User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Also known as: Amoclan, Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR

Learn more about Amoxicillin/clavulanate.

Amoxicillin/clavulanate Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 253 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate to treat Sinusitis

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Went in to the urgent care thinking I had strep but found it was a sinus infection. Been using this for 4 days now and I thought it was helping pretty good and the pain had went away some but then now I feel like its going backwards and I keep getting ear and throat pain again but only at night and I seem to feel better during the day time."

ItsAng September 19, 2016

"It's a very strong anyibiotic. If you take it, make sure you also take a probiotic about 3 hours between doses. You shouldn't have bowel issues of you do this. And if your doctor is any good, he/she should be telling you this. Or eat some yogurt. This stuff is powerful on your system."

Stikmi September 4, 2016

"I have continued sinus infections and augmentin is the only thing that helps but just had a liver test done and its inflamed so not sure if its augmentin or other meds. Please be aware it can affect your liver months after stopping it. I'm going to try saline nose sprays on a regular basis and stop taking this antibiotic"

Mikes bunny (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 30, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I took Augmentin starting last week for a sinus infection. The first few days were fine, and I felt relief from the pressure of the infection. However, by day 5, my stomach hurt so badly, and around my body to the back. I could not eat. My stomach was rock hard and I felt so bloated. I could only suffer through day 8. I had to stop. I cannot tolerate this medication, and will never take it again."

Patricea August 27, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Prescribed a 10 day round for sinus infection in February 2016. Immediately developed digestive issues, cramping, loose bowel movements, gas and bloating. It is now 6 months later and I am still battling the issues. Doctors first thought it was UC, but after colonoscopy now thinks IBD or IBS, maybe Celiac. I'm headed to hospital for additional testing."

KatStevens123 August 24, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I was prescribed Augmentin 875 mg 2times a day for 10 days... I took it for 5 days and it seemed to be working to clear up the sinus infection but I had to stop taking it because it gave me the worst yeast infection I have ever had in my life. I read someone else's comments about their tongue swelling and having ulcers on it, thus is oral thrush or a yeast infection on the tongue. I had to take 7 days of diflucan and eat plain yogurt to get rid of it. And I had to stop taking the Augmentin. I tried to start back taking it in halves but the yeast infection in my mouth came back. So I had to get more plain yogurt with probiotics to get rid of it. I can not take this medicine."

Marshie August 23, 2016

"Sinus infections have controlled my life for about 3 years. After trying many antibiotics, a specialist had me try this antibiotic. I have used it 4 times and it has always worked while also taking prednisone. Using steam as a decongestant has also been a big help. If you have a sinus infection, I highly recommend this drug. From reading the other reviews I am fortunate to not have any side effects. So use with caution the first time."

Bookie72 August 19, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I was prescribed Augmentin for a sinus infection. Worst medication experience of my life. I never get headaches, and after just three doses I had the worst headaches. My head throbbed. I couldn't sleep. My vision was impaired. I had excruciating stomach pains. I was far sicker than I was prior to going to the doctor. I will never take this horrible medication again. Beware of the side effects if you do."

Forever Anonymous August 8, 2016

"sinusitis every year for the past 5. Its the only med that has worked. Had tried other antibiotics to no avail. the infection and side effects used to last 2 to 3 months. taking amox clav licked in 10 days. Had a couple of side effects but nothing major."

billz July 31, 2016

"I get sinusitis a few times a year and this works the best out of all meds! After being sick for a week on a different antibiotic my Dr changed to Augmentin I feel better already and it's only day 2!"

Anonymous July 29, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "As a sufferer of many sinus and ear infections, I knew with this 90 degree heat in ACs with poor air quality that I was going to get sick. Got sick last Wednesday with sinus issues, got worse so went to primary. Dr said didn't think I had a sinus or ear infection so told me to continue on netty pots and Sudafed 24. She did give me a prescription if I wasn't feeling better by Monday (today). After a weekend still feeling miserable, got prescription. Usually I get amoxicillin, and when looked at the script, it had amoxicillin clav so I didn't think anything of it. I pick up the script. Take pill on way to work. Sick within an hour. Googled and found was given generic of Augmentin. Never again! Threw up for an hour straight - not worth it!"

KAB1234 July 18, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Took Augmentin for severe sinusitis, after 2 hours started vomiting it would not stop, rushed to medical centre, given an injection to stop the vomiting didn't work, vomiting continued until only bile and blood was coming out, then given Zofran wafers finally the vomiting subsided, but the stomach and chest pain continued all night. Worst experience :("

Bankstown July 12, 2016

"Prescribed after repeated ear infections and the last cold that turned into a sinus infection. Felt better by the second day and sinuses opened up. I did have a bout of diarrhea on day 2 but had had soft bowels prior to starting this medication, so I cannot be certain that it was from that. I took Pepto Bismol tablets throughout that morning and did not have it again. I did feel tired, had a slight stomach ache as if carrying around a brick the first few day, feverish/chills but not really as well as somewhat sedated and "out of it" but not unable to function. I was glad to come across this Web site on day 2 of my treatment. I alleviated the side effects by taking with Greek yogurt, a probiotic pill, a full glass of water, and a starch."

Mrs Wiggins (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2016

"I was perscribed amoxicillin clavulanate for a sinus infection with no symptoms only extreme pain in my face, pressure in my head, and in the back of my neck every single day for about 10 days, xray showed i had build up in my face, so doctor perscribed amox clav 500mg twice a day for 10 days. after day 6 i started developing tingling and numbness throught my entire body, my skin senses are gone , i cant feel when i scratch my skin or pinch it, my feet are tingling every day and hands feel extremely numb and cold, i dont reccomend this medication to any one ot ruined my nerves in my body and senses , please ask for another medication , this ruin my feeling forever !!"

Antibioticsgirl June 28, 2016

"It's working but I am quitting. I was told by the doctor that the clavulanate could trigger gastrointestinal side effects. Should have been my first clue. I have IBS and I'm emetophobic. I took my 5th pill (of 14) and within 15-20 minutes I was in agony. I had diarrhea the morning before, but wrote it off on the IBS. It should have been a warning. Crippling stomach pain, gas, massive headache, and more diarrhea. Had an anxiety attack and had to take a Xanax. Calling my doc in the morning to get off of it. And yes, I was taking the pills with food, probiotics, etc. They didn't help me."

Anonymous June 17, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I am at the end of day 3 of the medication and I can't do it anymore. The side effects are making life miserable, just in a different way than I started with. I went in because of the headache and congestion that would not respond to anything over the counter plus vertigo. The vertigo went away after the first day of meds but the headache is significantly worse. Additionally, my stomach hurts really bad and constantly feels like I have overeaten a mass amount all the time, whether I have eaten or not. I have also has some mild diarrhea. So not worth it for me!"

CaliPoppy June 16, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Augmentin knocks out sinus infections faster and better than any other medication I've tried. Eat some greek yogurt while taking it and you won't have any stomach issues."

Blancabell (taken for 10 years or more) June 4, 2016

"Bad bad diarrhea i wouldn't give this medication to my anyone. It cleared up my sinusitis but gave me strait diarrhea for 6 days strait that's the only side affect i had it was terrible."

Anonymous June 4, 2016

"I took this for a sinus infection and not only did it not work but after I stopped taking it my face was so swollen it looked like I had gotten onto a fight. My face is hot and feverish next time I'm staying away from doctors!"

Chehaliswa June 2, 2016

"Going on day 3 of taking this medication; twice a day.I have seasonal sinusitis accompanied by severe pharyngitis (not strep), headaches, ear aches, and fever. Oh and by the way, I've either been breastfeeding and/or pregnant for the last 3 years! So far, the throat/ear pain (which were the worst of my ailments) went away within 24 hrs, my congestion cut by half, and headaches/fever, gone instantly. No side effects to speak of. Maybe a slight change in stool consistency but that's to be expected with antibiotics. As for my breastmilk, the trace amounts my baby is getting thru breastfeeding actually helped HER congestion! Killin two birds with one stone.. "

Sinusitis & breastfeeding (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2016

"I am a 52 healthy 4 days a week workout no health problems at all in my life. Have this medicine for 4 days and sent me to the hospital for 4 days. Chills High Fever, body ache and an infection I previously did not have before: c Diff and a bloody eye. If this medicine do this to a healthy woman I cannot image what would do to somebody not that healthy"

Previouslyhealthy (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "DO NOT TAKE AUGMENTIN! I am healthy (run marathons-no pre-existing cond.) & never take meds. I was prescribed this for headache (after vehicle accident) and a little sinusitis at Onpoint. I was so sick & after 5 days (my heart starting hurting, lost all healthy bacteria (worst diarrhea & stripped stomach lining) had fiery red rash after 10 days all over my body! It took 2 wks for the rash to go away after I got off Augmentin. My body systems have never been same!! destroyed them.THIS IS TOXIC tell your doctors too). If you MUST take antibiotic use something safer. Also, my husband (really healthy) didn't quite believe me. He was prescribed it he was flat on his back/couch vomiting & couldn't MOVE after 2 days! he stopped immediately"

Anonymous May 19, 2016

"after getting a sinus infection I was prescribed this medication ate before I took it and within an hour and a half had a severe headache complete nausea with stomach cramping I was in a horrible mood fell asleep for an hour with a pillow pulled into my stomach woke up feeling better I regret having to use again strong medication major side effects here it works great so I'll try and get through this pray for me"

skysbluenblack (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2016

"It seems to help but I had a side effect that was unexpected and before I say this I am being totally for real about it. I had normal side effect of nausea but then a strange one. I became aroused and turned on very easily. This is not a normal thing for me either. Not that I am complaining just think its weird. Anyone else have this happen???"

AllieBug33 (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2016

"I've taken this medication twice for a sinus infection. Both times I've used it I got very nauseous and on the verge of throwing up. It's so bad I can't do much but lay down and sleep. I'm never using this medication again."

Carly Roman April 12, 2016