User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Nitrofurantoin Rating Summary

5.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 381 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"I was prescribed this medication 6 days ago. I am 8 weeks pregnant and I went in to the ER for hydration due to severe morning sickness. They always do a urine specimen on pregnant women. Discovered I had a trace of bacteria so he said he would go ahead and treat it. I'm allergic to sulfa drugs and cephlasporins. Usually I take amoxicillin. I was good for the first few days but now my nausea is almost unbearable also committing more, I'm tired and my back hurts. Only 4 more pills to take. I figured my morning sickness just peaked but after reading these reviews I'm not so sure but I do have nausea meds so I'll be taking those."

Morgan14 (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Macrobid did nothing to eliminate my UTI. It was a failure just like amoxicillian. I was a bit nauseous at first but nothing that affected me. I took it for ten days."

Stephen20000 (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Awful medication. I was only prescribed 6 tablets to take and if I'd read on here about them, I would have stopped after the first 1. Horrific headaches straight away, constantly nausea so much so I could barely eat to take my next tablet, drowsiness where I'm bumbling about my flat constantly, heat sweats, skin sensitivity. My neck is unbelievably sore making my headaches much worse."

Sian m October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"49 year old female. I was not showing any signs of a UTI. My doctor tested my urine and "thought there maybe a possiblity of a UTI." Therefore, as a precaution I was prescribed 100 mg twice a day for 5 days. I was extremely tired, a bit dizzy at times, mild headache. Within 24 hrs. I had severe chills temp jumped up to 103, sweated out all night. Seem to be a bit better this morning, temp returned to normal 95.8. But still very tired and headache. I felt better prior as I had NO symptoms. Trying to stick it out for another 2 days. Sign."

Kathy8383 (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I was extremely hesitant about taking this drug because of all the negative reviews. This drug worked great for my UTI for a few weeks. No real side effects except a headache here and there. I would definitely take it after a meal. Even with all of the negative reviews, just remember that each person is different and everyone reacts differently to drugs. I was so afraid of trying this drug because of the horrible side effects, however I am so glad that I did! I would have rated it a 10, however I now have to take something stronger due to the type of bacteria that showed up in my urine that is hard to treat."

Maureen S. (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is a serious antibiotic. I have never had such adverse side-effects to a medication than I have with nitro. I had a UTI that kept coming back for about 5 month. Doc finally put me on Nitro after cipro and everything else didn't work. I am on day 9 of a 10 day dose and feel like I am dying. I can't get a good rest. My lungs feel congested but I can't cough up anything and my cough is dry. I get panicky and frustrated very easily. I have ZERO energy. My hair is thinning. I am freezing constantly. Overall I feel like I am getting over the flu. Unlike those who complain of diarrhea, I have severe constipation. I am only one day away from the end... I just need to tough it out one more day...."

Kevola September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I had a UTI not too long ago, and I was prescribed Macrobid. I did not have any crazy side effects. Unfortunately I get them frequently and just started a new round of Macrobid, and this time has been nothing but bad news. I am on day 5 of 7 and I have been extremely nauseous, dizzy, and tired along with sharp abdominal pain. The UTI isn't as severe anymore but I feel like it hasn't been as effective and that it's still lingering. I made sure to eat a decent meal before and drink plenty of water, I think that it's just not reacting well with my system. I am definitely stopping after today and going to the doctor to figure out a new solution."

Good then bad (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I have been to scared to use the bathroom all day. After one dose of Macrobid (3ish hours after) I already have relief! I seriously can't believe it's working this fast."

Xnotilh September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "So, Macrobid can certainly have some uncomfortable side effects. Most of these are preventable/treatable with headache pills, taking it with lots of food, and probiotics. If you are allergic, that is not the fault of the medicine, nor is it yours. That's just the way the cards were dealt. Macrobid, or nitrofurantoin, is very good for UTI treatment and the methods it does so makes bacteria unlikely to build resistance to it. Macrobid should be the first option before general antibiotics for this reason. Macrobid works very well and usually is taken twice daily (breakfast, dinner). For me, I had fatigue and headaches but they left after two days. After that, I felt fine for the remaining 8 days. And it worked!"

Kibbler (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This med is HORRIBLE!! I am a very happy well-rounded person. After taking this for two days I was a wreck! It gave me panic attacks, which I've never had before. It made me cry which I don't do often. It also gave me numb lips and crawly scalp. DON't take it! Take Over the counter Cystex or AVO products and drink lots of water. Rest and stay near the bathroom. You'll be fine without this."

Not Happy! (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Prescribed this after recurrent UTI. I am very prone to them and if you are too try to listen to your body and know your triggers. I know it sucks to not be able to drink soda, or having to jump up after sex to pee but it's well worth it in the long run. Macrobid like sulpha and cipro make me feel uneasy but there's no getting around that but I would rather feel a little uneasy then peeing what feels like fire and sitting on the toilet for hours crying thinking how unfair it is to be born with a short urethra. I'm shocked how many people would rather have a UTI than the uneasiness of an antibiotic. Not for me. Obviously my symptoms of painful urinating makes it so worth just a little tummy ache to feel better. Take with food. Take all reviews with a grain of salt."

Mlmlmlml August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I was prescribed this for a UTI and while it did help with that, it ended up giving me the worst yeast infection of my life that I am still treating 2 months later. I usually don't have too much of an issue with antibiotics but this was awful."

theoguiseppe (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I was prescribed Microbid for a UTI that I had for about 2 weeks. I took 2 pills so far 100mg each. I have stomach issues so I took mine with vanilla yogurt and had no nausea or vomiting. I highly suggest yogurt when taking antibiotics. It works like a charm. I have had no bad issues or side effects. I already feel better after 2 pills. Give the medication a chance it's working to kill bad bacteria which can make anyone feel yucky. Good luck!!!"

SpenceMJ1985 (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Alright, so in terms of this medication, it did its job. One thing I know after having UTI's here and there on occasion that antibiotics are downright AGGRESSIVE. Even with other antibiotics, I had experience similar side effects. But I'd say for those who are not big on side effects this is not the greatest. Everybodys bodies are different, but in my case I had some of the side affects posted: hard time sleeping, soreness, headaches, oddly colored diarrhea, you name it. In general nitrofuranctoin means business and really buckle up for the side affects, but it did the job for me and I saw improvement with my UTI in 2 days so far on my 4th day and no UTI!"

At least the uti is gone August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used this medication for 2 days and I had widespread pain all over my body. When asked to discontinue the med I hurt for 2 to 3 days. My experience was not a good one however I know it may work for others."

Jewelfire1242 August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I took 1 pill...4 hours later and I was vomiting like crazy. Ridiculous."

Stacy12345 August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"These things are all true, but it is also a very urinary specific drug that does the job when a lot of broad-spectrum antibiotics won't."

Wrider (taken for 10 years or more) August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed 3 days of trimethoprim for a UTI and they didn't touch it. I'm now on day 6 of a 7 day course of nitrafurantoin and I have had terrible diarrhea and stomach cramps. My wee has also turned a bright yellow which I'm concerned about since I thought it only turned dark yellow or brown on these tablets. Anyway, my UTI symptoms don't seem to have gotten any better."

kittykat_81 August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worse antibiotic I have ever taken. This is the first time I've ever take an antibiotic and felt worse than the infection."

Kimmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Been on 200 mg day for 3 of 4 weeks. Restarted after first 2. Have my doubts I am winning the battle on this one. Test does not show resistance built up but when it comes toward time for the next pill the soreness and all start kicking in. Of course I think there is a stone a hiding some where - we will see"

Walt99 August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have a history of kidney infections and a new doc saw me as an emergency and gave me 7 days worth of Nitro and 4 days later I still felt rough so the doctor gave me a longer dose....it's two days since and I hurt EVERYWHERE!! I feel like my whole body is shaking and I have had hallucinations and nights sweats - went to docs AGAIN just now and been prescribed a new antibiotic as he said that nitro has not worked and my fever is getting higher everyday!! Stupid pills "

Krystagirl (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine is horrid. I feel 10x's worse after just taking 2 doses of this. Do not take this med unless you are OK with severe stomach pains, nausea and just feeling terrible and not able to function through the day."

Anonymous August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Worst medicine ever!!! Went to the ER & was diagnosed with a UTI so this med was prescribed! I've been in bed now 2 days straight! The headaches & body aches are just ridiculous! Not to mention I don't have an appetite but I've been throwing up off & on! This medicine made me worse than I was in the beginning! This is my first & last time taking this that's for sure!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The day after I started taking this I started having major leakage and had no warning. I also had diarrhea but thought it was something I ate. I have been off of it for 5 days and still peeing while I sleep, while I walk. It's annoying. Plus I still have the UTI. Not a fan of this medication."

jillwalter1 August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Was prescribed Macrobid by my physician for UTI. On the third day of taking this medicine, my hands became numbed. It was so bad that when I was driving to work, my left hand slipped off the steering wheel. Talking about scared. I thought I was going to drive off the bridge. They need to do something about this medicine. Because the severe side effect that I received, this medication is dangerous. I'm still suffering from weakness from both hands. And it's very scary when I have to go somewhere. I never thought that I would get this bad reaction from this medication."

Ambitious August 1, 2017