User Reviews for Azithromycin

Also known as: Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak, Zithromax, Zmax

Learn more about Azithromycin.

Azithromycin Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 146 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Bronchitis

"It's a great medicine but the side effects is as bad as the illness. Muscle ache, diarrhea and insomnia. All of this by day 3. However my chest feels a lot better."

SlimSix (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2016

"I went to the emergency room to be treated for a very bad cold or flu and was diagnosed for bronchitis and prescribed the 5 day z pack. I took one the 1st day,got worser, had to be rushed back to the emergency, and then was told my lungs had swollen (Lung Inflammation).I could barely breath and was hospitalized for two weeks. I never had a problem with my lungs before taking the 5 day z pack.Im still suffering with lung problems at times but cant be treated anymore because i no longer have a job which means for me no insurance, but the fact is the 5 day z pack is more of a danger to your health than help."

Nite July 24, 2016

Zithromax (azithromycin): "The z pak cleared up my bronchitis right away. However it almost instantly caused symptoms of gastritis and pancreatis that made me very ill for five months. I could eat very little but was rapidly losing weight. My doctor found low liver and kidney enzymes and suggested futher tests. A endoscopy, colonoscopy, ultrasound, several lab tests and $1700 later there was no diagnosis but after five months i gradually got better. The next winter I got another cold that turned into bronchitis and was again prescribed a z-pak. Almost immediately the same symptoms occurred and I was just as sick for another 5 months. This time the connection was clear - Z-PAK."

7020erh June 4, 2016

"I only have a 6/10 here because I'm on the second day of the dosing. I found this page by googling Azithromycin and bronchitis. It's giving me hope. I still have a fever, but ibuprofen helps that. Lots of fatigue, but if you can't get a good breath in you're going to be tired! Coughing is less, which is good, and lungs aren't as soggy as they were. I did experiences some stomach discomfort, but if you take an antibiotic on an empty stomach, that can definitely happen. All in all, I'm happy with this. I just hope it takes away my bronchitis!! I want to run again without getting dizzy."

Coughy McHackface-Itis (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2016

Zithromax (azithromycin): "I was coughing up brownish yellow mucous with a deep cough.After a breathing treatment and 2-3 days of zithromax I was clear without any residual effects."

Keifofer (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2016

"I went to the ER this morning because I had a bad cough with chest pains. I was told I had bronchitis and was given two pills at the hospital. It's been about 1 hour and a half and my stomach is cramping horribly with severe diarrhea. I will NOT be taking the remainder if this medicine. Honey and lemon for me."

Jenny1977 May 16, 2016

Zithromax (azithromycin): "A LOT of trouble with stomach issues; diarrhea, stomach pains & MAJOR STOMACH DISCOMFORT !!!!"

Doritz April 29, 2016

"I get bronchitis very easily during high pollen seasons. It starts with normal to me allergy and asthma symptoms. I go to sleep and wake up--BOOM! I have bronchitis. This happened last Friday. When I woke up about 10:00 I was running a fever and coughing terribly. Fever went up to 105.2. It scared me. Over the weekend I fought the fever the best I could. I was in Dr.s office by 8:00 on Monday. I haven't seen a big improvement in anything except my fever is gone. I'm on day 3 of z pack and prednisone. Still coughing outrageously. Now it feels like I have a head cold also. I sneezed about a hundred times last night. I will see how I feel on last day of z pack but so far it hasn't done what I had hoped it would."

DebbieintheDraft (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

"Started with a cold, then the flu, then bronchitis and finally sinus infection- never felt so bad... deep wheezing and coughing up horrible stuff as well as same with nose- hate to take ANYTHING but didn't want to end up in hospital. By day 3- big difference and on day 5- felt great. The only thing that bothered me was day 6 now have vertigo- went back to the DR, said fluid in ears so hoping that goes away soon. Otherwise I read about the tummy ache so ate a bunch throughout the course and never got nausea or otherwise but do feel bloated!"

LovesLife<3 March 27, 2016

"I'm on day 4, feel on and off with Z-Pack. First day, 2 pills, couldn't sleep, coughed my brains out..messed my panties, decided to wear a maxipad........green phlegm....told myself to hang in...sensitive eyes, and feeling wired..was so tired, I just wanted to sleep.......crying a lot again..... Day 3...1 pill....restless night, heart palpitations, watch TV cause i couldn't fall asleep....Cried at everything...like tears pouring out of my eyes I'm obese and do you think I'm not eating? I'm hungry...I'm on Warfarin, suppose to be compatible with Azith////beginning to feel the good ole 10 day Antibiotic regimen is better...Went back to my Doctor, yesterday...and will today also.."

nancy with the laughing face, (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2016

"I have been getting bronchitis almost every year for the last 11 years. The Zpack is what I was given this time and 9 months ago. For this round I just my day 3 doseage. I started feeling somewhat better yesterday, however I think I overdid it at work. I completely lost my breath and started coughing horribly again to where I had to go outside and sit down for close to 10 minutes to calm everything down and be able to breath. Overall I feel like it is working as long as I take it easy...the only side effects I have had is I'm exhausted no matter how much sleep I get."

Beans mommy March 9, 2016

"GAS like you wouldn't even believe. I'm actually afraid to leave the house! I felt it working right after I took the first two pill. Cautiously optimistic, still 4 days to go."

Sick In ATL (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2016

"Took 2 pills on day 1 at 8pm. I didn't fall asleep until after 4am, and woke up at 620am. Started to feel better after day 3, then all of my symptoms came back. The frequency of symptoms were less, but the severity was more. Still have 2 more days left. Only side effect is not being able to sleep. Like at all."

nickname already in use March 7, 2016

"Takes care of the symptoms quickly. The first day feels like a sledgehammer to your chest. No side effects."

G3 (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2016

"z packs never get rid of the problem. I start to feel better and when the pills are done issue comes back full force an I end up feeling even worse. I don't have this issue with any other antibiotic. I have asked not to be prescribed it anymore."

Anonymous March 3, 2016

Zithromax (azithromycin): "Used a number of times over the years and always found it to work better than anything. 250mg capsules (6), 2 to begin then 1 per day, 1 hour before, or 2hours after eating. Lots of coughing up phlegm but clears the chest so can breath properly. Keep lots of tissues handy. It ought to be available over the counter, as in some foreign countries."

old man 79 February 29, 2016

"If you take probiotics a couple of times daily between the azithromycin dose, I don't have any digestive issues, stomach ache, diarrhea, etc. Takes a couple days to start kicking in."

lalalan January 25, 2016

"I'm 43 with a life long history of bronchitis. When I get sick, I often find myself coughing until I vomit. I have been prescribed the "Z Pack" several times. I have found that, while it does ultimately take care of the bronchitis, it takes at least 7-8 days from the time I start the medicine until I begin to feel relief. In fact, during this current episode, my symptoms continued to worsen until today, which is the day I took the last pill. I don't yet feel any better, but today I am not getting any worse. This is consistent with each of the other times I have been prescribed this medication. I typically don't have major stomach issues while taking the medicine, but on occasion have had issues the first and second day."

Sick, Coughing Robyn January 24, 2016

"I had vomitting, dizziness, turned blue and just got worse. Awful drug."

Ickysicky (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2016

"I have had experience with IBS symptoms in the past.. Thinking the diarrhea I was experiencing with this medicine was from that. But now I'm thinking its the medicine. Cured my bronchitis but the immense pain I had in my stomach and burning of loose stool was not worth it. Happened the first day and the last day of the 5 day regimen. So glad it's over, just hope the loose stool is over too. I will never take this antibiotic again unless my life depends on it."

Shelly1a2d3c (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2016

"I took 2 first dose of pills for severe bronchitis and then fell asleep. I awoke with diarrhea, then washed clothes, fell back asleep and had another bout with diarrhea and had to wash clothes again. I never had something like this happen to me before! Very scary to say the least- I am only 59 so still in good physical shape. Just glad I did not ruin my memory foam mattress! Now am 24 hours later and afraid to take next dose- only one pill but am going to be awake for a long while.... Seems to have helped for bronchitis."

Debsmi January 14, 2016

"Was prescribed 500mg for 3 days for acute bronchitis and got worse on day 4 to the point of needing to go to the hospital. Deepened cough, unable to breathe and severe stomach cramps. This drug is useless and only promotes worse super bugs and antibiotic resistant strains."

Headed to the hospital. (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2016

"I was prescribed 250 mg of Azithromycin. I had to take two pills and then one a day until it was finished. The medicine had an effect on my bodies natural bacteria which made me constipated, but it worked great! I had better results with 875 mg of Amoxicillin for 10 days."

Thecreative1 January 9, 2016

Zithromax (azithromycin): "Anaphylaxis."

Tony 709 January 7, 2016

"I have used this numerous times for both bronchitis and sinusitis and it has always worked great for me. The 5 day z-pack is great. I don't have to take a pill for 14 days and that is awesome. Every time I have taken it, I have experienced stomach pain on the first day but each day following it, no problems. This medicine is awesome and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants fast and effective relief!!"

CSinKY (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2016