User Reviews for Guaifenesin

Also known as: Actifed CC Chesty Cough, Air Power, Allfen Jr, Altarussin, Altorant, Amibid LA, Anti-Tuss, Aquamist, Balminil Expectorant, Beechams Veno's Expectorant, Beechams Veno's for Kids Chesty Cough, Benadryl Chesty Forte, Benylin E, Bidex-400, Breonesin, ...show all 118 brand names

Learn more about Guaifenesin.

Bronchitis 29 reviews 285 medications

Fibromyalgia 60 reviews 20 medications

7.9
Cough 36 reviews 784 medications

6.9
Summary of Guaifenesin reviews 125 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Guaifenesin

For Fibromyalgia: "The ONLY thing that works for my type of FM which is caused by the buildup of calcium/phosphate"

Hope00 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 16, 2016

For Cough: "Did not thin out mucus of cough from severe sinus infection Did make me bring it up though"

bunnee1934 June 6, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I tried Mucinex about 6 years ago, but decided it didn't work after only a week of use. About 8 months ago I started taking Mucinex because I developed a chronic cough (M.D. feels it is due to allergies/sinus drip), and after 3 weeks, I suddenly noticed every cell in my body no longer hurt. Yes, I still have neck and low back pain, but that is unrelated to fibromyalgia. The fibromyalgia pain has decreased by about 75-80% (deep tissue is still sensitive if tested). I take 12mg Mucinex DM before bed. Both my physician and pharmacist approve. None of the prescribed meds worked and none were without side effect. Sometimes I take a generic, but mostly I stick to Mucinex. I am so grateful to have relief after so many years of suffering."

Jane Grapes (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2016

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "I took this attempting to get rid of a cough and chest congestion. I am a 105lb 30 year old female. I took one pill yesterday and felt a little better. That was a half does so today I tried 2 pills, a full dose. After feeling nauseous for several hours I finally threw up several times and am feeling much better. I will not be taking it again, and would rather allow the congestion to run its course."

Puppyloveg (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2016

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "I was suffering from a severe virus-caused sore throat with terrible coughing. My PCP advised me to take Mucinex but at substantially greater dosage than the package recommends. I did so for about 3-4 weeks. The medication did help relieve my coughing, but it interfered so badly with my sleep that I had to discontinue taking it. I notice that other people have experienced sleep problems with Mucinex. There should be a warning about this on the package label."

Captain Jerry May 15, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I have had fibromyalgia for most of my life. Even as a child I suffer from severe leg pain. Each time I was given guaifenesen to help ease asthma congestion I always felt better. Today I take magnesium, guaifenesen, and vitamin D1000 x 3 and I finally have my life back. I tried Lyrica which locked up my jaws. Cymbalta and many other antidepressant's to no avail. For those of you that it doesn't help perhaps you need a second opinion on your diagnosis. I have to many friends on these meds that have reclaimed their life for this treatment to NOT be on to something. Perhaps more research is needed, but why would they do that when the medical and big pharma is getting rich shoving Lyrica, Cymbalta down our throat and getting rich."

CeciliaJayne (taken for 10 years or more) May 14, 2016

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: "This medicine really helped me out with a bronchitis attack. I have been suffering with acute bronchitis for about 3 weeks now, after taking all of the medication that my doctor prescribed I still have no relief. After reading reviews I decided to give Mucinex (liquid) a try, to my surprise it really helps to bring up all of that sticky mucus that was stuck in my lungs. Although I'm not fully well yet, I can see better days ahead!"

Nina5621 May 10, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I started taking guaifenesin about three weeks ago at 600 mg every morning . I had improved in most of my pain but still was getting that evening pain and so I just increased to take another 600mg in evening. I slept so deep and woke up feeling like a new person. I will continue on this because nothing else has ever helped my fibromyalgia better. I can get my life back together now."

Happyfibrogone (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: "Helped loosen this putty gunk in my lungs making my coughing more effective and less effort required."

Carranetta (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "My teen daughters were diagnosed with Fibromyalgia before I was. I did tons of research to help them and stumbled on Dr. St. Amand's Guaifenesin Protocol as well realizing that I had a lot of the symptoms as well. We went to Marina del Rey to see the doctor himself and were diagnosed. That was over a year ago. Guaifenesin has helped us all immensely. My daughter was dancing competitively and then couldn't do anything. Now she is dancing again, getting better all the time. My youngest has had her IBS symptoms disappear! You really have to follow the protocol as written, by removing salicylate products and taking long acting guaifenesin. I suggest getting the book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia." Read it to understand."

fibro mom (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 10, 2016

For Cough: "So thankful I purchased, started taking at the first of trouble, and my cough is barely evident. Makes me pee every hour, cause I'm drinking plenty of water , and i think that's why I'm not coughing to much."

Sweetpea Kee (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2016

For : "Great results. Took plain Guaifenesin, 12 hr, 600mg for a cold/bronchitis, but later realized I had no muscle achiness, which otherwise, I have every day. So, I tried Guaifenesin without a cold, and most all the achiness was gone. The good effect lasted a few days, then the aches were back. Did lots of yard work, with worse aches after, and so I took Guaifenesin after the fact, and it quickly helped. After reading a lot about, it appears to relax the muscles, although this is not a technical answer. Evidently, taking aspirin or other with salicylates? Blocks the good effect. I was at a point where I wondered if I had arthritis, but I have no joint pain. Guaifenisen works for me, although I won't take it every day."

Karanne (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I've been taking Guaifenesin for 18 months, along with following all of the guidelines written by Dr. R. Paul St. Amand in his book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia". Before I started the Guaifenesin Protocol, I was in so much pain, and had so much fatigue that I was in bed much of the time. Slowly and steadily, I am getting my life back. My pain is much better. The fatigue still comes and goes, but gets better each month. Some of my other Fibro symptoms are completely gone. It is VERY IMPORTANT to follow the protocol as written by Dr. St. Amand, especially avoiding plant products (salicylates) on your skin. Just taking a Guaifenesin pill will not make you better. Do your research--you can do this!"

NancyB,FibroFighter (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 5, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "Mucinex (guaifenesin): "With moderate to severe fibromyalgia for 25 years, lost my career & lived in fear of having a life to avoid a flare-up mostly sleeping bedridden 75% of time. I also have polyneuropathy, trigeminal neuralgia, occipital neuralgia, severe cervical DDD, myelopathy, etc.. have tried every antidepressant, SSRI, pain medicine, anti-inflammatory..you all know, with major side effects. Feb 2016 I got a cold on top of allergies used Mucinex daily 800 mg then up to 1600 mg & could not believe the relief even at 800! I have prayed for someone to invent a NEW MEDICINE for fibromyalgia that would work..turned out this OLD MEDICINE has returned a lot of my life to me, helps the pain, brain fog, fatigue& depression too!"

SDCalifGirl (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "My Fibro pain started 35 years ago and all the doctors shrugged their shoulders. In 2000, I was finally diagnosed and given pain and sleep medication to control the symptoms. At this point I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. When I finally climbed out of the hole, I wasn't content with just "controlling" the symptoms with medication. Yes, it put me to sleep the 1st week and made things worse but the guaifenesin worked very gradually, and over time I began to improve. This is NOT an instant fix. or cure. It takes months and even years. Over the past 16 years I have stopped taking Guaifenesin 3 times and each time I have been slammed with pain within a few weeks. The lesson is just keep taking it."

Brenda501 (taken for 10 years or more) February 16, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I have been using Guaifenesen for 10 years now. Like my Doctor said, I had initial relief, then cycled between feeling worse and better, and now my CFS / Fibro is much milder than it was. I avoid Salicylates, but accidental exposure isn't a disaster, since I am not a strong blocker. For me, it works best just before or just after mild exercise, like a 1 mile walk to work, or mowing the lawn. I take 1/4 of a COSTCO 400 mg. Tablet whenever I feel Fibro pain, or before anticipated exercise, or after unexpected exercise."

Jefflem (taken for 10 years or more) January 7, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I have been taking this medicine for 2-3 months now and although amazing results for my condition I have had constant kidney infections. I normally have no probs there so although it's amazing I have to stop taking it. Please be aware anyone that takes it!"

Ju-drop January 3, 2016

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "I would give this a zero out of ten if it was possible. I rarely get sick but I have been having a lot of trouble with a runny nose and coughing up mucus. This "medicine" doesn't do anything. Not only does it taste terrible but it's useless. Followed instructions and I'm on day 7 with the same problems. Avoid this stuff"

sy91 (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I started a store brand guaifenisin three months ago 600mg extended release 2x a day for the fibromyalgia. Within two weeks, the extreme muscle cramps in my legs, feet and torso had decreased by 95%. Now that I have been taking this for three months, my IBS symptoms have decreased. I follow the salicylate protocol meaning no aspirin or related products and have changed my toothpaste and facial products to eliminate those that might negate the guaifenisin. Have also eliminated any herbal supplements to give this a try."

elmack (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I've been in the Guaifenesin protocol for over 2 years. It's given me my life back. It's not a quick fix or a cure but it reverses the symptoms."

Carmen Slater December 2, 2015

For Cough: "helped a bit"

TUCKERDB (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "One of the best thing for coughs. The Mucinex DX green does a great job of thinning mucus as well as stopping cough. The blue is good for colds and allergies without cough. I prefer the 600 mg tables. For me, they wear off after five hours. Take with a lot of water. The more water the better it works. 16ozs every 90 minutes makes it work the best."

EricfromNC (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2015

Liqufruta Garlic Cough Medicine (guaifenesin) for Cough: "Best cough medicine ever! Fantastic taste too."

Bert the Cert November 12, 2015

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "I swear by this stuff. (I'm talking about Musinex's version of TheraFlu, it's fairly new-maybe last year it was put on the shelves) I have tried nearly every cold remedy in the history of the world from teas to drugs to more wholesome remedies but nothing has actually ever worked. This stuff actually reduces the duration of my colds and the severity of colds within the first day. Drink it in the morning and once before bed and you should be golden in 2 days. I'm more of that summertime cold-getter and it works like magic every time."

HaleyR October 28, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I am a retired nurse. I have done all of the 'research' regarding the Guaifenesin for Fibromyalgia treatment. I was diagnosed a year ago with this painful, awful disease and am unable to tolerate any of the prescribed medication available. After a friend literally stumbled upon her Mucenex treatment - having an upper respiratory infection and her Fibro pain subsided! I started on the Guaifenesin only at 600 mg a day. Not only did my pain ease up immediately - my mucous level is lower and I am confident that this will help my C.O.P.D. because I am breathing better. (Oxygen dependent at night) This OTC treatment has relieved my pain by 80%. I am sleeping better and moving easier. This works and has changed my life and attitude."

Robbiesfine777 October 19, 2015