User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 38 reviews 29 medications

7.2
Urinary Tract Infection 372 reviews 186 medications

4.9
Bladder Infection 188 reviews 82 medications

4.8
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 598 reviews 5.6

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I started Macrobid yesterday and I felt okay but today I've had the most horrible painful stomach cramps and the weirdest constipated diarrhea I have ever had. I am constantly feeling like I need to throw up and the bowel movements and pain are what prompted me to do some Internet digging. I have taken four of 100mg pills in two days and I refuse to take another. At work today I nearly tripped several times and I was disoriented, felt sick, and had difficulty walking straight. There are other meds out there and while I know that everyone reacts differently to medication, I seriously would not wish this stomach/abdominal pain on anyone; it is incessant and keeping me from sleeping. I pray for alleviation tomorrow but fear it may take a few days."

Napoleangirl80 (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Please don't be scared to take this medication. I read the reviews and was horrified, but honestly the drug was very tolerable. I went through 2 other medications for UTI before I was prescribed this one. First it was Bactrim, which a few hours after taking 3rd dose I got hives. Second was Ciprofloxacin Hcl 500mg and I ended up with tendinitis in both legs. Thirdly is Macrobid 100mg 2x a day for 7 days. My advice is to take it with a full meal. Only side effects I get is slight drowsiness, and nausea close to the 12 hours mark of my next dose. Eat large meals before taking Macrobid and then snack throughout the day and drink lots of fluids. You'll be ok."

Lily2006 (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I've taken macrobid for 15 years for recurrent UTIs. I get UTIs about 4-6 times a year (ugh) so I've taken it a ton of times. Macrobid gets rid of my infections every single time without fail. The only side effect I have ever noticed, which is pretty annoying, is nausea for about 2 hours after taking each pill. Once in a blue moon I puke, but not usually. Eating and drinking with the pill lessens the nausea but doesn't totally prevent it. So, it does its job really well and eliminates my infections, but I do cringe when I have to take it because it sucks to endure the nausea."

ShesGotSauce February 24, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "My first day of being prescribed with the medicine I thought everything will be ok. I took my first pill at 6 p.m at night when I finally got home from work, everything seemed fine. However, at 4:30 a.m I started getting serious abdominal pain and couldn't go to sleep. I started throwing up and had diarrhea, my body was so weak that I started crawling on the floor. This have to be the worst pain ever and I refuse to take it again!"

Shay.. (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "After 10 days on Cipro my UTI did not clear up. Pressure, frequent urination and passing gas through my vagina (yes..Frontal farting...Anyone else have this?). I'm on my 5 th day of Macrobid and have not had any unpleasant side effects...Just some loose BM and gas."

Nelly R February 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I went to the ER and they determined I didn't exactly have a UTI but it was a possibility so they started me on Macrobid. I had never taken it before. Within two days I was hysterical. I had such intense migraines that I fell multiple times and couldn't see straight. My stomach was a mess, I couldn't go to the bathroom, I wanted to sleep but I couldn't fall asleep because my head was pounding too hard. I called my PCP who checked the ER records and told me I had never had a UTI to begin with and to stop the Macrobid ASAP. Once I stopped it the migraines went away, I stopped falling, my gastrointestinal system has now days later, returned to normal."

KTSM February 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bladder Infection: "Only hours after taking this medication for a UTI I had severe pain in my chest! I thought it was gas and it wasn't until day four of having extreme shortness of breath and lethargy I decided to research what the side effects of this medication are. It looks like many other people have experienced breathing issues as well from taking this. I am stopping it asap and never taking it again!"

Zoe1982 February 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Horrible horrible horrible. I was prescribed this as I interact with most antibiotics. It got rid of my UTI but I was sick, had a 38 degree temperature, major shakes. I still feel lethargic and sick so for me the cons outweigh the pros. I did finish complete the course as it was only for three days- had it been a seven day course I would have stopped taking them."

purple vicky (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I woke up a week or more ago and found myself having to pee frequently. I thought "Oh that's weird." Then it began to smell funky and I decided to go get a urinalysis done. It came back negative, but the doctor gave me some Bactrim anyway. Halfway through my treatment with Bactrim, I had an allergic reaction and called it in. They gave me Macrobid instead, and gosh is it expensive. I took it for a few days for a total of 5 days on antibiotics and my symptoms were gone, but something new was happening. I always felt fatigued and nauseated, especially when I woke up, and when I tried to eat, I felt like my appetite had left me completely. My stools had turned to diarrhea and my stomach always felt uneasy. The doc took me off them."

Ixie February 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Both extremes of Macrobid are accurate. I've had a lot of UTIs- to the point of having Macrobid prescribed with refills as needed. I never experienced any symptoms and this stuff was like a miracle. Took 24 hrs to kick in and felt great. I didn't get a UTI for 2 years and then just got one. I took Macrobid and it has made me feel horrible! I feel weak, have no energy, am always dizzy, have headaches, diarrhea, bad pain around my lymph nodes and always feel like I need to throw up. Fortunately I'm a sahm (stay at home mom) so I'm able to deal with it at home, but I had to have someone take my child to school because I couldn't get out of bed! Also it feels like it hasn't completely started working. So it can be great and horrible, even with the same person!"

Danielle_3456 February 10, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "My experience was HORRIBLE. I was prescribed this medication for a UTI. 30 minutes after taking the first dose, my mood changed for the worst. I became extremely irritable and suddenly super hungry. My appetite eventually went away completely, but my irritability did not. I went into a psychotic rage at one point when my mom was yelling for no reason(like always, typical mom) and was provoking me, and hadn't seen my texts of me telling her I was having a bad reaction so she didn't know. Then before bed, I felt like I was deathly ill, my body was aching, major headache, chills, racing heart. I have anxiety so this medication caused my heart to race even more. I then began crying uncontrollably and felt overwhelmingly sad. Never taking again!"

Luna828 (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed Macrobid for a UTI. Within 12 hours of my first dose, I had extreme body and muscle pain from my ankles to my shoulders. I am 100% aware that many people can take Macrobid and be fine, I'm just relieved to read that some other people went through what I did for the simple fact that I thought I was dying! The morning after I started taking the meds, even my lungs felt bruised. I was too weak to hardly even walk. I returned to the doctor and totally thought they would hospitalize me. He wrote me a new script and sent me home. My mother and husband took turns taking care of me until I stopped vomiting and writhing in pain, which in total took days. I couldn't eat and even couldn't take care of my small children for two days."

Freaked out! (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bladder Infection: "First off, I have a history of having UTI. This past one has been a real doozy and the medication was changed four times! The last antibiotic prescribed is macrobid 100 mg 2xday. The first day I was nauseated and delirious with bad nightmares. It was a sick flu like feeling along with bad chills. I kept taking them as I thought what else.?! This sick feeling calmed by third day and two more (4 pills) left. I feel better but my bladder has been through too much with so many infections with wrong medications. I really wish my Dr would focus more on prevention. Macrobid definitely gave me bad side effects compared to any other antibiotics...but it seemed to clear the infection hopefully it doesn't return!"

EloiseJames February 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bladder Infection: "Started nifurantoin on Friday. After fifth dose started headache, chills, flu like symptoms. Then severe low back pain and I thought, this moved to my kidneys. Took two more doses and went to my Dr. on Monday with insane low back pain, and joint pain down my body. I thought maybe I had the flu. When I told the nurse my symptoms she said "it's the medication, your urine shows no infection now. " Dr. confirmed and changed the medicine after telling me her patients that react this way look and feel like they have the flu. Today is day five and I still have bad low back pain. I wonder how long it will last because it's horrible. Dr's should warn their patients."

Adreyd February 7, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed Nitrofurantoin for a bladder infection. My first day of taking this medicine my feet and hands became so very cold and I could not control the chills my hands became very pale it felt like frost bike like there were pins and needles in my fingers, I also became very lethargic and nauseated. I also had very intense pain in my lower back. I stopped taking them. I waited a few days and I took it at night before going to bed. I wake up in the middle of the night with the same chills, numbness and tingling to my fingers and toes, nauseated and tired. This time I contacted my doctor and she advised me to stop taking the medication. I won't take this medication ever again."

Bayl February 6, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I began to take Macrobid (Nitrofurantoin mono) 100mg caplets on last Thursday for a UTI. Within 24 hours I had severe muscle aching, headache, and fatigue. Within 2 days I had even more severe body aches, joint pain, extreme fatigue and sleepiness, dizziness and difficulty walking as well as a fever of 101-102 degrees. I went in to a walk in clinic but symptoms progressed and by Sunday I was in the ER thinking I was in septic shock. I assumed my infection had spread, I had no idea it could be a reaction to the antibiotic. After a barrage of tests including a CT scan, the only possibility is that this poison was wrecking my health. This medication caused me a huge amount of problems. I stopped taking it yesterday and still have a headache, dizziness, muscle aches and low fever. I can only hope the damage caused by Macrobid is not permanent."

Mom in NM (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bladder Infection: "I took 100mg at 12 noon with food, by 4pm I was in bed chills like I had never had before the ache resembled someone sitting on my chest and pulling a belt tight. I felt sick and the pain was awful. I took the second one at 10pm and four hours later the effects were so bad, I was throwing up and gagging when I breathed in. The Dr actually came out to me changed the anti biotics. Took around three days for symptoms to go away. I now feel I have no energy. The infection has cleared up so that is a relief but I won't be taking this medication ever again."

Crazycow (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Just taken 5 of 6 tabs - really don't think can face another day feeling like death. Husband woke me in the night to check temperature - 39.9 said I was panting! He does not normally panic. Can't eat. If I sweat it stinks presumably of chemicals. Splitting headache. Extreme lethargy. Basically went to bed and slept as much as I could. Terrible stomach cramps belching and wind. Best of all I don't even know if this drug is the correct one for me as lab results not back until Monday. Never again for me."

lizro (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Had ORANGE urine from 1/11 to 1/13. Went to Dr. Got urinealysis. They said it was fine and call them if it comes back. It did, every 3 days or so for 2 weeks. Went back to the dr. Got blood work and another urinalysis. My blood is fine. She said I have bacteria in the urine tho, called it a UTI, and put me on this medicine. Only took 3 doses so far and have no side effects but I urinated orange again twice today. So I'm wondering if it should be working by now. And also, like the other stories I'm hearing from you ladies, I have NO other symptoms. Zero. Has anyone had a UTI with no other symptoms? Maybe it's not a UTI. And also, has anyone ever had this orange urine but me? When it's not orange, it's fluorescent yellow. "

Waffles Mom (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bladder Infection: "74 years old and developed UTI after flu. On the medicine for just 2 days and will stop.Developed scary pounding heart beat. Need to stay around a while longer to see younger daughter wed."

kanefina January 26, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I love this drug! I have chronic UTIs I get them at least once a month the first time taking this medication I felt better within a day I did feel a little sick to my stomach but I would much rather feel a little nauseous than having the burning sensation and constantly needing to Pee every 10 seconds. I currently have a UTI now and I took with food and have not felt sick to my stomach whatsoever this medicine is a lifesaver!"

Bribby (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was instantly sick to my stomach after first dose. Now I wonder if it was just exhaustion from being up all night with the PAIN. I am on day 3 and feel so much better that I may be back at work in the morning. I haven't had a UTI since I was very young and sort of forgot how dreadful it can get. My Dr said usually 48 hrs and one is over the worst and I think the side effects for me are extremely minimal!/"

Auntj January 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "After reading all of the horrible reviews on this site I was terrified to take Macrobid. I waited two days hoping that the symptoms would clear and I wouldn't have to take this "awful poison." Everything I read talked about flu'like symptoms and high fevers..Scary stuff. I finally gave in and took my first dose around 9:00am. By around 1:00pm I had a bit of a headache which was mostly controlled with Advil. Same side effect with the second and third dose. By day three I was side effect free and nearly symptom free too. I would take this again in heartbeat. Don't let the reviews scare you. Everyone reacts differently and you can't base what your experience will be off of the bad experience others had."

PunkyBee January 24, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Although I think I might have kidney stones instead of a UTI, (due to vast amounts of blood in my urine and no pain when I urinate) my only side effect is nausea. I can't say if it actually helped with symptoms because I still have side and belly pain after 7 days of being on it. Just because one person might have one side effect or allergic reaction doesn't mean the next person will. Everyone's body is different and what doesn't work for one person might work for the other."

No prob (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I will NEVER touch this medicine again. A couple hours after my first dose, I started to feel nauseated. Things quickly devolved from there. Severe chills, body aches, fever, splitting headache. Like when you first get the flu, X10000. My skin hurt and I couldn't relieve my pain/discomfort in any way. The next 24 hours, waiting for the drug to leave my system, were a complete nightmare."

Damwill (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2017