User Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Sinusitis

Also known as: Zithromax, Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak

Azithromycin has an average rating of 6.7 out of 10 from a total of 123 ratings for the treatment of Sinusitis. 55% of those users who reviewed Azithromycin reported a positive effect, while 24% reported a negative effect.

Azithromycin Rating Summary

6.7/10 average rating

Compare all 173 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Azithromycin

Ijeland10 · Taken for less than 1 month April 28, 2021

“I went to the Dr last Tuesday and was given a sinus cocktail injection for my stuffy nose, sneezing , running nose and etc. I haven’t had the cocktail in years but it did nothing for me shocking . My dr then prescribed me Azithromycin 250 mg tablets & I honestly feel worse than I did before I started the medicine. I am two days off the medicine and my nose is stuffy again . I am mad that I took this medicine. This my second time taking this medication and it did nothing this time .”

Lianna April 2, 2021

Zithromax (azithromycin): “I am prone to sinus infections, and usually get them with seasonal changes. Sometimes they come with ear stuffiness, and usually with a fever, sore throat, and migraines. The exhaustion is the worst! With 2 small children, this time around, I had to get back on my feet quickly as there are no sick days. Well ZPACK works within hours, even on the pain of the sinus pressure! This has gotten me back to normal more times in my 34 years than I can count. I am extremely thankful for it because I have very few alternatives, being severely allergic to penicillin.”

Charollette · Taken for less than 1 month January 17, 2021

“This azithromycin did absolutely nothing to help my sinus infection. I was very disappointed. I actually felt worse on the last day of taking it than the first. No more for me.”

Lola · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2020

“Absolutely horrible side effects. Chest pain, shortness of breath and volatile heart beat from 2nd day of therapy onward (it was a five-day course). Ended up in ER, but EKG seemed normal. I am now in the third day after taking the last pill. Cleared up my sinusitis, but side effects are still lingering. Feeling hot on the inside, but no fever. Feelings of hopelessness, severe depression. Heart rate up to 130 only to drop to 50. Chest pain. Fear of a heart attack. No appetite whatsoever. Surviving on soup. One moment I feel like my old self, the next I feel like I'm losing my mind.”

Pauly D. December 7, 2015

Zithromax (azithromycin): “It's a life saver for me. Chronic sinus problem that occurs twice a year. Slight stomach issues after initial dose. Knocks out brain fog. Had the best night sleep in months. Always take with food, and you will have no issues. Made me feel 90% better 24 hours after initial dosage. Use with Flonase to open passages to help get it all. Only thing that works for my sinus problems.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 13, 2012

Zithromax (azithromycin): “After suffering from a cold for 8 days, I woke up with extreme pressure in my sinuses and couldn't hear due to my ears being clogged. I was prescribed the 3 day Zithromax and after one day felt sooo much better. The pressure went away and I had a slightly runny nose. One the second day I could breathe without using decongestants. I haven't had any side effects, but maybe a slight pang in my stomache when taking (I usually eat something right after taking). I'm usually resistant to going to the dr. but very glad I did this time.”

Pharmboy · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2020

“I am a pharmacist by trade. During these bad times when there is Covid running around I knew from experience that I do not have it and I normally get a bad chest, cough my lungs out then excessive phlegm and sinusitis. This time was no different except because I have been travelling I could not see my Dr. I was assured that most of the time it is a virus that is the causative agent so I persisted with no antibiotic. This was silly and short sighted. After one single double dose of the stat pack of azithromycin the phlegm stopped and I did not feel like I was drowning in the chest, my covid was better. Slept a full night and the pain in the sinuses is still there but seems to be lessening. I called my Dr. and begged for azythromycin. I was given a generic equivalent. TG it has worked on the first dose. I feel like a new man.”

no more siccko · Taken for less than 1 month April 17, 2014

“I had a tickle in my throat and very tired on day one. Then day 3 a dry hacking cough and then runny nose and congestion. Day 5 woke up to bad sinus headache and pressure but not getting better and worse cough. Day 7 I felt like death warmed over and couldn't take it anymore. Went to doctor and got 5 day Zpak and inhaler. Took day 1 dose and next morning felt much better and lot of the sinus pressure and headache were gone. By dose Day 4 much much better and only small cough now. ”

Steph3 August 6, 2014

Zithromax (azithromycin): “Took away my ear infection but gave me. Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, heart palpitations, anxiety, shortness of breath, diarrhea, dizziness, etc... So not worth it. I was less sick before starting this medicine.”

Chronic Sinusitis · Taken for less than 1 month October 11, 2014

Zithromax (azithromycin): “I have had chronic sinusitis for the better part of 10 years now off and on. It really gets bad as spring changes over to summer as well as summer over to fall. I have taken several different antibiotics over the years and the sinusitis keeps coming back stronger the next year. So I just started the 7 day ZPak yesterday for the first time and just took the second days dosage. Much like most of the other reviews on this site, I am experiencing some minor diarrhea as well as flatulence. Which, in my opinion, can be a deadly combination for a new pair of white boxer briefs! I have not noticed any other side effect as of yet but again I am only on the second day. I will tell you that I am feeling much livelier right now and gained motivation”

Spidero April 7, 2010

Zithromax (azithromycin): “I've used Zithromax 6-Paks for years to treat chronic sinus infections. They always work and have virtually no side effects for me. I have noticed that I need to take the treatment twice for a persistent sinus infection. Usually, one treatment does it. Azithromycin is the ONLY antibiotic that does NOT give me terrible side effects such as stomach aches, cramps, headaches, dizziness, "brain fog".”

Lucille 60 · Taken for less than 1 month January 31, 2016

Zithromax (azithromycin): “Was told by a doctor who specialized in respiratory infections, because his main patients were miners, that I would suffer with chronic sinus infections the rest of my life and that a z-pak would work but to really wipe it out, I should use ceftin. So if z-pak does not work for anyone try the ceftin. I get z-pak normally because I can tolerate the azithromycin. A little stomach upset on the day after all meds are taken (6th day), but other than that, good results...usually takes 48 hours for me to feel better since I am older and have a weakened immune system, but on that third day, much much better.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2014

“I had chronic sinusitis and had balloon sinuplasty surgery to correct the problem. I had lost nasal drip which led to bronchitis which triggered asthma attacks. I could hardly breath until I took the azythromycin. Within a couple hours my airways were opening up and I was able to breath again. On my second day now and things just keep getting better. This medicine is taking out whatever bacteria is in my lungs. It was a real life saver for me.”

BeckiStart May 26, 2014

“This is my first time taking a 6 pill pack. I have used regular azithromycin for sinus infections before with great results. This infection knocked me out. After being sick for a week I needed help. I started hallucinations because I couldn't breathe or sleep. So I gave in and went to the ER. I cleared up right after the first dose. By dose 3 I was breathing without wheezing. I'm going on day 4 and I can finally sleep. Ahhh sleep is great. I did get dizzy and there was a nasty taste in my mouth and I did have a few loose stools but all in all I would rather put up with those small side effects and be able to sleep.”

Anonymous November 19, 2009

Zithromax (azithromycin): “I personally believe The Z-Pak should be the #1 Drug Prescribed on the Market if you need to maintain your Health FAST & be yourself again. I seem to be prone to Strep Throat, Severe Sinustitis & Resp. Infections in the Fall & Winter. A couple of years ago I was 'Due to have Surgery in 6 Days' and was told "if I was sick I would have to Postpone it". Well after waiting a month for this Surgery, planning a Home & Dog Sitter & Time off from work 'working it in with everyone else's Schedules, to me it was Imperative I be well enough 4 all to go as planned'. "5 day Z-Pac was prescribed". It is a no nonsense drug and I can not think of a single side effect. I was well enough for surgery to go on as planned. ”

Sheba · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 11, 2019

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): “This azithromycin antibiotic is the best! I’m a first grade teacher and seem to get sick easily even with homeopathic medicines and extreme hygienic practices. It starts with sore throat then congestion in nose and throat. Excessive phlegm development and coughing. I try OTC first NYQUIL Mucinex and Vick’s rub, but the 5 day azithromycin Z pack always gets rid of it! I worry about being on it now 2x a year but I heard it is less harmful or strong as others so it’s safe.”

N.Mosley · Taken for less than 1 month March 6, 2013

“I have had a severe sinus infection, ear infection and tooth infection for a little over a month. I've been to the doctor quite a few times and was prescribed penicillin the first time and amox-clav the second. I though it was clearing up but within a week it was back. So, back over to the doctor and was prescribed Z-pack. After the first dose I felt so much better! I'm hoping this will clear all of the infection.”

anewmom January 12, 2010

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): “Had a terrible sinus infection. Got on a Zpack. It takes until day 3 before your really start feeling like it's working. The pack continues to work 10 days after you finish it. I had no tummy problems like I have read on other postings, but I do make sure to eat yogurt everyday when I am on any type of antibiotic. The probiotics in yogurt can keep you from getting loose stools. The one thing that I did notice this time was some dizziness. Never before had that with taking a Zpac. It was not severe dizziness, but enough to make me wonder.”

RoMaGo January 25, 2014

“After 5 days of terrible dry hacking cough causing chest muscles to be sore and being unable to function, I went to the Dr. and he prescribed the Z Pak. On day 2 and I see results. It is loosening up all the congestion. I am finally a little better. I have a ways to go but I do see good results. When I talked to the pharmacist, he suggested eating something light before taking even though you can take on an empty stomach. He said some get upset stomach after taking so I took his advice and having no problems. I tried Mucinex before seeing the Dr. but got no results this time. Glad I went in for a checkup.”

old man rn March 21, 2015

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): “Sinusitis was so bad that my teeth even hurt. Now on day 2 of azithromycin, pain about 80% resolved. Absolutely no side effects. Have taken azithromycin in past for sinusitis and consistently note resolution prior to completion of 5 day pack.”

MartinaSG December 29, 2016

“Horrible medication!!!! After taking a third pill I started to have an excrutiating pain in my ear and within several hours I lost partially my hearing in both ears. I have looked up the side effects in the enclosed flyer and also online and there is a FDA warning that this antibiotics is linked to a hearing loss! I almost had a heart attack reading it. I have informed my Dr. but they say they never heard of anything like that (of course). I didn't finished taking the prescribed dose. My hearing has improved a little bit but it has been more that 2 weeks and I still can't hear well. My ears are ringing and clicking and I am so scared that this might be permanent. Has this happened to anybody else?”

JakeGuy · Taken for 10 years or more January 9, 2019

“Had sinus infections most of my life. Prescribed for first sinus infection 20 years ago & just ended a 6 week infection with 5 days of 500mg. They've tried about every other antibiotic alternative for fear longterm exposure to azithro could decrease effectiveness. Other antibiotics, air purifiers, nasal wash systems, sprays, antihistamines.. nothing else works for my sinuses. The only side effect I get is INCREASED appetite. Still, azithro is the ONLY thing that works for me 20 years!”

Alli_was_sick · Taken for less than 1 month January 21, 2015

“My symptoms of sinusitis grew rapidily over 24 hours BEFORE taking this antibiotic. I started out with allergy symptoms, Only on my left side. 8 hours into it I had a pounding headache and my face and nose hurt really bad. I suffer from anxiety and had a bad experience last year while taking over the counter cold/allergy meds, so this year I was definitely not going to medicate myself up and decided to go to the doctor. my dr. visit was on the second day of being sick & I was full blown with what I thought had turned into a flu.Coughing was mild and mostly because i was dizzy so i felt nauseous and would cough. Chills,sweats,shakes,worst headache ever,nose and face hurt so bad. took 2 pills felt better in 5 hours”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2015

“Have had a sinus infection for 11 months... tried all types of antibiotics and they would help a little but right back to same stuff. Major congestion, Hard phlegm, trouble breathing, etc. Took azithromycin day 1 was able to breathe thru nose again. loosened up all mucus. Day 2 felt like a new person.”

grits91919 April 10, 2008

Zithromax (azithromycin): “I have just started taking the z-pack a few days ago and am already starting to feel A LOT better! I have sinusitus, an ear ache that was caused by a middle ear infection and so far, the pains are a lot more tolerant! THANK YOU Z-PACK!!”

Jmnknight January 20, 2017

Zithromax (azithromycin): “I was prescribed a five day round with the Z-pak after developing a severe flu-like upper respiratory infection with stuffed and painful sinuses plus aches, sore throat, diarrhea, muscle pain, nausea, and more. I had a Rituxan infusion, and all of this started the next day (common side effects or adverse events). I have rheumatoid arthritis, and my immunosystem is screwed to begin with and the Rituxan infusions temporarily make it worse. So I picked up a bug; bam! Long story, short ending. The Z-pak began working almost immediately, and two hours after my second pill of 250 mg (first was 500) I don't feel sick. My sinuses are still a bit clogged but that's livable. I'm impressed.”

Oceangirl · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2019

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): “I've taken this for every URI I've ever had and feel better after first dose. No side effects. I love it. My new doctor won't prescribe it for me for some reason. Well, she's either a PA or a NP. That may have something to do with it. I know what works and is easy to take and doesn't RIP my guts out and keeps working long after the last dose is taken. I highly recommend this”

Kumite4u January 23, 2014

“Had a very sore throat, sinus and ears completely congested, lungs and back extremely sore with a gurgling sound in every breath and continuous coughing. Overall I felt very miserable. I'm very reluctant to go to a doctor but finally did. I was given the 5 day Z-pack. I noticed feeling a lot better even after the first dose. I wasn't expecting something to work so quickly. Now on the 3rd day and sort of leveled out. Not feeling better but I'm not miserable. Still congested in my lungs but I can breath freely. I hope this knocks it out by the 5th day.”

Learn more about Sinusitis