User Reviews for Guaifenesin

Also known as: Actifed CC Chesty Cough, Air Power, Allfen Jr, Altarussin, Altorant, Amibid LA, Anti-Tuss, Aquamist, Balminil Expectorant, Beechams Veno's Expectorant, Beechams Veno's for Kids Chesty Cough, Benadryl Chesty Forte, Benylin E, Bidex-400, Breonesin, ...show all 119 brand names

Learn more about Guaifenesin.

Fibromyalgia 72 reviews 20 medications

8.1
Bronchitis 33 reviews 287 medications

7.8
Cough 49 reviews 790 medications

6.6
Summary of Guaifenesin reviews 154 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Guaifenesin

For Cough: "I took mucinex when I had a really nasty chest cold . Medicine worked great except for the fact that I'm allergic to guaifenesin . I didn't know that at the time . I had really horrible chest and upper shoulder pain . Also rapid heart beat . I felt like I was dying. It lasted for about 20 min and then everything was normal again ."

Jackie80f July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "Tried several consecutive doses of guaifenesin syrup as an expectorant in the later stages of a cold. It may have lessened coughing slightly for a couple of hours after each dose (hard to tell). Definitely no detectable effect on the amount or consistency of the mucus I coughed up. But the syrup does taste very much like medicine, so the placebo effect is great!"

John Spluddle (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "After one dose of mucinex, I experienced muscle cramps of my legs all night long,, the worst cramps of lower extremities I have ever had.."

SAGEROONI (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "I took one and I feel like I'm high. I am so dizzy I can't see straight I feel like I'm floating. There is no way am I taking this again."

Super dizzy never again May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: "I'm not sure mucinex works. I know it kept me wide awake. It was hard for me to sleep. When I was awake, In felt like my balance was off, so I felt dizzy. U couldn't go down spiral steps. I would not recommend it. "

Jesus Child April 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I began with a sudden onset of mild, moving to severe lung congestion. I hacked and coughed so hard that I would gag. It wouldn't loosen or become what Dr. 's call productive no matter what OTC cough medicine I took. My Dr then put me on Guaifenesin and literally after the 1st dose, I could cough the gunk in my lungs up and out. I could actually lay flat again without chest pain and coughing fits. I noticed something else.... I have Fibromyalgia and was diagnosed in 1992. Idk if it was a coincidence or not, but my Fibro pain lessened!? I called my Rhuematologist and told him and he told me this was NOT a coincidence at all, and they used this medication as FM treatment years ago with success! I will forever take 600 mg!!"

Mama knows (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "Mucinex DM worked as advertised. It gets the job done after about 3-4 days of taking it."

Anthony M (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Fenesin IR (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: "Disclosure: This is just one person's experience. As such It does not have any scientific validity. However, I hope some scientists will consider some actual research on this. I have been taking Guaifenesin in 400 or 600 mg tablets at the first sign of a cold, and my frequency and duration of colds has decreased from several a year to one or less. I am 68 years old, and in general good health. Your results may not be the same. Remember, one person's claims/results are pretty close to meaningless from a scientific research viewpoint."

nightwatchrenband (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "My right foot has been extremely painful for the last 10 years. I realized there were days when I limped quite a bit. Friends started telling me, even on days when I thought I was walking normally, "I didn't know you were limping". I blame my foot pain on playing racquetball for 20 years. Finally had to quit. Recently I had a cold which is now just clearing up. I began taking 400 mg of Guaifenesin yesterday. I took one during the day and one at bedtime. This morning I stopped at the grocery. When I got out of the car I immediately noticed that the pain in my foot was gone. I remember saying to myself, as I walked into the grocery store, "what is this with my foot? It feels like it did over 10 years ago." I was able to run on it. Amazing!"

djdave (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "Gave me diarrhea, dizziness, nausea, stomach cramps, and even some numbness in tongue/face. Worse than the cough. Never again."

Jo731 January 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex Maximum Strength (guaifenesin) for Cough: "Have COPD and am taking this for mucus and cough every 4 hours. Can't swallow pill so taking liquid. The taste is so strong it sometimes makes me cough forever. Can a small amount of water be added to dose?"

zelta January 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "The doctor gave me a sample of this when I complained of congestion. I took two tablets, which may have been too much since I developed the runs. I'll try it again, but only one tablet. Or, I may just get Robitussin since the doctor said that Mucinex is a magnified version of Robitussin."

CongestedKelley December 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: "Mucinex worked like a charm for me. When it ran out, I made the mistake of waiting a few days before I went out and got some more!!! Since I have Chronic Bronchitis, I will always have this medicine on hand. I had to see a doctor before taking it, since I am taking other medications, and had to make sure there would not be any dangerous interactions. This medicine is a wonder drug for me. I have now quit smoking, and am using nicotine gum. If your Bronchitis is caused by smoking, you also need to quit. The nicotine gum will keep your nerves calm, and that way you won't have to quit cold turkey. When on the gum, you can take care of the psychological withdrawls, and later take care of the physical withdrawls. Not both at same time."

pcworkman (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex Maximum Strength (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: "This medicine doesn't work for me well... it made my nose more stuffy, dried my throat out, and kept me up... everytime I tried to sleep I would wake up coughing and feeling nausea and it seems to produce more mucus... drink lots of water!! seriously ..! But this will be my last time taking mucinex its not for everybody and its defintely not for me"

ashantee (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "I had intense hip pains and muscle tightness for months and started to use Mucinex because of my cold. After taking it, I kept telling my wife that my hip is feeling better and better. I researched for ingredient in Mucinex and found guaifenesin. There were so many FM comments in the blog that I thought I was reading a wrong section. Been taking 600 mg of guaifenesin three times a day and my pains have subsided about 95% in just 2 days! I don't like taking any kind of drugs and will experiment with a lower dosage and what works for me. I actually stopped taking my dosage one day and the hip pain started to present itself again. Back on guaifenesin and pain subsided dramatically!"

Racquetballdoctor November 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "I had a bad chest infection and even after potent antibiotics took care of the infection I had a rattling cough and low grade fever My doctor Rxd Mucinex and I could not believe how well it broke up the congestion in my chest, made it easier for me to cough it all up As a result I finally got rid of the low grade fever also Finally, Guafenesin has been around forever as a remedy for fibromyalgia"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "Not long after taking my first dose of extra strength benylin for a persistant cold/respiratory infection, I became so dizzy I couldn't stand up and had to lie down. I closed my eyes and nodded off and woke up a while later feeling a little woozy but not dizzy. My head hurt the rest of the day. Did seem to help bringing up phlegm that afternoon. I think I would take a half dose next time."

Kweh (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "With 4 days of therapy of 2400 mg a day I can totally feel the difference, my muscles are not sore and swollen, I feel like a different person ! This is amazing! I am very happy because I think that I can make it through the day without narcotics ! Iif this continues to work , I will able to stop going to the pain clinic and do more activities that I have only dreamed about ."

Ronda Sparks October 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "This doesnt help at all I bought it or 4 yr old daughter and each time she took it the cough worsened I wouldn't recommend it to anyone."

All12 September 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Liqufruta Garlic Cough Medicine (guaifenesin) for Cough: "I've been using this since I was a child for relief of coughs and colds. It really is the best cough medicine ever!"

Micielo September 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "Saved my life because I didn't want to live like that. On my 20th year , 1996. It's life long treatment , not a cure , but symptom free in five years."

BigBadBobTwo September 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "The Guaifenesin protocol has helped me beyond all belief. Before I found Guaifenesin, I was mentally incapacitated and was ridden with pain. I experienced a neck injury by lifting my handicapped mother who has a debilitating disease. Seconds after the injury, all of my Fibromyalgia symptoms surfaced. After finding a support group, I started on Guaifenesin, the miracle drug, 6 months after my injury. Without this drug, I would not be able to live a "normal" life. I immediately started on the road to recovery. It was a slow process but gradually improved my symptoms. Now, 16 years later, I can honestly say that Guaifenesin has given me my life back."

bigfoot16m (taken for 10 years or more) August 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "I had excessive join pain, gastrointestinal issues, and had severe depression. After a 2 year Guaifenesin program and avoiding 100% of all Salicylates for the past 13 years, I am 100% Free of ALL Fibromyalgia symptoms for over 13 years. At any time in the past 13 years, however, if I so much as consume a Mojito, chew mint gum, use mint toothpaste, or use ANY salicylate, my joint pains reappear within 20 minutes. Be sure to ALWAYS check EVERY Product that you consume or use on your scalp or skin. Use Laundry Detergents and dryer sheets with No Dyes and No Perfumes. Generic products with No Dyes and No Perfumes are perfect. Several "Hypoallergenic" eye make-up brands are NOT hypoallergenic any longer and have caused rashes."

St. George August 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "I have been using guaifenesin as a treatment for the reversal of fibromyalgia symptoms for 4 years. As an RN, I was very skeptical since there aren't any positive studies done for this purpose. I had suffered with fibromyalgia symptoms for 12 years, was nearly bed bound, and was researching electric scooters. After relocating to Hawaii, I met an RN who leads a fibromyalgia support group focusing on utilization of guaifenesin. Having nothing to lose by trying this treatment, and trusting a fellow RN, I began the protocol. 4 years later I'm walking a mile daily, cleaning my own home, engaging in multiple craft activities (ceramics, sewing, painting, and gardening), swimming, and enjoying life again. This has given my life back."

lemonlocks (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "I have been on guaifenesin for almost 20 years using the protocol that Dr. St. Amand founded. It has been a life saver for me as I was able to get my health and stamina back in shape by closely following his instructions and recommendations. I was able to maintain my executive working position and later was able to be a caregiver for two family members. I highly recommend this drug and protocol."

JeriLynK August 14, 2016