User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Also known as: Amoclan, Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR

Learn more about Amoxicillin/clavulanate.

Amoxicillin/clavulanate Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 379 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"Went to a doctors and was initially prescribed Trimethoprim for a UTI but following a 3 day course developed a temperature and vomiting so was admitted to hospital and they prescribed me Amoxiclav 3 times a day for 10 days. Absolutely vile stuff, think out of the 8 tablets I vomited violently after 5 and the other 3 I was sat there clutching a sick bowl feeling like I was going to vomit for hours. I've spoke to my doctor and now been changed to Ciprofloxacin so fingers crossed I have more luck on this one. But would not recommend Amoxiclav one bit, made me feel 400 times worse than I already did."

Becksxx February 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"My husband is taking this to treat his kidney infection from a 10 mm kidney stone, also a UTI and high temperature. *Its been a fantastic medication for him. * Took his fever away. instantly * Treated UTI * Treated infection. All of them * Recommended This medication acting saved him when the Hospital sent him home with a extremely high temperature of 102.7 - 104.3. He was badly dehydrated fighting a kidney infection and a UTI and trying to pass a 10 millimeter kidney stone. His urologist said he should have been admitted and treated immediately and not sent home with a fever. If it wasn't for the antibiotics, he probably would have died or went into septic shock. His surgery is Monday for stone removal laser surgery."

Julia k (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Oh my god. Worst experience ever. Though I had food poisoning I have been on and off of the toilet at least 7 or 8 times within 5 hours at work with extreme, awful diarrhea. It is making me want to cry it is so awful. I can't drink water, I already threw up for about 13 minutes and my stomach is hurting like no other. DO NOT TAKE THIS ... TORTURE"

Bellchachalo August 18, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Had UTI. Took Augmentin 875 twice a day for 2 weeks. Worked like a charm. Took it with Greek Yogurt and had no gastrointestinal problems."

Dave 2 March 11, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Augmentin ES-600 (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I am currently on day 5 of a 10 day course of augmentin Es 600 5ml 2x a day for a high count e coli UTI. This is my 3rd antibiotic for this. It's working. Killing the bacteria. I am having yeast like issue even though I'm on 3 probiotics a day and loose stool. I also have bad muscle soreness and pain if I do the slightest activity. I will update after I finish the course but wanted to aware of these strong side effects."

Santa dee September 3, 2015

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I was given Augmentin to take after I Got an ear infection in the left ear but also had a perferated ear drum on the right. I went to the drs after a week and not only had the infection started to heal I now had an infection in both ears. He prescribed me more and seemed stumped as to why i was not improving. Its now been 2 weeks and I have suffered diarrhea and have been dealing with thrush for the past 3 days. On top of this I am constantly in a massive state of confusion and my skin is dry and red, my pill have ceased to work. I have stopped taking them and am seeing the dr tomorrow. Not only did the antibiotics not help my original problem now i have a whole list of other issues i need to fix."

Anonymous August 15, 2015

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I was prescribed amoxicillin clavulanate for a urinary tract infection and I had very mild side effects. I had a slight headache for the first few days but after that I felt fine. I would definitely take this medicine again."

Ga peach (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2014

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "After a few days taking Augmentin I had shortness of breath, dizziness and my tongue starting to swell up. My skin felt like was on fire. I had to go to ER, doctor there said I was allergic to that medicine."

Donna louise (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 5, 2013

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I took this for my urinary tract infection, and although it cleared that up, one of the side effects of this medicine was diarrhea and thrush. I got both, but the thrush was the worst. I had to stop the course of antibiotics before I should have because of the severity of my thrush which I also passed on to my partner, oh joy. I stopped taking it now 4 days ago and I still have a mild dose of thrush even though I have taken 2 Canestan tablets and now a Pessary... fingers crossed this should be the end of it."

ohjoy4me October 24, 2011

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I was on Augmentin twice a day for 7 days. I thought I would have diarrhea and cramps, headaches all the fun stuff with antibiotics but all that happened to me is about 2 hours after taking it I found myself VERY sleepy which it was bedtime anyways. Just try to take it 2 to 3 hours BEFORE bed so it won't upset you stomach while you are sleeping. Also what really helped me is drinking Dan Active yogurt so I get no diarrhea while taking it and it works well but I also was taking Culturelle (Probiotics). That AND the yogurt helped with diarrhea very well. "

Melani June 5, 2011

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I had prostrate cancer, and a very bad kidney infection for over 4 years. The doctor had prescribed many different medications, but nothing worked for over 4 years. He finally prescribed Amoxicillin and Clavulanate, Within 6 hours 99% of the burning had disappeared, and I could finally sleep more than 1 hour at a time. Great medicine for me."

James E.A. November 2, 2010

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I have been put on Augmentin 875mg-125mg twice a day for a urinary tract/kidney infection (E.coli strain). I have taken this medication before and so I wasn't concerned about any serious side effects. This medication works well for me, which says a lot considering I do have serious side effects to many things (compazine, droperidol, erythromycin). I felt better within 1 day of taking my dose and the only problem I am experiencing is a strange rattle/"percolating" feeling in my chest when I breathe. It's annoying but not preventing me from breathing, walking around or even going to work. I have taken a daily probiotic pill (Natures Way Primadophilus refrigerated) for years and I believe this is what prevents any upset stomach or yeast issues."

lyddy August 9, 2010