User Reviews for Erythromycin

Also known as: Ery-Tab, EryPed, Erythrocin, E-Mycin, E.E.S.-400, Erythrocin Lactobionate, Erythrocin Stearate Filmtab, PCE Dispertab, Wyamycin S, E.E.S. Granules, E.E.S.-200, E.E.S.-400 Filmtab Erythrocot Eryc

Erythromycin has an average rating of 6.2 out of 10 from a total of 51 ratings on Drugs.com. 41% of those users who reviewed Erythromycin reported a positive effect, while 28% reported a negative effect.

Dental Abscess   5.1
Legionella Pneumonia   1 reviews 26 medications
Summary of Erythromycin reviews 6.2 51 reviews

Reviews for Erythromycin

Shander · Taken for less than 1 month December 31, 2020

For Dental Abscess: “As someone else said, it takes a while to beat the infection and, as a result, takes a bit longer to reduce swelling and pain but after roughly 2.5 days. It looks like things are getting much better. I was taking 200 mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours for the pain/swelling but this next one might be my last one. So hang in there and do NOT stop taking the course (usually 7-10 days). You risk promoting resistant bacterial growth. I have had minor stomach issues due to it (diarrhea one day) but always made sure I took it after a meal to reduce these side effects. I’d much rather have a day or two of mild diarrhea than intense tooth pain.”

paul · Taken for less than 1 month December 6, 2020

For Dental Abscess: “erythromycin used to work fine for me when I had a dental abscess, but this time I left it too long, and it reduced the pain, but it came back. I think you have to treat the abscess early for it to work properly. I can't have penicillin. Gave a bit of acid reflux.”

SassySalior · Taken for less than 1 month December 6, 2020

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “This was used for my Gastroparesis which is a condition that slows down digestion paralyzing the stomach. This stuff really helped me digest food better, I was able to eat almost normal when on this medication. Unfortunately I can only be on it for a short period of time because it loses its effect if taken too long. I also had some side effects, if I got to warm or was outside in the sun I would break out in tiny bumps all across my stomach. I was on the liquid medication. I was on and off this medication for a few months due to Pneumonia and Pneumoperitoneum and Gastroparesis. I am young adult in her early 20s.”

ellie May 10, 2020

For Dental Abscess: “I took 250 mg of erythromycin for a tooth infection as I’m allergic to penicillin. side effects were pretty bad on the first few days couldn’t eat couldn’t get out of bed, diarrhoea, fast heart rate. But after my body got used to it, the pain went after a few days of taking it. Dental pain is the worst pain I’ve ever experienced.. I still can’t see my dentist because of this pandemic !!!”

Blodyn80 · Taken for less than 1 month October 29, 2017

For Dental Abscess: “I’ve had an abscess since Sept 5th and it’s now October 29th. Dentist would not give me antibiotics till Oct 27th. I am allergic to penicillin so that’s why I have this antibiotic. I’ve been using it for around 36 hours now, 1 every 6 hours and I have had no side effects like others have had and for the first time since I got my abscess I am not in constant pain : ) my tooth is still sensitive but my glands have gone down and my jaw is not hurting anymore : )”

Anonymous October 1, 2009

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “This drug worked miracles for my skin but the side effects are overwhelming. I constantly have an upset stomach and am always tired. I have to take this medicine right before bed so I can function throughout my day. Usually when I wake up I still fell some of the side effects like an upset stomach.”

annonymous user January 4, 2014

For Dental Abscess: “I'm currently taking it now as I'm allergic to penicillin. I'm on my 3rd day. I've been getting really painful stomach cramps, hot sweats and very loose stools. It's making me feel really ill. And it hasn't made my mouth feel any better at all. I'm going to give it one more day then I'm going to stop taking it because it's obviously not for me.”

Little Ms Moffat November 15, 2009

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: “I was prescribed this medication as I have a chest infection. I had a really bad cough for around 3 weeks, after 2 days of taking this my cough was so much better. EXCEPT that around the same time my cough signifigantly improved, I felt so nauseous.”

Anonymous November 20, 2008

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: “I was prescribed to take the medication for sinus, inner ear, and chest infection. It made me terribly sick, so I stopped taking it. I know you're not supposed to stop and start, but I did three times. The most recent was after a medic on the set told me to eat yogurt and the sickness would subside. He said it was something in the bioflavins that helped with the nausea. My entire body felt great once I stayed on the medication as prescribed. Take care!”

Nick · Taken for less than 1 month February 1, 2020

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “Not sure why acne isn't listed but yeah, my GP recently gave me erythromycin as doxy just made my skin worse and Lymecycline did nothing. I'm on 4 pills a day at 250mg and after 2 days my redness has basically gone and seeing improvement. The only bad thing is (cant say for sure its this drug) but I currently have a cold and hurts when I swallow anything. Never had a cold believe it or not in years and I feel dizzy at times and lack of energy also but to me its worth putting up with seeing as I have had mild acne for 7 years and wasted hundreds of pounds on useless treatments. As for clearing so far I have seen noticeable differences on my face. The spots are almost gone even and ones on my chest and back are fading. I will update you later on as everyone knows how antibiotics work..normally stop working half way through or acne comes back.”

kikidi June 30, 2012

For Dental Abscess: “I was put on erythromycin for a tooth infection. It raised my blood pressure to 170/112. I stopped taking it when the course finished. I felt dizzy and out of sorts. My blood pressure is slowly decreasing now, but I still feel dizzy sometimes. ”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 20, 2020

For Dental Abscess: “I’m allergic to penicillin so was prescribed erythromycin for tooth infection. On day 2.5. Still have the pain however I must say it did make me feel awful With the side effects the first 2 days! Nausea, cramps etc but I now find on day 3 my body is getting used to it so will finish the course and hope it clears up my toothache which is excruciating!!!”

Mommo · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 11, 2020

For Campylobacter Gastroenteritis: “My son has been on this for almost 3 years now to help his gastroparesis and decreased intestinal transit time, it is a pretty common drug for this condition and works great! No side effects for him, He does have to take drug holidays and adjust the dose a couple times a year but this is a very helpful med!”

B August 30, 2020

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “Used to take these erythromycin for year when I was 15 for acne and had no side effects. Now is a different story. Got an ingrown hair that had got infected. For four days I have had being sick, explosive diarrhea and agonizing stomach cramps coupled with no appetite. I had to take x 2 250mg tablets 4 times a day. I have been in bed for days as I'm wiped out. Phoned a walk in centre and they told me to stop taking them immediately. Never again.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 8, 2012

For Otitis Media: “I'm taking this due to ear and sinus infection and swollen lymph nodes. I'm allergic to penicillin, so doctor gave me these. Seems to be working on infection, but slowly. I have to take 500mg 2xs a day. It gives me terrible stomach cramps and pain, but after I eat, the pain goes away. I'm just very lazy, tired and my brain is cloudy. Don't feel myself. Not sure if its due to my illness or the medicine. Drinks a lot of water. Hope you feel better!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 21, 2019

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “I've taken Erythromycin (for acne) for close to 70-80 days now, and I have to say I have had no side effects, and my skin hasn't had more than one spot in 4 months ( I can't see Erythromycin listed for Acne here but it works!) , or maybe it helps that I also got myself out of a stressful work environment too, but but the Erythromycin definitely works.”

Iga October 14, 2020

For Dental Abscess: “Treated with erythromycin for dental abscess and toothache that I suffered for a while. I couldn't sleep for first 1 night. Abnormal heart rate and nausea so I reduced the dosage and I felt a lot better but taken a bit longer to complete. I am all good now, haven't had any dental issues since then (Nov 2019)”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2012

For Bronchitis: “I've been taking it for two days since I am allergic to penicillins. I guess I feel better with the bronchitis but I have bad leg cramps and my stomach stays upset and have had horrible diarrhea. Side effects might not be worth it.”

Annie · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2020

For Dental Abscess: “Started taking erythromycin for dental abscess after previously having Amoxicillin six weeks prior... day one stomach cramps, sickness, vomiting this continued for at least two days. I am now on day 4 and still feeling ill, stomach pain has subsided but feeling dizzy and generally unwell. I will finish course and never take again ... dental pain is improved but not at end of course yet do we’ll see!”

Jude123 March 26, 2016

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: “This antibiotic is the best, hands down. The Z pack doesn't even come close to this. I take this when I get really bad sinus infections that go into my chest and I start feeling better within a couple days. I specifically ask my doctor for this when I get sick because it's the one that really works.”

Jerry · Taken for less than 1 month September 6, 2020

For Dental Abscess: “Started erythromycin medication for toothache/onset of infection. Now the 3rd day on meds, still no significant relief of pain due to oncoming infection. After reading comments I see this medication can take a little time to start working, hopefully I'll get relief soon. I also experienced severe stomach cramps, along with intestinal discomfort, nausea but no vomiting. I'm in the same position due to pandemic cannot see dentist anytime soon. Not sure what to do now.”

Big M October 16, 2009

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: “I have been diagnosed with COPD and IBS and Acid Reflux unfortunately, and I also had developed a chest infection on Monday. My Doctor prescribed ERYTHROMYCIN 200 mg TABLETS. This is Friday and I feel a lot lot better. Thank you very much for this discovery.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2015

For Dental Abscess: “This medicine gave me extreme upper abdominal pain and vomiting and I felt so unwell I couldn't sleep! My infection was slightly better after 3 days but I had to stop taking this medicine as it was making me too unwell! Stay away from this medicine and find an alternative!”

Em1ly99 · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2019

For Strep Throat: “I was given erythromycin for both tonsillitis and urinary tract infection as I am allergic to penicillin. I was fine after the first 6-8 hours, however when I went to bed I suffered with severed stomach pains, and severe vomiting and nausea. I continued to take it however it was becoming too severe so I discontinued and went back to ADOC (doctor on call). I do not recommend this medication it is truly horrible on the stomach.”

Lukeclem · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2017

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: “I was prescribed this drug after a chest infection had returned an the initial antibiotics had not 100% worked. Within a day I had gotten a lot worse, and began passing out and ended up in hospital for 6 hours. They informed me that this drug was not always reliable and they had a woman in the ward for 6 weeks due to her taking these for 3 days. Reluctantly I came off this drug and went back onto a longer dosage of my initial antibiotics. Needless to say I got a lot better quickly, and the infection had disappeared within a week.”

Patient · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2019

For Bronchitis: “I would get laryngitis and bronchitis every fall for years. One year developed into acute bronchitis. Dr prescribed me erythromycin. Caused a terrible metal taste and food tasted like dirt for months. However, that was 32 years ago and I have not had bronchitis since!”

Kitkat0897 · Taken for less than 1 month August 11, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “Had a insect bite that got really badly infected on my calf to the point where I could barely walk it was that painful I was on penicillin but that did very little but after taking this it cleared up almost immediately. Although it's making feel quite nauseas where all it takes is a buiscuit to make me want to throw up also having headaches and my heart beat keeps going fast but it worked a treat on my bite”

Unlucky alf · Taken for less than 1 month November 5, 2020

For Dental Abscess: “4 days treatment of erythromycin now of a 7 day treatment, I still have dental pain. I will be referring back to dentist , unfortunately I cannot take penicillin as a treatment. I hope I can have this toothache problem sorted real soon.”