User Reviews for Erythromycin to treat Dental Abscess

Also known as: Erythrocin, EryPed, E-Mycin, Ery-Tab, Erythrocin Lactobionate, Erythrocin Stearate Filmtab, PCE Dispertab, Wyamycin S, E.E.S. Granules, E.E.S.-200, E.E.S.-400, E.E.S.-400 Filmtab Erythrocot Eryc …show all brand names

Erythromycin has an average rating of 4.7 out of 10 from a total of 17 ratings for the treatment of Dental Abscess. 29% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 47% reported a negative effect.

Erythromycin Rating Summary

4.7/10 average rating

Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Dental Abscess.

Reviews for Erythromycin

ellie May 10, 2020

“I took 250 mg of erythromycin for a tooth infection as I’m allergic to penicillin. side effects were pretty bad on the first few days couldn’t eat couldn’t get out of bed, diarrhoea, fast heart rate. But after my body got used to it, the pain went after a few days of taking it. Dental pain is the worst pain I’ve ever experienced.. I still can’t see my dentist because of this pandemic !!!”

Blodyn80 · Taken for less than 1 month October 29, 2017

“I’ve had an abscess since Sept 5th and it’s now October 29th. Dentist would not give me antibiotics till Oct 27th. I am allergic to penicillin so that’s why I have this antibiotic. I’ve been using it for around 36 hours now, 1 every 6 hours and I have had no side effects like others have had and for the first time since I got my abscess I am not in constant pain : ) my tooth is still sensitive but my glands have gone down and my jaw is not hurting anymore : )”

annonymous user January 4, 2014

“I'm currently taking it now as I'm allergic to penicillin. I'm on my 3rd day. I've been getting really painful stomach cramps, hot sweats and very loose stools. It's making me feel really ill. And it hasn't made my mouth feel any better at all. I'm going to give it one more day then I'm going to stop taking it because it's obviously not for me.”

Hele · Taken for less than 1 month May 1, 2021

“For tooth infection I was prescribed 2 erythromycin x 250mg pill 4 x per day for 7 days. Altogether 56 pills. Now after 1 day, I didn’t sleep all night because of stomach cramps, diarrhea, almost vomited 3 times and I feel very very sick. My tooth pain is better but I never felt like this. There are definitely better option for people allergic to penicillin as I know that I took some antibiotics before and felt normal. I will see in few hours if situation is any better as I am due to take another dose. Might go with 50%”

kikidi June 30, 2012

“I was put on erythromycin for a tooth infection. It raised my blood pressure to 170/112. I stopped taking it when the course finished. I felt dizzy and out of sorts. My blood pressure is slowly decreasing now, but I still feel dizzy sometimes. ”

Annie · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2020

“Started taking erythromycin for dental abscess after previously having Amoxicillin six weeks prior... day one stomach cramps, sickness, vomiting this continued for at least two days. I am now on day 4 and still feeling ill, stomach pain has subsided but feeling dizzy and generally unwell. I will finish course and never take again ... dental pain is improved but not at end of course yet do we’ll see!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 20, 2020

“I’m allergic to penicillin so was prescribed erythromycin for tooth infection. On day 2.5. Still have the pain however I must say it did make me feel awful With the side effects the first 2 days! Nausea, cramps etc but I now find on day 3 my body is getting used to it so will finish the course and hope it clears up my toothache which is excruciating!!!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2015

“This medicine gave me extreme upper abdominal pain and vomiting and I felt so unwell I couldn't sleep! My infection was slightly better after 3 days but I had to stop taking this medicine as it was making me too unwell! Stay away from this medicine and find an alternative!”

Shander · Taken for less than 1 month December 31, 2020

“As someone else said, it takes a while to beat the infection and, as a result, takes a bit longer to reduce swelling and pain but after roughly 2.5 days. It looks like things are getting much better. I was taking 200 mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours for the pain/swelling but this next one might be my last one. So hang in there and do NOT stop taking the course (usually 7-10 days). You risk promoting resistant bacterial growth. I have had minor stomach issues due to it (diarrhea one day) but always made sure I took it after a meal to reduce these side effects. I’d much rather have a day or two of mild diarrhea than intense tooth pain.”

Peanut · Taken for less than 1 month April 8, 2021

“I had a ossible infection on bottom right teeth so was given a dose of 2 tabs 4 x a day. Took for 2 days during which time had bad stomach pain and feeling sick. 3rd day a lot of cramping pain and vomiting. Woke up this morning with stomach pain. Now bringing up small amounts of sick. Never want these tabs again.”

Iga October 14, 2020

“Treated with erythromycin for dental abscess and toothache that I suffered for a while. I couldn't sleep for first 1 night. Abnormal heart rate and nausea so I reduced the dosage and I felt a lot better but taken a bit longer to complete. I am all good now, haven't had any dental issues since then (Nov 2019)”

Jerry · Taken for less than 1 month September 6, 2020

“Started erythromycin medication for toothache/onset of infection. Now the 3rd day on meds, still no significant relief of pain due to oncoming infection. After reading comments I see this medication can take a little time to start working, hopefully I'll get relief soon. I also experienced severe stomach cramps, along with intestinal discomfort, nausea but no vomiting. I'm in the same position due to pandemic cannot see dentist anytime soon. Not sure what to do now.”

Unlucky alf · Taken for less than 1 month November 5, 2020

“4 days treatment of erythromycin now of a 7 day treatment, I still have dental pain. I will be referring back to dentist , unfortunately I cannot take penicillin as a treatment. I hope I can have this toothache problem sorted real soon.”

paul · Taken for less than 1 month December 6, 2020

“erythromycin used to work fine for me when I had a dental abscess, but this time I left it too long, and it reduced the pain, but it came back. I think you have to treat the abscess early for it to work properly. I can't have penicillin. Gave a bit of acid reflux.”

Hap · Taken for less than 1 month March 16, 2020

“Started erythromycin antibiotics on the second day of dental infection and noticed significant relief after 60 hours.”

Molly December 16, 2019

“After one day on 4 tabs I had severe stomach cramps and diarrhea. I cut dose to 1 per day, thinking pain could be caused by something else. After reading the above I wont take it again!”

David August 11, 2018

Erythrocin (erythromycin): “Intense nausea Lower back kidney pain Diarrhea Vomiting Disorientation dizziness missed dose due to intensity of constant nausea”

mags · Taken for less than 1 month July 28, 2019

“I had a dental abscess and was prescribed Erythromycin but after one dose I got awful pains in my stomach and felt sick and tired, I had to stop using it.”

Anand Ranjan April 21, 2018

“Erythromycin is safe drug however works late. Amoxicillin works fast however many people are allergic to it as side effect are pain in abdomen, vomiting and loose bowel motions.”

Learn more about Dental Abscess