User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Traveler's Diarrhea 1 reviews 73 medications

Prostatitis 18 reviews 48 medications

3.6
Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 652 reviews 6.0

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took this drug for three days 2X a day. I have had a horrible experience with this drug. I have had UTI's before and I have never received this one. It gives me the WORST headaches and stomach pain. My body also started to ache real bad. I also cannot sleep at night. I received a yeast infection a couple days in too :( I stopped taking it yesterday and today I still have the headache and my body still aches a lot, my stomach feels a little better but sometimes it still has some pain. All of these comments have have been reading are so true. This drug needs to go!"

efffdrugs May 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was taking 2 tablets twice a day. I stopped because I realised this prolonged, dull heavy headache was caused by this. It was lasting days, I don't really get headaches and thought it was something separate. It's now Tuesday and I stopped them on Thursday after a week and a half. Still got the headache (which is really bad and no signs of going) , heavy head, light headedness and bad stomach. I've noticed dehydration symptoms too. Stay away from this it's really bad."

Simbobsimon (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "It caused colitis when taking his medication. My doctor wanted me to take it for 1 year, but I plan to stop taking it."

Janie02 May 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "I was put on Bactrim DS twice a day for about 6 weeks. This was after being on doxycycline for about 4 months with disappointing results. My acne was cystic and mainly distributed across my back, neck, shoulders, and chest. This outbreak of acne started some time after I stopped hormonal oral BC and switched to Paragard. It also coincided with the start of treatment with lithium for bipolar disorder. The latter can exacerbate acne in those that are susceptible. Despite quitting it, the disaster continued. My derm put me on Bactrim DS twice a day for 6 weeks and to my amazement - this finally did the trick. My skin completely cleared! Highly recommended. No side effects but I took a probiotic with it. My skin has stayed mostly clear since."

sushi2701 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "I was prescribed this for a Staph infection of the Skin. The first few days I was very fatigued and had mild neck pain then on Day 7 of 10 that it was prescribed for I started breaking out in a rash on one thigh and then it spread throughout the day and was on my chest and arms by the night. I was also freezing! I took 2 benadryl that night then woke up the next morning and the rash all over from my neck all the way down to my ankles, front and back and was cold all day! I went to urgent care and ended up getting a steroid injection at urgent care then had to take a high dose Prednisone for 3 days after that. After Steroids were started I noticed that the joint pain went away and I also was swelled from the rash."

HEE (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Prostatitis: "I took one pill of a two week prescription and immediately had a splitting headache. Six hours later I had difficulty breathing. Body aches and joint pain also kicked in. Two days later I am finally starting to feel better, but my right knee still hurts. This drug is (almost) banned in the U.K. And should be looked at by the FDA. You need to know if you are allergic to the sulfa class of drugs before even thinking about taking this drug."

Sidecar (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "This antibiotic is a miracle drug I had MRSA and didn't realize it for the longest time. Me and my fiance kept getting boils back and forth (huge boils) in fact this medicine completely cleared it up thank God!!!!!=) I would definitely recommend this to anyone it also cleared up any pimples I had on my shoulders and forehead......."

J Lo (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "After taking the 2nd dose, I began having a very bad burning feeling in my stomach. Then my back muscles hurt. The was no getting comfortable. I also could only urinate once in 10 hours when I had been going about every 2 hours prior. About 10 hours after I took that dose, I finally and unexpectedly vomited. I fell asleep for a few hours and when I woke, my backache was gone and I wasn't doubled over in pain from my stomach. I immediately decided that I wasn't even going to try another dose and called to be put on something different. It's now been 5 days since I took this medicine and my stomach still feels like it has a hole eaten through it."

Karna1962 May 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I am on my last day of taking this (7 days total). It has taken care of my UTI completely. The only thing that has been happening at the same time is that I can't fall asleep until around 3am every night. I don't know if that is because of this medication or just an issue with my brain not shutting off. I was on my computer trying to find out if sleeplessness is a side affect and ran across these reviews. Anyway, the drug itself has been fine for me. It did what it was supposed to do, cure my UTI. If sleeplessness is a side affect, then I will start getting sleep again. No biggie. :) I also took this same antibiotic last year for a UTI and it cured it fine with no side affects at all."

Robbie 12345 May 5, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have been taking this pill for a UTI and it has made me super out of it due to lack of sleep and sleeping all day. I also usually get very nauseated after my food digests in my stomach. It did clear up my symptoms and I've taken it for five days now, thankfully thats all I had to take. Apparently the meds they prescribed first weren't "strong enough" to kill the bacteria which in itself sounded horrifying, but they assured me that this one will do the trick and it still was only a UTI. The only thing I've had the worst of is probably the nausea when I take it."

Unspecified May 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Prostate UTI asked not to be given Cipro as it can cause permanent tendon damage if you are doing repetitive movements. See CBC news article. They gave bactrim. It's a poor substitute. Dizzy, tired, dry eyes, damn slow working. On day 4 of 7 not much better. Cipro is the one of choice for prostate in my experience to work well but it has it's side effects too."

Marduk (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "I was recently exposed to MRSA. (hazards of my job) Few days later, I woke up to my right eye swollen shut and oozing yellow pus. Whites of eye was red. I immediately went to Urgent Care. They squeezed out a sample from my eyeball to send to the lab. In the meantime, they expressed concern that it was either MRSA or a really bad case of pink eye. I am being treated for both right now. The medication proved to be a miracle - its killing the infection in my eye. Swelling went down, minimal pus coming out as of this morning, red is now pink - just over 24 hrs after starting the medication. I have had no side affects from the medication."

Mel1974 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Was prescribed this for a UTI. Only took 2 pills, one in afternoon and one in the night before bed. Woke up the next morning and couldn't balance at all and had a strange headache right in the middle of my forehead. Didn't take any more pills (thank goodness). It has been 4 days now and the side effects still are persisting. Judging by the other people here, it won't be long before there is a class action lawsuit. I am beyond pissed and wish I would have read this before. Will never make the same mistake again. I have taken antibiotics before for UTIs and have never had any problems, so I didn't think twice this time."

Patri001 April 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I don't know what is it with all these users reporting ineffectiveness or side effects. Maybe mostly people who have complaints are the ones who take the trouble to write reviews. I had a UTI, and a few hours after taking the first pill of Bactrim my symptoms started to clear. On my third pill now and no side effects and starting to feel better than I have in weeks."

DABbio (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Was prescribed this for UTI, after only 2 doses all my UTI symptoms were gone BUT I had a bad sore throat, nausea 24/7, and back pain. I went to the doctor twice and they just told me to keep taking it but i kept feeling worse. Stopped taking it on my own. Hated every second of being on this antibiotic, never again."

student12365 April 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Got this for a UTi. Literally took 2 pills so far and I'm already planning to stop taking it. It's 2:30am and I cannot fall asleep but I am so tired, I am shaking uncontrollably and am having extreme anxiety along with nausea. Helped with the symptoms of my UTI so far but not worth the side effects."

L9364 April 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: "I have been taking Bactrim for a total of 3 days. I have awful headaches, the shakes, spiky fevers, tightness in my chest, and can barely keep my eyes open from exhaustion. I have 7 days left of treatment and I'm not sure I'm going to finish it. I feel worse with the medication than I did with the infection. Granted, it has reduced swelling and pain at infection site. So I guess it's doing one thing right."

S Smith April 12, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "I'm on my fourth 800/160 pill of bactrim treating MRSA infection which has also caused my lymph nodes behind knee and groin to swell and hurt. I initially took doxycycline for about 4 days with worsening infection. Bactrim worked day 1. The infection started to clear and lymph swelling and pain is going away. Unfortunately I had severe anxiety including shaking tightness in chest very dizzy and feelings of doom. It's possible this was brought on by me overreacting to a slight side effect but this is a very strong antibiotic. It works but you might have to suffer through it. Not fun"

Mr. Dean (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Doctor prescribed medicine for UTI twice a day for 10 days. First day no side effects, second same. We all have different bodies and our bodies react different. You can't speak for all of us. My UTI is gone and I feel perfect."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "The headache and nausea from this medication is absolutely horrible. I have never in my life taken a medication that actually makes me feel worse than the reason I'm taking. This should be taken off the market! 2x a day for 7 days. I have only taken 2."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Never take this for an UTI. I've been having recurrent UTI's every month on my period. I usually take an over the counter drug called Uricalm (works wonders) but this recent time the pain was really bad. After going to the doctor listing my symptoms of an UTI, they gave me this drug for 3 days. First day I felt a tad nauseous with chills and hot and cold flashes. Second day I feel so sick to my stomach, and extreme loss of appetite. I'm not finishing these two pills I have left, they make it worse than it already is. If I could rate lower, I would"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Very annoying side effect for me was the constant air bubbles stuck in my throat. Bad taste and tastebuds are effected....felt like mouth and throat were slightly numb and felt as if I had a thick film in mouth/throat. Constantly felt like I had to swallow."

Cdcd April 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "Was gardening, got splinter while planting in side 3rd joint of right middle finger. 4 days later area is warm, tinder, and with a slightly swollen reaction and tightness up to the middle knuckle. Was given Sulfameth/tmp 800/160 twice daily for 10 days. 1st day after, swelling has stopped progressing. At day 4, all swelling, tenderness, and warmth are localized to just around the cuticles and the flesh of the finger tip. Looks to be receding. Unsure if there is pus or just swelling. Saying hydrated with warm soaks. I want to avoid abscess if it is pus. Once I get an abscess, I'll be using a small gauge needle or go to the Urgent Care to have them drain it. I have not had complications, no allergies, stomach, or headaches."

NotAlergic (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: "I've been plagued with UTI's my entire adult life and Bactrim was my go to drug. I got a sinus infection 2 weeks ago and Dr said take Bactrim. My tongue swelled up and sores developed on it, that was AWFUL! I've never had any reaction before. I'm really disappointed because it's always been my go to."

Cyneburh March 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "The first dose I took of this antibiotics my stomach was hurting real bad so on the second dose I also took a probiotic. I had no pain so I took one every time until I was finish and had no problems."

KayKay89 (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2017