User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Also known as: Amoclan, Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Amoxicillin/clavulanate.

Amoxicillin/clavulanate Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 383 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"I took amox/clav for three days, then spent the next ten days with a rash over every single inch of my body that itched 24 hours a day. Got rid of the UTI, but I couldn't leave the house for over a week - couldn't stand clothes on my skin. The only thing that helped was scalding water, so I showered several times a day when the Benadryl would wear off. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!"

calf (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After taking this for 3 days for a UTI infection, my vision was so blurry I could hardly read. I called the doctor and he changed my medication and in a day the blurriness went away. I don't know if the medication works, but it scared me that my vision was going and stopped it right away."

byn (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I was prescribed 250/125 Augmentin 3x daily for a bad UTI that was turning into a kidney infection and hadn't responded to Cipro. The fatigue, fever, and chills are bad enough with a UTI, but add Augmentin and it amplified it by 10. I have been in bed since I started taking it two days ago, I can't stop shaking and my joints feel like they're going to explode! Not to mention the vivid, hallucenenic type nightmares and the constant feeling of paranoia and feeling on the brink of a panic attack!! If you have anxiety like I do DO NOT TAKE THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE TO!!! I had a mental breakdown about taking another dose as I don't feel I can handle these side effects much longer. 9/10 would not take again, doesn't seem to be helping the infection"

NeverAgain94 (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Amox Clav 2x day for 7 days for my urinary tract infection. On the 3rd day, I had pain in my right knee. 4th day right knee was worse and left knee hurt too. 5th day, other joints became warm and ached. 6th day I was limping from pain in right knee. 7th day, limping and knees were swollen. 8th day (today,) pain in knees and limping. Had to ice knees to keep going through the day."

conbro (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Feeling horrendous, like I'm being poisoned! Was prescribed this after a trip to A&E with an upper UTI/kidney infection. I don't normally take meds and I'm trying to avoid antibiotics as I have leaky gut but the Dr urged me to take them as the infection was so bad. Anyway, the first day or 2 weren't too bad but then I woke up and felt like I'd been hit by a freight train. Here are some of the things I've been experiencing: Nausea, bloating, thrush, severe migraine like headaches, loss of appetite, depression and mood swings, paranoia, anxiety, dehydration due to constant urination, burning pain in my limbs and a stiff neck, a feeling of being hungover each morning, dizziness and 'brain fog' and a dry cough! Never taking these again!!!"

LauraH1981 June 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Starting in February 2017 I started to develop pain in the scrotum and testicle area. The pain has gone on until mid-April. I have only been able to have sex a couple of times because the pain is very severe. I was ruled out for STDs and sonograms seemed normal. Apparently, because of weightlifting while having the bladder full, I had chemical backflow which caused epididymitis (infection of the tubes connecting testicles to the urethra) and orchitis (infection of the testicles). I went through doxycycline for 14 days and nothing. I started Cipro but the side effects were devastating, it is poison (read it on your own online). I started Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium 875 mg 3 days ago and I am starting to feel better for the first time in ages"

Ron86 April 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Went to a doctors and was initially prescribed Trimethoprim for a UTI but following a 3 day course developed a temperature and vomiting so was admitted to hospital and they prescribed me Amoxiclav 3 times a day for 10 days. Absolutely vile stuff, think out of the 8 tablets I vomited violently after 5 and the other 3 I was sat there clutching a sick bowl feeling like I was going to vomit for hours. I've spoke to my doctor and now been changed to Ciprofloxacin so fingers crossed I have more luck on this one. But would not recommend Amoxiclav one bit, made me feel 400 times worse than I already did."

Becksxx February 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My husband is taking this to treat his kidney infection from a 10 mm kidney stone, also a UTI and high temperature. *Its been a fantastic medication for him. * Took his fever away. instantly * Treated UTI * Treated infection. All of them * Recommended This medication acting saved him when the Hospital sent him home with a extremely high temperature of 102.7 - 104.3. He was badly dehydrated fighting a kidney infection and a UTI and trying to pass a 10 millimeter kidney stone. His urologist said he should have been admitted and treated immediately and not sent home with a fever. If it wasn't for the antibiotics, he probably would have died or went into septic shock. His surgery is Monday for stone removal laser surgery."

Julia k (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Oh my god. Worst experience ever. Though I had food poisoning I have been on and off of the toilet at least 7 or 8 times within 5 hours at work with extreme, awful diarrhea. It is making me want to cry it is so awful. I can't drink water, I already threw up for about 13 minutes and my stomach is hurting like no other. DO NOT TAKE THIS ... TORTURE"

Bellchachalo August 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Had UTI. Took Augmentin 875 twice a day for 2 weeks. Worked like a charm. Took it with Greek Yogurt and had no gastrointestinal problems."

Dave 2 March 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin ES-600 (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I am currently on day 5 of a 10 day course of augmentin Es 600 5ml 2x a day for a high count e coli UTI. This is my 3rd antibiotic for this. It's working. Killing the bacteria. I am having yeast like issue even though I'm on 3 probiotics a day and loose stool. I also have bad muscle soreness and pain if I do the slightest activity. I will update after I finish the course but wanted to aware of these strong side effects."

Santa dee September 3, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I was given Augmentin to take after I Got an ear infection in the left ear but also had a perferated ear drum on the right. I went to the drs after a week and not only had the infection started to heal I now had an infection in both ears. He prescribed me more and seemed stumped as to why i was not improving. Its now been 2 weeks and I have suffered diarrhea and have been dealing with thrush for the past 3 days. On top of this I am constantly in a massive state of confusion and my skin is dry and red, my pill have ceased to work. I have stopped taking them and am seeing the dr tomorrow. Not only did the antibiotics not help my original problem now i have a whole list of other issues i need to fix."

Anonymous August 15, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed amoxicillin clavulanate for a urinary tract infection and I had very mild side effects. I had a slight headache for the first few days but after that I felt fine. I would definitely take this medicine again."

Ga peach (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "After a few days taking Augmentin I had shortness of breath, dizziness and my tongue starting to swell up. My skin felt like was on fire. I had to go to ER, doctor there said I was allergic to that medicine."

Donna louise (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 5, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I took this for my urinary tract infection, and although it cleared that up, one of the side effects of this medicine was diarrhea and thrush. I got both, but the thrush was the worst. I had to stop the course of antibiotics before I should have because of the severity of my thrush which I also passed on to my partner, oh joy. I stopped taking it now 4 days ago and I still have a mild dose of thrush even though I have taken 2 Canestan tablets and now a Pessary... fingers crossed this should be the end of it."

ohjoy4me October 24, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I was on Augmentin twice a day for 7 days. I thought I would have diarrhea and cramps, headaches all the fun stuff with antibiotics but all that happened to me is about 2 hours after taking it I found myself VERY sleepy which it was bedtime anyways. Just try to take it 2 to 3 hours BEFORE bed so it won't upset you stomach while you are sleeping. Also what really helped me is drinking Dan Active yogurt so I get no diarrhea while taking it and it works well but I also was taking Culturelle (Probiotics). That AND the yogurt helped with diarrhea very well. "

Melani June 5, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had prostrate cancer, and a very bad kidney infection for over 4 years. The doctor had prescribed many different medications, but nothing worked for over 4 years. He finally prescribed Amoxicillin and Clavulanate, Within 6 hours 99% of the burning had disappeared, and I could finally sleep more than 1 hour at a time. Great medicine for me."

James E.A. November 2, 2010

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been put on Augmentin 875mg-125mg twice a day for a urinary tract/kidney infection (E.coli strain). I have taken this medication before and so I wasn't concerned about any serious side effects. This medication works well for me, which says a lot considering I do have serious side effects to many things (compazine, droperidol, erythromycin). I felt better within 1 day of taking my dose and the only problem I am experiencing is a strange rattle/"percolating" feeling in my chest when I breathe. It's annoying but not preventing me from breathing, walking around or even going to work. I have taken a daily probiotic pill (Natures Way Primadophilus refrigerated) for years and I believe this is what prevents any upset stomach or yeast issues."

lyddy August 9, 2010