User Reviews for Bactrim

Bactrim has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 500 ratings on Drugs.com. 42% of those users who reviewed Bactrim reported a positive effect, while 42% reported a negative effect.

Acne  Off-label 8.7
Infection Prophylaxis   2 reviews 24 medications
Summary of Bactrim reviews 5.5 500 reviews

Reviews for Bactrim

Tldavis10 February 27, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Day 1: Prescribed 1 pill twice a day for 7 days. The medication seemed to be working and I was urinating like normal. Day 2: That night, I ended up experiencing terrible pain on the inside and outside of my vagina such as: burning, itching, redness and swelling. I thought it could be a reaction but it wasn’t sure. Day 3: That morning, I ended up experiencing the same terrible pain but it was more severe. At this point, I could hardly move, sit or stand without it hurting. It felt like ulcers on the inside and outside of my vagina due to the terrible burning sensation. That night, the pain got even worse. I ended up having chills and body aches, possibly a low grade fever. Day 4: I stopped taking the medication. I decided that this medication is not worth the symptoms and advised to my doctor that I would not be continuing the medication. *If I could rate my symptoms on a scale from 1-10, I would rate it at a 15. I will NEVER take this medication again.”

Libra · Taken for less than 1 month February 22, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Started Bactrim 800mg DS on a Wednesday. Thursday afternoon had a 103 fever. Fever would reduce with NSAIDS. Fever has been present every day since. The major side effects I experienced were fever, chills, body aches, cough, loss of appetite, feeling dehydrated, severe fatigue, change in urine volume. I thought maybe I had Covid, got a test. (No covid.) Original UTI symptoms (kidney area pain) was gone by day 3. I’m on the last day of the script & I will NOT take this again.”

Mickey February 13, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “No no no!! I’m almost through with the 10 days of taking Bactrim. This medication makes me extremely anxious, panicky and jittery!!! My blood pressure is extremely high as well! And I already have panic/anxiety disorders and high blood pressure! It was literally driving me insane! I would not recommend to anyone who has an anxiety disorder or high blood pressure! It also took forever to work!!!! It's awful. Please research it carefully before taking it. Talk to your doctor!”

Niki · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2021

For Bacterial Infection: “Noo!!! Do not take this medicine. I was at the hospital a week ago for a severe UTI they prescribed me Bactrim. They wanted me to take it twice daily for 10 days. I made it to day 6 and tonight I feel so bad. My legs are tingling my tongue feels tingly and my mouth is super dry. I’m having bad stomach cramps and my ears hurt. This is all from this medicine. I’ve been having severe headaches, nausea and my anxiety is so bad. Please be very aware with taking this medicine.”

Jdk01 · Taken for less than 1 month February 3, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Hello, Update ..... DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION !!! As per my conversation before my tongue was peeling yet it literally blew up. Obviously I was allergic. However, it’s February and my UTI is back . I’m petrified after this experience to take anything!! I was prescribed Cefdinir so we shall see!! Be very cautious with this medication!! Everything seemed fine and then it all went awry within a couple of days!!”

April January 31, 2021

For Bacterial Skin Infection: “I went to dermatologists for five years because of cysts/boils that were on my butt. I'd get one, it would go away, and I'd get another one. Doctors would put me on expensive medication that did nothing. Then I found the best dermatologist in the city and waited for four months to see him. The doctor said I would take Bactrim/sulfa 500mg 2x's a day for 30 days. I did that and they disappeared. He said some people have to take them for life, others would take them for 10 days when you have any little sign or a boil or cyst. I start taking the medication and the cyst or boil disappears. What a miracle treatment it's been to me as a person prone to cysts and boils!!!”

Lillypad89 · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2021

For Bacterial Skin Infection: “I had a facial abscess lanced at urgent care and prescribed Bactrim in case it was MRSA. I took it for about 8 days twice daily and lost my appetite, got headaches and felt anxious and depressed. I continued to get cystic acne behind my ears, mostly the ear by the abscess that was drained so the dermatologist PA told me to take Bactrim for another month, once a day. I took it another 12 days until I began having knee joint pain and achyness in my legs like I've got the flu. Oh I was also getting the chills. I've been off it 3 days and still having very bad leg pain that's caused me to have a panic attack and extreme mood swings and depression. I know it's from this antibiotic... I'm praying that the pain goes away as is debilitating and I was a healthy 30 year old prior to this.”

Holly · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I took the full course seemed fine. The next day I was rushed to a hospital 2 1/2 hours away from my town because no hospital in the cities near mine would take me. I had Steven-Johnson’s Syndrome and was in the hospital for a week with severe problems with every mucus membrane on my body. Also, can’t have MSG and Hydrogenated Soy Protein. There are other antibiotic allergies and sensitivities in my family.”

Shel · Taken for less than 1 month January 20, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I was prescribed Bactrim 800/160 mg for 5 days, 2 times a day. Day 1 no problem just lost appetite. Day 2 no appetite, kidney pain, hands got shaky and was very anxious. I considered stopping prescription. Day 3 (5th pill) within an hour of taking it my heart rate got up to 176 and I was gasping for air. I called 911 because its just myself and my 2 young children here. Paramedics ruled as a panic attack. Never had this problem so I know its from the medication. Absolutely will never take this again. Im currently still on day 5 so if anything else crazy happens I'll update. I wish these didn't continue releasing medication for 12 hours... The anxious feelings are still coming in waves. Trying to drink a lot of water to flush this poison out of my system. Currently having no more UTI symptoms so I think it cleared the infection. Giving it a 3 because it did what it was supposed to, quickly, but definitely NOT worth the side effects.”

Leesh January 16, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I was given a 7 day 2x a day treatment. My UTI symptoms almost immediately improved after first dose. I am now on day 3 and considering stopping early because of the throbbing headache I've had for two days now. I've been chugging water and taken Tylenol and it hasn't dented the pain I feel. I don't mind tolerating pain if it's harmless but I'm worried that I'm causing harm to myself and I keep reading that headaches are one of the more serious side effects. I also feel weak and run down, like holding my arm up for a few seconds tires the muscles. I'm giving 3 stars because I think it's treating my UTI due to my symptoms lessening but UGH, this doesn't feel worth it.”

Sky pilot · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2021

For Bacterial Skin Infection: “So many negative reviews on this bactrim that it surprised me because it worked great for me and I didn’t notice any adverse conditions whatsoever. Maybe only negative people write reviews and all the positive ones are out playing and don’t have time to write. Thanks Doc. good call on my meds.”

Hally · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I was prescribed this medication for a UTI, after 1 pill I woke up feeling nauseous, non stop vomiting, bloating, diarrhea, headaches, insomnia, dizziness, weak, loss of appetite, fever, chills. I am currently on day 3 and will not be taking this anymore, I have zero improvements, which is to be expected after only 3 days, I was told to take 2 pills daily for 10 days. I can’t take the extreme side effects and I don’t see why a doctor would prescribe this, with these many horrible side effects. I thought I have a stomach bug or food poisoning, until I decided to look up the side effects and realized it’s the medicine. My kind was 800/160MG TB. I don’t recommend.”

B · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I was prescribed Bactrim for 3 days 2x a day. The first two pills were fine except I felt like I had taken NyQuil or pain relievers I was delirious. The second day I felt horrible with throbbing headaches and almost unbearable nausea and body aches as well as a slight fever. Today is day 3 and I don’t even want to take them because I feel so horrible and my mouth is dry and I’m still so so nauseated I can hardly move and the pain is still there, as well as my fever. The last time I took it (may 2020) I only had a headache so IDK why I feel absolutely like death this time. I don’t recommend Bactrim for anyone unless it’s the only option you have left because it’s horrible and I haven’t felt this sick in my life but my UTI is gone”

Sha · Taken for less than 1 month January 8, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Listen ! No! Heck no! Absolutely NOT!!! I was prescribed macrobid but itching started and my face felt numb just after the 2nd dose!!! So my doctor switched me to Bactrim ! I will say the first 2 pills weren’t so bad. Little nausea, slight headache. But baaaabbbby this 3rd pill is the awful! I’m currently shivering as I type this. I’m in a robe and under covers. Make it make sense. Prior to this I had a scare... my heart rate increased so high!!!! Talk about a rapid beating out of no where, I FREAKED oooout!!!! I should’ve read the reviews and listened ! I didn’t listen... thinking I’d have a better outcome. I had 3 pills left. I’m not taking that!! I’ll keep drinking my water and flushing my system because the symptoms were milder than the antibiotic !!!! We all are different indeed but dang how can your body handle this stuff ? Still shivering by the way. I was given this twice a day for 3 days”

JDK01 · Taken for less than 1 month January 7, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Okay here is my story..... I’m 3 days in and after the first dose I felt amazing. Next day even better. Today not so good, I have had sweats at least thrice and stomach pains with burping constantly. My tongue is actually peeling. I have had no appetite throughout the course of 3 days thus far!!! I’m stopping it in fear of something even worse happening!! I can not take my daily runs on this medication. Anxiety is high and my mouth hurts!!! I had sepsis 21 months ago which started with a UTI and several antibiotics do not agree with me!!! I will update as time goes on. Right now I want my mouth to stop hurting!!! I would be very cautious if you are prescribed this medication!!”

owie January 4, 2021

For Bacterial Skin Infection: “Was prescribed Bactrim-DS BID for 10 days for an infected cut on my wrist from punching glass. The first 2 days was HORRIBLE. I was tachycardic, nauseous, gassy, itchy on arms/legs & had no appetite, jaw clenching & severe panic attacks. Plus, my symptoms were just getting worse. I was forming clusters of stinging/itching blisters around my cuts, my wrist was swollen & warm to the touch, & I felt feverish. I ended up getting prescribed Keflex to take with Bactrim starting Day 3. Side effects subsided & symptoms got better. Some nights I'd wake up at 3AM with a panic attack that lasted until I took my next dose. Other nights I'd be able to sleep just fine. Days 6-7, I got gas pain that felt like chest pain. The side effects didn't get better until Day 8. By then, all I had was some itchiness but no full-on rash. I never want to take this drug again. I give it 3 stars only because it did treat my infection despite taking all 10 days and all my willpower to pull through.”

Overit January 2, 2021

For Bacterial Infection: “I was prescribed Bactrim to treat stenotrophomonas maltophilia in my lungs. I have had a persistent cough for 4 years and this bacteria was found after having a bronchoscopy. My cough got better but the medication caused a ganglion cyst I have in my hand to become very inflamed and painful. The cyst is in the palm of my hand at the base of my middle finger. The finger became so painful I could hardly bend my finger. When I stopped taking the medication it went away. I did complete the course of treatment because it was important to me to get rid of the infection but that was my only side effect.”

em · Taken for less than 1 month December 29, 2020

For Acne: “I started using bactrim a week into December due to a hormonal explosion of acne from my birth control (due to a reaction). It cleared me up slightly after 1 week but once week 2 hit I broke out horribly and on day 20 I discovered I was allergic to it. My face swelled HORRIBLY I am literally unrecognizable. Bactrim has left me with worse acne than I started with. My entire cheeks are covered. Now left to resort to accutane. Weird because I used to take this on and off in high school (I am now in college) and it worked wonders. I either developed a bacterial resistance to the drug or just became allergic over the years. I highly recommend it if you've never taken it before and aren't allergic or can make it past the first month. I guess we will see how accutane works.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 28, 2020

For Acne: “I have been on Bactrim for a month now when nothing could clear up my acne I tried everything all the topicals and all the different antibiotics that are acne specific and nothing seemed to even touch my acne. So my dermatologist put me on this bactrim and it worked. In the months time my skin is cleared up and if I do have a zit occasionally it comes to head super quick and heals quickly. My back and chest had tiny little zits over it and now it’s nothing but smooth skin. Even my husband has said he notices that this is actually working. I didn’t really have any of the side effects a little nausea and thirst the first week but that was it, after that nothing.”

em · Taken for less than 1 month December 26, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “My anxiety and mental health was under control until I got a mild UTI and was prescribed Bactrim. My heart rate skyrocketed for days, it induced panic attacks, I had no idea what was happening to me until I looked up the reviews and realized I was reacting to the bactrim. My heart rate reached 130 bpm at one point and I went to the doctor to have my heart checked. I took 4 doses and will never take this again. It ruined my life. 2 weeks later I’m still recovering from the anxiety it caused. I am angry this medication was prescribed to me.”

Jae · Taken for less than 1 month December 23, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “honestly not terrible. I was prescribed Bactrim 2 doses/day for 7 days after they prescribed keflex (which didn’t work). A little nausea after the first couple doses, some indigestion, some lower back pain. As long as you drink lots of water with the pill and throughout the day the side effects are pretty mild. I had ginger chews and pepto for stomach issues that worked well. Eat a big meal before you take the pill too. kombucha, yogurt, and probiotics during and after the course will help your stomach heal. I would much prefer this over a kidney infection. If you’re having major side effects from day one, perhaps try something different. Everyone reacts differently!”

Vince · Taken for less than 1 month December 20, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “24yo male. Was prescribed Bactrim for the specific bacterial strain "morganella morganii" - tested at MicrogenDX. First 2 days no improvement at all- which worried me. Doc reassured me to just keep on the program. After day 6 the symptoms reduced significantly. I asked for another week on this just in case I had prostatitis. Kept taking it and symptoms gradually disappeared. However I had some serious reactions on day 10 - whole body rash (aloe helped a lot). Day 12 - Severe fatigue and muscle aches whole body, had to stay in bed most of the day. Stopped after this experience. After taking it for 12 days though, the UTI symptoms were gone. As of today 3 weeks after taking bactrim I am still UTI free. It worked for me but be prepared for some severe symptoms if you're taking it for long periods like 2 weeks.”

Horrid · Taken for less than 1 month December 15, 2020

For Kidney Infections: “Took this medication the first thing I noticed was a pain in my stomach next thing I noticed it had me throwing up or vomiting about 10 to 12 times back to back. I couldn’t get warm put on pyjamas got under thick covers next thing I noticed I couldn’t breathe and hardly make it to the front door ended up calling 911 emergency. Immediately gave me a breathing treatment Benadryl took me to the emergency room continued breathing treatment Severe allergic reaction Found out After later research This medication is banned in Europe”

HayKay · Taken for less than 1 month December 12, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I was prescribed Bactrim twice a day for five days for a UTI. Within 24 hours a lot of my symptoms improved. I continued taking the antibiotic and finished my last dose this morning. Had some mild stomach upset which could’ve been from food and not the Bactrim. Overall, no major issues and it cleared up my UTI.”

Cheryl · Taken for less than 1 month December 12, 2020

For Bacterial Skin Infection: “I had a large abscess on my abdomen and was first put on Keflex. After a few days, the infection was spreading and I now had diarrhea. The clinic doctor switched me to bactrim. I was nervous after reading reviews, but by the next day I saw major improvement. I finished my full course and I feel great. It didn’t even upset my stomach. Obviously some people have allergic reactions to it, but for me it worked wonderfully.”