User Reviews for Bactrim

Prostatitis

Infection ProphylaxisNot rated - Be the first1 review 24 medications
Summary of Bactrim reviews 6.1 342 reviews

Reviews for Bactrim

For Urinary Tract Infection "Was given Bactrim for my UTI. Read online reviews and was terrified of taking it, especially since I had a severe allergic reaction to Cipro years ago. Literally nothing happened. Some mild stomach issues, a small headache here and there and tons of anxiety (my own doing) but it went pretty well. Symptoms of UTI went away in a day or less. Don't read reviews...you don't know other people's bodies and what conditions they have that contribute to their side effects."

UseYourJudgement (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2019

For Kidney Infections "Horrible medication. Vomiting, skin rash --headache-- joint pain. Can barely get off toilet knees hurt so bad Sore throat. I was ok until I took 1 pill. I'm worse from taking it. Should be classified as poison not medication."

Sb (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2019

For Acne "I have had severe acne since I was 10 (I’m 35 now). I have very oily skin, & get cystic acne usually around the time of my period. I also have blackheads & small breakouts occasionally. I’ve tried every Rx out there, including Accutane once in my 20’s & again in my 30’s. It’s very effective but unfortunately it’s not a complete cure for me. When my cystic acne flares up I use Bactrim and it’s amazing!! It clears my skin right up. It does have a very drying effect (which is fine since I’m so oily!) but it makes my lips chapped too. I only use it for 7-10 days a month. If I use it longer than that my lips start to peel & crack. So I take a break & use it at the first sign of trouble. It’s worth noting that I’ve tried doxycycline & minocycline with no results besides an upset stomach. So if you are considering taking Bactrim, do it! I use it with Retin-A."

KMC (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 8, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was prescribed to take two pills daily for 7 days for a UTI. Took as directed with plenty of water for a few days with no problem, and my UTI symptoms cleared up. However, I’m on the fourth day and the side effects have really begun to set it. I have constant fatigue (so much so that I almost fainted in the shower and get tired from just standing), severe headache, dizziness, ringing in my ears, and joint pain. All I can really do is lay in bed and drink lots of water because doing anything else makes me feel very ill. I’m extremely sensitive to minocycline, but didn’t expect to have such bad side effects from Bactrim, considering they’re a totally different class of drug. Seems to be effective at treating my UTI but unfortunately the side effects aren’t worth it."

Mic (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection "Like many others who have shared their experience with this awful medicine, I had a horrific time with it. Horrible indigestion, headache and anxiety like I’ve never had before. Never again!!!"

KATO (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was prescribed a 5 day course of Bactrim to get rid of a UTI. Giving it a 5 rating because it worked, but I have been so sick since taking it. I have flu-like symptoms, chills, sweating, dizziness and severe nausea. Tylenol helps with the head and body aches. I took my last dose yesterday and still feel like garbage. Hope it gets better soon."

Bgirl (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2018

For Acne "Bactrim is a miracle. No Joke. I have suffered from acne since puberty and doctors put me on topicals and all the "cyclins" even birth control didn't work. The dermatologist was about to put me on accutane, which I really didn't want to do, so I went to another dermatologist who prescribed me Bactrim. Within two weeks on Bactrim, I was clear and my skin was glowing and soft."

yup (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 18, 2018

For Acne "I've struggled with hormonal acne for years and years...this is the ONLY medication that has cleared up my face! I forgot what it was like to have a pimple while I was on this medicine for almost 2 years... I was on it too long though and it caused major side effects and I ended up in the hospital because of it. It's a miracle pill, but be careful how long you use it!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 3, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Today was my first day taking it for a UTI which I feel as if it went away. It’s only been about an hour and I do not feel well at all. I’m dizzy and drowziness and everything. Cold sweats , it’s like my whole body is just weak. I can’t take it. It throws me into an anxiety attack. It’s like taking this medicine makes everything worse."

Tgladden November 14, 2018

For Kidney Infections "I went to the ER and was diagnosed with a severe kidney infection. I was prescribed with Bactrim 2 a day for 10 days I’m on day 6 and I’ve felt some nausea, headaches, and mild body aches and I’ve been very sleepy BUT as far as the pain from my kidney and chills etc I feel A LOT better !! I didn’t have any allergic reactions"

Ckrus (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2018

For Acne "Contrary to what the reviews say here, my acne did not improve at all on Bactrim. Not in the slightest. And my acne was of mild to moderate severity. On the positive side, it costs pennies--around $10 per month without insurance."

George (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "So glad I visited and read all these reviews. I thought I was going mad! I'm halfway through a 5 day x 2 a day script and feel just awful - fevers then freezing cold, aches, pains and dull headache and the nausea and reflux is like being pregnant (except I'm menopausal!). Hopefully the UTI is ebbing and like others, I can't wait to stop taking it in a couple of days."

Jamo (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was prescribed this for a UTI, after my doctor told me that the Macrobid I was prescribed earlier was resistant to the infection. After three days, I felt hardly any pain. By the fifth day, pain was all gone. The only thing that I wasn't prepared for, is that it made me really gassy. Other than that, I experienced no side effects."

cmb (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2018

For Bacterial Skin Infection "Bactrim for me gives me a sore on the bottom of my right foot. If I discontinue taking it the sore goes away but only now I realized it. I had a abscess yrs ago and took all of my medicine with one antibiotic was Bactrim and I was limping for days I then noticed a long red sore from my toes to the middle of my foot after treatment it formed a scab that eventually peeled off causing a dent on the bottom of my foot. Well today I forgot about the side effects of Bactrim and my same foot is starting to hurt again in the same exact spot. I think it is a Fixed drug eruption (FDE). I'm discontinuing this med for it does me no good..."

Lucky2222 (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I am on a three day dose of Bactrim twice a day for a slight UTI , I was fine the 1st day of taking the medication but since then I have felt so sick all day (I have taken it with full meals) and fatigued and diarrhea , it is horrible!!! I am on my last day and I can’t wait to be off of it because the nausea is the worst!!! I was worried that it was something else until I came here and read other people’s reviews and seeing as it didn’t start until after taking the medication! Mind you have taken this medication before and never had any side effects!"

Miranda (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Cured the UTI quickly, then all good until day 9 when I started having stomach pain & fatigue. I didn’t associate it with the antibiotic, until I became covered with a rash (non-itchy) all over my torso on day 10. Went to the dr and they attributed all the symptoms to an allergic reaction to Bactrim. I’ve never had any drug allergies previously."

MM (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2018

For Bacterial Skin Infection "Worst part of this was the size of the pill. Had to buy a pill cutter. Otherwise, it did make me a little moody and anxious but I did not have any other major symptoms. Took for 7 days for staph infection on skin."

lemonlime24 (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "After taking three pills I had a fever and end in Emergency Room with infection in my mouth and genitals. I was diagnosed with Thrush, Yeast."

IGM September 30, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Took it for 3 days and got sick and dizzy spells"

Nan September 26, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Never again!!!!!!!!!! I was put on this for 3 days-2 pills a day for a UTI. I was laid up in bed for 4 days. I was extremely nauseous, chills, sweats, headache, dizzy, couldn’t eat a single thing, and after day 2 I got a SEVERE yeast infection. The pain was unlike anything that has ever happened to me. Took 2 trips to the doctor and over a week to feel somewhat normal again down there. This was way to strong and unnecessary for a simple UTI infection. Never will I ever take this again. I wish I could give it a zero, I am still having nightmares about this drug"

jro (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2018

For Bacterial Infection "There seems to be a lot of people who have had side effects. But seriously, Bactrim is a drug with not many side effects for most people. The people who mainly think to write comments are usually the few that have had the bad reactions. For me it was fine."

Vance (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2018

For Bacterial Skin Infection "I'm thinking some of the side effects commented were possibly results of the condition and not the medication. I have MRSA. Of course I have chills because the abscess are a massive infection. One person mentioned organ failure. MRSA entering the bloodstream would do that too. So far so good here- still early on. I was on clindamycin for a tooth abscess. I must have been unknowingly treating a mild staph infection. When the clindamycin stopped the bacteria became aggressive. Now here I am on Bactrim. One sore has lightened in color and pressure within 24 hours. The other sores still hurt, so I took ibuprofen. You won't get headaches if taken with pain/ fever reducer. The clindamycin wrecked my gut but I actually haven't had a hard time with the Bactrim. I've been sure to eat something or drink a glass of milk before taking it."

Michelle (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2018

For Bacterial Skin Infection "I recently had a boil lanced and was prescribed Bactrim. About 45 minutes after taking the first dose, which two tablets, I began to have a severe itch throughout my body. I tongue, throat, face and hands started to swell. Had to taken to the ER due to an anaphylactic reaction. I found out I am allergic to this type of medication. I am now leery of any type of new medication being prescribed."

Bonnie August 29, 2018

For Bacterial Skin Infection "I was very hesitant to take this drug after reading the reviews online. Indeed, I was prescribed it for a bacterial skin infection. However, it did little to nothing to eliminate my infection. On day 1 of taking it, I started getting minor headaches. Every time I took a dose after that it made my headache even worse. It just felt like I was putting something harmful in my body. If you're ever in a situation where you are prescribed it (and it's not a life or death situation), tell your doctor no. Do it it for your own body's sake."

L August 22, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Was diagnosed with my third UTI in a two month span. They ran a urine culture and sensitivity for my 3rd and found there was resistance to the first 2 types of antibiotics I'd been on, but Bactrim worked. Finishing my prescription in the morning and have felt just fine, no side effects. I'm a nursing mother and all the antibiotics have made my son's poop green, however."

Meg (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2018