User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Also known as: Amoclan, Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR

Learn more about Amoxicillin/clavulanate.

Amoxicillin/clavulanate Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 253 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate to treat Sinusitis

"Pro: Got relief from bad sinus infection within one day Cons: Supremely hard on my stomach and energy level. If I was not nauseous, I had severe stomach pains and chest dagger like pangs. Also had the sweats. And yes all this even after taking probiotics and with food."

UmaGo (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2017

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I found this to be a safe and effective drug. I have chronic sinusitis. A 20 day course puts the sinusitis in remission. I also have small intestine bacterial overgrowth. While I was prescribed the medication for sinusitis, I found a spectacular improvement in my acute and chronic small intestinal bacterial overgrowth."

sinusitis/small intestines (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 16, 2017

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Horrible, horrible experience. I'm a healthy (no pre existing conditions, exercises regularly, maintains healthy diet) female in my mid 30s. Rarely take meds, especially antibiotics, so when I do they usually work well. I was a little nervous to take augmentin because the dose was so strong, but the doc was adamant because I had a very severe sinus infection. By the third dose my whole body was reacting. No relief from the sinus congestion, horrible headache, very anxious/nervous, nightmares, night sweats, zero appetite, insomnia, blurred vision, horrible horrible yeast infection (I have never had a yeast infection in my entire life). Called the doc hysterically crying and was told to stop taking it immediately. Stay far away!!"

JennsReviews January 12, 2017

"I've been taking Amoxicillin Clav 875 for only 2 days now and already starting to feel better. No other issues as of yet."

Jonscott63 January 9, 2017

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "This drug was the worse. I'm still recovering. Starting taking this on 12/28 for SI. I take daily probiotics and increased them since I expected some stomach upset. At first not so bad but by Friday 12/30. The yeast infection from hell reared its ugly head. I had Diflucan on stand by just in case and took it 12/31 and stopped Augmentin altogether Nothing and normally it's hours when I feel relief. I had to get Monistat 1 on New Years to help fight it. Just got relief as of 1/4. Digestive still not normal. Never again. Unless my life depends on it."

TeePooler January 7, 2017

"Day 3 out of 10 on this medication and the whole time I feel nausea my heart feels like it's going to pop out of my chest and I feel like I can't breath properly what a nightmare"

ILizz (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

"The doctor was hesitant to prescibe an antibiotic, since Kaiser is against them unless you are knocking on deaths door. But after suffering pounding headaches for a month, terrible mucous in the back of my throat and finally shortness of breath, the doctor agreed to prescribe Augmentin for sinusitis. I had an earache, constant violent sneezing, exhaustion and head congestion that was only continuing to worsen. After TWO pills, I felt lIke I'd been reborn. I did wake up at 2 am with the worst heartburn of my life, though, and chewed at least 15 Tums, took 2 Pepcid Ac with milk, and still my guts were on fire. Take this medication with food, and probiotics at intervals."

Anonymous January 6, 2017

"I don't like taking medication, u get a bit 25 to 30 pills & I won't take them all because I hat taking pills, they cause other problems 4 me , like a yeast infection, so then you have to medication for that. #1 medicine that I would rate a #10....is a zpak!!! Knocks sinus out in 5 day!"

A.p. (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2017

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Started a 10 day regimen 3 days ago for a sinus infection but stopped today. Terrible GI reaction with diarrhea. Also now having restless legs at night."

Sarah223 December 31, 2016

Augmentin XR (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Have frequent sinus infections & have been prescribed Augmentin XR whenever I have a severe sinus infection for about the past 17 years now. It always has done the job & taken care of the infection. The only downside is the GI side effects (i.e. stomach cramps, diarrhea, etc)."

abercrombie4112 (taken for 10 years or more) December 29, 2016

"I was prescribed this medication for sinusitis. After taking the pills twice a day for 5 days out of the ten I needed I began developing side effects- swelling of the throat, sweaty hands and feet with tingling/burning, tingling in both arms, swelling of lower legs and ankles, tight chest, pain on front and back or chest, pain on both sides of my neck, unable to sleep flat, nausea and constant gas and indigestion. Dry mouth, terrible taste in mouth with white coated tongue. My blood pressure jumped to 144/98 from the usual 117/80. I thought I was having a heart attack! The pain in my chest was unbearable. I am hoping all these symptoms resolve on their own after stopping the antibiotic. All of my medical tests came back normal. "

Side Effects to the ER (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2016

"My face was inflamed...red hot cheeks. I figured it was a type of allergic reaction but I was desperate to cure the issue I had been experiencing for 3 months. As it turned out antibiotics didn't work at all because it was a fungus due to root canal."

Tamale lee December 22, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I loved the Antibiotic. If you take probiotics and eat yogurt you'll be fine. If you're sensitive to antibiotics and get yeast infections easily. I recommend asking you GP for diflucan 2 pills take it 2 or 3 days into the antibiotic course then on day 6 or 7."

becca313 December 15, 2016

"It's been 3.5 days that I am taking 875mg /125mg of clauvulin why do I feel still congested?"

Galit78 December 15, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I would NEVER recommend this drug to ANYONE! Took 1 pill about 3 hours before bed. Finally got to bed at 3 am, and layed there for an hour with such nausea I had to get up. Tried to take some Pepto-Bismol for it and no sooner than I took it, I got violently ill! I was vomiting the rest of the night until around 6 am. I have no problem at all with taking regular Amoxicillin, so whatever else is in here, my body rejects it strongly! One minute I'd be sweating like it was 120 degrees, the next I'd have the chills so bad it felt like I was outside with shorts and a tank top on in the middle of winter (like now). NEVER AGAIN! Stay as far away from this drug as possible!"

Hezz806 (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2016

"DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICINE. I got it prescribed to me for sinusitis and within an hour of taking 1 pill with food I felt severe nausea. It's been 7 hours since I took it and I still feel very nauseous with no appetite. Doctors will prescribe anything to make money. I would never recommend this pill to anybody."

Anonymous December 11, 2016

"Took Augmentin for sinus and ear infection . After 3 days of stomach pain, I stopped. Called Doctor and he said take it on a full stomach. I did what he suggested and spent the night in the bathroom throwing up. This medicine is insane!! Throwing it in the trash. Don't you think I should get my $55.00 diollars back that I spent on it? But of course I won't."

Cindi. December 1, 2016

"My problem is I'll always get a yeast infection on this drug, no matter how much yogurt and probiotic pills I take. It also will make me a little sick to my stomach if I don't eat something with it. Otherwise, as long as I really have a sinus infection, it takes care of it."

diyeana (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2016

"Just finished 14 days at 875 MG twice a day. I was asymptomatic to begin with, but when I saw my ENT for follow up after sinus surgery in September, he found some yellow mucus in my sinus. It had not been bothering me, though. After the first week on this drug with no side effects except mild stomach discomfort for two days, I then became very stuffy, very mucusy, and have been blowing my nose all day long every day. This has been going on for 9 days now. Just took my last pill this morning. The antibiotic essentially gave me a sinus infection. I'll see the doc again in a week, but I'll never take antibiotics again. I'll start using andrographis again on a regular basis. It's a Chinese herbal antibiotic."

Connie in Humboldt (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2016

"Took Amox/KClav for sinusitis. After 3 days caused severe back pain radiating through right side. Pain became so bad that I stopped med after 3.5 days. Was told by nurse and pharmacist likely due to kidneys' being adversely affected. Called dr who ordered lowered dose who believes GI affected. Pain still so bad and refuse to take any meds until pain subsides as symptoms of med is far worse than sinusitis."

TSeu (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

"The first time I took the new version of Augmentin I truly prayed for death within hours! But it is the only medication that helps me with my severe sinusitis ... so I decided to take a 1/2 pill 4 times per day WITH FOOD and I had zero side effects ... so I'm praying I have the same experience this time! Nothing worse than have the sinus pressure and vomiting! I hope this helps!!"

Pakrfan November 3, 2016

"I went to a CVS walk-in clinic and was diagnosed with a sinus infection. Was prescribed amoxicillin/clav for 10-days. After 2nd day I started feeling better, but on the 9th day I developed a severe allergic reaction. Horrendous rash that spread all over my body. Terrible itching/burning. Wound up on prednisone and other drugs for 2 weeks to counteract the reaction to the antibiotic. Had no idea I was allergic so could not advise person at CVS, but it has been three weeks of hell."

Babi1 (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2016

"Have had sinusitis and severe headaches full on for a year. Tried every home remedy available. Finally saw an ENT in March who prescribed Amoxicillin-Clav. I tried for 3 days and the side effects are horrifying. I followed the directions and ate before I took it. Doesn't matter, gas, bloating and nauseous for 3 whole days. Back to home remedies for a while but I am still sick. So I am giving this Amox-Clav another try. I have been throwing up for 3 days. This drug must be very hard on your stomach and liver and would definitely not recommend this if you have to work or have kids to care for."

Sickie123456 September 27, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Went in to the urgent care thinking I had strep but found it was a sinus infection. Been using this for 4 days now and I thought it was helping pretty good and the pain had went away some but then now I feel like its going backwards and I keep getting ear and throat pain again but only at night and I seem to feel better during the day time."

ItsAng September 19, 2016

"It's a very strong anyibiotic. If you take it, make sure you also take a probiotic about 3 hours between doses. You shouldn't have bowel issues of you do this. And if your doctor is any good, he/she should be telling you this. Or eat some yogurt. This stuff is powerful on your system."

Stikmi September 4, 2016