User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Traveler's Diarrhea 1 reviews 72 medications

Prostatitis 16 reviews 47 medications

3.6
Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 540 reviews 6.2

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "Bactrim ds works for me. I had cystic acne all over my face and body it was so scary .I only work and stayed in the house but as soon as I stop taking this medicine I got acne back all on my face."

Cassandrap September 26, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Just got prescribed this drug yesterday. 2 a day for 3 days. Took my first dose in the morning and the second at night, I fell asleep soon after. A few hours later I was woken up with terrible stomach pain and serious nausea. I ended up vomiting several times. After, it felt a little better but then the pains came right back and nausea persists. Cant sleep, don't think I want to deal with another night of this, hate this medication"

Ickyyyy (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2016

For Infection Prophylaxis: "Yesterday I took my first dose as an infection preventative so that my toe nail that was butchered off by a nail shop would not get infected. Two hours later my tongue was painful and felt heavy and swollen, my throat tightened and a sore of some sort popped up inside the inner cheek of my mouth. It was hard and painful like an abscess. My eyes turned blood shot red. I have been looking like a GD zombie for almost 24hrs. 12 hours later after taking the medication yesterday my tongue is no longer sore, but today the sore in mouth is still present. The sore no longer hurts though. I'm itching like crazy, and I'm having flu like symptoms."

ToeGurl September 20, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Took my first pill in the afternoon with my lunch and drank plenty of water that day. It made my stomach hurt a little but I figured I could deal with it as long as it helped my uti go away. Took the 2nd pill later that night with dinner. About 2 hours later I'm in bed I can't stop holding my stomach it feels like shards of glass we're cutting me on the inside. My boyfriend gave me pepto which helped for about 30 min until I puked it up. It's morning time I won't ever take those pills again my body is so weak and when I get up to walk my stomach wants to push everything back up. :("

Hurt Tummy September 19, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "Lovin' It! I am about 5 days into the stuff. Prescribed to me for UTI that cleared up in 2 days from this. Sulphameth/TMP is a SUPERPILL. 1. No more UTI 2. No appetite - I barely eat more than a piece of fruit a day. Losing the weight. 3. No thirst. I am drinking a little but maybe 30oz a day. (24oz Monster, 6oz water to take my 2 AM/PM doses). Don't feel at all dehydrated, unless I go out in Sun. 4. Stress & Anxiety gone. And I was major stressed. 5. 40+ yrs sinus congestion gone. Only side effect is sweating when I sleep really badly. Oddly only at night, guess I detox more then. I feel more energy and alive than ever. Don't make me stop."

Robert in SLC (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I got this bactrim dm antibiotic prescribed to me for prostatitis/ uti symptoms not to long ago.. I took the medication twice a day for about a month!!! Some days were better then others.. if i would take it with an empty stomach and not enough water to swallow the big chunky tablet my lips would feel some kind of burning sensation going on and I would just feel kind of itchy all over. If I would take it with food and about two glasses of water I'd be perfectly fine! Anyways I don't know why but even after a month of taking the medication twice a day everyday, my uti symptoms are still their! They're not as bad as they were before I started taking the antibiotics.. but they're some what still noticeable.. grrrrrrr!"

Mr.Monthly September 14, 2016

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "I took this medication SMZ/TMP for acne/scars on my face. I had a very severe allergic reaction. My face was swollen and lips. My hands swelled up. I had terrible pains in my wrists up to my arms and pain in my stomach/abdomen. This happened after taking it for around a week. My dad had to drive me to the Emergency Room because I couldn't swallow and was almost choking. I was so scared. I warn anyone going on this medication to think twice. I had no idea I would have an Anaphylaxis reaction to it. Very serious. It was Hell going through this and I really thought I would die. I didn't know what was happening to me as I was choking in my sleep. My mom looked up the side effects and that's when we found out it was a terrible reaction."

L 1995 September 13, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Gave two stars because it did actually clear up my uti, I think. No more burning or cloudy urine. The side effects were awful. Not only did I have extreme nausea, headaches, chills, hot flashes, insomnia, constipation, shakiness, and racing heart but it also came with emotional/mental side effects which I've never experienced with a prescription before. I feel super anxious and a bit paranoid, to the point of keeping me up at night. I'm on my 4th day of 7 day dose, but today will be my last on this medicine. I've decided I'd rather risk getting the UTI again than deal with these side effects any longer, if it comes back I'll definitely be asking my doctor for a different antibiotic. And I took it exactly as directed, with plenty of water."

Chinsley (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2016

For Kidney Infections: "After 5 days of taking 300g once a day. I am not better. If anything my symptoms are worse. May as well have been given placebos."

Scorpeg (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "Before trying Bactrim, I had attempted a number of treatments. The last I had tried before it was Accutane, which I took for 5 months and which benefited me only for a short while. After my acne returned, my dermatologist suggested I try something different, and gave me a prescription for Bactrim. I was so happy as I didn't break out when I started it and it had cleared the acne from my face for an entire year. This month however the acne returned and it couldn't have done so at a worse time - I have planned a 2 month trip to South America with a group of friends. I can no longer rely on Bactrim and will need to find an alternative (I feel like I've tried every 'solution' there is)."

Jack Smithers August 31, 2016

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "I was given dosage of Bactrim for 10 days 2 times a day for a spider bite. Side effects were nausea, diarrhea, tiredness, loopy feeling, slight fever, and loss of appetite. I had a general feeling of malaise and "blah". All I wanted to do was use the bathroom and sleep. I couldn't focus on anything at work. I couldn't make myself finish it. I stopped after day 5. It didn't matter if I ate a bunch of food or drank a lot of water while taking it. I was running to the bathroom. I have never had such bad side effects to any antibiotic. If there are complications to the spider bite, I'll go back to the doctor for something else."

Lydia in the Garden August 30, 2016

For Acne: "When I was in high school, people would notice how great my skin was. In junior high, I started getting one to a few small pimples and then they turned into big bumps. I was crying and even praying they'd go away. I did a lot of research from natural remedies to medications, but boy nothing ever worked like this one has, and still is working for me. It came to a point I don't care anymore if I was washing my face twice a day, after 2 to 3 weeks my skin's clear. Although scars are still there, but at least, I can wake up each day only to mind those scars and not anymore with those big ones that I know that have pusses inside. Even those scars I had at my back's just gone. I'd rather try this than accutane. Try it. It's a Godsend for me."

31mAsia (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 28, 2016

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "Be very careful taking this! I was told I have ecoli and was given this prescription. I took one pill last evening at around 7pm. As I was sleeping, I awoke around 1:00AM noticing my lip swelling. I began feeling very dehydrated, nauseus, and got a terrible headache. In the morning, my face was red, legs aching especially around my knees and my head was killing me. I got right in to see my doctor, who gave me Prednisone and told me to immediatey STOP the medication. I have been sick all day. Nausea, headache, leg cramps. I am a healthy 48 year old female. I have NEVER been allergic to any medication before. I read another site where an investigative journalist in London was seeking answers after many reported deaths from taking this!http://briandeer.com/septrin/bactrim-effects-38.htm"

proactive patient (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I hate uti's must had it bad bc cranberry 100%real juice did not work! As always this is what I'm prescribed. I hate that people had awful/bad experience with the drug. I love it, works every time!! Don't know if I'm allowed to say but it sounds to me some might have had an allergic reaction or their body plain just didn't like it! But I've never had problems and greatful for this antibiotic!!"

**relief!!* (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2016

For Acne: "I've tried a bunch of topical medication and 8 months of tetralysal and nothing really worked. I'm now on my third month of Trimethoprim and I'm very happy with my skin. I still have a breakout here and there but nothing compared to what it was before. I'm very happy with it!"

Csivol (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Elderly dementia patient developed extreme anxiety and stayed awake around the clock while taking this drug."

GrandNana (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I had 3 UTIs this year so far, first in February, got cephalexin prescribed, for 7 days .. It returned in June, got prescribed ciprofloxacin for 5 days... It had returned in August... I asked the doctor why this is happening?? She said they prescribed me the wrong drug at first time, the first drug was resistant to the bacteria I had. (Really? Why do we pay doctors for???) so i got Bactrim DS prescribed now, I'm on day 3, got for 5 days. I weight 100 pounds, so I try to take the pill with activitia and yakult, that helps with the upset stomach. I felt as side effects, dry mouth (because dehydrate you), loss of appetite, tiredness, fast heart beating. Hope this works for me, can't be sick anymore because of doctor mistake!!!"

Cutekitty August 21, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "1st day on Bactrim and it sounds like there's a tiger in my stomach and I have the worse stinking farts, my husband had to sleep in another room make sure you get some room freshner spray"

Stinky butt August 19, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I called the doctors due to weird symptoms after my 5th day of taking this medication this concludes (chills, naseous, diareah, headache, and even numbness throughout my entire face , lips and mouth, and the shakes) the pain I get from my uti's (burning sensation, hard to pee and hurts) I felt like bactrim made my pains worse the burning was 100x worse ! I felt as If I was dying!!!! I even had severe insomnia up until 6-7 am! Called the doctors and they said I should have called when the headaches and shakes came a long! Cut me off it immediately and prescribed me macrobid instead, hope it helps !!"

Breezy22 August 16, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "This is my third different antibiotic for a deep leg wound that was surgically debrided 4 weeks ago. I have taken Bactrim DS many times before for bladder infections with few side effects. This time I want to die. I ache all over. I am nauseated and haven't eaten anything except a few oranges for 4 days. I am drinking ginger ale and water. I can barely walk because of weakness. My cat even walks ahead of me and stops to look back at me every few steps instead of us racing. Lest anyone suggest I do not know how to take this med, I am a Registered Nurse and there is no need to question my proper dosing regimen. If it weren't for the fact that I want to keep my lower leg and foot, I would toss this medicine in the trash."

Sheena-RN August 13, 2016

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "Bactrim DS 14 day supply. Took one pill only and stopped. In eight hours after taking one pill my fingers started to itch. Then both of my hands were itching bad all over and red. Then my feet starting itching real bad and red like my hands. 24 hours later my hands and feet itching has subsided. Had to take Benedryl 4 times. Hand and feet still itching but quite a bit better. On my way to get another dose of Benedryl. Hopefully this will go away soon. Keep in mind, I only took one pill! So thankful that I didn't take another pill. Severe allergic reaction. Hopefully the itching will go away completely soon. This was a very dangerous medication for me. I believe that it was the sulfa in the med that caused this."

Lenny Gary August 11, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This antibiotic did horrible for me, it gives me bad migraines even though i drink a ton of water with it, I'm on the second day and have a horrible migraine my spine hurts to walk, server leg cramps, joint pain too.. it's awful.. i will know now to never take this again... my body did not react well. the side effects are not worth it... next time i will be sure to tell my doctor to never prescribe me this again!"

BrittS90 August 9, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Took 1 dose (first dose) at 6am on a tuesday. By 8am throat was sore. 9am feet went numb and started feeling odd, throat hurt more as well. By 11 am feet were red and raw and hurt like nails poking through them. Genitals became beat red and raw! Had a fever and loss of appetite. Did not take anymore after first dose. Thursday feet were better but still had sore throat and genitals still raw and felt nauseous. Friday still sore throat, genitals not as red or raw but developed a hive on them. It's now Saturday and still have sore throat, color is back to normal on genitals but still have hive and now another in the pubic hair area. I'm kinda freaking out now and probably go back to he doctor today. All this from one damn pill! Uti still there"

Ga (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm taking this god awful antibiotic. Two pills for three days. I'm super drowsy. Knocked me out for ten hours and probably would have slept longer had my bf not violently shaking me awake to see if I was still alive, constipated, have a horrible headache, chest pain and can't even keep water down. I wish I never took it. So I'm going to stop taking it. Plus side; I think the infection is gone but not worth it."

ashcon August 5, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Started this med yesterday for the first time. Immediately noticed how strong it is! Prevented vomiting by only taking on a full stomach. Drinking a lot of water will help with the headaches as dehydration will cause this too. I don't recommend taking too late at night because of insomnia."

Rhodesranch (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2016