User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Septra, SMZ-TMP DS, Co-trimoxazole, Septra DS, Bactrim Pediatric, Sulfatrim Pediatric, Bactrim IV Bethaprim Bethaprim Pediatric

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim has an average rating of 4.9 out of 10 from a total of 1,463 ratings on Drugs.com. 34% of those users who reviewed Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reported a positive effect, while 46% reported a negative effect.

Urinary Tract Infection
10.0
Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 4.9 1,463 reviews

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

danilion1289 June 21, 2021

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: “I’m taking 160 mg every 12 hours for a UTI. And I took my seventh pill this morning. The first day I took it I felt completely fine no side effects at all, next morning I woke up and felt horrible, my back where my kidneys are hurt bad, I had a severe cramp where my liver sits underneath my right rib cage to the point I couldn’t even manage to walk around. I felt sick to my stomach, dizzy, just plain horrible. I went to the hospital thinking my liver was failing on me, everything checked out fine. At first I didn’t know it was the medication doing this so I continued to take it. I laid in my bed for three days straight. And today I honestly feel like I’m going to die, it’s making me feel very detached from reality, I feel like I’m going to throw up every where, my head is pounding , I feel tired but can’t sleep. I am 27 years old and have been healthy up to this point NO HEALTH PROBLEMS. I'm stopping this medication and I'm hoping I’ll feel better in a couple days.”

Earthworm June 18, 2021

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: “I have to share my positive experience here for others. I switched to this medicine after a really bad experience with macrobid and I’m very glad I did. I have had zero side effects and the pill is doing exactly what it’s supposed to! This was a refreshing change from the previous medicine and I hope this helps someone prescribed this.”

gnm101 · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2021

For Bacterial Infection: “YIKES!!! I deal with chronic sinusitis, I’ve had two surgeries because of it, so I have to take an antibiotic every so often to cure it. Now, I’ve taken bactrim before, yes it’s made me so sick in the past I couldn’t even finish it, but I’ve had to take it again due to a bad sinus infection. Worse than I remember! Day 2 of taking it I end up in the ER because my anxiety is through the roof, I can’t sleep, I am moody, loss of appetite, a bit confused, nauseous, like I’m here but not here, death thoughts (not suicidal, just a lot of thought around it), and just not feeling like myself. The ER doctor told me I need to see a crisis nurse because it couldn’t be the bactrim, but my ENT definitely has said it. Can’t wait for this to flush out of my system. I’m so glad there’s lots of reviews to beware. This is absolutely TERRIBLE!”

It’ll be okay August 17, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: “I prayed long and hard, I want to pay it forward so someone else didn’t experience the anxiety that came with looking at these reviews. Know that you’re taking this because you have an infection, and that in itself can make you feel miserable. A lot of these side effects mentioned are parallel with symptoms of a significant infection. So there’s that. Take AFTER you eat. Not a “bite of banana. Eat a good meal- Take with a full bottle of water- I took mine with benedryl due to the fact my skin gets itchy ( not a rash) I also took a GOOD probiotic to counter any gut microbiome disruption. Eat bananas- simple foods- not greasy meals. Avoid extra sun exposure or anything that will zap you. Yes, it can make your stomach a little off, but it was tolerable and I was on it twice a day for 5 days 800mg. I was scared- and I will add have FAITH. Let it go. You’re taking it to heal- it’s not always a happy walk in the park process. Every single person reacts different Hope this helps someone.”

Cwalk · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 29, 2020

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Prostatitis: “I’ve been on bactrim for almost three months for Prostatitis which is getting better slowly. Having some lower back pain. Has anyone else had to be on a bactrim for this long to cure this problem. During all this the pain started in my testicles and went up into pain behind my penis. So tired of this pain. Anyone else have the same issues?”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 14, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: “I promised that if I had a decent experience with this antibiotic I would write about it. You will not have any of these scary reactions if you are not allergic or are taking a medication that will interact with this. I have anxiety so I know how it feels to read horrible reviews about meds, but the bactrim worked great for my UTI.”

Mel · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: “I just wanted to share my experience for people like me that are anxious about trying new drugs and see all these bad reviews. Only people who had a bad experience/are allergic tend to write reviews. Probably 90% of people who took Bactrim had no side effects. On that note, I was prescribed this for a moderate bacterial infection. It was probably 50% healed overnight after starting antibiotics, with only VERY minor side effects. It made me pretty tired and gave me a teeny bit of heartburn but that’s it. Don’t worry, major side effects are rare. :)”

Wow · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2020

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: “I was on this drug for only 2 days until I had the worst stomach pains ever like it knocked the wind out of me. I had severe diarrhea with mucus and blood that lasted for weeks after discontinued use. It has been a month and I still have nausea with severe abdominal pains, headaches, anxiety, light sensitivity, white bumps on my gums. I’m scared that my organs are damaged which I am currently being tested for. I have never had any of these symptoms before and was perfectly healthy! I am young too. This drug RUINED my life. I would rate this drug in the negatives if I could. Should not be allowed to be prescribed!”

Leia · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: “I have an intense phobia of taking meds due to a life threatening experience with another antibiotic, so I've been tuned into any possible side effect forming within my body after reading all the warnings for this med. I was diagnosed with a severe UTI that was starting to effect my kidneys, so my doc said it was imperative I take medication and prescribed Bactrim DS for 7 days, twice a day. I have had 2 full doses, and 24 hours about 70% of my UTI symptoms have disappeared and I have had virtually no negative side effects. Within 48 hours almost completely gone. I do have some very mild itching with no rash or redness that comes and goes. And heartburn (potentially from a combo of taking the med plus cranberry juice that already gives me heartburn sometimes). That's it! Energy is fine, no weird pains, no tummy specific issues, etc. I am only on day 2, so if anything scary happens, I will update that info. So far, I have had a good experience with Bactrim!”

Sadie April 21, 2021

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: “Let me tell you, I was so nervous to start Bactrim after reading these reviews. I thought for sure I was going to have terrible side effects. Turns out, I’m completely fine. The most I’ve had is some nausea/lack of appetite but I get that with almost all antibiotics. Make sure you eat a meal ahead of taking each pill and drink lots of water. As long as you’re not allergic to sulfa drugs, I can almost guarantee that you’re going to be ok :). Remember, temporary side effects are better than a kidney infection!!”

Hilgy September 16, 2014

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: “Contacted MRSA and received Bactrim for 14 days and cleared. Three years later contacted cellulitus from a wound not taken care of by me. Bactrim took care of it. Dangerous conditions cured with Bactrim.”

Maria · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 8, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: “I started getting boils about a couple of years ago. And they are the worse! Took me along time to figure out what I could do to get some relief and make them go away. My dr prescribes me Bactrim and it starts to relieve the pressure and they start going down within 24 hours. I also like to put this boil salve on them with a bandaid, to keep it on there and without a mess. And the two work great! I see a lot of bad reviews. Well I have had bad anxiety/panic attacks for over 10 years now and Bactrim does not make it any worse. I don't have any side effects from this antibiotic. It works great for me. Some people may read reviews that are bad and they may think themselves into a panic attack. If you're allergic to it, that's another thing. Can't do anything for that. I'm just happy I have found an antibiotic that gets rid of these severe painful boils!”

Lirpa13 October 30, 2013

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: “Can't live without having this in by medicine cabinet. At the onset of a suspected boil I take this and problem solved! I have been taking this for many years. Before Bactrim I had boil after boil, scars, and embarrassment. Miracle drug for boils, who cares about minor side effects!!!”

Jae · Taken for less than 1 month December 23, 2020

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: “honestly not terrible. I was prescribed Bactrim 2 doses/day for 7 days after they prescribed keflex (which didn’t work). A little nausea after the first couple doses, some indigestion, some lower back pain. As long as you drink lots of water with the pill and throughout the day the side effects are pretty mild. I had ginger chews and pepto for stomach issues that worked well. Eat a big meal before you take the pill too. kombucha, yogurt, and probiotics during and after the course will help your stomach heal. I would much prefer this over a kidney infection. If you’re having major side effects from day one, perhaps try something different. Everyone reacts differently!”

kdezzle · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: “Posting my experience to hopefully put some minds at ease as reading these reviews really scared me! I am very sensitive to antibiotics and have had adverse reactions to the past three I have taken. I was prescribed Bactrim for a nasty spider bite to help it & prevent further infection. On day two I already experience immense relief from the pain and the bite started to shrink. I now am on day five and have had no side effects at all except some fatigue and minor nausea at night. Definitely bearable. Be sure to take a probiotic and remember everyone’s body is different! I am happy I finally found an antibiotic that agrees with me.”

ParanoidForNothing · Taken for less than 1 month January 1, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: “Like many others, I read review after review on here of negative experiences, making myself terrified of taking this drug. As someone who is so worried about throwing up that I carry anti-nausea medication with me everywhere I go, I was very reluctant to begin 6 weeks of Bactrim after reading all of these reviews. Fortunately, I experienced no major side effects and it seems to be helping with the infection. Some very mild nausea at first that was likely anxiety-induced, and acid reflux which is common with all antibiotics. Yogurt and a probiotic daily helps with this. Anyway, I promised myself that I would write a positive review if I ended up having a positive experience, so here it is. If you're worried like I was, remember that people are way more inclined to post drug reviews online when they have negative experiences, than normal or positive ones. The vast majority of people taking Bactrim feel absolutely fine, and keeping this in mind may help ease your fears as well.”

Girl with a red ear February 6, 2017

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: “First and foremost I want to let you all know, reading things on the internet, WILL NOT help, nor really be a good indicator of your personal reaction to any drug. There are many negative reviews here for Bactrim, and I'm on day 3 of a 10 day dose for a staph infection (cellulitis) on, of all places the right side of my face/right ear (its wonderful!). Here's my experience: Side Effects: Fatigue, headaches (though not consistent). I have a weaker stomach, and its doing just fine with my probiotic (get one with 30billion strands) and drinking lots of water/eating while taking it. The infection is clearing up. Day 3 was when I really noticed. Don't be anxious when taking this, its definitely a mind over matter thing sometimes too.”

Crazy · Taken for less than 1 month June 26, 2020

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: “I had a staph infection and I am also on paxil for depression. I used bactrim for eight days and became very sick. My depression was very severe with this drug. Cold sweats, very weak, mouth issues, nerve pain in legs, headache insomnia and what makes it worse is that you are on a roller coaster. ”

Kd0520 · Taken for less than 1 month June 27, 2020

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: “I took Bactrim for 4 days. On the 4th day, I started having leg pain. The day after I quit the meds, I had all over body aches, a low grade temp off and on and just a feeling of being ick. The next day, my aches went away but held on to the low grade temp, headache and weakness for two more days. During the course of the medication, I also had a pounding heart and no appetite. It did clear the infection though. I think I had a bad reaction and only wanted to report these so that others might know if they have the same thing happening to them. It took about 5 days from my last pill that I feel better.”

Lauren2349 January 8, 2020

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: “I was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI. Felt fine the first day. By day 2, I experienced horrible symptoms or side effects. I was having severe anxiety, nausea, increased heart rate, and shaking in my body. Called my doctor and she said to continue taking it but after reading all of these reviews I’ve decided to stop taking the antibiotics. So scary to see so many other women going through the same thing!”

Col August 18, 2018

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: “I’m on a Day 4 of very high dose (2 tabls twice a day) and it’s about the same as when I took it years ago (so far). On second day felt queasy, tongue and lips a little irritable, gut uncomfortable, generally crummy. By end of third day better on all fronts and expect/hope to be ok (using for a MRSA boil; redness going away rapidly!). I (almost) eliminated refined sugar, drink lots of water, not too much sun. Why so many bad reviews? I guess people who do ok (vast majority) don’t visit the site or leave comments. Hope this helps.”

April January 31, 2021

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: “I went to dermatologists for five years because of cysts/boils that were on my butt. I'd get one, it would go away, and I'd get another one. Doctors would put me on expensive medication that did nothing. Then I found the best dermatologist in the city and waited for four months to see him. The doctor said I would take Bactrim/sulfa 500mg 2x's a day for 30 days. I did that and they disappeared. He said some people have to take them for life, others would take them for 10 days when you have any little sign or a boil or cyst. I start taking the medication and the cyst or boil disappears. What a miracle treatment it's been to me as a person prone to cysts and boils!!!”

LizzyC. · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2017

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: “I broke out in blisters on face, scalp, and chest. These were oozing a clear sticky fluid that literally melted the skin it oozed over. Tried everything over the counter and homeopathic but this flesh eating infection would not clear. Finally went to urgent care and was prescribed Bactrim for an assumed MRSA skin infection. Within The first 24 hours I had noticeable improvement. Sores weren't burning red and swollen, by 3rd day some scabs are already falling off with healthy pink skin underneath, no ooze, no new blisters. Day 5 you would hardly know I had a skin problem. All clear. Only side effect I had was loss of appetite. Didn't want to eat, nothing sounded good. Lost 4 pounds. Not everyone reacts bad to Bactrim.”

Matt · Taken for less than 1 month April 25, 2020

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: “I feel like it saved my life. I got my first UTI and it was the most painful thing I've ever experienced. I didn't sleep for two days and was not only peeing blood but peeing clots of blood. My back ached, my hips ached and I was completely exhausted. The morning after I took my first pill, all symptoms were gone. ALL SYMPTOMS WERE GONE. I of course was still exhausted but that was from little sleep the previous days. I had zero side effects. Now I'm back to normal, loving life.”

irairainthegrass June 3, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: “Day 3 on BACTRIM due to MRSA. Abscess was lanced and drained 5 days ago. Swelling/Pain of the abscess has finally begun remission. I did suffer from the reported migraine headache all day yesterday and it was quite debilitating, but no such headache today and I'm finally back at work. Also suffered from some seriously painful abdominal cramps that produced very loose/watery stool. Not much of an appetite today and feeling a little shaky so make sure you eat even if you don't want to. This drug is definitely very effective for treatment of MRSA. If the migraines were constant as others described I wouldn't not be back at work today. All my best wishes to everyone reading this.”

Greenfox · Taken for less than 1 month September 17, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “I am on the last day of a seven day course of this combo antibiotic sulfamethoxazole with trimethoprim. The infection has cleared up yes (UTI) but my anxiety has been amplified 10 fold, as well as having hot flushes, a hard time concentrating, fatigue, and extreme depression. I would recommend that anyone who has a preexisting anxiety disorder or depression request a different antibiotic as sulfamethoxazole with trimethoprim seems to make anxiety a lot worse. I feel miserable right now.”

Syn · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “First off, do NOT get scared by these reviews. Don't be scared to take a drug that may benefit you. Everybody's body processes medications differently. While someone may have a side effect, you may not. I had ZERO side effects on this medication, and I took it for 7 days. It did what it was supposed to. The people getting rashes and hives are allergic to it. That's not the drugs fault. It's not a death drug, so don't be scared of these reviews, and get better!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 13, 2020

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: “This drug is terrible!! Run if the Dr prescribes this. Day 1 I had a headache and aches to my kidneys. Like I could literally feel the pain to my kidneys!! I felt bloated, vomiting, fever of 101, pain to kidneys, jittery and chills. Pls pls don't take it. The ratio of the ones that had no symptoms to the ones who did is a big difference! I took it for 2 days then threw the rest down the toilet. The ONLY good thing was I took 1 dose and the next day felt relief...but still.... eff this stuff!”