User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Urinary Tract Infection
4.5

Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 4.7 1,005 reviews

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "On my 3rd day of the drug. Cleared up UTI really quickly but the side effect I have suffered from is really bad dizziness. Haven't been able to do anything for a couple of days for fear of falling over. It's horrendous. Last tablet tonight so hoping this will soon be over. Never want these again "

millymouse (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took this for UTI, this medicine started clearing up the symptoms on Day 2. I had a bit of fatigue and nausea but tolerable. Better than the discomfort the infection caused."

Ray (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Terrible medicine. Took it first day as prescribed with food. Within a couple hours I was down and out. Fever, aches, pains, horrible nausea, vomiting. Trying to avoid going to ER but might end up there if it doesn't wear off soon. Never taking it again."

Juju October 12, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "OMG was given this yesterday by GP for bladder infection, NEVER in my life will l take this again. Took first one, felt like l wasn't on this planet. Felt very dizzy, tightness in my chest, felt sick, tingling arms. I had to just wait it out till it was out of my system. I nearly called an ambulance l felt so ill. Went back to GP today told him and got a drug l have used before. With so many negative comments about this drug, why is it still available? BE WARNED!"

sunny (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2018

For Bladder Infection: "The Dr wrote me out the prescription for Nitrofurantoin, initially all seemed ok, and I took 5 minutes after food, a few days in I read further up on these and thought I’d been given irrelevant tablets, but it turned out these were not the case. The more I’ve taken these, the less of an appetite I’ve had, the more severe the nausea has been, the upset tummy thing happened once. As for the whole point in being on them for my bladder, the urine uncomfortableness got worse and probably only on day 6 of taking the tablets felt better. But on day 6 I felt like I was back to square one, chills then too warm, horrible experience. I am on the verge of going back to the doctors if the crazy sweats doesn’t sort it self out, I’m hoping as this is my first day without taking them that I’ll feel better. The headaches were awful, the last one I had, virtually reduced me to tears but didn’t want to take paracetamol as I had previously done as I wasn’t sure if that made me feel more sick."

T (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have taken this several times for a UTI and did not have any problems at all! Do eat when taking it!"

Indykrus (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 8, 2018

For Bladder Infection: "By the third day of taking med 100mg every 12 hrs my UTI symptoms were better but I was now having chills, nausea, pounding headache, arms and legs ache like the flu, excruciating lower back pain, heavy pelvic feeling, unsettled anxious feeling throughout my nerves and couldn’t work for a week. I returned to doctor but she kept me on it as my urine was neg at this point, day 4 and labs perfect. It just occurred to me now at day 5 after taking my 9th and 10th doses today that it’s shortly after taking med all the symptoms start over. It’s awful, flulike. I’m calling MD in morning. And after googling it I found proof others have had same. Thought I was going crazy!!!!!"

Kathleen (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I started taking for a UTI. The first day I started feeling tingling in my thighs. I called the dr office asked if this was normal to experience with a UTI as it was my first. She said yes that's normal. Over the next couple of days my fingers and legs started twitching. I thought I maybe had a herniated disc. On the 5th night I had twitching tingling down my legs felt as if I was going paralyzed. I drove myself to the ER. I told 3 nurses and the ER dr I have tingling my legs and they feel weak. They all asked if I was taking meds I told them yea I'm taking macrobid for UTI. He said my legs were strong and I had a pulse in them he saw nothing emergent. I went home thinking I was crazy. I took the macrobid 2 more days. The day I stopped my fingers stopped twitching. It is 3 weeks later now. I have just found this info that macrobid can cause permanent neuropathy. I'm so scared and angry with these Drs. Going to see a new md tomorrow to see what I can do??"

Very scared October 5, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Earlier today I got this for a UTI, and I have not stopped throwing up for over 12 hours. I'm fatigued, starving, sweaty, my head is pounding and I'm miserable. I would never wish this on my worst enemy. DON'T TAKE THIS"

anon (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Took this for a UTI. Didn’t experience any bad side effects, UTI symptoms cleared very quickly so I have no complaints about that. The only thing is I noticed is it turned my urine a bright neon yellow almost greenish which freaked me out until I realized it was probably just a side effect. Sure enough it says right on the bottle that it may change the color of your urine or feces."

Neonurine (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Felt great day 1 bladder symptoms resolving. After day 2 had similar adverse reactions as others - horrendous diarrhea, cramps, sweats, nausea, short of breath, headache, clammy skin, anxiety and racing heart. I took this once before about 20 years ago and it was fine. This time it was awful. Pushed myself through 5.5 days but had to stop. I hope these side effects go away soon this is wretched. I need to get back to my life. Have not gotten out of bed for 2 days."

Patu (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2018

For Bladder Infection: "Have very mild UTI; totally unaware of it, but infection showed up in urine sample. PA prescribed Nitrofurantoin 40 MG. Took one with supper. Woke up with headache and muscle pain. Took 2nd pill after breakfast. As day wore on felt lousy like coming down with flu: coughing, headache, chills, slight fever, body aching and nausea. Ate very small lunch, took one more pill, as prescribed. Ate no supper because of nausea. When I began to look like death warmed over, husband called 911 and I was transported to nearby hospital. Urine sample taken and UTI still showed up. Still feeling very nauseated with muscle pains. BP 120 over 40; given something intravenously to stop nausea. Within 10 minutes all nausea gone. Released 3 hours later. Felt pretty good next day. All flu symptoms GONE!"

ZandyDandy (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "If a doctor prescribes this antibiotic do not take it! This antibiotic was the beginning of my intestinal health issues leading to colitis. I can say this with 100% certainty! Stay away from it!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I am on my 5th day of this treatment for an acute UTI. I felt it working within the first 6 hours of taking it. It didn't get rid of my symptoms right away, but it took the worst of the symptoms away within a day. The other symptoms faded more slowly. As far as side effects, I did experience mild nausea, a bit of abdominal pain, and loss of appetite. Compared to the excruciating symptoms of the UTI I can live with these side effects. This is the 5th day of treatment, and the first day that I can say, I am symptom free."

ash (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I went to urgent care to get medication for UTI and doctor prescribed Macrobid. I took the first pill around lunch, and felt totally fine, and took the second after dinner. I woke up the next morning and had terrible nausea, fatigue, and diarrhea. I though I ate something strange the night before and continued to take my medicine twice a day. The next morning, same deal, fatigue, diarrhea, nausea, and this time, vomiting. It cleared up around the afternoon. My doctor recommends taking a probiotic a few hours before/ after taking an antiobiotic to lessen the effects of diarrhea and nausea. MAKE SURE you eat and drink plenty of water. It’s has helped, however, I switched to another antibiotic. If you have a sensitive gut like mine, I would try another antibiotic!"

Mboat (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed a 3-day dose of Macrobid to clear up a UTI. The only negative side effect I found was extreme fatigue - to the point where I was nearly falling asleep at work. It also turns your pee bright yellow/green, almost neon. I was hesitant because there were so many negative reviews, but this worked fine for me. I found that the symptoms of my UTI cleared up shortly after taking the first pill."

MBE (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: "Just wanted to input to help others if they have any same side effects I had. I got prescribed Macrobid for bladder infection. Took two doses, woke up the next day feeling awful, weird cloudy headache, couldn't think, felt so weak but still took my next dose. Then hour later I started to get very emotional and panicky and all of a sudden started to be sick around 4 times, I couldn't breath properly because I began having a panic attack that sent my pulse to 119, blood pressure was raised and lips and chest were numb, honestly swear to god I was dying. I then called 111 because I was in such a state and they called an ambulance. I was then checked over and given amoxicillin. Will never take again. No wonder it's black and yellow, thats a clear warning. Props to those that could survive it, I clearly am too much of a weakling to handle this insane, wasp looking substance."

Zard September 26, 2018

For Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed this medication for 3 days initially and felt better by day 4. I carried on with daily life and a week later my symptoms 're appeared. I was doubled up in pain a week and a half later and called up for a home visit. This time tests were done and was awaiting MSU (mid stream urine) test results results. In the meantime my GP prescribed me this antibiotic again and I felt worse! I have had a severe headache and nausea for 5 days and I am not taking anymore of it!!!!! I will check my urine analysis test results and request something else. It's a horrendous medication going by my experience. NEVER AGAIN as most comments say. I would rather have symptoms of a UTI!!!! My whole head feels like a crash helmet is slowly being tightened on my whole head and smells make me sick!"

Nawarj (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I’ve been having issues from urinating a lot, to sharp pains for 3 months and after 3 months of taking different things and going to the ER they diagnosed me with a UTI and prescribed me “ Nitrofurantoin macrocrystals “. I’ve been on it for 7 days now and I’ve experienced terrible headaches, neck pains, dizziness, loss of appetite, and nausea. I've felt the worst I’ve ever felt BUT this is the first time I’ve felt relieved from any UTI symptoms in 3 months and that’s the only thing that matters. Yes, the side effects aren’t the best but it gets the job done and for your health just take the medication. Don’t stop it because you feel like garbage, it’ll be done shortly it’s only 5-7 days of being on it and in the end the results make up for it cause now your completely healthy. Don’t be scared of all these reviews, you’ll get through it don’t be worried. The best thing you can do is relax, rest, sleep, and don’t get worked up and worried. You’ll be A OK!"

Trikay12113 September 25, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "An ER doctor prescribed Nitrofurantoin for a UTI. When I got home I checked out the side effects of this drug. One of the side effects was liver damage, are they kidding me???? Taking this drug is slow dangerous. Monday, I saw my urologist and he my urine test was negative. YAH! I put the Nitrofurantoin in the trash. Glad I didn't take any of this medication (:"

Texas Guy September 25, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have been taking this for going on 4 out of 5 days. I had some nausea the first day, but nothing too bad, very orange pee. The second day nothing but the third day my face and lips have been very dehydrated- my lips are chapped etc. Only one more day!"

Misspoppits (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was really worried about taking macrobid after reading reviews but so glad I did, it cleared up the UTI, I had no side effects whatsoever, I was on 100mg twice a day which I always took with food. Would definitely take again."

Decoylady (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 24, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Everything was fine until the 3rd day of my 5 day trial on Macrobid. I experienced severe nausea and was very close to vomiting. My body was aching so bad I couldn’t move. Thankfully after the 3 days, my UTI did part it’s ways. I won’t ever touch that antibiotic again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2018

For Bladder Infection: "Prescribed 100mg twice daily for 3 days to treat a urine infection. Worked after the first dose however side effects were almost immediate and unbearable: chills, aching muscles and joints, lethargy but inability to sleep due to restlessness in painful legs, trapped wind and stomach pain. It cleared the infection but left me feeling horrendous. I have one tablet to take and I am actually frightened to take it. I felt so ill this morning that my sister took me to an urgent care centre but they didn't believe it was a side effect of this drug. I know it is. My urine was clear so no longer toxic from the infection."

Bingo (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "On day 4 of this medication. First couple of days I was tired and had a headache. Could be from the meds or the UTI. Now that has gone but now have some aching down the backs of my legs. Could be the meds or the heels I wore yesterday"

Bo (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...