User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Also known as: Amoclan, Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Amoxicillin/clavulanate.

Amoxicillin/clavulanate Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate to treat Sinusitis

"I was given Augmentin for a sinus infection that I had been dealing with for over a week. I was prescribed 2 pills a day for 10 days. Taking 1 pill was enough for me to know that I never want to put Augmentin into my body again. I took it right after eating a full meal, but that didn't help. About 45 minutes after taking my first pill I was curled up in the fetal position with horrible stomach pain and chills. I also experienced extreme panic and anxiety. My heart was racing and I was having crazy thoughts. There's no way I could get through 10 days of that, it wasn't worth the way it made me that night. Everyone is different, but I'd strongly suggest asking for an alternative if your doctor tries to prescribe it to you."

Aren5629 November 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Knocked out a sinus infection in 4 days. No stomach discomfort(took Rephresh probiotic and Florastor). Got a pretty bad yeast infection but diflucan knocked that out."

Dreamgal31 (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "So today I started Augmentin & I’m 18... so after I took it, I felt light headed & very nauseous. Like so nauseous I was burping a lot. I haven’t made a Bowel movement since I’ve taken it so I don’t know for I have diarrhea.? And my stomach just HURTS. Should I stop taking it?"

LeahBae November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I received the medicine as a result of sinusitis diagnosis.Thank goodness.Once I observed that the dosage was 875mg every 12 hours it made sense that diarrhea was probably going to be eminent.I knew it was going to clean out all of the healthy bacteria in my intestinal tract.Sure enough after the first dose I got the diarrhea side effect. I immediately got a probitotic from my vitamin store to replace the healthy bacteria in my intestinal tract.It worked immediately and counter acted the side effect. I don't know why doctors don't tell you that you are going to need a probitotic with 875mg.I definitely made sure I ate with this medicine.I have been so happy after day 3 because my energy level came back and I can tell the mucus issue is less"

Tuff Tony (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I was prescribed Augmentin 875 mg every 12 hours 2 days ago . Today ( after 4 tabs) I began to have diarrhea and stomach aches . I was prescribed this drug because my indoor cat got loose outdoors and scared and scratched my hand and bit me. I am a senior lady who has had a blocked intestine before and after surgery got C Dif and am afraid to continue this drug as I may have a re occurrence. I'm stopping the dosage tonight and will see the MD tomorrow.I want off this drug! Oh, the reason I had C Dif was because I got Salmonella in the hospital and was given so much IV antibiotics."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This Rx is good, took my sinus migraine away for the first time in months. But the stomach and dizziness side effects suck. But it could be worse. I'm not sure whether or not to finish the bottle"

Milo Yaqui Warrior (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is a strong and multi purpose antibiotic. Yes you will get stomach pain, yes you will get loose stools and yes you get some other form of discomfort. But if you want to rid your upper respiratory infection quick and for good then this is the drug. No pain no gain. This drug almost guarantees that the original infection will not return. When it comes to sinuses you need to destroy all off the bad bacteria for good. Just reducing the bacteria with a mild antibiotic that agrees with you is certain to allow the same bacteria to grow and make you sick again a month or two in the future. Tough it up butter cup and destroy that bad bacteria for good."

Colddesertsnow October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Prescribed 2000mg spread over two tablets a day for sinusitis. Lasted 2 days on the medication and had to stop. Severe nausea and wretched, general ill feeling, incredibly upset stomachs with excessive bowel movements, to the point mucus was being passed. Thrush and exposure to further infection resulted. Doctor took me off them with immediate effect and being put on something else tomorrow."

Mcgmjp October 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took a single tablet. Within 1 hour I experienced the worst vomiting I had had in decades. Sadly, this had been a very effective drug for me in the past. I'll never take it again."

Hard "Harr" Harr (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribe this medicine for sinus infection. I thought I had taken it before, but maybe not. I started it on a Wednesday evening with the first dose to be taken every 12 hours. I believe it was the next day I started feeling nauseated after taking it. Saturday I was headed out, so grabbed my pills so I could take them after eating something. I got so nauseated I thought I would not make it back home, just a really bad ill feeling. By Friday evening I had diarrhea that has last into Sunday. I think I'm done taking this and will call the doctor tomorrow for something else because I also have a cough and the two don't mix very well."

MYH October 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I lasted 6 days on this. 2 pills every 12 hours. I had severe stomach cramps but it wasn't diarrhea. Eating helped a little bit with the vomiting feeling. I drank a lot of water as I felt dehydrated. I experienced insomnia everyday up until 6 am. Sleeping only 5 hrs a day maybe even 4 with an hour nap. My skin became very itchy and broke out in hives on my elbows and upper arms. My lower back and ankles also broke out in hives. The headache is just so bad...within the first dosage I had the headache immediately. I feel better from my ear infections, throat, nose and eyes...but the hives are still there..follow up with Dr asap."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Had such a bad sinus infection that my right eye and face was swelling. Got 875 Augmentin twice daily. On day 2 and swelling stopped and I can see out of eye. Sore throats and nose running because my sinuses are now draining! No GI or side effects. Love it so far."

Vicksterama386969 August 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Clav rarely works for my sinusitis even though docs love prescribing this one. I used this for my ludwig's angina swelling on the chin. Now my sinusitis is coming back! I noticed Biaxin works best. Try that one guys!!!"

Sinusitis King (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed amox-clav 875mg 2x a day for two weeks for infected adenoids in my sinuses. I had not been taking it with a full glass of water but had been taking it with an early afternoon and late evening meal. Doctor also prescribed Prilosec to be taking with it once a day. From start I noticed a little bit of nausea with extreme fatigue on days 2 & 3. On day four I woke up feel great assuming I slept better because the medicine must have been working. However two hours after lunch I had severe nausea and stomach cramps and burning along with severe diarrhea. Took 6 tums and the Prilosec earlier than normal and ate a lot plain crackers. Burning lessened just a bit. This medicine has awful side effects. Need to call doctor."

Is it worth it? (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"In Jan and now was prescribed this rubbish, twice no results and end up getting real amoxicillin. Both times I got this one I felt like my symptoms worsened two fold after 4 days on this. My diagnosis, Pansinusitus . I've never heard of this before, apparently it's the mother load of sinusitis involving infection in all 4 sinus. I had no fever, no nasal congestion, just severe fog and major headache and really large swollen glands under my Jaw, ears and neck all around. I'm so delirious I thought Sherlock was a made up word and laughed hysterically when someone mentioned it. Needless to say, this antibiotics doesn't do anything!"

Ifeellikedeath (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have my 5th sinus infection of the year (2017,) which caused my ear drum to rupture. My doc prescribed me a 500 mg dose, twice a day. Antibiotics in general upset my stomach and should be taken with food, so I made sure to take with a large meal. The one time I didn't was in a rush to get on the road for a trip, and I was nauseous the entire ride, but tums helped A LOT. The infection has cleared up quickly and my ear is draining a lot less fluid out. This has been able to do what four other antibiotics haven't. Take with a full meal, and you will be feeling much better soon!"

mysinuseshateme (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I will never take this drug again. I was prescribed a 10 day/twice a day dose for a sinus infection. I took one pill. Within 4 hrs of taking the pill I was experiencing fever like chills, tingling, nerve pain in my feet and restlessness. I had nightmares and a terrible night's sleep. The worst part is the headache I can't shake and the extreme fatigue. My head feels like it's in a vice. I've done nothing but sleep all day -- only moving to take Advil which barely touches the headache. I just assume suffer through the sinus infection rather than experience the past 24 hours on this drug."

Birdy53 July 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Don't ever use this, When I was 4 years old I was sick and the doctor give me augmentin. It effected me in a negative way, I used to throw up, pee (urninate) with blood, my skin was very pale and my eyes were yellow, and it caused me severe liver problems."

Nadaxx June 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For acute maxillary sinusitis. Day two, just taking the third dose already feeling better. The pain in my sinus is much diminished. So far I am very pleased using this product."

Frank E. June 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Every time I have had a sinus infection and been prescribed Augmentin 875 I feel so much better within a day or two"

Miss Sherry (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take amox-clav twice a day for an ear infection and sinusitis. I am on day 3 and so far, I have stopped coughing up green chunky mucous, yay! The mucous alone caused me to not desire food therefore I have lost weight (before starting amox-clav). I know to take probiotics with penicillin so I do not foresee a yeast infection as some have reported. I have experienced stomach grumbling and groans but no diarrhea yet (plus, I haven't eaten in days so I don't have anything in my stomach to get out). Amox-Clav is doing it's job. I'm not going to be a drama queen/crybaby about the side effects because this IS penicillin..not baby aspirin we're taking..just saying."

WindyCat (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"DON'T TAKE THE GENERIC! I have taken this antibiotic for all my sinus infections and never had any problems, but something is different. The manufacturer stopped making the 1000 mg's and now somebody new is making them again. Not sure if the same thing applies to the 875 mg's, but this time I've had to stop taking it. My heart has been beating hard and out of my chest, my blood pressure has been elevated, I'm stomach bloated, and kidneys hurting sharply. What are they putting in this stuff? I've discontinued the meds on day 7 of 10 and my symptoms are almost all gone. Thank goodness because the doctor signed me up for a heart monitor and ultrasound of my kidneys next week. I'm going to ask for brand name next time."

CAM WA June 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is by far the worst antibiotic I've ever taken. Hours after my first dose I had severe stomach pain and was up all night running back and forth to the bathroom. My fitbit has also been telling me that my heart beat is faster than normal, I've been in fat burn mode while laying in bed.. I've definitely noticed insomnia as I've been up until 3-4am all week. I'm always tired as well. I'm only halfway through the pills, and there is no way I'll ever take them again as today I woke up with more severe stomach pain. My sinuses do feel better though."

Fstnjuugfswtyi June 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"These pills really knocked me hard!!! Had a tooth pulled and doctor put me on for 7 days...Never slept so much in my life. Had absolutely no energy to do ANYTHING!! Fair warning everyone!!"

Sammy g May 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I've had sinus problems for so many years - blocked sinus, headaches, temple pressures, allergic episodes. I couldn't breathe also had sore throat. So I decided to take action for once and got prescribed for a 7 day trial of augmentin, plus 24 hour claritin and nasal spray 2 times of each nostril every 3 hours as needed. The first days where hell because of my bodies reaction to this antibiotic. Since I believe it was due to me never using any antibiotics ever.I got chills, high fevers of 102-104. weakness. bed ridden fatigue. headache. it was horrible (although this could have been symptoms of infection) I started to take Tylenol to control the fever, it was god send (Acetaminophen 500mg). I took 2 tablets every 6 hours which did the trick. But the fevers ended day 4. after everything got better after."

Luis justice 13 May 15, 2017