User Reviews for Azithromycin

Also known as: Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak, Zithromax, Zmax

Learn more about Azithromycin.

Azithromycin Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis.

Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis

"The secret of taking any antibiotics is full-stomach. Meaning, you should eat a full meal even you don't have an appetite. A bowl of rice, soup, pooridge, noodles, banana, oatmeal, peanut butter sandwich with honey, or anything you can eat. Full stomach before you take the medicine (in fact any kind of medicine even vitamins) is a key to not feel all the side effects. Also, if you feel too much side effects (nausea, vomiting, dizziness), you may be allergic to one content of the medicine you are taking. You should check on it! Like, I usually get Augmentin for my tonsils and ear infection but I constantly getting the same side effects when I take it then I found out I was allergic to pennicilin content."

Tappingfeet (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

""I'm on my fourth day of this medicine for strep throat and my throat is in unbearable pain still. It really has not done anything for me. Horrible and would not recommend using."Not good medicine"

Khanmark January 8, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Used a three day pack .pretty useful.i have my tonsilities treated"

Anonymous December 25, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "Its not working at all I'm still in pain"

Hope0929 November 10, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was diagnosed with severe ear infection from tonsilitis. Took two pills and then thought i was gonna die from the side effects plus it didnt seem to be helping me. I went back to the doctor who told me to continue on the 5day pack and ensure i took the pills on a very full stomach. i did just that and now i have completed my 5day pack with no more side effects. Not sure of its effectiveness still have the ear infection that got worse with hearing almost to nil in my left ear."

smurfette1 October 31, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Horrible! ! ! The stomach pain is like going into labor. But it WORKED ."

Lisa267272 July 17, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"All medications have risk for side effects some people get them and some don't. As well as some medications work for others and some don't. We are given medication that is recommended base in research. If first line therapy does not work then they go to what is recommended next."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was diagnosed with strep & prescribed Amoxicillin 2x/day for 10 days. I thought it worked at first, then 3 days later it came back with a vengeance. So, I was then prescribed the Z-pack (2/day 1 then 1/day for 4 days) I have 1 more pill to take till I'm finished. But, I'm not sure it is working either. The sore throat is gone but I have a relentless cough & a ton of chest congestion. I have had mild side effects...nausea, tender stomach, not a big appetite. Still feeling really foggy & weak. I do recommend drinking either Boost or Ensure nutritional drinks while on antibiotics & taking a probiotic."

Krickspears April 29, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was prescribed this medicine after they ran out of options as to what it could be. I only took 2 of the five pills prescribed to me. Yes I know that's bad but my throat and other symptoms cleared up and I couldn't handle the stomach problems this caused me. Terrible diarrhea and cramps, constant nausea."

CH3132016 (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I just want to say to people out there that are scared to take antibiotics (like myself) do not look up these silly reviews it will only scare you more from taking them. I had to deal with strep for a month before I could actually take my antibiotic because people on here made it seem like it was the worst drug they've ever had. So far I've had no side effects. And it's working great. My suggestion is don't try and research what other people have said about it. Try it for yourself."

Ashryan07 March 24, 2016

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I thought I caught it early. So they prescribed a z pack. day 2 the white spots spread to other tonsil. day 3 stiffness in neck and still pain with swallowing. day 4 right side skin swollen in mouth to were I could not see my tonsil. Went to urgent care and they prescribed me a different antibiotic."

autogrl (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Went to the doctor for fever, severe dizziness, and some sinus drainage and sore throat. My flu swab came back negative, so she labeled it as acute pharyngitis, prescribed 5 day Z pak. Less than 2 hours after my first dose, I had horrible, painful diarrhea. I also began to experience severe stomach pain even though I made sure to take it with plenty of food. My symptoms did not improve, and I began having headaches as well. It is now the day after my final dose, and my sore throat is back, my fever is still high, head hurts, and I'm dizzy as ever though my stomach is finally feeling better now that I'm out of this useless medicine."

Nb419 March 11, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Finished taking meds today. Its worse my fever spiking to 100.7..white paste is now on both tonsils. 800mg Motrin up to 4 times a day..neck and shoulder pain..strep and flu swabs were negative. Seeking more treatment tomorrow."

psg30909 January 1, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been on this for three days now with the five pack dose. (250mg). The first day I had to take two and I threw it up, because I had nothing in my stomach. If you take this eat something before you take the dose. I'm on day three now, and I feel no pain, but my tonsils still look the same?? Will it eventually die down? I now have a pretty bad cough, along with a lot of sinuses in my head."

will my tonsils get better? (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2015

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been taking these for the past three days and it has made my throat worse (I have blisters in the back of my throat) it has made me tired, given me headaches, and my stomach has been killing me"

I hate this medicine November 26, 2015

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Took 4 days of this medicine to no prevail. I actually got worse and ended up back at the take care clinic to be immediately sent to the emergency room because they thought I had an abscess on my tonsils. I'm happy that got ruled out, but I will never take a Z-pack again. They should have prescribed amoxicillin the Er Doctor said."

TeeH November 1, 2015

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Took this 5 day treatment in the past a couple of times and it worked great. This time (2015) urgent care doc recommended amoxicillin, 2x day for ten days. I asked for the Z-pack and they agreed. Now on day 5, still coughing and throat tender. Wife and daughter got the amoxicillin on same day, all better. I guess this strep is resistant? Hopefully knocks it out in the next couple of days. Next time I would go for the amoxicillin for sure :)"

Jonneo October 13, 2015

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Seems to be working very slowly wish urgent care practitioner would have gave me a more aggressive antibiotic. I also got a large thick shot in the upper butt. Don't know what it was but opted for it for a faster reaction so don't really know if the z pack is even working at all. Day 2 of 5"

Jared b August 30, 2015

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Started feeling bad with strep symptoms on Monday accompanied by fever, chills, body aches and swollen throat. Went to the ER. Culture came back positive. Dr gave me ibuprofen, zithromax and prednisone before leaving. Left with rx for those two and have felt no symptoms since. Other than my stomach being torn up from the meds, i think the prednisone has made all the difference this time. This is the 3rd time this year alone i have had it."

mandabear613 July 30, 2015

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Anonymous July 9, 2015

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was prescribed azithromycin for tonsilitis/phyrangitis. On day 4 with the z-pak and still can't eat can't even swallow my own saliva without being afraid it will hurt. This medication is completely useless my swelling hasn't gone down and the pus pockets are now on the right side of my throat. I am in so much pain haven't eaten for 4 days"

apsa (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2015

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Was given the five day pack for strep throat. Day four and finally improving a bit. Probably not the strongest or beat for strep, but slowly does the job and works for five days after completing meds."

Sherwoodfam June 14, 2015

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"After tolerating an increasingly lumpy, sore, raw, dry throat and overall fatigue for about 10 days I finally went to the doctor. Z-pac and prednisone reduced the symptoms dramatically in 2 days. I didn't realize just how badly I felt. Taken exactly as prescribed this was certainly the right treatment. It's working."

Borris60 May 3, 2015

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Very good medication. My Dr told me that it is a very strong antibiotic my throat cleared in 4 days . Thank goodness!"

Siocal (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2015

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"After 2 days of this antibiotic, I felt no difference. I went to another Doctor who game me betadine liquid to gargle. Next day my sore throat improved little. But after 4 days of azithromycin and 2 days of betadine gargle, I feel good but still unable to swallow food/drink except milk. Hope it gets better in another couple of days."

KrishnaINDIA April 5, 2015