User Reviews for Guaifenesin

Also known as: Actifed CC Chesty Cough, Air Power, Allfen Jr, Altarussin, Altorant, Amibid LA, Anti-Tuss, Aquamist, Balminil Expectorant, Beechams Veno's Expectorant, Beechams Veno's for Kids Chesty Cough, Benadryl Chesty Forte, Benylin E, Bidex-400, Breonesin, ...show all 118 brand names

Learn more about Guaifenesin.

Fibromyalgia 68 reviews 20 medications

8.1
Bronchitis 29 reviews 285 medications

Cough 36 reviews 784 medications

6.9
Summary of Guaifenesin reviews 133 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Guaifenesin

For Fibromyalgia: "The Guaifenesin protocol has helped me beyond all belief. Before I found Guaifenesin, I was mentally incapacitated and was ridden with pain. I experienced a neck injury by lifting my handicapped mother who has a debilitating disease. Seconds after the injury, all of my Fibromyalgia symptoms surfaced. After finding a support group, I started on Guaifenesin, the miracle drug, 6 months after my injury. Without this drug, I would not be able to live a "normal" life. I immediately started on the road to recovery. It was a slow process but gradually improved my symptoms. Now, 16 years later, I can honestly say that Guaifenesin has given me my life back."

bigfoot16m (taken for 10 years or more) August 24, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I had excessive join pain, gastrointestinal issues, and had severe depression. After a 2 year Guaifenesin program and avoiding 100% of all Salicylates for the past 13 years, I am 100% Free of ALL Fibromyalgia symptoms for over 13 years. At any time in the past 13 years, however, if I so much as consume a Mojito, chew mint gum, use mint toothpaste, or use ANY salicylate, my joint pains reappear within 20 minutes. Be sure to ALWAYS check EVERY Product that you consume or use on your scalp or skin. Use Laundry Detergents and dryer sheets with No Dyes and No Perfumes. Generic products with No Dyes and No Perfumes are perfect. Several "Hypoallergenic" eye make-up brands are NOT hypoallergenic any longer and have caused rashes."

St. George August 15, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I have been using guaifenesin as a treatment for the reversal of fibromyalgia symptoms for 4 years. As an RN, I was very skeptical since there aren't any positive studies done for this purpose. I had suffered with fibromyalgia symptoms for 12 years, was nearly bed bound, and was researching electric scooters. After relocating to Hawaii, I met an RN who leads a fibromyalgia support group focusing on utilization of guaifenesin. Having nothing to lose by trying this treatment, and trusting a fellow RN, I began the protocol. 4 years later I'm walking a mile daily, cleaning my own home, engaging in multiple craft activities (ceramics, sewing, painting, and gardening), swimming, and enjoying life again. This has given my life back."

lemonlocks (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 15, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I have been on guaifenesin for almost 20 years using the protocol that Dr. St. Amand founded. It has been a life saver for me as I was able to get my health and stamina back in shape by closely following his instructions and recommendations. I was able to maintain my executive working position and later was able to be a caregiver for two family members. I highly recommend this drug and protocol."

JeriLynK August 14, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I have been using guaifenesin to treat my fibromyalgia since 2001, strictly following the book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia" by Dr. R. Paul St. Amand. Initially it was all by prescription, then there was otc Mucinex which didn't seem to work as well. I have since been on the plain white Guaifenesin 600mg tablets sold under different brand names such as CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Target manufactured by Perrigo and they have been most effective. I now run a support group in Hawaii and have seen 100's get well by using guaifenesin. Please check into it: www.fibromyalgiahawaii.com Don't let an old flawed study of over 25year ago stop you from looking into it. You only have your life to gain back! We are proof!"

mspuna August 13, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I use 600mg of guaifenesin twice a day as part of the Guaifenesin Protocol as outlined in the book "What Your Doctor May NOT Tell You About Fibromyalgia." I also avoid topical and dental salicylates (also in the book) and I have begun the process of reversing my fibromyalgia symptoms by expelling the excess phosphates from my system which contribute to my fibro pain (please read the aforementioned book to get the complete description of the mechanism for this). Guaifenesin is the only thing that has ever worked on my insomnia (suffered for over 40 years of sleep issues) and now I can get good quality sleep! I have had no bad side effects and guaifenesin has no interaction with other drugs. But I don't need any drugs for pain or fibro!"

kspeaker67 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 12, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "Gone ate daily headaches, skin has cleared up, stabbing pains in hips and lower back are gone, restless leg syndrome gone, pins and needles in feet gone, muscle pain in legs from a daily seven on the pain scale to a two. Foggy brain very much improved. Severe fatigue almost non-existent. I'm exercising for the first time in two years and very grateful."

Grateful In Wisconsin (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "It has reversed my Fibro symptoms to a level that allows me to have some of my life back."

THEQueenBeeyatch1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 12, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "The ONLY thing that works for my type of FM which is caused by the buildup of calcium/phosphate"

Hope00 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 16, 2016

For Cough: "Did not thin out mucus of cough from severe sinus infection Did make me bring it up though"

bunnee1934 June 6, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I tried Mucinex about 6 years ago, but decided it didn't work after only a week of use. About 8 months ago I started taking Mucinex because I developed a chronic cough (M.D. feels it is due to allergies/sinus drip), and after 3 weeks, I suddenly noticed every cell in my body no longer hurt. Yes, I still have neck and low back pain, but that is unrelated to fibromyalgia. The fibromyalgia pain has decreased by about 75-80% (deep tissue is still sensitive if tested). I take 12mg Mucinex DM before bed. Both my physician and pharmacist approve. None of the prescribed meds worked and none were without side effect. Sometimes I take a generic, but mostly I stick to Mucinex. I am so grateful to have relief after so many years of suffering."

Jane Grapes (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2016

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "I took this attempting to get rid of a cough and chest congestion. I am a 105lb 30 year old female. I took one pill yesterday and felt a little better. That was a half does so today I tried 2 pills, a full dose. After feeling nauseous for several hours I finally threw up several times and am feeling much better. I will not be taking it again, and would rather allow the congestion to run its course."

Puppyloveg (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2016

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Cough: "I was suffering from a severe virus-caused sore throat with terrible coughing. My PCP advised me to take Mucinex but at substantially greater dosage than the package recommends. I did so for about 3-4 weeks. The medication did help relieve my coughing, but it interfered so badly with my sleep that I had to discontinue taking it. I notice that other people have experienced sleep problems with Mucinex. There should be a warning about this on the package label."

Captain Jerry May 15, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I have had fibromyalgia for most of my life. Even as a child I suffer from severe leg pain. Each time I was given guaifenesen to help ease asthma congestion I always felt better. Today I take magnesium, guaifenesen, and vitamin D1000 x 3 and I finally have my life back. I tried Lyrica which locked up my jaws. Cymbalta and many other antidepressant's to no avail. For those of you that it doesn't help perhaps you need a second opinion on your diagnosis. I have to many friends on these meds that have reclaimed their life for this treatment to NOT be on to something. Perhaps more research is needed, but why would they do that when the medical and big pharma is getting rich shoving Lyrica, Cymbalta down our throat and getting rich."

CeciliaJayne (taken for 10 years or more) May 14, 2016

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: "This medicine really helped me out with a bronchitis attack. I have been suffering with acute bronchitis for about 3 weeks now, after taking all of the medication that my doctor prescribed I still have no relief. After reading reviews I decided to give Mucinex (liquid) a try, to my surprise it really helps to bring up all of that sticky mucus that was stuck in my lungs. Although I'm not fully well yet, I can see better days ahead!"

Nina5621 May 10, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I started taking guaifenesin about three weeks ago at 600 mg every morning . I had improved in most of my pain but still was getting that evening pain and so I just increased to take another 600mg in evening. I slept so deep and woke up feeling like a new person. I will continue on this because nothing else has ever helped my fibromyalgia better. I can get my life back together now."

Happyfibrogone (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

Mucinex (guaifenesin) for Bronchitis: "Helped loosen this putty gunk in my lungs making my coughing more effective and less effort required."

Carranetta (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "My teen daughters were diagnosed with Fibromyalgia before I was. I did tons of research to help them and stumbled on Dr. St. Amand's Guaifenesin Protocol as well realizing that I had a lot of the symptoms as well. We went to Marina del Rey to see the doctor himself and were diagnosed. That was over a year ago. Guaifenesin has helped us all immensely. My daughter was dancing competitively and then couldn't do anything. Now she is dancing again, getting better all the time. My youngest has had her IBS symptoms disappear! You really have to follow the protocol as written, by removing salicylate products and taking long acting guaifenesin. I suggest getting the book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia." Read it to understand."

fibro mom (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 10, 2016

For Cough: "So thankful I purchased, started taking at the first of trouble, and my cough is barely evident. Makes me pee every hour, cause I'm drinking plenty of water , and i think that's why I'm not coughing to much."

Sweetpea Kee (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2016

For : "Great results. Took plain Guaifenesin, 12 hr, 600mg for a cold/bronchitis, but later realized I had no muscle achiness, which otherwise, I have every day. So, I tried Guaifenesin without a cold, and most all the achiness was gone. The good effect lasted a few days, then the aches were back. Did lots of yard work, with worse aches after, and so I took Guaifenesin after the fact, and it quickly helped. After reading a lot about, it appears to relax the muscles, although this is not a technical answer. Evidently, taking aspirin or other with salicylates? Blocks the good effect. I was at a point where I wondered if I had arthritis, but I have no joint pain. Guaifenisen works for me, although I won't take it every day."

Karanne (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I've been taking Guaifenesin for 18 months, along with following all of the guidelines written by Dr. R. Paul St. Amand in his book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia". Before I started the Guaifenesin Protocol, I was in so much pain, and had so much fatigue that I was in bed much of the time. Slowly and steadily, I am getting my life back. My pain is much better. The fatigue still comes and goes, but gets better each month. Some of my other Fibro symptoms are completely gone. It is VERY IMPORTANT to follow the protocol as written by Dr. St. Amand, especially avoiding plant products (salicylates) on your skin. Just taking a Guaifenesin pill will not make you better. Do your research--you can do this!"

NancyB,FibroFighter (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 5, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "Mucinex (guaifenesin): "With moderate to severe fibromyalgia for 25 years, lost my career & lived in fear of having a life to avoid a flare-up mostly sleeping bedridden 75% of time. I also have polyneuropathy, trigeminal neuralgia, occipital neuralgia, severe cervical DDD, myelopathy, etc.. have tried every antidepressant, SSRI, pain medicine, anti-inflammatory..you all know, with major side effects. Feb 2016 I got a cold on top of allergies used Mucinex daily 800 mg then up to 1600 mg & could not believe the relief even at 800! I have prayed for someone to invent a NEW MEDICINE for fibromyalgia that would work..turned out this OLD MEDICINE has returned a lot of my life to me, helps the pain, brain fog, fatigue& depression too!"

SDCalifGirl (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "My Fibro pain started 35 years ago and all the doctors shrugged their shoulders. In 2000, I was finally diagnosed and given pain and sleep medication to control the symptoms. At this point I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. When I finally climbed out of the hole, I wasn't content with just "controlling" the symptoms with medication. Yes, it put me to sleep the 1st week and made things worse but the guaifenesin worked very gradually, and over time I began to improve. This is NOT an instant fix. or cure. It takes months and even years. Over the past 16 years I have stopped taking Guaifenesin 3 times and each time I have been slammed with pain within a few weeks. The lesson is just keep taking it."

Brenda501 (taken for 10 years or more) February 16, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I have been using Guaifenesen for 10 years now. Like my Doctor said, I had initial relief, then cycled between feeling worse and better, and now my CFS / Fibro is much milder than it was. I avoid Salicylates, but accidental exposure isn't a disaster, since I am not a strong blocker. For me, it works best just before or just after mild exercise, like a 1 mile walk to work, or mowing the lawn. I take 1/4 of a COSTCO 400 mg. Tablet whenever I feel Fibro pain, or before anticipated exercise, or after unexpected exercise."

Jefflem (taken for 10 years or more) January 7, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I have been taking this medicine for 2-3 months now and although amazing results for my condition I have had constant kidney infections. I normally have no probs there so although it's amazing I have to stop taking it. Please be aware anyone that takes it!"

Ju-drop January 3, 2016