User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim to treat Sinusitis

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Septra, Co-trimoxazole, Septra DS, SMZ-TMP DS, Bactrim Pediatric, Sulfatrim Pediatric, Bethaprim Bactrim IV Bethaprim Pediatric …show all brand names

Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim has an average rating of 5.1 out of 10 from a total of 65 ratings for the treatment of Sinusitis. 38% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 45% reported a negative effect.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Rating Summary

5.1/10 average rating

Compare all 173 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

ParanoidForNothing · Taken for less than 1 month January 1, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Like many others, I read review after review on here of negative experiences, making myself terrified of taking this drug. As someone who is so worried about throwing up that I carry anti-nausea medication with me everywhere I go, I was very reluctant to begin 6 weeks of Bactrim after reading all of these reviews. Fortunately, I experienced no major side effects and it seems to be helping with the infection. Some very mild nausea at first that was likely anxiety-induced, and acid reflux which is common with all antibiotics. Yogurt and a probiotic daily helps with this. Anyway, I promised myself that I would write a positive review if I ended up having a positive experience, so here it is. If you're worried like I was, remember that people are way more inclined to post drug reviews online when they have negative experiences, than normal or positive ones. The vast majority of people taking Bactrim feel absolutely fine, and keeping this in mind may help ease your fears as well.”

Thankful · Taken for less than 1 month December 30, 2019

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Bactrim for yearly sinus infection related to fall allergies works every time. Three days and inflammation and pressure subsiding. Yes some nausea and need to follow up for yeast afterwards. Drink lots of water. Best antibiotic for me since I’m allergic to penicillin and it’s relatives.”

Marylin · Taken for less than 1 month September 26, 2018

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Don’t believe everything you read here. I took this drug for a sinus infection I developed on a plane coming from overseas. Within four hours I started feeling better. Took about five days until I felt completely well. When I went to see the doctor, I had a temperature of 100.3 and felt bad. This drug may not be for everyone but it worked for me. No side effects.”

Cigma July 14, 2008

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “After three days of perscribed use of the generic bactrim, my headaches and nasal discharge have decrease dramatically. Side Effects, insomnia (reason I am writing this review), pain in jaw and throat if not taken with ample water.”

Allen September 28, 2020

“Bactrim works best for my sinusitis. Augmentin never seems to help as I believe the bacteria in my sinuses have become resistant to it. I don't have any of the side effects the others speak of on here. Everyone is different. Don't make a judgment based on a review here.”

Marilyn · Taken for less than 1 month December 31, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I’m currently taking Bactrim twice a day for a sinus infection. I've taken it before for the same thing and I seem to recall its just about the ONLY antibiotic that doesn’t feel like it’s is really bad for me in the process! I’m also taking a steroid pak at the same time. Don’t be afraid to take it; everyone’s body reacts differently.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 18, 2017

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I was prescribed this medication for ten days after two recent bouts with a sinus infection that never seemed to clear. This did the trick. I was thirsty and somewhat restless but had none of the major possible side effects that the doctor warned me about.”

Sick of Being Sick · Taken for less than 1 month July 25, 2018

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I have a severe sinus infection that been lasting on and off for months. Dr put me on Bactrum for 15 days. I'm on day 12 with zero improvement. Actually I'm worse. No voice, face hurts, throat swollen, glands swollen. I feel the pill isn't do anything at all.”

Christo · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Developed sinusitis with heavy pressure in ears, drainage, swollen throat/glands, etc Prescribed Badtrim-DS for seven day course, twice daily. Within 12 hours swelling was nearly gone, pain reduced to minimal. Did experience restlessness, sleeplessness, and some dehydration despite drinking a lot of water. Seems like it dealt with the infection itself, but still dealt with sinus problems ( drainage, congestion in ears, and coughing due to drainage) for several days after. **Bactrim is a Sulfa- product, so doc made sure I wasn't allergic before prescribing.”

Big Paul Walnuts · Taken for 10 years or more August 6, 2018

“I start by putting a half of a sulfa DS into a Nette Pot, saline and warm distilled water. Go slow with it, hold it in my nose as long as I can. Then I take 2 a day for 7 to 10 days, if there’s nothing in your environment recreating the problem, it goes away. I do think Augmentin 860/125 id still the best . Best thing to do is avoid dust, pollutants and keep your house super clean- I have times where I can go 6 to 10 months no antibiotics— but they are the only thing that works. In 2008 my ENT gave me a trial nasal mist with Cipro in it, used 2x a day for 4 days, nasal infection done for a yr, I went to refill it,, manufacturer removed it- why, because it worked—- I do use steam machines twice daily as well- distilled water, it helps, I have remedies- feel free to reach out”

Popcorn dutton February 21, 2016

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Taking 2 pills twice a day everyday something new for a side effect , great way to loose weight . Don't feel like eating at all I do is keep my self hydrated with fluids to thin the phlegm so I can cough it loose and get the rest out of my system. Can't wait till I can stop taking it . Also think it's shredding my red blood cells feel tired and sometimes dizzy and weak”

Jake · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2020

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “*Don’t do It!!! I was feeling ok before taking it. Heck I was running 2 miles a day before. No issues with other then my sinus being inflamed and closed. On day 2 I started getting nauseated. Day 3-4 and 6 I went to the ER. Dire pain, blood in urine. Chest pain that prevented sleeping radiating to my back. Bloating, gas, regurgitation, constipation. But worst of all I couldn’t eat. I got really weak and honestly didn’t think I was going to make it. I spent days in bed not moving due to the pain. I got a small rash day 5 on my arms. On day 6 of 14 I stopped the medication. Symptoms improve almost immediately. Still have chest pain but getting better.”

Vikingwarmaiden · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2018

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I just wanted to pop in and say Bactrim is a Sulpha drug. A lot of people are allergic to Sulpha and some are allergic to the trimethoprim part as well. Those of you having a reaction, this is probably why. You also need to tell your Dr you're allergic to Sulpha drugs or trimethoprim so they don't prescribe you any! Be well!”

Deana · Taken for less than 1 month May 16, 2020

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I took this as my 3rd round of antibiotics for Sinusitis. After taking bactrim for 4 days l have been having horrible hives and rashes. I am literally wanting to itch my skin off its so bad. Took 2 Benadryl and l have stopped taking this rubbish. Definitely calling my doctor about these horrible side effects.”

Anonymous February 4, 2010

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I was given the generic Bactrim for a sinus infection. After 4 days, I couldn't stop vomiting and having diarrhea for 3 days. Almost went to the hospital. It seemed to be making me feel better until the side effects kicked in. I had to stop the medication.”

Sinus Man · Taken for less than 1 month January 3, 2020

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Very slow results or sinusitis. Day 5 I was slightly improved, productive cough. Day 10 my green gunk had just disappeared, still coughing and clear phlegm. Day 11 green came back. Went and got a z pack. Already feel better the same day.”

Sydney · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “This is HORRIBLE medication! I was on Bactrim for only 3 days for sinusitis, then on day 4 I had hives and my face was BURNING from the inside out but no fever. Went off it. Then day 5,6 and on 7 now and my jaw aches and my face feels like it’s going to implode. Strangest feeling. I’m dizzy have a headache but the facial tightening and burning is making me crazy. This stuff is scary and have no idea when it’s going to stop. Never again”

Meggy 5000 March 8, 2014

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I have been taking Bactrim for sinusitis around a week. I have developed painful sores on my tongue that are not visible to the eye. My mouth itches and burns terribly. It worked for my underlining condition but this side effect is unbearable.”

SarahGabriella · Taken for less than 1 month March 13, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Took medication with the warning that it needed to be taken with "plenty of water". Woke up in the middle of the night with a severe headache and went back to sleep. Woke up in the morning for work and had debilitating nausea. I really hope this is just a temporary thing and I don't have to do this every time i take it.”

JayD-B July 13, 2016

“I've had sinusitis for 9 months. Tried to treat it with natural remedies but it finally affected my lungs causing severe chest infection. I've been taking trimethoprim 400mg twice a day for 3 days and I can say that I am feeling much better. No major side effects apart from nausea bit eating small amounts of food at regular intervals is helping. No upset stomach or stomach pains which surprised me due to having IBS. Anyone suffering side effects always remember that any antibiotic will cause you to feel unwell. You have to persevere with it and they will ease. Failure to compete the course of medication will result in the infection coming back.”

FeelingMuchBetter · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 17, 2020

“Bactrim seems to be the only antibiotic that works for me. If I get a sinus infection, Bactrim works wonders. I don’t have side effects, except loss of appetite sometimes. I am now using it as a preventative medicine due to allergies. With everything shut down due to COVID-19, I could not get my allergy shots. This medicine has kept me from getting sick”

Mreid207 September 12, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “Started meds on Monday. My arms and legs hurt terribly Tuesday and Wednesday. The headache has been the worst I have ever had. Chills, sweating, nausea, impaired vision, insomnia. I called the Dr's office Wednesday afternoon and the nurse told me to give it a few more days. Went to different Dr on Saturday and he said bactrim is notorious for headaches and other adverse effects. Off of it now and have to wait 24 hours before I can start a new antibiotic. I'm praying this headache ends soon”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 13, 2019

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I had been on Bactrim 800/160 mg. 2 x's a day sinus infection included smelling something burnt everywhere I went it was the same smell plus ears felt congested and I couldn't hear well,e yes were watering glands in neck were swelled started healing in 2 days, but cramping started so went to E.R. They admitted me overnight with IV fluids helped some but not a whole lot, then was changed to clindamyacin. In a few days I smelt the burnt smell coming back as well as the ear congestion and cramping never really subsided. I called pharmacy got reacted magnesium for cramping it helped and that night and slept like a log so I thought I would try and start the bactrim again. Well I took it before I went to bed the next day I felt cramping coming back again so I took 2 magnesium read that it has to be 4 hours apart to take meds after magnesium while Im waiting for for magnesium to work cramping didn't seem to wanna subside now I have to go back to doctor and explain all this”

suzykale January 25, 2012

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): “I took Bactrim DS after the first antibiotic didn't work on my sinus infection. I started to feel better after 4 days, however I developed joint pain in my hands and knees. I have arthritis from an autoimmune disease, but it's usually controlled very well by a maintenance medicine. On day 8 I noted lots of swollen glands in my neck and a slight temp. After I took my antibiotic that night my fever shot up to 103, I was shaking, teeth chattering, with severe joint/muscle pain, my face looked sunburned, and my body was red/blotchy. I stopped the Bactrim, but the fever lasted 2-3 days, the arthritis was severe for about a week and I still have fatigue. Good news is ENT did recheck and infection is gone.”

scaryfencer June 27, 2009

“Used this for sinusitis, cleared it within 36 hours. No side effects noted at all. Took the full course with no problems. Have used this drug for Strep as well and it worked well with no side effects.”

Learn more about Sinusitis