User Reviews for Augmentin to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Augmentin has an average rating of 4.7 out of 10 from a total of 15 ratings for the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection. 40% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 60% reported a negative effect.

Augmentin Rating Summary

4.7/10 average rating

Compare all 290 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Augmentin

CJ · Taken for less than 1 month May 8, 2020

“I have had recurring UTI’s and have tried just about ever antibiotic and nothing else has helped me. Cephalexin did nothing and I am allergic to Bactrim. Cipro caused me to have severe tendinitis in my Archilles tendon. However I am doing well on Augmentin and can put up with the loose stools as I started feeling better by day 3. Taking a Probitrinol probiotic is helping me as Florastor did not work for me. Drink plenty of water and get lots of rest. Not all medications work for everyone so trial and error will work the best.”

Melani June 5, 2011

“I was on Augmentin twice a day for 7 days. I thought I would have diarrhea and cramps, headaches all the fun stuff with antibiotics but all that happened to me is about 2 hours after taking it I found myself VERY sleepy which it was bedtime anyways. Just try to take it 2 to 3 hours BEFORE bed so it won't upset you stomach while you are sleeping. Also what really helped me is drinking Dan Active yogurt so I get no diarrhea while taking it and it works well but I also was taking Culturelle (Probiotics). That AND the yogurt helped with diarrhea very well. ”

LauraH1981 June 12, 2017

“Feeling horrendous, like I'm being poisoned! Was prescribed this after a trip to A&E with an upper UTI/kidney infection. I don't normally take meds and I'm trying to avoid antibiotics as I have leaky gut but the Dr urged me to take them as the infection was so bad. Anyway, the first day or 2 weren't too bad but then I woke up and felt like I'd been hit by a freight train. Here are some of the things I've been experiencing: Nausea, bloating, thrush, severe migraine like headaches, loss of appetite, depression and mood swings, paranoia, anxiety, dehydration due to constant urination, burning pain in my limbs and a stiff neck, a feeling of being hungover each morning, dizziness and 'brain fog' and a dry cough! Never taking these again!!!”

HomeDoc August 12, 2018

“Augmentin has worked really well on my recent UTI. I started 2 a day Augmentin for 7 days along with copious amounts of Cranberry Juice (see References below) and within less than a day temp was down from 103F to 99F. Pain had dropped from level 8 to a level 2 in a day. Take with yogurt or with a meal, increase fluid and fiber intake. Finish all the medicine even though your symptoms have gone after a few days. Prevention is the best approach. DO Wash hands thoroughly after wiping and before any contact near your urinary tract. References: Kontiokari, T., Sundqvist, K., Nuutinen, M., Pokka, T., Koskela, M., & Uhari, M. (2001). Randomised trial of cranberry-lingonberry juice and Lactobacillus GG drink for the prevention of urinary tract infections in women. Bmj, 322(7302), 1571. Howell, A. B., & Foxman, B. (2002). Cranberry juice and adhesion of antibiotic-resistant uropathogens. JAMA: the journal of the American Medical Association, 287(23), 3082-3083.”

NeverAgain94 · Taken for less than 1 month September 6, 2017

“I was prescribed 250/125 Augmentin 3x daily for a bad UTI that was turning into a kidney infection and hadn't responded to Cipro. The fatigue, fever, and chills are bad enough with a UTI, but add Augmentin and it amplified it by 10. I have been in bed since I started taking it two days ago, I can't stop shaking and my joints feel like they're going to explode! Not to mention the vivid, hallucenenic type nightmares and the constant feeling of paranoia and feeling on the brink of a panic attack!! If you have anxiety like I do DO NOT TAKE THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE TO!!! I had a mental breakdown about taking another dose as I don't feel I can handle these side effects much longer. 9/10 would not take again, doesn't seem to be helping the infection”

ohjoy4me October 24, 2011

“I took this for my urinary tract infection, and although it cleared that up, one of the side effects of this medicine was diarrhea and thrush. I got both, but the thrush was the worst. I had to stop the course of antibiotics before I should have because of the severity of my thrush which I also passed on to my partner, oh joy. I stopped taking it now 4 days ago and I still have a mild dose of thrush even though I have taken 2 Canestan tablets and now a Pessary... fingers crossed this should be the end of it.”

Donna louise · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 5, 2013

“After a few days taking Augmentin I had shortness of breath, dizziness and my tongue starting to swell up. My skin felt like was on fire. I had to go to ER, doctor there said I was allergic to that medicine.”

Anonymous August 25, 2020

“This is a strong antibiotic and it’s horrible on the stomach.. after only a couple of hours, my entire stomach was hurting very badly with severe diarrhea and anxiety. I switched to Keflex hoping it’s better”

Katy · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2021

“Ok. I thought I could alleviate the absolutely horrible side effects associated with this medication by avoiding the adverse drug interactions and making sure I took each dose on a full stomach, but no. This is the antibiotic is awful. The debilitating side effects that I have experienced beginning on Day 4 are unrelenting nausea, headache and body aches. I can work and function with the flu, but this is worse than the flu. This is my third time attempting to take this medicine. I’ll never try it again. Avoid at all costs!”

Anonymous August 15, 2015

“I was given Augmentin to take after I Got an ear infection in the left ear but also had a perferated ear drum on the right. I went to the drs after a week and not only had the infection started to heal I now had an infection in both ears. He prescribed me more and seemed stumped as to why i was not improving. Its now been 2 weeks and I have suffered diarrhea and have been dealing with thrush for the past 3 days. On top of this I am constantly in a massive state of confusion and my skin is dry and red, my pill have ceased to work. I have stopped taking them and am seeing the dr tomorrow. Not only did the antibiotics not help my original problem now i have a whole list of other issues i need to fix.”

reviewingt · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2020

“I took augmentin for prostatitis since I had faecalis bacterial infection. I took it for 21 days then decided to stop because of the tinnitus that started on day 10. I stopped taking it day 21 hoping it goes away I do not recommended this. I took this to try to avoid cipro and fluoroquines only to get a side effect from this”

Dave 2 March 11, 2016

“Had UTI. Took Augmentin 875 twice a day for 2 weeks. Worked like a charm. Took it with Greek Yogurt and had no gastrointestinal problems.”

fiffie July 26, 2020

“Augmentin worked by day 2 better by day 3, 2 x day 875 strength. Does cause diarrhea and stomach pain but works.”

Humorous · Taken for less than 1 month September 1, 2018

“Badcold acute asmatic side effects bloaty pains while stooling and urine no sex pain hmm so wat yogurt use?”

NEVER USE · Taken for less than 1 month December 8, 2020

“Augmentin made may UTI incredibly worse. I'm 31 year old male with no catheter who had no urinary symptoms before taking Augmentin w/ Probiotics. This drug is truely awful.”