User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Learn more about Clindamycin.

Clindamycin Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Skin or Soft Tissue Infection.

Reviews for Clindamycin to treat Skin or Soft Tissue Infection

"Had a deep gum abscess, not tooth, but gum, from a piece of popcorn. Dr. Rx was 300mg 3x a day, for 10 days. No problems.. You HAVE to drink tons of water when taking the pill and all day long. Why? To flush out the toxins. When STRONG antibiotics work, they KILL the good and bad bacteria. That die off is called a "Herxheimer" reaction. Thus, the headaches, eye aches, etc. So, up your intake of WATER to help. Then, take probiotics, kefir and yogurt because the GOOD bacteria are killed off in your gut, hence severe diarhhea. C Diff is a dirty hospital issue, it's their big secret, but probiotics will reestablish the GOOD bacteria, very quickly. Hang in there, it is the best medicine ever...."

Dallas Alice August 20, 2016

"Severe heartburn from day 1. Never had heartburn before. Toughed it out, ate a lot of Tums which slightly helped. My skin incision finally dried up and scabbed over though so it worked."

For stitch abcess August 14, 2016

"I cut my finger working on my car, It was a very dirty wound that required stitches and I was given Clindamycin in order to prevent infection. I do not remember any specific warning about the increased chance of any type of intestinal problems associated with this antibiotic. The Clindamycin caused me to get a C Diff infection that sent me to the ER. Very painful and passing mucus and blood in the stool. I have never experienced anything like this before. I will never take this drug again and suggest doing research before taking this or any other antibiotic. The problems seem to be clearing up after a course of Flagyl and Cipro. More antibiotics to fix the others side effects. Good luck to anyone suffering from this."

Clinda and C diff August 11, 2016

"Used as I am allergic to penicillin - appeared to be a good alternative as I had cellulitis and penicillin is supposed to be the most effective antibiotic. Did have a 11 day hospital stay though."

Lyn2306 (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2016

"My doctor recommended the gel for me because I had severe acne. A couple of weeks in I started to have a sensation as if something was stuck in my throat. I brushed it off and it went away for a while but then it came back and worse but this time with an excessive supply of mucus. I was so confused until I realized that it was my medication. Not only did I have throat problems but I also had mild diarrhea, sharp pains in my stomach and chest, and heartburn, which has never happened to me before. I didn't even help my acne for that long. I stopped using it and my health went back to normal. I am never going to even touch this again."

Clinicuser (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 21, 2016

"I'm on an iv of clindamycin as I type this. I've had merca now 3 times from Wrestling and Cage fighting. I give this drug a 10 with no really noticeable side effects. Kills the Merca like no other!"

Coach Scott , Wrestling May 30, 2016

"I took this for a tooth ache three days later my ankle locked up I can't walk. Former pro athlete and physical elitist I don't understand what happened I stopped taking meds 5 /28 - We will see"

Patrickggg May 29, 2016

"Chest pian was terrible and keep vomiting Terrible anti biotic. Hate it"

Kidyyyy boy May 16, 2016

"I was prescribed 300mg of clindamycin 4xs a day for 7 days. I am 1/2 through the course. I read many of the unfavorable reviews as well as the information from the pharmacy. I was terrified. My Doctor did tell me to take the medication with a probiotic. After doing some research on which probiotic to take I went back to the pharmacy to pick up those pills as well. As others have stated you MUST take this med with plenty of water. After the first 4 pills I did have a slight headache and noticed my eyes seemed red and slightly irritated. I pushed the next dose out by 2 hours and increased my water intake. I haven't had any more issues (so far). I will update after I complete the full dosage. *I would recommend taking the probiotic."

CMiLLO (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2016

"I was prescribed 300 mg 3 times per day for 7 days. This was the fourth antibiotic I was placed on in two weeks because nothing else was working. It did its job well. The only noticeable side effect was a slight headache on and off. I heeded the warnings on here though. I drank 16 ounces of water each time I took a pill and always at meal time. I did not lay down for at least an hour afterward. I ate one yogurt in the morning and took a probiotic in the evening. Also, I had suspected a sinus infection that had never cleared up for over a year. This medication proved me right because I feel better than ever."

Worked Well December 21, 2015

"EXTREME HEARTBURN is what I experienced when taking Clindamycin. I was diagnosed with cellulitis on my foot and the Augmentin I was given at Urgent Care wasn't helping. The wound care clinic at my local hospital bumped me up to the stronger Clin. Warning label said don't lie down for ten mins after taking. Found out the hard way it's because if you do, the HEARTBURN is unlike any previous heartburn pain I'd had before! It was at least three times WORSE!!! I tend to have heartburn a lot almost daily and this medicine was so painful to finish!!!!"

ChemKneazle (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2015

"I had a serious Cellulitis infection in my leg this year (Summer of 2015) and since I am allergic to Penicillin, I asked the doctor for Clindamycin. It worked well! I didn't have any side effects that I could notice. I am still on the watch for any tummy trouble though, since I read the FDA warning about C-diff and this drug. Hopefully I won't get that. But as for the Cellulitis, the Clindamycin completely resolved it, I am so happy to say. I tolerated the drug well. I drank lots of water while on it and when taking it. That's very important. So happy that this antibiotic worked so well. The prescription was for 300mg/pill 4 times per day."

Kat2015 September 19, 2015

"Took this medication intravenously in the hospital with no problem. Now I am taking it in pill form at 150mg a pop for 1 week and 2 days. Just washed my face as always in the am an noticed all these red bumps on my face, neck and upper arms. Just trying to find out if this is from the medication? Haven't eaten anything different or used anything different. At a complete loss..."

Sam2001 September 6, 2015

"Have been taking this for 4 days now 3 x 150mg capsules four times a day for a piercing infection along with using hydrocortisone cream. Taking this due to developing an immunity to Flucloxacillin. Symptoms including weeping of area and swelling resulting in severe discomfort. These began to clear up within 24 hours of taking drug and has now all but vanished. Suffering minor side effects, mainly a constant metallic taste in my mouth. Was warned of possible bowel problems but have yet to experience this. Hopefully that carries on for next 3 days."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2015

"I took this last year for a severe bacterial infection on my chin last year. It certainly did it's job with clearing up the infection. HOWEVER, I will NEVER be taking this medication again if something similar happens in the future. The side effects I experienced were absolutely excruciating! I had heartburn that made me feel like I was going to die- a sharp pain that felt like a lump in my chest that was stabbing me from the inside. My family thought that I was just being dramatic, but after reading some reviews on here, I know a lot of people have had similar experiences. I took the drug 4x a day, and ended up gaining weight on it, because the only thing that helped dull the pain was eating a TON of food with it."

Rose Alee August 4, 2015

"Took this for 10 days after dental surgery. A week or so later I developed pretty much non-stop diarrhea which was then diagnosed as Clostridium Difficlle, aka CD, Took drugs for 7 months (Flagyl) until it finally went away with Vancomycin. Stay away from Clindamycin !"

Anon123897 May 30, 2015

"I took this recently for one week because i had cellulitis my upperlip and right cheek due to a pimple that was popped by my doctor. I would recommend this especially to those who are allergic to penicillin. I took ceftriaxone before this for two weeks and in the middle of my medication i broke into hives. So to everyone, when the doctor says "theres only a 3% chance of penicillin allergy" just say NO. The side effects with clindamycin for me was loose stool and joint pains. Good thing i found this forum so im still taking my probiotic pills and also activia. So far my bowel movement is not a problem and my stool is getting better."

eveangel March 2, 2015

"I have more of a concern/question than an experience to share. I have been taking Clindamycin 450 mgs 4 times daily....and started feeling a bit strange but nothing acutely abnormal just have felt off, so I came to read up on it & get other users reviews. Let's just say that had I known what could possibly happen weeks/months after stopping this drug, I wouldn't have taken it however now that I'm in half way through the prescription I've taken notice that in complete contradiction to the norm, I've had absolutely ZERO bowel movements in the last 6 days since starting this med & I'm getting concerned. Considering the norm reaction to this med is loose stools and/or diarrhea, I'm just concerned that it's doing something to my GI tract."

MarkyBy (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2015

"I have taken this twice in the past for dental and skin infection, and am currently on it again, all for dental issues. I developed C. diff after both previous cycles of taking this medicine, with the most recent being near-fatal. That said, it's the best medicine for treating broad-spectrum serious infections, so it did work on the initial infection well each time. I have also developed a mild blistery rash on my chest and upper arms while taking this in the past, but it cleared up when finishing the meds. My only major warning: if you develop C diff. symptoms in the weeks or months following this medication (several watery/loose stools per day, weakness, stomach pain, vomiting, nausea), insist your doctor test a stool sample to culture for C. Diff."

Infecty McFectison (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2014

"I am allergic to many antibiotics including amoxicillin, and this is after taking it many times before and suddenly developing a reaction. I was given Clindamycin(doc said it is one of the milder antibiotics) for 5 foot/ankle/calf surgeries. Months of my surgeries. Aug., Sept., Dec. 2013 and Aug. 7 2014 (last night). The doctor didn't want me to develop an infection which is why he prescribes it. It is now the ONLY medication that works for me. PLUS, I have a medium size hiatal hernia, GERD and bad acid reflux and esophagitis. The previous 4 surgeries I had to take the capsules 3 x a day for 10 days and this last surgery 3xday for 3 days. THE KEY TO TAKING CLINDAMYCIN IS TO DRINK ALOT OF WATER AFTER SWALLOWING IT. I never had one problem"

Julia S. August 8, 2014

"This has worked great on my MRSA but the side effects have been HORRIBLE. I have felt like I've had the flu but worse, fever, nauseous, but the worst has been the itching! I'm not breaking out in hives but it's a deep internal itch that I can't stop! Benadryl helps but makes me sleepy! I'm not sure if it's an allergic reaction but in all the reviews I have read, no one mentions this."

litlprincess (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2014

"Medicine worked for my soft-tissue skin infection. However, it caused tremendous heartburn that generally lasted a couple of hours. Tums helped that side-effect. Did better when I took the medicine with food, even though the label said to take with an empty stomach."

Anonymous May 1, 2014

"This medicine did get rid of my skin infection (MRSA) however, it gave me a slew of other problems. I had awful headaches, pain in my intestines, a change in my bowel habits/change in stool, and now, about a week off of the medication, I still have pain in my intestines and now I have a vaginal yeast infection. I have been taking acidophilus tablets since I stopped clindamycin. "

eranno (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2014

"I was prescribed 10 days of oral capsules of this medication after other medicines did nothing for a moderate skin abscess. Clindamycin is a strong antibiotic, and diarrhea is often a side effect. To help prevent this from happening, I took Acidophilus capsules. Yogurt does not provide enough Acidophilus--you really need the capsules. I took Clindamycin every 6 hours, so in between (that is, 3 hours after the antibiotic) I would take an Acidophlius capsule. I didn't bother getting up in the night to do this. I believe the Acidophilus prevented my getting diarrhea while the antibiotic cured the infection. You can get Acidophilus in health food stores in the refrigerator case."

JayEll48 December 11, 2013

"Took clindamycin, two 150 mg every 6 hrs for 7 days. I was hesitant to take this because I've had C. diff before from taking Cipro several months ago. I had cellulitis from bee stings and I had no side effects from taking clindamycin...except to make sure to have food in your tummy when taking this because it does give heartburn if your tummy is empty. Other than that, I am thankful that I had no side effects from this. I'm sorry to hear those who are extremely sensitive to this strong antibiotic but it has surely helped cute my cellulitis."

mj671 October 15, 2013