User Reviews for Cipro

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Cipro.

Cipro Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 383 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Cipro to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"I live an holistic dairy free lifestyle, while on a cruise I developed a possible bladder infection & was prescribed Cipro, I lacked awareness & did not check it out. The side effects expanded & I stopped it after 4 days. I'm left with a chest infection cough & lots of mucus & multiple other effects to long to list. This drug needs to be banned from all minor UTI & bladder infections and only used to treat extreme infections"

Live in Joy December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this medication for twice a day for 10 days and on day 5, I had a tremor on my right hand and right after, my right arm and leg went numb. It was horrifying to experience especially because I am currently under getting a diagnosis if there being something wrong with my heart. So I didn't know if it was the pills or my heart until I started doing more research on the pill and tremors were a serious side effect. Yes I feel my UTI has gone away but I would NOT take again and I am still currently taking them but I'm going to talk with my doctor because I no longer want to use these drugs. Beside the tremor and numbness, I also became very tired, headaches, muscle pains, and nausea. Truly terrible to feel this way. I do not recommend."

KeileySJ August 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 67 year old female with no history of UTI until last week. PA prescribed Cipro 250. I can't sleep, I am having horrible heartburn, belching & burning. I have 3 tabs left & will finish taking because has helped the UTI. But I will not take again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed 6 over 3 day no appetite severe burning of my sinuses slow working"

Anonymous July 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed six 500mg Cipro pills for a suspected UTI, to be taken over three days. Cipro caused me to lose my appetite."

mac808 (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started experiencing side effects right after I took my last pill. I was prescribed 500mg 2x daily for 14 days. This was the first drug my urologist prescribed for prostitis. Now 3 days later foot and leg pain. This drug should not be used as the first option. It should be used only for severe issues. I misplaced my pamphlet so I I was unaware of the dangers. It should be a requirement that a FDA black box drug should be marked on the bottle with details in the pamphlet. I would have never taken this drug had I read what the possible side effects were. Sad part know one knows how to treat the side effects and they could be permanent."

Greg L July 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a UTI with some blood showing in my urine prior to taking two 500mg Cipro tabs a day. Which I took for 3-4 days. I went for a short 1/2 mile walk. Toward the end of the walk I started limping as my right inner foot arch was becoming more and more painful to the point I couldn't walk efficiently anymore. I limped back home trying to figure out why was I having all the pain in my foot? As I didn't twist or turn it or anything like that? I stopped taking the Cipro and the tendon pain in my foot lessened each day. Cipro removed the infection, but it left me with permanent plantar fascia tendon damage in my foot. I wouldn't recommend Cipro to anyone. The first side effect listed is causes tendon damage-ruptures. Not good people/FDA."

Bill Dude June 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have had serious UTI infections for almost ten years now. Cipro works great to get rid of them. But I have been prescribed it so much that I am immune to it. I have also developed a bad neuropathy in my left leg and foot that goes into my toes and hurts really bad. Started about three years ago after years of Cipro use. I read there is a lawsuit going on for Cipro and another antibiotic that I have taken for this reason, but I have not joined in the lawsuit. Use this drug with extreme caution and not for long periods of time."

Katy17 June 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was lucky enough to get most of the side effects from this drug. For the first two weeks, I lost my ability to walk. My entire body went numb (including my face), I had crippling anxiety, insane nightmares, and all of my major tendons were damaged. I had so much fatigue that I slept 18hrs a day. Thankfully, I was only sick for four months, but I lost my job and had to move back in with my parents. Now, I am okay. 0/10 would recommend. Even if you don't get a reaction the first time you take it, it is NOT WORTH TAKING. My friend's achilles heels ruptured after her fifteenth round having no problems before that. Take another antibiotic or eat some garlic. I had $3000 in med bills"

MIVP (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a 25 year old woman and I was prescribed cipro for a UTI. I got 250mg twice daily for three days. I got this yesterday and today I've taken three pills in total. I have a horrid fear of vomiting, I become suicidal when I think I'm going to be sick. So I'm very particular and paranoid about my antibiotics. I usually respond well to antibiotics but not this! I didn't vomit, thank goodness but three pills in and I'm lightheaded, light sensitive, bloated like no other, abdominal pain and kinda nauseous, itchy and muscle pain. Not to mention my anxiety is sky high! I'm writing this before my current panic attack makes me unable to write. Hope these side effects leave and don't stay! Very paranoid!"

Spooks April 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a mild UTI that I was trying to treat naturally, but it didn't go away. So, I was forced to try an antibiotic. I was prescribed Cipro for 5 days. I had no side effects at all and felt 100% by day 3. I continued taking them through the 5th day even though all symptoms were already gone."

Del1979 February 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug, like so many countless victims before me, has so effectively degraded my quality of life that I simply lack words to describe how important it is to be cautious before consumption of this deadly poison. I had a simple UTI at the age of 17; two weeks later my head began to throb and tingle. My hands were in so much unexplainable pain. I had never experienced anything like this at all before in my life. Also, I had just recently triumphed over a five year battle with anorexia, going from 76 lbs to 105lbs - looking forward to a healthy future. Now, I experience this nonstop, chronic pain all over my body. I am only 18. Definitely a 0.5 out of 10, to be quite honest with you lot."

Jaina Sedek February 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Despite all the side effects that are plaguing other users, I believe Cipro is worth a try - it is the most effective antibiotic I have been prescribed for UTI, and I experience little to no side effects. The only time I tried to take Macrobid, I experienced fever, nausea, muscle pain, dizziness, and had to call in sick to work last-minute because I'd slept through the whole day prior. So considering alternatives, I trust Cipro for MY use."

SavSav January 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Terrible fatigue and dizziness. Stomach cramps"

VLM-53 January 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was panicked reading all these reviews but it worked great for me and got rid of my Uti after 3 other useless antibiotics. Bit of usual antibiotic side effects eg stomach pain but nothing really bad and nothing that lasted."

Katiekatt (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had UTI two years ago, I had prescribed myself Cipro. It was very painful UTI. I felt better within less than 24 hours. CIPRO is amazing antibiotic for UTI. I never had any side effects. Reading others experience is scary. I am currently on cipro again since yesterday because I have UTI again. 500 mg every 12 hours. I had 3 pills so far. No noticeable side effects. If don't feel improvement yet. I hope my UTI clear up completely by end of the treatment course (5 days)."

Big beast (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I get chronic UTI's and kidney infections. I recently found out that my chronic infections have led to scarring of my left kidney and both ureters so I go in for a cystoscopy and Videourodynamics in December. Cipro is the only thing that works for me. It works fast too. I usually get bad headaches with this medicine, but I am prone to headaches as well...lucky me. I always make sure I take good probiotics when I am on this medicine to replenish the gut flora. Bactrim is weak and never works...Cipro is the only thing that works for me and my body. Everyone's body is different so do your research and talk to your doctor about your concerns."

Annie BananaHead November 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Before taking Cipro I was a powerlifter after taking Cipro I was left unable to walk. MY tendon's are torn and I don't know if I will ever have my life back. I am currently in a wheel chair."

Sam FJ (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Cipro works well for me without incurring any noticeable negative side effects. Strangely though, I get many of the terrible side effects described by some here when taking levofloxacin - the insomnia, the crippling panic attacks, etc. It just goes to show, I suppose, how differently these meds affect different individuals."

her der September 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Neuropathy and about 25 different side effects dealing with neuropathy that lasted over 2 years. Stay away from this drug"

Amber0411 (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It is good for UTI but it's not good for the body at all!! the second day I started having muscle problems, sleeping problems, anxiety..."

Xime3778 August 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Unfortunately I get UTI's more often than I should. I have taken a 10 day prescription of Cipro, 500mg every 12 hours for a bad UTI, and I couldn't get past 5 days of it. I was just prescribed Cipro, one 500mg pill (because my doctor believed that this medications side effects were too common and powerful). Within 24 hours, my UTI symptoms cleared up BUT, in the past two nights, I have barely slept. I have bad stomach cramping and diarrhea. And headaches. Not fun to say the least. It will do a good job knocking out the infection, but the side effects are just crappy. I also learned that with this medication, some times less is more."

Cipro for a UTI August 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"While Cipro may clear up my UTI it triggered my seizure potential and lowered my seizure threshold. It also can interfere with seizure meds which isn't cool for me as it can cause seizures in people with previous head trauma too. Lastly, if also taken with NSAIDS like ibuprofen or aspirin it can raise risk. Use extreme caution if have history of seizures!!!!"

Cipro (the good n bad) August 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Not a fan. Went to urgent care for a particularly painful UTI and was prescribed cipro and immediately took the first dose. The plus side is it started working almost immediately. 24 hours later and I'm about 90% better already. However after taking the second pill I developed some slight nausea and then several hours later noticed some muscle pain in my calves and behind my knees and it has now spread to my shoulders and wrists. After reading that cipro can cause serious and permanent damage I quit using it immediately and asked to be switched to a different antibiotic. Not worth it!"

Samalam1216 August 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Every time i get a UTI they put me on Bactrim and it doesn't help at all. Then they will put me on Cipro and it gets the job done. So now I tell the doctor I want Cipro for a UTI."

Muddygirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 3, 2016