User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Pharyngitis 4 reviews 46 medications

Skin and Structure Infection 2 reviews 72 medications

Legionella Pneumonia 1 reviews 26 medications

Summary of Clarithromycin reviews 299 reviews 5.9

Reviews for Clarithromycin

For Sinusitis: "Have only been on this medicine for two days and I am debating over whether or not I should continue taking the rest. Thankfully no hallucinations or nightmares. However, the aftertaste is horrible. You can't get rid of it. Everything you eat and drink tastes awful. Gum and mints help with the taste. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do when it is time to go to bed. Not sure if the tummy cramps are from the illness or from this medicine."

Anonymous 66 (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2016

For : "Within an hour of taking my first pill I had an extremely unsettled stomach (much like bad hunger pains). The taste in my mouth was bad the first day but when I got to the third it was unbearable. No drink or chewing gum could get rid of it. Then when I thought things couldn't get any worse I started seeing things in my room and being EXTREMELY anxious and paranoid (I do suffer from anxiety but this significantly worsened it). My dreams have been vivid and disturbing, this joined with the lack of sleep was like torture. Also, I couldn't pass urine properly which left me with a painful bladder. have now completely stopped. Never again. However it did work in beginning to clear up my chest infection, but personally this was not worth it."

Janice11212 September 24, 2016

For Bronchitis: "Started on tablets yesterday for Bronchitis, had been on another penicillin for sinus infection but still hadn't recovered 100% hence the Clarithromycin. I have had 3 x tablets so far and will not be taking anymore. I have been up since 2.00am and am exhausted but still can't sleep. I am not due to menstruate however am experiencing excessive bleeding and the metallic taste make me physically ill but the diarrhea and the stomach gurgling and cramps are so not worth it. I would prefer to have Bronchitis then the side effects from this drug, I only hope no permanent damage has been caused. Would strongly recommend anything BUT this medication."

#########77 September 24, 2016

For Bronchitis: "It's 2:45 am, I only Wish I could experience these odd dreams everyone's talking about... it's day one of this garbage antibiotic. I can not sleep, I feel like I did 50 lines of coke, I'm sweating, and my mother tastes like a change dispenser. Couldn't pay me to take a second dose, let alone 7 more days of this. No way. Calling Dr in the am for different antibiotic. This one is not worth it. I'm feeling very jittery and agitated. And the taste in my mouth is disgusting."

Artificialdream (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Avoiding Levaquin so taking biaxin genic. Felt better but developed sore throat , cold. Not feeling better Still lethargic, severe stomach pain, Indigestion. Called for a substitute but doctor has not followed up yet. Do not recommend this antibiotic!!!"

Sinus infection (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I am taking Clarithromycin (Biaxin). What I am enduring at night amounts to psychological torture, and I pretty well wish I never had to sleep again. Got about 3 hours of sleep last night, and woke up crying. Dreams are extremely vivid and bizarre, have twisted, convoluted plots, and are frightening and emotionally disturbing. I'm starting to feel like it's Nightmare on Elm Street - pass the caffeine, please."

Sleeping with the light on (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I just finished 3 weeks of Clarithromycin for chronic sinusitis. I was on Augmentin for 2 weeks prior to that. I've had a cough for 3 months. My ears have been stopped up for months. My cough is maybe 20% better and there is no improvement with my ears. My main concern is I have almost totally lost my sense of smell. Will this resolve now that I'm off the drug?"

K$john September 11, 2016

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Every side effect listed was experienced by me to the point that I could not sleep. The horrid taste in my mouth, joint pain, backache, nausea, severe headache and urinary hesitation. Avoid this medication."

backdown September 10, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Works well, very tired after course of clarithyromycin"

Lynnie66677 (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Did clear up the sinus infection i've had raging for a month or so. The nausea is crippling - make sure to take it with food. Definitely experienced the metallic taste - it's disgusting. Interacts with albuterol which is making my life a little extra hard considering that I've had bronchitis/asthma for the past month and a half."

harley25 (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I googled metallic taste from Clarithromycin as its revolting and wanted to know if anyone else experienced it too. I am on a 14 day course because of a sinus infection, which has made a world of difference. I just have an annoying cough and I have 3 days left of the course. What I have found fascinating is other people mentioning crazy vivid dreams and blurry eyes. I never would have associated it to the drug had I not read these comments. I'll stick out the course as I don't want the sinus infection to come back but boy it's a weird antibiotic!!"

Emma from England (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Prescribed 500mg twice a day for 14 days for a skin infection following surgery as Co-Axoxiclav did not work. A couple of hours after taking the first pill I noticed a strong metallic taste in my mouth - minor problem though so would obviously put up with this. On day 2, I had awful stomach cramps doubled over in pain which then became severe diarrhoea for over 24 hours before I stopped taking them altogether. I also had one night were I had really bad dreams & hallucinated that there was someone in my room! I now know that's a known problem with these drugs. My doc is prescribing me an alternative but if they don't work then its hospital treatment for me."

Lisa24782 (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2016

For Strep Throat: "It's 4.20am. Despite feeling exhausted, I have been awake since 12.30am. I have the metallic taste, diarrhoea, nausea, indigestion and a headache after 2 days on it. Hopefully the doc will change it tomorrow"

Yuk66466777 6 August 23, 2016

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Sinusitis: "i always get sinusitis on a yearly basis. on my worst occasion, i tried 'em all from Zythromax to Ammoxicillian, etc. none worked for me. ONLY Biaxin works!! MD says its not the most recommended antibiotic for sinusitis but does work and is the only one that works for me. Yes ~ it does leave a metallic taste in my mouth, but i like knowing its in my system and attacking my problem so i don't mind the taste at all... i was also told it is a very old antibiotic, but its an "Oldie but Goodie"!! Some insurance will cover it while others will not."

golden years, phooey July 30, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I was taking Doxycycline but was switched to Clarithromycin since it's summer and can't be in the sun with Doxy. Clarithromycin doesn't seem as strong as the Doxy for me at 500 mg 2x day, to get peak results. I too get a metal taste in mouth when taking this. I experience some fatigue, but I'm not sure if it is from the meds not being as strong as Doxy. Some people have mentioned stomach aches etc. like the person taking it for H-Pylori. That experience is die off of bacteria which causes the stomach aches etc. called herxing. The bacteria release toxins into our body after they are killed, and that is what causes the awful feeling. It is actually a good thing that doesn't last more than 2 hrs or so. Killing the bacteria is the goal."

Lymie222 July 29, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I just wanted to thank everyone who has posted on this site about clarithromycin and the side effects they've had, as I thought I was losing my mind from the hallucinations and crazy dreams this antibiotic has caused me. It's a relief to know it's not just me, although obviously I don't want others to suffer! After two days on this antibiotic for sinusitis and inner ear infection, I have literally felt like I was dying, fever, chills, anxiety and then at night hallucinating, which is really scary, especially when you don't know what's causing it. So thank god I found this site and now can link the clarithromycin to the side effects of the last two days. I have now stopped taking it and am going to ask for a different type of antibiotic."

anacondabonnie July 23, 2016

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I had bad side effects with this medicine so I called my doctor and stopped it my doctor told me that the benefits from the medicine outweighs the side effects so I went back on the medicine and I found out that eating with medicine helps with the belly pains and orange juice takes away the metallic taste"

TheillOne (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "I'm either allergic or suffer severe side effects to all antibiotics I've tried with the exception of Clarithromycin & Ciprofloxacin. I've been taking Clarithromycin as my preferred antibiotic for over 20 years. I'm sorry to see so many people have issues with it. Maybe people like me who have always had very positive results just don't post. I do not have any side effects & have used it for everything from pneumonia to upper & lower respiratory infections. I have severe asthma so it is extremely important to stop any respiratory infection ASAP. Everyone is different pls don't dismiss this antibiotic without discussing it with your doctor & their other patients opinions. Personally, it is my antibiotic of choice."

Rue55 July 10, 2016

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "The first day was terrible, I had the headaches, nausea, general ill feeling, neck and shoulder pain, eyes pain, this happens every other day. Also bitter taste. Thankfully am on the ninth day and I pray it clears the pylori. Cause I can't do it again. Scary experience, oh yes heat flushes as well"

Surfy July 3, 2016

For Pneumonia: "I've am on 500mg twice a day for pnumonia which I have had twice before..feeling much better after day 2 although energy levels still pretty low..side effects are grumbling,painful stomach ache and a horrible taste in your mouth plus I go dizzy at times and forget things.."

Lorren Preston (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2016

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "Sadly I'm only on day 1 of this medicine combine with amoxcillin and Lansoprazole and it's hell i got extreme dizziness I feel so slow with thinking my stomach is burning few minutes after the drugs and I got bad diheroea. The symptoms start to decrease few hrs after first dose but return when I take my second dose. Never again will I take this antibiotic and I have 6 days left "

HurtsSoBad (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2016

For Skin and Structure Infection: "I am taking this for a regular toe infection I can't see the actual impact on my toe due to a bandage so I will talk about the side effects and ease of use. The tablets go down easily with water but remember to have something after to get rid of the after taste. I haven't experienced any major side effects except for a mild dry throat many people are saying they have had a metallic taste and they are right but with my pills (250 mg) I struggle to find it worse than mildly irritating you don't care if you genuinely need anti-biotics. it is there but when you really need the medication this shouldn't matter"

not bad (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2016

For Strep Throat: "Positively would never use this again. The first night on it the metal/acid taste appeared and stayed all night into the morning. Really disgusting. The second night I was up with severe nausea in addition to the taste. Stopped after two days as it was making me feel sicker than the reason I was prescribe the drug (strep). Also throat did not improve much. Got an alternative antibiotic. Everyone may not have the same experience but mine was very negative."

Matty J June 17, 2016

For Otitis Media: "I have been on clarithromycin for 2 days. The first day I took the medication I experienced voracious hunger pains to where I had to eat a snack ever 30 mins to an hour. The next morning the hunger pains returned; thankfully I had brought a variety of snacks to work, or else I would have been in trouble. Terrible anxiety; I am not sure if it has exacerbated an already existing anxiety disorder or if I am nervous about being on the medicine. I am awake now in the middle of the night because of a irresistible cough. I am wondering if this is allergies or a side effect of the medicine. This is a horrible antibiotic and I am just praying I don't get the metallic taste in my mouth or the nightmares."

Coughing in Tennessee (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2016

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Strep Throat: "Obviously no antibiotic is going to be easy but this is tolerable. I am allergic to penicillin so I always get prescribed biaxin. It always clears up my infections, the only down side is the horrible bitter taste. My best advice besides chewing gum / mints in between is eat dark chocolate before & after - it actually does help subside the bitter taste! Also take the probiotic pearls with each dosage, it should help your stomach and prevent diarrhea. Eat as much yogurt as possible or drink Kefir milk -- kefir milk is the best probiotic you can take. It works wonders! You may get some minor headaches / stomach discomfort the first couple days, but let your body adjust and you should be fine. Its definitely tolerable, compared to other meds."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2016