User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 384 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"Dr. Prescribe for UTI, this almost cost me my life. Migranes, chills, dizziness, chest pain,nausea, indigestion. It was so bad i ended up in the ER with cardiac type symptoms, long story short i ended up having to do a heart cath which turned out ok. Whatever you do run the hell away as far as you can from this medication!!!"

martymar July 23, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "PA gave me this drug took the pain away but left me with diarrhea the first day. The second day I took my dose, afterwards I got weak and lightheaded and could not eat. I called the office and they said I could discontinue use if I wanted to so I did."

Nhhhh23 July 18, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This is an amazing drug, I've never had any side effects besides that one where my bladder infection went away, if your reading people's posts who have horrible side effects they probably have an easily upset stomach. Don't eat or drink water. In most people these don't cause side effects when properly taken. Or allergic! I wouldn't be too worried."

Mitsubishi22345667 (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2016

"I immediately got worried because of the many negative reviews for this drug. But I decided to just take it and see what happens. I was to take it 2X daily for 3 days. The first day that took it, I felt a little nauseous and a little off, but nothing major. The second day I felt totally fine after taking the 2 doses for that day. Today I am on the last day, I feel MUCH better (I can still feel slight burning when urinating is not totally gone but definitely a big difference than when I started). I am hoping that after this last pill all pain and irritation will be gone. Antibiotics work differently for everyone, so my advice is don't get freaked out by all the negative reviews. I normally don't even write reviews but I felt the need to"

Dsid July 9, 2016

"I did not like this at all! Was put on 5 days of this antibiotic. It worked the first day but my last day taking them the burning and frequent urgency came back. It's just as bad as when i first started taking them. And I've been getting crazy headaches! I never get headaches and based on other reviews i believe it's this medication."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Prescribed Bactrim for a UTI. One hour after first dose I was in bed with excruciating leg pain. Migrain and nausea followed. Leg pain lasted for 12 hours. Should have went to the ER."

Bad experience June 20, 2016

"I am on day 2 of trimethoprim and I am still with a little pain and still have blood on my urine. I had the worse migraine this morning and my vision was blurry! It was terrible! Now I feel like I'm too awake to sleep and also very constipated! Worse ever!!"

Lizzy Alibe June 18, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "My experience was horrible!!!!!! Perscribed 2 pills a day for 3 days. After the last pill, I started feeling strange and had servere headaches from the time I started taking it until a week later. I didn't think much of it until I went home from work and didn't leave the couch. I had no appetite, constipated, sweating and chills, I wanted to puke, my eyes hurt so bad. Couldn't shake whatever was going on and drank as much water as possible. My body was sore I slept almost an entire weekend away. I can't tell if my UTi is completely gone or not because I'm still constipated and it hurts! I've never had an antibiotic like this and I never want it again! All my doc told me was to keep pushing fluids and eat yogurt. Good luck people."

Anonymous June 8, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was scared to take this because I read about people having horrifying side effects...I'm taking the generic form of Bactrim DS 2x a day for 7 days. On day 5 and the only side effects I've noticed are mild gas and a headache. If you're skimming these reviews looking for reasons to be scared, just remember that most of these bad reviews are from people who are probably: A) Allergic to the medicine. B) Not drinking enough water. C) Using alcohol and non-prescription drugs which you are NOT supposed to do while on Bactrim. D) Not taking it with food. Take the medicine with food and a good probiotic and it will help minimize your side effects. Drink LOTS of water and stay out of the sun while on this medicine! Not soda, not coffee, WATER."

A-Thorson June 6, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "So I am on day 2 out of 5. First day was awful, 20 mins after my first dose I started getting extremely itchy on my throat, neck, and face; my bottom lip flared up and I got really nauseous. I turned the fan on, drank a bunch of water and lied down.I was going to discontinue it but after a good hour all my symptoms went down. I decided to try it again this morning and i'm feeling fine! Still a little burning when I urinate but it is so much better now. Hoping this will work."

Luna Clays June 1, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This is day 2 taking this med. It makes me very queasy and very tired. The nausea and tiredness start about 30 minutes after I take one, and seem to last for 6 or 7 hours. I try to take it with food, but I don't have much appetite (not gonna be mad about that tho). The uti seems pretty much gone, but I'm also taking Azo."

Anonymous May 26, 2016

"Okay took it for a week and broke out in hives and then stopped and put on steroids and now have burning sensation on skin! I hope that. Other meds get out of body soon"

Cocbean May 25, 2016

"I started taking sulfamethoxazole on my third day of having a UTI for the second time in my life and the first two days I was taking cranberry pills and drinking tons of cranberry juice and water, so by the time I started the antibiotics I was almost already healed. The first day I took sulfamethoxazole I felt my heart racing all day and at night it continued and I couldn't sleep until 4. Same thing went on for the next few days except it got worse and I would just lay in bed with my heart racing until 6 in the morning. I stopped taking the antibiotics after 4 days because my UTI went away but my heart wouldn't stop racing and I ended up suffering from insomnia for about 2 weeks. It is because of this antibiotic bc I've never had this issue"

allyzick (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Never again, first 10'days macrobid. Still had infection. Put me on bactrim. I was so sick after day 5. I missed 7 days of work, I think 10 days was to much. Had loose poop, neasea every day, dizzy, loss 7 lbs in 7 days and the worst was the dry eyes and mouth. I felt like poo. I thought I would end up in hospital. It even made me depressed! Never again!"

myuti (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This was amazing! I had my first UTI this morning I had frequency and irritation after I urinated. I took Bactrum about an hour ago and I'm was in so much pain until a couple minutes age when the medicine kicked in! I feel so much relief and I have less urge to go! UTIs are terrible and I'm so sorry for everyone who has gotten one but I'm also glad that there is medication to treat it and that it works this fast!!!"

Lizzie12345 May 7, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I am the type of person who is sensitive to chemicals, smells, sounds, etc. I rarely need meds and recently had to take bactrim ds for five days due to a UTI. I was sooo nervous about taking it. I was convinced I would be allergic to it, or at least have side affects. Well, all that worrying was for nothing. I took it as prescribed for five days with no problem at all! I hope you do well on it too if you need it!"

Patun1a (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2016

"I gave it a 2 star rating. 1 star more than I planned and that's because it worked but too many side affects that were exasperating to deal with. It lowered my blood sugar and I was having to constantly combat the affects. Headaches, aches and pains, and lastly constipation. I didn't have a bm for 4 straight days. I usually have 1/day."

Gigi 2016 May 4, 2016

"I had this medication about a month ago with no side effects. This time I have theeee worst nausea and headaches. I did take it on an empty stomach and I took excedrin. My birthday is in 1 week. And I can't drink while on it. It's my 21st btw"

Anonymous May 1, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I put my self on Bactrim thanks to the internet, 3 or 4 years hematuria,dr, say mild infection ok keflix.,Cipro.macrodantin.rucefin,not sure of spelling none worked. Bactrim seems to have nailed but will wait and see, took for 12 days no side effect at all. old school is better,than the new all all purpose meds , here's hoping"

wright 1 April 14, 2016

"I had bad abdominal pain under my naval and sharp dull pains in my pelvic area for what seems a good week or so. Took a UTI test at home, and came back as a possible UTI. Called the doctor and she put me on Cipro, all in all. After the first day, I was having chest pains in my left side and in the middle that were constant and wouldn't go away. I switched from Cipro to Sulfamethoxazole, and all my symptoms from before taking any medication have gone away. Except I've been peeing a WHOLE lot, I've had a loss in appetite, and I have felt nauseous and bad headaches. Little to no back pain, unless the usual, sitting for too long."

Lexie O April 12, 2016

"I am on my first day of this pill treating a uti...i got the worse migraine ever..took excedrin to rid the pain..i am still feeling abdominal discomfort but will continue this 5 day treatment..cipro worked for me many years ago...i should have used that"

Anonymous March 31, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Hey you, yeah, you reading this review. Take a breath. If you're speeding through all of these experiences, you're probably looking for potential side effects and reactions of other people. I know, because I'm just like you. I can tell you the first day I took Bactrim, I had a horrible migraine. The worst I've had in months. But guess what--I also didn't drink coffee that day after having a constant intake for weeks. I had other problems like chills, but wait, I got this medicine for an infection! So many symptoms people experience are likely a result of other things. My uti went away. I drank lots of water and milk with it. Other than experiencing a few more headaches, and a bit of tiredness, I was fine."

Liz.Pag (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2016

"I went to the ER for pain in my lower back & my stomach. The Dr said I had an UTI which I didn't think that was the case cause I didn't have the symptoms of a UTI. Anyways, I started using the pills (Antibiotics) & about an hour of using it I felt nauseas, dizzy & started vomiting,itch all over my body & also I lost my appetite. I throw the pills away, I don't recommend them at all. I never have been allergic to any medication in my life."

Luz M. March 22, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Worked after three does, but that is when the headache started. No relief from headache with Tylenol or Motrin. I'm going to ask dr. For different drug. Also seemed to get chapped lips, dry hands, and did get low blood sugar accompanied by sweating on third day on this medicine. UTI seems to be cured though."

Where's the john March 20, 2016

"I took this medication for a uti i had, it helped but after the 3rd day out of a 7 day dosage I started to get a rash under both my armpits and it started to burn when I would pee which it was suppose to fix."

Anonymous February 26, 2016