User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Nitrofurantoin Rating Summary

4.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 378 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"This drug should be banned from use. I'm in agony with cramp in my stomach. Last night I thought my head was going to explode and I've not been able to go out today. Feel so low in mood, tearful and lethargic."

Bee 28 September 27, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I am 6 weeks pregnant and ended up with my first UTI. I was prescribed Macrobid because I am very allergic to Sulfa antibiotics, which landed me in a hospital a few years back. Upon reading the reviews I was so incredibly terrified to take this medication, but I had no choice. I'll consider myself lucky, but so far I have found that Macrobid is actually quite tolerable. I've been a bit more tired and achy than usual and had some mild nausea, but nothing too severe. I have found that taking with a full meal is critical and drinking TONS of fluid (water/Gatorade) helps with side effects. But for me this is really a reminder to take reviews with a grain of salt - you really have no idea how your body will react until you try it yourself."

L.B. (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2016

"Never in my life have I taken such awful medication. Side effects after 1 tablet were headache, pain in eyes, dry mouth, sore throat, racing heart, insomnia, swollen hands, weakness like I'd been run over by a bus, depression, crying, anxiety. I carried on hoping things would get better but after 3 capsules the remaining 3 went in the bin. Never ever will I take these again"

susie uk (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Had a UTI and went to urgent care. The doctor there put me on this medication and while it does work within a couple of days, the nausea is so bad!! I've been feeling so sick to my stomach since taking this medication. I can't seem to focus on anything and the headaches are really bad as well. I know others may have completely different experiences, I am only sharing mine!"

madimoo September 21, 2016

"19 weeks pregnant, got told I had a UTI. I was prescribed this medicine, take it every 12 hours for 10 days. It did not work at all. Still dealing with all UTI symptoms."

KayPrit (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I was given this medication for a Uti i was suffering from that just wouldn't go away with cranberry juice and otc pills. The first day after taking this my symptoms were almost gone. On day 1, my second pill which was at night made my stomach cramp so bad i almost curled over. But i continued with my prescribed dosage. On day 3 i felt almost completely cured of my uti. But on day 3 when i took my 2nd pill of the day which was before bed i started to feel stuffy and had shortness of breath, accompanied by blurred vision, That was very scary. I will not be finishing the rest of the dosage of this medicine. I was prescribed 2 100mg pills every 12 hours for 7 days. Fingers crossed my symptoms dont come back. Beware of side effect!"

T.C (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "This medicine works like a dream. No side effect what so ever. I was taking augmentin and I hated it. I asked for macrobid instead. 2 days and I was feeling a whole lot better."

AJSmith15 (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Definitely would NOT take this again. I experienced headache, dizziness, stomach pain, diarrhea, muscle pain, tingling in my limbs, I was so weak. I really thought something was wrong, and it just so happened all this started when I took the first pill! I am definitely sticking to my ciprofloxacin! I know everyone's different, goodluck to the ones that do take it :/"

Astronaut_finkle September 4, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Only took 3 pills - was sent to the hospital for feeling like I had the flu with intense body aching, chills, migraine, and fever. I was in so much pain I cried. I am 18 weeks pregnant. I wondered why my OB office prescribed me a different antibiotic than in the past but I knew right away something was wrong. It left me feeling poisoned and extremely ill. It's been 2 days since my last pill and I still have pain behind my eyes, my neck, head, and back. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS. IT'S POISON."

Dclark44 August 31, 2016

"I just took my first pill. My biggest fear is nausea, and it has already started, which led me here. I'm sorry but I've never seen so many similar and horrendous side effects of something I've taken. I've decided to call my Dr. first thing and request Cipro, as I know it works for me. I've never even heard of this antibiotic until today. I'd rather suffer the pain of my UTI than risk these crazy side effects. No thank you."

Asking4ciproInstead (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "The most important thing about having a UTI, is making sure a urine culture is done. Many don't realize that there are antibiotics that simply just won't work because the bacteria they have, are resistant to the antibiotic prescribed. Just because the antibiotic didn't work for you, doesn't mean it won't work for others. I've been prescribed Cipro and Bactrim for UTIs in the past, but after the ABT course my UTI kept coming back with a vengeance. Macrobid was the only antibiotic that was able to clear my Bladder/UTI infection. I've seen that sometimes it can make you feel worse before you feel better. Urine culture and sensitivity test is key for those suffering from recurrent infections."

LizzyBee805 (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I was on this medication for about 5 days. I took 2 doses once a day. Remember to take this medication with A LOT of food. Do not, do not, do not take this on an empty stomach. When I took it on an empty stomach, I felt super weak. Thus far, my UTI symptoms have greatly disappeared. I'm not peeing every 15 minutes like I was before."

Anonymous August 15, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "So I went in on tuesday for a uti but no bacteria showed up so the doc prescribed the generic macrobid and the first pill I took was on Wednesday i ended up having a severe headache 30 minutes later and got a slight fever all day and took the 2nd pill. The next day I woke up feeling great and took the medicine again leaving me with a terrible headache again. So that night I did not want to take it what so ever. Then Friday came (today) and I went back in for a different medicine and my head didn't hurt really at all but I found out I still had a temp of 100.1. This pill has given me the worst with terrible headaches and a fever. Definitely doesnt work with me. Bdid slightly help whatever I have going on but not as quick as others"

Anonymous August 13, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Barely stopped symptoms then two days after ending RX came right back."

XOC (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2016

"Started this medicine on Monday after second dose started developed a cough. Second day Tuesday cough was worse and developed a headache. Prior to the 4th pill I was now getting a migraine went to bed and only was able to sleep 4 hrs. Third day I refuse to take anymore the symptoms of the UTI have cleared up almost instantly and I will not suffer a migraine for the remainder of the week."

SJG63 August 10, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I was prescribed Macrobid the same day my UTI symptoms began, by my visit to the clinic it was already very painful. By the second day my uti was slightly better, the dizziness and nausea was intense but it didn't impede my ability to function. This continued until the fourth or fifth day when the headaches began, first they were manageable, but after dose 10 I wasn't able to function without getting sick (By then the UTI symptoms were almost completely gone). The side effects lasted until all the medication was taken and for a couple days after. That being said I've always been very sensitive to side effects from medications and everyone's body will react differently. Take with food and lots of water and the whole ordeal will be over soon."

romsten (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

"My 4 month old daughter was recently diagnosed with her 2nd urinary tract infection. With her 1st one the dr prescribed Sufrax oral suspension. We didn't have any issue with it and it cleared up the UTI quickly. This time she was prescribed Nitrofurantoin oral suspension. She is exclusively breastfed, but will take a bottle of breast milk if offered. The Nitrofurantoin is so sweet that she won't take it from a medicine syringe or hidden in a bottle of breast milk. Either way she spits it everywhere even if she's hungry. My question is why TH would they add so much sugar? First, kids don't need the extra sugar. 2nd, you can add flavored sugary syrup at the pharmacy for $1.88 if a kid won't take it otherwise. Way to go, idiots..."

WicketKitty (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I was prescribed for a very painful UTI. After 3 days, I felt no relief. The 4th day, I began to feel better but very fatigued. The 5th day I developed a rash on my scalp. I thought it was shingles. I woke up the 6th day with extreme itching and discomfort. The rash had spread to my shoulders and eventually down my chest and to my waistline. I went to my doctor who took me off Macrobid, switched me to Cipro for another round of antibiotics and prescribed a shampoo and topical ointment for the rash. I wish I had changed antiobiotics that 4th day. This is miserable, red itchy welts everywhere, and low grade fever."

Laced (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016

"Took the pills for 3 days and it made me so much sicker, fever, migraine, aches in my bones and complete exhaustion felt like I was dying. Called my doctor and now trying ciprin."

In milwaukee (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Honestly I was pretty scared taking this medicine after reading these reviews, but I took it and did not have one problem what so ever, also cleared my UTI right up ! Started off taking bacterium and had The WORST side effects, headache, dizziness, my body tingled, Super sick so they switched me to macrobid for 5 days and had no problems, ate with a healthy meal ever time I took it and drank lots of water throughout the day. Everyone is different, so I guess I found the one that works best for me!"

Anonymous August 5, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "Honestly I was pretty scared taking this medicine after reading these reviews, but I took it and did not have one problem what so ever, also cleared my UTI right up ! Started off taking bacterium and had The WORST side effects, headache, dizziness, my body tingled, super bad headaches so they switched me to macrobid for 5 days and had no problems, ate with a healthy meal ever time I took it and drank lots of water throughout the day. Everyone is different, so I guess I found the one that works best for me!"

Anonymous August 5, 2016

"I went to the dr with a pain in my left side. I was told I had a uti and perscribed nitro duration mono/Mac 100 mg 2x per day. After taking this med I have had a constant headache, no appetite, I have stomach pains and I feel exhausted. I have no energy to do anything and with two boys that's not working well. I just called my dr to see if I could get on a different medication. The last time I had a uti the antibiotics I was on did not do this to me. I'm miserable! But glad to find this site. I was thinking I was developing a kidney infection. I'm thankful to know it's more likely a medication side effect."

Deb6801 July 29, 2016

"Started four days ago with a UTI. Started taking Nitrofurantoin Mono/Mac 100 mg twice daily. Ive been taking it 9:00 am and 9:00 pm for two days. Today I woke up feeling absolutely horrible! Burning clammy skin, chills (without fever) bad pain in left side of lower back. Pretty much can't get out of bed! I've had UTI's before and can still function. These meds are risky. Went to Doc this morning, and he confirmed that it's most likely this med. Just wanted to put my review out here to help if someome might feel the same."

Backtodoc:( (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "by end of day one (2 doses) I felt very tired. Day two I woke up weak, fatigued, achey but was advised to stay on Macrobid as the UTI symptoms had improved. As day wore on (3 doses) I became increasingly tired, no energy, headache, sensation of heart racing, nausea. Another call to provider and they suggested I switch to Cipro. Before I could do that, an episode of nausea sent me to the bathroom. I passed out, hit my head and ended up hospitalized. I would be very afraid of this medication, considering the other options."

Weed93 July 27, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "This drug is fine for me. It makes me feel foggy, tired and just out of sorts for a few hours but i can still function. The headaches are the worst part. I'm on day 4 so I'm sticking it out!"

knbarnes (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016