User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Nitrofurantoin Rating Summary

4.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 383 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Never seen my daughter so ill. Called an ambulance tonight as since being prescribed these last week. She has vomited daily. Been in so much pain with no effect from these new tablets. The other nittrofurantion were small white tablets that work in one or two days. These cheap nasty drugs are in capsule form by MicroBID. With some other ingredient to make sure the penicillin works. They worked perfectly well. Another cheap nasty substitute to save money. Avoid like the plague and insist on your normal tiny white tablets. These are hideous and the side effects are savage. Will be filling in the yellow card. Discussed the harm and distress they have caused. Did nothing for the kidney infection. Scandalous"

Annoyed parent January 11, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "This antibiotic is the absolute worst antibiotics I have ever taken in my life. Not only did it not cure my infection it gave me horrific side effects. Within 3 to 4 hours of taking the tablets I was sick and had the worst headache of my life and I suffer from migraine and this didn't even compare. It felt like my skull was been squashed. After 48 hours of shaking, sickness, weakness and headaches I stopped taking the tablets and went back to doctors. What went from a mild kidney infection, I was nearly hospitalised. DO NOT TAKE THESE TABLETS! Unless you wanna feel like you wanna die."

Melissa.harrison2014 January 11, 2018

"Never having had any reaction to antibiotics before I took these and ended up being admitted to hospital with suspected meningitis: High fever, banging headache, rash ..... typical symptoms! I could hardly walk and I felt so ill. I had a lumbar puncture which came back clear (Thank God) so the Doctor's put it down to 'a virus'. However, some time later I got another infection and started a new course of Nitrofurantoin. Within a couple of days all the symptoms I'd previously experienced started again and the penny dropped! My reason for writing this review is not to scare anyone, and probably for most there wont be any side effects, but to raise awareness for those people who have an adverse reaction."

GDB1470 (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I was prescribed this medication for a UTI while preg. 100 MG 2x a day for 7 days. I started the first dose at night so I took it & went to sleep. I took each dose with food as advised. By the evening of the 2nd night I had a terrible headache & a stiff achy neck. Let me reiterate the headache... I read the reviews but I really feel like I should emphasize this headache. I was in bed all afternoon & Tylenol did not help. The next day was the same. The morning was fine but by the afternoon/evening I had neck pain & that TERRIBLE headache. Now after the 5th dose or so the headaches & neck pain eased off for me."

JennSC87 (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Yes it worked and got rid of my UTI, but side effects are just horrible and so frustrating as I have previously had other antibiotics for a UTI that had no side effects and worked perfectly fine. Headaches and stomach aches for the whole 7 days. I would definitely ask for an alternative."

KFAS January 8, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I took two 100 milligram capsules and felt like death. I was extremely exhausted, had a low grade fever and woke up in cold sweats. I must be highly allergic to this medication."

Mememe34678 January 8, 2018

"I do believe that it has cleared my UTI, but I can't finish the dosage. I have pushed through four days of it, but took the last one I am going to take last night, as I still haven't gotten rid of the severe headache that accompanied it, and the ear pain. I thought all of my problems of sickness were coming from the UTI, but found that although those symptoms seemed to clear up, each time I'd take a dose, I would progressively feel worse and worse. Not the right drug for me. Now just hoping I can get rid of this headache."

Momtoseven (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2018

"I felt improvement in my UTI after 1 pill, with most pain and discomfort gone after the 3rd pill, so I would say this works. I felt some flu-ish sensations after my first pill--nausea, headache, crappy feeling -- and also the second day. On my third I am not really noticing any side effects. I would rate the side effects as much less unpleasant that a UTI, so for me its a fine tradeoff. I am on a 5 day course and I imagine that will be plenty to get this UTI totally out of the way, based on how I feel on day 3."

jv6kit January 6, 2018

"AVOID!!! I've taken a few antibiotics on my time and never had any side effects. This drug on the other hand has been my worse nightmare, two days of taking it got chills/nausea/anxiety/headaches/ extreme giddiness (like being drunk)/stomach pain and numbness in legs and hands. It's pretty much just poison. I won't be taking it again as never felt so bad. The worst symptoms are the dizziness and numbness to limbs...nothing is worth that so I advise anyone to AVOID!!!"

EmmaD4567 (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2018

"After the 2nd dose, I developed a fever, chills, extreme joint and muscle aches, nausea, and diarrhea. Felt like I had a really bad case of the flu. I felt so tired and horrible I couldn’t function at work. The symptoms then started to subside as the doses wore off, which finally alerted me to the fact that I wasn’t really sick, but reacting to the medication. I took 3 pills in total, then after a horrible night in which I couldn’t even leave the bathroom, I went to my Dr and got a different prescription. It helped the UTI, but in my case I’d rather feel UTI symptoms than those extreme side effects."

Adversepanda (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2018

"I started taking this medicine January 2nd and it’s now January 4th and I’m absolutely over it. I’m prescribed to take it for a week but I just can’t deal with the side effects. My main issue is vomiting. I could be perfectly fine, then hours later, I’m throwing up. It’s given me a fever, chills, bad fatigue and of course, vomiting. It’s helped with the UTI tremendously. That’ll I will agree. But the other side effects are just too horrible. I honestly wouldn’t recommend taking this. Throwing up sucks."

ChristinaSatiago January 5, 2018

"My doctor prescribed this drug for me for a urinary tract infection. I only took it for one day and then requested a different antibiotic. I could not tolerate the severe nausea that this drug caused me. The nausea kicked in about 30 minutes after I took the first pill and it didn't go away until 48 hours after I stopped taking this antibiotic. Avoid this antibiotic!"

southerncanuck (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Used for: UTI with susceptible E Coli in urine culture Course: 100 mg 2x daily for 7 days. I saw the positive effect on the 3rd day, which is later than with other antibiotics. Always took it with food or milk. First 2 days, I had legit migraines. Also, had a mild fever after the very 1st dose. Then, the sleepiness and 'brain tension' (literally, some tension in the brain :) ) kicked in. Unfortunately, the symptoms came back 12 hrs after the last dose, but I don't blame it on the drug. So, it should work for less severe cases and the side effects are tolerable. Go for it."

Tarragon83 December 24, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I read one comment stating that symptoms while taking this med were due to the UTI itself. I can tell you from hard experience that this med has side effects, maybe not for all, but certainly for me. This has been my third and last bout with this med. I was encouraged to take it twice, and had the same symptoms - severe headache, body aches, chills, nausea and vomiting, and diarrhea. The second time, I reported this and was switched to Bactrim, which I have never had a problem with. This time, I went to a doc in the box and Macrobid was prescribed again because it was the only med not to interact with my other meds. Same problems occurred. I am just recovering after 2 days of hell. This is real."

Nurse Kell December 23, 2017

"This medicine made me so sick and I feel horrible. I have body aches, chills, fever, and a headache. Every once in a while I feel nauseous and sick to my stomach. When I first took the medicine my stomach hurts so bad.I took it for two days then I stopped taking it."

Felicia Dee December 22, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I was so scared to take this after reading the reviews but I had very little side effects, just a slight headache and a horrible taste in my mouth. I was given 100mg twice a day for 7 days. It seemed to work after a few days but now I’ve finished my course it has came back but just not as severe."

Rebeccaleannexoxo December 14, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I've read many comments on here which make it sound like this drug is quite scary, but after going through many of the symptoms BEFORE even taking the drug, I've come to the conclusion the symptoms many people speak of are actually the symptoms of the kidney/urinary tract infection itself. It is awful! I am extremely sensitive to the lowest dose drugs but I was given 100mg of the slow release form of this drug. I have had no bad side effects from the drug - maybe a bit of drowsiness but that could also be because I'm pregnant. As predicted, it made my pee a funny colour but that is what is meant to happen. I have one more pill to take, whether it's got rid of the UTI, I'm sure it has as my pee no longer smells horrendous."

Fayetography (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I took this medicine for only 3 days. It’s is the worse antibiotics I took my whole life. If I could say anything it would be: DONT EVER TRY IT. You will feel almost dead. After 24 hours without this I’m feeling much better, not 100% but 50%. Don’t take this drug! It’s a poison!"

Julia melo (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2017

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin): "Excelent for UTI. Especially for E. coli. I had problems with Escherichia coli and ciprofloxacin did not solve it in three consecutive treatments. With Macrodantin the bad smell of urine and fever gone at first dose!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I cannot believe that it's even legal to sell this poison. Horrible side effects and not worth the risk, only took 3 pills and got extremely sick with body aches, headaches, intestinal problems, etc."

Abbey's Mom December 6, 2017

"I also have really bad nausea when taking these tablets, try drinking peppermint tea I found it helped a wonder!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I took 2 capsules on day 1 and by evening, time for dose 3, I had joint pain, a fever, chills and a headache. I thought I was getting the flu. Day 2 I was so weak I could not get out of bed nor eat. Took another capsule as I did not think a medication could cause this. By evening I was so sick I called my doc and he said to go to the ER. Thankfully I did. By the time I got there my Liver function was extremely impaired. Instead of being in the 9-35 range it was 667! After a day in the ER I was admitted to the hospital for 4 days. It took over 8 months for my Liver function to come down under 100. I don't drink or take either medications. The doc said this was a text book adverse reaction in the extreme."

Deenah (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2017

"Took one pill and it felt like a miracle. Was put on a dose of 1 tablet twice daily for 3 days. By the 5th tablet I was feeling flu like symptoms and dizziness. Not sure if I’m just feeling under the weather or it’s a side effect of taking this medication. Urine has also been bright yellow as many others have also stated. I would rather have this flu like symptom than feeling like I’m urinaring out razor blades. It definitely worked quickly and that worked for me."

Nomielou (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Can't even explain how bad this made me feel. SERIOUSLY thought I was dying. Chills...Sweating ...throwing up...I actually passed out on my bathroom bath. My chest pain was so bad I thought I was having a heart attack. No desire to eat...I've never had a problem with meds like this before in my life. Never again. I took it for 2 days and stopped. Be cautious."

Nikki hidey November 29, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Extreme drowsiness. Never felt quite this drowsy from taking a medication. I’m vomiting every hour or so, I feel so sick, I don’t even want to leave my bed. It seems to be working for my UTI however so that’s good. Maybe it’s meant to flush your system out which is why most people puke? Who knows."

Stirlingarcher November 26, 2017