User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim to treat Infection Prophylaxis

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Septra, Co-trimoxazole, Septra DS, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim Pediatric, Bactrim Pediatric Bethaprim Bactrim IV Bethaprim Pediatric …show all brand names

Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim has an average rating of 5.0 out of 10 from a total of 8 ratings for the treatment of Infection Prophylaxis. 38% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 50% reported a negative effect.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

5.0/10 average rating

Compare all 13 medications used in the treatment of Infection Prophylaxis.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Anonymous December 4, 2011

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I've been taking this pill for almost my entire life to help keep off bad infections and it's been a miracle worker for me (I don't have any natural immunity, was born that way) so this pill helps me avoid any bad infections and thus far has worked great. I've never experienced any side effects from it.”

Joflo · Taken for less than 1 month September 12, 2018

“Doc prescribed this to treat a bartholin cyst which was not infected in hopes of avoiding infection. After a couple days, I thought I was coming down with the flu. Sore throat, stiff neck, severe back pain, nausea, really red irritated eyes, my skin hurt, joint pain, fatigue, fever, headache, and loss of appetite. Stopped taking them to try other meds to treat "flu". My husband suggested it might be the drugs making me sick. Tried them again weeks later and within a few hours, symptoms returned. Cyst is still here.”

LBKRHFY November 25, 2017

“As far as I am concerned, this is a miracle drug. I had a boil that wouldn't go away. I tried soaking, tea tree oil and a lot of other homeopathic remedies. The boil persisted for 3 months. 75$ for an urgent care visit, $4.00 for a 10 day prescription for it...4 days later, it's gone! Yes, a little nausea at first...ALWAYS take it on a full stomach.”

Tarahelper September 28, 2017

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “My 13yr old daughter has DiGeorge syndrome and she was on a number of meds. They had no interactions. But shortly after giving her this med (to prevent ear infections that she is prone to) she began to have seizures. I thought it was the bactrim and I think I was right. The Drs wouldn't listen. To me so I did my own tests. I took her off the bactrim for 6 months and she was fine. Then they said put her back on it. So against my better judgment I did and with in 4 days she was having seizures again. So I decided to not give it to her. Anyway they called dcs on me. And took my kids away. Now I'm fighting for them. But at my last court date they threw 5hose charges out.”

DMW · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2018

“This was prescribed to me after surgery to remove a sebaceous cyst. Ten doses, to be taken over 5 days. I was so nauseous, I could not eat anything. My legs muscles hurt so bad, I could barely stand up, let alone walk. I was shaky, weak, and felt like I had the flu. Although it made me feel foggy-headed and drowsy, I was unable to sleep for more than an hour at a time. It is the worst medication I have EVER taken.”

Racso · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 10, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “On this sulfamethoxazole with trimethoprim the generic version. 800 mg every 3 days. Preventive for lumbar laminectomy post surgery. Effective so far. About 3+ years prophylactic treatment. Will report on interaction w Lisinopril , metformin and new meds x post radical cystectomy.”

ToeGurl September 20, 2016

“Yesterday I took my first dose as an infection preventative so that my toe nail that was butchered off by a nail shop would not get infected. Two hours later my tongue was painful and felt heavy and swollen, my throat tightened and a sore of some sort popped up inside the inner cheek of my mouth. It was hard and painful like an abscess. My eyes turned blood shot red. I have been looking like a GD zombie for almost 24hrs. 12 hours later after taking the medication yesterday my tongue is no longer sore, but today the sore in mouth is still present. The sore no longer hurts though. I'm itching like crazy, and I'm having flu like symptoms.”

No Man · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2020

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “My poor son had terrible side effect from bactrim ds : high fevers (without rash) started on day 3, worse with each dose. This landed him in hospital. A fever side effect is rare. A fever WITHOUT rash is even more rare. Do not let anyone tell you it doesn't happen. It happened to me many years ago, and then it happened to my son, only so much worse!”

RaytoGO August 10, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I was on it for 5 weeks to prevent infection on my mastectomy site while drains were in place. No infection but mild nausea in the mornings became all day and more intense after 4 weeks.”

hat_hat · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 21, 2012

“Once my body got used to it, it was very easy to take. Sometimes I can get a bit of an upset stomach, but it has done its job well.”