User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim I.V., Septra I.V., SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim Pediatric

Shigellosis

Diverticulitis
3.3

Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 5.3 1,021 reviews

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Sulfatrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "Prescribed Sulfatrim for skin infection. Took 1 pill and began to feel body aches and pains and felt chilled with fever and flu like. Woke up in the morning drenched in sweat with severe pain in my side radiating to my tail bone. Couldn't sit, couldn't stand and couldn't lie down. Agonizing pain in my joints. Took another pill as I did not realize it was the drug doing it. Felt like I might die. Went to doctors in agony. Told to stop taking and given another antibiotic. Was to sick too take the other antibiotic and too afraid. After a few days, the pain subsided but missed a week of work because of it. Cannot imagine what other damage it did. Will never, ever take again. I thought I would die on this drug."

Jules (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "This caused bad vomiting, the last time I vomited like this: 1968, Hong Kong flu. There's better treatment for UTIs."

Oiseau (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2019

For Bronchitis: "I normally get bronchitis once a year. This year not so lucky. I’ve been battling it off and on for 3 months. It goes away for a bit and comes back. Cipro was working but stopped so doc prescribed this. I’ve tried it twice now and can not get past day 1 on it. My feet hurt so bad. I cannot lay down or sleep. Pain is too unbearable. (I’ve only taken 2 pills) My feet hurt when I stand but not as bad. I also am unable to sleep, even if my feet didn’t hurt. Prob is that it’s already helping the bronchitis. But I can’t do this. Have to call the doc for something else."

Jolie (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Was prescribed sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim medicine 7 days ago, no side effects UTI gone. Day 7 @ 7PM I had huge hives on my arms then my legs.. took benedryl & it did nothing to the hives by the time I woke up I was covered head to toe in hives. I went to Quickcare where I was originally prescribed this medication & they said I am allergic to it & said symptoms could get worse as in trouble breathing before it gets better (haven’t had that side effect YET hoping I don’t). They said the hives could stay for 21 DAYS!! They prescribed me Predisone for 18 days (6 pills daily for 3 days, 5 pills daily for 3 days, 4 pills daily for 3 days, 3 pills daily for 3 days, 1 pill the remaining 6 days)."

NDR March 30, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Bactrim doesn't work nor Cipro to clear up my UTI."

Layne' (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Excellent, took bactrim twice a day for 5 days with no side effects, worked quickly for a very painful and lingering UTI that nitrofurantoin (Macrobid) failed to cure."

Sesa (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This is not my first round of Bactrim. I have chronic UTIs a I've taken this a half dozen times in the key two years. This time I got a side effect I've never had before. Insomnia. I am so awake and have been for three days now. Yes, it does clear the infection for me. I do get the upset tummy which is very common."

C (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2019

Septra (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Kidney Infections: "Has got to be the worst antibiotics I've ever been on, no pain relief at all on the third day in, I keep getting weird sensations in my body and the constipation is horrible. I've also been told (by people around me) I've been really aggressive and depressed and lashing out ever since it built up in my system."

Pepper (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2019

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "I have a staph/MRSA infection boil in my right arm pit that is very sore and I get this at least once a year and this drug clears them right up but for some reason the first round of 30 pills did not get rid of all boils so I have started a second round of 30 pills and the only slight side effect I have noticed is a little light headedness but not all the time it comes and goes all depends on how much water I drink with it also found that if I keep the area washed with Hibiclens and cover the sore with a band aid during the treatment it helps"

whiteeye42 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have had a UTI for the past 3 weeks. Burning, running to the toilet every 10 minutes, horrible smelling pee, etc. I was prescribed macrobid and that was useless. Then I was prescribed sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim and I’m on day 3 and I don’t know if I’m getting better because my lower abdomen is super tender and I’m constantly peeing every minute. On day 1 it seemed to have helped but I’m not so sure. I’m really frustrated because this is affecting my daily routine and I just want the UTI gone."

B (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "It's 1 in the morning and I am still having breathing problems after being rushed to the hospital due to an allergy to bactrim. They gave me an EpiPen its been 2 hours and I am still having trouble breathing. I'm very young and healthy and something like this never happened to me before. I'm very scared and worried that taking this medicine has given me even worse problems. Has anyone else had this experience?"

Sad:( (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2019

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "Been suffering with this bacterial skin infection on my face for a year and finally sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim has gotten rid of it!"

Jen (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: "I was given a three day supply of bactrim for my post vasectomy recovery. I've just finished the second of two days and so far so good. One side effect though, and it may be an accidental benefit, it's cleaning me out- in fact everything feels better and things are more normal in consistency. I haven't increased or changed my diet in the last few days, just increased output and I feel better overall."

Ruxin (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "My husband was prescribed Bactrim in late April 2009 for what the dr thought was MRSA. Results came back negative and was told to continue taking it. 4-7 days into his antibiotic and his gums bled after brushing his teeth...then his hands turned purple from pushing the lawn mower and under his arms he had petechiae. He was bleeding internally and he had a platelet count of 1,000 (he was very close to death and we didn't know it). The bactrim had caused the low platelet count which means the blood can't clot. He had to have 2 transfusions and then caught Meningitis as well. Bactrim is a very strong antibiotic; use with caution."

AprilMay (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Had a UTI. sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim worked for that but after 5 days after a 3 mega pill a day course I had a severe reaction that my pain specialist dr told me was level 1 Stephen Johnson Syndrome! Had a bad rash on hands and feet and shingles like pain very bad. It reactivated the Herpes virus from the chicken pox I had when I was a wee baby. I now have nerve damage and first took Prednisone and now I’m on Gabapentin to take the horrific pain away for 6 months. I am very upset that I was not asked by walk-in dr if I’ve ever had chicken pox as then perhaps this would not have happened to me. My dr doesn’t even know if it will eliminate the pain. I’m so upset as this drug is very strong and I can never take a sulfa drug again as it could be life threatening! Not very impressed and it is not a rare occurrence as they try to say. I’m actually very angry "

PeeWee March 12, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Prescribed bactrim at clinic for suspected UTI. 3 pills later - swallowing and throat issues which lasted a couple of months, digestions problems, loss of appetite and weight, horrible anxiety for 4 months, just lessening now at 5 months. Horrible med for me. Never again. Makes me never want to take another med."

Catsmeow (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was given bactrim for a UTI and it didn't help me at all. I had some side effects but nothing major but for the UTI it didn't work at all."

TwistedRose (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2019

For Kidney Infections: "Was prescribed sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim for a kidney infection. I couldn't wait to take it as I was in a lot of pain. 2nd day off taking it the pain was completely gone and felt great. Day 3 is another story. Currently lying in bed with severe anxiety. I actually feel like I'm going nuts. It is now 3.30am and I went to bed at 11.30 and not one bit tired. Have completely lost my appetite. I haven't eaten in 3 days really just nibbles here and there and thats just forcing myself. Do not like this drug at all :("

Natty (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I would give this a 0 if I could : This was absolutely horrible I have had a breathing problem since I started it, I got it Monday night took one pill with a full glass of water and had a small meal due to not having an appetite, I waited 2 hours to lay down when I laid down to try tried to sleep I just couldn't when I would close my eyes it's like my brain wouldn't shut off. So I stayed up til 3 in the morning slept for a little bit then got up I had a headache after I laid back down but it went away. The next day I felt ok but still having a hard time breathing , I was confused at first but it went away, so I have been dealing with this for 3 days I went into see my doctor and she took me off it and prescribed something else to help with the "UTI" And a steroid for my chest, I have not had an appetite for the past 3 days. I would be careful with this drug and if you don't have to take it then don't."

Ms March 6, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Took it early this morning when I woke up with pain on urination. The pain got worse, my urine looked bloodier and bloodier every time I peed (which was frequent) that morning. Finally gave up and asked the doctor for a different prescription - got Nitrofurantoin instead and the pain and need to urinate all the time went away within an hour of my taking Nitrofurantoin. I don't think sulfamethoxazole worked at all for my UTI- maybe the strain I got was resistant, but maybe it is just much slower acting, and I don't see why we should suffer when other antibiotics are faster. If I get another UTI, I am going to ask the doctor to avoid sulfamethoxazole and give me something else."

Lila (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I've had multiple UTI'S in my life so I know what it feels like when I'm getting one. Tuesday night I had symptoms so I went to the doctor the morning after. Got prescribed Bactrim DS. I did what everyone shouldn't do and googled reviews. I was sooo scared to take it but I felt 100% fine. I was a little dizzy when I first took it but I honestly think that it was all in my head. This is the only medicine I take for UTI'S. I suggest taking it with food to prevent nausea. But no dizziness. No nausea. No fever. And my infection feels better already."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Day 1, first pill.......Insomnia. It’s not 3:30 am and I maybe got 2 hours sleep. First I woke up with a fever or 100.0. That’s when the panic set in - Extreme anxiety and constant feeling of twirling. Still drinking lots of water but I want to stop taking this."

Feeling Loopy (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for : "So, I've been taking bactrim for close to 15 years now. I take it to help with severe skin pain. 25 years ago I started to have severe skin pain, rashes, along with achy body all over. I've been to well over 100 doctors, I've had every blood test imaginable. Always normal test results. I take lyrica and cymbalta which helps some with the skin pain. 15 years ago I developed a rash in the groin area, doctor put me on Bactrim, almost immediately my total body skin pain started to subside and the always achy body feeling went away. My rash cleared up, however as soon, as I stopped the bactrim, my never ending skin pain returned. So, doctor suggested I try taking a bit longer 30 days. My skin pain and achy body is drastically reduced as soon bactrim is started. All pain returns when bactrim is stopped. So on bactrim for 15 years. My body and skin feel almost normal when on bactrim. No bad side effects."

Eagles Football (taken for 10 years or more) March 2, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Was given this med for UTI twice daily for ten days. I just completed day 4 and feel terrible. My UTI symptoms went away very quickly but the adverse effects are really affecting me. I have been taking it with food as it upsets my stomach but even like that I have the worst acid reflux symptoms. I have crazy heart burn and feel very fatigued. I think the reflux is what’s making me feel very nauseas as well. I have never taken this for ten days. My doctor told me if my UTI symptoms are gone I can stop taking them but I am scared it will return. Will probably take up to 7 days just in case."

AA (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Today was day 6/7, and I’m finally feeling a big difference. Even though the burning went away around day 4, I felt pressure in the tissues because they were swollen. I called the doctor early on asking why it wasn’t working. She told me to wait and finish the pills, since I wasn’t allergic. These antibiotics worked super slow for me, unlike others in the past that start working the next day. The worst side effect it gave me was fatigue. I wanted to sleep all the time. I’m going to finish them tomorrow, and start taking D-mannose everyday so it doesn’t reoccur, just so I don’t have to take antibiotics again."

Misha (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2019