User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Traveler's Diarrhea 1 reviews 72 medications

Prostatitis 17 reviews 48 medications

3.7
Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 612 reviews 6.0

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "Okay, so I had suffered with Acne ever since I hit puberty.. I was a 'pizza' face, so to say.. I had tried multiple things and thousands of dollars to try and get rid of my acne... Eventually though, I found out I had PCOS, so yay! Hormonal Acne. ._. Anywaaays, My dermatologist prescribed me Bactrim along with Spironolactone. Within a week, I had a completely clear face. No acne at all... But unfortunately, after 3-4 week I found out I I was apart of the unlucky few who ended up being allergic to it. So sad. If I could ever take it again, I would in a heart beat. But It has been about 6 months since I've been on Bactrim and I am still pretty much clear with very few breakouts."

Idkwhattonamemyself February 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Nightmare antibiotics!!!!!!!!!!Yes. It took care of uti.......Right away. But!!!!!!!!!I felt tumbling in my entire body, couldn't breath ,felt like I was dying, chocking, and overall felt dizzy as hell....No more!!!!!!!!Theres no way....Do not take it. Try anything else. This is killing product....Disgrace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Lyena February 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "Never had a whole lot of acne through high school until I jumped on steroids (deca/sustanon) I got moderate-severe cystic acne after about 6 weeks and had it for about 3-4 months and finally got put on bactrim DS. It did wonders went through 3 bottles and was back to normal I kept the 4th bottle for precautionary reasons no acne came back"

Kaleb13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI . Within minutes of taking my first dose I became extremely itchy and developed welts... I stopped taking it and it took two days for the itch to calm down. So apparently I'm allergic to it. Had to get a different drug called in which was CIPRO will not take that one do to bad side effects so now I'm on Macrobid. Will see how this goes."

Dreamspirit February 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: "I had a bacterial infection and feeling ill, and the doctor prescribed Bactrim. I didn't think it was helping as my illness took a turn for the worst. I had fever, chills, muscle weakness and pain, stomach pain, and I couldn't get out of bed. I'd start to feel better after a few hours and thought it was finally working. Nope. I took my next dose of Bactrim and all the symptoms came back full strength and I was severely ill again. I finally linked it to Bactrim and stopped taking it. My symptoms cleared up over the course of a few days. I learned my grandmother and mother have a severe sulfa allergy, and I found out the hard way I do too. Words just don't describe how sick I was on this medication."

Whitehusky3 (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was given Bactrim for a UTI in November 2016. On day 2 my entire lower half of my body became numb. And I mean all of it including the female parts. I was convinced I had MS, Lou Gehrig disease, or even piraformis nerve entrapment. I looked them all up and never in a million years thought it was related to the antibiotic, never even crossed my mind. Nothing made sense that was happening to me. I had to hold onto walls to walk and the nerve and numbness pain was unbelievable. I had no insurance so really never got checked out. When my mom randomly said her friend had a terrible reaction to this drug I started reading. I put it all together and all of my symptoms are because of this. It is now February and I have 80% of feeling back. But still not in female area or left foot but am hopeful I will continue to improve but takes a LONG time. This is the worst experience I have ever gone thru in my life. And, I HAD taken this drug before so you never know."

SusanBecameParalysis (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I don't normally write reviews about meds, but this time I am writing this review because of the terrible effect of this med. I had recurrent UTI and took this medicine as prescribed 2x a day. Right after the first pill taking up with full stomach, I felt dizzy, sleepless, chest felt heavy I feel hungry most of the time. Third day taking this antibiotic gives me chills, muscle joint pain, lower back pains, terrible headache and sleepless nights, I did not stop coz I feel that I can manage the effect and all I do is to eat & drink water. The UTI seems to be improving having less frequent urination. I went to see the Dr again coz, after the last pill still feeling the side effects. The Dr says need to give 4 days for the med wear off so Dr gave meds for bloatedness"

Romfrompeg February 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I used this and on the third day I was so bloated and my urine out put nearly stopped completely, My breathing was labored. I called doctor and they never got back to me so I cut dosage in half and I was still having symptoms. I went down to a quarter of what the dosage was called for and I am just getting my urine strength back. It was a feeling of like a stone blockage and no feeling or pressure in the urine out put. I was ready to go to an emergency room because I drinking so much and nothing was coming out."

LIman February 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Kidney Infections: "Bactrim was killing my stomach no matter how much food and water I took with it. I was in constant stomach pain. Had to change it the second day."

bellamia02 February 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "I broke out in blisters on face, scalp, and chest. These were oozing a clear sticky fluid that literally melted the skin it oozed over. Tried everything over the counter and homeopathic but this flesh eating infection would not clear. Finally went to urgent care and was prescribed Bactrim for an assumed MRSA skin infection. Within The first 24 hours I had noticeable improvement. Sores weren't burning red and swollen, by 3rd day some scabs are already falling off with healthy pink skin underneath, no ooze, no new blisters. Day 5 you would hardly know I had a skin problem. All clear. Only side effect I had was loss of appetite. Didn't want to eat, nothing sounded good. Lost 4 pounds. Not everyone reacts bad to Bactrim."

LizzyC. (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI. Everything was going well on day 1-2, on day 3, mid day, I began with chest tightness, noticed difference in my breathing. Felt as though the end of my lungs/rib area was extremely sore. It sent me to the ER as I was uncertain what could be causing it. CT scans, tests, and 3,000 out of pocket later, no results showed. Which I'm thankful! they eventually chalked it up to the medication. I immediately stopped it and went back to normal after a few days. Weird stuff! I gave it 5 out of 10 because although it was only three days, the bactrim cleared up whatever it was! Potent stuff"

AAbcdef123456 February 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "First and foremost I want to let you all know, reading things on the internet, WILL NOT help, nor really be a good indicator of your personal reaction to any drug. There are many negative reviews here for Bactrim, and I'm on day 3 of a 10 day dose for a staph infection (cellulitis) on, of all places the right side of my face/right ear (its wonderful!). Here's my experience: Side Effects: Fatigue, headaches (though not consistent). I have a weaker stomach, and its doing just fine with my probiotic (get one with 30billion strands) and drinking lots of water/eating while taking it. The infection is clearing up. Day 3 was when I really noticed. Don't be anxious when taking this, its definitely a mind over matter thing sometimes too."

Girl with a red ear February 6, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I would not recommend this to ANYONE. I have had bleeding in my urine for over two weeks and the doctors associated it with a UTI. After being given macrobid, and symptoms persisting they gave me septa. I took it for two days twice a day with food was fine, on the third day not so much. I began shaking uncontrollably, dry mouth, I was incoherent to the point I couldn't even understand what people were saying to me, heart was racing, I was dizzy, and extremely nauseous. It literally felt like I had been roofied (drugged up) . I don't even remember half the night and I had horrible insomnia. I don't even understand how this is on the market. Would never EVER take this again."

Confused and dazed February 3, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: "For a few days I had what I thought was a pimple in the opening of my right nostril. Finally I softened it with warm water and it popped. BIG MISTAKE! DONT DO IT! Within a day the right nostril was reddish purple and swollen, my cheek bones hurt, my upper gums were enflamed, even my teeth hurt. There were now 3 more in my nose. I went to urgent care and Dr said it was cellulitis/staph infection, put me on Bactrim (2x's a day/10days) and topical (Mupirocin 2%) that can be used in nose even though it says not for internal use: mouth, nose, ears. This is my 5th dose, btwn day 2&3. Still in a lot of pain but original "pimple" seems to have a brownish coloring possibly on the way to scabbing Definitely headache provoking, taking with Tylenol."

NYGOS1 (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: "First time I got MRSA it started as a small pimple under my arm and quickly became a massive abscess over night. I went to the ER and doctor told me it was MRSA and prescribed me 10 days worth of bactrim. With in four days the infection stopped and the wound started to heal. It was completely healed before then ten days but I took all the bactrim as directed by the doctor. Then about 7 days ago I noticed a large pimple and got it checked it and it was MRSA again but my whole leg was swollen. They lanced it and gave me another ten days of bactrim. I'm about five days in and the swelling has resided and the pain is much less. No side effects other then a constant headache and abdominal cramps. Seems to work good for MRSA and staph infection"

Storm kennedy January 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: "I was diagnosed with a sinus infection and prescribed Septa. Instructions stated to take the medication for 14 days. On the 12th day, I noticed a rash on my ankle. By that evening I was running fever. At 3:30 am I woke up with blood on my face - my lips had swollen so much that they had split. My eyes, feet, hands, gums and roof of my mouth were also swollen. My temperature went to 105 and I was hospitalized. The diagnosis was that I am allergic to sulfa drugs. I was in hospital for a week and it took me over six weeks before I was near normal."

Shian (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "I have been taking Bactrim DS for an infection in my toe from a pedicure. It's been 4 days of not feeling human. I'm terribly exhausted. It feels like trying to stay awake after taking NyQuil. After day 2 I started getting bad headaches. I'm only on it for seven days so I'm going to suffer through it but the side effects are almost unbearable."

Terrible Side Effects (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "On day five of a 10 day course I noticed a rash on my face. Over the next 12 hours it would cover my entire body. It didn't itch it burned!! Doc said benadryl wouldn't help so I needed a steroid shot. I was also very dizzy and tired on this medication. If you have never taken Bactrim and aren't sure if you are allergic to sulfa drugs, I would just take something else."

SunnyintheD (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: "I was prescribed this medication for ten days after two recent bouts with a sinus infection that never seemed to clear. This did the trick. I was thirsty and somewhat restless but had none of the major possible side effects that the doctor warned me about."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Kidney Infections: "I got sick the day after Christmas. Thought i was just having nausea, but it progressed to a very painful tummy and back so I went to the er with my husband a few days later. I had a kidney infection, so they put me on the generic for bactrim for 10 days. I felt no different till a few days in, and that's when I got some relief but also side effects such as persistant and constant nausea, and headaches. Wasn't too bad. Then I felt excited on my last day because I truly felt better (minus stomach cramps that I didn't think were serious at the time). But then less than 24 hours later I started feeling bad again with my back and tummy, so we went to the ER and they put me on the generic for macrobid. This is day one of that. We'll see how it g"

marielove91 (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "This is my second time taking this medication, both times it was prescribed for a alleged spider bite. The first time I took it I stopped before finishing because the side effects were terrible. I experienced headache, dizziness, flu symptoms and flushing. The second time I took it had the same experience so I drank 2 liters of water and symptoms subsided tremendously. This a double antibiotic so it is imperative that you drink a very large amount of water when taking it otherwise the medication is concentrated in your system and the side affects will be unbearable."

GeaneaNicole January 10, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Kidney Infections: "I took Bactrim for a kidney and bladder infection. I used to not have any issues with the medication but now for some reason it makes me so sleepy I'm sleeping 90% of the time on it. I refuse to take it an more because I need to be able to function and with this med for some reason now I can't function right."

Mashi5923 (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Sinusitis: "My first time on this medication, so far I'm not impressed. I'm on day 3 right now for a sinus infection and I still feel basically the same as I did the day I went in to see the dr, only my throat is incredibly MORE sore and I'm coughing when I wasn't before. Having trouble sleeping and I have no appetite. Hopefully I will see some improvement in the next day or two."

LedZepfan01 January 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Kidney Infections: "I have been taking a 10 day prescription of this for 6 and 1/2 days now. It was for my kidney infection. I hadn't noticed much relief till day 4, but its been good since then. I have nausea and headaches and a little joint pain, but would so much rather that than the infection. Only reason I'm not giving it 10 stars is because I am a bit scared that my infection might come back after using it, but I know its probably not likely."

k1991 (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Sulfatrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This antibiotic worked quickly to clear up UTI. However, I had extreme gas and constant headache. Severe chest pain so bad that I went to ER thinking I was having a heart attack. Would not take again."

Raken (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017