User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, Sulfatrim Pediatric, Uroplus, Uroplus DS …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Traveler's Diarrhea

Prostatitis
3.8

Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 5.9 741 reviews

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "It's the first time I take Bactrim since my mom is usually taking it to cure her UTI. I don't have any prescription regarding my UTI so I tried it since it was recommended by my mom. As far as I know, I don't have allergies with medicine. After 2 hours of taking it, I woke up feeling itchy and my face was swollen. I wont take this med ever again even it cures UTI.."

Mjulnir November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Loved it! It did its job. On it for 10 days. This drug has been around a long time - Nurses use it all the time for "older" patients. You MUST take it properly with a disciplined regimen. 1) Take some multi-strain probiotics to add back in more good fighter bacteria. 2) Strains should include yeast to prevent yeast infection. 3) Flush (drown) your system with water - shoot for 12 8oz glasses a day. Add lemon to some of the water for kidney health. 4) Take psylliym fiber, prune juice when necessary. Your gut will be very unbalanced while the army of good and army of bad are fighting and you won't know how many "soldiers" you have on each side at any given time."

Zoe1018 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Was given this after going to dr. 1st dose felt nauseous, chills, hot flashes, stomach pain, migraine in center of head that wont go away. Was able to nap a few hrs. 2nd does same symptoms plus no longer able to sleep aniexty, can't focus, sweats, buzzing in my head, no appetite, funny taste in my mouth, muscles hurt, feel sick, thirsty. 3rd thru 6th doses no changes in side effects but these also occured tongue swollen, don't feel like myself, seeing flashing lights when I close my eyes, fever, runny nose, stiff neck, confusion, vertigo. The original problem went away but come back around the time for each dose. Masks the initial problem. Don't know if it's working. Feel like I'm dying."

AF1208136 November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: "Severe head feeling hot. Felt like head was swelling. Severe swelling of the face. Extreme itching in hands and feet. Confusion. Only took one tablet."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Prostatitis: "Prescibed Bactrim for prostatitis. Was showing good improvement after 5 days. Day 9, big full body hives develop and had to stop. Dr. thought I was allergic to the sulfa component of bactrim so he prescibed Trimethoprim(the other component in Bactrim) by itself a week later. After 1 pill the hives start again... Was switched to Cipro with slight improvement and then to Doxycycline which is significantly helping after 4 weeks. Going to continue it as long as I'm improving . 70% better now."

richard Manford November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "The worst antibiotic ever.... I have had headaches ever since I started taking it and now on day 7 I have a all over body rash. Went to the doctor and told stop taking it immediately as I'm allergic to it. Never again"

Amy1221 November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was on 3 different antibiotics none helped to rid the UTI. I was then given bactrim, my second dose I felt so bad I felt like going to the ER. My head hurt day and night, I was nauseous just couldn’t function. I called the doctor, he told me to continue taking it, it is a strong medication. He said if I couldn’t take the pills he would have to give it with an IV antibiotics. I am being told I have this UTI and it is so bad that’s what I have to take. I have no symptoms of a UTI."

Hogput November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "When I was 15 I learned that I was allergic to Bactrim. 11 years later the Doctor prescribed me with this medication stating that our allergies change. I was nervous to take this medicine, but I was so sick with an ear infection that I decided to give it a try. The worst experience in my life. I only took two pills one in the morning and one before bed. I was up from 12 Am- 6 Am non-stop puking. I could not hold anything down. At first I thought I had the flu as every bone in my body was in pain... After a few hours of sleep and not taking this Rx I then realized I am still extremely allergic to this medication. I would never want someone to go through what I went through. I have not taken this medication since yesterday and I have not puked."

KirstiePaige November 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I used to get UTIs every month or two until I finally started my daily dose of Raw Organic Apple Cider vinegar with “mother” mixed with honey water. It has been the only thing that has helped. I am now on my 8th month of no UTIs! It really surprised me as I’m not big into homeopathic remedies."

Frequent uTI er October 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Worse medication ever. Don’t recommend this to no one: Had nose bleeds. Was cured from my bipolar and start haven’t full blown panic attack repeatedly, weird feelings. Bladder infection got worse. Got back and muscle aches. Need to take it off the market. Need to be banned in the USA "

Bboafo October 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "I just started taking it on Saturday and wondering how long before this kicks in. I am having hot & cold flashes and sweating like I was walking around with the hose on my head. I repierced my ear and it got infected. really bad. On Friday morning at 3:30 I had got up to the worst pain in me ear & head into my jaw I took the ear ring out. Then I went to medi quick my ear is red hot swollen and now oozing ... but I was wondering how long before it starts to work ? At the age of 53. I am going back to school to better myself I could not go today UGH"

Brwnidangel64 (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I strongly advise against taking this drug. Many people do not know that this drug has been banned in the UK due to the amount of people that died from it or contracted Steven Johnson Syndrome, which is characterized by your skin falling off. I was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI. Clearly, there were a lot of other options to prescribe a small, 100 pound girl with a minor infection. However, the doctor chose this drug. I took 3 pills out of the 14 that I was given and I had such a severe migraine that I could not open my eyes or chew food. The pain eventually went into my neck and that is when I stated to panic - called doc and was told I had an allergic reaction and stopped taking it immediately."

DaniM October 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have no real allergies, and I am not allergic sulfur/sulfa. I had a UTI (strep) after passing kidney stones. I drink lots of water with lemon juice in it normally. I took sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim twice daily for 5 days, with a pop-tarts. No problems, UTI completely cleared up."

Jimman (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have been taking this medication for 4 days now it has me itching non stop, shortness of breath, really also bad gas. This has been the worse experience ever having a whole body itch is horrible. Maybe I'm allergic to it? This pill needs to be recalled."

Miss. Adams (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: "This worked fine. I have no side effects. The people above seem to have an allergic reaction to this medication. Obviously stop taking it. You don't need a Dr to tell you that."

Paulnuts (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "First time prescribed Bactrim for mild UTI. Second day I had flu like symptoms. After day 4 I was feeling so poorly I went to ER where I was told just flu and to rest and to finish Bactrim so it will clear up UTI. Day 5 fever of 105, rushed to hospital where I passed out. Completely dehydrated and organs where showing signs of sepsis. I was in ICU unit for 3 days. The diagnosis was “allergy to sulfa”. However, that’s not really an allergic response. I think it causes the body to dehydrate faster than normal, and my actual problem was intense dehydration. Bactrim was banned in UK after a number people died. I’ll never take it again."

Anti Bactrim October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Don't let the bad reviews scare you from taking this drug! I was TERRIFIED of taking it because of all the horrible side effects it came with, but I thought I'd rather suffer temporarily than have my UTI turn into a kidney infection. My doctor prescribed me to take it for 3 days and the only side effect I experienced was fatigue, though it could have just been the lack of sleep I was getting. Other than that I was fine! My UTI symptoms disappeared within hours of the first dose. If you drink lots of water, take it on a full stomach, and watch what you eat, you'll be golden."

anna_13 (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "After reading all the reviews on this drug, I was extremely scared to take it. I was to take it for 3 days. Within hours of the 1st pill, my UTI symptoms diminished significantly. I felt about 90% better! The only side effects I experienced were fatigue and a little bit of chills, but that was it. I always took this on a full stomach with lots of water. I think what helped me the most was watching what I ate. I cut off all sugar, caffeine, sweeteners, etc. and ate a lot of regular oatmeal and greek yogurt. I just finished my pills, so I'll be going back to the doctor to get tested to see if I'm in the clear. So far I'm feeling pretty confident about it. Fingers crossed!"

anna_27 (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Horrible drug ! I had a migraine for the full three course time I was suppose to take it. I tried ibuprofen 800mg and that didn't seem to help enough . I kept having to take another to kill the pain. Seriously yeah it may get rid of your infection but avoid this drug. Also, I ate bread with a yogurt and my stomach still burned like hell. It felt like there was a ulcer or something . Never taking this again!!!!!!!!!"

ladayblues October 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Didn’t treat my UTI and the medication was taken as prescribed with plenty of fluids. Turned into a kidney infection. BACTRIM doesn't work"

It didn’t work (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Everyone reacts to drugs in different ways however I will never again take bactrim. I started feeling tired and got a bad headache the second day after taking it. That same night was even worse... I felt nauseous, my head hurt even worse, and all I could do was cry. I felt like I wasn't even in my own body. The medicine definitely messed with my head. It was the worst feeling ever. Now I know to never take bactrim or any other sulfur drugs!"

Va0001 October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Kidney Infections: "I had many negative side effects. Back pain, dizzy, puking, sore mouth. It didn’t work for me"

Rande (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I got a UTI a month ago. I went to a clinic and they prescribed Macrobid and it did little to nothing for my UTI. I then went to my uni campus clinic and they prescribed the same thing (I didn’t know they were the same thing at the time because this time it was the generic version so it had a different name) and again it did nothing. I was so frustrated and in so much pain so finally I went back for a 3rd time and they prescribed me Bactrim and within a couple hours I already felt SO much better. The bactrim did more in a few hours than the Macrobid did in 2 weeks. I did get mild nausea and some fatigue but that’s it. Take it with food and yogurt to prevent this!"

Holly777777 October 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was a little worried after reading the reviews... and on top of that my mom had a really bad reaction (fever, horrible chills, etc.). I was a little queasy the first few dose, but it wasn't even enough to keep me from eating. After that I had no side effects at all. Overall my experience was great!"

Liz28 (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Quick reduction of symptoms"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017