User Reviews for Clarithromycin systemic

Legionella Pneumonia

1 review 26 medications
Mycobacterium avium-...ulare, Treatment

1 review 13 medications
Bacterial Endocarditis PreventionNot rated - Be the first1 review 56 medications
Summary of Clarithromycin reviews 5.6 536 reviews

Reviews for Clarithromycin

For Mycoplasma Pneumonia: "I was prescribed clarithromycin by my GP for pneumonia : 2 tablets, twice a day, for 7 days. I do feel better.... but I noticed another thing this antibiotic helped cure. When I was brushing my sensitive teeth... I noticed no more bleeding ... no more gingivitis. I Googled " clarithromycin and gingivitis" and was surprised to find a case study on this topic with the same results from the patient."

LD (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2019

For Mycoplasma Pneumonia: "I had a chest infection which was attempted to be treated with amoxicillin, after becoming very unwell and admitted to hospital temp 41c , heart rate of 160. I was isolated and presumed to have flu - i had Mycoplasma Pneumoniae. I was treated for two days in hospital and prescribed 500mg clarythromycin twice daily for two weeks. I am now on day 8 and do feel better but I am still coughing up a lot of 'gunk'. The only side affect I would say is a bit of an upset tummy but I've no appetite anyway."

Nurseontheotherside January 10, 2019

For Skin and Structure Infection: "Not sure how the drug helped the finger infection (Paronychia) which seemed to get worse before getting better (which it might have done on its own). The only side effect I suffered was the metallic taste in mouth, but I have to say that this was a hideous experience, particularly at night. Have a constant urge to spit to get rid of the taste (a bit like what happens before you vomit), but the taste comes back almost immediately. I am not sure if I can make it to the end of the course and I only have a couple more days to go! "

clarithromycin hater (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2019

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "I am on day 4 of a five day course and have never felt so ill. I started with tonsillitis which progressed to vomiting, diahorea, dry mouth a terrible metallic taste , headache , feeling like I was going to pass out, stomach cramps, the list has been endless for me . The tonsillitis actually seemed to get better after 2 days and I don't understand why I have been prescribed a medication that has made me feel so ill."

De De (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2019

For Sinusitis: "I have been using this for 3 days and it had been great. It did give me a fever the first dose, but after that no issues. It does cause a metallic, almost soapy, taste that lingers but nothing some menthol drops don't over power."

Yearly sinus issue (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2019

For Sinusitis: "I had a really bad sinus infection and was put onto this drug I noticed I don't want to eat or drink as it is altering my appetite and I'm a diabetic so definitely not good for lows. I'm more tired and exhausted easily since being on this drug and nauseous. Also diarrhea is a challenge even with probiotics and tummy cramps"

Megsi (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2019

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "My doctor prescribed me this with amoxicillin for H. Pylori. First few days it made my stomach even more upset. WORST TASTE EVER! It's so gross and makes my mouth feel so dry and raw my tongue is inflamed. Boy.. did it work? Yes, my stomach started feeling better day 4. Was it worth it? I'd say yes. But be prepared to keep sipping on things and eat lots of hard candy to keep a nice taste in your mouth. I got a few more days to go hopefully this goes away for good!"

SABBs (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2018

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Bronchitis: "Beware - do not mix with Zantac (ranitidine)....horrendous diarrhea...."

Suze (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2018

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I've already posted my foul experience on this brutal anti biotic..but want to add I drank fresh lemon juice in hot water and it helped the bad bitter taste that took 3 days after I'd stopped the clarythromycin to subside...hope it helps.. worth a try.."

Annie (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2018

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Took this after I had tooth extracted that had an abscess. My jaw swelled up and I was in extreme pain..took 500mg twice daily for 7 days. I experienced heart racing, tremors, nausea and bitter taste coming from gums. I couldn't sleep for more than a couple of hours. The swelling went down slowly and have finished the course. But 2 days being off it now and I'm still having palpitations and terrible taste not sleeping well either. I have started on a course of probiotics and using salt water mouth rinses to help with horrible taste. I told my dentist about the heart racing and bad taste she told me I wasn't eating enough!! Will add this to my list of drugs NEVER to be taken again...EVER.."

Annie (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2018

For Sinusitis: "I have been taking Biaxin for 6 days. I was horribly sick to the extent that I couldn’t even get out of bed. I was so miserable. I had sinus pain, throat infection, and annoying cough (the kind that keeps you awake all night and makes you pee your pants). It is true, Biaxin gives this unpleasant metallic taste that stays with you 24 hours a day, BUT IT WORKS. I guess your experience depends on how sick and miserable you feel. I would rather experience the metallic taste than feeling so sick."

Skinnycow (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2018

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "This medicine has some bad taste, but I found the cure. Use chewing gum at all times during the period of having the medicine."

Jas December 9, 2018

For Sinusitis: "My ENT recommended 500mg in morning & evening for a suspected post nasal drip. I’ve had a cough for 11 months & all other tests by other specialists were normal. No laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR) or acid reflux either. I was given 250mg twice a day 2 months ago by different ENT & felt no side effects. This new dosage is stronger, giving me vivid scary dreams and I feel very groggy in the morning when I wake up. I’m supposed to take it for 5 days & if I don’t feel 50% better, I’m supposed to stop it & call doctor. This is Day 4 and my coughing spasms remain the same. This medication dose is too strong for me. I can’t wait to stop it!"

chicagopd (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2018

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I am so angry after taking this drug. I have to take this for a H. pylori infection and it is absolutely nasty. I have a very HORRIBLE metallic taste in my mouth and I hate this drug with a vengeance. I am on my fourth day and I have not being a functioning human for four days. I am on the verge of giving up. I am abstaining from clarithromycin as far as I can in the future. Absolutely horrible experience."

i hate clarithromycin (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2018

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "Received granules for oral suspension which was ready made up. The taste is absolutely horrendous I can not explain could not even take full recommended amount as was sick and left me heaving and coughing all night when did finally sleep kept waking to awful taste no matter what I tried I couldn't shift it. I would rather suffer than have to cope with this medication will be going back to GP in morning for something else as I have never had trouble taking medication and actually like the taste of amoxycillin. Do not recommend"

Wills November 4, 2018

For Pneumonia: "This drug has definitely helped to clear up my pneumomia, but not without some terrible side effects. Most of which, I didn't realize were common until I saw this thread! Day 1 hit me hard. Felt suddenly extremely unwell and tired. Nausea and no appetite. Sense of taste altered. Also, extremely anxious, night sweats, shakes, heart racing, difficulty sleeping. Every time I would almost fall asleep, I would snap back awake, heart sped up. Horrible taste in mouth. Had I realized it was the meds, I would have switched earlier! Have pressed through and am now on Day 5 of 7. I have slowly adjusted, each day have a little more energy. I was so close to dropping this medication, but being so close to the end now, going to try and push through."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2018

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I am on day 1 of this medication for H. Pylori infection along with Amoxicillin. So far the only awful side effect is the bad taste that lingers in my mouth. I have had random nausea, but I was having nausea before I started this medication because of the H. Pylori infection so that is nothing new. I have been drinking blueberry juice to help with the bitter taste and it seems to be working. Hopefully the side effects of this medication will wear off with time, but I will have to wait and see. It is nice to know other people are having the same experience as me though!"

Sickly (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2018

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I’m on day 12 of taking this medication, 4 tablets (30mg lansoprazole, 500 clarithromycin and 2x500 Amoxicillin) after breakfast and another 4 after dinner. For the first time in 12 days I’m experiencing a brutal bitter taste in my throat, this happened after I went for a nap right after ingesting the medicine. A white and red stuff came out through my mouth and nose with a horrible bitter taste and disgusting smell. I just have two days left for this medicine. But what I can advise is give time for the medicine be digested before going to bed. The most exciting thing is I was struggling with bad breath for years, however after day 2 of taking this medicine the bad breath is totally disappeared. The bacteria is stinky, after I check in google I found it that bad breath is one of the signs of the disease."

Solo October 22, 2018

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I am on 1000mg clarithromycin, 2000mg amoxicillin and 40mg omeprazole a day. I only just started the treatment and I have been feeling a bit sick and have had the bitter/metallic taste. My advice is: do not read reviews. Every time I get sick I look online and terrify myself. I’ve been told not to but I’m a curious person, this time reading these reviews I cried and I never cry. EVERYONE HAS DIFFERENT EXPERIENCES is what I’ve learned. The success rate of this plan is 85% so no matter what you experience it WILL be better than ending up with something much worse like stomach cancer or a stomach ulcer"

Lilla (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2018

For Strep Throat: "Worst experience. I was prescribed this antibiotic for Strep Throat because I am allergic to penicillin. I am currently on day 5 of a 10 day course. I will no longer be taking this drug. It is 2am and I am wide awake, all week have been having crazy vivid dreams, disgusting unbearable taste in mouth at all times that just keeps getting worse, heart palpitations, anxiety, the list goes on. If you have a different option please consider that. I wish someone had warned me about the awful side effects."

Very uncomfortable human (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2018

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "Was prescribed Clarithomycin after Penicillin failed to get rid of a severe bout of tonsillitus. I was given the liquid form of two 5ml doses a day. After just two days I can swallow pain free, breathe and my tonsills and swelling have significantly reduced. Which is amazing considering I was hospitalised just two days before! My body feels completely fine. The only side effects I get are the horrible after taste (which kinda taste like you filled a metal bath with bleach and deodorant, washed it out with dish washer soap then licked the whole bath rim) - which only lasts around half an hour max, which I always mask with a fruity ice pop (not sure why it just seems to work!) I've also vomited a few times but that could also be down to the phlegm which makes me gag ( . I also gave up smoking so double as phlegmy these days) and force feeding myself. Overall do not feel nauseous though. Would recommend if you have severe tonsillitis that's not clearing up and want quick results."

dustysauce October 18, 2018

For Pneumonia: "This medication was prescribed to treat my pneumonia. I felt the side effects from day 1. Weird metallic and bitter taste in my mouth, dry mouth and lips even after drinking fluids, anxiety, fear, palpitations, weakness, very strong headaches, hallucinations, nightmares, sweating, fast heart rates. On the other hand I can breath again and the terrible back and chest pain are gone. If there is a future need for me to have antibiotics I would really avoid this one. Side effects are away too much to take when you already feel poor and weary."

Jackie (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2018

For Pneumonia: "Went to the drs after picking up a bug on a long haul flight, which led to a bad chest infection. I was a total mess. How I walked to the drs I have no clue. Sat almost weeping in the waiting room, dribbling, coughing, choking. Dr checked me over and prescribed these glorious wonder pills. Felt absolutely dreadful (just from the infection/possible pneumonia) for three days. Lay in bed unable to move. But day three came and I could breathe again and even managed 3 hours at uni! The taste in my mouth in the morning is utterly appalling and feel nauseous half an hour after taking them for a bit but no other side effects. I still feel a bit rough, low energy and lingering cough and generally under the weather however I don't feel like I've been through ten rounds with Tyson and am drowning at the same time. Brilliant pills"

Tinkitten (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "I was started on a course of this 2 x 500mg for a week (as I’m allergic to penicillin) due to septic bursitis in my elbow. Let me start by saying within the first day, the swelling in my elbow had gone done and it didn’t feel like glowing hot poker anymore but... the side effects of this drug are horrendous. They leave the most disgusting taste in your mouth and nothing covers it! I’ve lost all appetite because everything tastes of this horrible metallic taste. It also left me with a dry mouth. Another thing I’ve noticed is the most horrendous nightmares, I don’t usually have nightmares but these are seriously not fun. I am now on day 4 of 7 and I’m constantly tired and hungry which is not a good combination. I honestly can’t until this course finishes. The only thing that worries me is that although I had very quick results and feel like my infection is starting to return again."

TeenyTori (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2018

For Bronchitis: "OMG! I have been taking clarithromycin for 3 days and the metallic taste makes me more sick, acid reflux and too much coughing that I cannot breath anymore. I will never try it again"

Ariam (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...