User Reviews for Macrobid

Urinary Tract Infection
4.5

Summary of Macrobid reviews 4.8 406 reviews

Reviews for Macrobid

For Urinary Tract Infection "This was a terrible Rx and should be banned. For the week I took Macrobid, I have severe stomach cramps, nausea, dizziness, headache, severe gas, leg cramps/Charley horses, and extreme fatigue. My last day I took them was Saturday and it felt like I had the flu on Sunday. I could hardly move, every bone in my body ached, and I either had chills or a fever. I sweat all night long and Monday felt much better. I took probiotics, ate yogurt, took magnesium while taking this but this drug was way wrong for me. Hope there is a better antibiotic I can take next time. I am also allergic to ciproflaxin. This stuff is horrible."

Heather (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Macrobid is absolutely dreadful, It got rid of my infection fast but it actually came back, and the side effects were horrible. It made me wobbly, shaky, and made me so sick I kept almost throwing up. It made me very very tired but I could barely sleep, I will not be taking this medicine again."

B (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I’m on day 5 of a 7 day course for a UTI. This medication has had horrible side effects for me. Within hours of taking the first dose I had nausea. I took it exactly as directed with food. The next couple of days I didn’t have any other issues, and today I’ve started having nausea, vomiting, and shortness of breath after taking my morning dose. I’m going to try and tough it out since I only have 2 days left, but I’ll try to avoid this medication from now on."

Hello (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Horrible! Constant nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, lack of appetite and fatigue! Never again will I take this medication."

Abbie (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I am 70. I tried natural treatments for an UTI but I still had some discomfort, tested positive with Azo test strips. I have had two days of Microbid and the headache, nausea, weakness, etc, is making me feel awful. So, here I lie in bed at 4 am, unable to sleep. Not sure if I can hold out to see if this med clears the UTI"

Kathy (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was in great pain and microbid did take a long time to alleviate the burning sensation that UTI Brings. Another antibiotic like cypro is way better."

Jojo (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "After taking only one in the evening I woke up the following morning and when I got out of bed I was about to faint so I lay on the floor for a while but each time I tried to get up I fainted again so lay there for about half an hour before the feeling passed. I had to get to the bathroom where I was very sick. This went on most of the day, sick and fainting. Followed by sore muscles and joints, a headache and a bad thirst. Next morning I felt a bit better but as the day went on all the pain returned with a vengeance. Very sore muscles and joints again and blurred vision, I just went to bed. The 3rd day I felt better. They are hideous and should never be prescribed....."

Dodo (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Was placed on a 7 day course (1 capsule PO every 12 hours) for a suspected UTI and bladder infection. Medication seemed to work right away after day 1 with no side effects. However, started having severe flatulence and diarrhea on day 2 although I took the medication after meals. Symptoms just got worse and worse with each dose. By day 3, I experienced muscle fatigue followed by elevated heart rate, nausea, chills, and fever before bed. Woke up in the middle of the night burning from the fever and couldn't get out of bed in the morning. UTI symptoms are completely gone however. Not looking forward to finishing the rest of the course at all (I think I will discontinue if symptoms worsen). Keep in mind that side effects vary from individual to individual. If you're few of the lucky ones, you won't experience many of these symptoms at all."

x (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2018

For Bladder Infection "I've taken macrobid a couple times for UTI and have never had a great experience with it. I didn't have many side effects just a little diahrrea but I found it to be ineffective in completely getting rid of the infection. It did help as far as the symptoms went and I felt better by day 3 but after finishing all the antibiotics I still had mild UTI symptoms. I went to the store and purchased some of those azo UTI detection tests and it still showed positive for leukocytes in my urine. Luckily I have some ampicillin and tetracycline at home so I'm going to take those and see if I can't knock it out. If not I'll have no choice but to see a doctor but that's such a pain these days because they don't return phone calls and can't get me in for weeks out. And I don't feel like spending 19 years in a germ infested hospital or urgent Care facility. So my experience was that it did help but didn't cure the issue. Good luck all!"

Dee April 26, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Male aged 70. Have had previous infections and on this occasion GP said we're now prescribing this instead of what you had previously. Never again! After a week of waking every two hours to pee which was restricted to a dribble I was completely exhausted. Fortunately I have a supportive wife but otherwise things would have been very difficult. Headache for the week also. Burning sensation when passing urine until finally the seven day supply was finished. What a relief! It appears to have cleared the infection but the 'side effects' are dreadful."

Brian (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I’m currently in day 6 of 7 for a UTI. I was lucky to discover my UTI very early so I didn’t have bad sickness from that. However, I’ve felt worse from taking this drug. My symptoms are fatigue, headache, high anxiety, tightness in chest, smelly gas, low blood sugar( so low that my hands started to shake really bad) mood swings, and insomnia."

Candy (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "Horrible side effects I had to go to urgent care. I asked for Cipro usually 5 will do. New doctor mine was out of town I will never go back. I am so weak with nausea, cramps, vomiting, headache, coughing and sinus infection with fatigue so bad."

Terdy (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I took macrobid with some hesitation after reading side affects but I was fine only side effect was slight headache"

Julz (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2018

For Bladder Infection "I normally get cephilex as a UTI med. This one time my doctor decided to try macrobid and it was a horrible experience. I had terrible upper stomach pain, weakness, shortness of breath, and anxiety. I immediately took two probiotic pills on day 2 which helped my stomach pain. Day three I was still very weak with mild stomach pain and anxiety. I also still had frequent urination. I call my doctor and had them order cephalexin. Macrobid is horrible and my doctor said half the people come back because it does not work. Never again will I take it!"

Anonymous April 17, 2018

For Bladder Infection "I'm 13 weeks pregnant and got my first UTI I have a medication phobia so I tried to cure it on my own big mistake after many break downs I finally took the first pill within 8 hours of taking it I was feeling so much better I'm on day 3 and all my UTI symptoms are gone I have not had one side effect yet to this medicine I wish I would have taken it sooner instead of suffering for a week I have multiple mediation allergies so to find one I can take was a miracle"

Patty April 15, 2018

For Prevention of Bladder infection "Just because some of you don’t have any reactions to Macrobid doesn't mean the ones that do are lying. It’s real. I have suffered through the effects and it is not pretty. You really feel extremely sick. never again!"

Lori (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I rarely suffer side effects from medication, but Macrobid has been a hard route, as following the 1st dose, began suffering extreme nausea, gas, stomach pain, anxiety. I pushed forward thru dose 4, when I decided on Day 3 to skip all medication, but did take only 1 dose of Macrobid with something to eat late in the evening, hoping to bypass nausea. I awoke early & began vomiting once an hour for 4 hours...so I'm calling Dr to request a different medication."

NancySydsMom (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2018

For Bladder Infection "Not my usual medication as I have had bladder Infections on and off for 20 years plus. After the 1st tablet (twice a day slow release) I felt so ill. I was so sleepy & had headache to the point of I had to have a day off work. Didn't dare take another one. Ordinary Nitrofurantoin has worked fine for years but the Doc decided I could try something different. Thanks Doc you just cost me an extra prescription charge and a sick day from work. Fuming!!"

YorkielassUK (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2018

For Bladder Infection "I really had no issues at all taking this medication. I was prescribed 100mg twice a day and I take it with a serving of cheese. The day I started I had some loose bowels but nothing too bad. I'm now on day 5 and my bladder infection hasn't cleared. I am still getting episodes of burning and I have frequent urination."

Brenda (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I should of taken 4 in the space of 2 days by taken 2 ( 2 ever 12 hours) after taking my first one I got a severe bad headache and back pain, my kidney's swelled up and so did my spine. I got a red rash along my back and was struggling to sleep and breath. Didn't want to eat or drink and wasn't myself. The second day I took another after a few hours I completely lost my breath I was struggling, burning up all over, left shoulder felt loose and hurt, wasn't with it at all and thought it was the end as I was on the phone to 111. Today I didn't take anything going to the doctors as I've had a severe allergic reaction to these meds bad throat and chesty cough. My tablet's where blue and yellow and others seem to of have yellow and black? Really wouldn't recommend these to anyone!!!"

C (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I am on Macrobid for a UTI. I've had 3 doses so far. I have some shortness of breath since starting it and today I've had joint pain and muscle pain. I have arthritis in my hip and now the pain is much worse. I read these can be side effects. I don't really know when I have a UTI because I catherize myself. I do get some back pain and some lower abdominal pain and my urine showed I did have an infection. I'm a diabetic and it's causing low blood sugars. I don't like the Macrobid and have been on Cipro in the past which didn't cause any side effects. Today is Friday and my doctor won't be back till Tuesday. I'll try to stick it out, but if I feel worse tomorrow I'm going to stop taking it and wait till Tuesday when my doctor is back."

Jeannie (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2018

For Bladder Infection "I normally get all the bad side effects you can get with medications so I was very hesitant to try this. I have been on it for several days now and the only side effect I have encountered is extreme drowsiness following each dose. I have been able to sleep when I get tired, so this has not been an issue. In fact it’s been nice after suffering sleep deprivation with intense UTI symptoms. Within 6 hours after taking my first dose I saw significant improvement in symptoms, and after 2 doses, felt pretty much back to normal. I have had many UTI's in the past and this is the best med I’ve ever had. I’m truly in love!! If you haven’t tried it, I’d recommend at least giving it a chance!"

Autumn04 (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "I have foolishly taken macrobid twice for the same infection. It seems to clear it up but actually it reappeared within two weeks. Both time had a severe reaction. High fever alternating with chills No energy whatsoever Sleeping all the time Terrible headaches Nausea Unable to eat no appetite whatsoever Dry mouth no saliva to the extent my mouth stuck together overnight and my lips cracked and it felt like I had a trout pout my mouth was so swollen tongue fuzzed up and feeling like sandpaper. These drugs are cruel, I will tell my GP I cannot take ever again , I went downhill from getting the drugs, at first I imagined it was the infection coming out or maybe worse, I have a cancer, but I really should have read these reviews the negatives are spot on. I too was referred to ER who probably weren’t aware of the side effects or that they could be so bad"

Janey (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "UTI with very mild symptoms but I was traveling so I wanted to get something to take care of it pronto. Doctor said Macrobid (two 100mg for 7 days) had 85% success rate, so that sounded pretty good to me. Second day on it I was driving on the 10 freeway in Los Angeles and had to pull over from unbelievable anxiety. It felt like I had a “tunnel vision” like perspective. These side effects progressed so I stopped the medication after the 3rd day. Side effects didn’t go away. The night after I stopped taking Macrobid I was up until 2am with what felt like an insane flu. I almost drove myself to the ER because I thought the UTI spread (?) I was so confused by what was going on. This is 3rd day off this drug and still dealing with side effects."

J. (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection "How does anyone take this drug? Severe migraine, severe nausea...you can't complete the course of therapy if you're sick in bed. There are better choices out there."

Ruffryde (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2018