User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Legionella Pneumonia

1 review 26 medications
Mycobacterium avium-...ulare, Treatment

1 review 13 medications
Bacterial Endocarditis PreventionNot rated - Be the first1 review 56 medications
Summary of Clarithromycin reviews 5.6 553 reviews

Reviews for Clarithromycin

For Bronchitis: "Quit taking clarithromycin after 4 days after contacting my ENT. This medication has left the nastiest taste in my mouth...all day and night! Food doesn’t taste very good. It has also given me a lot of gas."

Gigi April 13, 2019

For Sinusitis: "I have a cough about six weeks, also with a sinus infection. Was on amoxicillin, didn’t work. Now on clarithromycin and deltacortril and nasal spray. My pharmacist called it a “ rescue package”. My doctor said he was putting a sledgehammer to work. Eating well, hydrated well, no problem with toilet. Metal taste. But seems to be working"

Tez (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2019

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Sinusitis: "I started coming down with a chest cold that I knew would turn into bronchitis. I called my doctor and he prescribed Biaxin 500mg twice daily as I ended up having sinusitis as well. After the 3rd day of taking this med, I was feeling better and not coughing quite as much. I had no side effects and rated this a 9 because of the after taste it leaves in your mouth. I always ate something before taking it and had no stomach issues. Overall, this really helped me get through my sickness."

Daisy (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2019

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I too have experienced the metallic taste in my mouth and a bit of 'gastric distress' but the infection in my hair follicle that I had been waiting in vain to heal on it's own for about 3 months is almost gone after 4 days. Amazed by how quick it worked, so bearing in mind the side effects, I'm still really impressed with the speed of results."

VixL (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2019

For Pneumonia: "Amoxicillin wasn’t working for pneumonia so was given clarithromycin twice daily 500mg for 10 days. Having hard time getting deep breath, can’t sleep, nausea and weak, terrible taste in mouth. One more day to go and will not take this medication again. Still feeling terrible!"

Ozzy (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2019

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "started having stomach issues in Jan and finally got tested for H pylori in March. I am on day 13 of amoxicillin, clarithromycin and omeprazole. You get that nasty bitter taste right away - so bad that you can taste it every time you breath. By my 7th day, I have had 3 days of nausea, some diarrhea and stomach upset. My symptoms are worse at night I cannot sleep. I did learn to chew mint gum and that really helps with the bitter taste, sucking mints help some but not enough, gum is the best. This combo of medicine is brutal but I have stuck with it as I do not want to have to repeat this again...."

ladybug1967 (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2019

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Sinusitis: "I battled a sinus infection for almost 3 months. I had pain above my eye and maxillary sinuses. I had green/yellow thick discharge coming out of my nose from the front and back. At the beginning of the infection at about 2 weeks in I took Augmentin with no luck. I suffered for almost 2 more months until going on the Biaxin. After 1 week of the medication all of my symptoms were gone. I was worried I would need surgery if this didn't work. As for side effects the only one I noticed was the taste in my mouth but it was subtle and not that bad. Stomach was fine as I took a probiotic yogurt every day. This drug was amazing."

George (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2019

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "Take all 3 drugs for h pylori. This is my third time having it. I have multiple sclerosis and the first 2 times it was awful and has to stop the meds after 7 days. I change my diet in the last 7 years and lost 70 pound. Had it on 2007 and 2012. I must say this was a awesome experience. I’m on day 12 and no problems at all. Very shocking. Get tested in 3 months."

Denise (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2019

For Otitis Media: "Suddenly had severe otitis media after a course of amoxicillin for sinusitis which didn’t work. After one tab of clarithromycin 500mg my hearing improved and pain improved after second tab but so far very good response. It’s important to drink plenty of water which minimises side effects. I do have a bit of a strange taste."

Pennorth (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2019

For Sinusitis: "After reading reviews, I was pretty apprehensive about taking Clarithromycin. However, it worked just fine for me. I took it for two weeks. I really had no side effects other than a little dry mouth at night. I never had a bad taste, no vivid dreams, and I did not get a yeast infection or stomach problems. Just keep in mind that people react differently to medication."

Amanda (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2019

For Sinusitis: "Prescribed Clarithromycin 500mg twice a day for 4 weeks for a resistant sinus infection (cannot take penicillin derivatives). It seems to be working 4 days in - only 24 to go! Only side effects are bad taste in mouth (everyone get this!) and some diarrheoa but since I also suffer from IBS, this in a strange way helps."

PatrickN (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2019

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "I was put on a 5 day course of 500mg Clarithromycin for tonsillitis and I found it to be wonderful. I haven't experienced any upset stomach or funny taste in my mouth. The tonsillitis was much more comfortable within 3 days. I just have to wait now to see if taking this medicine will stop my immune system causing guttate psoriasis which has happened several times before after tonsillitis."

Didi (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2019

For Bronchitis: "I was prescribed 500mg twice a day for a nasty case of bronchitis. It took 2-3 days to kick in but I am getting better now. That’s the upside. The downside is I have painful headaches, my eyes are sensitive to light and my eyelids are drooping. These are not symptoms I normally experience with antibiotics, and it’s rare for me to get a headache. I’m drinking lots of water, so not dehydrated. And I also have the nasty taste in my mouth. Conclusion: There are better antibiotics with less side effects"

Jules (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2019

For Sinusitis: "I'm currently on this medication and I can hardly come to finish the course!!!! I have constant diarrhea, a metallic taste 24/7, and I do not eat or drink anything all day. Night time is the worst, constantly have to wake up and spit out the nasty taste in my mouth, and I can't seem to ever get any good sleep cause my dreams are so vivid + the constant waking up to a bad taste. I will make sure to never take this medication again, it really is the worst I have EVER been on! (and I have been on a lot!!)"

Haley (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2019

For Bronchitis: "On my second course of this (back to back). It has given me severe reflux and the repulsive, bitter taste in my mouth is there 24/7. Nothing clears the bitterness. Nothing. Two more days to go. Seems to be slowly clearing the bronchitis but has otherwise, wiped the floor with me. I thought I'd die from yesterday's headache. But the reflux is the worst symptom, hands down. I hope the reflux and bitterness disappear once I finish it. Ugh!"

Madeira (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2019

For Sinusitis: "Taking 2 a day for a week for an ear infection I have in both ears (fluid behind the drum) the first 2 days I felt violently sick but luckily didn't actually throw up. I’ve also had a strange taste of perfume or dissolved paracetamol in my mouth constantly to the point I’m gagging. I still can’t hear out of any of my ears so not been effective at all for me unfortunately"

Alexandra January 24, 2019

For Sinusitis: "This drug give me none , or very little bad taste in mouth, it cleared up sinus and throat infection extremely fast, best antibiotic I’ve ever had, and yes it did give me some horrible dreams!! But it’s hardly the end of the world, good fun actually.... get it into ya"

Lav (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2019

For Mycoplasma Pneumonia: "I was prescribed clarithromycin by my GP for pneumonia : 2 tablets, twice a day, for 7 days. I do feel better.... but I noticed another thing this antibiotic helped cure. When I was brushing my sensitive teeth... I noticed no more bleeding ... no more gingivitis. I Googled " clarithromycin and gingivitis" and was surprised to find a case study on this topic with the same results from the patient."

LD (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2019

For Mycoplasma Pneumonia: "I had a chest infection which was attempted to be treated with amoxicillin, after becoming very unwell and admitted to hospital temp 41c , heart rate of 160. I was isolated and presumed to have flu - i had Mycoplasma Pneumoniae. I was treated for two days in hospital and prescribed 500mg clarythromycin twice daily for two weeks. I am now on day 8 and do feel better but I am still coughing up a lot of 'gunk'. The only side affect I would say is a bit of an upset tummy but I've no appetite anyway."

Nurseontheotherside January 10, 2019

For Skin and Structure Infection: "Not sure how the drug helped the finger infection (Paronychia) which seemed to get worse before getting better (which it might have done on its own). The only side effect I suffered was the metallic taste in mouth, but I have to say that this was a hideous experience, particularly at night. Have a constant urge to spit to get rid of the taste (a bit like what happens before you vomit), but the taste comes back almost immediately. I am not sure if I can make it to the end of the course and I only have a couple more days to go! "

clarithromycin hater (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2019

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "I am on day 4 of a five day course and have never felt so ill. I started with tonsillitis which progressed to vomiting, diahorea, dry mouth a terrible metallic taste , headache , feeling like I was going to pass out, stomach cramps, the list has been endless for me . The tonsillitis actually seemed to get better after 2 days and I don't understand why I have been prescribed a medication that has made me feel so ill."

De De (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2019

For Sinusitis: "I have been using this for 3 days and it had been great. It did give me a fever the first dose, but after that no issues. It does cause a metallic, almost soapy, taste that lingers but nothing some menthol drops don't over power."

Yearly sinus issue (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2019

For Sinusitis: "I had a really bad sinus infection and was put onto this drug I noticed I don't want to eat or drink as it is altering my appetite and I'm a diabetic so definitely not good for lows. I'm more tired and exhausted easily since being on this drug and nauseous. Also diarrhea is a challenge even with probiotics and tummy cramps"

Megsi (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2019

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "My doctor prescribed me this with amoxicillin for H. Pylori. First few days it made my stomach even more upset. WORST TASTE EVER! It's so gross and makes my mouth feel so dry and raw my tongue is inflamed. Boy.. did it work? Yes, my stomach started feeling better day 4. Was it worth it? I'd say yes. But be prepared to keep sipping on things and eat lots of hard candy to keep a nice taste in your mouth. I got a few more days to go hopefully this goes away for good!"

SABBs (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2018

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Bronchitis: "Beware - do not mix with Zantac (ranitidine)....horrendous diarrhea...."

Suze (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2018