User Reviews for Macrobid

Learn more about Macrobid.

Prevention of Bladder infection 14 reviews 29 medications

6.3
Urinary Tract Infection 180 reviews 186 medications

Bladder Infection 108 reviews 82 medications

4.9
Summary of Macrobid reviews 302 reviews 5.4

Reviews for Macrobid

For Urinary Tract Infection "Interesting reading about the flu like symptoms after coming back from our holiday with a UTI. I started the pills on Monday and that night I had all the flu symptoms and it was horrible but never thought it was the antibiotics so thank you. I'm covered in a rash which isn't itchy thank goodness but wow it's everywhere. Only 5 days worth but it's working. Thanks for sharing."

Canadian gal May 3, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "Had abdominal discomfort, burning sensation, and blood after urination. Urgent care diagnosed me with an UTI. They prescribed this for me and after taking one pill my symptoms started to subside. I have only experienced slight headache but no other significant side affects. My urine however did turn a different kind of yellow but when looking at the packaging this is normal and doesn't warrant concern. Great antibiotic."

Katyrn313 April 30, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection "I was prescribed this medication after having symptoms for 1-2 days. I am not a pill taker. I was in between insurance so I had to go see a minute clinic provider. I was told the drug was highly effective and asked if I wanted to try it. I knew cipro worked in the past, but the prescriber seemed avid that this med would take cake if my symptoms. To no avail, I've had a horrible smell in my urine, a bout of leakage and now on day 4, my bladder and urinary tract burn & literally feels sore and swollen. This medicine is complete crap! I would have been healed by now had I been given the medication I requested in the first place! Now I am out 200 bucks and feel horrible and wondering if I have to go this all over again in 2 days..."

Suffering4 April 23, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection "After being prescribed Monurol (a single dose, powder satchet antibiotic) for a pretty nasty Bladder Infection, I had to go back to the doctor because I was still in serious pain. My family doctor prescribed Macrobid, and after taking ONE dose, I started to have relief. I'm pretty sensitive to medications, I usually get the full list of side-effects; headache, nausea, diarrhoea, but with Macrobid, absolutely nothing-not even the weird possible "darkening of urine". Believe me, I'm a big baby, I'd whine about anything, this medication was amazing."

Lainezal (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "Before your freak out thinking that you're gonna have the worst experience ever on this drug, don't! Most people who have good experiences don't come to these sites and write reviews, it's always the bad ones! I have terrible health anxiety and I'm sensitive to lots of drugs. I also had C diff 3 months ago (cured by at home Fecal Microbiota Transplantation) so taking an antibiotic again was pretty scary for me. The side effects I got were a slight headache and nausea for a couple hours after each pill, some gas but no other digestive issues (thank goodness!!!). I was feeling better on the 4th day and have one more day to go. Take it with bread to make it easier on your stomach."

Anonymous April 12, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "Very good experience with some minor side effects.....minor and worth having rather than being in the hospital with a kidney infection! I read some of the reviews on here. I have health anxiety and a bit of hypochondria and I am afraid to take medications. I was hesitant to take this one as well after reading the reviews. Only side effects I felt was some mild diarrhea, headache, some muscle aches, fatigue, mild pelvic and side pain and chills (which could have been from the UTI rather than a side effect of the medication). Please take the bad reviews with a grain of salt. Everyone responds differently to medications and my experience was good with this. Don't take UTI's lightly as they can lead into more serious problems."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2017

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection "I have taken this medication tons of times and every time without side effects. It is the only thing I can take to take care of my UTIs. I took it off and on in the past for UTIs due to having 4 urether instead of two. Then I had to take it for 9 months while I was pregnant (one a day for prevention), never had a problem. Now years later, Just had a hysterectomy and had a UTI again. Asked for macrobid and within two days the pain is gone and I am getting better. Couldn't live without this medicine. I don't know what these people are talking about."

Knokke70 March 13, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "My dr wanted to give me Cipro or Bactrim but since I have a pill complex, I asked for something smaller. He prescribed Macrobid and I came to this site to apparently scare myself before taking it. Well I'm here to tell you that this antibiotic was GREAT! As someone who has colitis and constant headaches, both triggered by virtually anything, neither were affected by this drug. I experienced zero side effects. I took 100mg twice a day for 5 days. I would take 1 capsule right after breakfast and 1 capsule right after dinner so it was always accompanying a meal. 5 days later, urine culture came back negative. This worked great for me! I didn't start feeling pain relief til day 4 though. Hang in there and take with meals."

keleliwei22 (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2017

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "I started Macrobid yesterday and I felt okay but today I've had the most horrible painful stomach cramps and the weirdest constipated diarrhea I have ever had. I am constantly feeling like I need to throw up and the bowel movements and pain are what prompted me to do some Internet digging. I have taken four of 100mg pills in two days and I refuse to take another. At work today I nearly tripped several times and I was disoriented, felt sick, and had difficulty walking straight. There are other meds out there and while I know that everyone reacts differently to medication, I seriously would not wish this stomach/abdominal pain on anyone; it is incessant and keeping me from sleeping. I pray for alleviation tomorrow but fear it may take a few days."

Napoleangirl80 (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "Please don't be scared to take this medication. I read the reviews and was horrified, but honestly the drug was very tolerable. I went through 2 other medications for UTI before I was prescribed this one. First it was Bactrim, which a few hours after taking 3rd dose I got hives. Second was Ciprofloxacin Hcl 500mg and I ended up with tendinitis in both legs. Thirdly is Macrobid 100mg 2x a day for 7 days. My advice is to take it with a full meal. Only side effects I get is slight drowsiness, and nausea close to the 12 hours mark of my next dose. Eat large meals before taking Macrobid and then snack throughout the day and drink lots of fluids. You'll be ok."

Lily2006 (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "I've taken macrobid for 15 years for recurrent UTIs. I get UTIs about 4-6 times a year (ugh) so I've taken it a ton of times. Macrobid gets rid of my infections every single time without fail. The only side effect I have ever noticed, which is pretty annoying, is nausea for about 2 hours after taking each pill. Once in a blue moon I puke, but not usually. Eating and drinking with the pill lessens the nausea but doesn't totally prevent it. So, it does its job really well and eliminates my infections, but I do cringe when I have to take it because it sucks to endure the nausea."

ShesGotSauce February 24, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "After 10 days on Cipro my UTI did not clear up. Pressure, frequent urination and passing gas through my vagina (yes..Frontal farting...Anyone else have this?). I'm on my 5 th day of Macrobid and have not had any unpleasant side effects...Just some loose BM and gas."

Nelly R February 17, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "I went to the ER and they determined I didn't exactly have a UTI but it was a possibility so they started me on Macrobid. I had never taken it before. Within two days I was hysterical. I had such intense migraines that I fell multiple times and couldn't see straight. My stomach was a mess, I couldn't go to the bathroom, I wanted to sleep but I couldn't fall asleep because my head was pounding too hard. I called my PCP who checked the ER records and told me I had never had a UTI to begin with and to stop the Macrobid ASAP. Once I stopped it the migraines went away, I stopped falling, my gastrointestinal system has now days later, returned to normal."

KTSM February 17, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "I woke up a week or more ago and found myself having to pee frequently. I thought "Oh that's weird." Then it began to smell funky and I decided to go get a urinalysis done. It came back negative, but the doctor gave me some Bactrim anyway. Halfway through my treatment with Bactrim, I had an allergic reaction and called it in. They gave me Macrobid instead, and gosh is it expensive. I took it for a few days for a total of 5 days on antibiotics and my symptoms were gone, but something new was happening. I always felt fatigued and nauseated, especially when I woke up, and when I tried to eat, I felt like my appetite had left me completely. My stools had turned to diarrhea and my stomach always felt uneasy. The doc took me off them."

Ixie February 13, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection "Both extremes of Macrobid are accurate. I've had a lot of UTIs- to the point of having Macrobid prescribed with refills as needed. I never experienced any symptoms and this stuff was like a miracle. Took 24 hrs to kick in and felt great. I didn't get a UTI for 2 years and then just got one. I took Macrobid and it has made me feel horrible! I feel weak, have no energy, am always dizzy, have headaches, diarrhea, bad pain around my lymph nodes and always feel like I need to throw up. Fortunately I'm a sahm (stay at home mom) so I'm able to deal with it at home, but I had to have someone take my child to school because I couldn't get out of bed! Also it feels like it hasn't completely started working. So it can be great and horrible, even with the same person!"

Danielle_3456 February 10, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection "I was prescribed Macrobid for a UTI. Within 12 hours of my first dose, I had extreme body and muscle pain from my ankles to my shoulders. I am 100% aware that many people can take Macrobid and be fine, I'm just relieved to read that some other people went through what I did for the simple fact that I thought I was dying! The morning after I started taking the meds, even my lungs felt bruised. I was too weak to hardly even walk. I returned to the doctor and totally thought they would hospitalize me. He wrote me a new script and sent me home. My mother and husband took turns taking care of me until I stopped vomiting and writhing in pain, which in total took days. I couldn't eat and even couldn't take care of my small children for two days."

Freaked out! (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "I began to take Macrobid (Nitrofurantoin mono) 100mg caplets on last Thursday for a UTI. Within 24 hours I had severe muscle aching, headache, and fatigue. Within 2 days I had even more severe body aches, joint pain, extreme fatigue and sleepiness, dizziness and difficulty walking as well as a fever of 101-102 degrees. I went in to a walk in clinic but symptoms progressed and by Sunday I was in the ER thinking I was in septic shock. I assumed my infection had spread, I had no idea it could be a reaction to the antibiotic. After a barrage of tests including a CT scan, the only possibility is that this poison was wrecking my health. This medication caused me a huge amount of problems. I stopped taking it yesterday and still have a headache, dizziness, muscle aches and low fever. I can only hope the damage caused by Macrobid is not permanent."

Mom in NM (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was instantly sick to my stomach after first dose. Now I wonder if it was just exhaustion from being up all night with the PAIN. I am on day 3 and feel so much better that I may be back at work in the morning. I haven't had a UTI since I was very young and sort of forgot how dreadful it can get. My Dr said usually 48 hrs and one is over the worst and I think the side effects for me are extremely minimal!/"

Auntj January 25, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "After reading all of the horrible reviews on this site I was terrified to take Macrobid. I waited two days hoping that the symptoms would clear and I wouldn't have to take this "awful poison." Everything I read talked about flu'like symptoms and high fevers..Scary stuff. I finally gave in and took my first dose around 9:00am. By around 1:00pm I had a bit of a headache which was mostly controlled with Advil. Same side effect with the second and third dose. By day three I was side effect free and nearly symptom free too. I would take this again in heartbeat. Don't let the reviews scare you. Everyone reacts differently and you can't base what your experience will be off of the bad experience others had."

PunkyBee January 24, 2017

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection "I came off the drug two weeks ago but still feel ill. I'm dragging myself around and feel confused, tired and full of aches and pains. I am normally a very fit person who loves to swim and walk. This drug needs to be banned if others can be used without the dreadful and long lasting side effects. I read I could now have liver damage."

Mammaroo (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection "Brilliant. Day 3 of taking microbid and UTI cleared up. Still 4 more days to go. Very happy."

Zen1 (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Prevention of Bladder infection "I have had recurring uti's for 5 decades. I've been on macrobid for a couple of years. I've found it does help prevent the kidney and bladder infections with few side effects. The side effects I do have are: darkened urine, diarrhea occasionally, nausea and dry heaves occassionally, dizziness occasionally and peripheral neuropathy on occasion. Now I know you would think that these side effects would deter someone from taking this drug but for me those side effects are better than having bladder and kidney infections for 6 months at a time. For me the macrobid is the lesser of the two evils. Living with the infections is worse than these few issues."

DebbyGre (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 14, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "I've had a few UTIs recently and the antibiotics has worked every time but this time I was prescribed Macrobid and after one pill I felt pretty horrendous. The symptoms of my UTI went away but it was replaced with really scary symptoms. I took the second pill not thinking it was side effects considering I've never had a bad experience with an antibiotic but woke up during the night feeling like my breathing was so heavy I wasn't sure if I'd need to go to hospital. The headache was unreal, I ached all over and walked about feeling like I was going to fall down any minute and like I was drunk or something. Called the doctor who told me to get an antihistamine and not take another. I felt poisoned! Still not fully recovered."

Miario (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "It says ON THE BOTTLE to take this medicine with food. This is probably why you are experiencing nausea and fatigue. It's a great medicine and a great alternative and preventative if you're like me and suffer from chronic UTI's."

ALN9007 January 7, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection "It has been my personal experience in dealing with urinary tract infection's that Macrobid is a godsend. After having my youngest child I came down with a UTI which stemmed from the birthing unit nurse improperly inserting a catheter prior to my cesarean section delivery. Within about a week I began noticing some tenderness in my lower pelvic area but thought perhaps it was because I had a tubal ligation and c- section and returned to work upon my discharge from the hospital (yeah not the most health wise move but childbirth doesn't stop the bills from flowing in). I was put on antibiotics that didn't work ended up admitted with severly infected kidneys and macrobid was the only thing that cured me and to this day is the only antibiotic that works for my UTI's"

AP42 (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017