User Reviews for Macrobid to treat Bladder Infection

Macrobid has an average rating of 4.9 out of 10 from a total of 182 ratings for the treatment of Bladder Infection. 34% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 45% reported a negative effect.

Macrobid Rating Summary

4.9/10 average rating

Compare all 65 medications used in the treatment of Bladder Infection.

Reviews for Macrobid

Deb July 4, 2021

“The first few days after taking Macrobid the symptoms weren’t too bad, I was experiencing a little stomach problems, diarrhea mainly. About day three on I got really sick, really bad nausea and upper belly ache, pounding headaches, felt lightheaded. I couldn’t function, had to lay down and rest all of the time. I realized I was halfway through the dosage and thought I could tough it out, but had to stop at day six, (7 day dosage). This is now day 7, and I haven’t taken any medication but still have strong symptoms, hopefully will reside soon. I will never take this medication again, I felt like my body was being poisoned.”

BirdG May 26, 2021

“I was prescribed Macrobid 100mg dose every 12 hours for 7 days. I have never been sensitive to antibiotics and can take (amoxicillin, Cipro, penicillin, Zpak are fine). But this antibiotic made me miserable. The morning after my first dose I had a terrible headache that lasted the whole time I was on the drug. I had to take Motrin for the headaches. I was so nauseas I threw up several times, even when I took food with the Macrobid. By the third day I was so weak I could barely get out of bed. The nausea was severe I could not eat. I literally forced a piece of bread down when I took the pill. I was sleepy and confused and not even alert enough to do my work. I finally called on the 5th day to ask my doctor to prescribe me something for the horrible nausea, and he told me to stop taking the Macrobid. The only plus of this medicine was that it took my infection away, but I'd never take it again. I'm 5'3 and 125 pounds.”

Lpa · Taken for less than 1 month May 9, 2021

“I’ve taken Macrobid twice for bladder infections. Both times I finished the antibiotics and ended up back at the doctor worse than when I started taking it. Both times it had moved to my kidneys. Both times I was given Bactrim for the second round. After two pills I was so much better. Urologist said Bactrim is the way to go. Not sure why so many other antibiotics are given first.”

Alegna November 11, 2018

“MOST reviews on the internet are going to be more negative than positive. If you had a bad experience your more likely to share than if the experience was fine. There are thousands of people using these meds everyday and they are fine so you never read about it. Let me reassure you it worked just fine. I always ate food WITH it, and drank lots of water and took a daily probiotic. I had a mild headache the 2nd day, and a little stomach cramps/loose stools by the 4th day, but nothing that major. It took 4 days for my UTI symptoms to go away and by the last day, day 7, back to normal. Some of the negative symptoms people describe are also the same symptoms you get when your UTI gets advanced or worse..not every antibiotic will work for every infection. Not necessarily a bad reaction, just not working. This med has been around for 50+years, and targets your urinary tract. It gets filtered thru your kidneys and gets right to the source. Don’t be afraid, if your doc thinks you need it.”

Gallifreyel · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2020

“I was prescribed 5 days worth of 100Mg Macrobid for a UTI. It was working, but very slowly. It did not clear up my UTI, and it got worse again. I talked to a friend who had been prescribed it multiple times, and it never works for her and caused a kidney infection due to its impotency. I read online that it doesn't work for older women, but we are in our early 20's, so it's not just older women. I do not recommend Macrobid especially after reading all of these other reviews. If you get prescribed it, do yourself a favor, and ask for something else.”

Mia February 20, 2020

“I have taken Macrobid many many times. I have never had any side effects and it clears up immediately. Mind you, I take myself to the clinic the moment I know I have a UTI which is typically cramping and pressure in my lower abdomen followed by issues urinating. I only ever get these symptoms after intercourse when I do not relieve myself almost immediately. I've never gone over 24hours with symptoms and not had Macrobid prescribed. It's a life safer.”

taylorelle · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2019

“I was geniunley terrified to take these tablets after reading the reviews and having an extreme phobia of being sick. I have just completed my course and I wish I never read them as I was absolutely fine and was worried over nothing the entire time. Within a day I felt so much better with my infection! Whenever I took a tablet I drank 2 pints of water, just to be safe, and ate a couple of slices of bread which seemed to work. The only side effect I had was slightly loose stool for the first day or so. I had to take 2 slow releasing tablets a day for 7 days. Don't pay attention to the reviews as it'll be different for everyone!”

Dizzy but UTI better · Taken for less than 1 month March 2, 2020

“The first three days I took 100 mg generic Macrobid twice a day with large meals because it was causing mild queasiness. UTI symptoms subsided. On the 4th day I took with a small breakfast and experienced dizziness and heart pressure. I called the doctor who said that I was on it long enough and to stop. A decade or more ago I took Cipro with no side effects for UTI but now they say Macrobid is better due to antibiotic resistance and targeting UTIs specifically. The dizziness and heart pressure side effects were enough to make me stop and re-consider ever being on this medicine in the future.”

gotsuzuki · Taken for less than 1 month September 24, 2016

“I am finding it VERY hard to believe these bad reviews of Macrobid.Im thinking these are the apple cider vinegar, D-Mannose and cranberry juice people, NONE of which cure UTIs. I have been battling reccurent and/or relapsing UTI's for a few years, despite being celibate. Up until now Bactrim worked, yes, it gave me a headache and made my heart race, but it worked. Then I tried monurol worked a few times, expensive beyond, then stopped. yesterday I tried Macrobid first time..no side effects. Had I listened to these reviews, I would have killed myself before taking it.. It seems to be working. It doesnt kill your gut flora Its considered one of the SAFEST of the UTI drugs. All I can say is do not be afraid to try it!!”

Mel · Taken for less than 1 month October 24, 2020

“Just taken four Macrobid tablets over two days. Had a headache yesterday and felt sick this morning. Worst issue is it’s made me pee more and I’m having to rush to the loo at the last minute as the urge comes on suddenly. Good news is the strange tingling feeling has gone when I pee and it’s no longer painful.”

Rev · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

“This is the second time I've used Macrobid and I've concluded it does not work for me. With other antibiotics, I've gotten relief from UTIs within hours. Not with this stuff. I'm on day 3 and my symptoms keep returning along with nausea and diarrhea. I can't wait to get some Bactrim”

Marge · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2021

“I am halfway through my 5 day script and I have had minimal side effects. My UTI symptoms are improving so I have less discomfort when I pee. I have noticed a little dizziness at times or a bit of nausea but nothing that stays with me.”

Lydia · Taken for less than 1 month December 16, 2019

“I had a pretty bad UTI so went to urgent care to get some relief. They prescribed this drug macrobid 100mg x 2 for 5 days. I’m very sensitive to medications. Within 2 doses my constant urge to pee was gone. By the 3rd dose the burning was gone. I’m ending out my 4th day and 8th dose feeling completely better. The drug does cause some drowsiness and I have been dizzy as well, which I got after my first dose. I’ve also had some diarrhea but not too much. After my 8th dose tonight I do feel a little bit queasy.... but all antibiotics have some side effects. I’ll keep taking it. Cipro and Bactrim made me feel way worse.”

Amyschmamey · Taken for less than 1 month November 24, 2019

“I am on day 2 of the medication nitrofurantoin for a bladder infection. Bactrim never works for my UTIs, Cipro makes me hallucinate, so the doctor prescribed Macrobid. All symptoms of UTI are gone. I do have some nausea, bloating, loose stool, even with probiotics, but all the side effects are so much better than having a UTI. I hope the rest of my treatment course stays like this. Bottom line, this medication has been effective and I would take it again for my UTIs.”

Kik August 16, 2020

“I read so many reviews before taking Macrobid because that’s just what I do before any medication. I was terrified to take this med after reading so I clinched after every pill. I was given 100mg to be taken twice daily for 7 days but on the 4th day I felt beating on my kidneys, almost like someone had a drum set in there. Since I know that 4 days of treatment is what some people are actually prescribed I instantly stopped taking them. The worst side effect I had was headaches and fatigue and the kidney thing.”

MadWoman · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2019

“If I could give macorbid a score of a negative 1 million I would! Because of this antibiotic I have been sick for 4 days. Had to take a trip to the ER and had 2 bags of IV fluids put in me and a chest x ray. All for a simple bladder infection. As soon as I took the first pill I was instantly sick. I ended up taking 3 of my doses and stopped. I have chest pain, nausea, headaches and very tired. Bladder infection gone in 24 hours but I’m sick as a dog. I’m so angry this pill was prescribed to me. By the looks of it I don't think it should be on the market!!! Do not take! Drink some cranberry juice.”

TPRN · Taken for less than 1 month July 7, 2019

“This medicine caused severe lung problems after taking 2 doses. I became septic and was hospitalized for 4 days. I am a nurse and have never been sick in my life. It did clear up my UTI but the respiratory complications nearly killed me! I wish they would pull this dangerous drug off the market.”

Lulu · Taken for less than 1 month December 6, 2019

“I was prescribed this medication due to a kidney infection. I must say by the second day of taking the medication I was able to void (pee). The lower back pains subside a little I was elated that I was able to move. I advice to always eat first before taking any antibiotics it could be a little harsh on your stomach. I will definitely take this medication again. Keep in mind that every medication has a side effect everyone tolerate medication very differently. Give the medication some time to work you can also take two Tylenol with your antibiotics to avoid headaches. Feel better soon everyone”

OBXbride October 1, 2019

“Macrobid DOES help a lot of people with no issues at all. I happened to be one of the people that had a bad reaction, but that’s MY experience. I had to stop taking the medication after the 2nd dose because I quickly had severe pain and burning in my legs. It was so severe it lasted for weeks. I was scared it would never go away. But it did. I was put on a different antibiotic and I was fine. I probably had a rare allergic reaction to it since the severe pain and burning happened so quickly after starting the medication. Don’t let the rare reactions keep you from taking a medication you need, because most people are fine on this.”

Danielle_3456 February 10, 2017

“Both extremes of Macrobid are accurate. I've had a lot of UTIs- to the point of having Macrobid prescribed with refills as needed. I never experienced any symptoms and this stuff was like a miracle. Took 24 hrs to kick in and felt great. I didn't get a UTI for 2 years and then just got one. I took Macrobid and it has made me feel horrible! I feel weak, have no energy, am always dizzy, have headaches, diarrhea, bad pain around my lymph nodes and always feel like I need to throw up. Fortunately I'm a sahm (stay at home mom) so I'm able to deal with it at home, but I had to have someone take my child to school because I couldn't get out of bed! Also it feels like it hasn't completely started working. So it can be great and horrible, even with the same person!”

Knokke70 March 13, 2017

“I have taken this medication tons of times and every time without side effects. It is the only thing I can take to take care of my UTIs. I took it off and on in the past for UTIs due to having 4 urether instead of two. Then I had to take it for 9 months while I was pregnant (one a day for prevention), never had a problem. Now years later, Just had a hysterectomy and had a UTI again. Asked for macrobid and within two days the pain is gone and I am getting better. Couldn't live without this medicine. I don't know what these people are talking about.”

Gee · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2019

“Worst antibiotic I've ever taken. I went to a walk in clinic as I had back pain. They did a urine sample and said that I appear to have a low level UTI (even though had no other symptoms) and I was prescribed macrobid 100mg 2 x a day for 3 days. I noticed one day in that my skin felt a little tingly but thought I was just being weird. The end of the second day, I got this horrible joint pain (knees, bottom and elbows) that was so heavy and uncomfortable that I didn't take my final pill (I read about others side effects that they experienced). One day off them and my joints seem to be a bit better, but it's like when one symptom subsides, another arises. When I stand, its like I can feel the blood rush to my feet and my skin in my abdomen area becomes itchy! I will NEVER take this again and I hope that these side effects go away soon. Not impressed.”

Lainezal · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2017

“After being prescribed Monurol (a single dose, powder satchet antibiotic) for a pretty nasty Bladder Infection, I had to go back to the doctor because I was still in serious pain. My family doctor prescribed Macrobid, and after taking ONE dose, I started to have relief. I'm pretty sensitive to medications, I usually get the full list of side-effects; headache, nausea, diarrhoea, but with Macrobid, absolutely nothing-not even the weird possible "darkening of urine". Believe me, I'm a big baby, I'd whine about anything, this medication was amazing.”

Dee · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2019

“No problems whatsoever. I'm on day 3 and most of my pain is gone. It didn't work as quickly for me as it did for others here, but I must have a bad bladder infection. Eat with the pill. Take it in a timely fashion. Remember that every symptom is not a result of the antibiotic”

NannyBooBoo · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2015

“I was prescribed this based on my symptoms and prior to the lab results coming back. My first dose was at 7 pm and the second at 7 am. By lunch the blood in my urine was gone and the pains were subsiding. I took as scheduled with no side effects and when my cultures came back it was confirmed a bladder infection. This medicine is fantastic.”

SaintGalahad · Taken for less than 1 month September 8, 2019

“I hated using Macorbid. It gave me ugly stomach cramps and headaches. I’m 26 weeks pregnant and it was either take this, or Bactrim. I was not about to take Bactrim. My UTI is gone, but I had to deal with a week of upper abdominal pain, headaches, and just an overwhelming sense of feeling like absolute garbage. Thankfully none of it went to my baby girl. That’s the only positive of this medicine, it goes straight to your urinary system.”

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month November 5, 2019

“Going thru the reviews . Sounds like most of them are just on the wrong antibiotic. Nausea, fever, chills etc are also signs of a bad kidney infection. Not saying they are all like that, but some of them could be. ”

Anonymous February 13, 2015

“After reading the reviews of Macrobid, I was terrified to take it. As a person with severe acid reflux and irritable bowel syndrome, I was scared that I would have all these terrible experiences that people were describing. However, all of my doses were taken with a COMPLETE meal and I did not suffer from any side effects except for a slight headache.”