User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Pharyngitis 4 reviews 47 medications

Legionella Pneumonia 1 reviews 26 medications

Mycobacterium avium-...ulare, Treatment 1 reviews 12 medications

Summary of Clarithromycin reviews 413 reviews 5.3

Reviews for Clarithromycin

For Sinusitis: "Only on day three of this medication and having occasional relief from my sinus infection pain. The only side effect I've had so far is this horrible taste in my mouth. I read on this site that someone used salt water swish in their mouth to cover it and it really works. Just 10 seconds of swishing and the taste is gone. I've had to do this every couple of hours but it's better than that terrible taste."

gtmac (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Bronchitis: "Prescribed this drug several years ago. Shortly after taking it I went 5 nights without sleep and was subsequently hospitalized for a manic episode with delusions. It took months to recover from the depression that followed. I was on mood stabilizers for a year and a half post episode before gaining enough courage to ween off entirely. It has been a few years now that I am clean and clear of all medications. Mentally stable and back to working in emergency medicine. I have since stayed far away from the entire "myocin" family of antibiotics for fear that I am hypersensitive. Highly recommend staying away from this drug."

JRutabaga September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "It seems this is a love/hate type of drug. I'm allergic or have severe side effects to many antibiotics. My guess is most people that do not have a problem with this antibiotic do not post. This is my antibiotic of choice. I do not get any of the side effects and never had anything but positive results over the years. Be reasonable - discuss it with your doctor and a pharmacist on what most patient responses are to this drug. Personally I've never asked because it works great for me."

Asthma-Sufferer September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pneumonia: "Amazing antibiotic! Bad taste in mouth first few days but went away...actually my stomach felt better while I was on this medication."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I am taking this medicine, and today is day #5 and had insomnia (never had before). I have a bitter taste and only once had heart palpitation. I am worried about the liver effect, hope no damage or bad effects. Regarding sinus infection, I had that few years ago, and for 6 months was suffering really badly, being on antibiotics three times and no effect. There was a blockage of 90% of right side of the sinus. My doctor scheduled me for a surgery (in two months time). Went on a beach vacation. My last hope was to experiment with ocean water. Jumping in ocean water 25-50 times/day and nasal rinsing ocean water 50-80 times/d for 7 days was miracle for me. Before surgery consultation I had a CT done that showed everything cleared up, no surgery needed."

Anonymous September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "My husband had h pylori I was scared so I got my self tested I was positive I had no symptoms I took all 4 medication 2 days of treatment I felt sick so I stop taking the omeprazole I found out that was the cause of making me sick and I took the other three medication with a glass of sweet tea that help a lot with all those pills I had to take so my advice is to not take your medication with water take it with a soda juice tea or anything u prefer it helps with the taste had no problem after that .. they say it's not contagious but I seriously think it is"

H pylori August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Sinusitis: "I used this twice and worked each time. However I used clav recently for swelling in my chin and while it the clav is bringing down the swelling. The sinusitis is coming back! I think I will need to go on a dose of biaxin after this clav."

Sinusitis King (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pertussis: "I have only just started taking this tablet and feel a bit rubbish already, its 2am I have a vile horrid taste in my mouth, tried swilling my mouth with copius amounts of water, it does not work, stomach is making hideous gurgling noises and feel gassy but I do have a very sensitive stomach and I know this drug is going to cripple me. However my breathing seems a little itsy improved as docs say I have whooping cough! I am on this for 10 days yet- 19 more big horrid bulky tablets to suffer yet. "

Rmichelle (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I was put on clarithromycin for an infected abscess on my chin after not responding to minocycline or bactrim. I am officially off of it after 1 week. In the past week I developed severe acute anxiety that caused me to have a four hour panic attack (my first ever). Additionally, I have a history of bad acid reflux as a symptom of celiac, and this medication made it so that my reflux was so severe I literally could not eat. My throat felt like it was closing and I had trouble swallowing anything. All foods, even basics like bananas and chicken made me feel like I was going to die. Constant belching, pressure on chest, heartburn made me concerned of heart attack, then panic attack. Also had severe headaches. Did not work for me"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "I was prescribed this medication for a nasty chest infection. I lasted 3 days and couldn't handle the anxiety and depression that came along with the antibiotics. I felt tired and extremely edgy all the time. I felt like I was going crazy with all the racing thoughts. I had to take a Valium to calm myself down. Never again !"

Nick manam August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Otitis Media: "Clarithromycin is extremely effective but unfortunately, it tastes horrid and leaves a disgusting taste in your mouth, to get rid of the taste I recommend eating a banana and gargling some water. Though it is effective there are many side effects e.g, Diarrhoea, Nausea, Sickness and others. I am still taking Clarithromycin, I suffered from multiple symptoms, Motion Sickness, Diarrhoea and Nausea are the ones I suffer from but it could be different for someone else. If you do take Clarithromycin for Otitis the symptoms are added to the side effects, I still had a full feeling in my ear, problems with balance, ear ache and a head ache so be wary of that. I recommend resting and not moving your head fast/too much."

Kacey W (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis: "I only took this one time for an ear infection and water behind the eardrum. I took another antibiotic's k-pack that I reacted really well too and the pain in the ear was almost gone. Nevertheless, when I went back to the ENT he changed the prescription to this Clarithromycin. It made me so nauseous, I wasn't willing to risk taking it any more. I am not a "doctor going" person. I usually wait until my pain is really bad or I have had symptoms really long. I had water behind the eardrum and dulled hearing for 8 months before I went the first time. This antibiotic, like all antibiotics and medicines, work differently on different bodies because of chemistry. Great if this worked for you, but it definitely made me sick."

Foodforthought August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I have taken this and I had a very bitter taste in my mouth and still do as the course isn't finished but I do not want to take it anymore. Couldn't stop coughing and I haven't got a cold but have got a coughing tic however, it was worse with this medicine. Please try to avoid taking this unless u absolutely have to."

Idk123124 (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis: "It's been 3 days and I CANNOT SLEEP AT ALL!!! I will stop using this!!"

gurljac July 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin and Structure Infection: "Put on this for suspected Diverticulitis after amoxicillin. Day 1 saw no real improvement except a slight lowering of my temperature though still too high and a decrease in my runs to the loo. The downside, the pain. The stomach cramps were bad enough from the diverticulitis but coupled with this became borderline unbearable. Paracodol was the only thing to ease the pain. Day 2 I started noticing the pattern, as well as the vile taste in my mouth, which woke me Repeatedly, and the thirst. I also noticed the nausea hit hard about 10 minutes after the tablet, retching, belching etc. Also came the poops... again... the only think I could do was take paracodol and try to sleep it off. Which brings me to the dreams... vivid, erratic and scary."

$#!t$ and giggles (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "If you're reading this post then odds are you been scouring the internet freaking out and learning about h plyori....and coming across so many negative reviews about the medication. Look guys, you've got a bad infection that basically has 2 layer of protection. You have to attach this bad bug hard and heavy to bust through and kill it. I'm on day 7! And yes the first day I was scared because of the new feelings in my body....weakness, somewhat bad taste in mouth, a little brain fog...but it is NOT THAT BAD! By day 3 I felt like I'm cured! After the first day it gets easier and easier, just take with food and when the side effects show up be calm and cool and relax, if you just relax it's simple. "

Mike Monroe (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis: "Day 1: bitter taste in my mouth after taking the first 500mg at night. Nauseous. Took it after a meal, then I felt sick after. Was able to sleep ok. Day 2: small rashes on my hand, legs, and neck. Not too many but still, they are rashes. Nauseous. Couldn't sleep at night. This was the first day of doing morning and night 500mg each. Coughed a bit in a span of one hour. Normally I cough for 2 hours when I haven't taken the antibiotics. Sleep was ok. Day 3: rashes, fast heart beat, shivering, feeling sick, feeling hot like having low grade fever, it is 247am and I am up. Feeling tired, my upper back hurts. Coughed a lot from 830pm-1230am. Fell asleep for a few minutes but woke up to the feeling of losing breath. Must be an allergic reaction"

Makaivilo July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "Taking this medicine is a challenge. The metallic after taste can drive you to overeat just to get the taste out of your mouth. That being said it is the most effective antibiotic for me as I am allergic to penicillin & z packs just don't do the complete job. I have been struggling with a sinus infection for 16 months & have been on antibiotics 6 times. I am a voracious reader & researcher. I am now in my 4th week of clarithro & am having success. What made this round different was learning that most of the vitamins taken inhibit the effectiveness of clarithro. No supplements for the month. Pain control is with naproxen & benadryl. Flucanozole 2x a day. Ear issues, bend at waist & do the spray for eustachion tubes. Helps move the crud out!"

Mabek July 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I am on day three of this thing. I've missed this mornings dose because I felt deathly nauseous and depressed as thus stuff has me bedridden. I called in sick today. I work from home anyway, but I called in sick. I didn't even want to get the laptop from the living room to email I was that tired and lifeless from about 11 hours of "almost going to vomit" nausea. This stuff is brutal. I'm sitting here looking at the next dose scared to take it, but if thus thing works then its the possibility of a lifetime of normality. Weighing up the odds of four more days of hell but if it doesn't work then next treatment will probably be more brutal. My mother had this triple therapy and has only complained of slight nausea and bad taste .So nauseous&depressed:("

Bushell79 July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Not sure what I have as the doctors refuse to run any tests, but I've basically got something with sinuses and a really bad cough nearing two months now. I first got Amoxicillin, which got rid of the tickly cough, but otherwise may have actually made it worse (but on the bright side, I had minimal side effects). This one seems to have minimised the actual coughing fits, but by day 5 it hasn't fixed much else, unfortunately. I was otherwise physically exhausted as well, but the first two days of these were a complete knock out for me. I'd sleep 12h, take the pill, be up for 2h before desperately needing a nap. I also got the constant metallic taste and upset stomach/diarrhoea and trouble falling asleep. Definitely need probiotics with these"

Chessu (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "I had terrible hip and rib pain and sensitive to the touch pain in the bones there. Lower back pain and discomfort in the lower bowel area. This was like nothing I had experienced before. I am still having pain in those regions even tho I stopped the drug 3 days ago after taking 8, 500 Mg tablets over 5 days prior. Pain started on day 2 of taking the med and got progressively worse until I stopped taking the drug. There was also a terrible metallic taste constantly in my mouth, especially worse at night. I don't recommend ever taking this drug."

N4653 (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "2 pills a day for 7 days. Wow. I am finally done taking this medication for an ear infection that was caused by a sinus infection. I had almost all the side effects listed, sadly. Heart palpitations, headache, nausea, hunger pains, acid reflux, insomnia, diarrhea and metallic taste in mouth all night long! Unreal. It's my last day and although I feel better, I now feel like I am recovering from all the side effects of this drug! My advice is to take it with a lot of food and probiotics! You will need to find a way to counteract all the side effects! I'm not sure it's even worth taking, to be honest. Heart palpitations alone made me feel like I had a heart attack waiting to happen."

SMLo June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Otitis Media: "I have a lot of ear infections due to an ENT issue and have been prescribed this twice in the past year. Both times it gave me horrible, vivid nightmares. It also leaves a horrible taste in the mouth for a few hours after taking a dose and I seem to pee a lot for the first couple of hours too. It seems to work but I think I'd prefer another anti-biotic due to the above issues."

leeguv (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Bronchitis: "I only have negative reviews for this drug. Avoid !!!! I started with a milder antibiotic finished the course but it relapsed with sinus & chest infection and so I was put on biaxin. My sinus took a month to go but the side effects I could not tolerate were - loss of sleep (NO SLEEP) , no appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, feeling depressed and emotional outbursts. I'm a very happy person & always around people but this medicine made me go into a shell. It took a lot of effort of my friends & family to get me back to my normal state of mind."

Kox May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis: "I am on day 2 of this med bit am also on a steroid nasal spray, so I can't comment on whether my taste buds are being affected by the meds or the spray. What I do know is that I woke up this morning without coughing. Amazing after six months of misery. I don't have an appetite but hey don't mind loosing a few pounds and I am not sleeping properly but then I haven't done months. No other noticeable side effects just so happy not to have turned myself inside out this morning from coughing. It's a thumbs up from me."

Beefy Beff May 6, 2017