User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Also known as: Amoclan, Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR

Learn more about Amoxicillin/clavulanate.

Amoxicillin/clavulanate Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 260 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate to treat Sinusitis

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "As a sufferer of many sinus and ear infections, I knew with this 90 degree heat in ACs with poor air quality that I was going to get sick. Got sick last Wednesday with sinus issues, got worse so went to primary. Dr said didn't think I had a sinus or ear infection so told me to continue on netty pots and Sudafed 24. She did give me a prescription if I wasn't feeling better by Monday (today). After a weekend still feeling miserable, got prescription. Usually I get amoxicillin, and when looked at the script, it had amoxicillin clav so I didn't think anything of it. I pick up the script. Take pill on way to work. Sick within an hour. Googled and found was given generic of Augmentin. Never again! Threw up for an hour straight - not worth it!"

KAB1234 July 18, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Took Augmentin for severe sinusitis, after 2 hours started vomiting it would not stop, rushed to medical centre, given an injection to stop the vomiting didn't work, vomiting continued until only bile and blood was coming out, then given Zofran wafers finally the vomiting subsided, but the stomach and chest pain continued all night. Worst experience :("

Bankstown July 12, 2016

"Prescribed after repeated ear infections and the last cold that turned into a sinus infection. Felt better by the second day and sinuses opened up. I did have a bout of diarrhea on day 2 but had had soft bowels prior to starting this medication, so I cannot be certain that it was from that. I took Pepto Bismol tablets throughout that morning and did not have it again. I did feel tired, had a slight stomach ache as if carrying around a brick the first few day, feverish/chills but not really as well as somewhat sedated and "out of it" but not unable to function. I was glad to come across this Web site on day 2 of my treatment. I alleviated the side effects by taking with Greek yogurt, a probiotic pill, a full glass of water, and a starch."

Mrs Wiggins (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2016

"I was perscribed amoxicillin clavulanate for a sinus infection with no symptoms only extreme pain in my face, pressure in my head, and in the back of my neck every single day for about 10 days, xray showed i had build up in my face, so doctor perscribed amox clav 500mg twice a day for 10 days. after day 6 i started developing tingling and numbness throught my entire body, my skin senses are gone , i cant feel when i scratch my skin or pinch it, my feet are tingling every day and hands feel extremely numb and cold, i dont reccomend this medication to any one ot ruined my nerves in my body and senses , please ask for another medication , this ruin my feeling forever !!"

Antibioticsgirl June 28, 2016

"It's working but I am quitting. I was told by the doctor that the clavulanate could trigger gastrointestinal side effects. Should have been my first clue. I have IBS and I'm emetophobic. I took my 5th pill (of 14) and within 15-20 minutes I was in agony. I had diarrhea the morning before, but wrote it off on the IBS. It should have been a warning. Crippling stomach pain, gas, massive headache, and more diarrhea. Had an anxiety attack and had to take a Xanax. Calling my doc in the morning to get off of it. And yes, I was taking the pills with food, probiotics, etc. They didn't help me."

Anonymous June 17, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I am at the end of day 3 of the medication and I can't do it anymore. The side effects are making life miserable, just in a different way than I started with. I went in because of the headache and congestion that would not respond to anything over the counter plus vertigo. The vertigo went away after the first day of meds but the headache is significantly worse. Additionally, my stomach hurts really bad and constantly feels like I have overeaten a mass amount all the time, whether I have eaten or not. I have also has some mild diarrhea. So not worth it for me!"

CaliPoppy June 16, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Augmentin knocks out sinus infections faster and better than any other medication I've tried. Eat some greek yogurt while taking it and you won't have any stomach issues."

Blancabell (taken for 10 years or more) June 4, 2016

"Bad bad diarrhea i wouldn't give this medication to my anyone. It cleared up my sinusitis but gave me strait diarrhea for 6 days strait that's the only side affect i had it was terrible."

Anonymous June 4, 2016

"I took this for a sinus infection and not only did it not work but after I stopped taking it my face was so swollen it looked like I had gotten onto a fight. My face is hot and feverish next time I'm staying away from doctors!"

Chehaliswa June 2, 2016

"Going on day 3 of taking this medication; twice a day.I have seasonal sinusitis accompanied by severe pharyngitis (not strep), headaches, ear aches, and fever. Oh and by the way, I've either been breastfeeding and/or pregnant for the last 3 years! So far, the throat/ear pain (which were the worst of my ailments) went away within 24 hrs, my congestion cut by half, and headaches/fever, gone instantly. No side effects to speak of. Maybe a slight change in stool consistency but that's to be expected with antibiotics. As for my breastmilk, the trace amounts my baby is getting thru breastfeeding actually helped HER congestion! Killin two birds with one stone.. "

Sinusitis & breastfeeding (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2016

"I am a 52 healthy 4 days a week workout no health problems at all in my life. Have this medicine for 4 days and sent me to the hospital for 4 days. Chills High Fever, body ache and an infection I previously did not have before: c Diff and a bloody eye. If this medicine do this to a healthy woman I cannot image what would do to somebody not that healthy"

Previouslyhealthy (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "DO NOT TAKE AUGMENTIN! I am healthy (run marathons-no pre-existing cond.) & never take meds. I was prescribed this for headache (after vehicle accident) and a little sinusitis at Onpoint. I was so sick & after 5 days (my heart starting hurting, lost all healthy bacteria (worst diarrhea & stripped stomach lining) had fiery red rash after 10 days all over my body! It took 2 wks for the rash to go away after I got off Augmentin. My body systems have never been same!! destroyed them.THIS IS TOXIC tell your doctors too). If you MUST take antibiotic use something safer. Also, my husband (really healthy) didn't quite believe me. He was prescribed it he was flat on his back/couch vomiting & couldn't MOVE after 2 days! he stopped immediately"

Anonymous May 19, 2016

"after getting a sinus infection I was prescribed this medication ate before I took it and within an hour and a half had a severe headache complete nausea with stomach cramping I was in a horrible mood fell asleep for an hour with a pillow pulled into my stomach woke up feeling better I regret having to use again strong medication major side effects here it works great so I'll try and get through this pray for me"

skysbluenblack (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2016

"It seems to help but I had a side effect that was unexpected and before I say this I am being totally for real about it. I had normal side effect of nausea but then a strange one. I became aroused and turned on very easily. This is not a normal thing for me either. Not that I am complaining just think its weird. Anyone else have this happen???"

AllieBug33 (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2016

"I've taken this medication twice for a sinus infection. Both times I've used it I got very nauseous and on the verge of throwing up. It's so bad I can't do much but lay down and sleep. I'm never using this medication again."

Carly Roman April 12, 2016

"I get so sick from taking this, I can't even work. Nausea, stomach pain, dizziness, headache, tired ...I'm going back to the doctor to switch medication just after taking them for 3 days, I can't do it no more"

Norqueen April 10, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Completely and totally killed the sinus infection. Ive lost some sense of smell."

AEJ2 (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I am currently staying in the hospital overnight with an infected colon ( thought it was appendicitis it was so close), crazy watery diarrhea, vomiting, severe stomach cramps, and therefore dehydration. I have never had digestive problems like this and I've never been in a hospital overnight. This is seriously because of augmentin. Do not take this drug!"

Ughhhhh (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2016

"Tonight is my first night taking this antibiotic. I have a inner ear infection. Let me tell you, Its 2:15AM and I'm up because the stomach ache I'm having right now. I also took right with a meal!! I'm calling first thing in the morning to hopefully change to something else. I can't go through 10 days of this!!"

Matt b March 31, 2016

"Hi, I used to get a terrible reaction when I took Augmentin for sinus infections. I projectile vomited within 5 min. of ingestion. Then, I had a really severe sinus infection that I battled for 4 months. I was prescribed everything under the sun except Augmentin for obvious reasons. Finally, I went to a specialist who told me that I needed to take the Augmentin and to take it with probiotic yogurt - live cultures, etc. I've never had a problem since taking Augmentin with Activia yogurt. I've had no side effects at all."

Abby1717 March 28, 2016

"Bad sinus infection, medicine is working well for the whole family. No side effects."

Mystearica (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

"I was just prescribed amoxicillin clav 875mg- 2 pills a day. I'm going on my 3rd day of meds. The first day I had a horrible headache but I'm prone to them and the weather was rainy too. Soo I figure that could have been something else. The worst thing I have experienced is the nausea. It happens a few hours after I have taken a dose. I've been taking the meds with a half bottle of water. I sip some milk and eat cereal along with it each time. Usually a few hrs after dose and or when I eat I will have to go to the bathroom. Somewhat loose stool. May be the nausea but I also feel sick/feverish a few hours after the pill but I do not have a fever. Comes and goes."

Tjam March 12, 2016

"I've been using for nine days I get a bad headache after each use"

Ben j March 3, 2016

"Had a persistent sinus infection, took 2 875 MG tablets for 3 days. My 3rd night I was so sick, stomach cramps, vomiting, for 15 hours, I stopped taking it."

Emb72 March 3, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Went to urgent care with a tooth ache. Told I had a severe sinus infection. Mind you I've had swelling on the left side of my face for 5 years, been thru every test out there, for answers with no success. Ever since the swelling started I've suffered ear infections (left side only) and sinus infections to no end. Dentist would tell me my X-rays don't look normal, but offered no explanation. Okay so, urgent care prescribed penicillin 500mg, but I explain to the dr that I may have a tolerance to that with all the antibiotics I've been on so she prescribes, Augmentin 875 2x a day for 10days. Over a few days I'm dizzy, nauseous, pressure headaches like my brain is being squeeszed. The worst medicine EVER!!!"

Mollie (perforated sinus girl) February 28, 2016