User Reviews for Azithromycin

Also known as: Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak, Zithromax, Zmax

Azithromycin Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 51 medications used in the treatment of Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis.

Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis

"I had what was assumed to be tonsillitis (no actual test was done). First day I just had a minor sore throat, second day was a little worse, thought I was just getting a cold. Third day was a little worse still, and I started getting white spots on my tonsils. Doctor gave me 5 days of azithromycin which I started immediately. The spots on my tonsils got worse even with the meds, however on day 4 of the medication I began to see improvements. And at that point each day got better. Because the meds continue working for days 6-10, I was not worried. It works but it might take time - if you don't see progress after the 5 days prescribed, talk to your doctor."

DC (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2018

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "Woke up with that tingle I get right as Strep starts to set in. 12 hours later I'm in considerable pain. Went to Urgent Care for a strep test. It was positive. I asked the PA for the Z-pak because I needed something I didn't have to take 4 times a day and would work quickly. The Pharmacy filled my prescription around 10:45pm. Took the first dose as soon as I got in my truck. It is only 3.5 hours into the first dose and my throat is almost normal. My stomach feels a little funny but I will take that over strep pain any day."

Eureka D January 6, 2018

Zithromax (azithromycin): "This is the only antibiotic that ever works for me. Whenever I have a cold and the Dr claims it is viral, it always goes to my tonsils. This time I waited 7 days suffering fever and a throat so sore I could not swallow, and eventually went to the pharmacist and asked for Zithromax z pak. Within 1 day I was 80 percent healed. No side effects. It works for me everyntime. By day 2, all sinus congestion had gone and I got my first real sleep in two weeks."

Matthm December 3, 2017

"I was diagnosed with strep in the ER and they sent me home with azithromycin. I took the first dose before bed and was fine until I woke up with extremely itchy feet. Just thought I had walked in something. Took it again the next day and my feet got worse overnight. Couldn't sleep from the itching. Severe swelling and a rash. It moved to my hands too. Went to the Dr immediately and they said to stop taking the meds. Allergic reaction apparently? It seemed to help my strep though!"

ElizabethLS November 23, 2017

"Hi my name is Annabelle. I went to the ER on October 19th because of my throat been hurting for about two weeks before I went, the doctor said that he thought I had strep throat that test came back negative but there was a few white spots on the back of my tongue so they gave me two shots you know where and said that it will clear it up well I still haven't felt better so a month later I went to Urgent Care and he told me that he didn't think it was strep throat that it's pharyngitis so he put me on a z-pack the 5 days for 500mg and I'm on the 4th day now and my throat feels worse and it has white spots on the back and on my tonsils and I feel worse is this normal?"

annabelle_shy83 November 18, 2017

"The first day taking the medication I experienced extreme stomach pain and loose stools. I ate dinner about an hour before and still experienced the side effects. The second day taking the medication I am still experiencing the extreme stomach pain accompanied with loose stools and back pain. I took this pill on a full stomach. On the bright side my tonsils are less inflamed."

Diane W November 16, 2017

"I was prescribed a 3 day, 500mg dosage. It got 5x worse within the first two days which had me scared for day 3. My throat was so swollen that I haven't eaten since Friday. Today is Monday. I have made absolutely no progress. I am 20 years old, 6'4, 220lbs and very fit. I usually eat 5,000 calories a day in order to stay full because I am very active. Nothing has been worse than the pain from this strep throat, and this medicine hasn't helped at all."

Jake000 October 16, 2017

"I'm on my 3rd day of this medication for strep throat and take it on a full stomach every day. I haven't had any stomach pain or diarrhea which I usually get with antibiotics, and no weird metallic taste in my mouth either. Only downside is it takes a bit longer to work than most antibiotics, so my throat was killing me until halfway through the day after taking the third pill. Aside from that, no side effects and I'm feeling much better now! My tonsil is still a little swollen but most of the pus is gone and no more pain."

SpecialKk August 3, 2017

"It's my first day taking the first two pink pills. It took away my ear infection but my throat still hurts when I swallow and about 2 hours after taking the pills I had watery diarrhea"

Aaron Spalding April 20, 2017

"I am very allergic to a multitude of antibiotics....I have suffered with strep/tonsillitis since I was a child...every spring, every fall. The ONLY thing that works for me is the 5 day Z-pack. As others have said, please eat something first. I have been prescribed some meds that I haven't taken b/c of the listed side effects....this however has been the only thing to work for me. In fact, I am on my way in a bit to see the Dr because without fail, the white spots, fever, chills have come on this spring too!! Good luck to all."

Condor27 April 12, 2017

"I was diagnosed with strep throat a few days ago and was prescribed zpak because of a penicillin allergy. I took two pills on the first day, and felt better within 24 hours. The only downside to this medicine is when I took the first dose (2 pills, 500mg total) I had HORRIBLE sharp pains from what was gas followed by diarrhea within 2 hours. The next day I took one pill, and had no side effects. I am on my third day and had pains, similar to harsh period cramps and then diarrhea also within two hours. I find it helpful to eat greek yogurt before taking this medicine! It helps ease the pain and I did not have loose stools on the days I ate the yogurt. Overall this medicine is great because it works extremely fast"

lili12331 April 7, 2017

"The secret of taking any antibiotics is full-stomach. Meaning, you should eat a full meal even you don't have an appetite. A bowl of rice, soup, pooridge, noodles, banana, oatmeal, peanut butter sandwich with honey, or anything you can eat. Full stomach before you take the medicine (in fact any kind of medicine even vitamins) is a key to not feel all the side effects. Also, if you feel too much side effects (nausea, vomiting, dizziness), you may be allergic to one content of the medicine you are taking. You should check on it! Like, I usually get Augmentin for my tonsils and ear infection but I constantly getting the same side effects when I take it then I found out I was allergic to pennicilin content."

Tappingfeet (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2017

""I'm on my fourth day of this medicine for strep throat and my throat is in unbearable pain still. It really has not done anything for me. Horrible and would not recommend using."Not good medicine"

Khanmark January 8, 2017

"Used a three day pack .pretty useful.i have my tonsilities treated"

Anonymous December 25, 2016

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "Its not working at all I'm still in pain"

Hope0929 November 10, 2016

"I was diagnosed with severe ear infection from tonsilitis. Took two pills and then thought i was gonna die from the side effects plus it didnt seem to be helping me. I went back to the doctor who told me to continue on the 5day pack and ensure i took the pills on a very full stomach. i did just that and now i have completed my 5day pack with no more side effects. Not sure of its effectiveness still have the ear infection that got worse with hearing almost to nil in my left ear."

smurfette1 October 31, 2016

"Horrible! ! ! The stomach pain is like going into labor. But it WORKED ."

Lisa267272 July 17, 2016

"All medications have risk for side effects some people get them and some don't. As well as some medications work for others and some don't. We are given medication that is recommended base in research. If first line therapy does not work then they go to what is recommended next."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2016

"I was diagnosed with strep & prescribed Amoxicillin 2x/day for 10 days. I thought it worked at first, then 3 days later it came back with a vengeance. So, I was then prescribed the Z-pack (2/day 1 then 1/day for 4 days) I have 1 more pill to take till I'm finished. But, I'm not sure it is working either. The sore throat is gone but I have a relentless cough & a ton of chest congestion. I have had mild side effects...nausea, tender stomach, not a big appetite. Still feeling really foggy & weak. I do recommend drinking either Boost or Ensure nutritional drinks while on antibiotics & taking a probiotic."

Krickspears April 29, 2016

"I was prescribed this medicine after they ran out of options as to what it could be. I only took 2 of the five pills prescribed to me. Yes I know that's bad but my throat and other symptoms cleared up and I couldn't handle the stomach problems this caused me. Terrible diarrhea and cramps, constant nausea."

CH3132016 (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2016

"I just want to say to people out there that are scared to take antibiotics (like myself) do not look up these silly reviews it will only scare you more from taking them. I had to deal with strep for a month before I could actually take my antibiotic because people on here made it seem like it was the worst drug they've ever had. So far I've had no side effects. And it's working great. My suggestion is don't try and research what other people have said about it. Try it for yourself."

Ashryan07 March 24, 2016

"I thought I caught it early. So they prescribed a z pack. day 2 the white spots spread to other tonsil. day 3 stiffness in neck and still pain with swallowing. day 4 right side skin swollen in mouth to were I could not see my tonsil. Went to urgent care and they prescribed me a different antibiotic."

autogrl (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2016

"Went to the doctor for fever, severe dizziness, and some sinus drainage and sore throat. My flu swab came back negative, so she labeled it as acute pharyngitis, prescribed 5 day Z pak. Less than 2 hours after my first dose, I had horrible, painful diarrhea. I also began to experience severe stomach pain even though I made sure to take it with plenty of food. My symptoms did not improve, and I began having headaches as well. It is now the day after my final dose, and my sore throat is back, my fever is still high, head hurts, and I'm dizzy as ever though my stomach is finally feeling better now that I'm out of this useless medicine."

Nb419 March 11, 2016

"Finished taking meds today. Its worse my fever spiking to 100.7..white paste is now on both tonsils. 800mg Motrin up to 4 times a day..neck and shoulder pain..strep and flu swabs were negative. Seeking more treatment tomorrow."

psg30909 January 1, 2016

"I have been on this for three days now with the five pack dose. (250mg). The first day I had to take two and I threw it up, because I had nothing in my stomach. If you take this eat something before you take the dose. I'm on day three now, and I feel no pain, but my tonsils still look the same?? Will it eventually die down? I now have a pretty bad cough, along with a lot of sinuses in my head."

will my tonsils get better? (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2015