User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim to treat Otitis Media

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Septra, SMZ-TMP DS, Co-trimoxazole, Septra DS, Bactrim Pediatric, Bactrim IV Sulfatrim Pediatric Bethaprim Bethaprim Pediatric …show all brand names

Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 9 ratings for the treatment of Otitis Media. 33% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 72 medications used in the treatment of Otitis Media.

Husky November 22, 2020

“Sulfamethoxazole with trimethoprim combo antibiotic is the worst medicine for an ear infection and doctor gave me this Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim 800mg/160mg to use twice a day. The first 2 days, I felt like vomiting, loss of appetite. day 2 to 4: I felt tired, minor headache, constipation and loss of appetite still. Day 5 to 9: this period is worst. I got high fever at night, hot flash, chill, shaky, killer headache, Muscle pain and my left shoulder became numb at night. My fever went from 100 deg f on day 5 to 103 deg f on day 9. I had to lay on 7 ice pads to keep the temp down. ( tylenol and advil could not even control the fever when this drug was in) I stopped using this med on last day and I felt like rebirth the next day. I visited my doctor back on the 7th day and asked for changed but he didn't believe me. He asked me to do a covid test which I later did. My covid test came back on the 10th day and it was negative. I had no running nose, no coughing, and no sore throat during this time so I know it wasn't a flu.”

Nogo · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2018

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Nasty side effects but very very slowly relieved symptoms. Took many days to get used to side effects. Better than the other antibiotic I seem to be allergic to, though. Nausea, chest pains/anxiety, insomnia, night sweats, headache, dehydration.”

Eema53 January 6, 2018

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “This is the only medicine that is a miracle drug! I always use it for ear infection, sinus infection and bronchitis. I am allergic to penicillin and erythromycin. It works very quickly for me.”

Anonymous November 18, 2009

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Where do I start, I was feeling so icky and found out I had a double ear infection. My doctor decided to put me on Bactrim. That was the worst medication ever. I've had back pain, dizziness and nausea ever since starting it. The other odd side effect is the nasty perfume taste and smell I keep smelling. ”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2012

“This medicine works, but has side effects. Four out of five people that I know, including myself, who have taken this medicine have had ORAL THRUSH. Some of us had no pain, but others got huge white patches in their mouth and they hurt. In my case I didn't, but it was weird looking.”

yisagirl · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2012

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I have had ear infections on and off for years and Bactrim is the only medication that cures them.”

Anonymous November 18, 2009

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I am a 30 year old female and was prescribed Bactrim for a bad ear infection. One day later I had a rash all over my arms, neck and face. I was given a new antibiotic in the ER. ”

Anonymous February 20, 2009

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “My son has IGA deficiency. This was the second antibiotic given for his ear infection. His fever did not return but the infection continued.”

cher bear · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 26, 2013

“Took for 4 days felt run down. A lot of anxiety and pin point eyes. Had to lay down because of body aches, but couldn't sleep. Drank a lot of water and got charlie horses in feet & toes. ”