User Reviews for Levaquin

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Levaquin.

Kidney Infections

Skin or Soft Tissue Infection
3.8

Summary of Levaquin reviews 5.4 315 reviews

Reviews for Levaquin

For Pneumonia "I was diagnosed with pneumonia and was given levaquin 750 mg for 10 days. I'm on day 6 and everyday I get fever, shivers and chills not to mention the extremely bad headaches!!I'm going to let levaquin go !! I am going to throw the rest of the pills. I have no idea how do they prescribe it!"

Levaquinnleavemealone November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis "I took Levaquin 750mg for 3 days and two days later I still feel light headed, nauseated, chills, can’t concentrate, no energy. Overall horrible. "

Chuli November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis "I found this to be a wonderful medicine for my sinusitis. I was on Augmentin for 2 weeks and didn't completely take away the infection. The Levaquin stopped the infection in 3 days. I have used a number of times and luckily have had none of the problems others have had."

SallyO420 October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis "I am over 60 years old, have afib with medication, have rheumatoid arthritis on medication. I was given levaquin to take for bronchitis infections and ear infection previously treated with zpac. I only took two pills, and had tendon problems in my legs so bad I could barely walk, I quit taking immediately, it took a while to get over the pain in my legs. I should never have been given it due to pre existing conditions and age."

sicksandi October 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pneumonia "I was prescribed Levaquin for pneumonia. After two days I felt so much better. I had some lower back pain which I expected as I know medications well. I am a practicing RN for 23 years. My appetite was poor but has improved. I had some mouth pain with probable thrush related to the antibiotic. 750 mg x 5 days was worth it!!"

Nurcyn (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I took one dose of levaquin and had an immediate anaphylactic response - within minutes my eyes were swollen shut and I was gasping for breath...had a rescue squad not been close to me I would have died. This epic side effect left me with a permanent numb area on the left side of my face and dropping eyelid. From talking to a dr who was gathering information about quinolone reactions, the numbness on the left side of my face is from damage to the central nervous system. This class of drugs has been wisely banned in many countries."

Mrs Zefo September 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection "Was given Levaquin for lingering lung bronchial condition. After 7 days. I was feeling 10x worse. At first I thought I had the flu. Headache fever achy all over no energy just weak. Then my shoulder joints started hurting so bad I could cry. On a pain score 1-10 I was at a 15 and I've had 4 kids and rods in my back. I contacted the Dr who told me to stop taking this Medication. That iris known for pain in joints. Well I'm 2 weeks out. Still in pain all the way down both arms. Sleeping on a heating pad and taking pain medication. My original complaint seems minor compared to this. Dr says 4-6 weeks to get it out of your system. I am Miserable. Can't lift my arms. "

Tina P. (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "My infections have not been simple cases of uncomplicated UTI, they progressed rapidly into Pyelonephritis. Levaquin should not be the 1st med prescribed for various UNcomplicated infections (think "Resistance") nor should providers refuse to prescribe it. I understand the FDA black box warning, I accept that risk. Problem is, we can literally "google" any drug and find every possible side effect to convince ourselves that the medication is to blame. Yes, Levaquin can be riskier (elderly, drug interactions, etc.) I've fortunately only had diarrhea (most antibiotics cause this-Google that) as a side effect. My doctor recommended taking probiotics along with an antibiotic, and it helps. Google that, too. Levaquin isn't evil."

Twynlyn September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Otitis Media "I took 3 doses of levaquin and stopped it. I now have joint pain, constant tendonitis and vision problems. I hold Drs accountable for all of the damage done by this class of drug. For God's sake levaquin is used to treat anthrax infections, it should NOT be used for ear infections, UTIs or sinus infections. It should only be used if the other option is death. I'm serious, if you have a life threatening infection, use it because you have nothing to lose from it but otherwise never take it."

Todd Z August 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pneumonia "Levaquin and its generic are Fluoroqunilone antibiotics. The FDA has issued a Black Box Warning -- the most severe warning it can issue -- on all Fluoroquinolone antibiotics because they cause so many horrible, longterm side effects (like permanent tendonitis, vision problems, and more). Fluoroqunilones break down the mitochondria of cells, leading to cell death. This damage cannot be reversed."

TPera (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection "Last night I panicked from side effects from this antibiotic I'm taking for a UTI! The first couple days I felt a tingling/electric feeling & muscle twitches all over my body, was restless, and woke a few times during the night. Tonight was my 3rd dose & the electric pins and needles/skin crawling feeling was intense and affected my ENTIRE body (I could feel it in my ear lobes and my eyes!), muscle spasms & twitches, uncontrollable shaking, hard to get a deep breath, hard to swallow, hard to talk, my tongue felt fat, jaw clenching, stuttering, dry mouth, stiff calf muscles, the arches of my feet were twitching, my rib muscles were cramping, paranoia, hearing things, difficulty thinking. Hope no permanent damage! I'm a fit 29-year-old."

Kristina E. (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis "Took for sinus infection in 2009. At the time I wasn't warned that strenuous activity could cause permanent damage while on this med. I torn a muscle so bad it wouldn't heal. Immediately began getting neuropathy. It progressed and worsened over time. Now... after 8 years, it's finally taken over my body's nervous system and enlarged trunk lines of nerve paths all over body. Hands are numb, feet are numb, sharp pains all over, torn muscle is now a grizzle and emits sharp debilitating pain. Polyneuropathy is progressing slowing but surely. Had to stop working because of pain. Taking Lyrica and NSAIDs... doesn't help much. At end of road! No cure... doctors says it reminds them of exposure to agent orange... DO NOT USE THIS DRUG!"

Disabled... took 8 years! (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pneumonia "This is horrible medicine. My arms are so sore can hardly move them I have never ached so bad."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Kidney Infections "I was prescribed this for a kidney infection. I took one dose. With that dose I felt so sick to my stomach, had horrible anxiety, my face felt hot and I felt sweaty. My calves of my legs also felt sore. I stopped after that first dose because I felt so awful and read some pretty scary side effects! I went to a different Dr and he put me on doxy which is much safer."

Koober1 (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis "DO NOT USE THIS DRUG!!! I was prescribed Lavaquin for a sinus infection over 2 years ago & I am still suffering the side effects. The tendon pain was SO severe during & many months after finishing this med. Now, 2 & 1/2 years later, I still have severe tendon pain, stabbing, hot pain mostly in my wrists, hands & arms. I do not sleep through the night, due to the horrific pain & it persists constantly throughout the days! I have Achilles problems now & can not walk or stand up for any length of time. I am sure I have permanent tendon damage from this drug, which my doctor denies can be caused by this drug & wants to do further tests for autoimmune disease! Stay away from this drug it is poison and ruined my quality of life!!!!!!"

Another big pharm victim (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis "Had to stop after three days due to Achilles tenderness. Achilles still sore three weeks after stopping drug."

Roostertail59 June 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Kidney Infections "I took levoFLOXacin for ten days as the third antibiotic for a kidney infection. The first antibiotic cleared one bacteria and the 2nd and 3rd cleared up the 2nd bacteria. The only adverse reaction was to levoFLOXacin. About day 6, I woke during the night with pain in my right arm, from the upper arm to the top of my hand. I thought I'd slept on it wrong. But the pain continued, mostly in the upper arm until 2 days after I completed the regimen. Now, 2 weeks later, I continue to experience pain . If I carry anything the least bit heavy, the upper arm hurts. Yesterday I used it as little as possible but did use my right arm. I had some pain all the way to the top if my hand again. I had reaction to Cipro. I shouldn't have taken this drug."

Right arm (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pneumonia "I had been on another antibiotic for 3 weeks. When I went in for a recheck, I still had pneumonia, so was put on Levaquin for 5 days. The first day I took it in the morning & it made me light headed, so I decided to take it @ night. It would cause me to wake up throughout the night. I would also have a burning sensation in my chest & get hot. I went back in for a checkup & the x-ray showed that some parts had improved, but some parts were worse. I was referred to a pulmonologist. I feel like it was too strong for my body."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Kidney Infections "750 mg for 7 days home health and approx four days of hospitalization on levaquin. Drug is given once a day via IV. I am severely itchy at this point, not much is helping. Some temporary quick fixes with dr. Teals body oil. Last dose tomorrow, I feel weak, tired and have have the occasional muscle spasms accompiened by a nasty rash all over my legs, arms and stomach. It feels awful. I am ready to get off the meds tomorrow and hopefully the sleep insomnia will subside along with the muscle spasms."

Misses itch May 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sinusitis "This med has been effective but it has caused such bad joint stiffness that I can barely walk. My back, knees, ankles are in extreme pain. I also feel very dizzy and like I'm going to faint sometimes, really bad gas, and constipation. And, the fatigue is unreal. I can't seem to make anyone understand. I still feel sick now but in a different way. If I had not been so sick, I would not have taken this again. This has been my third levaquin experience. I just can't do it again."

SC Girl (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis "Wow!! Sicker than a dog yesterday. I had bronchitis and my Dr prescribed Levaquin. This morning already a marked improvement!! No side effects and on my way to feeling good as new!"

Wuzzwe May 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pneumonia "Although the levaquin did help my pneumonia symptoms, the side effects were terrible! I discontinued after 6 days, but still have side effects 3 weeks later! Severe foot pain and muscle spasms and unusual bleeding and bruising along with thinning of the skin. I have purple blood spots all over and my skin will tear with the slightest nick. The pain was up one entire leg but started in my foot. My foot hurts 24 hours a day with a burning feeling that does not respond to massage therapy. Pain pills are only minimally effective. I would never take it again. Also causes insomnia."

Anonymous May 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pneumonia "Age 63. I developed pneumonia from a respiratory infection passed on from my wife the school teacher. Once a day Levaquin knocked out the pneumonia in 5 days and an x-ray on day 7 my lungs were clear. On day 9 I developed tendonitis in my shoulder replacement that had been in place for 3 years. I was prescribed a high power NSAID by the orthopedic surgeon. After 3 weeks. I turned out fine."

PJI2000 (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pneumonia "This is Michael's daughter Elyssa. I am his voice now since he was misdiagnosed with double pneumonia and given Levaquin. IT KILLED HIM. What more do you need to know? Don't take it. "

Michael Goldmam May 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pneumonia "This drug is GARBAGE and should be taken off the Market. I was hospitalized with pneumonia. The doctor prescribed it for me when I was released from the hospital. It has destroyed my appetite as well as my stomach. I can't sleep. I am nauseous every day. I have 2 more doses to take. I decided not to take them. I can't tolerate all the side effects."

Conjos (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2017