User Reviews for Augmentin

Learn more about Augmentin.

Augmentin Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 869 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Augmentin to treat Bacterial Infection

"Took it via IV for five days in hospital for diviculitus infection,temperature dropped in a day and inflammation decreased. But had to take two more courses after being discharged to fully clear the infection I found the sickness and nausea very harsh and felt very weak when on it,surprisingly it didn't upset my stomach Side effects cleared very quickly a few days after stoping it,I would rather take this than the dangerous alternative cipro.So would probably take again even though the side effects were difficult"

Andy Perkles July 26, 2016

"As advised by doctor take with probiotics - took one pill 830 (1/2) apart then around 1100 started throwing up for over an our then got diarrhea - guess I didn't have enough food on stomach - will not complete dosage."

Spoutrun June 10, 2016

"After 10 day dosage I developed severe diarrhea with bloody stools.(C-diff) Went to ER and was diagnosed with c-diff. Have been I'll ever since and am now lactose intolerant. Took metronidazole for 14 days but still have symptoms . Horrible experience."

Jodi4merom April 15, 2016

"Makes me feel anxious buzzing in ears..took the infection away but it makes me feel off..calling the dr in the morning to get off this crap"

Never again will i use it (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2016

"Had a really bad infected impacted wisdom tooth and dentist prescribed augmentin. This antibiotic works really good. Only side effect was diarrhea. Infection cleared up in about 4 days."

TyTy3643 December 6, 2015

"Intense abdominal pain. Bloody diarrhea. Loss of blood from diarrhea causing excessive weakness. Resulting in 6 day intensive care in hospital."

skipbob November 16, 2015

"Took for a gum infection after an extraction - no side effects whatsoever and did the job! Good stuff!!"

PLA12 (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2015

"I took augmentin for 3 days and developed severe tachycardia. My heart rate even went to 180 where I had to end up going to the emergency room. Left there with orders not to take augmentin and was given prescriptions for ativan (my resting heart rate was 130) and clindamycin"

toothache that cost me $3500 (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2015

"Several side effects from this drug: diarrhea, slight headache, nausea, stomach cramping, oral thrush, yeast infection. But, the infection did clear up."

Texgal2 April 19, 2015

"Best medicine I've used to treat this particular infection. Amoxicillin and Bactrim aren't as effective for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2015

"After taking my second Augmentin pill I had horrible nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. I ended up in the hospital for severe dehydration."

dkhutton (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2013

"I had a really bad fever and swollen tonsils and this medicine did make all the symptoms go away but after about three days of taking it I now feel sick from the constant diarrhea and nausea."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2012

"Medicine worked great re: double infections; couple days I could feel difference. HOWEVER, side effects were terrible; still around after completing 10-day treatment. Even with daily probiotics and yogurt the digestive/intestinal issues were bad, constant trips to bathroom; eating would immediately create "stomach talk"; could not leave house; had to cancel family trip as travel would have been difficult. Lethargic, weak, blurry vision, exhausted; with all of this it really affected my mentality. FYI: On the 2nd day when side effects began, I spoke with my pharmacist who encouraged me to stay on it if I could endure these "common" side effects, none being allergic. It has worked but still healing from side effects. "

Cool Mamaw September 21, 2012

"Took Augmentin for one day and had skin reaction, very red and itchy, not pleasent at all."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2012

"Had an allergic reaction - facial swelling, lips and nose."

Anonymous May 14, 2012

"The doctor gave it to me for a chronic case of strep throat. It worked ok just gave me bad headaches and made me nauseous. "

Anonymous February 19, 2012

"Have bad stomach aches and nausea with this, but also it way better than others that I took for diverticulitis. Makes me jittery and have nervous stomach."

Chri$G May 27, 2011

"Four hours after taking one 875 mg pill I had severe diarrhea and nausea."

Anonymous January 6, 2011

"Took Augmentin for a bacterial infection. The infection cleared up, but the day I took my last dose, I broke out in severe hives. I was out of town so did not see my doctor. Took Benadryl every 6 hours for 4 days before the hives subsided. The hives covered everywhere from my face to my feet. Although it cleared up my infection, I would not want to face that side effect again. Never had any allergies to antibiotics before."

Anonymous November 7, 2009

"I had an infection caused by cat bites & scratches on my hand (my cat got caught in a vine by his tail and was in a complete panic; I freed him from the vine, however, during that process he latched onto my hand and bit and scratched - he is ok, thank goodness). I was prescribed this medication; it took time, yet it did work to eliminate the infection. The side-effects of 2 pills/day of 875mg each (total/day = 1,750mg) for 10 days had a strong effect on me. I did not follow-up with the hospital, which I should have done. I would emphasize that if anyone is to take that amount of this medication, to consult with their doctor when side effects are seen."

Anonymous September 11, 2009

"Gave me awful stomach pain and nausea after just one dose. "

jmont60 May 19, 2009

"I have chronic upper respiratory infections - this works much better for me than the newer antibiotics."

Blancabell February 16, 2009

"My son had over half of the severe reactions to this medicine. He was prescribed this medicine for an ear infection. We spent a whole day in the doctors office being tested for everything from cancer and blood disorders to simple viruses. Thankfully, we found out it was just a reaction to augmentin. Our oldest son has had augmentin before without any reaction what-so-ever."

Anonymous February 13, 2009

"Works well. Watch for diaper rash (yeast type) in infants. Apply cream to diaper area liberally at every diaper change and give probiotics."

Anonymous November 30, 2008

"Had a bad sinus infection that went into my lungs, but after 3 days on Augmentin, I started to feel much better. The only drawback for me is the nausea and mild diarrhea."

Anonymous October 16, 2008