User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Also known as: Amoclan, Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Amoxicillin/clavulanate.

Amoxicillin/clavulanate Rating Summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate to treat Sinusitis

"I was prescribed this med for a sinus infection. It was the worst medication I have ever been prescribed. Strong stomach pains, unable to sleep, really awful headaches, total loss of appetite, diarhea..but the worst side effect is that it made all food taste horrible...even water!!! I didn't attribute this to the med until I read some of the other reviews. I immediately went and dumped the prescription down the toilet. I had been taking these pills for 8 days now and have not been able to eat in 8 days....they are gone!!! I think that now I will be starting to feel a lot better!!!"

Ms L February 20, 2018

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Day 5 and my sinus congestion is as bad if not worse. Had a fever on day 2, chronic headache despite drinking a gallon of water a day. Ruptured my eardrum Day 2 blowing my nose after using the neti pot my doctor insisted I try (never again!). So now I’m not supposed to blow my nose. Every other antibiotic I’ve been on started clearing up my symptoms within 2 days. As a teacher it’s next to impossible to be effective while sick like this. I have sinus and ear pain and tooth pain to contend with on top of lethargy and chronic headache. So for me Augmentin has been ineffective. Never again."

Kvaughn0719 February 10, 2018

"I had a mild orbital fracture close to my sinuses so I was given this medicine to take for seven days. While on this medication I felt extremely ill, slight stomach pain, diarrhea maybe once, night sweats, extreme fatigue, sore throat, stiff neck, and itchy skin. After taking all of the medication it took days for my body to recover and for me to feel normal again."

Sick and Tired for 7 days January 22, 2018

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "6 weeks after stopping this. I still have nausea and exhaustion"

Photowonder (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2018

"After 4 days of using this drug I feel 90% better. I am combining this with morning Neti pot for relief, and tea and bed rest! And Vick’s vapor rub at night on my sinuses and chest, it is still really nice! Really, this sinus infection has been with with me for awhile and I was too stubborn to go to the doctor! Please don’t do that stubborn thing! I had clogged ears for months and difficulty hearing. I even had a severe sinus attack on an airplane flying overseas. In hindsight it’s ridiculous not to get meds when needed! This is helping me tremendously. I do not have any side effects. I am taking 1 tablet every 12 hours of 875-125 mg . Yes, highly recommend."

SEGJ January 7, 2018

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I took Augmentin for Sinusitis and have been taking since 8 days that makes it 16 tablets and I still haven't noticed any side effect due to it. No diarrhea, no headache and no any other side effects that are usually described. In 8 days, my pain is reduced to 70% as I now need only 1 pain killer tablet through out a day (before this, I was taking thrice a day). I'm also taking steam and using Saline Nasal drops."

jaribhai (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2018

"Last Saturday (Jan 30, 2017), I started taking this medicine. First dose was at 12p.m. and then at 8p.m. By Sunday morning, I was feeling nauseous. I took my three doses that day, because the sick feeling was just on-off so I attributed the sickness to one of the meals. By 10p.m. Sunday, I was so nauseous I went to sleep. It was the worst night ever. I threw up so much and so many times, it felt like even my soul almost went down the toilet. Next day (Monday 1/1/18), I was convinced it was the medicine so I didn't take it. I was nauseous all day, sipping on water hoping it wouldn't come up. By Tuesday morning I felt better and was able to start eating again. I will never in my life take this medicine again."

IsabellaVT (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2018

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Was put on this for an ear and sinus infection. By my second day I was having bad stomach cramps, excessive bowel movements, some diarrhea, nausea, body aches, joint pain, fatigue, brain fog, nerve tingling in legs and feet, Constant headache, also I began spotting on my second day and it was one week before my period was due, this never happens, I spotted until my period started. I have three more days left and I feel worse than I did before I started it. My ear isn’t completely better yet either, my sinuses have cleared up some but not all the way. I called my dr and he said he is hesitant to change my script as my infection was/is so bad, asked that I just push through side effects. Never again!"

Yoda’s Angel (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2017

"I was given Augmentin for a sinus infection that I had been dealing with for over a week. I was prescribed 2 pills a day for 10 days. Taking 1 pill was enough for me to know that I never want to put Augmentin into my body again. I took it right after eating a full meal, but that didn't help. About 45 minutes after taking my first pill I was curled up in the fetal position with horrible stomach pain and chills. I also experienced extreme panic and anxiety. My heart was racing and I was having crazy thoughts. There's no way I could get through 10 days of that, it wasn't worth the way it made me that night. Everyone is different, but I'd strongly suggest asking for an alternative if your doctor tries to prescribe it to you."

Aren5629 November 25, 2017

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Knocked out a sinus infection in 4 days. No stomach discomfort(took Rephresh probiotic and Florastor). Got a pretty bad yeast infection but diflucan knocked that out."

Dreamgal31 (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2017

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "So today I started Augmentin & I’m 18... so after I took it, I felt light headed & very nauseous. Like so nauseous I was burping a lot. I haven’t made a Bowel movement since I’ve taken it so I don’t know for I have diarrhea.? And my stomach just HURTS. Should I stop taking it?"

LeahBae November 13, 2017

"I received the medicine as a result of sinusitis diagnosis.Thank goodness.Once I observed that the dosage was 875mg every 12 hours it made sense that diarrhea was probably going to be eminent.I knew it was going to clean out all of the healthy bacteria in my intestinal tract.Sure enough after the first dose I got the diarrhea side effect. I immediately got a probitotic from my vitamin store to replace the healthy bacteria in my intestinal tract.It worked immediately and counter acted the side effect. I don't know why doctors don't tell you that you are going to need a probitotic with 875mg.I definitely made sure I ate with this medicine.I have been so happy after day 3 because my energy level came back and I can tell the mucus issue is less"

Tuff Tony (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2017

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I was prescribed Augmentin 875 mg every 12 hours 2 days ago . Today ( after 4 tabs) I began to have diarrhea and stomach aches . I was prescribed this drug because my indoor cat got loose outdoors and scared and scratched my hand and bit me. I am a senior lady who has had a blocked intestine before and after surgery got C Dif and am afraid to continue this drug as I may have a re occurrence. I'm stopping the dosage tonight and will see the MD tomorrow.I want off this drug! Oh, the reason I had C Dif was because I got Salmonella in the hospital and was given so much IV antibiotics."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2017

"This Rx is good, took my sinus migraine away for the first time in months. But the stomach and dizziness side effects suck. But it could be worse. I'm not sure whether or not to finish the bottle"

Milo Yaqui Warrior (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2017

"This is a strong and multi purpose antibiotic. Yes you will get stomach pain, yes you will get loose stools and yes you get some other form of discomfort. But if you want to rid your upper respiratory infection quick and for good then this is the drug. No pain no gain. This drug almost guarantees that the original infection will not return. When it comes to sinuses you need to destroy all off the bad bacteria for good. Just reducing the bacteria with a mild antibiotic that agrees with you is certain to allow the same bacteria to grow and make you sick again a month or two in the future. Tough it up butter cup and destroy that bad bacteria for good."

Colddesertsnow October 17, 2017

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Prescribed 2000mg spread over two tablets a day for sinusitis. Lasted 2 days on the medication and had to stop. Severe nausea and wretched, general ill feeling, incredibly upset stomachs with excessive bowel movements, to the point mucus was being passed. Thrush and exposure to further infection resulted. Doctor took me off them with immediate effect and being put on something else tomorrow."

Mcgmjp October 13, 2017

"I took a single tablet. Within 1 hour I experienced the worst vomiting I had had in decades. Sadly, this had been a very effective drug for me in the past. I'll never take it again."

Hard "Harr" Harr (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2017

"I was prescribe this medicine for sinus infection. I thought I had taken it before, but maybe not. I started it on a Wednesday evening with the first dose to be taken every 12 hours. I believe it was the next day I started feeling nauseated after taking it. Saturday I was headed out, so grabbed my pills so I could take them after eating something. I got so nauseated I thought I would not make it back home, just a really bad ill feeling. By Friday evening I had diarrhea that has last into Sunday. I think I'm done taking this and will call the doctor tomorrow for something else because I also have a cough and the two don't mix very well."

MYH October 1, 2017

"I lasted 6 days on this. 2 pills every 12 hours. I had severe stomach cramps but it wasn't diarrhea. Eating helped a little bit with the vomiting feeling. I drank a lot of water as I felt dehydrated. I experienced insomnia everyday up until 6 am. Sleeping only 5 hrs a day maybe even 4 with an hour nap. My skin became very itchy and broke out in hives on my elbows and upper arms. My lower back and ankles also broke out in hives. The headache is just so bad...within the first dosage I had the headache immediately. I feel better from my ear infections, throat, nose and eyes...but the hives are still there..follow up with Dr asap."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Had such a bad sinus infection that my right eye and face was swelling. Got 875 Augmentin twice daily. On day 2 and swelling stopped and I can see out of eye. Sore throats and nose running because my sinuses are now draining! No GI or side effects. Love it so far."

Vicksterama386969 August 31, 2017

"Clav rarely works for my sinusitis even though docs love prescribing this one. I used this for my ludwig's angina swelling on the chin. Now my sinusitis is coming back! I noticed Biaxin works best. Try that one guys!!!"

Sinusitis King (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2017

"I was prescribed amox-clav 875mg 2x a day for two weeks for infected adenoids in my sinuses. I had not been taking it with a full glass of water but had been taking it with an early afternoon and late evening meal. Doctor also prescribed Prilosec to be taking with it once a day. From start I noticed a little bit of nausea with extreme fatigue on days 2 & 3. On day four I woke up feel great assuming I slept better because the medicine must have been working. However two hours after lunch I had severe nausea and stomach cramps and burning along with severe diarrhea. Took 6 tums and the Prilosec earlier than normal and ate a lot plain crackers. Burning lessened just a bit. This medicine has awful side effects. Need to call doctor."

Is it worth it? (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2017

"In Jan and now was prescribed this rubbish, twice no results and end up getting real amoxicillin. Both times I got this one I felt like my symptoms worsened two fold after 4 days on this. My diagnosis, Pansinusitus . I've never heard of this before, apparently it's the mother load of sinusitis involving infection in all 4 sinus. I had no fever, no nasal congestion, just severe fog and major headache and really large swollen glands under my Jaw, ears and neck all around. I'm so delirious I thought Sherlock was a made up word and laughed hysterically when someone mentioned it. Needless to say, this antibiotics doesn't do anything!"

Ifeellikedeath (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2017

"I have my 5th sinus infection of the year (2017,) which caused my ear drum to rupture. My doc prescribed me a 500 mg dose, twice a day. Antibiotics in general upset my stomach and should be taken with food, so I made sure to take with a large meal. The one time I didn't was in a rush to get on the road for a trip, and I was nauseous the entire ride, but tums helped A LOT. The infection has cleared up quickly and my ear is draining a lot less fluid out. This has been able to do what four other antibiotics haven't. Take with a full meal, and you will be feeling much better soon!"

mysinuseshateme (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2017

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I will never take this drug again. I was prescribed a 10 day/twice a day dose for a sinus infection. I took one pill. Within 4 hrs of taking the pill I was experiencing fever like chills, tingling, nerve pain in my feet and restlessness. I had nightmares and a terrible night's sleep. The worst part is the headache I can't shake and the extreme fatigue. My head feels like it's in a vice. I've done nothing but sleep all day -- only moving to take Advil which barely touches the headache. I just assume suffer through the sinus infection rather than experience the past 24 hours on this drug."

Birdy53 July 2, 2017