User Reviews for Levaquin

Learn more about Levaquin.

Levaquin Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 260 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Levaquin to treat Sinusitis

"I was prescribed Levaquin for acute bacterial sinusitis after going to my GP for a congested nose, sinus pressure and bad headaches and fatigue which lasted 7 days. He said this should clear it right up...After reading all the warning I was hesitant with my pharmacist but they assured me it's a normal antibiotic, nothing too strong as since I'm allergic to penicilin it's a great alternative. The horror began immediately on day one, the skin on my left arm shoulder area began to burn so badly, and my arm started to get numb, even my pinky finger I couldn't move. I obviously freaked out and called the doc, he said I'm having an allergic reaction to it, not to worry it won't cause any nerve damage. Switched to Zithromax, much better & safer :("

Kareem Dubai June 26, 2016

"I cannot give Levaquin a good rating. I was a healthy, active college student minoring in dance when I took this for a sinus infection. After a few pills it completely destroyed my life, for an infection that would have cleared on its own. No more than hour of sleep for over a year due to neurological damage that destroyed my sleep cycle. It gave me dysautonomia so now I have tachycardia, POTS, heat intolerance, & all sorts of crazy problems. I got peripheral neuropathy, but it got better over the years. Still I am limited in what I can do, cannot fulfill my dreams, and miss going out in the summer since the heat intolerance causes me to not sweat but actually respond like I have heat exhaustion. No more laying on the beach in July...ever."

Great Lakes Gal May 12, 2016

"Levaquin and sunlight do not mix. Cover up if you are outside while taking it. Otherwise you will burn and burn quickly. But the stuff works."

sunny side up April 23, 2016

"Took this after having a sinus infection for four months, amoxicillin, augmentin, zpacks, steroids, nothing worked. Levaquin made me feel better within days, completely cleared the infection. Did give me a swollen foot/ankle, but that cleared once I finished the antibiotic course. I'd rather wrap my foot for two weeks, than have a sinus infection for four months. I don't think this is typically prescribed unless other antibiotics have failed. On it again for another stubborn sinus infection, no tendon issues so far."

Lalalamcd (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

"My dosage of Levaquin was 750 mg daily initially for 5 days & later extended for another 10 days after an ER visit. I discontinued the drug after 11 days due to: a) a general feeling of malaise after taking the drug b) I am a runner and I began experiencing tendinosis in the Achilles tendons & then on a routine run, I pulled up lame and could not continue due to severe pain in my left hamstring area - I attribute these injuries strictly to the Levaquin. I think this drug was effective in handling the infection but its side effects for me as described above are very real. I will not take this drug or probably any drugs in the fluoroquinolones class again. Anyone who is into exercising should think carefully about using this drug."

toucando (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2016

"Just didn't work for me. Now day 10 and still sick. Emergency walk in says it must be viral. I won't accept this prescription again."

Paula Mathis (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2016

"Levaquin is not for me, even though it did help clear up my sinus infection. The tendonitis and joint pain were just too much for me. What they fail to tell you is that with lots of people who take this drug, the side effects do NOT go away with discontinuation of the drug. I now feel like I have arthritis in my hips, knees, elbows, and hands that simply will not go away, and I blame the Levaquin for these lingering symptoms. I would not recommend the drug to anyone unless their sinus infection simply will not respond to other treatments."

No More for Me (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2016

"Ok so I just started this medication, 9 tablets to go and reading the comments is really freaking me out. I'm not big on medication so I guess we will see how this goes. I'll keep an update."

worriedlady1427 March 23, 2016

"My doctor prescribed me Levaquin, 750 mg for 7 days) after amoxycylin didn't do the trick. I had the sinus infection for almost a month at this point, and was willing to try anything. I took the Levaquin with prednisone the first night, and had an intense anxious reaction to the combo - my pharmacy recommended I stop the prednisone, so I did. The anxious feeling subsided, and within 12 hours, I could feel my head pressure go away. However, on the second day, and until now (on the 5th day) I've slowly felt new side effects. Mainly, fatigue, achy knees and shoulders, and I wake up in the morning feelig like im burning from the inside out. I would recommend to help sinus infections, but warning, the side effects are real. Hoping they go away!"

KMahan March 19, 2016

"I took ONE levaquin for a sinus infection and within 1 hour had a high fever. The blood vessels in my legs began leaking blood under my skin (a condition called vasculitis that is now permanent), my feet/hands were so swollen we almost had to cut off my wedding ring, and by the next morning I couldn't move ANY part of my body without excruciating pain. My doctor didn't know what was going on and called in a steroid, which helped me be able to move again, but it was a month before I could stand/walk. That was 5 years ago. I had an existing autoimmune disease and this drug made it much worse. I now have infusions of chemo to treat my vasculitis, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and I suffer from permanent neuropathy. DON'T TAKE THIS DRUG."

SuzetteK (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2016

"Never, ever take this drug or those part of the Flouroquinolone family (Cipro, etc.). I didn't realize that this was a blacklisted drug; it should be illegal to prescribe such a thing and the doctor who prescribed this to me failed to tell me about the side effects. When I asked her what the side effects were, she said "lightheadedness". Thankfully I only took about 750 mg in total and am going to do whatever I can to expel this poison from my body. Warn everyone you know to NEVER take this drug."

Anonymous January 30, 2016

"Levaquin is my miracle prescription for sinus infections. I usually get 2 really nasty sinus infections a year-Levaquin is the ONLY antibiotic that had worked for me. I have never had any side effects, other than getting well! I always take It exactly as prescribed: 1 per day, (for 10 days), with lots of water."

Z'sla January 1, 2016

"I don't know if I am getting well or not. But I am having a good bit of the side effects All the inflammation, swelling, weakness, and hurting all over hand arm, shoulders, legs and feet. I sit down an I don't want to move again because of all this. I'm also experiencing the confusion, emotional, and mood changes."

kjs81 December 4, 2015

"I was nervous after these reviews but it works wonders and I had no serious side effects.. I was suffering with a sinus infection for weeks and literally after the first tablet I felt a bit better and in a few days in I was completely fine but of course I had to take the full course. I DID have a few mild side effects. The night I took the first pill, I felt really hot. I had no temperature bu I suppose it's similar to what a hot flash would feel like-maybe it was the meds getting to work. They also gave me HORRIBLE nightmares EVERY night-it was weird. Also, they say to take lots of water-didn't have to tell me twice because I was terribly thirsty and felt 'dried out' so it made me guzzle water, anyway. However, it worked well and soon."

Politely Pompous (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2015

"I now rarely get sick but I've had sinusitis for years due to my allergies. I've found out from my experience with sinus infections that there is no better drug than LEVAQUIN for killing a sinus infection. I just went to the doctor for my ears being clogged for about 4 weeks now and she said I have fluid behind my ear drums and prescribed me 7 days of Levaquin 500mg. I'm about to start taking it tonight and in a few days I'll see results... I've used it a number of times for bad sinus infections and it never fails to work w/ no side effects that I can see. Great drug. : )"

R8DERMAN (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2015

"I had pneumonia the month before and was given Biaxin for 10 days. After a month, I started to have horrible sinus pains and was very weak and tired. After chest / sinus xray I was prescribed Levaquin for 10 days x 500mg. I was concerned about Levaquin due to side effects mentioned online. It was recommended during the Levaquin to drink a ton of water as well as take a probiotic. I took probaclac 7 twice a day(brkfst / dinner) and the levaquin at lunch time. Other then a few minor tendon aches that only lasted a day, I had no other side effects with the medication. Maybe the probiotc / ton of water helped. i felt better after day 4. 100% better now."

Bster July 13, 2015

"I have had chronic sinusitus for 30 years. Sometimes 4 per year and we had to do cultures to make sure we got the right bug after have numerous antibiotics failed. I think allergies and maybe viral infections start it off and then it turns into an infection. This medication has worked for me over the last 10 years ,although we have used other drugs to good effect. I have had few side effects except for dizzyiness and some brain fog for a few hours after taking the drug. It works very quickly on my infections but I do worry about side effects. I have been an avid weight lifter and never slowed down while on this med and had no issues with tendons or aches. This time I will take it a little easier and just keep my joints and muscles moving!"

rsilver (taken for 10 years or more) May 21, 2015

"I am on day 3 of taking this medicine and feel horrible. I haven't slept in 2 nights and don't want to eat. I am calling my doctor in the morning and telling him I will not take anymore of this. I have never felt this bad from a drug before."

dstie May 20, 2015

"I was prescribed Levaquin 500mg 1x/day for chronic sinus infections. On day 8 (of a 10 day prescription), I woke up feeling like I'd been hit by a truck. Every tendon in my body hurt. Even the tiny ones in my fingers. It took me till the next day to realize it was the Levaquin causing this (no doctor or pharmacist had warned me). I threw out the day 10 pill. This was 3 mths ago. For the first two weeks, the pain got worse. I was unable to walk for a week. After that, it gradually began to subside and I began to be able to walk, albeit very slowly, again. I spent about a month on bed rest. I just saw an ortho yesterday and she is optimistic about my progress. She said it may take about 1 yr for me to heal. I am about 85% better."

Anonymous in GA (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2015

"I started taking this med this morning and after a few hours I began feeling better. No side effects thus far, but very impressed with it's speed."

Anonymous May 8, 2015

"Well it did the job, and then some. It cleared up my sinus infection, plus I had the lovely experience of having severe acne on my back from the drug. I never break-out. Then, a week after I stopped the 10 -day medication, I have a UTI, and vaginal bleeding (in between periods). I think it is insane that medication for a simple sinus infection can leave to several other complications."

TweeterPop April 30, 2015

"I love "Levequin". It's the only antibiotic that cures my sinus infections and I have been put on everything. Some will start to work and then...nope. I feel my sinuses begin to drain within hours after beginning Levequin. I started having sinus infections about 20 years ago and had a stroke 2 months after my sinus surgery (the only thing I got from it) the infections are thought to come from allergies to dust mites and dog dander which are everywhere. I hate though when a new doctor doesn't believe in using such a "strong antibiotic" or that it's necessary. I have failed college courses because of failing to get my "Levequin"."

Lucy Sinus (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 27, 2015

"I had bad nightmares, light handedness, dizziness, faintness. I won't wish this on my worst enemy! I missed work because after I my doctor told me to stop the med. It stayed in my system for 3 days."

Mrs.T (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2015

"Did that one poster seriously share an experience where a doctor had him/her on 750mg Levaquin for 7-weeks (49-days)? Is that even survivable, let alone right? I just finished 10-days of 750mg for an upper sinus infection that has lasted 5-months...it turned me inside out! It's too early to tell if it has really helped, but the CT showed no signs of infection now, so I'm hopeful. Everything else we've tried has given me temporary relief, but less than 2-weeks later was back with a vengeance. This was my 6th round of antibiotics...hopefully my last. I'm just curious how someone could stomach it for that long."

Curious_2 March 19, 2015

"I have taken Levaquin many times for my sinuses and have had 2 sinus surgeries. I am currently on my 38th day of 750mg and have 11 more days to go of taking it. We are doing this for so long as a last resort before doing surgery again. I can not tell that it is doing much good this go around. It does not allow me to rest well so I take it in the morning but I can honestly say that I am over the vomiting daily because of it. It also gives me the shakes and just a very bad overall feeling until lunch or so."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2014