User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Also known as: Augmentin, Amoclan, Augmentin XR

Amoxicillin / clavulanate has an average rating of 5.7 out of 10 from a total of 51 ratings for the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection. 47% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 41% reported a negative effect.

Amoxicillin/clavulanate Rating Summary

5.7/10 average rating

Compare all 290 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

CJ · Taken for less than 1 month May 8, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I have had recurring UTI’s and have tried just about ever antibiotic and nothing else has helped me. Cephalexin did nothing and I am allergic to Bactrim. Cipro caused me to have severe tendinitis in my Archilles tendon. However I am doing well on Augmentin and can put up with the loose stools as I started feeling better by day 3. Taking a Probitrinol probiotic is helping me as Florastor did not work for me. Drink plenty of water and get lots of rest. Not all medications work for everyone so trial and error will work the best.”

Melani June 5, 2011

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I was on Augmentin twice a day for 7 days. I thought I would have diarrhea and cramps, headaches all the fun stuff with antibiotics but all that happened to me is about 2 hours after taking it I found myself VERY sleepy which it was bedtime anyways. Just try to take it 2 to 3 hours BEFORE bed so it won't upset you stomach while you are sleeping. Also what really helped me is drinking Dan Active yogurt so I get no diarrhea while taking it and it works well but I also was taking Culturelle (Probiotics). That AND the yogurt helped with diarrhea very well. ”

Sarah · Taken for less than 1 month January 11, 2021

“amoxicillin with clavulanate has been the best treatments for my re occurring UTI! I get about 6 a year and this is by far the best medication to treat it. Fast results, and not left with horrible side effects like other antibiotics.”

Kris · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2020

“I just finished a 5 day course of 500mg amoxicillin/clavulanate every 12 hours for a reaccuring UTI that I had for more than a month. I took 2 courses of macrodantin and 1 course of bactrim only for it to come back each time 2 day's after stopping the treatments. I had no problems at all with this one. Absolutely no side effects and I was able to take it on a completely empty stomach. I love amoxicillin/clavulunate, finally cured my rUTI.”

LauraH1981 June 12, 2017

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Feeling horrendous, like I'm being poisoned! Was prescribed this after a trip to A&E with an upper UTI/kidney infection. I don't normally take meds and I'm trying to avoid antibiotics as I have leaky gut but the Dr urged me to take them as the infection was so bad. Anyway, the first day or 2 weren't too bad but then I woke up and felt like I'd been hit by a freight train. Here are some of the things I've been experiencing: Nausea, bloating, thrush, severe migraine like headaches, loss of appetite, depression and mood swings, paranoia, anxiety, dehydration due to constant urination, burning pain in my limbs and a stiff neck, a feeling of being hungover each morning, dizziness and 'brain fog' and a dry cough! Never taking these again!!!”

HomeDoc August 12, 2018

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Augmentin has worked really well on my recent UTI. I started 2 a day Augmentin for 7 days along with copious amounts of Cranberry Juice (see References below) and within less than a day temp was down from 103F to 99F. Pain had dropped from level 8 to a level 2 in a day. Take with yogurt or with a meal, increase fluid and fiber intake. Finish all the medicine even though your symptoms have gone after a few days. Prevention is the best approach. DO Wash hands thoroughly after wiping and before any contact near your urinary tract. References: Kontiokari, T., Sundqvist, K., Nuutinen, M., Pokka, T., Koskela, M., & Uhari, M. (2001). Randomised trial of cranberry-lingonberry juice and Lactobacillus GG drink for the prevention of urinary tract infections in women. Bmj, 322(7302), 1571. Howell, A. B., & Foxman, B. (2002). Cranberry juice and adhesion of antibiotic-resistant uropathogens. JAMA: the journal of the American Medical Association, 287(23), 3082-3083.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2018

“Ok. Let me start off by saying this medication has been great. I was prescribed 875mg 2x daily for 5 days. I was first prescribed Macrobid, but that made me sick on the first dose so my doctor switched to Augmentin. Some of these reviews unfortunate, BUT REMEMBER. Antibiotics work differently for everyone. Drugs like Flagyl and Macrobid make me violently ill, but Augmentin/Amoxicillin drugs have been incredibly helpful. I did have a headache and on and off nausea throughout the week, but it is very tolerable. Take it with food, plenty of water, and a daily probiotic. Also, try to avoid coffee, as it intensified my nausea. There is no way to know how your body will react unless you try it, so don't be scared like I was. If you do get sick, there are always other options. I should also mention that it cleared up my UTI symptoms after about 48 hours.”

Ga peach · Taken for less than 1 month September 9, 2014

“I was prescribed amoxicillin clavulanate for a urinary tract infection and I had very mild side effects. I had a slight headache for the first few days but after that I felt fine. I would definitely take this medicine again.”

slbbb · Taken for less than 1 month November 26, 2018

“I had to take this medicine a lot as a child and never had any problems. I was prescribed it for a UTI, and since becoming an adult I’ve developed a phobia for medication due to previous bad experiences. I will say I’ve had panic attacks after taking it as well as horrible palpitations, but I feel that is my anxiety rather than the medication itself. Cleared up my infection within 3 days. I had no side effects other than the ones mentioned above. I ate before taking it, drank plenty of water, and also ate yogurt with live cultures. If you’re nervous about taking it I was too, but everything ended up being fine. Luckily that is the case for the majority of people.”

Lou Lou341983 December 16, 2017

“Hi I just wanted to share my experience to put some people's mind at ease about taking this medication. Before I started I read all the reviews which completely freaked me out and I was terrified to take them but had no choice in the end as my UTI was progressing and getting worse after a week with bad kidney pain. I started them last night with absolutely no side effects yet and already feeling better. I slept all night last night without the need to go to the toilet as previously. Please try to read the really bad reviews with a pitch of salt. I have been taking them with a meal which I think has helped and also probiotics to protect my gut. Just wanted to share a positive experience of this drug.”

NeverAgain94 · Taken for less than 1 month September 6, 2017

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I was prescribed 250/125 Augmentin 3x daily for a bad UTI that was turning into a kidney infection and hadn't responded to Cipro. The fatigue, fever, and chills are bad enough with a UTI, but add Augmentin and it amplified it by 10. I have been in bed since I started taking it two days ago, I can't stop shaking and my joints feel like they're going to explode! Not to mention the vivid, hallucenenic type nightmares and the constant feeling of paranoia and feeling on the brink of a panic attack!! If you have anxiety like I do DO NOT TAKE THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE TO!!! I had a mental breakdown about taking another dose as I don't feel I can handle these side effects much longer. 9/10 would not take again, doesn't seem to be helping the infection”

Pri · Taken for less than 1 month September 10, 2020

“This amoxicillin with clavulanate medication is amazing, works every time I take a course and it usually starts working within the first 2 hours of taking it. Instantly it takes away the burning and horrid feeling of UTI, absolutely amazing drug and my go to every time I feel a UTI coming on. You MUST eat food with it as it can really churn your stomach otherwise I cannot fault it 10/10...”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2020

“Should of paid attention more to the bad reviews about this drug instead of taking a chance on the good reviews. Took 1 pill of the 825mg-125 and ended up in the ER last night. SEVERE abdominal pain, diarrhea and vomiting bile. I vomited bile all the way to the ER in the ambulance. Had a full work up. CT scan, the works. I will never ever take this medication again. Super strong, I followed the directions and took it with enough food. I am now home from the hospital now and my stomach is still paying for it. This one pill destroyed me. I can't imagine what it did to people who took more or the full course.”

ohjoy4me October 24, 2011

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I took this for my urinary tract infection, and although it cleared that up, one of the side effects of this medicine was diarrhea and thrush. I got both, but the thrush was the worst. I had to stop the course of antibiotics before I should have because of the severity of my thrush which I also passed on to my partner, oh joy. I stopped taking it now 4 days ago and I still have a mild dose of thrush even though I have taken 2 Canestan tablets and now a Pessary... fingers crossed this should be the end of it.”

lyddy August 9, 2010

“I have been put on Augmentin 875mg-125mg twice a day for a urinary tract/kidney infection (E.coli strain). I have taken this medication before and so I wasn't concerned about any serious side effects. This medication works well for me, which says a lot considering I do have serious side effects to many things (compazine, droperidol, erythromycin). I felt better within 1 day of taking my dose and the only problem I am experiencing is a strange rattle/"percolating" feeling in my chest when I breathe. It's annoying but not preventing me from breathing, walking around or even going to work. I have taken a daily probiotic pill (Natures Way Primadophilus refrigerated) for years and I believe this is what prevents any upset stomach or yeast issues.”

Donna louise · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 5, 2013

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “After a few days taking Augmentin I had shortness of breath, dizziness and my tongue starting to swell up. My skin felt like was on fire. I had to go to ER, doctor there said I was allergic to that medicine.”

Ron86 April 17, 2017

“Starting in February 2017 I started to develop pain in the scrotum and testicle area. The pain has gone on until mid-April. I have only been able to have sex a couple of times because the pain is very severe. I was ruled out for STDs and sonograms seemed normal. Apparently, because of weightlifting while having the bladder full, I had chemical backflow which caused epididymitis (infection of the tubes connecting testicles to the urethra) and orchitis (infection of the testicles). I went through doxycycline for 14 days and nothing. I started Cipro but the side effects were devastating, it is poison (read it on your own online). I started Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium 875 mg 3 days ago and I am starting to feel better for the first time in ages”

Cil · Taken for 10 years or more October 10, 2020

“I’ve been suffering from UTI’s since I was 17 years and began being prescribed Augumentin about 20 years ago, it’s my miracle drug, knocks the UTI straight on the head. I have had a few Pneumonia infections in my life as well and Augumentin always clears them up very quickly. I have been caught out a few times of taking a pill not with food and boy ohh boy does it churn up the old stomach, if I take it with food and no issues. I never get any side effects from this drug maybe the odd headache or two, usually I wasn't drinking enough water, also a lot of people say it causes fatigue WELL wouldn’t you break the fatigue down to being run down by and actual infection so your body is tired anyways each time their own but this deserves a 10 out of 10 great drug...”

Julia k · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2017

“My husband is taking this to treat his kidney infection from a 10 mm kidney stone, also a UTI and high temperature. *Its been a fantastic medication for him. * Took his fever away. instantly * Treated UTI * Treated infection. All of them * Recommended This medication acting saved him when the Hospital sent him home with a extremely high temperature of 102.7 - 104.3. He was badly dehydrated fighting a kidney infection and a UTI and trying to pass a 10 millimeter kidney stone. His urologist said he should have been admitted and treated immediately and not sent home with a fever. If it wasn't for the antibiotics, he probably would have died or went into septic shock. His surgery is Monday for stone removal laser surgery.”

James E.A. November 2, 2010

“I had prostrate cancer, and a very bad kidney infection for over 4 years. The doctor had prescribed many different medications, but nothing worked for over 4 years. He finally prescribed Amoxicillin and Clavulanate, Within 6 hours 99% of the burning had disappeared, and I could finally sleep more than 1 hour at a time. Great medicine for me.”

Katy January 2, 2021

“Third times a charm: I am a 57 year ole woman. I have been prescribed this amoxicillin/clavulanate combo medication twice and had to quit taking it because it made me so ill. This time, I read the drug interactions and made sure I didn’t take any of those drugs with this, and took my pharmacist’s suggestions to take this medication 30 minutes after eating something substantial. That worked! I have taken it for two full days (four doses), and I have had no side effects at all. I’m so thankful!”

Unhappy September 16, 2020

“I was prescribed amoxicillin/clavulanate 500mg daily for 10 days for my UTI. Got heart palpitations and blood pressure was high. Didn’t realize it was the antibiotic causing this until until I finished it. I finished the last two pills and a few days later no more palpitations and pressure normal. The UTI cleared up.”

Anonymous August 25, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “This is a strong antibiotic and it’s horrible on the stomach.. after only a couple of hours, my entire stomach was hurting very badly with severe diarrhea and anxiety. I switched to Keflex hoping it’s better”

Katy · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2021

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Ok. I thought I could alleviate the absolutely horrible side effects associated with this medication by avoiding the adverse drug interactions and making sure I took each dose on a full stomach, but no. This is the antibiotic is awful. The debilitating side effects that I have experienced beginning on Day 4 are unrelenting nausea, headache and body aches. I can work and function with the flu, but this is worse than the flu. This is my third time attempting to take this medicine. I’ll never try it again. Avoid at all costs!”

Santa dee September 3, 2015

Augmentin ES-600 (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I am currently on day 5 of a 10 day course of augmentin Es 600 5ml 2x a day for a high count e coli UTI. This is my 3rd antibiotic for this. It's working. Killing the bacteria. I am having yeast like issue even though I'm on 3 probiotics a day and loose stool. I also have bad muscle soreness and pain if I do the slightest activity. I will update after I finish the course but wanted to aware of these strong side effects.”