User Reviews for Macrobid

Macrobid Rating Summary

5.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 92 medications used in the treatment of Bladder Infection.

Reviews for Macrobid to treat Bladder Infection

"I normally get cephilex as a UTI med. This one time my doctor decided to try macrobid and it was a horrible experience. I had terrible upper stomach pain, weakness, shortness of breath, and anxiety. I immediately took two probiotic pills on day 2 which helped my stomach pain. Day three I was still very weak with mild stomach pain and anxiety. I also still had frequent urination. I call my doctor and had them order cephalexin. Macrobid is horrible and my doctor said half the people come back because it does not work. Never again will I take it!"

Anonymous April 17, 2018

"I'm 13 weeks pregnant and got my first UTI I have a medication phobia so I tried to cure it on my own big mistake after many break downs I finally took the first pill within 8 hours of taking it I was feeling so much better I'm on day 3 and all my UTI symptoms are gone I have not had one side effect yet to this medicine I wish I would have taken it sooner instead of suffering for a week I have multiple mediation allergies so to find one I can take was a miracle"

Patty April 15, 2018

"Not my usual medication as I have had bladder Infections on and off for 20 years plus. After the 1st tablet (twice a day slow release) I felt so ill. I was so sleepy & had headache to the point of I had to have a day off work. Didn't dare take another one. Ordinary Nitrofurantoin has worked fine for years but the Doc decided I could try something different. Thanks Doc you just cost me an extra prescription charge and a sick day from work. Fuming!!"

YorkielassUK (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2018

"I really had no issues at all taking this medication. I was prescribed 100mg twice a day and I take it with a serving of cheese. The day I started I had some loose bowels but nothing too bad. I'm now on day 5 and my bladder infection hasn't cleared. I am still getting episodes of burning and I have frequent urination."

Brenda (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2018

"I normally get all the bad side effects you can get with medications so I was very hesitant to try this. I have been on it for several days now and the only side effect I have encountered is extreme drowsiness following each dose. I have been able to sleep when I get tired, so this has not been an issue. In fact it’s been nice after suffering sleep deprivation with intense UTI symptoms. Within 6 hours after taking my first dose I saw significant improvement in symptoms, and after 2 doses, felt pretty much back to normal. I have had many UTI's in the past and this is the best med I’ve ever had. I’m truly in love!! If you haven’t tried it, I’d recommend at least giving it a chance!"

Autumn04 (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2018

"I had taken this drug once before and seemed ok, but this time I had a bad reaction....My first pill was ok no problem, but the second pill I thought I might have to call for help...I couldn't move off couch for 8 hours as I was weak, shivering, joint pain, bad headache and a few other things...Really scared me, and I will ask for something else next time."

dee (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2018

"Took ONE pill. Felt chest pains, nausea, and severe headache within an hour. It’s been nearly nine hours and I leave for vacation tomorrow. I am VERY disappointed in this medication and am hoping I wake up feeling better than I do now because this is hell on earth."

M (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2018

"I found macrobid super effective for treating my bladder infection. I noticed complete relief after one pill and like I had never gotten a bladder infection. I took the pill for seven days and my infection did not come back. I would recommend taking it with food or after you have eaten as my stomach was very minorly annoyed when I took a bit before breakfast in the morning."

Shelly February 22, 2018

"Had brand years ago for UTI & no problems but this generic is awful! It was prescribed due to a small number of leukocytes in my urine but my MD wasn't concerned about infection yet recommended I take it to be safe. Had zero symptoms whatsoever but took the 1st dose after a full breakfast... mid morning I was lightheaded with aching neck. By afternoon I had a dizzying headache, loss all energy, legs felt like noodles & got winded walking around the house. Night... barely could eat but took 2nd dose & prayed it wasn't the flu. Next day I woke up fine, but after breakfast... 3rd dose & was feeling flu like again but with intense cramping on & off the rest of the day (like ball up in a fetal position & just cry until it stops). I let my doc know I refused to take another capsule & left it at that. I've worked in pharmacy for 15 years & know not all manufacturers create their generic meds equally & these shouldn't be acceptable side effects."

Blacklisted this med! February 9, 2018

"About 30 minutes after taking the pill, I felt like I had the flu. (Feverish, chills, achy joints, terrible stomach pains, headache, heartburn and pure exhaustion.) Within the hour, I had to go to bed. I do have to say that I woke up the next day feeling great! I waited until I got to work because I didn't want to take the pill and drive. I spent the rest of the day at my desk feeling the same as the night before. When it was time to drive home I felt ok and the symptoms from my infection were clearly getting better. I'm now on day 4 and I've gotten into a routine that helps. I take the pill at 10pm after I've put my kids to bed and do what I have to do for the night so that I can go right to bed and skip feeling like crap all night. Then I take it again at 10am, about an hour or so after I get to work in the morning. I eat greek yogurt right before taking the pill and a few crackers or a nutrigrain bar right after and that has definitely helped with the stomach cramps and heartburn!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2018

"Worked great for me and I did not notice a single bad reaction at all. I was pretty surprised to read all these terrible reviews. Painful and frequent urination eased about 24 hours after my first dose. 72 hours after my first dose I started to feel back to normal and now I'm 6 days in and feel completely normal! UTI's are so annoying and inconvenient. AZO was doing nothing for me and I was hardly sleeping at night. After 2 days of being miserable I had enough and called my dr first thing Monday. I think most people leave a review when it's really bad but I'm sure there are a ton more like me like that didn't think twice about writing a review because they're back to living their lives without having to urinate every 5 minutes."

Blessedtobeamomma January 27, 2018

"Have just started these meds and they can't make me feel any worse than what I do. I already have aches, shivers, fever all the symptoms of bladder infection. Have scored a 5 as don't know how well they will work."

Rach2454242424 January 26, 2018

"The best antibiotic I've ever taken. On the first dose I could actually feel it working. I experienced no adverse side effects and would take it again."

Blue stethoscope (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2018

"I was prescribed Macrobid for my UTI and two hours after my first dose, I was in full blown fever mode. Achy, chills, headache, ears burning and anxiety. Constant shivering is too much. I am on my second day and am truly thinking I'm dying. I called the pharmacist and he said it's not an allergic reaction. These are the symptoms. I can't believe that they're allowed to prescribe this. It should be banned. I'm not throwing up, but if that starts, I'm stopping this horrible medication. Please don't take this medication. This is utterly awful ."

TorontoMom (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2018

"I am into my fourth day now with this drug, eight capsules, to date. I have had bad reactions to certain drugs and I was a little apprehensive about side effects that I may incur after reading the reviews posted on this site. To date I have not experienced any that bother me to any extent. I have given them a score of eight because I cannot at this time say for sure that they are doing me any good."

Shick (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2017

"Worked great for me. Minimal side effects and worked fast!"

bthroop (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2017

"I seriously don’t get what these people are talking about. These bad reviews must be fake. I'm not saying that it isn’t possible to have bad side-effects, but it’s pretty rare. I’m on day 2 of my 5 days. 100mg PO q12hr for 5 days. Doing just fine."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2017

"I was prescribed Macrobid this past Friday. It is now Monday and nothing has changed. I actually feel worse than I did the day I went to the DR for this UTI. He said that I only had a small infection, nothing bad but I feel terrible. The pinching and pressure on my bladder is just horrible. I get more relief from AZO pills OTC. Those things are a miracle drug for me, even though I have to take them with food. If I don't take the AZO with food, they make me terribly sick so if anyone decides to take those instead of this to make the UTI/bladder pains subside please try them with food. I haven't noticed any bad side effects from the Macrobid other than maybe dizziness. Its not been real bad either, just a little bit."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2017

"After two 100mg doses of Macrobid in 15 hrs my UTI symptoms such as a non fully empty bladder and a pinching pressure on my bladder with more urine coming out. Still many trips but all the urine comes out for the most without discomfort. Side effect: headache each time I took a dose. Still within the 24 hour mark but noticable improvement"

Gail7877 (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2017

"After having six UTIs in about 5 months, my urogyn put me on 100 mg. of Macrobid (one every night). After ten solid months of it, I spent 2-1/2 days in the hospital: thought I was having a heart attack! Turned out it was a pulmonary problem. Heavy pressure in the chest, shortness of breath and tingling around the lips. Going back and researching Macrobid, I found out that indeed, long term usage can cause pulmonary problems. I do think if works for short term usage."

Be careful ! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 24, 2017

"I started taking the medication first day was okay. The second day I don't know what happen but I started getting a fever then chills it gets worse. I couldn't eat, body hurt so bad, tossing and turning. Not to mention that I lost ALL appetite to eat and that was yesterday ! I'm awake now with still a killer headache, can't sleep. My stomach hurts and I'm heading to the doctor cause ... the medication just isn't for me if its making me feel worse than when had the bladder infection."

Cynthiaks August 14, 2017

"Please please please don't use this drug! Was put on it for a bladder infection that I didn't even know I had and have been nothing but miserable. When I first started taking it 100 mg twice a day I noticed that I had severe nausea even though I took it with food. Then body pains and head pains came. My head would feel so heavy that I could barely hold it up and my ears felt as if they were full of fluid. Then came the vision problems and trouble balancing and basically walking. I had to take time off work because I have been have a mental breakdown because of this drug. I am constantly crying or in full on panic attacks, I feel like any day could be my last. Please don't take this pill its not worth it! I'm praying this won't be forever."

shadoow012 (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

"Works great, little side effects. I will get a little stomach upset if I don't take with food, which you should do. I am not sure why the reviews are bad unless you are allergic. My UTI symptoms start to disappear with one pill. Fast relief."

Angiehelp13 June 9, 2017

"I was prescribed this medication after having symptoms for 1-2 days. I am not a pill taker. I was in between insurance so I had to go see a minute clinic provider. I was told the drug was highly effective and asked if I wanted to try it. I knew cipro worked in the past, but the prescriber seemed avid that this med would take cake if my symptoms. To no avail, I've had a horrible smell in my urine, a bout of leakage and now on day 4, my bladder and urinary tract burn & literally feels sore and swollen. This medicine is complete crap! I would have been healed by now had I been given the medication I requested in the first place! Now I am out 200 bucks and feel horrible and wondering if I have to go this all over again in 2 days..."

Suffering4 April 23, 2017

"After being prescribed Monurol (a single dose, powder satchet antibiotic) for a pretty nasty Bladder Infection, I had to go back to the doctor because I was still in serious pain. My family doctor prescribed Macrobid, and after taking ONE dose, I started to have relief. I'm pretty sensitive to medications, I usually get the full list of side-effects; headache, nausea, diarrhoea, but with Macrobid, absolutely nothing-not even the weird possible "darkening of urine". Believe me, I'm a big baby, I'd whine about anything, this medication was amazing."

Lainezal (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017