User Reviews for Bactrim

Learn more about Bactrim.

Bactrim Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 378 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Bactrim to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"1st day on Bactrim and it sounds like there's a tiger in my stomach and I have the worse stinking farts, my husband had to sleep in another room make sure you get some room freshner spray"

Stinky butt August 19, 2016

"I called the doctors due to weird symptoms after my 5th day of taking this medication this concludes (chills, naseous, diareah, headache, and even numbness throughout my entire face , lips and mouth, and the shakes) the pain I get from my uti's (burning sensation, hard to pee and hurts) I felt like bactrim made my pains worse the burning was 100x worse ! I felt as If I was dying!!!! I even had severe insomnia up until 6-7 am! Called the doctors and they said I should have called when the headaches and shakes came a long! Cut me off it immediately and prescribed me macrobid instead, hope it helps !!"

Breezy22 August 16, 2016

"I have chronic uti that have spread to kidneys and 2 times septic. 1-3 uti per month for last 4 years. Bactrim never worked...I am told it is used frequently for gram negative bacterias. Finally a University Hospital lab found it was gram negative E. Coli ESBL. Bactrim is not usually effective on ESBL."

Kimberlealv (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016

"PA gave me this drug took the pain away but left me with diarrhea the first day. The second day I took my dose, afterwards I got weak and lightheaded and could not eat. I called the office and they said I could discontinue use if I wanted to so I did."

Nhhhh23 July 18, 2016

"Prescribed Bactrim for a UTI. One hour after first dose I was in bed with excruciating leg pain. Migrain and nausea followed. Leg pain lasted for 12 hours. Should have went to the ER."

Bad experience June 20, 2016

"My experience was horrible!!!!!! Perscribed 2 pills a day for 3 days. After the last pill, I started feeling strange and had servere headaches from the time I started taking it until a week later. I didn't think much of it until I went home from work and didn't leave the couch. I had no appetite, constipated, sweating and chills, I wanted to puke, my eyes hurt so bad. Couldn't shake whatever was going on and drank as much water as possible. My body was sore I slept almost an entire weekend away. I can't tell if my UTi is completely gone or not because I'm still constipated and it hurts! I've never had an antibiotic like this and I never want it again! All my doc told me was to keep pushing fluids and eat yogurt. Good luck people."

Anonymous June 8, 2016

"So I am on day 2 out of 5. First day was awful, 20 mins after my first dose I started getting extremely itchy on my throat, neck, and face; my bottom lip flared up and I got really nauseous. I turned the fan on, drank a bunch of water and lied down.I was going to discontinue it but after a good hour all my symptoms went down. I decided to try it again this morning and i'm feeling fine! Still a little burning when I urinate but it is so much better now. Hoping this will work."

Luna Clays June 1, 2016

"Never again, first 10'days macrobid. Still had infection. Put me on bactrim. I was so sick after day 5. I missed 7 days of work, I think 10 days was to much. Had loose poop, neasea every day, dizzy, loss 7 lbs in 7 days and the worst was the dry eyes and mouth. I felt like poo. I thought I would end up in hospital. It even made me depressed! Never again!"

myuti (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2016

"I am the type of person who is sensitive to chemicals, smells, sounds, etc. I rarely need meds and recently had to take bactrim ds for five days due to a UTI. I was sooo nervous about taking it. I was convinced I would be allergic to it, or at least have side affects. Well, all that worrying was for nothing. I took it as prescribed for five days with no problem at all! I hope you do well on it too if you need it!"

Patun1a (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2016

"I put my self on Bactrim thanks to the internet, 3 or 4 years hematuria,dr, say mild infection ok keflix.,Cipro.macrodantin.rucefin,not sure of spelling none worked. Bactrim seems to have nailed but will wait and see, took for 12 days no side effect at all. old school is better,than the new all all purpose meds , here's hoping"

wright 1 April 14, 2016

"Bactrim doesn't seem to help, have a UTI and Dr put me on Bactrim, even after I told him it didn't work for me in the past. Been on it for a week and I can barely urinate. (Cipro has worked well for me). Now the Dr. wants me to make another office visit, because he gave me an antibiotic that I told him has not worked for me in the past. I asked him to call in a script for Cipro, he won't. He is convinced that if Bactrim didn't work, I need another visit. So now I have to pay for another visit. I almost always test negative for UTI, which makes me wonder how inclusive their culture test is. Anyway, ask for Cipro if Bactrim doesn't work."

not cured February 20, 2016

"They prescribed bactrim to me, worst thing ever ended up in the hospital body Aches , fever , insomnia ... & went to hospital ended up with a low blood count ran all kinds of tests it was just awful I will never take this again & it's been about a month & I'm still not 100% better I will never take this ever again!"

Desti (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2016

"I'm currently on bactrim, first day taking the medication and I saw an immediate difference. My Uti's are horrible, I'm normally awaken from my sleep, as they hurt that bad. I'm up for hours on hours sitting on the toilet due to the urge. Bactrim is helping this a lot. Also I see a lot of people are feeling sick while taking this medicine, my doctor recommends that I take the medicine with food, hope this helps you guys in the future if you're experiencing sickness."

Jai Lee (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2016

"I had a uti for about a month. I was on Cipro for 10 days and Bactrim for 10 days. I went for a urinalysis and was prescribed Bactrim. I have only been taking it for 3 days and am already starting to feel way better. The only downside is that I've noticed that my urine is very smelly and brightly colored. I'm hoping that I feel back to my normal self within the next few days."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2016

"Made me very sick"

Tee Lee (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2016

"I am in my second uti this month. I went to the doctor the first time and was prescribed macrobid and my uti came back in two weeks. Now I'm on Bactrim and it seems to work really well minus the headaches. I like it the a lot better and I feel like it's actually gone now"

Red93 (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2015

"I was prescribed Bactrim for a very painful UTI that I could not flush out naturally with water and cranberry. My UTI pain subsided after about 5 hours of the first dose of Bactrim which is great. However, the side effects are not so pleasant. I have had chills, mild diarrhea, vivid nightmares/dreams and extreme migraines. I am on day 3 of a 7 day prescription, but I am contemplating stopping after day 4 or 5 if the side effects continue. The side effects are still not as bad as the UTI pain!"

Anonymous December 16, 2015

"I suffer with regular UTI's due to a chronic pelvic prolapse I can't get anyone to take seriously. Since having a hysterectomy and estrogen-suppression therapy for adjuvant therapy for cancer the UTI's have worsened. Bactrim does have side effects, but since I can't take Macrobid, I'm stuck with this or Cipro. I'm starting to think I'm developing a resistant strain of infection, but the Bactrim seems to take care of it."

IDunnoWho November 22, 2015

"I took this for a UTI and I had horrible side effects. I could not sleep, extremely dizzy and nauseated, constipated, and had bad indigestion. I lost my appetite and was vomiting acid."

-A November 16, 2015

"I took Bactrim and I had no side effects. Bactrim worked for me. It definitely took the burning feeling away..... Also the cloudy and different smelling urine left."

Che rol (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2015

"I've taken my fair share of medications for UTIs and so far this one seemed to be the most effective as far as relieving symptoms quickly. My doctor prescribed me to take two pills a day for 10 days. I felt relief from UTI symptoms as soon as the 2nd or 3rd day. That being said, it has some nasty side effects. They say you can take it with or without food and I'm guessing that because it makes your stomach feel horrible either way. I've experienced diarrhea, painful gas and bloating, and nausea, since the first day of taking it. From my experience this can usually be expected with strong antibiotics. My advice would be to take a probiotic to help counterbalance! I've done it before and it helps me."

krs1993 (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2015

"I always talk to the pharmacist and educate myself take the time to do that ask your dr before taking the prescription why waste your money this medicine did not give me any side effects."

JUDGEKINGDOG (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2015

"Bactrim was the worst antibiotics I have taken. I was prescribed this medicine for a UTI from a the Dr and I took one pill before I went to bed and felt fine. It was like 4 am it when I got hit with a massive headache from hell. I could not sleep and then about 2 hours later around 6am. I started vomiting until all I could vomit out was my stomach acid. Horrible! That day I still had a bad headache and nauseous all day. I discontinued the pill and flushed them all down the toilet!"

joker12 September 16, 2015

"I mean it did its job but geeeez it makes me feel like a pile a poo about a half hour after I take it. I had to take it with pepto so I wouldn't puke it up. At least it worked after 3 days"

Lolokay September 3, 2015

"I took this medicine for 3 days and experienced severe nausea. Been off of it for 1 and I'm still experiencing it off and on. It feels horrible. I will never take this medicine again. I must be allergic to it."

Anonymous August 6, 2015