User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Bacterial Endocarditis Prevention 1 reviews 56 medications
Summary of Clarithromycin reviews 5.5 678 reviews

Reviews for Clarithromycin

Kate · Taken for less than 1 month August 5, 2020

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: “So, um, TMI, but apparently according to my boyfriend this stuff makes more than just your mouth bitter. ”

Tinyfourty · Taken for less than 1 month July 29, 2020

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: “You're probably on this page because you're anxious and you want to find out if your side effects from clarithromycin are normal or if you'd have to face anything worse. I'm on day 8/10 of this medication day 1 through 3 was really awful like everyone else is saying here I have shivers, bad nausea, excessive salivation, diarrhea and loss of appetite. It stopped from day 4-6 and the nausea and diarrhea started again, the diarrhea is so bad that it hurts when I pass stool now and I don't have an appetite again. I guess we just have to really watch what we eat and hope this goes away soon. Take care, be strong and don't give up. We don't want to be put on a higher dose now do we? Good luck guys”

Tartanlass · Taken for less than 1 month July 27, 2020

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “Was prescribed this clarithromycin a week ago for an abscess and have thankfully just taken the last of my course. I had an abscess which is thankfully healing and I thank these antibiotics for that but I can’t even describe how bad the taste in my mouth has been, always peaking a couple hours after I’ve taken them and through the night. It is disgusting and I have a sore tongue. I can only describe it as a constant taste of poison or like I seen someone else say, like someone has sprayed a whole can of hairspray in your mouth.”

Anonymous6789 · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2020

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: “Took one dose of this clarithromycin medicine with amoxicillin to start triple therapy for H pylori. The taste is like you just ate a metal sandwich and it doesn’t go away. Other side effects I have is itching, extreme paranoia and insomnia at night. I was convinced someone was breaking into my house. Contacted my GI and let her know that this medication isn’t going to work for me. I am very sensitive to antibiotics and have anxiety so hopefully others don’t experience the same thing.”

Alano · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2020

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: “After first dose I noticed elevated heart rate and went to bed. Experienced chills in bed and could not sleep. Took paracetamol and that helped; awoke again at 2am feeling dreadful. Went to toilet and collapsed on the way back to bed. Lay on the floor sweating profusely for 30 minutes. Made it back to bed and after a while managed to doze. In the morning, could not walk back to bed with dizziness and had to lie on the floor. Went to hospital where they gave me my second dose of Clarithromycin and could barely stand for a chest X-ray. Doctors would not believe that I was having a drug reaction. Finally a doctor accepted it was a possibility and stopped it. Began to feel better the next day and progressively better, but I had developed a clot on my lung in the meantime. Terrible experience. Have black listed this drug for me.”

Jodie · Taken for less than 1 month June 21, 2020

For Sinusitis: “I got this antibiotic what would have been 3 days ago today. The first day I had a complete break down and cried my eyes out. I was extremely emotional and depressed feeling hopeless and felt like I was losing my mind. I couldn’t stop crying. I have a metallic taste in my mouth and have had headaches every day. Last night I was all of a sudden having excruciating stomach cramps I couldn’t stand or sit or lay down the pain was unbearable. I considered calling 911 because the pain was so bad but settled for 811 health link instead. I thought I was dying. It took hot pads and pain killers to even be able to lay down. Today I am stuck on the couch (husbands orders) and after last night my stomach is still very tender and cramping but nothing compared to how it was. I would suggest never taking this medication. It was an absolute nightmare and I will NEVER take this again, it shouldn’t even be prescribed to people. It is absolute poison.”

Kiki · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2020

For Sinusitis: “I’m currently on day 6 of this medication and I haven’t noticed any improvement whatsoever. When the medication wasn’t working and I started getting pain in my top rear molars I made an appointment with my dentist. They checked everything yesterday and told me there’s no tooth infection (even though I feel pressure in my teeth)... I don’t know why I still have sore cheek bones, pressure around my nose and eye, swollen lymph nodes.. and this awful medication isn’t helping at all. It’s super discouraging. I don’t know what’s wrong with me but I’m going to finish the full course (4days left). The one thing I did find odd is I haven’t experienced this gross metal taste everyone else is talking about? I’ve had a whole other slew of TERRIBLE side effects that have made me call a nurse at 2am though...”

123 · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2020

For Otitis Media: “I’ve been on Clarithromycin twice, I knew the first course was brilliant after day one. However my infection didn’t clear up straight away afterwards I was still experiencing leaking ear and smell. I rang and told my doctor and she prescribed me the same antibiotics. However this time around I am suffering with so many side affects after 3 days I have diarrhea and feeling sick my anxiety attacks have gone through the rough and feeling tight chested on top of all of that I am asthmatic hot and cold sweats and feeling really tired. I thought I was the only one so it has helped me reading everyone else’s reviews.”

Stranger · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2020

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: “I am on day three of the h-pylori treatment. And honestly am living in a nightmare. I never thought there is any medication this brutal. And it's true what most people said everyday comes with its own surprise. My first dosage got me shivering and my legs were shaking I even struggled to get to the bathroom. I had diarrhea and very bad nausea. Day two my stomach felt really weird like there is something like a stone was pressing the walls of my stomach and very severe insomnia. Today is day 3 I had the same feeling in my stomach the whole day. I don't know whether I will be able fall asleep tonight. This is a drug where nightmares are made.”

Sally May 5, 2020

For Bronchitis: “Throwing these clarithromycin in the garbage!!! Got extremely hungry, sweating and anxiety like I have never felt before. Felt really weak and like I was going insane. Lasted about 7 minutes and was so relieved when it was over. You couldn't pay me a million dollars to take another pill again.”

Spud May 2, 2020

For Otitis Media: “Promised myself I'd write a review of this medication if I survived the week on it! Was terrified to take it having read the negative reviews and expected horrendous side effects. The brand name was Clonocid. It was the second antibiotic prescribed for an ear infection. It didn't solve the issue. The side effects for me weren't as bad as others reported. They do put an unpleasant taste in your mouth. I always took a glass of milk or yogurt after taking mine which helped. They are big tablets and I couldn't wait to be off them, but side effects were manageable. Did have a little insomnia and occasional headaches so I wouldn't be keen to take them again. Having said that, if they've been prescribed I wouldn't let the reviews here frighten you too much. A pharmacist advised me that the bad side effects are rare and sometimes be result of interaction with existing medications. Discussing my fears with them helped put my mind at ease so if you're still concerned, maybe chat to yours.”

Prabhu · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2020

For Bronchitis: “I have been using this medicine (clarithromycin 500mg) as and when I get allergic bronchitis. This is the only medicine suits for me and it is giving me fast relief without any side effects.”

Kitty · Taken for less than 1 month April 28, 2020

For Dental Abscess: “Recently took a weeks course of this antibiotic clarithromycin and now since I have finished the course I have lost my sense of taste and smell. Food is like chewing cardboard, I really hope it comes back anyone else experience this? It's just I asked my cousin who is a dr and she has said clarithromycin wouldn't cause that, its possibly seasonal allergies doing it”

Mj April 19, 2020

For Pneumonia: “Where do I start with this antibiotic? Got diagnosed with pneumonia got put on amoxicillin, finished course breathing got worse. Then was prescribed all I can describe as this awful meds\ clarithromycin. EVIL things, strongly advise against these. First day on them felt ill and slept all day and night, from then on I just felt worse. Had a severely upset stomach, metallic taste that doesn’t go, headaches from hell and insomnia.Only positive is I’ve lost weight, apart from that I would not choose to be on these meds again.”

Jenetic · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2020

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: “Horrible drug, I was prescribe Clarithromycin 500mg twice a day with flagyl 400mg twice a day and rabreprazole ( asiphex) 20mg twice a day every twelve hours. My 1st dosage I started having a raising heart rate I checked my heart rate it was 118bpm per minute. I went to bed and calm down and that start reducing. Every day different side effect this medicine is too strong, I only manage to take it for four days as I couldn’t bare the to tough it out anymore. Feels like my body has left me, lost a few kg in just four days...dizziness, heart palpitations, muscle weakness, feeling like to collapse every seconds is too hard to handle plus feeling like your heart is going to stop. Never again will I try this. God bless peeps”

JenJen · Taken for less than 1 month April 8, 2020

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: “Was put on this clarithromycin med for sore throat infection that I’ve had for 2+ weeks. Sore throat resolved with the first 1 -2 doses. But the side effects so far on Day 2 are harrowing. Constant bad (metallic) taste in my mouth, constant burning in stomach, and now horrendous stomach cramps that make me curl up in a ball. I feel as though the throat issue is quickly being resolved only to now have a stomach issue. Have many more days to go -fingers crossed that my body acclimates to this med and the stomach issues subside.”

Utpoiaflower · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2020

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: “It actually took me 2 days to start taking Clarithromycin, I read the reviews and become terrified. I went back to the pharmacy to ask if they had capsule form or if I could break it up. I was advised no. They told that they have l'tiquid form but I had to contact the GP again. I just thought I can wait I need to psych myself. I bought some apple juice and psyched my self and did it. I felt so proud as I find it difficult swallowing big tablets. 1st day good I could breath, second day no side effects as such, third day sleeping problems, 4th day insomnia and anxiety, 5 day insomnia, extreme anxiety, vivid dreams, uncontrollable thoughts of soon, extreme sore throat that left me awake all night I'm now on 6th day, I was going to stop, as I don’t want a secondary infection, pharmacist told me to continue so on day 6. It has not been easy but the sore throat, insomnia and excessive anxiety are horrendous.”

Bilbo Baggins · Taken for less than 1 month April 6, 2020

For Otitis Media: “I might as well have been prescribed POISON!☠️ than clairthromycin. On day two my earache got worse and by day three I couldn’t sleep a wink. Moreover I experienced stomach cramps, anxiety, panic attacks, groin pain, nausea, metallic zinc taste in the mouth, nightmares and finally suicidal ideation. My Doctor then prescribed me Flucloxacillin and only after one day it kicked in and my earache started to ease off. After reading the other reviews on Clarithromycin I realise I am not alone in my experience. I think this ‘medication’ should have its license withdrawn and be banned in the UK.”

Chloe M85 April 2, 2020

For Strep Throat: “Where do I start? I had strep throat before and this time was worse, I was given these clarithromycin antibiotics as as stronger alternative to penicillin which had also made me vomit, I was in a bad way. A day or so after taking these, my mental health declined (I have an anxiety disorder, ocd and depression) nothing could have prepared me for the terror that my mind went through on these. Shaking, voices and sounds in my ears, intrusive and terrifying thoughts, anxiety and heart beat like I was going to have an attack, crying uncontrollably I had to come stay with my parents for 5 days to get well as I was unable to care for my 18mo daughter as the side effects were so bad and also included headaches, nausea and the shakes. I thought I had truly lost my mind. It has been a Rollercoaster and not a good ride at all. I would ask anyone (especially if they have MH problems) to avoid these. I am glad I read other reviews and I am now reassured that it's not just me who encountered these ill affects.”

Bella March 24, 2020

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: “clarithromycin left a terrible taste in my mouth, especially around the back of my throat.”

Hy March 14, 2020

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: “Undeniably the taste in mouth is foul. I also had a few benign palpitations. However I had a major chest infection that meant I was coughing mucus almost constantly finding it hard to breathe. On Clarithromycin I started to recover within 3 days and I’m just super grateful that these antibiotics still work and I’m getting better.”

joe · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2020

For Bronchitis: “On clarithromycin for bronchitis only side effect was it upset my stomach”

Used to it now · Taken for 10 years or more March 7, 2020

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: “Due to my intolerance to all antibiotics this is the only one I can take. I put up with the metallic taste, insomnia, hunger pangs and the occasional upset tum to get the job done.”

Pops February 25, 2020

For Bronchitis: “Thankfully I’m on my last day of taking Clarithromycin 500mg, 2 a day for 7 days. Feeling better but still not right & the taste it leaves in my mouth all the time is horrendous. I will be informing my doctor that I can’t take these again.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2020

For Sinusitis: “Made me feel like someone sprayed hairspray in my mouth. So nauseous, bloated. Severe headaches. Feels like sound is so distant”