User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, Sulfatrim Pediatric, Uroplus, Uroplus DS …show all brand names

Shigellosis

Diverticulitis
3.3

Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 5.5 881 reviews

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have never had such a bad experience taking medicine — within the first time taking it 2 hours later I was having shakiness, rapid heart rate, tight chest, my heart rate would drop weirdly low, headaches and weakness. I thought maybe it was in my head, so continued to take it. On the second day same thing happened but with more severe chest tightness— everyone reacts differently but if you have those side effects do yourself a favor & stop taking the medicine! The doctors will always switch you to something better suited"

lynnd (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2018

For Acne: "I was on 600mg a day which was meant to be for 3 months for my acne!....On the 9th day I had come up in a mild rash on my arm in the morning.And then throughout the day my face looked like a tomato.The following day I was completely covered in a rash all over my body!....I went to a hospital and I was told I had an allergic reaction to this drug and to stop using it.I have to now take steroids for 3 days and hopefully my skin will go back to normal. I won’t be taking this again..Plus the added extras of having a headache and nausea also.Just a big NO!"

Lolol (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "I’ve been using this for 5 days and by the 5th day I was having severe itchiness. I literally can’t sleep cause I’m so itchy. So I stopped taking it. But now my throat is sore and I’m still itchy!"

Qtpie2flii (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2018

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "I was prescribed Bactrim after having an abscess on my leg drained. I started feeling horrible immediately. Joint pain, nausea, loss of appetite, high fevers. I ended up in the hospital for 3 days for drug fever, and am still feeling the effects a week after coming home. I would not suggest taking this."

Lisa (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2018

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I just took one 160mg tab of bactrim. This is the worse pill in history. I got a rash, headache, neck and back pain. Sore throat, bad. My whole body muscles and joint are in so much pain. Nausea. My husband has to get me food, put me in the tub to take a hot bath. I feel so weak OMG. Fever of 101.5. which goes up and down still. Chills and lightheaded. The next day I still has those symptoms. Gonna call my doc on Monday to give me a different pill. If there was a 0 rating that's what I would give. Thought I was gonna die."

Sun (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I’ve had one other UTI in the past and was prescribed another antibiotic. For my most recent UTI I was prescribed sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim, and my experience for the first 3 days was an absolute nightmare. The first night, I had eaten a lot of food before taking the pill & vomited all through the night. The second day, I still had uncomfortable feelings as though my UTI was still untreated. I couldn’t pee, I couldn’t focus while using this pill, I also had bad anxiety & depression. This went on for 3 days constantly as I was crying, unable to sleep, in very bad pain and was taking multiple different pain killers and using sleep pills at night just so I could close my eyes. I don’t recommend using this pill for your UTI. I’ve had a better antibiotic in the past, however this pill did clear everything up in the end. However, the pain was unbearable."

Meaghanres (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2018

For Acne: "I started breaking out getting cystic acne when I started high school in 9th grade (age 13) but around the end of 10th grade is when my face completely broke out started taking the normal antibiotics like everyone else does for acne yet nothing worked till I went on Accutane for 5 months. It cleared up for about a year or less and then started getting minor breaks outs again so started using topical cream that fixed it then few months later cystic acne came back horribly worse the dermatologist even got scared or shocked when he saw me. I told him I didn't want to go on Accutane because of the side affects so I went on bactrim for 2 years when I was 17 which cleared me up to almost no break outs during whole time on bactrim. I'm 19 now and bactrim slowly stop working completely so I went to a new dermatologist and I am taking Accutane with bactrim now so we will see how it goes."

Acneman August 11, 2018

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "Never had acne especially in high school I had the clearest skin. I started college and work, and TBH I was very depressed. I got acne on my chin, then slowly on my jawline, and all over my face, I tried everything, nothing seems to work. I really wanted to go on Accutane because my self-esteem and confidence were gone. I was ready to do anything to get rid of my acne. I went and visited a dermatologist, he prescribed me Bactrim with spironolactone. The first two weeks I would say I kinda got a breakout but then after like four weeks my skin was clear, acne free. I still got some scaring, but no active acne which is good. One side effect I would say is that I felt very tired and sleepy. I would defiantly say try this before going on accutane."

Neelab (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "I’ve been taking this for a UTI, and I believe its helping with that but honestly all the side effects are taking over to the point where my UTI is the last thing I’m thinking about. MAJOR nausea I have to lay in bed all day, it always feels like I could vomit. It’s made my anxiety so bad, I keep having panic attacks at night and it has kept me up all night thinking. My nausea has been the worst at night, too, so really not getting much sleep. Really not worth it"

kkhealth (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Well I have not been drinking lots of water, I have had no side effects, other than having to pee a lot. It is like the UTI is stronger, I've had no problems but do not feel like I'm getting better. I am on day 6 of 14 days. I will start drinking more water and take more probiotics in between the x 2 doses , eat yogurt people. replenish the good bacteria it depletes!"

Elaine (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Was prescribed this four times in seven months. each prescription I felt worse and worse. It was for e coli UTI. Nausea, vomiting and finally bed for the day. Diarrhea dripping down my legs. Told Dr. yet he prescribed it again and I am NOT taking it! As a Senior I cannot take these side effects!"

Valerie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2018

For Sinusitis: "I start by putting a half of a sulfa DS into a Nette Pot, saline and warm distilled water. Go slow with it, hold it in my nose as long as I can. Then I take 2 a day for 7 to 10 days, if there’s nothing in your environment recreating the problem, it goes away. I do think Augmentin 860/125 id still the best . Best thing to do is avoid dust, pollutants and keep your house super clean- I have times where I can go 6 to 10 months no antibiotics— but they are the only thing that works. In 2008 my ENT gave me a trial nasal mist with Cipro in it, used 2x a day for 4 days, nasal infection done for a yr, I went to refill it,, manufacturer removed it- why, because it worked—- I do use steam machines twice daily as well- distilled water, it helps, I have remedies- feel free to reach out"

Big Paul Walnuts (taken for 10 years or more) August 6, 2018

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "I've tried absolutely everything and was really depressed with my hormonal, cystic acne. I was feeling hopeless. I told my derm that I was set on accutane but he was persistent about me giving this a shot first. Within a week my acne is 95% gone. TRY IT! I am so thankful for this medication. Don't give up hope :)"

c (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was diagnosed with a UTI two weeks ago. I was prescribed 5 days of sulfameth, 2x a day, and told to drink lots of water. Day one I was extremely irritated while peeing and the burning lasted hours after. By day 3, the symptoms were better but I was still feeling irritated, just to less of a degree. I finished the prescription and saw the Dr to complain it wasn't gone. Sure enough it was still there in my urinary analysis. I was then prescribed sulfameth again to clear out all of the lingering bacteria, this time a 7 day, 2x a day. By day two I felt better but exhausted and groggy all day. Days 3,4,and 5 I slept 14 hours+ and chugged as much water as I could. Its day 6, my vagina feels like it's on fire and I know have to go back to the Dr. and get something else. This med helped but didn't eliminate the bacteria causing my problem. Just wish I wasn't in pain while figuring this whole thing out. Definitely trying a new antibiotic, it's day 13, and it's not gone. It's a problem."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2018

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I started this medication about 10 days ago for a UTI. First 3 days no problems in sight. No more burning when I urinate. But day 4...my face flared up like crazy with acne and burnt looking skin. I’m on my last day now and my face looks terrible! Red, flaky, acne, just bad. I am taking birth control with this since the doctor said it has no problems with it. I take birth control for hormonal acne anyway so this was fun. Helped with the UTI but all the damage it’s done it is not worth it. I’ll ask for something different next or endure the UTI."

Manda (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2018

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "After 6 days, my UTI tested worse than it originally did"

Walker (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: ""Horrible!! I thought I was going crazy. So very lethargic! Sore throat, sores on tongue like ulcers when I brushed my tongue with my toothbrush it immediately started bleeding I had to purchase zinc tablets because it’s like the antibiotics gave me thrash on my tongue. I went to the E. R scared had them run a chest X-ray chest cold. I thought I was having a MS Relapse in order to fully recover my Doctor had to prescribe me a 12 day round of steroids. I could not stay awake I would sleep all day. I would be out in 100 degree heat and break out in sweats. This drug need to be taken off the market the manufacturers need to be held responsible"

MSWarrior501 (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2018

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I took this medicine for 48 hours , I’m not a health person as it is. But this medication is horrible I can’t walk, up all night drinking water as my throat felt like it was closing. My body hurts!! I’m shaking, my blood in my body is on fire!!! Not to mention my legs feel like 250 puns waits. I stop taking day three but still SICK!!"

Lola (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2018

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I’d taken this drug for a UTI about a year ago and remember feeling nauseous and dizzy but not bad enough to call the doctor. Got two doses into this round and 10 minutes after taking the second, my hands and feet itched unbearably, my lips felt swollen, I was dizzy, my heart was racing and I was getting chills and hot flashes. I ended up in the ER and was pumped full of steroids and benedryl. 9 hours now since my symptoms started and my heart is still racing. Full blown sulpha allergy."

IRLA (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2018

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "Taking sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim for a boil. I'm now on the second day of 5 day of treatment. I had extreme shakiness which I thought was hypoglycemia. On day 3 I realized that it was anxiety attacks. I've had them before and they are the worst. I'm sorry for those of you who experienced them also but I am glad I am not the only one and not just "crazy" so to speak. It did work for my infection though but do not think I will ever take it again. The worst!!"

seegee17 (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2018

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Sinusitis: "I have a severe sinus infection that been lasting on and off for months. Dr put me on Bactrum for 15 days. I'm on day 12 with zero improvement. Actually I'm worse. No voice, face hurts, throat swollen, glands swollen. I feel the pill isn't do anything at all."

Sick of Being Sick (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2018

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I mean a lot of people on here are saying it didn’t work that’s probably because you have a different strain of bacteria from your UTI. It’s a guess & checking game until your urine culture comes back. Yep every two months I get a freaking UTI. I have one now:)) and am on bactrim I think it’s my second time. First time worked now I think I have a different strain. If you don’t eat yogurt before you take it prepare for extreme nausea and feeling like you’re on a horrible drug. Literally makes my eyes dilate. I feel high and nauseous. Taking a drug this strong especially for first guess diagnosis of strains is so idiotic. Refuse if your doctor prescribes it as a first guess. Don’t put your body through that unnecessarily. Seriously."

Jessie (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "My side effects were a nightmare for 3 days taking sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim for my urinary tract infection. I had bad headaches, couldn't sleep and felt nausea. I was feeling horrible. I'm drinking lots of water and cranberry juice as well. I will continue to do that for a very long time. (Drink plenty of water). Glad it's over."

Rose (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2018

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Been taking this medication for 4 days. Been a bit nauseated. But laying down a few minutes and rinsing my face with water has helped. It is working though. UTI is basically gone. 1 more day to go. I'd say find substitutes for side effects. Drink more water, get more sleep. Your body is fighting a infection. It's bound to go out of whack. I guess the pros were worth the cons."

Mariah (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Well I really can’t speak on this medicine fluently, because I only took it once, last night when I got prescribed, I ate it with yogurt like suggested, the next morning I wake up and feel extremely nauseous, drank some water and juice, I took a shower because that’s just how I am when I feel sick as hell, and then I puked a bunch in the shower. Hopefully this medicine works because as much as I’m terrified to take my morning dose, I’m sick of this nasty UTI."

T (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2018