User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 41 reviews 29 medications

Urinary Tract Infection 412 reviews 188 medications

4.9
Bladder Infection 195 reviews 82 medications

4.9
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 648 reviews 5.6

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

For Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed 6 pills for a bladder infection I got after a surgery. I took the first dose, 1 pill, on Friday evening. Everything seemed fine until Saturday afternoon. By this time I had taken 2 pills. A severe headache settled in so I took some Tylenol. I started to noticed I was getting really gassy. The medicine also started working at this point. It was no longer painful urinating the entire time but rather only as the bladder became empty. Took my 3rd pill and went to bed. Woke up around 4am feeling like I had the flu. Skin was hot, body aches, and I had chills. Headache was also back ten fold. Now the gas has turned into painful gas cramps. I won't be taking more until I talk to my doc Monday morning."

Sdmapps June 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed Nitrofurantoin(7 days) after Trimethoprim wasn't working after 3 days. What started as a urine infection got further up and spread to bladder & kidneys. I immediately looked online at reviews of Nitrofurantoin and was scared to death about taking it after what I read. I took it at 8am and 8pm WITH food (just 2 slices of toast or 2 weetabix was enough for me to not feel sick after taking it) BUT for me, if I got up and tried to do too much just after taking the tablet I'd feel a bit sick. So for the first hour after taking it i'd just sit and relax and then I'd be fine! The only side effect I got was a bit of a dry mouth. I started feeling the tablet working after 2 days. Definitely recommend this! U.K. England"

Tot3690 June 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "After reading so many horror stories I was terrified to take this. But my UTI was unbearable so I decided there was no other option. I have taken it with food and a few hours later I pop a few good probiotics. I am on day 4 and still have not experienced any of the awful symptoms described here. I did notice a headache the first day and slight nausea but that went away once I ate. My UTI symptoms diminished after 24 hours and I am one happy camper! Lesson learned - the internet causes anxiety! lol"

cristina_weena (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I took this drug after being prescribed it for a UTI. I read some reviews after feeling a little weird but figured I would push through. I called my doctor after taking two pills and the nurse told me to wait it out and see if it gets worse. Things got worse very quick. What began as a little bit of nausea, ended with body aches, leg cramps, intense chills, night sweats, dizziness, confusion, to fainting twice (terrifying), to getting a vaginal infection because of this drug. My UTI symptoms have gotten better, but the pain from my VI is unbearable, and how I feel from this drug is terrible. NOT worth it...do not take this drug. P.S. I only got through taking FOUR pills, out of my prescribed ten. I am going to the doctor today, again.:("

Adele1995 June 13, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "After having severe headache and vomiting with a sulfa drug, I was put on Macrobid for my UTI. I got a little headache after second dose, but popped a Tylenol. Also, made sure I took my pills with food. I was able to finish the full regimen and although the UTI took a bit longer to get kicked out, the Macrobid worked. It really wasn't bad at all to take. I have many food allergies, too, and was able to tolerate Macrobid pretty well."

Missalergies (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Omg, these tablets have completely wrote me off!! I have never felt so poorly - I suffer from UTI's and kidney infections frequently and this is the first time I've taken this anti biotic. After taking second dose I woke up feeling sick and was then vomiting agressively for hours. My stomach feels like its in bits and my head feels as if it's going to fall off at any given moment - haven't left my bed all day!! Never had this issue before will definitely be stopping these as can't cope with feeling like I'm going to die. On the plus side my UTI seems to have cleared up...."

Layla8815 June 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Works great, little side effects. I will get a little stomach upset if I don't take with food, which you should do. I am not sure why the reviews are bad unless you are allergic. My UTI symptoms start to disappear with one pill. Fast relief."

Angiehelp13 June 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I've had a few UTI's in the past and I've always received other antibiotics (even though I go to the same clinic). They gave me Nitrofurantoin yesterday and after taking the first pill (on an empty stomach) I was tired after an hour but it didn't bother me at all. I didn't have any headaches or nausea just the feeling of an empty stomach. My boyfriend said I looked exhausted but I really felt fine. I'm on my period so I already have some ill feelings from that. I just took my second pill this morning and it already feels better when I pee. I definitely think this pill should be taken right after a meal because it is strong but it does what it's supposed to do. In order to prevent another UTI you need this!"

Lin. (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "The second I took my first pill instant relief! It took away the heavy pressure and by the 2nd one could go to the washroom normally. But itchy and thats ok I dealt with it"

lashgirl June 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have a hyper sensitive system to medications, but didn't experience most of these symptoms. I did, however, have muscle and tendon issues. I've had many UTI's over the years and after taking the full week's dosage, This medication ddi not work at all for me. I had 2 pill/day x 7 days got 0 results. Still in pain and have the urgency thing going on. Doctor wanted to refer me to a urologist. What a racket!!! Give me my Cipro back. It's the ONLY thing that works for me."

Monica2366 June 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Awful medicine, the worst. The side effects outweigh the benefit. Headache the first night, leg and back pain, Sensitive skin, just awful. Pain got worse and worse. I changed my meds to ciproflaxcin. I have used this in the past so hopefully, it will continue to help. I even questioned the doc at urgent care to see if I can take cipro and she offered macrobid. Maybe this urgent care and this medication is something they get a deal on....stay away from macrobid."

Mirchi (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I get UTIs pretty frequently, so as soon as I felt the symptoms coming on I went to an urgent care. The first day of macrobid I got a headache. The second day I had severe headache, body aches, weakness and malaise. However, I thought it was just my illness, because I have never had an experience like this with medication before. Day 3, I am in hell and sicker than a dog. Severe headache, nausea, light headed, weak, fatigued. I called in for Bactrim. DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION. I get that not everyone has this reaction, but the risk is not worth it to me."

normalworkingwoman (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) after my UTI had not gone away with the first antibiotic! It definitely took care of my UTI, but the side effects were and are enough for me to never take this drug again! While I took this I suffered from aches that moved all over, nausea, headaches, my ribs almost felt bruised and it seemed to make my eyes get super tired at night, as I was exhausted a lot of the time anyways! I stopped taking it 2 days ago, and still have muscle aches and muscle tiredness, and it still feels like my lungs are trying to recover from it too. I'm hoping by the end of the week all of these side effects are completely gone. I was healthy aside from the UTI before I began taking this. Definitely wouldn't recommend it."

jessdip June 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was scared out of my wits to take this antibiotic after reading these reviews but I am here to put your minds at ease. I'm highly allergic to penicillin & NSAIDs (Ibuprofen) so I have wicked medication anxiety when it comes to taking anything new. I had to take this for 5 days & I was warned when I received this medication that it would cause dizziness, nausea, upset stomach, and loose stools. Which is all I experienced with this pill. On the first day I had nausea, upset stomach, & diarrhea, the second day I had nausea & dizziness, on the 3rd day I had nausea, upset stomach, & diarrhea. The every other day of symptoms pattern continued the whole time I took this. Make sure you have a full stock of toilet paper at home. Pill tastes nasty"

M00000 June 2, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I've been taking macrobid (well the generic version) for three days and I woke up this morning feeling AWFUL. I had a migraine all day yesterday but didn't really associate it with anything as I suffer from them often. This morning I woke up nauseous, dizzy and achy all over. I just took another dose and it occurred to me that the medication might be causing my symptoms so I looked it up and from all the reviews here it seems pretty common. I want my UTI to be cleared up but I don't want to continue feeling like this for four more days."

Albrowne (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Lack of sleep, problem sleeping, lying down then falling into a void Anxiety. Had NONE of these side affects before taking this medicine, I slept soundly before ...."

Cheryl 72 May 27, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Avoid this medication AT ALL COSTS! Although it may not cause side effects for some, I was one of the many unlucky ones who experienced terrible problems. I have never had a problem with any antibiotics except Sulfa drugs before, but this medication left me nauseated, vomiting, dealing with chills for hours, shaking so hard I couldn't move, and with a terrible headache. I haven't taken a dose in 12 hours (with my doctor's suggestion), and the headache is just now going away. It took about 8 hours for the shaking to stop. At one point it was so bad that I thought I was going to have to go to the ER. I was only two doses in, as well. This was worse than the Sulfa reaction I had!"

Skathlee May 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Three days of discomfort and burning and I knew it was my familiar old friend -- a UTI. After a lab test confirming what I already knew, I was prescribed nitrofurantoin for a UTI. Note -- maybe it's just me, but within an hour of the initial dose my discomfort peaked and I felt a spike in pain -- but three hours later the pain has definitely subsided and that terrible feeling of constantly needing to pee has decreased. Took with food as suggested and didn't notice any side effects."

Sflady May 24, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This drug put me in the ER last night. I've had UTIs before and have taken cipro, etc, without issue, but yesterday I was prescribed Nitrofurantoin for the first time. Approximately two hours after taking it, I felt like I was going to throw up, and shortly thereafter, I became severely winded after climbing just one flight of stairs. I sat on the floor trying to breathe for almost a full hour and just couldn't catch my breath. Then, I began shaking uncontrollably and was told I needed to go to the ER as they thought my windpipe was inflamed and closing up. I arrived to the hospital visibly shaking, my fever shot up, and I spent several hours being monitored and given pills to counter-act the Nitro before they let me leave. Terrifying."

shan415 May 9, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Scary drug for me. I took it for a UTI one month ago and developed a small rash around my ankles and felt "winded" breathing feeling for the first two days, but then was fine. Unfortunately contracted another UTI this month, and took Nitrofurantoin again-- terrifying experience! After the second dose I developed long lasting chills, but my skin felt very hot. Painful cramping in my legs. Red rash all over my thighs. Migraine headache. Extreme fatigue, but could not fall asleep. The worst part was that I eventually could barely breathe, my heart was racing, and had to administer Epipen then head straight for ER. This medication works, but I unfortunately experienced severe side effects and therefore cannot recommend it."

Jayfloyd (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed Nitrofurantoin in 2006 for chronic UTIs. I took it daily for 2-1/2 years. In 2008 at age 67, I began experiencing serious coughing episodes. I had no known allergies and no known respiratory issues. I went to Health Centre. After multiple tests, I was diagnosed with Interstitial Lung Disease. When I told the doctors about my history of taking Nitrofurantoin for UTI's, they informed me that one of the side affects of this medication is respiratory problems. They also informed me that anyone 60+ should not take nitrofurantoin for an extended period (2-1/2 years). Therefore, they concluded that my lung disease was the direct result of taking Nitrofurantoin for an unreasonable period of time."

Eliz 75 May 4, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Interesting reading about the flu like symptoms after coming back from our holiday with a UTI. I started the pills on Monday and that night I had all the flu symptoms and it was horrible but never thought it was the antibiotics so thank you. I'm covered in a rash which isn't itchy thank goodness but wow it's everywhere. Only 5 days worth but it's working. Thanks for sharing."

Canadian gal May 3, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Been on and off this Medication for two years, seems to help a great deal. I'm back on it due to urinary tract infection again, seems since I've turned 50 I keep getting them. Seen an Urologist two weeks ago and was told to keep taking this for the next four months."

Lklinger (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 3, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Ended up with a pretty bad UTI Friday afternoon & unable to see my primary Doctor that same day. I knew the symptoms as such since I had experienced one UTI's in the past (2). By Saturday the next morning I was sitting in the lobby of walk in clinic in desperation. I was seen by Doctor & prescribed Nitrofurantoin 100mg 1 tab every 12 hours. I am not a big advocate of pill popping, but I knew this was serious. I have to say that within 6 hours of taking my 1st dose, I was already feeling a bit of relief. I'm on my 3rd day & pain is gone!!. The only symptom I have noticed is an occasional headache & kind of a lethargic overall feeling. Other than that I am really happy that I'm on the road to a full recovery."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took this medication for a UTI. Started on a Friday. It's now Monday, and I was told by my gyno office to stop. They told me the side effects I was experiencing were not normal for the medication. Have to head to the hospital to see what's up. Here is what I experienced: 1. Constant nausea 2. Headaches 3. Weak muscles and stiff joints 4. Blurry vision. Made it hard to walk up and down stairs, started to gag if I moved too quickly 5. Tired. Oh so tired. If it is the medication, then this is awful. The side effects are worse than the UTI. I've never had a problem with any other antibiotic medication."

BCA927 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2017