User Reviews for Azithromycin

Also known as: Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak, Zithromax, Zmax

Learn more about Azithromycin.

Azithromycin Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 242 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Sinusitis

"This used to work for me about 5-10 years ago. I would get sick twice a year with a sinus infection and then take a Z pack. All better!! About 4 years ago the Z Pack stopped working yet my stupid doctors KEEP prescribing the Z Pack. I am good from day 3-day 12, then the infection comes right back."

timmytwos (taken for 10 years or more) May 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zithromax (azithromycin): "I am on day 3 of this I felt like death on day one could barely stand up clogged up extremely sore throat ... day 2 still clogged up but not as much and throat starting to feel better I'm surprised! Say 3 today still some mucus this morning dnd a bit of sore throat but way way better then day 1!"

Emy888816ga April 26, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "This drug worked after 5 days on my sinus infection. On the 6 day I experienced vomiting, dizziness, stomach craps, constipation, black stool, hypertension, fast beating of the heart, low energy, hives on my face, headaches, swollen eye lids, dark circles under my eyes. Day 11 after taking the last dose, still experiencing fast heart beat, swelling in my feet, hives on my face. Low energy."

Tracij (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got sick and I went to my doctor because I had an 102 fever. My doctor said I should take this medicine so I did. I'm on my third day and I woke up with no fever, my face was not sore anymore but I still had a cough and a runny nose. Two days left of this medicine and I think it will clear everything up. Unfortunately, I had diarrhea yesterday but now it's back to being loose like it was on day 1. thank god!!! I hate diarrhea :("

oliviameli April 6, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "It has NEVER worked for a sinus infection. I just finished 2 of the 5 day dose packs and 3 days later has a fever of 102 with a massive infection still raging."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been sick with a fever for about two weeks & pregnant. I'm about halfway through this pregnancy. Long story short, after a Sat. spent in urgent care (they did nothing) I was sent to ER and diagnosed with a secondary infection (basically bronchitis on its way to pneumonia). At urgent care (before the ER) I complained about ear pain and pressure too, but urgent care is good for nothing. Anyway, they sent my report to the ER & ER gave me azithromycin & a breathing treatment bc I was wheezing. 1 pill left of my z pack. My chest is great and pretty much cleared up, but my sinuses are worse. On the right side of my face I have jaw pain, clogged ear, ear pain, stuffy nose, headache & fever. Going back to doc as z-pack isn't working 4 sinuses"

Flu & 2nd infections preggo (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Only on day two but that first dose will scare you. I'm going to see it through..takes time for antibiotics to even work. Taking all of your medicine is important but knowing your bodies limits is just as important. This medicine is currently kicking my butt be cautious those side effects are really rough."

Sara all day March 2, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Sinus pressure and infection, got Zpack for the first time ever. One week later and my sinuses are still clogged, headache lasted 5 days and feels like it will reoccur. Diarrhea every day. Tried every single homeopathic way to beat this feeling. Still can't sleep well and nose runs. This sucks."

Elclw February 14, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zithromax (azithromycin): "I was prescribed a five day round with the Z-pak after developing a severe flu-like upper respiratory infection with stuffed and painful sinuses plus aches, sore throat, diarrhea, muscle pain, nausea, and more. I had a Rituxan infusion, and all of this started the next day (common side effects or adverse events). I have rheumatoid arthritis, and my immunosystem is screwed to begin with and the Rituxan infusions temporarily make it worse. So I picked up a bug; bam! Long story, short ending. The Z-pak began working almost immediately, and two hours after my second pill of 250 mg (first was 500) I don't feel sick. My sinuses are still a bit clogged but that's livable. I'm impressed."

Jmnknight January 20, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I honestly feel 85% better after 2 doses for upper respiratory infection. Great med! Fyi my first antibiotic in years"

Matt from Delco January 13, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I get a very bad sinus infection every year. This year as soon I as I felt in coming on (day 4) thats early for me, I went to an urgent care. Doctor confirmed it was a sinus infection and have me the Z Pack. First day is 2 pills with 1 pill for next 4 days. After 12 hours of taking first 2 pills I felt so much better. I will continue to take the remaining pills and from now on I will get to a doctor early on and request Z Pack. I highly recommend it."

Kimmie2Ers January 1, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Horrible medication!!!! After taking a third pill I started to have an excrutiating pain in my ear and within several hours I lost partially my hearing in both ears. I have looked up the side effects in the enclosed flyer and also online and there is a FDA warning that this antibiotics is linked to a hearing loss! I almost had a heart attack reading it. I have informed my Dr. but they say they never heard of anything like that (of course). I didn't finished taking the prescribed dose. My hearing has improved a little bit but it has been more that 2 weeks and I still can't hear well. My ears are ringing and clicking and I am so scared that this might be permanent. Has this happened to anybody else?"

MartinaSG December 29, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zithromax (azithromycin): "I'm 35 and have had sinus infections as long as I can remember. Prior to my allergy shots I was getting them 3-4x a year. Z-PAC is my favorite and it cures it quickly. Once in a blue Moon I'll need another round though. But lately my doctors have said the bacteria has been resistant to it and I've used another medication and though it works it takes so much longer. I'm happy to say that I'm Told The bacteria this year isn't supposed to be as resistant to it. For all the ladies, you may want to ask for yeast infection meds before you leave the doctors office. For me It never fails."

Hezbutt December 28, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Relief in 12 hours from my painful sinus infection... will of course continue the regimen, I did also use a Neti pot and advil. I am amazed at the results. I had my first decent night's sleep in a week."

Shortloinsirloin December 21, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have chronic sinusitis, so I usually treat it with nasal/sinus rinses (saline) and good basic hygiene. But occasionally it gets bad and stays bad for 7 or more days, in which case a run of antibiotics always helps. I use the one-pill-a-day-for-three-days Azithromycin, as it always works and is most convenient. No side effects, and I usually start feeling better after the second day. I try to avoid doing this too often, as I'm aware of bacterial resistance issues. I've learned over the years to know the difference between allergies, colds and bacterial infection, so I don't overuse or abuse the antibiotic. I've never had the diarrhea or stomach cramping described by some."

No Nickname December 14, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Went to dr 3:30 pm Wednesday took first dose which was 2 pills 250 mg Azithromycin plus a 6 day pack of prednisone, I had severe pain in both sides of neck and coughing from serious sinus drainage. Dr said is it was Rhino Sinusitis took first that night seem to be a little better but the next day I could not tell if it was worse or better by that night Thursday I felt more energy but throat was raw. Lots of water and ice. Then around 6 I could feel my throat getting better. By 8 pm I started sneezing and my nose running like a tap all stopped by 10 pm CRAZY. Went to bed woke up much better Friday morning but still a small sore throat I can deal with. Not bad stuff will try it again."

BLaurieB November 18, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm sensitive to most medications and I've had severe reactions to many antibiotics as well. Surprisingly, I continue to be able to tolerate azithromycin (Z Pack). It's been effective for my sinusitis and I'll continue to request it, until it no longer works (side-effects are mild). I do notice that physicians will almost always prescribe Augmentin as a first-line antibiotic for sinusitis, because it's effective against most strains of bacteria. It's a much more powerful drug, with the potential of more severe side-effects as well. I'll reserve the big guns only when absolutely necessary. Good luck in your recovery."

AnneJill (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm only rating it a 3 so far as I'm on day 2. I went to urgent care pregnant with a chronic cough. I usually get sinus infections but since I'm pregnant they couldn't X-ray me. Day 1 within a half hour I felt sharp stomach pains and my stomach was rumbling. It ended up being diarrhea. I slept just fine at night. I woke up with my cough again. I think my cough improved a little bit on day 2 but I am still coughing a lot. I experienced sharp pains in my stomach and through my vagina. I'm hoping for more progress with this Medicine. As is, I was very hesitant to take it since I'm pregnant but if there is an induction I wanted to not pass it along to the baby."

Sick and pregnant August 1, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given the zpak 5day pack, Day 1 took two pills, 2 hours later i coyld not move due to SEVERE upper stomach pain that felt as if it would kill me, the pain was so bad it I couldn't even breathe because it felt like my stomach was getting ripped out from the inside. If you dont have heart problems already you will after taking this medication from all the clenching and being heeled over. I did not experience diarrhea after taking the day 1 dose. I could not fall asleep. Im suppose to take day 2 dose but I'm very weary of taking it after yesterdays episode I was in bed from 8 a.m to 2 a.m dont know if taking only one pill today would be different from the 2 pill dose."

sessa (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had to stop taking because of SEVERE stomach pain and cramping. I would double over in pain and could't find relief doing anything, just had to suffer through it. Took me about 3 to 4 weeks to get back to normal. DO NOT recommend :("

rbh11 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had to stop this drug early because it gave me such bad stomach pain. I'm allergic to Penicillin, so this was the next choice for my sinus/ear infection. Even tried with a full meal and probiotics, but it took my stomach a full month to return to normal after stopping azithromycin, will not be taking again."

Bre01 April 29, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed the 500mg pill 1x a day for 3 days (for my sinus infection). I took pill #1 at 2pm with my lunch. By 5pm, my stomach started to gurgle and groan. By 6pm, the diarrhea started. It was awful! I say it's a nightmare second only to the colonoscopy prep kit I had six months ago! I must've been on the toilet 6x in an hour and a half. I was cold, shivering, nauseated, and exhausted. I'm absolutely not continuing this treatment. :("

CTsufferer April 6, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I went to see doctor finally after 100+ days of sinusitis...just thought it was a persistent cold. No bad side effects, at all, but not as effective as I had hoped. First day (2 doses) I felt improvement after 4 hours. Day 2 unfortunately, all symptoms worsened (congestion, headache, ear pressure, postnasal drip, coughing). Day 3, symptoms became worse still. Day 4 was nearly unbearble with the worst headache I have had in my 66 years. Ears felt as if filled with fluid. Not able to sleep at all at night, even with head in elevated position. Today is Day 5, and I've taken the final dose. There is some improvement today, and the package asserts that the antibiotic will keep working for Days 6-10, even though no more doses will be taken."

marymorstan (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The first day it caused me very bad nausea. However I think it's because I had to take 2 pills on the first day per the instructions. On the 2nd day I had a bit of diarrhea but the nausea went away. I learned that I had to eat a lot to get my stomach full in order not to feel the nausea. Overall, this medicine worked in clearing up my sinus infection. I feel that on the 3rd day the medicine did its job and I started showing much improvement. (My fever had gone away after the first dose of medicine.)"

SVT Mommy (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm on day 4 of Zpack. Started out on Doxycycline. Took it for 2 days and had horrible side effects. Replaced with 5 day Zpack. I have had some stomach pain. It starts about 2 hours after I take it and lasts for about 2 hours. I started taking Culturelle prior to the Zpack. I think that has helped keep some of the tummy troubles at bay. I feel a lot better. I've been sick with sinus infection for 22 days. The only issue I am having now is pain and tenderness in the bridge of my nose. I have 1 more day on Zpack. Not sure if it's going to help my nose."

HeyItsTiff February 10, 2016