User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 431 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Acne

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Bactrim ds works for me. I had cystic acne all over my face and body it was so scary .I only work and stayed in the house but as soon as I stop taking this medicine I got acne back all on my face."

Cassandrap September 26, 2016

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I took this medication SMZ/TMP for acne/scars on my face. I had a very severe allergic reaction. My face was swollen and lips. My hands swelled up. I had terrible pains in my wrists up to my arms and pain in my stomach/abdomen. This happened after taking it for around a week. My dad had to drive me to the Emergency Room because I couldn't swallow and was almost choking. I was so scared. I warn anyone going on this medication to think twice. I had no idea I would have an Anaphylaxis reaction to it. Very serious. It was Hell going through this and I really thought I would die. I didn't know what was happening to me as I was choking in my sleep. My mom looked up the side effects and that's when we found out it was a terrible reaction."

L 1995 September 13, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Before trying Bactrim, I had attempted a number of treatments. The last I had tried before it was Accutane, which I took for 5 months and which benefited me only for a short while. After my acne returned, my dermatologist suggested I try something different, and gave me a prescription for Bactrim. I was so happy as I didn't break out when I started it and it had cleared the acne from my face for an entire year. This month however the acne returned and it couldn't have done so at a worse time - I have planned a 2 month trip to South America with a group of friends. I can no longer rely on Bactrim and will need to find an alternative (I feel like I've tried every 'solution' there is)."

Jack Smithers August 31, 2016

"When I was in high school, people would notice how great my skin was. In junior high, I started getting one to a few small pimples and then they turned into big bumps. I was crying and even praying they'd go away. I did a lot of research from natural remedies to medications, but boy nothing ever worked like this one has, and still is working for me. It came to a point I don't care anymore if I was washing my face twice a day, after 2 to 3 weeks my skin's clear. Although scars are still there, but at least, I can wake up each day only to mind those scars and not anymore with those big ones that I know that have pusses inside. Even those scars I had at my back's just gone. I'd rather try this than accutane. Try it. It's a Godsend for me."

31mAsia (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 28, 2016

"I've tried a bunch of topical medication and 8 months of tetralysal and nothing really worked. I'm now on my third month of Trimethoprim and I'm very happy with my skin. I still have a breakout here and there but nothing compared to what it was before. I'm very happy with it!"

Csivol (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "As far as acne treatments go that are effective AND affordable Bactrim is a God send. Late 20's I started mildly breaking out. By age 30 I was getting deep painful cystic pimples. Running/ exercising especially made my condition worse. Bactrim DS improves acne within 24 hours.The redness and swelling is not near as noticeable. After about a week you will notice a close to clear complexion that almost glows...I had moderate acne, but I imagine that Bactrim will work for ppl who have severe acne as well. It does have serious internal esp on kidneys and liver bc it is a sulfa drug so you should drink a lot of water every day with this medicince. Do not drink alcohol while taking Bactrim, good luck!"

Anonymous July 22, 2016

"I took sulfamethoxazole all throughout high school and my first year of college and throughout that time my skin was crystal clear. No itty bitty clogged pores, no papules, no white heads. Couldn't have been more perfect. Except for the fact it made me incredibly nauseous in the morning. Also it made me constipated, and whenever I did do a BM it was mushy and watery. It also made me quite bloated. But ever since I was taken off this medicine for those reasons in Dec/15, my skin has been a wreck. I was put on minocycline and it hasn't worked the same. If anything, this is the worst my skin has ever been. I'm thinking about asking my doctor to put me back on sulfamethoxazole and to just suffer through the nausea. What we do for beauty!"

EmShBu (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 22, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have tried nearly every antibiotic (doxy, mino, ampicillin, etc) for acne prescribed by 3 dermatologists over 5 years. The only one that worked was doxycycline, which stopped working after 4 months. Then I tried bactrim which cleared my moderate-severe teenage acne gradually (and noticeably) over 1.5 months. Deffinetly the most effective one out there besides accutane."

Dylanyan (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was struggling with really bad cystic hormonal acne and frequent white heads. I looked horrible and felt depressed inside. I couldn't look anyone in the eyes. Acne has really sunked my self esteem. When I was on this for a week.. let me just say.. This works!! (For me) I tried everything there is.. Proactiv, antibiotics, eating better, going to a naturalist. This pill, in 2-3months, cleared my acne. It was like a miracle. I'm so thankful for it and it only costs me $8. It saved my life basically!!"

Xellie July 18, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This medication DID work, but unfortunately after only one week i was one of the unlucky few who found out they were allergic. I broke out in a rash ALL OVER my body. I stopped immediately. It sucks cause it was making my skin kinda glowy. But its not worth it if your allergic. If your not, then it would probably be perfect."

HavenHolllows June 30, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Dermatologist put me on Bactrim DS, to be taken twice a day with food. No side effects in the first few days and did a good job at clearing up my face. Currently I am on the 9th day and experiencing severe side effects. Fever, chills, extreme joint pain, muscle weakness and overall sluggishness. Also experiencing difficulty breathing, a tight chest, headache, and dizziness to the point of almost falling over, for no reason. The most severe of the side effects is the joint paint. Can hardly take a step on my right leg and cannot lift anything with my right arm. Bactrim does it's job however at the expense of your health. Please do your research before starting this drug!"

B.A June 8, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I could tell it was working within 24 hours of taking it. Just be sure to eat with every dose, it's hard on the stomach!"

Laynepecv April 2, 2016

"Only thing that works for my acne. I'm 99% clear now and much more confident. Life changing! Just be sure to eat healthy and take a probiotic every morning and evening."

Young Adult Man March 20, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I tried almost every topical an acne sufferer can get from drug stores, from natural to other kinds of drugs for acne, but none ever worked. My acne is moderate to severe type of acne. I am not saying that this medicine will work for you same way it does for me, but you should consider it when you talk to your Doctor. I've been taking this medicine for over a year now and I can't be any more clearer. I used to get tiny whiteheads all over my face, like when I try to pinch my skin, you can squeeze them out like small pieces of oil that became oxidized and yellow. Before I got this medicine, almost every day of my life I'd have to deal with new bumps just after one healed. My face is scarred, but this is the best one I have tried ever."

Leonardel February 8, 2016

"I've been on this med for 2 weeks so far and will be continuing for about a month ...I have some bacterial acne since the birth of my second child :( and I couldn't handle it anymore !!) I feel so bad for all the people with bad experiences but I have to say I've had none...and I take the full dose twice a day I have had a wee headache a few times but nothing an advil didn't cure, so I guess use at your own risk? But working great for me personally"

Ta ta (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Didn't do anything for me. I still have severe acne like always. It's been 2 years but no fix. Tried doxycycline, minocycline and this. None of them ever worked. I also have super oily skin and this medicine doesn't fix that. It only kills the bacteria, which in my case is not a big problem. Oily skin is giving me acne. Plus I was applying erythromycin 2% on face. Nothing happened. Took it for a month. Finally going on Accutane soon. It was the last resort for me."

Omairali December 15, 2015

"This combination of antibiotics changed my life. Amazing is an understatement. It's not good for your liver to take it for more than 6 months continuously. So I've been on-and-off of it for 4 years now. It's the only antibiotic that cleared my face from acne. It changed my life. I hope it does the same for you."

GraceDNA December 14, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "During college, as an athlete, I experienced a surprise acne issue. But it was relentless in college, never anything serious, but enough to frustrate me. I was prescribed bactrim my junior year and had unbelievable results. It cleared within weeks and if by chance, I ever broke out, the break outs were so minimal and healed so quick. I stayed on it for about a year and then came off of it because I had no more problems. My face stayed pretty good, here and there during the time of the month, but that was it. I just went back on it,a year and a half later, due to frustrating break outs around my chin. Again, nothing serious but I know that Bactrim works so why not! 2 weeks later, clear skin!! TRY IT"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 11, 2015

"I'm 18 and I've had acne for since I was 13. I have had various different treatments starting with the cream duac then when I needed my prescription renewing they said the demand was too high so I couldn't use it anymore but they prescribed me epi-duo. I was severely allergic with rashes all over my back face and chest this is when the put me on tetrysal/ lymisyclne (sorry about spelling) and was on that for 18 months and then that stopped working I went to go and see another dermatologist were they prescribed me with doxycyline so I tried that. no luck so they have now prescribed me this (3 tablets twice a day) and I have just started them yesterday I hope they work as it has severely effected my self- esteem."

_.Abbie_._._. December 7, 2015

"My junior year of college my moderate acne became very severe and I went to my dermatologist for help. He put me on Differin and 2x daily Minocycline (which did absolutely nothing). I went back, and my doc prescribed me Bactrim in conjunction with the Differin. Bactrim was quick and powerful in clearing up my moderate-severe acne. I have been taking Bactrim for 2 weeks and I almost immediately started seeing great results. I still get large zits here and there but nothing compared to what I had before. A lot of other reviews said this isn't a long term drug, which kind of sucks, but I'm gonna take what I can from it until I can no longer take it, haha. I would definitely recommend Bactrim to people who feel like nothing is working for them"

NBadger November 18, 2015

"I must say, that this is one fast and effective treatment for acne. I've had acne for many many years, since I was a teenager and now I'm in my mid-20, and I literally started noticing results within a week. It's cheap enough, and through blood testing every 3 months to make sure all is well, I haven't experienced any side-effects, thankfully. It's not receiving the full 10 treatment purely because I tried to reduce my dosage to see if my skin would manage, and within a day of doing so, my acne was back, so this is more of an acne band-aid, so to speak, but one that has seen my skin clearer than it has ever been. Plus I can now eat a lot of previous trigger foods without any worries! Hello, DAIRY!"

MRoberts909 October 22, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Have had severe acne for a long time and worked very well to clear up acne entirely with a few months. Unfortunately as soon as I go off of it, the acne slowly comes back. Still works amazing while on it though."

DJ234 October 19, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I am 20 years old and have been taking Bactrim since I was 14. Originally I started with a twice daily dose but have since decreased to half a pill every other day. It is not a perfect fix, as I still have to be attentive and wash my face twice a day and occasionally use an acne cream, but otherwise it works quite well. Before starting Bactrim I had moderate but painful acne, and I now only get small infrequent pimples. I am now a pharmacy student and thought I should warn people that extended use of any drug is dangerous. Also, Bactrim is NOT an antibiotic but is a synthetic sulfa drug meaning it is made from chemicals. Some people are severely allergic to sulfa drugs and should be cautious and talk to their doctor before taking this drug"

Aesthera October 16, 2015

"Unfortunately I have suffered with acne since primary school. That was the start of my acne, but then got worse all through secondary school. Because I went years and years with very clogged skin, and very nasty acne both black heads, white heads and angry pussy spots I never thought I would be able to clear my skin up. I was then prescribed oxcytetracyclin I think how it's spelt ?, and these where amazing they cleared my skin up down to a T. fast forward 2 years now, my body has got used to them and it was on to trimethoprim to try and clear the breakouts. These are amazing I saw results in 2 days however I had to stop as I started to get vomiting, nausea, headaches the list goes on. These are great tablets but side effects are terrible."

Albyjack October 13, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Ok so I have delt with acne my entire life even in my 30s. I was given this med for another issue and I noticed my skin is clearing up. I have been reading some of the reviews and not to be judgmental but I am shocked at how many people are using this med for 6 plus months. Transplant patients it's a must(my mother is one) but to use this long term is not my cup of tea. With bacteria becoming more and more immune to everyday meds what will they do when they have a severe infection like staph and it no longer works. Hospital bound on vanco, I know from experience. Trust me my acne is horrible and I truly understand the heartbreak but risking immunity from an antibiotic is not worth to me. Think long term. Just my opinion, God bless!"

gingslo October 7, 2015