User Reviews for Guaifenesin

Also known as: Actifed CC Chesty Cough, Air Power, Allfen Jr, Altarussin, Altorant, Amibid LA, Anti-Tuss, Aquamist, Balminil Expectorant, Beechams Veno's Expectorant, Beechams Veno's for Kids Chesty Cough, Benadryl Chesty Forte, Benylin E, Bidex-400, Breonesin, ...show all 119 brand names

Learn more about Guaifenesin.

Fibromyalgia 71 reviews 20 medications

8.1
Bronchitis 31 reviews 287 medications

Cough 43 reviews 788 medications

6.8
Summary of Guaifenesin reviews 145 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Guaifenesin

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "Gave me diarrhea, dizziness, nausea, stomach cramps, and even some numbness in tongue/face. Worse than the cough. Never again."

Jo731 January 15, 2017

Mucinex Maximum Strength (guaifenesin) for Cough: "Have COPD and am taking this for mucus and cough every 4 hours. Can't swallow pill so taking liquid. The taste is so strong it sometimes makes me cough forever. Can a small amount of water be added to dose?"

zelta January 4, 2017

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "The doctor gave me a sample of this when I complained of congestion. I took two tablets, which may have been too much since I developed the runs. I'll try it again, but only one tablet. Or, I may just get Robitussin since the doctor said that Mucinex is a magnified version of Robitussin."

CongestedKelley December 23, 2016

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: "Mucinex worked like a charm for me. When it ran out, I made the mistake of waiting a few days before I went out and got some more!!! Since I have Chronic Bronchitis, I will always have this medicine on hand. I had to see a doctor before taking it, since I am taking other medications, and had to make sure there would not be any dangerous interactions. This medicine is a wonder drug for me. I have now quit smoking, and am using nicotine gum. If your Bronchitis is caused by smoking, you also need to quit. The nicotine gum will keep your nerves calm, and that way you won't have to quit cold turkey. When on the gum, you can take care of the psychological withdrawls, and later take care of the physical withdrawls. Not both at same time."

pcworkman (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2016

Mucinex Maximum Strength (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: "This medicine doesn't work for me well... it made my nose more stuffy, dried my throat out, and kept me up... everytime I tried to sleep I would wake up coughing and feeling nausea and it seems to produce more mucus... drink lots of water!! seriously ..! But this will be my last time taking mucinex its not for everybody and its defintely not for me"

ashantee (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I had intense hip pains and muscle tightness for months and started to use Mucinex because of my cold. After taking it, I kept telling my wife that my hip is feeling better and better. I researched for ingredient in Mucinex and found guaifenesin. There were so many FM comments in the blog that I thought I was reading a wrong section. Been taking 600 mg of guaifenesin three times a day and my pains have subsided about 95% in just 2 days! I don't like taking any kind of drugs and will experiment with a lower dosage and what works for me. I actually stopped taking my dosage one day and the hip pain started to present itself again. Back on guaifenesin and pain subsided dramatically!"

Racquetballdoctor November 3, 2016

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "I had a bad chest infection and even after potent antibiotics took care of the infection I had a rattling cough and low grade fever My doctor Rxd Mucinex and I could not believe how well it broke up the congestion in my chest, made it easier for me to cough it all up As a result I finally got rid of the low grade fever also Finally, Guafenesin has been around forever as a remedy for fibromyalgia"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2016

For Cough: "Not long after taking my first dose of extra strength benylin for a persistant cold/respiratory infection, I became so dizzy I couldn't stand up and had to lie down. I closed my eyes and nodded off and woke up a while later feeling a little woozy but not dizzy. My head hurt the rest of the day. Did seem to help bringing up phlegm that afternoon. I think I would take a half dose next time."

Kweh (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "With 4 days of therapy of 2400 mg a day I can totally feel the difference, my muscles are not sore and swollen, I feel like a different person ! This is amazing! I am very happy because I think that I can make it through the day without narcotics ! Iif this continues to work , I will able to stop going to the pain clinic and do more activities that I have only dreamed about ."

Ronda Sparks October 5, 2016

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "This doesnt help at all I bought it or 4 yr old daughter and each time she took it the cough worsened I wouldn't recommend it to anyone."

All12 September 26, 2016

Liqufruta Garlic Cough Medicine (guaifenesin) for Cough: "I've been using this since I was a child for relief of coughs and colds. It really is the best cough medicine ever!"

Micielo September 21, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "Saved my life because I didn't want to live like that. On my 20th year , 1996. It's life long treatment , not a cure , but symptom free in five years."

BigBadBobTwo September 1, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "The Guaifenesin protocol has helped me beyond all belief. Before I found Guaifenesin, I was mentally incapacitated and was ridden with pain. I experienced a neck injury by lifting my handicapped mother who has a debilitating disease. Seconds after the injury, all of my Fibromyalgia symptoms surfaced. After finding a support group, I started on Guaifenesin, the miracle drug, 6 months after my injury. Without this drug, I would not be able to live a "normal" life. I immediately started on the road to recovery. It was a slow process but gradually improved my symptoms. Now, 16 years later, I can honestly say that Guaifenesin has given me my life back."

bigfoot16m (taken for 10 years or more) August 24, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I had excessive join pain, gastrointestinal issues, and had severe depression. After a 2 year Guaifenesin program and avoiding 100% of all Salicylates for the past 13 years, I am 100% Free of ALL Fibromyalgia symptoms for over 13 years. At any time in the past 13 years, however, if I so much as consume a Mojito, chew mint gum, use mint toothpaste, or use ANY salicylate, my joint pains reappear within 20 minutes. Be sure to ALWAYS check EVERY Product that you consume or use on your scalp or skin. Use Laundry Detergents and dryer sheets with No Dyes and No Perfumes. Generic products with No Dyes and No Perfumes are perfect. Several "Hypoallergenic" eye make-up brands are NOT hypoallergenic any longer and have caused rashes."

St. George August 15, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I have been using guaifenesin as a treatment for the reversal of fibromyalgia symptoms for 4 years. As an RN, I was very skeptical since there aren't any positive studies done for this purpose. I had suffered with fibromyalgia symptoms for 12 years, was nearly bed bound, and was researching electric scooters. After relocating to Hawaii, I met an RN who leads a fibromyalgia support group focusing on utilization of guaifenesin. Having nothing to lose by trying this treatment, and trusting a fellow RN, I began the protocol. 4 years later I'm walking a mile daily, cleaning my own home, engaging in multiple craft activities (ceramics, sewing, painting, and gardening), swimming, and enjoying life again. This has given my life back."

lemonlocks (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 15, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I have been on guaifenesin for almost 20 years using the protocol that Dr. St. Amand founded. It has been a life saver for me as I was able to get my health and stamina back in shape by closely following his instructions and recommendations. I was able to maintain my executive working position and later was able to be a caregiver for two family members. I highly recommend this drug and protocol."

JeriLynK August 14, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I have been using guaifenesin to treat my fibromyalgia since 2001, strictly following the book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia" by Dr. R. Paul St. Amand. Initially it was all by prescription, then there was otc Mucinex which didn't seem to work as well. I have since been on the plain white Guaifenesin 600mg tablets sold under different brand names such as CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Target manufactured by Perrigo and they have been most effective. I now run a support group in Hawaii and have seen 100's get well by using guaifenesin. Please check into it: www.fibromyalgiahawaii.com Don't let an old flawed study of over 25year ago stop you from looking into it. You only have your life to gain back! We are proof!"

mspuna August 13, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I use 600mg of guaifenesin twice a day as part of the Guaifenesin Protocol as outlined in the book "What Your Doctor May NOT Tell You About Fibromyalgia." I also avoid topical and dental salicylates (also in the book) and I have begun the process of reversing my fibromyalgia symptoms by expelling the excess phosphates from my system which contribute to my fibro pain (please read the aforementioned book to get the complete description of the mechanism for this). Guaifenesin is the only thing that has ever worked on my insomnia (suffered for over 40 years of sleep issues) and now I can get good quality sleep! I have had no bad side effects and guaifenesin has no interaction with other drugs. But I don't need any drugs for pain or fibro!"

kspeaker67 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 12, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "Gone ate daily headaches, skin has cleared up, stabbing pains in hips and lower back are gone, restless leg syndrome gone, pins and needles in feet gone, muscle pain in legs from a daily seven on the pain scale to a two. Foggy brain very much improved. Severe fatigue almost non-existent. I'm exercising for the first time in two years and very grateful."

Grateful In Wisconsin (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "It has reversed my Fibro symptoms to a level that allows me to have some of my life back."

THEQueenBeeyatch1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 12, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "The ONLY thing that works for my type of FM which is caused by the buildup of calcium/phosphate"

Hope00 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 16, 2016

For Cough: "Did not thin out mucus of cough from severe sinus infection Did make me bring it up though"

bunnee1934 June 6, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I tried Mucinex about 6 years ago, but decided it didn't work after only a week of use. About 8 months ago I started taking Mucinex because I developed a chronic cough (M.D. feels it is due to allergies/sinus drip), and after 3 weeks, I suddenly noticed every cell in my body no longer hurt. Yes, I still have neck and low back pain, but that is unrelated to fibromyalgia. The fibromyalgia pain has decreased by about 75-80% (deep tissue is still sensitive if tested). I take 12mg Mucinex DM before bed. Both my physician and pharmacist approve. None of the prescribed meds worked and none were without side effect. Sometimes I take a generic, but mostly I stick to Mucinex. I am so grateful to have relief after so many years of suffering."

Jane Grapes (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2016

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "I took this attempting to get rid of a cough and chest congestion. I am a 105lb 30 year old female. I took one pill yesterday and felt a little better. That was a half does so today I tried 2 pills, a full dose. After feeling nauseous for several hours I finally threw up several times and am feeling much better. I will not be taking it again, and would rather allow the congestion to run its course."

Puppyloveg (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2016

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "I was suffering from a severe virus-caused sore throat with terrible coughing. My PCP advised me to take Mucinex but at substantially greater dosage than the package recommends. I did so for about 3-4 weeks. The medication did help relieve my coughing, but it interfered so badly with my sleep that I had to discontinue taking it. I notice that other people have experienced sleep problems with Mucinex. There should be a warning about this on the package label."

Captain Jerry May 15, 2016