User Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate to treat Sinusitis

Also known as: Augmentin, Augmentin XR, Amoclan

Amoxicillin / clavulanate has an average rating of 4.9 out of 10 from a total of 239 ratings for the treatment of Sinusitis. 34% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 46% reported a negative effect.

Amoxicillin/clavulanate Rating Summary

4.9/10 average rating

Compare all 173 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Amoxicillin / clavulanate

Rlund · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2021

“I’m on day 3 of 5 Amox Clav 875 125 . I have a terrible sinus infection. Day one my stomach felt a little nauseous. Next day I had diarrhea it lasted the day I ate some bananas and drank a yogurt smoothie and it seemed to help . I think the stomach upset and diarrhea was just my body adjusting to the antibiotics. Today is day 3 and my stomach is calm but I do feel really tired and low energy. My sinuses are not so clogged I can breath a lot better so the medication seems to be working . I would recommend for sinus infection because I know how stuffy and miserable I felt and I would definitely deal with the side effects to be better . I’m going to continue to take my 5 day course.”

Tri tri · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2021

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “This is the 2nd time I have been Rx'd Augmentin. 2nd time I have been violently ill 2 hrs after taking it. Diarrhea, vomiting, stomach pains and headache. Much to my husband's delight, I also have laryngitis from puking so violently”

aspengirl35 March 27, 2021

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Was diagnosed with sinus infection. I have not used antibiotics in years. Put me on Augmentin. Took fourth dose this morning, so day three. I feel horrible! So tied, foggy, just want to sleep, my heart feels a little racey, bad gas, diarrhea yesterday, bad cramping. Taking with food and probiotics. I am trying to give it a chance but I can't seem to do anything but sit here. I almost felt better before starting it.”

Sonya · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I started taking augmentin and had a panic attack that very night. I had never had a problem with anxiety or panic attacks. I had my medication changed. Later on, I got another sinus infection, and was told that augmentin couldn’t have given me a panic attack so I decided to listen to them and give augmentin another try. Well guess what, another panic attack. Those were two of the most scariest experiences of my like. I couldn’t breath, I was trembling, chest pounding. Doctors need to listen to patients more and not think that they know everything about a medication just because research hasn’t shown it yet.”

HoosierAnna March 6, 2014

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Had a nasty sinus infection - my entire head seemed locked in a vacuum-grip of pressure, snot, and general awfulness. I felt dizzy, exhausted, irritated, and I think it even began to affect my thinking. I thought it was just a common cold but nope, the real deal. Augmentin 875, 2x/day for 10 days seems to have cleared it out, mostly. BUT HERE'S THE KEY, FOLKS --> Take a good probiotic every morning, about 3 or 4 hours before you take the first dose of Augmentin. Then, when it's time to take your Augmentin, take it with a LOT of food, and take it after the first or second bite of your meal. You'll get through it, and may it heal you as it seems to have healed me. No side effects for me, and I'm one sensitive, hypochondriacal mess normally!”

katt0103 July 25, 2014

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “This medication worked to clear up my sinus infection but gave me BLINDING, and I mean BLINDING headaches to the point where I couldn't even move my head without wincing in pain. That was the only side effect I experienced though. My guess is it's a pretty strong antibiotic and can affect everyone differently.”

divinetrust January 30, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Everyone's system is different. What you have to do is take probiotics, I drink kefir, 4 hours after you take the augmentin. This and plenty of water, will help most people. Always always always eat plenty of food with augmentin, and always take probiotics in intervals, to replace the good bacteria. Do not take them at the same time, else you will just kill the probiotic good bacteria”

tnarmyman February 2, 2014

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I took this medicine for a sinus infection. Worked great for that but the side effects for me were unbearable. On day 7 of the medicine I had the worst stomach cramps that I have ever had and diarrhea. Sleepiness was a constant, slept all day and night. Had no desire to eat at all. Had chills, cough, fever, severe headaches, irritability, heartburn and greatly decreased frequency of urination. ”

Pfrogmore · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 30, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I tend to get sinus and ear infections...and upper respiratory infections. Augmentin is the only thing that really clears it all up. It typically takes 2 to 3 doses before I start feeling like I am heading in the right direction. So within 24 to 48 hours I tend to be feeling better. Not like death - which if you haven't experienced a truly painful ear infection as an adult...well...you're lucky. It is awful. Augmentin does have some side effects, typically some stomach upset. Be sure take it with food and drink plenty of water. However, I will deal with it as it is a heck of a lot better than dealing with the pain of double ear infections, sinus, and upper respiratory issues. I have taken this antibiotic on and off for last 5 years.”

Works fast but as a female... · Taken for less than 1 month January 7, 2015

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I was prescribed Augmfnyin 875 twice a day for a severe sinus infection and just after two pills (one day) I could see light at the end of a dark stuffy congested tunnel...I began feeling much better almost immediately but a side effect that almost subways happens to me with antibiotics....I got a yeast infection! My doctor told me that this is common because an antibiotics job is to kill bacteria all whether good or bad....these include bacterial that naturally occur and are normal in the vaginal tract so my doctor usually prescribes something for a yeast infection. Other than that taken with food I did not have any side effects and feel much better..it's amazing how quickly it works. After being miserable for days, I'm very happy!”

Cody · Taken for less than 1 month January 3, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “The medicine works but watch out for the GI side effects. Go to your supermarket in the dairy section and buy the probiotic yogurt drink Yakut. It comes in a pack of 5 1oz bottles. Drink one bottle each AM and continue for 3 days after stopping Augmentin. You will be free of diarrhea, nausea, and GI side effects. It works!!”

Davidvond · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2020

“Idk why so many people hate this drug. It has cured me so many times. I never had that diarrhea at all, maybe it is smoother lol, but all good. I know everyone is different, but with me 2 thumbs up works every time !!!”

Anonymous May 6, 2014

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I have had an upper back molar removed today due to a root abscess I didn't even know existed. My head felt like a pressure cooker, I got an ear infection and the mucus drainage was terrible. I went to the doctor who diagnosed a sinus infection, he told me to get my dentist to X-ray my teeth, which revealed a big abscess at the root. I Had been put on amoxicillin 500mg x3 daily but it wasn't doing a great deal after four days so my GP replaced it with Augmentin)500/125 X 3 daily and after another four days minus a molar the mucus and swelling have improved massively. I can breathe again, plus the head pressure has subsided. Works well at the moment with 3 days of the 7 day course remaining. Hope it works for you. GOOD HEALTH TO YOU ALL.”

Christine · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I was recently prescribed Augmentin 875 mg two times a day for 10 days for a very severe upper respiratory/sinus Infection. On day one, I had pain in my head, some sweating/chills, lethargy and stomach upset. Day two. I had bad diarrhea, anxiety, nervousness/agitation, sweating/chills and some Tiredness. Day three I had all of the above as well as developing one hive on my right arm after my evening dose. The medication helps my sinus infection, but the side effects are troubling. I do not feel good for at least two or three hours after taking this medication.”

sinus sufferer 55 · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2014

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I was prescribed 500 mg twice a day Augmentin for a sinus infection. After the second dose I developed BAD stomach cramps, nausea and loose stools. I continued the Augmentin for three more days but finally had to stop taking it due to the fact that it was completely destroying my stomach. It was working wonders on my sinus infection but the side effects were too much to bear. Worst of all, I'm still having cramps and loose stools even though I stopped taking the Augmentin two days ago. I hope the issues resolve themselves soon and won't require a trip to my gastroenerologist. Augmentin may be fine for some people but it's definitely NOT for me!”

Anonymous April 6, 2012

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I had a raging sinus infection that quickly spread to my upper chest and was just about to become full blown bronchitis maybe even pneumonia if I had waited any longer. I am sensitive to many antibiotics and had a very bad experience with Biaxin in the past. Anyway, Augmentin 825 twice a day and taken with food I barely had any side effects at all. I have been EXTREMELY impressed with Augmentin and by the second dose the first day I was already 50% better and everything started rapidly improving and all congestion breaking up and clearing. I'm on third day now and I am 90% better, a few days ago I was extremely sick and head was all filled up and ears stuffy too. Works FAST A .”

LexiLex February 22, 2013

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I had a severe sinus infection and went on Augmentin 875, it has helped. No more headache and facial pain. I was extremely dizzy, nausea, loss of appetite, severe mood/personality change, and hyperactivity. I went off the medicine on day 5, could'nt take the side effects.”

Bobby March 29, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Sinus infection that spread to my eye before I sought treatment. Felt better after 2 doses. It is a strong antibiotic. Unfortunately they also kill some good bacteria along with the bad. You know the saying..... don’t trust a fart.”

Feeling Way Better · Taken for less than 1 month July 4, 2015

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Suffered for almost a week before heading to the doctor. My sinus infection had gotten so bad it lead to an ear infection. After trying to self medicate for almost a week (HUGE FAIL) I finally gave in. My lovely doctor prescribed Augmentin. I started Augmentin Thursday and today I am almost feeling like myself again. No negative side affects for me whatsoever :) pretty satisfied ”

Underavgscholar · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2020

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Ok so I started with pneumonia and then it kinda came back as a sinus infection/ bronchitis (I have no idea). So they gave me this antibiotic for resistance issues. The first dose had my tummy rumbling, but I ate and took a probiotic! I had loose stools (and still have them) but I am slightly afraid of antibiotics just because they upset my stomach (previously the doxy for my lungs). But the probiotic helps SO MUCH! As long as you eat with it, and take a probiotic if you want to, then you should be fine. I really like the way it’s working! I’m almost clear even though I’m on it for a week and I’m only two days in. Be safe!”

JennsReviews January 12, 2017

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Horrible, horrible experience. I'm a healthy (no pre existing conditions, exercises regularly, maintains healthy diet) female in my mid 30s. Rarely take meds, especially antibiotics, so when I do they usually work well. I was a little nervous to take augmentin because the dose was so strong, but the doc was adamant because I had a very severe sinus infection. By the third dose my whole body was reacting. No relief from the sinus congestion, horrible headache, very anxious/nervous, nightmares, night sweats, zero appetite, insomnia, blurred vision, horrible horrible yeast infection (I have never had a yeast infection in my entire life). Called the doc hysterically crying and was told to stop taking it immediately. Stay far away!!”

sinusitis/small intestines · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 16, 2017

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I found this to be a safe and effective drug. I have chronic sinusitis. A 20 day course puts the sinusitis in remission. I also have small intestine bacterial overgrowth. While I was prescribed the medication for sinusitis, I found a spectacular improvement in my acute and chronic small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.”

babygirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 11, 2019

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I was prescribed this by my doctor for sinusitis. I’ve been on all types of antibiotics in my life and this stuff is HORRIBLE. Went on my lunch break and I was convinced I was dying. Anxiety, panic attacks, tarry stool (gastric bleeding?), chest & back pain, side pain, chest tightness, abdominal cramping (felt like something was tearing into my stomach), sweating, terrible diarrhea, pale, dizziness, huge headache, etc. Only took one dose, stopped dosage and call my ENT doctor for an appointment.”

ma2wycode · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2013

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “Have acute sinusitis, with severe migraine, dizziness, facial pain, TMJ, eye swelling. Was prescribed Augmentin, seems to be working just after 1 days use! I already had severe stomach ache, doc said that's normal for acute sinusitis because all the dripping from the sinuses down our throats, which ends up stewing in our poor bellies! So I really notice no difference with tummyache yet.”

Sunny95124 February 11, 2013

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I felt like crap 36 hours ago (headache, toothache, congested nose) but feel SO much better after 4 doses. I should have gone to the doctor sooner. Mild impact on my digestion, but I'll take that any day in lieu of the debilitating headache and toothache I was experiencing.”

Patricea August 27, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I took Augmentin starting last week for a sinus infection. The first few days were fine, and I felt relief from the pressure of the infection. However, by day 5, my stomach hurt so badly, and around my body to the back. I could not eat. My stomach was rock hard and I felt so bloated. I could only suffer through day 8. I had to stop. I cannot tolerate this medication, and will never take it again.”

ballofanxiety · Taken for less than 1 month February 6, 2020

“DO NOT take this amoxicillin/clavulanate if you suffer from panic attacks or anxiety. I have been feeling like I’m losing my mind and constantly crying and having the worst thoughts. I didn’t know where it was coming from but it all makes sense now after reading other reviews. Don’t do it.”

Tollcoll2376 · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2016

Augmentin (amoxicillin / clavulanate): “I get sinus infections twice a year like clock work. I usually get a Z-pack and a couple days of prednisone and I'm usually better in a couple days. This time around, I was given 875 mg of augmentin for 10 days, along with 10 day step-down dosage of prednisone. I took the meds as prescribed for 4 days and had to stop. I've never had such debilitating stomach pains in my life. I'm talking stomach pains, not intestinal pains. I felt so nauseated, though I never vomited once. My head felt funny, like a headache was trying to develop, and I began to sweat. It has been 5 days since I stopped taking the medications, and I am still having issues with my stomach!! Never ever again! I need answers!!”

Learn more about Sinusitis