User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Urinary Tract Infection
4.6

Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 4.8 920 reviews

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I’ve reviewed a drug before but this one deserves it. I took macrobid for a UTI 100mg x2 for 10 days. While it helped my UTI I have been left with anxiety and digestive problems 2 weeks after finishing this treatment. This drug has ruined my month and I’m hoping my stomach will bounce bad"

H (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Been taking macrobid 3 days. Symptoms come and go. I have extreme anxiety and a fast heart rate for a couple of hours after taking a dose. Hardly able to sleep. Tired all day from lack of sleep. Stomach bloat. Dizzy a lot. I will take my dose this morning . I am going to the heart doc today for test results of a cardio work up I had done last week ...I will be asking him if it is ok to start cipro. I guess some people do ok on this med...but it has to many hard side effects for me."

vickie (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Had lots of UTI's antibiotics and they just don't agree with me at all. But as we know we have to have them to cure infections. I've been on this med frequently 7 lots since March due to a bladder prolapse that's not operable, so at the moment I have the worst symptoms I have ever had - I feel so sick, headaches, dizzy can't hear, blurred eyes, no appetite, stomach pain and terrible back pain plus thru the roof anxiety which is very debilitating. Other antibiotics don't work. Is it the pills or the infection that causing these symptoms ? It's got to be the pills, I just have to take them what else can I do ??"

Suz (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "The MD prescribed Macrobid, 100 mgs., 2x/day, for a urinary tract infection. After taking the pill for 2-3 days I broke out into a terrible rash. The worst part of the side effects was that my vein in my neck protruded and I look like I have a turkey neck. I am so depressed and angry that I can't sleep and am so frightened that my neck is not going to go back to normal. So far it has not changed at all. I have seen an allergist and 2 internists and no one is helping me. This medication should be discontinued."

Colie (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was put on nitrofurtoin for a UTI . From start of taking meds I had the worst experience started feeling dizzy and tired pains in my lower back and chest pains I thought medication was supposed to make you feel better not feel even worse. I took myself and called my Dr and asked to be switched to something else ASAP I don't recommend this medicine it needs to be off the shelf"

Nikki (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I really believed I was going to die. Within hours of first dose, I was being rushed to the ER. Horrible chest pain, so bad that I passed out. Only to wake to dizziness, nausea, and uncontrollable diarrhea. I literally vomited from dizziness every time I tried to open my eyes. I honestly believe this medication should be removed from the market. If I had managed to take another dose, I believe I would have had a major cardiac event."

Camille (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I get recurring UTI’s about every 3 months & I have taken every antibiotic that you can name. Macrobid did make me feel so bad with body aches, chills, headache, heart palpitations, diarrhea & very nausea. I am trying to hang in to the end of the meds but I don’t think I will take Macrobid again. But feel pretty sure it has not got rid of my UTI..."

Yogi (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "After going on a sugar binge my body finally told me enough is enough and about 3 days ago I ended up with my first UTI in about a year give or take a few months. I had severe back pain and it felt like my urethra was badly bruised whenever I would urinate. I went to the doctor and they gave me a prescription for "macrobid" twice a day for 5 days at 200mg a pill. I have taken 4 pills so far with minimal side effects and it doesn't hurt as much when I urinate now although it is still a bit uncomfortable. My back no longer hurts either. I have been taking my pills with either a meal or a glass of milk and both methods have prevented stomach upset from the medicine. I highly recommend this antibiotic."

Addicted To Sweets (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I've just woken up from taking my first macrobid. I took it yesterday at 3 in afternoon and now it's 4.20 in the morning . Felt just ill. Though I was feeling rough before from a suspected infection, now I'm not sure if it's the meds still making me feel rough or the infection ! I think I'll follow what I've read here and try one more and see how I feel.been asleep for over 13 hrs!!!"

Rose (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Really danger medicine my wife took this medicine for couple days and she started feel a horrible effect. She start feel heart palpitations, tingling in her face and left arm numbness, also she can not sleep. She went to another doctor and explained what effect she have after she took the medication and the doctor say stop don't take it any more one day. After that we received a call by the nurse asking for my wife and and I was at work and a telling her my wife is not here what happening and she tell me a can't tell you but tell to you wife stop taking the medication we prescribed to her. They also saide they were going to given her other medication and please let it know to you wife she need to call us. Wahoo something is wrong with that medication."

Mad August 8, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Terrible! I finished the 5 day course and my UTI is gone BUT I have chest pain, shortness of breath, and body aches all over. Not worth the side effects!!! This is the first time I’ve ever had a reaction to a medication. Back to amoxicillin I go! And the med check doctor I just saw told me that negative side affects are extremely rare. Thanks for all the reviews so I didn’t think I was crazy!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Oh, third time on Nitrofurantoin, in less than 2 months. It seems to clear up the cystitis, (painful pee,) but within weeks it is back again. The stomach discomfort, fatigue and shivers, I am having, this time, is causing me great distress. I have no choice but to not complete the course. I feel absolutely awful. Would not recommend this product .."

Notagain (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Side affect: Chest tightening, hard to breathe. Heart pumping. Arm tingling. After 24 hours of first 2 doses, I had chest pain/tightening. Then 3h after 3rd dose my arm was tingling. After the 4th dose at 9am, Chest tightened and shortness of breath, worse than the first time. Called for a phone appointment with a doctor. End result: DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICINE ANY FURTHER. My heart has been racing for 2h on and off now. I thought I was going to die earlier and I have never reacted to any form of medication."

Otters (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Stay away! How this drug is still manufactured I do not know. I took this and thought I was getting more sick or having liver failure! Skin sensitivity- nausea- extreme fatigue- heart palpitations. I immediately stopped taking it. Antibiotics should for the most part make you feel better not like your on Chemotherapy."

Mcrobdh8r (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2018

For Bladder Infection: "I'm so glad to read these comments. I was prescribed Nitrofurantoin for a UTI. I stopped after day 3. I have developed a fever for the past 2 days and have had nausea. I too broke out into a rash on my right calf."

Jealeen August 2, 2018

For Bladder Infection: "I cannot believe how awful I felt on this pill. I have never experienced anything like it. I had nausea, heart palpitations, pains in the stomach and lower back. A total sense that something was terribly wrong with me. I have stopped it (finally) and am hoping that I get back to feeling better. I will never ever take it again nor would I ever allow any family or friend to take it."

berriesand (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Read the reviews and was so scared to even take it!!!!!! But I took the medication and not a single side effect! Great medication .... I’m 5’5 and 135lbs .. very prone to headaches... nothing happened. Don’t let the bad reviews scare you !"

GirlL7 (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2018

For Bladder Infection: "I took nitrofurantoin for a bladder infection for 7 days before having a reaction. On Day 8 , I ran a low-grade fever, chilled, had no appetite, had to force myself to drink water, and had a dry cough. No energy at all. Day 9 was the same, so I stopped the drug. Day 10, I felt better but noticed a rash on the backs of my calves. Day 11 the rash developed into full-blown hives everywhere. Went to a clinic and got a steroid shot and prednisone and a new antibiotic because the bladder infection did not clear up and I am allergic to it."

Cece (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "UTI's are the worst. I've had em all my life. Seems like twice a year they come with a vengeance. Everyone reacts differently so take your docs advice before me or anyone else. Macrobid sure doesn't make me feel good but heck I would take those symptoms over peeing fire every five mins any day. I get shaky but it does help to take with food. Also a tablespoon of baking soda in water is always helpful. D-mannose does work to prevent but once it's there you can't swallow enough capsules to rid it (least me). I've taken all kinds of antibiotics and macrobid seems to work the fastest. It does knock you out for a lil while tho. I guess I'd rather feel a little off then crying in the bathroom wondering why women have to endure such nasty infections (men too). There's nothing worse than wishing for a new urthra. Take the macrobid. Your doc has said it'll help. If it really makes you ill, ask your doc for a new one."

Jljljljl (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I'm so glad I read through these comments. I started my Rx for macrobid yesterday. Day one was fine and I can say my UTI symptoms have improved, but this afternoon I started feeling miserable with fever shakes and chills. I was thinking that I must have caught a virus on top of having a UTI. I don't think that anymore. I'm going to take one more dose, which will mean I was on it for 24 hrs, and then I'm stopping it. I am willing to take a chance. If the UTI returns I will take another trip to the doctor to see if he can give me something else."

Annonomys July 27, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: " I am the exception of people reviewing macrobid . Lucky me! I took this for my UTI and has been the most effective one to deal with an extremely persistent one and also in my case, with the exception of drowsiness and intense need to sleep, was asymptomatic."

Utibye (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have been on this drug before for a UTI. First time was a 3 day course and apart from feeling tired I was fine. 3 months later the UTI has come back and again the doctors have placed me on the same drug. First night I was up all night being sick. Next day I was very faint, had diarrhoea and extremely nauseous. I couldn’t eat or drink enough to ‘prevent the upset stomach by eating’ I’m now on my second day and I am bed bound! No energy and still sick as a dog. Please speak with your doctor to see if there is another medication for you as this is really not worth it. "

Kp (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "If you have a job, kids or any sort of life don’t take macrobid. Wipes you out completely with sickness, extreme fatigue and flu like symptoms!! I lasted three days and just couldn’t take any more!"

LisJ (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed this medicine for possible UTI. Didn't work because I believe I have cystitis but this was precautionary. Almost didn't take it because of the reviews! The only bad side effect I had was stinky gas and maybe a little tired. I don't understand how this drug has so many bad reviews. (maybe people who have bad experiences are more likely to review something and the ones who have good experiences just move on with their lives) Drink it with a glass of water and food. I was fine."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Okay, I’m on here because I read a review on here that said something about those of us with bad experiences having phantom side effects, she also stated that no medication would give you those effects after only a few doses. That is WRONG. I was on 100mg twice a day for a UTI that I discovered on accident. I had no UTI symptoms. I literally felt like I was getting the flu on the second day. I didn’t think anything if it, I just thought well I guess I’m getting the flu. Then the headaches came. I had a headache for FIVE DAYS straight! No. This medicine is bad. I took my last one this morning and I’m hoping there are no irreversible effects. This medicine made me really super sick. I do not recommend this to anyone."

Nopegirl (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2018