User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Pharyngitis 4 reviews 46 medications

Legionella Pneumonia 1 reviews 26 medications

Mycobacterium avium-...ulare, Treatment 1 reviews 12 medications

Summary of Clarithromycin reviews 346 reviews 5.5

Reviews for Clarithromycin

For Sinusitis: "I have been sick for nearly 3 weeks now. I had pneumonia and a sinus infection. I had a full course of Levaquin and 60mg of Prednisone a day, and while it did help at first, it did not clear up the sinus infection. 2 days after taking my last dose I couldn't breathe and had the sinus infection trigger a migraine causing me to throw up on top of everything else. I was rushed to the Dr. where I was given 3 shots (Steroids, Rocephen, and Tordal/Zofran) and put on 500mg twice a day of Clarithromycin. This antibiotic has been a God send for me. Yes my stomach gets crampy, I have mild nausea, and very vivid dreams, but after 4 days of this medicine I am feeling so much stronger. I absolutely recommend it."

Ginna'lyn January 15, 2017

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "Took generic Biaxin (500mg 2x a day) / clarythromicin and it quickly made my illness go away but at the expense of crummy side effects. Never had medicine make me have such bad digestive effects (diarrhea) plus severe headaches and spells of dizzyness. After three days called the doctor and he immediately changed my medicine. I do not recommend this medicine at all."

Njguy33 (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2017

For Sinusitis: "In March 2016 had a very mild sinus infection. Typically other antibiotics work so have no clue why this poison was prescribed. I only made it through the 2nd-3rd dose. Anyway, I had the worst headache that ended with me in the emergency room. I then had tinnitus that sounded like crickets chirping for nearly a month. A couple weeks after ending this I started to have full right arm numbness that kinda worried me and that was immediately followed by vision loss, extreme fatique and confusion. After rounds with doctors I finally got a real scan and it showed I was suffering from an internal carotid dissection. Hello anticoagulant for a pretty healthy 40 year old. I am not sure if it was related to this drug or not. Awful drug."

brewsky (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2017

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I am on the 6th day of my treatment for H.Pylori. And, it is true that the combination of Amoxicillin, clarithromycin and Nexium brings a bitter taste to your taste but believe me, it's worth it. I am happy for getting diagnosed early and getting well soon."

Anonymous January 5, 2017

For Sinusitis: "I take the meds as I am also allergic to penicillin. Here's a tip for all you with sinus problems.. quit sniffing stuff up your nose!"

SmarterDanU January 4, 2017

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Bad taste in mouth can be helped in my opinion by sucking fruit pastilles, the ones with sugar on. Had this drug before. Smaller doses ok., but the 500mg x 2 per day is awful. Will not be prescribed with this again!!"

Crommir January 1, 2017

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "I was given this antibiotic for a chest infection and have stopped taking it as it made me feel so poorly. I had pains in my chest and my tummy, had diarrhea on the third day and became very anxious. I was due to take a sixth tablet last evening but I feel as if I am poisoning myself....I will let my body heal itself."

Sussed January 1, 2017

For Sinusitis: "12.29.16 I too suffer from sinusitis due to a deviated septum. I've become allergic to penicillin, sulfa & doxycycline, made me lose skin, & I'm sensitive to zpack. I know clarithromycin is in the same family as zpack but man did this work for me within 2 days. No colors, facial pain, cough, etc. I do get that weird metallic taste but I just deal with it. I eat greek yogurt with the doses (500mg twice a day) to avoid stomach pain & diarrhea due to the good bacteria in the greek yogurt. I do find myself getting hyper at times while on it & tired but its worth it. As far as not sleeping I use marijuana an INDICA strain (yes it makes a difference) in the evenings to help sleep. I try to stay hydrated as well, gatorade. It worked wonders for me."

Im your huckleberry (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016

For Pneumonia: "I have been given clarithromycin and a steroid..The taste left in your mouth is terrible. And the weird feeling around the jaw and generally light headed. But boy has it cleared my chest in just 2 days.. I can breathe and coughing is not painful. But the taste is hard work and makes you wanna heave. But it's to repair your infection so definitely does as it says on tin."

ISP electrics December 29, 2016

For Strep Throat: "I`m on my second round of antibiotics for recurring strep which morphed into ear and gland issues. The doctor also put me on a muscle relaxant to help reduce the throat swelling. The first night dreamed I was water skiing in a mall in Detroit! Bizarre nightmares and a very listless sleep which I see now that I may have incorrectly attributed to the muscle relaxant. Now I think it`s the clarithromycin. I don`t know about metal but it is a horrible taste. I am tired, have sore muscles, ringing ears and no appetite and I love food! I've only been on clarithromycin for three days. My Rx is 500 mg twice a day for 10 days. I can`t wait to get off this stuff. I've never had such a bad experience with an antibiotic."

Sophie`s mom December 25, 2016

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Prescribed this antibiotic 2 days ago and all its done is made me cough, vomit , phlem/mucus , mild diarrhea. I am sick of it already!!! I still have 5 days to go and I'm seriously considering throwing them is the bin! Horrible taste in my mouth too. I feel like it's making me worse not better! Horrible antibiotic!,"

HaveNoNickname.ie December 24, 2016

For Bronchitis: "Horrible taste in my mouth! It tastes like bitter grapefruit rinds. I'm also having some heart arrthymias so am probably going to stop taking this. Will call Dr tomorrow and request amoxicillin."

Ohioles (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Only been taking this antibiotic for pleurisy and a sinus infection for 3 days. Day 1 bad bitter taste in mouth and terrible thirst. Day 2 diarrhea. Day 3 the worst headache I have ever had. This drug should come with a GIANT warning on the packet. DON'T take this drug it has vile side effects. My Dr has told me to stop it immediately. So I have!"

melonsgal (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2016

For Bronchitis: "Well ... I'm on day five thank god but have three more to go . I thought I was crazy and so did my family . This taste in my mouth is terrible it's in my throat too when I cough . It's bitter but more like hairspray lol . I noticed I was very tired all week but thought that's the flu and tonight I had a glass of wine with dinner and that's when the taste hit me . I thought the wine was bad but now it's been 6 hours and the taste !!! That's what's making me feel sick now . I have had a bit of the diarrhea and mild head aches .... Again thought flu but tonight it all changed and I have not had an appitite all week at all . Food is actually making me feel sick but this taste is way worst . Like terrible !!!!!! Anyone else taste hair spray ?"

Hairspray in my mouth taste !! (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2016

For Mycobacterium avium-intracellulare, Treatment: "As soon as I began taking Clarithromycin, it made me very nauseous. I tried removing the bitter outer coating but still c/o nausea and bloating with gas."

kbxraymom (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2016

For Sinusitis: "First of all To the people saying biaxin should be off the market, You do realize that there are different kinds of antibiotics and what works for uou wont work for me , and vice versa. For example I am allergic to penicillin and any antibiotic related to it makes me feel awful and worse. But it works for many other people. That being said Biaxin WORKS for me. In fact It instantly worked by the next day when I woke up my nose didnt have green chunks in it anymore. Yes it gives metallic taste. Yes day 3 I have head ache behind my eyes. ( maybe the medication working on the more deeper infected area). If you get a dull headache Take an advil dont stop taking the medication... A migraine I would stop but a mild headache I think is Managable."

Edmonton Alberta Canada (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2016

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "Have tonsillitus and mouth ulcers all over both sides inside my mouth. Previously this had turned into something worse so put straight on this antibiotic as I cant use penacillin. I'm on day 3 of taking it. Hasn't helped at all so far so wouldn't say its fast acting in my case. Paracetamol works on the pain but thats the only relief I get. I have been getting night sweats but not sure if thats a side effect or just that I'm fighting an infection. UK user prescribed on NHS."

Pooch1611 (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2016

For Bronchitis: "poisonous taste in mouth can't sleep excessive sweating"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2016

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "After using this medication a rash started on my chest which spread extensively over my torso within 48 hours. There are some spots on my arms and legs but mostly concentrated on my chest and back. I have also experienced persistent head aches. I've stopped taking the medication but it must take a while to leave the body as spots keep appearing 2-3 days after. My upper respiratory tract infection has improved and my asthma eased but the rash is very uncomfortable especially on 37*C days. I won't be taking it again."

MrsDarcy (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

For Pneumonia: "diagnosed with pneumonia given 500mg for 14 days - now on day 6 and only just starting to feel better. Still getting chest pain and coughing."

Avss Blondie December 5, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I have chronic Sinisitis, for 20 years now, typically getting 2-3 sinus infections per year that reduce me to rubble for at least 10 days. I should know better at this point than to try yet another antibiotic, but nothing works anymore except Levaquin, and if I build up a resistance to that, I'm in big trouble if I ever get pneumonia. So here I am, up the third night in a row after starting the clarithromycin. I have been nauseous, gassy and utterly uncomfortable--I'm not taking another dose, calling my doctor and sticking to natural remedies. If that doesn't work, then looks like I'll be paying out of pocket for surgery since my sinus scan came back normal."

Lizru December 2, 2016

For Pertussis Prophylaxis: "So my 10 year old daughter has tested positive for whooping cough therfore the whole family needs to be treated , I have 3 daughters 10, 9, and 5 we are all taking the clarithromycin this is the 2nd day and we all feel very dizzy , nauseous, have a horrible taste in our mouths and diarrhea. I feel like we are being poisoned not treated. Is it worth all this pain and discomfort for 7 days , our other option is not to take the antibiotics and to stay isolated for 21 days ....... I don't know what to do ."

MummaBofThree (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2016

For Sinusitis: "The "cure" for my sinusitis wasn't worth the morning diarrhea (3 bouts and that would be it for the day), metallic taste in mouth all day, constant nausea/gag reflex, achiness, sleeplessness and lethargy. After taking 3.5 pills, I went down to Walgreen's and bought probiotics and Gatorade. I took the probiotic and a glass of Gatorade and was hungry (hungry!) for the first time in days. They ought to take this crap off the market. Never again. This stuff is like poison."

SoozBlooz November 30, 2016

For Bronchitis: "I will never even look at those pills again. Took in the morning, and by the evening every side effect hit me like a sledgehammer. Got a couple hours of sleep last night when I wasn't living in my bathroom and after experiencing the most disturbing dreams in my life I would rather have stayed awake. Who invented something so diabolical???"

Johnnygme November 29, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Tastes really bad First time feeling so regretful for taking a medicine."

Anonymous November 24, 2016