User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Septra, SMZ-TMP DS, Co-trimoxazole, Septra DS, Bactrim Pediatric, Bactrim IV Sulfatrim Pediatric Bethaprim Bethaprim Pediatric …show all brand names

Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim has an average rating of 4.3 out of 10 from a total of 612 ratings for the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection. 27% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 54% reported a negative effect.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

4.3/10 average rating

Compare all 291 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

It’ll be okay August 17, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I prayed long and hard, I want to pay it forward so someone else didn’t experience the anxiety that came with looking at these reviews. Know that you’re taking this because you have an infection, and that in itself can make you feel miserable. A lot of these side effects mentioned are parallel with symptoms of a significant infection. So there’s that. Take AFTER you eat. Not a “bite of banana. Eat a good meal- Take with a full bottle of water- I took mine with benedryl due to the fact my skin gets itchy ( not a rash) I also took a GOOD probiotic to counter any gut microbiome disruption. Eat bananas- simple foods- not greasy meals. Avoid extra sun exposure or anything that will zap you. Yes, it can make your stomach a little off, but it was tolerable and I was on it twice a day for 5 days 800mg. I was scared- and I will add have FAITH. Let it go. You’re taking it to heal- it’s not always a happy walk in the park process. Every single person reacts different Hope this helps someone.”

C · Taken for less than 1 month July 8, 2021

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Gave me severe anxiety, I felt like I was psychotic. Panic attack where I could barely even talk, eyes were bugging out. I am not a mentally ill person in any way and I have never felt this way before in my life the way this pill made me feel. I almost didn’t know it was the drug until I checked this website and read that everyone and their mothers have experienced severe anxiety caused by this pill. Doctor told me it doesn’t cause anxiety to continue taking it today so it looks like I won’t be listening to them after reading a web page full of people with complaints of severe anxiety and panic. I also definitely felt like I was losing myself/my mind without knowing why as someone has mentioned on here before. It’s tricky because physically I have not had issues with this pill I was not sick from it so I thought everything was going well, but it really messed with my brain. Do not take this.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 14, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I promised that if I had a decent experience with this antibiotic I would write about it. You will not have any of these scary reactions if you are not allergic or are taking a medication that will interact with this. I have anxiety so I know how it feels to read horrible reviews about meds, but the bactrim worked great for my UTI.”

Leia · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I have an intense phobia of taking meds due to a life threatening experience with another antibiotic, so I've been tuned into any possible side effect forming within my body after reading all the warnings for this med. I was diagnosed with a severe UTI that was starting to effect my kidneys, so my doc said it was imperative I take medication and prescribed Bactrim DS for 7 days, twice a day. I have had 2 full doses, and 24 hours about 70% of my UTI symptoms have disappeared and I have had virtually no negative side effects. Within 48 hours almost completely gone. I do have some very mild itching with no rash or redness that comes and goes. And heartburn (potentially from a combo of taking the med plus cranberry juice that already gives me heartburn sometimes). That's it! Energy is fine, no weird pains, no tummy specific issues, etc. I am only on day 2, so if anything scary happens, I will update that info. So far, I have had a good experience with Bactrim!”

Wow · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2020

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I was on this drug for only 2 days until I had the worst stomach pains ever like it knocked the wind out of me. I had severe diarrhea with mucus and blood that lasted for weeks after discontinued use. It has been a month and I still have nausea with severe abdominal pains, headaches, anxiety, light sensitivity, white bumps on my gums. I’m scared that my organs are damaged which I am currently being tested for. I have never had any of these symptoms before and was perfectly healthy! I am young too. This drug RUINED my life. I would rate this drug in the negatives if I could. Should not be allowed to be prescribed!”

Sadie April 21, 2021

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Let me tell you, I was so nervous to start Bactrim after reading these reviews. I thought for sure I was going to have terrible side effects. Turns out, I’m completely fine. The most I’ve had is some nausea/lack of appetite but I get that with almost all antibiotics. Make sure you eat a meal ahead of taking each pill and drink lots of water. As long as you’re not allergic to sulfa drugs, I can almost guarantee that you’re going to be ok :). Remember, temporary side effects are better than a kidney infection!!”

TJ · Taken for less than 1 month January 21, 2021

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Found this site as I was taking my first Bactrim dose and was concerned about side affects. The first day didn't feel great but I didn't attribute that to the medication. I took med with food, before and after and felt key was to drink a lot of water to flush system. I cut back on coffee intake as well. Completed all meds with no side effects. It cleared the UTI up quickly.”

Jae · Taken for less than 1 month December 23, 2020

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “honestly not terrible. I was prescribed Bactrim 2 doses/day for 7 days after they prescribed keflex (which didn’t work). A little nausea after the first couple doses, some indigestion, some lower back pain. As long as you drink lots of water with the pill and throughout the day the side effects are pretty mild. I had ginger chews and pepto for stomach issues that worked well. Eat a big meal before you take the pill too. kombucha, yogurt, and probiotics during and after the course will help your stomach heal. I would much prefer this over a kidney infection. If you’re having major side effects from day one, perhaps try something different. Everyone reacts differently!”

Lauren2349 January 8, 2020

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI. Felt fine the first day. By day 2, I experienced horrible symptoms or side effects. I was having severe anxiety, nausea, increased heart rate, and shaking in my body. Called my doctor and she said to continue taking it but after reading all of these reviews I’ve decided to stop taking the antibiotics. So scary to see so many other women going through the same thing!”

A-Thorson June 6, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I was scared to take this because I read about people having horrifying side effects...I'm taking the generic form of Bactrim DS 2x a day for 7 days. On day 5 and the only side effects I've noticed are mild gas and a headache. If you're skimming these reviews looking for reasons to be scared, just remember that most of these bad reviews are from people who are probably: A) Allergic to the medicine. B) Not drinking enough water. C) Using alcohol and non-prescription drugs which you are NOT supposed to do while on Bactrim. D) Not taking it with food. Take the medicine with food and a good probiotic and it will help minimize your side effects. Drink LOTS of water and stay out of the sun while on this medicine! Not soda, not coffee, WATER.”

Matt · Taken for less than 1 month April 25, 2020

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I feel like it saved my life. I got my first UTI and it was the most painful thing I've ever experienced. I didn't sleep for two days and was not only peeing blood but peeing clots of blood. My back ached, my hips ached and I was completely exhausted. The morning after I took my first pill, all symptoms were gone. ALL SYMPTOMS WERE GONE. I of course was still exhausted but that was from little sleep the previous days. I had zero side effects. Now I'm back to normal, loving life.”

Julu · Taken for less than 1 month October 26, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “After a week of experiencing painful, and uncomfortably annoying UTI symptoms, I went to the doctor, and was prescribed Bactrim for 7 days. I have no insurance, but I was able to get 14 pills for $7.00 with Good RX. 30 minutes after taking the first pill, the feeling of urgency left. When I went to the restroom, there was almost no pain. I am on my third day, and I am feeling close to normal. The urgency is gone, and the pain while urinating is gone. The only side effects I can say I am experiencing is a slight lost in appetite and a little neck pain and joint pain in my hands. But on a scale of 1 to 10, I would say that those symptoms are at a 3. I see that many of the reviews on this medicine are scary. But just know that everyone's body is different, even to the point of pain tolerance. So what might be okay for one person, might not be so for another. Either way, the benefit of being relieved of my UTI symptoms far outweigh the other risks of side effects.”

Aimee · Taken for less than 1 month July 5, 2021

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “After reading about possible side effects and reading all of the negative reviews for Bactrim, I was scared to take it after the Macrobid failed to cure my UTI. After 7 days of taking Augmentin, which also failed to work and gave me diarrhea, I braced myself and took the Bactrim. I want to report that I had no side effects at all, and it cleared up my infection. I would advise anyone prescribe this drug for a UTI to go ahead and take it, and don’t drive yourself crazy with worry like I did.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 13, 2020

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “This drug is terrible!! Run if the Dr prescribes this. Day 1 I had a headache and aches to my kidneys. Like I could literally feel the pain to my kidneys!! I felt bloated, vomiting, fever of 101, pain to kidneys, jittery and chills. Pls pls don't take it. The ratio of the ones that had no symptoms to the ones who did is a big difference! I took it for 2 days then threw the rest down the toilet. The ONLY good thing was I took 1 dose and the next day felt relief...but still.... eff this stuff!”

Cam September 6, 2020

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Took sulfamethoxazole with trimethoprim for a minor testicular infection. I got very sick. It caused chest pain, shortness of breath, severe headache and sharp pains all over my body. The doctor told me it was in my head and I kept taking it. I eventually ended up in hospital and was so sick I could barely sleep. It’s been a month since I took this drug and while some of the problems are gone, I still have very bad muscle weakness, cramping in my legs, and sharp pains that feel like nerve damage, I’ve seen many doctors all agree that bactrim did something to my system. I urge you do not take this drug, I haven’t had any response from my doctor since I called with all my symptoms. It has gotten so severe I’m starting to think my life might never be the same and I was completely health, 21 year old before this. DO NOT TAKE THIS.”

Vg · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Had not read side effects so did not realize what I felt was caused by the med. My first day on bactrim I had side effects of feeling achy and depressed. By day 3 I was shaking, shivering, anxious, insomnia. By day 5 nausea, dizziness, 100 heart rate, very low blood pressure, extreme anxiety. Pain everywhere, pain in my kidneys, very dehydrated, painful muscle spasms. Day 6 was going to go to emergency room when I realized it could be the bactrim and read side effects. Find it difficult to believe a doctor would give this to anyone. It was horrible.”

Syn · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2020

“First off, do NOT get scared by these reviews. Don't be scared to take a drug that may benefit you. Everybody's body processes medications differently. While someone may have a side effect, you may not. I had ZERO side effects on this medication, and I took it for 7 days. It did what it was supposed to. The people getting rashes and hives are allergic to it. That's not the drugs fault. It's not a death drug, so don't be scared of these reviews, and get better!”

Anonymous August 5, 2011

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I'm very obsessive. Somewhere around a few years ago I started obsessing and being paranoid about medications. So, as I'm sure you are all doing right now, you're looking up reviews on this medication to determine if you'll take it. Just like I did. I almost gave myself a panic attack thinking about possibly taking this medicine and then having a serious allergic reaction. Luckily though, while speaking with my pharmacist he let me know I took this medicine last year and I remembered I was fine. The point is, every medicine has adverse effects. Chances are, you won't have major side effects. ”

Hilly July 1, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Have been struggling with UTIs despite my many and varied preventive measures. Had some back up Bactrim that I tried instead of the Augmentin I was prescribed. On both occasions within a half hour I was in MASSIVE EXTREME discomfort, my vagina was on fire. I assumed I had developed a curiously fast yeast infection and treated it that way but with little success. Having done some research I now see it’s a less common but real side effect, similar to a swollen tongue or hives the vagina is the area affected. Lesson learned but terrible that this side effect isn’t mentioned more commonly, a nightmare.”

Christinadhrt · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2020

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Just like everyone else I was scared to take antibiotic Bactrim because of reviews. I took it with a light snack and a lot of water and was fine. I had a slight headache but I was also stressing about the UTI especially since Valentines day is coming. I was prescribed 2 pills a day for 3 days. I went last night for a urine sample and all is clear. Love that I only had to take this for 3 days. I also didn't get a yeast infection but took Good Belly along with it.”

Lissy Lou · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “This Bactrim stuff is awful!!! Taking for a UTI. I am used to taking cipro, but have stopped due to the nasty side effects of that one. Have been taking the Bactrim for the UTIs instead. Every time I take this stuff I feel weak and dizzy, my head hurts so bad, and I get antsy and stir crazy. I don't want to eat or sleep and the nausea can be overwhelming. This stuff makes me feel like I am going to fade away and die. Once the medication wears off I feel much better, but then its time to take another dose and it starts all over again. Ugh!!! It gets rid of the painful infection, but my I just feel so awful while I am on this stuff.”

UseYourJudgement · Taken for less than 1 month January 19, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Was given Bactrim for my UTI. Read online reviews and was terrified of taking it, especially since I had a severe allergic reaction to Cipro years ago. Literally nothing happened. Some mild stomach issues, a small headache here and there and tons of anxiety (my own doing) but it went pretty well. Symptoms of UTI went away in a day or less. Don't read reviews...you don't know other people's bodies and what conditions they have that contribute to their side effects.”

lollipop69 · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2013

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Bactrim did a great job! My whole lower part of the body hurt and burned, it was awful. I couldn't even walk for a while without feeling strong pain. Going to the toilet was a nightmare and it happened every five minutes. I took Bactrim and the symptoms got worse, but then in two days I was cured. no pain, no nothing. Bactrim is perfect.”

Anonymous September 29, 2012

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I asked my doctor for a different type of antibiotic to take for this urinary tract infection instead of Cipro. This is my second day taking Bactrim for my UTI and I can already see improvement! It feels like the infections almost gone. I do however get a little bit of an upset stomach so eat something substantial just before taking it and drink a few more bottles of water than normal and you will be golden!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 6, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I've had multiple UTI'S in my life so I know what it feels like when I'm getting one. Tuesday night I had symptoms so I went to the doctor the morning after. Got prescribed Bactrim DS. I did what everyone shouldn't do and googled reviews. I was sooo scared to take it but I felt 100% fine. I was a little dizzy when I first took it but I honestly think that it was all in my head. This is the only medicine I take for UTI'S. I suggest taking it with food to prevent nausea. But no dizziness. No nausea. No fever. And my infection feels better already.”