User Reviews for Azithromycin

Also known as: Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak, Zithromax, Zmax

Learn more about Azithromycin.

Azithromycin Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 260 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Sinusitis

"I was given the zpak 5day pack, Day 1 took two pills, 2 hours later i coyld not move due to SEVERE upper stomach pain that felt as if it would kill me, the pain was so bad it I couldn't even breathe because it felt like my stomach was getting ripped out from the inside. If you dont have heart problems already you will after taking this medication from all the clenching and being heeled over. I did not experience diarrhea after taking the day 1 dose. I could not fall asleep. Im suppose to take day 2 dose but I'm very weary of taking it after yesterdays episode I was in bed from 8 a.m to 2 a.m dont know if taking only one pill today would be different from the 2 pill dose."

sessa (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

"Had to stop taking because of SEVERE stomach pain and cramping. I would double over in pain and could't find relief doing anything, just had to suffer through it. Took me about 3 to 4 weeks to get back to normal. DO NOT recommend :("

rbh11 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

"I had to stop this drug early because it gave me such bad stomach pain. I'm allergic to Penicillin, so this was the next choice for my sinus/ear infection. Even tried with a full meal and probiotics, but it took my stomach a full month to return to normal after stopping azithromycin, will not be taking again."

Bre01 April 29, 2016

"I was prescribed the 500mg pill 1x a day for 3 days (for my sinus infection). I took pill #1 at 2pm with my lunch. By 5pm, my stomach started to gurgle and groan. By 6pm, the diarrhea started. It was awful! I say it's a nightmare second only to the colonoscopy prep kit I had six months ago! I must've been on the toilet 6x in an hour and a half. I was cold, shivering, nauseated, and exhausted. I'm absolutely not continuing this treatment. :("

CTsufferer April 6, 2016

"I went to see doctor finally after 100+ days of sinusitis...just thought it was a persistent cold. No bad side effects, at all, but not as effective as I had hoped. First day (2 doses) I felt improvement after 4 hours. Day 2 unfortunately, all symptoms worsened (congestion, headache, ear pressure, postnasal drip, coughing). Day 3, symptoms became worse still. Day 4 was nearly unbearble with the worst headache I have had in my 66 years. Ears felt as if filled with fluid. Not able to sleep at all at night, even with head in elevated position. Today is Day 5, and I've taken the final dose. There is some improvement today, and the package asserts that the antibiotic will keep working for Days 6-10, even though no more doses will be taken."

marymorstan (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2016

"The first day it caused me very bad nausea. However I think it's because I had to take 2 pills on the first day per the instructions. On the 2nd day I had a bit of diarrhea but the nausea went away. I learned that I had to eat a lot to get my stomach full in order not to feel the nausea. Overall, this medicine worked in clearing up my sinus infection. I feel that on the 3rd day the medicine did its job and I started showing much improvement. (My fever had gone away after the first dose of medicine.)"

SVT Mommy (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2016

"I'm on day 4 of Zpack. Started out on Doxycycline. Took it for 2 days and had horrible side effects. Replaced with 5 day Zpack. I have had some stomach pain. It starts about 2 hours after I take it and lasts for about 2 hours. I started taking Culturelle prior to the Zpack. I think that has helped keep some of the tummy troubles at bay. I feel a lot better. I've been sick with sinus infection for 22 days. The only issue I am having now is pain and tenderness in the bridge of my nose. I have 1 more day on Zpack. Not sure if it's going to help my nose."

HeyItsTiff February 10, 2016

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "It worked however on the fifth day of taking it i had an Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT). Later found out there was a study out that confirmed hearth Rythym issues."

Anonymous February 2, 2016

"Extreme diarrhea first and second day Just getting started for 7 days"

punpkin (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2016

Zithromax (azithromycin): "Was told by a doctor who specialized in respiratory infections, because his main patients were miners, that I would suffer with chronic sinus infections the rest of my life and that a z-pak would work but to really wipe it out, I should use ceftin. So if z-pak does not work for anyone try the ceftin. I get z-pak normally because I can tolerate the azithromycin. A little stomach upset on the day after all meds are taken (6th day), but other than that, good results...usually takes 48 hours for me to feel better since I am older and have a weakened immune system, but on that third day, much much better."

Lucille 60 (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2016

Zithromax (azithromycin): "After trying other antibiotics. This was the only one that worked. The Doctor tried to tell me it would not work for Sinusitis. It is the only antibiotic that takes it away for me."

Pashon December 26, 2015

Zithromax (azithromycin): "It's a life saver for me. Chronic sinus problem that occurs twice a year. Slight stomach issues after initial dose. Knocks out brain fog. Had the best night sleep in months. Always take with food, and you will have no issues. Made me feel 90% better 24 hours after initial dosage. Use with Flonase to open passages to help get it all. Only thing that works for my sinus problems."

Pauly D. December 7, 2015

"I have taken this medicine many many times before and it has alway worked with no problems.I have had serious stomach issues this time around..slightly since day one..tonight is day 4 and I just experienced severe abdominal cramping and pain....loose stools (tmi)..so severe I though I would have to go to ER..started about 10 minutes after taking athe pill. .not on a empty stomach Iate about 1 hour prior...maybe just a freak think but very scary..a few hours went by and I'm starting to feel better...not sure if I will take last pill l tomorrow"

Rjff470 November 16, 2015

Zithromax (azithromycin): "This medication did help my issue but it has now caused me to bruise so easy. I can barely scratch my leg and a few minutes later, my leg looks like I had been hit. They are not the painful but they or tender."

Sassy1510 (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2015

"Was given this medication 7 days ago and still feel sick. Yesterday I took a shower and sinuses really started draining. I was so excited. Am also doing the sinus flush 4 times a day. Today I woke up with a headache and the chills. Took another shower with little drainage. Back to the Dr. on Monday as this should be working by now."

Gus121 (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2015

"On my 2nd package of 5 day Z pack, it is working but slow to act. This is a bad infection, it had been on and off for past 6 months. I will need another refill today or my Dr. may try another option. I can not take any cyllin drugs. This sinusitis is a chronic problem. I was experiencing this problem almost yearly every fall/winter then stopped for past 5 years. Now it is back with vengeance..."

BobRB52 (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2015

Zithromax (azithromycin): "The day one two pills does tend to wipe out the bacteria in my gut. After having stomach issues on the first night of the first time, I do take a probiotic and one immodium at night. First time I took this it wiped the infection in 48 hours. Second time 11 months later it did not work quite so well. Infection greatly decreased but did come back 5 days later. I think part of the problem was that I still had a virus and mold allergy problems from rain as well as an infection so had trouble eliminating congestion. I took a 5 day dosage and did have symptoms reoccur in a week. I do think it would have worked better if I had not had these additional issues related to a virus and allergies."

EricfromNC (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2015

"I suffer from chronic sinusitis. allergic to doxycycline. azithromycin is a life saver. its great."

Rick Ladd October 17, 2015

"Got this prescribed yesterday for my sinus infection I have, on day 2 of taking it and still do not feel any better although I was told it is a slow moving medicine. Throat hurts really bad and hurts to swallow, hopefully it will improve."

EJAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY October 15, 2015

"After third dose I feel worse than before. Headache, diarrhea, bad taste in mouth, upset stomach, and weak. Two doses left of five day pack and can breathe a bit but other side effects are awful. Feel as unmedicated I felt better."

Billie212 (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2015

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "re: side effects, I forgot to add to the comments I just submitted that while my stomach felt a little weird the morning after my first dose (this being 12 hours later) I was prepared to eat plenty of probiotics, which I have been doing. I have not had any problems; I am really pushing the yogurt and kefir. I did feel extraordinarily tired but not debilitated, and I was extremely fatigued from nearly 5 weeks of being sick, so the trade-off is meaningless, and it's improved after the first mega-dose anyway."

tiggerflute (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2015

"I was prescribed azrithromycin by my Dr for sinusitis. I have suffered from year-long allergies since I was a kid & this year has definitely been a bad one for me. I was a little worried about taking this medication because I read that some people got bad stomach upset with it. Luckily enough, the worst thing that happened to me was minor lower abdominal cramps, no worse than menstrual cramps. By the time I woke up the next day I was able to breathe clear for the first time literally in months. I did not feel congested, although I did have a very minor sore throat that I believe was caused by my sinuses finally draining. I definitely recommend taking this drug with food --it helps avoid stomach upset or cramps. Otherwise this helped me"

Kelsey G. June 19, 2015

"Did great job of treating a sinus infection, where I had pounding headaches all day for 48 hours prior to use. By day 2, I was significantly better. One issue is that two pills on day 1 did wipe out bacteria in the gut. I wish pharmacist gave me a heads up. In hindsight, I would have spaced first 2 pills out by at least 12 hours. Took one pill at 4pm and another at 8pm. By day 2 was fine, but I did need a probiotic and immodium to get through the first night."

NC Resident (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2015

"I got a sinus infection for the first time in my life and when it didn't go away I was given Augmentin - it barely helped. Went back to the ENT and he gave me cephalexin. Not much improvement. Then he gave me Cipro. I gave up. My quality of life was so much lower. I couldn't smell. I had to sleep elevated. I never imagined how bad a sinus infection was, especially chronic. Then a dentist gave me a Z pack on recommendation of a friend. Within days I was a new woman. I could smell! I could breath. I was so grateful."

Berynice (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2015

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "Sinusitis was so bad that my teeth even hurt. Now on day 2 of azithromycin, pain about 80% resolved. Absolutely no side effects. Have taken azithromycin in past for sinusitis and consistently note resolution prior to completion of 5 day pack."

old man rn March 21, 2015