User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Nitrofurantoin Rating Summary

4.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 383 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "The most important thing about having a UTI, is making sure a urine culture is done. Many don't realize that there are antibiotics that simply just won't work because the bacteria they have, are resistant to the antibiotic prescribed. Just because the antibiotic didn't work for you, doesn't mean it won't work for others. I've been prescribed Cipro and Bactrim for UTIs in the past, but after the ABT course my UTI kept coming back with a vengeance. Macrobid was the only antibiotic that was able to clear my Bladder/UTI infection. I've seen that sometimes it can make you feel worse before you feel better. Urine culture and sensitivity test is key for those suffering from recurrent infections."

LizzyBee805 (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I was on this medication for about 5 days. I took 2 doses once a day. Remember to take this medication with A LOT of food. Do not, do not, do not take this on an empty stomach. When I took it on an empty stomach, I felt super weak. Thus far, my UTI symptoms have greatly disappeared. I'm not peeing every 15 minutes like I was before."

Anonymous August 15, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "So I went in on tuesday for a uti but no bacteria showed up so the doc prescribed the generic macrobid and the first pill I took was on Wednesday i ended up having a severe headache 30 minutes later and got a slight fever all day and took the 2nd pill. The next day I woke up feeling great and took the medicine again leaving me with a terrible headache again. So that night I did not want to take it what so ever. Then Friday came (today) and I went back in for a different medicine and my head didn't hurt really at all but I found out I still had a temp of 100.1. This pill has given me the worst with terrible headaches and a fever. Definitely doesnt work with me. Bdid slightly help whatever I have going on but not as quick as others"

Anonymous August 13, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Barely stopped symptoms then two days after ending RX came right back."

XOC (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2016

"Started this medicine on Monday after second dose started developed a cough. Second day Tuesday cough was worse and developed a headache. Prior to the 4th pill I was now getting a migraine went to bed and only was able to sleep 4 hrs. Third day I refuse to take anymore the symptoms of the UTI have cleared up almost instantly and I will not suffer a migraine for the remainder of the week."

SJG63 August 10, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I was prescribed Macrobid the same day my UTI symptoms began, by my visit to the clinic it was already very painful. By the second day my uti was slightly better, the dizziness and nausea was intense but it didn't impede my ability to function. This continued until the fourth or fifth day when the headaches began, first they were manageable, but after dose 10 I wasn't able to function without getting sick (By then the UTI symptoms were almost completely gone). The side effects lasted until all the medication was taken and for a couple days after. That being said I've always been very sensitive to side effects from medications and everyone's body will react differently. Take with food and lots of water and the whole ordeal will be over soon."

romsten (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

"My 4 month old daughter was recently diagnosed with her 2nd urinary tract infection. With her 1st one the dr prescribed Sufrax oral suspension. We didn't have any issue with it and it cleared up the UTI quickly. This time she was prescribed Nitrofurantoin oral suspension. She is exclusively breastfed, but will take a bottle of breast milk if offered. The Nitrofurantoin is so sweet that she won't take it from a medicine syringe or hidden in a bottle of breast milk. Either way she spits it everywhere even if she's hungry. My question is why TH would they add so much sugar? First, kids don't need the extra sugar. 2nd, you can add flavored sugary syrup at the pharmacy for $1.88 if a kid won't take it otherwise. Way to go, idiots..."

WicketKitty (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I was prescribed for a very painful UTI. After 3 days, I felt no relief. The 4th day, I began to feel better but very fatigued. The 5th day I developed a rash on my scalp. I thought it was shingles. I woke up the 6th day with extreme itching and discomfort. The rash had spread to my shoulders and eventually down my chest and to my waistline. I went to my doctor who took me off Macrobid, switched me to Cipro for another round of antibiotics and prescribed a shampoo and topical ointment for the rash. I wish I had changed antiobiotics that 4th day. This is miserable, red itchy welts everywhere, and low grade fever."

Laced (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016

"Took the pills for 3 days and it made me so much sicker, fever, migraine, aches in my bones and complete exhaustion felt like I was dying. Called my doctor and now trying ciprin."

In milwaukee (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Honestly I was pretty scared taking this medicine after reading these reviews, but I took it and did not have one problem what so ever, also cleared my UTI right up ! Started off taking bacterium and had The WORST side effects, headache, dizziness, my body tingled, Super sick so they switched me to macrobid for 5 days and had no problems, ate with a healthy meal ever time I took it and drank lots of water throughout the day. Everyone is different, so I guess I found the one that works best for me!"

Anonymous August 5, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Honestly I was pretty scared taking this medicine after reading these reviews, but I took it and did not have one problem what so ever, also cleared my UTI right up ! Started off taking bacterium and had The WORST side effects, headache, dizziness, my body tingled, super bad headaches so they switched me to macrobid for 5 days and had no problems, ate with a healthy meal ever time I took it and drank lots of water throughout the day. Everyone is different, so I guess I found the one that works best for me!"

Anonymous August 5, 2016

"I went to the dr with a pain in my left side. I was told I had a uti and perscribed nitro duration mono/Mac 100 mg 2x per day. After taking this med I have had a constant headache, no appetite, I have stomach pains and I feel exhausted. I have no energy to do anything and with two boys that's not working well. I just called my dr to see if I could get on a different medication. The last time I had a uti the antibiotics I was on did not do this to me. I'm miserable! But glad to find this site. I was thinking I was developing a kidney infection. I'm thankful to know it's more likely a medication side effect."

Deb6801 July 29, 2016

"Started four days ago with a UTI. Started taking Nitrofurantoin Mono/Mac 100 mg twice daily. Ive been taking it 9:00 am and 9:00 pm for two days. Today I woke up feeling absolutely horrible! Burning clammy skin, chills (without fever) bad pain in left side of lower back. Pretty much can't get out of bed! I've had UTI's before and can still function. These meds are risky. Went to Doc this morning, and he confirmed that it's most likely this med. Just wanted to put my review out here to help if someome might feel the same."

Backtodoc:( (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "by end of day one (2 doses) I felt very tired. Day two I woke up weak, fatigued, achey but was advised to stay on Macrobid as the UTI symptoms had improved. As day wore on (3 doses) I became increasingly tired, no energy, headache, sensation of heart racing, nausea. Another call to provider and they suggested I switch to Cipro. Before I could do that, an episode of nausea sent me to the bathroom. I passed out, hit my head and ended up hospitalized. I would be very afraid of this medication, considering the other options."

Weed93 July 27, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "This drug is fine for me. It makes me feel foggy, tired and just out of sorts for a few hours but i can still function. The headaches are the worst part. I'm on day 4 so I'm sticking it out!"

knbarnes (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I started taking 100mg of macrobid twice a day on Wednesday evening. It is now Tuesday, I have two pills left. One for this morning and one for tonight. I can't wait to be off this medication. My uti symptoms were gone between day one and two but I was told to take all the medication even if it gets better. I take this medication at 8am and 8pm. From about 4pm-6pm I am extremely nauseous, it's horrible. Then I also wake up off and on from 4-6am because of nausea. I always take the pill with a meal so I don't know why I'm still experiencing the nausea. That's the only bad side effect I have experienced so far. Can't wait to be done with this medication!"

shreffy (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I took Macrobid 100mg twice a day for 7 days. I had no symptoms at all, except day 1 I had an upset tummy. But I can't for sure say that was caused by this antibiotic. I'm very sensitive to a lot of medications and I was really surprised Macrobid didn't give me any problems. I think a lot of people don't realize how crazy a UTI can actually get. You can get some pretty awful symptoms/side effects just from the UTI itself. Blurred vision, headaches and nausea are all side effects of a UTI, not just the antibiotic. I caught my UTI in time and had no symptoms from this antibiotic. There is a reason older people in their 70's and up go mental when they have a UTI. It's a serious condition."

alwayscoffee (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Was prescribed this medication for my UTI. After taking my second pill, I started experiencing severe migraines and blurred vision. It was so bad that I couldn't drive. I stopped taking it yesterday and my vision is still not 100%. I recommend people try this for a day and observe your bodies reaction. Lots of people have a bad reaction to this medication (Ive NEVER had a reaction to medication in my life only this one). If your sensitive to certain medication I highly recommend you don't take this one."

MQM9999 July 22, 2016

"I've had a recurrent UTI for the past month and no other antibiotics had been working. Doctor prescribed this one 100 mg, twice a day every 12 hours, for five days. After my first dose, my urgency to urinate had subsided a lot. Nevertheless, by the second dose severe nausea, constipation, and fatigue began. I have been a zombie at work and just the thought of food makes me want to puke, even though I've been forcing myself to have at least three full meals a day (particularly when I take the medication). Have two more days to go, and I just wrote to my provider to see if I MUST finish it. The UTI symptoms are gone at this point yet the side effects are decreasing my quality of life by the minute."

MiseryInAPill July 21, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Have anxiety issues and think this medicine affected my anxiety...felt a bit lightheaded and nauseous and had a panic attack. Not sure if it the macrobid or pyridium. Symptoms of UT I better but not totally gone yet."

Mammadee (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I am currently on day 2 of macrobid, 2x daily for 5 days. Pharmacist was sure to emphasize to take macrobid with food to prevent nausea. So far, I have no nausea, but have developed a terrible headache. I must say, that pain of the UTI was gone within two hours of taking my first dose, which is worth it to me. So I'll be sticking this one out and hope the headache doesn't worsen."

Ali18 July 8, 2016

"I have Urge Incontinence and take quite a few urine infections. Nitro as I call it is brilliant, as it gets to the root of the problem within, taking the first few caps. The only sort of down thing is, it gives me chronic indigestion, but I'm sure we can all supply ourselves with an anti-acid. If it was not for Nitrofurantoin, day to day living would be pretty painful. Getting urinary infections, sometimes comes with holding in too much, but when you have Urge Incontinence, I find myself doing this all the time, it works, until I get to my commode, but to what cost--I hear you all say--, a lot. So Nitro is definitely the answer to my urine infections."

Lynda McEachran (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2016

"First pill caused a slight tingling and numbness in lips, tongue, fingers and toes. Second dose twelve hours later caused much worse numbness and tingling, pain in hands, along with a very bad headache. Called physician in AM and she advised me to stop medication immediately which I did. She advised me to wait 24 hrs before using new script, she will call in for another antibiotic. Numbness and tingling lasted 48 hrs. after stopping meds. Will not try again!"

DMDEMA July 3, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "When taking macrobid I felt slightly nauseous and had a headache for a few hours. My advice is to eat a light meal with it. I didn't hence I felt sick. After 5 days symptoms improved though. Glad I stuck through it the last 4-5 days :)"

Teppers (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2016

"I was prescribed this medication for my uti. I was asked to take it 2 times a day for 5 days. I took the first dose before I went to bed. I woke up at around 6 with chills. I went to use the bathroom and fainted. I was very dizzy the entire day. I couldn't walk without getting help. I couldn't sleep because of horrible lower abdominal pains I was having. I also had very bad chest pains. The next day I woke my body was in so much pain. I had sharp pains in my stomach the entire day. I stopped taking these pills and I would never recommend them to anyone."

Kas_Michelle July 2, 2016