User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, Sulfatrim Pediatric, Uroplus, Uroplus DS …show all brand names

Shigellosis

Diverticulitis
3.3

Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 5.5 926 reviews

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I am on a three day dose of Bactrim twice a day for a slight UTI , I was fine the 1st day of taking the medication but since then I have felt so sick all day (I have taken it with full meals) and fatigued and diarrhea , it is horrible!!! I am on my last day and I can’t wait to be off of it because the nausea is the worst!!! I was worried that it was something else until I came here and read other people’s reviews and seeing as it didn’t start until after taking the medication! Mind you have taken this medication before and never had any side effects!"

Miranda (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm on day 3 of a twice a day. I've been drinking a lot of juice and water with them. A few hours after taking the first pill I started getting the urge to pee a lot even when I don't have much in my bladder and it burns. I also get slight stomach pains but that's all. I'm not getting sick or no rashes or anything but afraid the medication is making my UTI worse cuz I didn't even know I had 1 before I went to the doctors. First time I went to docs and was told I have a kidney stone and a few weeks after was told a UTI and it's not getting better yet so sticking with the medication a few more days and hoping it helps if not then back to the docs"

Randy (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2018

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Kidney Infections: "making me sick to my stomach, which is causing me to miss classes"

horsecrazy (taken for less than 1 month) October 10, 2018

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Cured the UTI quickly, then all good until day 9 when I started having stomach pain & fatigue. I didn’t associate it with the antibiotic, until I became covered with a rash (non-itchy) all over my torso on day 10. Went to the dr and they attributed all the symptoms to an allergic reaction to Bactrim. I’ve never had any drug allergies previously."

MM (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2018

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Been on Bactrim before and it worked but had been on daily low dose antibiotic since Keflex 11/17. Then 3 weeks ago another UTI so was put on Cipro after culture last dose Friday. Urine still cloudy with a foul odor. Sick Sat yesterday went to ER as had a migraine, nausea and fever. They did Computed tomography of kidneys, ureters and bladder (CT KUB) scan and send me home on 3 weeks of this antibiotic. In pain today with fever so took Tylenol. I am alone and dunno what to do. My doc office may be closed as i can’t figure what’s going on with their phone lines."

Cockatoo October 8, 2018

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: "I just wanted to pop in and say Bactrim is a Sulpha drug. A lot of people are allergic to Sulpha and some are allergic to the trimethoprim part as well. Those of you having a reaction, this is probably why. You also need to tell your Dr you're allergic to Sulpha drugs or trimethoprim so they don't prescribe you any! Be well!"

Vikingwarmaiden (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2018

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "Worst part of this was the size of the pill. Had to buy a pill cutter. Otherwise, it did make me a little moody and anxious but I did not have any other major symptoms. Took for 7 days for staph infection on skin."

lemonlime24 (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2018

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: "Hope I'm not responding prematurely, but I feel improvement within 24 hours. Still have 12 days to go."

Elliemae (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2018

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "I got this for an infected toe I had. I'm suppose to take 2 pills a day for 10 days. I'm nauseous, I don't have an appetite, severe muscle pain, headaches ,dizziness, and dry mouth. This was too strong of a dose for me."

Victoria October 4, 2018

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "after completely the course of 14 tablets 800X160 DS. The symptoms did not go away."

Ziggy (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2018

For Acne: "I take this medicine for acne and it’s SO HORRIBLE it makes my anxiety soooo bad and I’m nauseous all the time. I can’t sleep at night I used to take benadryl or sleeping pills and those don’t even work anymore, it’s so harsh on my body and I stopped taking it 2 nights ago I’m done with it"

rach (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "My experience with this drug is HORROR. The first night I took the drug everything was fine. I've been on an anxiety medication prior to taking Bactrim. However, the anxiety that I felt day 2 was like anxiety I've never felt before! I've thrown up in the past, but with Bactrim I couldn't eat anything! I threw up almost every meal that I ate and woke up all throughout the night! The nausea and insomnia were so bad, these resulted in even more heightened anxiety levels. I stopped taking it after 3 days, because I could not handle it!!! It did help my infection, but in my opinion it wasn't worth it."

Kyle (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2018

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: "After taking three pills I had a fever and end in Emergency Room with infection in my mouth and genitals. I was diagnosed with Thrush, Yeast."

IGM September 30, 2018

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "I had a very widespread bacterial infection all over my legs and it spread to my arms thanks to a misdiagnosis at the first clinic I went to, but I was prescribed Bactrim from the second clinic. My rash has cleared up a lot and I've noticed a big change, but the debilitating nausea, cold sweats, and stomach aches are the worst. It will come and go in waves and it will wake me up in the middle of the night. I have eaten a lot when taking this and I drink a lot of water, but every time I take this I have to take an Advil because the stomach pain is just unbearable. Every time the painkiller wears off I feel like I'm dying. The result of the rash going away is worth it, but the pain and nausea is NOT."

Cindy (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2018

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed this for a UTI. Worst experience ever! got up to day 4 of taking it and started to feel weak, confused, had really bad back and neck pain, pain when I walked. I also had watery, itchy, burning eyes, massive headache, sleepy and fatigue and like tight chest. At night I couldn't sleep, had the chills and a cold sweat. I have lost my appetite and have lost 6 pounds in just 4 days! I have stopped taking them but now I am developing a rash on my body that really itches. Please people beware of this. My advise is to ask for something else, or at the first sign of a symptom stop taking."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2018

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Took it for 3 days and got sick and dizzy spells"

Nan September 26, 2018

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: "Don’t believe everything you read here. I took this drug for a sinus infection I developed on a plane coming from overseas. Within four hours I started feeling better. Took about five days until I felt completely well. When I went to see the doctor, I had a temperature of 100.3 and felt bad. This drug may not be for everyone but it worked for me. No side effects."

Marylin (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2018

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "I developed extended-spectrum beta-lactamases (ESBL) urinary septicemia in the hospital - the infection control Doctor -put me on bactrim after the IV antibiotics were finished. Then I saw him 1 month later and he wants me on the bactrim twice daily for the rest of my life due to the urinary sepsis. I have lost 13 lbs - needed to lose weight - but otherwise no problems with the bactrim"

frannie (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 25, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "This drug seemed to help rid me of my UTI but it did cause some side effects. Hot flashes, nausea, extremely vivid nightmares & general GI upset were the most notable. (One night I was awakened by a sound while in bed & hallucinated that my mom was standing in the doorway. I yelled at her to 'get out!' & thought I heard a reply but it turned out to be my full-length mirror I was yelling at). But compared to, say, Cipro or Clindamycin, Bactrim wasn't too bad for me. Note: I say "for me" because everyone reacts differently. Antibiotics, like most drugs, are a trial-and-error thing. You don't know which ones will agree with you until you try them which is pretty scary."

Barbie Turate (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2018

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Never again!!!!!!!!!! I was put on this for 3 days-2 pills a day for a UTI. I was laid up in bed for 4 days. I was extremely nauseous, chills, sweats, headache, dizzy, couldn’t eat a single thing, and after day 2 I got a SEVERE yeast infection. The pain was unlike anything that has ever happened to me. Took 2 trips to the doctor and over a week to feel somewhat normal again down there. This was way to strong and unnecessary for a simple UTI infection. Never will I ever take this again. I wish I could give it a zero, I am still having nightmares about this drug"

jro (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Was prescribed this for my UTI, doctor said to take 1 pill twice daily for 3 days. After taking the first 2 pills on day 1 I felt fine. But now it’s day 2, I took one pill and started to feel miserable. My anxiety blew through the roof, I felt so sick to my stomach, I felt like puking every 5 minutes, my head is pounding, and the thought of food makes me want to throw up even more. I have never taken an antibiotic that has made me feel this bad. I thought maybe just laying down and drinking lots of water would help, but I couldn’t even do so. I was throwing up so much that I made my roommate take me to the ER. They prescribed me with a dissolving tablet to help with my nausea and a whole new prescription because I felt that even after day 2, my UTI symptoms didn’t go away. I truly thought I was going to die while taking this."

Mel September 21, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "I've been on the medicine four days. I've been getting headaches, nausea and today which is the 4th day I feel like I have the flu. I'm going to stop taking it. It helped with the bacteria infection."

Sophia September 21, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "It works but it’s not worth the awfulness that you go through while taking them. I honestly felt like complete ass the entire time. I was supposed to take 2 doses for three days, and I could barely do it. Headaches, MAJOR NAUSEA, vomiting, how much further can I go on... I recommend asking for a different drug than this one. Also, I read somewhere that it helps some people’s anxiety; that’s a big N.O. for me. It made my anxiety 100 times worse."

Al (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2018

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "Have been using the medication for 2 days for a MRSA boil and it has helped and started the healing process. The pain and redness has definitely decreased. I have nothing but good things to say about this medication"

Tye (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Ringing in my ear after 3hr of taking med!!!"

Dj (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...