User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 33 reviews 29 medications

6.8
Urinary Tract Infection 291 reviews 184 medications

4.9
Bladder Infection 160 reviews 81 medications

4.8
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 484 reviews 5.5

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I use to get bladder infections all the time but this time was BY FAR the worst I've ever experienced. I managed to get myself into a walk-in and they prescribed me macrobid. The first pill I took -- along with cranberry juice, made me feel 80% better. By the third day taking macrobid, I felt 100% better. Definitely take it with a meal though, I took it with something small because I was in a rush and I felt very weak and nauseous."

TanyaG August 24, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "The most important thing about having a UTI, is making sure a urine culture is done. Many don't realize that there are antibiotics that simply just won't work because the bacteria they have, are resistant to the antibiotic prescribed. Just because the antibiotic didn't work for you, doesn't mean it won't work for others. I've been prescribed Cipro and Bactrim for UTIs in the past, but after the ABT course my UTI kept coming back with a vengeance. Macrobid was the only antibiotic that was able to clear my Bladder/UTI infection. I've seen that sometimes it can make you feel worse before you feel better. Urine culture and sensitivity test is key for those suffering from recurrent infections."

LizzyBee805 (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Day two my kidney is not killing me .Able to go to the bathroom no burning feel so much better. 7 day supply Macrobid 100 mg one every 12 hours no side effects just a bad taste in my mouth"

Tumbles August 16, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was on this medication for about 5 days. I took 2 doses once a day. Remember to take this medication with A LOT of food. Do not, do not, do not take this on an empty stomach. When I took it on an empty stomach, I felt super weak. Thus far, my UTI symptoms have greatly disappeared. I'm not peeing every 15 minutes like I was before."

Anonymous August 15, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Was prescribed this antibiotic for a bladder infection at emergency care Dr. said there were few side effects when I asked -was hesitant to take it because im very sensitive to Antibiotics but was assured this was the best medicine for me with the least side effects Wrong! By day 2 I was totally lethargic feeling very irritable and running a low-grade fever on and off. Thought temp was from bladder infection. Finished 6 day course went to my doctor for a urine recheck & since my culture appeared clean was told I could stop day earlier. Two days off the medicine and I'm still feeling like crap extremely tired and lethargic with a low-grade fever or of 100.5 feel like I have a minor case of the flu but since reading other articles I believe it's from the antibiotic never again will I take this"

816Lucy August 14, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "So I went in on tuesday for a uti but no bacteria showed up so the doc prescribed the generic macrobid and the first pill I took was on Wednesday i ended up having a severe headache 30 minutes later and got a slight fever all day and took the 2nd pill. The next day I woke up feeling great and took the medicine again leaving me with a terrible headache again. So that night I did not want to take it what so ever. Then Friday came (today) and I went back in for a different medicine and my head didn't hurt really at all but I found out I still had a temp of 100.1. This pill has given me the worst with terrible headaches and a fever. Definitely doesnt work with me. Bdid slightly help whatever I have going on but not as quick as others"

Anonymous August 13, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Barely stopped symptoms then two days after ending RX came right back."

XOC (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Started this medicine on Monday after second dose started developed a cough. Second day Tuesday cough was worse and developed a headache. Prior to the 4th pill I was now getting a migraine went to bed and only was able to sleep 4 hrs. Third day I refuse to take anymore the symptoms of the UTI have cleared up almost instantly and I will not suffer a migraine for the remainder of the week."

SJG63 August 10, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed Macrobid the same day my UTI symptoms began, by my visit to the clinic it was already very painful. By the second day my uti was slightly better, the dizziness and nausea was intense but it didn't impede my ability to function. This continued until the fourth or fifth day when the headaches began, first they were manageable, but after dose 10 I wasn't able to function without getting sick (By then the UTI symptoms were almost completely gone). The side effects lasted until all the medication was taken and for a couple days after. That being said I've always been very sensitive to side effects from medications and everyone's body will react differently. Take with food and lots of water and the whole ordeal will be over soon."

romsten (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I got a pretty bad bladder infection and got prescribed this medicine. I didn't bother to check reviews, as my infection was so bad that all I wanted to do was be able to pee. I'm on day 3. Symptoms barely better. On top of that, I now have bad pain in my lower back, a swollen stomach that hurts really bad, gas, constipation, and worst of all, I can barely stay awake. I'm exhausted. I have zero energy and I've been bed ridden since the first dose. My joints hurt, my shoulders hurt, I am dizzy and nauseous. And I take the dose with a decent meal to prevent stomach upset but it doesn't work. Worst part is that I keep having bouts of diarrhea but nothing comes out. I don't know if the medicine is worse than the disease, but I'm miserable."

AlexisMR August 8, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "My 4 month old daughter was recently diagnosed with her 2nd urinary tract infection. With her 1st one the dr prescribed Sufrax oral suspension. We didn't have any issue with it and it cleared up the UTI quickly. This time she was prescribed Nitrofurantoin oral suspension. She is exclusively breastfed, but will take a bottle of breast milk if offered. The Nitrofurantoin is so sweet that she won't take it from a medicine syringe or hidden in a bottle of breast milk. Either way she spits it everywhere even if she's hungry. My question is why TH would they add so much sugar? First, kids don't need the extra sugar. 2nd, you can add flavored sugary syrup at the pharmacy for $1.88 if a kid won't take it otherwise. Way to go, idiots..."

WicketKitty (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed for a very painful UTI. After 3 days, I felt no relief. The 4th day, I began to feel better but very fatigued. The 5th day I developed a rash on my scalp. I thought it was shingles. I woke up the 6th day with extreme itching and discomfort. The rash had spread to my shoulders and eventually down my chest and to my waistline. I went to my doctor who took me off Macrobid, switched me to Cipro for another round of antibiotics and prescribed a shampoo and topical ointment for the rash. I wish I had changed antiobiotics that 4th day. This is miserable, red itchy welts everywhere, and low grade fever."

Laced (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Took the pills for 3 days and it made me so much sicker, fever, migraine, aches in my bones and complete exhaustion felt like I was dying. Called my doctor and now trying ciprin."

In milwaukee (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Honestly I was pretty scared taking this medicine after reading these reviews, but I took it and did not have one problem what so ever, also cleared my UTI right up ! Started off taking bacterium and had The WORST side effects, headache, dizziness, my body tingled, Super sick so they switched me to macrobid for 5 days and had no problems, ate with a healthy meal ever time I took it and drank lots of water throughout the day. Everyone is different, so I guess I found the one that works best for me!"

Anonymous August 5, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Honestly I was pretty scared taking this medicine after reading these reviews, but I took it and did not have one problem what so ever, also cleared my UTI right up ! Started off taking bacterium and had The WORST side effects, headache, dizziness, my body tingled, super bad headaches so they switched me to macrobid for 5 days and had no problems, ate with a healthy meal ever time I took it and drank lots of water throughout the day. Everyone is different, so I guess I found the one that works best for me!"

Anonymous August 5, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "The first few doses made me feel like I had been hit by a truck. Things improved and now I am in the third day and fine. Burning, urgency, leaking GONE so I will finish my 10 days of medication. I had Cipro for 7 days previously and after I finished-- in three days I had symptoms again."

Granmary July 31, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "My score is based on how well it's treating the infection itself - burning, back pain and urgency are gone 48 hours after starting this drug - first time user with a clearly defined bad infection based on urinalysis at the hospital -- don't need Azo any more, still downing cranberry and water, and tip: eat something even if your appetite is gone. Bad news, I'm exhausted, nauseous, dizzy and drained. I can live through the side effects, not so sure about the infection - very effective, strong, targeted, bacteria-killer and I will complete the entire protocol as directed - the temptation will be to stop taking it, I will resist the temptation. I will, however, bow to the temptation to sleep all day. takeaway - it's a trade-off."

Andy102102 July 30, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "Increased my anxiety, gave me upper back pains, terrible nausea, and chills. I do not recommend this if you are sensitive to medication! I took it just in case for a mild UTI and definitely should have stuck with homeopathic methods."

112 (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I went to the dr with a pain in my left side. I was told I had a uti and perscribed nitro duration mono/Mac 100 mg 2x per day. After taking this med I have had a constant headache, no appetite, I have stomach pains and I feel exhausted. I have no energy to do anything and with two boys that's not working well. I just called my dr to see if I could get on a different medication. The last time I had a uti the antibiotics I was on did not do this to me. I'm miserable! But glad to find this site. I was thinking I was developing a kidney infection. I'm thankful to know it's more likely a medication side effect."

Deb6801 July 29, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I've take this before with no side effects. This time the doctor recommended me to take it for 90 days, 100 milligrams once a day for recurring UTI. By the second dose I am in the bed feel like I have the flu, a virus at the same time and vision going. Not going to take anymore of this microbid. Wish I had only filled 30 days of meds instead of 90 day. Spent to much money on something I can't take. Take with caution."

S.A.V.A.N.N.A.H July 29, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Started four days ago with a UTI. Started taking Nitrofurantoin Mono/Mac 100 mg twice daily. Ive been taking it 9:00 am and 9:00 pm for two days. Today I woke up feeling absolutely horrible! Burning clammy skin, chills (without fever) bad pain in left side of lower back. Pretty much can't get out of bed! I've had UTI's before and can still function. These meds are risky. Went to Doc this morning, and he confirmed that it's most likely this med. Just wanted to put my review out here to help if someome might feel the same."

Backtodoc:( (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "by end of day one (2 doses) I felt very tired. Day two I woke up weak, fatigued, achey but was advised to stay on Macrobid as the UTI symptoms had improved. As day wore on (3 doses) I became increasingly tired, no energy, headache, sensation of heart racing, nausea. Another call to provider and they suggested I switch to Cipro. Before I could do that, an episode of nausea sent me to the bathroom. I passed out, hit my head and ended up hospitalized. I would be very afraid of this medication, considering the other options."

Weed93 July 27, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This drug is fine for me. It makes me feel foggy, tired and just out of sorts for a few hours but i can still function. The headaches are the worst part. I'm on day 4 so I'm sticking it out!"

knbarnes (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I started taking 100mg of macrobid twice a day on Wednesday evening. It is now Tuesday, I have two pills left. One for this morning and one for tonight. I can't wait to be off this medication. My uti symptoms were gone between day one and two but I was told to take all the medication even if it gets better. I take this medication at 8am and 8pm. From about 4pm-6pm I am extremely nauseous, it's horrible. Then I also wake up off and on from 4-6am because of nausea. I always take the pill with a meal so I don't know why I'm still experiencing the nausea. That's the only bad side effect I have experienced so far. Can't wait to be done with this medication!"

shreffy (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I took Macrobid 100mg twice a day for 7 days. I had no symptoms at all, except day 1 I had an upset tummy. But I can't for sure say that was caused by this antibiotic. I'm very sensitive to a lot of medications and I was really surprised Macrobid didn't give me any problems. I think a lot of people don't realize how crazy a UTI can actually get. You can get some pretty awful symptoms/side effects just from the UTI itself. Blurred vision, headaches and nausea are all side effects of a UTI, not just the antibiotic. I caught my UTI in time and had no symptoms from this antibiotic. There is a reason older people in their 70's and up go mental when they have a UTI. It's a serious condition."

alwayscoffee (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2016