User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

4.2

Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 4.4 1,189 reviews

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Rose July 11, 2019

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have had this prescribed on three different occasions for UTI over past couple of years and each time I wound up with worse symptoms ( higher fever, chills, stomach pain and severe headache). I always assumed it was just not correct antibiotic for the bacteria, as results from culture had not been received. The last time I gave this a try, my fever increased and my white blood cells went sky high, as did my blood pressure and heart rate. I was hospitalized for three days to prevent sepsis. It took quite awhile to get heart rate and blood pressure to get back to normal. Obviously, this antibiotic doesn’t agree with me for some reason. I will have it listed as a med I am allergic to, as I’ve had these miserable symptoms each time I’ve tried it."

Skyla · Taken for less than 1 month July 11, 2019

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This medication gave me the most severe headache imaginable. It felt like someone had pounded stakes in my temples. I couldn't get off the floor to call for an ambulance. The pain was so bad I passed out. I had a slight headache the first day. The second day was unbearable. Beware!"

cat123 · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "By the time day 3 of taking this rolled around I became horribly nauseated, headache, stomach pains and cramps, dizziness, no energy, and then by day 5 add in fever and chills. I went back to my doctor who said immediately stop! Its been 2 days now since not taking and I still feel drained, headache, foggy, and dizzy. NO WAY will I ever take this again and would recommend others stay away!"

Anonymous July 9, 2019

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "First time taking it. Took it at 930 pm. By 10pm a migraine kicked it. Never has a medication gave me a headache like this or this quick. Hoping tomorrow is better."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 8, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have always been healthy but was given this drug for a UTI. 4 days later I ended up in the ER with severe stomach pain. They said I have elevated liver enzymes and to get them checked again that week. The next day these quadrupled when I got checked and everyone was so concerned they did a CT that found nothing. After two days of stopping treatment my levels dropped by half. I am going back today for another check and praying no permanent damage."

Anonymous July 7, 2019

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Macrobid worked for the UTI, but crazy side effects. Super vivid nightmares. And patient has mild bipolar. Psych symptoms were all over the place. Something she hadn’t experienced in a long time. Wouldn’t recommend it for anyone in psych meds."

TPRN · Taken for less than 1 month July 7, 2019

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "This medicine caused severe lung problems after taking 2 doses. I became septic and was hospitalized for 4 days. I am a nurse and have never been sick in my life. It did clear up my UTI but the respiratory complications nearly killed me! I wish they would pull this dangerous drug off the market."

Bd · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2019

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Their reviews really drove me away and I didn't want to take the pills since I hate taking medication. However I eventually decided I needed to take it. Symptoms cleared up after the second pill and I didn't have any side effects until day 3 when I woke up at night with some nausea. Went back to the doctor the next day and he prescribed be some zofran to take an hour before the macrobid. I did that and managed to get through all 7 days with only a little fatigue, some headaches, and some excess flatulence. Trick is to take it with food and lots of water and follow it up with a probiotic 2 hours after."

Melissagal · Taken for less than 1 month July 2, 2019

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was given macrobid for a terrible UTI, it worked like a charm for me. I'm sensitive to sulfa and quinolone antibiotics, macrobid was a god send for me."

TigerOne1 · Taken for less than 1 month July 1, 2019

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I read these reviews and was terrified to take this. I have anxiety; so even if I didn’t have the physical side effects, I was pretty sure I would have psychosomatic ones after reading all the negative experiences. I’m also scared of antibiotic resistance, and hate taking them to begin with. I procrastinated for a week because I didn’t want it to make me feel terrible. Also, my UTI wasn’t bad, I didn’t have many symptoms. But I knew it wasn’t going away, so down the hatch the Macrobid went. Well, I didn’t feel terrible. Absolutely no side effects. I know everybody is different, but if you have an Rx for this, don’t be afraid to try it because chances are you’ll be fine. It’ll do it’s job (which it is)."

mary July 1, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "My second day of taking this medicine and I feel horrible, short of breath, heavy breathing, pains all over my body, have a headache. I will stop it and call the doctor tomorrow. There has to be something that doesn't make me feel this ill, for UTI. I never had a bad reaction from any medication until now."

Clare · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I can't seem to focus at work this medicine also gave me an anxiety attack! I took this medicine 3 times in 8 to 9 months because the UTI never went away I was experiencing the same symptoms cloudy urine etc about 1 month later, thought it was me but I highly doubt "

Icky side effects · Taken for less than 1 month June 27, 2019

For Bladder Infection: "What I will say is that this medication did get rid of my UTI so I suppose it did what it was intended to do, and a whole lot more. On this one I’m just not sure the positive effects outweigh the negative when there are other treatment options with fewer side effects. The worst was the nausea and indigestion which still haven't gone away and I took my last dose yesterday morning. Fatigue and headache were also prominent and general malaise. My head still feels heavy and full and the back of my neck has been hurting for days to the point where I, like other reviewers on this blog, was looking up worrying about symptoms of meningitis. Overall I would rather take an alternative as this drug has been an overall negative experience with the exception of the fact that it did in fact treat the infection. The hair loss side effect is also scary...I haven’t noticed that thankfully. If I get another UTI I’m going to request another option to this drug."

Squiggly June 27, 2019

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This was hands down the absolute WORST experience I've come across with any medication. If you can get an alternative definately opt out this one. Felt like taking poison. After taking a pill for UTI hours later I began feeling off and dizzy. Huge anxiety spikes for no reason and trouble concentrating. My face and neck began to get puffy and felt all bruised over. My whole body then began to get sore inside and out. Felt like my body had gotten into a car crash at that point. Had to stop taking the medication and 24 hours later stomach is still doing backflips."

Jo · Taken for less than 1 month June 26, 2019

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Took it for 3 days had severe migraine, palpations, anxiety, numbness and tingling in both arms down into my fingers!"

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2019

For Bladder Infection: "I am allergic to many antibiotics and this is the one I'm always prescribed for UTIs which I get frequently. This WORKS and always stops the infection progressing which is the AIM of the medicine. So therefore, I am prepared to put up with a few days of headaches and feeling tired than have a UTI which could eventually go further up into my kidneys. Sometimes, we need to put up with some side effects. There are so many reviews on here which seem to miss this point. Medicines have side effects but if they are not severe and they do their job, then I don't see the problem."

Nick nack June 24, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Got my nitrofurantoin medicine on Friday, I had some weird dreams on Friday night. I've had a but of an upset stomach but it's really helped me. I'm not in pain anymore and I'm not peeing every two seconds."

cj · Taken for less than 1 month June 23, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took two tablets on first day all fine, following day I woke to feeling extremely ill, feeling sick then being sick violently for hours to the point of vomiting bile for several hours...was a warm day and I was wrapped up in bed with blankets and thick socks as I was shivering and freezing cold however I felt red hot. I couldn't get out of bed in 24 hours got up for one hour, and that was a struggle. Pounding headache where I resorted to taking something for it which I never take medication. I felt dizzy within 10 hours of taking last pill sickness subsided but felt so weak, and burning hot ...stopped taking this antibiotic never again going to the doctors to tell them not to give me this again it was AWFUL."

Cleodog · Taken for less than 1 month June 23, 2019

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Horrible side effects! Omgoodness.. Just 2 days on this and I had to give it up. I had to hold onto the walls when walking I was so dizzy, I also felt like I was gonna pass out, and vomit at the same time and felt hot like I had a fever. Never again. Dr then put me on cephalexin (keflex brand) and no side effects except a little tiredness. PS. D-mannose is amazing at preventing UTI's. Better than antibiotics. I had just stopped taking it. "

Daz · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Hi there I'm a 48 year old male and been on this terrible drug for four days now, after diagnosed with a UTI and the side effects from nitrofurantoin are horrendous. Bloating, strange pain in abdomen, nausea, coughing, unable to focus properly, lack of appetite, bloody diarrhea and the worst severe night sweats. I can't get out of bed let alone work and feel ill every single day. My advice is avoid this medication. I literally feel like I'm dying!"

Missed 3 Days of Work June 21, 2019

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was given the Macrobid medication for a UTI. I took the first dose with food before bed and woke up feeling ok. I took the 2nd dose that morning and headed into work. On my way into work driving I began to get dizzy, I thought I wouldn’t make it in. I arrived then I immediately left work- went home with a headache, nausea, diarrhea, dizziness, and body aches. I took another dose before bed to try and power through, then woke up the following morning unable to move, again with flu like symptoms. My doctor told me to stop taking the medicine. And I will NEVER take it again. I am currently a day and a half off the antibiotic and still experiencing nausea, diarrhea, aches, and exhaustion. It is getting much better as time goes on, but I feel as if I wasted time on a medicine that made me even more sick, when I should be UTI free by now. My stomach is still so sensitive from this so I cannot even go back on another antibiotic yet. Still have a UTI, missed 3 days of work, and feeling awful."

Anonymous June 21, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I’ve been nauseous, drowsy, and very anxious while on this medication. It’s been really difficult to get out of bed in the morning as all I want to do is sleep. All of a sudden I became very anxious with no other explanation, and it’s been extremely uncomfortable and counterproductive to feel this way while I’m at work. I’m on day 5 of the medication, and so far I haven’t felt any change with my UTI (although I still have 5 days remaining of treatment). I’m going to suck it up and continue treatment, but no one should feel this way while on medication; especially when you have to take it for 10 days."

ALK · Taken for less than 1 month June 20, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed nitrofurantoin at an Urgent Care for a UTI. The first pill made me slightly nauseous. After the second pill I started feeling extremely fatigued and woke up with a pounding headache. After the third pill I started having chills and a high fever along with extreme fatigue and body aches. I stopped taking it. 24 hrs after taking my last pill my temperature shot up to 104. It's been 2 days and I still feel awful. "

Sandy · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "First it was bactrim that caused tremendous joint pain in my left shoulder. They wanted me to finish it and I refused, so now, I’m on this nitrofurantoin antibiotic. I have a large itchy rash on my left shoulder, a headache, tired and dizzy and feel totally out of it. What happened to the other antibiotics we used to take that had minimal side effects? This is really bad."

Meg June 17, 2019

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Been taking this Medication for 3 days, my 4th day starts today and I have had such a horrible time with this medication. My anxiety has been the worst its been for a while and I have started having night terrors again:( The nausea has been horrific and I feel so unwell, there's this horrible taste in my mouth too. Not sure whether I should keep taking it or not, but please be careful anyone taking it as I'm sure these symptoms could be far worse for someone else."