User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Also known as: Amoclan, Augmentin, Augmentin ES-600, Augmentin XR

Learn more about Amoxicillin/clavulanate.

Amoxicillin/clavulanate Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 242 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Amoxicillin/clavulanate to treat Sinusitis

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Every time I have had a sinus infection and been prescribed Augmentin 875 I feel so much better within a day or two"

Miss Sherry (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take amox-clav twice a day for an ear infection and sinusitis. I am on day 3 and so far, I have stopped coughing up green chunky mucous, yay! The mucous alone caused me to not desire food therefore I have lost weight (before starting amox-clav). I know to take probiotics with penicillin so I do not foresee a yeast infection as some have reported. I have experienced stomach grumbling and groans but no diarrhea yet (plus, I haven't eaten in days so I don't have anything in my stomach to get out). Amox-Clav is doing it's job. I'm not going to be a drama queen/crybaby about the side effects because this IS penicillin..not baby aspirin we're taking..just saying."

WindyCat (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"DON'T TAKE THE GENERIC! I have taken this antibiotic for all my sinus infections and never had any problems, but something is different. The manufacturer stopped making the 1000 mg's and now somebody new is making them again. Not sure if the same thing applies to the 875 mg's, but this time I've had to stop taking it. My heart has been beating hard and out of my chest, my blood pressure has been elevated, I'm stomach bloated, and kidneys hurting sharply. What are they putting in this stuff? I've discontinued the meds on day 7 of 10 and my symptoms are almost all gone. Thank goodness because the doctor signed me up for a heart monitor and ultrasound of my kidneys next week. I'm going to ask for brand name next time."

CAM WA June 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is by far the worst antibiotic I've ever taken. Hours after my first dose I had severe stomach pain and was up all night running back and forth to the bathroom. My fitbit has also been telling me that my heart beat is faster than normal, I've been in fat burn mode while laying in bed.. I've definitely noticed insomnia as I've been up until 3-4am all week. I'm always tired as well. I'm only halfway through the pills, and there is no way I'll ever take them again as today I woke up with more severe stomach pain. My sinuses do feel better though."

Fstnjuugfswtyi June 2, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"These pills really knocked me hard!!! Had a tooth pulled and doctor put me on for 7 days...Never slept so much in my life. Had absolutely no energy to do ANYTHING!! Fair warning everyone!!"

Sammy g May 29, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I've had sinus problems for so many years - blocked sinus, headaches, temple pressures, allergic episodes. I couldn't breathe also had sore throat. So I decided to take action for once and got prescribed for a 7 day trial of augmentin, plus 24 hour claritin and nasal spray 2 times of each nostril every 3 hours as needed. The first days where hell because of my bodies reaction to this antibiotic. Since I believe it was due to me never using any antibiotics ever.I got chills, high fevers of 102-104. weakness. bed ridden fatigue. headache. it was horrible (although this could have been symptoms of infection) I started to take Tylenol to control the fever, it was god send (Acetaminophen 500mg). I took 2 tablets every 6 hours which did the trick. But the fevers ended day 4. after everything got better after."

Luis justice 13 May 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Painful heartburn started after 6th day"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "AVOID, AVOID. I was prescribed this for what was diagnosed as a bacterial upper respiratory infection. Have never had issues with antibiotics before. Yes, it improved my symptoms from the infection....but every day, I had a POUNDING heartbeat in the mornings...and it was causing profound fatigue and weakness every day. Didn't figure it out until after I took it the morning of day 5 and did some research. I STOPPED THAT TOXIC MEDICINE then and there. It's now 48 hours after I stopped it and I still have easy fatigue and palpitations. AVOID!!!!"

JAB in Colorado May 7, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I had a sinus infection and was put on augmentin for a week. I suffered from horrific headaches. I wanted someone to just knock me out because I couldn't handle the horrible headaches all day and night. My taste was affected as well. Even water didn't taste good. My stomach also affected me and I did take a probiotic. I wouldn't take this medication ever again."

JIS April 29, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this antibiotic for Sinusitis. It caused the worst yeast infection and bowel problem I have ever had. A day or two after I took my last dose, I began to have severe diarrhea with blood and/or mucus in it. I also began to have severe stomach cramps/heartburn as well. I went to the doctor thinking it was something more serious and she did a stool test as well as a blood test. Everything is fine, she said that this antibiotic has a reputation for doing this to people. I am on day 8 of this. She says it could last a while and I just have to stay hydrated and wait it out. I hope it goes away soon. I can't even eat without having to go!!! I've lost about 10 pounds in a week!!! I am so sick of this! Stay away from it!!"

Kerstinn April 29, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this for 10 days for an ear infection, my first 2 days I just felt nauseous but I ate a heavy meal and noticed that did help BUT for the past 3 days I've been having severe headaches and I still have 5 days to go. I think I'm going to stop the medicine it's not worth the pain! My ear does feel better though!"

Freespiriting (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I couldn't even keep it down. I experienced nausea and vomiting so my doctor changed medications. There is no way I could ever use Amox Clav. I was on it only one day and it was one of the worse days of my life."

Kate13100 April 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Prescribed an 8-day prescription of Augmentin and I would not recommend this poison to anyone else, EVER. I wake up every day with a headache like my head is in a vice and stomach cramps that rival the pain of the sinus infection I went in for in the first place. And yes, I eat yogurt and take extra probiotics. My heart beats like a horses hooves on a racetrack and keeps me up far past any respectable time to go to sleep. I don't feel like myself at all, I'm telling you so you can run far away from this treacherous toxic substance."

Stonecoldsteveaustin April 21, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Medication very effective for sinus infection, some doctors recommend Omeprazole for the GI effects, it reduce highly stomach pain."

Hillman1 April 18, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Ear infection, sinusitis -10 days of this horrible pain in my stomach, sweaty palms, feet, chest pain. Urgent care had me drink...lidocaine with maalox to kill the stomach pain. I thought I had a virus again....Dr said if it don't stop hurting in a few days I needed to go to a upper GI specialist. This pain and other side effects are not worth it"

Nobueno April 10, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "Right after the first dose, I experienced the worst stomach cramps, gas, bloating...all the way into my chest. It seemed to help my sinus infection, but nothing is worth that type of pain. I couldn't keep food down, I don't have issues with acid reflux, until I started taking augmentin. I tried one more dose, before I quit and I went to my regular doctor, and he agreed that this stuff is harsh on your stomach, and changed to different antibiotic. I tried drinking a lot of water, yogurt, and I increased my intake of probiotics, but so far nothing is helping. I am hoping this horrid feeling will go away eventually."

Mimi59 (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): "I stopped taking mine this morning, with five doses remaining.The day I began the augmentin, I experienced shortness of breath. I chalked that up to being sick. The next day of taking them, I noticed the insomnia. It was 3:30 a.m. and I thought it was 9 p.m. I was wide awake. Morning before last, I woke to find something that felt like pork fat sitting in my jaw. I pulled it out. The entire inside of my inner left cheek had peeled off and bled like mad. It is healing but eating is miserable. The final straw was, at the time my cheek peeled, I started having a left side facial tic and extreme tenderness beneath my jaw bone on that side. I WON'T be taking this again."

Jegra4355 March 17, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on amox clav 875/125 for 8 weeks as my ENT ordered. Here I am two month later with the same sinusitis still."

Germangirl88 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking this on Feb 28 2017, after a day I started hving mild diarrhea and then came stomach pains. Oh it hurts so much! Feels like your stomach acids are eating away at your guts! So this morning I decided not to take anymore remaining antibiotics until I talk to my doctor about a different antibiotic. Not only did I have these few problems I also felt fatigued all day for the last 2 days while on this. Everyone is different so for me this does not work. I still feel congested even after a few days of taking this!"

Guam chic March 4, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"When I take amoxicillin I get a strange kind of a symptom. When I wake up in the morning I feel as if I am wearing socks, when I am not! On the second morning I feel I am wearing long socks upto my knees.!! No swelling but feels like water retention!! Or may be something else!!"

NeetaR February 28, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had a bad ear infection and sinus problem for 6 months. Sneezing attacks. Went to my Dr and he prescribed me this medicine, I've been on it 3 days and already I feel relief, no sneezing, I can actually breath through my nose again, ear seems to be less drainage. Only downfall is I am nauseous. So I eat something and take zofran/ generic. It helps for a few hours but I have to take it and eat continually so I don't vomit. I weigh the odds " stay sick" or " tough it out" at least a week to ten days and get well."

Tigcaree55 February 27, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"February 16th 2017, had nasal polyp's removed, Amox- Clav 875-125 MG was prescribed by my Dr. after surgery. I'm personally allergic to a lot. I know some medicines have ingredients I'm allergic to, this may be the reason I responded so poorly to this medicine, after taking this antibiotic, I had an severe allergic reaction. Red splotches started from my face, neck, back, arms, and continued on my thighs, legs and feet. My legs and feet became swollen. The red splotches began to merge together to become a big red spread instead of splotches. I considered going to the ER, however, I had benadryl and decided to take the benadryl first, after an hour, the symptoms started to subside. Four hours later I took another benadryl. Had to discontinue"

Lil Debbie (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"RUN FROM THIS MED!! I was fine on it at first but now it has caused headaches, severe diarrhea, tiredness and vomiting. If I would have known its side effects before in was prescribed it i would have never started taking it. I had to leave work nearly because I was so ill from it. Do not take this med. Its horrible"

Ggredh She e (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Don't take this pills its different for everyone but if you start having chest pain after just taking 3 pills stop taking immediately"

Just a woman February 1, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started this 4 days ago and feels like its getting worse instead of better :( extremely stuffed up and headache! Will not be taking another dose "

Tired sick mama January 23, 2017