User Reviews for Azithromycin

Also known as: Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak, Zithromax, Zmax

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Azithromycin.

Azithromycin Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Sinusitis

"On day 2 with Novo-Azithromycin, and my throat is killing me! It’s hurts to swallow. Is this normal? I woke up at 3am with chills and sore throat. It is worse at night when I try to sleep."

SH2 January 23, 2018

"Side effects headache dizziness really and tired. I have eye pain, no hungry stomach pain body chill and pain nervous I feel like I m gonna get side I m on my 3 days of this medication and my sinus well my nose still stuffy sometimes haven’t see a lot change I have 3 more days to go let’s see cause amoxicillin didn’t work for me :("

Ana12345678 (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2018

"GREAT antibiotic! Love that I take two on the 1st day, and only 4 others, instead of taking the other “horse pills 3-4X a day for 10 days Worked within one day, and very effective with no side effects that I felt"

DaddyDoman (taken for less than 1 month) November 25, 2017

"Took this drug (5 day dose) for a sinus infection. It did clear up the infection but the side effects were horrible. I got dizzy, had a horrible headache, felt nauseous and at one point even vomited. Each day was agonizing, and I think I could have taken something else easier on the body for a minor sinus infection. I finished my last dose two days ago but I'm still feeling the dizziness. I hope it goes away soon."

Amy H.C (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2017

"Took first two pills for sinus and ear infection that I’ve had for months. Tried holistic stuff, but Only temp relief. I used to use this all the time and never once had reactions. Most generics usually turn to rubbish, this did too. Had instantaneous stomach bloating and indigestion (took with GF cereal) skin red and itchy, and worst of all I’ve suddenly got flu like symptoms. Feel like trash. 99.4 temp but feel like I’m on fire. Just a little advice here at the end for sufferers of chronic sinus infections and the like. Just found out why I’m sick all the time. IGG SUBCLASS DEFICIENCIES. I’m prone to get sinus infections and others. Have Rhumatologist or immunologist check your immune system. Finally found out why I’m so sickly."

Sick Nick (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2017

"I usually get 2-3 sinus infections a year, usually starts with a cold then comes the sinus infection. Azithromycin is a miracle drug for me. I was seen by Dr today and the pain was so intense it caused my blood pressure to be high, she prescribed me zpack and within hours after taking the initial dose the pain is 50% less. I do not have any side effects from the medicine and it is the only prescription drug that works this well on my sinus infection"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2017

"I was put on the z pac it is the one you take for 5 days ,for sinuses. I would not recommend it if you are like me and have reflux or stomach issues. I had taken it before, however this time there was more symptoms and side effects than ever before, I think they changed some things in this pill. I took the first day 1 one tablet about 12 hours apart not the two together. I have a very acidity feeling and bad diverticulosis in my stomach. After the 3 pills got hives on my leg after I took the second one started to feel nausea so bad and chills, as well as terrible diarrhea and it cleared up the sinus infection some but it is tearing my stomach to pieces even after eating before I take it. Reported the hives to the doctor he said keep taking I did and I am itching again"

Snowdove111 September 14, 2017

"I am on day 2 of this antibiotic for a severe sinus infection. On my first dose of the 2 pills, my stomach started becoming upset, it was bloating and overall bad feeling in my gut. Day 2 (which is where I am at now), and I do feel much better concerning my sinus issues but my stomach still hurts and I am bloated. I have been taking this antibiotic for years and have not experienced this before with my stomach. I had something to eat right after taking both doses. But I will say that the sinus pain and pressure in my face and eyes is gone!! Which is a big deal to me. I'll just have to deal with the stomach pains... they aren't severe. I am wondering if somehow they have changed the make up of this antibiotic since I haven't had these issue"

Sharonrc69 June 13, 2017

"This drug heaedl my acute sinus infection after a week. I believe it is stronger than Co Amoxiclav."

Hamid121 (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2017

"This used to work for me about 5-10 years ago. I would get sick twice a year with a sinus infection and then take a Z pack. All better!! About 4 years ago the Z Pack stopped working yet my stupid doctors KEEP prescribing the Z Pack. I am good from day 3-day 12, then the infection comes right back."

timmytwos (taken for 10 years or more) May 10, 2017

Zithromax (azithromycin): "I am on day 3 of this I felt like death on day one could barely stand up clogged up extremely sore throat ... day 2 still clogged up but not as much and throat starting to feel better I'm surprised! Say 3 today still some mucus this morning dnd a bit of sore throat but way way better then day 1!"

Emy888816ga April 26, 2017

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "This drug worked after 5 days on my sinus infection. On the 6 day I experienced vomiting, dizziness, stomach craps, constipation, black stool, hypertension, fast beating of the heart, low energy, hives on my face, headaches, swollen eye lids, dark circles under my eyes. Day 11 after taking the last dose, still experiencing fast heart beat, swelling in my feet, hives on my face. Low energy."

Tracij (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2017

"I got sick and I went to my doctor because I had an 102 fever. My doctor said I should take this medicine so I did. I'm on my third day and I woke up with no fever, my face was not sore anymore but I still had a cough and a runny nose. Two days left of this medicine and I think it will clear everything up. Unfortunately, I had diarrhea yesterday but now it's back to being loose like it was on day 1. thank god!!! I hate diarrhea :("

oliviameli April 6, 2017

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "It has NEVER worked for a sinus infection. I just finished 2 of the 5 day dose packs and 3 days later has a fever of 102 with a massive infection still raging."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

"I've been sick with a fever for about two weeks & pregnant. I'm about halfway through this pregnancy. Long story short, after a Sat. spent in urgent care (they did nothing) I was sent to ER and diagnosed with a secondary infection (basically bronchitis on its way to pneumonia). At urgent care (before the ER) I complained about ear pain and pressure too, but urgent care is good for nothing. Anyway, they sent my report to the ER & ER gave me azithromycin & a breathing treatment bc I was wheezing. 1 pill left of my z pack. My chest is great and pretty much cleared up, but my sinuses are worse. On the right side of my face I have jaw pain, clogged ear, ear pain, stuffy nose, headache & fever. Going back to doc as z-pack isn't working 4 sinuses"

Flu & 2nd infections preggo (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2017

"Only on day two but that first dose will scare you. I'm going to see it through..takes time for antibiotics to even work. Taking all of your medicine is important but knowing your bodies limits is just as important. This medicine is currently kicking my butt be cautious those side effects are really rough."

Sara all day March 2, 2017

"Sinus pressure and infection, got Zpack for the first time ever. One week later and my sinuses are still clogged, headache lasted 5 days and feels like it will reoccur. Diarrhea every day. Tried every single homeopathic way to beat this feeling. Still can't sleep well and nose runs. This sucks."

Elclw February 14, 2017

Zithromax (azithromycin): "I was prescribed a five day round with the Z-pak after developing a severe flu-like upper respiratory infection with stuffed and painful sinuses plus aches, sore throat, diarrhea, muscle pain, nausea, and more. I had a Rituxan infusion, and all of this started the next day (common side effects or adverse events). I have rheumatoid arthritis, and my immunosystem is screwed to begin with and the Rituxan infusions temporarily make it worse. So I picked up a bug; bam! Long story, short ending. The Z-pak began working almost immediately, and two hours after my second pill of 250 mg (first was 500) I don't feel sick. My sinuses are still a bit clogged but that's livable. I'm impressed."

Jmnknight January 20, 2017

"I honestly feel 85% better after 2 doses for upper respiratory infection. Great med! Fyi my first antibiotic in years"

Matt from Delco January 13, 2017

"I get a very bad sinus infection every year. This year as soon I as I felt in coming on (day 4) thats early for me, I went to an urgent care. Doctor confirmed it was a sinus infection and have me the Z Pack. First day is 2 pills with 1 pill for next 4 days. After 12 hours of taking first 2 pills I felt so much better. I will continue to take the remaining pills and from now on I will get to a doctor early on and request Z Pack. I highly recommend it."

Kimmie2Ers January 1, 2017

"Horrible medication!!!! After taking a third pill I started to have an excrutiating pain in my ear and within several hours I lost partially my hearing in both ears. I have looked up the side effects in the enclosed flyer and also online and there is a FDA warning that this antibiotics is linked to a hearing loss! I almost had a heart attack reading it. I have informed my Dr. but they say they never heard of anything like that (of course). I didn't finished taking the prescribed dose. My hearing has improved a little bit but it has been more that 2 weeks and I still can't hear well. My ears are ringing and clicking and I am so scared that this might be permanent. Has this happened to anybody else?"

MartinaSG December 29, 2016

Zithromax (azithromycin): "I'm 35 and have had sinus infections as long as I can remember. Prior to my allergy shots I was getting them 3-4x a year. Z-PAC is my favorite and it cures it quickly. Once in a blue Moon I'll need another round though. But lately my doctors have said the bacteria has been resistant to it and I've used another medication and though it works it takes so much longer. I'm happy to say that I'm Told The bacteria this year isn't supposed to be as resistant to it. For all the ladies, you may want to ask for yeast infection meds before you leave the doctors office. For me It never fails."

Hezbutt December 28, 2016

"Relief in 12 hours from my painful sinus infection... will of course continue the regimen, I did also use a Neti pot and advil. I am amazed at the results. I had my first decent night's sleep in a week."

Shortloinsirloin December 21, 2016

"I have chronic sinusitis, so I usually treat it with nasal/sinus rinses (saline) and good basic hygiene. But occasionally it gets bad and stays bad for 7 or more days, in which case a run of antibiotics always helps. I use the one-pill-a-day-for-three-days Azithromycin, as it always works and is most convenient. No side effects, and I usually start feeling better after the second day. I try to avoid doing this too often, as I'm aware of bacterial resistance issues. I've learned over the years to know the difference between allergies, colds and bacterial infection, so I don't overuse or abuse the antibiotic. I've never had the diarrhea or stomach cramping described by some."

No Nickname December 14, 2016

"Went to dr 3:30 pm Wednesday took first dose which was 2 pills 250 mg Azithromycin plus a 6 day pack of prednisone, I had severe pain in both sides of neck and coughing from serious sinus drainage. Dr said is it was Rhino Sinusitis took first that night seem to be a little better but the next day I could not tell if it was worse or better by that night Thursday I felt more energy but throat was raw. Lots of water and ice. Then around 6 I could feel my throat getting better. By 8 pm I started sneezing and my nose running like a tap all stopped by 10 pm CRAZY. Went to bed woke up much better Friday morning but still a small sore throat I can deal with. Not bad stuff will try it again."

BLaurieB November 18, 2016