User Reviews for Augmentin

Learn more about Augmentin.

Augmentin Rating Summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 888 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Augmentin to treat Bacterial Infection

"BEST thing in the world for a ear infection. Dries up the water in the ear along with killing the bacteria running amok in there. Have used this for 30 years for my annual weather change induced inner ear infection with no side effects. Works better than a z-pak."

Dhk12300 January 17, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My 16 month old daughter was prescribed this for an ear infection, her first ear infection ever. She's never been on antibiotics before. This drug is tearing up her insides. We're on day four of ten and I'm not giving it to her anymore. Going to the dr today for other options. She's been crying, screaming, writhing with stomach pain and I feel like the cure is FAR worse than the ear infection!!! Wish I'd known how strong it was before I picked it up. Horrible!!!"

Emma's Momma December 30, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took one dose yesterday afternoon and subsequently had THE WORST 12 hours of my entire life, bar none. Intense nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain... I'm left feeling very weak and still have pain in my stomach. What a nightmare."

LadyLMO (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started augmentin 1gm twice/day 5 days ago (Wed. Sep. 9th) to treat inflammation in tooth root. the stomach problems started by day 4. Today (day 5) was really bad: headache, stomach pain, pain in my joints and my whole body. I also had a loose stool from day 1. I called my doctor explained the situation and he said I can stop taking it, a minimum of 4 days should suffice. So I took 9 out of a course of 14 tablets. I hope I'll get rid of my whole-body pain and stomach problems soon. So overall experience with augmentin: bad"

noogy (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took it via IV for five days in hospital for diviculitus infection,temperature dropped in a day and inflammation decreased. But had to take two more courses after being discharged to fully clear the infection I found the sickness and nausea very harsh and felt very weak when on it,surprisingly it didn't upset my stomach Side effects cleared very quickly a few days after stoping it,I would rather take this than the dangerous alternative cipro.So would probably take again even though the side effects were difficult"

Andy Perkles July 26, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"As advised by doctor take with probiotics - took one pill 830 (1/2) apart then around 1100 started throwing up for over an our then got diarrhea - guess I didn't have enough food on stomach - will not complete dosage."

Spoutrun June 10, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After 10 day dosage I developed severe diarrhea with bloody stools.(C-diff) Went to ER and was diagnosed with c-diff. Have been I'll ever since and am now lactose intolerant. Took metronidazole for 14 days but still have symptoms . Horrible experience."

Jodi4merom April 15, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Makes me feel anxious buzzing in ears..took the infection away but it makes me feel off..calling the dr in the morning to get off this crap"

Never again will i use it (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had a really bad infected impacted wisdom tooth and dentist prescribed augmentin. This antibiotic works really good. Only side effect was diarrhea. Infection cleared up in about 4 days."

TyTy3643 December 6, 2015

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Intense abdominal pain. Bloody diarrhea. Loss of blood from diarrhea causing excessive weakness. Resulting in 6 day intensive care in hospital."

skipbob November 16, 2015

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took for a gum infection after an extraction - no side effects whatsoever and did the job! Good stuff!!"

PLA12 (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2015

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took augmentin for 3 days and developed severe tachycardia. My heart rate even went to 180 where I had to end up going to the emergency room. Left there with orders not to take augmentin and was given prescriptions for ativan (my resting heart rate was 130) and clindamycin"

toothache that cost me $3500 (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2015

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Several side effects from this drug: diarrhea, slight headache, nausea, stomach cramping, oral thrush, yeast infection. But, the infection did clear up."

Texgal2 April 19, 2015

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Best medicine I've used to treat this particular infection. Amoxicillin and Bactrim aren't as effective for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2015

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After taking my second Augmentin pill I had horrible nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. I ended up in the hospital for severe dehydration."

dkhutton (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2013

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a really bad fever and swollen tonsils and this medicine did make all the symptoms go away but after about three days of taking it I now feel sick from the constant diarrhea and nausea."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2012

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Medicine worked great re: double infections; couple days I could feel difference. HOWEVER, side effects were terrible; still around after completing 10-day treatment. Even with daily probiotics and yogurt the digestive/intestinal issues were bad, constant trips to bathroom; eating would immediately create "stomach talk"; could not leave house; had to cancel family trip as travel would have been difficult. Lethargic, weak, blurry vision, exhausted; with all of this it really affected my mentality. FYI: On the 2nd day when side effects began, I spoke with my pharmacist who encouraged me to stay on it if I could endure these "common" side effects, none being allergic. It has worked but still healing from side effects. "

Cool Mamaw September 21, 2012

57 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took Augmentin for one day and had skin reaction, very red and itchy, not pleasent at all."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2012

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had an allergic reaction - facial swelling, lips and nose."

Anonymous May 14, 2012

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The doctor gave it to me for a chronic case of strep throat. It worked ok just gave me bad headaches and made me nauseous. "

Anonymous February 19, 2012

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have bad stomach aches and nausea with this, but also it way better than others that I took for diverticulitis. Makes me jittery and have nervous stomach."

Chri$G May 27, 2011

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Four hours after taking one 875 mg pill I had severe diarrhea and nausea."

Anonymous January 6, 2011

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took Augmentin for a bacterial infection. The infection cleared up, but the day I took my last dose, I broke out in severe hives. I was out of town so did not see my doctor. Took Benadryl every 6 hours for 4 days before the hives subsided. The hives covered everywhere from my face to my feet. Although it cleared up my infection, I would not want to face that side effect again. Never had any allergies to antibiotics before."

Anonymous November 7, 2009

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had an infection caused by cat bites & scratches on my hand (my cat got caught in a vine by his tail and was in a complete panic; I freed him from the vine, however, during that process he latched onto my hand and bit and scratched - he is ok, thank goodness). I was prescribed this medication; it took time, yet it did work to eliminate the infection. The side-effects of 2 pills/day of 875mg each (total/day = 1,750mg) for 10 days had a strong effect on me. I did not follow-up with the hospital, which I should have done. I would emphasize that if anyone is to take that amount of this medication, to consult with their doctor when side effects are seen."

Anonymous September 11, 2009

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Gave me awful stomach pain and nausea after just one dose. "

jmont60 May 19, 2009