User Reviews for Levaquin

Levaquin has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 398 ratings on Drugs.com. 40% of those users who reviewed Levaquin reported a positive effect, while 44% reported a negative effect.

Sinusitis
Chlamydia Infection
Summary of Levaquin reviews 5.2 398 reviews

Reviews for Levaquin

Glor · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2021

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “Caused anaphylaxis shock”

Beafraid January 15, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I only took one pill. Within minutes I had a reaction. One dose was enough to make my face red as a tomato, sore all over, and light hallucinations. Doctor said 95% have no problem. But, I notice in these reviews 41% were negative. It did clear up my infection though! Surprised it’s still on the market.”

jbw · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2020

For Prostatitis: “I also had Prostatitis. Changed to Levaquin after the Cipro wouldn't cure it. I also experienced severe tendonitis which my doctor never mentioned. I usually read the adverse affects labels before taking but I had non on the levaquin. About a week in on the medication I had to stop taking and moved on to another antibiotic. I continued to have side effects after discontinuance and still suffer from the tendonitis today. Having said that I had not been experiencing any problems with my tendons prior to taking this other then occasionally from over exertion. Now it is something I live with on a daily basis. Age 63 when taking in 2018. Now 12/18/2020.”

nick787 · Taken for less than 1 month April 14, 2013

For Sinusitis: “I have had sinus infection problem for past 5-6 years. I typically get it around Spring time when my allergies are bad and then I get cold infection and then body gives up. Doctor prescribed 500 mg Amoxicilin 2 times a day. Took for 7 days. On 9th day, Sinus infection came back with fever, congestion, sneezing, etc. Doctor then put me on Cefdinir - 250 mg 2 times a day. Show improvement first 2 days. Cleared nose so that at-least I started breathing again. On 5th day it stopped working. Sinus would not clear. Doctor then changed me to Levaquin, 500 mg, once a day. Huge improvement on day 1 itself. On Day 2-70%. Day 3-80%, Day 4-90%, Day 5th-100%. Make sure to complete 7-10 days treatment. Drink lots of fluid. No muscle pain/tendinitis.”

Anonymous January 25, 2011

For Pneumonia: “I am in the medical field and this is by far the best antibiotic you can get outside of the hospital. If you have a bacterial infection in your lungs and you want it to clear up right away then this is the medicine for you. On the downside it is a very expensive but at some point you get tired of being sick and realize it is worth every single penny. You will be well in no time!”

JennfreakingJen August 27, 2013

For Sinusitis: “I was very nervous when I was prescribed this medicine due to some other reviews I have read. I have had a sinus infection for the last 5 weeks and didn't clear up with the first round of Amoxicillin. I was given 500 mg of Levaquin for 10 days. I'm on day 9 and the sinus infection is completely gone. It took about 5 days for it to really start working. The only side effects I had were low appetite and trouble sleeping. The trouble sleeping was hard to deal with but I offset it with Unisom and that seemed to do the trick. I also took the medicine after lunch instead of right before bed. No upset stomach like I normally get with antibiotics. Would definitely use again and recommend.”

Punky33 May 9, 2013

For Bronchitis: “Two years ago I suffered with chronic pneumonia for over a year. It seemed my GP couldn't be bothered to figure out why I wasn't getting better. (I later found out she had never prescribed Levaquin to people, nor did she know that this was a medicine that should be considered when the first "go to" antibiotics don't work. Finally, after another ER visit I sought the advice of a great pulmonologist who prescribed 750mg of Levaquin for a 10-day course. I started feeling better immediately and it was the last antibiotic I had to take because it finally knocked out the pneumonia. I had no side effects. I have pneumonia again and went straight to Levaquin. I now request it & is the only antibiotic I'll take for these types of infections.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 5, 2012

For Bronchitis: “Levaquin is the only antibiotic that works for me when I get either bronchitis or pneumonia. I take 750mg for 10 days and I swear by it. I've been taking it for years with no noticeable side effects. I am now 62.”

Bigsky · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2019

For Pneumonia: “Have been fighting upper respiratory & sinus since the end of Jan. Even after 3 antibiotics, steroids etc I ended up with pneumonia. Dr at the ER gave me Levaquin & within 4 days I was beginning to feel like my old self. My only adverse reaction is nausea but you deal with the bad if the good outweighs the bad.”

Elmo · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “I took this drug Levaquin after several other drugs failed to cure a severe skin infection. I was told it was an antibiotic resistant infection. I was put on a 500mg dose for two weeks. The first night, I had the most severe body cramps I had ever experienced in my life. They went from my neck to my toes and diagonally across my body. I thought I was going to die or that I would be better off dead it was that severe. I started to have other symptoms like severe pain in my wrists, ankles and tendons. By the end of the first week I could no longer walk unassisted. I couldn't even rest my hands on a shopping cart because of the severe pain it caused in my wrists. The Levaquin side effects lasted almost a year - I was incapacitated for almost a year before I could walk again.”

Anonymous October 18, 2012

For Sinusitis: “I love Levaquin. No other antibiotic even touches my sinus infections. My head starts to drain within hours of the first pill. Sinus pressure that I didn't even realize I had starts to go away the first day. The dose is generally only 1 pill a day, which makes things easy to remember. Often I will have sinus problems after dental work. I take Levaquin and my sinuses aren't irritated, don't swell and my teeth hurt less. I highly recommend this antibiotic. The only problems I ever experienced were occasional dry mouth and mild diarrhea on the first day.”

scholastic1500 February 22, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I was given Levaquin for a urinary tract infection after first trying Bactrim, which didn't work. I was really worried to use Levaquin because I read alot of bad reviews for it. However, the only effect I had was that I felt speedy the first day I took it. Subsequent days, I did not have this problem and I made sure to take it in the morning so it wouldn't affect my sleep. It cured my infection wonderfully, and I had no upset stomach or yeast infection after effects. Three months later, I got another urinary tract infection, and Levaquin again did the trick. I really like this antibiotic!”

BuzzMuzz March 6, 2013

For Sinusitis: “I was given Levaquin for a persistent sinus infection. By the time I saw the doctor it was almost two months of sinus problems that were just getting worse. I was put on a 14 day regimen. For me, Levaquin worked. It took about 8 days for the sinus pain to start going away, and another 7-8 days for complete clear up of the infection (no runny nose, no sinus pain around the eyes, etc.). I heard some people have much quicker turn-around times for getting better, but at least it worked. I had no side-effects at all, not even upset stomach, like I get with other antibiotics.”

Z'sla January 1, 2016

For Sinusitis: “Levaquin is my miracle prescription for sinus infections. I usually get 2 really nasty sinus infections a year-Levaquin is the ONLY antibiotic that had worked for me. I have never had any side effects, other than getting well! I always take It exactly as prescribed: 1 per day, (for 10 days), with lots of water.”

Foxhound21 March 16, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “Started on generic levaquin for testicular pain that didn't respond to other treatments. 500mg 1x a day for 10 days. Felt a little off the first 3 days but manageable. By day 4 and 5 I was having chest pain, left arm numbness, and severe panic attacks. Ended up in the ER. They told me it was the levaquin but to keep taking it. After getting home I continued to have unprovoked panic attacks and wasn't able to regulate my body temp. Today is supposed to be day 6 but I'm not taking this rubbish anymore. It may be helping the testicle pain (I'm taking it for Epididymitis) but I'd rather be in pain than feel how I feel now. I'm 31 and feel like I'm 70. Gonna keep drinking fluids and hope for the best. Hopefully no lasting damage from this medicine. I'm sure it works good but I really wish my doctor had warned me about what could happen.”

Ewock · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2014

For Pneumonia: “Was sick for a week with pneumonia and went to urgent care. 102F fever, cough, no appetite, severe fatigue. Prescribed Levaquin and started feeling better in 2-3 days. Fatigue and cough continued for several weeks. Lost 7 pounds. I did not experience any side effects at all. Would highly recommend this medication.”

Michaela · Taken for less than 1 month October 4, 2018

For Pneumonia: “My husband had the very beginning of pneumonia (doctor almost didn't recognize it on the xray). After taking 1 dose of Levaquin he started having seizures. He developed Torsades de Pointes which is a heart condition. Spent a week in the hospital and died 2 weeks later from an enlarged heart. He never had heart problems before this. He was 50 years old.”

Snoop5118 April 5, 2013

For Pneumonia: “After six hours I began to feel relief. After day four, I'm close to 100% cured...but I have six more days to take Levaquin 750mg. I'm also eating a cup of yogurt per day. Make sure you drink lots of water with this medicine or you will feel horrible! Otherwise, I love it.”

R8DERMAN · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2015

For Sinusitis: “I now rarely get sick but I've had sinusitis for years due to my allergies. I've found out from my experience with sinus infections that there is no better drug than LEVAQUIN for killing a sinus infection. I just went to the doctor for my ears being clogged for about 4 weeks now and she said I have fluid behind my ear drums and prescribed me 7 days of Levaquin 500mg. I'm about to start taking it tonight and in a few days I'll see results... I've used it a number of times for bad sinus infections and it never fails to work w/ no side effects that I can see. Great drug. : )”

K.Charlene.T · Taken for less than 1 month July 24, 2013

For Pneumonia: “Went to the ER with severe coughing, chest pains and fever. After Xrays, CT scan and blood tests, I was diagnosed with pneumonia. The doc started me on Levaquin via IV and gave me a 5 day dose of 750mg. I am on day 4 and feel SO much better! Still coughing a little, but nothing compared to before!”

DJ · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “They gave this to my father in the hospital for an infection he didn't really have. The culture came back negative. Within about 3 doses, he went from being an athletic person that walked a mile every day and did his own lawn work to a person that needed help getting up to go to the bathroom. It took years of physical therapy so that he could walk and now uses a walker. He never did completely recover. Levaquin and Cipro are both very dangerous drugs. The FDA nearly banned it but opted to put a warning on the label instead. If your doctor tries to give levaquin to you, ask for something else. Its that bad.”

LinZee55 · Taken for less than 1 month May 11, 2014

For Bronchitis: “This is the third time I had asthmatic bronchitis and using Levaquin. First time I had been given Biaxin which not only didn't work but I almost had to be hospitalized. Then prescribed Levaquin and by the fifth day felt 100% better. Side effects get less with each day.(Mine are stomach upset and drowsiness) But without this medicine I would need oxygen. Thanks there are better options.”

Kansaschai · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2018

For Sinusitis: “My doctors will try everything but this medication. Every. Single. Time. It gets old. I get prednisone, nasal washes, low dose antibiotics, all in vain. Currently I have been suffering for two weeks and once again, the whole protocol that doesn't work. Finally able to get the Levaquin last night and feel so much better after only one dose. The congestion in my sinuses is finally breaking loose. I have taken this medication for years and knock on wood, so far, no problems.”

Anonymous February 16, 2012

For Bronchitis: “I have had both bronchitis and pneumonia at least every other year for the past 20 or so years. Out of all of those illnesses I was given Levaquin twice and can not understand why it wasn't perscribed more. I didn't have any side effects at all. In fact, my recovery time with this medicine was marked in days and not weeks like the other perscriptions! One year I actually lost 3 weeks of work (could have actually used more time but I didn't have any time left). I'm actually battling bronchitis right now and when I asked why Levaquin wasn't prescribed since it has worked so well in the past, the doctor just looked at me and said he prefers the Amoxicillin. Fine for him....he's not stuck in bed coughing up lungs!”

Amymby August 21, 2016

For Bronchitis: “I am very shocked at all the remarks about the horrible side effects of this medicine. I am again taking it, as it is the only antibiotic that really does kick the infection. I did notice years ago when I was prescribed 750mg, it made me light headed, dizzy....so since then I ask for 500mg, and it is just the perfect dose for my body. I rate Lefofloxacin at a 10. I have never experienced any of the side effects people have mentioned, like tendinitis, metal taste, nausea, etc., and anyone I know who has taken it hasn't complained of any negative aspects of the med either. I recommend it at 500mg, but would maybe steer clear of the 750mg. That one is just so strong.”

healthy&well · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2019

For Pneumonia: “I have taken Levaquin twice in the past 2 years. The first time I went to the doctor with fever and chills, chest X-ray and labs revealed pneumonia and a kidney infection. I was getting close to being septic. My doctor sent me home with Levaquin and ask me to return in a few days to follow up. I told one dose and felt a million times better. On the 3rd day I felt fine and returned to the doctor who confirmed I was much better. The second time I got sick with an ear infection and I flat out requested Levaquin it works so well for me.”

Sel · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2020

For Sinusitis: “500MG x 1 a day. I took one pill. I was warned about the black box by my doctor but, I don't even know if that matters at this point. I experienced extreme tendon, joint and ligament swelling for over 48 hours. That was nothing tho, compared to the nerve pain in my arms and extreme weakness. Three days later since taking just one and the weakness/electric shocks are now in my legs too. I can't even hold a glass or balance myself properly while walking. Just typing is difficult. My doctor basically told me "This could get better, this could get worse or it could just never change. There's no treatment and people improve or don't at different rates from anywhere to weeks to months to years." TL;DR: Don't take Levaquin, even if you have handled Cipro in the past. It's not worth it, unless it's an emergency and life threatening infection. I now have to just hope I improve.”

Breee · Taken for less than 1 month August 5, 2014

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I am allergic to a lot of antibiotics (and always get side effects!) and get sick a lot. I used to take Z-Packs almost once a month and now I wonder why I hadn't tried Levaquin sooner! This is my 3rd time on Levaquin this year. I took it twice for my chronic ear infection with success. The first time my joints felt like I was an arthritic old lady! The 2nd time I had only some ankle and finger pain. I'm on day 1 today for a urinary tract infection and ear infection from a water park. I can feel it working and I have no joint pain.”