User Reviews for Bactrim

Learn more about Bactrim.

Bactrim Rating Summary

5.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 380 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Bactrim to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"I have always taken Bactrim for a UTI and it has always worked with zero side effects. I took two every 12 hours for ten days and I'm perfectly fine now. "

Suz44 September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI i and after one dose I immediately developed a splitting headache followed later by weakness, body aches, chills, fever, slight nausea, cough and sore throat. I feel as if I have the flu. I suppose the medication did do what it was supposed to do because the UTI feels as if it's almost completely gone (I'm sure it isn't but at least it doesn't hurt). I will say I don't think the side effects are worth it. I'm in a lot of pain and discomfort and I think I'll be going to the emergency room just to be on the safe side."

Cassandra M August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was perscribed Bactrim for a UTI. Day one I thought I had the Flu. Day 2 I could barely walk. Joints hurt very bad ankles, knees, wrists and shoulders.I stopped taking this medication. Called the doctor to prescribe something else."

Hunter4580 (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It worked the first time I had a UTI. No change in symptoms the second time I was prescribed this medication since it is a weaker antibiotic for UTIs. Didn't really have any negative side effects besides not wanting to eat, but I think that was just the demon from hell UTI."

OneWithFrequentUTI's (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hello all, just thought I'd share my experience with Bactrim. I'm a petite girl- as far as side effects goes I had almost none the first few days, but now on my 4th/5th day I am noticing the side effects appearing! Which are (for me) headaches, constipation (watch what you eat with this or else you'll get blocked up), loss of appetite (I'm not hungry almost at all), and oddly enough pain when I breath in (possibly mild pericarditis). I also can't seem to focus. But nothing too horrible. I take this on an empty stomach every time and it is absolutely fine. BUT- 3/10 pills left and I still have symptoms of a UTI !!! Ugh. So maybe it did not work for me."

123Doodles123 July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this medication for the first day and I only ate a small breakfast just so I could take the medicine. I was sick all day and felt like I had the flu. So the next day, I are a full meal (so that I was completely stuffed) and no side effects. THIS MEDICINE MUST BE TAKEN WITH A FULL MEAL"

hgghjbcdk May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Severe UTI, lasting a month with one course of antibiotics that did nothing. Was in so much pain, never knew your bladder could pulse! People who have never had it, can't understand that a car journey is your worst nightmare! Now on day five of sulfatrim and symptoms were clear by two days. All I notice is my guts are a mess, slight sickness and a wave of tiredness after taking the tablet. Compared to the misery of a UTI, small side effects are bearable!"

Toaster123 (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The ONLY side effect I had from this medicine so far is very slight fatigue right after I take it. Had a pretty bad UTI, took the first dose ( 2 a day every 12 hours) and within a short amount of time there was no more burning, fullness feeling, or pain. I take this for 10 days and I am on day 7. And no dizziness, nausea, vomiting or anything. Don't be afraid to take this medicine BUT! EAT BEFORE YOU TAKE IT!! Like a full meal! I think many people aren't doing this and you should."

Brit431 March 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just got sick from now this medication is never going to work for me I took at 3pm and I just got sick at almost 12 am not even sure if the medication passed through my system"

Leila H March 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm only on my second day of this medication but I feel it is never going to work. I still have mild symptoms and a headache. I'll be heading back to the ER if I don't feel better."

Shalonn B March 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worst medicine ever!!!!! I got this to get rid of my UTI and while taking it I had the worst side effects. Itching, rash, headaches. And I am off the medication finally it's been a week now and I am still getting headache's. I don't know what to do. I wish I never took it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Nightmare antibiotics!!!!!!!!!!Yes. It took care of uti.......Right away. But!!!!!!!!!I felt tumbling in my entire body, couldn't breath ,felt like I was dying, chocking, and overall felt dizzy as hell....No more!!!!!!!!Theres no way....Do not take it. Try anything else. This is killing product....Disgrace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Lyena February 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI. Everything was going well on day 1-2, on day 3, mid day, I began with chest tightness, noticed difference in my breathing. Felt as though the end of my lungs/rib area was extremely sore. It sent me to the ER as I was uncertain what could be causing it. CT scans, tests, and 3,000 out of pocket later, no results showed. Which I'm thankful! they eventually chalked it up to the medication. I immediately stopped it and went back to normal after a few days. Weird stuff! I gave it 5 out of 10 because although it was only three days, the bactrim cleared up whatever it was! Potent stuff"

AAbcdef123456 February 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"On day five of a 10 day course I noticed a rash on my face. Over the next 12 hours it would cover my entire body. It didn't itch it burned!! Doc said benadryl wouldn't help so I needed a steroid shot. I was also very dizzy and tired on this medication. If you have never taken Bactrim and aren't sure if you are allergic to sulfa drugs, I would just take something else."

SunnyintheD (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started taking Cipro for a bladder infection but had some bad side effects in the tendon in my right hand. Went back to the Dr. And he gave me Bactrim(Septra). I took it for 3 days in total before I had to stop. The symptoms literally made me feel like I was dying. I had a really foggy head, headaches, dizziness, I almost passed out one day. I got zero sleep the whole time I was on it. My joints hurt in the night, my skin got really itchy and developed a rash, I also developed extreme anxiety and I felt like I was having a heart attack with the palpitations. I was close to panic attack that's when I said enough is enough. I've never had a reaction like that and I have trouble remembering those days. It was a blur of pain and confusion."

Joebbbb1 (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Septra for about 5 days now & still no relief!! I'm EXTREMELY nauseous & I can't sleep through the night because the pain is that bad. I'm on my way back to the Emergency Room."

Alyssa Hubbs (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Back in 2011, after having and IUD and having several back to back UTI's I had to see a specialist. This specialist prescribed Bactrim. Well on the third day of taking this medicine, I woke up, tried to get out of bed and fell to the floor. I realized I couldn't walk, couldn't see straight and I felt very weak. I ended up having to go to the Emergency room only to find out that this medicine was taking the blood and bone marrow out of my body. I had to have two blood transfusion after this medicine."

1Amazingchica (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is an awful medication and I recommend it to anyone. Went to the ER for stomach pain to find out I had a bad UTI. Took 1 pill that the doc gave me and was completely fine. Took the next pill 12 hours later, with some saltine crackers and a bottle of water. 4 hours later, I was shakey, nauseated thought I was going to throw up, my heart rate sped up, I had a fever (did go down with ibuprofun), had a minor rash on my cheeks, headache. Now marks 6 hours after taking it. laying down with towel over head, took benedryl to help with rash. Nausea has eased some, heating pad helps, rash is not as red. Going back to ER tomorrow for a different medicine. I'd rather take Amoxicilian, never have any reactions with that."

Savii December 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This did not work. It made me dizzy and tied my stomach in knots. Provided absolutely no relief for my UTI."

Satyr (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on day 2 of treating a urinary tract infection. I have been trying my best not to puke. I'm so nauseous, tired, and dizzy. I've had an irritation from my UTI it hasn't cleared up yet, so I will have to see what the rest of the week brings. I've never had problems with antibiotics before."

Melabie December 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"was prescribed this and took night before flying back east. 2nd pill during flight. I thought my face was really dry from airplane because it was really itchy. I had no lotion so ignored it. The 3rd pill that night and itchy face felt like wind burn, despite tons of lotion. The 4th pill in morning but face felt swollen and a little numb, especially around lips. So I called the doctor...told to stop taking it and that symptoms should go away next day. It's day 3 after stopping and face is better but still numbness feeling by lips. The half-life for the medicine to leave body should be over by now (well in a few hours). I assume it will eventually go away but will never take this again."

hate this (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on day 7. It's the third antibiotic I've taken in 2 months. I pray it worked. I wanted to tell people to take good PROBIOTICS and it will keep the itching away. I take keffir It's like a probiotic yogurt smoothie w billions of good bacteria per serving in the yogurt section. I've also used Pill form probiotics "

Leslie1978 December 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had many UTI's in the past but usually keep them at bay by taking cranberry pills daily. Well, I slacked and got a UTI. I think I've taken Bactrim before but I don't ever recall feeling like this. I was fine this morning but by noon was very shaky. I felt hungry and nauseous at the same time. Forced myself to eat and felt slightly better but couldn't focus on work and am feeling down in the dumps (depressed?). I also had trouble sleeping last night. Oh and my pee still burns after 2 doses. So if the symptoms don't improve by tomorrow I'm going to see about switching to something else."

VR1979 November 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I hope my information can help someone! Here's my story I was put on Bactrim for 7 days for a uti. It helped my symptoms but my urine looked off, I finished the course there was blood in my urine but no infection. Uti symptoms back. I went to doc and begged for another course of Bactrim. I had bladder spasms and that urine color came back. I thought I was doomed for IC. weird until I researched and found out that Bactrim can cause bladder spams and blood in urine! I stopped the antibiotic (ask doc first) and decided to detox my liver with tumeric tea(recipe online) currently symptom free!! Not sure why docs prescribe this if side effect is drug in urine could be dangerous if you think blood is from infection! (For me it was dark tea color"

Tamchack (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My 3 yo boy having Bactrim for 5 days and look like I doesn't work at all , still having symptoms ' fever , shivering ....' going back to GP today to get another antibiotic..... so depressed now ;-("

Depressed dad (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2016