User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Traveler's Diarrhea 1 reviews 71 medications

Prostatitis 16 reviews 46 medications

3.6
Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 528 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "Be very careful taking this! I was told I have ecoli and was given this prescription. I took one pill last evening at around 7pm. As I was sleeping, I awoke around 1:00AM noticing my lip swelling. I began feeling very dehydrated, nauseus, and got a terrible headache. In the morning, my face was red, legs aching especially around my knees and my head was killing me. I got right in to see my doctor, who gave me Prednisone and told me to immediatey STOP the medication. I have been sick all day. Nausea, headache, leg cramps. I am a healthy 48 year old female. I have NEVER been allergic to any medication before. I read another site where an investigative journalist in London was seeking answers after many reported deaths from taking this!http://briandeer.com/septrin/bactrim-effects-38.htm"

proactive patient (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I hate uti's must had it bad bc cranberry 100%real juice did not work! As always this is what I'm prescribed. I hate that people had awful/bad experience with the drug. I love it, works every time!! Don't know if I'm allowed to say but it sounds to me some might have had an allergic reaction or their body plain just didn't like it! But I've never had problems and greatful for this antibiotic!!"

**relief!!* (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2016

For Acne: "I've tried a bunch of topical medication and 8 months of tetralysal and nothing really worked. I'm now on my third month of Trimethoprim and I'm very happy with my skin. I still have a breakout here and there but nothing compared to what it was before. I'm very happy with it!"

Csivol (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Elderly dementia patient developed extreme anxiety and stayed awake around the clock while taking this drug."

GrandNana (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I had 3 UTIs this year so far, first in February, got cephalexin prescribed, for 7 days .. It returned in June, got prescribed ciprofloxacin for 5 days... It had returned in August... I asked the doctor why this is happening?? She said they prescribed me the wrong drug at first time, the first drug was resistant to the bacteria I had. (Really? Why do we pay doctors for???) so i got Bactrim DS prescribed now, I'm on day 3, got for 5 days. I weight 100 pounds, so I try to take the pill with activitia and yakult, that helps with the upset stomach. I felt as side effects, dry mouth (because dehydrate you), loss of appetite, tiredness, fast heart beating. Hope this works for me, can't be sick anymore because of doctor mistake!!!"

Cutekitty August 21, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "1st day on Bactrim and it sounds like there's a tiger in my stomach and I have the worse stinking farts, my husband had to sleep in another room make sure you get some room freshner spray"

Stinky butt August 19, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I called the doctors due to weird symptoms after my 5th day of taking this medication this concludes (chills, naseous, diareah, headache, and even numbness throughout my entire face , lips and mouth, and the shakes) the pain I get from my uti's (burning sensation, hard to pee and hurts) I felt like bactrim made my pains worse the burning was 100x worse ! I felt as If I was dying!!!! I even had severe insomnia up until 6-7 am! Called the doctors and they said I should have called when the headaches and shakes came a long! Cut me off it immediately and prescribed me macrobid instead, hope it helps !!"

Breezy22 August 16, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "This is my third different antibiotic for a deep leg wound that was surgically debrided 4 weeks ago. I have taken Bactrim DS many times before for bladder infections with few side effects. This time I want to die. I ache all over. I am nauseated and haven't eaten anything except a few oranges for 4 days. I am drinking ginger ale and water. I can barely walk because of weakness. My cat even walks ahead of me and stops to look back at me every few steps instead of us racing. Lest anyone suggest I do not know how to take this med, I am a Registered Nurse and there is no need to question my proper dosing regimen. If it weren't for the fact that I want to keep my lower leg and foot, I would toss this medicine in the trash."

Sheena-RN August 13, 2016

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "Bactrim DS 14 day supply. Took one pill only and stopped. In eight hours after taking one pill my fingers started to itch. Then both of my hands were itching bad all over and red. Then my feet starting itching real bad and red like my hands. 24 hours later my hands and feet itching has subsided. Had to take Benedryl 4 times. Hand and feet still itching but quite a bit better. On my way to get another dose of Benedryl. Hopefully this will go away soon. Keep in mind, I only took one pill! So thankful that I didn't take another pill. Severe allergic reaction. Hopefully the itching will go away completely soon. This was a very dangerous medication for me. I believe that it was the sulfa in the med that caused this."

Lenny Gary August 11, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This antibiotic did horrible for me, it gives me bad migraines even though i drink a ton of water with it, I'm on the second day and have a horrible migraine my spine hurts to walk, server leg cramps, joint pain too.. it's awful.. i will know now to never take this again... my body did not react well. the side effects are not worth it... next time i will be sure to tell my doctor to never prescribe me this again!"

BrittS90 August 9, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Took 1 dose (first dose) at 6am on a tuesday. By 8am throat was sore. 9am feet went numb and started feeling odd, throat hurt more as well. By 11 am feet were red and raw and hurt like nails poking through them. Genitals became beat red and raw! Had a fever and loss of appetite. Did not take anymore after first dose. Thursday feet were better but still had sore throat and genitals still raw and felt nauseous. Friday still sore throat, genitals not as red or raw but developed a hive on them. It's now Saturday and still have sore throat, color is back to normal on genitals but still have hive and now another in the pubic hair area. I'm kinda freaking out now and probably go back to he doctor today. All this from one damn pill! Uti still there"

Ga (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm taking this god awful antibiotic. Two pills for three days. I'm super drowsy. Knocked me out for ten hours and probably would have slept longer had my bf not violently shaking me awake to see if I was still alive, constipated, have a horrible headache, chest pain and can't even keep water down. I wish I never took it. So I'm going to stop taking it. Plus side; I think the infection is gone but not worth it."

ashcon August 5, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Started this med yesterday for the first time. Immediately noticed how strong it is! Prevented vomiting by only taking on a full stomach. Drinking a lot of water will help with the headaches as dehydration will cause this too. I don't recommend taking too late at night because of insomnia."

Rhodesranch (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: "Took it twice like I was supposed to in the morning And at night and my head feel I was drunk kinda like I kept get dizzy and feeling weird I don't know but I still don't feel right I feel like puking and being sick I want to the doctor and got amoxicillin instead and I don't feel any better and I have a zoo trip tomorrow and it made me feel awful and even worse. I still feel kinds drunk and dizzy and like I may pass out and like I'm scared to fall asleep because i may die"

Dizzyhead August 3, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This medecine is the generic brand for Bactrim da and it started working in 2 hours Omg I feel so much better"

NEENDING (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2016

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I've just finished my treatment for a urinary tract infection. I no longer have any symptoms from the infection. First 8 days of a 15 day treatment was fine with no side effects. Beginning the 9th day, I began experiencing a mild rash and itching which seem to begin on my chest and neck and migrated to my back. A bit of a nuisance but tolerable. Around the 11th day, I began to experience mild joint and muscle ache and a tender scalp around the base of the skull. Acetaminophen and ibuprofen have helped to overcome this but by the 14th and 15th day, I felt like a had the flu with no nausea but a loss of appetite. I took the last pill this morning and by 1PM, had to lay down with chills, aches and pains, headache and a slight fever."

Vinylville July 31, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Bactrim has always worked to clear up my uti infections. I have never had any bad experiences with this drug. I love it 800/120 twice a day for 5 days is what has worked for me."

Chabelabela July 29, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Helped clear infection but made me very moody and depressed!! Just finished 3 day course hope the side effects fade ... Nasty :("

Susu31 (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have chronic uti that have spread to kidneys and 2 times septic. 1-3 uti per month for last 4 years. Bactrim never worked...I am told it is used frequently for gram negative bacterias. Finally a University Hospital lab found it was gram negative E. Coli ESBL. Bactrim is not usually effective on ESBL."

Kimberlealv (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Dr. Prescribe for UTI, this almost cost me my life. Migranes, chills, dizziness, chest pain,nausea, indigestion. It was so bad i ended up in the ER with cardiac type symptoms, long story short i ended up having to do a heart cath which turned out ok. Whatever you do run the hell away as far as you can from this medication!!!"

martymar July 23, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "As far as acne treatments go that are effective AND affordable Bactrim is a God send. Late 20's I started mildly breaking out. By age 30 I was getting deep painful cystic pimples. Running/ exercising especially made my condition worse. Bactrim DS improves acne within 24 hours.The redness and swelling is not near as noticeable. After about a week you will notice a close to clear complexion that almost glows...I had moderate acne, but I imagine that Bactrim will work for ppl who have severe acne as well. It does have serious internal esp on kidneys and liver bc it is a sulfa drug so you should drink a lot of water every day with this medicince. Do not drink alcohol while taking Bactrim, good luck!"

Anonymous July 22, 2016

For Acne: "I took sulfamethoxazole all throughout high school and my first year of college and throughout that time my skin was crystal clear. No itty bitty clogged pores, no papules, no white heads. Couldn't have been more perfect. Except for the fact it made me incredibly nauseous in the morning. Also it made me constipated, and whenever I did do a BM it was mushy and watery. It also made me quite bloated. But ever since I was taken off this medicine for those reasons in Dec/15, my skin has been a wreck. I was put on minocycline and it hasn't worked the same. If anything, this is the worst my skin has ever been. I'm thinking about asking my doctor to put me back on sulfamethoxazole and to just suffer through the nausea. What we do for beauty!"

EmShBu (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 22, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "I have tried nearly every antibiotic (doxy, mino, ampicillin, etc) for acne prescribed by 3 dermatologists over 5 years. The only one that worked was doxycycline, which stopped working after 4 months. Then I tried bactrim which cleared my moderate-severe teenage acne gradually (and noticeably) over 1.5 months. Deffinetly the most effective one out there besides accutane."

Dylanyan (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "I was struggling with really bad cystic hormonal acne and frequent white heads. I looked horrible and felt depressed inside. I couldn't look anyone in the eyes. Acne has really sunked my self esteem. When I was on this for a week.. let me just say.. This works!! (For me) I tried everything there is.. Proactiv, antibiotics, eating better, going to a naturalist. This pill, in 2-3months, cleared my acne. It was like a miracle. I'm so thankful for it and it only costs me $8. It saved my life basically!!"

Xellie July 18, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "PA gave me this drug took the pain away but left me with diarrhea the first day. The second day I took my dose, afterwards I got weak and lightheaded and could not eat. I called the office and they said I could discontinue use if I wanted to so I did."

Nhhhh23 July 18, 2016