User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 46 reviews 29 medications

7.2
Urinary Tract Infection 454 reviews 190 medications

Bladder Infection 205 reviews 82 medications

4.9
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 705 reviews 5.7

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Macrobid did nothing to eliminate my UTI. It was a failure just like amoxicillian. I was a bit nauseous at first but nothing that affected me. I took it for ten days."

Stephen20000 (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection: "I can't remember why I was prescribed this medication. I do remember it was because I needed a strong antibiotic. This medication caused me to bleed internally and have horrible diarrhea and subsequent dehydration within the first two days I took it! I took it as directed and ensured I took it twice a day with meals. I went to see my doctor the day after the adverse side effects began, and he advised me to discontinue the medication immediately and to never take it again. At the time, May 2014, there wasn't much known about this medication - nor it's side effects."

Anonymous October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Just caused the worst side effect to my lungs after using this over a year. Where is the GP or specialist that must have warned me against these symptoms or kept me recorded in progress with this medication. Accordingly to my lung specialist this medicine is poison to the human body."

Elsa White October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: "Macrodantin was prescribed to me to prevent UTI . I only have to take one when needed. During one month I got four fever attacks with chills, headaches and muscle cramps. Very much like flu symptoms . It goes on for 2 days then I am fine again. Eventually I realised that it might be this medication since I took one on a Friday evening and the next day when I woke up I got this horrible symptoms again I read about the side effects and realised that this might be the cause."

Leeu October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Awful medication. I was only prescribed 6 tablets to take and if I'd read on here about them, I would have stopped after the first 1. Horrific headaches straight away, constantly nausea so much so I could barely eat to take my next tablet, drowsiness where I'm bumbling about my flat constantly, heat sweats, skin sensitivity. My neck is unbelievably sore making my headaches much worse."

Sian m October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "49 year old female. I was not showing any signs of a UTI. My doctor tested my urine and "thought there maybe a possiblity of a UTI." Therefore, as a precaution I was prescribed 100 mg twice a day for 5 days. I was extremely tired, a bit dizzy at times, mild headache. Within 24 hrs. I had severe chills temp jumped up to 103, sweated out all night. Seem to be a bit better this morning, temp returned to normal 95.8. But still very tired and headache. I felt better prior as I had NO symptoms. Trying to stick it out for another 2 days. Sign."

Kathy8383 (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was extremely hesitant about taking this drug because of all the negative reviews. This drug worked great for my UTI for a few weeks. No real side effects except a headache here and there. I would definitely take it after a meal. Even with all of the negative reviews, just remember that each person is different and everyone reacts differently to drugs. I was so afraid of trying this drug because of the horrible side effects, however I am so glad that I did! I would have rated it a 10, however I now have to take something stronger due to the type of bacteria that showed up in my urine that is hard to treat."

Maureen S. (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This is a serious antibiotic. I have never had such adverse side-effects to a medication than I have with nitro. I had a UTI that kept coming back for about 5 month. Doc finally put me on Nitro after cipro and everything else didn't work. I am on day 9 of a 10 day dose and feel like I am dying. I can't get a good rest. My lungs feel congested but I can't cough up anything and my cough is dry. I get panicky and frustrated very easily. I have ZERO energy. My hair is thinning. I am freezing constantly. Overall I feel like I am getting over the flu. Unlike those who complain of diarrhea, I have severe constipation. I am only one day away from the end... I just need to tough it out one more day...."

Kevola September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I had a UTI not too long ago, and I was prescribed Macrobid. I did not have any crazy side effects. Unfortunately I get them frequently and just started a new round of Macrobid, and this time has been nothing but bad news. I am on day 5 of 7 and I have been extremely nauseous, dizzy, and tired along with sharp abdominal pain. The UTI isn't as severe anymore but I feel like it hasn't been as effective and that it's still lingering. I made sure to eat a decent meal before and drink plenty of water, I think that it's just not reacting well with my system. I am definitely stopping after today and going to the doctor to figure out a new solution."

Good then bad (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have been to scared to use the bathroom all day. After one dose of Macrobid (3ish hours after) I already have relief! I seriously can't believe it's working this fast."

Xnotilh September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "So, Macrobid can certainly have some uncomfortable side effects. Most of these are preventable/treatable with headache pills, taking it with lots of food, and probiotics. If you are allergic, that is not the fault of the medicine, nor is it yours. That's just the way the cards were dealt. Macrobid, or nitrofurantoin, is very good for UTI treatment and the methods it does so makes bacteria unlikely to build resistance to it. Macrobid should be the first option before general antibiotics for this reason. Macrobid works very well and usually is taken twice daily (breakfast, dinner). For me, I had fatigue and headaches but they left after two days. After that, I felt fine for the remaining 8 days. And it worked!"

Kibbler (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This med is HORRIBLE!! I am a very happy well-rounded person. After taking this for two days I was a wreck! It gave me panic attacks, which I've never had before. It made me cry which I don't do often. It also gave me numb lips and crawly scalp. DON't take it! Take Over the counter Cystex or AVO products and drink lots of water. Rest and stay near the bathroom. You'll be fine without this."

Not Happy! (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "After two 100mg doses of Macrobid in 15 hrs my UTI symptoms such as a non fully empty bladder and a pinching pressure on my bladder with more urine coming out. Still many trips but all the urine comes out for the most without discomfort. Side effect: headache each time I took a dose. Still within the 24 hour mark but noticable improvement"

Gail7877 (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Prescribed this after recurrent UTI. I am very prone to them and if you are too try to listen to your body and know your triggers. I know it sucks to not be able to drink soda, or having to jump up after sex to pee but it's well worth it in the long run. Macrobid like sulpha and cipro make me feel uneasy but there's no getting around that but I would rather feel a little uneasy then peeing what feels like fire and sitting on the toilet for hours crying thinking how unfair it is to be born with a short urethra. I'm shocked how many people would rather have a UTI than the uneasiness of an antibiotic. Not for me. Obviously my symptoms of painful urinating makes it so worth just a little tummy ache to feel better. Take with food. Take all reviews with a grain of salt."

Mlmlmlml August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed this for a UTI and while it did help with that, it ended up giving me the worst yeast infection of my life that I am still treating 2 months later. I usually don't have too much of an issue with antibiotics but this was awful."

theoguiseppe (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection: "Took this for a UTI that wouldn't let me eat for 2 days, got my appetite back, although this pill took a little longer to clear it than others I've been on. The only noticeable side effect was neon yellow urine, so that made it difficult to tell if I was hydrated enough. I read how lots of other people have had a bad experience, this pill helped me get back to work."

CJ1987 August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed Microbid for a UTI that I had for about 2 weeks. I took 2 pills so far 100mg each. I have stomach issues so I took mine with vanilla yogurt and had no nausea or vomiting. I highly suggest yogurt when taking antibiotics. It works like a charm. I have had no bad issues or side effects. I already feel better after 2 pills. Give the medication a chance it's working to kill bad bacteria which can make anyone feel yucky. Good luck!!!"

SpenceMJ1985 (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Alright, so in terms of this medication, it did its job. One thing I know after having UTI's here and there on occasion that antibiotics are downright AGGRESSIVE. Even with other antibiotics, I had experience similar side effects. But I'd say for those who are not big on side effects this is not the greatest. Everybodys bodies are different, but in my case I had some of the side affects posted: hard time sleeping, soreness, headaches, oddly colored diarrhea, you name it. In general nitrofuranctoin means business and really buckle up for the side affects, but it did the job for me and I saw improvement with my UTI in 2 days so far on my 4th day and no UTI!"

At least the uti is gone August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I used this medication for 2 days and I had widespread pain all over my body. When asked to discontinue the med I hurt for 2 to 3 days. My experience was not a good one however I know it may work for others."

Jewelfire1242 August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I took 1 pill...4 hours later and I was vomiting like crazy. Ridiculous."

Stacy12345 August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection: "I had a bladder infection for the first time in my life, and was prescribed this medication. Worst experience of my life! Immediately upon taking this medication ( I took food with it, which is recommended), I started experiencing a horrible panic attack, followed by wheezing and coughing. But that wasn't the worst of it: I began feeling nauseous, and started vomiting. I threw up all the food I had eaten! I felt like I had a severe case of food poisoning! I had to stay in bed all day, in case I vomited again. Thankfully I didn't, and I must admit that my UTI symptoms disappeared after that first pill, but never again will I take this medication. I hope this helped."

Charlie Albert August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "These things are all true, but it is also a very urinary specific drug that does the job when a lot of broad-spectrum antibiotics won't."

Wrider (taken for 10 years or more) August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "After having six UTIs in about 5 months, my urogyn put me on 100 mg. of Macrobid (one every night). After ten solid months of it, I spent 2-1/2 days in the hospital: thought I was having a heart attack! Turned out it was a pulmonary problem. Heavy pressure in the chest, shortness of breath and tingling around the lips. Going back and researching Macrobid, I found out that indeed, long term usage can cause pulmonary problems. I do think if works for short term usage."

Be careful ! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Was prescribed 3 days of trimethoprim for a UTI and they didn't touch it. I'm now on day 6 of a 7 day course of nitrafurantoin and I have had terrible diarrhea and stomach cramps. My wee has also turned a bright yellow which I'm concerned about since I thought it only turned dark yellow or brown on these tablets. Anyway, my UTI symptoms don't seem to have gotten any better."

kittykat_81 August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Worse antibiotic I have ever taken. This is the first time I've ever take an antibiotic and felt worse than the infection."

Kimmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy August 19, 2017