User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Nitrofurantoin Rating Summary

5.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 381 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"Well so far I have taken 4 and still in pain when I pee I am also taking flucloxacillin 500mg so fingers crossed the 2 will work and I will be pain free. Oh I am also drinking lots of cranberry juice."

Marc40uk (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Didn't work"

Lisa12340987 April 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Before your freak out thinking that you're gonna have the worst experience ever on this drug, don't! Most people who have good experiences don't come to these sites and write reviews, it's always the bad ones! I have terrible health anxiety and I'm sensitive to lots of drugs. I also had C diff 3 months ago (cured by at home Fecal Microbiota Transplantation) so taking an antibiotic again was pretty scary for me. The side effects I got were a slight headache and nausea for a couple hours after each pill, some gas but no other digestive issues (thank goodness!!!). I was feeling better on the 4th day and have one more day to go. Take it with bread to make it easier on your stomach."

Anonymous April 12, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin): "I was experiencing back to back UTIs for 8-9 months. After trying some alternative approaches with my doctor, considering surgery, she decided to put me on a daily low dose antibiotic; Macrodantin. It has been over three plus months and it works. I honestly am not comfortable taking a daily antiobiotic but I am far more uncomfortable having a UTI. No side effects for me."

Hbsue April 5, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Very good experience with some minor side effects.....minor and worth having rather than being in the hospital with a kidney infection! I read some of the reviews on here. I have health anxiety and a bit of hypochondria and I am afraid to take medications. I was hesitant to take this one as well after reading the reviews. Only side effects I felt was some mild diarrhea, headache, some muscle aches, fatigue, mild pelvic and side pain and chills (which could have been from the UTI rather than a side effect of the medication). Please take the bad reviews with a grain of salt. Everyone responds differently to medications and my experience was good with this. Don't take UTI's lightly as they can lead into more serious problems."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking these tablets for 2 days now & I'm amazed how quickly my symptoms cleared up . 1st 2 tablets in the morning & 2 at night I was able to go to the toilet with no pain at all . I've had another 4 tablets today & finish my course tomorrow all with no side affects at all :-) I'm just very relieved to be able to pee again without the horrid pain ! If i happen to get another UTI then I will definitely take this medication it works wonders :-)"

LoubLou :-) (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've taken antibiotics many times before in my life, but with nitrofurantoin I experienced really bad headaches after day one. Quit taking them for 48 hrs, headache cleared rapidly, then recommenced course..same again..very bad headaches, energy loss, feeling very weak and nauseous.. have ceased now and feel better again. Now I just have to clear up my UTI ! Yes reaction to antibiotic far worse than UTI. Be wary of this one, though everyone's different."

Mazza55 March 22, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Tested positive for UTI and was put on nitrofurantoin, 100mg 2x per day for 7 days. No problems the first day, evening of second day I started with a frequent dry cough (not quite hacking, but close). Only able to sleep 1-2 hours per night and coughing got worse each day. Called clinic on 5th day and changed to Bactrim for 3 days. No burning, some pressure and frequent urge to urinate. Going to doctor for regular checkup today and will discuss this, but will not take this medicine again."

Junebugsy March 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed 100mg 2x daily for 7 days. I noticed my bowels were unusual (more watery). Also, headaches were common as well. Not terrible, but annoying. My UTI did in fact go away. I recently have been having reoccurring UTI's with not being treated. This was my first treatment for my UTI. I'm hoping they no longer continue to frequently occur. So overall, it gets the job done with very manageable side effects!"

Hopper90 (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was a bit scared to take this due to a bad experience years ago but the doctor said its the only anti biotic that will get rid of my current bacteria. First hour I took it, I was nauseous but I kept myself distracted and it's been a few hours and the nauseous has gone. The best thing is to drink a lot of water and eat well even if u don't have the appetite. It's only been a few hours so my symptoms are still there but I'm feeling quite positive that I'll be back to normal in the next couple days due to how strong this anti biotic is"

Miimii88 March 10, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Never taking this again. Day 2 of taking this antibiotic for UTI and I have never felt so ill. Constant feeling of vomiting, bloating and loss of appetite. I rather have UTI than these symptoms. Horrible!"

Kaye8181 March 5, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "My dr wanted to give me Cipro or Bactrim but since I have a pill complex, I asked for something smaller. He prescribed Macrobid and I came to this site to apparently scare myself before taking it. Well I'm here to tell you that this antibiotic was GREAT! As someone who has colitis and constant headaches, both triggered by virtually anything, neither were affected by this drug. I experienced zero side effects. I took 100mg twice a day for 5 days. I would take 1 capsule right after breakfast and 1 capsule right after dinner so it was always accompanying a meal. 5 days later, urine culture came back negative. This worked great for me! I didn't start feeling pain relief til day 4 though. Hang in there and take with meals."

keleliwei22 (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been taking nitrofurantoin for a little less than 24hrs and already I feel anxious nauseous and heavy depression. But to be fair I haven't been taking them with food in me considering I have a loss of appetite due to my UTI. This is my second UTI and I don't remember me having severe side effects like the one's I'm experiencing with this pill. I'm gonna give it another day and if my symptoms don't get better then I'll be calling in for another prescription."

Rgonzales1421 March 3, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed Genfura (Nitrofurantoin) after a previous antibiotic was ineffective in curing a UTI. UTI symptoms were completely gone within 3 days, but I had major side effects within hours of taking the first pill. Side effects: Worst flu like symptoms of my life and I nearly went to A&E I was so sick. I had a high fever for 2 days, chills, shallow laboured breathing, no appetite, nausea, constipation, extreme weakness, severe headache and I couldn't leave my bed for 2 days. Strangely the side effects went away as soon as they came on, and 4 days into the medication I feel fine."

UK Genfura (Nitrofurantoin) February 28, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took it for frequency and burning and hesitancy that I had. I couldn't even walk. But 30 minute after taking it all my symptoms where gone Now today (3 day after first dosage) I have a terrible headache and I'm hungry, I am nauseated but not always. I'm just thinking about those poor animals that they test this drug on them. I also experience cramps and watery diarrhea first day after taking this drug"

Sadafsasa February 28, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I started Macrobid yesterday and I felt okay but today I've had the most horrible painful stomach cramps and the weirdest constipated diarrhea I have ever had. I am constantly feeling like I need to throw up and the bowel movements and pain are what prompted me to do some Internet digging. I have taken four of 100mg pills in two days and I refuse to take another. At work today I nearly tripped several times and I was disoriented, felt sick, and had difficulty walking straight. There are other meds out there and while I know that everyone reacts differently to medication, I seriously would not wish this stomach/abdominal pain on anyone; it is incessant and keeping me from sleeping. I pray for alleviation tomorrow but fear it may take a few days."

Napoleangirl80 (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Please don't be scared to take this medication. I read the reviews and was horrified, but honestly the drug was very tolerable. I went through 2 other medications for UTI before I was prescribed this one. First it was Bactrim, which a few hours after taking 3rd dose I got hives. Second was Ciprofloxacin Hcl 500mg and I ended up with tendinitis in both legs. Thirdly is Macrobid 100mg 2x a day for 7 days. My advice is to take it with a full meal. Only side effects I get is slight drowsiness, and nausea close to the 12 hours mark of my next dose. Eat large meals before taking Macrobid and then snack throughout the day and drink lots of fluids. You'll be ok."

Lily2006 (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2017

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I've taken macrobid for 15 years for recurrent UTIs. I get UTIs about 4-6 times a year (ugh) so I've taken it a ton of times. Macrobid gets rid of my infections every single time without fail. The only side effect I have ever noticed, which is pretty annoying, is nausea for about 2 hours after taking each pill. Once in a blue moon I puke, but not usually. Eating and drinking with the pill lessens the nausea but doesn't totally prevent it. So, it does its job really well and eliminates my infections, but I do cringe when I have to take it because it sucks to endure the nausea."

ShesGotSauce February 24, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My first day of being prescribed with the medicine I thought everything will be ok. I took my first pill at 6 p.m at night when I finally got home from work, everything seemed fine. However, at 4:30 a.m I started getting serious abdominal pain and couldn't go to sleep. I started throwing up and had diarrhea, my body was so weak that I started crawling on the floor. This have to be the worst pain ever and I refuse to take it again!"

Shay.. (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "After 10 days on Cipro my UTI did not clear up. Pressure, frequent urination and passing gas through my vagina (yes..Frontal farting...Anyone else have this?). I'm on my 5 th day of Macrobid and have not had any unpleasant side effects...Just some loose BM and gas."

Nelly R February 17, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I went to the ER and they determined I didn't exactly have a UTI but it was a possibility so they started me on Macrobid. I had never taken it before. Within two days I was hysterical. I had such intense migraines that I fell multiple times and couldn't see straight. My stomach was a mess, I couldn't go to the bathroom, I wanted to sleep but I couldn't fall asleep because my head was pounding too hard. I called my PCP who checked the ER records and told me I had never had a UTI to begin with and to stop the Macrobid ASAP. Once I stopped it the migraines went away, I stopped falling, my gastrointestinal system has now days later, returned to normal."

KTSM February 17, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Horrible horrible horrible. I was prescribed this as I interact with most antibiotics. It got rid of my UTI but I was sick, had a 38 degree temperature, major shakes. I still feel lethargic and sick so for me the cons outweigh the pros. I did finish complete the course as it was only for three days- had it been a seven day course I would have stopped taking them."

purple vicky (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I woke up a week or more ago and found myself having to pee frequently. I thought "Oh that's weird." Then it began to smell funky and I decided to go get a urinalysis done. It came back negative, but the doctor gave me some Bactrim anyway. Halfway through my treatment with Bactrim, I had an allergic reaction and called it in. They gave me Macrobid instead, and gosh is it expensive. I took it for a few days for a total of 5 days on antibiotics and my symptoms were gone, but something new was happening. I always felt fatigued and nauseated, especially when I woke up, and when I tried to eat, I felt like my appetite had left me completely. My stools had turned to diarrhea and my stomach always felt uneasy. The doc took me off them."

Ixie February 13, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My experience was HORRIBLE. I was prescribed this medication for a UTI. 30 minutes after taking the first dose, my mood changed for the worst. I became extremely irritable and suddenly super hungry. My appetite eventually went away completely, but my irritability did not. I went into a psychotic rage at one point when my mom was yelling for no reason(like always, typical mom) and was provoking me, and hadn't seen my texts of me telling her I was having a bad reaction so she didn't know. Then before bed, I felt like I was deathly ill, my body was aching, major headache, chills, racing heart. I have anxiety so this medication caused my heart to race even more. I then began crying uncontrollably and felt overwhelmingly sad. Never taking again!"

Luna828 (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I began to take Macrobid (Nitrofurantoin mono) 100mg caplets on last Thursday for a UTI. Within 24 hours I had severe muscle aching, headache, and fatigue. Within 2 days I had even more severe body aches, joint pain, extreme fatigue and sleepiness, dizziness and difficulty walking as well as a fever of 101-102 degrees. I went in to a walk in clinic but symptoms progressed and by Sunday I was in the ER thinking I was in septic shock. I assumed my infection had spread, I had no idea it could be a reaction to the antibiotic. After a barrage of tests including a CT scan, the only possibility is that this poison was wrecking my health. This medication caused me a huge amount of problems. I stopped taking it yesterday and still have a headache, dizziness, muscle aches and low fever. I can only hope the damage caused by Macrobid is not permanent."

Mom in NM (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2017