User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Pharyngitis 4 reviews 47 medications

Legionella Pneumonia 1 reviews 26 medications

Mycobacterium avium-...ulare, Treatment 1 reviews 12 medications

Summary of Clarithromycin reviews 395 reviews 5.3

Reviews for Clarithromycin

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I am on day three of this thing. I've missed this mornings dose because I felt deathly nauseous and depressed as thus stuff has me bedridden. I called in sick today. I work from home anyway, but I called in sick. I didn't even want to get the laptop from the living room to email I was that tired and lifeless from about 11 hours of "almost going to vomit" nausea. This stuff is brutal. I'm sitting here looking at the next dose scared to take it, but if thus thing works then its the possibility of a lifetime of normality. Weighing up the odds of four more days of hell but if it doesn't work then next treatment will probably be more brutal. My mother had this triple therapy and has only complained of slight nausea and bad taste .So nauseous&depressed:("

Bushell79 July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Not sure what I have as the doctors refuse to run any tests, but I've basically got something with sinuses and a really bad cough nearing two months now. I first got Amoxicillin, which got rid of the tickly cough, but otherwise may have actually made it worse (but on the bright side, I had minimal side effects). This one seems to have minimised the actual coughing fits, but by day 5 it hasn't fixed much else, unfortunately. I was otherwise physically exhausted as well, but the first two days of these were a complete knock out for me. I'd sleep 12h, take the pill, be up for 2h before desperately needing a nap. I also got the constant metallic taste and upset stomach/diarrhoea and trouble falling asleep. Definitely need probiotics with these"

Chessu (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "I had terrible hip and rib pain and sensitive to the touch pain in the bones there. Lower back pain and discomfort in the lower bowel area. This was like nothing I had experienced before. I am still having pain in those regions even tho I stopped the drug 3 days ago after taking 8, 500 Mg tablets over 5 days prior. Pain started on day 2 of taking the med and got progressively worse until I stopped taking the drug. There was also a terrible metallic taste constantly in my mouth, especially worse at night. I don't recommend ever taking this drug."

N4653 (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "2 pills a day for 7 days. Wow. I am finally done taking this medication for an ear infection that was caused by a sinus infection. I had almost all the side effects listed, sadly. Heart palpitations, headache, nausea, hunger pains, acid reflux, insomnia, diarrhea and metallic taste in mouth all night long! Unreal. It's my last day and although I feel better, I now feel like I am recovering from all the side effects of this drug! My advice is to take it with a lot of food and probiotics! You will need to find a way to counteract all the side effects! I'm not sure it's even worth taking, to be honest. Heart palpitations alone made me feel like I had a heart attack waiting to happen."

SMLo June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Otitis Media: "I have a lot of ear infections due to an ENT issue and have been prescribed this twice in the past year. Both times it gave me horrible, vivid nightmares. It also leaves a horrible taste in the mouth for a few hours after taking a dose and I seem to pee a lot for the first couple of hours too. It seems to work but I think I'd prefer another anti-biotic due to the above issues."

leeguv (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Bronchitis: "I only have negative reviews for this drug. Avoid !!!! I started with a milder antibiotic finished the course but it relapsed with sinus & chest infection and so I was put on biaxin. My sinus took a month to go but the side effects I could not tolerate were - loss of sleep (NO SLEEP) , no appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, feeling depressed and emotional outbursts. I'm a very happy person & always around people but this medicine made me go into a shell. It took a lot of effort of my friends & family to get me back to my normal state of mind."

Kox May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis: "I am on day 2 of this med bit am also on a steroid nasal spray, so I can't comment on whether my taste buds are being affected by the meds or the spray. What I do know is that I woke up this morning without coughing. Amazing after six months of misery. I don't have an appetite but hey don't mind loosing a few pounds and I am not sleeping properly but then I haven't done months. No other noticeable side effects just so happy not to have turned myself inside out this morning from coughing. It's a thumbs up from me."

Beefy Beff May 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis: "I have just finished a 7 day course of 500mg tablets, twice a day for a chest infection which two other antibiotics failed to clear. This antibiotic worked much faster than others I have tried, with symptoms improving rapidly after just one day. I had no side effects at all, not even the strange taste. My wife has also had a course of the same drug in the past, again with no side effects. Reading through these comments you would think that practically everyone has adverse side effects from this drug, but in actual fact it is a low percentage (under 10% according to the packet). I think more people tend to report bad side effects, than none hence the large number here. Don't be put off by this."

Joe Smithy (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "Was prescribed Amoxycillin (500mg 2 x 2 daily);Clarithromycin (500g 2x daily) and Esomeprazole (40mg 2x daily) for my H pylori. Started taking on Monday. Felt terrible with nausea, brain fog; worst taste ever in my mouth, fatigue and general insecurity. Thursday 4.45am went to ER as I thought I was in serious state. Discharged 2 hrs later as high BP had reduced, blood chemistry all normal. Diagnosis: probable virus . My local doctor said stop taking all three drugs. Had difficulty in locating alternative. Finally prescribed metronidazole (400mg 3x daily); omeprazole (20mg 1x daily); and bismuth subsalicylate (120mg); tetracycline (500mg). Last two items have had to be made up my compounding chemist. Any feedback on this alternative??"

AussieAl May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "Took clairthromycin for four weeks 500mg 2x a day which seemed to strong to me. Same metallic taste a lot of people get, it is medicine so I expect that. It gave me dizziness, tiredness, and nightmares galore, I have lost of sleep from all the nightmares. I actually felt really out of it. I took probiotics, and ate yogurt, and after I stopped taking it three weeks later, I began have severe stomach pain, I have read it can cause so serious issues with the liver so now I'm off to the GI doctor I wish there was something in medicine that could cure us without any side effect like Royal Rife invention"

Greystone0000 May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Strep Throat: "Been on this antibiotic for 10 days for swab test confirmed strep throat and it has not done a damn thing. My throat is still killing me. The only thing good was that were no side effects or unpleasant taste for me."

Peter 2017 April 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I am so scared right now I am supposed to start this treatment tonight. I feel way too anxious to do so."

EglaAmelia (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "Have been on 3 different antibiotics, this one included for almost a week now. It's honestly been brutal. I've also been using probiotics to try to replenish the good bacteria in the digestive track so this way I don't end up in the hospital from the combination of this medicine and the amoxicillin. Definitely going to have to try the orange juice because soda doesn't appear to lessen the gross cotton mouth and metallic taste in my mouth."

ThisGuyDerp April 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "Prescribed Clarithromycin to treat sinus, ear, throat, and lung infection (possible pneumonia). After six days I feel much better. I had splitting sinus headaches and they have stopped. Still have congested sinuses and cough, but diminishing. No GI effects (no nausea, no diarrhoea). Nasty metallic taste in mouth, especially on waking in the morning, but I prefer that to the difficulty breathing. No hallucinations or nightmares, just very vivid dreams, which I actually enjoy."

ksco (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Biaxin XL (clarithromycin) for Pneumonia: "Was first prescribed this on my discharge from the hospital with pneumonia. Had me feeling great within a few days. Just had it prescribed again to clear up an ear infection and a little bit of a chest infection starting. Same thing, cleared up in days. Only down side is the metallic taste in the mouth. Some people suggest taking it at night to avoid that but sometimes I will wake up because of how awful it is. I also always make sure to take with yogurt to help ease my stomach."

Sjay666 April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Otitis Media: "A frequent ear infection victim who is immune to anything in the penicillin family. BIAXIN works amazing, within 2 days of treatment, the pain and balance is drastically improved and by day 5 symptoms are resolved. Only drawback is the metallic taste so I tend to keep to soups and lighter fare."

TorSan (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis: "I started taking these tablets for a cheat infection I am on day 4 and thinking of stopping. My mouth tastes vile I am constantly drinking or swilling my mouth out as I have a metallic perfume taste in it, I keep having some weird dreams and I am very restful on a night time since I started these tablets. Another thing is I don't have a appetite at all. I have been taking these tablets for 4 days and the only thing I feel is my chest loosening but everything else I still have and the pain I suffer from in my stomach is not nice. I just say since taking this medication I have felt worse in regards to stomach trouble, not eating or sleeping and the worse thing is the taste in my mouth is really is VILE!!!!!"

pontepops April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "In the past six years I have had three sinus infections. This drug cleared it up in a short time with no side effects. I suffer from IBS so my GI doctor recommends this antibiotic as it is more gentle on the GI tract. He also told me to take one Florastor probiotic capsule each day and to eat yogurt with active cultures Have had bad results with Augmentin – gave me raging diarrhea. Levaquin has some really serious side effects and affected my Achilles tendon. I don't notice vile taste - tongue burns, mine are vanilla flavored. If the size bothers you, tell doc to order 250mg size and take two. I had palpitations and anxiety tho and rapid heart beat for a while but could have been from Bentyl. Not sure."

Mom GS (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "On day 3 of 5 of this antibiotic...... Horrible taste, dizziness, and I feel my symptoms seem more exaggerated since beginning the antibiotic. Don't think I'll finish the course should have just asked for amoxicillin "

THE BOSSY ONE April 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Horrible!!!!!! DO NOT TAKE THIS!!! I can't stop vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach pain is unbearable. It feels like I ate a golf ball. Hot and cold flashes, shaking. My heart is racing so fast it feels like I am going to have a heart attack. Call the doctor, got the stupid answer ever, to keep vomiting but I have to take them since I'm allergic to penicillin!!!!! Are you serious???? I already took other antibiotics before this but this never happened . This is poison!!!!! How can they sell this?"

Izz March 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis: "Had the most bizarre dreams with this tablet. Woke up feeling drugged out and nauseous. Bad headache, bubbly tummy due to wind, foggy head. I only took 3 tablets and will never touch this tablet again."

Manteit March 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis: "You people are obviously not sick enough to be grateful you have a medicine that works. It's not even close to that bad. Take it with food. And you won't even have side effects. Take pain meds. And brush your teeth. This Medicine is the best and does what it needs to do. Stop complaining it could be worse you could die."

Shuckers March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "On day 4 of 500mg twice daily of Clarithromycin for throat and chest infection. Throat not as painful but not completely cleared yet. The bitter taste in the mouth is VERY unpleasant and tinges' everything I eat. Hard to sleep as the taste is worse in the night so very tired all of the time. Furry, yellow tongue. Hoping today is the turning point in recovery."

badders (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "Been taking this medicine for 3 days, so I have taken 6 tablets. Don't know what anyone means by bad taste in their mouth. I only have this in the morning... never throughout the day. Today I had to go to the toilet as it gave me slight diarrhea (if that is how you spell it). My swelling has reduced in size and pain dramatically."

Kimbo slice (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis: "I have taken only 3 pills thus far, while my symptoms from bronchitis and a sinus infection are already starting to improve I cannot handle the strange dreams, disconnectedness, slight paranoia and subsequent anxiety!!! I too will be calling the Dr. on a Sunday to get a different RX. Oh yes the taste in my mouth is EVERY bit the disgusting way that others have described."

Gmasparkle (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017