User Reviews for Azithromycin

Also known as: Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak, Zithromax, Zmax

Learn more about Azithromycin.

Azithromycin Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 53 medications used in the treatment of Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis.

Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis

"I'm on my 3rd day of this medication for strep throat and take it on a full stomach every day. I haven't had any stomach pain or diarrhea which I usually get with antibiotics, and no weird metallic taste in my mouth either. Only downside is it takes a bit longer to work than most antibiotics, so my throat was killing me until halfway through the day after taking the third pill. Aside from that, no side effects and I'm feeling much better now! My tonsil is still a little swollen but most of the pus is gone and no more pain."

SpecialKk August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It's my first day taking the first two pink pills. It took away my ear infection but my throat still hurts when I swallow and about 2 hours after taking the pills I had watery diarrhea"

Aaron Spalding April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am very allergic to a multitude of antibiotics....I have suffered with strep/tonsillitis since I was a child...every spring, every fall. The ONLY thing that works for me is the 5 day Z-pack. As others have said, please eat something first. I have been prescribed some meds that I haven't taken b/c of the listed side effects....this however has been the only thing to work for me. In fact, I am on my way in a bit to see the Dr because without fail, the white spots, fever, chills have come on this spring too!! Good luck to all."

Condor27 April 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with strep throat a few days ago and was prescribed zpak because of a penicillin allergy. I took two pills on the first day, and felt better within 24 hours. The only downside to this medicine is when I took the first dose (2 pills, 500mg total) I had HORRIBLE sharp pains from what was gas followed by diarrhea within 2 hours. The next day I took one pill, and had no side effects. I am on my third day and had pains, similar to harsh period cramps and then diarrhea also within two hours. I find it helpful to eat greek yogurt before taking this medicine! It helps ease the pain and I did not have loose stools on the days I ate the yogurt. Overall this medicine is great because it works extremely fast"

lili12331 April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The secret of taking any antibiotics is full-stomach. Meaning, you should eat a full meal even you don't have an appetite. A bowl of rice, soup, pooridge, noodles, banana, oatmeal, peanut butter sandwich with honey, or anything you can eat. Full stomach before you take the medicine (in fact any kind of medicine even vitamins) is a key to not feel all the side effects. Also, if you feel too much side effects (nausea, vomiting, dizziness), you may be allergic to one content of the medicine you are taking. You should check on it! Like, I usually get Augmentin for my tonsils and ear infection but I constantly getting the same side effects when I take it then I found out I was allergic to pennicilin content."

Tappingfeet (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

""I'm on my fourth day of this medicine for strep throat and my throat is in unbearable pain still. It really has not done anything for me. Horrible and would not recommend using."Not good medicine"

Khanmark January 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Used a three day pack .pretty useful.i have my tonsilities treated"

Anonymous December 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "Its not working at all I'm still in pain"

Hope0929 November 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with severe ear infection from tonsilitis. Took two pills and then thought i was gonna die from the side effects plus it didnt seem to be helping me. I went back to the doctor who told me to continue on the 5day pack and ensure i took the pills on a very full stomach. i did just that and now i have completed my 5day pack with no more side effects. Not sure of its effectiveness still have the ear infection that got worse with hearing almost to nil in my left ear."

smurfette1 October 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Horrible! ! ! The stomach pain is like going into labor. But it WORKED ."

Lisa267272 July 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"All medications have risk for side effects some people get them and some don't. As well as some medications work for others and some don't. We are given medication that is recommended base in research. If first line therapy does not work then they go to what is recommended next."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with strep & prescribed Amoxicillin 2x/day for 10 days. I thought it worked at first, then 3 days later it came back with a vengeance. So, I was then prescribed the Z-pack (2/day 1 then 1/day for 4 days) I have 1 more pill to take till I'm finished. But, I'm not sure it is working either. The sore throat is gone but I have a relentless cough & a ton of chest congestion. I have had mild side effects...nausea, tender stomach, not a big appetite. Still feeling really foggy & weak. I do recommend drinking either Boost or Ensure nutritional drinks while on antibiotics & taking a probiotic."

Krickspears April 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this medicine after they ran out of options as to what it could be. I only took 2 of the five pills prescribed to me. Yes I know that's bad but my throat and other symptoms cleared up and I couldn't handle the stomach problems this caused me. Terrible diarrhea and cramps, constant nausea."

CH3132016 (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just want to say to people out there that are scared to take antibiotics (like myself) do not look up these silly reviews it will only scare you more from taking them. I had to deal with strep for a month before I could actually take my antibiotic because people on here made it seem like it was the worst drug they've ever had. So far I've had no side effects. And it's working great. My suggestion is don't try and research what other people have said about it. Try it for yourself."

Ashryan07 March 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I thought I caught it early. So they prescribed a z pack. day 2 the white spots spread to other tonsil. day 3 stiffness in neck and still pain with swallowing. day 4 right side skin swollen in mouth to were I could not see my tonsil. Went to urgent care and they prescribed me a different antibiotic."

autogrl (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Went to the doctor for fever, severe dizziness, and some sinus drainage and sore throat. My flu swab came back negative, so she labeled it as acute pharyngitis, prescribed 5 day Z pak. Less than 2 hours after my first dose, I had horrible, painful diarrhea. I also began to experience severe stomach pain even though I made sure to take it with plenty of food. My symptoms did not improve, and I began having headaches as well. It is now the day after my final dose, and my sore throat is back, my fever is still high, head hurts, and I'm dizzy as ever though my stomach is finally feeling better now that I'm out of this useless medicine."

Nb419 March 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Finished taking meds today. Its worse my fever spiking to 100.7..white paste is now on both tonsils. 800mg Motrin up to 4 times a day..neck and shoulder pain..strep and flu swabs were negative. Seeking more treatment tomorrow."

psg30909 January 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this for three days now with the five pack dose. (250mg). The first day I had to take two and I threw it up, because I had nothing in my stomach. If you take this eat something before you take the dose. I'm on day three now, and I feel no pain, but my tonsils still look the same?? Will it eventually die down? I now have a pretty bad cough, along with a lot of sinuses in my head."

will my tonsils get better? (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking these for the past three days and it has made my throat worse (I have blisters in the back of my throat) it has made me tired, given me headaches, and my stomach has been killing me"

I hate this medicine November 26, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took 4 days of this medicine to no prevail. I actually got worse and ended up back at the take care clinic to be immediately sent to the emergency room because they thought I had an abscess on my tonsils. I'm happy that got ruled out, but I will never take a Z-pack again. They should have prescribed amoxicillin the Er Doctor said."

TeeH November 1, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took this 5 day treatment in the past a couple of times and it worked great. This time (2015) urgent care doc recommended amoxicillin, 2x day for ten days. I asked for the Z-pack and they agreed. Now on day 5, still coughing and throat tender. Wife and daughter got the amoxicillin on same day, all better. I guess this strep is resistant? Hopefully knocks it out in the next couple of days. Next time I would go for the amoxicillin for sure :)"

Jonneo October 13, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Seems to be working very slowly wish urgent care practitioner would have gave me a more aggressive antibiotic. I also got a large thick shot in the upper butt. Don't know what it was but opted for it for a faster reaction so don't really know if the z pack is even working at all. Day 2 of 5"

Jared b August 30, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started feeling bad with strep symptoms on Monday accompanied by fever, chills, body aches and swollen throat. Went to the ER. Culture came back positive. Dr gave me ibuprofen, zithromax and prednisone before leaving. Left with rx for those two and have felt no symptoms since. Other than my stomach being torn up from the meds, i think the prednisone has made all the difference this time. This is the 3rd time this year alone i have had it."

mandabear613 July 30, 2015

Anonymous July 9, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed azithromycin for tonsilitis/phyrangitis. On day 4 with the z-pak and still can't eat can't even swallow my own saliva without being afraid it will hurt. This medication is completely useless my swelling hasn't gone down and the pus pockets are now on the right side of my throat. I am in so much pain haven't eaten for 4 days"

apsa (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2015