User Reviews for Clindamycin to treat Surgical Prophylaxis

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Clindamycin has an average rating of 3.7 out of 10 from a total of 23 ratings for the treatment of Surgical Prophylaxis. 22% of those users who reviewed Clindamycin reported a positive effect, while 61% reported a negative effect.

Clindamycin Rating Summary

3.7/10 average rating

Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Surgical Prophylaxis.

Reviews for Clindamycin

Grandma D · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2021

“Wow. I don’t know if this medication would have worked or not for my root canal. I was on it for a day and a half and had to stop because of the horrible taste in my mouth night and day, no matter what else I ate, how often I brushed, or how often I used a mouth rinse. It was HORRIBLE! Bad enough that I tossed and turned all night with the horrible taste in my mouth. So, so bad. I will never take this again.”

CC · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2020

“Prescribed after having wisdom tooth removed. Worst antibiotic imaginable. Diarrhea and stomach pains. Diarrhea took 3 weeks to subside even with use of Imodium. Will never take this medicine again.”

NeverAgain · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2020

“I blindly took this as prescribed for my wisdom tooth removal. 1000mg 3x day for 7 days to prevent post op complications. DO NOT TAKE IT! A week later it caused me to have a severe case C Diff Colitis. I didn't know about any of this but I would have taken my chance on complications (look up studies about if antibiotics even help prevent complications). I've lost so much weight, so tired, bed ridden diarrhea for two weeks now with blood and severe cramps and pain, 102.5 fever, nausea, loss of appetite. The diarrhea being impossible to keep clean has also caused a UTI from E Coli with another fever, blood/clots/tissue, severe pain. NOT WORTH IT. I feel like I was uninformed.”

Betty July 16, 2018

“So I had my wisdom teeth removed June 5th of this year and was prescribed this medication IN CASE I developed a post-op infection. As I'm 17, my immediate favorite "side effect" of this medication is that it began to improve my acne. Here's where everything begins to go south. About a week later, I began to notice urgent diarrhea. This problem persisted for several days, at least 10 times a day. I began to lose weight, insane stomach cramps, nausea, I couldn't sleep, severe dehydration. I began to have bowel movements that only consisted of blood and mucus. I was admitted to the hospital for GI scopes. The next morning my surgeon came to review the procedure. He said I was positive for C. DIFF immediately asked if I had been on Clindamycin. He then explained how powerful this antibiotic is and how it basically stripped my colon of all of my "good bacteria", allowing the C. Diff bacteria to become toxic. DO NOT TAKE THIS ANTIBIOTIC IF YOU CAN AT ALL HELP IT!”

lmrod1226 November 19, 2011

“2 pills 3x day- 5 days. Got 4 wisdom teeth removed. Day 1- 1st dose, pills were hard to swallow and a few minutes after I took the pills I got an upset stomach. 2nd dose was about the same but I got a rash on my face (cheeks). 3rd dose stomach pain got a little worse. Day 2 stomach pain got even worse with every dose. Day 3 morning dose was unbearably painful in my esophagus/stomach. Called my doctor and he told me to stop taking pills. I figured stomach/esophagus pain would go away since I'm not taking pills but its been 6 days since I stopped taking pills and I still have pain. A lot of pain when I eat and burp. Pain feels like a tightening and burning in my chest every time I swallow. ”

I'm a senior October 6, 2015

“I'm just 2 capsules (150 mg) into a week's prescription. I'm having dental implants and this is to prevent bone infection. Based on the stories here, it's powerful enough to prevent even worse problems! No side effects so far. Scary to read about these issues, so thanks to all for the heads-up! I eat yogurt every day for breakfast anyway but will now up my intake to 3 times a day...yogurt for dessert after every meal! Will keep you posted if anything changes. One week later: The meds are finished and I had no problems! No diarrhea, no nausea, no infection. I was lucky! But I took each pill with a full glass of water, never lay down right after taking it, and I ate plain yogurt 3 times a day, every day, to keep my intestines happy. Good luck”

Anonymous February 13, 2011

“I was prescribed Clindamycin by my oral surgeon as a prophylactic antibiotic before having my wisdom teeth extracted. Neither the doctor, pharmacist, nor the drug fact sheet indicated that it could cause severe heartburn or chest pains. Within a day of taking Clindamycin, I had developed clenching chest / esophageal pain and heartburn. My doctor extended my Clindamycin script to fight these symptoms. I went to the E.R. this morning for fear that my artificial pulmonary valve was infected. I was told to take Maalox. After stopping my Clindamycin dosage (I have already finished all that were initially prescribed), my fever has broken, rash went away, and I feel drastically better.”

Joey P November 10, 2015

“Ask Pharmacist if this antibiotic was strong or had any side effects. He said that is was not considered a strong antibiotic with any serious side effects. I rarely take antibiotics, avoiding them like the plague just because of bad side effects, but when I have to take them I always increase my daily intake of probiotics and yogurt. None of that helped with this miserable drug. I was fine taking this drug the first 3 days, but then on day four I took a pill with Kefir (like yogurt) and had the most severe chest pain I ever had which lasted for over two hours. Skipped next two doses for the day. Tried one the next morning- had some discomfort. Next dose, more chest pain as if having a heart attack and still have terrible discomfort.”

ChristopherKay · Taken for less than 1 month January 28, 2017

“Consider another drug. Clindamycin has ruined my gut. I have had diarrhea for over a month (tested for c. diff: negative). The only thing I can eat is peeled white boiled potatoes. Everything else goes through me in just a few hours. I've lost a lot of weight and I'm permanently tired. My doctor has run all manner of tests and I am just not recovering. I was a healthy 70kg 31 year old male. Now 62kg one month later. I can't remember being so ill.”

MJ · Taken for less than 1 month October 28, 2019

“I received an IV dose of Cleocin brand Clindamycin before a surgery to remove my gallbladder. About a week later, I experienced severe stomach cramping and horrible diarrhea. I waited another week to see if it was just part of the gallbladder removal recovery. Days later I was in the hospital, I couldn't eat, drink, or even think about food without constant trips to the bathroom. I tested positive for C Diff and after research learned that studies have shown that this antibiotic comes with an increased rate of C Diff contraction. If you've had any history digestive issues, I would consider asking your doctor to use a different antibiotic!”

kcooper81 March 28, 2010

“I started this medicine almost a week ago, before oral surgery) and I must say that biggest side effect I experienced was feeling sick to the stomach and loss of appetite. I have learned that you must take this with a glass of water and don't lay down right after.”

MermaidBum · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2015

“I had three wisdom teeth (Third Molars) removed on Monday. I took two Clindamycin (150mg) before the surgery without anything in my stomach and was fine. I was instructed to take 4 a day and therefore took one pill every six hours (This is important) One night I fell asleep before taking it and I noticed I had mild heartburn but once I made sure I did not miss a dose this did not return. REMEMBER to sit up straight for at least 20 minutes to prevent heartburn, this medication is concentrated and you don't want it laying in your stomach. I was warned about diarrhea, and increased my intake of PLAIN GREEK YOGURT and KEFIR. My poo was mucusy, but no diarrhea. Taking precautions and reading instructions will make this medication effective.”

Barley79 · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2015

“The swab taken from my wound revealed NO serious bacteria, however, drug selected by consultant. I managed 8 of the 300mgs capsules which were prescribed 4 daily. What a hellish experience. Severe diarrhoea began following stopping drug after only 8 capsules. it continues. Severe fatigue, oral thrush and feeling 100% worse than having abscess treated in OR and wound packed, etc. I will never touch this poison again no,matter what is wrong with me!”

Labritta October 2, 2016

“Did fine for 10 days on this drug for abscessed tooth. Dentist pulled the tooth & then began the most horrible diarrhea! Dr prescribed Flagyll-but I'm still having issues after weeks! I will never take Clindamycin again! I'm using charcoal & oil of oregano, liquid probiotics & got prayed for at church! I've lost ten lbs and have gone from normal stools all my life to a mess!”

Anonymous February 8, 2010

“Clindamycin is a good drug for oral bacteria and since I had a allergy to penicillin, I was prescribed this x 5 days after my oral surgery. First dose caused terrible heartburn and nausea. I was very nervous about vomiting after mouth surgery. The next dose I took with a big glass of water, yogurt and applesauce and sat up for 30 minutes--no problems after that. Except for watery diarrhea which started day after stopping. Keeping well hydrated and taking my probiotics should help.”

Anna_m July 29, 2017

“Prescribed 300 mg every six hours after having 3 wisdom teeth extracted. No issues other than increased vaginal discharge. I definitely don't take it with enough water and usually don't have a meal with it but I have zero complaints about side effects. I'm not sure if it's doing what it's supposed to be but it's day 6 and I don't think I have any signs of infection.”

Sxa4 · Taken for less than 1 month April 19, 2017

“I was prescribed this medication for after having all my wisdom teeth removed to prevent infection. I took 1 capsule 3 time a day. For the first few days it was fine, I found if you don't take it with a lot of water it burned all the way down and it made me feel funny with a metallic taste in my mouth. Around day 3 I started having cramps in my stomach, back, and right under my ribcage so painful they would keep me up at night and wake me up out of a dead sleep. I was warned that it could cause stomach problems so I didn't think much of it, but it's been a week since I stopped taking them and I'm getting these awful cramps still. Off to the doctor tomorrow for me. (I took probiotics the entire time I was on it and lived off yogurt too)”

noclight · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2016

“I was prescribed 300mg Clindamyin 4x daily for 5 days after getting all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed. Took my last dose before going to sleep at midnight last night. The past five days I was doing ok. My Percocet messed me up one day, so I stopped taking that. But today started out fine, until about 11pm when I went to the bathroom. I was in and out of there every 10 minutes or so. Not the usual liquid runs, this was thicker. Maybe everything that had built up from the constipation caused by the Percocet? This went on for a good hour before I downed two probiotic and ran to the store for anti-diarrhea. Now I've got glossy eyes and pink cheeks on an otherwise pale face. Not entirely certain is Clindamycin is to blame, but it's a suspect.”

Jmzjjunge · Taken for less than 1 month September 2, 2015

“Had an extraction, then a severe infection. This antibiotic killed the infection. The only side affect for me was, yeast infection. I already take prilosec for heartburn so I didn't notice this side affect. I took 300mg three times a day for one week. Now if only I can figure out why I have severe headaches after my tooth pulled. Since I never had headaches in the past!”

TEMP · Taken for less than 1 month July 17, 2019

“They gave this to me post op after a tooth extraction. 300mg. It’s too strong. I’ve been vomiting nonstop for two days and I can’t even keep water down. I’m about to call the hospital”

Rosesann · Taken for less than 1 month July 1, 2014

“Within a few days after minor knee surgery I have had serious loose stools several times a day for four months.”

NJshsna January 1, 2017

“It was horrible to take. It made me dizzy, weak, nauseous, and have bad lower back pain. And I was only on a 150mg dose”

Christie r Wollis February 7, 2013