User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Macrobid, Macrodantin, Furadantin

Nitrofurantoin has an average rating of 4.4 out of 10 from a total of 1,561 ratings on Drugs.com. 28% of those users who reviewed Nitrofurantoin reported a positive effect, while 52% reported a negative effect.

Urinary Tract Infection
6.3
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 4.4 1,561 reviews

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Bee · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2021

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: “This Macrobid is a great antibiotic in my opinion, I had a horrible UTI with all the typical symptoms for 2 days. I took AZO, OTC pain meds, nothing would touch it. I was prescribed Macrobid and within 4-6 hours most of my UTI symptoms were almost completely gone. The side effect of mild nausea that I found went away if taken with a meal. Do not let these reviews scare you. The relief this antibiotic gave me, I would take it again with no hesitation.”

Lpa · Taken for less than 1 month May 9, 2021

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: “I’ve taken Macrobid twice for bladder infections. Both times I finished the antibiotics and ended up back at the doctor worse than when I started taking it. Both times it had moved to my kidneys. Both times I was given Bactrim for the second round. After two pills I was so much better. Urologist said Bactrim is the way to go. Not sure why so many other antibiotics are given first.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2021

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: “So this is my 3rd time on these tablets this year first two times was for a UTI this time for a kidney infection. The first two times no side effects at all. This time I’m on day 4 of taking these and I feel dreadful dry mouth stomach ache/cramps/pain diarrhoea and this morning I woke up and felt like I had flu, with fever, chills and severe aches and pains from the stomach down. I’m going to have to continue taking them due to having a kidney infection I did ring my doctors but they refused to change my antibiotics. This is just my experience everyone is different but I definitely wouldn’t take these again and I can normally take any tablets and have no side effects.”

Runnergirl · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2020

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: “Came on to share my experience after seeing all of the bad reviews. I have not experienced any side effects from Macrobid; and haven’t always eaten with a large meal. Very well tolerated and provided relief from painful UTI after only a few doses. I tend to react to antibiotics but no issues with this one.”

Say no to nitrofurantoin · Taken for less than 1 month October 4, 2020

For Bladder Infection: “Do not take nitrofurantoin. There is a good chance like me you will experience heart palpitations, syncope, shortness of breath, severe headaches, tingling/numbness, belching, lethargy, depression, anxiety, swollen bladder just to name a few. Take this drug off the market now before someone is severely injured by it. Coming from a nurse!!!”

Peck January 5, 2021

For Bladder Infection: “I am a 45 year old male and I was prescribed this nitrofurantoin on boxing day 2020 as I developed a UTI. I read the reviews on here which really put me off taking them. I decided I wasn't going to take them but the pain got worse so the next day I bit the bullet and started my 7 day course. I must admit, I had NO side effects and by day 2 I started to feel a little better and by day 5 I was back to normal. I completed the course and I am glad I opted to take them in the end. People mainly leave reviews if they have a bad experience and hardly ever if they have had a good one. Do yourself a favour, stop reading these reviews as they will just scare you, your Dr obviously thinks you need this medication and the benefits outweigh the risks. Give it a go, I'm glad I did.”

TM · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2020

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: “DO NOT RECOMMENDED THIS DRUG. I feel like my feet are plugged into an electrical socket- the worst pain I've ever felt. Side effects mentioned tingle but I feel like I'm being electrocuted- it's THAT PAINFUL. My vision is blurred. I spent days sweating, fever and chills, I thought I had corona virus and a UTI. 1st pill delivered the most intense headache on earth - needed pain pill to counteract. Dizziness, fatigue where I slept all day after pill 2. It wasn't until day 3 that I realize it was Macrobid making me so sick as I was perfect before. When my feet began feeling like the were literally set ablaze from the inside out I stopped taking this stuff immediately. I stopped yesterday and still have an excruciating burning pain in my feet and tingle sensation in my hands. If this still has me in this level of pain Monday I'm calling a lawyer. I've never experienced ANY side effects from medicine and with this one I've experienced them all. This is poison! Do not take it.”

Chernobyl December 16, 2020

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: “I was feeling lousy from my UTI and I was prescribed macrobid and I had zero side effects..!! I'm hyper sensitive to any pill I put in my body, so I was nervous at 1st. But I woke up the next morning and the UTI pains and nausea were gone! I felt and am feeling SOOOO much better!! I feel back to normal, if not better! Thank God!”

Truthie · Taken for less than 1 month June 26, 2020

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: “Was put on macrobid when my yearly physical lab showed a slightly higher WBC in urine. After 2 doses I began with chills and fever. I had three days of 104 temp, nausea and vomiting even water would not stay down. As a senior adult living alone I feared the need for IV and hospital treatment but would not go due to Covid. Called my Dr back and was told to go get tested for Covid. They offered no other reason for my ills. I did my own research and took myself off of the drug. 24 hours later.. no chills, fever is normal, no vomiting. This was like poisoning my body. Never again! My daughters had similar experiences also. Be aware if taking this drug. I do not think it should be on the market”

Esti · Taken for less than 1 month May 27, 2020

For Bladder Infection: “Prescribed for a very mild UTI , wish I never had, severe headache, stiff neck and shoulder muscles like cement , nausea, feels like brain is swooshing with movement, exhausted, emotional. Possibly the worst side effects I have ever had of any medication. Have never had any trouble with an antibiotic. I'm only 2 days in and 5 to go, I'm so tired, my hand is getting tired and strained for effort just to type this. Sounds all exaggerated, but I feel utterly terrible.”

Lizzie · Taken for less than 1 month April 14, 2021

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: “My daughter in law took this medication the beginning of January and got sick, so sick she was admitted to the hospital. They took all kinds of tests, sent her home not able to figure out what as causing her symptoms. Within a week she was turning yellow with jaundice and so so much sicker my son took her back to the hospital by that night she was air lifted to a hospital three hours away. Her liver completely shut down, she was lucky to have received a new liver within the week, total transplant. So at 35 with a one year old at that she still can’t even pick up yet, she has suffered greatly. Her transplant doctors told her they believed it was this drug. Check it out, way down the list of thing that can go wrong would be “Liver tissue death”. Now this drug may help some but I would not use it!”

Ray · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2020

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: “I've been reading the reviews and freaking out. I've had MANY bladder infections in my 18 years on this planet (sucks). But I've always been prescribed bactrim. But that was always by my pediatrician, so I'm in between doctors right now. I went to an online doctor thru my insurance company and they prescribed me Macrobid. I honestly broke down into tears after reading everyone's bad reviews. But I took my first pill today about 2 hours ago and the only side effect I've felt is feeling kind of heavy and fatigued. I ate dinner before taking and have been drinking water consistently since taking it. I feel pretty good! Sorry to everyone who's had a bad experience I hope y'all get better and that I don't have any of them ”

V · Taken for less than 1 month June 1, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I was given this drug to treat my UTI. It felt like it started to work on the 3 day. Now on day 4 I start feeling urgency again. I am on a 7 day course. Do I have to wait for the medicine to finish before it starts working. I am so frustrated.”

Demi · Taken for less than 1 month February 1, 2021

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: “Had a UTI that keflex could not treat. I could tell it was getting worse. Got Macrobid, a few hours after the first pill I felt better. I did take it with food, and lots of water. The only symptom I experienced was headaches. Took all the 7 days worth of meds and it wasn't bad at all. I was super scared to take it because of the reviews but I was like ....you know what everyone's body is different and I didn't want the UTI to get worse. So if you got this medication please take with food and drink a ton of water.”

311 · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2020

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: “I am a woman in her 40’s, I can’t speak for all women but for me my UTI’s have been getting worse with age. The pain and burning is almost unbearable. I don’t remember my 20’s being this bad. That being said, I was always put on cipro with the worst side effects that after day 3 I usually quit them all together. I recently just had a UTI, I was put on macrobid twice a day for 5 days. I am a small woman only 113 pounds. The first day I took a pill in the morning and at night, I only had half the capsule. I had absolutely no side effects and the antibiotic worked within hours!! Relief was amazing. This is the third day for me and I plan on doing the same thing. I’m not telling you to do what I did, I’m just telling you for me it worked. Also please grab D-mannose. It is a supplement that keeps UTI's away for good. I got lazy and quit buying it and boom, have sex and get a uti. I wish you all great health!!”

SarahBeth · Taken for less than 1 month November 21, 2019

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: “I’m leaving this review for people (like myself) who google EVERYTHING before they try something. I have A LOT of anxiety so reading these reviews made me very nervous about starting this med. I was given cipro 3 days ago for a UTI/kidney infection and spent the whole night throwing up, and pain etc. went back to the dr and she prescribed Macrobid. It’s been 2 days that I have been taking it and so far, so good. Yes you have to eat with it or I get mild nausea. I find myself more tired but that’s ok with me...I need sleep! I have been drinking a lot more water (I’m a huge water drinker to begin with) this med makes me thirsty. I’m glad I tried it and didn’t let the reviews get the best of me! I don’t know how it’s working for the UTI because I didn’t have any symptoms other than back pain. It was the urine results that warranted the medication. Everyone reacts different to medications. So please take these reviews with a grain of salt. Good luck to everyone out there!!”

Gallifreyel · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2020

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: “I was prescribed 5 days worth of 100Mg Macrobid for a UTI. It was working, but very slowly. It did not clear up my UTI, and it got worse again. I talked to a friend who had been prescribed it multiple times, and it never works for her and caused a kidney infection due to its impotency. I read online that it doesn't work for older women, but we are in our early 20's, so it's not just older women. I do not recommend Macrobid especially after reading all of these other reviews. If you get prescribed it, do yourself a favor, and ask for something else.”

chicky · Taken for less than 1 month November 19, 2019

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: “Let me just say, I was terrified to begin this antibiotic Macrobid because of all of the reviews. But let me say I am so glad I did. Ladies PLEASE do not let these reviews scare you away. First, it is incredibly important to take the antibiotic to get rid of the infection before it gets serious. Second, all of these side affects will not affect most people - people who have bad experiences are so much more likely to leave a review- if something works fine people just get on with their lives. I know everyone’s body takes meds different but this is literally the top line MOST COMMONLY prescribed medication for UTIs. Thousands of women get prescribed this every day and have no affects. I have not had ANY side affects and I’m feeling sososo much better already. Don’t let these scare you and help your body heal!!!! Just make sure you eat your yogurt and probiotics to keep away the yeast infections!!”

Sadams0815 February 25, 2021

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: “NEVER TAKE THIS DRUG!!! After taking my second dose I developed VIOLENT vomiting, diarrhea, severe body aches, extremely high heart rate, low oxygen and shortness of breath, fever, chills and an inability to move with severe fatigue. It’s now 42 hours after my last dose and I am better. We are in a pandemic and having all these symptoms which sure did scared me. I do NOT EVER recommend this drug to ANYONE! Horrible! I’m obviously not the only one. I wish I had read the reviews before I took this Med!!!”

Flower · Taken for less than 1 month September 13, 2020

For Bladder Infection: “This is the 2nd time I have used nitrofurantoin. I start off with water infection, take the 1st tablet and it starts to ease some of the symptoms. Then evening comes and I start to feel really unwell, loss of appetite, like I have to get into bed as I feel so ill - achey, fluey. Both times on the first night I have gone shivery, burning up the worst fevers ever, my body feels like it is going into shut down and I feel like it is the end of my life. Lots of visit to the bathroom in the night and I leak so much. I am so weak the next day. I am out of it asleep. Still no appetite and the only drink that satisfies me is orange juice. This antibiotic helps with the infection but the tablets attack my system in a way that frightens me.”

Alegna November 11, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: “MOST reviews on the internet are going to be more negative than positive. If you had a bad experience your more likely to share than if the experience was fine. There are thousands of people using these meds everyday and they are fine so you never read about it. Let me reassure you it worked just fine. I always ate food WITH it, and drank lots of water and took a daily probiotic. I had a mild headache the 2nd day, and a little stomach cramps/loose stools by the 4th day, but nothing that major. It took 4 days for my UTI symptoms to go away and by the last day, day 7, back to normal. Some of the negative symptoms people describe are also the same symptoms you get when your UTI gets advanced or worse..not every antibiotic will work for every infection. Not necessarily a bad reaction, just not working. This med has been around for 50+years, and targets your urinary tract. It gets filtered thru your kidneys and gets right to the source. Don’t be afraid, if your doc thinks you need it.”

Rhlowe · Taken for less than 1 month September 11, 2020

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: “I have been taking 100 mg of macrobid at bedtime each night for the past almost 2 weeks to hopefully prevent reoccurring UTI’S. After a couple days, I developed such a bad cough that I was actually sent for a Covid-19 test, ran low grade fevers, had headaches, no energy at all....could barely move and felt faint and no appetite. Forgot the pill one night and realized, late the following day how great and normal I felt all day, so much energy....actually wanted to and ENJOYED eating. Took my pill again that night and next day....it was even worse. Am calling my doctor, I don’t want to feel like I’m literally fading away.”

NotMyHome · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2021

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: “I went to the doctor for complaint of an UTI. The doctor prescribed Macrobid for 5 days worth, twice a day. It definitely worked for the UTI within 2 days but I had severe side effects...sharp abdominal pains, urine turned dark orange, no appetite, headaches, terrible nausea, left shoulder pain, back pain, tired, almost felt like my head was in the clouds. When I finished the medication, I felt worse. I felt like I wanted to cry. I felt confused, still no appetite, I didn’t feel like myself at all. Stomach cramping pains still with a distended abdomen. I literally almost felt like a walking zombie. I’m still getting abdominal cramps and swollen abdomen. I need to see my doctor. I’m never taking this medication again.”

Mia February 20, 2020

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: “I have taken Macrobid many many times. I have never had any side effects and it clears up immediately. Mind you, I take myself to the clinic the moment I know I have a UTI which is typically cramping and pressure in my lower abdomen followed by issues urinating. I only ever get these symptoms after intercourse when I do not relieve myself almost immediately. I've never gone over 24hours with symptoms and not had Macrobid prescribed. It's a life safer.”

Aster September 24, 2020

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: “Macrobid was the worst antibiotic I've ever taken. I have never had a UTI and when I saw my Doctor she prescribed Macrobid 2x daily for 7 days. I have taken plenty of antibiotics in my lifetime and have never had any significant side effects. Within 4 hours of taking Macrobid I had terrible diarrhea for about 2 hours, after that I was nauseous to the point of vomiting (and I never vomit). No medication has ever made me this sick before. I had chills, weakness, diarrhea, and vomiting all within the first 12 hours. However, I know you're not supposed to stop taking medications so I took my second dose and the symptoms preceded to the point of not sleeping at all overnight. I stopped taking it the next day and my symptoms resolved completely. I went back to my doctor and got a different antibiotic that I had no problems with.”

JL · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: “I’m just finishing up seven days of macrobid and the negative reviews worried me. This is only the second UTI I’ve ever had and I don’t take antibiotics often so with that said I like to do research- but I’m here to tell you I didn’t even have ONE bad reaction. The UTI was gone by the next day. I was actually able to have some UTI relief after just one dose of macrobid. Think of all the thousands of people taking macrobid daily that don’t come on here and state their positive reactions, forums like this are equivalent to yelp; most people will just pop on to complain about their bad reaction but there are wayyyy more good than bad so don’t let them scare you away. If you don’t feel good after your first dose just don’t take the next one before talking to your doctor. UTI’s can be dangerous so it’s important that you have adequate medication pumping through you.”

Little t March 10, 2021

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: “I’ve had a bad reaction twice to the drug , it’s now on my records not to be given it, non stop being sick, a really pain full headache that does not respond to any pain relief. I ended up in A&E first time, then was given it again and had flu like symptoms, and the worst bit by far again the excruciating headache. Today I feel a little better, my eyesight has gone funny, like my glasses are not working properly and it was fine prior to taking the drug. Alarmingly these are on the side effect list !!”

Marleah January 28, 2020

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: “Took the antibiotic for 5 days for a UTI. First day it did cause a bit of nausea and dizziness but nothing too drastic. The rest of the days I had no side effects at all. Always took with a meal to prevent nausea or upset stomach.”