User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Legionella Pneumonia

1 review 26 medications
Mycobacterium avium-...ulare, Treatment

1 review 13 medications
Bacterial Endocarditis PreventionNot rated - Be the first1 review 56 medications
Summary of Clarithromycin reviews 5.6 514 reviews

Reviews for Clarithromycin

For Pneumonia: "Went to the drs after picking up a bug on a long haul flight, which led to a bad chest infection. I was a total mess. How I walked to the drs I have no clue. Sat almost weeping in the waiting room, dribbling, coughing, choking. Dr checked me over and prescribed these glorious wonder pills. Felt absolutely dreadful (just from the infection/possible pneumonia) for three days. Lay in bed unable to move. But day three came and I could breathe again and even managed 3 hours at uni! The taste in my mouth in the morning is utterly appalling and feel nauseous half an hour after taking them for a bit but no other side effects. I still feel a bit rough, low energy and lingering cough and generally under the weather however I don't feel like I've been through ten rounds with Tyson and am drowning at the same time. Brilliant pills"

Tinkitten (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "I was started on a course of this 2 x 500mg for a week (as I’m allergic to penicillin) due to septic bursitis in my elbow. Let me start by saying within the first day, the swelling in my elbow had gone done and it didn’t feel like glowing hot poker anymore but... the side effects of this drug are horrendous. They leave the most disgusting taste in your mouth and nothing covers it! I’ve lost all appetite because everything tastes of this horrible metallic taste. It also left me with a dry mouth. Another thing I’ve noticed is the most horrendous nightmares, I don’t usually have nightmares but these are seriously not fun. I am now on day 4 of 7 and I’m constantly tired and hungry which is not a good combination. I honestly can’t until this course finishes. The only thing that worries me is that although I had very quick results and feel like my infection is starting to return again."

TeenyTori (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2018

For Bronchitis: "OMG! I have been taking clarithromycin for 3 days and the metallic taste makes me more sick, acid reflux and too much coughing that I cannot breath anymore. I will never try it again"

Ariam (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2018

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "OMG ! worst experience of my life ! I'm 63 years old, I have been suffering with a knot in my upper right side just beneath my breast for over 2 years I've had a gauntlet of tests, was scheduled to have an EGD (Esophagogastroduodenoscopy) but I had a severe laryngeal spasm when tube was inserted before I was properly sedated. So EGD was not able to be performed, I had to be " bagged ", the gastroenterologist saw only the first sphincter into my stomach and there was tiny red spots on it and said he believed I had h pylori, ( no breathe test, no biopsy, no fecal test) started me on clarithromycin, amoxicillin and dexilant, by the second dose I was in EXTREME abdominal pain, severe burning, explosive diarrhea, dizzy and weak. By the 4th day I truly thought I was dying so I stopped the med. I am still weak and hurting 3 days later, hurts to eat, still diarrhea. Going to my GP and asking for a h pylori test, never take this med combo withoout confirmation test for H PYLORI ,its a killer regime"

In pain September 22, 2018

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I have had an ulcer on my tonsil pillar right side. It started out small like a pencil tip eraser. Then grew to the size of an almond. Its been a week since it started. I was almost in tears trying to eat soup. And it kept growing. So I went to doctor and he gave me these antibiotics because I am immune to penicillin, "amoxocillin" I take 2 in the morning and 2 at night. Along with anti inflammatory and pain drugs, been about 48 hours and it is already decreasing in size. Side effects if not eaten with a good amount of food is diarrhea, sweats, the worse awful taste in my mouth, but if you suck on scotch mints "the real ones" it's fine you don't even notice. I didn't eat a proper meal first 2 pills. After that I did and only side effect is light diarrhea and bad taste in mouth. If I needed to take this again I would. The side effects for me are worth seeing a difference in 48 hours."

Minnieme September 22, 2018

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Bronchitis: "After suffering what seemed like a never ending flu, I was put on Biaxin. I have always been sensitive to medications and suffered severe allergic reactions that put me in ER. So I have never been a fan of antibiotics and avoid them unless on the verge of death...which I definitely was this time around. Biaxin gave me a horrible, bitter taste that was constant and could Not be eliminated or masked by any food. I did religiously eat yogurt while taking it so I did not have any stomach upset. I noticed a steady improvement within 48 hours. The horrible, bitter taste lasted the entire 10 days, but nothing I couldn't put up with knowing I was improving and death was no longer imminent. My Specialist said I had a bacteria related to Legionnaires, so I pretty much owe my life to this antibiotic. It is now my "go- to" antibiotic if it is determined I need treatment for any bacterial infection. Biaxin pulled me thru and I am so thankful they made this medicine!"

Allergic to Everything (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2018

For Strep Throat: "The worst thing about this is that you get a terrible metallic bitter taste in your mouth. No matter what you do it stays there. It makes food even taste somewhat differently. I also always get small bumps on my chest every time I take it. The drug does work for me though and I’ve taken it for more than one thing. I’m allergic to penicillin so this is the closest related kind that I can take."

kal. (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2018

Biaxin XL (clarithromycin) for Skin and Structure Infection: "I was on this antibiotic for 7 days. It started clearing up the infection right away, 2 very red and swollen lymph nodes on the right lower armpit. I have never had infection in my lymph nodes, but it was around my bra line, and my immune system is currently weak. I had mild stomach pain the first day but was told to take it with food, I can't take Sulfa drugs because of severe stomach pain they cause. I had terrible malaise and have more energy now. The infection is cleared up, I took the last dose yesterday. This drug leaves a horrible bitter taste, glue like feeling in the mouth, because I took it before bedtime, 2 tabs at once, I had to gargle right away in a.m. with mouth wash. I'm on heart medication and was not told it can contraindicate, that it can discolor teeth, both are very important to know and I was not informed of this. This drug can be used to treat TB so it is strong, but clearly effective."

Mac September 20, 2018

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I’ve been on this for 11 days now. Side effects of this medicine is truly bad. Sweats, nausea, itchy, diarrhea, tired most of the time. Hope I can take for 3 more days. I’m not needing indigestion meds. Hope this works. Have had h pylori for a year. Don’t want to EVER take this again!!!! Also take metronidazole."

Steve (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2018

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "Allergic to penicillin so prescribed this for double tonsillitis. I've been taking it for 4 days now (prescribed for 10) and not sure if it's working. Side effects seem to be a lot of sweating and occasional nausea. And the metallic taste in my mouth but this is mostly at night. Best way to eliminate this is to eat just before you take the tablet and make sure you swallow it with a LOT of water."

Ace (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2018

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I have taken 4 tablets and I literally want to cry. The worst taste in my mouth 24/7 and I wake up with an extremely dry and painful throat, I'm scared to even sleep. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!"

Paul (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2018

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I am on Day 5 of 500mg twice a day and I have thrown in the towel. I really wanted to finish the 7-day course but I cannot function with the hideous side effects. Initially just stomach cramping, but then debilitating nausea and a disgusting taste in my mouth. Day 4 brought on the worst headache and throughout I have had excruciating pain in my ribs and back. Cannot wait to feel like a normal human being again."

DK (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2018

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Course - 2 tablets a day for 7 days. Noticed relief from this antibiotic after first tablet with no noticeable side effects. After second tablet got horrible taste in mouth straight away. On second day now, and horrible taste persists after 3rd tablet. And now I have nauseous feeling in stomach. I have option to defer to augmentin if I have bad side effects.. Will seriously consider switching if the side effects get worse..Summary - Great effectiveness, Bad side effects..."

zeroCool August 24, 2018

For Otitis Media: "Was treated for possible middle ear infection. GP noticed inflamed ear drum. I had symptoms of dizziness, panic attacks, lightheadedness and blurred vision. Antibiotic didn't help probably because it was not bacterial infection. Also tried penicillin - didn't work. To this day have no idea what it was, but it is lasting two months already with symptoms changing and gradually reducing in intensity. Recently got hives. What helped was trip to psychologist and physiotherapy on my neck, because it was very stiff. Took for one week. Only side effect I got was bitter taste in the mouth but I honestly liked it because it tasted like gin and tonic :) Would recommend drinking course of probiotics to restore gut bacteria"

iii (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2018

For Bronchitis: "I have bronchitis for 2 weeks, and last week my doctor prescribed me clarithromycin. After 2 days taking it I noticed a super bitter after taste in my mouth, woken up few times at night because of it. I also had both constipation and diarrhea while taking this antibiotics, and occasionally vomiting. I can say that it helped with my bronchitis (though very slow), I can breath better now after taking it for 7 days, and still have 3 days to go. I can't wait until this torture ends."

kunimitsu August 17, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "I live in India. Here most doctors do not take the time to find out what is really wrong with you. 3 weeks ago I developed a sore throat with no other symptoms. The first doctor I went to prescribed azithromycin for 5 days which did not help at all. So I went to an otolaryngoligist who prescribed clarithromycin 500 mg twice daily for 7 days with probiotics. It was horrible. I was completely wiped out by day 6 and stopped it. Should have done so sooner. Other symptoms were bitter taste in the mouth, awful dreams, heart palpitations. It's been 2 days since I stopped and I am still very tired. Went back to doctor yesterday as it had done nothing. He did an endoscopy and found it was reflux laryngitis which means I did not need the antibiotic at all. I was given 2 courses of 2 different antibiotics for nothing. I am so upset. Welcome to India my friends!!"

Rose (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2018

For Sinusitis: "Was prescribed this after amoxicillin did not do the trick for nasty sinus infection. This did the trick but I will never take it again! The metallic taste in my mouth is out of control. I eat all day trying to make it go away. I am stopping after 9 days - can't do it anymore! ugh"

tin mouth (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2018

For Dental Abscess: "I've developed a horrendous taste in my mouth, it hasn't gone away, it's currently 3:39 in the morning, I'm awake with insomnia mostly due to the horrifying taste that seems etched into my taste buds. I've barely slept. I've also had awful headaches. I've been incredibly dizzy and weak and have barely left bed. I've experienced wildly exacerbated anxiety, the first & second night I was up checking my pulse every five minutes feeling like I was about to die. As well as this just a general feeling of being out of it, foggy & not myself, I've even experience really dark thoughts which again is completely out of character, I have never been like this in my life. I rang my GP and she basically dismissed this even though they're all listed as actual side effects on the packaging. It's also worth mentioning that I take them at the same time like clockwork, with a probiotic and a huge jug of water which has definitely helped me stave off any severe GI symptoms."

Zdl (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2018

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I’ve been on this antibiotic for nearly a week and within the first couple days it cleared up most of my infection. This antibiotic is amazing and I think I’m the only one who actually enjoys the taste of it lmao"

Az (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2018

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I was prescribed these for a false widow spider bite on my knee! I have a bad reaction to penicillin!! I’m on my last day. I do have that distinct taste in my mouth but that tells me it’s working. I’ve not had an upset stomach. I’m hoping it clears the infection on my knee. Still a bit itchy so unsure. What it also cleared though is my skin. It looks healthier and fresher and I’ve had these 3 little lumps on my cheek for must be over 2 years now and all the squeezing in the world was not moving them, they have now finally given in and disappeared so I’m buzzing. Lots came out for the size of them as they were tiny but they must have been deep in the tissue. Hope this helps."

Bon (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2018

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Hi I'm taking 7 day course of this antibiotics I feel weirdly anxious and panicky on it I also have stomach rumbling and sometimes nausea I give it 5 as it is curing my one month cold but I hate the side effects"

axmfri (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2018

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "I had a really bitter taste in my mouth, even after brushing my teeth 3 times a day. I also had an upset stomach, but they cleared the infection quickly."

Chrisi (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2018

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "Not nearly as bad as I expected. The first day I had a very intense reaction, but found it was just because I was allergic to Omeprazole. When I didn't take it, the only side effects I had were moderate dizziness and an occasional metallic taste. It didn't hinder the taste of food. I am quite sensitive to medications and Clarithromycin hardly bothered me at all. The dizziness even faded after 3 days and I was able to function normally, even exercise. Also, some other advice, as I am a pharmacist. One person mentioned to take this with soda. I advise against that because soft drinks contain phosphoric acid and will likely exacerbate symptoms. Another notable interaction is milk products like ice cream. It helps for a short time, but then the rebound acid makes it worse. Probiotics are not clinically proven to help eradicate the bacteria, but I do recall reading a study that showed they can reduce the gastric inflammation. Good luck, whoever reads this, and I wish you a happy cure."

JennyRph July 31, 2018

For Sinusitis: "After taking this medication for two days I got a massive headache which I originally thought was from the sinus infection. I kept taking it for three more days with a continual massive headache. Finally I looked up side effects of this and this has to be the cause. The headaches make me nauseous and Tylenol and Advil don’t even touch it. I threw the rest out and can’t wait until this is out of my system. I have never had such horrible headaches and contemplated having my husband take me to the emergency room for pain relief. I will never ever take this again. It caused me four wasted days on the couch with a pounding headache. Horrible."

Sue July 15, 2018

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Otitis Media: "I did not have any problems taking Biaxin ! It worked really fast !"

Darla (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Micromedex® Care Notes