User Reviews for Bactrim to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Bactrim has an average rating of 4.4 out of 10 from a total of 213 ratings for the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection. 29% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 54% reported a negative effect.

Bactrim Rating Summary

4.4/10 average rating

Compare all 290 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Bactrim

It’ll be okay August 17, 2019

“I prayed long and hard, I want to pay it forward so someone else didn’t experience the anxiety that came with looking at these reviews. Know that you’re taking this because you have an infection, and that in itself can make you feel miserable. A lot of these side effects mentioned are parallel with symptoms of a significant infection. So there’s that. Take AFTER you eat. Not a “bite of banana. Eat a good meal- Take with a full bottle of water- I took mine with benedryl due to the fact my skin gets itchy ( not a rash) I also took a GOOD probiotic to counter any gut microbiome disruption. Eat bananas- simple foods- not greasy meals. Avoid extra sun exposure or anything that will zap you. Yes, it can make your stomach a little off, but it was tolerable and I was on it twice a day for 5 days 800mg. I was scared- and I will add have FAITH. Let it go. You’re taking it to heal- it’s not always a happy walk in the park process. Every single person reacts different Hope this helps someone.”

C · Taken for less than 1 month July 8, 2021

“Gave me severe anxiety, I felt like I was psychotic. Panic attack where I could barely even talk, eyes were bugging out. I am not a mentally ill person in any way and I have never felt this way before in my life the way this pill made me feel. I almost didn’t know it was the drug until I checked this website and read that everyone and their mothers have experienced severe anxiety caused by this pill. Doctor told me it doesn’t cause anxiety to continue taking it today so it looks like I won’t be listening to them after reading a web page full of people with complaints of severe anxiety and panic. I also definitely felt like I was losing myself/my mind without knowing why as someone has mentioned on here before. It’s tricky because physically I have not had issues with this pill I was not sick from it so I thought everything was going well, but it really messed with my brain. Do not take this.”

Sadie April 21, 2021

“Let me tell you, I was so nervous to start Bactrim after reading these reviews. I thought for sure I was going to have terrible side effects. Turns out, I’m completely fine. The most I’ve had is some nausea/lack of appetite but I get that with almost all antibiotics. Make sure you eat a meal ahead of taking each pill and drink lots of water. As long as you’re not allergic to sulfa drugs, I can almost guarantee that you’re going to be ok :). Remember, temporary side effects are better than a kidney infection!!”

Leia · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2019

“I have an intense phobia of taking meds due to a life threatening experience with another antibiotic, so I've been tuned into any possible side effect forming within my body after reading all the warnings for this med. I was diagnosed with a severe UTI that was starting to effect my kidneys, so my doc said it was imperative I take medication and prescribed Bactrim DS for 7 days, twice a day. I have had 2 full doses, and 24 hours about 70% of my UTI symptoms have disappeared and I have had virtually no negative side effects. Within 48 hours almost completely gone. I do have some very mild itching with no rash or redness that comes and goes. And heartburn (potentially from a combo of taking the med plus cranberry juice that already gives me heartburn sometimes). That's it! Energy is fine, no weird pains, no tummy specific issues, etc. I am only on day 2, so if anything scary happens, I will update that info. So far, I have had a good experience with Bactrim!”

Wow · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2020

“I was on this drug for only 2 days until I had the worst stomach pains ever like it knocked the wind out of me. I had severe diarrhea with mucus and blood that lasted for weeks after discontinued use. It has been a month and I still have nausea with severe abdominal pains, headaches, anxiety, light sensitivity, white bumps on my gums. I’m scared that my organs are damaged which I am currently being tested for. I have never had any of these symptoms before and was perfectly healthy! I am young too. This drug RUINED my life. I would rate this drug in the negatives if I could. Should not be allowed to be prescribed!”

Jae · Taken for less than 1 month December 23, 2020

“honestly not terrible. I was prescribed Bactrim 2 doses/day for 7 days after they prescribed keflex (which didn’t work). A little nausea after the first couple doses, some indigestion, some lower back pain. As long as you drink lots of water with the pill and throughout the day the side effects are pretty mild. I had ginger chews and pepto for stomach issues that worked well. Eat a big meal before you take the pill too. kombucha, yogurt, and probiotics during and after the course will help your stomach heal. I would much prefer this over a kidney infection. If you’re having major side effects from day one, perhaps try something different. Everyone reacts differently!”

Lauren2349 January 8, 2020

“I was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI. Felt fine the first day. By day 2, I experienced horrible symptoms or side effects. I was having severe anxiety, nausea, increased heart rate, and shaking in my body. Called my doctor and she said to continue taking it but after reading all of these reviews I’ve decided to stop taking the antibiotics. So scary to see so many other women going through the same thing!”

Julu · Taken for less than 1 month October 26, 2019

“After a week of experiencing painful, and uncomfortably annoying UTI symptoms, I went to the doctor, and was prescribed Bactrim for 7 days. I have no insurance, but I was able to get 14 pills for $7.00 with Good RX. 30 minutes after taking the first pill, the feeling of urgency left. When I went to the restroom, there was almost no pain. I am on my third day, and I am feeling close to normal. The urgency is gone, and the pain while urinating is gone. The only side effects I can say I am experiencing is a slight lost in appetite and a little neck pain and joint pain in my hands. But on a scale of 1 to 10, I would say that those symptoms are at a 3. I see that many of the reviews on this medicine are scary. But just know that everyone's body is different, even to the point of pain tolerance. So what might be okay for one person, might not be so for another. Either way, the benefit of being relieved of my UTI symptoms far outweigh the other risks of side effects.”

UseYourJudgement · Taken for less than 1 month January 19, 2019

“Was given Bactrim for my UTI. Read online reviews and was terrified of taking it, especially since I had a severe allergic reaction to Cipro years ago. Literally nothing happened. Some mild stomach issues, a small headache here and there and tons of anxiety (my own doing) but it went pretty well. Symptoms of UTI went away in a day or less. Don't read reviews...you don't know other people's bodies and what conditions they have that contribute to their side effects.”

Vg · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2019

“Had not read side effects so did not realize what I felt was caused by the med. My first day on bactrim I had side effects of feeling achy and depressed. By day 3 I was shaking, shivering, anxious, insomnia. By day 5 nausea, dizziness, 100 heart rate, very low blood pressure, extreme anxiety. Pain everywhere, pain in my kidneys, very dehydrated, painful muscle spasms. Day 6 was going to go to emergency room when I realized it could be the bactrim and read side effects. Find it difficult to believe a doctor would give this to anyone. It was horrible.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 13, 2020

“This drug is terrible!! Run if the Dr prescribes this. Day 1 I had a headache and aches to my kidneys. Like I could literally feel the pain to my kidneys!! I felt bloated, vomiting, fever of 101, pain to kidneys, jittery and chills. Pls pls don't take it. The ratio of the ones that had no symptoms to the ones who did is a big difference! I took it for 2 days then threw the rest down the toilet. The ONLY good thing was I took 1 dose and the next day felt relief...but still.... eff this stuff!”

Mabel · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2021

“Irregular heartbeats that "feel" like a panic attack. Weak feeling all over body and loss of strength after doing something simple such as throwing out the trash. Bactrim MAY give you brain fog and feelings of depersonalization-it may also affect your electrolyte levels. Be prepared for possible psychotic effects on your brain and not knowing why you are losing yourself/mind. More importantly, watch for the development of pernicious anemia. Again, this may not happen to EVERYONE but watch yourself carefully while on this drug. This won't cure EVERY UTI. Before you take this, BEG your doctor to CULTURE your urine so that you will be put on the "right" antibiotics. This interferes with your body's ability to breakdown Folate into a useable form and can interfere with your bone marrow WHICH produces red blood cells.”

Christinadhrt · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2020

“Just like everyone else I was scared to take antibiotic Bactrim because of reviews. I took it with a light snack and a lot of water and was fine. I had a slight headache but I was also stressing about the UTI especially since Valentines day is coming. I was prescribed 2 pills a day for 3 days. I went last night for a urine sample and all is clear. Love that I only had to take this for 3 days. I also didn't get a yeast infection but took Good Belly along with it.”

Aimee · Taken for less than 1 month July 5, 2021

“After reading about possible side effects and reading all of the negative reviews for Bactrim, I was scared to take it after the Macrobid failed to cure my UTI. After 7 days of taking Augmentin, which also failed to work and gave me diarrhea, I braced myself and took the Bactrim. I want to report that I had no side effects at all, and it cleared up my infection. I would advise anyone prescribe this drug for a UTI to go ahead and take it, and don’t drive yourself crazy with worry like I did.”

Patun1a · Taken for less than 1 month May 6, 2016

“I am the type of person who is sensitive to chemicals, smells, sounds, etc. I rarely need meds and recently had to take bactrim ds for five days due to a UTI. I was sooo nervous about taking it. I was convinced I would be allergic to it, or at least have side affects. Well, all that worrying was for nothing. I took it as prescribed for five days with no problem at all! I hope you do well on it too if you need it!”

Superstar11111 January 7, 2015

“Something really bad happened to me 14 years ago that caused trauma to the urinary tract. Ever since I have used Bactrim on a regular basis to flush out my bladder and urethra of bacteria because my body does not do a sufficient job through urination. If you take it on an empty stomach, it will make you feel really sick, but the medicine is awesome and I highly recommend it.”

Ans247 · Taken for less than 1 month July 28, 2013

“I was prescribed Bactrim DS 2x a day for 10 days to clear a urinary tract infection. I was having nausea, acid reflux and intestinal/digestive issues that felt like irritable bowel syndrome or Stomach Flu by the 3rd day. After the 5th day I decided to stop taking it and the infection is gone along with all side effects. I am glad I decided to stop taking it, it seems Bactrim DS 2x a day was a bit too much for me.”

Anonymous October 9, 2009

“I never had an allergic reaction until I took this medication, now I learned the hard way I'm allergic to sulfa drugs. After one dose I had a lot the serious side effects: high fever, intense stomach pain, insomnia, hallucinations, anxiety, non-stop chills/shaking, vomiting, rash. Needless to say I ended up in the hospital for 3 days. I think my that you need to be careful when taking the drug and be aware of all the serious side effects.”

JDK01 · Taken for less than 1 month January 7, 2021

“Okay here is my story..... I’m 3 days in and after the first dose I felt amazing. Next day even better. Today not so good, I have had sweats at least thrice and stomach pains with burping constantly. My tongue is actually peeling. I have had no appetite throughout the course of 3 days thus far!!! I’m stopping it in fear of something even worse happening!! I can not take my daily runs on this medication. Anxiety is high and my mouth hurts!!! I had sepsis 21 months ago which started with a UTI and several antibiotics do not agree with me!!! I will update as time goes on. Right now I want my mouth to stop hurting!!! I would be very cautious if you are prescribed this medication!!”

em · Taken for less than 1 month December 26, 2020

“My anxiety and mental health was under control until I got a mild UTI and was prescribed Bactrim. My heart rate skyrocketed for days, it induced panic attacks, I had no idea what was happening to me until I looked up the reviews and realized I was reacting to the bactrim. My heart rate reached 130 bpm at one point and I went to the doctor to have my heart checked. I took 4 doses and will never take this again. It ruined my life. 2 weeks later I’m still recovering from the anxiety it caused. I am angry this medication was prescribed to me.”

SincerelyDisappointed September 13, 2019

“I was prescribed Bactrim DS for a UTI. I drank a full glass of water with every dose and continued to drink large amounts of water throughout the day. I also made sure to take this on a full stomach. I’m a healthy 26 year old female and this is my first UTI. After taking Bactrim for 24hrs, I experienced severe side effects. I had debilitating kidney pain and lower back pain, severe gas, foamy explosive diarrhea, bloating, racing heart rate, severe anxiety (almost to the point of paranoia), and brain fog. I could not even hold a simple conversation. I felt like I was dying. After reading many reviews online, I discovered these same side effects have affected so many others while taking Bactrim. Once the drug was out of my system and I discontinued use, these side effects subsided. This antibiotic may work for some, but be aware of the possible severe side effects when you are assessing the risk of taking Bactrim.”

Suzanne September 15, 2020

“I went to urgent care for unbearable pain from a UTI and they put me on bactrim. This made me feel awful. Lots of anxiety and panic attacks, and constantly feeling dizzy like the room was spinning and like I was going to fall down and pass out. Felt very shaky on day 5. Also experienced neck pain and pain in my lower back. Also experienced headaches. It cleared up the UTI but had horrible side effects. I’m someone who also has neurological Lyme disease so my left side of my jaw just goes into spasm when I have a flare up, which is another painful condition I live with and I’ve taken many other antibiotics for Lyme and for sinus issues but I’ve never experienced symptoms like this.”

CB1992 April 21, 2015

“This is definitely my favourite medicine to treat urinary tract infections. I have a longstanding history with UTI's, one even sent me to the ER. The best part about this medicine is that it works quickly and feel relief within the first dose, which is great. I tried nitrofurantin once and absolutely hated it because of side effects & will stick with this. Luckily I've never experienced any negative side effects & I've taken with and without food. No nausea, nothing! It's definitely a hefty sized pill though.”

Jt · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2020

“I took the first dose of Bactrim and developed a headache which I treated with Ibuprofen. I took pill #2 at bedtime. I woke during the night with an excruciating headache from my face to the back of my head. I made my way to the bathroom and took a couple more ibuprofen but had extreme nausea. The left side of my neck began to hurt and spread down to my upper back and shoulder. The pain was so severe I couldn’t stand to touch my neck or head. My temperature was 99.2 after taking ibuprofen. The pain began to let up the next day after stopping the Bactrim, but my abdomen became bloated and painful. Now, two weeks later, I’m still suffering with bloating, gas pain, rumbling, and discomfort. I texted my dr and asked her to write in my chart that I will never take Bactrim again.”

Allie · Taken for less than 1 month July 29, 2019

“NEVER AGAIN. It has been only 2 days. I'm already dizzy, fatigued, anxiety ridden and its 2 a.m and my heart won't stop racing! I've had the jitters all day and very unpleasant heart palpitations that feel like my heart is going to explode. Also, I CANT SLEEP.”