User Reviews for Azithromycin

Also known as: Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak, Zithromax, Zmax

Learn more about Azithromycin.

Azithromycin Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 127 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Bronchitis

Zithromax (azithromycin): "Overall, the medications I was prescribed by the doctors worked pretty well. I had an awful cough for a little over two weeks, constantly coughing up phlegm, and had horrible wheezing. It says online to try and wait it out for two weeks but since nothing was getting better I went to the doctors. I was prescribed the z pack, a 5 day dose of prednisone, and an inhaler. After about 3 days on the medications there was a significant difference. I no longer was experiencing cough attacks and the amount I was wheezing diminished. I've been off the medication for 3 days now, and a majority of my bronchitis is gone. I experienced no side effects with any of the medications and am overall happy with the results."

CJeanL August 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My OB/GYN (I'm pregnant) prescribed zpack at the beginning of my cold and cough but I was trying to avoid antibiotics even though this one is safe for pregnancy. I went to ER because I couldn't stop coughing at all, my abdominals were sore and everything. The doctor said I had acute bronchitis and 90% of bronchitis is viral so he didn't think zpack would help and gave me an albuterol inhaler. After no sleep for 2 nights, took zpack and immediately felt better !! There are zpack pills that have a pink outer layer on them these have less effect on your stomach. I have taken both the plain white ones and the pink ones, the pink only made me sleepy, the whites always give me diarrhea on the first doze. I think there is a difference between them"

Gabyyyy July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zithromax (azithromycin): "I woke up one morning with burning in my chest when I coughed, lots of mucous in my upper respiratory area, a headache, 101 fever and the mucous was even flowing out of my left eye. My Internist prescribed the Zpack. On day 3, the burning in my chest went away. But the side effects were severe. On day 3, I began to get massive night sweats. These sweats lasted 31 days after the last pill I took. My blood sugar level also rose to prediabetic levels. My glucose was tested at 115, then 108. My blood pressure and heart beat rocketed for well over a month before it subsided. I would say that my body did not respond very well to Zithromax. But the drug did what it was suppose to. I would never take this drug again unless I was forced to ."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zithromax (azithromycin): "Was given Z pack for Bronchitis. Didn't really help with it. Made me have diarrhea. Made me sick to my stomach, terrible metallic taste and sinus mucus. It was like it was toxic on my system. I also got a bladder infection after taking it. Probably killed all the good bacteria in my gut. Never again."

RitzGS (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"On the first day I felt like death before taking the medicine. After taking day 1 (2 pills) around 630 pm I felt noticeably better by the morning, although I slept horrible (fever, uncomfortable wheezing). I feel 4x better in the morning.... Took this medicine along with prednisone."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a horrible cough, I was coughing so hard I couldn't breathe and I was vomiting. I was diagnosed with bronchitis. I was on the 3 day Pack of AZ. No improvement whatsoever, just horrible diarrhoea and extreme dizziness and fatigue. Was put on other antibiotics and now I'm improving."

lanaxx (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Some poorer Dr.s argue that "Z" packs should NOT be used to treat Bronchitis. This is a dangerous view due to the fact that without such treatment Bronchitis can lead to Acute Bronchitis or even Pneumonia. Don't let the Bad Doctor play with your health. If you have bronchial infection, demand a "Z" pack or replace the doctor!"

Tired of Bad Doctors (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2017

"Helped me get well"

Lunagaia (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zithromax (azithromycin): "Eased my chest tightness when coughing after first day. Took for 3 days then starting experiencing stomach cramps, diarrhea, and gas pressure. Gave me a funny taste in my mouth that I coudn't get rid of. Did not take the last 2 pills. Would rather have a cough then stomach issues."

Anonymous April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got a wicked cold with burning in chest every time I coughed so I thought it was bronchitis. Lots of mucus in upper respiratory area. Low grade fever. I saw my internist (MD) yesterday and she gave me Zpack ( Zithromax). I felt that was correct prescription. I took my third pill on day 2 (today) and a couple of hours later I no longer have burning or chest discomfort when I cough. That is a significant improvement. I had a headache the first day from taking 2 pills. But no other side effects. No side effects today. I did feel less mucus the first day, but still had chest discomfort and less burning. This drug does it's magic when you are asleep at night. I pray by the time I finish the Z Pack I am completely healed. That seems likely now."

So far so good. (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zithromax (azithromycin): "It worked for awhile but didn't kill the bronchitis because it came back - I also got a yeast infection right after taking it."

Medmanager (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Over 2 weeks of horrible cough with copious amounts of yellow phlegm; went to doc and was started on zpak. Within a few hours of first (2 pill) dose, woke up from nap starving my head off. While standing in kitchen, waiting for my leftovers to heat up in the microwave, started sweating profusely and shaking. Felt like a was going to pass out. Started eating everything I could get my hands on, as quickly as I could, until the feeling finally passed, about 15 minutes later. I have never been diagnosed with diabetes, but will certainly keep a close eye on my diet and how I feel while taking this med."

Too soon to tell February 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "Very bad choice for me- should have checked interactions first myself! I am an Afib patient who has been in Sinusoidal rhythm for 5 years after a cardioversion in 2011. I took Azithromycin as prescribed and went into Afib a week later. The cardioversion didn't work this time so we're now looking at more serious alternatives......................"

ffred February 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had a horrible chest cold for over a month that turned in to bronchitis. Suffered through several Dr visits before after about 2 weeks being put on Z-Pak. I think this is the most wonderful antibiotic I've ever been on. By day 2 my energy is returning & today is day 4 & I've done more around the house than I have in over a month. No upset stomach or any side effects"

Heather4282 February 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zithromax (azithromycin): "OMG never again. Within 30 min of taking the 2 pills for the first dose, I experienced a feeling of being intoxicated. It is now 12 hrs later. I still feel high or intoxicated like I had a couple of heavy drinks in me. I'm stumbling, cannot operate a vehicle, walk, or even take a shower or stare at this screen or type on my phone. This drug is horrible. I am jittery and I feel like I'm dying so bad that I just had to call an on-call DR to prescribe me some Augmentin, which I know I can tolerate. I'm taking panic attacks and I feel I am in a brain fog and "comfortably numb". Cannot concentrate or think on this drug. Its the same feeling like right after a percocet, but the high feeling hasn't let up. I hope this feeling goes away soon!!"

HighOnZithro (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It started a month ago where I developed a cold and it went into a bad cough. It was scary and then I lost my voice. My doctor prescribed azithromycin, I decided to look at the reviews and I thought yikes I'm not taking this, One person said the side effects were worse that the illness. Three weeks later I got rid of my cold to get it back one week later but this time the cough turned into bronchitis. Now that cough scared me so bad I decided to look at the positive reviews. One woman said you have to try it first and I did and wow three days on the medicine my cough is almost gone. Side effects,, sore stomach for a few minutes after taking it.. mild headache.. compared to that cough I have nothing to complain about. Life is good again :)"

jojobunny February 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am on day 5 of the Z-Pak for bronchitis and the only improvement I have is no more swollen throat. I cannot take deep breaths otherwise I immediately go into a coughing fit, my coughs are deep and painful, and my stomach is certainly not a fan of this medication at all. I can only sleep on my back to avoid the coughing and wheezing so when I finally do fall asleep I could sleep for days only to wake up more exhausted. I had a fever of 100.9 the first day (Friday) which went away later after the first 2 pills but returned periodically throughout the weekend along with hot and cold sweats. The headaches are honestly the worst part. When I cough my head feels like it's going to split open. Seeking alternative next time."

HulkSmashlie (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Awful. I'm on day 10 of death. Started out as violent D&V thought I'd eaten something dodgy as I'd been in Thailand for a week but day 2 started feeling really awful. Ended up being admitted to hospital after about a week. Had a nebuliser every couple of hours and and IV antibiotic. Chills, shaking, terrible hacking cough, pounding headache, blocked sinus. Thai hospital not much fun with cats wandering around the ward so was pleased to get out after 1 night. They left the cannula in so got pumped full of another dose of antibiotics which in turn made me more sick/diarrhoea. Doc gave me a further 3 days of azithromycin - first dose gave me more diarrhoea and nausea. I have zero appetite and not eaten for 10 days and feel no better at all."

metgirl1 January 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"worst flu I have ever had that turned into Bronchitis. Doctor prescribed this - two tabs first day and then 1 a day for four days. On my third day and incredible difference - no more scary cough. I had no side effects, but it sounds like some people do."

strob January 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this 6-pack medicine to treat the flu and acute bronchitis. I felt much better a day after the first dose of 2 tablets. I experienced no side effects. It did the job beautifully!"

Jamie K (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took it for acute bronchitis, it worked in getting me heathy.. but after I would take the medicine I would get horrific migraines. They would start about an hr or so after taking it and would have me suck in bed. We'll look to other antibiotics in the future."

Redqueen93 (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Starting taking for cough and chest congestion, day 1 real good, some stomach cramps could NOT sleep...day 2 some stomach cramps could NOT sleep, day 3 stomach cramps AGAIN COULD NOT SLEEP, glad i got a doctors note for work cause its 3 days and NO sleep...good for the cough but so bad for the restlessness and constant vigor !!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Mollysue (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with chronic Bronchitis at the age of 32, when I catch a cold and it won't clear up it turns into Bronchitis about 90% of the time. I am now 57 and take the Z pack when I have flare ups, never have I had a relapse, usually by the second dose I am on the mend. The most amazing drug ever, Thankyou"

Roller Bear (taken for 10 years or more) December 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "This medicine helped me. Felt better after day 2."

Christy381978 (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am writing this review to bring to attention to the health community at large that the length of prescription of Azithromycin needs to be re-investigated by proper medical research. The 5 day protocol has been effective only while I've been on the antibiotics for 2 cases of broncitis and 1 of lobar pneumonia that I have had, but shortly after the protocol has ended, on 3 occasions now I have experienced a relapse of symptoms, and a need to go onto another antibiotic. During my present bronchitis episode, yesterday I finallyconvinced a doctor to agree to put me on a 10 day regimen, and I am hoping this will be effective in eliminating my current bronchitis with out recurrence. Most other antibiotics suggest 7-10 day protocols."

Concerned Doctor November 19, 2016