User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Learn more about Clindamycin.

Clindamycin Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 173 medications used in the treatment of Skin or Soft Tissue Infection.

Reviews for Clindamycin to treat Skin or Soft Tissue Infection

"Prescribed Clindamycin for stubborn, skin infection. I have a great (medical) doctor, whose base is a teaching hospital. I asked my doctor if Clindamycin had side-effects. She said some develop digestive irritation, and started me on yogurt, 3 times daily, for 5 days BEFORE medication start, then twice daily while taking the antibiotic. Following this advice, plus PLENTY OF WATER (like at least one "Big Gulp" size ingested with pills), I had no side effects--and I've suffered excruciating, (antibiotic) side-effects mirroring leg amputation sans morphine, while giving birth. Yes--THAT bad! The day I skipped my regimen, I had mild diarrhea and heartburn only. This discomfort had me back on yogurt and water, and zero side-effects."

Mike H. (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This has honestly been one of the worst experiences with medicine I've ever had. Dr. prescribed me 300mg of this medicine, three times a day. First, no issues. I took my second pill with some yogurt and bread since it was later into the night. I sat up for about 20 minutes as the bottle says not to lay down for at least 10 minutes after taking. I woke up about 45 min with the worst pain in my chest and back, sharp burning pain, excruciating heartburn pain and constant large painful burps. I seriously thought I was dying and almost went to ER. After two pills, and I stopped. it's been 2 days and now it hurts to swallow down in my esophagus like there is a chemical burn. Feel like I have the flu all over. NEVER AGAIN"

pinkvintagelove August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Due to cellulitis on my ankle, I was given clindamycin, and as the pharmacist suggested, I immediately began taking high dosage of probiotics. In spite of the precaution, I developed a full body rash and 3 bouts of c difficile. The cellulitis, was therefore treated with yet another antibiotic. The cellulitis finally healed completely after 2 months, and the c difficile was eventually cleared, and after 6 months the labs results came back negative (meaning I no longer had it). I continue to take probiotics, but a lower dosage, for sheer fright of the CD recurring. I was told that continual bouts of CD would likely eventually require surgical intervention. A VERY frightening experience."

linmariden August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I would love to give it a 10 because it it pretty great. It is really helping me with my cellulitis at the moment. The reason why I gave it a 9/10 is due to the mood swings that I am having. I checked through the side effects and didn't see mood swings. I have been feeling from happy to mad to sad. Also the bloating is pretty bad, but bloating was stated in the side effects. Overall, this gets the job done quickly, just has its effects."

Meeeeeeeee1258 July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this antibiotic clindamycin going on 3 days for cellulitis and has not noticed a change yet. I'm still in excruciating pain, the swelling has not gone down. I'm ready to go back to the Dr for something more effective."

Nickl nockle May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Completed treatment for my severe gum infection and infection still raging"

Belli April 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on IV for 4 days and then switched to oral 4x a day. When I started taking it orally I got bad heartburn, felt like something was stuck in my throats and sometimes it hurt in my chest. I questioned the pharmacist and she told me to take an anti acid 1/2 hour before my dose (one was good for 2 doses) and drink lots of water. I did this and had no more problems."

Momof12 April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Taking this for 2nd time for serious dental infection. I have a lot of titanium in my spine and have had one infection that was treated with 7 weeks of IV antibiotics. (This was done at home for last 5-6 weeks; pic line inserted, self-administered with patient friendly large syringes. Ten years earlier I would have had to be in nursing home for treatment, so consider myself lucky.) But dental infections can travel and I don't want a repeat. PenVK-2,000 mg/day didn't help. Now 300 mg clindamycin HCL every 8 hrs. is working well-and fast. I always take probiotics-30 billion-10 strains. Most important is saccharomyces boulardi, which is a yeast probiotic and can cure dysentery and prevent c diff."

teakhai April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cleocin (clindamycin): "vomiting, mild skin rash, nausea, fever"

Al Mamun Ullash (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cleocin HCl (clindamycin): "I had cellulititis and the swelling in my foot went down significantly in about two days."

don't have a nickname (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi , I got Clindamycin 300mg 3 times a day. I have swollen skin infection on my cheek. I have read the reviews here before I took the capsule. I was too scared to take it, but due to my infection, I must go through with it. I am on my fourth capsule. I took some of reviewers advice, in which I drank a glass of water before my meal- eat half of my meal- then took the capsule- with glass of water then finishes my meal. Drink another glass of water after. Not to lay down for an hour. Better a little bit more time cause it takes time to digest it. Then about two hours later I ate yoghurt- activia probiotic. I take my capsule in the morning, noon, and evening around 6-7 p.m. Then I have plenty of time to rest over night."

Pinkone1 January 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have an abscess on my jaw and I've been on clindamycin for 3 days(450 mg 3x per day) the abscess was originally about 2"x2" and just under my skin. I have been using hot packs as well as following my prescribed dose of clindamycin and in 3 days time most of the swelling has gone down and the abscess is bout half of the size of originally was. I'm only giving it an 8 because I haven't finished the 7 day script yet but I'm hoping things will continue to heal up and go down and will be mostly or all the way gone but so far it seems the clindamycin is working well for me."

Melissaleigh316 January 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am allergic to many antibiotics and have taken clyndamycin for abcess in my gums do to tooth infection. It seemed like it was working then seemed like it was getting worse. the antibiotic was working but it takes about 7 to ten days for a full recovery. If you can stand side affects it is worth it. but must be taken with food do to stomach discomfort and dizziness for me."

katiedid1234 November 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Stomach cramps, diarrhea and bad breath. A real walking sewer."

Lux1482 (taken for less than 1 month) October 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given this drug for a pilonidal cyst. I was nauseous the first day. Diarrhea started 3 days in and got so bad I had to stop. Have been off it for 2 days and still have diarrhea and feel wiped out. I won't be taking it again. Lost 4 pounds in 3 days. Still taking pro-biotics hoping this subsides soon."

MarkNth (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well so far Ive been taking this drug for 5 days. first day. upset stomach and threw up in the middle of the night and fell rumbling in my stomach. However I had staph infection maybe on my face. A few pimples which ive never had acne problems. What made me notice them is they were all painful to the touch. I mean very painful. So the doctor said Staph infection. Take 10 days. 300 mg 4 times a day. So far no issues. 5 more days to go and I will finish as instructed. I'm taking about every 6 hours. give or take a few mins into it. So far no issues. and I hope none either."

retchie September 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had a deep gum abscess, not tooth, but gum, from a piece of popcorn. Dr. Rx was 300mg 3x a day, for 10 days. No problems.. You HAVE to drink tons of water when taking the pill and all day long. Why? To flush out the toxins. When STRONG antibiotics work, they KILL the good and bad bacteria. That die off is called a "Herxheimer" reaction. Thus, the headaches, eye aches, etc. So, up your intake of WATER to help. Then, take probiotics, kefir and yogurt because the GOOD bacteria are killed off in your gut, hence severe diarhhea. C Diff is a dirty hospital issue, it's their big secret, but probiotics will reestablish the GOOD bacteria, very quickly. Hang in there, it is the best medicine ever...."

Dallas Alice August 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Severe heartburn from day 1. Never had heartburn before. Toughed it out, ate a lot of Tums which slightly helped. My skin incision finally dried up and scabbed over though so it worked."

For stitch abcess August 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I cut my finger working on my car, It was a very dirty wound that required stitches and I was given Clindamycin in order to prevent infection. I do not remember any specific warning about the increased chance of any type of intestinal problems associated with this antibiotic. The Clindamycin caused me to get a C Diff infection that sent me to the ER. Very painful and passing mucus and blood in the stool. I have never experienced anything like this before. I will never take this drug again and suggest doing research before taking this or any other antibiotic. The problems seem to be clearing up after a course of Flagyl and Cipro. More antibiotics to fix the others side effects. Good luck to anyone suffering from this."

Clinda and C diff August 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Used as I am allergic to penicillin - appeared to be a good alternative as I had cellulitis and penicillin is supposed to be the most effective antibiotic. Did have a 11 day hospital stay though."

Lyn2306 (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor recommended the gel for me because I had severe acne. A couple of weeks in I started to have a sensation as if something was stuck in my throat. I brushed it off and it went away for a while but then it came back and worse but this time with an excessive supply of mucus. I was so confused until I realized that it was my medication. Not only did I have throat problems but I also had mild diarrhea, sharp pains in my stomach and chest, and heartburn, which has never happened to me before. I didn't even help my acne for that long. I stopped using it and my health went back to normal. I am never going to even touch this again."

Clinicuser (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on an iv of clindamycin as I type this. I've had merca now 3 times from Wrestling and Cage fighting. I give this drug a 10 with no really noticeable side effects. Kills the Merca like no other!"

Coach Scott , Wrestling May 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this for a tooth ache three days later my ankle locked up I can't walk. Former pro athlete and physical elitist I don't understand what happened I stopped taking meds 5 /28 - We will see"

Patrickggg May 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Chest pian was terrible and keep vomiting Terrible anti biotic. Hate it"

Kidyyyy boy May 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed 300mg of clindamycin 4xs a day for 7 days. I am 1/2 through the course. I read many of the unfavorable reviews as well as the information from the pharmacy. I was terrified. My Doctor did tell me to take the medication with a probiotic. After doing some research on which probiotic to take I went back to the pharmacy to pick up those pills as well. As others have stated you MUST take this med with plenty of water. After the first 4 pills I did have a slight headache and noticed my eyes seemed red and slightly irritated. I pushed the next dose out by 2 hours and increased my water intake. I haven't had any more issues (so far). I will update after I complete the full dosage. *I would recommend taking the probiotic."

CMiLLO (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2016