User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection
7.2

Urinary Tract Infection

Bladder Infection
4.9

Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 5.7 725 reviews

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I took this medicine for only 3 days. It’s is the worse antibiotics I took my whole life. If I could say anything it would be: DONT EVER TRY IT. You will feel almost dead. After 24 hours without this I’m feeling much better, not 100% but 50%. Don’t take this drug! It’s a poison!"

Julia melo (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection: "I have had many bladder infections in my lifetime and twice was prescribed nitrofurantoin. Both times I took this medication I got a fever and was really lightheaded, had bad diarrhea, and was dehydrated severely probably because I had to force myself to eat and drink due to severe nausea on top of the diarrhea. My bladder infection symptoms didn't improve either. The first time I took this medication I just assumed the symptoms were from my bladder infection getting worse and not improving. Either way I ended up passing out at work and being taken by ambulance to the hospital for severe dehydration. The second time I took the medication(after I told my doctors it didn't work the first time and they convinced me to try it again) same."

Shedunn3 (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I cannot believe that it's even legal to sell this poison. Horrible side effects and not worth the risk, only took 3 pills and got extremely sick with body aches, headaches, intestinal problems, etc."

Abbey's Mom December 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I also have really bad nausea when taking these tablets, try drinking peppermint tea I found it helped a wonder!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I took 2 capsules on day 1 and by evening, time for dose 3, I had joint pain, a fever, chills and a headache. I thought I was getting the flu. Day 2 I was so weak I could not get out of bed nor eat. Took another capsule as I did not think a medication could cause this. By evening I was so sick I called my doc and he said to go to the ER. Thankfully I did. By the time I got there my Liver function was extremely impaired. Instead of being in the 9-35 range it was 667! After a day in the ER I was admitted to the hospital for 4 days. It took over 8 months for my Liver function to come down under 100. I don't drink or take either medications. The doc said this was a text book adverse reaction in the extreme."

Deenah (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Took one pill and it felt like a miracle. Was put on a dose of 1 tablet twice daily for 3 days. By the 5th tablet I was feeling flu like symptoms and dizziness. Not sure if I’m just feeling under the weather or it’s a side effect of taking this medication. Urine has also been bright yellow as many others have also stated. I would rather have this flu like symptom than feeling like I’m urinaring out razor blades. It definitely worked quickly and that worked for me."

Nomielou (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Can't even explain how bad this made me feel. SERIOUSLY thought I was dying. Chills...Sweating ...throwing up...I actually passed out on my bathroom bath. My chest pain was so bad I thought I was having a heart attack. No desire to eat...I've never had a problem with meds like this before in my life. Never again. I took it for 2 days and stopped. Be cautious."

Nikki hidey November 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Extreme drowsiness. Never felt quite this drowsy from taking a medication. I’m vomiting every hour or so, I feel so sick, I don’t even want to leave my bed. It seems to be working for my UTI however so that’s good. Maybe it’s meant to flush your system out which is why most people puke? Who knows."

Stirlingarcher November 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Had 3 doses of nitrofurantoin/MacroBID (100mg) now after being diagnosed with a UTI. Symptoms of UTI seem to have decreased a lot already. However, a few hours after taking my dose, even with/after a meal, I feel nauseous and exhausted. Plus I get stomach, leg and headaches. My concentration when these antibiotic symptoms hit is also terrible. The course is only 3 days (2 doses twice a day) thankfully, but I would definitely ask for a different antibiotic if I ever get a UTI again! My advice is to take time off work/school, because personally I would not be able to cope. Ginger biscuits/tea/etc. and plain food helps with the nausea. Keep drinking lots and take painkillers if you need. Doctor also recommended OTC cystitis symptom relievers:)"

loz76 November 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I feel extremely nauseous. Have not been able to keep anything down, every part of me aches and I have been in bed all day. Pretty sure I have been hallucinating at points today. However, my UTI seems to be on the mend. I would recommend using an antibiotic without these awful side effects. This is the first time I have ever written a review, I just feel others should be warned. Also, not that this matters...but my urine is bright yellow!"

lucy lucy November 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "First. Thank goodness I didn't read these reviews or I wouldn't have tried it. Interesting that the side effects everyone is describing are the same side effects I had on Ciprofloxicin. I was very worried taking this antibiotic because I lately don't do well. Also I have gotten hives from Bactrim so I got nervous taking any antibiotic. The difference this time I'm eating yogurt and taking a probiotic so I wonder if that made a difference. No pain at all in body no tiredness no dizziness. I don't even feel like I'm on a drug. I'm beginning to wonder if sometimes when we take these drugs it depends on our bodies at the time. When I got hives from Bactrim and told the doctor she said I had been on it before. Definitely eat yogurt and take probiotics."

Karenc03 November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Had a painful UTI, after about 24 hours on the Nitrofurantoin, the UTI wasn’t as intense. I am extremely sensitive to medications and haven’t had much of an issue so far. Mind you, I drink about 65-80 oz of water every day, maybe that helps. Have had a little headache and I am sort of fatigued, otherwise no issues."

Squid A'Line (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed this to be taken 4 times daily for 3 days. My UTI symptoms were gone by the first day. I have now finished the course and my UTI is gone. This medication worked great for the infection. I did not experience any serious side effects except some tiredness, 'spaced out' feeling, and on the 2nd day I did feel very 'down' not sure if that was because of the medication. However on the third day I feel fine."

charlie8x (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have been so ill for days I get sick a lot so I tried to brush it off but it’s to the point I was considering going to the hospital. I’m vomiting so bad it’s painful. I think about recently being prescribed this med and notice that oh it’s this damn pill that has me so violently ill. I’m still vomiting violently that’s not even right. Omg someone save me lol also tired achy skin blisters feel off like speedy light headed. Def no longer taking them"

Skullsnroses13 November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Within 24 hours I experienced muscle pain and spasms in my back and diarrhea. Within 48 hours I was experiencing respiratory issues (shortening of breath and a nasty cough) and the start of a yeast infection."

Becky70Lin November 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection: "Was given 100mg doses to take twice a day for 7 days. I’m only on my 3rd day taking these and I’m beyond miserable. I wake up every night with unrelenting nausea, fever and cold sweats. The morning after my second day taking these I was admitted to the ER for the symptoms and was prescribed Pepcid antacid for all the excess stomach acids and zofran for the nausea. The Pepcid helps a lot, but the symptoms persist, like I cannot get a good nights sleep due to the fever and cold sweats and initial nausea. The zofran tastes so bad when dissolving that I cannot take it. Alternatively, I found that vaping or smoking small amounts of cannabis (1-2 small dabs or bowls) has helped calm the nausea enough for me to try and tough it out."

On Mono/Mac Sick of being sick (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed this for a UTI. Took 1 dose (100 mg) in the morning as directed and within 4-6 hours was exhausted and lethargic. Later that night I was experiencing chills (woke up in a delirious fever like state), exhaustion, nausea (can't eat), severe joint pain everywhere (especially in my spine and knees), tightness in my lungs, I feel like crying because the the show must go on and I feel like I have the flu! I'm hoping by tomorrow (48 hours after 1 dose) I start to feel better. I've taken other antibiotics along with probiotics and never had a problem. This is an awful feeling!!! Seems like it works for others, but must not mix with my body chemistry, never again, would rather take penicillin and deal with getting hives again."

kaq04260731 (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Don't let people on this website scare you. I've taken lots of different antibiotics (amoxicillin, cipro, bactrim, etc) and I almost never have any issues. Same with Nitrofurantoin. I was on it for 7 days for a UTI. It worked. UTI gone. No side effects that I ever noticed (and I'm a total anxious hypochondriac, so I would have noticed). If you're sensitive to antibiotics, maybe it would help to eat a big meal before you take this (or any) antibiotic. I took mine sometimes with just eating one boiled egg on my way out the door and was always fine. You'll be fine. Really. It's not a big deal."

JP0725 November 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed this medication 6 days ago. I am 8 weeks pregnant and I went in to the ER for hydration due to severe morning sickness. They always do a urine specimen on pregnant women. Discovered I had a trace of bacteria so he said he would go ahead and treat it. I'm allergic to sulfa drugs and cephlasporins. Usually I take amoxicillin. I was good for the first few days but now my nausea is almost unbearable also committing more, I'm tired and my back hurts. Only 4 more pills to take. I figured my morning sickness just peaked but after reading these reviews I'm not so sure but I do have nausea meds so I'll be taking those."

Morgan14 (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Macrobid did nothing to eliminate my UTI. It was a failure just like amoxicillian. I was a bit nauseous at first but nothing that affected me. I took it for ten days."

Stephen20000 (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Under no circumstances use this if you have a lung complaint. Long term use can cause serious lung reactions"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection: "I can't remember why I was prescribed this medication. I do remember it was because I needed a strong antibiotic. This medication caused me to bleed internally and have horrible diarrhea and subsequent dehydration within the first two days I took it! I took it as directed and ensured I took it twice a day with meals. I went to see my doctor the day after the adverse side effects began, and he advised me to discontinue the medication immediately and to never take it again. At the time, May 2014, there wasn't much known about this medication - nor it's side effects."

Anonymous October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Just caused the worst side effect to my lungs after using this over a year. Where is the GP or specialist that must have warned me against these symptoms or kept me recorded in progress with this medication. Accordingly to my lung specialist this medicine is poison to the human body."

Elsa White October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: "Macrodantin was prescribed to me to prevent UTI . I only have to take one when needed. During one month I got four fever attacks with chills, headaches and muscle cramps. Very much like flu symptoms . It goes on for 2 days then I am fine again. Eventually I realised that it might be this medication since I took one on a Friday evening and the next day when I woke up I got this horrible symptoms again I read about the side effects and realised that this might be the cause."

Leeu October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Awful medication. I was only prescribed 6 tablets to take and if I'd read on here about them, I would have stopped after the first 1. Horrific headaches straight away, constantly nausea so much so I could barely eat to take my next tablet, drowsiness where I'm bumbling about my flat constantly, heat sweats, skin sensitivity. My neck is unbelievably sore making my headaches much worse."

Sian m October 4, 2017