User Reviews for Levaquin

Learn more about Levaquin.

Kidney Infections 11 reviews 93 medications

Skin or Soft Tissue Infection 5 reviews 161 medications

4.5
Summary of Levaquin reviews 273 reviews 5.9

Reviews for Levaquin

For Pneumonia "I was being treated for pneumonia. Levaquin seems too be knocking down the pneumonia down after two rounds of another antibiotic seemed ineffective. I m now 8 days out from my last dose and feel awful. The joint pain is horrific. I used to exercise, don't know if I will ever be able again. DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG. If your insurance allows opt for hospital care."

kredlady (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2016

For Sinusitis "I'm SUPER sensitive to medications. On 500mg for 5 days, had a sinus infection for about 6 weeks now. So far, I can't sleep really at all, but looks like you can take a Benadryl or something with it that may help you sleep. Will discuss with doctor. Hesitant about taking this because of all the comments here and the (black box warning) about the medication that everyone should read about Levofloxacin (google it). I'm feeling really scattered and can't focus mentally, insomnia and dizziness if I get up too quickly are the biggest issues. I am not taking any of my usual vitamins and no gym, but so far ok. Will update if any changes. *Update, I ended up having to cut the pills in half per doc ok. I felt so awful."

S-Line November 9, 2016

For Pneumonia "A HORRIBLE DRUG. BEWARE I was diagnosed with pneumonia one week ago at the local emergency room. The ER doctor gave me 1 pill of Levaquin and I took 2 more from the pharmacy. I took a total of 3 500 MG pills that gave me constant, deep, sore pain in my arms from my shoulders to my elbows. The pain was so bad on day 3 that I could hardly drive a car, put on a seatbelt, put on a shirt or turn on a light switch. I stopped taking the drug and went to my family doctor for a different antibiotic. Neither the ER doctor or the family doctor knew anything about muscle and tendon problems. I'm really angry about this. I am over 60 with no big health problems and don't appreciate being poisoned."

HG1954 (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2016

For Sinusitis "Works well, but I refrain from exercise when taking. It's the only antibiotic strong enough to cure bad sinus infections. Have taken it a couple of times for years with no issues except a little insomnia."

Beachrunner 63 September 30, 2016

For Sinusitis "I get a really tough Sinus infection each October and Early Spring like clock work. If I let the infection go too long without going to a Physician - I can be in bed with thick phlegm, headache, full head, and extreme fatigue for several weeks. Levaquin is the only medication that get rid of these infections. Walk in clinics never prescribe it%u2026 so have to wait to get in with my own GP. In Mexico you can buy it without a prescript - as I did last year on vacation when I came down with a Sinus infection but hence- as alot of things in Mexico - was a scam%u2026. sugar pills. The only side effect I have ever had was tendon pain - that cleared up relatively soon. This is the go-to for anyone suffering Chronic Sinus infections."

pianoman1966 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 29, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection "The short list of damage that fluoroquinolones (FQs) did to me includes blood clots, broken blood vessels, bloated failing veins carved from 13 entry points, erratic blood pressure, hemochromatosis, liver damage, kidney damage, pulmonary edema, collapsed lung, hernia, torn lumbar muscle, half dozen bulging discs when I had none a few years before, peripheral neuropathy, shrinking eyeballs, tinnitus, multi-chemical sensitivity, gastrointestinal distress, hair loss, crumbling teeth, nosebleeds, nails fall off, spontaneous tendon ruptures, cartilage transplant, ligament damage, cognitive impairment and horrific mental anguish, psychosis, anxiety attacks and hundreds of other bizarre health issues. Many surgeries, more to come until I die early"

Girardia (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2016

For Sinusitis "Lost 40% of Achilles' tendon! All my tendons in hands, feet shoulders, neck ---actually, all o we my body are sore all the time! Can't work out anymore, have a hard time doing housework, landscaping, sleeping, Can't open bottles. Put my bra on because of the soreness in my shoulder muscles etc. I hate this feeling all the time! I am not myself anymore. Used to be the poster child of health for a 69 year old"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2016

For Pneumonia "I started having trouble about 1 month after i finished my prescription. I have severe joint pain from my hips down. I was a very active person, walking 6-7 miles a day, now i barely get 2 because my feet & knees hurt so bad."

Char4u2lv September 15, 2016

For Kidney Infections "I have taken Levaquin on various occasions for uti.I never really had side effects after only a week of it. The improvement in the infection was pretty rapid and remarkable. In 2 days I felt better than I had in 3 months, so I was suffering from this uti off and on for awhile. Doxycycline and Keflex couldn't touch it. I consider Levaquin the gold standard for a uti. Unfortunately this time I had a kidney infection as well, so I was really miserable. However, if you take Levaquin for several weeks you can have tendon and muscle problems. but my gosh, you have to get rid of the infection or you'll die. so I recommend this over Cipro. Cipro sometimes has to be taken again. I always recommend Levaquin to people."

golfhat (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2016

For Pneumonia "Prescribed Levaquin for 5 days. 5 to 10 days after completing medication, which killed the pneumonia, I started to have joint pain. Now, over two months after taking this medication I am pretty much disabled. I have what is now called Fluoroquinolone induced tendonapathy in my shoulders, elbows, wrists, hips, knees and ankles. I also suffer from neurological changes that effect my sense of touch and I feel like I am suffering from mild electric shocks all over my body. I wish I would not have been given this antibiotic. It has slowly destroyed my quality of life."

WickedVision September 7, 2016

For Sinusitis "Omg. This medicine is scary. Had a very, very bad sinus infection. I was desperate for relief. A day after taking this medicine, I felt a stiffness in my neck. Thought nothing of it, maybe I slept on it wrong? Switched pillows. Next night, worse. Three days in, could barely stand the pain in my neck. Then it hit me that the medicine was causing the muscle/tendon issue. Also, this medicine made me seriously feel out of it. I had to stop after 4 days. I'd rather deal with the sinus infection."

Evrimbee August 27, 2016

For Pneumonia "Permanently damaged and disabled from 500mg x 2 levaquin. Check the black box warnings. I was healthy young person. Started experiencing side effects a few hours after administration. Adverse reactions got worse. it's been almost 5 YEARS and have bodywide peripheral neuropathy, bodywide tendonosis, dry mouth eyes, nose, tinnitus, crepitus all over. The drug is poison and destroys human as well as bacterial mtDNA. Just google "Fluoroquinolone toxicity." There are safer alternatives for pneumonia. Don't ruin your life with this garbage that the FDA has failed to remove from the market."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2016

For Bronchitis "I am very shocked at all the remarks about the horrible side effects of this medicine. I am again taking it, as it is the only antibiotic that really does kick the infection. I did notice years ago when I was prescribed 750mg, it made me light headed, dizzy....so since then I ask for 500mg, and it is just the perfect dose for my body. I rate Lefofloxacin at a 10. I have never experienced any of the side effects people have mentioned, like tendinitis, metal taste, nausea, etc., and anyone I know who has taken it hasn't complained of any negative aspects of the med either. I recommend it at 500mg, but would maybe steer clear of the 750mg. That one is just so strong."

Amymby August 21, 2016

For Pneumonia "Hospitalized with fever. Took it for 3 days. Doctor couldn't find out where or what type of bacteria I had. This medicine is definitely the highest form of antibiotic for bacteria or infected by anthrax. Leaves a bad foul nasty taste in your mouth and when you blow your nose. Made me so sick to my stomache, it made me cough up bad tasting phlemg and gag at the same time. Doctors need to really take this medicine more seriously. I refuse to take anymore of this crap."

Mindy lynne (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2016

For Sinusitis "I was given Levofloxacin 750 mg for 5 days, for a sinus infection. On the 5th day I started having Achille Tendon pain. I've been off the medication for 4 days and I now have some swelling in the area as well as pain. I have never had problems with my tendons. In my opinion taking the drug was a big mistake and one that I regret. From all I've read this condition may not go away for a year if it even goes away. For me the cure wasn't worth the horrible side effects. I won't take its again or anything else in the Fluoroquinolone family."

So Regretful August 15, 2016

For Bronchitis "I started the medication yesterday due to serve bronchitis that developed from an upper respiratory infection. After the first dose (just 30 minutes) I had to call an ambulance and take my epinephrine. My throat closed, I was unable to breathe and I was having sever pain on the left side of my chest. This medication is awful. I now have to go back to the doctors office and get something else that WON'T potentially kill me."

Anonymous August 10, 2016

For Pneumonia "Stay away from this medicine!!! It's horrible!!! It caused me to develop depersonalization/depression. It also made me feel anxious and confused. I really haven't been the same since I took it."

Jack1513 August 8, 2016

For Bacterial Infection "I was prescribed Levaquin 750 milligrams for bacterial conjunctivitis. It work when nothing else would. Two thumbs up"

Lusy52 August 6, 2016

For Kidney Infections "I was treated for kidney infection with 750 mg once a day for 7 days. Like other reviewers I had similar side effects ; terrible headaches , nausea, sleeplessness, aches in joints. I'm an avid tennis player and worry about tendon damage. I must admit the back pain is better in two days but still have frequent urination issues. The doctor ordered a culture which should be back soon and perhaps offer another alternative with fewer side effects."

10sgal July 24, 2016

For Sinusitis "I was prescribed Levaquin for acute bacterial sinusitis after going to my GP for a congested nose, sinus pressure and bad headaches and fatigue which lasted 7 days. He said this should clear it right up...After reading all the warning I was hesitant with my pharmacist but they assured me it's a normal antibiotic, nothing too strong as since I'm allergic to penicilin it's a great alternative. The horror began immediately on day one, the skin on my left arm shoulder area began to burn so badly, and my arm started to get numb, even my pinky finger I couldn't move. I obviously freaked out and called the doc, he said I'm having an allergic reaction to it, not to worry it won't cause any nerve damage. Switched to Zithromax, much better & safer :("

Kareem Dubai June 26, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "This last Monday I was detected by my doctor that I have a acute Cystitis. My doctor prescribed me lavoprolaxicin Levaquin for 6 days.. My nightmare start in day 3 when I couldn't even get up from my bed.. I was sore all over my body.. I couldn't even walk.. Only I took 4 pills and I feel that my life changed to the worst for this medication.. I went to ER and they gave me fluids to at least clean a little bit my system.. I got a CT scan of my kidneys, and bladder, liver and all results were normal..If doctors know those side effects why are they still prescribing this medicine. it's poison!! I . I'm still panicked !!I have faith that everything will be normal again.. Today is my day 1without the medication.. I'm walking better."

Hany V. June 11, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "My mother is 84 and was given this drug for a mild UTI. After 2 doses, she became so confused she didn't know where she was or who I was. Her muscles were so weak she could not move or stand. She was paranoid and manic at times. Her potassium dropped very low. She was in the hospital 4 days. They immediately took her of it, gave her IV's and potassium. Tested her for stroke and dementia, which were negative. She is home and better but it took several weeks. Not a good drug, especially for elderly. She now takes D-Mannose 1000mg/day, 2000mg for any UTI symptoms."

Sueshine (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2016

For Bronchitis "I woke up in the middle of the night after taking 3 doses (that's only 3 pills) in excruciating painit felt like someone had a huge sledgehammer and was slamming it against my left knee over and over again. The pain was so bad I even vomited. This pain lasted for weeks and I know have chronic tendonitis in that knee and am in constant pain. Some days are better, but it's a constant pain and it's always swollen. It's been like this since 2009, it is now 2016. This class of drugs is toxic and should never be used as a 1st line of attack for infections; it shouldn't be used at all. Don't ever take this drug or the others like it, they are called the "Fluroquinolones" which also includes Cipro, Avelox to name a few."

Topias (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2016

For Pneumonia "Ruptured tendons..."

Anonymous May 23, 2016

For Sinusitis "I cannot give Levaquin a good rating. I was a healthy, active college student minoring in dance when I took this for a sinus infection. After a few pills it completely destroyed my life, for an infection that would have cleared on its own. No more than hour of sleep for over a year due to neurological damage that destroyed my sleep cycle. It gave me dysautonomia so now I have tachycardia, POTS, heat intolerance, & all sorts of crazy problems. I got peripheral neuropathy, but it got better over the years. Still I am limited in what I can do, cannot fulfill my dreams, and miss going out in the summer since the heat intolerance causes me to not sweat but actually respond like I have heat exhaustion. No more laying on the beach in July...ever."

Great Lakes Gal May 12, 2016