User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Legionella Pneumonia

1 review 26 medications
Mycobacterium avium-...ulare, Treatment

1 review 12 medications
Bacterial Endocarditis PreventionNot rated - Be the first1 review 56 medications
Summary of Clarithromycin reviews 5.6 498 reviews

Reviews for Clarithromycin

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I’ve been on this antibiotic for nearly a week and within the first couple days it cleared up most of my infection. This antibiotic is amazing and I think I’m the only one who actually enjoys the taste of it lmao"

Az (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2018

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I was prescribed these for a false widow spider bite on my knee! I have a bad reaction to penicillin!! I’m on my last day. I do have that distinct taste in my mouth but that tells me it’s working. I’ve not had an upset stomach. I’m hoping it clears the infection on my knee. Still a bit itchy so unsure. What it also cleared though is my skin. It looks healthier and fresher and I’ve had these 3 little lumps on my cheek for must be over 2 years now and all the squeezing in the world was not moving them, they have now finally given in and disappeared so I’m buzzing. Lots came out for the size of them as they were tiny but they must have been deep in the tissue. Hope this helps."

Bon (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2018

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Hi I'm taking 7 day course of this antibiotics I feel weirdly anxious and panicky on it I also have stomach rumbling and sometimes nausea I give it 5 as it is curing my one month cold but I hate the side effects"

axmfri (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2018

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "I had a really bitter taste in my mouth, even after brushing my teeth 3 times a day. I also had an upset stomach, but they cleared the infection quickly."

Chrisi (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2018

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "Not nearly as bad as I expected. The first day I had a very intense reaction, but found it was just because I was allergic to Omeprazole. When I didn't take it, the only side effects I had were moderate dizziness and an occasional metallic taste. It didn't hinder the taste of food. I am quite sensitive to medications and Clarithromycin hardly bothered me at all. The dizziness even faded after 3 days and I was able to function normally, even exercise. Also, some other advice, as I am a pharmacist. One person mentioned to take this with soda. I advise against that because soft drinks contain phosphoric acid and will likely exacerbate symptoms. Another notable interaction is milk products like ice cream. It helps for a short time, but then the rebound acid makes it worse. Probiotics are not clinically proven to help eradicate the bacteria, but I do recall reading a study that showed they can reduce the gastric inflammation. Good luck, whoever reads this, and I wish you a happy cure."

JennyRph July 31, 2018

For Sinusitis: "After taking this medication for two days I got a massive headache which I originally thought was from the sinus infection. I kept taking it for three more days with a continual massive headache. Finally I looked up side effects of this and this has to be the cause. The headaches make me nauseous and Tylenol and Advil don’t even touch it. I threw the rest out and can’t wait until this is out of my system. I have never had such horrible headaches and contemplated having my husband take me to the emergency room for pain relief. I will never ever take this again. It caused me four wasted days on the couch with a pounding headache. Horrible."

Sue July 15, 2018

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Otitis Media: "I did not have any problems taking Biaxin ! It worked really fast !"

Darla (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2018

For Bronchitis: "man Clarithromycin worked well for what it supposed to do, but the side effect of that weird taste and smell is awful. I can't eat anything or even smoke without even vomiting from taste and smell of everything"

jack (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2018

For Pneumonia: "!!IMPORTANT INFOMATION!!! - DO NOT SPLIT OR CRUSH THIS TABLET, this antibiotic is a slow release medicine it travels through the gastrointestinal tract and slowly dissolves. A broken tablet will lose it's integrity and in turn it's intended effect can be lost entirely or severely undermined. started the course after a night of high fever and severe trouble breathing: day 1 12:00AM: x2 250mg Tablets day 1 9:00PM: x1 250mg Tablet day 2 9:00AM x1 250mg Tablet repeat 12 hour cycles 14 units to be completed Notable side effects current day DIRECTLY attributed to Clarithromycin (day 3): require minimal sleep without fatigue EXTREMELY bloated and mildly uncomfortable belly. Ensure you take Pro-biotics with ANY Anti-biotics, come on people it's in the name!"

SickTravler (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2018

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "I have had a horrific experience with this drug. I had severe breathing difficulties and had to call out the ambulance one night it got so bad. The scariest experience ever!!! Avoid like the plague. Also headaches and that metallic taste is hard to shake off."

Nicky (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2018

For Skin and Structure Infection: "I'm a 22 year old female, I have been suffering from chronic laryngitis for around 2 months so once my life stopped being very busy, I went to the doctors and they put me on Clarithomycin. I got home and took the antibiotic on an empty stomach, worst thing I could do because although I ate cereal straight after, it made me violently sick and nauseous. I have been on the medication for 3 days now and I have been completely unable to leave the house or do anything productive because I am nauseous, I keep heating up and feeling ravenously hungry after eating just 15 mins ago."

Joanne930219 (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2018

For Sinusitis: "I cannot in good conscience recommend this drug. I was prescribed it for a recurring sinus infection for 10 days, and had to stop it after 6 days. The metallic taste it gave me in my mouth HAS NOT GONE AWAY and it is ONE MONTH since I finished taking Clarithromycin/Biaxin. I'm in disbelief and horror that an antibiotic has done this to me. It's affected my sense of taste terribly, and given me a very dry mouth 24/7 - really unpleasant. I also had the nightmares that other patients have mentioned, and am shocked that this seems to be another side effect. I will be avoiding this antibiotic at all costs in the future, and just really hope that the metallic taste/dry mouth rights itself over time - although I don't feel hopeful after a month."

Fi (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2018

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "On day three, forth dose of clarithromycin in combination of 1000mg of Amoxicillin (twice a day)/500mg of Clarithromycin (twice a day)/40mg of Omeprazole (once a day). I have a mild cough that I am associating with the metallic flavor that Clarithromycin gives since I had it on day two and the taste got so bad that I would cough and gag. And that was while working. Not fun, but what can you do? So far no other symptoms. However, I saw a review that mentioned using soda as a way to reduce the metallic taste and it works! I highly recommend buying soda to take with your medication. I was so relieved to realize that the taste never seemed to to appear or at least wasn't as strong as it had been. Also, find coupons for your medication! I would have sent $122 on the Clarithromycin and Omeprazole alone if not for this site since I don't have insurance! As it was, I wound up paying $56.02 for the two and had spent about $7.50 for the Amoxicillin."

Storm June 8, 2018

For Strep Throat: "HORRIBLE. I tested positive for strep when I initially went in and had very few symptoms after 5 days on the medication my symptoms increased exponentially. I have had strep numerous times and this is the only time I had such situation happen. I ended up spending time in the ER because I needed to get on some EFFECTIVE meds immediately so I could continue going to work. And lets just say that was a process. All in all do not let your doctor prescribe you this for strep there are many other medications available. Just save yourself the time, stress, and money."

HiThere May 31, 2018

For Sinusitis: "This is my first day taking these. I've had 2 operations on my nose for polyps. I've been back to hospital cos have no sense of smell again to find out I have more polyips and bad infection. My doctor also gave me other tablets with these. Prednisolone which I have to take 4 in morning and omeprazole 1 in morning and clarithromycin 2 a day. I did notice this morning had weird taste in my mouth at least now i know what caused it but went. After an hour I felt bit tired but even though only started today I'm going to keep taking them. I think I'll cope with side effects if they help me smell again."

Sharon (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2018

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Sinusitis: "I have had sinus surgery due to chronic sinus infections that would not relent. (turns out I had an abscess) After three different antibiotics the ENT finally cultured my sinuses and Biaxin was the big winner! It works for me every time and I can tell a difference within 12 hours of taking first dose. If you have chronic sinus infections, get an ENT."

Michelle May 4, 2018

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I got given these for my eczema they are the worse tablets I've ever took I struggle to take them now because once I took one I go ever so tired and I can't be like that as I'm a single mom to a 1 year old. These tablets leave a nasty taste in your mouth and they make you feel so sick the only good thing about them is they are working they have calmed my eczema down so much."

Sammy (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2018

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "I took this twice a day (500mg) for seven days and could not wait for the course to be over. I’ve never suffered from side effects to a medication before, but I had an awful headache from day 3 onwards and the metallic/bitter taste in my mouth was really awful and made me feel nauseous and affected my sleep. I’d request a different medication if you can!"

Steph 103 (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2018

For Bronchitis: "It is great to treat strep and other bacterial infection if you have a resistance to "weaker" antibiotics. DO NOT FORGET to take probiotics with this medication!! It is really important."

Slavmi1 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2018

For Dental Abscess: "I was given this 500mg 2x a day after Amox did not completely knock out an infection. It took my pain away, but on the 6th day I got a racing heart so bad that I thought I was having a heart attack. I thought it was due to a protein drink I just drank (I was still on only soft foods for the extraction). I thought to no longer drink that drink and tried my best to sleep. The next day I had just a slightly odd feeling in my heart. I took the meds and within the hour I felt awful. I was scared to stop taking it. I took one more dose that day and hours after I knew I had to stop. I looked online and saw it can cause problems in people with heart issues including sudden death. Good grief! I had no other side effects. No nightmares, no gut issues (I upped how many probiotics I take on antibiotics) I only had the racing heart and palpitations that made my heart feel like it would explode. I did not sleep last night because I was holding my chest and praying to God. Be careful & mind yourself."

TM April 29, 2018

For Sinusitis: "Worst drug I've ever taken. I took it for four days 500mg twice a day. It may have helped with sinus infection but it wiped me off my feet Terrible taste in my mouth, upset stomach, diarrhea and felt like I was going to faint at times I'll fight the infection on my own.. :("

Ella (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2018

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "I have fever with infected tonsils, Dr. prescribed me clarithromycin 2 times a day with Omeprazole before meal and paracetamol every six hours. Second day today and the fever broke down to normal. Dr cautioned me about the taste which I have to tolerate. Rest every thing under control."

Rizwan (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2018

For Bronchitis: "My doctor said I have bronchitis, as I have had a cough for 3 weeks, but no fever & not feeling ill. I recently moved from a hot, humid climate to a cold, dry climate. I was put on this for 10 days, 2x a day. 1st night it knocked me out & I felt like absolute garbage the next morning. I couldn't make it into work-nausea, loss of appetite, diarrhea, anxiety, agitation, crying spells & sweats, but it wore off throughout the day. I ended up going back to the doctor after I took another dose last night, because I felt very agitated. I saw a different doctor this time, who stated I do not have bronchitis, just seasonal cough from the move. She recommended I stay on for at least 3 days, just in case, but to use Benadryl, nasal spray and Pepcid. I am on my 4th dose & I feel crummy, but not as bad as the first day. I ate yogurt and took probiotic with the subsequent doses & did not have diarrhea. Hopefully will never have to take this again. I never had side effects like this with amoxicillin"

Beib (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2018

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I'm on day 4 of a combo of clarithromycin, amoxicilln and omeprazole. I stumbled across this forum and lots of scary side effects. As a few have said I've only had the awful taste in my mouth, nothing else. After 2 days I feel great!! Like my old self . Everyone has different side effects but the people that have bad ones are more likely to comment. Stay positive. These tabs will work."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2018

For Strep Throat: "I am allergic to penicillin so normally get prescribed Erythromycin. This time, the Doc prescribed Clarithromycin 500mg x 2 per day. Quite a large tablet for a sore throat but they do go down easily. I am quite sensitive but these have been ok. Some sporadic diarrhoea but not too bad. Nasty taste in my mouth in the morning which is weird. Tingling skin on hands, again a bit weird, but nothing too bad. Throat cleared up really quickly but I took full course as advised. Very pleased with the drug. Better than erythromycin that I am usually prescribed."

Orlando (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2018