User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

5.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 377 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Sulfatrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This antibiotic worked quickly to clear up UTI. However, I had extreme gas and constant headache. Severe chest pain so bad that I went to ER thinking I was having a heart attack. Would not take again."

Raken (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

"I took this medicine for a UTI and right after I took my first dose I felt dizzy and ended up passing out and needing to go to the ER. I would not recommend this medicine because now that I have researched it, I found that a lot of others have had the same experience with it. Try something safer and more well known."

jennylucia (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Started taking Cipro for a bladder infection but had some bad side effects in the tendon in my right hand. Went back to the Dr. And he gave me Bactrim(Septra). I took it for 3 days in total before I had to stop. The symptoms literally made me feel like I was dying. I had a really foggy head, headaches, dizziness, I almost passed out one day. I got zero sleep the whole time I was on it. My joints hurt in the night, my skin got really itchy and developed a rash, I also developed extreme anxiety and I felt like I was having a heart attack with the palpitations. I was close to panic attack that's when I said enough is enough. I've never had a reaction like that and I have trouble remembering those days. It was a blur of pain and confusion."

Joebbbb1 (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have been on Septra for about 5 days now & still no relief!! I'm EXTREMELY nauseous & I can't sleep through the night because the pain is that bad. I'm on my way back to the Emergency Room."

Alyssa Hubbs (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2016

"It's the worst medicine I ever had. I started to take Trimethoprim 2 days ago and I feel horrible. It made me dizzy and nauseous. I wouldn't recommended it to anyone - it's worst than UTi"

Koralik (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Back in 2011, after having and IUD and having several back to back UTI's I had to see a specialist. This specialist prescribed Bactrim. Well on the third day of taking this medicine, I woke up, tried to get out of bed and fell to the floor. I realized I couldn't walk, couldn't see straight and I felt very weak. I ended up having to go to the Emergency room only to find out that this medicine was taking the blood and bone marrow out of my body. I had to have two blood transfusion after this medicine."

1Amazingchica (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 24, 2016

"I was prescribed this after going to get a checkup because I knew something was off, but I had no UTI symptoms. I have just spent the last 24 hours shaking, with tremendous headache, nauseated, chilled, and with insomnia. I would not recommend this medicine to a sensitive female. I cried until 2 am, and finally fell asleep. I have abdomen pain bloating which was not there before, and it feels like a yeast infection is festering. I am going to go back to my cranberry, water, and oregano oil methods. I also read about d-mannose but that looks more preventative. Probiotic too."

Tortured (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This is an awful medication and I recommend it to anyone. Went to the ER for stomach pain to find out I had a bad UTI. Took 1 pill that the doc gave me and was completely fine. Took the next pill 12 hours later, with some saltine crackers and a bottle of water. 4 hours later, I was shakey, nauseated thought I was going to throw up, my heart rate sped up, I had a fever (did go down with ibuprofun), had a minor rash on my cheeks, headache. Now marks 6 hours after taking it. laying down with towel over head, took benedryl to help with rash. Nausea has eased some, heating pad helps, rash is not as red. Going back to ER tomorrow for a different medicine. I'd rather take Amoxicilian, never have any reactions with that."

Savii December 18, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was prescribed Bactrim DS for a severe UTI and 7 day twice a day schedule. On the second day of dosage, I began having Flu-like symptoms such as dizzy spells, nausea, aches, weakness, and I felt so sick, I thought I was going to die. I felt worse each day and by the 6th day of dosage, I had to return to my doctor. He said I must have had a severe allergy to this medicine. He gave me a shot of antibiotics and prescription of 500 MG Amoxicillin. I am finally feeling better. The Bactrim did not work on me. They put a note in my chart to not prescribe Bactrim to me again. I think that some people have allergies to this, I know I do. Hope my story helps you."

Annie the techie December 17, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have taken this medicine off and on many times, works wonders, I always have refills if it comes back! It's definitely my go to!"

Rigley December 15, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This did not work. It made me dizzy and tied my stomach in knots. Provided absolutely no relief for my UTI."

Satyr (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I'm on day 2 of treating a urinary tract infection. I have been trying my best not to puke. I'm so nauseous, tired, and dizzy. I've had an irritation from my UTI it hasn't cleared up yet, so I will have to see what the rest of the week brings. I've never had problems with antibiotics before."

Melabie December 12, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "was prescribed this and took night before flying back east. 2nd pill during flight. I thought my face was really dry from airplane because it was really itchy. I had no lotion so ignored it. The 3rd pill that night and itchy face felt like wind burn, despite tons of lotion. The 4th pill in morning but face felt swollen and a little numb, especially around lips. So I called the doctor...told to stop taking it and that symptoms should go away next day. It's day 3 after stopping and face is better but still numbness feeling by lips. The half-life for the medicine to leave body should be over by now (well in a few hours). I assume it will eventually go away but will never take this again."

hate this (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I'm on day 7. It's the third antibiotic I've taken in 2 months. I pray it worked. I wanted to tell people to take good PROBIOTICS and it will keep the itching away. I take keffir It's like a probiotic yogurt smoothie w billions of good bacteria per serving in the yogurt section. I've also used Pill form probiotics "

Leslie1978 December 7, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I've had many UTI's in the past but usually keep them at bay by taking cranberry pills daily. Well, I slacked and got a UTI. I think I've taken Bactrim before but I don't ever recall feeling like this. I was fine this morning but by noon was very shaky. I felt hungry and nauseous at the same time. Forced myself to eat and felt slightly better but couldn't focus on work and am feeling down in the dumps (depressed?). I also had trouble sleeping last night. Oh and my pee still burns after 2 doses. So if the symptoms don't improve by tomorrow I'm going to see about switching to something else."

VR1979 November 14, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I hope my information can help someone! Here's my story I was put on Bactrim for 7 days for a uti. It helped my symptoms but my urine looked off, I finished the course there was blood in my urine but no infection. Uti symptoms back. I went to doc and begged for another course of Bactrim. I had bladder spasms and that urine color came back. I thought I was doomed for IC. weird until I researched and found out that Bactrim can cause bladder spams and blood in urine! I stopped the antibiotic (ask doc first) and decided to detox my liver with tumeric tea(recipe online) currently symptom free!! Not sure why docs prescribe this if side effect is drug in urine could be dangerous if you think blood is from infection! (For me it was dark tea color"

Tamchack (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "My 3 yo boy having Bactrim for 5 days and look like I doesn't work at all , still having symptoms ' fever , shivering ....' going back to GP today to get another antibiotic..... so depressed now ;-("

Depressed dad (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2016

"The medicine is absolutely horrible! After the first two hours of me having only one pill in my system my whole body hurts, I have a headache. I'm running a fever, I can't even walk. My legs and arms are numb and tingling and are in so much pain . I do not recommend at all! It's worse than my UTI."

Anonymous November 5, 2016

"I've been taking it for two days now, I have one more day left to take this medicine. On the first day I got a pretty strong headache and took some advil which it did react to. Second day, this morning, I woke up with a migraine, took 3 advil. after a few hours migraine then degraded to a bad headache. UTI symptoms have gotten better, headache is getting worse. I've never had a migraine before today. The last time I had a UTI I was prescribed something different, I'm not sure what but I did not suffer any side effects."

itHurts November 2, 2016

"I am currently suffering from recurring cystitis and UTI's. This is my first experience of taking Trimethoprim and after taking the 3rd tablet I became quite unwell with flu like symptoms, fever, headache, chills, whole body aching, loss of appetite. Because of how terrible I was feeling I didn't want to continue the course for fear it was the pills causing the illness. Is that possible? Or could I just be that I am run down and immune system was low?"

Papluski October 30, 2016

"Ive been taking this medication for 5 days straight twice a day, today (the 5th day) I couldn't take the last pill, I've been having nausea, fatigue, and a terrible headache for 5 days straight. I also had bright red eyes and I couldn't sleep because it all hurt so much, and my lower back is very sore, the uti had gone away so I figured not taking it would do more good than bad. Worst experience with a medication I've had, it got the job done but the side effects are terrible especially when you're a straight A student needing to keep up with school."

16yrold October 27, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I had UTI, usually it goes away with OTC Azo and water, but this time I could not get rid of it. So I went to the ER. They gave me Bactrim. 2 a day for 5 days. I took the entire round of them and nothing changed. The medicine itself made me sick as a dog. I could eat with it or not eat with it and it didn't matter. I was still so nauseous. It gave me chills and made me dizzy as well. I wouldn't give this to my worst enemy!"

Finally Peeing Polly (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2016

"Was taking 2x for 3 days, it cleared up the smell but still in major discomfort and pain when peeing, clearly didn't work for me. I had a headache on the 2nd day and kept falling asleep due to drowsiness. Third day nothing has really improved with my UTI and I still feel psychically weak."

not for me! October 25, 2016

"I had a urinary tract infection that would not go away with increased water and real cranberry juice. Went to doctor and got this bactrim. 2 pills for 7 days. First day after taking I became light headed. Felt like the energy was being drained. Had a mild head ache. Second day my headed was pounding from the front and sides. Felt a lot of pressure in my ears. Very thirsty. Unable to focus on any type of paperwork and any standing, lifting and walking movement made me feel weak like I was going to passout. The symptom relief was instant from bactrim but the side of effects is very concerning because you feel extremely bad like the medicine is to powerful or not good."

Normally okay (taken for less than 1 month) October 22, 2016

"Took this for UTI nausea and bad headaches kicked in within an hour of taking every pill. Did work for UTI but I would not take this again."

S Meads (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2016