User Reviews for Clindamycin to treat Sinusitis

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Clindamycin has an average rating of 6.6 out of 10 from a total of 26 ratings for the treatment of Sinusitis. 58% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 31% reported a negative effect.

Clindamycin Rating Summary

6.6/10 average rating

Compare all 173 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Clindamycin

Anonymous April 8, 2012

“I have had trouble with a sinus infection, literally, for years. Repeated use of Augmentin did nothing to help. Finally, my doc sent me to an ENT. He said the infection was "stuck" behind/in scar tissue that I have from sinus surgery 20 years ago. So, he prescribed Clindamycin. I have been taking it for 9 days now. I finish it tomorrow. For the first time in years, I can breathe through my nose, I can smell, I can taste. The body aches that I have had for too long to remember when they started, are gone. It took several days, but I feel so much better. And, I didn't have a single side effect. This medicine has been GREAT for me. If I ever need an antibiotic again, I will definitely ask for this one.”

Took for chronic sinus infection · Taken for less than 1 month April 28, 2013

“I've had this ongoing sinus infection for 2 months (or more) and been given 2 different prescriptions that didn't work. It felt like my head would explode. I took this and my pain started to subside after 24 hours and after 48 hours I felt like a normal human being again for the first time in a long time. I can't believe how great this worked. Took the entire dose, 4 times a day for 9 days. No side effects either. I guess some people get heartburn, but I didn't. ”

raiders25 January 23, 2014

“I get terrible sinus infections at least once a year. The doctor use to give me amoxicillin and it got to a point were it did no good at all, I went to another doctor and she gave clindamycin and it worked like magic in 2 days I felt so much better.”

zohair · Taken for less than 1 month July 15, 2014

“For my sinus infection they originally gave me penicillin which landed me in the ER. Apparently the ER doctor said penicillin wasn't strong enough to combat it. So she prescribed me this clindamycin but told me that I will feel relief in 48 hours. Now being bedridden for 5 days on penicillin I was excited and 2 days later I can finally breath through my nose. Didn't have to worry about dry mouths since I had to breath through my mouth even when I TRIED sleeping.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 7, 2018

“Lots of sinus issues....2 sinus surgeries, allergy shots, whole nine yards. This antibiotic WORKS for me. I felt better after my first dose and continued feeling better and better as I continued with the medicine. Other antibiotics don't work this fast or as well. Thanks”

Anonymous March 14, 2012

“I have been taking this for a little over a week and I got results in about 48 hours. My only concern was the horrific heartburn its giving me. I was originally told that I could not take with milk, but have since got other medical opinions to the contrarey. Every pharmacist told me that this drug is VERY potent so it was just a side effect, and nothing more serious. I too like many others found out the hard way that laying down after taking this is a big no-no. Take with food, have plenty to drink and it gets better. Also it's a good idea to have a source of probiotic (yogurt, or pill form) as this medicine destroys some of the good bacteria in your stomach which causes the pooping problems! Lots of instructions, but it works.”

LFG June 27, 2017

“I don't usually post reviews but thought I would share my basically good experience. Taking 300mg every 6 hrs for maxillary tooth (molar) and sinus pain - doctor and dentist were not sure if sinus infection or periapical (an acute or chronic inflammatory lesion around the apex of a tooth root which is caused by bacterial invasion of the pulp of the tooth) abscess. (Clogged sinus, pain in face and upper jaw, fatigue, squinty eyes, foul tasting drainage) In two days pain was virtually gone. Very few side effects - BUT - be absolutely sure to drink lots of water (at least 8oz) and don't lie down for 15 minutes. Now on Day 7 or 8. My stomach is a little bloated more than usual, but bearable. Fairly normal bowel movements once a day. I should also mention: 1) Wake up with bitter taste in mouth - but it goes a way - not a lingering taste. 2) Pharmacist warned of sun sensitivity - I have not experienced that yet, but being cautious. Now started taking Sacchromyces boulardi 5-10 billion units - recommended as a probiotic for Clindamycin in particular against C Diff.”

funtzman March 27, 2017

“I will concur with everyone on here that is recommending the water, no lying down within 30 minutes after taking your current dose (try not to take it right before bed) and taking probiotics to help stave off GI issues. These three actions are they holy trinity with taking this stuff - I cannot stress that enough. My first night taking it I forgot about the aux warning of "do not lie down within 10 minutes of taking this drug" (I recommend 30 min) - extreme heartburn ensued. Lots of water and yes, do eat; you will have a better experience. Note: "a lot of water" = at least a cup or two of water (8-16 ounces).”

Joey57 April 11, 2015

“Had sinus surgery last tuesday and was prescribed Amox. My surgeons office called me at home that night , I believe to change my medication to Clindamycin because some matter that was removed from sinus tested positive for MRSA Wonderful!!! Anyhow, my medical team gave me a prescription for Clindamycin taken 3x daily 300mg On the recommendation of a Scientist friend of mine and the medical staff, I bought softgel Probiotic which I take a half hour before my first Clindamycin in the morning. Only one Probiotic is needed per day. I have had no side effects of the Clindamycin at all so far on my fifth day of use!!!! Taking the Softgel Probiotic is highly recommended. Hopefully the Clindamycin works as well as the Probiotic”

KLlewl July 14, 2016

“It was a little scary to take, after reading these reviews, but I used the recommended high potency softgel probiotics daily and was sure to take dosages on time, with plenty of water and a little food. No stomach upset, no heartburn, no side effects at all, really. I will continue to use the probiotics after my final dosage today, to ensure that things normalize post-treatment. I used a 7-day treatment after not responding to a 7-day treatment of amoxicillin. This seems to have done the trick.”

Bergie · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2020

“After many months of trying other antibiotic for sinus infection and chronic cough my doctor prescribed Clindamycin. It worked after just a few days with just a bit of heart burn. As stated in many posts...take this with a lot of water and eat...especially yogurt prior to it. I am on my second round of 14 days as a preventative until I have surgery. It could be a while so I’m hoping I will not get the issues that many of you have had... All in all...it’s good stuff.”

Ibeles · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2017

“I was given this for a severe sinus infection and double ear infections, received my first dose at the urgent care this was yesterday, I took my dose last night and laid down to no avail could I sleep it was so weird like I was full of energy. I did get a metallic taste in my mouth but that is all. I'm still sneezing a lot and ears still hurt but will see how I am in day 3. So far it's been good I am also allergic to everything under the sun so this is the only antibiotic I can take..”

NoName · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2019

“After the first dose I went to sleep only to wake up with severe diarrhea and cramping, so much that I could not make it to the bathroom. Immediately stopped the medication but was unable to get my gut back to normal. Severe dehydration and diarrhea for 2 months despite trying different probiotics and home remedies. Negative test for c diff., Many trips to specialists with no answers. I was finally diagnosed with celiac and feel much better now that I'm following a strict diet. I am allergic to penicillin and this medicine is often used as an alternative. Don't use! Ask the doctor to find an alternative medicine.”

littlesilverlining113 November 29, 2017

“Wow, this is a POWERFUL drug. I was prescribed clindamycin 300 mg for severe sinus infection. Amoxicillin did not work. After two doses I had the worst stomach pain and nausea I have ever had. I also had a throbbing headache. However I could feel it working in my sinuses already. So I tried to stick it out. After another day I was so profusely ill I couldn't get out of bed. Had the shakes, vomiting, horrific heartburn and headache. For the record I took the pills with Gravol and water, took probiotics and stayed upright after taking. This was not a good experience. Very frustrating because I believe the drug does work but the side effects make it impossible to take.”

Stubbornsinus · Taken for less than 1 month November 18, 2017

“I was prescribed this for sinus pressure, eustachian tube problems, and tooth/sinus pain. I'm allergic to penicillin, cipro, and sulfa. Antibiotics are a gamble these days. It appeared to relieve some of the symptoms, but I got a bad rash/hives on day 9 of a 10 day course. My chest and face looked like a velociraptor. I finished it and the hives lasted about a week. I still have the infection (CT confirmed) and am trying doxycycline. I also am on prednisone to reduce swelling and to deal with the hives.”

Anonymous October 6, 2009

“I was given this medication for a sinus infection and was on it for 10 days at which time I was admitted to the hospital for a severe reaction. Hospital staff, ENT doctor, and nurses had never seen anything like it. I have a major burn rash ALL over my body that included very large "clear liquid" pockets. It has been two weeks and I still have the rash, but it has started fading.”

Anonymous January 28, 2019

“I have been taking clindamycin four days now and it hasn't done anything but give me the runs every day - and I'm taking it with probiotic daily. It hasn't helped the sinus infection at all. This is my 2nd round of antibiotics.”

RochelleBelle · Taken for less than 1 month March 20, 2017

“Started taking clindamycin for a sinus infection. On day one, I took one pill at breakfast and one at lunch. When I took one pill at dinner, I was having difficulty swallowing. It felt like there was something stuck in my throat. Also in my sternum area I felt a tightening. I didn't know what was happening. The next morning I looked up the side effects and difficulty swallowing and tightness in the chest are listed. I switched to a different antibiotic and will avoid this one as it obviously affects me.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2017

“I was given this for a severe sinus infection, I have taken the full prescription as noted and am still suffering ailments of the sinusitis, each time the med is taken I cough uncontrollably, have the nastiest metallic taste in my mouth along with nausea and an enormous amount of heartburn,feverish feeling almost like I am sunburned I took 2 150mg 4x a day for 10 days. Will try to avoid this one next time.”

Lord_Helmet · Taken for less than 1 month June 12, 2021

“Developed acute sinus infection couple days after wisdom teeth extraction. Was switched to this antibiotic. Messed up stomach within a day, felt like a punch to the gut. By day 4 (today) broke out in hives all over and had a severe reaction. Currently sitting at the ER to get checked out. Can’t recommend. The infection feels better but its still there. Switching to a different med.”

rashaaaaaaaaaa February 29, 2008

Cleocin (clindamycin): “the only drug that works with me in my chronic sinusitis”

jrichards06 March 16, 2008

Cleocin (clindamycin): “When I get a sinus infection my Dr. prescribes this. IT works awesome. No nausea, No diarrhea, no yucky taste in my mouth. It is the only anti-biotic that I don't mind taking at all.”

works.... February 10, 2010

“I had a infection from my tooth and it made two big knots in my face and it was leading to my sinusitis I had all kinds of medicines prescribed and nothing worked until I got the clindamycin.”

jobock February 22, 2010

Cleocin (clindamycin): “It is the only drug that works for me. I am allergic to many antibiotics but have had no problem with this one.”

small one March 9, 2009

“On this medicine my infection (sinus) got worse before it got better, but it did do the job.”

Learn more about Sinusitis