User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Nitrofurantoin Rating Summary

4.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 379 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "My doctor thought I had both a uti and yeast infection. 1 capsule was all I will take out of the 14 I got. I felt so nauseous and dizzy the rest of the day, I could only lie in bed, which caused me to miss my boyfriend's birthday. They also recommend to take it with food, which I did, so that wasn't the issue..."

Nope nope nope December 6, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "WARNING!!! I was hospitalized after taking just two days out of the 5 prescribed of macrobid (nitrofunatol). I went to urgent care for a UTI and after the 5th dose. I began to not be able to catch my breath and my body felt tingly and feet felt bruised. I stopped taking the medication and about a day later, I could barely breathe, my entire back seized up into the most excruciating pain I've ever felt in my entire life. I could not move my head without a migraine-like headache pulsating in my ears and top of my head. 5 days later I am still virtually bedridden, vomiting, no appetite, my body feels like a giant bruise and my skin tingles and hurts to touch even with clothing. Tread carefully around this stuff, it's not worth the pain AT ALL"

Shay M December 5, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "No side effects, 15 days after taking the 1 week supply plus the 1 week refill... and my infection has come again... this is a nightmare...steer clear"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Macrobid caused me to get really sick and did NOT clear up a urinary tract infection. I will not take this medicine again as it was not right for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I have never posted a review but, I wanted to let people know out there that you don't have to be afraid to take this if you need to. I am one of those who always Googles medicine reviews and I scared myself half to death with the horrible reviews on this antibiotic. So worried that I almost didn't take it. Well, I'm glad I did. It took away my UTI that was going into my kidneys and I had absolutely NO side effects. Yes, everyone is different and some people will have bad effects from it but, I am very sensitive to medications and I had no issues whatsoever. Always be sure to take it with food and just let it do it's job!"

Missxhausman November 27, 2016

"I have had this medication 3 times now and on taking the very first tablet after about 5 hours it felt like I had been hit by a truck. Really fast heart, aching all over, couldn't even walk to the loo had to crawl on all fours, terrible headache, really bad flu symptoms. It lasted 24 hour for the heart rate to go down but 3 days for the larthagicness to go. Will definately not be taking these again, never felt so ill"

Dotty45 November 25, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I am only 18 years old and had to take this for a Uti. This would be my 4th one this year and I haven't had any other problems with any of the other antiobiotics I've taken until this one. STAY CLEAR OF THIS!!! It is absolutely awful. I had to take it twice a day for 7 days and let me tell you this medication made me feel like RUBBISH for all of the seven days. I dreaded taking this and everytime I took it I would have a minor breakdown and would gag just even looking at it. Like why would I purposely want to consume something that practically poisoned me. For seven days straight I had SEVERE nausea and i felt like I was going to puke all day, along with that, I had the worst pounding headaches. I couldnt even get out of bed the first 3 days"

mmm12345678 November 24, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "okay,i never ever post on review boards, but with all these high level ratings for this drug i just had to speak out. this drug is poison, literal poison. im only on my second dosage and it feels like my body is shutting down. rite this moment i am vomiting every ten mins, my head hurts constantly, and my body is riddled with the chills and shakes. i have followed the dr directions to the tee, taking it with food and all of that and it still has made me feel miserable. yes it has healed my uti almost instantly but now the rest of my body is suffering and breaking down because of it. please seek other options before taking this medication, please, i beg you, this is a very strong, dangerous drug."

AshtonVG November 22, 2016

"I have Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus. I have a complicated internal body structure. I have been very very tired and after reading the side effects I do believe taking nitrofurantoin is the whole cause. Three days and I'm on my last day of taking the drug. I am a resident of England and was born here so I'm not insured. I am a NHS patient."

Mrs H Metcalfe November 17, 2016

"Update on last message - after the Nitrofurantoin confusion, was about to take 2nd dose late at night when my throat tightened and lungs seemed short on air. Also neck palpitations, so decided no way was I taking 2nd dose. In morning GP prescribed different tablet - Trimethoprim - and feeling fine taking it."

sam60 (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2016

"Okay so I've been having a UTI on and off for about a year. I did not read or know anything about this medication before taking it. I get migraines so I'm on metaprolol and this antibiotic did not trigger migraines or headaches. I was given an anti-nausea medication as I have been very nauseous (prior to antibiotics). I took this antibiotics without food and never experienced any negative or bad side effects. Ultimately would have been worth it but I still have burning with urination and so bad I cried so it was not worth it for me. Every UTI is different so I am saying that if the uti clears I recommend it even if there are side effects."

Ldf0123 November 15, 2016

"Had suspected UTI (AGAIN!) for past 2 weeks. GP prescribed Nitrofurantoin today. Took one 50 g pill with dinner and water this evening but hours later am still feeling awful. Have sense of being spaced out and confused. have been sitting quietly, no tv, for hours as this was quite scary. Couldn't concentrate on tv or book. Don't know if I should continue with this and take 2nd pill, or just get usual alternative tomorrow, can't remember name of it. Any advice would be grateful thanks."

sam60 (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2016

"Been taking this medication since last Mon,,,never ever felt so Ill in my whole life constant headache,,nausea,so lethargic,only two left to take,,I will never take these again,I have continued with them as Dr prescribed but yes uti has cleared,,,these tablets have severe side effects"

Ten pound note133 November 13, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I'm on my 4th pill of Macrobid...ok the reviews here will scare the crap out of you but let me give you a few tips. I made sure my dr prescribed me Zofran so when I took the first pill ( be sure to take it with FOOD) I took a Zofran . I did feel nauseous for about 30 mins and felt a little woozy but it didn't last long ...took the 2nd pill with FOOD and got a headache but nothing horrible and had no other side effects ... By the time I took the third pill I had no side effects but I still took pill with food and zofran . Don't let the reviews scare you . I feel so much better after 4 pills as far as my infection and the more the pills get in your system the less severe the side effects should be. Zofran and food and you'll be good to go"

C Slate (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Took 1 pill 50mg because I'm sensitive to medication. Within 2 hours, I itched everywhere. Took 25mg of Benadryl. Breathing is slightly labored as well. Dr reassured me I'd be okay. I'm limited to use of antibiotics due to severe allergic reactions. I feel nauseated and have a horrible headache. Was given this for kidney stones and high red blood cell count indicating unknown infection. I wish this would go away on its own ugh!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "So far so good. Im on my 2nd day. NO side effects..that I am aware of. I did sleep a little harder last night..lol. I just found this and read some of the other reviews, but I honestly haven't noticed anything real abnormal. This is my 1st time taking it. I am usually given bactrim for uti's because I am highly allergic to penicillin. I usually dont have fever or severe pain with a uti, but I think I have had one for a while now due to other uti symptoms. So i dont think bactrim has been working. I do not have a regular doctor (cant afford it), and I feel awful having to constantly go to the ER...only to end up STILL having a UTI. I just hope this finally gets rid of it. Im tired of spending $$ on antibiotics only for it to not work."

Tried&Tested November 3, 2016

"If I had seen this site before taking Nitro, I'd have chosen to avoid it.. However I'm glad I didn't. I get UTI's without fail every time I have sex, sometimes I just got them for the sake of getting them, or drinking too many fizzy drinks, it got to the point it was almost constant. I thought I was just cursed and that there was no escape and was debating urethral dilation with my Urologist. However, he recommend I try this before going any further. It has changed my life. I have no side effects and am free of UTIs as long as I take a pill post coitus, the hassle of doing so doesn't phase me as it is nice to be able to enjoy my life with no risk of UTIs. I recommend this to everyone who struggled like I did."

Catsky (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I was on holiday and prescribed these by the Dr at the walk in centre, after a week, I still have faint burning, still urinating frequently, cold/flu symptoms, headaches ( I rarely suffer with headaches) sharp pains in my stomach, and still feeling sick even after not taking them for 2 days. Back to my own Dr's tomorrow. This drug is horrid!!!!"

BethanyArcher October 30, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Ok gotta make a long story short.. My docter gave me bactrim for a uti and usually it works but this time it didnt. I was miserable so I went to urgent care they prescribed me macrobid 100 mg 2× daily. I read all the awful reviews and since my stomach is very sensitive and easily nausiated I immediatly was discouraged. I asked the pharmacist and she told me she had taken it and as long as you follow the instructions on the bottle that say take with food or milk I would be fine and she didnt have any symptoms. Soo I have been eating a good meal bf I take it and its been 3 days now and I woke up on the 3rd day and its like its gone and I could tell after the 1st day I was getting better. I was in pain for 6 day and this med was a blessing!!!"

Michelle8907 October 29, 2016

"I have been talking nitrofurantoin for 2 days and I have a severe stiff neck. Is this normal?"

Stiff neck and only taken for October 23, 2016

"I went to the doctor because of a slight UTI yesterday .... I took one dose of the medicine last night and felt nauseous and developed the worst migraine, I felt it all in my face and neck.. I took extra strength Tylenol and went to sleep. I woke up this morning perfectly fine and it was time for my 2nd dose.. in less than an hour I was soooo nauseous and weak and it feels like I have a lump in my throat. This feeling keeps coming and going. I called off from work because I'm afraid if I start moving too much then I might pass out or throw up. I normally never get side effects from medication but this one is different.. I don't recommend it at all"

Anonymous October 22, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I was diagnosed with a UTI and kidney infections. They started me on Macrobid two days ago and yes, death on a doornail set in. When your body utilizes this drug to flush your system, it doesn't just run to your bladder and ta da! Your body handles this infection with all it's defenses so you SHOULD expect to feel really icky for about a week. I am floored at today's rush in society to get everything done right now or right away. Every body needs time to heal and recover. Allow yourself the precious gift of rest and recuperating it needs and unless you begin to spike fever or experience allergic reaction, hang in there and know it's okay to take some time off to nurture you."

PoDunkJunction (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2016

"I have suffered from frequent bouts of acute cystitis which have had me sitting on the toilet for hours in the middle of the night in tears. The only thing which works to clear the infection is nitrofurantoin. i find it works quickly and have never experienced any side effects other than my urine going slightly more bright yellow. I am writing this because the other reviews are very negetive and could easily stop people taking this drug. if i had read them i would probably not have taken the medication. i do not doubt that some people suffer very bad side affects but that applies to all medication. i would like to say that i really depend on this drug to cure my cystitis which would otherwise make my life very miserable.try them."

yoyuti? (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2016

"I have taken this on 4 occasions over the last four years (50mg 4 times a day for 3 days) and was scared to take it on each occasion after reading some of the reviews form others. I also have a phobia of taking medicine which made me more anxious then most.I have always ended up taking it eventually because my symptoms worsened and would like to report I had zero side effects and felt better within days. I also think that some of the reported side effects others have mentioned maybe the actual infection itself as I have left my infections for up to 2 weeks without treatment and had the symptoms others have mentioned without me having taken the medicine."

JT1972 October 16, 2016

"After 4 days out of 7, twice a day, I quit taking it for two days and then resumed once a day. I had developed severe lethargy and dizziness and red splotches on my hands. Weakness disappeared within a day but then returned when I resumed. There must be an alternative out there."

Radtek October 16, 2016