User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Nitrofurantoin Rating Summary

5.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 384 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "This drug is fine for me. It makes me feel foggy, tired and just out of sorts for a few hours but i can still function. The headaches are the worst part. I'm on day 4 so I'm sticking it out!"

knbarnes (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I started taking 100mg of macrobid twice a day on Wednesday evening. It is now Tuesday, I have two pills left. One for this morning and one for tonight. I can't wait to be off this medication. My uti symptoms were gone between day one and two but I was told to take all the medication even if it gets better. I take this medication at 8am and 8pm. From about 4pm-6pm I am extremely nauseous, it's horrible. Then I also wake up off and on from 4-6am because of nausea. I always take the pill with a meal so I don't know why I'm still experiencing the nausea. That's the only bad side effect I have experienced so far. Can't wait to be done with this medication!"

shreffy (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I took Macrobid 100mg twice a day for 7 days. I had no symptoms at all, except day 1 I had an upset tummy. But I can't for sure say that was caused by this antibiotic. I'm very sensitive to a lot of medications and I was really surprised Macrobid didn't give me any problems. I think a lot of people don't realize how crazy a UTI can actually get. You can get some pretty awful symptoms/side effects just from the UTI itself. Blurred vision, headaches and nausea are all side effects of a UTI, not just the antibiotic. I caught my UTI in time and had no symptoms from this antibiotic. There is a reason older people in their 70's and up go mental when they have a UTI. It's a serious condition."

alwayscoffee (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Was prescribed this medication for my UTI. After taking my second pill, I started experiencing severe migraines and blurred vision. It was so bad that I couldn't drive. I stopped taking it yesterday and my vision is still not 100%. I recommend people try this for a day and observe your bodies reaction. Lots of people have a bad reaction to this medication (Ive NEVER had a reaction to medication in my life only this one). If your sensitive to certain medication I highly recommend you don't take this one."

MQM9999 July 22, 2016

"I've had a recurrent UTI for the past month and no other antibiotics had been working. Doctor prescribed this one 100 mg, twice a day every 12 hours, for five days. After my first dose, my urgency to urinate had subsided a lot. Nevertheless, by the second dose severe nausea, constipation, and fatigue began. I have been a zombie at work and just the thought of food makes me want to puke, even though I've been forcing myself to have at least three full meals a day (particularly when I take the medication). Have two more days to go, and I just wrote to my provider to see if I MUST finish it. The UTI symptoms are gone at this point yet the side effects are decreasing my quality of life by the minute."

MiseryInAPill July 21, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Have anxiety issues and think this medicine affected my anxiety...felt a bit lightheaded and nauseous and had a panic attack. Not sure if it the macrobid or pyridium. Symptoms of UT I better but not totally gone yet."

Mammadee (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I am currently on day 2 of macrobid, 2x daily for 5 days. Pharmacist was sure to emphasize to take macrobid with food to prevent nausea. So far, I have no nausea, but have developed a terrible headache. I must say, that pain of the UTI was gone within two hours of taking my first dose, which is worth it to me. So I'll be sticking this one out and hope the headache doesn't worsen."

Ali18 July 8, 2016

"I have Urge Incontinence and take quite a few urine infections. Nitro as I call it is brilliant, as it gets to the root of the problem within, taking the first few caps. The only sort of down thing is, it gives me chronic indigestion, but I'm sure we can all supply ourselves with an anti-acid. If it was not for Nitrofurantoin, day to day living would be pretty painful. Getting urinary infections, sometimes comes with holding in too much, but when you have Urge Incontinence, I find myself doing this all the time, it works, until I get to my commode, but to what cost--I hear you all say--, a lot. So Nitro is definitely the answer to my urine infections."

Lynda McEachran (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2016

"First pill caused a slight tingling and numbness in lips, tongue, fingers and toes. Second dose twelve hours later caused much worse numbness and tingling, pain in hands, along with a very bad headache. Called physician in AM and she advised me to stop medication immediately which I did. She advised me to wait 24 hrs before using new script, she will call in for another antibiotic. Numbness and tingling lasted 48 hrs. after stopping meds. Will not try again!"

DMDEMA July 3, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "When taking macrobid I felt slightly nauseous and had a headache for a few hours. My advice is to eat a light meal with it. I didn't hence I felt sick. After 5 days symptoms improved though. Glad I stuck through it the last 4-5 days :)"

Teppers (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2016

"I was prescribed this medication for my uti. I was asked to take it 2 times a day for 5 days. I took the first dose before I went to bed. I woke up at around 6 with chills. I went to use the bathroom and fainted. I was very dizzy the entire day. I couldn't walk without getting help. I couldn't sleep because of horrible lower abdominal pains I was having. I also had very bad chest pains. The next day I woke my body was in so much pain. I had sharp pains in my stomach the entire day. I stopped taking these pills and I would never recommend them to anyone."

Kas_Michelle July 2, 2016

"I used to get utis ALL THE TIME. Sulfate never work for me. Went to an old country doctor who prescribed me 100 50mg tablets. Told me to take one before and after sex. It has changed my world. Used to be that if my husband and I had sex and I didn't urinate immediately afterwards, you could BET I was getting one. Haven't had one in two years since staring this regiment."

Mommakate (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2016

"I was feeling generally unwell last week and visited my doctor who did urine dipstick test and told me there were 'white blood cells' found and prescribed Nitrofurantoin 50mg 4 times a day for 7 days. About two days after I started taking them I had extremely dry mouth, horrendous headache and felt generally unwell as though the parts of my body were disjointed. I also started to think very disturbed depressive thoughts and prone to tears. The headache became unbearable and there was no sign of improvement in my condition so after five days of suffering on tablets I stopped taking them and rang my GP who told me my urine sample had come back from lab and it showed no sign of infection!!!!!! All this for nothing!!!! I was so upset."

V179 (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2016

"This medication is horrible. Went urgent care, the doc gave this med to treat kidney infection. Right after first dose I got a migraine and terrible stomach pains. I stopped taking after three days. Now, two days later I feel worse than I did initially. I can't see my dr for five more days. I think I'll go to ER, because I have fever and my kidneys are on fire. I read somewhere that this med is not for kidney infection. Guess I'll find out soon."

Jk6511 June 19, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "3 months ago I was on Macrobid for a UTI. On the 5th day of taking it (last day), I had a hard time breathing during the night and I thought that I was catching a cold or something. It went away fairly quickly so I didn't associate it with this antibiotic until yesterday. I have another UTI and was prescribed Macrobid again. It worked great in taking away my UTI the first time, so I didn't think anything of it. Took the first dose yesterday morning with food and was fine. Took the 2nd dose before bed with food and that's when I realized I made a mistake. I was up ALL night because I was having a HARD time breathing. I felt like I couldn't catch my breath. When I got up this morning and saw the side effects. How scary!"

Weebs123 June 16, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "After reading the reviews for this antibiotic, I was terrified to even take it. I went to urgent care in Orlando because I had gotten a uti during my vacation in Disney World, so it wasn't even my own doctor prescribing me the medication. I was prescribed 100 mg to take 2 times a day for 7 days. The majority of people claimed to have horrible side effects, but I did not have any, besides small stomach cramps a couple hours after taking the pill. Do not let the reviews scare you. Everyone is different! My only complaint is that it worked so slowly. It took 6 days for all of my symptoms to completely clear up. Now I have to wait and see if the infection comes back."

MirandaPanda14 (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I wish I would have read these reviews before I started taking this medication! I feel soooo sick! I started to wonder if I have something really serious like cancer. I am so weak. One minute I am drenched in sweat and then I have chills so bad no amount of blankets will warm me. I can't get out of bed and I must go to work tomorrow. I am a teacher and I have parent/teacher conferences! I constantly have a fever of 101 or higher! Why would they prescribe this medication to any one. Too many people have the same terrible side effects!"

Ogarc3 (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2016

"Second time I have had this tablet nitrofantenoin side effects were nasty this time round down right horrible. After 2 days headache started quite bad, shaky, anxious, irritable dreadful nausea was sick once. Chills. After 4 days feel I have a dreadful illness fast heartbeat stopped taking tablets. Still feel anxious & crying and getting upset so easily. The headache has come back as the day has worn on. Maybe it's fading. I hope so? Will never take this tablet again. UTI gone."

Jenharri June 6, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I was put on this antibiotic to take after I had sex, it was my last hope I get a UTI every time me and my boyfriend have had sex and have 18 since January. Anyway I took this pill in hope it will be the only thing to work for me I'm only on my second dose so I cannot give an accurate answer but so far my ratings are not good after taking true first pill it worked however the next time I had sex with my boyfriend I took this antibiotic and felt the symptoms of a UTI coming back on, the side effects I experienced on this pill were also fast heart beat, drowsiness, waking up in the middle of the night neaseous and shortness in breath which is very scary when trying to sleep, good luck to anyone taking this antibiotic as I give up."

Elljade June 4, 2016

"50mg for 90 days. Every day I'm nauseated especially after taking the pill, often dry heave, and have even vomitted. Headaches and fatigue. However, my UTI cleared up and I have only experienced one flare up so far. I'd rather have my stomach wretch for a few hours over the pain and discomfort of a UTI."

Ashley Walker (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 3, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Wasted my money on this antibiotic. Made me feel so nauseated for several hours after taking it, & gave me diarrhea, but I tried it for four days, twice daily, hoping it might treat the UTI I had it prescribed for. No such luck Yet. Still having symptoms of burning, urgency and frequency; now I'll be going back to the clinic, to wait for hours and get a new script. Wait in line at the pharmacy, pay more money...Such a waste of precious time, money & sick leave."

Jobogru (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2016

"I was on Cipro, only 6 pills but after taking the last one I still had UTI symptoms. Was prescribed Nitrofurantoin, can't tell if it's working since I've only taken the first capsule, but the side effects are horrible! All day I had one of the worst headaches ever! Felt weak, fatigued and diahrea. Will call the Dr. today to find out what can I do."

Bubita (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2016

"I took 1 dose, I felt relief right away. That's great, cuz I felt awful!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I was prescribed Macrobid in a third world country by an urgent care doctor. So I'm not sure if or how it might differ from the US formulation. I experienced absolutely no negative side effects. Not even fatigue. However, the pain and discomfort from the UTI returns right around the time I need to take my next pill (2x daily for 7 days). After I take the pill, the pain goes away. But after finishing all of my prescribed Macrobid, I still have some discomfort so I feel as though it did not clear up the infection."

CH2016123 (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2016

"I was told I have a POSSIBLE UTI from my doctor which is very common during pregnancy. I had one with my first child. I started taking this antibiotics yesterday and I was extremely nauseous and fatigued. I am in my second trimester and was over my morning sickness. I eat a full meal and drank plenty of fluids with this antibiotic like your suppose to and I am just miserable..... with this being only a possible diagnosis I think I'm going to stop taking it. It's not even worth this feeling. BLAH!"

Pregger mommy (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016