User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Bacterial Endocarditis PreventionNot rated - Add rating1 review 56 medications
Summary of Clarithromycin reviews 5.6 587 reviews

Reviews for Clarithromycin

Cali · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2019

For Sinusitis: "I was instructed to take this clarithromycin antibiotic for 10 days for a suspected sinus infection. The joke is that my doctor didn't do any testing to make sure that I had a bacterial sinus infection - it could've been viral or fungal, but I was just handed these drugs & sent on my way. I got all the usual side effects, upset stomach, the worst bloating ever and gas all day long. I took them with food but it still affected me. The bitter taste in my mouth was disgusting but tolerable. By day 5 heartburn struck & I felt very unstable mentally & physically. I began to get oral thrush caused by these tablets and this is when I gave up. I couldn't push myself to take anymore & now I have to take more medicine to clear the thrush. I can't even give the tablets any credit for clearing my infection because I may not have needed them to begin with."

Mysticmelia July 18, 2019

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "I went back to the doctor and she prescribed me "Clacee" 500mg which is Clarithromycin for 5 days taking two tablets daily and Prednisone 40mg per day for 5 days, because I had a secondary infection that was caused by the flu. I am now on day 3 of the antibiotics with 5 tablets left to go. I can honestly say I got side effects of the antibiotics such as the bitter taste ( which is not that bad only stays for a few hours), nausea (only in the morning and not as bad) and a loose stool once a day. For me honestly the side effects aren't that bad and it my chest feels better already on the third day. I would rather live with the side effects (which is really not that bad) than get even more sick and end up in hospital. I would also recommend you take probiotics while on the antibiotics a few hours after you have taken the antibiotics and eat yogurt during the day as well as they help restore the "healthy" bacteria in your gut as well. Hope I could help someone out."

Mely July 16, 2019

For Sinusitis: "Horrible side effects, dizzy, nausea, bad breath, upsets stomach."

GCM · Taken for less than 1 month July 13, 2019

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I have had a terrible reaction to this drug which has resulted in 2 hospital stays and lingering side effects. I took the tablets as prescribed for 5 days. First 2 days no side effects. Day 3-4 chills and the start of a rash. Day 5 rushed to ER due to rashes all over and swelling of the eyes. These symptoms have now gone away but deep tissue itchiness continues. These symptoms sent us back to the ER where I was admitted and monitored for 5 days and released. Post hospital experience now 12 days later include extreme fatigue, rapid dropping of blood pressure making it difficult to stand and walk, back pain, no stamina or strength. Seeing a blood specialist next week for further diagnosis."

Allergic to Everything · Taken for less than 1 month July 6, 2019

For Sinusitis: "I was put on a high dose of clarithromycin when a sinus infection became complicated and went into my parotid gland causing severe swelling and pain in my cheek and jaw. The horrible metallic taste is normal with this med. Sucking on lemon drops or other hard candies can help. This med will cause stomach upset and cramps etc Unless you eat lots of yogurt- any kind and even the sweet not so good for you yummy tasting kind will work too. So you need to take it with the yogurt, you will need to eat a full meal then take the meds. This really will help keep stomach issues at bay as best as possible. The med helped clear my infection up fast and was totally worth any inconvenience seeing that I tend to be allergic to everything."

Lee July 1, 2019

For Sinusitis: "As a regular sufferer of sinusitis (although been few and far between as I get older), this has always been my go-to antibiotic. The 'mycin' family antibiotics work really well for me, whereas sulfas I have an allergic response to and amoxicillin only gives me yeast infections..usually 500 mg every 12, but I don't need it for long...closer to 5 days than 10.. I notice side effects when I don't really need it: bad taste in mouth, stomach upset, the trots, nausea. I find this drug works amazing well for me. Although I'm usually advised to take the whole amount, my body simply can't handle it, and lets me know when its time to stop! When its working, none of those side effects are present- just healing. Different antibiotics work differently for different peoples systems..but if erythromycin works for you, this is like its stronger big brother. I recommend."

Simon · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2019

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Taking 250mg clarithromycin twice a day after 3 days I feel so ill like I have terrible flu I'm taking it for an infected toe felt fine before taking this, constant nausea and stomach pain, unable to eat food, can't sleep feel so weak and tired all the time this is horrible stuff!"

Happy · Taken for less than 1 month June 20, 2019

For Dental Abscess: "I took HALF of 1 pill & waited one hour and took the other half. One hour later my HEART was racing, I had EXTREME NAUSEA, I developed a DISGUSTING TASTE in my mouth that tasted like COPPER! I use this reference because as a kid, I once put money (a coin) in my mouth & that is what it tasted like. I developed some ANXIETY (I've taken meds for this for 25 + years.) This by far is the WORSE ANTIBIOTIC I have a ever taken & WILL NEVER again. I've NEVER experienced this from a Antibiotic! I will put it on my ALLERGIES list. I noticed after writing this, another person had a very similar experience."

Harley · Taken for less than 1 month June 15, 2019

For Pneumonia: "I have 10 hours left until my 4th dose of Biaxin XL 500mg x2 tabs once per day. I finally feel like I’m back in the land of the living! After nearly 2 weeks of feeling absolutely awful (running 102 temps, headaches, pneumonia and so fatigued and weak that I was sleeping 20 hrs a day), this has been a Godsend! I was fortunate and have had very few side effects , just mild diarrhea for the first two days but that seems to have cleared up. I’ve had no nausea or metallic taste, but it may be because I was taking it at noon everyday to make sure there would be enough food in my tummy so they didn’t go into an empty stomach. Still have a cough but it has gone from wet to dry. No longer coughing up any gross stuff and my nasal discharge has changed colour working on getting close to clear. First 2 days I felt like I’d been walloped after taking it , but that feeling has passed. So far so good and I would recommend this medication if you have pneumonia."

Philip · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2019

For Sinusitis: "I've never had any issues with my sinuses thus far in my life. I developed cold like symptoms in mid March and thought it would just go away with time. Well no such luck. I thought I had developed allergies out of no where so I started taking Claritin D with Mucinex. The Claritin D offered no relief so I finally made an appointment with Otolaryngologist. He prescribed clarithromycin for 10 days, once in the morning and once at night. After a few days, all my symptoms went away. I could finally breathe out my nose and the sinus pressure vanished. The only thing is by the middle of the day, I could feel the pressure coming back. I also missed a dose one morning and by the end of the day all the symptom came right back. There is also a bitterness to the pill, so I usually eat it with food. I am only on my first round but I hope the second round gets rid of it. If not, my doctor said I would have to get a CT scan."

Gabby · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2019

For Sinusitis: "I have a LOT of allergies to antibiotics so clarithromycin is one of two that I can take, that being said, it works better than the Z-Pak that I am normally prescribed for sinus infections. I unfortunately get them every few months. Last time I had a sinus infection I took the Z-Pak and by the end of the course I was still really sick so my doctor prescribed me Clarithromycin. It is more effective but the side effects for me are pretty bad. It makes my stomach hurt pretty badly despite trying to eat before taking it, makes me feel dizzy, and leaves a gross metallic taste in my mouth. Sometimes it makes me feel kind of panicky but it normally goes away pretty quickly. It has also been giving me some pretty terrifying dreams since I started it. Overall I would rather deal with the unpleasant side effects than deal with a sinus infection so I would definitely say it's effective."

Ken June 10, 2019

For Sinusitis: "My health care provider prescribed Clarithromycin 500mg twice a day. I am 75 yr. old and suffering from sinus and congestion for two weeks. After taking this for 4 days I am so weak and unsteady I can't take care of my farm animals. I don't think I have ever felt so bad. The prescription info says I must take for 10 days and must take all. I will never take this stuff again."

Lelo June 5, 2019

For Otitis Media: "Worse tablets ever. I feel they made me worse as if I wasn't feeling bad enough. Now I've chest pain, terrible taste in mouth and feel so weak and just constant feeling I'm gonna vomit"

Millie · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2019

For Pneumonia: "I'm on my 5th day of clarithromycin for pneumonia and I can't wait to finish it. I'm on 500mg twice daily. I have no drastic side effects but the dreadful taste it leaves in my mouth is overwhelming. It tastes like the sap out of a dandelion stem. It's very unpleasant and makes me feel sick. I'm diabetic but to mask the taste I've had to start sucking sweets to try and stop myself throwing the tablet back up. To be fair the drug is doing its job and it's making me better but it's a pity the manufacturers can't do something about the God awful taste"

Shirty June 2, 2019

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "OMG what a terrible antibiotic. I was prescribed clarithromycin five days ago for leg ulcer that is not healing right from the first tablet had a horrible metallic taste in my mouth which lasts 24/7 tried eating mints etc works at the time but doesn't last. I feel nauseous, cannot sleep, lost my appetite stomach upset. I have one more day to go and thank goodness I'm off them. I have persevered with this drug because I am desperate for this very painful leg ulcer to heal going to get some Actimel or probiotic yogurt to try to replace the good bacteria in my stomach I shall never take this antibiotic again nice to know that I am not the only one ."

Jay · Taken for less than 1 month June 1, 2019

For Sinusitis: "I have been fighting a sinus infection for almost a month now. I am on my third day of taking 1000mg of this antibiotic daily and around 3 hours after taking the pills I get an awful taste in my mouth, along with an upset stomach, a heavy feeling in my stomach and a headache. Awful : ("

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 25, 2019

For Sinusitis: "I had a pretty serious sinus infection. I was having minor fevers every few hours and was as congested as I've ever been. To its credit, it has all but killed the sinus infection in 3.5 days. HOWEVER. I've been nauseous for 3 straight days. It feels like I have rocks in my stomach and a lump in my esophagus. This metallic taste never leaves my mouth. Diarrhea 3x a day. Occasional headaches. And I still have 6.5 days left on this questionable medication. I would rather have the fevers and congestion back. I am never getting this medication again if I can help it."

FuckThisMedicine · Taken for less than 1 month May 14, 2019

For Sinusitis: "I'm currently taking the Clarithromycin (500mg twice daily) for sinusitis. I had bad sinus pain, which led me to get the medicine in the first place. After taking the medicine however, I would get terrible headaches, which I confused for the sinus pain. On top of that terribleness, I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and every time I took this medicine I would be wayyyyy more anxious. Not to mention, some days I have a loss of appetite. Overall, I think the medicine does its job, but to me it isn't even worth it. Luckily I've been spared from the awful taste in my mouth as described by others."

Ray May 14, 2019

For Sinusitis: "I have been clarithromycin for two days now for sinusitis and so far it seems to be working as my pain has eased and I feel much better but the metallic taste in my mouth is overwhelming. Am also experiencing dizziness and fatigue."

kai · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2019

For Sinusitis: "On day three of the clarithromycin 500mg XL for sinusitis and I don’t see even the slightest difference. I have had major diarrhea, nausea, loss of appetite, fatigue, confusion, and the worst headache I have ever had to the point where I can’t move or it hurts more. I also have that foul metal taste and it certainly wakes you at night. I have taken so many antibiotics in my life but these have definitely been the hardest to cope with, especially with how huge these pills are. **UPDATE** ended up getting sinusitis again 2 weeks later. Never again with these pills. I had all those listed side effects from the pill for no reason, as infection is back. I will now be telling my doctors that I do not get along with Biaxin."

jesse · Taken for less than 1 month May 11, 2019

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I had been sick about every 2 or 3 months with diarrhea. My doctor said I just had a virus. This went on for almost 1 year before I got another doctor. I ask her if she could do a blood test for me. My symptoms were vomiting, bad diarrhea and bloating, belching. She did the test and I was positive for h.pylori. I was devastated and really upset. Now taking amoxicillin twice daily and clarithromyc twice daily with omeprazole. Everyone is pretty much correct about the side effects. I really have a hard time with the diarrhea. The other side effects are tolerable. Hang in there and take the meds. We all need to kill this terrible bacteria as it has really bad effects like increase gastric cancer etc"

Meg · Taken for less than 1 month May 8, 2019

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "I will avoid ever having to take this clarithromycin antibiotic again. I gave up taking it after 3 days as I decided I'd rather put up with the tonsillitis. The constant foul taste in my mouth and insomnia were just too much to take. Never again"

Emma · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2019

For Sinusitis: "I had a cold and cough which would not go away and a sinus infection for 2 weeks. I was prescribed clarithromycin and after 50 mins of taking it got the biggest headache/migraine in my life. Ended up in emergency on a drip and on anti migraine medication. This drug was not good for me and had terrible side effects, will never use this again!"

FiGi · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2019

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "Attended my G.P and informed I have tonsillitis who prescribed 7 days of clarithromycin antibiotics (500mg) which are working. I am well improved today and can now eat and drink. Although, the taste in my mouth 1 hour later is terrible and without paracetamol I have a numb headache, however this is a side effect of the medication. Overall though, it has worked wonders!"

Kc May 3, 2019

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I was seriously down with nausea (urge to vomit frequently), diarrhea, dizziness, fatigue, stomach upset, and acid reflux (sometimes I feel tightness around my neck & as if food is stuck in my throat with burning stomach). After some test, said I had malaria & a stomach infection of H-pylori. I was placed on antimalarial, metronidazole, tetracycline, amoxyl, omeprazole & antacid. I got better on 1st day, but became worse later, I was hospitalized for 2 days due to severe weakness, I lost much weight and the symptoms were still there. I finally had an Endoscopy and it was confirmed that I have gastritis & duodenitis. I was placed on Pylorest (Clarithromycin 500mg 2xdaily, Amoxyl 1gram 2xdaily, Rabeprazole 20mg 2xdaily). I am on the 7th day now, but got worse on the 2nd day, with awful taste in my mouth & throat, mild nausea & muscle pains. The drug side effects can't be compared with what I passed through earlier. I am fine with my triple treatment now. Three more days to complete my treatment & the symptoms are fading away."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)