User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Pharyngitis 4 reviews 47 medications

Legionella Pneumonia 1 reviews 26 medications

Mycobacterium avium-...ulare, Treatment 1 reviews 12 medications

Summary of Clarithromycin reviews 365 reviews 5.5

Reviews for Clarithromycin

For Bronchitis: "Was prescribed this after a 5-day, then a 7-day course of a different antibiotic each time led to bronchial symptoms (with increased body temperatures) never fully going away and strongly reasserting themselves in a few days. The 500mg tablets are a pain to swallow (you need lots of water to flush them all the way down) and, as most respondents report, cause a permanent nasty bitter taste in the mouth. However, by Day 3 I was feeling much better and now mid-way through Day 4 coughing nearly gone and phlegm much reduced. Temperature also back to normal. In short, feel practically ready resume working."

Wheezy 77 y.o. (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bronchitis: "I was so sick with coughing I didn't care what I took. I didn't eat for a week as l lost my appetite. I had diarrhoea, sweating, bad taste in mouth and now I'm feeling better I have a rash all over my body which I think is antibiotics. The rash is itchy but nothing compared to how I felt 10 days ago."

Jaisja February 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I have been on them 2 days and I'm suffering from them. The taste in my mouth is like perfume, I'm vomiting and the bad taste doesn't help. It's made me feel so unwell. I'm taking them for a infection I'm my upper leg. I hate them won't take them again. "

B p February 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Bronchitis: "I had to leave a review for this medicine because I consider it to be a wonder drug. I am prone to bronchitis and I've tried everything: amoxicillin, augmentin, ampicillin, z-pack, omnicef, etc. Biaxin is the only--and I mean ONLY--drug that will work on my bronchitis. The worst side effect for me is hunger to the point where I feel like my stomach is eating itself, but I'll gladly temporarily put up with that rather than cough myself to death! This is an amazing medication--it gets the job done when nothing else will."

Liz2222 February 12, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bronchitis: "I started taking this drug for a chest infection 3 days ago. So far .... The taste in my mouth is so vile I cannot even begin to describe it. Every swallow makes me shudder. I feel sick and have no appetite. I have have acute pain in my stomach and side , I guessed from lack of solid food which has left me gasping as the cramps set in. I'm actually constipated, which differs from others experiences, but who knows, its day 3 after all. Sleep is here and there, sometimes I get a solid hour and I just feel exhausted. I've stayed in bed. I have lower back pain, and feel like I'm at deaths door. I also have no concentration and desire to complete simple tasks. Won't be keen to repeat this again in a hurry"

TrackyLou February 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Sinusitis: "I got hit with chills, body aches and an extremely high fever out of no where (started and sky rocketed in an hour). I went to my doctor and she prescribed Clarithromycin - 500mg for 7 days, a nasal spray and ear drops for an ear infection. The first night I took it I did not feel any side effects, the 2nd and 3rd night I felt nauseous, a lot of pain in my abdominal area and could not fall asleep. This drug tastes like horse poo mixed with garbage, it leaves a vile taste in your mouth. However, it has helped with my infection, I am starting to come back to normal and general weakness has left my body. * Someone recommended swishing salt water to help with the taste, if you do this 3-4 times a day IT WILL HELP. Good luck to you all."

Jay124 February 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Sinusitis: "I've suffered chronic sinusitis for years and after building up a tolenrece for most antibiotics I was put on clarithromycin. After the first day I was experience severe diarrhea and the awful taste in my mouth, it's now day 4, after the constant chemical taste (absolute torture) and waking up two nights in a row from nightmares I quit. Done taking this and will NEVER take it again. Wasn't helping my sinus infection anyways."

Izzymo February 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Pneumonia: "I'm in day 3 of taking this antibiotic having being diagnosed with a severe chest infection. Within 48 hours the stabbing pain and aches in my chest has completley disappeared. I have a awful bitter taste like an aerosol spray/some sort of gas in my mouth. Cleaning my teeth and drinking helps this but it always feels worst at night :( Last night I had a bad nightmare but after that slept well. I've had lots of tummy gurgling and today feel really nausea :( Have also been going to the loo more then usual! I'm pretty anxious about taking the next 4 days but unsure if there is anything else I can take? I'm allergic to penicillin."

Alicat## February 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Sinusitis: "After being sick for a month and a half, after a useless round of Amoxclav, my doctor finally prescribed Biaxin and Prednidone for my sinus infection. Within a day I was able to breathe through my nose. My only complaint is the absolutely disgusting aftertaste...and the occasional upset stomach. I think the side effects are worth it as I finally feel good for the first time in weeks."

ElleMichelle999 February 5, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Strep Throat: "Worked great for a severe bronchitis infection that I thought would kill me. Only downside is this medication leaches potassium from your stores like 90,000 mgs each time you take so that's a lot. If you start experiencing leg cramps or heart palpitations this is why. Doctors should be giving you a course of potassium supplements each time along with these but surprisingly never do. I near took a heart attack coz was so low on potassium. This medication blocks off the potassium ion channel to the heart in the process of killing your infection so grand if your potassium is good but very dangerous if its not. Again it should be getting replaced when this is prescribed coz if you take it a few times your potassium will be gone from body."

Melicece February 4, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Sinusitis: "Took the antibiotic for only three days felt good for one day Next day, caused sleepiness, back pain, then full blown urinary tract infection, and a yeast infection and the chills . I had a very strong medicine type of taste in my mouth and dry mouth. I stopped this medicine right away, And called my my naturopathic .who is also a Chinese Medicine doctor .And he cured my sinus issues, it was caused from dairy and wheat allergic reaction and my other issues, with no no side effects, I decided I am too sensitive, therefore for me alternative is the only way to go,What is the point of taking something that causes two other issues that you have to treat."

1GRACE (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bronchitis: "I am taking clarithromycin is my second day , My mouth taste terrible and I feel pain in my chest for acid reflux, I hope taking more medicine doesn't make it worst."

Keka February 2, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bronchitis: "Wow this medication is effective but is the vilest thing I have ever taken . I felt compelled to write on a review on this website seeing others have been through hell taking that it. First off started to have stomach pain, bloating, winds and general " feeling sick " feeling a couple of hours after taking it, 24 hours down the line and after having ingested my 3rd tablet I had the most excrutating pain in the stomach that got me to lie down in a foetal position for 3 hours, it felt like someone was yanking my gut out of my body. I had fever and chills and also the metallic taste has been non stop present as well. This stuff has severe side effects, I'm quitting 36 hours into it as it is unbearable "

UKpatient January 29, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Sinusitis: "Third time taking a 10 day dose of this medication for reoccurring sinusitis. After the 1st day, I immediately get relief from this medication which is great and around day three I usually feel almost 100% back to normal but I do experience the metallic taste in my mouth, upset stomach this time around for some unknown reason and all three times I developed yeast infections (never had one in my life before until I took this medicine, I also take a daily acidophilus supplement which does nothing for the yeast infection in my case). For those reasons I am not a huge fan of this but am allergic to penicillin and sulfa drugs."

Anonymous January 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bronchitis: "I have always been vulnerable to bronchitis and pneumonia. This antibiotic is the only thing that works. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth yes but I know that after 10 days I will be done and better. Before I was prescribed this, I would often have to take more then 10 days of antibiotics in order to get better."

Leisl Findley (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Strep Throat: "Whenever I got sick from season flu or cold, I always had sore throat and cough, my Doctor will usually gave me this medicine (Biaxin) and I was told this a good medicine. It worked fast to clear your strep throat (Sore throat). A few hours after taking this medicine it made me feel better. I love Biaxin instead Amoxin or other medicines."

Anonymous January 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Strep Throat: "I am allergic to penicillin and a few other antibiotics, so this was the best choice to clear my strep. Outside of the terrible metallic taste that I experienced within 6 hours of taking the Clarithromycin, the medication works very well. After 24 hours of being on this medication my throat feels so much better, my dizziness has subsided, and I no longer feel extremely weak and fatigued. My stomach is a little upset but it is not unbearable. I would rather take a minor upset stomach and metallic taste in my mouth over the extreme throat pain and fatigue the strep caused. As far as insomnia I'm more of a night owl so I couldn't say if the medication has contributed to my restlessness. I think this medication is a great therapy for strep."

MoniBell (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Strep Throat: "I was so poorly I was shaking, sweating, cough, sore throat, sinusitis, migraine ... you name it! It hit me like a ton of bricks. After trip to out of hours doctor via 111 phone call I was prescribed these antibiotics. End of day 2 and I was feeling much better and by day 4 taking the medicine back at work and almost feeling fully recovered. Apart of a bad taste in my mouth and thirsty, no other side effect :)"

Catstick January 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Strep Throat: "I've been on a 7 day course of this drug at 500mg twice daily for strep throat. It has to have been one of the most unpleasant experiences I've ever had with an anti-biotic. Now, I could put up with the awful metallic taste but the absolutely horrendous nausea and fever I was getting was something else. That was aside from the insomnia side effect I received in addition. It doesn't do anything for my Strep Throat either, Flagyl is much more effective than this at a lower dosage than Clarithromycin in even a 5 day course. I would seriously warn anyone who, like myself, cannot take penicillin based medications to seek out an alternate anti-biotic first."

Annabelle5276 January 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Sinusitis: "I have been sick for nearly 3 weeks now. I had pneumonia and a sinus infection. I had a full course of Levaquin and 60mg of Prednisone a day, and while it did help at first, it did not clear up the sinus infection. 2 days after taking my last dose I couldn't breathe and had the sinus infection trigger a migraine causing me to throw up on top of everything else. I was rushed to the Dr. where I was given 3 shots (Steroids, Rocephen, and Tordal/Zofran) and put on 500mg twice a day of Clarithromycin. This antibiotic has been a God send for me. Yes my stomach gets crampy, I have mild nausea, and very vivid dreams, but after 4 days of this medicine I am feeling so much stronger. I absolutely recommend it."

Ginna'lyn January 15, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "Took generic Biaxin (500mg 2x a day) / clarythromicin and it quickly made my illness go away but at the expense of crummy side effects. Never had medicine make me have such bad digestive effects (diarrhea) plus severe headaches and spells of dizzyness. After three days called the doctor and he immediately changed my medicine. I do not recommend this medicine at all."

Njguy33 (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Sinusitis: "In March 2016 had a very mild sinus infection. Typically other antibiotics work so have no clue why this poison was prescribed. I only made it through the 2nd-3rd dose. Anyway, I had the worst headache that ended with me in the emergency room. I then had tinnitus that sounded like crickets chirping for nearly a month. A couple weeks after ending this I started to have full right arm numbness that kinda worried me and that was immediately followed by vision loss, extreme fatique and confusion. After rounds with doctors I finally got a real scan and it showed I was suffering from an internal carotid dissection. Hello anticoagulant for a pretty healthy 40 year old. I am not sure if it was related to this drug or not. Awful drug."

brewsky (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I am on the 6th day of my treatment for H.Pylori. And, it is true that the combination of Amoxicillin, clarithromycin and Nexium brings a bitter taste to your taste but believe me, it's worth it. I am happy for getting diagnosed early and getting well soon."

Anonymous January 5, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Sinusitis: "I take the meds as I am also allergic to penicillin. Here's a tip for all you with sinus problems.. quit sniffing stuff up your nose!"

SmarterDanU January 4, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Bad taste in mouth can be helped in my opinion by sucking fruit pastilles, the ones with sugar on. Had this drug before. Smaller doses ok., but the 500mg x 2 per day is awful. Will not be prescribed with this again!!"

Crommir January 1, 2017