User Reviews for Azithromycin

Also known as: Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak, Zithromax, Zmax

Learn more about Azithromycin.

Azithromycin Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 131 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Bronchitis

Zithromax (azithromycin): "It worked for awhile but didn't kill the bronchitis because it came back - I also got a yeast infection right after taking it."

Medmanager (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Over 2 weeks of horrible cough with copious amounts of yellow phlegm; went to doc and was started on zpak. Within a few hours of first (2 pill) dose, woke up from nap starving my head off. While standing in kitchen, waiting for my leftovers to heat up in the microwave, started sweating profusely and shaking. Felt like a was going to pass out. Started eating everything I could get my hands on, as quickly as I could, until the feeling finally passed, about 15 minutes later. I have never been diagnosed with diabetes, but will certainly keep a close eye on my diet and how I feel while taking this med."

Too soon to tell February 27, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "Very bad choice for me- should have checked interactions first myself! I am an Afib patient who has been in Sinusoidal rhythm for 5 years after a cardioversion in 2011. I took Azithromycin as prescribed and went into Afib a week later. The cardioversion didn't work this time so we're now looking at more serious alternatives......................"

ffred February 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Had a horrible chest cold for over a month that turned in to bronchitis. Suffered through several Dr visits before after about 2 weeks being put on Z-Pak. I think this is the most wonderful antibiotic I've ever been on. By day 2 my energy is returning & today is day 4 & I've done more around the house than I have in over a month. No upset stomach or any side effects"

Heather4282 February 21, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zithromax (azithromycin): "OMG never again. Within 30 min of taking the 2 pills for the first dose, I experienced a feeling of being intoxicated. It is now 12 hrs later. I still feel high or intoxicated like I had a couple of heavy drinks in me. I'm stumbling, cannot operate a vehicle, walk, or even take a shower or stare at this screen or type on my phone. This drug is horrible. I am jittery and I feel like I'm dying so bad that I just had to call an on-call DR to prescribe me some Augmentin, which I know I can tolerate. I'm taking panic attacks and I feel I am in a brain fog and "comfortably numb". Cannot concentrate or think on this drug. Its the same feeling like right after a percocet, but the high feeling hasn't let up. I hope this feeling goes away soon!!"

HighOnZithro (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"It started a month ago where I developed a cold and it went into a bad cough. It was scary and then I lost my voice. My doctor prescribed azithromycin, I decided to look at the reviews and I thought yikes I'm not taking this, One person said the side effects were worse that the illness. Three weeks later I got rid of my cold to get it back one week later but this time the cough turned into bronchitis. Now that cough scared me so bad I decided to look at the positive reviews. One woman said you have to try it first and I did and wow three days on the medicine my cough is almost gone. Side effects,, sore stomach for a few minutes after taking it.. mild headache.. compared to that cough I have nothing to complain about. Life is good again :)"

jojobunny February 10, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I am on day 5 of the Z-Pak for bronchitis and the only improvement I have is no more swollen throat. I cannot take deep breaths otherwise I immediately go into a coughing fit, my coughs are deep and painful, and my stomach is certainly not a fan of this medication at all. I can only sleep on my back to avoid the coughing and wheezing so when I finally do fall asleep I could sleep for days only to wake up more exhausted. I had a fever of 100.9 the first day (Friday) which went away later after the first 2 pills but returned periodically throughout the weekend along with hot and cold sweats. The headaches are honestly the worst part. When I cough my head feels like it's going to split open. Seeking alternative next time."

HulkSmashlie (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Awful. I'm on day 10 of death. Started out as violent D&V thought I'd eaten something dodgy as I'd been in Thailand for a week but day 2 started feeling really awful. Ended up being admitted to hospital after about a week. Had a nebuliser every couple of hours and and IV antibiotic. Chills, shaking, terrible hacking cough, pounding headache, blocked sinus. Thai hospital not much fun with cats wandering around the ward so was pleased to get out after 1 night. They left the cannula in so got pumped full of another dose of antibiotics which in turn made me more sick/diarrhoea. Doc gave me a further 3 days of azithromycin - first dose gave me more diarrhoea and nausea. I have zero appetite and not eaten for 10 days and feel no better at all."

metgirl1 January 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"worst flu I have ever had that turned into Bronchitis. Doctor prescribed this - two tabs first day and then 1 a day for four days. On my third day and incredible difference - no more scary cough. I had no side effects, but it sounds like some people do."

strob January 7, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was prescribed this 6-pack medicine to treat the flu and acute bronchitis. I felt much better a day after the first dose of 2 tablets. I experienced no side effects. It did the job beautifully!"

Jamie K (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I took it for acute bronchitis, it worked in getting me heathy.. but after I would take the medicine I would get horrific migraines. They would start about an hr or so after taking it and would have me suck in bed. We'll look to other antibiotics in the future."

Redqueen93 (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Starting taking for cough and chest congestion, day 1 real good, some stomach cramps could NOT sleep...day 2 some stomach cramps could NOT sleep, day 3 stomach cramps AGAIN COULD NOT SLEEP, glad i got a doctors note for work cause its 3 days and NO sleep...good for the cough but so bad for the restlessness and constant vigor !!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Mollysue (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was diagnosed with chronic Bronchitis at the age of 32, when I catch a cold and it won't clear up it turns into Bronchitis about 90% of the time. I am now 57 and take the Z pack when I have flare ups, never have I had a relapse, usually by the second dose I am on the mend. The most amazing drug ever, Thankyou"

Roller Bear (taken for 10 years or more) December 2, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "This medicine helped me. Felt better after day 2."

Christy381978 (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I am writing this review to bring to attention to the health community at large that the length of prescription of Azithromycin needs to be re-investigated by proper medical research. The 5 day protocol has been effective only while I've been on the antibiotics for 2 cases of broncitis and 1 of lobar pneumonia that I have had, but shortly after the protocol has ended, on 3 occasions now I have experienced a relapse of symptoms, and a need to go onto another antibiotic. During my present bronchitis episode, yesterday I finallyconvinced a doctor to agree to put me on a 10 day regimen, and I am hoping this will be effective in eliminating my current bronchitis with out recurrence. Most other antibiotics suggest 7-10 day protocols."

Concerned Doctor November 19, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "My doctor gave this dose pack have chronic bronchitis it help very little went to doctor again gave me the same thing I had this bronchitis for a month it's a little better but not gone now call doctor again third time got a office tomorrow this dose pack is junk send it back to India"

little charlie October 24, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"If you have ashtma and start to feel bronchitis coming on, get zpack and prednisone. That is a magical combo for ashtmatic bronchitis. The antibiotics are usually only needed for those of us with lung disease or where bronchitis still lingers after a week."

BrianBgb October 1, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"It's a great medicine but the side effects is as bad as the illness. Muscle ache, diarrhea and insomnia. All of this by day 3. However my chest feels a lot better."

SlimSix (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I went to the emergency room to be treated for a very bad cold or flu and was diagnosed for bronchitis and prescribed the 5 day z pack. I took one the 1st day,got worser, had to be rushed back to the emergency, and then was told my lungs had swollen (Lung Inflammation).I could barely breath and was hospitalized for two weeks. I never had a problem with my lungs before taking the 5 day z pack.Im still suffering with lung problems at times but cant be treated anymore because i no longer have a job which means for me no insurance, but the fact is the 5 day z pack is more of a danger to your health than help."

Nite July 24, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zithromax (azithromycin): "The z pak cleared up my bronchitis right away. However it almost instantly caused symptoms of gastritis and pancreatis that made me very ill for five months. I could eat very little but was rapidly losing weight. My doctor found low liver and kidney enzymes and suggested futher tests. A endoscopy, colonoscopy, ultrasound, several lab tests and $1700 later there was no diagnosis but after five months i gradually got better. The next winter I got another cold that turned into bronchitis and was again prescribed a z-pak. Almost immediately the same symptoms occurred and I was just as sick for another 5 months. This time the connection was clear - Z-PAK."

7020erh June 4, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I only have a 6/10 here because I'm on the second day of the dosing. I found this page by googling Azithromycin and bronchitis. It's giving me hope. I still have a fever, but ibuprofen helps that. Lots of fatigue, but if you can't get a good breath in you're going to be tired! Coughing is less, which is good, and lungs aren't as soggy as they were. I did experiences some stomach discomfort, but if you take an antibiotic on an empty stomach, that can definitely happen. All in all, I'm happy with this. I just hope it takes away my bronchitis!! I want to run again without getting dizzy."

Coughy McHackface-Itis (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zithromax (azithromycin): "I was coughing up brownish yellow mucous with a deep cough.After a breathing treatment and 2-3 days of zithromax I was clear without any residual effects."

Keifofer (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I went to the ER this morning because I had a bad cough with chest pains. I was told I had bronchitis and was given two pills at the hospital. It's been about 1 hour and a half and my stomach is cramping horribly with severe diarrhea. I will NOT be taking the remainder if this medicine. Honey and lemon for me."

Jenny1977 May 16, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zithromax (azithromycin): "A LOT of trouble with stomach issues; diarrhea, stomach pains & MAJOR STOMACH DISCOMFORT !!!!"

Doritz April 29, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I get bronchitis very easily during high pollen seasons. It starts with normal to me allergy and asthma symptoms. I go to sleep and wake up--BOOM! I have bronchitis. This happened last Friday. When I woke up about 10:00 I was running a fever and coughing terribly. Fever went up to 105.2. It scared me. Over the weekend I fought the fever the best I could. I was in Dr.s office by 8:00 on Monday. I haven't seen a big improvement in anything except my fever is gone. I'm on day 3 of z pack and prednisone. Still coughing outrageously. Now it feels like I have a head cold also. I sneezed about a hundred times last night. I will see how I feel on last day of z pack but so far it hasn't done what I had hoped it would."

DebbieintheDraft (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016