User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

5.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 381 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I strongly advise against taking this drug. Many people do not know that this drug has been banned in the UK due to the amount of people that died from it or contracted Steven Johnson Syndrome, which is characterized by your skin falling off. I was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI. Clearly, there were a lot of other options to prescribe a small, 100 pound girl with a minor infection. However, the doctor chose this drug. I took 3 pills out of the 14 that I was given and I had such a severe migraine that I could not open my eyes or chew food. The pain eventually went into my neck and that is when I stated to panic - called doc and was told I had an allergic reaction and stopped taking it immediately."

DaniM October 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have no real allergies, and I am not allergic sulfur/sulfa. I had a UTI (strep) after passing kidney stones. I drink lots of water with lemon juice in it normally. I took sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim twice daily for 5 days, with a pop-tarts. No problems, UTI completely cleared up."

Jimman (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking this medication for 4 days now it has me itching non stop, shortness of breath, really also bad gas. This has been the worse experience ever having a whole body itch is horrible. Maybe I'm allergic to it? This pill needs to be recalled."

Miss. Adams (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "First time prescribed Bactrim for mild UTI. Second day I had flu like symptoms. After day 4 I was feeling so poorly I went to ER where I was told just flu and to rest and to finish Bactrim so it will clear up UTI. Day 5 fever of 105, rushed to hospital where I passed out. Completely dehydrated and organs where showing signs of sepsis. I was in ICU unit for 3 days. The diagnosis was “allergy to sulfa”. However, that’s not really an allergic response. I think it causes the body to dehydrate faster than normal, and my actual problem was intense dehydration. Bactrim was banned in UK after a number people died. I’ll never take it again."

Anti Bactrim October 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Don't let the bad reviews scare you from taking this drug! I was TERRIFIED of taking it because of all the horrible side effects it came with, but I thought I'd rather suffer temporarily than have my UTI turn into a kidney infection. My doctor prescribed me to take it for 3 days and the only side effect I experienced was fatigue, though it could have just been the lack of sleep I was getting. Other than that I was fine! My UTI symptoms disappeared within hours of the first dose. If you drink lots of water, take it on a full stomach, and watch what you eat, you'll be golden."

anna_13 (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After reading all the reviews on this drug, I was extremely scared to take it. I was to take it for 3 days. Within hours of the 1st pill, my UTI symptoms diminished significantly. I felt about 90% better! The only side effects I experienced were fatigue and a little bit of chills, but that was it. I always took this on a full stomach with lots of water. I think what helped me the most was watching what I ate. I cut off all sugar, caffeine, sweeteners, etc. and ate a lot of regular oatmeal and greek yogurt. I just finished my pills, so I'll be going back to the doctor to get tested to see if I'm in the clear. So far I'm feeling pretty confident about it. Fingers crossed!"

anna_27 (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Horrible drug ! I had a migraine for the full three course time I was suppose to take it. I tried ibuprofen 800mg and that didn't seem to help enough . I kept having to take another to kill the pain. Seriously yeah it may get rid of your infection but avoid this drug. Also, I ate bread with a yogurt and my stomach still burned like hell. It felt like there was a ulcer or something . Never taking this again!!!!!!!!!"

ladayblues October 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Didn’t treat my UTI and the medication was taken as prescribed with plenty of fluids. Turned into a kidney infection. BACTRIM doesn't work"

It didn’t work (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I got a UTI a month ago. I went to a clinic and they prescribed Macrobid and it did little to nothing for my UTI. I then went to my uni campus clinic and they prescribed the same thing (I didn’t know they were the same thing at the time because this time it was the generic version so it had a different name) and again it did nothing. I was so frustrated and in so much pain so finally I went back for a 3rd time and they prescribed me Bactrim and within a couple hours I already felt SO much better. The bactrim did more in a few hours than the Macrobid did in 2 weeks. I did get mild nausea and some fatigue but that’s it. Take it with food and yogurt to prevent this!"

Holly777777 October 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was a little worried after reading the reviews... and on top of that my mom had a really bad reaction (fever, horrible chills, etc.). I was a little queasy the first few dose, but it wasn't even enough to keep me from eating. After that I had no side effects at all. Overall my experience was great!"

Liz28 (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Quick reduction of symptoms"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was scared to death to take this medication. I got the Bactrim on a Friday night and didn't have the courage to take it until Sunday night. The horror stories I read about it almost gave me panic attack just thinking about the what if's. Luckily I haven't had any side effects other than my lips burned a bit after the first dose and I was jittery. I am sure to eat a full meal before taking the dose."

Sarahearn22 (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I had a bad UTI and I have taken this in the past and I am now taking it again. I get 4-7 days depending on doctor. It almost always clears it up. If you don't eat like I do then you can get nauseated if you take it on an empty stomach. The pill is huge so I chew it and use a spoon of yogurt and eat it down like that. I wish they made chewable versions or coated versions as it's hard to take but I do take it! The pill is a miracle worker and helps me greatly."

Misslilliana (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have always taken Bactrim for a UTI and it has always worked with zero side effects. I took two every 12 hours for ten days and I'm perfectly fine now. "

Suz44 September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Was prescribed two pills per day for seven days. I could already tell about 5 hours after I took my first dose that my UTI symptoms had improved. Not miraculously, but enough to give me some relief. I went and got some Azo too, but ended up not needing to take it because the Bactrim started to help pretty quickly. I've taken three doses now, and my symptoms are MUCH improved. I will of course continue the full course to make sure the infection is knocked out completely. I haven't really experienced any side effects at all. I think if you follow the instructions to a "T" you will have much fewer, if any, side effects. Take the pill with a meal and at least one full glass of water, then water all day long. It works!"

Pamela789 September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "No health insurance. Went to the ER for UTI and was prescribed Bactrim. UTI symptoms quickly subsided (didn't disappear completely but like 90% better) so that was nice. Then the Bactrim symptoms started. Oh man. I had a different set of symptoms every day. First it was tingly hands and severe fatigue. Then I had a full blown panic attack (depression and anxiety can be made worse by Bactrim apparently so I tried to keep reminding myself of that). Last couple of days I've had headaches and bad nausea. I'm on day 6 of my 7 day course now-- gonna try my best to make it through the whole course but wowww it's tough. I just hope these symptoms clear up once my pills are gone. It got its job done but made me miserable in the process!"

Mega530 September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I'm on my 4th day of the dosage. Since day one of taking it I started vomiting a couple hours of the dose. Been like that ever since, vomiting and diarrhea all day. Today I started eating yogurt after taking it on recommendation of the pharmacist. It has helped some and cut down the severely and frequency of the vomiting and diarrhea but hasn't eliminated it. Can't wait to reach day 7 to be done.. I called the doctor, only thing he said was I had to keep taking it or I'd be admitted to hospital. Screw that I'll deal with the stomach issues. Good luck to you if prescribed it and try the yogurt it helps. BTW, pepto will make you immediately puke if you try to take some while on bactrim. I dunno why, but from my personal experience it does, beware!"

Sick dude August 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI i and after one dose I immediately developed a splitting headache followed later by weakness, body aches, chills, fever, slight nausea, cough and sore throat. I feel as if I have the flu. I suppose the medication did do what it was supposed to do because the UTI feels as if it's almost completely gone (I'm sure it isn't but at least it doesn't hurt). I will say I don't think the side effects are worth it. I'm in a lot of pain and discomfort and I think I'll be going to the emergency room just to be on the safe side."

Cassandra M August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take a daily oral chemo pill for leukemia that gives me muscle spasms, bone pain, and nausea that comes and goes. Unfortunately for me, there are only so many medications I can take that DON'T interact with my chemo pill. With that said I was prescribed this medication to take 2x a day for 10 days. I'm now on day 4, and have had constant pain in my arms and upper back, muscle spasms all over, so sleepy tired, nausea, and no appetite. I dread every single dose of this medication and I still have 6 days to go."

Miserably Medicated (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was perscribed Bactrim for a UTI. Day one I thought I had the Flu. Day 2 I could barely walk. Joints hurt very bad ankles, knees, wrists and shoulders.I stopped taking this medication. Called the doctor to prescribe something else."

Hunter4580 (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have not ever suffered allergies to any meds except this one. My face got really red, itching, wheezing and bad headache. Went by doc office next day to see if this was an allergic reaction. Nurse asked if had fevers and said prob but had not checked. I had just drank some ibuprofen so when she checked it was slightly higher than normal. Nurse said if I could tolerate the medication to continue taking 5 day dosage. I felt so bad by the 4th day (lightheaded/ dizziness, facial numbness, extreme fatigue, depression, body aches, and my right side & back hurt alot). I skipped the 5th dose. I thought I would never feel better again. It took about 2 months to feel better. I found out I am allergic to sulfa meds. Did not clear UTI."

UTI Patient (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Got a pretty nasty UTI ... I've had them before so I knew the drill. Went to the Dr. The infection was confirmed. He prescribed Bactrim DS, twice a day for 7 days. I read the information provided by the pharmacist so I knew what to look for in case of a problem & took the first dose. I did have a few side effects, dizziness, mild nausea, and my blood sugar was off, but the infection felt better by the end of day 1. I can deal with mild side effects if it means fixing a larger problem. Pros & cons to everything! I would take it again if needed."

E.Oliver (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This is my first time commenting on any medicine. Anyways I almost didn't even take this medicine because all of the bad reviews but thank God I did!!! Please don't let these negative comments stop you from taking this medicine. The ONLY side effect I currently have is a bit of nausea and that's only because I do not eat much as I am on a calorie restricted diet. Maybe these people are having bad reactions because of an allergy to sulfa drugs or it is just the symptoms of the really bad UTI . IDK....I'm on these pills and have 1 more day left and it has brought my kidney pain down tremendously. I usually react badly to antibiotics but not these so thumbs up!"

Yoyo90 (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "It worked the first time I had a UTI. No change in symptoms the second time I was prescribed this medication since it is a weaker antibiotic for UTIs. Didn't really have any negative side effects besides not wanting to eat, but I think that was just the demon from hell UTI."

OneWithFrequentUTI's (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "UTI turned into kidney infection then into severe sepsis which is infection of the blood. 4 Days in the hospital on continuous antibiotics. Went home with Bactrim for 7 days. No side effects at all."

Sipress (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017