User Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Otitis Media

Also known as: Zithromax, Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak

Azithromycin has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 15 ratings for the treatment of Otitis Media. 53% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Azithromycin Rating Summary

6.5/10 average rating

Compare all 72 medications used in the treatment of Otitis Media.

Reviews for Azithromycin

Anonymous February 26, 2008

Zithromax (azithromycin): “Had strep throat and double ear infection including one ruptured ear drum. Was so sick, but after 24 hours on Z-Pak, major turn-around with 80% recovery within 48 hours. Much faster and more effective than Amoxicillin or similar.”

Melisa smith · Taken for less than 1 month November 15, 2016

“Horrible experince i was prescribed azithromycin for an "ear infection" when i took the first dose i was fine until 2hours later i started to experince fatigue headache rapid hear beat and by the second day im now experinceing ringing in both ears this is horrible does anybody experience that in ther ears? If so in how long did it go away? Im so scare to go deaf ”

SLP March 24, 2018

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): “I have an ear and throat infection on my left side. My Doctor prescribed zythromycin for 5 days. I have been suffering each day now and the zythromycin is NOT working. It is day 4 now and still feel like day 1. Doctor noted no improvement but still wants me to finish all doses.”

mitchiko · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2021

“Suffering from ear itching and puffiness with sharp pain, my doctor prescribed me with 3 days treatment of Zithromax 500mg per day, works heavenly as soon as the first dose being taken. I'm now on my last dose, feels great now ears not stuffy no more and can hear clearly now. Thanks for making this drug now I don't doubt on prescribed antibiotics specially this particular drug eases it on just 1 take.”

Johnnylakis · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2016

“I am allergic to penicillin so Zithromax is the alternative before getting into the heavy stuff like Cipro and Levaquin. I have been taking Zithromax for years and always get relief around day 3. The loose stools are normal, it means Zithromax is working and the bacteria is being flushed out of your system.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2015

Zithromax (azithromycin): “Woke up due to severe vertigo. Diagnosis of Otitis Media (at 43? Haven't had an ear infection since I was 13). Doctor prescribed a Z-Pak (Azithromycin 500mg Day 1, 250mg days 2-5). The vertigo decreased by Day 3, but never completely subsided. 2nd morning after finishing the Z-pak, the vertigo was back in full force, and my ear started to ache. Azithromycin didn't kill the infection.”

TheGander2015 · Taken for less than 1 month August 2, 2016

“Almost week with major ear infection, went to see Doctor on a promise to "Wife" (I'm a Man, I deal with it - last time I had an ear infection when I was a teen). Taking 1 Card x 6 Tablets,250mg Tab., Azithromycin. I was alittle leery of product because it was made in India (oversight by FDA?). Overall, only draw back first day had diarrhea, the meds did the job. Felt much better after finishing treatment.”

Cyndi07 February 11, 2015

“Yes, it got rid of my ear infection after the generic was prescribed at a CVS Minute Clinic. HOWEVER (BIG however), I ended up getting strep. My GP said that the generic does not have as long a 1/2 life as the brand name. So, the 5-day dose (which is supposed to stay in your system for up to 10 days) does not last long enough. As a result, you can either end up with the original infection coming back, or make yourself susceptible to a second infection. So now I had to go on Cipro for 10 days to get rid of the strep! This is the kind of thing that produces super bugs--thank you, insurance cos., corner-cutting pharma cos. and especially the FDA for approving substandard generics!”

Anonymous September 2, 2009

Zithromax (azithromycin): “After my son had the croup for three weeks and spent ten days on Augmentin and fighting with a two year old to administer it twice a day, he developed a severe sinus infection. The physician prescribed liquid Zithromax that had to be given once per day and only for five days and did not need to be refrigerated which was great since we were traveling and best of all it got rid of the croup and the sinus infection very fast - it's a winner.”

Hi · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2021

“This medicine is terrible. I am 36 weeks pregnant and was prescribed it for an ear infection. While it has helped with the stuffy feeling in my ear a bit, it has gave me some pretty bad side effects. I have done nothing but vomit since being on this med, my heart starts racing, I get terrible stomach cramps and have diarrhea. All of that within an hour or 2 after taking it. I’ve winded up in the hospital 3 times requiring fluids due to becoming dehydrated because of the vomiting.”

Skwillz · Taken for less than 1 month August 26, 2016

“Received this as an alternative to other anti biotics because of my ibs and how bad they normally wreck my stomach. First about 16 hours went along very smoothly as I took the 2 250 mg doses and immediately went down hill. I liked mom stop for over an hour. The very next morning I stayed home from work, took another pill at about 8:30 am, and did alright thru the day until about midnight when I woke up to stomach gurgling and severe nausea/headache”

Jordan R October 5, 2014

“Had inner ear infection. Felt like a ball pen hammer hitting my head on day 1. Broke fever before day 2 and felt awesome. Best medicine on earth.”

sugarsmom April 1, 2008

Zithromax (azithromycin): “this medicine absolutely did not help. have bronchitis and inner ear infection and the zpak did not help at all.”

Coyote ole Man January 24, 2012

“Had ear infections and this antibiotic worked quickly and efficently. I also found this antibiotic to be easy on the stomach.”

Anonymous October 31, 2008

Zithromax (azithromycin): “Worked fast”