User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 383 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"Elderly dementia patient developed extreme anxiety and stayed awake around the clock while taking this drug."

GrandNana (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I had 3 UTIs this year so far, first in February, got cephalexin prescribed, for 7 days .. It returned in June, got prescribed ciprofloxacin for 5 days... It had returned in August... I asked the doctor why this is happening?? She said they prescribed me the wrong drug at first time, the first drug was resistant to the bacteria I had. (Really? Why do we pay doctors for???) so i got Bactrim DS prescribed now, I'm on day 3, got for 5 days. I weight 100 pounds, so I try to take the pill with activitia and yakult, that helps with the upset stomach. I felt as side effects, dry mouth (because dehydrate you), loss of appetite, tiredness, fast heart beating. Hope this works for me, can't be sick anymore because of doctor mistake!!!"

Cutekitty August 21, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "1st day on Bactrim and it sounds like there's a tiger in my stomach and I have the worse stinking farts, my husband had to sleep in another room make sure you get some room freshner spray"

Stinky butt August 19, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I called the doctors due to weird symptoms after my 5th day of taking this medication this concludes (chills, naseous, diareah, headache, and even numbness throughout my entire face , lips and mouth, and the shakes) the pain I get from my uti's (burning sensation, hard to pee and hurts) I felt like bactrim made my pains worse the burning was 100x worse ! I felt as If I was dying!!!! I even had severe insomnia up until 6-7 am! Called the doctors and they said I should have called when the headaches and shakes came a long! Cut me off it immediately and prescribed me macrobid instead, hope it helps !!"

Breezy22 August 16, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This antibiotic did horrible for me, it gives me bad migraines even though i drink a ton of water with it, I'm on the second day and have a horrible migraine my spine hurts to walk, server leg cramps, joint pain too.. it's awful.. i will know now to never take this again... my body did not react well. the side effects are not worth it... next time i will be sure to tell my doctor to never prescribe me this again!"

BrittS90 August 9, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Took 1 dose (first dose) at 6am on a tuesday. By 8am throat was sore. 9am feet went numb and started feeling odd, throat hurt more as well. By 11 am feet were red and raw and hurt like nails poking through them. Genitals became beat red and raw! Had a fever and loss of appetite. Did not take anymore after first dose. Thursday feet were better but still had sore throat and genitals still raw and felt nauseous. Friday still sore throat, genitals not as red or raw but developed a hive on them. It's now Saturday and still have sore throat, color is back to normal on genitals but still have hive and now another in the pubic hair area. I'm kinda freaking out now and probably go back to he doctor today. All this from one damn pill! Uti still there"

Ga (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2016

"I'm taking this god awful antibiotic. Two pills for three days. I'm super drowsy. Knocked me out for ten hours and probably would have slept longer had my bf not violently shaking me awake to see if I was still alive, constipated, have a horrible headache, chest pain and can't even keep water down. I wish I never took it. So I'm going to stop taking it. Plus side; I think the infection is gone but not worth it."

ashcon August 5, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Started this med yesterday for the first time. Immediately noticed how strong it is! Prevented vomiting by only taking on a full stomach. Drinking a lot of water will help with the headaches as dehydration will cause this too. I don't recommend taking too late at night because of insomnia."

Rhodesranch (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2016

"This medecine is the generic brand for Bactrim da and it started working in 2 hours Omg I feel so much better"

NEENDING (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2016

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I've just finished my treatment for a urinary tract infection. I no longer have any symptoms from the infection. First 8 days of a 15 day treatment was fine with no side effects. Beginning the 9th day, I began experiencing a mild rash and itching which seem to begin on my chest and neck and migrated to my back. A bit of a nuisance but tolerable. Around the 11th day, I began to experience mild joint and muscle ache and a tender scalp around the base of the skull. Acetaminophen and ibuprofen have helped to overcome this but by the 14th and 15th day, I felt like a had the flu with no nausea but a loss of appetite. I took the last pill this morning and by 1PM, had to lay down with chills, aches and pains, headache and a slight fever."

Vinylville July 31, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Bactrim has always worked to clear up my uti infections. I have never had any bad experiences with this drug. I love it 800/120 twice a day for 5 days is what has worked for me."

Chabelabela July 29, 2016

"Helped clear infection but made me very moody and depressed!! Just finished 3 day course hope the side effects fade ... Nasty :("

Susu31 (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have chronic uti that have spread to kidneys and 2 times septic. 1-3 uti per month for last 4 years. Bactrim never worked...I am told it is used frequently for gram negative bacterias. Finally a University Hospital lab found it was gram negative E. Coli ESBL. Bactrim is not usually effective on ESBL."

Kimberlealv (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016

"Dr. Prescribe for UTI, this almost cost me my life. Migranes, chills, dizziness, chest pain,nausea, indigestion. It was so bad i ended up in the ER with cardiac type symptoms, long story short i ended up having to do a heart cath which turned out ok. Whatever you do run the hell away as far as you can from this medication!!!"

martymar July 23, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "PA gave me this drug took the pain away but left me with diarrhea the first day. The second day I took my dose, afterwards I got weak and lightheaded and could not eat. I called the office and they said I could discontinue use if I wanted to so I did."

Nhhhh23 July 18, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This is an amazing drug, I've never had any side effects besides that one where my bladder infection went away, if your reading people's posts who have horrible side effects they probably have an easily upset stomach. Don't eat or drink water. In most people these don't cause side effects when properly taken. Or allergic! I wouldn't be too worried."

Mitsubishi22345667 (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2016

"I immediately got worried because of the many negative reviews for this drug. But I decided to just take it and see what happens. I was to take it 2X daily for 3 days. The first day that took it, I felt a little nauseous and a little off, but nothing major. The second day I felt totally fine after taking the 2 doses for that day. Today I am on the last day, I feel MUCH better (I can still feel slight burning when urinating is not totally gone but definitely a big difference than when I started). I am hoping that after this last pill all pain and irritation will be gone. Antibiotics work differently for everyone, so my advice is don't get freaked out by all the negative reviews. I normally don't even write reviews but I felt the need to"

Dsid July 9, 2016

"I did not like this at all! Was put on 5 days of this antibiotic. It worked the first day but my last day taking them the burning and frequent urgency came back. It's just as bad as when i first started taking them. And I've been getting crazy headaches! I never get headaches and based on other reviews i believe it's this medication."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Prescribed Bactrim for a UTI. One hour after first dose I was in bed with excruciating leg pain. Migrain and nausea followed. Leg pain lasted for 12 hours. Should have went to the ER."

Bad experience June 20, 2016

"I am on day 2 of trimethoprim and I am still with a little pain and still have blood on my urine. I had the worse migraine this morning and my vision was blurry! It was terrible! Now I feel like I'm too awake to sleep and also very constipated! Worse ever!!"

Lizzy Alibe June 18, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "My experience was horrible!!!!!! Perscribed 2 pills a day for 3 days. After the last pill, I started feeling strange and had servere headaches from the time I started taking it until a week later. I didn't think much of it until I went home from work and didn't leave the couch. I had no appetite, constipated, sweating and chills, I wanted to puke, my eyes hurt so bad. Couldn't shake whatever was going on and drank as much water as possible. My body was sore I slept almost an entire weekend away. I can't tell if my UTi is completely gone or not because I'm still constipated and it hurts! I've never had an antibiotic like this and I never want it again! All my doc told me was to keep pushing fluids and eat yogurt. Good luck people."

Anonymous June 8, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was scared to take this because I read about people having horrifying side effects...I'm taking the generic form of Bactrim DS 2x a day for 7 days. On day 5 and the only side effects I've noticed are mild gas and a headache. If you're skimming these reviews looking for reasons to be scared, just remember that most of these bad reviews are from people who are probably: A) Allergic to the medicine. B) Not drinking enough water. C) Using alcohol and non-prescription drugs which you are NOT supposed to do while on Bactrim. D) Not taking it with food. Take the medicine with food and a good probiotic and it will help minimize your side effects. Drink LOTS of water and stay out of the sun while on this medicine! Not soda, not coffee, WATER."

A-Thorson June 6, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "So I am on day 2 out of 5. First day was awful, 20 mins after my first dose I started getting extremely itchy on my throat, neck, and face; my bottom lip flared up and I got really nauseous. I turned the fan on, drank a bunch of water and lied down.I was going to discontinue it but after a good hour all my symptoms went down. I decided to try it again this morning and i'm feeling fine! Still a little burning when I urinate but it is so much better now. Hoping this will work."

Luna Clays June 1, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This is day 2 taking this med. It makes me very queasy and very tired. The nausea and tiredness start about 30 minutes after I take one, and seem to last for 6 or 7 hours. I try to take it with food, but I don't have much appetite (not gonna be mad about that tho). The uti seems pretty much gone, but I'm also taking Azo."

Anonymous May 26, 2016

"Okay took it for a week and broke out in hives and then stopped and put on steroids and now have burning sensation on skin! I hope that. Other meds get out of body soon"

Cocbean May 25, 2016