User Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Bronchitis

Also known as: Zithromax, Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak

Azithromycin Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 95 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Azithromycin

Jay · Taken for less than 1 month April 5, 2020

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): “Dr said "I know that you said azithromycin doesn't work for you, but let's give it another try," She said, obviously disbelieving me. I have yet again finished a z pack. I (yet again) still have Bronchitis. Wasted time. At least I get no side effects from this. On to the next rx”

Nguyen · Taken for less than 1 month April 3, 2020

“I have taken this azithromycin for my cough and sore throat for 4 days now but I still cough so much , I feel like my chest swell up and hurt every time I cough. I stop taking my last pill and go back to see doctor today . side effects 1 night sweat follow diarrhea”

Lauzie · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2020

“had a terrible phlegmy cough for well over a week and finally went in and was prescribed a zpack. Very happy with the results. Feel much better and have minimal side effects, just a bit of diarrhea. Just a tip to anyone taking any antibiotics, take probiotics with your antibiotics, as they also kill the good bacteria in your stomach.”

Tee · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2020

“My doctor gave me this cuz I thought I had a bad cold so he put me on this z-pack which is this. This truly did not work for me and he gave me diarrhea and I'm still coughing it made me cough worse in I still have to call my doctor back to give me something else it made me cough more it's not worth it”

Mollie · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2020

Zithromax (azithromycin): “I would be very careful taking this antibiotic if you have heart issues. I have mitral valve prolapse and tachycardia and this antibiotic made it worse after one dose. I asked my doctor 3 times if it was okay to take if you have heart problems and she said yes. I’ve since read that it could cause an arrhythmia issue. Well great I already have that. Thinking about changing doctors now. Definitely will avoid this antibiotic in the future.”

Alex · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2020

“I’m on day 5 azithromycin and don’t feel much better. All this medication seems to have done is made me vomit, dehydrated and given me diarrhea”

JD · Taken for less than 1 month December 30, 2019

“Everyone in my family got sick on Halloween, and it is now 12-30-19. everyone had Bronchitis & wife had Pneumonia. My wife, 2 young kids and I all got Zpacs. All got better but me. I still have fluid in my lungs and cough all day long for months. I have been to doctor 2 times - they say " oh it will get better"? what? I have been coughing for 10 weeks and I feel like I am drowning with the stuff in my lungs ?!? All they gave me was the 5 day Zpac and it did nothing.”

Irishlassey · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2019

“I was sick 3 days with horrible burning chest cough and burning raw sore throat, fever and really bad nasal congestion. Went to Kaiser and physician said I had bronchitis or possibly the the flu. Suspected Bronchitis and gave me 5 day zpack along with some cough medication. Went on a Tuesday and began to feel much better by late Thursday. Worked freaking miracle for me.”

Tyler December 20, 2019

“Most of my colds turn into Bronchitis. Especially recent experience with a lower respiratory infection. In almost all occasions (2 different doctors)- I was prescribed Z-packs and they have worked well every time. I don’t know if because of my size or age (260lb- 28yrs), but side effects from Z-packs have always been very minimal for me. I’ve seen quite a few mediocre reviews here. Z-packs are only a 5 day pack and treat a broad range of infections. I wouldn’t think it would work GREAT for more severe infections like pneumonia, but no doubt would have some improvement. I guess side effects and effectiveness vary person to person, but it works very well for me every time.”

Mom of 3 · Taken for less than 1 month September 26, 2019

“I have had bronchitis for 3 weeks, I’m completely finished taking the 5 day Z-Pack (azithromycin). Although most of my other symptoms have subsided, I’m still very sick with a deep painful cough, dry itchy and raw throat. The side effects for me were awful. I had severe diarrhea, stomach cramps and sweating profusely. Now I’m probably going to have to go back in and see what I have to do. This antibiotic was definitely not helpful for me. Perhaps if it was taken with another medication or steroid, it would have helped.”

YH September 22, 2019

“It useful to have azithromycin along with steroids (Deltasolone) too (for those with asthma). I have found when prescribed only azithormycin on its own it wasn't sufficient. Seem to need the boost of steroids alongside the antibiotic for a few days to help kick the extended cough. The lungs are too inefficient to remove the mucus effectively. Many doctors seem to not know about this. After years of travel I discovered this from a doctor in Malaysia who also had asthma - so understood how colds and infections are so difficult for an asthmatic to recover from.”

Mandi · Taken for less than 1 month September 7, 2019

“I was sick for a week with what I thought was a bad chest could. I went to my hematologist for my iron infusion and labs. He took one look at me and said he couldn't give me my infusion. He did blood work and sent me home. He said if anything looked bad he would call me. I was halfway home when he called me and told me to go to the ER immediately because my Lymphytes were at a 1. So basically I don't have an immune system to fight back against this mess. I should add that I have Lupus and 2 more autoimmune diseases. I go to ER and they say I don't have pneumonia but I have a bad case of bronchitis. They gave me prednisone injections and sent me home with a z pack and prednisone and an inhaler. I'm on day 5 and I am still so sick. I'm still coughing up reddish green stuff and I'm still running a low grade fever. Idk how much more of this I can take. I feel like I'm high as I'm typing this.”

N50838239 · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2019

“Absolutely worst drug ever. The side effects are worse than the original illness it was treating. Three days into and I cannot stop coughing. Still coughing so far. Ears ringing dizziness. This is a rubbish drug. Do not take it”

Dee August 18, 2019

“Last pill of azithromycin today, along with Medro pack and benzonatate. I am still using my rescue inhaler, can't sleep for one hour without coughing at night, and now my phlegm is white and frothy.”

Smoky38 August 1, 2019

Zithromax (azithromycin): “Zithromax is one of the worst medications I have ever taken. This drug gave me acute liver damage with Liver function readings of 560 @ ferritin of 3000, also acute pain had to go to emergency, This is a dangerous drug , I took it for several weeks 3 times a week for prevention of chest infection at dosage 250mg”

Heatison · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2019

“I had a sinus and bronchitis infection got the 5 day azithromycin treatment pack. Also given 5 days of steroids. Feeling better after second full day of treatment so amazing how quickly it worked. I did sleep 12 hours the first day of treatment which helped. I had been coughing up nasty stuff for a week. Side effects aren't bad just follow Dr orders. Eat with the z pack pill . drinks lots of water 6 bottles a day and get tons of rest if you can. If you get a headache take what you normally take to get rid of it. All in all the z pack works for what it's meant for. I'm glad it works for me..just eat, drink lots water & rest if you can.”

Manda · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2019

“I was diagnosed with bronchitis yesterday after suffering a horrible painful cough and congestion for 2 days, the Doctors did X-ray's and said there's slight pneumonia but mainly bronchitis so have prescribed azithromycin. I have been in pain, my body aches, my chest feels so bruised from all of the coughing. For my azithromycin it is day one they said to take 2 pills, well so far I feel no better but have 4 days left to go. I hope I can pull through this as I start a new job Monday. I'm just so weak and in pain. Hopefully I will be better soon.”

Henry · Taken for less than 1 month March 13, 2019

“Zithromax was an excellent antibiotic. The generic, azythromycin, is useless. It has been given to me and my kids. The respiratory condition did not improve in all three cases. I ask my doctor for Augmentin or its generic. This one seems to still work well.”

VQ · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2019

“Started with cold/flu, no feve,r lots of cough. Could not sleep. I let it go too long before seeing Dr Feeling terrible. Xrays reveal acute bronchitis. Got a Zpac 250 mg. Two first day and rest for five days. On my fourth day and thankful for the inventor(s) of this medicine. I feel great again and have energy back. Returning to work tomorrow. No real inconvenient side effects. It started to work on day one. My only complaint is that I did not go see a DR earlier. Next time I will listen to the wife who was insisting I go DR. Waited too long. Waited a couple of weeks. This medicine really worked for me..cough almost gone!! Sleeping comfortably again!”

Samantha · Taken for less than 1 month January 8, 2019

Zithromax (azithromycin): “I took a total of two doses: two caplets day one and one caplet on day two. That night I had horrible night sweats that soaked through two sets of pyjamas. My heart was racing and I had a metallic taste in my mouth. Stopped taking it. My bronchitis has been going away without it and finally one week after I stopped taking it I'm no longer sweating, bad taste is gone and my heart rate is back to normal.”

Penny · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2019

“I was prescribed 500mg for 3 days plus 20mg of prednisone for 3 days for severe bronchitis, sinus infection and fluid behind my ears. I was also prescribed albuterol inhaler and I still have severe cough and sound worse than I did when I went into the drs office. I have no bowel movements and now only have inhaler to help with breathing. Still coughing like crazy and blowing my nose. I'm very tired probably have to go back to dr and miss another day or 2 of work. I'm feeling miserable.”

CONative · Taken for less than 1 month December 30, 2018

“(Background: Generally healthy 25 y/o female) I was given a 5 day Z pack for untreated Bronchitis/early stages of Pneumonia. The first day with the 500mg mega dose was very rough on my stomach. I am on day 3 now though and it is absolutely worth it. Besides little to no appetite, days 2 and 3 (250 mg dose each) haven’t given me side effects and I feel 90% better already!! I am also someone who doesn’t respond to many antibiotics so to find one that works is very exciting.”

Emerald December 4, 2018

“I have acute bronchitis and today I got this drug, seeing all these comments saying it's successful gets me really happy that my bronchitis will go away. Today I took this drug and I felt 50% better, I really want my bronchitis to go away, I really do cuz I have a whole big life ahead of me”

marie · Taken for less than 1 month October 22, 2018

“I was suffering with bronchitis for 8 days. I started on this drug and was feeling better within a day. I had no side effects except for slightly soft stools. I highly recommend it.”

ssorkram · Taken for less than 1 month September 29, 2018

“My experience is based only on the first day of taking this drug. It said to take 2 the first day and like others have already mentioned and just like it says in the side effects, I had 2 bowel movements of diarrhea within hours of taking it. It wasn't terrible but I drive for a limo company so I cannot continue with this prescription. I cannot afford to have a "got to get to the bathroom immediately" moment when I have a client in the car. Good thing this only cost me $5.”

Learn more about Bronchitis

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)