User Reviews for Azithromycin

Also known as: Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak, Zithromax, Zmax

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Azithromycin.

Azithromycin Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 793 medications used in the treatment of Upper Respiratory Tract Infection.

Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Upper Respiratory Tract Infection

"Amazing for chest infection. I had been tight and congested with fatigue and aches. Within a day of first dose the phlegm started to break up allowing me to cough the mucus out of my lungs. I feel so much better! It doesn’t always work due to virus/bacteria thing but I can usually tell the difference by how I feel and this time I was right. Zpack was needed and fixed me. No terrible side effects for me."

Ecd10 December 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed the zpac for an upper respiratory infection and took two the first day and one after did nothing for me but make it worse. I can't even laugh with out coughing I stop taking it decided to take amoxicillan instead and now I'm coughing up my mucus. Do not recommend the zpac"

Bad medicine October 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just finished zpack for a upper respiratory tract infection. I've gotten progressively worse through the 5 day course. On day 4 I had a temp of 103 and severe headache. I had a temp of 99 when I began the pack."

Karen088 (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with panbronchiolitis and mild bronchiectasis. I had a few episodes of serious flare up when I caught a viral flu that left my lungs filled with phlegm and breathlessness. My doctor treated me on such episodes with prednisolone and azithromycin. It works within 36 hours and my condition improve from then onwards."

Mikeloo September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I think this stuff REALLY messed up my stomach big time! I started a 5 day treatment on 7/17/17 for a respiratory infection. The stomach problems didn't happen until the last day and to this day (8/13/17) I STILL seem to be having stomach issues. After doing some internet searching for reviews, I found some that were basically horror stories from people who took this! If this stuff has such horrific side effects, why is it even prescribed and/or WHY didn't the doctor discuss possible side effects with me beforehand?! AND, on top of all of that, I'M STILL COUGHING LIKE A CRAZY PERSON!"

jcart (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had this in the past with very little success for upper respiratory infections, but for some reason, still seems to be the go-to script for my PCP. Once again, I started with the flu (fever for 3 days), and it progressed to severe sinus congestion and a cough where I sounded like I was coughing up my lungs. Got this prescribed for me and after 4 1/2 days on it with very minimal relief of the sinus congestion and next to no relief for the coughing, I called PCP back (as instructed) to let them know I was not improving. They indicated that no other antibiotics were indicated and that the z-pack works for 10 days after you take the last pill. So, I'm still sitting at home, clenching my chest and hoping that something soon gives!"

coughzilla March 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"100 %APPROVAL..... 6 hrs after taking this, I felt 98 % better. Almost normal. I can't tell cause I feel great but friends from the Congregation say they see it in my eyes a bit, that and a small head ache. Nothing bothersome if I wasn't reclining way back to type this. I've used this medication a few times over the years. And averaging between the other antibiotics, it is uncomparable. It has always worked, as as always like with this time got around 2 and took it. I felt like DEATH this am, but now feel well enough tonight to go to a meeting at my congregation... For a 5 day course ......."

Jah_is_my_God February 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This gave me horrible stomach cramps. I had NO pressure or congestion. Day 3 of these and I can't breathe and out of my nose and the pressure is excruciating. I feel like my head is going to explode. Mega dosing with vitamin c next time. No side effects. I am not finishing this crap. I never stop an antibiotic early but this is the worst."

Nope. February 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this product for an upper respiratory infection yesterday at the ER. The doc said to hold on from taking it for a couple of days because he thought I have a viral infection. Last night I was feeling so miserable, my sinuses were burning up, chest with lot of congestion, etc. So I called the nurse at the ER to ask if I could just take it right away, I am also pregnant.. She said to go ahead and take it, that it would not hurt if it was viral. I took the first 2 pills around 11pm. I could not sleep, it does raise your heart rate a little, I guess when it fights the infection.. Today I started feeling much better at around 5pm. I am so glad I followed my guts and took this med, it is a miracle med."

Pam777 (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this med for infection I have gotten better but side effects for me are stomachs cramps diarrhea lightheaded nausea and I'm very jittery at night having a hard time sleeping I'm glad it's not just me but I guess this med has pros and cons - 2 more days of hell"

Mellie2004 January 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "I took for 5 days but it didn't help at all. Now starting Levofloxacin "

Aalamm January 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Has never helped. My PCP doesn't prescribe it anymore"

Xrayu2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My first 2 uses of this drug I had no side effects. 3rd time I had moderate nausea. Pharmacist said eat yogurt. Each time within 2 days tingling in sinuses as I felt them open up, and cured by end of pills. Also symptoms of lime disease in hips was cured, puzzled my doc. Just began new round! Advise to help nausea: Keep stomach full. Graze all day, like a cow! Oatmeal with banana, whole wheat toast with avocado, peanut butter sandwich. Something every 2 hours. Big dinner with lots of vegetables. And I eat 2 containers of tasty yogurt 2 or 3 times a day. I had light nausea 1st day that lasted maybe 1 hour."

netmouse January 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zithromax (azithromycin): "Upper respiratory infection Zithromax 250mg My doctor gave me a z pak 2 tabs on day 1 followed by 1 tablet the next 4 days. Total tablets 6. Zithromax is the generic drug for Azithromycin. First time prescribed. **Note I have asthma** and was feeling more fatigued and light headed. Drugs.com interaction* checker* pointed out that since I used 2 inhalers. A. Pro-Air and 2. Advair that my potasium level would be affected. A moderate interaction warning. I started drinking gatorade and began to feel better. My mom is diabetic, and gatorade makes flavored 12oz bottles that has potassium and will not affect your blood sugar."

sparkymarky (taken for less than 1 month) December 24, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I work overnight shift in a hospital, sterile instrument supplies, not patient care. I picked up a bad head cold which morphed into a sinus infection, no fever. Not the end of the world of course, but after 3 weeks and 3 work shifts missed, I went and got it checked out, and was prescribed azithromyocin, 5-day treatment. Within 2 days my sinuses and head began improving but my only complaint is the possible side-effect of insomnia. Again, I work overnight shift, and sleeping during the day is never easy, but I've called off 3 additional work shifts since being on this medication, solely from not being able to sleep enough (less than 4 hours). Even though my head and sinuses are getting better, I refuse to work if I haven't slept enough."

Biotin (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been feeling horrible for six days. Thought I had the flu, but was diagnosed with an Acute Upper Tract Infection. Had chills sweats loss of appetite. Within 6 hours of taking the 2 first day pills I began to feel better. I feel about 80% after being 30% for the last several days."

CP From STl December 3, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Zithromax twice for an Upper Respiratory Tract Infection and both times I was as sick as a dog. Constant runs (comes on FAST, nausea, bloating, flatlence, aches, chills; basically feeling like I had a bad flu without the fever. I felt better just having the chest infection :-P Use this drug only if milder medications do not work!"

FeelingBlah (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Awful!! Took way to long to even "start" to feel better. It seemed to bring on aches and pains or made me feel worse. Dr. Prescribed it for me 3 times only because I forgot to tell him I don't want it anymore after the 3rd time. I do NOT use it anymore and never will again.This was bad!"

Terry NY July 30, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "I haven't taken an antibiotic for several years because I haven't had a bacterial infection. Over a month ago I came down with a virus but in retrospect it soon evolved into a secondary sinus infection. I respect the avoidance of antibiotics unless symptoms clearly point to bacterial infections, and I was not running a fever, and what my sinus produced did not look foul enough. However, when this didn't abate after close to 5 weeks, even my internist agreed it might be a rare low-grade bacterial infection and gave the green light to try an antibiotic. I started it the day before yesterday and by last night it was the first time in 4 1/2 weeks I got relief from the non-stop post-nasal glob driving me crazy. It couldn't have been more dramatic."

tiggerflute (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have just taken Day 5 dose for a worse than usual respiratory infection. Being asthmatic I need to get a jump on these things and Z Pack works well and the one pill a day makes it convenient. Abdominal cramps and diahrea are a side effect I get with all antibiotics, and I have found eating yogurt helps. The antibiotic will kill the good bacteria in your colon as well as the bad infection and it has to bereplaced."

Broncky Al (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am on day 4 of the 5 day treatment and I the only thing that is happening is that I'm getting more sick by the day. I went back to the Dr. on day 3 and said that it was getting worse (can barely swallow my own saliva) and he said that it takes the full 5 days, maybe even 6, to work. This is definitely NOT the antibiotic for me. Just wanted to share in case someone else is getting this run-around. I have to get some different antibiotics because apparently I am 100% immune to this kind."

JennPage88 May 22, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just finished my Azithromycin tablets. . Feeling 100% better. . No side effects...."

Harmony711 March 28, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Woke up the other morning in tears not able to breathe. I did two breathing treatments and still very little relief. Went to ER and was prescribed this and I kid you not by the next morning after taking the 6, I felt 100% better. I am choking on a lot of mucus but I guess that's because it's being broken up now. This is the greatest medication I have taken in a while. It truly worked wonders. My hands are very itchy but I don't even care! I can breathe!!"

Nikkicupcake09 January 8, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Several bouts of Bronchitis and Walking Pneumonia over the years. I was born premature and had lung issues as an infant. I do not smoke. I am healthy. The Z-Pack (250 mg) works almost immediately for me. The first day I take two, then one/day for the next four days. I am on Day 2 and already am feeling better!"

Speedy G December 14, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had bad upper respiratory infection, coughing and pain, and was prescribed the 250 pack. By day two, I was 90 percent better and no side effects. Definitely a great medicine for upper respiratory infection!"

srob (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2014