User Reviews for Macrobid

Learn more about Macrobid.

Prevention of Bladder infection 12 reviews 29 medications

5.8
Urinary Tract Infection 138 reviews 185 medications

4.9
Bladder Infection 92 reviews 81 medications

4.9
Summary of Macrobid reviews 242 reviews 5.2

Reviews for Macrobid

For Urinary Tract Infection "I am 6 weeks pregnant and ended up with my first UTI. I was prescribed Macrobid because I am very allergic to Sulfa antibiotics, which landed me in a hospital a few years back. Upon reading the reviews I was so incredibly terrified to take this medication, but I had no choice. I'll consider myself lucky, but so far I have found that Macrobid is actually quite tolerable. I've been a bit more tired and achy than usual and had some mild nausea, but nothing too severe. I have found that taking with a full meal is critical and drinking TONS of fluid (water/Gatorade) helps with side effects. But for me this is really a reminder to take reviews with a grain of salt - you really have no idea how your body will react until you try it yourself."

L.B. (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2016

For Bladder Infection "I am finding it VERY hard to believe these bad reviews of Macrobid.Im thinking these are the apple cider vinegar, D-Mannose and cranberry juice people, NONE of which cure UTIs. I have been battling reccurent and/or relapsing UTI's for a few years, despite being celibate. Up until now Bactrim worked, yes, it gave me a headache and made my heart race, but it worked. Then I tried monurol worked a few times, expensive beyond, then stopped. yesterday I tried Macrobid first time..no side effects. Had I listened to these reviews, I would have killed myself before taking it.. It seems to be working. It doesnt kill your gut flora Its considered one of the SAFEST of the UTI drugs. All I can say is do not be afraid to try it!!"

gotsuzuki (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "Had a UTI and went to urgent care. The doctor there put me on this medication and while it does work within a couple of days, the nausea is so bad!! I've been feeling so sick to my stomach since taking this medication. I can't seem to focus on anything and the headaches are really bad as well. I know others may have completely different experiences, I am only sharing mine!"

madimoo September 21, 2016

For Bladder Infection "Had bad stomach aches after taking the medication. Also dizziness and nausea. After a while the side effects lessened."

Kerry101 September 12, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was given this medication for a Uti i was suffering from that just wouldn't go away with cranberry juice and otc pills. The first day after taking this my symptoms were almost gone. On day 1, my second pill which was at night made my stomach cramp so bad i almost curled over. But i continued with my prescribed dosage. On day 3 i felt almost completely cured of my uti. But on day 3 when i took my 2nd pill of the day which was before bed i started to feel stuffy and had shortness of breath, accompanied by blurred vision, That was very scary. I will not be finishing the rest of the dosage of this medicine. I was prescribed 2 100mg pills every 12 hours for 7 days. Fingers crossed my symptoms dont come back. Beware of side effect!"

T.C (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "This medicine works like a dream. No side effect what so ever. I was taking augmentin and I hated it. I asked for macrobid instead. 2 days and I was feeling a whole lot better."

AJSmith15 (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "Definitely would NOT take this again. I experienced headache, dizziness, stomach pain, diarrhea, muscle pain, tingling in my limbs, I was so weak. I really thought something was wrong, and it just so happened all this started when I took the first pill! I am definitely sticking to my ciprofloxacin! I know everyone's different, goodluck to the ones that do take it :/"

Astronaut_finkle September 4, 2016

For Bladder Infection "Currently have a fresh UTI. Have some Macrobid left from the last bout. It mad me feel worse in the past, but this is Labour Day weekend and no doc in until Tuesday and the burning is very nasty. Think I will take with a big meal and give it a shot."

UTI2often (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 3, 2016

For Bladder Infection "I usually get 2 UTI per year. I started a week ago noticing a smell to my urine and some cramping but no pain while urinating. A few days after that the familiar sting appeared when I would stop the flow of urine. I knew right away what was happening so I went straight to get a culture done and they put me on macrobid. I started it on a Saturday morning and was able to sleep peacefully and uninterrupted by that night. It is 5 days later and I don't feel 100% but close to it. I have not had any negative side effects from the drug at all. The first few days my bowel movements looked a funny color but so far nothing as terrible as others seem to have experienced. In the past I have also taken Cipro and that seems to work about the same"

wandaelizabeth August 31, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "Only took 3 pills - was sent to the hospital for feeling like I had the flu with intense body aching, chills, migraine, and fever. I was in so much pain I cried. I am 18 weeks pregnant. I wondered why my OB office prescribed me a different antibiotic than in the past but I knew right away something was wrong. It left me feeling poisoned and extremely ill. It's been 2 days since my last pill and I still have pain behind my eyes, my neck, head, and back. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS. IT'S POISON."

Dclark44 August 31, 2016

For Bladder Infection "I use to get bladder infections all the time but this time was BY FAR the worst I've ever experienced. I managed to get myself into a walk-in and they prescribed me macrobid. The first pill I took -- along with cranberry juice, made me feel 80% better. By the third day taking macrobid, I felt 100% better. Definitely take it with a meal though, I took it with something small because I was in a rush and I felt very weak and nauseous."

TanyaG August 24, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "The most important thing about having a UTI, is making sure a urine culture is done. Many don't realize that there are antibiotics that simply just won't work because the bacteria they have, are resistant to the antibiotic prescribed. Just because the antibiotic didn't work for you, doesn't mean it won't work for others. I've been prescribed Cipro and Bactrim for UTIs in the past, but after the ABT course my UTI kept coming back with a vengeance. Macrobid was the only antibiotic that was able to clear my Bladder/UTI infection. I've seen that sometimes it can make you feel worse before you feel better. Urine culture and sensitivity test is key for those suffering from recurrent infections."

LizzyBee805 (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2016

For Bladder Infection "Day two my kidney is not killing me .Able to go to the bathroom no burning feel so much better. 7 day supply Macrobid 100 mg one every 12 hours no side effects just a bad taste in my mouth"

Tumbles August 16, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was on this medication for about 5 days. I took 2 doses once a day. Remember to take this medication with A LOT of food. Do not, do not, do not take this on an empty stomach. When I took it on an empty stomach, I felt super weak. Thus far, my UTI symptoms have greatly disappeared. I'm not peeing every 15 minutes like I was before."

Anonymous August 15, 2016

For Bladder Infection "Was prescribed this antibiotic for a bladder infection at emergency care Dr. said there were few side effects when I asked -was hesitant to take it because im very sensitive to Antibiotics but was assured this was the best medicine for me with the least side effects Wrong! By day 2 I was totally lethargic feeling very irritable and running a low-grade fever on and off. Thought temp was from bladder infection. Finished 6 day course went to my doctor for a urine recheck & since my culture appeared clean was told I could stop day earlier. Two days off the medicine and I'm still feeling like crap extremely tired and lethargic with a low-grade fever or of 100.5 feel like I have a minor case of the flu but since reading other articles I believe it's from the antibiotic never again will I take this"

816Lucy August 14, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "So I went in on tuesday for a uti but no bacteria showed up so the doc prescribed the generic macrobid and the first pill I took was on Wednesday i ended up having a severe headache 30 minutes later and got a slight fever all day and took the 2nd pill. The next day I woke up feeling great and took the medicine again leaving me with a terrible headache again. So that night I did not want to take it what so ever. Then Friday came (today) and I went back in for a different medicine and my head didn't hurt really at all but I found out I still had a temp of 100.1. This pill has given me the worst with terrible headaches and a fever. Definitely doesnt work with me. Bdid slightly help whatever I have going on but not as quick as others"

Anonymous August 13, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "Barely stopped symptoms then two days after ending RX came right back."

XOC (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was prescribed Macrobid the same day my UTI symptoms began, by my visit to the clinic it was already very painful. By the second day my uti was slightly better, the dizziness and nausea was intense but it didn't impede my ability to function. This continued until the fourth or fifth day when the headaches began, first they were manageable, but after dose 10 I wasn't able to function without getting sick (By then the UTI symptoms were almost completely gone). The side effects lasted until all the medication was taken and for a couple days after. That being said I've always been very sensitive to side effects from medications and everyone's body will react differently. Take with food and lots of water and the whole ordeal will be over soon."

romsten (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

For Bladder Infection "I got a pretty bad bladder infection and got prescribed this medicine. I didn't bother to check reviews, as my infection was so bad that all I wanted to do was be able to pee. I'm on day 3. Symptoms barely better. On top of that, I now have bad pain in my lower back, a swollen stomach that hurts really bad, gas, constipation, and worst of all, I can barely stay awake. I'm exhausted. I have zero energy and I've been bed ridden since the first dose. My joints hurt, my shoulders hurt, I am dizzy and nauseous. And I take the dose with a decent meal to prevent stomach upset but it doesn't work. Worst part is that I keep having bouts of diarrhea but nothing comes out. I don't know if the medicine is worse than the disease, but I'm miserable."

AlexisMR August 8, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was prescribed for a very painful UTI. After 3 days, I felt no relief. The 4th day, I began to feel better but very fatigued. The 5th day I developed a rash on my scalp. I thought it was shingles. I woke up the 6th day with extreme itching and discomfort. The rash had spread to my shoulders and eventually down my chest and to my waistline. I went to my doctor who took me off Macrobid, switched me to Cipro for another round of antibiotics and prescribed a shampoo and topical ointment for the rash. I wish I had changed antiobiotics that 4th day. This is miserable, red itchy welts everywhere, and low grade fever."

Laced (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "Honestly I was pretty scared taking this medicine after reading these reviews, but I took it and did not have one problem what so ever, also cleared my UTI right up ! Started off taking bacterium and had The WORST side effects, headache, dizziness, my body tingled, Super sick so they switched me to macrobid for 5 days and had no problems, ate with a healthy meal ever time I took it and drank lots of water throughout the day. Everyone is different, so I guess I found the one that works best for me!"

Anonymous August 5, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "Honestly I was pretty scared taking this medicine after reading these reviews, but I took it and did not have one problem what so ever, also cleared my UTI right up ! Started off taking bacterium and had The WORST side effects, headache, dizziness, my body tingled, super bad headaches so they switched me to macrobid for 5 days and had no problems, ate with a healthy meal ever time I took it and drank lots of water throughout the day. Everyone is different, so I guess I found the one that works best for me!"

Anonymous August 5, 2016

For Bladder Infection "The first few doses made me feel like I had been hit by a truck. Things improved and now I am in the third day and fine. Burning, urgency, leaking GONE so I will finish my 10 days of medication. I had Cipro for 7 days previously and after I finished-- in three days I had symptoms again."

Granmary July 31, 2016

For Bladder Infection "I've take this before with no side effects. This time the doctor recommended me to take it for 90 days, 100 milligrams once a day for recurring UTI. By the second dose I am in the bed feel like I have the flu, a virus at the same time and vision going. Not going to take anymore of this microbid. Wish I had only filled 30 days of meds instead of 90 day. Spent to much money on something I can't take. Take with caution."

S.A.V.A.N.N.A.H July 29, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection "by end of day one (2 doses) I felt very tired. Day two I woke up weak, fatigued, achey but was advised to stay on Macrobid as the UTI symptoms had improved. As day wore on (3 doses) I became increasingly tired, no energy, headache, sensation of heart racing, nausea. Another call to provider and they suggested I switch to Cipro. Before I could do that, an episode of nausea sent me to the bathroom. I passed out, hit my head and ended up hospitalized. I would be very afraid of this medication, considering the other options."

Weed93 July 27, 2016