User Reviews for Levaquin

Learn more about Levaquin.

Levaquin Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 220 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Levaquin to treat Sinusitis

"Took for sinus infection in 2009. At the time I wasn't warned that strenuous activity could cause permanent damage while on this med. I torn a muscle so bad it wouldn't heal. Immediately began getting neuropathy. It progressed and worsened over time. Now... after 8 years, it's finally taken over my body's nervous system and enlarged trunk lines of nerve paths all over body. Hands are numb, feet are numb, sharp pains all over, torn muscle is now a grizzle and emits sharp debilitating pain. Polyneuropathy is progressing slowing but surely. Had to stop working because of pain. Taking Lyrica and NSAIDs... doesn't help much. At end of road! No cure... doctors says it reminds them of exposure to agent orange... DO NOT USE THIS DRUG!"

Disabled... took 8 years! (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"DO NOT USE THIS DRUG!!! I was prescribed Lavaquin for a sinus infection over 2 years ago & I am still suffering the side effects. The tendon pain was SO severe during & many months after finishing this med. Now, 2 & 1/2 years later, I still have severe tendon pain, stabbing, hot pain mostly in my wrists, hands & arms. I do not sleep through the night, due to the horrific pain & it persists constantly throughout the days! I have Achilles problems now & can not walk or stand up for any length of time. I am sure I have permanent tendon damage from this drug, which my doctor denies can be caused by this drug & wants to do further tests for autoimmune disease! Stay away from this drug it is poison and ruined my quality of life!!!!!!"

Another big pharm victim (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This med has been effective but it has caused such bad joint stiffness that I can barely walk. My back, knees, ankles are in extreme pain. I also feel very dizzy and like I'm going to faint sometimes, really bad gas, and constipation. And, the fatigue is unreal. I can't seem to make anyone understand. I still feel sick now but in a different way. If I had not been so sick, I would not have taken this again. This has been my third levaquin experience. I just can't do it again."

SC Girl (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"PLEASE DON'T TAKE LEVAQUIN or any other fluoroquinolone. It can destroy all of the tendons in your body and cause severe organ damage. It has basically disabled me. There are AT LEAST tens of 1,000s of people harmed by this drug. The FDA put out a black box warning against this drug in July 2016. Please read it!"

JT622 (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used this medicine for over 20 years for chronic sinusitis. The recent 3x I have taken it I broke out in hives all over my body that lasted for 2 hours. Has anyone else had a similar reaction? Not sure how after all these years I have an allergic reaction to something. Dr. gave me Sulfamethoxazole-TMP in lieu of Levoquin and I am scared out of my mind to take something new. I have a 11 year history of random allergies to food and medications."

Reese2016 January 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had a sinus infection for over a month, but didn't know it, because it started out as pain in my teeth. Went to dentist on 2 seperate occassions within 2 weeks to have a check-up and x-rays. X-rays revealed nothing wrong with my teeth. Pain went to throat for 2 weeks and then my ear. All on left-side. Went to my PCP, who said my sinuses were almost completely closed. I did not have any pain around eyes/nose at this point. Put on Levaquin. The pain has gotten worse!! Has not helped me with my sinus infection. In fact, I'm on day 6, and not only do I have pain in my teeth, ears, and throat still, but now it's traveled throughout my entire head! The malaise I feel is horrible! Been mainly in bed for 5 days now! Horrible antibiotic!!"

BethAM23 January 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION - EVER! Should be illegal. Went to the urgent care during the holidays w/chest congestion, cough, low grade fever, & sinus headache on Monday. Told the doctor I was starting a 8 day cruise on Thursday. She gave me a 10 day, 750 mg tablet of Levoquin. Had a dull ache in my right side after a couple of days on the cruise, which seemed to progress every day. When I got home, I was favoring my right shoulder. 2 nights ago the pain was so bad I couldn't move it & it was very swollen. Went to emergency and was diagnosed with Tendonitis caused by the Levoquinn. Read drug info & horrified that doctor prescribed it to me, 60 yr. old, without trying any other treatment first. So many warnings on this drug."

LuAnnF January 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm SUPER sensitive to medications. On 500mg for 5 days, had a sinus infection for about 6 weeks now. So far, I can't sleep really at all, but looks like you can take a Benadryl or something with it that may help you sleep. Will discuss with doctor. Hesitant about taking this because of all the comments here and the (black box warning) about the medication that everyone should read about Levofloxacin (google it). I'm feeling really scattered and can't focus mentally, insomnia and dizziness if I get up too quickly are the biggest issues. I am not taking any of my usual vitamins and no gym, but so far ok. Will update if any changes. *Update, I ended up having to cut the pills in half per doc ok. I felt so awful."

S-Line November 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works well, but I refrain from exercise when taking. It's the only antibiotic strong enough to cure bad sinus infections. Have taken it a couple of times for years with no issues except a little insomnia."

Beachrunner 63 September 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I get a really tough Sinus infection each October and Early Spring like clock work. If I let the infection go too long without going to a Physician - I can be in bed with thick phlegm, headache, full head, and extreme fatigue for several weeks. Levaquin is the only medication that get rid of these infections. Walk in clinics never prescribe it%u2026 so have to wait to get in with my own GP. In Mexico you can buy it without a prescript - as I did last year on vacation when I came down with a Sinus infection but hence- as alot of things in Mexico - was a scam%u2026. sugar pills. The only side effect I have ever had was tendon pain - that cleared up relatively soon. This is the go-to for anyone suffering Chronic Sinus infections."

pianoman1966 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lost 40% of Achilles' tendon! All my tendons in hands, feet shoulders, neck ---actually, all o we my body are sore all the time! Can't work out anymore, have a hard time doing housework, landscaping, sleeping, Can't open bottles. Put my bra on because of the soreness in my shoulder muscles etc. I hate this feeling all the time! I am not myself anymore. Used to be the poster child of health for a 69 year old"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Omg. This medicine is scary. Had a very, very bad sinus infection. I was desperate for relief. A day after taking this medicine, I felt a stiffness in my neck. Thought nothing of it, maybe I slept on it wrong? Switched pillows. Next night, worse. Three days in, could barely stand the pain in my neck. Then it hit me that the medicine was causing the muscle/tendon issue. Also, this medicine made me seriously feel out of it. I had to stop after 4 days. I'd rather deal with the sinus infection."

Evrimbee August 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given Levofloxacin 750 mg for 5 days, for a sinus infection. On the 5th day I started having Achille Tendon pain. I've been off the medication for 4 days and I now have some swelling in the area as well as pain. I have never had problems with my tendons. In my opinion taking the drug was a big mistake and one that I regret. From all I've read this condition may not go away for a year if it even goes away. For me the cure wasn't worth the horrible side effects. I won't take its again or anything else in the Fluoroquinolone family."

So Regretful August 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Levaquin for acute bacterial sinusitis after going to my GP for a congested nose, sinus pressure and bad headaches and fatigue which lasted 7 days. He said this should clear it right up...After reading all the warning I was hesitant with my pharmacist but they assured me it's a normal antibiotic, nothing too strong as since I'm allergic to penicilin it's a great alternative. The horror began immediately on day one, the skin on my left arm shoulder area began to burn so badly, and my arm started to get numb, even my pinky finger I couldn't move. I obviously freaked out and called the doc, he said I'm having an allergic reaction to it, not to worry it won't cause any nerve damage. Switched to Zithromax, much better & safer :("

Kareem Dubai June 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I cannot give Levaquin a good rating. I was a healthy, active college student minoring in dance when I took this for a sinus infection. After a few pills it completely destroyed my life, for an infection that would have cleared on its own. No more than hour of sleep for over a year due to neurological damage that destroyed my sleep cycle. It gave me dysautonomia so now I have tachycardia, POTS, heat intolerance, & all sorts of crazy problems. I got peripheral neuropathy, but it got better over the years. Still I am limited in what I can do, cannot fulfill my dreams, and miss going out in the summer since the heat intolerance causes me to not sweat but actually respond like I have heat exhaustion. No more laying on the beach in July...ever."

Great Lakes Gal May 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Levaquin and sunlight do not mix. Cover up if you are outside while taking it. Otherwise you will burn and burn quickly. But the stuff works."

sunny side up April 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took this after having a sinus infection for four months, amoxicillin, augmentin, zpacks, steroids, nothing worked. Levaquin made me feel better within days, completely cleared the infection. Did give me a swollen foot/ankle, but that cleared once I finished the antibiotic course. I'd rather wrap my foot for two weeks, than have a sinus infection for four months. I don't think this is typically prescribed unless other antibiotics have failed. On it again for another stubborn sinus infection, no tendon issues so far."

Lalalamcd (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My dosage of Levaquin was 750 mg daily initially for 5 days & later extended for another 10 days after an ER visit. I discontinued the drug after 11 days due to: a) a general feeling of malaise after taking the drug b) I am a runner and I began experiencing tendinosis in the Achilles tendons & then on a routine run, I pulled up lame and could not continue due to severe pain in my left hamstring area - I attribute these injuries strictly to the Levaquin. I think this drug was effective in handling the infection but its side effects for me as described above are very real. I will not take this drug or probably any drugs in the fluoroquinolones class again. Anyone who is into exercising should think carefully about using this drug."

toucando (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just didn't work for me. Now day 10 and still sick. Emergency walk in says it must be viral. I won't accept this prescription again."

Paula Mathis (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Levaquin is not for me, even though it did help clear up my sinus infection. The tendonitis and joint pain were just too much for me. What they fail to tell you is that with lots of people who take this drug, the side effects do NOT go away with discontinuation of the drug. I now feel like I have arthritis in my hips, knees, elbows, and hands that simply will not go away, and I blame the Levaquin for these lingering symptoms. I would not recommend the drug to anyone unless their sinus infection simply will not respond to other treatments."

No More for Me (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ok so I just started this medication, 9 tablets to go and reading the comments is really freaking me out. I'm not big on medication so I guess we will see how this goes. I'll keep an update."

worriedlady1427 March 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor prescribed me Levaquin, 750 mg for 7 days) after amoxycylin didn't do the trick. I had the sinus infection for almost a month at this point, and was willing to try anything. I took the Levaquin with prednisone the first night, and had an intense anxious reaction to the combo - my pharmacy recommended I stop the prednisone, so I did. The anxious feeling subsided, and within 12 hours, I could feel my head pressure go away. However, on the second day, and until now (on the 5th day) I've slowly felt new side effects. Mainly, fatigue, achy knees and shoulders, and I wake up in the morning feelig like im burning from the inside out. I would recommend to help sinus infections, but warning, the side effects are real. Hoping they go away!"

KMahan March 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took ONE levaquin for a sinus infection and within 1 hour had a high fever. The blood vessels in my legs began leaking blood under my skin (a condition called vasculitis that is now permanent), my feet/hands were so swollen we almost had to cut off my wedding ring, and by the next morning I couldn't move ANY part of my body without excruciating pain. My doctor didn't know what was going on and called in a steroid, which helped me be able to move again, but it was a month before I could stand/walk. That was 5 years ago. I had an existing autoimmune disease and this drug made it much worse. I now have infusions of chemo to treat my vasculitis, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and I suffer from permanent neuropathy. DON'T TAKE THIS DRUG."

SuzetteK (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Never, ever take this drug or those part of the Flouroquinolone family (Cipro, etc.). I didn't realize that this was a blacklisted drug; it should be illegal to prescribe such a thing and the doctor who prescribed this to me failed to tell me about the side effects. When I asked her what the side effects were, she said "lightheadedness". Thankfully I only took about 750 mg in total and am going to do whatever I can to expel this poison from my body. Warn everyone you know to NEVER take this drug."

Anonymous January 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Levaquin is my miracle prescription for sinus infections. I usually get 2 really nasty sinus infections a year-Levaquin is the ONLY antibiotic that had worked for me. I have never had any side effects, other than getting well! I always take It exactly as prescribed: 1 per day, (for 10 days), with lots of water."

Z'sla January 1, 2016