User Reviews for Augmentin

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Augmentin.

Augmentin Rating Summary

5.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 887 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Augmentin to treat Bacterial Infection

"I started Augmentin on Thursday morning because I had typhoid. My doctor insisted it will clear it and make me feel better. Since Thursday, I have experience extreme diarrhea, nausea, and body pains. I wake up 8 -10 times during the night to vomit and stool. Both happens simultaneously and as at this morning of the fourth day, I feel like I might never get better. I am going to stop it. I have no more strength to even puke or sit up. I can't lie on my belly or back either and my two sides are aching seriously due to the constant support"

Teebhanks (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed augmentin for a dental infection/tooth abscess. When I went to the dentist, I had already been on 3 or 4 days of penicillin. The penicillin didn't seem to be clearing the infection, and the dentist couldn't get me in for a root canal for another week. There the augmentin came into play. The first dose I took on an empty stomach (couldn't eat with my throbbing face). So I had some nausea and just figured it normal. The next dose I took with food, as directed. I puked viciously. I took another dose or two and had similar results... so much nausea and vomiting, it was hard to appreciate the fact my face wasn't throbbing. So it works well on infections, hard on the stomach though."

whooaanelly (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is one of the worst experience in my entire life. After taking Augmentin , I had diarrhea for a week, yeast infection, dry red rashes at the palm of my hands and inner thighs, hemorrhoids, exhaustion, blurry vision, increased heart rate which caused me not able to sleep. I WILL NEVER take Augmentin again, worst meds in the world."

duckwai (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"BEST thing in the world for a ear infection. Dries up the water in the ear along with killing the bacteria running amok in there. Have used this for 30 years for my annual weather change induced inner ear infection with no side effects. Works better than a z-pak."

Dhk12300 January 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My 16 month old daughter was prescribed this for an ear infection, her first ear infection ever. She's never been on antibiotics before. This drug is tearing up her insides. We're on day four of ten and I'm not giving it to her anymore. Going to the dr today for other options. She's been crying, screaming, writhing with stomach pain and I feel like the cure is FAR worse than the ear infection!!! Wish I'd known how strong it was before I picked it up. Horrible!!!"

Emma's Momma December 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took one dose yesterday afternoon and subsequently had THE WORST 12 hours of my entire life, bar none. Intense nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain... I'm left feeling very weak and still have pain in my stomach. What a nightmare."

LadyLMO (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started augmentin 1gm twice/day 5 days ago (Wed. Sep. 9th) to treat inflammation in tooth root. the stomach problems started by day 4. Today (day 5) was really bad: headache, stomach pain, pain in my joints and my whole body. I also had a loose stool from day 1. I called my doctor explained the situation and he said I can stop taking it, a minimum of 4 days should suffice. So I took 9 out of a course of 14 tablets. I hope I'll get rid of my whole-body pain and stomach problems soon. So overall experience with augmentin: bad"

noogy (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took it via IV for five days in hospital for diviculitus infection,temperature dropped in a day and inflammation decreased. But had to take two more courses after being discharged to fully clear the infection I found the sickness and nausea very harsh and felt very weak when on it,surprisingly it didn't upset my stomach Side effects cleared very quickly a few days after stoping it,I would rather take this than the dangerous alternative cipro.So would probably take again even though the side effects were difficult"

Andy Perkles July 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"As advised by doctor take with probiotics - took one pill 830 (1/2) apart then around 1100 started throwing up for over an our then got diarrhea - guess I didn't have enough food on stomach - will not complete dosage."

Spoutrun June 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After 10 day dosage I developed severe diarrhea with bloody stools.(C-diff) Went to ER and was diagnosed with c-diff. Have been I'll ever since and am now lactose intolerant. Took metronidazole for 14 days but still have symptoms . Horrible experience."

Jodi4merom April 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Makes me feel anxious buzzing in ears..took the infection away but it makes me feel off..calling the dr in the morning to get off this crap"

Never again will i use it (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had a really bad infected impacted wisdom tooth and dentist prescribed augmentin. This antibiotic works really good. Only side effect was diarrhea. Infection cleared up in about 4 days."

TyTy3643 December 6, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Intense abdominal pain. Bloody diarrhea. Loss of blood from diarrhea causing excessive weakness. Resulting in 6 day intensive care in hospital."

skipbob November 16, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took for a gum infection after an extraction - no side effects whatsoever and did the job! Good stuff!!"

PLA12 (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took augmentin for 3 days and developed severe tachycardia. My heart rate even went to 180 where I had to end up going to the emergency room. Left there with orders not to take augmentin and was given prescriptions for ativan (my resting heart rate was 130) and clindamycin"

toothache that cost me $3500 (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Several side effects from this drug: diarrhea, slight headache, nausea, stomach cramping, oral thrush, yeast infection. But, the infection did clear up."

Texgal2 April 19, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Best medicine I've used to treat this particular infection. Amoxicillin and Bactrim aren't as effective for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After taking my second Augmentin pill I had horrible nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. I ended up in the hospital for severe dehydration."

dkhutton (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a really bad fever and swollen tonsils and this medicine did make all the symptoms go away but after about three days of taking it I now feel sick from the constant diarrhea and nausea."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Medicine worked great re: double infections; couple days I could feel difference. HOWEVER, side effects were terrible; still around after completing 10-day treatment. Even with daily probiotics and yogurt the digestive/intestinal issues were bad, constant trips to bathroom; eating would immediately create "stomach talk"; could not leave house; had to cancel family trip as travel would have been difficult. Lethargic, weak, blurry vision, exhausted; with all of this it really affected my mentality. FYI: On the 2nd day when side effects began, I spoke with my pharmacist who encouraged me to stay on it if I could endure these "common" side effects, none being allergic. It has worked but still healing from side effects. "

Cool Mamaw September 21, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took Augmentin for one day and had skin reaction, very red and itchy, not pleasent at all."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had an allergic reaction - facial swelling, lips and nose."

Anonymous May 14, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The doctor gave it to me for a chronic case of strep throat. It worked ok just gave me bad headaches and made me nauseous. "

Anonymous February 19, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have bad stomach aches and nausea with this, but also it way better than others that I took for diverticulitis. Makes me jittery and have nervous stomach."

Chri$G May 27, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Four hours after taking one 875 mg pill I had severe diarrhea and nausea."

Anonymous January 6, 2011