User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim to treat Prostatitis

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Septra, Co-trimoxazole, Septra DS, SMZ-TMP DS, Bactrim Pediatric, Sulfatrim Pediatric, Bethaprim Bactrim IV Bethaprim Pediatric …show all brand names

Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim has an average rating of 4.5 out of 10 from a total of 44 ratings for the treatment of Prostatitis. 23% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 48% reported a negative effect.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

4.5/10 average rating

Compare all 28 medications used in the treatment of Prostatitis.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Cwalk · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 29, 2020

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I’ve been on bactrim for almost three months for Prostatitis which is getting better slowly. Having some lower back pain. Has anyone else had to be on a bactrim for this long to cure this problem. During all this the pain started in my testicles and went up into pain behind my penis. So tired of this pain. Anyone else have the same issues?”

Blackhawkdown · Taken for less than 1 month February 6, 2020

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Bactrim almost finished me. Should have known as it wasn't working anyway and I was getting the DS prescription. Suddenly became very ill, needed to go to the hospital for IV fluids, had a terrible reaction , like the worst flu I ever experienced. 2 weeks later I am still getting ringing in my ears, and watching my skin carefully, fearfully as I broke out with nasty boils all over my arms and legs. If there is permanent damage I am considering the possibility of starting a lawsuit as my health seems to have been permanently damaged. I'd never been this sick with anything like this, and I am 68 years old, have always been in good health until now! I am very angry that a prescribed medication like this could be almost lethal to me.”

Dan · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2020

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Took Bactrim forte for prostatitis 2x a day, at the beginning I just had a mild itch but by day 5 my eyes became red and started seeing floaters in my vision, at this point I had to stop. Be careful with this drug .”

Iminneed · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 26, 2020

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I’ve been on Bactrim for over 5 weeks- prostatitis. I have 5 days left and my prostate is still swollen as it was when I was on other stuff. I was on Cipro at first but after the 3rd day the side effects hit me too hard so I got taken off of it and started a 2 week course of tetracycline until I could get into the urologist office. But since this Coronavirus came into play. They canceled that appointment so I had to make different appointment at the doctors and tell them that tetracycline is worthless against this type of thing. So then I got out on Bactrim. Bactrim helped after day 5 but I haven’t seen really any improvement since.”

DeeDee · Taken for less than 1 month April 18, 2020

Septra (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Septra killed my father at the very young age of 36 years young. It gave A-plastic Enemia. dads family doctor of Pikeville Kentucky administered the drug for prostate infection. I was 11, my brother 13, my sister 18 months and my sweet strong mother 33 becomes a widow. Dad became extremely weak and he never missed work he was a coal miner. He missed work to go see his dr & his doc sent him by ambulance to Lexington Kentucky st Joshep Hospital to a friend doc of doc Johnson’s. He lived bout a month. His name Charles Edward Coleman RIP DADDY I LOVE ❤️ YOU. DADDY LOVED HIS FAMILY”

JAY-C February 19, 2018

“I took Bactrim for 28 days (along with 400mg Ibuprofen 2 x daily and a zinc/curcumin/resveratrol supplement 1 x daily. I had no side effects and symptoms GREATLY improved. Once the Bactrim was finished, I took 200mg Ibuprofen 2 x daily for the next week along with the supplement. I only gave Bactrim a "7" as I don't believe it would have worked alone to completely heal my prostate. I had to make dietary changes (no milk, more veggies/ greens and no caffeine/alcohol/ spicy foods) and take other things in combination with this medication.”

Don DIego · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2019

“I was put on this drug 14 days ago for suspected Prostatitis. 2 times a day x 15 days. 2 material side effects have been noted, definitely related to this drug. 1) Difficulty getting to sleep and staying asleep. 2) I used to be able to go all night without getting up to pee. At first I started getting up at 3 or 4 with a second trip to the toilet at 6 or 7. Last couple of nights I've been getting up every 1.5-2 hours (and during the day as well). Flow is also very weak. Getting a PSA test in 2 days. I hope this drug has done its job.”

mike January 1, 2020

“My husband died taking this drug while on a blood thinner. In large/extended time doses can cause thrombocytopenia. He was prescribed 160 mg dose for 30 days Had a massive stroke for no apparent reason. At time of death he had thrombocytopenia and nobody knew it. He had taken Bactrim for 14 days.”

richard Manford November 8, 2017

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Prescibed Bactrim for prostatitis. Was showing good improvement after 5 days. Day 9, big full body hives develop and had to stop. Dr. thought I was allergic to the sulfa component of bactrim so he prescibed Trimethoprim(the other component in Bactrim) by itself a week later. After 1 pill the hives start again... Was switched to Cipro with slight improvement and then to Doxycycline which is significantly helping after 4 weeks. Going to continue it as long as I'm improving . 70% better now.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 17, 2016

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I was originally prescribed Cipro to treat my prostatitis. After 6 days Cipro proved ineffective for the particular bacteria I had. Switched to SMZ-TMP in addition to Flomax and already feel relief on day 2. SMZ-TMP was free at my local Publix. I would have given it a 10 if I wasn't taking it in combination with Flomax (which is also having positive results).”

humpi37 · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Had TURP 17 years ago for prostate ....not a great success. Recently had discomfort and some blood passing post arousal. Not sure if prostatisis or UTI or both. Doc prescribed 10 days Bactrim 800mg at 2 per day. All clear after 2 days, but some minor hives.”

Pryorstat · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2016

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Dr Prescribed this med for my Prostatitis symptoms, on day 5 of a 28 day plan. Noticeable reduction in symptoms so far. Pain seems to be fading as the days pass. Was told to take the whole prescription as just because the symptoms fade doesn't mean it's gone. Some light side effects are light headed, occasional nausea, and some interrupted sleep, some body tingling also during the day. But if it makes these symptoms go away it's worth the tradeoff. Better than feeling like your bladder area is on fire. If you can handle the slight side effects for a couple of weeks I would recommend give this a try. Although everyone is different and side effects may differ.”

ArthurAllgood · Taken for less than 1 month January 19, 2020

“Prescribed this for slight prostatitis. Urinating more at night then before, can't sleep for longer than 3-4 hours because of need to urinate. Before I could sleep at night and use restroom only once, now am using bathroom roughly at 3am, and again at around 6am.”

Guini · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “This stuff should be out of market. I took it 3.5 days and got almost all side effects of it. The worse is anxiety which you cannot get rid/reverse until last drop of Bactrim leaves your body, not talking about kidney, lung damage plus super muscle pains. Drink a lot of water and quit it once you notice that this drug is not for you. Just thankful that I am alive...”

gorite August 25, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I was trying to get well, I need to have both knees replaced, I could not urinate, I had a infection in my prostrate so I was put on Bactrim 800/160 2 per day for forty two days. After 2 days my knees stopped being painful all time and I could walk easy again, I could not believe it, nobody else believed it either. I took it for 30 days like candy, no problems. Doctor took me off of Bactrim and 2 days later the pain returned in my knees. I ask my Doc. if I could take the rest of my 16 pills she said yes, took one a day and pain went away again. I need more pills and maybe I will not need knee replacement.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 21, 2015

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I took this for prostatitis last year and I'm on it for the same thing again this year. Last time i was on it, it helped the infection but the infection did not completely go away, and I had to go on a different antibiotic. I have had a tough time getting a good night of sleep since I started taking it. I wake up many times a night and lay awake in bed quite often. It's annoying but I've had worse drug interactions. It's extremely cheap which is a positive.”

JEB · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Horrible . After taking Bactrim for prostatitis I have pain in fingers ,toes ,shoulder, elbow, wrist, knees, ankles after 14 days .Sudden on set at that time. Stopped taking it started claritin and tagamet, pain free after 24 hrs.”

J · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2020

“I took Bactrim DS for about 6 weeks because my doctor thought I had prostatitis. I had no side effects except for feeling unwell the first day or two. I also had a horrible headache the second night but I don’t know if that was the Bactrim or not. Unfortunately the problem wasn’t fixed and I had to get a test done to check for bacteria in prostate. Doctor got results and prescribed me The generic for Levaquin. Going to see about a different prescription as I don’t like the possibility of side effects with Levaquin.”

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Took Bactrim for 2 weeks and flu like symptoms the entire time. Eventually broke out in hives after 2 weeks and was told I was allergic. BUT my prostate swelling is down and I feel better. So it put me through the mill but it took care of the underlying issue. I’ve been itching for 4 days after taking my last pill. Hope to be itch free soon.”

Mike · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2019

“This antibiotic sulfamethoxazole with trimethoprim has been the absolute worst drug/medication I have ever taken in my entire life. From what I have seen in these reviews and from my personal experience, it should be a crime to state that the only side effect is diarrhea and that all other side effects are "rare". Not only did I have a constant 101-102 temperature fever with chills, nausea, and headache, I also got to experience about 70% of the so-called "rare" symptoms neck and cheek swelling, constant face and chest itching, muscle pains sharp pains not soreness, tight chest, joint pains that are sharp, restless and sleepless nights, and so much more. I'm not sure if my condition was worse for the rest of my life or the 10 days of hell on this antibiotic.”

JTbc March 12, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “After 3 1/2 weeks, I developed a skin rash, which started itching horribly. The rash and itching continued for two weeks (13 days) after stopping the medication. Apparently Sulfa allergies are fairly common. Benadryl helped the itching a bit.”

Dragon March 31, 2018

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Bad side effects to the extent that I had to stop after 2 days. Flu like symptoms, bad headache, pain in muscles and joints, low fever, no energy, could not eat, nausea - you name it, I had it. Too bad as I think it was starting to knock down my bacterial prostatitis. The Flu like symptoms were so convincing that I stopped for a few days, felt better, then started again just to make certain I didn't have the Flu.”

CBLagoon · Taken for less than 1 month March 13, 2014

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Bactrim cured my prostatitis within two weeks, however I had to stop taking it earlier than prescribed because I discovered I was allergic. I noticed flu-like symptoms, including chills, fever, and horrible muscle aches. On top of that, I developed a head to toe rash that itched like crazy. Imagine being sore and itchy at the same time. Luckily, all of this subsided within a few days of quitting Bactrim. Since the antibiotic kills bacteria everywhere, I noticed I had flawless skin for about a week. But that didn't last. The bacteria came back with a vengeance and I developed the worst acne of my life. I'm now taking doxycycline and using expensive creams to combat this. It's been two months since I stopped Bactrim and I am still breaking out!”

DMan2 · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2012

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I've been having some discomfort that my doctor felt could be prostatitis. So, until I could get in for a CT Scan and also see a urologist, he put me on Septra DS. Everything was going fine until day 6. I was on my 23 anniversary weekend and I got up that morning to take a nice hot bath in the hot tub in our room. When I got out of the hot tub and started to dry off I noticed hives on my inner thighs. Looking in the mirror, I noticed that I was also covered in hives from my armpit to my waist on both sides. The culprit? Septra DS. Within the next few hours I was covered on my back, stomach, legs, arms, and a few on my lips. Allergic reaction.”

Tom · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2019

“Never had any challenges with antibiotics before, this stuff destroyed my sleep cycle and I'm still trying to get it back in sync 6 months later. There may have been additional neurological damage only I couldn't tell if that was from the Bactrim or from the Xanax I was prescribed trying to make myself sleep again. Two thumbs WAY down!”

Learn more about Prostatitis