User Reviews for Bactrim

Learn more about Bactrim.

Acne 66 reviews 562 medications

Prostatitis 6 reviews 48 medications

2.1
Summary of Bactrim reviews 260 reviews 5.7

Reviews for Bactrim

For Acne "It's the silver bullet! Well, for me at least. I can only add my highest recommendation for Bactrim to treat my cystic acne, the kind that produces cysts around 2-3 cm in diameter all over my body and face. I've been on Accutane and every other antibiotic there is, but the Bactrim has saved me. It is hard on your digestive system, and I still haven't come up with a good solution for that yet, but I can certainly live with it if it means no more painful cysts which need to be cut out and operated on medically (no fun at all). I've always had cystic acne, but the Bactrim seems to kill the bacteria that produce the cysts, so as long as it keeps working I'm happy."

Tulloch (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "Bactrim has been very effective for me, and I've taken it on and off for seven years. I have had no serious side effects (at least none which manifested as of now), and the Bactrim does a good job of controlling my acne. Side effects are a big deal in acne medication (Accutane dried my skin and tetracycline caused ear ringing). While I occasionally get a breakout while on Bactrim, the severity and frequency of the acne has decreased. On a side note, I've found my acne is most well behaved with a low or no dairy diet."

AcneSuffererinTX (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "I took this medication for the first day and I only ate a small breakfast just so I could take the medicine. I was sick all day and felt like I had the flu. So the next day, I are a full meal (so that I was completely stuffed) and no side effects. THIS MEDICINE MUST BE TAKEN WITH A FULL MEAL"

hgghjbcdk May 29, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "Severe UTI, lasting a month with one course of antibiotics that did nothing. Was in so much pain, never knew your bladder could pulse! People who have never had it, can't understand that a car journey is your worst nightmare! Now on day five of sulfatrim and symptoms were clear by two days. All I notice is my guts are a mess, slight sickness and a wave of tiredness after taking the tablet. Compared to the misery of a UTI, small side effects are bearable!"

Toaster123 (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Prostatitis "I took one pill of a two week prescription and immediately had a splitting headache. Six hours later I had difficulty breathing. Body aches and joint pain also kicked in. Two days later I am finally starting to feel better, but my right knee still hurts. This drug is (almost) banned in the U.K. And should be looked at by the FDA. You need to know if you are allergic to the sulfa class of drugs before even thinking about taking this drug."

Sidecar (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection "Very annoying side effect for me was the constant air bubbles stuck in my throat. Bad taste and tastebuds are effected....felt like mouth and throat were slightly numb and felt as if I had a thick film in mouth/throat. Constantly felt like I had to swallow."

Cdcd April 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sinusitis "I've been plagued with UTI's my entire adult life and Bactrim was my go to drug. I got a sinus infection 2 weeks ago and Dr said take Bactrim. My tongue swelled up and sores developed on it, that was AWFUL! I've never had any reaction before. I'm really disappointed because it's always been my go to."

Cyneburh March 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "The ONLY side effect I had from this medicine so far is very slight fatigue right after I take it. Had a pretty bad UTI, took the first dose ( 2 a day every 12 hours) and within a short amount of time there was no more burning, fullness feeling, or pain. I take this for 10 days and I am on day 7. And no dizziness, nausea, vomiting or anything. Don't be afraid to take this medicine BUT! EAT BEFORE YOU TAKE IT!! Like a full meal! I think many people aren't doing this and you should."

Brit431 March 21, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Kidney Infections "I had a UTI that went into a kidney infection, They put me on Bactrim, Didn't notice any side effects until a few days later, I started feeling depressed out of no where and it got worse from there, I ended up in the hospital with the worst headache of my life, I was shaking and throwing up I didn't even think it had anything to do with the Bactrim. The depression got so bad I ended up at the psychiatric hospital, I had no idea why I was feeling like this, it was by far the worst feeling in the world, When I came home and went to see my therapist and told her what was going on she immediately asked me what medicine they put me on and when I told her she said look up the side effects to that and sure enough everything was listed."

Arey March 8, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sinusitis "I have had a severe reaction to Bactrim multiple times and only just recently put it together. According to my doctor, Bactrim has a super rare side effect in which it can cause drug-induced meningitis. I was prescribed Bactrim last month for a sinus infection and after a single dose was extremely ill and ended up hospitalized with viral meningitis. My intracranial pressure that was read with the spinal tap was 62 and normal readings are under 20. This was the third time I have taken Bactrim and the reactions increased in severity with each incident."

Shell1010 March 8, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "I just got sick from now this medication is never going to work for me I took at 3pm and I just got sick at almost 12 am not even sure if the medication passed through my system"

Leila H March 2, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "I'm only on my second day of this medication but I feel it is never going to work. I still have mild symptoms and a headache. I'll be heading back to the ER if I don't feel better."

Shalonn B March 2, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "Worst medicine ever!!!!! I got this to get rid of my UTI and while taking it I had the worst side effects. Itching, rash, headaches. And I am off the medication finally it's been a week now and I am still getting headache's. I don't know what to do. I wish I never took it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "Okay, so I had suffered with Acne ever since I hit puberty.. I was a 'pizza' face, so to say.. I had tried multiple things and thousands of dollars to try and get rid of my acne... Eventually though, I found out I had PCOS, so yay! Hormonal Acne. ._. Anywaaays, My dermatologist prescribed me Bactrim along with Spironolactone. Within a week, I had a completely clear face. No acne at all... But unfortunately, after 3-4 week I found out I I was apart of the unlucky few who ended up being allergic to it. So sad. If I could ever take it again, I would in a heart beat. But It has been about 6 months since I've been on Bactrim and I am still pretty much clear with very few breakouts."

Idkwhattonamemyself February 22, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "Nightmare antibiotics!!!!!!!!!!Yes. It took care of uti.......Right away. But!!!!!!!!!I felt tumbling in my entire body, couldn't breath ,felt like I was dying, chocking, and overall felt dizzy as hell....No more!!!!!!!!Theres no way....Do not take it. Try anything else. This is killing product....Disgrace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Lyena February 21, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne "Never had a whole lot of acne through high school until I jumped on steroids (deca/sustanon) I got moderate-severe cystic acne after about 6 weeks and had it for about 3-4 months and finally got put on bactrim DS. It did wonders went through 3 bottles and was back to normal I kept the 4th bottle for precautionary reasons no acne came back"

Kaleb13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection "Was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI . Within minutes of taking my first dose I became extremely itchy and developed welts... I stopped taking it and it took two days for the itch to calm down. So apparently I'm allergic to it. Had to get a different drug called in which was CIPRO will not take that one do to bad side effects so now I'm on Macrobid. Will see how this goes."

Dreamspirit February 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection "I had a bacterial infection and feeling ill, and the doctor prescribed Bactrim. I didn't think it was helping as my illness took a turn for the worst. I had fever, chills, muscle weakness and pain, stomach pain, and I couldn't get out of bed. I'd start to feel better after a few hours and thought it was finally working. Nope. I took my next dose of Bactrim and all the symptoms came back full strength and I was severely ill again. I finally linked it to Bactrim and stopped taking it. My symptoms cleared up over the course of a few days. I learned my grandmother and mother have a severe sulfa allergy, and I found out the hard way I do too. Words just don't describe how sick I was on this medication."

Whitehusky3 (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Kidney Infections "Bactrim was killing my stomach no matter how much food and water I took with it. I was in constant stomach pain. Had to change it the second day."

bellamia02 February 13, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Skin Infection "I broke out in blisters on face, scalp, and chest. These were oozing a clear sticky fluid that literally melted the skin it oozed over. Tried everything over the counter and homeopathic but this flesh eating infection would not clear. Finally went to urgent care and was prescribed Bactrim for an assumed MRSA skin infection. Within The first 24 hours I had noticeable improvement. Sores weren't burning red and swollen, by 3rd day some scabs are already falling off with healthy pink skin underneath, no ooze, no new blisters. Day 5 you would hardly know I had a skin problem. All clear. Only side effect I had was loss of appetite. Didn't want to eat, nothing sounded good. Lost 4 pounds. Not everyone reacts bad to Bactrim."

LizzyC. (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI. Everything was going well on day 1-2, on day 3, mid day, I began with chest tightness, noticed difference in my breathing. Felt as though the end of my lungs/rib area was extremely sore. It sent me to the ER as I was uncertain what could be causing it. CT scans, tests, and 3,000 out of pocket later, no results showed. Which I'm thankful! they eventually chalked it up to the medication. I immediately stopped it and went back to normal after a few days. Weird stuff! I gave it 5 out of 10 because although it was only three days, the bactrim cleared up whatever it was! Potent stuff"

AAbcdef123456 February 7, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Skin Infection "First and foremost I want to let you all know, reading things on the internet, WILL NOT help, nor really be a good indicator of your personal reaction to any drug. There are many negative reviews here for Bactrim, and I'm on day 3 of a 10 day dose for a staph infection (cellulitis) on, of all places the right side of my face/right ear (its wonderful!). Here's my experience: Side Effects: Fatigue, headaches (though not consistent). I have a weaker stomach, and its doing just fine with my probiotic (get one with 30billion strands) and drinking lots of water/eating while taking it. The infection is clearing up. Day 3 was when I really noticed. Don't be anxious when taking this, its definitely a mind over matter thing sometimes too."

Girl with a red ear February 6, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection "For a few days I had what I thought was a pimple in the opening of my right nostril. Finally I softened it with warm water and it popped. BIG MISTAKE! DONT DO IT! Within a day the right nostril was reddish purple and swollen, my cheek bones hurt, my upper gums were enflamed, even my teeth hurt. There were now 3 more in my nose. I went to urgent care and Dr said it was cellulitis/staph infection, put me on Bactrim (2x's a day/10days) and topical (Mupirocin 2%) that can be used in nose even though it says not for internal use: mouth, nose, ears. This is my 5th dose, btwn day 2&3. Still in a lot of pain but original "pimple" seems to have a brownish coloring possibly on the way to scabbing Definitely headache provoking, taking with Tylenol."

NYGOS1 (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection "First time I got MRSA it started as a small pimple under my arm and quickly became a massive abscess over night. I went to the ER and doctor told me it was MRSA and prescribed me 10 days worth of bactrim. With in four days the infection stopped and the wound started to heal. It was completely healed before then ten days but I took all the bactrim as directed by the doctor. Then about 7 days ago I noticed a large pimple and got it checked it and it was MRSA again but my whole leg was swollen. They lanced it and gave me another ten days of bactrim. I'm about five days in and the swelling has resided and the pain is much less. No side effects other then a constant headache and abdominal cramps. Seems to work good for MRSA and staph infection"

Storm kennedy January 23, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "On day five of a 10 day course I noticed a rash on my face. Over the next 12 hours it would cover my entire body. It didn't itch it burned!! Doc said benadryl wouldn't help so I needed a steroid shot. I was also very dizzy and tired on this medication. If you have never taken Bactrim and aren't sure if you are allergic to sulfa drugs, I would just take something else."

SunnyintheD (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017