User Reviews for Macrobid

Urinary Tract Infection
4.4

Summary of Macrobid reviews 4.6 489 reviews

Reviews for Macrobid

For Urinary Tract Infection "This was NOT the antibiotic for me"

Gotta Go (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2019

For Bladder Infection "I’m a 30 year old female and took this antibiotic about 4 years ago. Was prescribed this for a UTI. The UTI wasn’t even that bad but the doctor prescribed me these anyway. Took it for two days and felt like I was dying. Was exhausted. Felt like I had the flu and had the worst nausea I’ve ever had (I’ve since been pregnant with bad morning sickness...the effects of this antibiotic were worse!!). Went to the pharmacy next door to my house and the pharmacist said the doctor had put me on a high dosage and that these often cause bad side effects. Rang the doc and she prescribed me amoxicillin instead. Had to get my husband to collect it for me as I was too shattered. Never again!!"

Meefz (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2019

For Prevention of Bladder infection "I was prescribed Macrobid for recurrent UTI’s and bladder infections. I’m supposed to be taking one a day for 3 months, then every other day. I’ve been on it about a month now and for the last week I’ve been waking up every day with severe pain in the back of my neck that goes straight up into the middle of my head. And it is very painful. Now I have, out of nowhere, severe dry eyes. Never had that before. It feels like there is dirt in my eyes all the time. The abdominal pains started yesterday. After researching this drug I realize that it’s most likely all from Macrobid. I stopped taking it 2 days ago and I hope it gets out of my system soon."

Kris (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection "This is my second experience with Macrobid. The first time I took it I was fresh out of the hospital after having a hysterectomy. And I assumed that the side effects that I was experiencing we’re from that surgery. But I’ve ended up with some bladder problems three months post op and an infection. My doctor put me on Macrobid yesterday, I took my second dose this morning, and I am sick as a dog. Heaviness in the chest, trouble breathing, headache, chills… This is the worst I have felt in three months. I called my doctor and said get me off this garbage"

Lucy January 12, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection "I am not sure how or why this drug is being made. It's the WORST. I went to immediate care [out of desperation] for UTI symptoms and they prescribed Macrobid. The first day was ok, my symptoms went away but I felt a little dizzy. The second day I was good but that night I started getting horrible cramping in my abdomen. I was up all night with what felt like a gastrointestinal infection or stomach virus. It was awful. The stabbing pains were so painful. I also had a terrible headache. Contacted my doctor and he was upset that I was prescribed this and immediately prescribed something else. I am on day 2 of being off Macrobid and still recovering. I do not recommend at all."

Charlotte January 11, 2019

For Bladder Infection "I strongly dislike the motives of Big Pharma and I think antibiotics are the devil because they destroy your gut microbiome. When you have a bladder infection, that could progress to ones kidneys, you take them with a metaphorical grain of salt. I took the first dose at 7:23pm. I peed at around 7:50pm with pain. Had the urge to pee again at 9:29pm and had no pain at all! I thought I felt tingling around 8:10pm like I could feel the fight between the infection and the drug. I feel a little foggy in the head. My bowels are definitely loose because I have wet farts and that is from someone is always constipated so I pity the fool who poops everyday and takes this medication. I also experienced vaginal leakage (mucus)."

Sarah B (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2019

For Bladder Infection "Mild UTI so given Macrobid twice a day for 5 days. Followed instructions to the letter. 1st 2 very slight queasiness for an hour or so. Also felt odd-kind of out of it/drowsy but only for a few hours. Day 3 adjusted-both stomach and brain were fine. Then came the pain-pelvic, groin and abdominal-moving around. Sharp stabs AND dull throbbing waves. Then in my neck/under jaw and by ears (like stinging gland pain-if you’ve ever had the mumps you’ll know what I mean). I finished meds and let 2 days go hoping I’d feel better but no - I went back to Dr and my urine tested clear. Kidney test - no pain resulting. No fever. Abdomen fine on palpating-yet all these migrating (moving) pain keeps at me. I “feel” fine except for the widespread pain. I never know where it’s going to stab next. I don't know if its something the antibiotic did but this is very coincidental. I was in good health until this. Be careful with this medication!"

Ren January 5, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection "I experienced every single side effect in this blog. After day five I drove myself to the emergency room. My organs almost shut down. I’m at home, can’t work, and now have to see a lung specialist this week. It’s been weeks and I still feel like I’m dying. I wish the people that had no problems would list their age. And great - I’m glad it worked for you if you had no problems, but don’t ever EVER tell anyone not to be afraid to take it. Be afraid, be very afraid. This med is no joke. I’m 49 and this is the worst thing that’s ever happened to me and I’m still so sick I can barely get up or breathe and my last dose was almost 4 weeks ago"

Ce (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection "I took this drug twice a day for seven days without any noticeable side effects until the last day. I developed a horrible “headache” near the back of my neck and came down with chills. After two days being off the medication, I still felt bad and had developed a dry cough as well as a temperature of 100.8. Today, my third day off of the medication, I’ve developed hives!! If this has all happened early on, I definitely would have stopped the medication!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Please don’t take macrobid! I just got out of the hospital after taking full dose for a UTI. I started itching in my head on Friday by Sunday morning I had a severe rash and my joints and muscles hurt so bad my legs gave out on me and then I started having shortness of breath and chest pains. Went to the UTC where I got the prescription and they had me rushed the the ER. I was having a heart attack. They gave me a epi pen. I ended up staying in the hospital and did have a heart attack but because I did not have blocked arteries it was not a major one but this drug caused some cells to die in my heart and now I have to go to a cardiologist to find out what is next for me. Please please be careful taking this drug."

Marie December 19, 2018

For Bladder Infection "I had the most miserable UTI/bladder infection. I took a course of macrobid and my infection was gone! I try to stay away from abusing antibiotics so it could be the reason why I had a better experience than some people. I didn’t notice any side effects, but then I am not the type of going out of my way to look for things that are wrong. I was so happy that I felt significantly better right away!!"

Liz (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Stopped taking this a month ago, and still have pins and needles itching all over. The only thing that helps is zyrtec."

SVP (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2018

For Bladder Infection "After having various antibiotics over the past 2 week for recurrent UTI’s a new GP prescribed Macrobid as my previous sample had been sensitive to it. I was desperate as going to the toilet and burning sensations when peeing every 10 mins. I have so far taken 3 pills out of 14. I noticed symptoms subsiding within about 6 hours of the first pill and a few hours after the 2nd feeling almost back to normal but not quite completely. On side affect at the moment is slight headache which is much more bearable than the UTI."

Jblue (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "First day of taking macrobid made me super tired at work , I felt like a zombie. The second pill gave me a huge headache and at night I got a huge cough and my throat itching kinda like when I get a cold. I was coughing so much and waking everyone up. I just hope my UTI clears up after this. I am on my 3rd day out of 5. I won't take macrobid again if I get another infection."

scratchythroat (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2018

For Bladder Infection "MOST reviews on the internet are going to be more negative than positive. If you had a bad experience your more likely to share than if the experience was fine. There are thousands of people using these meds everyday and they are fine so you never read about it. Let me reassure you it worked just fine. I always ate food WITH it, and drank lots of water and took a daily probiotic. I had a mild headache the 2nd day, and a little stomach cramps/loose stools by the 4th day, but nothing that major. It took 4 days for my UTI symptoms to go away and by the last day, day 7, back to normal. Some of the negative symptoms people describe are also the same symptoms you get when your UTI gets advanced or worse..not every antibiotic will work for every infection. Not necessarily a bad reaction, just not working. This med has been around for 50+years, and targets your urinary tract. It gets filtered thru your kidneys and gets right to the source. Don’t be afraid, if your doc thinks you need it."

Alegna November 11, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "OMG guys and can’t even talk about what my body is going through right now. I feel like I have morning sickness with food poisoning and the flu all in one! What the heck is going on.. I took it for my UTI and the first day was fine! The second day that night I started to get really ill my heart was pounding my feet and legs felt like pin and needles tingling all over my body! I sweating after that night the next morning I was so nauseous and dizzy with diarrhea and I was so weak couldn’t even walk was completely incompetent what so ever around me! I started to feel anxious and nervous shaking and was about to drive my self to the ER. I stop taking it on my 4 day and I am still feeling like garbage after 12 hrs later! The symptoms is still there not feeling any better! Had to call out for work the next 2 days!! I always read that one of the side effects can cause nerve damage permanently. Never again!"

Cindy (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I took this medication for a week to relieve a bladder infection at 100mg per dosage. The entire time I've been on it I've felt constantly nauseous, short of breath, and very dizzy with borderline vertigo. Which is bearable to some extent, however, everytime I have peed while taking this, it still doesn't feel normal. Going in for another urine test to make sure it cured it because it doesn't feel like it did much."

Amy (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2018

For Bladder Infection "This did not help my UTI at all. For some people it works but does nothing but make me have crazy anxiety and heart palpitations. I had to stop taking it after day 3. My heart was flipping in my chest and continued to do it after 48 hours without taking any more. Pharmacist said I had a bad reaction to it. Thankfully I was given Bactrim and that cleared it up. Heart palpitations have ceased."

kb November 5, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Prescribed 7 days for severe bladder infection. Made me very tired, bothered my stomach and quit it after 3 days. Had a scratchy throat on 3rd night, restless sleep. Was in bed all day on 4th day. Then started getting a cold, head cold on 5th day and at bed time, could hear crackling in my lung/chest area. Never had that before. Will never take this again. Hoping no damage done to my lungs."

Anonymous October 29, 2018

For Bladder Infection "Omg...I have been so sick since I started this medicine. I have been lying in bed for two days straight with a headache, fever, chills, sweats, throwing up, can't eat anything. I am a mother of two and I literally don't know what I'm going to do if this doesn't go away..there dad goes back to work tomorrow. Ughh prey for me! Just ask your doc for something else because this is garbage."

Lauren (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2018

For Bladder Infection "This is the most awful antibiotic I have ever used. I took it for 3 days and could not handle anymore made me dizzy, lethargic, tired, very spaced out and emotional and bad anxiety . Never again."

OVERIT (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "While this did clear up my UTI I am now on week five of intense gas, bloating, diarrhea and discomfort. It’s pretty embarrassing as an elementary teacher to be constantly burping and to have small children constantly ask, “What’s that?!?” as my stomach is making god awful sounds with me then having to bolt to the bathroom. I learned the hard way that the sounds are followed by gas which unfortunately is also accompanied by diarrhea. Nothing I have tried has worked to decrease these side effects. Like I said, it did it’s job but was it worth this? Definitely not. I’d like to be able to fart again without having to worry about if I’m going to shart instead. It’s the little things."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Attended Emergency for Statin use related UTI. Started medication same day and next morning vomited. I took the next prescribed dose and 2hrs later could not take a deep breath, had a very tight, heavy chest, and I thought I was having a heart attack. By the time for my next dose, I had a headache, muscle pain which kept moving, felt sweaty and feverish. The next dose created more of the same, with increased labored breathing. I had never felt so weak or nauseated. Sleep was intermittent and weird dreams. I did not continue, called my GP and stopped immediately. I am a 60 year old woman and this is the most horrible drug I have ever been prescribed."

BLR October 17, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "On my 3rd day of the drug. Cleared up UTI really quickly but the side effect I have suffered from is really bad dizziness. Haven't been able to do anything for a couple of days for fear of falling over. It's horrendous. Last tablet tonight so hoping this will soon be over. Never want these again "

millymouse (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2018

For Bladder Infection "OMG was given this yesterday by GP for bladder infection, NEVER in my life will l take this again. Took first one, felt like l wasn't on this planet. Felt very dizzy, tightness in my chest, felt sick, tingling arms. I had to just wait it out till it was out of my system. I nearly called an ambulance l felt so ill. Went back to GP today told him and got a drug l have used before. With so many negative comments about this drug, why is it still available? BE WARNED!"

sunny (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2018