User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Skin Infection.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Bacterial Skin Infection

"Awful stuff, wretched stuff. If you suffer from Anxiety and depression this will magnify both by ten fold. Horrible palpitations of the heart, weird spiky fevers at random times, disoriented feeling while driving; it's just not a pleasant experience. Maybe I'm just allergic to sulfur or something but I can't stress enough-stay away from this stuff. There's plenty of other antibiotics that aren't this awful. I know my doctor had good intentions when prescribing me this garbage but I'm legitimately mad at him for putting me on this awful tripe."

LordMythologys90s July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started taking it 3 days ago and the first thing I noticed was a huge increase in anxiety. I have anxiety already, but this medication made it horrible. Started on it for an infected pimple, and it's helped that. Honestly It's not worth having tons of Panic Attacks, trouble breathing, weird taste in mouth, and even depression. It works on infection but not worth it for me.."

Andre66 June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was prescribed Bactrim twice a day for 10 days. The first day was ok by 2nd day I had a bad case of nausea and itchy. 3rd day nausea, fatigue, flu like symptoms and feeling cold along with insomnia. I stopped taking it and gradually I'm feeling myself. I continued keflex until the infection healed. I won't take it again. It's not worth the misery in my opinion."

Kaino (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For someone who has always suffered from medical issues (Crohns Disease, eczema, heart murmur) I'm no stranger to medications. I have a simple bacterial infection in my belly button and my doctor put me on this drug (2x daily for 7 days). After 24 hours I was nauseous constantly and spent my time in bed or the bathroom. After pill five I am completely incapacitated. After reading these comments and seeing how many other people share my troubles, I will be stopping if my own accord and never taking this again. Especially not for a simple bacterial infection that has never caused me any problems in the first place. I now know learned I will always research a drug before taking it."

Alexcherielove June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was prescribed this for a Staph infection of the Skin. The first few days I was very fatigued and had mild neck pain then on Day 7 of 10 that it was prescribed for I started breaking out in a rash on one thigh and then it spread throughout the day and was on my chest and arms by the night. I was also freezing! I took 2 benadryl that night then woke up the next morning and the rash all over from my neck all the way down to my ankles, front and back and was cold all day! I went to urgent care and ended up getting a steroid injection at urgent care then had to take a high dose Prednisone for 3 days after that. After Steroids were started I noticed that the joint pain went away and I also was swelled from the rash."

HEE (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This antibiotic is a miracle drug I had MRSA and didn't realize it for the longest time. Me and my fiance kept getting boils back and forth (huge boils) in fact this medicine completely cleared it up thank God!!!!!=) I would definitely recommend this to anyone it also cleared up any pimples I had on my shoulders and forehead......."

J Lo (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was recently exposed to MRSA. (hazards of my job) Few days later, I woke up to my right eye swollen shut and oozing yellow pus. Whites of eye was red. I immediately went to Urgent Care. They squeezed out a sample from my eyeball to send to the lab. In the meantime, they expressed concern that it was either MRSA or a really bad case of pink eye. I am being treated for both right now. The medication proved to be a miracle - its killing the infection in my eye. Swelling went down, minimal pus coming out as of this morning, red is now pink - just over 24 hrs after starting the medication. I have had no side affects from the medication."

Mel1974 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I'm on my fourth 800/160 pill of bactrim treating MRSA infection which has also caused my lymph nodes behind knee and groin to swell and hurt. I initially took doxycycline for about 4 days with worsening infection. Bactrim worked day 1. The infection started to clear and lymph swelling and pain is going away. Unfortunately I had severe anxiety including shaking tightness in chest very dizzy and feelings of doom. It's possible this was brought on by me overreacting to a slight side effect but this is a very strong antibiotic. It works but you might have to suffer through it. Not fun"

Mr. Dean (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was gardening, got splinter while planting in side 3rd joint of right middle finger. 4 days later area is warm, tinder, and with a slightly swollen reaction and tightness up to the middle knuckle. Was given Sulfameth/tmp 800/160 twice daily for 10 days. 1st day after, swelling has stopped progressing. At day 4, all swelling, tenderness, and warmth are localized to just around the cuticles and the flesh of the finger tip. Looks to be receding. Unsure if there is pus or just swelling. Saying hydrated with warm soaks. I want to avoid abscess if it is pus. Once I get an abscess, I'll be using a small gauge needle or go to the Urgent Care to have them drain it. I have not had complications, no allergies, stomach, or headaches."

NotAlergic (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I broke out in blisters on face, scalp, and chest. These were oozing a clear sticky fluid that literally melted the skin it oozed over. Tried everything over the counter and homeopathic but this flesh eating infection would not clear. Finally went to urgent care and was prescribed Bactrim for an assumed MRSA skin infection. Within The first 24 hours I had noticeable improvement. Sores weren't burning red and swollen, by 3rd day some scabs are already falling off with healthy pink skin underneath, no ooze, no new blisters. Day 5 you would hardly know I had a skin problem. All clear. Only side effect I had was loss of appetite. Didn't want to eat, nothing sounded good. Lost 4 pounds. Not everyone reacts bad to Bactrim."

LizzyC. (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "First and foremost I want to let you all know, reading things on the internet, WILL NOT help, nor really be a good indicator of your personal reaction to any drug. There are many negative reviews here for Bactrim, and I'm on day 3 of a 10 day dose for a staph infection (cellulitis) on, of all places the right side of my face/right ear (its wonderful!). Here's my experience: Side Effects: Fatigue, headaches (though not consistent). I have a weaker stomach, and its doing just fine with my probiotic (get one with 30billion strands) and drinking lots of water/eating while taking it. The infection is clearing up. Day 3 was when I really noticed. Don't be anxious when taking this, its definitely a mind over matter thing sometimes too."

Girl with a red ear February 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have been taking Bactrim DS for an infection in my toe from a pedicure. It's been 4 days of not feeling human. I'm terribly exhausted. It feels like trying to stay awake after taking NyQuil. After day 2 I started getting bad headaches. I'm only on it for seven days so I'm going to suffer through it but the side effects are almost unbearable."

Terrible Side Effects (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This is my second time taking this medication, both times it was prescribed for a alleged spider bite. The first time I took it I stopped before finishing because the side effects were terrible. I experienced headache, dizziness, flu symptoms and flushing. The second time I took it had the same experience so I drank 2 liters of water and symptoms subsided tremendously. This a double antibiotic so it is imperative that you drink a very large amount of water when taking it otherwise the medication is concentrated in your system and the side affects will be unbearable."

GeaneaNicole January 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I went to the Emergency room due to a hot burning stinging itchy rash on my hand with what seemed to be white welts. I was also experiencing some nausea and felt weak. The doctor examined my hand and diagnosed me with cellulitus. He perscribed me augmentin, which he knew I was allergic too. At least I noticed it before I took it. He had to change my antibiotic to bactrim. I was given one dose at the hospital because no pharmacies were open on new years day. That night I felt a slight headache. The night seemed extremely longer than usual. Each hour, seemed like two or three. I didn't think the night was going to end. I was up every few hours, with a dry mouth. I also had an dream that was frightening, it was of a friend stabbing me."

HoneyBunnyToes (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Really bad medicine. My heart start burning and hurting specially at night. I don't recommend this medication."

Andreyblond November 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Side effects: Extreme exhaustion Extreme Irritability Inability to concentrate Nausea Itching & skin peeling @ site of finger infection Vaginal Spotting Body aches Severe headaches Rx was for 2x a day for 10 days for severe infection on end of finger with red streaks Completed medicine because infection was healing but side effects were substantial !"

Rx Rating November 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed SMZ-TMP DS 800-160MG TAB for a spider bite. The first time I took the medicine I made the mistake of taking it on an empty stomach and became very I'll. I had a headache and severe nausea which lasted all day. The next day I made sure I had a very full stomach. Within 5 minutes of taking the medication I started coughing and having trouble breathing. I then developed an itch all over my entire body.. It seemed that every inch of my skin was irritated from the inside out. I took a shower and used Dr. Bonner's Tea Tree soap and then applied grape seed oil on my skin. I felt a little better but the itching sensation remained and I had to take Benadryl for relief."

FreshleyMade November 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was just prescribed this antibiotic today due to a staph infection in each leg from shaving. My doctor mentioned MSRA, needless to say I'm freaking out over this. Regardless, it's been about 4 hours since I took the first pill - obviously the infection sites haven't gotten any better, but I'm hoping they do. As far as side effects go, I'm lucky so far to only have a little bit of heartburn and slight nausea/loss of appetite. I'm crossing my fingers this stuff works for me!"

breezehome (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Bactrim ds cleared up my infected finger, just like most antibiotics do. The difference is in the side effects. The nausea and diarrhea are worse on this one. But the biggest problem was that my depression which I had under control with medication became worse than ever overnight. I don't know whether it interfered with my antidepressant (bupropion xl) or just aggravated the symptoms so much that it was uncontrollable. Either way, I spent a week alternating between despair and rage on a hair trigger. I would not try this again."

dude guy huh (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Took two pills yesterday still feel nauseous and light headed haven't taken any today gonna go back and get something else worked on my cellulitis it's almost gone but my body can't handle it"

Jen12 October 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given dosage of Bactrim for 10 days 2 times a day for a spider bite. Side effects were nausea, diarrhea, tiredness, loopy feeling, slight fever, and loss of appetite. I had a general feeling of malaise and "blah". All I wanted to do was use the bathroom and sleep. I couldn't focus on anything at work. I couldn't make myself finish it. I stopped after day 5. It didn't matter if I ate a bunch of food or drank a lot of water while taking it. I was running to the bathroom. I have never had such bad side effects to any antibiotic. If there are complications to the spider bite, I'll go back to the doctor for something else."

Lydia in the Garden August 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Be very careful taking this! I was told I have ecoli and was given this prescription. I took one pill last evening at around 7pm. As I was sleeping, I awoke around 1:00AM noticing my lip swelling. I began feeling very dehydrated, nauseus, and got a terrible headache. In the morning, my face was red, legs aching especially around my knees and my head was killing me. I got right in to see my doctor, who gave me Prednisone and told me to immediatey STOP the medication. I have been sick all day. Nausea, headache, leg cramps. I am a healthy 48 year old female. I have NEVER been allergic to any medication before. I read another site where an investigative journalist in London was seeking answers after many reported deaths from taking this!http://briandeer.com/septrin/bactrim-effects-38.htm"

proactive patient (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This is my third different antibiotic for a deep leg wound that was surgically debrided 4 weeks ago. I have taken Bactrim DS many times before for bladder infections with few side effects. This time I want to die. I ache all over. I am nauseated and haven't eaten anything except a few oranges for 4 days. I am drinking ginger ale and water. I can barely walk because of weakness. My cat even walks ahead of me and stops to look back at me every few steps instead of us racing. Lest anyone suggest I do not know how to take this med, I am a Registered Nurse and there is no need to question my proper dosing regimen. If it weren't for the fact that I want to keep my lower leg and foot, I would toss this medicine in the trash."

Sheena-RN August 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Bactrim DS 14 day supply. Took one pill only and stopped. In eight hours after taking one pill my fingers started to itch. Then both of my hands were itching bad all over and red. Then my feet starting itching real bad and red like my hands. 24 hours later my hands and feet itching has subsided. Had to take Benedryl 4 times. Hand and feet still itching but quite a bit better. On my way to get another dose of Benedryl. Hopefully this will go away soon. Keep in mind, I only took one pill! So thankful that I didn't take another pill. Severe allergic reaction. Hopefully the itching will go away completely soon. This was a very dangerous medication for me. I believe that it was the sulfa in the med that caused this."

Lenny Gary August 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Currently on day 3 of a 10 day antibiotic blast of Bactrim after 2 days on Keflex. What I had originally thought was a pimple on my septum just inside my right nostril turned out to be a staph infection. I had lances the "pimple" when it came to a head, thinking it would provide relief, however the infection spread across my nares and over the tip of my nose overnight. Went to urgent care as I instantly suspected staph as the culprit and was prescribed Keflex and Bactroban topical until my follow up with my PCP. Infection showed moderate improvement at my follow up, but was then prescribed Bactrim. Within 24 hours the itch and swelling had completely subsided. By 48 hours the sores were cluster-scabbing, and today they're falling off!"

Aclyesia (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016