User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

5.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 381 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI i and after one dose I immediately developed a splitting headache followed later by weakness, body aches, chills, fever, slight nausea, cough and sore throat. I feel as if I have the flu. I suppose the medication did do what it was supposed to do because the UTI feels as if it's almost completely gone (I'm sure it isn't but at least it doesn't hurt). I will say I don't think the side effects are worth it. I'm in a lot of pain and discomfort and I think I'll be going to the emergency room just to be on the safe side."

Cassandra M August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take a daily oral chemo pill for leukemia that gives me muscle spasms, bone pain, and nausea that comes and goes. Unfortunately for me, there are only so many medications I can take that DON'T interact with my chemo pill. With that said I was prescribed this medication to take 2x a day for 10 days. I'm now on day 4, and have had constant pain in my arms and upper back, muscle spasms all over, so sleepy tired, nausea, and no appetite. I dread every single dose of this medication and I still have 6 days to go."

Miserably Medicated (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was perscribed Bactrim for a UTI. Day one I thought I had the Flu. Day 2 I could barely walk. Joints hurt very bad ankles, knees, wrists and shoulders.I stopped taking this medication. Called the doctor to prescribe something else."

Hunter4580 (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have not ever suffered allergies to any meds except this one. My face got really red, itching, wheezing and bad headache. Went by doc office next day to see if this was an allergic reaction. Nurse asked if had fevers and said prob but had not checked. I had just drank some ibuprofen so when she checked it was slightly higher than normal. Nurse said if I could tolerate the medication to continue taking 5 day dosage. I felt so bad by the 4th day (lightheaded/ dizziness, facial numbness, extreme fatigue, depression, body aches, and my right side & back hurt alot). I skipped the 5th dose. I thought I would never feel better again. It took about 2 months to feel better. I found out I am allergic to sulfa meds. Did not clear UTI."

UTI Patient (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Got a pretty nasty UTI ... I've had them before so I knew the drill. Went to the Dr. The infection was confirmed. He prescribed Bactrim DS, twice a day for 7 days. I read the information provided by the pharmacist so I knew what to look for in case of a problem & took the first dose. I did have a few side effects, dizziness, mild nausea, and my blood sugar was off, but the infection felt better by the end of day 1. I can deal with mild side effects if it means fixing a larger problem. Pros & cons to everything! I would take it again if needed."

E.Oliver (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This is my first time commenting on any medicine. Anyways I almost didn't even take this medicine because all of the bad reviews but thank God I did!!! Please don't let these negative comments stop you from taking this medicine. The ONLY side effect I currently have is a bit of nausea and that's only because I do not eat much as I am on a calorie restricted diet. Maybe these people are having bad reactions because of an allergy to sulfa drugs or it is just the symptoms of the really bad UTI . IDK....I'm on these pills and have 1 more day left and it has brought my kidney pain down tremendously. I usually react badly to antibiotics but not these so thumbs up!"

Yoyo90 (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "It worked the first time I had a UTI. No change in symptoms the second time I was prescribed this medication since it is a weaker antibiotic for UTIs. Didn't really have any negative side effects besides not wanting to eat, but I think that was just the demon from hell UTI."

OneWithFrequentUTI's (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "UTI turned into kidney infection then into severe sepsis which is infection of the blood. 4 Days in the hospital on continuous antibiotics. Went home with Bactrim for 7 days. No side effects at all."

Sipress (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Hello all, just thought I'd share my experience with Bactrim. I'm a petite girl- as far as side effects goes I had almost none the first few days, but now on my 4th/5th day I am noticing the side effects appearing! Which are (for me) headaches, constipation (watch what you eat with this or else you'll get blocked up), loss of appetite (I'm not hungry almost at all), and oddly enough pain when I breath in (possibly mild pericarditis). I also can't seem to focus. But nothing too horrible. I take this on an empty stomach every time and it is absolutely fine. BUT- 3/10 pills left and I still have symptoms of a UTI !!! Ugh. So maybe it did not work for me."

123Doodles123 July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Bactrim has always worked for my UTI. I do see a pattern in the complaints about. The bottle doesn't say not to consume. If you mix bactrim with the smallest sip of wine you will get those side effects that I see mentioned. If you take bactrim do not consume any wine, beer, or hard liquor."

Imacble July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"In 2013 I had the loop electrosurgical excision procedure (LEEP) procedure to remove cancerous cells from my cervix. Newer area, new Dr, abnormalities are found again. 2 months of scare & tests, I'm told the cancer is 'fine',I have a cyst on my ovary, they want to remove my uterus due to it making my bladder incontinent & I had a urinary tract infection. I was prescribed this sulfamethoxazole. So after all the drama, I start feeling really nauseous, dizzy, spinning (fear of falling down), no appetite at all, uncontrollable severe itching & red welts (tiny blisters all over-mainly face), severe headaches, severe weakness, tiredness but couldn't sleep, fever, flashes of chills & sweats, twitchy, restless feeling in feet & legs, painful gas & runny stool, red eyes, my whole body aches!!"

Summer Sky W July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"If your allergic to Sulphonamides do not take this medicine I didn't know this until my doctor up my dose from 250mg to 500mg for kidney infection then ended up having major anaphylactic shock I was taking Trimethoprim which contained Sulphonamides I had a blood test done when I went into shock and when I awoke 5hrs later they told me what happened and why so now I wear an sos bracelet to let people know that I cannot be given anything containing SULPHONAMIDES I almost died as my heart stopped 3 times before coming around properly so please find out if you are allergic to anything containing this drug it could save your life "

Shellymay21 July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got this for a UTI at the ER. The next day I had an intense sharp headache that caused me to throw up. I lost my appetite as well and hardly ate for two weeks because I couldn't stomach anything and ended up losing a lot of weight . I also broke out in a terrible painful rash. It was all over my arms, chest, face, and neck. After two days I had to go to my regular doctor for steroids and a change in the antibiotics. The absolute worst experience on any medication, really surprised it's still on the market after reading all the reviews"

Anonymous June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed this medication while in the US Virgin Islands, for UTI. Doctor prescribe me 7 days worth two pills each day. I've been taking the prescribed dose and have not felt much better except for one full the day before yesterday. I'm back in the States now and I'm continuing to take the medication since you should not start taking your antibiotics unless your doctor tells you to but I am going to go to my family doctor tomorrow and figure out why I'm now peeing blood and have small bloody deposits when I urinate."

Agreatmom71 June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My daughter was taking this and the very first night she had horrible stomach pains. I chalked that up to not having enough food in her stomach. She ate more for her next dose and still had some nausea. Then after just after taking 4 pills she felt like she was going to throw up, her heart beat skyrocketed, she got very dizzy and could barely breathe and has pain in her back."

slsals (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got my UTI early. When I first took the medicine I got a light headache but I didn't think nothing of it. After taking the second pill, my whole body started aching, hot flashes, fever, everything. It was so bad that I wasn't about to take care of my child. My husband tried to help but there was nothing he could do. I stayed up until 4 am because of the tossing and turning to get comfortable. This medicine needs to go."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The first day I took this antibiotic I had no bad symptoms. The second day I took it in the morning and felt nauseous but was able to relieve the nausea. At night I took it before bed and woke up at 4am feeling very nauseous. I eventually threw up at 8 am. It is now noon and my stomach still feels very upset. I would not recommend."

I hate this drug (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have had this prescribed to me due to a bladder infection. I took them twice a day for five days. And just now feel like I have symptoms of a UTI. Why is this?"

Lorraine04! (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug needs to go. I was prescribe by my doctor two days ago. I took total of 4 doses. After 15 -20 mins I took each dosage I noticed I starts to have flu like symptoms. Running nose, Fever, Major headache, body ache, and my symptoms are getting worse each day. Not getting better at all. And now I am sitting in my living room writing this review at 2am, because I was do some research about the drug. And found some information on this site. And proves that I am not crazy. I am currently having some bad headaches as we speak. This drug does more harms than good."

John do (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "The first day, I experienced some nausea. Now? I have a sore in my mouth that popped up out of nowhere and one side of my bottom lip is swollen. I'm so sick that I can't eat anything and have zero appetite. I keep getting the shakes and chills that weren't there before starting it. I suffer from anxiety and anxiety is a common side effect with this medication - so now my anxiety is through the roof and it's also caused severe insomnia. I'm constipated, have terrible muscle spasms and cramps in my legs. I've never had an issue with a sulfa drug before but after this I will definitely not take one ever again. It's not worth the side effects/allergic reaction"

Lauren B., Georgia (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm currently on day 4 of these meds and I'm not liking the side effects. I feel anxious, hot flashes, and nauseous. My UTI cleared right up after a day, thank goodness, but these side effects are torture and I want to stop this drug so bad. Should I or shouldn't I? Is there any way to lessen the side effects?"

Hate this drug June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took this medicine 2 pills for 7 days each , no symptoms, no problems, uti gone !! Great medicine !!"

Cv1129 (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I had a UTI finished an entire prescription of macrobid. I noticed as soon as I finished the meds my UTI symptoms came back - so it didn't work for m. I then tried bactrim. The pain went away after 1.5 days of being on bactrim which was a huge relief but it is now day 4 and I am suffering from nausea, cold sweats, chills, insomnia and anxiety. It works for your UTI but the side effects are unbearable after a few days."

Lu1111 May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I took this medication for the first day and I only ate a small breakfast just so I could take the medicine. I was sick all day and felt like I had the flu. So the next day, I are a full meal (so that I was completely stuffed) and no side effects. THIS MEDICINE MUST BE TAKEN WITH A FULL MEAL"

hgghjbcdk May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Severe UTI, lasting a month with one course of antibiotics that did nothing. Was in so much pain, never knew your bladder could pulse! People who have never had it, can't understand that a car journey is your worst nightmare! Now on day five of sulfatrim and symptoms were clear by two days. All I notice is my guts are a mess, slight sickness and a wave of tiredness after taking the tablet. Compared to the misery of a UTI, small side effects are bearable!"

Toaster123 (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2017