User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 38 reviews 29 medications

7.2
Urinary Tract Infection 355 reviews 185 medications

4.9
Bladder Infection 179 reviews 81 medications

4.8
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 572 reviews 5.6

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Brilliant. Day 3 of taking microbid and UTI cleared up. Still 4 more days to go. Very happy."

Zen1 (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: "I have had recurring uti's for 5 decades. I've been on macrobid for a couple of years. I've found it does help prevent the kidney and bladder infections with few side effects. The side effects I do have are: darkened urine, diarrhea occasionally, nausea and dry heaves occassionally, dizziness occasionally and peripheral neuropathy on occasion. Now I know you would think that these side effects would deter someone from taking this drug but for me those side effects are better than having bladder and kidney infections for 6 months at a time. For me the macrobid is the lesser of the two evils. Living with the infections is worse than these few issues."

DebbyGre (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 14, 2017

For Bladder Infection: "I've never reacted to any antibiotic, so I had no idea what I was in for with this. I made the mistake this morning (day 3) of taking pill 5. I had no appetite yesterday and was very lethargic and agitated. Really out of sorts, but 1/2 functioning. Today has been a nightmare of nausea, chills, body aches and joint pain, exhaustion, headache, ear and jaw pain, etc. That's not the full list. Doc pulled me off and moved me to Augmentin, but I have a LOT going on the next 4 days, and I came here hoping to figure out how long it will be before the side effects are gone. I can't get anything down, nothing helps the pain; I'm essentially useless. Also: hasn't anyone heard of Pyridium?? You don't need to suffer! OTC and numbs urinary tract!"

SF_Seattle (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I've had a few UTIs recently and the antibiotics has worked every time but this time I was prescribed Macrobid and after one pill I felt pretty horrendous. The symptoms of my UTI went away but it was replaced with really scary symptoms. I took the second pill not thinking it was side effects considering I've never had a bad experience with an antibiotic but woke up during the night feeling like my breathing was so heavy I wasn't sure if I'd need to go to hospital. The headache was unreal, I ached all over and walked about feeling like I was going to fall down any minute and like I was drunk or something. Called the doctor who told me to get an antihistamine and not take another. I felt poisoned! Still not fully recovered."

Miario (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I suffer from recurring UTI's. It's not uncommon with post menopausal women who are still sexually active. This drug has been amazing. Taking one directly after intimacy can prevent the UTI from occurring, but when it does, I feel relief after the first dose and in a few days its gone. Since I'm allergic to the standard treatment of sulfa based drugs, I'm grateful to have this. Keep in mind that everyone reacts differently to any medication. While one person tolerates it well, another can't. So don't dismiss it without trying. I have never had the slightest side effect with nitrofurantoin."

bellashanti January 8, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "It says ON THE BOTTLE to take this medicine with food. This is probably why you are experiencing nausea and fatigue. It's a great medicine and a great alternative and preventative if you're like me and suffer from chronic UTI's."

ALN9007 January 7, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "It has been my personal experience in dealing with urinary tract infection's that Macrobid is a godsend. After having my youngest child I came down with a UTI which stemmed from the birthing unit nurse improperly inserting a catheter prior to my cesarean section delivery. Within about a week I began noticing some tenderness in my lower pelvic area but thought perhaps it was because I had a tubal ligation and c- section and returned to work upon my discharge from the hospital (yeah not the most health wise move but childbirth doesn't stop the bills from flowing in). I was put on antibiotics that didn't work ended up admitted with severly infected kidneys and macrobid was the only thing that cured me and to this day is the only antibiotic that works for my UTI's"

AP42 (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I had a UTI and my Dr. prescribed Macrobid. I'm allergic to most antibiotics and usually experience all the side effects possible so I read the reviews here and was so scared to take it that I waited a week to see if my symptoms would somehow go away on their own (they didn't). I finally said a prayer and started the Macrobid. The only side effect I had at all was a pretty good headache on days 1 and 2, which was relieved with Advil. I wish I had started sooner! Just remember that usually, the only people coming to these sites are people who have had bad reactions. My pharmacist said that she's been prescribing it for 35 years and never heard of anyone having really bad reactions to it."

Robbie22 January 3, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection: "On Christmas Eve I felt as though a UTI was starting and took Trimethoprim which I had ordered from an online Dr. It seemed to dampen the symptoms but didn't get rid of them completely. I was prescribed nitrofurantoin on New Year's Day. I was in a lot of pain. Started taking the pills at 11am and had three doses during the day plus nurofen. No improvement during that day but I slept well and woke up the following day (today) with very little pain. Symptoms not completely gone but vastly improved. No noticeable side effects. Am taking the antibiotics with food as advised. I give it a 9 rather than 10 because it has worked a little more slowly than treatments I have had in the past (but I am not complaining!)"

5669 (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I've taken exactly 4 pills and I will not take one more ... no fever or chills but I have a rash all over my body. I have never been allergic to anything in my life and now this rash is horrible back legs arms stomach. It's itchy and just plain annoying! Also my urine had cleared up before taking these pills now it's back to a very dark color. I am not taking another pill , as for my UTI I will try some parsley tea and see where that gets me"

ItchyAndScratchy January 2, 2017

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "I used to have many UTI's a year, but no more with this drug. I have taken it every day for 4 years and have never had a side-effect. Sorry for those who do."

Zig Zag January 1, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I took 1 100mg Macrobid at 12pm today for a UTI. Felt bad around 6, so I went to lay down. Around 9, I woke up with extreme chills to the point my teeth were chattering (I'm a very hot-natured person), horrible muscle cramps, nausea, fever, and even hallucinations. I seriously thought I was dying. Thank God my mom called the pharmacist and he said not to take another. It's 12am now, and I still have a fever, and a horrible headache and body aches. AFTER ONE PILL. Don't take this medicine, y'all. It should be banned. I feel like I was poisoned."

AshLiz1004 (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I have a history of UTIs and kidney infections because my urethra is abnormal. However, with every UTI, i have been prescribed several different antibiotics. None that are accompanied by side effects but every person is different. With every UTI I have had, I have always experienced head ache, nausea, body aches and fever. All went away with the UTI. When I asked my doctor, he said the antibiotics take between 48 and 72 hours to start taking effect on your body. You may be experiencing some effects of your infection."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I am only taking the time to write this review because I see so many negative ones. I'd hate to see someone not take it and risk an infection getting worse! This drug does work, cleared up my UTI in 2 days. There are some not pleasant side effects-- Nausea, I've been feeling this one all week, body ache and chills, only on the first day. In my unique case I'd take any pain in the world over having a strong urge to use the restroom every 30 seconds and intense burning. I've taken this drug once before and felt fine. Talk to the dr. if you're concerned, there are other medications out there!"

ajetta (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed MacroBID after previous three antibiotic courses failed (1st Cipro made me violently ill, 2nd and 3rd were amazing drug Selexid with zero side effects and almost immediately relieved symptoms, however both times UTI returned after a week). Delayed starting the pills due to travelling and not wanting any of the awful side effects I'd read about this drug but my doc warned me of the infection spreading to kidneys so I risked it. I made sure I took a snack and some milk 10min before and swallowed with plenty of water and honestly no side effects, 5 days in only noticed runny nose but nothing else. UTI cleared up within a day too so I would highly recommend trying this, and not worry too much about the negative feedback"

booty.uk December 26, 2016

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "Effectively killed bacteria, but I had an extreme adverse reaction to the antibiotic--fever of 103.5, headache, body pains, sore red rash on calves. Adverse reaction developed after about 5 days of taking medication (the first time). Adverse reaction developed several hours after taking 1st dose of medication the second time it was prescribed for me."

NoNameOrNickname (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed macrobid (100mg two times a day for 10 days) for a pretty severe UTI. The first day I took it I felt like I had a fever and I had chills and body aches, I figured it was just my UTI causing the symptoms. Today I am on day 10 (last day) and I am going to the doctors for a different medication because after taking one of the pills last night I developed what I thought was the flu, severe body aches, fever, chills. I really considered going to the ER cause I was that sick. Woke up this morning feeling better then last night but I refuse to take another pill. As far as cleaning up my UTI some days I have felt normal and other days I still have the burning and frequency."

Jme2245 December 20, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Macrobid cleared up my UTI in only 4 days. I was afraid to use it based on the comments on this site but keep in mind, most people who take time out to comment are those with negative experiences. Usually people with great experiences like myself don't take time out to talk about how well a medication works-they use it and go on with their daily lives. It's been over a year now and no reoccurrence of UTI. I had zero side effects."

Caycee577 December 19, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "The side effects. Today I went to the Dr with symptoms of cloudy urine and frequent urination. I was diagnosed with a bladder infection and I was prescribed Macrobid, 2x po daily for 5 days. I've taken this medication before for a UTI and I was fine, but for some reason, I took this pill 2 hours ago and already I feel the sensation to gag every time a breathe in. This kind of nausea feels detestable. I'm so uncomfortable. I also got severe back pain and tight chest out of nowhere. I can't believe this."

i pray it works despite December 19, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "After being in SEVERE pain on passing (and after passing) urine saw my GP who prescribed nitrofurantoin as I'm resistant to the preferred prescribed Trimethropin. After 2 doses of 50mg same evening I woke in the night feeling like a total zombie; felt like I could barely move or breath, like I was almost comatose. Carried on the next day tho as felt I would put this down to the infection in my body (urine dip showed something) I took every 4 hours and feel snappy and lethargic but my main worry is the feeling of a fluttering racing heartbeat and pressure rising into my head. I have felt a little short of breath too, as if can't quite breath in. Bladder still feeling sensitive and urgent even tho finished course earlier today."

&& (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I normally get UTI All the time, I also suffer from Interstitial cystitis (IC) of the bladder, so it's hard to tell when I have a UTI or just a flare from my IC. I saw my Dr. Last week, and I had some burning, So I figured might as well get my urine checked, came back I have a UTI, my Dr. Called in antibitic, I assumed it would be Levaquin that's the one I have always gotten, really the only one that I get no side effects, will only take that or cipro, so when hubby came back with macrobid, I emailed my Dr. Thinking he forgot, he said the kind of UTI I have Levaquin will not work on it, I am on 4th day 2xday no side effects but still burning & pressure!so not sure if it is working."

Kittyx2 December 18, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "The reviews on this site scared me so much so that I almost didn't take this prescription. I've only taken two doses so far, and both times, I took it with food, but I have nothing strange to report. No drowsiness, no racing heart, no headaches (and I might add that headaches/migraines are very common for me). I'm already staring to feel some relief from my UTI symptoms. I know everyone is different, but I've not experienced anything out of the ordinary this far."

Sech (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "My husband passed a kidney stone, & was diagnosed with UTI, without being given a urine test to identify bacteria. After taking nitrofurantoin for 4 days, we went to urgent care as the chills and fever along with headache, confusion, loss of appetite, & weakness didn't go away. He was told to stop taking it as it was a drug to target 2 types of bacterias and given Cipro. The chills, fever, sweating and headache haven't gone away even after stopping this medicine. We may end up in the ER if symptoms don't sub side. I don't recommend this drug."

Jp7117 December 11, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I know a lot of people seem to have quite bad side effects however this was not the case with me. I had been suffering so bad from a severe UTI, went to the docs and got a prescription. I took my first dose at 11am, around 3pm that same day my severe symptoms were now non existent. I continued taking the medication for 5 days in total which is what my doctor advised, and didn't have one side effect. Maybe I'm lucky but honestly this medication worked perfectly for me."

Aj_345x December 9, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I get UTI's 2-3 times/year and I made an appointment with my doctor to get meds, but she was unavailable, so I had to see another one. (New doctor=different medication than the last time) I'm starting day 3 of this antibiotic and although I'm not in pain, I still feel uncomfortable down there. A previous medication I've taken, I felt fine by the next day. I know it can take a few days for the medication to take full effect, but compared to previous meds, this one doesn't work as fast. Side effects: It might not be from the medication, but I feel just really drained and tired. TAKE WITH FOOD! I've noticed several reviews where people said they experienced nausea. I take the medication after I eat and I haven't had any issues at all."

Bailey5710 (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2016