User Reviews for Levaquin

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Levaquin.

Kidney Infections

Skin or Soft Tissue Infection
3.8

Summary of Levaquin reviews 5.5 326 reviews

Reviews for Levaquin

For Urinary Tract Infection "I have taken this medication twice for a UTI. The first time I had no side effects and it got rid of the UTI as well as a very mild sinus infection I didn't realize I had. The second time I went on it I only took one dose. About a half hour after taking the dose I was really jittery and hyper and hadn't consumed any caffeine but I didn't really think much of it. The restlessness got worse and at around 8 I started having olfactory hallucinations. I also started thinking my husband was plotting against me and I had insomnia. It was a miserable night. At around 1 in the morning it started to wear off and I realized I was having some sort if psychiatric side effect and then read that was a possible side effect. I stopped taking it and it completely wore off within a couple days. I called and left a message for the Dr and also sent a detailed email to her and she never followed up with me....oh well."

JLWdbry February 17, 2018

For Pneumonia "I'm on my 5th and final day of the Levofloxacin 750. I've never had anxiety issues or insomnia in my life, but from the moment I started it began. What kept me going with this was I know I needed it to clear up my infection, from the 2nd day on my coughing and phlegm is at a bare minimum. So while it's working it's dealing with being amped up so to speak. The doc also has me on Prenisone 10mg x2 a day which just increases the feelings that I've dealt with. But for those of you out there I tried Benadryl 1 tab at night since the 3rd night and I was actually able to sleep these last couple of nights a little."

Delectriman (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2018

For Sinusitis "So many complaints about this I find comical. I just used this medication for sinus infection last week. Used it numerous times before. I still workout on it no issues. You people crying that now you have tendon pain years later have got it bad. Went snowboarding yesterday with kids on my last dose. Must have been a miracle because even though yeah I had diarrhea and didn’t have as much energy I still had a great time. Going to CrossFit after this response. To sum it up I never had issues with this medication. People’s posts are 100% different from my experience."

Shawn999 February 10, 2018

For Pneumonia "Let me start by saying when I was prescribed this med the reviews on here scared the stuffing out of me. I had been on other antibiotics for pneumonia for about a week and they did nothing. Dr wanted something stronger and gave me rx for Levaquin..plus oral steroids and inhaler. The only side effect I noticed was it was hard to sleep. (restless/jumpy) this could have been from the steroids also. I had no nausea or dizziness. No joint pain etc that a lot of the reviewers have noted. I did expect to feel better sooner rather than later with this strong antibiotic, however it did take the full 10 days and a few more to really start feeling better. I was happy with the outcome (and not needing to be in the hospital). I would not hesitate to take this medicine again. I had a clear chest xray on the 10th day. Levaquin did its job."

twinmom93 January 29, 2018

For Pneumonia "I had a lung infection and the Dr put me on 5 day/750 elevation. It completely took away lung infection. The only thing was the insomnia, vivid nightmares and a bit pain in left upper leg but like nothing. I recommend it if infection is bad! For the nightmares I been taking xanax which helps"

Maui boy January 24, 2018

For Sinusitis "Earlier this week I was prescribed levofloxacin for sinus infection. I took one dose. I strength train and diet year round. I haven't felt like working out since I took it Monday. Very fatigued and weak. Last night I became extremely sensitive to cold. My hands became incredibly numb and cold and there was no blood in my fingers for the first couple inches. There's a poisonous taste in my mouth that won't go away and I have a rash on my back and my chest. My achilles tendons are so tight I'm afraid I'll rupture them."

Honeybadger1975 (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2018

For Bronchitis "I was diagnosed with bronchitis today and given this for the first time. After reading the very long scary list of side effects and these reviews I am not taking it. I didn’t see my regular doctor and I think they just give you their drug of choice. He also gave me steroid shot and oral pack and Rosephin shot. I have Bactrim so I’m taking that instead. Thank you everyone for the heads up. I am 64 and I believe doctors don’t always do their home work for older patients. Even Corisdine HBP sent me to the ER With 140 pulse and hypertension after one dose. I don’t think taking this drug is worth the risk."

CPI January 17, 2018

For Sinusitis "Took one day and felt so sick so I pulled up information. This medicine has been given a black box warning by the FDA!! I immediately stopped using and am requesting something else. There’s other options so this drug is not worth it"

A mom of 1 January 12, 2018

For Pneumonia "Had some side effects. Mostly sore joints some diarrhea. First round of antibiotics did not work azrithomyacin. Seemed better after first pill."

pneo January 8, 2018

For Pneumonia "I have had pneumonia seven times the past ten years due to asthma and being a teacher, and the only medicine that has helped it has been levaquin. Never had any tendon issues or soreness although I have heard of the risk. At this point, I'd rather take tendon issues than be in a hospital fighting pneumonia with whatever meds and high hospital bills. I attribute a better reaction to it, however, to being fit and eating clean. You can't blame a reaction solely on a particular medication. There are so many other variables."

TeacherRia December 19, 2017

For Pneumonia "I had pneumonia & had been sick for 2 weeks. The Dr. had prescribed another antibiotic & steroids first. When I wasn't better, the Dr. prescribed Levaquin. The first day was ok, just really tired. The second day I started having joint pain & my ribs were really hurting (not from coughing)& still really exhausted. By the third day I could barely walk because of my knees being so swollen & painful & hard to breathe because of the rib pain. Called the Dr. & he said to get off of it & come in for blood tests. I have been off of it for almost 2 weeks & still can barely walk & the ribs are still really sore. After reading the rest of the stories, it makes me very angry that this drug and it's family is still out there to harm people. RIDICULOUS!"

Rnchrgrl November 23, 2017

For Pneumonia "I was diagnosed with pneumonia and was given levaquin 750 mg for 10 days. I'm on day 6 and everyday I get fever, shivers and chills not to mention the extremely bad headaches!!I'm going to let levaquin go !! I am going to throw the rest of the pills. I have no idea how do they prescribe it!"

Levaquinnleavemealone November 19, 2017

For Sinusitis "I took Levaquin 750mg for 3 days and two days later I still feel light headed, nauseated, chills, can’t concentrate, no energy. Overall horrible. "

Chuli November 9, 2017

For Sinusitis "I found this to be a wonderful medicine for my sinusitis. I was on Augmentin for 2 weeks and didn't completely take away the infection. The Levaquin stopped the infection in 3 days. I have used a number of times and luckily have had none of the problems others have had."

SallyO420 October 12, 2017

For Bronchitis "I am over 60 years old, have afib with medication, have rheumatoid arthritis on medication. I was given levaquin to take for bronchitis infections and ear infection previously treated with zpac. I only took two pills, and had tendon problems in my legs so bad I could barely walk, I quit taking immediately, it took a while to get over the pain in my legs. I should never have been given it due to pre existing conditions and age."

sicksandi October 10, 2017

For Pneumonia "I was prescribed Levaquin for pneumonia. After two days I felt so much better. I had some lower back pain which I expected as I know medications well. I am a practicing RN for 23 years. My appetite was poor but has improved. I had some mouth pain with probable thrush related to the antibiotic. 750 mg x 5 days was worth it!!"

Nurcyn (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection "I took one dose of levaquin and had an immediate anaphylactic response - within minutes my eyes were swollen shut and I was gasping for breath...had a rescue squad not been close to me I would have died. This epic side effect left me with a permanent numb area on the left side of my face and dropping eyelid. From talking to a dr who was gathering information about quinolone reactions, the numbness on the left side of my face is from damage to the central nervous system. This class of drugs has been wisely banned in many countries."

Mrs Zefo September 24, 2017

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection "Was given Levaquin for lingering lung bronchial condition. After 7 days. I was feeling 10x worse. At first I thought I had the flu. Headache fever achy all over no energy just weak. Then my shoulder joints started hurting so bad I could cry. On a pain score 1-10 I was at a 15 and I've had 4 kids and rods in my back. I contacted the Dr who told me to stop taking this Medication. That iris known for pain in joints. Well I'm 2 weeks out. Still in pain all the way down both arms. Sleeping on a heating pad and taking pain medication. My original complaint seems minor compared to this. Dr says 4-6 weeks to get it out of your system. I am Miserable. Can't lift my arms. "

Tina P. (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection "My infections have not been simple cases of uncomplicated UTI, they progressed rapidly into Pyelonephritis. Levaquin should not be the 1st med prescribed for various UNcomplicated infections (think "Resistance") nor should providers refuse to prescribe it. I understand the FDA black box warning, I accept that risk. Problem is, we can literally "google" any drug and find every possible side effect to convince ourselves that the medication is to blame. Yes, Levaquin can be riskier (elderly, drug interactions, etc.) I've fortunately only had diarrhea (most antibiotics cause this-Google that) as a side effect. My doctor recommended taking probiotics along with an antibiotic, and it helps. Google that, too. Levaquin isn't evil."

Twynlyn September 21, 2017

For Otitis Media "I took 3 doses of levaquin and stopped it. I now have joint pain, constant tendonitis and vision problems. I hold Drs accountable for all of the damage done by this class of drug. For God's sake levaquin is used to treat anthrax infections, it should NOT be used for ear infections, UTIs or sinus infections. It should only be used if the other option is death. I'm serious, if you have a life threatening infection, use it because you have nothing to lose from it but otherwise never take it."

Todd Z August 21, 2017

For Pneumonia "Levaquin and its generic are Fluoroqunilone antibiotics. The FDA has issued a Black Box Warning -- the most severe warning it can issue -- on all Fluoroquinolone antibiotics because they cause so many horrible, longterm side effects (like permanent tendonitis, vision problems, and more). Fluoroqunilones break down the mitochondria of cells, leading to cell death. This damage cannot be reversed."

TPera (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2017

For Bladder Infection "Last night I panicked from side effects from this antibiotic I'm taking for a UTI! The first couple days I felt a tingling/electric feeling & muscle twitches all over my body, was restless, and woke a few times during the night. Tonight was my 3rd dose & the electric pins and needles/skin crawling feeling was intense and affected my ENTIRE body (I could feel it in my ear lobes and my eyes!), muscle spasms & twitches, uncontrollable shaking, hard to get a deep breath, hard to swallow, hard to talk, my tongue felt fat, jaw clenching, stuttering, dry mouth, stiff calf muscles, the arches of my feet were twitching, my rib muscles were cramping, paranoia, hearing things, difficulty thinking. Hope no permanent damage! I'm a fit 29-year-old."

Kristina E. (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2017

For Sinusitis "Took for sinus infection in 2009. At the time I wasn't warned that strenuous activity could cause permanent damage while on this med. I torn a muscle so bad it wouldn't heal. Immediately began getting neuropathy. It progressed and worsened over time. Now... after 8 years, it's finally taken over my body's nervous system and enlarged trunk lines of nerve paths all over body. Hands are numb, feet are numb, sharp pains all over, torn muscle is now a grizzle and emits sharp debilitating pain. Polyneuropathy is progressing slowing but surely. Had to stop working because of pain. Taking Lyrica and NSAIDs... doesn't help much. At end of road! No cure... doctors says it reminds them of exposure to agent orange... DO NOT USE THIS DRUG!"

Disabled... took 8 years! (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2017

For Pneumonia "This is horrible medicine. My arms are so sore can hardly move them I have never ached so bad."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2017

For Kidney Infections "I was prescribed this for a kidney infection. I took one dose. With that dose I felt so sick to my stomach, had horrible anxiety, my face felt hot and I felt sweaty. My calves of my legs also felt sore. I stopped after that first dose because I felt so awful and read some pretty scary side effects! I went to a different Dr and he put me on doxy which is much safer."

Koober1 (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2017