User Reviews for Levaquin

Learn more about Levaquin.

Levaquin Rating Summary

5.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 205 medications used in the treatment of Pneumonia.

Reviews for Levaquin to treat Pneumonia

"Levaquin and its generic are Fluoroqunilone antibiotics. The FDA has issued a Black Box Warning -- the most severe warning it can issue -- on all Fluoroquinolone antibiotics because they cause so many horrible, longterm side effects (like permanent tendonitis, vision problems, and more). Fluoroqunilones break down the mitochondria of cells, leading to cell death. This damage cannot be reversed."

TPera (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is horrible medicine. My arms are so sore can hardly move them I have never ached so bad."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had been on another antibiotic for 3 weeks. When I went in for a recheck, I still had pneumonia, so was put on Levaquin for 5 days. The first day I took it in the morning & it made me light headed, so I decided to take it @ night. It would cause me to wake up throughout the night. I would also have a burning sensation in my chest & get hot. I went back in for a checkup & the x-ray showed that some parts had improved, but some parts were worse. I was referred to a pulmonologist. I feel like it was too strong for my body."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Although the levaquin did help my pneumonia symptoms, the side effects were terrible! I discontinued after 6 days, but still have side effects 3 weeks later! Severe foot pain and muscle spasms and unusual bleeding and bruising along with thinning of the skin. I have purple blood spots all over and my skin will tear with the slightest nick. The pain was up one entire leg but started in my foot. My foot hurts 24 hours a day with a burning feeling that does not respond to massage therapy. Pain pills are only minimally effective. I would never take it again. Also causes insomnia."

Anonymous May 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Age 63. I developed pneumonia from a respiratory infection passed on from my wife the school teacher. Once a day Levaquin knocked out the pneumonia in 5 days and an x-ray on day 7 my lungs were clear. On day 9 I developed tendonitis in my shoulder replacement that had been in place for 3 years. I was prescribed a high power NSAID by the orthopedic surgeon. After 3 weeks. I turned out fine."

PJI2000 (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is Michael's daughter Elyssa. I am his voice now since he was misdiagnosed with double pneumonia and given Levaquin. IT KILLED HIM. What more do you need to know? Don't take it. "

Michael Goldmam May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug is GARBAGE and should be taken off the Market. I was hospitalized with pneumonia. The doctor prescribed it for me when I was released from the hospital. It has destroyed my appetite as well as my stomach. I can't sleep. I am nauseous every day. I have 2 more doses to take. I decided not to take them. I can't tolerate all the side effects."

Conjos (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Must of been allergic, made me itch"

Onakl February 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Too expensive for fixed income patients. Classified as a tier 3 drug."

Storeyjwf January 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was being treated for pneumonia. Levaquin seems too be knocking down the pneumonia down after two rounds of another antibiotic seemed ineffective. I m now 8 days out from my last dose and feel awful. The joint pain is horrific. I used to exercise, don't know if I will ever be able again. DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG. If your insurance allows opt for hospital care."

kredlady (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"A HORRIBLE DRUG. BEWARE I was diagnosed with pneumonia one week ago at the local emergency room. The ER doctor gave me 1 pill of Levaquin and I took 2 more from the pharmacy. I took a total of 3 500 MG pills that gave me constant, deep, sore pain in my arms from my shoulders to my elbows. The pain was so bad on day 3 that I could hardly drive a car, put on a seatbelt, put on a shirt or turn on a light switch. I stopped taking the drug and went to my family doctor for a different antibiotic. Neither the ER doctor or the family doctor knew anything about muscle and tendon problems. I'm really angry about this. I am over 60 with no big health problems and don't appreciate being poisoned."

HG1954 (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started having trouble about 1 month after i finished my prescription. I have severe joint pain from my hips down. I was a very active person, walking 6-7 miles a day, now i barely get 2 because my feet & knees hurt so bad."

Char4u2lv September 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prescribed Levaquin for 5 days. 5 to 10 days after completing medication, which killed the pneumonia, I started to have joint pain. Now, over two months after taking this medication I am pretty much disabled. I have what is now called Fluoroquinolone induced tendonapathy in my shoulders, elbows, wrists, hips, knees and ankles. I also suffer from neurological changes that effect my sense of touch and I feel like I am suffering from mild electric shocks all over my body. I wish I would not have been given this antibiotic. It has slowly destroyed my quality of life."

WickedVision September 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Permanently damaged and disabled from 500mg x 2 levaquin. Check the black box warnings. I was healthy young person. Started experiencing side effects a few hours after administration. Adverse reactions got worse. it's been almost 5 YEARS and have bodywide peripheral neuropathy, bodywide tendonosis, dry mouth eyes, nose, tinnitus, crepitus all over. The drug is poison and destroys human as well as bacterial mtDNA. Just google "Fluoroquinolone toxicity." There are safer alternatives for pneumonia. Don't ruin your life with this garbage that the FDA has failed to remove from the market."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hospitalized with fever. Took it for 3 days. Doctor couldn't find out where or what type of bacteria I had. This medicine is definitely the highest form of antibiotic for bacteria or infected by anthrax. Leaves a bad foul nasty taste in your mouth and when you blow your nose. Made me so sick to my stomache, it made me cough up bad tasting phlemg and gag at the same time. Doctors need to really take this medicine more seriously. I refuse to take anymore of this crap."

Mindy lynne (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Stay away from this medicine!!! It's horrible!!! It caused me to develop depersonalization/depression. It also made me feel anxious and confused. I really haven't been the same since I took it."

Jack1513 August 8, 2016

"Ruptured tendons..."

Anonymous May 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"750 mg dosage for five days apparently cleared pneumonia, but now, six weeks later, I still feel some side effects of pain and swelling in ankles and feet that immobilized me immediately after taking. Additional side effects included internal bleeding in ankle area, black toes, areas of skin on lower leg showing bruise like areas. Difficulty walking due to stiff and painful joints in feet and ankles."

Nonegiven (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just finished a 7 day course of Levaquin (500 mg oral tabs) for pneumonia. My infection was not severe, but I noticed effects practically immediately. Within 24 hours I felt so much better. It did make me slightly nauseous at first, until I began taking it only on a full stomach. Did not notice any other side effects. I drank a LOT of water while I was sick, which may have helped."

FeelingMuchBetter (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given this Horrific medication as my provider thought I had pneumonia and after taking it for 8 days, I could hardly walk and my knees were stiff and I could not get up or put any weight on my legs. My hands were swollen and I could not make a fist or open my water bottle. This Drug should be taken off the market immediately!!!! How can a physician in good conscience prescribe this medication to anyone? I just hope that I am not a permanently crippled by this medication. My chest X-ray came back negative to I did not even need an antibiotic and just needed a cough medicine and Mucinex to clear up my cough. The one time I did not have time to read the drug information because I was moving and my doctor decides to prescribe me this!!!"

Rita Ma (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Sure it got rid of the pneumonia. But at what cost??? Bad anxiety terrible pain in knees and ankles. I was given xanax to deal with the side effects of the levaquin. Never taking this agin."

Nrem24 (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have pneumonia in both lungs for the second time in 35 days. I was hospitalized this time though, so it's definitely worse the the first illness. The only side effect I've noticed is nausea. If I drink water quickly, I immediately feel the need to throw up. Problem is that I'm always thirsty. I am home now thank goodness, still sick but I have what I need. I left AMA because I've got four kids with Christmas on their brains. Hopefully my pills will do the trick."

INeedCoffee December 24, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Levaquin seems to be the only antibiotic that actually helped clear up my lungs...it is just very unfortunate that it has such awful side effects. I contracted a yeast infection after 2 days. The medication made me an absolute insomniac! There was no way to sleep, which made things worse. I am willing to deal with these side effects to get better, but it's certainly not for those who don't want to deal with possibly getting worse before they get better. I am 23."

Lizzietonnie October 25, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Came down with pneumonia and this medicine fixed me right up. Was on it for 10 days and the only side effect I noticed was feeling extra tired, but that could have been the pneumonia as well. Wonderful experience."

floatingwithellipsis (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed levaquin for pneumonia. And yes it treats pneumonia, but the nausea and overall feeling of stomach cramps and brain fogginess made me quit five days in, I had to work or at least talk to clients and the way the levaquin made me feel I couldn't do that. I could barely talk try family, let alone friends, I felt so bad. I quit the levaquin, but most likely will need another antibiotic. Because the lung rattling and the whistling noises when I breathe are back, but no fever yet. It absolutely was the levaquin making me so sick to my stomach because when I don't take it, I don't have those symptoms"

ksbarent (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2015