User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

5.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 383 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"Was prescribed this medication while in the US Virgin Islands, for UTI. Doctor prescribe me 7 days worth two pills each day. I've been taking the prescribed dose and have not felt much better except for one full the day before yesterday. I'm back in the States now and I'm continuing to take the medication since you should not start taking your antibiotics unless your doctor tells you to but I am going to go to my family doctor tomorrow and figure out why I'm now peeing blood and have small bloody deposits when I urinate."

Agreatmom71 June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My daughter was taking this and the very first night she had horrible stomach pains. I chalked that up to not having enough food in her stomach. She ate more for her next dose and still had some nausea. Then after just after taking 4 pills she felt like she was going to throw up, her heart beat skyrocketed, she got very dizzy and could barely breathe and has pain in her back."

slsals (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got my UTI early. When I first took the medicine I got a light headache but I didn't think nothing of it. After taking the second pill, my whole body started aching, hot flashes, fever, everything. It was so bad that I wasn't about to take care of my child. My husband tried to help but there was nothing he could do. I stayed up until 4 am because of the tossing and turning to get comfortable. This medicine needs to go."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The first day I took this antibiotic I had no bad symptoms. The second day I took it in the morning and felt nauseous but was able to relieve the nausea. At night I took it before bed and woke up at 4am feeling very nauseous. I eventually threw up at 8 am. It is now noon and my stomach still feels very upset. I would not recommend."

I hate this drug (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have had this prescribed to me due to a bladder infection. I took them twice a day for five days. And just now feel like I have symptoms of a UTI. Why is this?"

Lorraine04! (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug needs to go. I was prescribe by my doctor two days ago. I took total of 4 doses. After 15 -20 mins I took each dosage I noticed I starts to have flu like symptoms. Running nose, Fever, Major headache, body ache, and my symptoms are getting worse each day. Not getting better at all. And now I am sitting in my living room writing this review at 2am, because I was do some research about the drug. And found some information on this site. And proves that I am not crazy. I am currently having some bad headaches as we speak. This drug does more harms than good."

John do (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "The first day, I experienced some nausea. Now? I have a sore in my mouth that popped up out of nowhere and one side of my bottom lip is swollen. I'm so sick that I can't eat anything and have zero appetite. I keep getting the shakes and chills that weren't there before starting it. I suffer from anxiety and anxiety is a common side effect with this medication - so now my anxiety is through the roof and it's also caused severe insomnia. I'm constipated, have terrible muscle spasms and cramps in my legs. I've never had an issue with a sulfa drug before but after this I will definitely not take one ever again. It's not worth the side effects/allergic reaction"

Lauren B., Georgia (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm currently on day 4 of these meds and I'm not liking the side effects. I feel anxious, hot flashes, and nauseous. My UTI cleared right up after a day, thank goodness, but these side effects are torture and I want to stop this drug so bad. Should I or shouldn't I? Is there any way to lessen the side effects?"

Hate this drug June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took this medicine 2 pills for 7 days each , no symptoms, no problems, uti gone !! Great medicine !!"

Cv1129 (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I had a UTI finished an entire prescription of macrobid. I noticed as soon as I finished the meds my UTI symptoms came back - so it didn't work for m. I then tried bactrim. The pain went away after 1.5 days of being on bactrim which was a huge relief but it is now day 4 and I am suffering from nausea, cold sweats, chills, insomnia and anxiety. It works for your UTI but the side effects are unbearable after a few days."

Lu1111 May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I took this medication for the first day and I only ate a small breakfast just so I could take the medicine. I was sick all day and felt like I had the flu. So the next day, I are a full meal (so that I was completely stuffed) and no side effects. THIS MEDICINE MUST BE TAKEN WITH A FULL MEAL"

hgghjbcdk May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Severe UTI, lasting a month with one course of antibiotics that did nothing. Was in so much pain, never knew your bladder could pulse! People who have never had it, can't understand that a car journey is your worst nightmare! Now on day five of sulfatrim and symptoms were clear by two days. All I notice is my guts are a mess, slight sickness and a wave of tiredness after taking the tablet. Compared to the misery of a UTI, small side effects are bearable!"

Toaster123 (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Spent first day sleeping and second too even though I ate something first. The nausea was awful. Third day and I'm still not sure it's working."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Had a severe UTI that wouldn't clear up on it's own so I had a doctor that called in Bactrim. Within 15 minutes of taking it I had severe flu-like symptoms. It is now 3 years later ... I can only eat about 10 different foods due to intolerances and severe allergies to most anything. I cannot tolerate chemicals or outside allergens either. I basically live in a bubble- of pain, fatigue and misery. When people ask what happened to me, all I can say is, I don't know, I took Bactrim and it ruined my immune system. Did the Bactrim clear up the infection? Yep... sure did."

VindictiveKes May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Bactrum did help my infection pretty quickly. HOWEVER, it is one month since I took the last dose and I still have major insomnia. Some nights I don't sleep at all others just a few hours . I would never take this drug again, ever!!!"

Sunset123 May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this drug for three days 2X a day. I have had a horrible experience with this drug. I have had UTI's before and I have never received this one. It gives me the WORST headaches and stomach pain. My body also started to ache real bad. I also cannot sleep at night. I received a yeast infection a couple days in too :( I stopped taking it yesterday and today I still have the headache and my body still aches a lot, my stomach feels a little better but sometimes it still has some pain. All of these comments have have been reading are so true. This drug needs to go!"

efffdrugs May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was taking 2 tablets twice a day. I stopped because I realised this prolonged, dull heavy headache was caused by this. It was lasting days, I don't really get headaches and thought it was something separate. It's now Tuesday and I stopped them on Thursday after a week and a half. Still got the headache (which is really bad and no signs of going) , heavy head, light headedness and bad stomach. I've noticed dehydration symptoms too. Stay away from this it's really bad."

Simbobsimon (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It caused colitis when taking his medication. My doctor wanted me to take it for 1 year, but I plan to stop taking it."

Janie02 May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "After taking the 2nd dose, I began having a very bad burning feeling in my stomach. Then my back muscles hurt. The was no getting comfortable. I also could only urinate once in 10 hours when I had been going about every 2 hours prior. About 10 hours after I took that dose, I finally and unexpectedly vomited. I fell asleep for a few hours and when I woke, my backache was gone and I wasn't doubled over in pain from my stomach. I immediately decided that I wasn't even going to try another dose and called to be put on something different. It's now been 5 days since I took this medicine and my stomach still feels like it has a hole eaten through it."

Karna1962 May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am on my last day of taking this (7 days total). It has taken care of my UTI completely. The only thing that has been happening at the same time is that I can't fall asleep until around 3am every night. I don't know if that is because of this medication or just an issue with my brain not shutting off. I was on my computer trying to find out if sleeplessness is a side affect and ran across these reviews. Anyway, the drug itself has been fine for me. It did what it was supposed to do, cure my UTI. If sleeplessness is a side affect, then I will start getting sleep again. No biggie. :) I also took this same antibiotic last year for a UTI and it cured it fine with no side affects at all."

Robbie 12345 May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking this pill for a UTI and it has made me super out of it due to lack of sleep and sleeping all day. I also usually get very nauseated after my food digests in my stomach. It did clear up my symptoms and I've taken it for five days now, thankfully thats all I had to take. Apparently the meds they prescribed first weren't "strong enough" to kill the bacteria which in itself sounded horrifying, but they assured me that this one will do the trick and it still was only a UTI. The only thing I've had the worst of is probably the nausea when I take it."

Unspecified May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Prostate UTI asked not to be given Cipro as it can cause permanent tendon damage if you are doing repetitive movements. See CBC news article. They gave bactrim. It's a poor substitute. Dizzy, tired, dry eyes, damn slow working. On day 4 of 7 not much better. Cipro is the one of choice for prostate in my experience to work well but it has it's side effects too."

Marduk (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed this for a UTI. Only took 2 pills, one in afternoon and one in the night before bed. Woke up the next morning and couldn't balance at all and had a strange headache right in the middle of my forehead. Didn't take any more pills (thank goodness). It has been 4 days now and the side effects still are persisting. Judging by the other people here, it won't be long before there is a class action lawsuit. I am beyond pissed and wish I would have read this before. Will never make the same mistake again. I have taken antibiotics before for UTIs and have never had any problems, so I didn't think twice this time."

Patri001 April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I don't know what is it with all these users reporting ineffectiveness or side effects. Maybe mostly people who have complaints are the ones who take the trouble to write reviews. I had a UTI, and a few hours after taking the first pill of Bactrim my symptoms started to clear. On my third pill now and no side effects and starting to feel better than I have in weeks."

DABbio (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed this for UTI, after only 2 doses all my UTI symptoms were gone BUT I had a bad sore throat, nausea 24/7, and back pain. I went to the doctor twice and they just told me to keep taking it but i kept feeling worse. Stopped taking it on my own. Hated every second of being on this antibiotic, never again."

student12365 April 19, 2017