User Reviews for Macrobid

Learn more about Macrobid.

Prevention of Bladder infection 14 reviews 29 medications

6.3
Urinary Tract Infection 197 reviews 188 medications

4.9
Bladder Infection 109 reviews 82 medications

4.9
Summary of Macrobid reviews 320 reviews 5.4

Reviews for Macrobid

For Urinary Tract Infection "EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. I had a great experience with Macrobid. I am actually allergic to a few meds so I was relieved to have one for a mean UTI I got over the last few days. I actually started taking it Macrobid, 100MG twice daily for 7 days, BEFORE coming to this site to read the reviews. Firstly, it says to take it with food or milk, so many probably didn't follow those directions b/c it will give you nausea/vomiting if you don't. The only side effect I've had is drowsiness. But my doctor also prescribed me with metronidazole 500mg, taken twice daily WITH the Macrobid to offset symptoms that can bring on a yeast infection etc. I only get UTIs once or twice a year, but this one reared it's ugly head and Macrobid worked wonders for me."

K Monique (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Was diagnosed with a kidney infection last Friday and was prescribed MacroBID by the doctor...100mg four times a day. I have to say the side effects aren't great... I had vomiting on the Saturday evening and banging headaches the entire time I was taking them, however these eased with paracetamol and the main thing is the kidney infection felt a lot, lot better after 2 days. It's not the perfect drug but it's not horrendous."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Prescribed to me for a stubborn UTI, after Bactrim didn't seem to work. Took once a day for 10 days. Had no negative side effects, but didn't clear up my UTI either."

OneWithFrequentUTI's (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I am 66 yr. old and get a lot of UTI's after going on the bike, in the pool, and apparatus at the gym that causes friction in that area. I usually get ciproflaxcin, which doesn't affect me much. But, Macrobid, causes, stomach troubles, nausea, chest and lung problems, chills, fevers, dizziness, palpitations, headaches, and more. I didn't have time to say " no" to the walk in doc. who gave me this again, but, I will never, ever, use it again. I know it going to take another week, to get " semi- normal" again, but, this med takes me down every time."

EllyMay77 (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was given this medicine for the 2nd time yesterday. I have had it before no issues but this time not the case. I took my first dose at night and this morning my feet and hands are burning and itchy. I keep rubbing the bottom of my feet under my desk to see if it will stop. I am dizzy, headache and my pain is actually worse. I get UTIs all the time and usually use other meds but the CVS Minute clinic gives this one for some reason. I will NOT be taking anymore and will be going back to get a different medicine."

ChyHoney July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I took Macrobid a few months ago for my UTI. Worked great. No side effects. This time after getting a UTI again, I was prescribed Macrobid again but this time I'm getting all the side effects. Fever, chill, body aches, fatigue, nauseated.. etc etc. I will probably stop using it now. My UTI does feel a bit better though."

Mwwong (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "This is the third antibiotic in 2 weeks used for a UTI. Yes the drug has been effective in healing the infection. However. It would not be my 1st choice. I've had muscle pain in my legs and feet Exhaustion. Insomnia.grotesque nightmares. Weakness unsteadiness walking. Nausea dry mouth with a taste of metal in my mouth.."

H Rose (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Macrobid immediately helps get rid of my UTIs and I am prone to very bad ones because of some preexisting conditions. Once on a trip I happened to luckily have a spare one floating around in my toiletries that I took when I realized that I had developed a UTI and, in spite of not having a full regime, it still got rid of it. HOWEVER, I do have an EXTREME reaction to Macrobid. It gives me the most EXCRUCIATING body pains a couple hours after taking it. The best way that I can describe it is like acid in my veins or my nerves spasming nonstop. I vomit, cry, and can't even stand, bend, or roll over in bed without exacerbating the pain, making me nonfunctional. After about 2 hours it goes away but it is awful until then."

MorganHeidi June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I took this drug after being prescribed it for a UTI. I read some reviews after feeling a little weird but figured I would push through. I called my doctor after taking two pills and the nurse told me to wait it out and see if it gets worse. Things got worse very quick. What began as a little bit of nausea, ended with body aches, leg cramps, intense chills, night sweats, dizziness, confusion, to fainting twice (terrifying), to getting a vaginal infection because of this drug. My UTI symptoms have gotten better, but the pain from my VI is unbearable, and how I feel from this drug is terrible. NOT worth it...do not take this drug. P.S. I only got through taking FOUR pills, out of my prescribed ten. I am going to the doctor today, again.:("

Adele1995 June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "After having severe headache and vomiting with a sulfa drug, I was put on Macrobid for my UTI. I got a little headache after second dose, but popped a Tylenol. Also, made sure I took my pills with food. I was able to finish the full regimen and although the UTI took a bit longer to get kicked out, the Macrobid worked. It really wasn't bad at all to take. I have many food allergies, too, and was able to tolerate Macrobid pretty well."

Missalergies (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection "Works great, little side effects. I will get a little stomach upset if I don't take with food, which you should do. I am not sure why the reviews are bad unless you are allergic. My UTI symptoms start to disappear with one pill. Fast relief."

Angiehelp13 June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "The second I took my first pill instant relief! It took away the heavy pressure and by the 2nd one could go to the washroom normally. But itchy and thats ok I dealt with it"

lashgirl June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Awful medicine, the worst. The side effects outweigh the benefit. Headache the first night, leg and back pain, Sensitive skin, just awful. Pain got worse and worse. I changed my meds to ciproflaxcin. I have used this in the past so hopefully, it will continue to help. I even questioned the doc at urgent care to see if I can take cipro and she offered macrobid. Maybe this urgent care and this medication is something they get a deal on....stay away from macrobid."

Mirchi (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I get UTIs pretty frequently, so as soon as I felt the symptoms coming on I went to an urgent care. The first day of macrobid I got a headache. The second day I had severe headache, body aches, weakness and malaise. However, I thought it was just my illness, because I have never had an experience like this with medication before. Day 3, I am in hell and sicker than a dog. Severe headache, nausea, light headed, weak, fatigued. I called in for Bactrim. DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION. I get that not everyone has this reaction, but the risk is not worth it to me."

normalworkingwoman (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was scared out of my wits to take this antibiotic after reading these reviews but I am here to put your minds at ease. I'm highly allergic to penicillin & NSAIDs (Ibuprofen) so I have wicked medication anxiety when it comes to taking anything new. I had to take this for 5 days & I was warned when I received this medication that it would cause dizziness, nausea, upset stomach, and loose stools. Which is all I experienced with this pill. On the first day I had nausea, upset stomach, & diarrhea, the second day I had nausea & dizziness, on the 3rd day I had nausea, upset stomach, & diarrhea. The every other day of symptoms pattern continued the whole time I took this. Make sure you have a full stock of toilet paper at home. Pill tastes nasty"

M00000 June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I've been taking macrobid (well the generic version) for three days and I woke up this morning feeling AWFUL. I had a migraine all day yesterday but didn't really associate it with anything as I suffer from them often. This morning I woke up nauseous, dizzy and achy all over. I just took another dose and it occurred to me that the medication might be causing my symptoms so I looked it up and from all the reviews here it seems pretty common. I want my UTI to be cleared up but I don't want to continue feeling like this for four more days."

Albrowne (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Lack of sleep, problem sleeping, lying down then falling into a void Anxiety. Had NONE of these side affects before taking this medicine, I slept soundly before ...."

Cheryl 72 May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Avoid this medication AT ALL COSTS! Although it may not cause side effects for some, I was one of the many unlucky ones who experienced terrible problems. I have never had a problem with any antibiotics except Sulfa drugs before, but this medication left me nauseated, vomiting, dealing with chills for hours, shaking so hard I couldn't move, and with a terrible headache. I haven't taken a dose in 12 hours (with my doctor's suggestion), and the headache is just now going away. It took about 8 hours for the shaking to stop. At one point it was so bad that I thought I was going to have to go to the ER. I was only two doses in, as well. This was worse than the Sulfa reaction I had!"

Skathlee May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Interesting reading about the flu like symptoms after coming back from our holiday with a UTI. I started the pills on Monday and that night I had all the flu symptoms and it was horrible but never thought it was the antibiotics so thank you. I'm covered in a rash which isn't itchy thank goodness but wow it's everywhere. Only 5 days worth but it's working. Thanks for sharing."

Canadian gal May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Had abdominal discomfort, burning sensation, and blood after urination. Urgent care diagnosed me with an UTI. They prescribed this for me and after taking one pill my symptoms started to subside. I have only experienced slight headache but no other significant side affects. My urine however did turn a different kind of yellow but when looking at the packaging this is normal and doesn't warrant concern. Great antibiotic."

Katyrn313 April 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection "I was prescribed this medication after having symptoms for 1-2 days. I am not a pill taker. I was in between insurance so I had to go see a minute clinic provider. I was told the drug was highly effective and asked if I wanted to try it. I knew cipro worked in the past, but the prescriber seemed avid that this med would take cake if my symptoms. To no avail, I've had a horrible smell in my urine, a bout of leakage and now on day 4, my bladder and urinary tract burn & literally feels sore and swollen. This medicine is complete crap! I would have been healed by now had I been given the medication I requested in the first place! Now I am out 200 bucks and feel horrible and wondering if I have to go this all over again in 2 days..."

Suffering4 April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection "After being prescribed Monurol (a single dose, powder satchet antibiotic) for a pretty nasty Bladder Infection, I had to go back to the doctor because I was still in serious pain. My family doctor prescribed Macrobid, and after taking ONE dose, I started to have relief. I'm pretty sensitive to medications, I usually get the full list of side-effects; headache, nausea, diarrhoea, but with Macrobid, absolutely nothing-not even the weird possible "darkening of urine". Believe me, I'm a big baby, I'd whine about anything, this medication was amazing."

Lainezal (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Before your freak out thinking that you're gonna have the worst experience ever on this drug, don't! Most people who have good experiences don't come to these sites and write reviews, it's always the bad ones! I have terrible health anxiety and I'm sensitive to lots of drugs. I also had C diff 3 months ago (cured by at home Fecal Microbiota Transplantation) so taking an antibiotic again was pretty scary for me. The side effects I got were a slight headache and nausea for a couple hours after each pill, some gas but no other digestive issues (thank goodness!!!). I was feeling better on the 4th day and have one more day to go. Take it with bread to make it easier on your stomach."

Anonymous April 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Very good experience with some minor side effects.....minor and worth having rather than being in the hospital with a kidney infection! I read some of the reviews on here. I have health anxiety and a bit of hypochondria and I am afraid to take medications. I was hesitant to take this one as well after reading the reviews. Only side effects I felt was some mild diarrhea, headache, some muscle aches, fatigue, mild pelvic and side pain and chills (which could have been from the UTI rather than a side effect of the medication). Please take the bad reviews with a grain of salt. Everyone responds differently to medications and my experience was good with this. Don't take UTI's lightly as they can lead into more serious problems."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection "I have taken this medication tons of times and every time without side effects. It is the only thing I can take to take care of my UTIs. I took it off and on in the past for UTIs due to having 4 urether instead of two. Then I had to take it for 9 months while I was pregnant (one a day for prevention), never had a problem. Now years later, Just had a hysterectomy and had a UTI again. Asked for macrobid and within two days the pain is gone and I am getting better. Couldn't live without this medicine. I don't know what these people are talking about."

Knokke70 March 13, 2017