User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Nitrofurantoin Rating Summary

4.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 381 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I've taken macrobid for 15 years for recurrent UTIs. I get UTIs about 4-6 times a year (ugh) so I've taken it a ton of times. Macrobid gets rid of my infections every single time without fail. The only side effect I have ever noticed, which is pretty annoying, is nausea for about 2 hours after taking each pill. Once in a blue moon I puke, but not usually. Eating and drinking with the pill lessens the nausea but doesn't totally prevent it. So, it does its job really well and eliminates my infections, but I do cringe when I have to take it because it sucks to endure the nausea."

ShesGotSauce February 24, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My first day of being prescribed with the medicine I thought everything will be ok. I took my first pill at 6 p.m at night when I finally got home from work, everything seemed fine. However, at 4:30 a.m I started getting serious abdominal pain and couldn't go to sleep. I started throwing up and had diarrhea, my body was so weak that I started crawling on the floor. This have to be the worst pain ever and I refuse to take it again!"

Shay.. (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "After 10 days on Cipro my UTI did not clear up. Pressure, frequent urination and passing gas through my vagina (yes..Frontal farting...Anyone else have this?). I'm on my 5 th day of Macrobid and have not had any unpleasant side effects...Just some loose BM and gas."

Nelly R February 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I went to the ER and they determined I didn't exactly have a UTI but it was a possibility so they started me on Macrobid. I had never taken it before. Within two days I was hysterical. I had such intense migraines that I fell multiple times and couldn't see straight. My stomach was a mess, I couldn't go to the bathroom, I wanted to sleep but I couldn't fall asleep because my head was pounding too hard. I called my PCP who checked the ER records and told me I had never had a UTI to begin with and to stop the Macrobid ASAP. Once I stopped it the migraines went away, I stopped falling, my gastrointestinal system has now days later, returned to normal."

KTSM February 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Horrible horrible horrible. I was prescribed this as I interact with most antibiotics. It got rid of my UTI but I was sick, had a 38 degree temperature, major shakes. I still feel lethargic and sick so for me the cons outweigh the pros. I did finish complete the course as it was only for three days- had it been a seven day course I would have stopped taking them."

purple vicky (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I woke up a week or more ago and found myself having to pee frequently. I thought "Oh that's weird." Then it began to smell funky and I decided to go get a urinalysis done. It came back negative, but the doctor gave me some Bactrim anyway. Halfway through my treatment with Bactrim, I had an allergic reaction and called it in. They gave me Macrobid instead, and gosh is it expensive. I took it for a few days for a total of 5 days on antibiotics and my symptoms were gone, but something new was happening. I always felt fatigued and nauseated, especially when I woke up, and when I tried to eat, I felt like my appetite had left me completely. My stools had turned to diarrhea and my stomach always felt uneasy. The doc took me off them."

Ixie February 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My experience was HORRIBLE. I was prescribed this medication for a UTI. 30 minutes after taking the first dose, my mood changed for the worst. I became extremely irritable and suddenly super hungry. My appetite eventually went away completely, but my irritability did not. I went into a psychotic rage at one point when my mom was yelling for no reason(like always, typical mom) and was provoking me, and hadn't seen my texts of me telling her I was having a bad reaction so she didn't know. Then before bed, I felt like I was deathly ill, my body was aching, major headache, chills, racing heart. I have anxiety so this medication caused my heart to race even more. I then began crying uncontrollably and felt overwhelmingly sad. Never taking again!"

Luna828 (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I began to take Macrobid (Nitrofurantoin mono) 100mg caplets on last Thursday for a UTI. Within 24 hours I had severe muscle aching, headache, and fatigue. Within 2 days I had even more severe body aches, joint pain, extreme fatigue and sleepiness, dizziness and difficulty walking as well as a fever of 101-102 degrees. I went in to a walk in clinic but symptoms progressed and by Sunday I was in the ER thinking I was in septic shock. I assumed my infection had spread, I had no idea it could be a reaction to the antibiotic. After a barrage of tests including a CT scan, the only possibility is that this poison was wrecking my health. This medication caused me a huge amount of problems. I stopped taking it yesterday and still have a headache, dizziness, muscle aches and low fever. I can only hope the damage caused by Macrobid is not permanent."

Mom in NM (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Just taken 5 of 6 tabs - really don't think can face another day feeling like death. Husband woke me in the night to check temperature - 39.9 said I was panting! He does not normally panic. Can't eat. If I sweat it stinks presumably of chemicals. Splitting headache. Extreme lethargy. Basically went to bed and slept as much as I could. Terrible stomach cramps belching and wind. Best of all I don't even know if this drug is the correct one for me as lab results not back until Monday. Never again for me."

lizro (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Had ORANGE urine from 1/11 to 1/13. Went to Dr. Got urinealysis. They said it was fine and call them if it comes back. It did, every 3 days or so for 2 weeks. Went back to the dr. Got blood work and another urinalysis. My blood is fine. She said I have bacteria in the urine tho, called it a UTI, and put me on this medicine. Only took 3 doses so far and have no side effects but I urinated orange again twice today. So I'm wondering if it should be working by now. And also, like the other stories I'm hearing from you ladies, I have NO other symptoms. Zero. Has anyone had a UTI with no other symptoms? Maybe it's not a UTI. And also, has anyone ever had this orange urine but me? When it's not orange, it's fluorescent yellow. "

Waffles Mom (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I love this drug! I have chronic UTIs I get them at least once a month the first time taking this medication I felt better within a day I did feel a little sick to my stomach but I would much rather feel a little nauseous than having the burning sensation and constantly needing to Pee every 10 seconds. I currently have a UTI now and I took with food and have not felt sick to my stomach whatsoever this medicine is a lifesaver!"

Bribby (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I was instantly sick to my stomach after first dose. Now I wonder if it was just exhaustion from being up all night with the PAIN. I am on day 3 and feel so much better that I may be back at work in the morning. I haven't had a UTI since I was very young and sort of forgot how dreadful it can get. My Dr said usually 48 hrs and one is over the worst and I think the side effects for me are extremely minimal!/"

Auntj January 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "After reading all of the horrible reviews on this site I was terrified to take Macrobid. I waited two days hoping that the symptoms would clear and I wouldn't have to take this "awful poison." Everything I read talked about flu'like symptoms and high fevers..Scary stuff. I finally gave in and took my first dose around 9:00am. By around 1:00pm I had a bit of a headache which was mostly controlled with Advil. Same side effect with the second and third dose. By day three I was side effect free and nearly symptom free too. I would take this again in heartbeat. Don't let the reviews scare you. Everyone reacts differently and you can't base what your experience will be off of the bad experience others had."

PunkyBee January 24, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Although I think I might have kidney stones instead of a UTI, (due to vast amounts of blood in my urine and no pain when I urinate) my only side effect is nausea. I can't say if it actually helped with symptoms because I still have side and belly pain after 7 days of being on it. Just because one person might have one side effect or allergic reaction doesn't mean the next person will. Everyone's body is different and what doesn't work for one person might work for the other."

No prob (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I will NEVER touch this medicine again. A couple hours after my first dose, I started to feel nauseated. Things quickly devolved from there. Severe chills, body aches, fever, splitting headache. Like when you first get the flu, X10000. My skin hurt and I couldn't relieve my pain/discomfort in any way. The next 24 hours, waiting for the drug to leave my system, were a complete nightmare."

Damwill (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I've had a few UTIs recently and the antibiotics has worked every time but this time I was prescribed Macrobid and after one pill I felt pretty horrendous. The symptoms of my UTI went away but it was replaced with really scary symptoms. I took the second pill not thinking it was side effects considering I've never had a bad experience with an antibiotic but woke up during the night feeling like my breathing was so heavy I wasn't sure if I'd need to go to hospital. The headache was unreal, I ached all over and walked about feeling like I was going to fall down any minute and like I was drunk or something. Called the doctor who told me to get an antihistamine and not take another. I felt poisoned! Still not fully recovered."

Miario (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I suffer from recurring UTI's. It's not uncommon with post menopausal women who are still sexually active. This drug has been amazing. Taking one directly after intimacy can prevent the UTI from occurring, but when it does, I feel relief after the first dose and in a few days its gone. Since I'm allergic to the standard treatment of sulfa based drugs, I'm grateful to have this. Keep in mind that everyone reacts differently to any medication. While one person tolerates it well, another can't. So don't dismiss it without trying. I have never had the slightest side effect with nitrofurantoin."

bellashanti January 8, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "It says ON THE BOTTLE to take this medicine with food. This is probably why you are experiencing nausea and fatigue. It's a great medicine and a great alternative and preventative if you're like me and suffer from chronic UTI's."

ALN9007 January 7, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "It has been my personal experience in dealing with urinary tract infection's that Macrobid is a godsend. After having my youngest child I came down with a UTI which stemmed from the birthing unit nurse improperly inserting a catheter prior to my cesarean section delivery. Within about a week I began noticing some tenderness in my lower pelvic area but thought perhaps it was because I had a tubal ligation and c- section and returned to work upon my discharge from the hospital (yeah not the most health wise move but childbirth doesn't stop the bills from flowing in). I was put on antibiotics that didn't work ended up admitted with severly infected kidneys and macrobid was the only thing that cured me and to this day is the only antibiotic that works for my UTI's"

AP42 (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I had a UTI and my Dr. prescribed Macrobid. I'm allergic to most antibiotics and usually experience all the side effects possible so I read the reviews here and was so scared to take it that I waited a week to see if my symptoms would somehow go away on their own (they didn't). I finally said a prayer and started the Macrobid. The only side effect I had at all was a pretty good headache on days 1 and 2, which was relieved with Advil. I wish I had started sooner! Just remember that usually, the only people coming to these sites are people who have had bad reactions. My pharmacist said that she's been prescribing it for 35 years and never heard of anyone having really bad reactions to it."

Robbie22 January 3, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"On Christmas Eve I felt as though a UTI was starting and took Trimethoprim which I had ordered from an online Dr. It seemed to dampen the symptoms but didn't get rid of them completely. I was prescribed nitrofurantoin on New Year's Day. I was in a lot of pain. Started taking the pills at 11am and had three doses during the day plus nurofen. No improvement during that day but I slept well and woke up the following day (today) with very little pain. Symptoms not completely gone but vastly improved. No noticeable side effects. Am taking the antibiotics with food as advised. I give it a 9 rather than 10 because it has worked a little more slowly than treatments I have had in the past (but I am not complaining!)"

5669 (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've taken exactly 4 pills and I will not take one more ... no fever or chills but I have a rash all over my body. I have never been allergic to anything in my life and now this rash is horrible back legs arms stomach. It's itchy and just plain annoying! Also my urine had cleared up before taking these pills now it's back to a very dark color. I am not taking another pill , as for my UTI I will try some parsley tea and see where that gets me"

ItchyAndScratchy January 2, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I took 1 100mg Macrobid at 12pm today for a UTI. Felt bad around 6, so I went to lay down. Around 9, I woke up with extreme chills to the point my teeth were chattering (I'm a very hot-natured person), horrible muscle cramps, nausea, fever, and even hallucinations. I seriously thought I was dying. Thank God my mom called the pharmacist and he said not to take another. It's 12am now, and I still have a fever, and a horrible headache and body aches. AFTER ONE PILL. Don't take this medicine, y'all. It should be banned. I feel like I was poisoned."

AshLiz1004 (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin): "I am only taking the time to write this review because I see so many negative ones. I'd hate to see someone not take it and risk an infection getting worse! This drug does work, cleared up my UTI in 2 days. There are some not pleasant side effects-- Nausea, I've been feeling this one all week, body ache and chills, only on the first day. In my unique case I'd take any pain in the world over having a strong urge to use the restroom every 30 seconds and intense burning. I've taken this drug once before and felt fine. Talk to the dr. if you're concerned, there are other medications out there!"

ajetta (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was prescribed MacroBID after previous three antibiotic courses failed (1st Cipro made me violently ill, 2nd and 3rd were amazing drug Selexid with zero side effects and almost immediately relieved symptoms, however both times UTI returned after a week). Delayed starting the pills due to travelling and not wanting any of the awful side effects I'd read about this drug but my doc warned me of the infection spreading to kidneys so I risked it. I made sure I took a snack and some milk 10min before and swallowed with plenty of water and honestly no side effects, 5 days in only noticed runny nose but nothing else. UTI cleared up within a day too so I would highly recommend trying this, and not worry too much about the negative feedback"

booty.uk December 26, 2016