User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 440 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Acne

"I started trimethoprim just over a week ago and at first I felt sick and headachy so I made sure I had the tablets with food and it was fine. I noticed a huge difference in my skin in only just over a week and I thought this drug was working wonders after trying EVERYTHING else(this Was my last resort before Accutane) sadly I broke out in an awful red skin rash 2 days ago which has gotten worse and worse, even though I am no longer taking the tablet. It's a shame because it was working wonders for me! I would have definitely continued had I not got a reaction to it."

Chelsea Ann March 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My review is like everyone else's. I've had bad acne for years, this worked really well in clearing it up. I've been on it for a little more than a year. For the first ~7 months it was fine but it's becoming less and less effective. My acne is getting bad again and I'm very consistent at taking my medication. Although once or twice I wasn't able to pick up my prescription on time and each time I broke out so badly. So I know once I stop it'll all come back. I haven't had any noticeable negative side effects but I don't like that I was/have been on such a powerful antibiotic for so long. I would give it a try if recommended, by your physician it may work better in the long run for others."

MaggieDee March 6, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Okay, so I had suffered with Acne ever since I hit puberty.. I was a 'pizza' face, so to say.. I had tried multiple things and thousands of dollars to try and get rid of my acne... Eventually though, I found out I had PCOS, so yay! Hormonal Acne. ._. Anywaaays, My dermatologist prescribed me Bactrim along with Spironolactone. Within a week, I had a completely clear face. No acne at all... But unfortunately, after 3-4 week I found out I I was apart of the unlucky few who ended up being allergic to it. So sad. If I could ever take it again, I would in a heart beat. But It has been about 6 months since I've been on Bactrim and I am still pretty much clear with very few breakouts."

Idkwhattonamemyself February 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Never had a whole lot of acne through high school until I jumped on steroids (deca/sustanon) I got moderate-severe cystic acne after about 6 weeks and had it for about 3-4 months and finally got put on bactrim DS. It did wonders went through 3 bottles and was back to normal I kept the 4th bottle for precautionary reasons no acne came back"

Kaleb13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This was absolutely pathetic. My doctor informed the dermatologist that I needed a fast-acting medicine because she picked up on how my very severe acne affects my self esteem. As a result, he prescribed this, and I've been taking it alongside birth control with his instruction and oh my lord its made everything the worst its ever been. Cysts are coming out all over my face, and I've given the medicine more than enough time to take the junk out and start clearing my skin. Biggest mistake ever: DO NOT TAKE. I'm a teenager and I've been dealing with acne for 5 years now, and its been severe for 3 years and good lord do not take this it makes life so much more miserable. DON'T DO THIS TO YOURSELF."

Severe Sufferer December 31, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this a few months ago, I took the first day's pills and had a HORRENDOUS headache, but I'd taken many medications before it and had pretty similar experiences and the side effects usually dropped after a week or two. So i kept at it with this stuff for another 2 1/2 weeks, and still the same headaches. So i stopped taking it, I didn't notice a change in my skin either. Maybe I'm just sensitive to this."

Anonymous22anonymous November 29, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication saved my skin and I couldn't be more happy with it. When I turned 20 I started to get cystic acne that would swell so bad that I wouldn't leave my house because I was so embarrassed. For a year I tried everything from high-end to drug store acne products, I even tried birth control,nothing worked. Within a week of taking Bactrim once a day my skin had no cysts or little bumps! I have a sensitive stomach and this medication did upset mine until I took it with milk and ate something light (cereal, bagel, granola bar). Always take it with food, I dont get any nausea if I take it with milk and cereal so I hope this helps if anyone is experiencing nausea from this medication. Wish I had tried Bactrim sooner!"

Anonymous November 27, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Many of us opt for cosmetics and other products to get rid of acne residues. There are many home remedies which have proven their effects on lightening these skin marks. Tomato and Lemon Juice: Take a %u201Cfresh tomato%u201D and make its paste. Mix it well with one tablespoon of lemon juice. Apply the paste on face for around 20 minutes and rinse it off gently with water after 20 minutes. Pulp of Aloe Vera: Let the pulp from Aloe Vera dry for 5 minutes in sun. Add 6-8 drops of lemon juice to it and apply on the affected area and face for 15 minutes. Onions: Cut the onion into small pieces. Grind those pieces and separate the juice from the residue. "

AbrarAhmad (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have had acne for about 4 years now and I started bactrim about 2 years ago when I first started my skin looked amazing I was almost cleared up in a month. after about a year of being on it and my skin was doing well we went down to half a pill. about 6 months pasted and my skin started to break out again so we went back to a whole pill. my acne started to spread all over my chest, back and shoulders he decided that we would start 2 pills a day. I recently just went back and my skin was not doing well and I'm about to start accutane. I 100% believe I formed a resistance to the drug after being on it for so long. bactrim works amazing for short periods of time but in the long run it was not successful."

Anonymous November 23, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My son took this medicine for about a week, he ended up having a severe reaction to it that put him in the hospital for 3 days. He got a red, itchy skin rash all over his torso about the 8th day of taking it, he stopped taking it at that point and got a prescription for Prednisone from prompt care. Two days later he woke up and his eyes were swollen, the day after that he woke up and his entire face was swollen, we went back to prompt care and they transferred us to the Emergency room. The hospital admitted him and kept him for 3 days because his reaction was so bad. All this just happened 2 weeks ago and his rash is just now starting to go away but now his skin is peeling and scarred. It was a horrible and scary experience."

Jam's mom (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Bactrim ds works for me. I had cystic acne all over my face and body it was so scary .I only work and stayed in the house but as soon as I stop taking this medicine I got acne back all on my face."

Cassandrap September 26, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I took this medication SMZ/TMP for acne/scars on my face. I had a very severe allergic reaction. My face was swollen and lips. My hands swelled up. I had terrible pains in my wrists up to my arms and pain in my stomach/abdomen. This happened after taking it for around a week. My dad had to drive me to the Emergency Room because I couldn't swallow and was almost choking. I was so scared. I warn anyone going on this medication to think twice. I had no idea I would have an Anaphylaxis reaction to it. Very serious. It was Hell going through this and I really thought I would die. I didn't know what was happening to me as I was choking in my sleep. My mom looked up the side effects and that's when we found out it was a terrible reaction."

L 1995 September 13, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Before trying Bactrim, I had attempted a number of treatments. The last I had tried before it was Accutane, which I took for 5 months and which benefited me only for a short while. After my acne returned, my dermatologist suggested I try something different, and gave me a prescription for Bactrim. I was so happy as I didn't break out when I started it and it had cleared the acne from my face for an entire year. This month however the acne returned and it couldn't have done so at a worse time - I have planned a 2 month trip to South America with a group of friends. I can no longer rely on Bactrim and will need to find an alternative (I feel like I've tried every 'solution' there is)."

Jack Smithers August 31, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"When I was in high school, people would notice how great my skin was. In junior high, I started getting one to a few small pimples and then they turned into big bumps. I was crying and even praying they'd go away. I did a lot of research from natural remedies to medications, but boy nothing ever worked like this one has, and still is working for me. It came to a point I don't care anymore if I was washing my face twice a day, after 2 to 3 weeks my skin's clear. Although scars are still there, but at least, I can wake up each day only to mind those scars and not anymore with those big ones that I know that have pusses inside. Even those scars I had at my back's just gone. I'd rather try this than accutane. Try it. It's a Godsend for me."

31mAsia (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 28, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've tried a bunch of topical medication and 8 months of tetralysal and nothing really worked. I'm now on my third month of Trimethoprim and I'm very happy with my skin. I still have a breakout here and there but nothing compared to what it was before. I'm very happy with it!"

Csivol (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "As far as acne treatments go that are effective AND affordable Bactrim is a God send. Late 20's I started mildly breaking out. By age 30 I was getting deep painful cystic pimples. Running/ exercising especially made my condition worse. Bactrim DS improves acne within 24 hours.The redness and swelling is not near as noticeable. After about a week you will notice a close to clear complexion that almost glows...I had moderate acne, but I imagine that Bactrim will work for ppl who have severe acne as well. It does have serious internal esp on kidneys and liver bc it is a sulfa drug so you should drink a lot of water every day with this medicince. Do not drink alcohol while taking Bactrim, good luck!"

Anonymous July 22, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took sulfamethoxazole all throughout high school and my first year of college and throughout that time my skin was crystal clear. No itty bitty clogged pores, no papules, no white heads. Couldn't have been more perfect. Except for the fact it made me incredibly nauseous in the morning. Also it made me constipated, and whenever I did do a BM it was mushy and watery. It also made me quite bloated. But ever since I was taken off this medicine for those reasons in Dec/15, my skin has been a wreck. I was put on minocycline and it hasn't worked the same. If anything, this is the worst my skin has ever been. I'm thinking about asking my doctor to put me back on sulfamethoxazole and to just suffer through the nausea. What we do for beauty!"

EmShBu (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 22, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have tried nearly every antibiotic (doxy, mino, ampicillin, etc) for acne prescribed by 3 dermatologists over 5 years. The only one that worked was doxycycline, which stopped working after 4 months. Then I tried bactrim which cleared my moderate-severe teenage acne gradually (and noticeably) over 1.5 months. Deffinetly the most effective one out there besides accutane."

Dylanyan (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was struggling with really bad cystic hormonal acne and frequent white heads. I looked horrible and felt depressed inside. I couldn't look anyone in the eyes. Acne has really sunked my self esteem. When I was on this for a week.. let me just say.. This works!! (For me) I tried everything there is.. Proactiv, antibiotics, eating better, going to a naturalist. This pill, in 2-3months, cleared my acne. It was like a miracle. I'm so thankful for it and it only costs me $8. It saved my life basically!!"

Xellie July 18, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This medication DID work, but unfortunately after only one week i was one of the unlucky few who found out they were allergic. I broke out in a rash ALL OVER my body. I stopped immediately. It sucks cause it was making my skin kinda glowy. But its not worth it if your allergic. If your not, then it would probably be perfect."

HavenHolllows June 30, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Dermatologist put me on Bactrim DS, to be taken twice a day with food. No side effects in the first few days and did a good job at clearing up my face. Currently I am on the 9th day and experiencing severe side effects. Fever, chills, extreme joint pain, muscle weakness and overall sluggishness. Also experiencing difficulty breathing, a tight chest, headache, and dizziness to the point of almost falling over, for no reason. The most severe of the side effects is the joint paint. Can hardly take a step on my right leg and cannot lift anything with my right arm. Bactrim does it's job however at the expense of your health. Please do your research before starting this drug!"

B.A June 8, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I could tell it was working within 24 hours of taking it. Just be sure to eat with every dose, it's hard on the stomach!"

Laynepecv April 2, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Only thing that works for my acne. I'm 99% clear now and much more confident. Life changing! Just be sure to eat healthy and take a probiotic every morning and evening."

Young Adult Man March 20, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I tried almost every topical an acne sufferer can get from drug stores, from natural to other kinds of drugs for acne, but none ever worked. My acne is moderate to severe type of acne. I am not saying that this medicine will work for you same way it does for me, but you should consider it when you talk to your Doctor. I've been taking this medicine for over a year now and I can't be any more clearer. I used to get tiny whiteheads all over my face, like when I try to pinch my skin, you can squeeze them out like small pieces of oil that became oxidized and yellow. Before I got this medicine, almost every day of my life I'd have to deal with new bumps just after one healed. My face is scarred, but this is the best one I have tried ever."

Leonardel February 8, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on this med for 2 weeks so far and will be continuing for about a month ...I have some bacterial acne since the birth of my second child :( and I couldn't handle it anymore !!) I feel so bad for all the people with bad experiences but I have to say I've had none...and I take the full dose twice a day I have had a wee headache a few times but nothing an advil didn't cure, so I guess use at your own risk? But working great for me personally"

Ta ta (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2016