How long does it take for a boil to heal while taking Bactrim?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on March 14, 2023.
I got a boil on my buttock and went to my doctor. She prescribed sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim tablets for 10 days at a twice a day dosage. How long before it starts healing? It's so painful.
Boils can take some time to heal. It's hard to say how long.
You can speed healing by placing a warm moist cloth on the boil which helps it to drain. Gently soak the area with a warm, moist cloth several times each day.
For more information see: https://www.drugs.com/health-guide/boils-and-carbuncles.html
Related medical questions
- What drugs should be avoided with a sulfa allergy?
- Does Bactrim cause headaches?
- Can I drink alcohol when taking sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim DS?
- What dose of co-trimoxazole is used in a patient with a UTI?
- Is sulfamethoxazole/TMP effective against gonorhea and chlamydia?