User Reviews for Sulfatrim

Sulfatrim has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 6 ratings on Drugs.com. 50% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 33% reported a negative experience.

Urinary Tract Infection
Bronchitis
Bacterial Skin Infection
Summary of Sulfatrim reviews 6.5 6 reviews

Coach · Taken for less than 1 month · February 1, 2019

For Bacterial Infection "MENTAL HEALTH WARNING: Even though it was the only drug working on my Community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA), it has rare chance of causing significant psychosis or extreme mood disorder. I should have stopped taking it sooner, but it after two other drugs, I wanted it to work. If you have any symptoms of mood changes, STOP taking immediately. There have been cases of young adults not living thought their psychotic episode. I'm older, so I was able to realize my thoughts were not reality. Even when I thought reality was a delusion and my spouse of 20 years may not be real."

MissAlin · January 8, 2021

For Acne "I've always had a problem with acne off and on since high school. In the past few years it mutated into giant bug bite-like swelling mostly around my mouth, chin, and forehead. Sometimes actually causing a fat lip that had to be injected with cortisone. It was beyond painful and embarrassing. It just kept getting worse. I was put on Sulfatrim 800/160 mg. I took 1 pill an hour before bed with 2 glasses of water. I've been on it for 38 days. My skin has not had a breakout since I started this antibiotic. I have not had any side effects either. Today my dermatologist said that I made his day when he looked at my skin and said it is beautiful. I can't explain to anyone how it feels to be free of cystic acne after what I've gone through. My skin is glowing and looks so healthy now. I am being put on a lower dose of 400/80 mg. I will continue this med for another 2 months then see where I'm at. I am so happy and grateful that this has worked for me. Pretty much changed my life."

Jules · Taken for less than 1 month · April 8, 2019

For Bacterial Skin Infection "Prescribed Sulfatrim for skin infection. Took 1 pill and began to feel body aches and pains and felt chilled with fever and flu like. Woke up in the morning drenched in sweat with severe pain in my side radiating to my tail bone. Couldn't sit, couldn't stand and couldn't lie down. Agonizing pain in my joints. Took another pill as I did not realize it was the drug doing it. Felt like I might die. Went to doctors in agony. Told to stop taking and given another antibiotic. Was to sick too take the other antibiotic and too afraid. After a few days, the pain subsided but missed a week of work because of it. Cannot imagine what other damage it did. Will never, ever take again. I thought I would die on this drug."

indigogirl · Taken for less than 1 month · January 3, 2018

For Bronchitis "So, I had this antibiotic on hand for a UTI and I used it for an upper respiratory infection. I started getting white sores in my mouth and it has also made my lymph node under my chin swell, gave me massive headaches and extremely dry skin, very fatigued and just blah. I won't take it again. I stopped taking it. White sores are not as painful in my mouth and my lymph node is going down. Wow what a ride. Hope its better for you"

shilonputty · February 18, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection "This medication has worked for me for so many yrs. when I take the 2nd. dose, I feel no pain while urinating! I recommend this "highly"!"

Raken · Taken for less than 1 month · January 3, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection "This antibiotic worked quickly to clear up UTI. However, I had extreme gas and constant headache. Severe chest pain so bad that I went to ER thinking I was having a heart attack. Would not take again."

More about Sulfatrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim)

Patient resources