User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Urinary Tract Infection 4.2
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 4.4 1,464 reviews

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Steph · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2020

Nitro Macro (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: “This is my second time taking this. I used it in February after having been on Doxycycline for 10 days. After a check, I still had infection. A culture suggested Macrodantin. I don’t have any side affects. I don’t have to eat. I feel better after 3 pills. I get real dizzy when I have a UTI. Had to be hospitalized before. Given 3 days of IV antibiotics. The germs now are real. But, it’s all the practice of medicine.”

JO · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2020

For Bladder Infection: “I was prescribed this medicine for bladder infection. IT DOESN'T WORK.”

Padlock · Taken for less than 1 month June 1, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Macrobid was prescribed by the Practice Nurse for UTI more specifically for a kidney infection. 100mg twice daily. I took one tablet and within 1 hour I was fighting to breath suffering severe rigours and a temp of 40degs. I was turning blue around the mouth, neck and chest. I was unable to speak but fortunately had read the contra indications and was able to point to them to my wife. An ambulance was called and arrive some 30 mins later. During this time I vomited twice and the breathing difficulties continued as did the rigours. Paramedics decided that I needed to be hospitalised. I was admitted to the Covid 19 ward as I was displaying at least 2 symptoms. Hospital team were brilliant , released at 4 am, not Covid! Appropriately medicine prescribed. Scary!”

V · Taken for less than 1 month June 1, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I was given this drug to treat my UTI. It felt like it started to work on the 3 day. Now on day 4 I start feeling urgency again. I am on a 7 day course. Do I have to wait for the medicine to finish before it starts working. I am so frustrated.”

Mel · Taken for less than 1 month June 1, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Just finished a course of nitrofurantoin at a dose of 2 times a day for 5 day dose. The first 3 days it worked and the UTI seemed to be clearing up but day 4 I started feeling funny again and now day 5 all my symptoms are coming back just as bad as they did when I went to the doctor. I found the first 3 days I had a bit of a headache taking this and my heart seemed to race a bit but my side effects went away the same time my symptoms started coming back. I'm going to doctor tomorrow to get something else cause this stuff doesn't work.”

Why Me May 29, 2020

For Prevention of Bladder infection: “After chronic UTI’s and “interstitial cystitis” for months that were ruining my sex life and my life in general, my urologist prescribed 50 mg of this med to take every time I had sex. Before this, I was doing everything (gallon of water a day, peeing and washing before and after sex, d-mannose pills, etc). This is the second time I’ve done this as I had a similar situation (chronic uti’s) 5 years ago, but then went several years with no issue. I’ve been on nitro for a year now, taken every time I have sex (multiple times a week) and haven’t gotten a single UTI. this medication saved me from UTI’s. Downside is - I think it causes acne, and is now giving me issues with yeast infections even though I’m eating yogurt and taking a probiotic every day. It does give me mild stomach symptoms as well. All worth it until the yeast issue - and now I’m considering getting off but am terrified of the potential UTI’s”

Esti · Taken for less than 1 month May 27, 2020

For Bladder Infection: “Prescribed for a very mild UTI , wish I never had, severe headache, stiff neck and shoulder muscles like cement , nausea, feels like brain is swooshing with movement, exhausted, emotional. Possibly the worst side effects I have ever had of any medication. Have never had any trouble with an antibiotic. I'm only 2 days in and 5 to go, I'm so tired, my hand is getting tired and strained for effort just to type this. Sounds all exaggerated, but I feel utterly terrible.”

Flash · Taken for less than 1 month May 27, 2020

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: “I took this for a UTI. I found relief the next day. The only side effects I experienced were: dark brown urine, nausea, and upset stomach. It was very annoying to have to deal with especially after being at the hospital and enduring horrible pain from the UTI itself. I try to avoid taking this but I am glad I have it if I ever desperately need it.”

Bastet · Taken for 10 years or more May 24, 2020

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: “I have been on Macrobid every other day since 1997 and I have not had a bladder infection for 23 years. It was a life saver for me as I would get bladder infections monthly. No ill side effects.”

Ayde · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I’m a 47 yr old man who was prescribed this medicine 5 days ago .I think it may have cleared it up although I still have like a twinge or ache but not as bad as before ( plus a bad neck and back ) but this medicine has made me feel awful no appetite , nausea, I feel aches and pains , and I’m emotional all the time”

User May 23, 2020

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: “Took Macrobid (Nitrofuratoin) twice for a UTI. The first time, I experienced a slight fever, chest pains, and difficulty breathing. I switched medication after speaking with my doctor, but I did not know that it also went by the name Macrobid as the generic brand. I had taken macrobid before and was fine, so assumed that this was a one-off instance of bad side effects. Now taking for a second time, and am experiencing very bad side effects of nausea, splitting headaches, slight fever, fatigue.... no other UTI medicine I’ve taken before has caused similar reactions. Would not recommend taking something so risky when there are plenty of other just as effective alternatives.”

A.T. · Taken for less than 1 month May 22, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Prescribed nitrofurantoin as a seven day course for UTI. Was careful to take with food, and expected maybe some nausea. OMG what a horror story. I can't believe this drug is legal. Started with mild nausea and indigestion. Got worse with each dose and each day. Vomiting, diarrhoea, head spinning, pounding headache. Felt so ill I thought I had COVID-19. Yes it's dealt with the UTI but I currently (end day 4) feel like I'm dying. Am speaking to pharmacist tomorrow begging to be allowed to stop this awful medication.”

Anonymous May 15, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “On day 3 of nitrofurantoin and don't feel well at all. Was awake all night, heart is beating faster than normal, night and day sweats, tingling in arm and leg, anxiety, shaking in hands, dizziness, and no appetite. Very nervous as I have never felt this way. First and only time I will be taking this drug. Calling the DR today to see what can be done. I would not use this again.”

RONNIE · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I was prescribed this back in April. The first day I started getting nausea, rapid heart rate, fast breathing, nausea and dizziness. No relief from the UTI. Second day I came out in a rash and the breathing and heart rate was so bad I thought I was passing out. Couldn't eat so phoned docs. Nurse told me to take it for another day. A month later and nearly a stone lighter I still have the same side effects. I will never take it again and just hope it will wear off.”

Gallifreyel · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2020

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: “I was prescribed 5 days worth of 100Mg Macrobid for a UTI. It was working, but very slowly. It did not clear up my UTI, and it got worse again. I talked to a friend who had been prescribed it multiple times, and it never works for her and caused a kidney infection due to its impotency. I read online that it doesn't work for older women, but we are in our early 20's, so it's not just older women. I do not recommend Macrobid especially after reading all of these other reviews. If you get prescribed it, do yourself a favor, and ask for something else.”

CD · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2020

For Prevention of Bladder infection: “For the last 30 years I have had recurring UTIs always after intercourse. I have been on various antibiotics for UTIs over the years with no long term success. I was recently prescribed nitrofurantoin for long term prevention. It has work so well I am beyond relieved. Absolutely no side effects only benefits!”

Jacqs · Taken for less than 1 month April 2, 2020

For Prevention of Bladder infection: “Started taking this nitrofurantoin for a water (bladder) infection. Felt sick, got side effects from it - diarrhoea and thrush. Cefalexin used to do the trick with no side effects for me but the GP said this is one of the antibiotics that can make your infection resistant to antibiotics sadly. So to treat an infection for one thing, lasted twice as long as I had to treat thrush as well! But at least no burning, painful water infection!”

Runnergirl · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2020

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: “Came on to share my experience after seeing all of the bad reviews. I have not experienced any side effects from Macrobid; and haven’t always eaten with a large meal. Very well tolerated and provided relief from painful UTI after only a few doses. I tend to react to antibiotics but no issues with this one.”

Dizzy but UTI better · Taken for less than 1 month March 2, 2020

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: “The first three days I took 100 mg generic Macrobid twice a day with large meals because it was causing mild queasiness. UTI symptoms subsided. On the 4th day I took with a small breakfast and experienced dizziness and heart pressure. I called the doctor who said that I was on it long enough and to stop. A decade or more ago I took Cipro with no side effects for UTI but now they say Macrobid is better due to antibiotic resistance and targeting UTIs specifically. The dizziness and heart pressure side effects were enough to make me stop and re-consider ever being on this medicine in the future.”

Sheila February 29, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “ I am usually a light weight with most medications, so when I was given Nitrofurantoin I was nervous. I ate something small before taking it, to my surprise after the first pill I was feeling relief from the pressure and burning from the UTI. It has made my a little drowsy but that it is. I’m on day 5, I would take this again. Everyone different. I have high blood pressure and anxiety, both were not effected.”

AP · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I have had no side effects and am feeling so much better after the first full day taking it.”

Infected mess · Taken for less than 1 month February 22, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “My urologist put me on this medicine Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for two months. The first week sick to my stomach, hands and feet numb, no energy, feeling like passing out, terrible stomach pain. I couldn't even get through the first week. Now today I was not able to pee either. This stuff made me even worse.”

H · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I was showing symptoms of a UTI and went to an urgent care where I was prescribed a 5 day supply of Nitrofurantoin. Within 24 hours, in which I had taken two doses, I was experiencing a feeling of being “off.” By day 3, I began experiencing further side effects. I was experiencing fatigue, dizziness, nausea, headaches, and loss of appetite. On day 4, the dizziness and nausea had increased and there was a complete loss of appetite. I was unable to make any sudden movements without becoming extremely dizzy, nauseous, and disoriented. The only time I felt okay was when I was laying down and remaining still. I decided to stop taking the medication, which was only missing the remaining 2 doses. This medication did clear up the UTI, but I do not recommend due to its side effects.”

Mia February 20, 2020

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: “I have taken Macrobid many many times. I have never had any side effects and it clears up immediately. Mind you, I take myself to the clinic the moment I know I have a UTI which is typically cramping and pressure in my lower abdomen followed by issues urinating. I only ever get these symptoms after intercourse when I do not relieve myself almost immediately. I've never gone over 24hours with symptoms and not had Macrobid prescribed. It's a life safer.”

Km February 17, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I knew I had to take nitrofurantoin with food but with the chills and fever I was having it’s hard to eat any meals. I was ok on the first pill, but I woke up at midnight with horrible gut pain and back pain. The next day I felt nauseated, gut and stomach pain. It was hard to take deep breaths. I figured I just needed to let the antibiotics to work. Next day it was the same. Cramping in my stomach and my guts just bubbled the whole time. I couldn’t stand, walk, eat or sleep. I have to take Tylenol and alternate with naproxen. 3rd day it was the same, felt like my stomach was twisting itself. So the 4th day I said no more. The next my stomach still cramps every time I try to eat or drink anything. Energy is low. Before each dose I tried to eat a little something and take probiotic a few hours after, but I felt like my inside were kicking my butt. I’m calling my doctor on the next working day to see what I need to do. It’s just hard to eat when you don’t have an appetite”