User Reviews for Bactrim

Learn more about Bactrim.

Bactrim Rating Summary

5.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 377 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Bactrim to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"Started taking Cipro for a bladder infection but had some bad side effects in the tendon in my right hand. Went back to the Dr. And he gave me Bactrim(Septra). I took it for 3 days in total before I had to stop. The symptoms literally made me feel like I was dying. I had a really foggy head, headaches, dizziness, I almost passed out one day. I got zero sleep the whole time I was on it. My joints hurt in the night, my skin got really itchy and developed a rash, I also developed extreme anxiety and I felt like I was having a heart attack with the palpitations. I was close to panic attack that's when I said enough is enough. I've never had a reaction like that and I have trouble remembering those days. It was a blur of pain and confusion."

Joebbbb1 (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2016

"I have been on Septra for about 5 days now & still no relief!! I'm EXTREMELY nauseous & I can't sleep through the night because the pain is that bad. I'm on my way back to the Emergency Room."

Alyssa Hubbs (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2016

"Back in 2011, after having and IUD and having several back to back UTI's I had to see a specialist. This specialist prescribed Bactrim. Well on the third day of taking this medicine, I woke up, tried to get out of bed and fell to the floor. I realized I couldn't walk, couldn't see straight and I felt very weak. I ended up having to go to the Emergency room only to find out that this medicine was taking the blood and bone marrow out of my body. I had to have two blood transfusion after this medicine."

1Amazingchica (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 24, 2016

"This is an awful medication and I recommend it to anyone. Went to the ER for stomach pain to find out I had a bad UTI. Took 1 pill that the doc gave me and was completely fine. Took the next pill 12 hours later, with some saltine crackers and a bottle of water. 4 hours later, I was shakey, nauseated thought I was going to throw up, my heart rate sped up, I had a fever (did go down with ibuprofun), had a minor rash on my cheeks, headache. Now marks 6 hours after taking it. laying down with towel over head, took benedryl to help with rash. Nausea has eased some, heating pad helps, rash is not as red. Going back to ER tomorrow for a different medicine. I'd rather take Amoxicilian, never have any reactions with that."

Savii December 18, 2016

"This did not work. It made me dizzy and tied my stomach in knots. Provided absolutely no relief for my UTI."

Satyr (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2016

"I'm on day 2 of treating a urinary tract infection. I have been trying my best not to puke. I'm so nauseous, tired, and dizzy. I've had an irritation from my UTI it hasn't cleared up yet, so I will have to see what the rest of the week brings. I've never had problems with antibiotics before."

Melabie December 12, 2016

"was prescribed this and took night before flying back east. 2nd pill during flight. I thought my face was really dry from airplane because it was really itchy. I had no lotion so ignored it. The 3rd pill that night and itchy face felt like wind burn, despite tons of lotion. The 4th pill in morning but face felt swollen and a little numb, especially around lips. So I called the doctor...told to stop taking it and that symptoms should go away next day. It's day 3 after stopping and face is better but still numbness feeling by lips. The half-life for the medicine to leave body should be over by now (well in a few hours). I assume it will eventually go away but will never take this again."

hate this (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2016

"I'm on day 7. It's the third antibiotic I've taken in 2 months. I pray it worked. I wanted to tell people to take good PROBIOTICS and it will keep the itching away. I take keffir It's like a probiotic yogurt smoothie w billions of good bacteria per serving in the yogurt section. I've also used Pill form probiotics "

Leslie1978 December 7, 2016

"I've had many UTI's in the past but usually keep them at bay by taking cranberry pills daily. Well, I slacked and got a UTI. I think I've taken Bactrim before but I don't ever recall feeling like this. I was fine this morning but by noon was very shaky. I felt hungry and nauseous at the same time. Forced myself to eat and felt slightly better but couldn't focus on work and am feeling down in the dumps (depressed?). I also had trouble sleeping last night. Oh and my pee still burns after 2 doses. So if the symptoms don't improve by tomorrow I'm going to see about switching to something else."

VR1979 November 14, 2016

"I hope my information can help someone! Here's my story I was put on Bactrim for 7 days for a uti. It helped my symptoms but my urine looked off, I finished the course there was blood in my urine but no infection. Uti symptoms back. I went to doc and begged for another course of Bactrim. I had bladder spasms and that urine color came back. I thought I was doomed for IC. weird until I researched and found out that Bactrim can cause bladder spams and blood in urine! I stopped the antibiotic (ask doc first) and decided to detox my liver with tumeric tea(recipe online) currently symptom free!! Not sure why docs prescribe this if side effect is drug in urine could be dangerous if you think blood is from infection! (For me it was dark tea color"

Tamchack (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2016

"My 3 yo boy having Bactrim for 5 days and look like I doesn't work at all , still having symptoms ' fever , shivering ....' going back to GP today to get another antibiotic..... so depressed now ;-("

Depressed dad (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2016

"1st day on Bactrim and it sounds like there's a tiger in my stomach and I have the worse stinking farts, my husband had to sleep in another room make sure you get some room freshner spray"

Stinky butt August 19, 2016

"I called the doctors due to weird symptoms after my 5th day of taking this medication this concludes (chills, naseous, diareah, headache, and even numbness throughout my entire face , lips and mouth, and the shakes) the pain I get from my uti's (burning sensation, hard to pee and hurts) I felt like bactrim made my pains worse the burning was 100x worse ! I felt as If I was dying!!!! I even had severe insomnia up until 6-7 am! Called the doctors and they said I should have called when the headaches and shakes came a long! Cut me off it immediately and prescribed me macrobid instead, hope it helps !!"

Breezy22 August 16, 2016

"I have chronic uti that have spread to kidneys and 2 times septic. 1-3 uti per month for last 4 years. Bactrim never worked...I am told it is used frequently for gram negative bacterias. Finally a University Hospital lab found it was gram negative E. Coli ESBL. Bactrim is not usually effective on ESBL."

Kimberlealv (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016

"PA gave me this drug took the pain away but left me with diarrhea the first day. The second day I took my dose, afterwards I got weak and lightheaded and could not eat. I called the office and they said I could discontinue use if I wanted to so I did."

Nhhhh23 July 18, 2016

"Prescribed Bactrim for a UTI. One hour after first dose I was in bed with excruciating leg pain. Migrain and nausea followed. Leg pain lasted for 12 hours. Should have went to the ER."

Bad experience June 20, 2016

"My experience was horrible!!!!!! Perscribed 2 pills a day for 3 days. After the last pill, I started feeling strange and had servere headaches from the time I started taking it until a week later. I didn't think much of it until I went home from work and didn't leave the couch. I had no appetite, constipated, sweating and chills, I wanted to puke, my eyes hurt so bad. Couldn't shake whatever was going on and drank as much water as possible. My body was sore I slept almost an entire weekend away. I can't tell if my UTi is completely gone or not because I'm still constipated and it hurts! I've never had an antibiotic like this and I never want it again! All my doc told me was to keep pushing fluids and eat yogurt. Good luck people."

Anonymous June 8, 2016

"So I am on day 2 out of 5. First day was awful, 20 mins after my first dose I started getting extremely itchy on my throat, neck, and face; my bottom lip flared up and I got really nauseous. I turned the fan on, drank a bunch of water and lied down.I was going to discontinue it but after a good hour all my symptoms went down. I decided to try it again this morning and i'm feeling fine! Still a little burning when I urinate but it is so much better now. Hoping this will work."

Luna Clays June 1, 2016

"Never again, first 10'days macrobid. Still had infection. Put me on bactrim. I was so sick after day 5. I missed 7 days of work, I think 10 days was to much. Had loose poop, neasea every day, dizzy, loss 7 lbs in 7 days and the worst was the dry eyes and mouth. I felt like poo. I thought I would end up in hospital. It even made me depressed! Never again!"

myuti (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2016

"I am the type of person who is sensitive to chemicals, smells, sounds, etc. I rarely need meds and recently had to take bactrim ds for five days due to a UTI. I was sooo nervous about taking it. I was convinced I would be allergic to it, or at least have side affects. Well, all that worrying was for nothing. I took it as prescribed for five days with no problem at all! I hope you do well on it too if you need it!"

Patun1a (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2016

"I put my self on Bactrim thanks to the internet, 3 or 4 years hematuria,dr, say mild infection ok keflix.,Cipro.macrodantin.rucefin,not sure of spelling none worked. Bactrim seems to have nailed but will wait and see, took for 12 days no side effect at all. old school is better,than the new all all purpose meds , here's hoping"

wright 1 April 14, 2016

"Bactrim doesn't seem to help, have a UTI and Dr put me on Bactrim, even after I told him it didn't work for me in the past. Been on it for a week and I can barely urinate. (Cipro has worked well for me). Now the Dr. wants me to make another office visit, because he gave me an antibiotic that I told him has not worked for me in the past. I asked him to call in a script for Cipro, he won't. He is convinced that if Bactrim didn't work, I need another visit. So now I have to pay for another visit. I almost always test negative for UTI, which makes me wonder how inclusive their culture test is. Anyway, ask for Cipro if Bactrim doesn't work."

not cured February 20, 2016

"They prescribed bactrim to me, worst thing ever ended up in the hospital body Aches , fever , insomnia ... & went to hospital ended up with a low blood count ran all kinds of tests it was just awful I will never take this again & it's been about a month & I'm still not 100% better I will never take this ever again!"

Desti (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2016

"I'm currently on bactrim, first day taking the medication and I saw an immediate difference. My Uti's are horrible, I'm normally awaken from my sleep, as they hurt that bad. I'm up for hours on hours sitting on the toilet due to the urge. Bactrim is helping this a lot. Also I see a lot of people are feeling sick while taking this medicine, my doctor recommends that I take the medicine with food, hope this helps you guys in the future if you're experiencing sickness."

Jai Lee (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2016

"I had a uti for about a month. I was on Cipro for 10 days and Bactrim for 10 days. I went for a urinalysis and was prescribed Bactrim. I have only been taking it for 3 days and am already starting to feel way better. The only downside is that I've noticed that my urine is very smelly and brightly colored. I'm hoping that I feel back to my normal self within the next few days."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2016