User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Skin Infection.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Bacterial Skin Infection

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This is my second time taking this medication, both times it was prescribed for a alleged spider bite. The first time I took it I stopped before finishing because the side effects were terrible. I experienced headache, dizziness, flu symptoms and flushing. The second time I took it had the same experience so I drank 2 liters of water and symptoms subsided tremendously. This a double antibiotic so it is imperative that you drink a very large amount of water when taking it otherwise the medication is concentrated in your system and the side affects will be unbearable."

GeaneaNicole January 10, 2017

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I went to the Emergency room due to a hot burning stinging itchy rash on my hand with what seemed to be white welts. I was also experiencing some nausea and felt weak. The doctor examined my hand and diagnosed me with cellulitus. He perscribed me augmentin, which he knew I was allergic too. At least I noticed it before I took it. He had to change my antibiotic to bactrim. I was given one dose at the hospital because no pharmacies were open on new years day. That night I felt a slight headache. The night seemed extremely longer than usual. Each hour, seemed like two or three. I didn't think the night was going to end. I was up every few hours, with a dry mouth. I also had an dream that was frightening, it was of a friend stabbing me."

HoneyBunnyToes (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2017

"Really bad medicine. My heart start burning and hurting specially at night. I don't recommend this medication."

Andreyblond November 29, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Side effects: Extreme exhaustion Extreme Irritability Inability to concentrate Nausea Itching & skin peeling @ site of finger infection Vaginal Spotting Body aches Severe headaches Rx was for 2x a day for 10 days for severe infection on end of finger with red streaks Completed medicine because infection was healing but side effects were substantial !"

Rx Rating November 21, 2016

"I was prescribed SMZ-TMP DS 800-160MG TAB for a spider bite. The first time I took the medicine I made the mistake of taking it on an empty stomach and became very I'll. I had a headache and severe nausea which lasted all day. The next day I made sure I had a very full stomach. Within 5 minutes of taking the medication I started coughing and having trouble breathing. I then developed an itch all over my entire body.. It seemed that every inch of my skin was irritated from the inside out. I took a shower and used Dr. Bonner's Tea Tree soap and then applied grape seed oil on my skin. I felt a little better but the itching sensation remained and I had to take Benadryl for relief."

FreshleyMade November 16, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was just prescribed this antibiotic today due to a staph infection in each leg from shaving. My doctor mentioned MSRA, needless to say I'm freaking out over this. Regardless, it's been about 4 hours since I took the first pill - obviously the infection sites haven't gotten any better, but I'm hoping they do. As far as side effects go, I'm lucky so far to only have a little bit of heartburn and slight nausea/loss of appetite. I'm crossing my fingers this stuff works for me!"

breezehome (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Bactrim ds cleared up my infected finger, just like most antibiotics do. The difference is in the side effects. The nausea and diarrhea are worse on this one. But the biggest problem was that my depression which I had under control with medication became worse than ever overnight. I don't know whether it interfered with my antidepressant (bupropion xl) or just aggravated the symptoms so much that it was uncontrollable. Either way, I spent a week alternating between despair and rage on a hair trigger. I would not try this again."

dude guy huh (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Took two pills yesterday still feel nauseous and light headed haven't taken any today gonna go back and get something else worked on my cellulitis it's almost gone but my body can't handle it"

Jen12 October 4, 2016

"I was given dosage of Bactrim for 10 days 2 times a day for a spider bite. Side effects were nausea, diarrhea, tiredness, loopy feeling, slight fever, and loss of appetite. I had a general feeling of malaise and "blah". All I wanted to do was use the bathroom and sleep. I couldn't focus on anything at work. I couldn't make myself finish it. I stopped after day 5. It didn't matter if I ate a bunch of food or drank a lot of water while taking it. I was running to the bathroom. I have never had such bad side effects to any antibiotic. If there are complications to the spider bite, I'll go back to the doctor for something else."

Lydia in the Garden August 30, 2016

"Be very careful taking this! I was told I have ecoli and was given this prescription. I took one pill last evening at around 7pm. As I was sleeping, I awoke around 1:00AM noticing my lip swelling. I began feeling very dehydrated, nauseus, and got a terrible headache. In the morning, my face was red, legs aching especially around my knees and my head was killing me. I got right in to see my doctor, who gave me Prednisone and told me to immediatey STOP the medication. I have been sick all day. Nausea, headache, leg cramps. I am a healthy 48 year old female. I have NEVER been allergic to any medication before. I read another site where an investigative journalist in London was seeking answers after many reported deaths from taking this!http://briandeer.com/septrin/bactrim-effects-38.htm"

proactive patient (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "This is my third different antibiotic for a deep leg wound that was surgically debrided 4 weeks ago. I have taken Bactrim DS many times before for bladder infections with few side effects. This time I want to die. I ache all over. I am nauseated and haven't eaten anything except a few oranges for 4 days. I am drinking ginger ale and water. I can barely walk because of weakness. My cat even walks ahead of me and stops to look back at me every few steps instead of us racing. Lest anyone suggest I do not know how to take this med, I am a Registered Nurse and there is no need to question my proper dosing regimen. If it weren't for the fact that I want to keep my lower leg and foot, I would toss this medicine in the trash."

Sheena-RN August 13, 2016

"Bactrim DS 14 day supply. Took one pill only and stopped. In eight hours after taking one pill my fingers started to itch. Then both of my hands were itching bad all over and red. Then my feet starting itching real bad and red like my hands. 24 hours later my hands and feet itching has subsided. Had to take Benedryl 4 times. Hand and feet still itching but quite a bit better. On my way to get another dose of Benedryl. Hopefully this will go away soon. Keep in mind, I only took one pill! So thankful that I didn't take another pill. Severe allergic reaction. Hopefully the itching will go away completely soon. This was a very dangerous medication for me. I believe that it was the sulfa in the med that caused this."

Lenny Gary August 11, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Currently on day 3 of a 10 day antibiotic blast of Bactrim after 2 days on Keflex. What I had originally thought was a pimple on my septum just inside my right nostril turned out to be a staph infection. I had lances the "pimple" when it came to a head, thinking it would provide relief, however the infection spread across my nares and over the tip of my nose overnight. Went to urgent care as I instantly suspected staph as the culprit and was prescribed Keflex and Bactroban topical until my follow up with my PCP. Infection showed moderate improvement at my follow up, but was then prescribed Bactrim. Within 24 hours the itch and swelling had completely subsided. By 48 hours the sores were cluster-scabbing, and today they're falling off!"

Aclyesia (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

"Started taking for cellulitis on my ear with swollen and painful lymph nodes. After first day my eyes were BRIGHT red! And so dry my eyelids felt like sandpaper when I blinked. Used eye drops and got better the 3rd day but still a little red. On day 4 of 10 and just feel like I have a really bad hangover all day, am exhausted, irritable and trouble sleeping. But my ear is better....::"

Anonymous July 11, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Though it did cure the abscess in my ear, it caused severe (I mean SEVERE) muscle/bone pain in my legs, abdomen, and diaphragm. Later side effects were numbness with shooting pain in my left side leg and arm. I can barely walk. I had never taken Bacrtim before (sulfonamide). I was also on cephilexin but I do not believe that was the problem because I've taken that without issues. Please think twice before you take Bactrim. For me, the benefits certainly did not outweigh the risks. For now, I've lost my quality of life."

ItDoesntMatter (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Went to the hospital for a migraine - come to find my body was toxic and had an internal infection throughout. Doctor prescribed Bactrim and by itself with no aspirin it got rid of the headache. Apparently it does the job, does it well and does it fast for ME."

Laura D.... (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Day 3 on BACTRIM due to MRSA. Abscess was lanced and drained 5 days ago. Swelling/Pain of the abscess has finally begun remission. I did suffer from the reported migraine headache all day yesterday and it was quite debilitating, but no such headache today and I'm finally back at work. Also suffered from some seriously painful abdominal cramps that produced very loose/watery stool. Not much of an appetite today and feeling a little shaky so make sure you eat even if you don't want to. This drug is definitely very effective for treatment of MRSA. If the migraines were constant as others described I wouldn't not be back at work today. All my best wishes to everyone reading this."

irairainthegrass June 3, 2016

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Super bad reaction. TERRIBLE! High fever, loss of appetite, lethargy, brown urine, LIVER INFLAMATION. NO RASH. After 7 days on Bactrim DS, feeling beyond terrible, I did some internet research and suspected drug fever. Ceased taking. Went to my doctor who ran blood tests which confirmed my suspicions. Liver enzymes: AST/SGOT 335 H (mine) 14-36 (unit/L) (normal range) ALT/SGPT 581 H 9-52 (unit/L) Alk Phos 307 H 38-126 (unit/L) Levels started to go down after I stopped taking it; it took 3 months for levels to return to normal. A lot of information says you have a rash with drug reactions. I did NOT. My skin infection did clear up. It wasn't that bad to start with. I asked him for something topical. Was not my regular Doc who prescribed it. My Doc said it was overkill. Just because the guy's a doctor doesn't mean he is a good doctor! Be your own advocate. Another round of this crap--who knows! Sulfonamides are one of the drugs that can cause a severe reaction"

Graygirl8 May 7, 2016

"I was prescribed Bactrim ds for 14 days twice a day. I was told to take with a probiotic as it could kill the good bacteria in my gut, so I did. The side effects were severe headache, and fatigue. After 5 days of taking this medication I got an allergic reaction, so I stopped the antibiotics. The reaction was a severe rash on my face, neck, and chest. It was bright red, hot, and itchy. A mild rash spread to the rest of my body. I was given other medication to help the the allergic reaction which helped after 4 days. The abscess did go down and eventually healed on its own."

Mayra A April 14, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Had cut my foot at a beach and was prescribed Bactrim, got the chills and chattering teeth, told to continue and next day had severe diahareea and vomiting at same time hospitalized for several days, body bloated to twice my normal size, near died, would never take a sulphur drug again especially Bactrim."

lolo28 April 11, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was given Bactrim for vestibulitis, and a sinus infection, and bronchitis. The medicine was hardly effective. I just finished it. While on it all of my symptoms got worse and I had severe headaches and neck stiffness and I was so tired all day. I tried dealing with the side effects because I wasn't sure if it was the medicine or just being sick. Went back to my doctor today and because I'm not better he switched me to azothromycin and gave me some steroids for my energy levels. This medicine was awful. By the 7th day I was smelling and tasting the medicine all day. Really, I could've dealt with the side effects if the medicine helped me but it did not."

Csmien April 6, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "My daughter had a small red angry looking flea bite, or so we thought. We tried to draw it out with hot compress. NO go. Went to Urgent Care the next day. Was given Bacrim 800+160. That was a Saturday. Wound was 1 times worse the next day. Went to ER. Was told NOT to use hot compress but keep taking the Bactrim. Today is Tuesday. Taking this medication doesnt seem to be doing much. She is red, imflammed badly, full of nastyness and pain. Using crutches as this is on her lower leg. Seeing surgeon in 2 days because the infection is now to deep. She is in tons of pain. Thankfully there is no fever as of yet but infection is looking more and more like MRSA. Scary stuff on an 18 year old who is constantly keeping herself clean."

Still on the Fence on this one (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2016

"I started this medicine about a week ago. Ever since then I have been fatigued, dizzy, nauseous, having migraines, sensitive to light, and haven't been able to concentrate. I was taking 2 a day but I felt so horrible I bumped myself down to only one a day. My abscess has burst but I still feel weak and very sore."

CollegeGirl448 February 24, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have just recently got out a living environment with a bunch of roomates, I found a small pimple under my arm and thought nothing of it, after a week it was so swollen and hot to touch I went to the ER. The doctor didn't want to cut the "pimple" open but I begged him to because of the pain-and he was glad he did...the amount of bacteria that came out was astonishing! He put me on bactrim and even though I had some side effects it went away.....but then I got another abcess on my head about 2 months later....took bactrim it went away....then 2 months after that i got another abcess on my finger....took bactrim it when away.....now i once again have 3 abscesses under my armpit and am currently on bactrim again! 4 months later!"

Nikki62382 December 12, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was diagnosed with a MRSA Impetigo skin infection and was prescribed the Bactrim DS as well as Bactroban ointment, therefore I cannot know which helped the most, but it did work 95%. I stll have a pink area and the original cut that started this all is still slightly visible. This oral med made me feel horrible. Everyday, after the third day, I was nauseous about an hour after taking it and several times had to take Zofran 8mg which did help. My stomach was a roller coaster and the headaches were really bad. I have Daily Chronic Headache which is daily migraines. But I get C spine nerve ablations which allows me to be 90% migraine free for about 1 year. During the 10 days the migraines came back and with a vengence. Glad to be done."

Adopt_a_pet November 13, 2015