User Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Bacterial Infection

Also known as: Zithromax, Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak

Azithromycin has an average rating of 6.2 out of 10 from a total of 73 ratings for the treatment of Bacterial Infection. 49% of those users who reviewed Azithromycin reported a positive effect, while 30% reported a negative effect.

Azithromycin Rating Summary

6.2/10 average rating

Compare all 1055 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Azithromycin

SueSue · Taken for less than 1 month April 6, 2021

Z-Pak (azithromycin): “My Dictor called this in for me after a 10-day stomach bug. I felt it was bacterial vs. viral and within 2 days of taking the Z-Pak I felt 90% better and by Day 5 was 100% with no symptoms and a full appetite.”

Nana · Taken for less than 1 month April 5, 2021

Zithromax (azithromycin): “Severe anxiety and nervousness, horrible diarrhea, awful stomach ache, intense nausea, freaky nightmare, horrific headache. I only took 2 pills they was 250mg a piece don't recommend what so ever. Now I'm feeling like death wondering when effects will wear off”

Rondogunz · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2021

“My Dr prescribed me this for an ear infection. 500mg for 4 days. I made it though all four days fine but then on day 5 I had a couple really bad dizzy spells and felt like I was going to faint. I went to the ER and everything checked out fine. Blood work, EKG, chest x-ray etc. Well I'm now on day 7 and feel horrible. Super anxious, nauseated, indigestion, and just feel horrible. I'm hoping it stops soon.”

akehey · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2020

Z-Pak (azithromycin): “These bad reviews TERRIFIED me. I took this for strep throat and within the second day I was feeling better. I have 1 more day left and will be done with it. I’ve had no bad issues. The first day with the 2 pills made my stomach hurt a little and I got mild diarrhea but after that I had no more issues. Make sure to eat a full meal when taking it. And stop overthinking! Anxiety causes stomach pain and bathroom issues as well. If you’re freaking out due to the reviews I would not be shocked if you end up in the bathroom. Please don’t let the reviews deter you. Everyone’s body is different.”

Boliviana · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2019

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): “I took it for strep throat and didn’t have any side effects. My throat got worse on the second day but then got better. (Even when it looked worse , it didn’t hurt as bad as it did before ) My doctor sold it for $1.50. He doesn’t take insurance and gives his patient the cost he pays. (Yes those types of practices exist and are sometimes cheaper than what you pay with insurance and they actually care about their patients. )”

langel86 September 1, 2020

Z-Pak (azithromycin): “I'm only on day 2 and Z-Pak has worked wonders. I have taken it with food and with a pretty healthy system, I have had no side effects. I have a bacterial infection in my gums causing the tissue to swell over a tooth which caused the pain to be unbearable, but after a couple of these pills I can already see the difference. Things feel better and the infection is clearing.”

Greasy D · Taken for less than 1 month October 14, 2020

Z-Pak (azithromycin): “I had to share my experience after seeing all of the negative reviews. I had to take Z-Pak for an abscessed tooth before a root canal procedure. I was freaked bc of all the reviews I read, which were negative. I am sensitive to meds (which is why I read reviews for Z-pak). I had 0 side effects, no nausea, nothing. Just maybe feeling hungry, but not really. If that makes sense. Took the full dose. 2 on the first day, then 4 the next 4 days. I would take again, if needed. I am allergic to the cillins, and had more side effects from when I would be prescribed erthomyicin. Everyone is different with meds, but this did not give me a horrible experience.”

Jsmiles · Taken for less than 1 month March 28, 2020

“Absolutely never again! I took the 3 day z pack (azithromycin) for an upper respiratory infection and on the 3rd day it tore up my intestines, its been 2 weeks and I have gas, bloating, diarrhea, nausea and didn't do anything for my infection! I have crohn's disease as well and I was in remission but now thanks to this medication I'm going to have to start on my steroid medication again to get my stomach issues under control. I feel like I've been poisoned, period! I can't give this medication a rating of 0 or I would.”

hhl445 · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2020

Z-Pak (azithromycin): “Z pack works well for clearing up Strep throat, HOWEVER- caused *severe* appetite loss. Loose stools 1x a day. I lost 7lbs in 3 days on this. Obviously weight can be gained back & the Strep is gone - but ask your Dr. for a script of Zofran with this! & Diflucan. Increased my anxiety a ton at night as well. could not sleep Pros- works Cons- you will never want to eat, also a lot of anxiety at night from this”

N_A · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2020

“I was told to take a dose of two 500mg Azithromycin pills, 1g for a bacterial infection. Took the double dose at about 2pm with food. I got diarrhea about 3 hours later. It was not too bad. The next morning, I felt I would slept longer than normal. By mid day, I had an increasingly bad headache (I am attributing it to this med since I've never had a headache like this before or taken the antibiotic) and reduce appetite. The headache was above the ear mainly on the left side. Took 500mg tylenol and decided to tough it out. On the 3rd day, the med seems to be working as it reduced swelling and pain. By midnight on the 3rd day, the headache is mostly gone. No diarrhea and it actually helped me breathe better as it reduced phlegm.”

Bree March 24, 2019

Zithromax (azithromycin): “Worst med ever...LITERALLY coming out both ends at the same time! Sitting in hot bath only thing that helps the SEVERE STOMACH PAIN! OMG I prefer cramps at least those get knocked out with pills...this medicine is awful”

MamaBear80 · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2020

Z-Pak (azithromycin): “Unbelievable! I was sick for almost 9 days with a horrible horrible feeling inside of my body and then up all night with dry coughs and I was just really run down and I even had to take a day off of work. I went into my doctor just for a regular yearly checkup and they ran blood tests and found my white blood count to be high when I was getting checked for something else. When he called me back he told me that he was going to put a Z Pack in for me. I felt better 5 hours after taking a z-pack I literally had no cough and my body felt back to normal and I can tell you that it hasn't even been 24 hours and I feel 80% better! It was seriously like the best night's rest I've had in 5 days my cough immediately went away. I think one of the best things also is the fact that it doesn't interact with my thyroid medication. I'm so happy about this so I'm going to call and let him know today!”

Flu+Bronchitis · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2019

Z-Pak (azithromycin): “Z-pak is the only antibiotic I don’t have an allergic reaction to or side effects from. I agree with the reviews, it either works fast and is awesome or it doesn’t work. If you need a second dose, your illness is probably something else. Pop a Pepcid before taking it and eat while you take it, prevents heartburn/upset stomach. Be well out there and please stay home if you’re sick:)”

Infected....help · Taken for less than 1 month September 17, 2019

Zithromax (azithromycin): “I had no issues with side effects from zithromax whatsoever, although the doctor said it would like cause stomach upsets (again, never experienced this though). Unfortunately, though it did nothing to help the bacterial infection. It's only been about two days now..... I would though there'd be some improvement but it still steadily gets worse.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2015

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): “I found the generic Greenstone Brand 250mg tablet, NDC 59762-3060-1 to not be effective! In the past I have taken the brand name Zithromax Z-Pak and by the third dose I knew I was recovering from my illness. Since starting the GS brand I have experienced unusual tiredness, voice hoarseness, & an increase in a stuffy, mucus filled nose. Completed RX as instructed, not improved any. I feel it should be pulled from the insurance companies list of generic azithromycins!!”

MJ · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2020

“Hi everyone, do NOT let all the reviews scare you off azithromycin like they did me. I knew I’d write a review of it either way, as never taken the medication before. I took the 4 pill at a time dosage, at around lunch time. I had a bit of bloating before I took the medication so I was worried about how that would affect it. I had no diarrhea, slight nausea, no vomiting, just extremely gassy. Like, insanely so. So I would just stay home and let yourself be gassy for the day. I ate a small meal, and took the dosage about an hour later.”

Keri November 17, 2020

“I have used Z-Pak for bronchitis to prevent pneumonia. It is very effective and I also used a probiotic an hour after my dose of Z-Pak. Probiotics work well for me and with bacterial bronchitis it helps restore gut flora. I stay on Probiotics and have not had reoccurring bronchitis. I only report this to you as my own experience. Always check in with your MD when you use any OTC products such as Probiotics. I hope this is informative for you.”

LadyT · Taken for less than 1 month October 21, 2019

“Took all 4 pills for vaginal discharge, no stds..I had just ate dinner so I took the pills..slight nausea for an hour or 2 so I took some anti nausea medication..by bed time SUPER NAUSEOUS and had stomach pains. I took 2 more anti nausea pills throughout the night as I couldn't sleep for waking up every 5 mins feeling like I needed to vomit. Then at around 4am all the pills kicked in an the nausea went away. Now 5 days later I got diarrhea all day. However it did clear up the vaginal discharge tho”

Jazzie · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2020

“My doctor prescribed me this medication for an infection I had . The SIG was take 2 by mouth at one time ( both 500mg tablets ) . So I took them after I ate food. About 5 minutes later my whole body is sweating , I become weak , horrible stomach pains , I feel like I’m going to throw up everywhere. My mom said that I got pale looking in the face . I wanted to go to the hospital so bad but I just calmed down . I went to my room and instantly fell asleep and woke up feeling way better . THIS MEDICATION HAS HORRIBLE SIDE EFFECTS , NEVER AGAIN!”

Stephy2009 · Taken for less than 1 month June 29, 2019

“I had a real bad chest infection and was Spitting blood everyday with foul smelling yellow mucus. After taking first dose of azithromycin pills I haven't seen any blood in my mucus what so ever I'm so excited ! I've had some kind of infection since taking dulera but my only symptom was bloody mucus when I woke up. no cough no fever nothing well my chest hurts but steroid is taking care of that 4 months ago I had a clear chest ct scan and a clear larengoscopy just recently . I've been dealing with this for 4 months and had no idea what it could be . Apparently some sort of bacterial infection cuz I'm only spitting yellow today no blood !Thankful to god! !”

Anonymous March 21, 2011

“I had a fever of 103 which lasted 24 hours, then a bad cough set in that left my body achy. I, too, thought I was going to break a rib coughing - it was a deep cough. I had phlegm deep in my lungs that would not come out. Felt a little light headed. As soon as I took the first dose, my head started to feel clearer. I expect I will get better on this medicine and avoid getting walking pneumonia. I'm so grateful - this medicine has helped 'whatever is going around town' - cough/flu/pneumonia type symptoms. ”

Abby · Taken for less than 1 month August 17, 2018

Z-Pak (azithromycin): “Doctor prescribed amoxicillin for my sinusitis (10 day supply). By day 4 my phlegm was green and I felt worse than day 1. Told doctor to prescribe Z-Pack. I took the double dose on the first day and within six hours felt 80% better. By day two no more green phlegm and feeling almost 100% better.”

C&G · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2020

“This is by far the worst antibiotic I've ever tried. I got the 3 pack today. I took one 500mg pill for my Bronchitis. Within 90 mins I started having severe dizziness, nausea and vomiting, stomach pains, headaches and nervousness.”

wildjflippin · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 15, 2014

Z-Pak (azithromycin): “I am allergic to just about every antibiotic out there but the Z-pack is pretty good in taking care of the sinus infections I get, without too many side effects. A little bit of upset stomach occurs but its minor. Z pack always takes care of the infection promptly.”

Nickname · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 10, 2020

“Had to take this medication twice now. Every time, no matter how much I eat with it, I get absolutely some of the worst stomach pains of my life. Everyone is different, and it seems my stomach is particularly sensitive in general. If you have a sensitive stomach, avoid this medication if possible. I’m experiencing the stomach pain and diarrhea right now from only 500 mg and I am in absolute agony. This is a super consistent side effect for the many doses I have had to unfortunately take. Cured the infection quickly though.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2019

“I was prescribed 1 dose of four 250mg tablets to be taken at one time. The dr did tell me to eat something with this. Thankful I ate an actual meal with it and not just a snack because I could only imagine how much worse I would have been if I didn’t eat a full meal. I took this around 7pm and by 10pm I was getting the stomach gurgles and cramps. It was bearable and I fell asleep. Let me tell you I woke up at 3am with the WORST diarrhea of my entire life and almost passed out in the bathroom from the pain. I went ghost white pale and started to sweat from the pain. Spent a good 30 min almost dying in the bathroom and slept on a couch in the living room in case I needed to crawl back in the bathroom and die again. This medication has the worse side effects.”

Ezio · Taken for less than 1 month March 12, 2015

“I rarely take antibiotics. I got a serious strep throat and I knew I just HAD to go to a doctor. I started to feel markedly better within 2 hours of taking the first pill. Within the first 8 hours I think I was totally cured. Continued to take the whole course as prescribed though.”

Honeycat · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 8, 2019

“Had to take azithromycin for bacterial infection as no option for bronchiactasis. I'm on a long term low dose. Been taking since July. Have some tummy pain on the days I take them but nothing extreme. My cough has reduced greatly and phlegm has also reduced. My energy levels have increased and I am able to function in a semi normal way again. No other antibiotics worked. 5 chest infections in a year and 4 other antibiotics had no effect. I can not knock this drug, it works for me”