User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Traveler's Diarrhea 1 reviews 75 medications

Prostatitis 18 reviews 48 medications

3.6
Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 715 reviews 5.9

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: "Prescribed Bactrim after I got bit by a black widow spider. 36 hrs after the bite, my skin was red, swollen and a red streak was tracking up my arm towards my armpit. Given bactrim to prevent worsening cellulitis (further infection). No issues until I took a morning dose, 4th day, after only having coffee. Felt queasy and an hour later , had cramps, bowel motion. Thought I needed to eat. Ate half avocado and 15 mins later, vomited till stomach felt empty. Only took about 8 heaves but rested my gut for a few hours and kept down fish, egg and avocado. Next dose about 10:30pm and I'm eating first!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was scared to death to take this medication. I got the Bactrim on a Friday night and didn't have the courage to take it until Sunday night. The horror stories I read about it almost gave me panic attack just thinking about the what if's. Luckily I haven't had any side effects other than my lips burned a bit after the first dose and I was jittery. I am sure to eat a full meal before taking the dose."

Sarahearn22 (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I had a bad UTI and I have taken this in the past and I am now taking it again. I get 4-7 days depending on doctor. It almost always clears it up. If you don't eat like I do then you can get nauseated if you take it on an empty stomach. The pill is huge so I chew it and use a spoon of yogurt and eat it down like that. I wish they made chewable versions or coated versions as it's hard to take but I do take it! The pill is a miracle worker and helps me greatly."

Misslilliana (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "Took this for a skin infection. Sort of worked for the infection. Caused major side effects. Skin rash, headaches, irritability, depression, lowered sex drive. It’s been two days since stopping it and I still feel bad. I don’t recommend this drug."

aziz789 September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "I had fairly clear skin until I turned 25. My skin started freaking out and everyday I was waking up with a new cysts under my skin. Most of them gathered on my right cheek. I literally became a hermit for months and months because my self esteem was at an all time low. I could feel people staring at them during conversations. My dermatologist put me on two separate antibiotics and both seemed to actually make my skin worse. At my most recent visit, my dermatologist put me on Bactrim. We both talked about how I will have to get on accutane if this didn't work. After a week of taking Bactrim, my skin is completely clear (minus the scarring). I couldn't be more pleased. Finally feeling like myself again. :)"

Charlotte704 (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "I've been on Bactrim and Aczone 7.5% for about a month now and my face is completely clear! I started noticing less breakouts the second week and by the end of the third week I had no new ones. I apply the Aczone in the morning before putting on makeup and then again at night after I wash my face. I'm not totally sure if it's the Bactrim or the Aczone that's clearing it up (maybe a combination?) but it's improved so much that even my bf mentioned that he noticed a difference this past week. I've also experienced no major side effects. My only concern is that once I slowly start to come off the medication, will the acne come back. Definitely give it a shot though if you've been struggling with acne and don't want to resort to Accutane!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have always taken Bactrim for a UTI and it has always worked with zero side effects. I took two every 12 hours for ten days and I'm perfectly fine now. "

Suz44 September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Was prescribed two pills per day for seven days. I could already tell about 5 hours after I took my first dose that my UTI symptoms had improved. Not miraculously, but enough to give me some relief. I went and got some Azo too, but ended up not needing to take it because the Bactrim started to help pretty quickly. I've taken three doses now, and my symptoms are MUCH improved. I will of course continue the full course to make sure the infection is knocked out completely. I haven't really experienced any side effects at all. I think if you follow the instructions to a "T" you will have much fewer, if any, side effects. Take the pill with a meal and at least one full glass of water, then water all day long. It works!"

Pamela789 September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "No health insurance. Went to the ER for UTI and was prescribed Bactrim. UTI symptoms quickly subsided (didn't disappear completely but like 90% better) so that was nice. Then the Bactrim symptoms started. Oh man. I had a different set of symptoms every day. First it was tingly hands and severe fatigue. Then I had a full blown panic attack (depression and anxiety can be made worse by Bactrim apparently so I tried to keep reminding myself of that). Last couple of days I've had headaches and bad nausea. I'm on day 6 of my 7 day course now-- gonna try my best to make it through the whole course but wowww it's tough. I just hope these symptoms clear up once my pills are gone. It got its job done but made me miserable in the process!"

Mega530 September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Kidney Infections: "The first two days were fine... I was diagnosed with a kidney infection and it seemed to work pretty well, despite a little nausea... Day 3 is when all hell broke loose. I started a new job and was running errands. I had left the house, took my medicine, grabbed a water bottle but didn't have time to eat what a mistake. 2 hours after taking Bactrim my head felt like it was going to implode. While I was driving on interstate 95 through northern VA I had a quick onset of nausea. There was no where for me to pull off. I ended up vomiting all over myself. By all over myself I mean all over myself and my car. It continued and has now been 24 hours. Went to ER for severe dehydration and am now spending the night at the hospital. Yay!"

Martha1992 August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I just stated this medication (maybe 2 and a half weeks) and wow! Let me give some background info (18, Male, acne prone/drier than normal skin type, shade and use makeup on the daily) I tried everything from spot treatments and epiduo (which worked for a couple of months but the purging periods were long and horrible! I highly do not recommend tropical treatments) I tried 2 other oral meds before this one and none worked but there omg! My skin is soft and a even skin tone color! ! And it's only been half a month imagine for months to come! I'm so excited and finally confident in my skin. I would truly recommend this medication before opting out to do something like acutane. Also I have not had any side effects my stats are 17, 5'7 125lbs"

Roger gil (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm on my 4th day of the dosage. Since day one of taking it I started vomiting a couple hours of the dose. Been like that ever since, vomiting and diarrhea all day. Today I started eating yogurt after taking it on recommendation of the pharmacist. It has helped some and cut down the severely and frequency of the vomiting and diarrhea but hasn't eliminated it. Can't wait to reach day 7 to be done.. I called the doctor, only thing he said was I had to keep taking it or I'd be admitted to hospital. Screw that I'll deal with the stomach issues. Good luck to you if prescribed it and try the yogurt it helps. BTW, pepto will make you immediately puke if you try to take some while on bactrim. I dunno why, but from my personal experience it does, beware!"

Sick dude August 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "I had an incredibly bad reaction to Bactrim that led to Multiple Organ dysfunction / failure. I ended up in ICU for several days with liver and kidney failure that progressed into a pulmonary edema / A.R.D.S.. I came very close to dying after my kidneys shot down and my lungs filled with fluid. I have now been advised to never take another Sulfa based drug."

D.S. (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I have a very stubborn sinus infection. I have had 2 rounds of a z-pac, biaxin xl, Augmentin, and no success whatsoever. I'm currently on day 3 of Bactrim DS, and I'm also taking a probiotic, as well as a b complex vitamin with vit. c. in this short time, I am feeling so much better. No side effects at all, not one complaint. I am so happy to be on this, it's actually working for me!!!"

Jc the MA August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI i and after one dose I immediately developed a splitting headache followed later by weakness, body aches, chills, fever, slight nausea, cough and sore throat. I feel as if I have the flu. I suppose the medication did do what it was supposed to do because the UTI feels as if it's almost completely gone (I'm sure it isn't but at least it doesn't hurt). I will say I don't think the side effects are worth it. I'm in a lot of pain and discomfort and I think I'll be going to the emergency room just to be on the safe side."

Cassandra M August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "Had to have a Basel cell carcinoma removed from my neck. Followed Drs. orders. Lather with Vaseline and bandage etc. In three days the excision area along the stitches began to throb, turn red and feel warm. I had no fever, no oozing, no pain but soreness. Day 4 the area began to swell. Call doc and put me on antibiotic and said he could not take out stitches until the infection clears. Took a swab of area and said it was high growth MRSA keep taking antibiotic as prescribed. I decided to put tea tree oil on the excision and then bandage. So Glad I did, within 5 hrs the redness was light pink and started to form a scab. Day 7 on med all healing nicely not spreading and I continue with tea tree oil to hurry the healing."

BellaandRovey August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I take a daily oral chemo pill for leukemia that gives me muscle spasms, bone pain, and nausea that comes and goes. Unfortunately for me, there are only so many medications I can take that DON'T interact with my chemo pill. With that said I was prescribed this medication to take 2x a day for 10 days. I'm now on day 4, and have had constant pain in my arms and upper back, muscle spasms all over, so sleepy tired, nausea, and no appetite. I dread every single dose of this medication and I still have 6 days to go."

Miserably Medicated (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: "Was prescribed this drug about three years ago for an infection around the cuticle of my forefinger. It was prescribed by a PA, no doctor ever looked at it. I remember thinking "why such a powerful antibiotic for a small infection in my finger". I recently went in to the same office with an abcess in my rear end. This time a doctor looked at it, drained it, put me on doxycycline for 10 days that took care of the abcess. Later while on a follow up visit to have it repacked, the same girl who gave me Septra DS three years earlier let it slip that they usually just assume these things are MRSA. So they prescribe something they think will work while they wait for the lab results to come back. Three years earlier no mention of MRSA! Bad reaction"

Scooter the man (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was perscribed Bactrim for a UTI. Day one I thought I had the Flu. Day 2 I could barely walk. Joints hurt very bad ankles, knees, wrists and shoulders.I stopped taking this medication. Called the doctor to prescribe something else."

Hunter4580 (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have not ever suffered allergies to any meds except this one. My face got really red, itching, wheezing and bad headache. Went by doc office next day to see if this was an allergic reaction. Nurse asked if had fevers and said prob but had not checked. I had just drank some ibuprofen so when she checked it was slightly higher than normal. Nurse said if I could tolerate the medication to continue taking 5 day dosage. I felt so bad by the 4th day (lightheaded/ dizziness, facial numbness, extreme fatigue, depression, body aches, and my right side & back hurt alot). I skipped the 5th dose. I thought I would never feel better again. It took about 2 months to feel better. I found out I am allergic to sulfa meds. Did not clear UTI."

UTI Patient (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Got a pretty nasty UTI ... I've had them before so I knew the drill. Went to the Dr. The infection was confirmed. He prescribed Bactrim DS, twice a day for 7 days. I read the information provided by the pharmacist so I knew what to look for in case of a problem & took the first dose. I did have a few side effects, dizziness, mild nausea, and my blood sugar was off, but the infection felt better by the end of day 1. I can deal with mild side effects if it means fixing a larger problem. Pros & cons to everything! I would take it again if needed."

E.Oliver (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This is my first time commenting on any medicine. Anyways I almost didn't even take this medicine because all of the bad reviews but thank God I did!!! Please don't let these negative comments stop you from taking this medicine. The ONLY side effect I currently have is a bit of nausea and that's only because I do not eat much as I am on a calorie restricted diet. Maybe these people are having bad reactions because of an allergy to sulfa drugs or it is just the symptoms of the really bad UTI . IDK....I'm on these pills and have 1 more day left and it has brought my kidney pain down tremendously. I usually react badly to antibiotics but not these so thumbs up!"

Yoyo90 (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: "I am taking this for cellulitis. I have been on it for 5 days, and the swelling has gone down significantly, but the side effects are really crappy. I feel achey, hot, and I have a headache, and my joints hurt, but I'm not sure if this is also from having Lyme Disease in the past."

Lysh Lysh July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "Awful stuff, wretched stuff. If you suffer from Anxiety and depression this will magnify both by ten fold. Horrible palpitations of the heart, weird spiky fevers at random times, disoriented feeling while driving; it's just not a pleasant experience. Maybe I'm just allergic to sulfur or something but I can't stress enough-stay away from this stuff. There's plenty of other antibiotics that aren't this awful. I know my doctor had good intentions when prescribing me this garbage but I'm legitimately mad at him for putting me on this awful tripe."

LordMythologys90s July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "This medication has been so effective for me! It honestly worked wonders for my skin, though I do deal with dermatillomania. I haven't noticed any side effects and I highly recommend this for moderate acne."

Mcfallen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 16, 2017