User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim to treat Bronchitis

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Septra, Septra DS, SMZ-TMP DS, Co-trimoxazole, Bactrim Pediatric, Sulfatrim Pediatric, Bethaprim Bactrim IV Bethaprim Pediatric …show all brand names

Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim has an average rating of 6.9 out of 10 from a total of 15 ratings for the treatment of Bronchitis. 53% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

6.9/10 average rating

Compare all 93 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Anonymous September 2, 2009

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Had a bad case of bronchitis and Bactrim was prescribed. Within a day I was feeling better and was completely well in 3-4 days. Amazing! However, my wife was prescribed the same drug for her bout of bronchitis and found that she was allergic to it and had horrible stomach pain. So it's obviously not for everyone.”

ymous_anon January 21, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “My doctors would always give me amoxicillin. It never did anything. I use to have a bad bronchitis every winter. I had one that lasted months. My sputum turned deep brown, my middle ears were so infected I could barely hear. And I was not a smoker then. I called my ENT office off hours. I got another doctor on the call. He was older and very thorough in trying to diagnose over the phone. He said lets try a real old drug. It was Sulfa not the combo Bactrim. He called the pharmacy. A friend picked it up. the pil was huge. I broke it in three pieces to get down with lots of water. Tthe next day was like a miracle, I felt so much better. It seems Sulfa is all around gold standard antibiotic for me for any infection”

whohol March 30, 2014

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Felt so sick to my stomach, laid in bed for 2 weeks, I experienced bloating, nausea, couldn't eat. Cramping was serious, I suffered from chills, fever, aches and pains. Headache was also present, made me feel lightheaded also. Couldn't function. ”

Anonymous February 23, 2012

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I took this medicine in early June for Bronchitis. It worked and I was all better by the time it was done. In early July I began to feel general malaise with various sypmtoms, nausea, fatigue etc. They did blood work and found that my AST and LST #'s were near 1000 and 900 respectively. It took 4 months for my numbers to go down. And a month later I started to experience gastrointestinal problems which is still going on. Not a good experience at all.”

Rod · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 31, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I hate being on Bactrim! My tongue hurts constantly, it’s painful and swollen. My gums hurt and are raw. Eating is almost impossible and a horrible experience. And now after being on it for over a month I have developed a sore throat and swollen glands. I am constantly stuffed up and congested. I honestly don’t know how much more I can take.”

Breezy October 25, 2020

“I have had a cough for 2 months and nothing helped. My dermatologist prescribed this medication sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim for my acne and after a week or so of taking it my cough miraculously went away. So I started googling to see if it was possible that this medication can help with a cough and I found a lot of reviews saying it does. I am so happy. This cough usually comes once or twice a year and it’s lasts for about 2 months. So next time I get it, I will request this medication and see if it was for real or a coincidence that my cough went away.”

Debrina · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 6, 2019

“Use this drug for so many different infections. Works like a miracle drug every time. From severe acne on my son's face, to eating bad food in Mexico, to bladder infections, stomach infections. The stuff is great. Makes your skin beautiful again. Can't say enough great things about it.”

indigogirl · Taken for less than 1 month January 3, 2018

Sulfatrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “So, I had this antibiotic on hand for a UTI and I used it for an upper respiratory infection. I started getting white sores in my mouth and it has also made my lymph node under my chin swell, gave me massive headaches and extremely dry skin, very fatigued and just blah. I won't take it again. I stopped taking it. White sores are not as painful in my mouth and my lymph node is going down. Wow what a ride. Hope its better for you”

Anonymous December 19, 2011

“I had a very bad cough, it may have been bronchitis or some other infection but I was given this antibiotic from a doctor and within a day or two I was feeling much better. It worked pretty good only thing they are very dry pills.”

Jolie · Taken for less than 1 month April 4, 2019

“I normally get bronchitis once a year. This year not so lucky. I’ve been battling it off and on for 3 months. It goes away for a bit and comes back. Cipro was working but stopped so doc prescribed this. I’ve tried it twice now and can not get past day 1 on it. My feet hurt so bad. I cannot lay down or sleep. Pain is too unbearable. (I’ve only taken 2 pills) My feet hurt when I stand but not as bad. I also am unable to sleep, even if my feet didn’t hurt. Prob is that it’s already helping the bronchitis. But I can’t do this. Have to call the doc for something else.”

Anonymous March 1, 2010

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Best medication ever for upper respiratory tract and pulmonary infections. Only thing that works for me. No side effects except dehydration, need to drink lots of fluids.”

pammy jean October 30, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Couldn't walk had trouble breathing. No appetite felt worse than before I started taking it”

Bert · Taken for less than 1 month October 10, 2019

“This stuff worked fast! Went from feeling like a two to an 8 after third dose. Awesome stuff”

superman 8000 October 18, 2013

Septra (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Great!”

Liz · Taken for less than 1 month November 30, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Bactrim seem to help only bad part is it makes my heart race and my anxiety get the best of me so to avoid that feeling I take half of a 2mg xanax bar to help not being anxious”

Learn more about Bronchitis