User Reviews for Levaquin

Learn more about Levaquin.

Levaquin Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 211 medications used in the treatment of Pneumonia.

Reviews for Levaquin to treat Pneumonia

"Ruptured tendons..."

Anonymous May 23, 2016

"750 mg dosage for five days apparently cleared pneumonia, but now, six weeks later, I still feel some side effects of pain and swelling in ankles and feet that immobilized me immediately after taking. Additional side effects included internal bleeding in ankle area, black toes, areas of skin on lower leg showing bruise like areas. Difficulty walking due to stiff and painful joints in feet and ankles."

Nonegiven (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2016

"Just finished a 7 day course of Levaquin (500 mg oral tabs) for pneumonia. My infection was not severe, but I noticed effects practically immediately. Within 24 hours I felt so much better. It did make me slightly nauseous at first, until I began taking it only on a full stomach. Did not notice any other side effects. I drank a LOT of water while I was sick, which may have helped."

FeelingMuchBetter (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2016

"I was given this Horrific medication as my provider thought I had pneumonia and after taking it for 8 days, I could hardly walk and my knees were stiff and I could not get up or put any weight on my legs. My hands were swollen and I could not make a fist or open my water bottle. This Drug should be taken off the market immediately!!!! How can a physician in good conscience prescribe this medication to anyone? I just hope that I am not a permanently crippled by this medication. My chest X-ray came back negative to I did not even need an antibiotic and just needed a cough medicine and Mucinex to clear up my cough. The one time I did not have time to read the drug information because I was moving and my doctor decides to prescribe me this!!!"

Rita Ma (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2016

"Sure it got rid of the pneumonia. But at what cost??? Bad anxiety terrible pain in knees and ankles. I was given xanax to deal with the side effects of the levaquin. Never taking this agin."

Nrem24 (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2016

"I have pneumonia in both lungs for the second time in 35 days. I was hospitalized this time though, so it's definitely worse the the first illness. The only side effect I've noticed is nausea. If I drink water quickly, I immediately feel the need to throw up. Problem is that I'm always thirsty. I am home now thank goodness, still sick but I have what I need. I left AMA because I've got four kids with Christmas on their brains. Hopefully my pills will do the trick."

INeedCoffee December 24, 2015

"Levaquin seems to be the only antibiotic that actually helped clear up my lungs...it is just very unfortunate that it has such awful side effects. I contracted a yeast infection after 2 days. The medication made me an absolute insomniac! There was no way to sleep, which made things worse. I am willing to deal with these side effects to get better, but it's certainly not for those who don't want to deal with possibly getting worse before they get better. I am 23."

Lizzietonnie October 25, 2015

"Came down with pneumonia and this medicine fixed me right up. Was on it for 10 days and the only side effect I noticed was feeling extra tired, but that could have been the pneumonia as well. Wonderful experience."

floatingwithellipsis (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2015

"I was prescribed levaquin for pneumonia. And yes it treats pneumonia, but the nausea and overall feeling of stomach cramps and brain fogginess made me quit five days in, I had to work or at least talk to clients and the way the levaquin made me feel I couldn't do that. I could barely talk try family, let alone friends, I felt so bad. I quit the levaquin, but most likely will need another antibiotic. Because the lung rattling and the whistling noises when I breathe are back, but no fever yet. It absolutely was the levaquin making me so sick to my stomach because when I don't take it, I don't have those symptoms"

ksbarent (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2015

"Was sick for a week with pneumonia and went to urgent care. 102F fever, cough, no appetite, severe fatigue. Prescribed Levaquin and started feeling better in 2-3 days. Fatigue and cough continued for several weeks. Lost 7 pounds. I did not experience any side effects at all. Would highly recommend this medication."

Ewock (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2014

"I had a high fever and was treated with Augmentin for a sinus infection but it turned into pneumonia. I was given Levaquin for 14 days 500 mg. It helped the pneumonia but it is hard on your stomach and I have now developed plantar fascitis."

Debbie doodles February 11, 2014

"Took it for 3 days. Numb skin, lips, hands and feet. I can't sense temperature. Heart rate irregular. Seeing cardiologist tomorrow. Severe pain in lower extremities, only when trying to sleep though! Oh and my legs feel like they weigh 200lbs each. Today is 11 days off of medicine and still no relief. "

WARNING BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! February 11, 2014

"Took Cipro for a pseudomonas infection and then five months later took Levaquin. Joint and tendon pain just kept getting worse and I'm still suffering from these side effects two months after discontinuing. "

The Owl. PhD (Physics) (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2013

"This medicine made me feel absolutely horrible. Funny chest feeling, foggy head, dizzy, and an overall bad feeling. Never want to take again. Last three days took 1/2 in a.m. and other 1/2 in p.m. That was a lot better. Have been off for about two weeks, and still a foggy and light headed. Do not want to take again ever. I am 71 years old and it is not recommended for older people."

Dirtroad Sal November 6, 2013

"I was hospitalized with pneumonia receiving Levaquin and fluids via IV. By the fifth day, the fever was gone and the cough was almost gone. I felt overwhelmingly tired for several weeks but my doctor said that is to be expected with pneumonia."

Diane MB September 3, 2013

"Went to the ER with severe coughing, chest pains and fever. After Xrays, CT scan and blood tests, I was diagnosed with pneumonia. The doc started me on Levaquin via IV and gave me a 5 day dose of 750mg. I am on day 4 and feel SO much better! Still coughing a little, but nothing compared to before!"

K.Charlene.T (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2013

"Adverse reaction to Levaquin. Extreme numbness and tingling in my fingers and toes, ongoing dry mouth. First prescribed a few years ago for an infection. After complaining about the numbness I was told to discard them and given another antibiotic. Went in this time for pneumonia and was given a tablet before I realized this was the same medication I had an adverse reaction to before. Experiencing the same reaction after only one tablet, it's now 3 days later. "

Bridalmack (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2013

"It worked great for my pneumonia but it caused my heart rate to go up, chest pain and anxiety. I would ask for a different one if you have heart issues or tachycardia."

Chrissy S June 18, 2013

"After six hours I began to feel relief. After day four, I'm close to 100% cured...but I have six more days to take Levaquin 750mg. I'm also eating a cup of yogurt per day. Make sure you drink lots of water with this medicine or you will feel horrible! Otherwise, I love it."

Snoop5118 April 5, 2013

"This antibiotic is really helping. I had horrible chest pain, mucus, hard time breathing, fever, etc. I was diagnosed with pneumonia and sinusitis. I was given a 10 day course of 500mg of Levaquin. I am on day 7 and only a few side effects. Minor dizziness, headaches, MAJOR fatigue and feeling of being in a fog. Overall tolerable but I cannot wait to be done! I feel pretty much back to normal with only a tickling cough left. Also I should note that I sleep VERY well and my appetite has not been affected. I am pleased considering how sick I was and the fact that other antibiotics made me feel horrible in the past."

CareBearMoore (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2012

"I am a serious marathon runner. Started suffering from strange respiratory problems 3 weeks before Chicago marathon. Flew into town to run with a 102f fever. Doctor prescribed this. Within 48 hours things started improving. Now 6 days in on 10 day treatment and most symptoms gone. No side effects. Didn't run marathon, but this medicine seemed to break a nasty infection."

murrayone October 12, 2011

"I got a severe allergic reaction after taking this medicine for 2 days: my lips were really swollen, fingers got swollen, I got skin rash. It seemed to be helping with the pneumonia though."

Anonymous August 1, 2011

"I went from bedridden to feeling good again in two days. I am on a 5 day plan and on day 3 some ankle aches and pressure in my head. Overall feeling a lot better."

Sherris ! June 23, 2011

"I am in the medical field and this is by far the best antibiotic you can get outside of the hospital. If you have a bacterial infection in your lungs and you want it to clear up right away then this is the medicine for you. On the downside it is a very expensive but at some point you get tired of being sick and realize it is worth every single penny. You will be well in no time!"

Anonymous January 25, 2011

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Seems to be the only antibiotic that will work for me."

Anonymous September 14, 2010