User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Pharyngitis 4 reviews 46 medications

Skin and Structure Infection 2 reviews 71 medications

Legionella Pneumonia 1 reviews 26 medications

Summary of Clarithromycin reviews 285 reviews 6.0

Reviews for Clarithromycin

For Sinusitis: "I just wanted to thank everyone who has posted on this site about clarithromycin and the side effects they've had, as I thought I was losing my mind from the hallucinations and crazy dreams this antibiotic has caused me. It's a relief to know it's not just me, although obviously I don't want others to suffer! After two days on this antibiotic for sinusitis and inner ear infection, I have literally felt like I was dying, fever, chills, anxiety and then at night hallucinating, which is really scary, especially when you don't know what's causing it. So thank god I found this site and now can link the clarithromycin to the side effects of the last two days. I have now stopped taking it and am going to ask for a different type of antibiotic."

anacondabonnie July 23, 2016

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I had bad side effects with this medicine so I called my doctor and stopped it my doctor told me that the benefits from the medicine outweighs the side effects so I went back on the medicine and I found out that eating with medicine helps with the belly pains and orange juice takes away the metallic taste"

TheillOne (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "I'm either allergic or suffer severe side effects to all antibiotics I've tried with the exception of Clarithromycin & Ciprofloxacin. I've been taking Clarithromycin as my preferred antibiotic for over 20 years. I'm sorry to see so many people have issues with it. Maybe people like me who have always had very positive results just don't post. I do not have any side effects & have used it for everything from pneumonia to upper & lower respiratory infections. I have severe asthma so it is extremely important to stop any respiratory infection ASAP. Everyone is different pls don't dismiss this antibiotic without discussing it with your doctor & their other patients opinions. Personally, it is my antibiotic of choice."

Rue55 July 10, 2016

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "The first day was terrible, I had the headaches, nausea, general ill feeling, neck and shoulder pain, eyes pain, this happens every other day. Also bitter taste. Thankfully am on the ninth day and I pray it clears the pylori. Cause I can't do it again. Scary experience, oh yes heat flushes as well"

Surfy July 3, 2016

For Pneumonia: "I've am on 500mg twice a day for pnumonia which I have had twice before..feeling much better after day 2 although energy levels still pretty low..side effects are grumbling,painful stomach ache and a horrible taste in your mouth plus I go dizzy at times and forget things.."

Lorren Preston (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2016

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "Sadly I'm only on day 1 of this medicine combine with amoxcillin and Lansoprazole and it's hell i got extreme dizziness I feel so slow with thinking my stomach is burning few minutes after the drugs and I got bad diheroea. The symptoms start to decrease few hrs after first dose but return when I take my second dose. Never again will I take this antibiotic and I have 6 days left "

HurtsSoBad (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2016

For Skin and Structure Infection: "I am taking this for a regular toe infection I can't see the actual impact on my toe due to a bandage so I will talk about the side effects and ease of use. The tablets go down easily with water but remember to have something after to get rid of the after taste. I haven't experienced any major side effects except for a mild dry throat many people are saying they have had a metallic taste and they are right but with my pills (250 mg) I struggle to find it worse than mildly irritating you don't care if you genuinely need anti-biotics. it is there but when you really need the medication this shouldn't matter"

not bad (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2016

For Strep Throat: "Positively would never use this again. The first night on it the metal/acid taste appeared and stayed all night into the morning. Really disgusting. The second night I was up with severe nausea in addition to the taste. Stopped after two days as it was making me feel sicker than the reason I was prescribe the drug (strep). Also throat did not improve much. Got an alternative antibiotic. Everyone may not have the same experience but mine was very negative."

Matty J June 17, 2016

For Otitis Media: "I have been on clarithromycin for 2 days. The first day I took the medication I experienced voracious hunger pains to where I had to eat a snack ever 30 mins to an hour. The next morning the hunger pains returned; thankfully I had brought a variety of snacks to work, or else I would have been in trouble. Terrible anxiety; I am not sure if it has exacerbated an already existing anxiety disorder or if I am nervous about being on the medicine. I am awake now in the middle of the night because of a irresistible cough. I am wondering if this is allergies or a side effect of the medicine. This is a horrible antibiotic and I am just praying I don't get the metallic taste in my mouth or the nightmares."

Coughing in Tennessee (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2016

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Strep Throat: "Obviously no antibiotic is going to be easy but this is tolerable. I am allergic to penicillin so I always get prescribed biaxin. It always clears up my infections, the only down side is the horrible bitter taste. My best advice besides chewing gum / mints in between is eat dark chocolate before & after - it actually does help subside the bitter taste! Also take the probiotic pearls with each dosage, it should help your stomach and prevent diarrhea. Eat as much yogurt as possible or drink Kefir milk -- kefir milk is the best probiotic you can take. It works wonders! You may get some minor headaches / stomach discomfort the first couple days, but let your body adjust and you should be fine. Its definitely tolerable, compared to other meds."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2016

For Bronchitis: "The first 5 doses were fine, helped with my bronchitis, felt a lot better. Day 6 & 7 I have been hullucinating. Thought someone was trying to break into my house last night. Swore I heard someone trying to open the front door. I locked all the doors in the house, turned on the outside lights and turned off the inside lights. I closed as many windows as possible without waking up my Mom and hid in my bathroom with a knife and my cellphone incase I needed to call the police. I was scared shitless. I almost had an anxiety attack, my heart was racing faster than ever before. I could hardly breathe and was shaking intensely. I dont feel right. I alerted my cats who roamed the house looking out the windows trying to see what I was so scared of.."

M.C.C.S (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2016

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "The side effects of this medication were unbearable to the point where I thought I wasn't going to be able to finish the whole 10 day course. It left a disgusting metal taste in my mouth for HOURS. Strong nausea started on day 2 or so, but subsided around day 5. It can be best described almost like morning sickness a pregnant woman would have. On day 7 it actually gave me acid reflux, which was worrying since I thought the medication wasn't working. I stuck with it and made it to the tenth day, words can't describe the happiness I felt throwing the pill bottle away. As horrible as it was, got retested and H. Pylori is officially gone!"

SBchic June 1, 2016

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for : "I have a very sensitive stomach, most antibiotics get me extremely sick. Biaxin is the only one I can take that doesn't completely destroy my stomach. The only side effect I get from this is a bad bitter taste in my mouth (usually about a half hour or so after taking it) and its obviously worse at night & in the morning. However, I rather have that taste then have the runs, nausea or vomiting. I also take probiotics with this - the best ones I can recommend are the "Integrative Probiotic Pearls" yeah they are a little pricey but they work well when taking antibiotics. (I got at pharmacy, and my pharmacist recommended these specific ones). *BEST ADVICE* Chew a lot of gum/mints in between dosages, you'll get used to the taste after a few days"

Anonymous June 1, 2016

For Bacterial Endocarditis Prevention: "Worst medication I've ever had , 7 days 500mg . horrible taste , bloating upset tum, heart racing, feels like I'm being poisoned. Never again."

Anonymous May 29, 2016

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Bronchitis: "I have been taking Biaxin for 3 days now and I dont know if my bronchitis is just completely horrible and its taking longer to work or if this just isnt for me? The taste it leaves in your mouth after taking it is horrendeous for about 12 hours. My stomach has been doing summer salts the entire 3 days so far and I think Im goin back to the Dr in the morning for another alternative. I cant sleep at all. Hate this stuff"

Anonymous May 26, 2016

For Bronchitis: "So far so good helping with my chest infection but I can't stand the constant bitter taste in my mouth. I have also been having problems sleeping and have had diarrhea, it's only day 2 so am now not sure if I should continue taking this medication."

Anonymous May 21, 2016

For Strep Throat: "I experienced stomach cramps, nausea, diahreah, and had a metallic taste in my mouth. On the third day my throat started to hurt again. It must be said that I've never experienced side effects from an antibiotic I've taken in the past ever..."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

For Skin and Structure Infection: "I was prescribed this medication at 500 MG for an ear infection. The side effects were worse than the ear ache. SEVERE diarrhea, headache, body chills and unfortunately my ear still aches. I will be calling my doctor tomorrow for something different. I only took 4 doses and had to stop. I also want to mention I had my gall bladder removed 10 years ago which left me needing to be extremely careful of what I eat- maybe that had something to do with it? I have to agree with most of the comments here- that taste from the meds is horrid. I woke up both nights from the taste! Avoid if possible. I'm allergic to penicillin so I think that's why we tried this."

Sickernow May 10, 2016

For Sinusitis: "i took this medicine for two days because i started to get a headache from it. now 2 months later i have the same headache from this. its a constant dull headache that is causing me to be unable to work or do my daily activities. it ruined my life forever."

gina3456789 (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2016

For Strep Throat: "I was prescribed this drug Clarithromycin (500mg twice a day) on a Wed morning for Strep throat. It is now Sat (in an hour it will be) and I feel like my strep has gotten worse. My tonsils are enormous and covered in white gunk (they weren't this bad on Wed), it's extremely difficult to swallow, and now it feels like it's plugging up my ears. I've had a 102 fever for 48-72 hours which finally broke friday so I'm not sure if that was from Strep or the medication but sleeping was near impossible with so much restlessness & sweating buckets. I feel like I need to sleep for a week but I'm unable to sleep well. I've also had a headache & teeth have been jittery (I don't know how else to describe that). I've had diarrhea on Fri too. Disappointed"

Nikirose May 7, 2016

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "I'm allergic to penicillin so was given clarithromycin as an alternative. I had severe suspected tonsillitis (despite having my tonsils removed 16 years ago) and had taken loads of medication like paracetemol and an antibiotic lozenge which did nothing; I felt better immediately after taken clarithromycin tablets but have been experiencing a number of strange and uncomfortable side effects. Firsty the horrible metallic taste in the mouth as everyone seems to get, also terrible flatulence as well as (more concerningly) vaginal discharge which turned into vaginal bleeding a couple days later (definitely not menstruation related). Also had dizziness, nausea, frequent hunger, and ringing ears. Annoying side effects but felt so much better !!"

Anonymous May 6, 2016

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "It's too early to tell yet regarding the effectiveness of the eradication protocol, but the taste in my mouth, bloating, and overall chronic Nassau feel is horrible. I'm somewhat relived that I am not the only one experiencing these adverse reactions from the protocol. I do feel positive knowing that I'm getting rid of this horrible bacteria, because I've been so sick for almost 2 months. Thanks for the helpful tips on what to use to help with the taste that comes from taking the clarithromycin."

sickinidaho (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2016

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I completed a course of Clarithromyxin/Amoxicillin/Omeperazole last night, from day two of this seven day course, I have been getting this metallic taste in my mouth. Has anyone experienced the same and when will it go away?"

Cajjio May 2, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Stupidest drug ever made stops you sleeping when your ill?? And gives you a constant headache why on earth would a doctor give this to a ill patients to stop them sleeping!!!"

Rizer (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Prescribed for recurrent sinus infection potentially caused by GERD. By day four bitter taste in mouth was round the clock. Yuck. Upsets stomach and wake up in the middle of the night wide awake. Also, a little slow with thinking. Not a fan."

Felicia2001 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016