User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, Sulfatrim Pediatric, Uroplus, Uroplus DS …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 400 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Acne

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I had fairly clear skin until I turned 25. My skin started freaking out and everyday I was waking up with a new cysts under my skin. Most of them gathered on my right cheek. I literally became a hermit for months and months because my self esteem was at an all time low. I could feel people staring at them during conversations. My dermatologist put me on two separate antibiotics and both seemed to actually make my skin worse. At my most recent visit, my dermatologist put me on Bactrim. We both talked about how I will have to get on accutane if this didn't work. After a week of taking Bactrim, my skin is completely clear (minus the scarring). I couldn't be more pleased. Finally feeling like myself again. :)"

Charlotte704 (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I've been on Bactrim and Aczone 7.5% for about a month now and my face is completely clear! I started noticing less breakouts the second week and by the end of the third week I had no new ones. I apply the Aczone in the morning before putting on makeup and then again at night after I wash my face. I'm not totally sure if it's the Bactrim or the Aczone that's clearing it up (maybe a combination?) but it's improved so much that even my bf mentioned that he noticed a difference this past week. I've also experienced no major side effects. My only concern is that once I slowly start to come off the medication, will the acne come back. Definitely give it a shot though if you've been struggling with acne and don't want to resort to Accutane!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just stated this medication (maybe 2 and a half weeks) and wow! Let me give some background info (18, Male, acne prone/drier than normal skin type, shade and use makeup on the daily) I tried everything from spot treatments and epiduo (which worked for a couple of months but the purging periods were long and horrible! I highly do not recommend tropical treatments) I tried 2 other oral meds before this one and none worked but there omg! My skin is soft and a even skin tone color! ! And it's only been half a month imagine for months to come! I'm so excited and finally confident in my skin. I would truly recommend this medication before opting out to do something like acutane. Also I have not had any side effects my stats are 17, 5'7 125lbs"

Roger gil (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication has been so effective for me! It honestly worked wonders for my skin, though I do deal with dermatillomania. I haven't noticed any side effects and I highly recommend this for moderate acne."

Mcfallen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Granddaughter in hospital thanks to this, everyone do the research"

Anonymous July 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "It's the silver bullet! Well, for me at least. I can only add my highest recommendation for Bactrim to treat my cystic acne, the kind that produces cysts around 2-3 cm in diameter all over my body and face. I've been on Accutane and every other antibiotic there is, but the Bactrim has saved me. It is hard on your digestive system, and I still haven't come up with a good solution for that yet, but I can certainly live with it if it means no more painful cysts which need to be cut out and operated on medically (no fun at all). I've always had cystic acne, but the Bactrim seems to kill the bacteria that produce the cysts, so as long as it keeps working I'm happy."

Tulloch (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started on trimethoprim after taking a variety of different antibiotics for several years including erythromycin and lymecycline. I have been taking trimethoprim for three months now, and have halved my dosage after seeing an improvement. My skin has remained relatively clear (bar one or two spots) and I presume there hadn't been a growth of resistant bacteria since my skin has not worsened after lowering the dose (unlike other antibiotics I have taken). I'm giving it 9 because I haven't gone off it completely yet, and don't know what the result of that would be."

Maisie9878 June 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Bactrim has been very effective for me, and I've taken it on and off for seven years. I have had no serious side effects (at least none which manifested as of now), and the Bactrim does a good job of controlling my acne. Side effects are a big deal in acne medication (Accutane dried my skin and tetracycline caused ear ringing). While I occasionally get a breakout while on Bactrim, the severity and frequency of the acne has decreased. On a side note, I've found my acne is most well behaved with a low or no dairy diet."

AcneSuffererinTX (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was put on Bactrim DS twice a day for about 6 weeks. This was after being on doxycycline for about 4 months with disappointing results. My acne was cystic and mainly distributed across my back, neck, shoulders, and chest. This outbreak of acne started some time after I stopped hormonal oral BC and switched to Paragard. It also coincided with the start of treatment with lithium for bipolar disorder. The latter can exacerbate acne in those that are susceptible. Despite quitting it, the disaster continued. My derm put me on Bactrim DS twice a day for 6 weeks and to my amazement - this finally did the trick. My skin completely cleared! Highly recommended. No side effects but I took a probiotic with it. My skin has stayed mostly clear since."

sushi2701 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started trimethoprim just over a week ago and at first I felt sick and headachy so I made sure I had the tablets with food and it was fine. I noticed a huge difference in my skin in only just over a week and I thought this drug was working wonders after trying EVERYTHING else(this Was my last resort before Accutane) sadly I broke out in an awful red skin rash 2 days ago which has gotten worse and worse, even though I am no longer taking the tablet. It's a shame because it was working wonders for me! I would have definitely continued had I not got a reaction to it."

Chelsea Ann March 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My review is like everyone else's. I've had bad acne for years, this worked really well in clearing it up. I've been on it for a little more than a year. For the first ~7 months it was fine but it's becoming less and less effective. My acne is getting bad again and I'm very consistent at taking my medication. Although once or twice I wasn't able to pick up my prescription on time and each time I broke out so badly. So I know once I stop it'll all come back. I haven't had any noticeable negative side effects but I don't like that I was/have been on such a powerful antibiotic for so long. I would give it a try if recommended, by your physician it may work better in the long run for others."

MaggieDee March 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Okay, so I had suffered with Acne ever since I hit puberty.. I was a 'pizza' face, so to say.. I had tried multiple things and thousands of dollars to try and get rid of my acne... Eventually though, I found out I had PCOS, so yay! Hormonal Acne. ._. Anywaaays, My dermatologist prescribed me Bactrim along with Spironolactone. Within a week, I had a completely clear face. No acne at all... But unfortunately, after 3-4 week I found out I I was apart of the unlucky few who ended up being allergic to it. So sad. If I could ever take it again, I would in a heart beat. But It has been about 6 months since I've been on Bactrim and I am still pretty much clear with very few breakouts."

Idkwhattonamemyself February 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Never had a whole lot of acne through high school until I jumped on steroids (deca/sustanon) I got moderate-severe cystic acne after about 6 weeks and had it for about 3-4 months and finally got put on bactrim DS. It did wonders went through 3 bottles and was back to normal I kept the 4th bottle for precautionary reasons no acne came back"

Kaleb13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This was absolutely pathetic. My doctor informed the dermatologist that I needed a fast-acting medicine because she picked up on how my very severe acne affects my self esteem. As a result, he prescribed this, and I've been taking it alongside birth control with his instruction and oh my lord its made everything the worst its ever been. Cysts are coming out all over my face, and I've given the medicine more than enough time to take the junk out and start clearing my skin. Biggest mistake ever: DO NOT TAKE. I'm a teenager and I've been dealing with acne for 5 years now, and its been severe for 3 years and good lord do not take this it makes life so much more miserable. DON'T DO THIS TO YOURSELF."

Severe Sufferer December 31, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this a few months ago, I took the first day's pills and had a HORRENDOUS headache, but I'd taken many medications before it and had pretty similar experiences and the side effects usually dropped after a week or two. So i kept at it with this stuff for another 2 1/2 weeks, and still the same headaches. So i stopped taking it, I didn't notice a change in my skin either. Maybe I'm just sensitive to this."

Anonymous22anonymous November 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication saved my skin and I couldn't be more happy with it. When I turned 20 I started to get cystic acne that would swell so bad that I wouldn't leave my house because I was so embarrassed. For a year I tried everything from high-end to drug store acne products, I even tried birth control,nothing worked. Within a week of taking Bactrim once a day my skin had no cysts or little bumps! I have a sensitive stomach and this medication did upset mine until I took it with milk and ate something light (cereal, bagel, granola bar). Always take it with food, I dont get any nausea if I take it with milk and cereal so I hope this helps if anyone is experiencing nausea from this medication. Wish I had tried Bactrim sooner!"

Anonymous November 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Many of us opt for cosmetics and other products to get rid of acne residues. There are many home remedies which have proven their effects on lightening these skin marks. Tomato and Lemon Juice: Take a %u201Cfresh tomato%u201D and make its paste. Mix it well with one tablespoon of lemon juice. Apply the paste on face for around 20 minutes and rinse it off gently with water after 20 minutes. Pulp of Aloe Vera: Let the pulp from Aloe Vera dry for 5 minutes in sun. Add 6-8 drops of lemon juice to it and apply on the affected area and face for 15 minutes. Onions: Cut the onion into small pieces. Grind those pieces and separate the juice from the residue. "

AbrarAhmad (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have had acne for about 4 years now and I started bactrim about 2 years ago when I first started my skin looked amazing I was almost cleared up in a month. after about a year of being on it and my skin was doing well we went down to half a pill. about 6 months pasted and my skin started to break out again so we went back to a whole pill. my acne started to spread all over my chest, back and shoulders he decided that we would start 2 pills a day. I recently just went back and my skin was not doing well and I'm about to start accutane. I 100% believe I formed a resistance to the drug after being on it for so long. bactrim works amazing for short periods of time but in the long run it was not successful."

Anonymous November 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My son took this medicine for about a week, he ended up having a severe reaction to it that put him in the hospital for 3 days. He got a red, itchy skin rash all over his torso about the 8th day of taking it, he stopped taking it at that point and got a prescription for Prednisone from prompt care. Two days later he woke up and his eyes were swollen, the day after that he woke up and his entire face was swollen, we went back to prompt care and they transferred us to the Emergency room. The hospital admitted him and kept him for 3 days because his reaction was so bad. All this just happened 2 weeks ago and his rash is just now starting to go away but now his skin is peeling and scarred. It was a horrible and scary experience."

Jam's mom (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Bactrim ds works for me. I had cystic acne all over my face and body it was so scary .I only work and stayed in the house but as soon as I stop taking this medicine I got acne back all on my face."

Cassandrap September 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I took this medication SMZ/TMP for acne/scars on my face. I had a very severe allergic reaction. My face was swollen and lips. My hands swelled up. I had terrible pains in my wrists up to my arms and pain in my stomach/abdomen. This happened after taking it for around a week. My dad had to drive me to the Emergency Room because I couldn't swallow and was almost choking. I was so scared. I warn anyone going on this medication to think twice. I had no idea I would have an Anaphylaxis reaction to it. Very serious. It was Hell going through this and I really thought I would die. I didn't know what was happening to me as I was choking in my sleep. My mom looked up the side effects and that's when we found out it was a terrible reaction."

L 1995 September 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Before trying Bactrim, I had attempted a number of treatments. The last I had tried before it was Accutane, which I took for 5 months and which benefited me only for a short while. After my acne returned, my dermatologist suggested I try something different, and gave me a prescription for Bactrim. I was so happy as I didn't break out when I started it and it had cleared the acne from my face for an entire year. This month however the acne returned and it couldn't have done so at a worse time - I have planned a 2 month trip to South America with a group of friends. I can no longer rely on Bactrim and will need to find an alternative (I feel like I've tried every 'solution' there is)."

Jack Smithers August 31, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I was in high school, people would notice how great my skin was. In junior high, I started getting one to a few small pimples and then they turned into big bumps. I was crying and even praying they'd go away. I did a lot of research from natural remedies to medications, but boy nothing ever worked like this one has, and still is working for me. It came to a point I don't care anymore if I was washing my face twice a day, after 2 to 3 weeks my skin's clear. Although scars are still there, but at least, I can wake up each day only to mind those scars and not anymore with those big ones that I know that have pusses inside. Even those scars I had at my back's just gone. I'd rather try this than accutane. Try it. It's a Godsend for me."

31mAsia (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've tried a bunch of topical medication and 8 months of tetralysal and nothing really worked. I'm now on my third month of Trimethoprim and I'm very happy with my skin. I still have a breakout here and there but nothing compared to what it was before. I'm very happy with it!"

Csivol (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "As far as acne treatments go that are effective AND affordable Bactrim is a God send. Late 20's I started mildly breaking out. By age 30 I was getting deep painful cystic pimples. Running/ exercising especially made my condition worse. Bactrim DS improves acne within 24 hours.The redness and swelling is not near as noticeable. After about a week you will notice a close to clear complexion that almost glows...I had moderate acne, but I imagine that Bactrim will work for ppl who have severe acne as well. It does have serious internal esp on kidneys and liver bc it is a sulfa drug so you should drink a lot of water every day with this medicince. Do not drink alcohol while taking Bactrim, good luck!"

Anonymous July 22, 2016