User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 33 reviews 29 medications

6.8
Urinary Tract Infection 274 reviews 182 medications

Bladder Infection 151 reviews 81 medications

4.8
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 458 reviews 5.5

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Was prescribed this medication for my UTI. After taking my second pill, I started experiencing severe migraines and blurred vision. It was so bad that I couldn't drive. I stopped taking it yesterday and my vision is still not 100%. I recommend people try this for a day and observe your bodies reaction. Lots of people have a bad reaction to this medication (Ive NEVER had a reaction to medication in my life only this one). If your sensitive to certain medication I highly recommend you don't take this one."

MQM9999 July 22, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I've had a recurrent UTI for the past month and no other antibiotics had been working. Doctor prescribed this one 100 mg, twice a day every 12 hours, for five days. After my first dose, my urgency to urinate had subsided a lot. Nevertheless, by the second dose severe nausea, constipation, and fatigue began. I have been a zombie at work and just the thought of food makes me want to puke, even though I've been forcing myself to have at least three full meals a day (particularly when I take the medication). Have two more days to go, and I just wrote to my provider to see if I MUST finish it. The UTI symptoms are gone at this point yet the side effects are decreasing my quality of life by the minute."

MiseryInAPill July 21, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Have anxiety issues and think this medicine affected my anxiety...felt a bit lightheaded and nauseous and had a panic attack. Not sure if it the macrobid or pyridium. Symptoms of UT I better but not totally gone yet."

Mammadee (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I'm on day 2, so I have taken 4 pills and I feel absolutely horrible nausea. I have aches all over like the flu and pains in my stomach, sharp ones. I can barely keep my head up. I am stopping them and going back to the doctor tomorrow. I have never felt so bad, also very explosive diarrhea. I'm thinking of going to the hospital. I feel as if I have been poisoned."

Heidila July 18, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I am currently on day 2 of macrobid, 2x daily for 5 days. Pharmacist was sure to emphasize to take macrobid with food to prevent nausea. So far, I have no nausea, but have developed a terrible headache. I must say, that pain of the UTI was gone within two hours of taking my first dose, which is worth it to me. So I'll be sticking this one out and hope the headache doesn't worsen."

Ali18 July 8, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "After reading a lot of bad reviews I was hesitant to use macrobid as a treatment for a pretty severe bladder infection. However, I didn't experience many of the side effects that I read about. Although it did make me rather fatigued, I made sure to drink lots of water and took my pills with a nice healthy meal! I also took my 100mg pills twice a day at the exact same time as to get my body on a routine. Almost 3 days off of it and feeling back to 100%! Would have no problem using this antibiotic again!"

Vicky__ July 8, 2016

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "I took this med once before and had the same symptoms so I don't think the first time was a fluke. After taking just one pill, within a few hours, I was nauseous to the point I could not lay down. My head started to hurt and then within in six hours I had body aches all over. I also developed a cough, and it was hard to breathe. It has been over 14 hours, I am just now starting to feel a little better. This medicine is awful. Don't take it."

Claree July 7, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have Urge Incontinence and take quite a few urine infections. Nitro as I call it is brilliant, as it gets to the root of the problem within, taking the first few caps. The only sort of down thing is, it gives me chronic indigestion, but I'm sure we can all supply ourselves with an anti-acid. If it was not for Nitrofurantoin, day to day living would be pretty painful. Getting urinary infections, sometimes comes with holding in too much, but when you have Urge Incontinence, I find myself doing this all the time, it works, until I get to my commode, but to what cost--I hear you all say--, a lot. So Nitro is definitely the answer to my urine infections."

Lynda McEachran (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2016

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "I was given this drug to prevent an infection because I passed a kidney stone. After taking 2 doses, I ended up in the ER and was admitted to the hospital for 3 days! I went to the ER because of 103.1 fever along with severe shakes and disorientation, I passed out twice in the ER. I began feeling better the next day, butI had to stay the 3 days because of a rapid heartbeat. I am a very healthy 40 year old female, but this drug really did a number on me. Will never take it again!"

BankingLady July 5, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "First pill caused a slight tingling and numbness in lips, tongue, fingers and toes. Second dose twelve hours later caused much worse numbness and tingling, pain in hands, along with a very bad headache. Called physician in AM and she advised me to stop medication immediately which I did. She advised me to wait 24 hrs before using new script, she will call in for another antibiotic. Numbness and tingling lasted 48 hrs. after stopping meds. Will not try again!"

DMDEMA July 3, 2016

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "Getting many reoccurring uti's so starting taking one a night for 4 months and I've been perfect ever since! I did have mad itching with my hands legs and head but I took some piritin antihistamine for a few nights and I never got the itch after! I'm afraid to stop taking this drug as its been so amazing for me!"

Dee-78 July 3, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Lower back pain gone after 1st day of this medicine. Nausea is horrible - taking phenegran to offset nausea. I'm lethargic and resting. This stuff must be strong - but I'd take bed rest and nausea over a knife in my back anyway!!! I'm on 2X daily WITH FOOD for 5 days. I'm on day 3."

Amy Aggie (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "When taking macrobid I felt slightly nauseous and had a headache for a few hours. My advice is to eat a light meal with it. I didn't hence I felt sick. After 5 days symptoms improved though. Glad I stuck through it the last 4-5 days :)"

Teppers (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed this medication for my uti. I was asked to take it 2 times a day for 5 days. I took the first dose before I went to bed. I woke up at around 6 with chills. I went to use the bathroom and fainted. I was very dizzy the entire day. I couldn't walk without getting help. I couldn't sleep because of horrible lower abdominal pains I was having. I also had very bad chest pains. The next day I woke my body was in so much pain. I had sharp pains in my stomach the entire day. I stopped taking these pills and I would never recommend them to anyone."

Kas_Michelle July 2, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I used to get utis ALL THE TIME. Sulfate never work for me. Went to an old country doctor who prescribed me 100 50mg tablets. Told me to take one before and after sex. It has changed my world. Used to be that if my husband and I had sex and I didn't urinate immediately afterwards, you could BET I was getting one. Haven't had one in two years since staring this regiment."

Mommakate (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was feeling generally unwell last week and visited my doctor who did urine dipstick test and told me there were 'white blood cells' found and prescribed Nitrofurantoin 50mg 4 times a day for 7 days. About two days after I started taking them I had extremely dry mouth, horrendous headache and felt generally unwell as though the parts of my body were disjointed. I also started to think very disturbed depressive thoughts and prone to tears. The headache became unbearable and there was no sign of improvement in my condition so after five days of suffering on tablets I stopped taking them and rang my GP who told me my urine sample had come back from lab and it showed no sign of infection!!!!!! All this for nothing!!!! I was so upset."

V179 (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed Nitrofurantoin 3 separate times for UTI's. The first time it cleared up the infection immediately. The 2nd time I accidentally left the last two pills behind at a place we stayed so I wasn't able to complete the prescription. The 3rd time it cleared up the infection after two days. Each time I was prescribed 100 mg. 2 tablets a day for 7 days. The only side effect I had was it made me a little more tired than usual. The relief it brought was amazing and very soon. I would ask for it again as the Sulfa was resistant to the bacteria I had. Also, I didn't have any other side effects besides slight drowsiness."

Chorks June 27, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Recurring infection and two courses of different medications prior to macro bid. It started working in 24hrs but did have headache and visual episode, plus dizzy spell over course of five days. Relief of the infection outweighs side effects."

Jcbumps June 23, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "Not impressed with this drug. I was prescribed a 50mg tablet 4 times a day for 7 days to be taken with food. This was a struggle. Who wants to eat 4 times a day when you've lost your appetite and especially last thing at night for the final dose. Might have been working slightly by the last day but gave up then and am now taking Cefalexin."

Sushiwop June 19, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This medication is horrible. Went urgent care, the doc gave this med to treat kidney infection. Right after first dose I got a migraine and terrible stomach pains. I stopped taking after three days. Now, two days later I feel worse than I did initially. I can't see my dr for five more days. I think I'll go to ER, because I have fever and my kidneys are on fire. I read somewhere that this med is not for kidney infection. Guess I'll find out soon."

Jk6511 June 19, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "3 months ago I was on Macrobid for a UTI. On the 5th day of taking it (last day), I had a hard time breathing during the night and I thought that I was catching a cold or something. It went away fairly quickly so I didn't associate it with this antibiotic until yesterday. I have another UTI and was prescribed Macrobid again. It worked great in taking away my UTI the first time, so I didn't think anything of it. Took the first dose yesterday morning with food and was fine. Took the 2nd dose before bed with food and that's when I realized I made a mistake. I was up ALL night because I was having a HARD time breathing. I felt like I couldn't catch my breath. When I got up this morning and saw the side effects. How scary!"

Weebs123 June 16, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "After having taken Nitrofurantoin for 10 days, the side effects occurred a few hours later. First: hands itching, next day, itching under the armpits, and pubic area, saw no rash. itching behind the ears, itching at center of hairline in the back, upper and lower back, front of neck, blisters on my right shoulder, a few hives on my back, chills, severe neuropathy in feet and hands(almost unbearable burning and itching. Rashes on my neck(in front), at the large chest area, above the breasts, chest pan on and of."

slank June 15, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "I am so glad just googled everyone else's comments, I took 2 tablets yday and was fine .. After breakfast this morning I can honestly say my body hasn't known such pain and ALL over! From my head to my toes, it's hot outside yet I'm inside shaking with shivers and a hot water bottle. My head is pounding, I have a dry mouth, ifeel disorientated... I ache all over, my tummy hurts ...So I've stopped taking it and Dr says to wait and see what happens before I take another antIB. I'm glad I'm not alone as I thought I was going to call 999! Although not glad anyone else has suffered like this. Awful awful drug and F all help from doctors really."

Qazwerty02 (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "After reading the reviews for this antibiotic, I was terrified to even take it. I went to urgent care in Orlando because I had gotten a uti during my vacation in Disney World, so it wasn't even my own doctor prescribing me the medication. I was prescribed 100 mg to take 2 times a day for 7 days. The majority of people claimed to have horrible side effects, but I did not have any, besides small stomach cramps a couple hours after taking the pill. Do not let the reviews scare you. Everyone is different! My only complaint is that it worked so slowly. It took 6 days for all of my symptoms to completely clear up. Now I have to wait and see if the infection comes back."

MirandaPanda14 (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I wish I would have read these reviews before I started taking this medication! I feel soooo sick! I started to wonder if I have something really serious like cancer. I am so weak. One minute I am drenched in sweat and then I have chills so bad no amount of blankets will warm me. I can't get out of bed and I must go to work tomorrow. I am a teacher and I have parent/teacher conferences! I constantly have a fever of 101 or higher! Why would they prescribe this medication to any one. Too many people have the same terrible side effects!"

Ogarc3 (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2016