User Reviews for Levaquin to treat Bronchitis

Levaquin has an average rating of 5.4 out of 10 from a total of 66 ratings for the treatment of Bronchitis. 42% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 45% reported a negative effect.

Levaquin Rating Summary

5.4/10 average rating

Compare all 93 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Levaquin

Punky33 May 9, 2013

“Two years ago I suffered with chronic pneumonia for over a year. It seemed my GP couldn't be bothered to figure out why I wasn't getting better. (I later found out she had never prescribed Levaquin to people, nor did she know that this was a medicine that should be considered when the first "go to" antibiotics don't work. Finally, after another ER visit I sought the advice of a great pulmonologist who prescribed 750mg of Levaquin for a 10-day course. I started feeling better immediately and it was the last antibiotic I had to take because it finally knocked out the pneumonia. I had no side effects. I have pneumonia again and went straight to Levaquin. I now request it & is the only antibiotic I'll take for these types of infections.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 5, 2012

“Levaquin is the only antibiotic that works for me when I get either bronchitis or pneumonia. I take 750mg for 10 days and I swear by it. I've been taking it for years with no noticeable side effects. I am now 62.”

Anonymous February 16, 2012

“I have had both bronchitis and pneumonia at least every other year for the past 20 or so years. Out of all of those illnesses I was given Levaquin twice and can not understand why it wasn't perscribed more. I didn't have any side effects at all. In fact, my recovery time with this medicine was marked in days and not weeks like the other perscriptions! One year I actually lost 3 weeks of work (could have actually used more time but I didn't have any time left). I'm actually battling bronchitis right now and when I asked why Levaquin wasn't prescribed since it has worked so well in the past, the doctor just looked at me and said he prefers the Amoxicillin. Fine for him....he's not stuck in bed coughing up lungs!”

LinZee55 · Taken for less than 1 month May 11, 2014

“This is the third time I had asthmatic bronchitis and using Levaquin. First time I had been given Biaxin which not only didn't work but I almost had to be hospitalized. Then prescribed Levaquin and by the fifth day felt 100% better. Side effects get less with each day.(Mine are stomach upset and drowsiness) But without this medicine I would need oxygen. Thanks there are better options.”

Amymby August 21, 2016

“I am very shocked at all the remarks about the horrible side effects of this medicine. I am again taking it, as it is the only antibiotic that really does kick the infection. I did notice years ago when I was prescribed 750mg, it made me light headed, dizzy....so since then I ask for 500mg, and it is just the perfect dose for my body. I rate Lefofloxacin at a 10. I have never experienced any of the side effects people have mentioned, like tendinitis, metal taste, nausea, etc., and anyone I know who has taken it hasn't complained of any negative aspects of the med either. I recommend it at 500mg, but would maybe steer clear of the 750mg. That one is just so strong.”

islandnative January 20, 2008

“I don't like Levaquin at all. The doctor prescribed this to me after going in for acute sinusitus and bronchitis. He said it was a strong medication. The first night I woke up suddenly with a massive headache, and then heartburn. The next day I noticed more problems which made me feel even worse than my original ailments. I had cold sweats, felt nervous, anxious and like I was losing my mind! I couldn't sleep.”

Anonymous May 25, 2012

“Took this last year for my first bout with pneumonia, I felt like I was on deaths door, cleared it up in 5 days. Now back 10 months later with bronchitis, not nearly as bad as pneumonia but getting ready for a 7 day hiking trip in Maine, asked Dr for this again, 2 days later I feel 90% better. I love this medicine.”

PJPKR January 16, 2015

“Every winter I get terrible Bronchitis. Usually am constantly coughing, use a nebulizer, use inhaler, this all last literally until spring! Coughing for months. This time caught it early. Took shots and Levaquin for ten days. Felt like total crude for the whole time BUT it worked. First time it all left without those months of cough, cough, coughing solid back to back. Can't tell you what a relief it was. SO take it!! Despite side affects unless it's too serious you'll be glad you did!!”

staygood123 December 23, 2011

“I took this and in 3 days I felt so much better. I took 500mg and Mucinex along side it. I always eat some type of vinegar foods (olives or pickles) and because antibiotics are hard on the stomach and vinegar offset the heartburn. I eat yogurt to offset the yeast infection and bananas to keep from muscle cramps (potassium). This is the only medicine that ever helps me. I had a doctor give me something and after 2 weeks it didn%u2019t even phase the infection. 3 days of Levaquin and I was back feeling so much better. I can%u2019t say enough about this medicine. My mom went on it as she got it too and she was shocked how much better she felt after it. She agreed this is a good antibiotic.”

Tash · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2019

“I was prescribed 500mg for 5 days, for bronchitis, I also suffer from COPD. I couldn't sleep a bit, breathing got a lot worse, headache, palpitations, tendons hurt so bad I couldn't hardly move. I have been off of them for 6 days now, I'm worse than I was. I will never take these again, they are horrible.”

Puffbutton · Taken for less than 1 month April 6, 2019

“I am finishing my last pill. I had seven 500 mg pills and obviously, this is number 7. I have bronchitis but since I tend to get that, it easily accelerates into pneumonia. I can't take anything besides Levaquin either. I am so sensitive to meds. Well, my advice is STAY IN BED and drink TONS and tons of water. Don't let the side effects (my tendons started acting up and DO put your feet up on a pillow for that...) worry you unless you have a particularly extreme reaction. Just "go with the flow". It makes me sleep = no insomnia! Get out the old movies, the western novels and keeps the lights LOW in your QUIET room. It's worth it. This drug has saved my life.”

Agarr January 24, 2020

“After a bout with Levaquin and fluroquinolone, I developed muscle weakness and muscle tears. This medicine can result in muscle and nerve damage. I have put lrvaquin, fluroquiloine and Cipro(been allergic to this for years) on my medical chart as adverse reaction.”

Healthcaring · Taken for less than 1 month October 26, 2013

“Was given this drug following severe bronchitis due to chronic dental inflammations. By day 3, I realized my left ankle was painful and hobbled. I read the black box warnings and immediately discontinued the drug, however, that ankle and then the other one got progressively worse. I was barely making it to work and back, trying to do eldercare solo, and thinking I was going to be crippled for life 6 months later. Was seriously looking into joining class action lawsuit and probably should have, but no energy left over. Think megadoses of magnesium and supplements plus some homeopathics like Thuja finally tipped the balance, and I gradually was able to walk normally without pain again. Used Oil of Oregano to clear the infections.”

Shay_Shay · Taken for less than 1 month May 6, 2014

“I have a very bad bout of bronchitis. I'm on day 5 and I don't feel markedly improved. The coughing is not quite as often, however when I do cough the phlegm feels thicker and the coughing spasms are more violent. It could be because the Mucinex is now wearing off. I just had higher expectations. Now I'm nervous, because I don't feel like my condition is improving. And the sound and feel of the mucus is a lot worse, but no side effects.”

laddieday February 27, 2008

“I Have been taking Levaquin for 3 days for bronchitis. Having difficulty sleeping and have no appetite, along with headache and a persistent fever. Pharmacist never told me to take the medicine with a full 8 oz glass of water. Might have been good to know. So far, still have bronchitis, coughing up mucus and needing an inhaler. I have never used an antibiotic that after 3 days I remain ill. Jury is out however, as I may be better...soon I hope.”

CLoggins · Taken for less than 1 month April 15, 2015

“I have been on this antibiotic for 6 days for pneumonia and while the cough has slowed way down, I am having severe chest pain. I am thinking it's because when I do have a coughing fit it's violent, Brutal. I only have one more dose at 500 mg and I am worried I'm relapsing, though no high temp I feel almost like I started out. I am now trying herbal teas, garlic, Rosemary and Kombucha. I just started these so I'm praying it will all work as a team. No side effects only a little queasy!”

Smitty550 · Taken for less than 1 month January 7, 2020

“Suffered from severe Bronchitis, involving much weakness, non-stop coughing that brought up marble-sized pieces of brown mucus. Doctor prescribed Doxycycline which proved ineffective. Second and final prescription of Levaquin was totally effective and stopped the condition cold in its tracks, even without the doxycycline. No side effects encountered. I had suffered from a diagnosed pneumonia a few years earlier. It was like having Bronchitis, but worse. Signs and symptoms were similar, but worse. I don't remember if I had taken Levaquin for pneumonia, but it certainly defeated Bronchitis.”

MimiK · Taken for less than 1 month April 21, 2019

“I was prescribed Levaquin for a URI and a UTI. I have a previous history of c. difficile from last summer and my Infectious disease doctor advised me to be careful taking any antibiotics due to chance of c difficile recurring. On the 7th day of taking, I woke up with a semi-frozen right shoulder. Iced it for 4 days with minimal improvement, went to see my PCP on the 5th day, he ordered a shoulder x-ray followed by an MRI. It revealed a 50% tear of the tendon in my shoulder due to the Levaquin. I am 65 and not a surgical candidate. Will never take this drug again! My sister-in-law warned me about this but I thought she was exaggerating!”

Anonymous September 18, 2011

“I've been taking Levofloxacin for bronchitis (5 days, 750 mg), and I think it's helped a little bit, but it's day five (last dose tonight) and I still feel only a little better than I did before I started. Maybe it's a virus or something, so it isn't responding? Oh well. The biggest problem I've had is the side effects: not as bad as what most people have been talking about (knock on wood), but I have experienced severe, severe nausea, and also insomnia. I take it at around 6 p.m., and the nausea usually goes away by the next afternoon. I started taking it with food, and also drinking a probiotic, and it seems to be helping a little, though I still feel a bit sick. The insomnia is pretty bad! ”

Anonymous January 12, 2011

“I am 54 years old and was put on Levaquin in August. I had side effect from the medication that caused joint and tendon pain and damage. I used to take it when I was younger with a good outcome. It is now January and I still have very bad knee and tendon pain. Beware of the medication.”

an old fart · Taken for less than 1 month October 26, 2014

“This is my 3rd time taking this medicine. First 2 times my shin bones hurt bad for 2 weeks this time my left thumb and palm so far hurts badly but this medicine does work for what ailes me. I just hope my shin bones don't hurt so bad this time. By the way my prescription is 5 pills of 750mg daily for 5 days.”

Slikman December 30, 2009

“Just want to report my experience after just one dose. I was prescribed 7 doses at 500mg for bronchitis. I went to the doctor because the cough I had was resulting in a suffocating feeling after the cough. I was in bad shape. After just one dose, the cough is not so devastating--certainly no longer feels like I am suffocating. Although I slept real good last night, I do indeed feel fatigued today. Now editing this comment after the full 7 day use of this medication. I didn't realize until the 4th day of use that I was experiencing the "dizziness" side effect that can result from use. That is the only reason this medicine doesn't get a 10 rating from me. It really knocked out my infection. However, the dizziness was indeed bothersome.”

Sickness · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 21, 2019

“This is the only antibiotics my body can take I have read all the bad things about this but let me tell you it’s a wonder drug for me I feel better within 24 hrs every time I take it the only side effect I get is the diarrhea but it comes afterwards. I highly recommend this to anyone who can’t handle many antibiotics”

MommaLyonn · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2015

“After one 500mg dose of this drug, I began having a racing heart and my muscles twitching from head to toe, severe dizziness and nausea. This progressed to my ankle and knee joints cracking/popping upon walking, shoulder hurting, toe and finger pain and now, the next day, nerve pain in my occipital region on the back of my head. I began reading and started high doses of magnesium/transdermal mag spray, TONS of water, high doses Vit C, juicing and homemade bone broth with rest for my joints. This medicine apparently severely depletes the body of magnesium, damages michocondria and prevents new tendon cells from being formed. I hope what I'm doing counteracts any long term damage and I'm highly upset it was prescribed with black box warnings!”

irockfm2 March 9, 2010

“I went to the Dr. yesterday feeling like I had some sort of cold, not thinking that Bronchitis was one of them, so he gave me Levaquin. I mentioned why not a Z Pack and he said this was stronger and after just one does the next morning I did feel better. I suppose to take it for 10 days at 500 MG - I haven't had any real big side effects just yet, but I did feel dizzy this morning”

Learn more about Bronchitis