User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Traveler's Diarrhea 1 reviews 75 medications

Prostatitis 18 reviews 48 medications

3.6
Summary of Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim reviews 695 reviews 5.9

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Got a pretty nasty UTI ... I've had them before so I knew the drill. Went to the Dr. The infection was confirmed. He prescribed Bactrim DS, twice a day for 7 days. I read the information provided by the pharmacist so I knew what to look for in case of a problem & took the first dose. I did have a few side effects, dizziness, mild nausea, and my blood sugar was off, but the infection felt better by the end of day 1. I can deal with mild side effects if it means fixing a larger problem. Pros & cons to everything! I would take it again if needed."

E.Oliver (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This is my first time commenting on any medicine. Anyways I almost didn't even take this medicine because all of the bad reviews but thank God I did!!! Please don't let these negative comments stop you from taking this medicine. The ONLY side effect I currently have is a bit of nausea and that's only because I do not eat much as I am on a calorie restricted diet. Maybe these people are having bad reactions because of an allergy to sulfa drugs or it is just the symptoms of the really bad UTI . IDK....I'm on these pills and have 1 more day left and it has brought my kidney pain down tremendously. I usually react badly to antibiotics but not these so thumbs up!"

Yoyo90 (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: "I am taking this for cellulitis. I have been on it for 5 days, and the swelling has gone down significantly, but the side effects are really crappy. I feel achey, hot, and I have a headache, and my joints hurt, but I'm not sure if this is also from having Lyme Disease in the past."

Lysh Lysh July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "Awful stuff, wretched stuff. If you suffer from Anxiety and depression this will magnify both by ten fold. Horrible palpitations of the heart, weird spiky fevers at random times, disoriented feeling while driving; it's just not a pleasant experience. Maybe I'm just allergic to sulfur or something but I can't stress enough-stay away from this stuff. There's plenty of other antibiotics that aren't this awful. I know my doctor had good intentions when prescribing me this garbage but I'm legitimately mad at him for putting me on this awful tripe."

LordMythologys90s July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "This medication has been so effective for me! It honestly worked wonders for my skin, though I do deal with dermatillomania. I haven't noticed any side effects and I highly recommend this for moderate acne."

Mcfallen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "Granddaughter in hospital thanks to this, everyone do the research"

Anonymous July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "It worked the first time I had a UTI. No change in symptoms the second time I was prescribed this medication since it is a weaker antibiotic for UTIs. Didn't really have any negative side effects besides not wanting to eat, but I think that was just the demon from hell UTI."

OneWithFrequentUTI's (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "UTI turned into kidney infection then into severe sepsis which is infection of the blood. 4 Days in the hospital on continuous antibiotics. Went home with Bactrim for 7 days. No side effects at all."

Sipress (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Hello all, just thought I'd share my experience with Bactrim. I'm a petite girl- as far as side effects goes I had almost none the first few days, but now on my 4th/5th day I am noticing the side effects appearing! Which are (for me) headaches, constipation (watch what you eat with this or else you'll get blocked up), loss of appetite (I'm not hungry almost at all), and oddly enough pain when I breath in (possibly mild pericarditis). I also can't seem to focus. But nothing too horrible. I take this on an empty stomach every time and it is absolutely fine. BUT- 3/10 pills left and I still have symptoms of a UTI !!! Ugh. So maybe it did not work for me."

123Doodles123 July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Bactrim has always worked for my UTI. I do see a pattern in the complaints about. The bottle doesn't say not to consume. If you mix bactrim with the smallest sip of wine you will get those side effects that I see mentioned. If you take bactrim do not consume any wine, beer, or hard liquor."

Imacble July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "In 2013 I had the loop electrosurgical excision procedure (LEEP) procedure to remove cancerous cells from my cervix. Newer area, new Dr, abnormalities are found again. 2 months of scare & tests, I'm told the cancer is 'fine',I have a cyst on my ovary, they want to remove my uterus due to it making my bladder incontinent & I had a urinary tract infection. I was prescribed this sulfamethoxazole. So after all the drama, I start feeling really nauseous, dizzy, spinning (fear of falling down), no appetite at all, uncontrollable severe itching & red welts (tiny blisters all over-mainly face), severe headaches, severe weakness, tiredness but couldn't sleep, fever, flashes of chills & sweats, twitchy, restless feeling in feet & legs, painful gas & runny stool, red eyes, my whole body aches!!"

Summer Sky W July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "If your allergic to Sulphonamides do not take this medicine I didn't know this until my doctor up my dose from 250mg to 500mg for kidney infection then ended up having major anaphylactic shock I was taking Trimethoprim which contained Sulphonamides I had a blood test done when I went into shock and when I awoke 5hrs later they told me what happened and why so now I wear an sos bracelet to let people know that I cannot be given anything containing SULPHONAMIDES I almost died as my heart stopped 3 times before coming around properly so please find out if you are allergic to anything containing this drug it could save your life "

Shellymay21 July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Kidney Infections: "I will not ever take this medication again (Generic form of Bactrim DS). I landed in the ER with a severe kidney infection... was given antibiotics, nausea medication, and pain medication through an IV. went home six hours later and started the Bactrim that night. I woke up at 2am absolutely drenched head to toe in sweat, with chills... couldn't fall back asleep. The next day I had the worst headache... terrible, terrible pain in the base of my skull, and a horribly stiff and sore neck. Any time I stood up I could feel my blood pressure in my head sore, just throbbing. I had zero appetite. I stopped the Rx after 2.5 days. I felt worse after I started the Rx than before it. Never, ever again."

tducheneau July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Skin Infection: "Started taking it 3 days ago and the first thing I noticed was a huge increase in anxiety. I have anxiety already, but this medication made it horrible. Started on it for an infected pimple, and it's helped that. Honestly It's not worth having tons of Panic Attacks, trouble breathing, weird taste in mouth, and even depression. It works on infection but not worth it for me.."

Andre66 June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I got this for a UTI at the ER. The next day I had an intense sharp headache that caused me to throw up. I lost my appetite as well and hardly ate for two weeks because I couldn't stomach anything and ended up losing a lot of weight . I also broke out in a terrible painful rash. It was all over my arms, chest, face, and neck. After two days I had to go to my regular doctor for steroids and a change in the antibiotics. The absolute worst experience on any medication, really surprised it's still on the market after reading all the reviews"

Anonymous June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: "I'm currently 15 months out from taking 2 pills of Bactrim and it was the worst side effects of my life. It started with uncontrollable anxiety and depression. I didn't feel connected with reality and I felt very confused. By the second night I was unable to sleep and that is still plaguing me. I shook the anxiety and depression within a few weeks but my sleep didn't become bearable for about 7 months and then it was still terrible. To this day I have poor quality sleep, confusion and occasionally onset insomnia. Avoid this drug. I also had a similar reaction to Levoquin. It gets better just ridiculously slowly. Others recover within days."

James123451245 June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Was prescribed this medication while in the US Virgin Islands, for UTI. Doctor prescribe me 7 days worth two pills each day. I've been taking the prescribed dose and have not felt much better except for one full the day before yesterday. I'm back in the States now and I'm continuing to take the medication since you should not start taking your antibiotics unless your doctor tells you to but I am going to go to my family doctor tomorrow and figure out why I'm now peeing blood and have small bloody deposits when I urinate."

Agreatmom71 June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Acne: "It's the silver bullet! Well, for me at least. I can only add my highest recommendation for Bactrim to treat my cystic acne, the kind that produces cysts around 2-3 cm in diameter all over my body and face. I've been on Accutane and every other antibiotic there is, but the Bactrim has saved me. It is hard on your digestive system, and I still haven't come up with a good solution for that yet, but I can certainly live with it if it means no more painful cysts which need to be cut out and operated on medically (no fun at all). I've always had cystic acne, but the Bactrim seems to kill the bacteria that produce the cysts, so as long as it keeps working I'm happy."

Tulloch (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "My daughter was taking this and the very first night she had horrible stomach pains. I chalked that up to not having enough food in her stomach. She ate more for her next dose and still had some nausea. Then after just after taking 4 pills she felt like she was going to throw up, her heart beat skyrocketed, she got very dizzy and could barely breathe and has pain in her back."

slsals (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I got my UTI early. When I first took the medicine I got a light headache but I didn't think nothing of it. After taking the second pill, my whole body started aching, hot flashes, fever, everything. It was so bad that I wasn't about to take care of my child. My husband tried to help but there was nothing he could do. I stayed up until 4 am because of the tossing and turning to get comfortable. This medicine needs to go."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "The first day I took this antibiotic I had no bad symptoms. The second day I took it in the morning and felt nauseous but was able to relieve the nausea. At night I took it before bed and woke up at 4am feeling very nauseous. I eventually threw up at 8 am. It is now noon and my stomach still feels very upset. I would not recommend."

I hate this drug (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Infection: "My 83-yr old father took only five (5) pills over the course of a few days and ended up in the hospital in acute renal failure and 103 degree fever. This man was not on any medications prior to taking Bactrim DS and was still working. His kidney functions have not returned to normal, his blood platelets are critically low, his blood pressure is now elevated, as well as his blood glucose. His whole life has changed for the worse all because of five (5) Bactrim pills. I just hope he's on the road to recovery."

Sherry L (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have had this prescribed to me due to a bladder infection. I took them twice a day for five days. And just now feel like I have symptoms of a UTI. Why is this?"

Lorraine04! (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I started on trimethoprim after taking a variety of different antibiotics for several years including erythromycin and lymecycline. I have been taking trimethoprim for three months now, and have halved my dosage after seeing an improvement. My skin has remained relatively clear (bar one or two spots) and I presume there hadn't been a growth of resistant bacteria since my skin has not worsened after lowering the dose (unlike other antibiotics I have taken). I'm giving it 9 because I haven't gone off it completely yet, and don't know what the result of that would be."

Maisie9878 June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) for Bacterial Skin Infection: "I was prescribed Bactrim twice a day for 10 days. The first day was ok by 2nd day I had a bad case of nausea and itchy. 3rd day nausea, fatigue, flu like symptoms and feeling cold along with insomnia. I stopped taking it and gradually I'm feeling myself. I continued keflex until the infection healed. I won't take it again. It's not worth the misery in my opinion."

Kaino (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2017