User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, Sulfatrim Pediatric, Uroplus, Uroplus DS …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

5.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 383 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"I was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI for 10 days twice a day. I noticed after taking the first pill, I would feel pressure near my lower abdomen area. The other sensation was feeling like I had a full bladder after the would pee but I guess that was part of the UTI. Throughout these days, I noticed a loss of appetite and a sense of depression. It’s day 10 and I noticed I lost 5 lbs. not sure if the UTI is gone since I took my last pill today and it gives me pain pressure near my abdomen so we’ll see."

ValleyWoman (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2018

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was having some pretty bad UTI symptoms, so I went to my local urgent care and they gave me Bactrim. Oh my goodness worst medication I’ve ever taken!! I took only one dose at the urgent care. Went home and later that night, I’d say maybe 3-4 hours in. I was so nauseous. I finally got myself to sleep, to only wake up and vomit my guts out many times. Then I wasn’t able to eat for hours. It’s been about 3 days now since I haven’t taken any medication. And my stomach is still in pain, having nausea, gagging, and not able to eat quite the same. Stay away from this drug. It’s not good. It’s very bad for your stomach. Save yourself."

Brittany18 (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2017

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I took Bactrim for 5 days, which resulted in two days of chest pain and a trip to the ER. After five days, I broke out in a rash from head to toe along with swelling of my face, lips, and throat. My mother was also allergic to sulfa medications. So, no more Bactrim for me."

Sulfa Allergy (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2017

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Horrible! I will tell you it does work for a UTI. My UTI is almost gone, but the side effects are terrible. I was doing fine with the medication the first day and now today is my second day.Currently, I am at work jittery, having chills, I had two panic attacks and today I just started having migraines. I am only on this for three days. I have two more pills left. Tried to make it but I don't think I can handle this while working. Not so much dizziness for me just making me really tired. I will be staying on Cephalexin."

NubianQueens December 14, 2017

"I took this antibiotic the second time I had a UTI. I had a quantity of 28 pills, but I was only meant to take 14 in a course of 7 days. (why would they prescribe me 14 more pills !?) So, after my 14th pill, my UTI symptoms never stopped. So I took the 15th pill. Immediately, I broke out in hives and rashes all over my body. so I stopped taking the antibiotic. The rash was so violent and itchy, I had to go to the emergency room where they gave me an IV with saline, benadryl, and steriods to help with my allergic reaction. many other people have allergic reactions on this antibiotic. As if she wanted me to overdose So please, I beg of you to do your research on this antibiotic. It could be life threatening!!"

Naejazz December 11, 2017

"I had a UTI and was placed on this drug. First day of taking this drug, severe stomach pain, loss of appetite, dizziness, headache. Called the doctor and they said well your going to feel sick a little bit, the drug is just fighting the infection keep taking it. Second day of taking it still had a headache, stomach pain, loss of appetite, dizziness, feeling out of it, felt drugged. Third day same thing. Fourth day all the same symptoms but then muscle weakness, and a spiking fever came, I have had the fever the fifth, sixth and also the last day. I’ve been taking advil every 8 hours just to keep the fever at bay. One more pill and I’m done, never ever putting this in my body again. The only benefit is that the UTI is gone."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2017

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I've taken Bactim three times and my UTI keeps returning and now I have to go to a urologist. Not a good time for me as I will be moving very soon and the Bactrim gives me a yeast infection. When will this problem end? Most miserable!"

Anonymous December 2, 2017

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Started on Bactrim for an UTI and after 4 doses, I ended up in the ER. The doctor had thought my appendix ruptured due to the extreme pain and projectile vomiting. It wasn't my appendix, it was the Bactrim. Now, I'm under the care of a gastroenterologist due to vomiting after eating, severe stomach pain, bloating and diarrhea....2 weeks later. She's afraid it's damaged my gallbladder, but I'm currently undergoing testing. I was not on any medication, and had no health problems previously. This whole situation is a nightmare. I don't understand how this medication is still on the market."

BCMS (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2017

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Diarrhea...enough said."

Tummyache (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2017

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "It's the first time I take Bactrim since my mom is usually taking it to cure her UTI. I don't have any prescription regarding my UTI so I tried it since it was recommended by my mom. As far as I know, I don't have allergies with medicine. After 2 hours of taking it, I woke up feeling itchy and my face was swollen. I wont take this med ever again even it cures UTI.."

Mjulnir November 19, 2017

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Loved it! It did its job. On it for 10 days. This drug has been around a long time - Nurses use it all the time for "older" patients. You MUST take it properly with a disciplined regimen. 1) Take some multi-strain probiotics to add back in more good fighter bacteria. 2) Strains should include yeast to prevent yeast infection. 3) Flush (drown) your system with water - shoot for 12 8oz glasses a day. Add lemon to some of the water for kidney health. 4) Take psylliym fiber, prune juice when necessary. Your gut will be very unbalanced while the army of good and army of bad are fighting and you won't know how many "soldiers" you have on each side at any given time."

Zoe1018 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was on 3 different antibiotics none helped to rid the UTI. I was then given bactrim, my second dose I felt so bad I felt like going to the ER. My head hurt day and night, I was nauseous just couldn’t function. I called the doctor, he told me to continue taking it, it is a strong medication. He said if I couldn’t take the pills he would have to give it with an IV antibiotics. I am being told I have this UTI and it is so bad that’s what I have to take. I have no symptoms of a UTI."

Hogput November 7, 2017

"I was I was prescribed this antibiotic yesterday and within a few hours after taking the first dose I felt like a freezing sensation over my entire body. I started sweating really bad and had a freezing sensation in the middle of my upper back. My temperature dropped from 101.8 to 97.6 I’m really scared to take anymore of it. Also the back of my neck is sore and my head has a tingling sensation."

This is painful October 31, 2017

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I used to get UTIs every month or two until I finally started my daily dose of Raw Organic Apple Cider vinegar with “mother” mixed with honey water. It has been the only thing that has helped. I am now on my 8th month of no UTIs! It really surprised me as I’m not big into homeopathic remedies."

Frequent uTI er October 29, 2017

"Worse medication ever. Don’t recommend this to no one: Had nose bleeds. Was cured from my bipolar and start haven’t full blown panic attack repeatedly, weird feelings. Bladder infection got worse. Got back and muscle aches. Need to take it off the market. Need to be banned in the USA "

Bboafo October 29, 2017

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I strongly advise against taking this drug. Many people do not know that this drug has been banned in the UK due to the amount of people that died from it or contracted Steven Johnson Syndrome, which is characterized by your skin falling off. I was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI. Clearly, there were a lot of other options to prescribe a small, 100 pound girl with a minor infection. However, the doctor chose this drug. I took 3 pills out of the 14 that I was given and I had such a severe migraine that I could not open my eyes or chew food. The pain eventually went into my neck and that is when I stated to panic - called doc and was told I had an allergic reaction and stopped taking it immediately."

DaniM October 18, 2017

"I have no real allergies, and I am not allergic sulfur/sulfa. I had a UTI (strep) after passing kidney stones. I drink lots of water with lemon juice in it normally. I took sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim twice daily for 5 days, with a pop-tarts. No problems, UTI completely cleared up."

Jimman (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2017

"I have been taking this medication for 4 days now it has me itching non stop, shortness of breath, really also bad gas. This has been the worse experience ever having a whole body itch is horrible. Maybe I'm allergic to it? This pill needs to be recalled."

Miss. Adams (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2017

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "First time prescribed Bactrim for mild UTI. Second day I had flu like symptoms. After day 4 I was feeling so poorly I went to ER where I was told just flu and to rest and to finish Bactrim so it will clear up UTI. Day 5 fever of 105, rushed to hospital where I passed out. Completely dehydrated and organs where showing signs of sepsis. I was in ICU unit for 3 days. The diagnosis was “allergy to sulfa”. However, that’s not really an allergic response. I think it causes the body to dehydrate faster than normal, and my actual problem was intense dehydration. Bactrim was banned in UK after a number people died. I’ll never take it again."

Anti Bactrim October 14, 2017

"Don't let the bad reviews scare you from taking this drug! I was TERRIFIED of taking it because of all the horrible side effects it came with, but I thought I'd rather suffer temporarily than have my UTI turn into a kidney infection. My doctor prescribed me to take it for 3 days and the only side effect I experienced was fatigue, though it could have just been the lack of sleep I was getting. Other than that I was fine! My UTI symptoms disappeared within hours of the first dose. If you drink lots of water, take it on a full stomach, and watch what you eat, you'll be golden."

anna_13 (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2017

"After reading all the reviews on this drug, I was extremely scared to take it. I was to take it for 3 days. Within hours of the 1st pill, my UTI symptoms diminished significantly. I felt about 90% better! The only side effects I experienced were fatigue and a little bit of chills, but that was it. I always took this on a full stomach with lots of water. I think what helped me the most was watching what I ate. I cut off all sugar, caffeine, sweeteners, etc. and ate a lot of regular oatmeal and greek yogurt. I just finished my pills, so I'll be going back to the doctor to get tested to see if I'm in the clear. So far I'm feeling pretty confident about it. Fingers crossed!"

anna_27 (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2017

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Horrible drug ! I had a migraine for the full three course time I was suppose to take it. I tried ibuprofen 800mg and that didn't seem to help enough . I kept having to take another to kill the pain. Seriously yeah it may get rid of your infection but avoid this drug. Also, I ate bread with a yogurt and my stomach still burned like hell. It felt like there was a ulcer or something . Never taking this again!!!!!!!!!"

ladayblues October 7, 2017

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Didn’t treat my UTI and the medication was taken as prescribed with plenty of fluids. Turned into a kidney infection. BACTRIM doesn't work"

It didn’t work (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2017

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Everyone reacts to drugs in different ways however I will never again take bactrim. I started feeling tired and got a bad headache the second day after taking it. That same night was even worse... I felt nauseous, my head hurt even worse, and all I could do was cry. I felt like I wasn't even in my own body. The medicine definitely messed with my head. It was the worst feeling ever. Now I know to never take bactrim or any other sulfur drugs!"

Va0001 October 5, 2017

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I got a UTI a month ago. I went to a clinic and they prescribed Macrobid and it did little to nothing for my UTI. I then went to my uni campus clinic and they prescribed the same thing (I didn’t know they were the same thing at the time because this time it was the generic version so it had a different name) and again it did nothing. I was so frustrated and in so much pain so finally I went back for a 3rd time and they prescribed me Bactrim and within a couple hours I already felt SO much better. The bactrim did more in a few hours than the Macrobid did in 2 weeks. I did get mild nausea and some fatigue but that’s it. Take it with food and yogurt to prevent this!"

Holly777777 October 2, 2017