User Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Chlamydia Infection

Also known as: Zithromax, Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak

Azithromycin has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 535 ratings for the treatment of Chlamydia Infection. 61% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 10% reported a negative effect.

Azithromycin Rating Summary

7.5/10 average rating

Compare all 59 medications used in the treatment of Chlamydia Infection.

Reviews for Azithromycin

Sweettea1229 · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2021

“If your reading this then your probably terrified just like I was when I got this medicine. I've had it for a week before I finally decided to take it. I had worked myself up over this medicine so bad I was barely eating anything. So yesterday I finally decided to take it. I had a small meal at dinner time then waited a couple hours and ate 4 pieces of bread then took the two 500mg pills and absolutely nothing happened. I'm so upset at myself for waiting this long. So if you have severe anxiety plus have a phobia of getting sick DON'T BE SCARED. IF I CAN DO IT ANYONE CAN. You got this!”

A · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2020

“I was SO scared reading these reviews, but surprisingly I had little to no side effects. I made sure to eat a carb filled meal about 30 min before taking the 1000mg dose. No stomach ache really, no fever either. Did have mild diarrhea about 5 hours later. Don’t stress too hard about it! Stress makes everything worse! Just take it and lie down, you’ll be okay! If I can do it so can you!”

JDot · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2020

“Took this in the powder form, only a one-time dosage, to fight Chlamydia. I am really glad I had taken the powder form, because it was super easy to take and to digest. My stomach did make some funky noises within the first couple of hours, as well as feeling sick, but I never had to vomit, and I never got any headaches. I did feel weird and smellier than usual during the first 2-3 days, but by day 5, I felt like myself again! I also had BV alongside the STI, and I noticed this cleared up my BV as well. The odors I had were completely gone, no more runny discharge, I felt energized again, no more abnormalities by day 6. This was a great antibiotic, and I am so glad it exists because it was quick and effective. I have definitely learned my lesson, practice safe sex & good hygiene! :)”

Lulu · Taken for less than 1 month January 1, 2021

“Tbh. I was TERRIFIED to take azithromycin again as it made me nauseous and on the verge of vomiting last time. But this time I was prescribed the Four 250mg pills (1000mg) at once. I ate 2 grilled cheese sandwiches about an hour before I took them and just kinda waited to see how it’d affect me this time. And after hour I felt completely FINE. NOTHING. NADA. ZIP. About 2 hours later I was just really hungry and then I went to bed. It effects everyone differently and I’m glad this time there was no problems. It truly is a nightmare when u feel it is making you feel so sick. Just relax. Eat some crackers, bread and sip on some water. You’ll finally tackle this once and for all. And always remember safe sex from NOW ON ❤️”

catlover1215 July 31, 2014

“If you're reading this right now, it's probably because you're worried about whether this antibiotic will work for you or not. I was diagnosed with chlamydia about a month ago and was in tears day in and day out because I was so worried that the chlamydia might have spread, considering I had no idea my cheating ex had given it to me a year prior. (Pathetic, I know) Well anyways, I was prescribed 4 pills, I took 2 pills at the same time for 2 days consecutively (1g or 1000mg in total to be exact) I had no side effects. The burning sensation while I urinated went away in two days. This antibiotic honestly was heaven sent. P.S, I went to the doctor today for my Test of Cure and I am completely infection free! USE THIS!”

Buttercup · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2020

“I was absolutely terrified to take this medicine after reading the reviews & to anyone that is afraid TAKE THESE REVIEWS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT. I was prescribed two 500mg Azithromycin & I took them after a big breakfast. Called out of work and took them around 12ish. I ate Pancakes Eggs and Bacon & yogurt. I’ve also been eating yogurt for the past few days. Probiotics apparently helps when taking antibiotics. Now it’s 3 hours later. No symptoms. No headache, no nausea NOTHING. I’m just peeing a lot because I drank lots of water. Do not be afraid, if effects everyone differently. ❤️”

Nickname · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2020

“I have had Chlamydia 6 times. I believe it was the same infection that just couldn’t get treated fully and kept coming back. So, I tried azithromycin 500mg and that seemed to work the first time, but eventually it came back and I tried Doxyxycline, which also seemed to work, but it inevitably came back again. I did this alternation of antibiotics each time. It always came back. I finally was advised by a doctor in South Korea to take BOTH azithromicin 500mg and a week course of Doxycycline at the same time. This cured me, and it has been 5.5 months without any complications.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 6, 2020

“Took two azithromycin 500mg pills after a bigger meal so I was full - as my pharmacist instructed and I was fine only thing is I did have some pretty bad diarrhea but only made 2 trips to the bathroom.”

anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2020

“Do NOT be scared to take this medicine. I was reading these reviews for over a week tearing myself up over taking this and I am someone who is deathly afraid of taking new medications. And what happened when I took the azithromycin? Nothing. Nothing happened. Not one side effect. Take it with food. It does not matter what food you take it with I took it an hour after I had junk food. And take it before you go to sleep and don’t overthink it. It is like you took an ibuprofen. Now I just have to hope it gets rid of the infection.”

Kay March 3, 2020

“Yep. Got the positive and took the prescription as soon as I could after getting it from the pharmacy. I ate a little before but ate my lunch after taking it. Exactly 2 hours later everything hit me like a wall. Stomach cramps, dizziness, nausea, and the dreadful stomach bubbles. Currently in bed waiting for it all to subside. Hopefully this will work.”

Sky · Taken for less than 1 month January 17, 2020

“Worst experience ever. Do not take it before bed if you want to sleep. Took 2x500mg azithromycin pills at 9pm. At 11pm had worst cramps, nausea, dizziness, dry mouth and diarrhea 3 times. Managed to fall asleep at 1am. Suffering was horrible. Please use condoms and don't trust any guy that says he was tested. What everyone says is true and worse.”

always use protection! · Taken for less than 1 month February 1, 2020

“hi, i recently got out of a relationship. It was a hard and painful breakup to endure. I started using sex as a coping mechanism and it wasn’t long before I caught the chlamydia. I compared my symptoms to a UTI. Please always use protection. I'm glad it was only chlamydia. It could’ve been worse. I took two azithromycin pills at the same time after dinner one night. I felt incredibly nauseous, sick, and irritable an hour or two later but that just means it’s working on the infection. But, it’ll still have the symptoms until it’s been a full 7 days then it should clear up. But, make sure you drink lots of water to get that infection out of your system!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2020

“worsttttttt medicine you could ever take! I took 2 azithromycin and in 1 single dose when I first woke up because I had just found out about it and I went straight to the pharmacy that morning because I wanted it out of my system ASAP! 15 mins later in the shower I’m moaning in the worst pain I’ve ever been in. That pain topped period cramps, they were awful! I screamed for 45 mins in pain. But it works. Never again though.”

Ek90 January 10, 2015

“Took x2 500mg tablets a few hours ago. Chronic stomach and lower back pain. Very nauseous trying my very hardest not to throw up. Make sure you eat before this medication. It is very strong and temporarily weakens you. Fingers crossed it works. ”

Just a Friend · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2021

“OK so I have horrible anxiety and after reading these reviews I WAS TERRIFIED . I waited 3 days to take my azithromycin pills then last night I finally took them while shaking . I was given four 250mg tablets so I took 2 with some water and took the other 2 a hour later (I didn't feel comfortable taking all 4 at once) the first 2 gave me mild cramps and stomach bubbles , then when I took the last 2 I was going to sleep (because I was still terrified). I also took a 800 mg ibuprofen after reading about the stomach pains so that maybe help. But for the most part I only experienced mild cramps, gassy and I did have sweats for a good 5 mins. Woke up and I just felt like my stomach was empty . So again don't let these reviews scare you. Take before bed and it'll be much better. Stay safe .”

Paige · Taken for less than 1 month September 17, 2019

“Well, this has definitely changed my mind about the use of condoms :| First time I’ve been diagnosed with chlamydia and was given two 500mg tablets, I took them about an hour ago (had eaten lunch 30 mins prior) and I have the most unbearable stomach pains, chills/ fever and my face is going bright red/ heating up. Feeling extremely tired and extremely nauseous but stomach feels worse every time I lay down so the only thing I’m able to do is sit there while taking deep breaths and not moving. :(”

Redfog · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2017

“Free treatment in australia, two 500mg pills and I'm done. Blasting out my arse for a couple of hours but damn I'd have to say its a pretty sweet deal, free treatment and a couple hours of pooping and I'm cured! Guys its a cure for the clap, lets get some perspective and stop complaining.”

User1234 · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2019

“I found out I had Chlamydia after I was sexually assaulted, first thing I did was read these reviews, I SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE THAT!!! I have a phobia of being ill, even the slightest headache or tummy ache and I'm having panic attacks! Anyway, I was prescribed four 250mg tablets, and was told to take them all at once, so I ate some toast and had a cup of tea just to line my stomach at around 10am, felt sick just taking them due to the reviews, took all four tablets around 10:30am and waited for the inevitable, but never the less, two days later and I had NO SYMPTOMS, very very slight nausea about half an hour after taking them but wouldn't even call it nausea, just the feeling as if you've eaten a bit too much! Nausea from anxiety is way worse than what I experienced with these tablets, don't scare yourself with the reviews, some of the people on here just had very unfortunate reactions! But it's not the same for everybody”

wishigotastimuluscheck · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2021

“I have severe anxiety from my emetophobia (fear of vomiting) and was super scared reading the reviews because I was scared to throw up :/ so I went crazy on the preventative care. I had ondansetron on stand by, and was popping pepto like it was candy. Also took the medicine after eating a pb&j. I took all 4 pills and was shaking like crazy for a couple hours after due to pure fear, but I was fine! I took it on the 31st December, and I've just felt like, gassy? But I wasn't farting or anything. I had one soft poop and my sound has made noise, but for the most part I just felt kinda heavy like I had a lot of gas in me, but I'm fine! I survived lol I'm praying it cured me. If it didn't (knock on wood I really am not trynna jinx myself here) at least I know what to expect the next time!”

Gogo October 24, 2020

“My boyfriend slept with so many girls before we start dating and so when we started our relationship we also got active in sex without using protection I was only on birth control. Then I was seeing the doctor because I always had painful sex which came out to be vaginismus and when the doctor took me a test they also found out that I had chlamydia. I felt ashamed of myself and I had to tell my boyfriend that he needs to get checked up. My doctor sent me 2 tablets of chlamydia 500mg to take at once. I took it before eating and then I ate a lot and drunk plenty of water. That was yesterday and I have not had any side effects so far. I was even able to travel from OH to KY. So far so good. I think our bodies respond differently to the medication....PLZ PRACTICE SAFE SEX.”

P · Taken for less than 1 month February 1, 2020

“I got prescribed 500 mg, 2 pills to be taken at once. I am awful at taking pills so I tried to crush it into applesauce. DO NOT DO THAT. Made the whole thing taste awful and had to get another prescription for it. Took it today all together and within an hour I was on the toilet with the worst diarrhea I’ve had in over 10 years. It hit so quick. Hopefully it knocks the infection out for good but definitely stay near a bathroom for at least the first 2 hours”

Rachel-we were on a break · Taken for less than 1 month October 7, 2015

“First time ever having an STI, short story short thought me and the guy where exclusive ahh how wrong was I! Anyways I went to my GP today after he told me he tested positive, took Azithromycin two tablets at once at about 5 o'clock and an hour later my stomach made me feel like I'm gunna hurl but I'm trying my best to not throw up because I am not going through this again.. 7/10 for me at the end of the day it gets rid of this horrible bacteria living in my vaj, just take it while you're at home because I feel like the devil is trying to dance in my stomach. Good luck guys, I'm gunna go lie down and abstain from sex til I'm 30.”

Happy987654321 July 8, 2016

“Took two 500mg (1,000 total) in one dose. A little stomach pain but was able to sleep it off. No other side effects. The key to taking this antibiotic is to EAT EAT EAT. Eat something before and eat something after. And drink an entire bottle of water and then some. You'll be fine! Most people only share negative reviews but my experience with the antibiotic was just fine. And I have the worst anxiety. Just eat and drink water, and you'll be FINE.”

Big Black August 29, 2018

Zithromax (azithromycin): “Found out I got the Clap from this girl at a festival three weeks ago. Got tested and turns out my irritation was chlamydia. Took my dose of Zithromax and called up the ladies I had sexual relations with since. They all had it, super clap. Now I gotta buy them all flowers and get them zithromax. Meds worked but I had severe watery poos. I'm back to action now but I'll be more careful in the future!”

KT777 March 1, 2014

“I was prescribed 1g of azithromycin in 2 500mg pills. My doctor allowed me to take them an hour apart as to try to avoid some stomach upset. I took them at 8pm with dinner, and was fine till about midnight. I got pretty bad stomach cramps and diarrhea consistently throughout the night. By the next morning though everything had subsided and I was fine. Ate normally, felt no side effects. I began feeling better after a day and was negative upon re-test. Medicines work good, you just have to put up with a few unpleasant side effects sometimes.”

Learn more about Chlamydia Infection