User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Nitrofurantoin Rating Summary

5.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 381 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Been on 200 mg day for 3 of 4 weeks. Restarted after first 2. Have my doubts I am winning the battle on this one. Test does not show resistance built up but when it comes toward time for the next pill the soreness and all start kicking in. Of course I think there is a stone a hiding some where - we will see"

Walt99 August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have a history of kidney infections and a new doc saw me as an emergency and gave me 7 days worth of Nitro and 4 days later I still felt rough so the doctor gave me a longer dose....it's two days since and I hurt EVERYWHERE!! I feel like my whole body is shaking and I have had hallucinations and nights sweats - went to docs AGAIN just now and been prescribed a new antibiotic as he said that nitro has not worked and my fever is getting higher everyday!! Stupid pills "

Krystagirl (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine is horrid. I feel 10x's worse after just taking 2 doses of this. Do not take this med unless you are OK with severe stomach pains, nausea and just feeling terrible and not able to function through the day."

Anonymous August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Worst medicine ever!!! Went to the ER & was diagnosed with a UTI so this med was prescribed! I've been in bed now 2 days straight! The headaches & body aches are just ridiculous! Not to mention I don't have an appetite but I've been throwing up off & on! This medicine made me worse than I was in the beginning! This is my first & last time taking this that's for sure!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The day after I started taking this I started having major leakage and had no warning. I also had diarrhea but thought it was something I ate. I have been off of it for 5 days and still peeing while I sleep, while I walk. It's annoying. Plus I still have the UTI. Not a fan of this medication."

jillwalter1 August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Was prescribed Macrobid by my physician for UTI. On the third day of taking this medicine, my hands became numbed. It was so bad that when I was driving to work, my left hand slipped off the steering wheel. Talking about scared. I thought I was going to drive off the bridge. They need to do something about this medicine. Because the severe side effect that I received, this medication is dangerous. I'm still suffering from weakness from both hands. And it's very scary when I have to go somewhere. I never thought that I would get this bad reaction from this medication."

Ambitious August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I've had UTI's before that have been treated with Cipro with no side effects. This last infection was pretty bad and the physician I saw prescribed Macrodantin, which I had never used. The first dose gave me a severe headache and then second dose put me almost under. The leg cramps were so severe my husband wanted to take me to the Emergency room. They were so painful and came so often until I was scared. I had to call in sick from work because they kept coming and I threw up and was very fatigued. I drank tonic water and orange juice which helped the cramps so I'm calling my physician for Cipro first thing in the morning and I'll list this medication as an allergy from now on. The side effects were horrible and outweighed the benefits."

Sassy m77 (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with a UTI about 2 weeks ago and was put on this medicine for 7 days. The burning and urgency symptoms went away, but I still feel "uncomfortable". I called my doctor and she refilled my prescription, so after another 7 days if I'm not better, I will go back in to see what's going on. I take the pill once in the morning and once at night (with food). Symptoms: I've taken this medication before and maybe it's just me, but I feel like my mood changes when I'm on it. I feel super emotional and just get super upset and even feel angry at times. So ready to be off of it in a few days..."

ava5710 (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well like so many others I have to say I had extreme nausea for 3 days while taking this followed by a day of vomiting. I called my GP who told me to stop it immediately. I have never had a reaction to antibiotics before. On the other hand after taking just 3 doses on the first day the burning pain and need to urinate was gone! I also too 400mg ibruprofen for the flank pain. So yes it did work very fast at targeting my UTI symptoms which was great, but it left my lethargic, feeling terribly sick and throwing up after 3 days of doses. Worth trying if you are experiencing a severe UTI, but not as a first try!"

KatieDenwood July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I get a couple UTI's a year. I always take Macrobid. If I take 10-20 billion probiotics 2 hours after taking the Macrobid, I'm fine. No yeast infections or nausea. You must replenish your flora after each pill. It is a must! When I didn't, I used to have all the bad symptoms you read about. Even after my course is done I continue to take the probiotics for another week or more."

Linhar July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. I had a great experience with Macrobid. I am actually allergic to a few meds so I was relieved to have one for a mean UTI I got over the last few days. I actually started taking it Macrobid, 100MG twice daily for 7 days, BEFORE coming to this site to read the reviews. Firstly, it says to take it with food or milk, so many probably didn't follow those directions b/c it will give you nausea/vomiting if you don't. The only side effect I've had is drowsiness. But my doctor also prescribed me with metronidazole 500mg, taken twice daily WITH the Macrobid to offset symptoms that can bring on a yeast infection etc. I only get UTIs once or twice a year, but this one reared it's ugly head and Macrobid worked wonders for me."

K Monique (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Was diagnosed with a kidney infection last Friday and was prescribed MacroBID by the doctor...100mg four times a day. I have to say the side effects aren't great... I had vomiting on the Saturday evening and banging headaches the entire time I was taking them, however these eased with paracetamol and the main thing is the kidney infection felt a lot, lot better after 2 days. It's not the perfect drug but it's not horrendous."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Prescribed to me for a stubborn UTI, after Bactrim didn't seem to work. Took once a day for 10 days. Had no negative side effects, but didn't clear up my UTI either."

OneWithFrequentUTI's (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I am 66 yr. old and get a lot of UTI's after going on the bike, in the pool, and apparatus at the gym that causes friction in that area. I usually get ciproflaxcin, which doesn't affect me much. But, Macrobid, causes, stomach troubles, nausea, chest and lung problems, chills, fevers, dizziness, palpitations, headaches, and more. I didn't have time to say " no" to the walk in doc. who gave me this again, but, I will never, ever, use it again. I know it going to take another week, to get " semi- normal" again, but, this med takes me down every time."

EllyMay77 (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Before I started my antibiotic course of nitro, I read all the reviews online about it and was terrified to take it! But after being on Bactrim and cipro and neither clearing up my infection I was equally scared my infection would never go away so I took nitro anyway and was expecting to have terrible side effects. However after just 2 pills I noticed my infection was FINALLY going away. I am so happy. The only side effects I have is muscle aches. Just remember side effects are temporary guys. I am grateful for this antibiotic so far."

Pizzaturtles (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I was given this medicine for the 2nd time yesterday. I have had it before no issues but this time not the case. I took my first dose at night and this morning my feet and hands are burning and itchy. I keep rubbing the bottom of my feet under my desk to see if it will stop. I am dizzy, headache and my pain is actually worse. I get UTIs all the time and usually use other meds but the CVS Minute clinic gives this one for some reason. I will NOT be taking anymore and will be going back to get a different medicine."

ChyHoney July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I took Macrobid a few months ago for my UTI. Worked great. No side effects. This time after getting a UTI again, I was prescribed Macrobid again but this time I'm getting all the side effects. Fever, chill, body aches, fatigue, nauseated.. etc etc. I will probably stop using it now. My UTI does feel a bit better though."

Mwwong (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"MOST people who write reviews here are those who have had negative experiences, which can all scare you away from taking a medication, so I decided to write a positive one for a change. I'd had symptoms of a UTI/bladder infection for several weeks and all my urine tests came up negative for UTI but my MD decided to put me on this anyway based on my symptoms. I'd never taken it before & I'm VERY leery of taking new meds, but I didn't have any real problems with it. I had some mild wooziness and headache the first day and that was it, no other side effects. However I'm only giving it an 8/10 because it doesn't feel like it completely got rid of my symptoms. "

AntKristi July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "This is the third antibiotic in 2 weeks used for a UTI. Yes the drug has been effective in healing the infection. However. It would not be my 1st choice. I've had muscle pain in my legs and feet Exhaustion. Insomnia.grotesque nightmares. Weakness unsteadiness walking. Nausea dry mouth with a taste of metal in my mouth.."

H Rose (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Macrobid immediately helps get rid of my UTIs and I am prone to very bad ones because of some preexisting conditions. Once on a trip I happened to luckily have a spare one floating around in my toiletries that I took when I realized that I had developed a UTI and, in spite of not having a full regime, it still got rid of it. HOWEVER, I do have an EXTREME reaction to Macrobid. It gives me the most EXCRUCIATING body pains a couple hours after taking it. The best way that I can describe it is like acid in my veins or my nerves spasming nonstop. I vomit, cry, and can't even stand, bend, or roll over in bed without exacerbating the pain, making me nonfunctional. After about 2 hours it goes away but it is awful until then."

MorganHeidi June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The leg aches were the worse I have ever had and even went into my hips! I can't even sleep they are so bad!"

D bent (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Realised I had a UTI after waking up with the symptoms I'm sure you all know...so decided to book an appointment as soon as possible. First dose I had a bad headache and nausea but nothing unbearable and by the second dose my symptoms were starting to disappear less than 24 hours after starting the medication. Nausea is still there about 2 hours after I take a pill but I'm nearing the end of my course. I understand that some people have bad reactions but in my experience this medication was great at relieving symptoms quickly and hopefully my UTI will be no more in a couple days."

Am3li3 June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Back on this stuff again. Have had repeated UTI's for nearly 6 months now. All the 5 different types I've had have cleared the infection. But the longest off any without recurrence is 14 days. Normally between 2 to 5 days and it's back. Anyway had this stuff before, it's easing it but slowly. But OMG I feel bad. Aches, chills (can live with them as it's over 30 centigrade at mo), nausea and I've only just taken the 5th tablet, 2nd morning of a weeks course. One day I'll be cured permanently, ultrasound revealed nothing but hopefully, one day and not too far away....At least this one hasn't bought back my childhood asthma like one other type. Thankfully living in the UK cost is minimal."

Liamf12 June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffer from UTI'S alot! really severe. The doctors give this tablet only when the infection is really high as its a hardcore one hence why they make you feel a little sleepy. Just make sure you eat with each dose as if you don't it can cause sickness and tummy upsets (not nice) but if you eat and do it right you will be fine and that horrible burning sensation will fade. Complete your full course even if symptoms have stopped."

Jborb (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After reading so many horror stories I was terrified to take this. But my UTI was unbearable so I decided there was no other option. I have taken it with food and a few hours later I pop a few good probiotics. I am on day 4 and still have not experienced any of the awful symptoms described here. I did notice a headache the first day and slight nausea but that went away once I ate. My UTI symptoms diminished after 24 hours and I am one happy camper! Lesson learned - the internet causes anxiety! lol"

cristina_weena (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2017