User Reviews for Augmentin

Augmentin Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 213 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Augmentin to treat Sinusitis

"I suffer from fibromyalgia and arthritis, so am already on a regimen of meds. I developed a severe sinus problem after oral surgery which opened into my sinus cavities. Nothing, including sinus surgery, and carefully chosen antibiotics, kicked it. I lost my sense of smell and taste. My doctor and I decided to try with Àugmentin 875- 2x/day. I was warned. I take a super probiotic between doses, and eat yogurt. I am also eating a good amount of mild healthy food. Nausea-yes, but no vomiting. Rough diarrhea that is less urgent after 8 days. Much fatigue, but I am used to that. I am halfway thru a 21-day prescription and can now taste and smell (that began with a strange tinge that has gone away) and feel less drained from infection. No yeast issues, but being vigilant just the same. I still have 10 days to go and, although used to feeling lousy anyway, I can feel the absence of the rampant sinus issues. No more throat glop or constant heavy nose-blowing."

Karen March 4, 2018

"I feel comforted reading the feedback on this because I thought maybe I was losing my mind. I have had sinus infections for years and finally tried antibiotic approach. I had no idea the side effects would be so awful! Stay near a toilet or wear Depends. On day one I "sharted" in public, then started daily taking anti-d med which didn't even help. Vomited twice during the week but that was probably me being bad for drinking alcohol. Horrible headaches, fatigue and brain fog (to the point my boss asked me if I was ok just passing the hallway) and long bouts of weird fever-sleep. The worst part is, either I got a cold virus by chance, or this hasn't worked at all...it's hard to tell but it feels more like a cold. Awful from start to end."

ECGA (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2018

"Given Augmentin for Sinusitis after dental implant and sinus lift caused the sinusitis. Dose was 3 times a day for 14 days. This was a bad infection and cause fluid build up in sinuses, so Sudafed was also prescribed twice a day. Was having fever symptoms before taking Augmentin and the fever became less but didn't quite go away. It would come back randomly for short periods. It made food taste differently and in some ways spoiled my appetite. It also made me feel different all over. I made sure to eat something before taking Augmentin and as long as I also took a probiotic immediately after taking it, I had no stomach issues, but LOTS of gas especially in the morning. Felt somewhat better after 3 days, and much better after 7. Because I had C-Diff from Clindamycin in 2006 (after an dental abcess) which was very difficult to get rid of, it took almost 6 weeks of Flagyl and Vancomycin to do so, I am very reluctant to take any antibiotic unless I absolutely need it."

Ron February 23, 2018

"Day 5 and my sinus congestion is as bad if not worse. Had a fever on day 2, chronic headache despite drinking a gallon of water a day. Ruptured my eardrum Day 2 blowing my nose after using the neti pot my doctor insisted I try (never again!). So now I’m not supposed to blow my nose. Every other antibiotic I’ve been on started clearing up my symptoms within 2 days. As a teacher it’s next to impossible to be effective while sick like this. I have sinus and ear pain and tooth pain to contend with on top of lethargy and chronic headache. So for me Augmentin has been ineffective. Never again."

Kvaughn0719 February 10, 2018

"6 weeks after stopping this. I still have nausea and exhaustion"

Photowonder (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2018

"I took Augmentin for Sinusitis and have been taking since 8 days that makes it 16 tablets and I still haven't noticed any side effect due to it. No diarrhea, no headache and no any other side effects that are usually described. In 8 days, my pain is reduced to 70% as I now need only 1 pain killer tablet through out a day (before this, I was taking thrice a day). I'm also taking steam and using Saline Nasal drops."

jaribhai (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2018

"Was put on this for an ear and sinus infection. By my second day I was having bad stomach cramps, excessive bowel movements, some diarrhea, nausea, body aches, joint pain, fatigue, brain fog, nerve tingling in legs and feet, Constant headache, also I began spotting on my second day and it was one week before my period was due, this never happens, I spotted until my period started. I have three more days left and I feel worse than I did before I started it. My ear isn’t completely better yet either, my sinuses have cleared up some but not all the way. I called my dr and he said he is hesitant to change my script as my infection was/is so bad, asked that I just push through side effects. Never again!"

Yoda’s Angel (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2017

"Knocked out a sinus infection in 4 days. No stomach discomfort(took Rephresh probiotic and Florastor). Got a pretty bad yeast infection but diflucan knocked that out."

Dreamgal31 (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2017

"So today I started Augmentin & I’m 18... so after I took it, I felt light headed & very nauseous. Like so nauseous I was burping a lot. I haven’t made a Bowel movement since I’ve taken it so I don’t know for I have diarrhea.? And my stomach just HURTS. Should I stop taking it?"

LeahBae November 13, 2017

"I was prescribed Augmentin 875 mg every 12 hours 2 days ago . Today ( after 4 tabs) I began to have diarrhea and stomach aches . I was prescribed this drug because my indoor cat got loose outdoors and scared and scratched my hand and bit me. I am a senior lady who has had a blocked intestine before and after surgery got C Dif and am afraid to continue this drug as I may have a re occurrence. I'm stopping the dosage tonight and will see the MD tomorrow.I want off this drug! Oh, the reason I had C Dif was because I got Salmonella in the hospital and was given so much IV antibiotics."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2017

"Prescribed 2000mg spread over two tablets a day for sinusitis. Lasted 2 days on the medication and had to stop. Severe nausea and wretched, general ill feeling, incredibly upset stomachs with excessive bowel movements, to the point mucus was being passed. Thrush and exposure to further infection resulted. Doctor took me off them with immediate effect and being put on something else tomorrow."

Mcgmjp October 13, 2017

"Had such a bad sinus infection that my right eye and face was swelling. Got 875 Augmentin twice daily. On day 2 and swelling stopped and I can see out of eye. Sore throats and nose running because my sinuses are now draining! No GI or side effects. Love it so far."

Vicksterama386969 August 31, 2017

"I will never take this drug again. I was prescribed a 10 day/twice a day dose for a sinus infection. I took one pill. Within 4 hrs of taking the pill I was experiencing fever like chills, tingling, nerve pain in my feet and restlessness. I had nightmares and a terrible night's sleep. The worst part is the headache I can't shake and the extreme fatigue. My head feels like it's in a vice. I've done nothing but sleep all day -- only moving to take Advil which barely touches the headache. I just assume suffer through the sinus infection rather than experience the past 24 hours on this drug."

Birdy53 July 2, 2017

"Don't ever use this, When I was 4 years old I was sick and the doctor give me augmentin. It effected me in a negative way, I used to throw up, pee (urninate) with blood, my skin was very pale and my eyes were yellow, and it caused me severe liver problems."

Nadaxx June 29, 2017

"Every time I have had a sinus infection and been prescribed Augmentin 875 I feel so much better within a day or two"

Miss Sherry (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2017

"I've had sinus problems for so many years - blocked sinus, headaches, temple pressures, allergic episodes. I couldn't breathe also had sore throat. So I decided to take action for once and got prescribed for a 7 day trial of augmentin, plus 24 hour claritin and nasal spray 2 times of each nostril every 3 hours as needed. The first days where hell because of my bodies reaction to this antibiotic. Since I believe it was due to me never using any antibiotics ever.I got chills, high fevers of 102-104. weakness. bed ridden fatigue. headache. it was horrible (although this could have been symptoms of infection) I started to take Tylenol to control the fever, it was god send (Acetaminophen 500mg). I took 2 tablets every 6 hours which did the trick. But the fevers ended day 4. after everything got better after."

Luis justice 13 May 15, 2017

"AVOID, AVOID. I was prescribed this for what was diagnosed as a bacterial upper respiratory infection. Have never had issues with antibiotics before. Yes, it improved my symptoms from the infection....but every day, I had a POUNDING heartbeat in the mornings...and it was causing profound fatigue and weakness every day. Didn't figure it out until after I took it the morning of day 5 and did some research. I STOPPED THAT TOXIC MEDICINE then and there. It's now 48 hours after I stopped it and I still have easy fatigue and palpitations. AVOID!!!!"

JAB in Colorado May 7, 2017

"I had a sinus infection and was put on augmentin for a week. I suffered from horrific headaches. I wanted someone to just knock me out because I couldn't handle the horrible headaches all day and night. My taste was affected as well. Even water didn't taste good. My stomach also affected me and I did take a probiotic. I wouldn't take this medication ever again."

JIS April 29, 2017

"Prescribed an 8-day prescription of Augmentin and I would not recommend this poison to anyone else, EVER. I wake up every day with a headache like my head is in a vice and stomach cramps that rival the pain of the sinus infection I went in for in the first place. And yes, I eat yogurt and take extra probiotics. My heart beats like a horses hooves on a racetrack and keeps me up far past any respectable time to go to sleep. I don't feel like myself at all, I'm telling you so you can run far away from this treacherous toxic substance."

Stonecoldsteveaustin April 21, 2017

"Medication very effective for sinus infection, some doctors recommend Omeprazole for the GI effects, it reduce highly stomach pain."

Hillman1 April 18, 2017

"Right after the first dose, I experienced the worst stomach cramps, gas, bloating...all the way into my chest. It seemed to help my sinus infection, but nothing is worth that type of pain. I couldn't keep food down, I don't have issues with acid reflux, until I started taking augmentin. I tried one more dose, before I quit and I went to my regular doctor, and he agreed that this stuff is harsh on your stomach, and changed to different antibiotic. I tried drinking a lot of water, yogurt, and I increased my intake of probiotics, but so far nothing is helping. I am hoping this horrid feeling will go away eventually."

Mimi59 (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2017

"I stopped taking mine this morning, with five doses remaining.The day I began the augmentin, I experienced shortness of breath. I chalked that up to being sick. The next day of taking them, I noticed the insomnia. It was 3:30 a.m. and I thought it was 9 p.m. I was wide awake. Morning before last, I woke to find something that felt like pork fat sitting in my jaw. I pulled it out. The entire inside of my inner left cheek had peeled off and bled like mad. It is healing but eating is miserable. The final straw was, at the time my cheek peeled, I started having a left side facial tic and extreme tenderness beneath my jaw bone on that side. I WON'T be taking this again."

Jegra4355 March 17, 2017

"I found this to be a safe and effective drug. I have chronic sinusitis. A 20 day course puts the sinusitis in remission. I also have small intestine bacterial overgrowth. While I was prescribed the medication for sinusitis, I found a spectacular improvement in my acute and chronic small intestinal bacterial overgrowth."

sinusitis/small intestines (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 16, 2017

"Horrible, horrible experience. I'm a healthy (no pre existing conditions, exercises regularly, maintains healthy diet) female in my mid 30s. Rarely take meds, especially antibiotics, so when I do they usually work well. I was a little nervous to take augmentin because the dose was so strong, but the doc was adamant because I had a very severe sinus infection. By the third dose my whole body was reacting. No relief from the sinus congestion, horrible headache, very anxious/nervous, nightmares, night sweats, zero appetite, insomnia, blurred vision, horrible horrible yeast infection (I have never had a yeast infection in my entire life). Called the doc hysterically crying and was told to stop taking it immediately. Stay far away!!"

JennsReviews January 12, 2017

"This drug was the worse. I'm still recovering. Starting taking this on 12/28 for SI. I take daily probiotics and increased them since I expected some stomach upset. At first not so bad but by Friday 12/30. The yeast infection from hell reared its ugly head. I had Diflucan on stand by just in case and took it 12/31 and stopped Augmentin altogether Nothing and normally it's hours when I feel relief. I had to get Monistat 1 on New Years to help fight it. Just got relief as of 1/4. Digestive still not normal. Never again. Unless my life depends on it."

TeePooler January 7, 2017