User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Urinary Tract Infection
4.4

Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 4.6 1,093 reviews

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

For Urinary Tract Infection: "So I was giving this medication for UTI definitely made my neck muscles stiff, was feeling a little weird, had stomach cramps and I could barely sleep my symptoms did clear up on my last two dose however they seem to be coming back very mildly. I hope it not round two. Plus my anxiety was out the roof. Well after looking at the reviews with similar symptoms as me I'm sure it is all the side effects"

Stardom (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2019

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I’m generally terrified of medication, and this one has some horrible reviews. Be aware it can cause pulmonary reactions as well as neuropathy. I would never take this daily for prevention, but I took it when I was pregnant as well as this week. No side effects, but I would consider myself lucky. As with any medication weigh the benefits and risks. My bladder infection only got worse after a month of trying natural cures, so I really had no choice. If you have to take it know everyone doesn’t have side effects, and if you do immediately stop the medication and consult your doctor."

skyleeanne (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Took this for a UTI and I feel worse than before! UTI cleared from 2nd day but I feel dead. My body is aching and I have not left my bed in three days. The pain I’m feeling is something I have never experienced in my life, it’s excruciating! I don’t understand how this medicine is prescribed while there are safer alternatives!"

Abr (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2019

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "So far the infection seems to have gone away however, I have had severe heart palpitations since taking this medication, I've been off of it for over 24 hours and still getting them. I also had an itchy stomach and headache periodically while taking it. Wouldn't take it again."

Jen April 3, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Nitrofurantoin for mild UTI, two tablets a day for 5 days. The nightmare began on 2nd day with nausea, soft bowel motions, shortness of breath, hyperventilating, couldn't think clearly, legs aching, so lethargic, unable to drive, couldn't work about, heaviness in my chest, oh & depression came on me. Usually if depression comes it brings a reason, this came as itself, scary. Never Again will I trust. Cranberry n water for me."

Lucy (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was put on a 3 day course of nitrofurantoin for a UTI. After 1st day felt nauseous, dizzy and lethargic - just absolutely awful. By the time I had taken my 5th one I was feeling like the room spinning like a helicopter blade. I'm not taking my last one as I just could not go through another day like yesterday. Have had pneumonia and 2 pregnancies which were nothing compared to this feeling. Never ever again."

Caz56 (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2019

For Bladder Infection: "Took for a bladder infection that a culture later reported I never had. Odd. After two doses I woke up with fever, chills, nausea, pain along spine and neck, all over muscular pain, headache, excessive belching, chest and abdominal pain, and excessive peeing with bladder lining burning and urgency. Bladder infection, flu, and mono tests negative on two separate doctor visits. Abdominal CT scan and chest x-ray did not show any abnormalities. Blood work did show red blood cells in urine and elevated liver enzymes. I do not drink alcohol if you were wondering. Today is day 7 and I still have a 101 fever, with no diagnosis, but I do not plan to ever take this antibiotic again regardless."

Death on a Cracker March 31, 2019

For Bladder Infection: "• High dose, taken twice daily with food, for 3 days. Day 1 AM-not too bad, bit spacey PM-very spacey, bloated stomach/abdominal cramps& nauseated. Day 2 -AM- EXTREME nausea. Vertigo-ish, & “out of whack”. -PM- just felt like total garbage. Very tired, nauseated, and spaced out. Brain fog. Also my hair has started coming out. Not loads, but if I run my fingers through it- guarantee a good few strands will come out. Day 3 AM- very tired, bit sicky, upset stomach. Oh also, these meds cause your urine to go a different colours, whether it be a luminous type yellow or green, or borderline brown. That’s normal. Don’t worry. All in all, these had made me feel pretty terrible. If you can ride the infection out with home remedies, try to do so. My anxiety has been through the roof, (again, with anxiety sufferers don’t worry, you’re not dying, this is just very nasty stuff) and the side effects have been more than unpleasant."

T (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I had a mild UTI with both mild pain on urination and frequent urination. I was prescribed a 7 day course of the prolonged release capsules of MacroBID Nitrofurantoin. I did not have any sickness nor the fatigue others have described and it seemed to clear up the infection 2-3 days after starting the course as the pain on urination stopped. However, I found that after day 3 the frequency of urination increased again and I had more prolonged general discomfort only being relieved on urination (no pain on urination however). This turned out to be the Nitrofurantoin causing localised irritation and the discomfort faded and disappeared within days of the course finishing. Having said that I do have sensitive skin in that region and have to avoid scented soaps etc. I am mentioning this in case there are others reacting the same and don’t realise it may now be the treatment and not the UTI causing the symptoms. I am now 3 weeks on from completing the course with no relapse."

Anders (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "DO NOT TAKE nitrofurantoin especially if you have colitis or stomach issues! Avoid like the plague. Nearly killed me. Had UTI but also have colitis. Practicing nurse prescribed it. 100g x 2 daily for 7 days. 1st dose cleared the UTI. 2nd dose hell began. Thinking it was not related carried on. Started Monday. By Thursday was in A &E on 2 drips anti sickness and electrolytes. 4 days of violent shakes. Vomiting. Hot cold flashes. Can't drink water. Can't eat food. Tongue white as snow. Sleeping all day. Back pain. Brain fog. Nails felt like they were detaching from beds. Soiling myself. Hospital Dr surprised this was prescribed when I had colitis. Spent half day in hospital. Couldn't work for week. Blew my guts out. It's Sunday and I stopped Thursday. Still weak. Sleeping all day. Muscles 'flipping' in my thigh. Head still fuzzy. Still disorientated. DO NOT TAKE ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE IBD. Worst medication. I am 54 year old lady."

Shafattack March 24, 2019

For Bladder Infection: "I have severe health and medication anxiety and after reading the reviews on here (like I shouldn't have) I was terrified to take this pill!! I have had an incredibly bad experience with an antibiotic in the past so trying new medication, especially antibotics, is very hard for me. But, I'm here to tell you a happy story. :) I was so terrified by these reviews I put it off for days. I wish I wouldn't have! The nitrofurantoin gave me relief from my bladder infection within three days, and did not experience any of the terrible things people here have described. I did have some stomach issues while taking it (cramping and bloating, loose stool), but I have stomach issues, so this was no surprise to me. Take a good probiotic to keep that gut flora on track, and remember that everybody reacts to medication differently. Some people have adverse reactions while some tolerate everything just fine. If you take it and have poor side effects, stop taking it and contact your doctor. Otherwise, you're fine. :)"

Anonymous March 21, 2019

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION!!! I AM a healthy, active person. I almost never get sick. The night I took the first pill I was nauseous. I woke up the next day and thought I was getting the flu. My legs ached and I had the chills. I continued to take the pills thinking I had the flu. I fainted on the second day. I got red eyes, rashes on my legs, heartburn, headache, neck ache, stomach ache. I look like a zombie. Finally I thought, this is NOT the flu. I contacted my doctor and she said, 'stop the pills'. I did a day ago but I am still feeling horrid....headache and blahness. Normally I work out 3 x's a week, am active, work full time. All I can do now is sit on the couch. I am so sorry I took Microbid. I hope this drug will eventually get out of my system."

EG (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Ive been one of the lucky ones! Been taking nitrofurantoin for 5 days now for my UTI and had barely any side affects, just a bit lethargic and dizzy and nausea but that is it! Pain stopped a day after starting taking it! But probably wouldn’t use this medicine again because of side affects.."

Annieee (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Horrible! I had 3 days for a UTI and felt unwell - which I put down to the UTI. I had a few days of feeling well and then thought the UTI was returning, had a positive dip test and neck pain so the GP prescribed it me for a week for high UTI/kidney infection. I am on day 4. I think my UTI is clearing - I no longer have the associated back/kidney pain. However the side effects are quite awful. I feel tired, lethargic, spaced out, dizzy and not with it. Not too bad at rest but when I’m walking I feel all out of sync and lightheaded - I couldn’t go to work like this, nor could I drive. If I wasn’t allergic to penicillin I’d ask my GP to swap. I feel really really unwell. I’m sleeping OK but having very bizarre dreams and waking up with a pounding heart and random anxiety - which is unusual for me... it’s a means to an end but it’s not an antibiotic I’d take if I felt there was an alternative."

Rayrayfitz (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2019

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I've never done a review but wanted to on it because of so many bad reviews. The macrobid is working great, no side effects that I’ve noticed from the meds. But before starting the meds I did have a severe UTI with severe pain in my stomach and back as well as nausea, dizziness, cramps, muscle weakness, headache and flu like symptoms all from the UTI infection. I felt like death. Which has all subsided since taking this medicine. I’ve read a lot of bad reviews but I think everyone fails to realize that UTI and bladder infections cause a lot of symptoms plus everyone reacts differently. I would take this again!"

Tiff (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "After previously being hospitalized for a UTI I am now on Macrobid for to prevention UTI's. I took one pill and later that day, I was cold. Took my 2nd and currently I am laying in bed, can’t think with flu-like symptoms, watching my fever. It hurts to even get out of bed and physically walk. I have never experienced this much pain before! I have to take this medication for 3 months!! I hope and ray I can survive!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2019

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Worse experience I've ever had, I'm pregnant so I thought maybe it was the pregnancy causing all these bad symptoms but nooo it was UTI. Abdominal pains, throwing up, diarrhea. I didn't even want to move. Took my last dose today and I couldn't wait. Yes it cured my UTI but the side effects were the worst."

Cma16 (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was diagnosed with a UTI on a Friday afternoon and given this med. no fever prior to dr visit. Took one pill immediately and another 6.5 hrs later. 3 hrs after the first pill began the migraine behind my eyes that didn’t stop for 4 days and the chest pain like a mild wheezing & no appetite. It only got worse from there. That night and for 3 days and nights after I ran a fever of 100-103, with severe muscle and joint aches, sweats, chills, and delirium. And I drank over 2 gallons of water a day Bc the dr said oh ensure you are drinking enough! Please! I have never in my life felt so horrible. I never get sick and have a very high pain tolerance, but this was a nightmare. Only when the dr came off her leisurely weekend did she bother to change my med, which was Cipro and made me feel like I was on hallucinogens! Drug companies need to post more serious reactions like these so people know they happen."

Anonymous 34567 March 12, 2019

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: "I was prescribed Macrobid 100 mg to take at night was a prophylatic from recurrent UTIs. I took it nightly for 15 days. On the 16th day, I had a horrible reaction. Hives and itching from head to toe. Went to my internist and was given two antihistamines for 10 days. I was afraid it damaged my liver due to the itching. My internist ran a liver panel stat. Liver function perfect, feel better with the antihistamines and stopped Macrobid. I am not taking this toxic drug to prevent UTIs, not worth it. In my opinion, it may be okay for short term use, but not as a preventative. I am surprised it took almost two weeks for my body to have an allergic reaction. Strange and scary."

Queenofhearts (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I use to have recuurent UTIs and my go to was Macrobid. I never had any significant side effects aside from being tired. I took a generic this time and it made me feel terrible. Extreme fatigue, weakness , nausea with a loss of appetite. I took 10 pills and 5 days after stopping still feel awful. Good news is the UTI cleared up but I don't feel well at all."

Sam (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have a UTI. Had a culture done. I have e coli and I am sensitive to nitro. YET I had to take two rounds of 100 mg x 2 for it to go away (while fighting a yeast infection). UTI symptoms returned one week later. Did another 7-day round of the same dose. I was to reduce the dose to half, when urinating pain returned. Now I am in my 4th round of nitro. This is one of the least "habituating" antibiotic, and I don't want to try anything else, since the culture indicated in a graph that this is the best match for my strain of e coli. My doctor says that these infections may take a long time to treat successfully. I will have another culture done to see if I still have the same sensitivity to it."

MAE (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "“Pop”!!! That sound came from my right calf last night after being on this medication. I can not walk or ambulated. I had been telling my family for 3 days that I felt I needed to check into the hospital but had no idea that the severe stomach pains, aching body like I had widespread infection, 2 fingers on right had so tender that any bump made me wince in pain, stabbing pains to back of my head, confusion, loose stools, upset stomach with GERD all could come from one pill. As soon as I head the loud pop in my calf I went online. I also have been experiencing a feeling that I had a hernia in my navel but had not experienced anything to have caused a strain. I was given 14 pills, I have 4 left. I can not do it another day. Funny thing my doctor just gave me these pills on a suspected UTI, I think if I drop my decaf coffee habit I won’t have any issues with that. My dr. did not ask me about what I’m drinking like soda and coffee, they just push these killer drugs on us and should query us more about our lifestyles and what we can do to help ourselves. I am 58."

Andrecita (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2019

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have reoccurring bladder infections/UTI’s. I’ve always had anxiety disorder and now I am wondering if it is due to taking this as a preventative dose since I was a teen. I had a horrible UTI, which I hadn’t had for ages. The doctor prescribed me this, I have been on it 4 days and I am so sick. Nausea, diarrhea, major anxiety, leg cramps, my muscles in my leg are so stiff I can't take it, also major shortness of breath. I will NEVER take this medication AGAIN! Worst medication I have EVER took in my entire life!"

Steph A (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2019

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "Went into hospital emergency for right kidney stone 14mm. On discharged from the ward. I am now on Nitronfurantion 50mg 4 times a day. The side effects at present are in the morning I am anxious and also a bit disorientated and slow in making decisions, by midday gradually during the day I feel more in control. I am having some diarrhea and pain across my abdomen. At present is not as bad as the other antibiotics. If the pain across my abdomen becomes worse I have pain relief suppositories which are also for my Ureteric Stent, which does get uncomfortable. At present no other side effects at present. The Ureteric Stent and kidney stone may removed in sometime in the middle of March 2019. With some luck I will be off all the antibiotics. "

Derek March 1, 2019

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Did not work at all for me. UTI came back in 10 days. On cipro now. Found it useless."

JJ (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2019