User Reviews for Levaquin to treat Bacterial Infection

Levaquin has an average rating of 4.7 out of 10 from a total of 29 ratings for the treatment of Bacterial Infection. 34% of those users who reviewed Levaquin reported a positive effect, while 55% reported a negative effect.

Levaquin Rating Summary

4.7/10 average rating

Compare all 1051 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Levaquin

Elmo · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2020

“I took this drug Levaquin after several other drugs failed to cure a severe skin infection. I was told it was an antibiotic resistant infection. I was put on a 500mg dose for two weeks. The first night, I had the most severe body cramps I had ever experienced in my life. They went from my neck to my toes and diagonally across my body. I thought I was going to die or that I would be better off dead it was that severe. I started to have other symptoms like severe pain in my wrists, ankles and tendons. By the end of the first week I could no longer walk unassisted. I couldn't even rest my hands on a shopping cart because of the severe pain it caused in my wrists. The Levaquin side effects lasted almost a year - I was incapacitated for almost a year before I could walk again.”

Smiley · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2020

“My legs look like they were beaten with a baseball bat from the ankles and halfway up my calves and I am in pain most of the time since this antibiotic (Levaquin) that was put into my body by IV in my arm. The doctor who admitted me ordered a different antibiotic Ceftriaxone and it was working and; I don't even know the doctor who changed the order, and was never introduced or suggested that there would be a change. I felt like they really did not care whether I lived or died because of the way I was treated while in the hospital. They treat animals better than I was treated. Admitted on the 11th and discharged on the 15th at 12:00 Midnight. Who discharges a patient from a hospital in the middle of the night! If I had acquired this information that I was able to acquire before going there, I would have gone somewhere else! This hospital has a "F" RATING with the BBB. And horrible customer reviews! And the got paid!”

DJ · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2020

“They gave this to my father in the hospital for an infection he didn't really have. The culture came back negative. Within about 3 doses, he went from being an athletic person that walked a mile every day and did his own lawn work to a person that needed help getting up to go to the bathroom. It took years of physical therapy so that he could walk and now uses a walker. He never did completely recover. Levaquin and Cipro are both very dangerous drugs. The FDA nearly banned it but opted to put a warning on the label instead. If your doctor tries to give levaquin to you, ask for something else. Its that bad.”

Foxhound21 March 16, 2020

“Started on generic levaquin for testicular pain that didn't respond to other treatments. 500mg 1x a day for 10 days. Felt a little off the first 3 days but manageable. By day 4 and 5 I was having chest pain, left arm numbness, and severe panic attacks. Ended up in the ER. They told me it was the levaquin but to keep taking it. After getting home I continued to have unprovoked panic attacks and wasn't able to regulate my body temp. Today is supposed to be day 6 but I'm not taking this rubbish anymore. It may be helping the testicle pain (I'm taking it for Epididymitis) but I'd rather be in pain than feel how I feel now. I'm 31 and feel like I'm 70. Gonna keep drinking fluids and hope for the best. Hopefully no lasting damage from this medicine. I'm sure it works good but I really wish my doctor had warned me about what could happen.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2020

“Only gave a 1 rating because I couldn't rate it a "0"! One pill was all I needed to be convinced that I had legal rights to sue the Doctor for attempted murder by prescribing this lethal drug. I usually have a lung infection once a year, and they usually give me Cephalexin and it clears up in 5-7 days. But this drug, Levaquin, is so bad. After just one dose, my entire body ached, my fingers and toes locked up, and I had the jitters all night long, and had to detox with milk thistle and TMG. I'm seriously thinking about sueing! My advice, "Don't Take It!!!" or you will have tendon, liver, kidney and nerve problems for the rest of your life, it can also cause death.”

Pete · Taken for less than 1 month September 9, 2018

“I took 1 pill of 500mg Levaquin for an epidydimitis, about 2 hours later I was experiencing a lot of side effects such as anxiety, fast heart rate, heart palpitations, muscle spasms, dizziness and insomnia. The next few days I experienced major tendon pain and muscle spasms/pain that I have never had before. Instead of Levaquin I was prescribed Bactrim..... hopefully this antibiotic does the trick without destroying my body in the process. It’s honestly a shot in the dark with all of the antibiotics on the market which is truly a disappointment and shame. You never know whether the side effects from the antibiotic might be worse than the actual disease/infection it’s intended to treat. Just shows how messed up America’s healthcare system really is... I hope you all never have to take an antibiotic again! I know there will be way better treatments within the next 10 years.”

T-Roger · Taken for less than 1 month December 26, 2019

“This drugs did rid my body of an infection in my blood. However, tingling in my feet became complete numbness below my ankle bone when I finished 10 days of pills. This became a big deal as years went on. Without the feedback from my nerves, my feet developed sores, bones in my feet broke & healed incorrectly because I did know anything was wrong, my balance has gotten worse. This complete nerve death/neuropathy developed into Charcot foot and my feet started collapsing and are becoming very deformed. Levaquin is one of the worst things that ever happened to me.”

larrybydesign February 8, 2011

“This, most of the time, is the only antibiotic that works for me. I get bronchitis and sinus infections almost every year. I get no side effects from Levaquin. If you do, discontinue use and call your doctor. I am allergic to penicillin, so I am limited to which antibiotics I can take.”

Tammy · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2019

“I have used even requested it for UTI and Upper Respiratory infections it has been my go to drugfrom my ENT doctor prescribed it before there was a generic. I have never suffered any side effects an have always gotten well. I use it once a year my usual yearly infection.”

Steelergal33 June 4, 2015

“i have been suffering with a sinus infection for over 2 months. I was on Bactrin for 14 days , Predisone for 10days which is a steroid which to allergy medicine used OTC sinus medicine then finally was given this med. After only one dose my sinus ,ear pain & sore throat cause by post nasal drip began to disappear. I did experience some coughing the first time Ilaid down but guess what the mucus was not longer greenishyellow draining it was super dark green. That was one serious infection! Tried & true believe me it worked for me. I had laryngitis for 2 months and two days after this medication my voice is back:) two thumbs up”

BP72 July 28, 2014

“Took 500 mgs once a day for a severe sinus infection. By day 3 my nasal passages opened up, sinus pressure and pain eased up. On day 5 I felt 90% better. Infection gone by day 8. Only side effect was I slept alot but that could be because I was sick.”

colleeenie November 20, 2010

“I was afraid to take the medication. I read so much about side effects, when one is older (76) but after a blood test my Doctor told me this was the only one that would work. so I took it, and I am glad I did. It worked wonders and no side effects. If you have to take it I would say don't worry.”

CaptianK · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2016

“If you live, for decades after taking levaquin, you will experience multiple tendon ruptures, in your arms, shoulders, legs and achillies tendons. All your muscles will forever be weak and your reflexes slow. Do not take, under any circumstances, unless you want to destroy your health.”

Elliebeth · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 25, 2019

“This! I have severe reactions, side effects and allergies to almost every antibiotic. I was given this a couple years ago for my frequent sinus infections and bronchitis and have used it ever since. Currently taking it for a UTI and I felt sooo much better after only 1 dose. Its been a lifesaver for me and I can't swallow pills so it comes in liquid too! I take low doses spread out and that seems to help with side effects along with drinking lots of water and following the eating rules (1 hour before food or 2 hours after food). Only taking 2.5ml once a day right now is doing the job!”

mewsician · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2012

“I was prescribed 500 mg x 1/day for 7 days for a throat infection yesterday. Two hours after taking Levaquin, I went to bed, and immediately upon lying down the ends of all my toes went numb. An hour later I had extremely rapid heart beat and sweating, and couldn't sleep. Today, my throat and the rest of my body are significantly better, but my toes are still half numb. It's the weekend, so I called the pharmacist, she advised me to stop taking the medicine and go to my doctor on Monday.”

Bacterial or Sinus Infection Relief November 21, 2010

“Levaquin knocked my bacterial or sinus infection out in 20 days. I was having headaches every morning for months and not sleeping well. This really stopped my infection. I could tell that the infection was busting up because my headaches stopped and my sleep improved significantly. The headaches were like something squeezing on my brain that would not allow me to think well most of the day. I was not sleeping well at night and tired most of the day. This made all the difference and has put me back to normal. There is a tremendous difference in my daily work, alert, awake, and sleeping performance after the treatment cleared up my infection. ”

Anonymous December 21, 2009

“My doctor prescribed Levaquin (500 mg for 10 days) because she said it would take care of both my UTI and sore throat without having to take 2 different antibiotics. After the first two days I felt better, but the 3rd day my sore throat returned and I began to ache all over like flu symptoms. The 4th and 5th days the calves of my legs hurt, and the 5th night I couldn't sleep because my calves were hurting so badly, I wondered if I had blood clots. Today (6th), my calves, neck and ankles hurt -- I just took my 6th pill and my upper lip is swelling is looked up the side effects and it seems I have most of them. The first 2 days I was very short of breath when walking and climbing the stairs and always have had a headache -- will stop!”

Anonymous November 18, 2011

“Levaquin 500 mg for adult ear infection for 7 days. By the 3rd day, severe pain in legs and calves. By 8th day severe joint pain all over body. Blood work today, but might be reaction to Levaquin. Feels like flu but worse.”

RuinedLife · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2017

“This has been a horror since I took this drug - which did nothing for the situation it was prescribed for. I became unable to walk, or grip anything, and basically became an invalid. I was writhing in severe pain every night from the small amount of shuffling I had to do to keep the shreds of my life going. I got no help from my doctor, who denied the entire thing (worried about a lawsuit probably). The medical/pharmaceutical industry keeps us in the dark - the side effects listed officially are rubbish. I also had complete fog brain, as if my mind had been replaced with gelatin, really terrifying. I also had, in the first year, random speeding heart, like I was going to have a heart attack. 4 yrs later I am still bad. DON'T TAKE THIS DRUG unless you have a life threatening infection”

Mable murphy March 23, 2017

“I was given Levaquin and it all most killed me. The doctor had me on it for 10 days , I thought I was dying the doctor did nothing , my pharmacist talk to me and told me I was having side effects. I stop taking it - it took a week before I thought I was still going to live. Now my muscles ache all the time. My neck hurts can not lay flat on my back. And other things to. Please do not take it.”

mattiem52 March 28, 2011

“Took Levaquin for lingering congestion & low-grade fever following a bout of influenza. Read about the side effects involving tendons, so was watchful during the 10 days I took it. Had no problems until the morning after the last dose when I woke up with all 10 fingers painfully locked in a curled position ("trigger finger"). Improved after a day or so, but I still have occasional trouble with one finger. ”

texasgail · Taken for less than 1 month November 29, 2013

“Took Levaquin for 4 days after a week of amoxicillin did not help spider bite. Last night broke out in severe hives. Now taking steroids to counteract the antibiotic. Only reason I rated what I did is because spider bite is much better”

Anonymous March 9, 2010

“Feel like I have body aches after taking this medication. It seems to keep me awake at night too, which is annoying. Also, I can't tell whether it is working or my body is fighting off my sore throat by itself. My appetite changed too.”

Emmadog1 February 28, 2014

“Horrible shoulder and knee pain”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 14, 2016

“DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG! Point blank period it should be illegal! It gave me tendinitis only 4 after starting”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 7, 2012

“I was taking Levaquin for a MRSA. Discovered that this cannot be taken in conjunction with Multiple Sclerosis medicines as it mimics a heart attack.”

raven0618 September 21, 2009

“It was prescribed post surgery as prophylaxis. Caused intense pain in the Achilles tendon and calf muscles. Enough to discontinue use.”

Lusy52 August 6, 2016

“I was prescribed Levaquin 750 milligrams for bacterial conjunctivitis. It work when nothing else would. Two thumbs up”