User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim to treat Upper Respiratory Tract Infection

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Septra, SMZ-TMP DS, Co-trimoxazole, Septra DS, Bactrim Pediatric, Bactrim IV Sulfatrim Pediatric Bethaprim Bethaprim Pediatric …show all brand names

Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim has an average rating of 4.1 out of 10 from a total of 14 ratings for the treatment of Upper Respiratory Tract Infection. 36% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 64% reported a negative effect.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

4.1/10 average rating

Compare all 597 medications used in the treatment of Upper Respiratory Tract Infection.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Renee · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2020

“sulfamethoxazole with trimethoprim combo medicine made me feel fatigue, sweaty, shaky, nausea, couldn't get off the couch, never improved. Switched to zpack and feeling better by 2nd day. I realized I have had bactrim in the past, and always had issues. I will never use it again. Good luck!!”

Anonymous April 26, 2020

“Was prescribed sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim by my doctor since I’m showing signs of a mild UTI . Have to take the medication 2 times a day for 3 days . Took the first pill felt nothing unusual . Took the second pill and immediately started noticing the horrible side effects . I COULD NOT BREATHE ! I was sweating I had a really bad headache I have anxiety and this drug makes you even more anxious I would not recommend if you have anxiety this heightens it ! I also did not notice how jittery I was until I actually payed close attention to my body .”

Anonymous November 3, 2019

“Will not be taking this sulfamethoxazole with trimethoprim combo antibiotic again, it worked well but the side effects were horrible. In the 3 days of taking them I experience severe shakes, itching, insomnia and extreme panic and anxiety. It felt like I was losing my mind and I also developed a yeast infection but that’s a natural reaction from any antibiotic. I’m almost on my last dose, and I’m definitely discontinuing it’s not worth it.”

R.Jones · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 24, 2013

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Being that I have rheumatoid arthritis and take medication for that, finding antibiotics to treat infection isn't easy. I did not have many side effects from this medicine, as I took it how the doctor prescribed. I did have upset stomach though at first. Any infection I had, showed definite improvement within the first 36 hrs.”

Annax June 7, 2017

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I was prescribed this medicine for a upper respiratory infection and sinus infection. The first day it helped me sleep taking the two pills. My third day I was feeling a lot better able to get out of bed felt like everything was going away. Later in the night on my third day I started having chest pains, peeing a lot, and extremely tired. My forth day I was having more chest pain and my brain felt cloudy. I'm on my fifth day and I don't know if I'm going to continue it . Started getting short of breath , and light headed. Starting to feel how I was feeling before I started the medicine. I wouldn't recommend at all.”

Cdcd April 1, 2017

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Very annoying side effect for me was the constant air bubbles stuck in my throat. Bad taste and tastebuds are effected....felt like mouth and throat were slightly numb and felt as if I had a thick film in mouth/throat. Constantly felt like I had to swallow.”

Terry2 December 10, 2014

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “After 3 months fighting off Pneumonia followed by Bronchitis and then Sinusitis with a Middle Ear Infection, I am almost back to normal. 7 days of 1000mg a day of Amoxicillin did nothing. Next Levaquin got the pneumonia off the X-ray but I was still sick. Clavulin made things a bit better for my cough. Septra worked from the start and I have been taking it for 14 days.”

KirstiePaige November 4, 2017

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “When I was 15 I learned that I was allergic to Bactrim. 11 years later the Doctor prescribed me with this medication stating that our allergies change. I was nervous to take this medicine, but I was so sick with an ear infection that I decided to give it a try. The worst experience in my life. I only took two pills one in the morning and one before bed. I was up from 12 Am- 6 Am non-stop puking. I could not hold anything down. At first I thought I had the flu as every bone in my body was in pain... After a few hours of sleep and not taking this Rx I then realized I am still extremely allergic to this medication. I would never want someone to go through what I went through. I have not taken this medication since yesterday and I have not puked.”

Dreamspirit February 20, 2017

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI . Within minutes of taking my first dose I became extremely itchy and developed welts... I stopped taking it and it took two days for the itch to calm down. So apparently I'm allergic to it. Had to get a different drug called in which was CIPRO will not take that one do to bad side effects so now I'm on Macrobid. Will see how this goes.”

Nini02112017 · Taken for less than 1 month May 27, 2017

“I been super sweaty, insomnia, flu symptoms, night sweats, loss of appetite and severe back and neck pain! I will completely stop using this !! ;( got it for UTI but doesn't seem to have gone away. Had it for over a week been taking it since then.”

darry July 16, 2009

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Had an allergic reaction: shortness of breath, uncontrollable shaking, dizziness, near fainting, headache, fast heart rate. ”

prettygentle · Taken for less than 1 month December 23, 2012

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Went to the doctor for an upper respiratory tract infection that would not relent. The Septra DS had me feeling much better in just a couple of days. Remember to finish the entire prescription!”

LorbyLor September 9, 2014

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Best antibiotic I've used. I've never had a problem. And it always get rid of the problem.”

Anonymous January 30, 2009

“This medication gave me a rash and hives. Also did not relieve my cold symptoms.”

Nurse HM · Taken for less than 1 month December 10, 2017

“It takes several days for an antibiotic to start working and you must take them as prescribed and finish the whole prescription even when you feel better.”

Oiseau · Taken for less than 1 month April 6, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “This caused bad vomiting, the last time I vomited like this: 1968, Hong Kong flu. There's better treatment for UTIs.”

Learn more about Upper Respiratory Tract Infection