User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Septra, SMZ-TMP DS, Septra DS, Co-trimoxazole, Bactrim Pediatric, Sulfatrim Pediatric, Bactrim IV, Septra IV, Bethaprim, Uroplus, Uroplus DS, Bethaprim Pediatric

Shigellosis

3.3

Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 5.3 1,075 reviews

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

LHO · Taken for less than 1 month July 14, 2019

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "Today is my fourth day on Spectra DS, 6 more to go. The first 2 days were the worst. My symptoms included nausea, headaches, lightheadedness/dizziness and kind of shortness of breath. I was about ready to call my Dr or Pharmacist to ask if I should stop the medication, but decided to give it a chance since I really need to get rid of my skin infection. Today, I have not felt those symptoms, so far. Hopefully it was my body reacting to the new medication. I find Septra DS to be a powerful/strong antibiotic, I’ve never had symptoms like this with any other. After my complete course, I will re-post to inform if it worked on my MRSA."

Ammetgman · Taken for less than 1 month July 14, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Managed to get a UTI overseas with barely any doctors around. Tried to get rid of the UTI myself for 2 weeks until I gave in and went to the pharmacy who only had this type of antibiotic. It relieved my pain for the 5 day course I’d been given. The only side effects I felt were nausea and loss of coordination. However, after my last antibiotic yesterday, the pain has completely come back. I don’t know what to do as I’m still overseas"

Jackson July 13, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: "After 2 days my fever rose to 102.8, I had severe kidney pain, and a burning sensation under my skin. Diarrhea soon followed, and then I began throwing up. I went to a different doctor and she did a blood test and urine test. My red blood count was very high, but my white count was perfect. She told me to stop Bactrim immediately and to never take it again, I felt like I had been poisoned."

Racso · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 10, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Infection Prophylaxis: "On this sulfamethoxazole with trimethoprim the generic version. 800 mg every 3 days. Preventive for lumbar laminectomy post surgery. Effective so far. About 3+ years prophylactic treatment. Will report on interaction w Lisinopril , metformin and new meds x post radical cystectomy."

Kat · Taken for less than 1 month July 8, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "This was my first time taking Bactrim because I’m allergic to penicillin. I had a infection in my big toe due to an ingrown toenail. I give three stars because it did work to clear up the infection. However on day seven I began having severe reaction to the drug. Excruciating pain my feet knees and hips combined with head to toe rash and itching. I took Benadryl and prednisone and still took several days to go away. The stuff is horrible. The pain in my joints and lower leg bones was unbearable. Never again."

Jl · Taken for less than 1 month July 7, 2019

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "I was prescribed this for a small infection of my cuticle (Paronychia). Within 2 days I experienced nausea, stomach pain, cramps l, bloating, headaches, insomnia, mood swings. I had to stop taking it. I have never had such a bad experience with medicine before. I will never take this stuff again!"

Hilly July 1, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Have been struggling with UTIs despite my many and varied preventive measures. Had some back up Bactrim that I tried instead of the Augmentin I was prescribed. On both occasions within a half hour I was in MASSIVE EXTREME discomfort, my vagina was on fire. I assumed I had developed a curiously fast yeast infection and treated it that way but with little success. Having done some research I now see it’s a less common but real side effect, similar to a swollen tongue or hives the vagina is the area affected. Lesson learned but terrible that this side effect isn’t mentioned more commonly, a nightmare."

Erin · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "It almost killed me. I took 2 doses. The pain that went from my waist down to my ankles were unmanageable. I ended up in the hospital and my legs completely gave out from the pain. They said I was having such a rare reaction that they didn’t even know how to treat it. It was the scariest thing I’ve been through."

LeeOz · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Fought a uti for over a week and finally gave up and went to the doctor earlier today. He prescribed Bactrim DS twice a day for 10 days and within an hour of my first dose the pain was gone. I’d hardly been able to leave the bathroom for almost a full day and all it took was one pill for me not to be absolutely miserable. I was an idiot for waiting and have had no unpleasant side effects."

MC3 · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "I am taking a double dose of Bactrim (2 in the am and 2 in the pm) for a skin infection after a surgery. I have not experienced any of the flu-like side effects that have been mentioned below. I have a wound vac on, so it is hard to tell if the skin is healing."

Jake · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: "Prescribed Bactrim for sore throat after taking Amoxicillin for 4 days (culture test indicated that Amoxicillin would not work for the bacteria found). At first, side effects included drowsiness, weakness, confusion, overall sluggishness, severe anxiety, rapid heart rate, and insomnia. I am on day 5 of 7, and have regained strength and have less confusion/drowsiness; however, the anxiety, increased heart rate, and insomnia are still present. I have woken up twice in the middle of the night with rapid heart rate, anxiety, sweats, and inability to fall back asleep. Hopefully this will cease to be a problem once I complete the course. This antibiotic is definitely not for me, and will opt for an alternative should I ever need it again. I gave it a 3 (instead of 1) because I believe it has helped with the infection; however, side effects are awful for me."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 27, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "Exactly 7 hours after taking 1 Bactrim (generic form) I threw up and had to visit the ER and receive my steroids through UV since I had a bad allergic reaction. What’s with this stuff it use to work now it’s hurting people"

Chris · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "I am on the eighth day out of the total ten day course of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim I was prescribed, and my boils have not gotten any better. They have gotten larger and more hard. I assume the bactrim is doing something, because they are not draining at all, but they are definitely not going away. The doctor told me this medicine kills MSRA, which can be resistant to antibiotics, but like I said, I haven't seen any improvement, they also still hurt! I will finish out the ones I have and go back to doctor to see what the problem is. I have not read about this medicine not working for people, so I'm confused to why it's not for me."

Bekka · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2019

For Kidney Infections: "sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim is worst antibiotic ever, it caused dehydration, kidney/flank pains..dry mouth, itchy skin, back pains & lower back pains, increased my acne, increased sweating..nausea, dizziness, muscle weakness..and oh boy I'm never taking this medication ever again!"

Mimo · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2019

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Took one pill at 7 am at 7pm had the worst burning nausea and vomiting, never experienced anything like this before. Never taking it again"

t · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: "I took Bactrim 800mg for acne. 30 mins after taking it my vagina started burning intensely. I did take it and then get into my pool, so I thought it was from the chlorine. I got out showered and after a few hours the burning subsided. I took another pill and once again the burning started intensely. I went to bed slept through the night woke up and still have the symptom plus itchy eyes, face, and arms. I took benadryl and I am praying for relief. When I spoke to my mother about these symptoms, she said she had the exact same reaction. Beware!"

Gabss0921 · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2019

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "I began to get a couple boils on/ in my butt and on the back of my thighs 2 years ago. I tried to treat them myself but had to eventually go to the ER because I made it more infected and could barely move from my bed. It worked almost immediately and they all began to drain. Two years later and here I am with the same issue. Went to my local urgent care and got prescribed the same meds. Crossing my fingers that it works... especially since I leave for vacation in less than 2 days "

James · Taken for less than 1 month June 13, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "Bactrim just about killed me. The worst medicine ever. It cleared up my skin infection from a bug bite after two days of taking it but I had to stop it immediately after being hospitalized from severe insomnia, horrible anxiety, body aches, heart palpitations, the list goes on. I would never take this again. Although it did its job, it also has made my life a nightmare. It has been a week since I stopped taking it and I still feel terrible. Please think twice about taking this."

mpan95 · Taken for less than 1 month June 12, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "Ohh my Bactrim DS.... I pity the people who may have to take these medications in the future. Its bad!!! The side effects kicked in after 3 days, I got really bad anxiety and the stomach aches and indigestion was BAD!!! Skin rash was also itchy. Took forever to clear my UTI!"

pmbourque · Taken for less than 1 month June 7, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: "I've been fighting a frustrating cavitational infection in my palate for years. I've lost count how many different kinds of antibiotics I've taken that were useless. They ruined my gut, made me miserable and gave me headaches. I'm loving this stuff Bactrim!! Not one side effect!"

sad · Taken for less than 1 month June 7, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I only had to take sulfamethoxazole with trimethoprim 2 times a day for 3 days for UTI. I was completely fine through the second day but on the third day the extreme stomach pain and nausea set in. It’s not just nausea, it’s also burning and stabbing. It hurts like I need to eat something, but when I eat I’m in pain. My stomach feels so bloated and heavy and I can’t do things for a long period of time without having to lay down. I’m on my first day off the pill and my stomach still hurts."

Bunty · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 6, 2019

Co-trimoxazole (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "Have taken one co-trimoxazole 480mg tablet daily for 2 years for acne. No noticeable side effects. Cleared up my constantly recurring pimples/rosacea. If I stop the spots come back. Excellent!"

Yazzy · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "My son was prescribed this drug after being hospitalized for an eczema infection. Then 7 days later he is covered in pin dotted rash and high fever due to bactrim. The Dr told me to give him benadryl every 4 hours for now. He can't sleep at night, I'm worried his rash will get worse and he will stop breathing. Dr says to rush him to the ER if symptoms get worse. This drug should not be given to a 9 year old."

TLM · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Have had 6 UTI’s over the course of 9 months. Took this medication once for the first one knocked me on my rear made me feel very sick like the flu. It did clear it up. Than put on different antibiotics for the other UTI’s and the diarrhea it caused was unbearable. This time had to go to ER a lot of blood in urine was pretty sick. They gave me Bactrim and taking for 7 days still have another 7 days. Makes me very tired and my eyes have been very itchy and swollen. But it is clearing up infection. Going to have to stop taking cannot stand the itchy eyes fatigue and weakness plus headache."

Asenaks · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Used to treat a UTI, 2 doses a day for 7 days. Felt better 3 hours after first dose, and by 2nd day felt 100% better. Other antibiotics have caused me more of the typical negative reactions (yeast infection, diarrhea, nausea), but Sulphatrim seems to agree with me."