Can you drink alcohol while taking Augmentin?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com Last updated on Aug 27, 2018.
Official Answerby Drugs.com
Yes, you can drink alcohol while taking Augmentin. Alcohol will not stop Augmentin from working.
There are certain antibiotics including Metronidazole, Tinidazole and Bactrim where alcohol must be avoided because the combination may result in a severe reaction. Drinking any amount of alcohol with these medications can result in side effects such as flushing, headache, nausea and vomiting, and rapid heart rate.
There are no such side effects issues when alcohol is taken with Augmentin.
However, if you have an infection, it is probably a good idea to avoid alcohol to give your body the best chance possible to fight the infection.
Related Medical Questions
- Does AMOX-CLAV treat an abcessed tooth?
- Can Amox-Clav tablets be crushed?
- What antibiotics are used to treat pneumonia?
- What is the best antibiotic to treat a sinus infection?
- Augmentin Information for Consumers
- Augmentin Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Augmentin (detailed)
Related Support Groups
- Augmentin (67 questions, 72 members)