User Reviews for Macrobid

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Macrobid.

Prevention of Bladder infection
6.3

Bladder Infection
5.1

Urinary Tract Infection
4.7

Summary of Macrobid reviews 5.4 374 reviews

Reviews for Macrobid

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was prescribed Macrobid for UTI. I have taken it once before and had to come off it. This time the first day I took it had massive headache. I get migraines but this felt like my head was being crushed. I could barely move from bed. Had to have those cold migraine strips on my forehead. The pain was horrendous. First three days had headache. Felt nauseous, anxious, heart was palpitating, had no energy. Felt like I was going to fall over. Went to urgent care again and they cultured my urine and said if they found something that wouldn't respond to Macrobid they would contact me. Finished yesterday and still don't feel myself. I hope tomorrow is a better day."

Londonlisa February 21, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "While Macrobid got rid of my symptoms quickly, less than one month later, it’s was back and worse than the first time. Nurse at the clinic told me they and over a dozen people coming back for a UTI after being prescribed Macrobid. Don’t be shy with you doctor if they prescribe this med. Total waste of time and money!!!"

McShe (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I’ve gotten UTI’s periodically throughout my life and since becoming sexually active I typically get an infection 1-2x/yr. I am very diligent with my hygiene and take preventative measures, yet I still get them on occasion. This time around I was prescribed Macrobid to take 2x/day for 5 days. I have taken this medication once before and it successfully treated my UTI. This time however, on my fourth day of taking this medication I could still feel my symptoms through the AZO pills (which I was taking around the clock all 4 days). I was worried the antibiotics weren’t working, but I gave them a chance. I want to note that I also experienced HIGH anxiety throughout the duration of this UTI. Anyway, 24 hours after finishing my prescription, the UTI was back in full force. I had to go in for a urine culture and was given a different antibiotic (Cephalexin) which I start today. Hoping this will be the solution. It’s been a miserable week."

24 y/o female February 12, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Awful, thought I was going to die, sweats, fever, tight chest etc, confusion. Imagine a Flu bug that you wouldn't wish on you're worst enemy that is this awful product!!"

Tomtom61971 (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2018

For Bladder Infection "Had brand years ago for UTI & no problems but this generic is awful! It was prescribed due to a small number of leukocytes in my urine but my MD wasn't concerned about infection yet recommended I take it to be safe. Had zero symptoms whatsoever but took the 1st dose after a full breakfast... mid morning I was lightheaded with aching neck. By afternoon I had a dizzying headache, loss all energy, legs felt like noodles & got winded walking around the house. Night... barely could eat but took 2nd dose & prayed it wasn't the flu. Next day I woke up fine, but after breakfast... 3rd dose & was feeling flu like again but with intense cramping on & off the rest of the day (like ball up in a fetal position & just cry until it stops). I let my doc know I refused to take another capsule & left it at that. I've worked in pharmacy for 15 years & know not all manufacturers create their generic meds equally & these shouldn't be acceptable side effects."

Blacklisted this med! February 9, 2018

For Bladder Infection "About 30 minutes after taking the pill, I felt like I had the flu. (Feverish, chills, achy joints, terrible stomach pains, headache, heartburn and pure exhaustion.) Within the hour, I had to go to bed. I do have to say that I woke up the next day feeling great! I waited until I got to work because I didn't want to take the pill and drive. I spent the rest of the day at my desk feeling the same as the night before. When it was time to drive home I felt ok and the symptoms from my infection were clearly getting better. I'm now on day 4 and I've gotten into a routine that helps. I take the pill at 10pm after I've put my kids to bed and do what I have to do for the night so that I can go right to bed and skip feeling like crap all night. Then I take it again at 10am, about an hour or so after I get to work in the morning. I eat greek yogurt right before taking the pill and a few crackers or a nutrigrain bar right after and that has definitely helped with the stomach cramps and heartburn!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Was diagnosed with a UTI and was prescribed macrobid. Day 1 I was super tired but didn't pay no mind to it. Second day 2nd dose it's like I got run over millions of times. Super tired nausea vomiting stomach pain dizzy chills night sweats loss of appetite crazy he'll headaches. I just continued to take it thinking it was my UTI. After day 3 dose 5 I knew it was the medicine so had to stop it. Felt so bad and just couldn't do anything. I have been off it for 5 days and still feeling chills and dizziness. Hopefully it goes away soon. Will make an appointment with a doctor by Thursday if not a 100%"

Cindy0723 January 29, 2018

For Bladder Infection "Worked great for me and I did not notice a single bad reaction at all. I was pretty surprised to read all these terrible reviews. Painful and frequent urination eased about 24 hours after my first dose. 72 hours after my first dose I started to feel back to normal and now I'm 6 days in and feel completely normal! UTI's are so annoying and inconvenient. AZO was doing nothing for me and I was hardly sleeping at night. After 2 days of being miserable I had enough and called my dr first thing Monday. I think most people leave a review when it's really bad but I'm sure there are a ton more like me like that didn't think twice about writing a review because they're back to living their lives without having to urinate every 5 minutes."

Blessedtobeamomma January 27, 2018

For Bladder Infection "Have just started these meds and they can't make me feel any worse than what I do. I already have aches, shivers, fever all the symptoms of bladder infection. Have scored a 5 as don't know how well they will work."

Rach2454242424 January 26, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was prescribed the generic of Macrobid for a UTI. The last day of the treatment, early evening I started with severe chills which ended up being a very high fever. The next day I was not able to lift my head off pillow as my head was pounding and now my temp is over 102. I was taken to ER. ER could not find ANYTHING wrong with me. I was brought back to ER within 30 hours with 102.9 fever, covered in rash, ALL joints huge, red and painful, bottoms of feet burning lost the ability to walk without a 2 man assist. I was admitted to the hospital and spent 5 days with doctors testing everything possible for an answer. The answer was severed adverse allergic reaction to this hideous medicine."

Aletha61 January 24, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "This is just my 3rd day on this medication and I am not sure what to do. I vomit about 2-3 hours after a dosage, loose stool, horrible smelling gas , upset stomach and neon green urine. However my UTI appears to be going away. I never want to experience this again."

QuiCiCi January 24, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was prescribed this poison by my doctor for a UTI. One capsule to be taken every 12 hours after 5 tablets I had to stop them I thought I was going to die. I can’t remember when I last felt so ill. It seems to have cleared the UTI but at what cost it has been a week now and still not feeling well. I hope it clears up soon. I’ll never take macrobid again. I think doctors must tell us about the side affects of this drug when prescribing it so we can make our mind up if we want to take it. We know that most drugs have side affects but believe me you don’t want the ones you get with macrobid. Get an alternative anti biotic for a UTI if you can please be aware"

Doddo (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "After first day of taking this medication, I started noticing a soreness in my neck. It got increasingly worse each day. I contacted the doctor and was told to discontinue taking it. I stopped yesterday and still have a very sore gland in my neck. It hurts when I swallow."

Scalab (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I'm wondering from the occasional decent reviews on here if there is a high-quality version of this drug that my insurance has cheated me out of. Because I have the horrible version and am suffering 20x more than what the UTI was giving me. HORRIBLE headache - Tylenol not effective and afraid to take anything else due to the nausea. Already allergic to one of the UTI antibiotics so I'm reluctuant to give this up after only 2 days but they have been 2 AWFUL days. If only drugs were capable of targeting our specific problem without killing off the rest of our body! Be prepared for the possibility you may not be able to work while on this - I sure as heck can't."

SickInMI (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2018

For Bladder Infection "The best antibiotic I've ever taken. On the first dose I could actually feel it working. I experienced no adverse side effects and would take it again."

Blue stethoscope (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Never seen my daughter so ill. Called an ambulance tonight as since being prescribed these last week. She has vomited daily. Been in so much pain with no effect from these new tablets. The other nittrofurantion were small white tablets that work in one or two days. These cheap nasty drugs are in capsule form by MicroBID. With some other ingredient to make sure the penicillin works. They worked perfectly well. Another cheap nasty substitute to save money. Avoid like the plague and insist on your normal tiny white tablets. These are hideous and the side effects are savage. Will be filling in the yellow card. Discussed the harm and distress they have caused. Did nothing for the kidney infection. Scandalous"

Annoyed parent January 11, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "This antibiotic is the absolute worst antibiotics I have ever taken in my life. Not only did it not cure my infection it gave me horrific side effects. Within 3 to 4 hours of taking the tablets I was sick and had the worst headache of my life and I suffer from migraine and this didn't even compare. It felt like my skull was been squashed. After 48 hours of shaking, sickness, weakness and headaches I stopped taking the tablets and went back to doctors. What went from a mild kidney infection, I was nearly hospitalised. DO NOT TAKE THESE TABLETS! Unless you wanna feel like you wanna die."

Melissa.harrison2014 January 11, 2018

For Bladder Infection "I was prescribed Macrobid for my UTI and two hours after my first dose, I was in full blown fever mode. Achy, chills, headache, ears burning and anxiety. Constant shivering is too much. I am on my second day and am truly thinking I'm dying. I called the pharmacist and he said it's not an allergic reaction. These are the symptoms. I can't believe that they're allowed to prescribe this. It should be banned. I'm not throwing up, but if that starts, I'm stopping this horrible medication. Please don't take this medication. This is utterly awful ."

TorontoMom (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was prescribed this medication for a UTI while preg. 100 MG 2x a day for 7 days. I started the first dose at night so I took it & went to sleep. I took each dose with food as advised. By the evening of the 2nd night I had a terrible headache & a stiff achy neck. Let me reiterate the headache... I read the reviews but I really feel like I should emphasize this headache. I was in bed all afternoon & Tylenol did not help. The next day was the same. The morning was fine but by the afternoon/evening I had neck pain & that TERRIBLE headache. Now after the 5th dose or so the headaches & neck pain eased off for me."

JennSC87 (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Yes it worked and got rid of my UTI, but side effects are just horrible and so frustrating as I have previously had other antibiotics for a UTI that had no side effects and worked perfectly fine. Headaches and stomach aches for the whole 7 days. I would definitely ask for an alternative."

KFAS January 8, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I took two 100 milligram capsules and felt like death. I was extremely exhausted, had a low grade fever and woke up in cold sweats. I must be highly allergic to this medication."

Mememe34678 January 8, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Used for: UTI with susceptible E Coli in urine culture Course: 100 mg 2x daily for 7 days. I saw the positive effect on the 3rd day, which is later than with other antibiotics. Always took it with food or milk. First 2 days, I had legit migraines. Also, had a mild fever after the very 1st dose. Then, the sleepiness and 'brain tension' (literally, some tension in the brain :) ) kicked in. Unfortunately, the symptoms came back 12 hrs after the last dose, but I don't blame it on the drug. So, it should work for less severe cases and the side effects are tolerable. Go for it."

Tarragon83 December 24, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection "I read one comment stating that symptoms while taking this med were due to the UTI itself. I can tell you from hard experience that this med has side effects, maybe not for all, but certainly for me. This has been my third and last bout with this med. I was encouraged to take it twice, and had the same symptoms - severe headache, body aches, chills, nausea and vomiting, and diarrhea. The second time, I reported this and was switched to Bactrim, which I have never had a problem with. This time, I went to a doc in the box and Macrobid was prescribed again because it was the only med not to interact with my other meds. Same problems occurred. I am just recovering after 2 days of hell. This is real."

Nurse Kell December 23, 2017

For Bladder Infection "I am into my fourth day now with this drug, eight capsules, to date. I have had bad reactions to certain drugs and I was a little apprehensive about side effects that I may incur after reading the reviews posted on this site. To date I have not experienced any that bother me to any extent. I have given them a score of eight because I cannot at this time say for sure that they are doing me any good."

Shick (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2017

For Bladder Infection "Worked great for me. Minimal side effects and worked fast!"

bthroop (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2017