User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Pharyngitis

Mycobacterium avium-...ulare, Treatment

1 review 12 medications
Summary of Clarithromycin reviews 5.3 425 reviews

Reviews for Clarithromycin

For Sinusitis: "I had a cold for a couple of weeks leading to infection with Sinusitis, severe pain blocked nose, foggy hearing & thick greenish phlegm combined with a horrible cough that sounds like smokers with Bronchitis. Initially GP prescribed a short course Amoxicillin for 3 days then a further one week with no improvement. I was put on Clarithromycin as a last course and I have been on it for 3 days. I researched the side effects are worrying ! I experienced so far bitter horrible taste in mouth that disturbs sleep, palpitations , confusion , fatigue. Its important to take a strong probiotic with live yogurt and drink a lot daily. So far I can see a slight improvement & I intend to persevere and finish the course as stopping is not advisable ."

Dillgmi November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "Seriously y’all, do not even take this! You will feel like you’re dying from the bad nausea, can’t eat, can’t sleep, severe abdominal pain, headache. My stomach and symptoms felt much better before I started taking this horrid drug."

Coourtyann (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Strep Throat: "Second day on the liquid version of this medicine. Last night I had extreme stomach pains and actually vomited. Tonight I have diarrhea and once again nausea. Although the medication is helping the strep throat, the side effects are insane"

Smh wow November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Bitter taste in your month all way through! On the first day had a heart racing and high blood pressure so I had to call an ambulance! On a third day severe headache and worsening reflux. On a fifth day nausea lack of sleep vomitting funny feeling in my throat and chest suppose caused by reflux. I leaves you feel really week and sweaty but overall helped with my chest infection when everything else failed and my hope was lost. I also had vivid dreams didn't like that too."

Agness RH November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I am a cigarette smoker. My dosage is one tablet twice a day for 10 day's. I have 2 tablets left. My symptoms included severe post nasal drip and my face felt like I had been in a boxing match and lost. The Dr. said my ears were filled with fluid and my coughing was non stop. Tons of mucus coughed up and nose blowing. Since I am on day 9, I have to admit the side effects of this med is awful. Constant headache and like the others there is a disgusting taste in my mouth non stop, as well as my mouth is so dry that at times my tongue actually stuck to the roof of my mouth and my tongue hurts like it's raw. I made sure to eat before taking this and drank at least 8 oz of water. Dizzy, nausea "ugh". I can't wait to be done. Also vivid nightmare"

Snotfunny (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dental Abscess: "The swelling at the back of my mouth (where my wisdom tooth was pulled from years before) went down after a couple days, but my upper back/ribs and around to the front of my chest is tight and uncomfortably sore. Not sure what this is from? Maybe the antibiotic medicine, or the naproxin...."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Since I am allergic to penicillin this is the "go-to drug". This medicine will give you a horrible taste in your mouth, will cause nausea even when taking it on a full stomach or feel the nausea to extreme levels/vomit, dizziness, and cause diarrhoea until your course is finished. You will also lose your appetite and will have to take repeated prescriptions of this medication for God knows how long just to get rid of any infection whether simple or complex. It is the same in my case of a chest infection in which I am taking this for. I have no other symptoms to write of and I have been handed these for infections for years. They will work in time, but only after at least 2 weeks of constantly taking them."

Anne26 (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis: "My Doctor put me on these antibiotics for a cough that I couldn't get rid of. The meds worked great for the cough but the side effects were horrid, sweats, headaches, hunger pains, tummy bloating, pain, nausea, rash and the list goes on. Only take these pills if you are really sick or in pain cause the side effects are bad. I look 8 months pregnant from bloating and am constantly irritated from feeling like I' havent slept for a month. So it comes down to can you put up with the side effects or not. I'm going to soldier on and keep taking them. Only 4 days to go 3 done.. stay strong and get well soon "

AussieCowgirl October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pneumonia: "I was prescribed this for bacterial pneumonia, the first pill spaced me out made me jittery and gave me terrible stomach pains, I have never felt so unwell in my life! I am on day two and had three pills so far and just feeling awful, have a vile bitter taste that's very strong and ache all over especially in my back and legs, my head has started to hurt and I feel very tearful. I am a mum of five children and I'm used to just getting on with it but the side effects have knocked me for six, the only good thing is I have started to cough less. Be warned they are very strong, I hope I start to feel better tomorrow or will be returning to hospital."

Maxt (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin and Structure Infection: "After taking this drug I had severe stomach pains and vomiting which required admission to hospital, the problem was that I was also on statins at the same time."

Univ008 (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pneumonia: "I have had a chest infection for over 8 weeks. I have been on amoxicillin didn't work! A chest x ray and some omeprazole later they seem to think I have the underlying pneumonia! I was given 500mg of clarithromycin to take for 5 days! Today day 4 I have coughed a lot less I feel I need longer than another day but my god it's worked...yes u do get the hairspray taste the morning is the worst from the night pill it is pretty bad but soon goes you feel sicky ish but tbh thats from the coughing in general only other side effect its taking longer to get to sleep and loss of appetite...I recommend trying it, it's nearly ended months of mystery for me"

Laura by September 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Strep Throat: "I am on day 7 and more miserable than when I started taking the drug. I have had headaches, trouble getting to sleep, stomachache, heart palpitations, and I think I have even noticed more hair falling out than usual. My tonsils are still swollen and sore throat is still present, but I have gotten a yeast infection because all the good bacteria in my vagina have apparently been killed, so I'm out of balance. Miserable. I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow, to see if I can get something else. Should have done it days ago."

CatGl September 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "Only on day three of this medication and having occasional relief from my sinus infection pain. The only side effect I've had so far is this horrible taste in my mouth. I read on this site that someone used salt water swish in their mouth to cover it and it really works. Just 10 seconds of swishing and the taste is gone. I've had to do this every couple of hours but it's better than that terrible taste."

gtmac (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Bronchitis: "Prescribed this drug several years ago. Shortly after taking it I went 5 nights without sleep and was subsequently hospitalized for a manic episode with delusions. It took months to recover from the depression that followed. I was on mood stabilizers for a year and a half post episode before gaining enough courage to ween off entirely. It has been a few years now that I am clean and clear of all medications. Mentally stable and back to working in emergency medicine. I have since stayed far away from the entire "myocin" family of antibiotics for fear that I am hypersensitive. Highly recommend staying away from this drug."

JRutabaga September 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "It seems this is a love/hate type of drug. I'm allergic or have severe side effects to many antibiotics. My guess is most people that do not have a problem with this antibiotic do not post. This is my antibiotic of choice. I do not get any of the side effects and never had anything but positive results over the years. Be reasonable - discuss it with your doctor and a pharmacist on what most patient responses are to this drug. Personally I've never asked because it works great for me."

Asthma-Sufferer September 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pneumonia: "Amazing antibiotic! Bad taste in mouth first few days but went away...actually my stomach felt better while I was on this medication."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "I am taking this medicine, and today is day #5 and had insomnia (never had before). I have a bitter taste and only once had heart palpitation. I am worried about the liver effect, hope no damage or bad effects. Regarding sinus infection, I had that few years ago, and for 6 months was suffering really badly, being on antibiotics three times and no effect. There was a blockage of 90% of right side of the sinus. My doctor scheduled me for a surgery (in two months time). Went on a beach vacation. My last hope was to experiment with ocean water. Jumping in ocean water 25-50 times/day and nasal rinsing ocean water 50-80 times/d for 7 days was miracle for me. Before surgery consultation I had a CT done that showed everything cleared up, no surgery needed."

Anonymous September 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "My husband had h pylori I was scared so I got my self tested I was positive I had no symptoms I took all 4 medication 2 days of treatment I felt sick so I stop taking the omeprazole I found out that was the cause of making me sick and I took the other three medication with a glass of sweet tea that help a lot with all those pills I had to take so my advice is to not take your medication with water take it with a soda juice tea or anything u prefer it helps with the taste had no problem after that .. they say it's not contagious but I seriously think it is"

H pylori August 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Sinusitis: "I used this twice and worked each time. However I used clav recently for swelling in my chin and while it the clav is bringing down the swelling. The sinusitis is coming back! I think I will need to go on a dose of biaxin after this clav."

Sinusitis King (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pertussis: "I have only just started taking this tablet and feel a bit rubbish already, its 2am I have a vile horrid taste in my mouth, tried swilling my mouth with copius amounts of water, it does not work, stomach is making hideous gurgling noises and feel gassy but I do have a very sensitive stomach and I know this drug is going to cripple me. However my breathing seems a little itsy improved as docs say I have whooping cough! I am on this for 10 days yet- 19 more big horrid bulky tablets to suffer yet. "

Rmichelle (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I was put on clarithromycin for an infected abscess on my chin after not responding to minocycline or bactrim. I am officially off of it after 1 week. In the past week I developed severe acute anxiety that caused me to have a four hour panic attack (my first ever). Additionally, I have a history of bad acid reflux as a symptom of celiac, and this medication made it so that my reflux was so severe I literally could not eat. My throat felt like it was closing and I had trouble swallowing anything. All foods, even basics like bananas and chicken made me feel like I was going to die. Constant belching, pressure on chest, heartburn made me concerned of heart attack, then panic attack. Also had severe headaches. Did not work for me"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "I was prescribed this medication for a nasty chest infection. I lasted 3 days and couldn't handle the anxiety and depression that came along with the antibiotics. I felt tired and extremely edgy all the time. I felt like I was going crazy with all the racing thoughts. I had to take a Valium to calm myself down. Never again !"

Nick manam August 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Otitis Media: "Clarithromycin is extremely effective but unfortunately, it tastes horrid and leaves a disgusting taste in your mouth, to get rid of the taste I recommend eating a banana and gargling some water. Though it is effective there are many side effects e.g, Diarrhoea, Nausea, Sickness and others. I am still taking Clarithromycin, I suffered from multiple symptoms, Motion Sickness, Diarrhoea and Nausea are the ones I suffer from but it could be different for someone else. If you do take Clarithromycin for Otitis the symptoms are added to the side effects, I still had a full feeling in my ear, problems with balance, ear ache and a head ache so be wary of that. I recommend resting and not moving your head fast/too much."

Kacey W (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis: "I only took this one time for an ear infection and water behind the eardrum. I took another antibiotic's k-pack that I reacted really well too and the pain in the ear was almost gone. Nevertheless, when I went back to the ENT he changed the prescription to this Clarithromycin. It made me so nauseous, I wasn't willing to risk taking it any more. I am not a "doctor going" person. I usually wait until my pain is really bad or I have had symptoms really long. I had water behind the eardrum and dulled hearing for 8 months before I went the first time. This antibiotic, like all antibiotics and medicines, work differently on different bodies because of chemistry. Great if this worked for you, but it definitely made me sick."

Foodforthought August 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I have taken this and I had a very bitter taste in my mouth and still do as the course isn't finished but I do not want to take it anymore. Couldn't stop coughing and I haven't got a cold but have got a coughing tic however, it was worse with this medicine. Please try to avoid taking this unless u absolutely have to."

Idk123124 (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2017