User Reviews for Guaifenesin

Also known as: Actifed CC Chesty Cough, Air Power, Allfen Jr, Altarussin, Altorant, Amibid LA, Anti-Tuss, Aquamist, Balminil Expectorant, Beechams Veno's Expectorant, Beechams Veno's for Kids Chesty Cough, Benadryl Chesty Forte, Benylin E, Bidex-400, Breonesin, Bronchoril, Buckley's Chest Congestion, Calmylin Expectorant, Diabetic Expectorant, Diabetic Tuss, Diabetic Tussin Mucus Relief, Dristan Chesty Cough, Dristan Chesty Cough Guaiphenesin, Drituss G, Duratuss G, Family Meltus Chesty Coughs, Fenesin, Fenesin IR, Fenex-LA, G Bid, Ganidin NR, Genatuss, GG 200 NR, GG-Cen, Glytuss, Gua-SR, Guaiatussin, Guaibid-LA, Guaifen NR, Guaifenesin LA, Guaifenex G, Guaifenex LA, Guiacough, Guiadrine G-1200, Guiatuss, Halotussin, Help I Have Chest Congestion, Hill's Balsam Chesty Cough, Humavent LA, Humibid, Humibid E, Humibid Pediatric, Humigen LA, Hytuss, Iodrol NR, Iofen, Iofen-NF, Iophen NR, Jackson's Extra Strength All Fours, Jackson's The Original All Fours, Junior Meltus Chesty Coughs with Catarrh, Junior Meltus Colour and Sugar Free Expectorant, Kenkay Chesty Cough Eexpectorant, Lemsip Cough Chesty, Liqufruta Garlic Cough Medicine, Liquibid, Liquidbid 1200, Liquidbid LA, Liquituss GG, Lloydspharmacy Expectorant Adult Cough, Lloydspharmacy Expectorant Junior Cough, Lotussin, Mastussin, Mucaplex, Mucinex, Mucinex Children's Chest Congestion, Mucinex for Kids, Mucinex Maximum Strength, Muco-Fen, Muco-Fen 1200, Muco-Fen 800, Muco-Fen LA, Mucobid-LA, Mucus Relief, Mytussin, Naldecon-EX Senior, Nirolex Chesty Cough, Nyal Chesty Cough, Organ-1 NR, Organidin NR, Phanasin, Pharmacist Expectorant, Pneumomist, Q-Bid LA, Q-Tussin, Refenesen Chest Congestion Relief, Respa-GF, Ri-Tussin, Robafen, Robichem, Robitussin Chest Congestion, Robitussin Mucus + Chest Congestion, Scot-Tussin Expectorant, Siltuss DAS, Siltussin, Siltussin DAS, Siltussin DAS-NA, Sinumist, Sorbutuss, Strepsils Chesty Cough, T-Tussin, TabTussin 400, Tixylix Chesty Cough, Touro EX, Tusscidin, Tussin, Tussin Expectorant, Tussin Mucus + Chest Congestion, Xpect …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Guaifenesin.

Fibromyalgia
8.2

Bronchitis
7.7

Cough
6.7

Summary of Guaifenesin reviews 7.5 165 reviews

Reviews for Guaifenesin

For Fibromyalgia: "Following 6 months of chronic pain and fatigue, I was finally diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in September 2017. I'm a 19 year old male. I was bed ridden and felt my life was over. I found the Guaifenesin Protocol after many hours of Google Research. It works exactly as it says. I was completely pain and fatigue free for 3 days after the 4th day of taking it. I spiralled back into it until about a week ago. I am completely pain and fatigue free. I'm getting my life back. Thank goodness for Dr. St. Armand's Protocol. It seriously works!"

Fibrobegone (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "I had been a healthy active male with no previous health issues. In 2000 I experienced a very minor injury which all on its own progressed until all of my muscles, tendons, and deep tissues were wracked with pain...10/10. I could not sleep for more than a few hours and I could not stay awake for more than a few hours. My life was destroyed. After prolonged testing I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Amitryptaline only masked the pain, but I've had to increase the dosage over the years and the fogginess in my head was terrible. A month ago I tried Mucinex 2x/day and the pain and fatigue and fog have since evaporated! I can run long distance again!!! No pain; no fatigue. I feel like Rip VanWinkle...where did the last 16 years go?"

CraigL November 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: "Jayce Wyatt My chronic bronchitis started out with post-nasal drip and a cough and I felt tired and turned in early. The next day the cough got worse and I felt lousy, so I called in sick. I felt steadily worse for another day, then on day three the fever started, and I couldn't sleep for more than an hour or so at a time for a whole week. When I went to the doctor I was given a Z-Pak, albuterol inhaler (the only thing that did me any good), oral steroids, cough pearls which didn't do any good, and was told to take Mucinex. In all, the fever lasted six days. I coughed so much I hurt my back and ended up in the emergency room because my back went into such spasms I couldn't move without extreme pain. They shot me full of morphine."

jaycewwe November 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis: "I have ferocious allergies to all kinds of plants, mould, dust, etc. One of my most annoying symptoms is drainage in the back of my throat. Taking benadryl or some other "drying" agent results in the drainage forming into a very unpleasant glob on the top of my soft palate, which can be very difficult to dislodge. My allergist's RN recommended guaifenesin for the problem, and it works wonders. Specifically, it tends to keep the drainage more liquid, making it easier to expel (although getting it out still sounds quite gross ...)"

Zeke37 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "Out of a dozen over the counter and homebrew/natural remedies for persistent cough (which lasted well after any other symptoms of the cold virus/mild flu that I experienced a month or more ago) that I tried, Mucinex DM is the only one to give me any real relief from an urge to cough thru the day. I sleep just fine but don't feel anything like post nasal drip, or acid reflux or any obvious culprit. I did go to the clinic that I could afford to, got a shot, an inhaler and an antibiotics script. That worked a bit, for about a week, but when the cough came back, Mucinex did just about the same job. Not a perfect solution by any means but when I compared it to the other brands of things tried it was fine"

AnonymousScott October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "One dose of mucinex w quanafenisin, pain 75% gone next morning, most days I can nearly get out of bed. This works for fibromyalgia, I've had for 17 yrs. I don't know why it helps! But nothing else has!!"

lisapet777 October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: "I had tried this product in 2005.... and it was not effective. So I gave it another chance to so call redeem itself. Well, this is definitely not for me, it made me feel worst, I developed a headache"

Choo Indigo October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "I had a Cough, runny nose, allergies, Then lungs got congested and major wheezing. Normally I will just take cetirizine when its allergy season, but this time my chest was in play. I looked all over the house for my bottle of Mucinex. Couldn't find it. I suffered for a couple of days with a nasty cough and gook in my lungs trying to sleep and make it through the day. After realizing I left it at our 2nd home I headed for the store. Bought the 1200mg time release (1st time), usually, I would get the 600mg. Within an hour the wheezing stopped. I am writing this comment because it works fabulously for me. I have told many of my friends and it has worked for them. Not one complaint. When I have chest congestion I will always take Mucinex. It truly works. For those that say it doesn't work, I find that hard to believe."

Matteo B (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "I have taken Mucinex for many years with no ill effects, but during this latest bout with chest congestion, when I took it , each of the three times, I experienced horrible, horrible nightmares. My adult daughter had a similar experience when taking it a few months ago. Was this a new "batch" of ingredients or were alternatives used? I have no idea what might have caused this reaction, but I am very wary of trying it again."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "I have osteoarthritis of the spine and have severe muscle aches and pains all day long and worse at night. I find that when I take 10ml of robutussin chest cough mixtureIi am pain free for the day. Another 10ml guarantees a good night sleep. Though not confirmed I suspect I have fibromyalgia...in addition to the osteoarthritis."

Asabus (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "I used the guaifenesin protocol for about a year, and completely reversed all fibro symptoms. My fibro symptoms occurred very rapidly, and I noticed that the change seemed to occur about the time I began applying those wonderfully scented lotions/potions to my skin nightly from places like Bath and Beauty, etc. I started researching and began the protocol after reading the book. I was completely better within a year, I would guess. I have stopped using Guaifenesin for 3-4 years now and have no recurring problems. I think I swamped my system so fast with salicilate products, and all those ingredients on the "do not use" list, that it was easy for me to quickly remove them from the lumps I had mapped by a specialist."

Sandra L. M (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I took mucinex when I had a really nasty chest cold . Medicine worked great except for the fact that I'm allergic to guaifenesin . I didn't know that at the time . I had really horrible chest and upper shoulder pain . Also rapid heart beat . I felt like I was dying. It lasted for about 20 min and then everything was normal again ."

Jackie80f July 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "Tried several consecutive doses of guaifenesin syrup as an expectorant in the later stages of a cold. It may have lessened coughing slightly for a couple of hours after each dose (hard to tell). Definitely no detectable effect on the amount or consistency of the mucus I coughed up. But the syrup does taste very much like medicine, so the placebo effect is great!"

John Spluddle (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "After one dose of mucinex, I experienced muscle cramps of my legs all night long,, the worst cramps of lower extremities I have ever had.."

SAGEROONI (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "I took one and I feel like I'm high. I am so dizzy I can't see straight I feel like I'm floating. There is no way am I taking this again."

Super dizzy never again May 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: "I'm not sure mucinex works. I know it kept me wide awake. It was hard for me to sleep. When I was awake, In felt like my balance was off, so I felt dizzy. U couldn't go down spiral steps. I would not recommend it. "

Jesus Child April 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I began with a sudden onset of mild, moving to severe lung congestion. I hacked and coughed so hard that I would gag. It wouldn't loosen or become what Dr. 's call productive no matter what OTC cough medicine I took. My Dr then put me on Guaifenesin and literally after the 1st dose, I could cough the gunk in my lungs up and out. I could actually lay flat again without chest pain and coughing fits. I noticed something else.... I have Fibromyalgia and was diagnosed in 1992. Idk if it was a coincidence or not, but my Fibro pain lessened!? I called my Rhuematologist and told him and he told me this was NOT a coincidence at all, and they used this medication as FM treatment years ago with success! I will forever take 600 mg!!"

Mama knows (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "Mucinex DM worked as advertised. It gets the job done after about 3-4 days of taking it."

Anthony M (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Fenesin IR (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: "Disclosure: This is just one person's experience. As such It does not have any scientific validity. However, I hope some scientists will consider some actual research on this. I have been taking Guaifenesin in 400 or 600 mg tablets at the first sign of a cold, and my frequency and duration of colds has decreased from several a year to one or less. I am 68 years old, and in general good health. Your results may not be the same. Remember, one person's claims/results are pretty close to meaningless from a scientific research viewpoint."

nightwatchrenband (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "My right foot has been extremely painful for the last 10 years. I realized there were days when I limped quite a bit. Friends started telling me, even on days when I thought I was walking normally, "I didn't know you were limping". I blame my foot pain on playing racquetball for 20 years. Finally had to quit. Recently I had a cold which is now just clearing up. I began taking 400 mg of Guaifenesin yesterday. I took one during the day and one at bedtime. This morning I stopped at the grocery. When I got out of the car I immediately noticed that the pain in my foot was gone. I remember saying to myself, as I walked into the grocery store, "what is this with my foot? It feels like it did over 10 years ago." I was able to run on it. Amazing!"

djdave (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "Gave me diarrhea, dizziness, nausea, stomach cramps, and even some numbness in tongue/face. Worse than the cough. Never again."

Jo731 January 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex Maximum Strength (guaifenesin) for Cough: "Have COPD and am taking this for mucus and cough every 4 hours. Can't swallow pill so taking liquid. The taste is so strong it sometimes makes me cough forever. Can a small amount of water be added to dose?"

zelta January 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "The doctor gave me a sample of this when I complained of congestion. I took two tablets, which may have been too much since I developed the runs. I'll try it again, but only one tablet. Or, I may just get Robitussin since the doctor said that Mucinex is a magnified version of Robitussin."

CongestedKelley December 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: "Mucinex worked like a charm for me. When it ran out, I made the mistake of waiting a few days before I went out and got some more!!! Since I have Chronic Bronchitis, I will always have this medicine on hand. I had to see a doctor before taking it, since I am taking other medications, and had to make sure there would not be any dangerous interactions. This medicine is a wonder drug for me. I have now quit smoking, and am using nicotine gum. If your Bronchitis is caused by smoking, you also need to quit. The nicotine gum will keep your nerves calm, and that way you won't have to quit cold turkey. When on the gum, you can take care of the psychological withdrawls, and later take care of the physical withdrawls. Not both at same time."

pcworkman (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mucinex Maximum Strength (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: "This medicine doesn't work for me well... it made my nose more stuffy, dried my throat out, and kept me up... everytime I tried to sleep I would wake up coughing and feeling nausea and it seems to produce more mucus... drink lots of water!! seriously ..! But this will be my last time taking mucinex its not for everybody and its defintely not for me"

ashantee (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2016