User Reviews for Bactrim

Learn more about Bactrim.

Bactrim Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 30 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Skin Infection.

Reviews for Bactrim to treat Bacterial Skin Infection

"Currently on day 3 of a 10 day antibiotic blast of Bactrim after 2 days on Keflex. What I had originally thought was a pimple on my septum just inside my right nostril turned out to be a staph infection. I had lances the "pimple" when it came to a head, thinking it would provide relief, however the infection spread across my nares and over the tip of my nose overnight. Went to urgent care as I instantly suspected staph as the culprit and was prescribed Keflex and Bactroban topical until my follow up with my PCP. Infection showed moderate improvement at my follow up, but was then prescribed Bactrim. Within 24 hours the itch and swelling had completely subsided. By 48 hours the sores were cluster-scabbing, and today they're falling off!"

Aclyesia (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

"Though it did cure the abscess in my ear, it caused severe (I mean SEVERE) muscle/bone pain in my legs, abdomen, and diaphragm. Later side effects were numbness with shooting pain in my left side leg and arm. I can barely walk. I had never taken Bacrtim before (sulfonamide). I was also on cephilexin but I do not believe that was the problem because I've taken that without issues. Please think twice before you take Bactrim. For me, the benefits certainly did not outweigh the risks. For now, I've lost my quality of life."

ItDoesntMatter (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2016

"Went to the hospital for a migraine - come to find my body was toxic and had an internal infection throughout. Doctor prescribed Bactrim and by itself with no aspirin it got rid of the headache. Apparently it does the job, does it well and does it fast for ME."

Laura D.... (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2016

"Day 3 on BACTRIM due to MRSA. Abscess was lanced and drained 5 days ago. Swelling/Pain of the abscess has finally begun remission. I did suffer from the reported migraine headache all day yesterday and it was quite debilitating, but no such headache today and I'm finally back at work. Also suffered from some seriously painful abdominal cramps that produced very loose/watery stool. Not much of an appetite today and feeling a little shaky so make sure you eat even if you don't want to. This drug is definitely very effective for treatment of MRSA. If the migraines were constant as others described I wouldn't not be back at work today. All my best wishes to everyone reading this."

irairainthegrass June 3, 2016

"Had cut my foot at a beach and was prescribed Bactrim, got the chills and chattering teeth, told to continue and next day had severe diahareea and vomiting at same time hospitalized for several days, body bloated to twice my normal size, near died, would never take a sulphur drug again especially Bactrim."

lolo28 April 11, 2016

"I was given Bactrim for vestibulitis, and a sinus infection, and bronchitis. The medicine was hardly effective. I just finished it. While on it all of my symptoms got worse and I had severe headaches and neck stiffness and I was so tired all day. I tried dealing with the side effects because I wasn't sure if it was the medicine or just being sick. Went back to my doctor today and because I'm not better he switched me to azothromycin and gave me some steroids for my energy levels. This medicine was awful. By the 7th day I was smelling and tasting the medicine all day. Really, I could've dealt with the side effects if the medicine helped me but it did not."

Csmien April 6, 2016

"My daughter had a small red angry looking flea bite, or so we thought. We tried to draw it out with hot compress. NO go. Went to Urgent Care the next day. Was given Bacrim 800+160. That was a Saturday. Wound was 1 times worse the next day. Went to ER. Was told NOT to use hot compress but keep taking the Bactrim. Today is Tuesday. Taking this medication doesnt seem to be doing much. She is red, imflammed badly, full of nastyness and pain. Using crutches as this is on her lower leg. Seeing surgeon in 2 days because the infection is now to deep. She is in tons of pain. Thankfully there is no fever as of yet but infection is looking more and more like MRSA. Scary stuff on an 18 year old who is constantly keeping herself clean."

Still on the Fence on this one (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2016

"I have just recently got out a living environment with a bunch of roomates, I found a small pimple under my arm and thought nothing of it, after a week it was so swollen and hot to touch I went to the ER. The doctor didn't want to cut the "pimple" open but I begged him to because of the pain-and he was glad he did...the amount of bacteria that came out was astonishing! He put me on bactrim and even though I had some side effects it went away.....but then I got another abcess on my head about 2 months later....took bactrim it went away....then 2 months after that i got another abcess on my finger....took bactrim it when away.....now i once again have 3 abscesses under my armpit and am currently on bactrim again! 4 months later!"

Nikki62382 December 12, 2015

"I was prescribed Bactrim for a skin infection and took one pill. Within less than an hour I was vomiting, shaking, sweating, and had severe diarrhea. I was literally unable to do anything but lay in bed with frequent bathroom trips for the next 24 hours. It was horrible. Never again."

Anonymous November 8, 2015

"Great med, but it always makes my lip swell and crack.....but the furuncle was gone!"

Crystal divine June 17, 2015

"I suddenly got a 5 angry red boils on my chin...and the next day another 10. I knew I better see a Doc quickly. My Doc prescribed Keflex 500mg, and said that in 3-4 days, it should start working. But the boils kept spreading to my upper lip and cheeks. So, I got in touch with the Doc. He promptly changed the med to Bactrim 800/160, twice daily. With the second pill, I felt that the battle with the bacteria had changed. No more new boils were forming, and existing ones started becoming black instead the fiery red. The black boils are hard and not painful to the touch. Now, it is only 2 days out of the 10 day dosage, but I feel I am on the way to recovery. I don't know what caused this infection but I switched out my old razor blade."

Yograj (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2015

"I was put on this medicine for a skin infection. I was reluctant to start it because of all the horror stories in the Internet. It does make me nauseous and it gives me a slight headache. Advil and Benadryl help with those side effects. I'm on the fourth day and my infection is nearly cleared. I was also given a Bactroban skin cream and that stuff is great. A pleasant side effect has been my skin clearing. I had perfect skin up until I hit 25 and then suddenly I had cystic acne on one side of my face. I was reluctant to take anything because it wasn't that bad, but the Bactrim has pretty much cleared it up."

khoffpauir (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2014

"I took Bactrim for a while now for bacteria of the hair follicles and it has helped a lot plus using dial soap. But every time I get boils it heals them. I don't have any side effects to the medicine. Every time I get this infection I have to take Bactrim because I can't take penicillin."

LaCole October 7, 2014

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Contacted MRSA and received Bactrim for 14 days and cleared. Three years later contacted cellulitus from a wound not taken care of by me. Bactrim took care of it. Dangerous conditions cured with Bactrim."

Hilgy September 16, 2014

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"If you're ever on antibiotics, it's best to take a probiotic to help with stomach upset. However, I read you should take them as far away from your dose of antibiotic as possible. So, if you have to take it twice a day: take the Bactrim at breakfast and dinner. Then take the probiotics directly between at around lunch time. Taking any antibiotics with food also helps. Certain antibiotics have different food instructions so ask your pharmacist. I'm currently on Bactrim for a urinary tract infection, but I also have an infected hair that's been causing me a lot of pain in my groin so I'm hoping this will help there as well."

ChelleeBelly June 15, 2014

"I was first prescribed Augmentin for an infection from a puncture wound near the nail bed of my thumb. It made me feel like I was suffering from morning sickness and did not work. Next I got Flagyl and Bactrim. The culture showed the Staph was sensitive to Bactrim and the wound is SO much better! Yes, there are some side effects (for me, insomnia but I don't know if that is Flagyl or Bactrim) but it is so much better than losing my finger! I also took Florastor with the medication to reduce intestinal upset and experienced none."

BL florida (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2014

"Can't live without having this in by medicine cabinet. At the onset of a suspected boil I take this and problem solved! I have been taking this for many years. Before Bactrim I had boil after boil, scars, and embarrassment. Miracle drug for boils, who cares about minor side effects!!!"

Lirpa13 October 30, 2013

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've had a few skin infections and cellulitis. Bactrim cleared it, visible within 24hrs."

jolly joe August 24, 2013

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"If you are prescribed Bactrim, take a probiotic with each pill and the side effects usually go away. Probiotics are over the counter. Before I could not take Bactrim or Keflex. Now no problem. I am on Bactrim for boils and taking the probiotic. "

Texan and cripple January 20, 2013

"Cellulitis or staph infection on index finger. Went to doc he prescribed this. It's making the infection (large boil) go down and kind of scab over. Having bad heartburn though, and having headaches."

Mason mcdonald January 14, 2013

"Taking Bactrim for spider bite on breast - working."

jbird1811 January 6, 2013

"From the second dose of the medicine, I started having terrible heartburn, stomach burning and nausea. The side effects out-weighed any benefits for me."

Anonymous July 13, 2012

"I was prescribed Bactrim for a bacterial skin infection under my arm. I get infections easily and am often on all kinds of antibiotics. Many bother me, but I have not had any problems at all while on Bactrim. And the skin infection has been clearing up very well (I'm almost done with the medication.) I'm very happy with this medication."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2012

"I am currently taking this medicine. I should be finishing it in two days have to take it twice for ten days. The whole time I've had migraines. And just recently I got a rash because I forgot to take it once yesterday. I've never been allergic to anything but I hope this rash goes away."

Anonymous March 25, 2012

"I stepped on a rusty nail and had alot of pain and foot started to swell. I started taking Bactrim and the pain went away within the first two pills which was 24 hrs. The only problem is that I can't function with the nausea, dizziness, loss of appetite, headache. I think its because of sensitive stomach."

Anonymous February 17, 2012