User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

5.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 242 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Sinusitis

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I've been plagued with UTI's my entire adult life and Bactrim was my go to drug. I got a sinus infection 2 weeks ago and Dr said take Bactrim. My tongue swelled up and sores developed on it, that was AWFUL! I've never had any reaction before. I'm really disappointed because it's always been my go to."

Cyneburh March 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have had a severe reaction to Bactrim multiple times and only just recently put it together. According to my doctor, Bactrim has a super rare side effect in which it can cause drug-induced meningitis. I was prescribed Bactrim last month for a sinus infection and after a single dose was extremely ill and ended up hospitalized with viral meningitis. My intracranial pressure that was read with the spinal tap was 62 and normal readings are under 20. This was the third time I have taken Bactrim and the reactions increased in severity with each incident."

Shell1010 March 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was recently prescribed Bactrim DS for my chronic sinusitis by my ENT. I informed her that I had been prescribed Bactrim in the past, although I did not inform her that it was lesser strength of the two and after eight and a half days of taking two a day I finally had to stop due to the side effects that were occurring. I took the first dosage and felt fatigued and slightly itchy. I reminded myself tho that when I am overtired and restless that I tend to feel itchy so I took a shower and and slept for a while and I was fine. The following few days I had no problems besides light bloating and fatigue. I kept taking my medication as prescribed and after the fifth day I was having radiating pain around the left and right side of my sternum"

jpxj86 (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Septra DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was diagnosed with a sinus infection and prescribed Septa. Instructions stated to take the medication for 14 days. On the 12th day, I noticed a rash on my ankle. By that evening I was running fever. At 3:30 am I woke up with blood on my face - my lips had swollen so much that they had split. My eyes, feet, hands, gums and roof of my mouth were also swollen. My temperature went to 105 and I was hospitalized. The diagnosis was that I am allergic to sulfa drugs. I was in hospital for a week and it took me over six weeks before I was near normal."

Shian (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was prescribed this medication for ten days after two recent bouts with a sinus infection that never seemed to clear. This did the trick. I was thirsty and somewhat restless but had none of the major possible side effects that the doctor warned me about."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My first time on this medication, so far I'm not impressed. I'm on day 3 right now for a sinus infection and I still feel basically the same as I did the day I went in to see the dr, only my throat is incredibly MORE sore and I'm coughing when I wasn't before. Having trouble sleeping and I have no appetite. Hopefully I will see some improvement in the next day or two."

LedZepfan01 January 8, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had sinusitis for 9 months. Tried to treat it with natural remedies but it finally affected my lungs causing severe chest infection. I've been taking trimethoprim 400mg twice a day for 3 days and I can say that I am feeling much better. No major side effects apart from nausea bit eating small amounts of food at regular intervals is helping. No upset stomach or stomach pains which surprised me due to having IBS. Anyone suffering side effects always remember that any antibiotic will cause you to feel unwell. You have to persevere with it and they will ease. Failure to compete the course of medication will result in the infection coming back."

JayD-B July 13, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Severe diarrhea, severe nausea and vomiting after 2 doses."

Susan C. April 10, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a sinus infection 20 years ago that spread to my left eye & left frontal lobe of my brain. I had surgery on my sinuses, left eye, and my left temporal lobe of my brain removed and now have a plastic plate on the left side of my head. So I have frequent sinus infections and headaches. I was given generic Bactrim from the VA. I have taken it 2 days and my sinuses have cleared up any.So I am still having headaches but now have nausea, and diarrhea and stomach pains. I just hope it gets rid of the infection."

ChrisstyleG February 25, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Taking 2 pills twice a day everyday something new for a side effect , great way to loose weight . Don't feel like eating at all I do is keep my self hydrated with fluids to thin the phlegm so I can cough it loose and get the rest out of my system. Can't wait till I can stop taking it . Also think it's shredding my red blood cells feel tired and sometimes dizzy and weak"

Popcorn dutton February 21, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Yeah, did this for seven days. Just got out of the hospital after a full body rash (including feet, hands a face, required them to put me on iv antibiotics for two days). Fun times"

In hell (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2015

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I suffer from frequent severe migraines and disclosed this info to the physician during my visit. Recent sinus infections I took a Z-pack and was done but this time was my first time taking Bactrim - DS. Painful headaches, stomach aches, constipation even after drinking water frequently daily. Hoping I don't get the yeast infection or any other issues some patients complain about."

MShelley12 October 4, 2015

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Started meds on Monday. My arms and legs hurt terribly Tuesday and Wednesday. The headache has been the worst I have ever had. Chills, sweating, nausea, impaired vision, insomnia. I called the Dr's office Wednesday afternoon and the nurse told me to give it a few more days. Went to different Dr on Saturday and he said bactrim is notorious for headaches and other adverse effects. Off of it now and have to wait 24 hours before I can start a new antibiotic. I'm praying this headache ends soon"

Mreid207 September 12, 2015

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this medication for a sinus/ear infection. Within a few days of taking it I could finally breathe and begin to hear again. But I had also developed severe nausea, migraines, and loss of appetite. I have also suffered bouts of extreme fatigue and dizziness that have led to me nearly passing out. And on top of all that I broke out in an awful red, itchy rash all over my chest, neck, and face. This medication is terrible. I have never reacted to anything this way."

Gabbyjr (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2015

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "At first, I found myself with more energy and simply lost my appetite, which didn't bother me. Then, the second day, I suffered nausea and vomiting. I discontinued the medicine on the second day, but the nausea and vomiting continue."

quickdigits (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2015

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Took medication with the warning that it needed to be taken with "plenty of water". Woke up in the middle of the night with a severe headache and went back to sleep. Woke up in the morning for work and had debilitating nausea. I really hope this is just a temporary thing and I don't have to do this every time i take it."

SarahGabriella (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2015

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I took this for four and a half days. I experienced complete appetite loss, nausea, fatigue, abdominal pain, and anxiety. I had blood work done before I took the Bactrim and when I got my results back it turned out I didn't have a bacterial infection at all. All that for nothing. I still haven't completely recovered my appetite and it has been almost a week since my last dose."

Telewit8530 January 29, 2015

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "The pressure in my head is gone but I have been getting extreme nausea and fatigue since I started it 5 days ago."

hfriedlund (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2015

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Usually clears up any infections but does sometimes cause extreme nausea and yeast infection."

Sldrwfe (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2014

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Taking this for sinusitis. I am an adilt taking in suspension, as I have trouble swallowing pills. It says grape and is purple in color but it tastes terrible. "

jszaradowski (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2014

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "My body responds to sulfur products. After two days on Bactrim I noticed a difference. By the 4th day I was back to myself. It really helped me."

Fuss box (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2014

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have been taking Bactrim for sinusitis around a week. I have developed painful sores on my tongue that are not visible to the eye. My mouth itches and burns terribly. It worked for my underlining condition but this side effect is unbearable."

Meggy 5000 March 8, 2014

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I've been on it for 6 days now and I feel the same as I did before. This is my first time taking it for a sinus infection. I guess it doesn't work for me."

nickname December 16, 2013

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Took one dose of Bactrim for sinusitis/bronchitis and 3 hours later face was red. 1 hour following, my face, arms and hands broke out into hives. Had to discontinue and call doc."

shellierh November 15, 2013

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I took Bactrim DS after the first antibiotic didn't work on my sinus infection. I started to feel better after 4 days, however I developed joint pain in my hands and knees. I have arthritis from an autoimmune disease, but it's usually controlled very well by a maintenance medicine. On day 8 I noted lots of swollen glands in my neck and a slight temp. After I took my antibiotic that night my fever shot up to 103, I was shaking, teeth chattering, with severe joint/muscle pain, my face looked sunburned, and my body was red/blotchy. I stopped the Bactrim, but the fever lasted 2-3 days, the arthritis was severe for about a week and I still have fatigue. Good news is ENT did recheck and infection is gone."

suzykale January 25, 2012