User Reviews for Bactrim

Infection ProphylaxisNot rated - Add rating2 reviews 24 medications
Summary of Bactrim reviews 6.0 366 reviews

Reviews for Bactrim

Jackson July 13, 2019

For Bacterial Infection "After 2 days my fever rose to 102.8, I had severe kidney pain, and a burning sensation under my skin. Diarrhea soon followed, and then I began throwing up. I went to a different doctor and she did a blood test and urine test. My red blood count was very high, but my white count was perfect. She told me to stop Bactrim immediately and to never take it again, I felt like I had been poisoned."

Racso · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 10, 2019

For Infection Prophylaxis "On this sulfamethoxazole with trimethoprim the generic version. 800 mg every 3 days. Preventive for lumbar laminectomy post surgery. Effective so far. About 3+ years prophylactic treatment. Will report on interaction w Lisinopril , metformin and new meds x post radical cystectomy."

pmbourque · Taken for less than 1 month June 7, 2019

For Bacterial Infection "I've been fighting a frustrating cavitational infection in my palate for years. I've lost count how many different kinds of antibiotics I've taken that were useless. They ruined my gut, made me miserable and gave me headaches. I'm loving this stuff Bactrim!! Not one side effect!"

Yazzy · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2019

For Bacterial Skin Infection "My son was prescribed this drug after being hospitalized for an eczema infection. Then 7 days later he is covered in pin dotted rash and high fever due to bactrim. The Dr told me to give him benadryl every 4 hours for now. He can't sleep at night, I'm worried his rash will get worse and he will stop breathing. Dr says to rush him to the ER if symptoms get worse. This drug should not be given to a 9 year old."

Bj · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection "Had a severe UTI was prescribed Bactrim seemed to help quickly. Then started having horrific headaches and heart burn. I try not to google meds because it’s scary. But the headaches were so bad I googled and saw this drug has high rate of headaches. Shocked and concerned because I have a brain aneurysm. Only have one dose left to take. NOPE not taking it. On my way to my vascular neurologist in Portland."

kdezzle · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2019

For Bacterial Skin Infection "Posting my experience to hopefully put some minds at ease as reading these reviews really scared me! I am very sensitive to antibiotics and have had adverse reactions to the past three I have taken. I was prescribed Bactrim for a nasty spider bite to help it & prevent further infection. On day two I already experience immense relief from the pain and the bite started to shrink. I now am on day five and have had no side effects at all except some fatigue and minor nausea at night. Definitely bearable. Be sure to take a probiotic and remember everyone’s body is different! I am happy I finally found an antibiotic that agrees with me."

Jane May 10, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection "Took Bactrim for a UTI. I had never taken it before. At day 3 I started feeling horrible, short of breath and intense stomach pain. I had never had a UTI before so I assumed this might be just a bad UTI. Day 6 I was shaking with chills and could not pee AT ALL. Went to the ER, I had a fever, high eosinophils, and a very elevated creatinine. Turns out I had an acute kidney injury from bactrim. I was given fluids and I woke up the next morning covered in the most painful drug rash. That rash lasted two weeks. Not to mention I was put on prednisone for the rash and because I had interstitial nephritis. The prednisone drove me out of my mind. Awful experience."

Josephine Tangerine · Taken for less than 1 month May 6, 2019

For Bacterial Skin Infection "I went to the ER for bug bites that got huge and gave me a rash. At first, they gave me steroid cream and sent me off. Went back few hours later after they doubled in size. They gave me an antibiotic shot and 2 Bactrim pills to take there plus prescription for Bactrim 3x daily. Within 24 hours, the cellulitis was almost all gone. 48 hours, it just looks like light bruising. Thank you Bactrim! However, I do have a bad sore throat now!!"

Jamesspot777 May 2, 2019

For Bacterial Infection "I took bactrim twice a day for 10 days after completing the script all the side effects started: dizziness, confusion, cramps in legs, swelling of glands one on the back of my head, two in my throat, my thyroid swollen too these are just the glands I can see. I also have problems urinating, burning from the kidneys down. Its been 7 days since my last dose I'm still having side effects when will this be over I wish I had never taken this medication."

Rosepelish · Taken for less than 1 month May 1, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection "Not a good option for me- I will never take again. I was prescribed Bactrim for a reoccurring UTI. I think I may have have taken it before and done fine... but not this time. I took my first pill in the evening and vomited. I didn’t really think much about it. I have the lap-band so that’s not all that unusual. I took my second dose the next morning and started going about my day. I started feeling body aches in all of my joints within four hours with a slight headache. By the afternoon I couldn’t tolerate light. I had a high fever and was short of breathe. I was itchy and some of my skin tags had become swollen and irritated. Every cell in my body hurt like I had been beaten with a bat. It was miserable and I felt like death. Those symptoms lasted all night. The headache was the most debilitating part for me. Kind of afraid to take the new RX after that experience."

Rescuelady99 · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection "Prescribed to my 77 yr old mother for a UTI She was prescribed twice a day for 10 days and she took 8 days and it has almost shut her kidneys down and she has fluid around her heart and lungs ICU doctors say it started because of this medicine Bactrim DO NOT GIVE TO ELDERLY people !!! I wish I could sue the doctor for giving her this poison"

AL · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2019

For Acne "I tried minocycline first and found out I was allergic (broke out in red rash all over my neck and chest), and then my doctor prescribed me the bactrim. This has been a great for me so far. I have really bad cystic acne and scarring and this has cleared it up so much in just a matter of a few weeks with no harsh side effects! Would recommend talking to your doctor about this for acne."

Celtic · Taken for less than 1 month April 18, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection "Day one: shortly after taking Bactrim my stomach hurt so I took it with yogurt. Vomited 5 times during the day. 2nd day: same. Couldn't keep any food down. 3rd day called doc; she said " oh keep taking ". After the most horrible week of continuous vomiting and diarrhea I quit. In 2 weeks I lost 20 lbs. this was a year and a half ago. My stomach hasn't been ok since; doc says an ulcer! Don't take it!"

Sesa · Taken for less than 1 month March 24, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection "Excellent, took bactrim twice a day for 5 days with no side effects, worked quickly for a very painful and lingering UTI that nitrofurantoin (Macrobid) failed to cure."

Sad:( · Taken for less than 1 month March 20, 2019

For Bacterial Skin Infection "It's 1 in the morning and I am still having breathing problems after being rushed to the hospital due to an allergy to bactrim. They gave me an EpiPen its been 2 hours and I am still having trouble breathing. I'm very young and healthy and something like this never happened to me before. I'm very scared and worried that taking this medicine has given me even worse problems. Has anyone else had this experience?"

Ruxin · Taken for less than 1 month March 17, 2019

For Bacterial Infection "I was given a three day supply of bactrim for my post vasectomy recovery. I've just finished the second of two days and so far so good. One side effect though, and it may be an accidental benefit, it's cleaning me out- in fact everything feels better and things are more normal in consistency. I haven't increased or changed my diet in the last few days, just increased output and I feel better overall."

AprilMay · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2019

For Bacterial Skin Infection "My husband was prescribed Bactrim in late April 2009 for what the dr thought was MRSA. Results came back negative and was told to continue taking it. 4-7 days into his antibiotic and his gums bled after brushing his teeth...then his hands turned purple from pushing the lawn mower and under his arms he had petechiae. He was bleeding internally and he had a platelet count of 1,000 (he was very close to death and we didn't know it). The bactrim had caused the low platelet count which means the blood can't clot. He had to have 2 transfusions and then caught Meningitis as well. Bactrim is a very strong antibiotic; use with caution."

Catsmeow · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection "Prescribed bactrim at clinic for suspected UTI. 3 pills later - swallowing and throat issues which lasted a couple of months, digestions problems, loss of appetite and weight, horrible anxiety for 4 months, just lessening now at 5 months. Horrible med for me. Never again. Makes me never want to take another med."

TwistedRose · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was given bactrim for a UTI and it didn't help me at all. I had some side effects but nothing major but for the UTI it didn't work at all."

Eagles Football · Taken for 10 years or more March 2, 2019

"So, I've been taking bactrim for close to 15 years now. I take it to help with severe skin pain. 25 years ago I started to have severe skin pain, rashes, along with achy body all over. I've been to well over 100 doctors, I've had every blood test imaginable. Always normal test results. I take lyrica and cymbalta which helps some with the skin pain. 15 years ago I developed a rash in the groin area, doctor put me on Bactrim, almost immediately my total body skin pain started to subside and the always achy body feeling went away. My rash cleared up, however as soon, as I stopped the bactrim, my never ending skin pain returned. So, doctor suggested I try taking a bit longer 30 days. My skin pain and achy body is drastically reduced as soon bactrim is started. All pain returns when bactrim is stopped. So on bactrim for 15 years. My body and skin feel almost normal when on bactrim. No bad side effects."

Misha · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection "Today was day 6/7, and I’m finally feeling a big difference. Even though the burning went away around day 4, I felt pressure in the tissues because they were swollen. I called the doctor early on asking why it wasn’t working. She told me to wait and finish the pills, since I wasn’t allergic. These antibiotics worked super slow for me, unlike others in the past that start working the next day. The worst side effect it gave me was fatigue. I wanted to sleep all the time. I’m going to finish them tomorrow, and start taking D-mannose everyday so it doesn’t reoccur, just so I don’t have to take antibiotics again."

JnMn77 · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 18, 2019

For Acne "I had clear skin until 22 when I broke out with severe acne that bled while I was sleeping and constant pimples popping on my face. It was the most terrifying and most embarrassing time in my life. Dermatologist IMMEDIATELY wanted me on accutane, but suffered a severe side effect. I did my own research and asked to be prescribed Bactrim. After being on this drug now for 6 years my severe acne has almost been reduced to zero.. but some body acne here and there, but this drug has been a miracle.."

topmom · Taken for less than 1 month February 5, 2019

For Kidney Infections "Am presently using bactrim for a kidney infection. Prescribed for 10 days 2 per day. After 3 days I already feel great. No side effects at all. Totally satisfied."

Callie33021 · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection "I have been taking this med twice per day for the past 3 days with no adverse side effects so far. My UTI symptoms have greatly diminished."

Cris January 27, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection "Not to bad over all . Kind of strong but seems to make me feel better , minus the cold sweats and nausea ."