User Reviews for Bactrim

Prostatitis

Infection ProphylaxisNot rated - Be the first1 review 24 medications
Summary of Bactrim reviews 6.1 327 reviews

Reviews for Bactrim

For Urinary Tract Infection "Cured the UTI quickly, then all good until day 9 when I started having stomach pain & fatigue. I didn’t associate it with the antibiotic, until I became covered with a rash (non-itchy) all over my torso on day 10. Went to the dr and they attributed all the symptoms to an allergic reaction to Bactrim. I’ve never had any drug allergies previously."

MM (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2018

For Bacterial Skin Infection "Worst part of this was the size of the pill. Had to buy a pill cutter. Otherwise, it did make me a little moody and anxious but I did not have any other major symptoms. Took for 7 days for staph infection on skin."

lemonlime24 (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "After taking three pills I had a fever and end in Emergency Room with infection in my mouth and genitals. I was diagnosed with Thrush, Yeast."

IGM September 30, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Took it for 3 days and got sick and dizzy spells"

Nan September 26, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Never again!!!!!!!!!! I was put on this for 3 days-2 pills a day for a UTI. I was laid up in bed for 4 days. I was extremely nauseous, chills, sweats, headache, dizzy, couldn’t eat a single thing, and after day 2 I got a SEVERE yeast infection. The pain was unlike anything that has ever happened to me. Took 2 trips to the doctor and over a week to feel somewhat normal again down there. This was way to strong and unnecessary for a simple UTI infection. Never will I ever take this again. I wish I could give it a zero, I am still having nightmares about this drug"

jro (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "There seems to be a lot of people who have had side effects. But seriously, Bactrim is a drug with not many side effects for most people. The people who mainly think to write comments are usually the few that have had the bad reactions. For me it was fine."

Vance (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2018

For Bacterial Skin Infection "I'm thinking some of the side effects commented were possibly results of the condition and not the medication. I have MRSA. Of course I have chills because the abscess are a massive infection. One person mentioned organ failure. MRSA entering the bloodstream would do that too. So far so good here- still early on. I was on clindamycin for a tooth abscess. I must have been unknowingly treating a mild staph infection. When the clindamycin stopped the bacteria became aggressive. Now here I am on Bactrim. One sore has lightened in color and pressure within 24 hours. The other sores still hurt, so I took ibuprofen. You won't get headaches if taken with pain/ fever reducer. The clindamycin wrecked my gut but I actually haven't had a hard time with the Bactrim. I've been sure to eat something or drink a glass of milk before taking it."

Michelle (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2018

For Bacterial Skin Infection "I recently had a boil lanced and was prescribed Bactrim. About 45 minutes after taking the first dose, which two tablets, I began to have a severe itch throughout my body. I tongue, throat, face and hands started to swell. Had to taken to the ER due to an anaphylactic reaction. I found out I am allergic to this type of medication. I am now leery of any type of new medication being prescribed."

Bonnie August 29, 2018

For Bacterial Skin Infection "I was very hesitant to take this drug after reading the reviews online. Indeed, I was prescribed it for a bacterial skin infection. However, it did little to nothing to eliminate my infection. On day 1 of taking it, I started getting minor headaches. Every time I took a dose after that it made my headache even worse. It just felt like I was putting something harmful in my body. If you're ever in a situation where you are prescribed it (and it's not a life or death situation), tell your doctor no. Do it it for your own body's sake."

L August 22, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Was diagnosed with my third UTI in a two month span. They ran a urine culture and sensitivity for my 3rd and found there was resistance to the first 2 types of antibiotics I'd been on, but Bactrim worked. Finishing my prescription in the morning and have felt just fine, no side effects. I'm a nursing mother and all the antibiotics have made my son's poop green, however."

Meg (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2018

For Bacterial Skin Infection "I’m on a Day 4 of very high dose (2 tabls twice a day) and it’s about the same as when I took it years ago (so far). On second day felt queasy, tongue and lips a little irritable, gut uncomfortable, generally crummy. By end of third day better on all fronts and expect/hope to be ok (using for a MRSA boil; redness going away rapidly!). I (almost) eliminated refined sugar, drink lots of water, not too much sun. Why so many bad reviews? I guess people who do ok (vast majority) don’t visit the site or leave comments. Hope this helps."

Col August 18, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "This stuff worked really well but kicked my ass. I was on 1 pill 2x a day for 3 days. I was borderline concerned I was having a bad reaction, I am also allergic to penicillin. Fever, aches, sweating, headache. I had a fever and body ache before I started taking these meds but It definitely exacerbated my symptoms. Had a bladder infection which is why I was prescribed Bactrim. I missed 3 days of work but my bladder was fine when I woke up day 2, I was just left over with the fever and headaches. The ‘sulfa’ aspect of it OMG it’s all I can smell and taste. I feel gross even after taking multiple showers. I feel like I have green smoke piping out of every pore. Also side note: I’ve had psoriasis on both my elbows for about 8 years now and after my shower on day 2 I noticed it was completely gone! Holy moly! Amazing. I’d still be hesitant to take again, it was pretty terrible. I’d do it if I really had to."

Slash August 17, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I have never had such a bad experience taking medicine — within the first time taking it 2 hours later I was having shakiness, rapid heart rate, tight chest, my heart rate would drop weirdly low, headaches and weakness. I thought maybe it was in my head, so continued to take it. On the second day same thing happened but with more severe chest tightness— everyone reacts differently but if you have those side effects do yourself a favor & stop taking the medicine! The doctors will always switch you to something better suited"

lynnd (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2018

For Bacterial Skin Infection "I was prescribed Bactrim after having an abscess on my leg drained. I started feeling horrible immediately. Joint pain, nausea, loss of appetite, high fevers. I ended up in the hospital for 3 days for drug fever, and am still feeling the effects a week after coming home. I would not suggest taking this."

Lisa (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2018

For Acne "Never had acne especially in high school I had the clearest skin. I started college and work, and TBH I was very depressed. I got acne on my chin, then slowly on my jawline, and all over my face, I tried everything, nothing seems to work. I really wanted to go on Accutane because my self-esteem and confidence were gone. I was ready to do anything to get rid of my acne. I went and visited a dermatologist, he prescribed me Bactrim with spironolactone. The first two weeks I would say I kinda got a breakout but then after like four weeks my skin was clear, acne free. I still got some scaring, but no active acne which is good. One side effect I would say is that I felt very tired and sleepy. I would defiantly say try this before going on accutane."

Neelab (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2018

For Acne "I've tried absolutely everything and was really depressed with my hormonal, cystic acne. I was feeling hopeless. I told my derm that I was set on accutane but he was persistent about me giving this a shot first. Within a week my acne is 95% gone. TRY IT! I am so thankful for this medication. Don't give up hope :)"

c (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2018

For Sinusitis "I have a severe sinus infection that been lasting on and off for months. Dr put me on Bactrum for 15 days. I'm on day 12 with zero improvement. Actually I'm worse. No voice, face hurts, throat swollen, glands swollen. I feel the pill isn't do anything at all."

Sick of Being Sick (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I mean a lot of people on here are saying it didn’t work that’s probably because you have a different strain of bacteria from your UTI. It’s a guess & checking game until your urine culture comes back. Yep every two months I get a freaking UTI. I have one now:)) and am on bactrim I think it’s my second time. First time worked now I think I have a different strain. If you don’t eat yogurt before you take it prepare for extreme nausea and feeling like you’re on a horrible drug. Literally makes my eyes dilate. I feel high and nauseous. Taking a drug this strong especially for first guess diagnosis of strains is so idiotic. Refuse if your doctor prescribes it as a first guess. Don’t put your body through that unnecessarily. Seriously."

Jessie (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2018

For Kidney Infections "I was prescribed bactrim twice daily for a week for a suspected kidney infection. I only got through two and a half days of the medication before I stopped taking it because I was so tired I couldn’t function and my skin became sore in certain places. I was taking 3-4 naps a day and my muscles were so weak I had to sit to even brush my hair. I am 28 weeks pregnant and a mother to a 20 month old so there is no way I could get through a week of not being able to function. I couldn’t even hold my daughter without having to sit down."

Allijo1314 (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was given a 3 day prescription to treat a UTI. After taking the first dose I noticed I felt a little anxious, but went to bed. I woke up about 3 hours later with rapid heart beat, mild nausea, cold sweat, restlessness. This continued for about 6 more hours. I was able to drink plenty of liquid to try to flush it out of me which worked pretty well. Twelve hours later I feel a lot more normal, but now tired from the experience. I won't take this again. This reaction was worse than my symptoms of the UTI."

Ran June 27, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I went to Planned Parenthood for a UTI. They gave me bactrim. I've never taken it before, as far as I know. After the first day I had shortness of breath and was pretty lethargic. I felt awful and I was panicky because I couldn't breath well. I decided after the third pill to stop taking it, to test whether it was the medication. I'm feeling better now and am on cipro instead. I wouldn't recommend bactrim. I'm not sure if a lot of people are allergic to it or what but that's the first thing they asked me before prescribing it."

Sue (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was prescribed bactrim before going on a work trip. After taking three of the pills, I was still in excruciating pain and was out of town. I felt better after the fourth dose but then once I finished the medicine, the pain came back. It turns out the strand of bacteria from my UTI was resistant to batrim so I was put on nitrofurantoin. I’m sure bactrium works just fine if it is meant for your particular UTI I had no other side effects."

Uti (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I got to start mine today and y'all got me scared, I think I'll start them suckers tomorrow! "

Chelle (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "I was prescribed a 10-day course of Bactrim as a preventative measure after an injury. My wound healed well and no major problems other than nausea until Day 9, when I broke out in a rash. Started on my arms, quickly spread to trunk, legs, and face. The rash was painful, swollen, and hot to the touch. It felt similar to a bad sunburn. Started taking Benadryl every 4-6 hours until I could get to the dr, where I got a steroid shot. So far that seems to be helping a lot. Dr says I am allergic to sulfa drugs and make sure never to take it again or it could be even worse next time."

MamaLlama (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2018

For Otitis Media "Nasty side effects but very very slowly relieved symptoms. Took many days to get used to side effects. Better than the other antibiotic I seem to be allergic to, though. Nausea, chest pains/anxiety, insomnia, night sweats, headache, dehydration."

Nogo (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2018