How long does Cipro take to work?
Although ciprofloxacin starts working within hours of taking it, you may not notice an improvement in your symptoms for 2 to 3 days. For some infections, such as osteomyelitis (a bone infection), it may take up to a week before you show any improvement.
Taking ciprofloxacin with dairy products, such as milk or yogurt, or with calcium supplements can also affect absorption and delay how quickly ciprofloxacin starts to work.
Even once you feel better, it is important to finish the course of ciprofloxacin that your doctor prescribed. This will ensure the infection doesn’t return quickly.
- Ciprofloxacin. NHS https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/ciprofloxacin/#:~:text=For%20most%20infections%2C%20you%20should,feel%20worse%20at%20any%20time.
- Ciprofloxacin. Revised 08/2021. AHFS DI Essentials https://www.drugs.com/monograph/ciprofloxacin.html
Related medical questions
- What types of infections does Cipro treat?
- What is the best antibiotic to treat a sinus infection?
- Can I use Cipro to treat a bacterial vaginitis infection?
- What medications can affect your taste or smell?
- How long does ciprofloxacin stay in your system when finished?
- What antibiotics are used to treat UTI?
- Ciprofloxacin - can you crush Cipro 500 tablets and mix with food?
- Are UTIs contagious?
- Does a UTI always need to be treated with an antibiotic?
- What happens if antibiotics don’t work for UTI?
- Does Flagyl treat UTI infections?
Related support groups
- Cipro (67 questions, 157 members)
- Ciprofloxacin (54 questions, 132 members)
- Urinary Tract Infection (187 questions, 589 members)
- Bacterial Infection (124 questions, 271 members)
- Sinusitis (87 questions, 227 members)
- Osteomyelitis (3 questions, 25 members)
- Surgical Prophylaxis (2 questions, 5 members)
- Skin and Structure Infection (15 questions, 29 members)
- Traveler's Diarrhea (4 questions, 5 members)
- Tuberculosis - Active (2 questions, 11 members)
- Pneumonia with Cystic Fibrosis (1 questions, 3 members)