User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Traveler's Diarrhea 1 reviews 72 medications

Prostatitis 17 reviews 47 medications

3.7
Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 593 reviews 6.1

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Kidney Infections: "I got sick the day after Christmas. Thought i was just having nausea, but it progressed to a very painful tummy and back so I went to the er with my husband a few days later. I had a kidney infection, so they put me on the generic for bactrim for 10 days. I felt no different till a few days in, and that's when I got some relief but also side effects such as persistant and constant nausea, and headaches. Wasn't too bad. Then I felt excited on my last day because I truly felt better (minus stomach cramps that I didn't think were serious at the time). But then less than 24 hours later I started feeling bad again with my back and tummy, so we went to the ER and they put me on the generic for macrobid. This is day one of that. We'll see how it g"

marielove91 (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "This is my second time taking this medication, both times it was prescribed for a alleged spider bite. The first time I took it I stopped before finishing because the side effects were terrible. I experienced headache, dizziness, flu symptoms and flushing. The second time I took it had the same experience so I drank 2 liters of water and symptoms subsided tremendously. This a double antibiotic so it is imperative that you drink a very large amount of water when taking it otherwise the medication is concentrated in your system and the side affects will be unbearable."

GeaneaNicole January 10, 2017

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Kidney Infections: "I took Bactrim for a kidney and bladder infection. I used to not have any issues with the medication but now for some reason it makes me so sleepy I'm sleeping 90% of the time on it. I refuse to take it an more because I need to be able to function and with this med for some reason now I can't function right."

Mashi5923 (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

For Sinusitis: "My first time on this medication, so far I'm not impressed. I'm on day 3 right now for a sinus infection and I still feel basically the same as I did the day I went in to see the dr, only my throat is incredibly MORE sore and I'm coughing when I wasn't before. Having trouble sleeping and I have no appetite. Hopefully I will see some improvement in the next day or two."

LedZepfan01 January 8, 2017

For Kidney Infections: "I have been taking a 10 day prescription of this for 6 and 1/2 days now. It was for my kidney infection. I hadn't noticed much relief till day 4, but its been good since then. I have nausea and headaches and a little joint pain, but would so much rather that than the infection. Only reason I'm not giving it 10 stars is because I am a bit scared that my infection might come back after using it, but I know its probably not likely."

k1991 (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2017

Sulfatrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This antibiotic worked quickly to clear up UTI. However, I had extreme gas and constant headache. Severe chest pain so bad that I went to ER thinking I was having a heart attack. Would not take again."

Raken (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "I went to the Emergency room due to a hot burning stinging itchy rash on my hand with what seemed to be white welts. I was also experiencing some nausea and felt weak. The doctor examined my hand and diagnosed me with cellulitus. He perscribed me augmentin, which he knew I was allergic too. At least I noticed it before I took it. He had to change my antibiotic to bactrim. I was given one dose at the hospital because no pharmacies were open on new years day. That night I felt a slight headache. The night seemed extremely longer than usual. Each hour, seemed like two or three. I didn't think the night was going to end. I was up every few hours, with a dry mouth. I also had an dream that was frightening, it was of a friend stabbing me."

HoneyBunnyToes (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2017

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Prevention of Bladder infection: "I was having symptoms of a UTI for a few weeks, so I finally went to the ER when the pain got worse, they gave me Bactrim. 2 days after taking it (twice a day) I got flu symptoms/ a cold. Today is my 5th day on it and I feel awful, shortness of breath, so so tired and I feel so nauseous. And I'm still having pain when I use the bathroom so I don't even think Its working. Going to call the doctor tomorrow, I won't be continuing this medicine."

Anonymous December 31, 2016

For Acne: "This was absolutely pathetic. My doctor informed the dermatologist that I needed a fast-acting medicine because she picked up on how my very severe acne affects my self esteem. As a result, he prescribed this, and I've been taking it alongside birth control with his instruction and oh my lord its made everything the worst its ever been. Cysts are coming out all over my face, and I've given the medicine more than enough time to take the junk out and start clearing my skin. Biggest mistake ever: DO NOT TAKE. I'm a teenager and I've been dealing with acne for 5 years now, and its been severe for 3 years and good lord do not take this it makes life so much more miserable. DON'T DO THIS TO YOURSELF."

Severe Sufferer December 31, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took this medicine for a UTI and right after I took my first dose I felt dizzy and ended up passing out and needing to go to the ER. I would not recommend this medicine because now that I have researched it, I found that a lot of others have had the same experience with it. Try something safer and more well known."

jennylucia (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Started taking Cipro for a bladder infection but had some bad side effects in the tendon in my right hand. Went back to the Dr. And he gave me Bactrim(Septra). I took it for 3 days in total before I had to stop. The symptoms literally made me feel like I was dying. I had a really foggy head, headaches, dizziness, I almost passed out one day. I got zero sleep the whole time I was on it. My joints hurt in the night, my skin got really itchy and developed a rash, I also developed extreme anxiety and I felt like I was having a heart attack with the palpitations. I was close to panic attack that's when I said enough is enough. I've never had a reaction like that and I have trouble remembering those days. It was a blur of pain and confusion."

Joebbbb1 (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have been on Septra for about 5 days now & still no relief!! I'm EXTREMELY nauseous & I can't sleep through the night because the pain is that bad. I'm on my way back to the Emergency Room."

Alyssa Hubbs (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "It's the worst medicine I ever had. I started to take Trimethoprim 2 days ago and I feel horrible. It made me dizzy and nauseous. I wouldn't recommended it to anyone - it's worst than UTi"

Koralik (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Back in 2011, after having and IUD and having several back to back UTI's I had to see a specialist. This specialist prescribed Bactrim. Well on the third day of taking this medicine, I woke up, tried to get out of bed and fell to the floor. I realized I couldn't walk, couldn't see straight and I felt very weak. I ended up having to go to the Emergency room only to find out that this medicine was taking the blood and bone marrow out of my body. I had to have two blood transfusion after this medicine."

1Amazingchica (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 24, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed this after going to get a checkup because I knew something was off, but I had no UTI symptoms. I have just spent the last 24 hours shaking, with tremendous headache, nauseated, chilled, and with insomnia. I would not recommend this medicine to a sensitive female. I cried until 2 am, and finally fell asleep. I have abdomen pain bloating which was not there before, and it feels like a yeast infection is festering. I am going to go back to my cranberry, water, and oregano oil methods. I also read about d-mannose but that looks more preventative. Probiotic too."

Tortured (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This is an awful medication and I recommend it to anyone. Went to the ER for stomach pain to find out I had a bad UTI. Took 1 pill that the doc gave me and was completely fine. Took the next pill 12 hours later, with some saltine crackers and a bottle of water. 4 hours later, I was shakey, nauseated thought I was going to throw up, my heart rate sped up, I had a fever (did go down with ibuprofun), had a minor rash on my cheeks, headache. Now marks 6 hours after taking it. laying down with towel over head, took benedryl to help with rash. Nausea has eased some, heating pad helps, rash is not as red. Going back to ER tomorrow for a different medicine. I'd rather take Amoxicilian, never have any reactions with that."

Savii December 18, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed Bactrim DS for a severe UTI and 7 day twice a day schedule. On the second day of dosage, I began having Flu-like symptoms such as dizzy spells, nausea, aches, weakness, and I felt so sick, I thought I was going to die. I felt worse each day and by the 6th day of dosage, I had to return to my doctor. He said I must have had a severe allergy to this medicine. He gave me a shot of antibiotics and prescription of 500 MG Amoxicillin. I am finally feeling better. The Bactrim did not work on me. They put a note in my chart to not prescribe Bactrim to me again. I think that some people have allergies to this, I know I do. Hope my story helps you."

Annie the techie December 17, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have taken this medicine off and on many times, works wonders, I always have refills if it comes back! It's definitely my go to!"

Rigley December 15, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This did not work. It made me dizzy and tied my stomach in knots. Provided absolutely no relief for my UTI."

Satyr (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm on day 2 of treating a urinary tract infection. I have been trying my best not to puke. I'm so nauseous, tired, and dizzy. I've had an irritation from my UTI it hasn't cleared up yet, so I will have to see what the rest of the week brings. I've never had problems with antibiotics before."

Melabie December 12, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "was prescribed this and took night before flying back east. 2nd pill during flight. I thought my face was really dry from airplane because it was really itchy. I had no lotion so ignored it. The 3rd pill that night and itchy face felt like wind burn, despite tons of lotion. The 4th pill in morning but face felt swollen and a little numb, especially around lips. So I called the doctor...told to stop taking it and that symptoms should go away next day. It's day 3 after stopping and face is better but still numbness feeling by lips. The half-life for the medicine to leave body should be over by now (well in a few hours). I assume it will eventually go away but will never take this again."

hate this (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm on day 7. It's the third antibiotic I've taken in 2 months. I pray it worked. I wanted to tell people to take good PROBIOTICS and it will keep the itching away. I take keffir It's like a probiotic yogurt smoothie w billions of good bacteria per serving in the yogurt section. I've also used Pill form probiotics "

Leslie1978 December 7, 2016

For Acne: "I was prescribed this a few months ago, I took the first day's pills and had a HORRENDOUS headache, but I'd taken many medications before it and had pretty similar experiences and the side effects usually dropped after a week or two. So i kept at it with this stuff for another 2 1/2 weeks, and still the same headaches. So i stopped taking it, I didn't notice a change in my skin either. Maybe I'm just sensitive to this."

Anonymous22anonymous November 29, 2016

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "Really bad medicine. My heart start burning and hurting specially at night. I don't recommend this medication."

Andreyblond November 29, 2016

For Acne: "This medication saved my skin and I couldn't be more happy with it. When I turned 20 I started to get cystic acne that would swell so bad that I wouldn't leave my house because I was so embarrassed. For a year I tried everything from high-end to drug store acne products, I even tried birth control,nothing worked. Within a week of taking Bactrim once a day my skin had no cysts or little bumps! I have a sensitive stomach and this medication did upset mine until I took it with milk and ate something light (cereal, bagel, granola bar). Always take it with food, I dont get any nausea if I take it with milk and cereal so I hope this helps if anyone is experiencing nausea from this medication. Wish I had tried Bactrim sooner!"

Anonymous November 27, 2016