User Reviews for Macrobid

Urinary Tract Infection 4.4
Summary of Macrobid reviews 4.6 657 reviews

Reviews for Macrobid

Rhlowe · Taken for less than 1 month September 11, 2020

For Prevention of Bladder infection: “I have been taking 100 mg of macrobid at bedtime each night for the past almost 2 weeks to hopefully prevent reoccurring UTI’S. After a couple days, I developed such a bad cough that I was actually sent for a Covid-19 test, ran low grade fevers, had headaches, no energy at all....could barely move and felt faint and no appetite. Forgot the pill one night and realized, late the following day how great and normal I felt all day, so much energy....actually wanted to and ENJOYED eating. Took my pill again that night and next day....it was even worse. Am calling my doctor, I don’t want to feel like I’m literally fading away.”

Andi · Taken for less than 1 month August 24, 2020

“I have had two instances of an infection that tested negative for a UTI/STIs since the insertion of my IUD in 2018, so they think it is bacterial vaginosis and Macrobid has cleared it up in as quickly as 2 days both times. No negative side effects except increased appetite. I am extremely sensitive to antibiotics and any nausea-causing medications normally, but this one has caused me no problems at all. I ask for this medication specifically when I call my doctor now.”

Kik August 16, 2020

For Bladder Infection: “I read so many reviews before taking Macrobid because that’s just what I do before any medication. I was terrified to take this med after reading so I clinched after every pill. I was given 100mg to be taken twice daily for 7 days but on the 4th day I felt beating on my kidneys, almost like someone had a drum set in there. Since I know that 4 days of treatment is what some people are actually prescribed I instantly stopped taking them. The worst side effect I had was headaches and fatigue and the kidney thing.”

Truthie · Taken for less than 1 month June 26, 2020

For Prevention of Bladder infection: “Was put on macrobid when my yearly physical lab showed a slightly higher WBC in urine. After 2 doses I began with chills and fever. I had three days of 104 temp, nausea and vomiting even water would not stay down. As a senior adult living alone I feared the need for IV and hospital treatment but would not go due to Covid. Called my Dr back and was told to go get tested for Covid. They offered no other reason for my ills. I did my own research and took myself off of the drug. 24 hours later.. no chills, fever is normal, no vomiting. This was like poisoning my body. Never again! My daughters had similar experiences also. Be aware if taking this drug. I do not think it should be on the market”

Flash · Taken for less than 1 month May 27, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I took this for a UTI. I found relief the next day. The only side effects I experienced were: dark brown urine, nausea, and upset stomach. It was very annoying to have to deal with especially after being at the hospital and enduring horrible pain from the UTI itself. I try to avoid taking this but I am glad I have it if I ever desperately need it.”

Bastet · Taken for 10 years or more May 24, 2020

For Prevention of Bladder infection: “I have been on Macrobid every other day since 1997 and I have not had a bladder infection for 23 years. It was a life saver for me as I would get bladder infections monthly. No ill side effects.”

User May 23, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Took Macrobid (Nitrofuratoin) twice for a UTI. The first time, I experienced a slight fever, chest pains, and difficulty breathing. I switched medication after speaking with my doctor, but I did not know that it also went by the name Macrobid as the generic brand. I had taken macrobid before and was fine, so assumed that this was a one-off instance of bad side effects. Now taking for a second time, and am experiencing very bad side effects of nausea, splitting headaches, slight fever, fatigue.... no other UTI medicine I’ve taken before has caused similar reactions. Would not recommend taking something so risky when there are plenty of other just as effective alternatives.”

Gallifreyel · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2020

For Bladder Infection: “I was prescribed 5 days worth of 100Mg Macrobid for a UTI. It was working, but very slowly. It did not clear up my UTI, and it got worse again. I talked to a friend who had been prescribed it multiple times, and it never works for her and caused a kidney infection due to its impotency. I read online that it doesn't work for older women, but we are in our early 20's, so it's not just older women. I do not recommend Macrobid especially after reading all of these other reviews. If you get prescribed it, do yourself a favor, and ask for something else.”

Runnergirl · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Came on to share my experience after seeing all of the bad reviews. I have not experienced any side effects from Macrobid; and haven’t always eaten with a large meal. Very well tolerated and provided relief from painful UTI after only a few doses. I tend to react to antibiotics but no issues with this one.”

Dizzy but UTI better · Taken for less than 1 month March 2, 2020

For Bladder Infection: “The first three days I took 100 mg generic Macrobid twice a day with large meals because it was causing mild queasiness. UTI symptoms subsided. On the 4th day I took with a small breakfast and experienced dizziness and heart pressure. I called the doctor who said that I was on it long enough and to stop. A decade or more ago I took Cipro with no side effects for UTI but now they say Macrobid is better due to antibiotic resistance and targeting UTIs specifically. The dizziness and heart pressure side effects were enough to make me stop and re-consider ever being on this medicine in the future.”

Mia February 20, 2020

For Bladder Infection: “I have taken Macrobid many many times. I have never had any side effects and it clears up immediately. Mind you, I take myself to the clinic the moment I know I have a UTI which is typically cramping and pressure in my lower abdomen followed by issues urinating. I only ever get these symptoms after intercourse when I do not relieve myself almost immediately. I've never gone over 24hours with symptoms and not had Macrobid prescribed. It's a life safer.”

Rev · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

For Bladder Infection: “This is the second time I've used Macrobid and I've concluded it does not work for me. With other antibiotics, I've gotten relief from UTIs within hours. Not with this stuff. I'm on day 3 and my symptoms keep returning along with nausea and diarrhea. I can't wait to get some Bactrim”

Ray · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I've been reading the reviews and freaking out. I've had MANY bladder infections in my 18 years on this planet (sucks). But I've always been prescribed bactrim. But that was always by my pediatrician, so I'm in between doctors right now. I went to an online doctor thru my insurance company and they prescribed me Macrobid. I honestly broke down into tears after reading everyone's bad reviews. But I took my first pill today about 2 hours ago and the only side effect I've felt is feeling kind of heavy and fatigued. I ate dinner before taking and have been drinking water consistently since taking it. I feel pretty good! Sorry to everyone who's had a bad experience I hope y'all get better and that I don't have any of them ”

Allan · Taken for less than 1 month January 31, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “For almost a month, I have been feeling every single description of what a UTI entails. Went to urgent care finally and they found red blood cells microscopically in my urine and slightly elevated pH, but the urine culture came back negative. They prescribed me Macrobid and I'm now on my last day. I feel like the drug maybe helped to a very small extent, but overall not effective at all. Perhaps I have another underlying condition, but everything I'm feeling is indicative of a UTI. I had some stomach cramping on multiple occasions and feelings of being "off." Now it's a trip to the Urologist next week to get to the bottom of this mystery. It's a nuisance and and annoyance to have this. I've never had this before.”

Asdf · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I didn't appreciate the fact that you need to eat a proper meal or a sandwich when taking them. I had half a banana with the first dose and throughout the day I thought I felt so sick. Sick 5 times, chills, sweats, stiffness, dizzyness, tiredness and many other things. I called the surgery as I thought I might be allergic to them but they told me I hadn't eaten enough. Relief!!!”

Marleah January 28, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Took the antibiotic for 5 days for a UTI. First day it did cause a bit of nausea and dizziness but nothing too drastic. The rest of the days I had no side effects at all. Always took with a meal to prevent nausea or upset stomach.”

Flowerq · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I’m 20 and get a lot of UTI's. I’ve taken just about every antibiotic there is. This is one of the milder ones. The bad smelling pee and burning went away after my second dose. I’m on my 4th day. I take this for 5 days. Gives me bad insomnia, but yet I’m super sleepy. Not the best feeling in the world but it’s worth it to clear the infection. UTI's can become dangerous if left untreated.”

Molly · Taken for less than 1 month January 8, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I took this medication Macrobid for 5 days 2 times a day without issues and retested 5 days later to find it cured my UTI. 2 weeks later I had another UTI and again was given Macrobid. This time I started having a stomach acid discomfort which escalated to nausea, body aches and headache. I would take it with food but 3 hours later I’d feel sick and have to eat again. Day 4 I had swelling in my feet so I wore compression socks and I have drank plenty of water throughout my treatment. It basically has felt like I’ve had the flu and the next day after my last dose I am waiting for improvement. Everyone is different but this med has made me extremely sick. My dr told me to stop at day 5 rather than 7 and we will test in 3 days.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “This drug was fine at first. By the second pill it seemed as if my UTI was gone. If you don’t take this drug with TONS of food, it will mess you up. This drug also gave me sever stomach gas and diarrhea every morning. It also increased my appetite so much when I woke up that I had to eat something immediately or I felt sick. I really did not like being on this medicine. It messed up how I felt and just made me super tired and uncomfortable. I hope I never have to take it again.”

Harper · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “On macrobid for UTI and everything is coming out of me everywhere. I was only able to eat a breakfast bar, water and a banana yesterday. I threw up the banana after about an hour. Today I held down applesauce. Unfortunately it’s a holiday but I am calling my doctor in the morning.”

Tony H · Taken for less than 1 month December 29, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I am on my fourth day of taking MacroBid for UTI. The burning sensation, when I pee, has gone. The foul smell in my urine has gone, it now smells like urine again. My urine is clear again. It was very cloudy and slightly brown in colour. The two aspects of the infection that remain are the weakness of the flow and the frequency of origination, which is about every half hour. I have not had any side effects. So I feel that this has been a success so far. I have seven days worth to take and I will keep going.”

Marco · Taken for less than 1 month December 26, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Mild nagging headache, mild nausea, cold sweats for up to 3 hrs after ingestion. Negative interaction with Lorazepam dramatically increasing the above side effect and duration. In addition, intense muscle aches & pains. IMHO, steer clear of benzodiazepines with this Rx. This the 2nd time I took it this month because UTI came back. Antibiotics must be replaced soon by new biotech because we have so changed our internal biome with antibiotics that resistance has caught up with them. The same is true for fungi...google Candida Auris. At our population levels microbiology has recognized us as their number one food source on the planet.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 25, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: “This medicine was absolutely horrible for me I had extreme diarrhea with nausea and vomiting every time I took it and I had to take it 2 x a day . The abdominal pain it caused no matter how much food or water I took with it was the sharpest pain I’ve ever felt like 7/10 on pain scale. I lost weight and was severely dehydrated .”

leeshykeys · Taken for less than 1 month December 21, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I went in to the doc for a UTI and was prescribed Cipro. However after 4 days of taking that and experiencing side effects like severe headaches and fatigue, my lab results indicated I needed to take Macrobid instead. YAY! Another antibiotic to try. If that wasn't frustrating enough, it's only day TWO of Macribid and I'm suffering. I've been having some of the worst headaches of my life, and terrible nausea. I've lost a lot of my appetite and at times feel like I need to vomit. I've also also been overly emotional, weepy, and sad. I'm so upset I have to take this for several more days, especially during the holidays. But if it gets rid of this UTI, I guess it's worth it? I don't know... I'm going to drink as much water as I can and maybe take some ginger for the nausea to see if that helps.”

Girlwithinfection · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Overall this antibiotic Macrobid was good. It cleared up my infection in 3 days out of a 10 day treatment, I always ate a lot with it and took a probiotic and a yogurt right after taking it, and didn’t feel sick at all, it gave me a slight stomach ache but I could function and it was comfortable, until tonight where I am in bed with sharp abdominal pains and stomach ache, but it may be my fault cause I took it later than I usually do, otherwise it is good. Don’t be afraid to try it, I get sick on all medications and I get UTI's all the time and by far macrobid is the best.”