User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Traveler's Diarrhea 1 reviews 73 medications

Prostatitis 17 reviews 48 medications

3.7
Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 639 reviews 6.0

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I don't know what is it with all these users reporting ineffectiveness or side effects. Maybe mostly people who have complaints are the ones who take the trouble to write reviews. I had a UTI, and a few hours after taking the first pill of Bactrim my symptoms started to clear. On my third pill now and no side effects and starting to feel better than I have in weeks."

DABbio (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Was prescribed this for UTI, after only 2 doses all my UTI symptoms were gone BUT I had a bad sore throat, nausea 24/7, and back pain. I went to the doctor twice and they just told me to keep taking it but i kept feeling worse. Stopped taking it on my own. Hated every second of being on this antibiotic, never again."

student12365 April 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Got this for a UTi. Literally took 2 pills so far and I'm already planning to stop taking it. It's 2:30am and I cannot fall asleep but I am so tired, I am shaking uncontrollably and am having extreme anxiety along with nausea. Helped with the symptoms of my UTI so far but not worth the side effects."

L9364 April 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: "I have been taking Bactrim for a total of 3 days. I have awful headaches, the shakes, spiky fevers, tightness in my chest, and can barely keep my eyes open from exhaustion. I have 7 days left of treatment and I'm not sure I'm going to finish it. I feel worse with the medication than I did with the infection. Granted, it has reduced swelling and pain at infection site. So I guess it's doing one thing right."

S Smith April 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "I'm on my fourth 800/160 pill of bactrim treating MRSA infection which has also caused my lymph nodes behind knee and groin to swell and hurt. I initially took doxycycline for about 4 days with worsening infection. Bactrim worked day 1. The infection started to clear and lymph swelling and pain is going away. Unfortunately I had severe anxiety including shaking tightness in chest very dizzy and feelings of doom. It's possible this was brought on by me overreacting to a slight side effect but this is a very strong antibiotic. It works but you might have to suffer through it. Not fun"

Mr. Dean (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Doctor prescribed medicine for UTI twice a day for 10 days. First day no side effects, second same. We all have different bodies and our bodies react different. You can't speak for all of us. My UTI is gone and I feel perfect."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "The headache and nausea from this medication is absolutely horrible. I have never in my life taken a medication that actually makes me feel worse than the reason I'm taking. This should be taken off the market! 2x a day for 7 days. I have only taken 2."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Never take this for an UTI. I've been having recurrent UTI's every month on my period. I usually take an over the counter drug called Uricalm (works wonders) but this recent time the pain was really bad. After going to the doctor listing my symptoms of an UTI, they gave me this drug for 3 days. First day I felt a tad nauseous with chills and hot and cold flashes. Second day I feel so sick to my stomach, and extreme loss of appetite. I'm not finishing these two pills I have left, they make it worse than it already is. If I could rate lower, I would"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Very annoying side effect for me was the constant air bubbles stuck in my throat. Bad taste and tastebuds are effected....felt like mouth and throat were slightly numb and felt as if I had a thick film in mouth/throat. Constantly felt like I had to swallow."

Cdcd April 1, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "Was gardening, got splinter while planting in side 3rd joint of right middle finger. 4 days later area is warm, tinder, and with a slightly swollen reaction and tightness up to the middle knuckle. Was given Sulfameth/tmp 800/160 twice daily for 10 days. 1st day after, swelling has stopped progressing. At day 4, all swelling, tenderness, and warmth are localized to just around the cuticles and the flesh of the finger tip. Looks to be receding. Unsure if there is pus or just swelling. Saying hydrated with warm soaks. I want to avoid abscess if it is pus. Once I get an abscess, I'll be using a small gauge needle or go to the Urgent Care to have them drain it. I have not had complications, no allergies, stomach, or headaches."

NotAlergic (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: "I've been plagued with UTI's my entire adult life and Bactrim was my go to drug. I got a sinus infection 2 weeks ago and Dr said take Bactrim. My tongue swelled up and sores developed on it, that was AWFUL! I've never had any reaction before. I'm really disappointed because it's always been my go to."

Cyneburh March 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "The first dose I took of this antibiotics my stomach was hurting real bad so on the second dose I also took a probiotic. I had no pain so I took one every time until I was finish and had no problems."

KayKay89 (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "The ONLY side effect I had from this medicine so far is very slight fatigue right after I take it. Had a pretty bad UTI, took the first dose ( 2 a day every 12 hours) and within a short amount of time there was no more burning, fullness feeling, or pain. I take this for 10 days and I am on day 7. And no dizziness, nausea, vomiting or anything. Don't be afraid to take this medicine BUT! EAT BEFORE YOU TAKE IT!! Like a full meal! I think many people aren't doing this and you should."

Brit431 March 21, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Hello I'm making you aware that this medication can have serious consequences on peoples health. I nearly died from a allergic reaction which caused excruciating pain in my arms causing me to collapse.I am still in hospital after 3 days being stabilised from the reaction."

Zoep March 20, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was throwing up from this medication, had upset stomach, craziest headache, having chills and difficulty breathing."

KateNY9 March 17, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed this med 5 day dose, 2 pills per day. Well after my third pill I stopped taking them because I've been in SO much pain! I truly don't think I've ever had such bad stomach aches in my life. I plan to drink a ton of cranberry juice to get ride of this UTI. Honestly, I'd rather have a UTI than take these antibiotics ever again. Don't use this antibiotic!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I wish I had read all this information posted on this website before I began taking Sulfa. Had I known about these side effects I would not have taken it. Like many others on this site, this medication landed me in the ER. I was absolutely not able to urinate. My bladder kept filling up but no matter how hard I tied, I could not go. I was prescribed Sulfa for a UTI and given 10 pills to take twice daily. I started the pills on a Friday night, by Sunday night I was in the ER. The absolute worst drug reaction I have ever had. I would rather deal with a UTI than take this medication again."

Cat N Mause (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I started trimethoprim just over a week ago and at first I felt sick and headachy so I made sure I had the tablets with food and it was fine. I noticed a huge difference in my skin in only just over a week and I thought this drug was working wonders after trying EVERYTHING else(this Was my last resort before Accutane) sadly I broke out in an awful red skin rash 2 days ago which has gotten worse and worse, even though I am no longer taking the tablet. It's a shame because it was working wonders for me! I would have definitely continued had I not got a reaction to it."

Chelsea Ann March 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Kidney Infections: "I had a UTI that went into a kidney infection, They put me on Bactrim, Didn't notice any side effects until a few days later, I started feeling depressed out of no where and it got worse from there, I ended up in the hospital with the worst headache of my life, I was shaking and throwing up I didn't even think it had anything to do with the Bactrim. The depression got so bad I ended up at the psychiatric hospital, I had no idea why I was feeling like this, it was by far the worst feeling in the world, When I came home and went to see my therapist and told her what was going on she immediately asked me what medicine they put me on and when I told her she said look up the side effects to that and sure enough everything was listed."

Arey March 8, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: "I have had a severe reaction to Bactrim multiple times and only just recently put it together. According to my doctor, Bactrim has a super rare side effect in which it can cause drug-induced meningitis. I was prescribed Bactrim last month for a sinus infection and after a single dose was extremely ill and ended up hospitalized with viral meningitis. My intracranial pressure that was read with the spinal tap was 62 and normal readings are under 20. This was the third time I have taken Bactrim and the reactions increased in severity with each incident."

Shell1010 March 8, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "My review is like everyone else's. I've had bad acne for years, this worked really well in clearing it up. I've been on it for a little more than a year. For the first ~7 months it was fine but it's becoming less and less effective. My acne is getting bad again and I'm very consistent at taking my medication. Although once or twice I wasn't able to pick up my prescription on time and each time I broke out so badly. So I know once I stop it'll all come back. I haven't had any noticeable negative side effects but I don't like that I was/have been on such a powerful antibiotic for so long. I would give it a try if recommended, by your physician it may work better in the long run for others."

MaggieDee March 6, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: "I was recently prescribed Bactrim DS for my chronic sinusitis by my ENT. I informed her that I had been prescribed Bactrim in the past, although I did not inform her that it was lesser strength of the two and after eight and a half days of taking two a day I finally had to stop due to the side effects that were occurring. I took the first dosage and felt fatigued and slightly itchy. I reminded myself tho that when I am overtired and restless that I tend to feel itchy so I took a shower and and slept for a while and I was fine. The following few days I had no problems besides light bloating and fatigue. I kept taking my medication as prescribed and after the fifth day I was having radiating pain around the left and right side of my sternum"

jpxj86 (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Prescribed generic Bactrim DS, 2x/day for 3 days. Just took my last dose and minimal side effects. I always ate a big substantial meal before taking this medication even though I had loss of appetite (ate food that had tons of starch). Also, drank tons of water after and throughout the day. I was constantly peeing but at least I knew I was drinking enough. Had minor upset stomach and fatigue but still very functional esp when the pain from UTI was gone. Took a day and half to feel relief."

Urmoot (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I just got sick from now this medication is never going to work for me I took at 3pm and I just got sick at almost 12 am not even sure if the medication passed through my system"

Leila H March 2, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm only on my second day of this medication but I feel it is never going to work. I still have mild symptoms and a headache. I'll be heading back to the ER if I don't feel better."

Shalonn B March 2, 2017