User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Pharyngitis 4 reviews 47 medications

Legionella Pneumonia 1 reviews 26 medications

Mycobacterium avium-...ulare, Treatment 1 reviews 12 medications

Summary of Clarithromycin reviews 380 reviews 5.4

Reviews for Clarithromycin

For Otitis Media: "A frequent ear infection victim who is immune to anything in the penicillin family. BIAXIN works amazing, within 2 days of treatment, the pain and balance is drastically improved and by day 5 symptoms are resolved. Only drawback is the metallic taste so I tend to keep to soups and lighter fare."

TorSan (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bronchitis: "I started taking these tablets for a cheat infection I am on day 4 and thinking of stopping. My mouth tastes vile I am constantly drinking or swilling my mouth out as I have a metallic perfume taste in it, I keep having some weird dreams and I am very restful on a night time since I started these tablets. Another thing is I don't have a appetite at all. I have been taking these tablets for 4 days and the only thing I feel is my chest loosening but everything else I still have and the pain I suffer from in my stomach is not nice. I just say since taking this medication I have felt worse in regards to stomach trouble, not eating or sleeping and the worse thing is the taste in my mouth is really is VILE!!!!!"

pontepops April 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sinusitis: "In the past six years I have had three sinus infections. This drug cleared it up in a short time with no side effects. I suffer from IBS so my GI doctor recommends this antibiotic as it is more gentle on the GI tract. He also told me to take one Florastor probiotic capsule each day and to eat yogurt with active cultures Have had bad results with Augmentin – gave me raging diarrhea. Levaquin has some really serious side effects and affected my Achilles tendon. I don't notice vile taste - tongue burns, mine are vanilla flavored. If the size bothers you, tell doc to order 250mg size and take two. I had palpitations and anxiety tho and rapid heart beat for a while but could have been from Bentyl. Not sure."

Mom GS (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "On day 3 of 5 of this antibiotic...... Horrible taste, dizziness, and I feel my symptoms seem more exaggerated since beginning the antibiotic. Don't think I'll finish the course should have just asked for amoxicillin "

THE BOSSY ONE April 2, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Horrible!!!!!! DO NOT TAKE THIS!!! I can't stop vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach pain is unbearable. It feels like I ate a golf ball. Hot and cold flashes, shaking. My heart is racing so fast it feels like I am going to have a heart attack. Call the doctor, got the stupid answer ever, to keep vomiting but I have to take them since I'm allergic to penicillin!!!!! Are you serious???? I already took other antibiotics before this but this never happened . This is poison!!!!! How can they sell this?"

Izz March 30, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sinusitis: "Had the most bizarre dreams with this tablet. Woke up feeling drugged out and nauseous. Bad headache, bubbly tummy due to wind, foggy head. I only took 3 tablets and will never touch this tablet again."

Manteit March 30, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bronchitis: "You people are obviously not sick enough to be grateful you have a medicine that works. It's not even close to that bad. Take it with food. And you won't even have side effects. Take pain meds. And brush your teeth. This Medicine is the best and does what it needs to do. Stop complaining it could be worse you could die."

Shuckers March 29, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "On day 4 of 500mg twice daily of Clarithromycin for throat and chest infection. Throat not as painful but not completely cleared yet. The bitter taste in the mouth is VERY unpleasant and tinges' everything I eat. Hard to sleep as the taste is worse in the night so very tired all of the time. Furry, yellow tongue. Hoping today is the turning point in recovery."

badders (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "Been taking this medicine for 3 days, so I have taken 6 tablets. Don't know what anyone means by bad taste in their mouth. I only have this in the morning... never throughout the day. Today I had to go to the toilet as it gave me slight diarrhea (if that is how you spell it). My swelling has reduced in size and pain dramatically."

Kimbo slice (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bronchitis: "I have taken only 3 pills thus far, while my symptoms from bronchitis and a sinus infection are already starting to improve I cannot handle the strange dreams, disconnectedness, slight paranoia and subsequent anxiety!!! I too will be calling the Dr. on a Sunday to get a different RX. Oh yes the taste in my mouth is EVERY bit the disgusting way that others have described."

Gmasparkle (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Mycoplasma Pneumonia: "Was meant to be on penicillin but the hospital changed my antibiotic 5 mins before I left because they found mycoplasma in my throat (they didn't really know what was wrong with me tbh). My symptoms are spot on to a so I'm leaning towards that as what I have (its certainly not tonsilitis or 'stress' which they tried to fob me off with). I have taken 4 of these clarithromycin and I think they may be the devil in pill form. I have had nothing but shortness of breath, stomach cramps, vomiting and diarrhoea since. Apparently they are common side effects, but this seems ridiculous. I felt better of with just the pneumonia than with being on these!"

*Lydia-May* March 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Had this for a skin/ wound infection. Took 3 into the course and felt so awful had to ask for different ones. Dizzy, out of it/ woolly headed, nauseous, bad taste in mouth, everything tastes awful, farty and generally a horrible experience. It makes sense about feeling terrible due to it killing bacteria in the body but I never want to take it again."

Jennijenre54 March 15, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pertussis: "Am I the only one who thinks these tablets are AMAZING. I have had no side affects (apart from thinking about it now after reading these, fitful sleep and bizarre dreams) yes they taste vile when being swallowed (like when you leave paracetamol in your mouth for too long!) and they are the size of a small aircraft!! I'm on day 6 and found that it's the only thing that's worked for my severe chest infection/possible whooping cough!"

Whoopingcough100 (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sinusitis: "Prescribed this antibiotic TODAY for sinus pain. Read the leaflet and had doubts as the list of possible side effects was enormous but have been plagued with post nasal drip and face pain for a week so went ahead and took tablet one at about 2 pm. Couldn't finish evening meal although hungry as began to feel very nauseous. An hour later my stomach is gurgling and popping like mad and I feel like I'm going to throw up. I positively detest being physically sick. The very thought of vomiting is making me ill. I also feel jittery a bit like anxiety. This is a nightmare and totally not worth it. Will not be taking gigantic tablet number two bah!"

Abskebabs March 6, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Strep Throat: "Lets just say I never write reviews for anything but I am on day 4 of this antibiotic for strep throat, and all I can say is that I actually felt better with the strep then I do on this medication. Worst stomaches, itchiness, and sleeplessness. It has also caused me severe anxiety and racing heart. I was told to try and give it another day or two by my doctor but I am actually hoping I just get a rash just so I can stop this stuff!!!!"

kei17866 March 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I'm on day 14 of taking this medicine, my last day. I'm taking all 3, amox and omeprazole as well for this bacteria which got worse after a strong antibiotic that I never should have been prescribed. My experience with this drug has been positive, yes it does leave an metallic taste, I'm on a 14 day treatment. I take 4 amoxicillin a day, two in morning 2 at night, I take 2 of this drug one in morning one at night and 1 omeprazole a day. I have not had any bad reactions to it and seems to working just fine. I go back to retest March 29, I hope and pray its gone and never to return. I'm going to do a juice detox for about 3 weeks to cleanse my system afterwards."

Cherryhill (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bronchitis: "Was prescribed this after a 5-day, then a 7-day course of a different antibiotic each time led to bronchial symptoms (with increased body temperatures) never fully going away and strongly reasserting themselves in a few days. The 500mg tablets are a pain to swallow (you need lots of water to flush them all the way down) and, as most respondents report, cause a permanent nasty bitter taste in the mouth. However, by Day 3 I was feeling much better and now mid-way through Day 4 coughing nearly gone and phlegm much reduced. Temperature also back to normal. In short, feel practically ready resume working."

Wheezy 77 y.o. (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bronchitis: "I was so sick with coughing I didn't care what I took. I didn't eat for a week as l lost my appetite. I had diarrhoea, sweating, bad taste in mouth and now I'm feeling better I have a rash all over my body which I think is antibiotics. The rash is itchy but nothing compared to how I felt 10 days ago."

Jaisja February 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I have been on them 2 days and I'm suffering from them. The taste in my mouth is like perfume, I'm vomiting and the bad taste doesn't help. It's made me feel so unwell. I'm taking them for a infection I'm my upper leg. I hate them won't take them again. "

B p February 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Bronchitis: "I had to leave a review for this medicine because I consider it to be a wonder drug. I am prone to bronchitis and I've tried everything: amoxicillin, augmentin, ampicillin, z-pack, omnicef, etc. Biaxin is the only--and I mean ONLY--drug that will work on my bronchitis. The worst side effect for me is hunger to the point where I feel like my stomach is eating itself, but I'll gladly temporarily put up with that rather than cough myself to death! This is an amazing medication--it gets the job done when nothing else will."

Liz2222 February 12, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bronchitis: "I started taking this drug for a chest infection 3 days ago. So far .... The taste in my mouth is so vile I cannot even begin to describe it. Every swallow makes me shudder. I feel sick and have no appetite. I have have acute pain in my stomach and side , I guessed from lack of solid food which has left me gasping as the cramps set in. I'm actually constipated, which differs from others experiences, but who knows, its day 3 after all. Sleep is here and there, sometimes I get a solid hour and I just feel exhausted. I've stayed in bed. I have lower back pain, and feel like I'm at deaths door. I also have no concentration and desire to complete simple tasks. Won't be keen to repeat this again in a hurry"

TrackyLou February 9, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sinusitis: "I got hit with chills, body aches and an extremely high fever out of no where (started and sky rocketed in an hour). I went to my doctor and she prescribed Clarithromycin - 500mg for 7 days, a nasal spray and ear drops for an ear infection. The first night I took it I did not feel any side effects, the 2nd and 3rd night I felt nauseous, a lot of pain in my abdominal area and could not fall asleep. This drug tastes like horse poo mixed with garbage, it leaves a vile taste in your mouth. However, it has helped with my infection, I am starting to come back to normal and general weakness has left my body. * Someone recommended swishing salt water to help with the taste, if you do this 3-4 times a day IT WILL HELP. Good luck to you all."

Jay124 February 9, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sinusitis: "I've suffered chronic sinusitis for years and after building up a tolenrece for most antibiotics I was put on clarithromycin. After the first day I was experience severe diarrhea and the awful taste in my mouth, it's now day 4, after the constant chemical taste (absolute torture) and waking up two nights in a row from nightmares I quit. Done taking this and will NEVER take it again. Wasn't helping my sinus infection anyways."

Izzymo February 9, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pneumonia: "I'm in day 3 of taking this antibiotic having being diagnosed with a severe chest infection. Within 48 hours the stabbing pain and aches in my chest has completley disappeared. I have a awful bitter taste like an aerosol spray/some sort of gas in my mouth. Cleaning my teeth and drinking helps this but it always feels worst at night :( Last night I had a bad nightmare but after that slept well. I've had lots of tummy gurgling and today feel really nausea :( Have also been going to the loo more then usual! I'm pretty anxious about taking the next 4 days but unsure if there is anything else I can take? I'm allergic to penicillin."

Alicat## February 9, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Sinusitis: "After being sick for a month and a half, after a useless round of Amoxclav, my doctor finally prescribed Biaxin and Prednidone for my sinus infection. Within a day I was able to breathe through my nose. My only complaint is the absolutely disgusting aftertaste...and the occasional upset stomach. I think the side effects are worth it as I finally feel good for the first time in weeks."

ElleMichelle999 February 5, 2017