User Reviews for Bactrim

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Bactrim.

Bactrim Rating Summary

4.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 382 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Bactrim to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"It's the first time I take Bactrim since my mom is usually taking it to cure her UTI. I don't have any prescription regarding my UTI so I tried it since it was recommended by my mom. As far as I know, I don't have allergies with medicine. After 2 hours of taking it, I woke up feeling itchy and my face was swollen. I wont take this med ever again even it cures UTI.."

Mjulnir November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on 3 different antibiotics none helped to rid the UTI. I was then given bactrim, my second dose I felt so bad I felt like going to the ER. My head hurt day and night, I was nauseous just couldn’t function. I called the doctor, he told me to continue taking it, it is a strong medication. He said if I couldn’t take the pills he would have to give it with an IV antibiotics. I am being told I have this UTI and it is so bad that’s what I have to take. I have no symptoms of a UTI."

Hogput November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used to get UTIs every month or two until I finally started my daily dose of Raw Organic Apple Cider vinegar with “mother” mixed with honey water. It has been the only thing that has helped. I am now on my 8th month of no UTIs! It really surprised me as I’m not big into homeopathic remedies."

Frequent uTI er October 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First time prescribed Bactrim for mild UTI. Second day I had flu like symptoms. After day 4 I was feeling so poorly I went to ER where I was told just flu and to rest and to finish Bactrim so it will clear up UTI. Day 5 fever of 105, rushed to hospital where I passed out. Completely dehydrated and organs where showing signs of sepsis. I was in ICU unit for 3 days. The diagnosis was “allergy to sulfa”. However, that’s not really an allergic response. I think it causes the body to dehydrate faster than normal, and my actual problem was intense dehydration. Bactrim was banned in UK after a number people died. I’ll never take it again."

Anti Bactrim October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Horrible drug ! I had a migraine for the full three course time I was suppose to take it. I tried ibuprofen 800mg and that didn't seem to help enough . I kept having to take another to kill the pain. Seriously yeah it may get rid of your infection but avoid this drug. Also, I ate bread with a yogurt and my stomach still burned like hell. It felt like there was a ulcer or something . Never taking this again!!!!!!!!!"

ladayblues October 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Didn’t treat my UTI and the medication was taken as prescribed with plenty of fluids. Turned into a kidney infection. BACTRIM doesn't work"

It didn’t work (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Everyone reacts to drugs in different ways however I will never again take bactrim. I started feeling tired and got a bad headache the second day after taking it. That same night was even worse... I felt nauseous, my head hurt even worse, and all I could do was cry. I felt like I wasn't even in my own body. The medicine definitely messed with my head. It was the worst feeling ever. Now I know to never take bactrim or any other sulfur drugs!"

Va0001 October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got a UTI a month ago. I went to a clinic and they prescribed Macrobid and it did little to nothing for my UTI. I then went to my uni campus clinic and they prescribed the same thing (I didn’t know they were the same thing at the time because this time it was the generic version so it had a different name) and again it did nothing. I was so frustrated and in so much pain so finally I went back for a 3rd time and they prescribed me Bactrim and within a couple hours I already felt SO much better. The bactrim did more in a few hours than the Macrobid did in 2 weeks. I did get mild nausea and some fatigue but that’s it. Take it with food and yogurt to prevent this!"

Holly777777 October 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was a little worried after reading the reviews... and on top of that my mom had a really bad reaction (fever, horrible chills, etc.). I was a little queasy the first few dose, but it wasn't even enough to keep me from eating. After that I had no side effects at all. Overall my experience was great!"

Liz28 (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Quick reduction of symptoms"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have always taken Bactrim for a UTI and it has always worked with zero side effects. I took two every 12 hours for ten days and I'm perfectly fine now. "

Suz44 September 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI i and after one dose I immediately developed a splitting headache followed later by weakness, body aches, chills, fever, slight nausea, cough and sore throat. I feel as if I have the flu. I suppose the medication did do what it was supposed to do because the UTI feels as if it's almost completely gone (I'm sure it isn't but at least it doesn't hurt). I will say I don't think the side effects are worth it. I'm in a lot of pain and discomfort and I think I'll be going to the emergency room just to be on the safe side."

Cassandra M August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was perscribed Bactrim for a UTI. Day one I thought I had the Flu. Day 2 I could barely walk. Joints hurt very bad ankles, knees, wrists and shoulders.I stopped taking this medication. Called the doctor to prescribe something else."

Hunter4580 (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It worked the first time I had a UTI. No change in symptoms the second time I was prescribed this medication since it is a weaker antibiotic for UTIs. Didn't really have any negative side effects besides not wanting to eat, but I think that was just the demon from hell UTI."

OneWithFrequentUTI's (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hello all, just thought I'd share my experience with Bactrim. I'm a petite girl- as far as side effects goes I had almost none the first few days, but now on my 4th/5th day I am noticing the side effects appearing! Which are (for me) headaches, constipation (watch what you eat with this or else you'll get blocked up), loss of appetite (I'm not hungry almost at all), and oddly enough pain when I breath in (possibly mild pericarditis). I also can't seem to focus. But nothing too horrible. I take this on an empty stomach every time and it is absolutely fine. BUT- 3/10 pills left and I still have symptoms of a UTI !!! Ugh. So maybe it did not work for me."

123Doodles123 July 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this medication for the first day and I only ate a small breakfast just so I could take the medicine. I was sick all day and felt like I had the flu. So the next day, I are a full meal (so that I was completely stuffed) and no side effects. THIS MEDICINE MUST BE TAKEN WITH A FULL MEAL"

hgghjbcdk May 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Severe UTI, lasting a month with one course of antibiotics that did nothing. Was in so much pain, never knew your bladder could pulse! People who have never had it, can't understand that a car journey is your worst nightmare! Now on day five of sulfatrim and symptoms were clear by two days. All I notice is my guts are a mess, slight sickness and a wave of tiredness after taking the tablet. Compared to the misery of a UTI, small side effects are bearable!"

Toaster123 (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The ONLY side effect I had from this medicine so far is very slight fatigue right after I take it. Had a pretty bad UTI, took the first dose ( 2 a day every 12 hours) and within a short amount of time there was no more burning, fullness feeling, or pain. I take this for 10 days and I am on day 7. And no dizziness, nausea, vomiting or anything. Don't be afraid to take this medicine BUT! EAT BEFORE YOU TAKE IT!! Like a full meal! I think many people aren't doing this and you should."

Brit431 March 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just got sick from now this medication is never going to work for me I took at 3pm and I just got sick at almost 12 am not even sure if the medication passed through my system"

Leila H March 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm only on my second day of this medication but I feel it is never going to work. I still have mild symptoms and a headache. I'll be heading back to the ER if I don't feel better."

Shalonn B March 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worst medicine ever!!!!! I got this to get rid of my UTI and while taking it I had the worst side effects. Itching, rash, headaches. And I am off the medication finally it's been a week now and I am still getting headache's. I don't know what to do. I wish I never took it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Nightmare antibiotics!!!!!!!!!!Yes. It took care of uti.......Right away. But!!!!!!!!!I felt tumbling in my entire body, couldn't breath ,felt like I was dying, chocking, and overall felt dizzy as hell....No more!!!!!!!!Theres no way....Do not take it. Try anything else. This is killing product....Disgrace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Lyena February 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI. Everything was going well on day 1-2, on day 3, mid day, I began with chest tightness, noticed difference in my breathing. Felt as though the end of my lungs/rib area was extremely sore. It sent me to the ER as I was uncertain what could be causing it. CT scans, tests, and 3,000 out of pocket later, no results showed. Which I'm thankful! they eventually chalked it up to the medication. I immediately stopped it and went back to normal after a few days. Weird stuff! I gave it 5 out of 10 because although it was only three days, the bactrim cleared up whatever it was! Potent stuff"

AAbcdef123456 February 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"On day five of a 10 day course I noticed a rash on my face. Over the next 12 hours it would cover my entire body. It didn't itch it burned!! Doc said benadryl wouldn't help so I needed a steroid shot. I was also very dizzy and tired on this medication. If you have never taken Bactrim and aren't sure if you are allergic to sulfa drugs, I would just take something else."

SunnyintheD (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started taking Cipro for a bladder infection but had some bad side effects in the tendon in my right hand. Went back to the Dr. And he gave me Bactrim(Septra). I took it for 3 days in total before I had to stop. The symptoms literally made me feel like I was dying. I had a really foggy head, headaches, dizziness, I almost passed out one day. I got zero sleep the whole time I was on it. My joints hurt in the night, my skin got really itchy and developed a rash, I also developed extreme anxiety and I felt like I was having a heart attack with the palpitations. I was close to panic attack that's when I said enough is enough. I've never had a reaction like that and I have trouble remembering those days. It was a blur of pain and confusion."

Joebbbb1 (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2016