User Reviews for Bactrim

Learn more about Bactrim.

Acne 66 reviews 504 medications

Prostatitis 6 reviews 48 medications

2.1
Summary of Bactrim reviews 266 reviews 5.7

Reviews for Bactrim

For Bacterial Skin Infection "I had an incredibly bad reaction to Bactrim that led to Multiple Organ dysfunction / failure. I ended up in ICU for several days with liver and kidney failure that progressed into a pulmonary edema / A.R.D.S.. I came very close to dying after my kidneys shot down and my lungs filled with fluid. I have now been advised to never take another Sulfa based drug."

D.S. (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI i and after one dose I immediately developed a splitting headache followed later by weakness, body aches, chills, fever, slight nausea, cough and sore throat. I feel as if I have the flu. I suppose the medication did do what it was supposed to do because the UTI feels as if it's almost completely gone (I'm sure it isn't but at least it doesn't hurt). I will say I don't think the side effects are worth it. I'm in a lot of pain and discomfort and I think I'll be going to the emergency room just to be on the safe side."

Cassandra M August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was perscribed Bactrim for a UTI. Day one I thought I had the Flu. Day 2 I could barely walk. Joints hurt very bad ankles, knees, wrists and shoulders.I stopped taking this medication. Called the doctor to prescribe something else."

Hunter4580 (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "It worked the first time I had a UTI. No change in symptoms the second time I was prescribed this medication since it is a weaker antibiotic for UTIs. Didn't really have any negative side effects besides not wanting to eat, but I think that was just the demon from hell UTI."

OneWithFrequentUTI's (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Hello all, just thought I'd share my experience with Bactrim. I'm a petite girl- as far as side effects goes I had almost none the first few days, but now on my 4th/5th day I am noticing the side effects appearing! Which are (for me) headaches, constipation (watch what you eat with this or else you'll get blocked up), loss of appetite (I'm not hungry almost at all), and oddly enough pain when I breath in (possibly mild pericarditis). I also can't seem to focus. But nothing too horrible. I take this on an empty stomach every time and it is absolutely fine. BUT- 3/10 pills left and I still have symptoms of a UTI !!! Ugh. So maybe it did not work for me."

123Doodles123 July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection "I'm currently 15 months out from taking 2 pills of Bactrim and it was the worst side effects of my life. It started with uncontrollable anxiety and depression. I didn't feel connected with reality and I felt very confused. By the second night I was unable to sleep and that is still plaguing me. I shook the anxiety and depression within a few weeks but my sleep didn't become bearable for about 7 months and then it was still terrible. To this day I have poor quality sleep, confusion and occasionally onset insomnia. Avoid this drug. I also had a similar reaction to Levoquin. It gets better just ridiculously slowly. Others recover within days."

James123451245 June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "It's the silver bullet! Well, for me at least. I can only add my highest recommendation for Bactrim to treat my cystic acne, the kind that produces cysts around 2-3 cm in diameter all over my body and face. I've been on Accutane and every other antibiotic there is, but the Bactrim has saved me. It is hard on your digestive system, and I still haven't come up with a good solution for that yet, but I can certainly live with it if it means no more painful cysts which need to be cut out and operated on medically (no fun at all). I've always had cystic acne, but the Bactrim seems to kill the bacteria that produce the cysts, so as long as it keeps working I'm happy."

Tulloch (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "Bactrim has been very effective for me, and I've taken it on and off for seven years. I have had no serious side effects (at least none which manifested as of now), and the Bactrim does a good job of controlling my acne. Side effects are a big deal in acne medication (Accutane dried my skin and tetracycline caused ear ringing). While I occasionally get a breakout while on Bactrim, the severity and frequency of the acne has decreased. On a side note, I've found my acne is most well behaved with a low or no dairy diet."

AcneSuffererinTX (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I took this medication for the first day and I only ate a small breakfast just so I could take the medicine. I was sick all day and felt like I had the flu. So the next day, I are a full meal (so that I was completely stuffed) and no side effects. THIS MEDICINE MUST BE TAKEN WITH A FULL MEAL"

hgghjbcdk May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Severe UTI, lasting a month with one course of antibiotics that did nothing. Was in so much pain, never knew your bladder could pulse! People who have never had it, can't understand that a car journey is your worst nightmare! Now on day five of sulfatrim and symptoms were clear by two days. All I notice is my guts are a mess, slight sickness and a wave of tiredness after taking the tablet. Compared to the misery of a UTI, small side effects are bearable!"

Toaster123 (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Prostatitis "I took one pill of a two week prescription and immediately had a splitting headache. Six hours later I had difficulty breathing. Body aches and joint pain also kicked in. Two days later I am finally starting to feel better, but my right knee still hurts. This drug is (almost) banned in the U.K. And should be looked at by the FDA. You need to know if you are allergic to the sulfa class of drugs before even thinking about taking this drug."

Sidecar (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection "Very annoying side effect for me was the constant air bubbles stuck in my throat. Bad taste and tastebuds are effected....felt like mouth and throat were slightly numb and felt as if I had a thick film in mouth/throat. Constantly felt like I had to swallow."

Cdcd April 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis "I've been plagued with UTI's my entire adult life and Bactrim was my go to drug. I got a sinus infection 2 weeks ago and Dr said take Bactrim. My tongue swelled up and sores developed on it, that was AWFUL! I've never had any reaction before. I'm really disappointed because it's always been my go to."

Cyneburh March 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "The ONLY side effect I had from this medicine so far is very slight fatigue right after I take it. Had a pretty bad UTI, took the first dose ( 2 a day every 12 hours) and within a short amount of time there was no more burning, fullness feeling, or pain. I take this for 10 days and I am on day 7. And no dizziness, nausea, vomiting or anything. Don't be afraid to take this medicine BUT! EAT BEFORE YOU TAKE IT!! Like a full meal! I think many people aren't doing this and you should."

Brit431 March 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Kidney Infections "I had a UTI that went into a kidney infection, They put me on Bactrim, Didn't notice any side effects until a few days later, I started feeling depressed out of no where and it got worse from there, I ended up in the hospital with the worst headache of my life, I was shaking and throwing up I didn't even think it had anything to do with the Bactrim. The depression got so bad I ended up at the psychiatric hospital, I had no idea why I was feeling like this, it was by far the worst feeling in the world, When I came home and went to see my therapist and told her what was going on she immediately asked me what medicine they put me on and when I told her she said look up the side effects to that and sure enough everything was listed."

Arey March 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis "I have had a severe reaction to Bactrim multiple times and only just recently put it together. According to my doctor, Bactrim has a super rare side effect in which it can cause drug-induced meningitis. I was prescribed Bactrim last month for a sinus infection and after a single dose was extremely ill and ended up hospitalized with viral meningitis. My intracranial pressure that was read with the spinal tap was 62 and normal readings are under 20. This was the third time I have taken Bactrim and the reactions increased in severity with each incident."

Shell1010 March 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I just got sick from now this medication is never going to work for me I took at 3pm and I just got sick at almost 12 am not even sure if the medication passed through my system"

Leila H March 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I'm only on my second day of this medication but I feel it is never going to work. I still have mild symptoms and a headache. I'll be heading back to the ER if I don't feel better."

Shalonn B March 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Worst medicine ever!!!!! I got this to get rid of my UTI and while taking it I had the worst side effects. Itching, rash, headaches. And I am off the medication finally it's been a week now and I am still getting headache's. I don't know what to do. I wish I never took it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "Okay, so I had suffered with Acne ever since I hit puberty.. I was a 'pizza' face, so to say.. I had tried multiple things and thousands of dollars to try and get rid of my acne... Eventually though, I found out I had PCOS, so yay! Hormonal Acne. ._. Anywaaays, My dermatologist prescribed me Bactrim along with Spironolactone. Within a week, I had a completely clear face. No acne at all... But unfortunately, after 3-4 week I found out I I was apart of the unlucky few who ended up being allergic to it. So sad. If I could ever take it again, I would in a heart beat. But It has been about 6 months since I've been on Bactrim and I am still pretty much clear with very few breakouts."

Idkwhattonamemyself February 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Nightmare antibiotics!!!!!!!!!!Yes. It took care of uti.......Right away. But!!!!!!!!!I felt tumbling in my entire body, couldn't breath ,felt like I was dying, chocking, and overall felt dizzy as hell....No more!!!!!!!!Theres no way....Do not take it. Try anything else. This is killing product....Disgrace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Lyena February 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "Never had a whole lot of acne through high school until I jumped on steroids (deca/sustanon) I got moderate-severe cystic acne after about 6 weeks and had it for about 3-4 months and finally got put on bactrim DS. It did wonders went through 3 bottles and was back to normal I kept the 4th bottle for precautionary reasons no acne came back"

Kaleb13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection "Was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI . Within minutes of taking my first dose I became extremely itchy and developed welts... I stopped taking it and it took two days for the itch to calm down. So apparently I'm allergic to it. Had to get a different drug called in which was CIPRO will not take that one do to bad side effects so now I'm on Macrobid. Will see how this goes."

Dreamspirit February 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection "I had a bacterial infection and feeling ill, and the doctor prescribed Bactrim. I didn't think it was helping as my illness took a turn for the worst. I had fever, chills, muscle weakness and pain, stomach pain, and I couldn't get out of bed. I'd start to feel better after a few hours and thought it was finally working. Nope. I took my next dose of Bactrim and all the symptoms came back full strength and I was severely ill again. I finally linked it to Bactrim and stopped taking it. My symptoms cleared up over the course of a few days. I learned my grandmother and mother have a severe sulfa allergy, and I found out the hard way I do too. Words just don't describe how sick I was on this medication."

Whitehusky3 (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Kidney Infections "Bactrim was killing my stomach no matter how much food and water I took with it. I was in constant stomach pain. Had to change it the second day."

bellamia02 February 13, 2017