User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

5.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 381 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "The ONLY side effect I had from this medicine so far is very slight fatigue right after I take it. Had a pretty bad UTI, took the first dose ( 2 a day every 12 hours) and within a short amount of time there was no more burning, fullness feeling, or pain. I take this for 10 days and I am on day 7. And no dizziness, nausea, vomiting or anything. Don't be afraid to take this medicine BUT! EAT BEFORE YOU TAKE IT!! Like a full meal! I think many people aren't doing this and you should."

Brit431 March 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hello I'm making you aware that this medication can have serious consequences on peoples health. I nearly died from a allergic reaction which caused excruciating pain in my arms causing me to collapse.I am still in hospital after 3 days being stabilised from the reaction."

Zoep March 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was throwing up from this medication, had upset stomach, craziest headache, having chills and difficulty breathing."

KateNY9 March 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this med 5 day dose, 2 pills per day. Well after my third pill I stopped taking them because I've been in SO much pain! I truly don't think I've ever had such bad stomach aches in my life. I plan to drink a ton of cranberry juice to get ride of this UTI. Honestly, I'd rather have a UTI than take these antibiotics ever again. Don't use this antibiotic!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I wish I had read all this information posted on this website before I began taking Sulfa. Had I known about these side effects I would not have taken it. Like many others on this site, this medication landed me in the ER. I was absolutely not able to urinate. My bladder kept filling up but no matter how hard I tied, I could not go. I was prescribed Sulfa for a UTI and given 10 pills to take twice daily. I started the pills on a Friday night, by Sunday night I was in the ER. The absolute worst drug reaction I have ever had. I would rather deal with a UTI than take this medication again."

Cat N Mause (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Prescribed generic Bactrim DS, 2x/day for 3 days. Just took my last dose and minimal side effects. I always ate a big substantial meal before taking this medication even though I had loss of appetite (ate food that had tons of starch). Also, drank tons of water after and throughout the day. I was constantly peeing but at least I knew I was drinking enough. Had minor upset stomach and fatigue but still very functional esp when the pain from UTI was gone. Took a day and half to feel relief."

Urmoot (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I just got sick from now this medication is never going to work for me I took at 3pm and I just got sick at almost 12 am not even sure if the medication passed through my system"

Leila H March 2, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I'm only on my second day of this medication but I feel it is never going to work. I still have mild symptoms and a headache. I'll be heading back to the ER if I don't feel better."

Shalonn B March 2, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Worst medicine ever!!!!! I got this to get rid of my UTI and while taking it I had the worst side effects. Itching, rash, headaches. And I am off the medication finally it's been a week now and I am still getting headache's. I don't know what to do. I wish I never took it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I went to the dr suspecting I had a kidney infection due to high grade fever and severe constant lower back pain. Urinalysis came back clean but the Dr still prescribed me this. To be honest, the side effects from this were much worse than my initial symptoms. My stomach is bloated, constantly gurgling, and in a lot of pain. I feel nauseous and have nonstop diarrhea. Even though I'm terrified of antibiotic resistance, I only took it for 2/10 days and called my pharmacist and asked if I could stop because I was so miserable. A few day without taking it and I'm still experiencing these awful side effects. I'm no stranger to stomach discomfort as somebody with IBS and acid reflux, but these side effects are no joke."

person who regrets taking this (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Nightmare antibiotics!!!!!!!!!!Yes. It took care of uti.......Right away. But!!!!!!!!!I felt tumbling in my entire body, couldn't breath ,felt like I was dying, chocking, and overall felt dizzy as hell....No more!!!!!!!!Theres no way....Do not take it. Try anything else. This is killing product....Disgrace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Lyena February 21, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was given Bactrim for a UTI in November 2016. On day 2 my entire lower half of my body became numb. And I mean all of it including the female parts. I was convinced I had MS, Lou Gehrig disease, or even piraformis nerve entrapment. I looked them all up and never in a million years thought it was related to the antibiotic, never even crossed my mind. Nothing made sense that was happening to me. I had to hold onto walls to walk and the nerve and numbness pain was unbelievable. I had no insurance so really never got checked out. When my mom randomly said her friend had a terrible reaction to this drug I started reading. I put it all together and all of my symptoms are because of this. It is now February and I have 80% of feeling back. But still not in female area or left foot but am hopeful I will continue to improve but takes a LONG time. This is the worst experience I have ever gone thru in my life. And, I HAD taken this drug before so you never know."

SusanBecameParalysis (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I don't normally write reviews about meds, but this time I am writing this review because of the terrible effect of this med. I had recurrent UTI and took this medicine as prescribed 2x a day. Right after the first pill taking up with full stomach, I felt dizzy, sleepless, chest felt heavy I feel hungry most of the time. Third day taking this antibiotic gives me chills, muscle joint pain, lower back pains, terrible headache and sleepless nights, I did not stop coz I feel that I can manage the effect and all I do is to eat & drink water. The UTI seems to be improving having less frequent urination. I went to see the Dr again coz, after the last pill still feeling the side effects. The Dr says need to give 4 days for the med wear off so Dr gave meds for bloatedness"

Romfrompeg February 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I used this and on the third day I was so bloated and my urine out put nearly stopped completely, My breathing was labored. I called doctor and they never got back to me so I cut dosage in half and I was still having symptoms. I went down to a quarter of what the dosage was called for and I am just getting my urine strength back. It was a feeling of like a stone blockage and no feeling or pressure in the urine out put. I was ready to go to an emergency room because I drinking so much and nothing was coming out."

LIman February 13, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was prescribed Bactrim for a UTI. Everything was going well on day 1-2, on day 3, mid day, I began with chest tightness, noticed difference in my breathing. Felt as though the end of my lungs/rib area was extremely sore. It sent me to the ER as I was uncertain what could be causing it. CT scans, tests, and 3,000 out of pocket later, no results showed. Which I'm thankful! they eventually chalked it up to the medication. I immediately stopped it and went back to normal after a few days. Weird stuff! I gave it 5 out of 10 because although it was only three days, the bactrim cleared up whatever it was! Potent stuff"

AAbcdef123456 February 7, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I would not recommend this to ANYONE. I have had bleeding in my urine for over two weeks and the doctors associated it with a UTI. After being given macrobid, and symptoms persisting they gave me septa. I took it for two days twice a day with food was fine, on the third day not so much. I began shaking uncontrollably, dry mouth, I was incoherent to the point I couldn't even understand what people were saying to me, heart was racing, I was dizzy, and extremely nauseous. It literally felt like I had been roofied (drugged up) . I don't even remember half the night and I had horrible insomnia. I don't even understand how this is on the market. Would never EVER take this again."

Confused and dazed February 3, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "On day five of a 10 day course I noticed a rash on my face. Over the next 12 hours it would cover my entire body. It didn't itch it burned!! Doc said benadryl wouldn't help so I needed a steroid shot. I was also very dizzy and tired on this medication. If you have never taken Bactrim and aren't sure if you are allergic to sulfa drugs, I would just take something else."

SunnyintheD (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Sulfatrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This antibiotic worked quickly to clear up UTI. However, I had extreme gas and constant headache. Severe chest pain so bad that I went to ER thinking I was having a heart attack. Would not take again."

Raken (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took this medicine for a UTI and right after I took my first dose I felt dizzy and ended up passing out and needing to go to the ER. I would not recommend this medicine because now that I have researched it, I found that a lot of others have had the same experience with it. Try something safer and more well known."

jennylucia (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Started taking Cipro for a bladder infection but had some bad side effects in the tendon in my right hand. Went back to the Dr. And he gave me Bactrim(Septra). I took it for 3 days in total before I had to stop. The symptoms literally made me feel like I was dying. I had a really foggy head, headaches, dizziness, I almost passed out one day. I got zero sleep the whole time I was on it. My joints hurt in the night, my skin got really itchy and developed a rash, I also developed extreme anxiety and I felt like I was having a heart attack with the palpitations. I was close to panic attack that's when I said enough is enough. I've never had a reaction like that and I have trouble remembering those days. It was a blur of pain and confusion."

Joebbbb1 (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have been on Septra for about 5 days now & still no relief!! I'm EXTREMELY nauseous & I can't sleep through the night because the pain is that bad. I'm on my way back to the Emergency Room."

Alyssa Hubbs (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It's the worst medicine I ever had. I started to take Trimethoprim 2 days ago and I feel horrible. It made me dizzy and nauseous. I wouldn't recommended it to anyone - it's worst than UTi"

Koralik (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Back in 2011, after having and IUD and having several back to back UTI's I had to see a specialist. This specialist prescribed Bactrim. Well on the third day of taking this medicine, I woke up, tried to get out of bed and fell to the floor. I realized I couldn't walk, couldn't see straight and I felt very weak. I ended up having to go to the Emergency room only to find out that this medicine was taking the blood and bone marrow out of my body. I had to have two blood transfusion after this medicine."

1Amazingchica (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 24, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this after going to get a checkup because I knew something was off, but I had no UTI symptoms. I have just spent the last 24 hours shaking, with tremendous headache, nauseated, chilled, and with insomnia. I would not recommend this medicine to a sensitive female. I cried until 2 am, and finally fell asleep. I have abdomen pain bloating which was not there before, and it feels like a yeast infection is festering. I am going to go back to my cranberry, water, and oregano oil methods. I also read about d-mannose but that looks more preventative. Probiotic too."

Tortured (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This is an awful medication and I recommend it to anyone. Went to the ER for stomach pain to find out I had a bad UTI. Took 1 pill that the doc gave me and was completely fine. Took the next pill 12 hours later, with some saltine crackers and a bottle of water. 4 hours later, I was shakey, nauseated thought I was going to throw up, my heart rate sped up, I had a fever (did go down with ibuprofun), had a minor rash on my cheeks, headache. Now marks 6 hours after taking it. laying down with towel over head, took benedryl to help with rash. Nausea has eased some, heating pad helps, rash is not as red. Going back to ER tomorrow for a different medicine. I'd rather take Amoxicilian, never have any reactions with that."

Savii December 18, 2016