User Reviews for Levaquin

Levaquin Rating Summary

5.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 205 medications used in the treatment of Pneumonia.

Reviews for Levaquin to treat Pneumonia

"I was given a 5 day course of 750mg tablets. While it was effective in treating the pneumonia, I did experience several of the side effects that others here have documented : nausea, loss of appetite, insomnia, lower back pain . Hopefully now that I have completed the course these effects will subside."

Charley (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2018

"I have read all the bad reviews and I can honestly say this is a miracle drug. My only problem has been the inability to sleep....and believe me when you are sick with pneumonia you want to sleep. I end up probably taking too much melatonin and nighttime over the counter pills that helped with the sleep. I really wish I could take a much needed nap. The drug has made me feel so much better and very quickly!"

Debbie (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2018

"Kept me out of the hospital for a bad pneumonia."

MarissaL (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2018

"Fever went away after 4 days on med. Still coughing and congested after 7 days on antibiotic . Not feeling any better at all."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2018

"I'm on my 5th and final day of the Levofloxacin 750. I've never had anxiety issues or insomnia in my life, but from the moment I started it began. What kept me going with this was I know I needed it to clear up my infection, from the 2nd day on my coughing and phlegm is at a bare minimum. So while it's working it's dealing with being amped up so to speak. The doc also has me on Prenisone 10mg x2 a day which just increases the feelings that I've dealt with. But for those of you out there I tried Benadryl 1 tab at night since the 3rd night and I was actually able to sleep these last couple of nights a little."

Delectriman (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2018

"Let me start by saying when I was prescribed this med the reviews on here scared the stuffing out of me. I had been on other antibiotics for pneumonia for about a week and they did nothing. Dr wanted something stronger and gave me rx for Levaquin..plus oral steroids and inhaler. The only side effect I noticed was it was hard to sleep. (restless/jumpy) this could have been from the steroids also. I had no nausea or dizziness. No joint pain etc that a lot of the reviewers have noted. I did expect to feel better sooner rather than later with this strong antibiotic, however it did take the full 10 days and a few more to really start feeling better. I was happy with the outcome (and not needing to be in the hospital). I would not hesitate to take this medicine again. I had a clear chest xray on the 10th day. Levaquin did its job."

twinmom93 January 29, 2018

"I had a lung infection and the Dr put me on 5 day/750 elevation. It completely took away lung infection. The only thing was the insomnia, vivid nightmares and a bit pain in left upper leg but like nothing. I recommend it if infection is bad! For the nightmares I been taking xanax which helps"

Maui boy January 24, 2018

"Had some side effects. Mostly sore joints some diarrhea. First round of antibiotics did not work azrithomyacin. Seemed better after first pill."

pneo January 8, 2018

"I have had pneumonia seven times the past ten years due to asthma and being a teacher, and the only medicine that has helped it has been levaquin. Never had any tendon issues or soreness although I have heard of the risk. At this point, I'd rather take tendon issues than be in a hospital fighting pneumonia with whatever meds and high hospital bills. I attribute a better reaction to it, however, to being fit and eating clean. You can't blame a reaction solely on a particular medication. There are so many other variables."

TeacherRia December 19, 2017

"I had pneumonia & had been sick for 2 weeks. The Dr. had prescribed another antibiotic & steroids first. When I wasn't better, the Dr. prescribed Levaquin. The first day was ok, just really tired. The second day I started having joint pain & my ribs were really hurting (not from coughing)& still really exhausted. By the third day I could barely walk because of my knees being so swollen & painful & hard to breathe because of the rib pain. Called the Dr. & he said to get off of it & come in for blood tests. I have been off of it for almost 2 weeks & still can barely walk & the ribs are still really sore. After reading the rest of the stories, it makes me very angry that this drug and it's family is still out there to harm people. RIDICULOUS!"

Rnchrgrl November 23, 2017

"I was diagnosed with pneumonia and was given levaquin 750 mg for 10 days. I'm on day 6 and everyday I get fever, shivers and chills not to mention the extremely bad headaches!!I'm going to let levaquin go !! I am going to throw the rest of the pills. I have no idea how do they prescribe it!"

Levaquinnleavemealone November 19, 2017

"I was prescribed Levaquin for pneumonia. After two days I felt so much better. I had some lower back pain which I expected as I know medications well. I am a practicing RN for 23 years. My appetite was poor but has improved. I had some mouth pain with probable thrush related to the antibiotic. 750 mg x 5 days was worth it!!"

Nurcyn (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017

"Levaquin and its generic are Fluoroqunilone antibiotics. The FDA has issued a Black Box Warning -- the most severe warning it can issue -- on all Fluoroquinolone antibiotics because they cause so many horrible, longterm side effects (like permanent tendonitis, vision problems, and more). Fluoroqunilones break down the mitochondria of cells, leading to cell death. This damage cannot be reversed."

TPera (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2017

"This is horrible medicine. My arms are so sore can hardly move them I have never ached so bad."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2017

"I had been on another antibiotic for 3 weeks. When I went in for a recheck, I still had pneumonia, so was put on Levaquin for 5 days. The first day I took it in the morning & it made me light headed, so I decided to take it @ night. It would cause me to wake up throughout the night. I would also have a burning sensation in my chest & get hot. I went back in for a checkup & the x-ray showed that some parts had improved, but some parts were worse. I was referred to a pulmonologist. I feel like it was too strong for my body."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2017

"Although the levaquin did help my pneumonia symptoms, the side effects were terrible! I discontinued after 6 days, but still have side effects 3 weeks later! Severe foot pain and muscle spasms and unusual bleeding and bruising along with thinning of the skin. I have purple blood spots all over and my skin will tear with the slightest nick. The pain was up one entire leg but started in my foot. My foot hurts 24 hours a day with a burning feeling that does not respond to massage therapy. Pain pills are only minimally effective. I would never take it again. Also causes insomnia."

Anonymous May 6, 2017

"Age 63. I developed pneumonia from a respiratory infection passed on from my wife the school teacher. Once a day Levaquin knocked out the pneumonia in 5 days and an x-ray on day 7 my lungs were clear. On day 9 I developed tendonitis in my shoulder replacement that had been in place for 3 years. I was prescribed a high power NSAID by the orthopedic surgeon. After 3 weeks. I turned out fine."

PJI2000 (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2017

"This is Michael's daughter Elyssa. I am his voice now since he was misdiagnosed with double pneumonia and given Levaquin. IT KILLED HIM. What more do you need to know? Don't take it. "

Michael Goldmam May 3, 2017

"This drug is GARBAGE and should be taken off the Market. I was hospitalized with pneumonia. The doctor prescribed it for me when I was released from the hospital. It has destroyed my appetite as well as my stomach. I can't sleep. I am nauseous every day. I have 2 more doses to take. I decided not to take them. I can't tolerate all the side effects."

Conjos (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2017

"Must of been allergic, made me itch"

Onakl February 27, 2017

"Too expensive for fixed income patients. Classified as a tier 3 drug."

Storeyjwf January 10, 2017

"I was being treated for pneumonia. Levaquin seems too be knocking down the pneumonia down after two rounds of another antibiotic seemed ineffective. I m now 8 days out from my last dose and feel awful. The joint pain is horrific. I used to exercise, don't know if I will ever be able again. DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG. If your insurance allows opt for hospital care."

kredlady (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2016

"A HORRIBLE DRUG. BEWARE I was diagnosed with pneumonia one week ago at the local emergency room. The ER doctor gave me 1 pill of Levaquin and I took 2 more from the pharmacy. I took a total of 3 500 MG pills that gave me constant, deep, sore pain in my arms from my shoulders to my elbows. The pain was so bad on day 3 that I could hardly drive a car, put on a seatbelt, put on a shirt or turn on a light switch. I stopped taking the drug and went to my family doctor for a different antibiotic. Neither the ER doctor or the family doctor knew anything about muscle and tendon problems. I'm really angry about this. I am over 60 with no big health problems and don't appreciate being poisoned."

HG1954 (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2016

"I started having trouble about 1 month after i finished my prescription. I have severe joint pain from my hips down. I was a very active person, walking 6-7 miles a day, now i barely get 2 because my feet & knees hurt so bad."

Char4u2lv September 15, 2016

"Prescribed Levaquin for 5 days. 5 to 10 days after completing medication, which killed the pneumonia, I started to have joint pain. Now, over two months after taking this medication I am pretty much disabled. I have what is now called Fluoroquinolone induced tendonapathy in my shoulders, elbows, wrists, hips, knees and ankles. I also suffer from neurological changes that effect my sense of touch and I feel like I am suffering from mild electric shocks all over my body. I wish I would not have been given this antibiotic. It has slowly destroyed my quality of life."

WickedVision September 7, 2016