User Reviews for Augmentin to treat Strep Throat

Augmentin has an average rating of 6.7 out of 10 from a total of 32 ratings for the treatment of Strep Throat. 47% of those users who reviewed Augmentin reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Augmentin Rating Summary

6.7/10 average rating

Compare all 20 medications used in the treatment of Strep Throat.

Reviews for Augmentin

JayT · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2021

“I've had several antibiotics before in my life with no problem, if the doctors ever try prescribing me Augmentin again I'm refusing. WORST EXPERIENCE of my life. I've been extremely nauseous with stomach pain, some pepto took care of the discomfort easily enough, but that's not my main complaint. It has destroyed my sense of taste and smell, everything reeks, I can't make out any smells, everything has the same disgusting odor. There's a putrid bitter taste in my mouth all the time. I lost almost 10 lbs through my 10 days of this antibiotic simply because how little I could eat/ keep down. Granny smith apples and yogurt were the only things that didn't have that bitter putrid taste. Not to mention it took 7 days for my fever to break when the doctors told me 3-4.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2021

“Took augmentin for a severe case of strep throat, throat started to look better after 24 hours after 2 days I felt like a brand new person, no side effects at all, best drug out there!!!”

D November 26, 2020

“Augmentin worked fast within 3 days for my strep throat, but the diarrhoea and stomach aches I had taking this was awful. Even for a few days after I had finished the 10 days of Antibiotics. First few days I experienced some trouble sleeping, night sweats and the headache here and there. Generally worked well, but side effect were not fun.”

Nurse Kate · Taken for less than 1 month April 16, 2016

“So, got another strep infection. Haven't had one in a couple years. But you can always tell because you get fever and chills (like seizure shaking), pain when you swallow, and my tell-tale sign--dragon-hot Fire breath. Anyway, checked my throat out and it was bright red with white spots, patches of pus. I went to urgent care on my lunch and sure enough rapid strep test positive. I was prescribed augmentin 875 twice per day for 10 days. I just took my third pill and I already feel so much better. Wish I hadn't have waited 2 days.”

Frank26 · Taken for less than 1 month September 7, 2015

“This is the ONLY antibiotic I have been prescribed that cures the bacterial infection that comes along with streptococcus. Zithromax or Z packs (azithromycin) are useless for me due to complete antibiotic resistance to that drug. Also, regular amoxicillin is ineffective due to antibiotic resistance. This medication is powerful and can cause side effects such as diarrhea but you can take Imodium (loperamide) for that which I highly recommend during the course of this treatment along with drinking plenty of fluids such as water and Gatorade to maintain electrolytes. This is a 10 day course of medication and is highly effective. I recommend this as a FIRST course of treatment due to antibiotic resistance.”

BigBabyDave January 3, 2015

“After failing to complete the 10 day cycle of penicillin initially prescribed and a 3 day delay in getting back to the doctor, the the strep came back 500x worse than the first time (including sinus and ear infections). Augmentin was prescribed along with Lidocaine Viscous (to gargle), Sudafed, Flonase, Ibuprofen, and Saline Rinse. After 1 day, I can tell that I am on the mend... fever gone; throat, ears and sinuses getting better... I have had no adverse digestive effects (am eating yogurt consistently as it's he only that I have been able to get down). I am thankful that the Nurse Practitioner at CVS Minute Clinic went all out instead of sending me to the ER. This time I will finish the complete cycle!”

strep February 27, 2014

“My Dr told me to drink it down with water and then eat yogurt or probiotic an hour after each dose and I never got sick and she said if you don't drink enough water you will get the runs , so I drank tons and never got it , I am too happy .I had been suffering for two months.”

S. RICHARD RAJ February 6, 2014

“My worst nightmare started with uncontrollable sneezing in the evening which later developed into severe throat pain and musculoskeletal pain with temperatures shooting up to 103. The physician (whom I consulted in the absence of my family physician) prescribed cefixime and Azithromycin (200 500) combination twice a day, but the progress was very slow with the temp remaining high at 103. Fortunately, my physician returned and I consulted again and was prescribed Augmentin 625 twice a day for 3 days. Within a day, I found excellent improvement and the second day the strep pharyngitis completely subsided.”

AEJ2 April 10, 2016

“On tamiflu for the flu, zpack for strep-throat and motrin for pain and fever. Day 2: me begging please give me penicillin please.. my throat began to swell and was covered with infection. I went to urgent care and was given prednisone shot along with Rocephin shot. Followed with prescription for prednisone, augmentin and diflucan. IMMEDIATELY the augment kick the hell out of the strep-throat. I began spitting out the infection.. the flu symptoms subsided. And all is right in the world. I had the runs, upset stomach and yeast infection.. all of those pale in comparison to strep-throat and the flu”

Bill Granger January 5, 2012

“On day 1, no change in the symptoms. Day 2: I got diarrhea. Day: 3 no more fever and pain relief, diarrhea reduces as well. Day 4: No fever, no diarrhea and a little headache. Days 5 to 7: I forgot I was sick, had to put reminders on the phone in order to remember to follow the 7 days prescription. Worked for me.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 25, 2020

“Augmentin is a powerful drug and within 2 doses for strep throat my throat started to open back up. I could breathe easier and swallow without too much pain. However, it gave me the worst headache I have ever had. I tried tylenol, ibuprofen and BC powder and my head still felt like it was going to explode. Switching to Amoxicillin. I just hope it works as well as Augmentin without this terrible side effect.”

Strep · Taken for less than 1 month May 16, 2019

“I had a terrible strep infection. My throat was so painful and my body ached. Was prescribed penicillin. After 4 doses and no improvement returned to the doctor and was prescribed Augmentin. I knew the side effects would be bad, but was desperate to see improvement in the strep, which 2 doctors described as a really bad case. After 2 doses, NO SIDE EFFECTS, my stomach was fine, I saw improvement in my throat. After the 3rd dose I started noticing some upset stomach and a bad headache. Hoping this headache doesn't last.”

kat2332 · Taken for less than 1 month June 1, 2015

“I had a wicked bout of strep while travelling in Europe. I had a round of Amoxicillin which didn't quite clear it, so I was prescribed Augmentin. I had 30 hours of travel ahead of me, and two hours of sleep to go on, but despite the circumstances, I began to feel much better! The only side effects I've had so far have been that the acne on my cheeks has completely cleared up and I have better than average energy levels (not sure if either of these are related to the Augmentin, but the timing lines up perfectly).”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2014

“This medicine worked to clear up sinus and chest infection within 4 days but my sense of taste is gone. Everything tastes blend or not right. Only sweet things are flavorful. Must be the Augmentin. On 10 day course.”

Bbaird · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2012

“This is only my second day on the medicine. The swelling and pain has gone down dramatically however the side effects are bad. Horrible cramping, abdominal pain and of course, wretched diarrhea. Like I said, I'm only on my second day, let's just hope this doesn't last much longer.”

HhhbjkkjhhjB August 19, 2016

“Completely useless medication. Been taking this for 5 days and absolutely none of my symptoms have cleared up. This morning I woke up with a pounding headache and I am about to throw up. Avoid at all costs”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 21, 2019

“Diagnosed with strep throat and a perforated ear drum...I was in a ton of pain. AUGMENTIN got rid of the ear pain and throat pain in 2 days but the pure liquid diarrhea is nonstop. So of course I'm an idiot and feel better so I stopped taking it after 3 days. Well day 6 I am back (worse) with the strep throat so I start taking it again. The heart burn is out of control and diarrhea ASAP again. Pain in my throat is so bad I am trying to bare the side effects. I take a probiotic every day and I currently just took pepto with hope of some relief.”

Megalodon · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2020

“I was diagnosed with strep throat and given amoxicllin and strep came back and so they gave me Augmentin. Two pills in and started noticing little dots on my skin but thought it was normal and didn't want to be in pain so I took 6 days of it ( don't do that if you start to develop a rash). I had hives all over my body that itched. It made me self conscious and depressed and I can't work right now because my job is labored and I sweat a lot. The doctor didn't want to give me anything else because my immune system was freaking out. A week and a half later my hives are spreading still and my strep comes back. I was given a steroid injection that helped relieve some of the itching, taking zyrtec daily, prednisone and keflex this time due to my other antibiotic allergy. 2 weeks since I stopped taking Augmentin and anything that causes me mental anguish or anxiety flare my whole body up with hives that feel like bugs are crawling over me.. My immune system has been destroyed by 3 bouts of strep in 30 days.”

Anonymous August 30, 2009

“This cleared my throat infection within 2 days and made me feel so much better pretty quickly as far as temperature and discomfort were concerned. However, I did vomit with it and felt nauseous for about an hour and a half after taking it. The diarrhoea is still with me on day 4.”

Kanthkum · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2017

“First it is a good medicine for sore throat and cough.. along with sinurest and nasal decongestant. I have taken azitromicin previously it takes 15 days to cure sore throat..but augmentin will take only 4 day to cure along with as I said previous drugs”

Anonymous July 24, 2009

“This medication did clear up my strep throat within the first couple days being on it. However the side effects were horrible. I had watery diarrhea for like 3 days, I always felt nausea after taking it even with food, and I had strong stomach pains. Also by the 4th day on it I had a yeast infection.”

still in severe pain March 31, 2016

“Am now on day 2 of meds still in horrible pain.hurts so much to swallow any type of food or water.. Fever is under control thanks to round the clock advil and Tylenol.no relief as of yet hoping that it starts to help..”

Omee79 September 16, 2017

“In 2015 Aug my Doctor prescribe me Augmentin 625, for 10 days. After completing this course my strep throat problem was gone but I haven't been able to sleep for several months, sweating, feel like body is shaking and nightmare. Next 6-month acid reflux with too much burping with lots of air comes out and stomach cramps and problems with throat and colon and time to time ear pain. I started treatment like GARD, IBS. but my health becomes poor, even my immunity power goes down. In next 6 months, I stop all drugs and start taking healthy diet and regular exercise, I feel better and better.”

Grif · Taken for less than 1 month November 15, 2019

“Tried this medication many times in the past and I have not tolerated it well. Typically doctors have given it to me for mycoplasma, but this time I was diagnosed with strep throat. Since I did not already have a headache due to the strep throat I opted to go with Augmentin as recommended by the ENT. I was sure to share my past episodes with the medication, but the ENT assured me headaches were not a side effect. Well 1 dose into it my head feels like it weights 50 lbs and I am achy all over and feel totally worse. After the second dose my full blown headache where I can’t move is back in full force. And I also can’t sleep on it. Never again on this medication!!!”

Unicorn. · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 21, 2019

“Honestly the worst drug i’ve ever taken, a doctor prescribed me this after a second strep throat infection and after the third dose I'm experiencing stomach pain like never before and throwing up every five seconds (dry heaving included). Do not take this drug, do not let a doctor prescribe you this if you’re sensitive in any way whatsoever, and always do your research before taking an Rx.”

Mark Bristol · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2016

“My opinion is that it is of the best out there.My throat sore(streptoccocus pyogenes) went away in 4 days without any side effects.”

ghhrf · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2015

“Still sick and throat hurts sfter 36 hrs”

Anona · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2016

“Medicine is working excellent, however, the side effects are intense. Severe diarrhea, horrible headache within an hour of each dose that gets worse when I stand. I'm only on day 3 of a 10 day cycle.”

Learn more about Strep Throat