User Reviews for Bactrim

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Bactrim.

Acne

Prostatitis
2.1

Summary of Bactrim reviews 5.6 284 reviews

Reviews for Bactrim

For Kidney Infections "I was prescribed Bactrim for a kidney infection. I took two doses, 500 mgs each. After the first dose, I began to feel lousy. I assumed it was a side effect. The second dose almost killed me. I went to the ER, where I was stabilized enough to move me to ICU. Before I lost consciousness, my blood pressure was 35/27. I woke up 3 days later with a central line, severely swollen body, and my skin was bright red, like a severe sunburn. I spent 3 weeks in the hospital, with my blood pressure constantly plummeting. I apparently have a severe allergy."

Sarah2210 December 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I've taken Bactim three times and my UTI keeps returning and now I have to go to a urologist. Not a good time for me as I will be moving very soon and the Bactrim gives me a yeast infection. When will this problem end? Most miserable!"

Anonymous December 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "It's the first time I take Bactrim since my mom is usually taking it to cure her UTI. I don't have any prescription regarding my UTI so I tried it since it was recommended by my mom. As far as I know, I don't have allergies with medicine. After 2 hours of taking it, I woke up feeling itchy and my face was swollen. I wont take this med ever again even it cures UTI.."

Mjulnir November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Kidney Infections "I was a bit of a moron and let a UTI go for too long. I had pain on and off for a few months in my back. Pee was cloudy, frequent urination..all that good stuff but two days ago I woke up and felt absolutely terrible. I was so nauseous, couldn’t eat anything, awful headache, chills and the worst back pain I had ever felt. I went to Dr and she wrote this for me. I took two pills yesterday and already today I feel a 100x’s better. I don’t believe it is for everyone obviously due to the mixed reviews and my mother had taken it before and it had awful effects on her as well but I do believe it’s worth trying because for me it’s been wonderful. I couldn’t even bend over yesterday and today all I have is slight dull pain in my back.Worked perfect"

Ashxlynn88 (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection "Severe head feeling hot. Felt like head was swelling. Severe swelling of the face. Extreme itching in hands and feet. Confusion. Only took one tablet."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was on 3 different antibiotics none helped to rid the UTI. I was then given bactrim, my second dose I felt so bad I felt like going to the ER. My head hurt day and night, I was nauseous just couldn’t function. I called the doctor, he told me to continue taking it, it is a strong medication. He said if I couldn’t take the pills he would have to give it with an IV antibiotics. I am being told I have this UTI and it is so bad that’s what I have to take. I have no symptoms of a UTI."

Hogput November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I used to get UTIs every month or two until I finally started my daily dose of Raw Organic Apple Cider vinegar with “mother” mixed with honey water. It has been the only thing that has helped. I am now on my 8th month of no UTIs! It really surprised me as I’m not big into homeopathic remedies."

Frequent uTI er October 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "First time prescribed Bactrim for mild UTI. Second day I had flu like symptoms. After day 4 I was feeling so poorly I went to ER where I was told just flu and to rest and to finish Bactrim so it will clear up UTI. Day 5 fever of 105, rushed to hospital where I passed out. Completely dehydrated and organs where showing signs of sepsis. I was in ICU unit for 3 days. The diagnosis was “allergy to sulfa”. However, that’s not really an allergic response. I think it causes the body to dehydrate faster than normal, and my actual problem was intense dehydration. Bactrim was banned in UK after a number people died. I’ll never take it again."

Anti Bactrim October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Horrible drug ! I had a migraine for the full three course time I was suppose to take it. I tried ibuprofen 800mg and that didn't seem to help enough . I kept having to take another to kill the pain. Seriously yeah it may get rid of your infection but avoid this drug. Also, I ate bread with a yogurt and my stomach still burned like hell. It felt like there was a ulcer or something . Never taking this again!!!!!!!!!"

ladayblues October 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Didn’t treat my UTI and the medication was taken as prescribed with plenty of fluids. Turned into a kidney infection. BACTRIM doesn't work"

It didn’t work (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Everyone reacts to drugs in different ways however I will never again take bactrim. I started feeling tired and got a bad headache the second day after taking it. That same night was even worse... I felt nauseous, my head hurt even worse, and all I could do was cry. I felt like I wasn't even in my own body. The medicine definitely messed with my head. It was the worst feeling ever. Now I know to never take bactrim or any other sulfur drugs!"

Va0001 October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I got a UTI a month ago. I went to a clinic and they prescribed Macrobid and it did little to nothing for my UTI. I then went to my uni campus clinic and they prescribed the same thing (I didn’t know they were the same thing at the time because this time it was the generic version so it had a different name) and again it did nothing. I was so frustrated and in so much pain so finally I went back for a 3rd time and they prescribed me Bactrim and within a couple hours I already felt SO much better. The bactrim did more in a few hours than the Macrobid did in 2 weeks. I did get mild nausea and some fatigue but that’s it. Take it with food and yogurt to prevent this!"

Holly777777 October 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was a little worried after reading the reviews... and on top of that my mom had a really bad reaction (fever, horrible chills, etc.). I was a little queasy the first few dose, but it wasn't even enough to keep me from eating. After that I had no side effects at all. Overall my experience was great!"

Liz28 (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Quick reduction of symptoms"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Infection Prophylaxis "My 13yr old daughter has DiGeorge syndrome and she was on a number of meds. They had no interactions. But shortly after giving her this med (to prevent ear infections that she is prone to) she began to have seizures. I thought it was the bactrim and I think I was right. The Drs wouldn't listen. To me so I did my own tests. I took her off the bactrim for 6 months and she was fine. Then they said put her back on it. So against my better judgment I did and with in 4 days she was having seizures again. So I decided to not give it to her. Anyway they called dcs on me. And took my kids away. Now I'm fighting for them. But at my last court date they threw 5hose charges out."

Tarahelper September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I had fairly clear skin until I turned 25. My skin started freaking out and everyday I was waking up with a new cysts under my skin. Most of them gathered on my right cheek. I literally became a hermit for months and months because my self esteem was at an all time low. I could feel people staring at them during conversations. My dermatologist put me on two separate antibiotics and both seemed to actually make my skin worse. At my most recent visit, my dermatologist put me on Bactrim. We both talked about how I will have to get on accutane if this didn't work. After a week of taking Bactrim, my skin is completely clear (minus the scarring). I couldn't be more pleased. Finally feeling like myself again. :)"

Charlotte704 (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "I've been on Bactrim and Aczone 7.5% for about a month now and my face is completely clear! I started noticing less breakouts the second week and by the end of the third week I had no new ones. I apply the Aczone in the morning before putting on makeup and then again at night after I wash my face. I'm not totally sure if it's the Bactrim or the Aczone that's clearing it up (maybe a combination?) but it's improved so much that even my bf mentioned that he noticed a difference this past week. I've also experienced no major side effects. My only concern is that once I slowly start to come off the medication, will the acne come back. Definitely give it a shot though if you've been struggling with acne and don't want to resort to Accutane!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I have always taken Bactrim for a UTI and it has always worked with zero side effects. I took two every 12 hours for ten days and I'm perfectly fine now. "

Suz44 September 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Skin Infection "I had an incredibly bad reaction to Bactrim that led to Multiple Organ dysfunction / failure. I ended up in ICU for several days with liver and kidney failure that progressed into a pulmonary edema / A.R.D.S.. I came very close to dying after my kidneys shot down and my lungs filled with fluid. I have now been advised to never take another Sulfa based drug."

D.S. (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI i and after one dose I immediately developed a splitting headache followed later by weakness, body aches, chills, fever, slight nausea, cough and sore throat. I feel as if I have the flu. I suppose the medication did do what it was supposed to do because the UTI feels as if it's almost completely gone (I'm sure it isn't but at least it doesn't hurt). I will say I don't think the side effects are worth it. I'm in a lot of pain and discomfort and I think I'll be going to the emergency room just to be on the safe side."

Cassandra M August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was perscribed Bactrim for a UTI. Day one I thought I had the Flu. Day 2 I could barely walk. Joints hurt very bad ankles, knees, wrists and shoulders.I stopped taking this medication. Called the doctor to prescribe something else."

Hunter4580 (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "It worked the first time I had a UTI. No change in symptoms the second time I was prescribed this medication since it is a weaker antibiotic for UTIs. Didn't really have any negative side effects besides not wanting to eat, but I think that was just the demon from hell UTI."

OneWithFrequentUTI's (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Hello all, just thought I'd share my experience with Bactrim. I'm a petite girl- as far as side effects goes I had almost none the first few days, but now on my 4th/5th day I am noticing the side effects appearing! Which are (for me) headaches, constipation (watch what you eat with this or else you'll get blocked up), loss of appetite (I'm not hungry almost at all), and oddly enough pain when I breath in (possibly mild pericarditis). I also can't seem to focus. But nothing too horrible. I take this on an empty stomach every time and it is absolutely fine. BUT- 3/10 pills left and I still have symptoms of a UTI !!! Ugh. So maybe it did not work for me."

123Doodles123 July 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection "I'm currently 15 months out from taking 2 pills of Bactrim and it was the worst side effects of my life. It started with uncontrollable anxiety and depression. I didn't feel connected with reality and I felt very confused. By the second night I was unable to sleep and that is still plaguing me. I shook the anxiety and depression within a few weeks but my sleep didn't become bearable for about 7 months and then it was still terrible. To this day I have poor quality sleep, confusion and occasionally onset insomnia. Avoid this drug. I also had a similar reaction to Levoquin. It gets better just ridiculously slowly. Others recover within days."

James123451245 June 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "It's the silver bullet! Well, for me at least. I can only add my highest recommendation for Bactrim to treat my cystic acne, the kind that produces cysts around 2-3 cm in diameter all over my body and face. I've been on Accutane and every other antibiotic there is, but the Bactrim has saved me. It is hard on your digestive system, and I still haven't come up with a good solution for that yet, but I can certainly live with it if it means no more painful cysts which need to be cut out and operated on medically (no fun at all). I've always had cystic acne, but the Bactrim seems to kill the bacteria that produce the cysts, so as long as it keeps working I'm happy."

Tulloch (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 23, 2017