User Reviews for Macrobid

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Macrobid.

Macrobid Rating Summary

5.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 92 medications used in the treatment of Bladder Infection.

Reviews for Macrobid to treat Bladder Infection

"Had brand years ago for UTI & no problems but this generic is awful! It was prescribed due to a small number of leukocytes in my urine but my MD wasn't concerned about infection yet recommended I take it to be safe. Had zero symptoms whatsoever but took the 1st dose after a full breakfast... mid morning I was lightheaded with aching neck. By afternoon I had a dizzying headache, loss all energy, legs felt like noodles & got winded walking around the house. Night... barely could eat but took 2nd dose & prayed it wasn't the flu. Next day I woke up fine, but after breakfast... 3rd dose & was feeling flu like again but with intense cramping on & off the rest of the day (like ball up in a fetal position & just cry until it stops). I let my doc know I refused to take another capsule & left it at that. I've worked in pharmacy for 15 years & know not all manufacturers create their generic meds equally & these shouldn't be acceptable side effects."

Blacklisted this med! February 9, 2018

"About 30 minutes after taking the pill, I felt like I had the flu. (Feverish, chills, achy joints, terrible stomach pains, headache, heartburn and pure exhaustion.) Within the hour, I had to go to bed. I do have to say that I woke up the next day feeling great! I waited until I got to work because I didn't want to take the pill and drive. I spent the rest of the day at my desk feeling the same as the night before. When it was time to drive home I felt ok and the symptoms from my infection were clearly getting better. I'm now on day 4 and I've gotten into a routine that helps. I take the pill at 10pm after I've put my kids to bed and do what I have to do for the night so that I can go right to bed and skip feeling like crap all night. Then I take it again at 10am, about an hour or so after I get to work in the morning. I eat greek yogurt right before taking the pill and a few crackers or a nutrigrain bar right after and that has definitely helped with the stomach cramps and heartburn!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2018

"Worked great for me and I did not notice a single bad reaction at all. I was pretty surprised to read all these terrible reviews. Painful and frequent urination eased about 24 hours after my first dose. 72 hours after my first dose I started to feel back to normal and now I'm 6 days in and feel completely normal! UTI's are so annoying and inconvenient. AZO was doing nothing for me and I was hardly sleeping at night. After 2 days of being miserable I had enough and called my dr first thing Monday. I think most people leave a review when it's really bad but I'm sure there are a ton more like me like that didn't think twice about writing a review because they're back to living their lives without having to urinate every 5 minutes."

Blessedtobeamomma January 27, 2018

"Have just started these meds and they can't make me feel any worse than what I do. I already have aches, shivers, fever all the symptoms of bladder infection. Have scored a 5 as don't know how well they will work."

Rach2454242424 January 26, 2018

"The best antibiotic I've ever taken. On the first dose I could actually feel it working. I experienced no adverse side effects and would take it again."

Blue stethoscope (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2018

"I was prescribed Macrobid for my UTI and two hours after my first dose, I was in full blown fever mode. Achy, chills, headache, ears burning and anxiety. Constant shivering is too much. I am on my second day and am truly thinking I'm dying. I called the pharmacist and he said it's not an allergic reaction. These are the symptoms. I can't believe that they're allowed to prescribe this. It should be banned. I'm not throwing up, but if that starts, I'm stopping this horrible medication. Please don't take this medication. This is utterly awful ."

TorontoMom (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2018

"I am into my fourth day now with this drug, eight capsules, to date. I have had bad reactions to certain drugs and I was a little apprehensive about side effects that I may incur after reading the reviews posted on this site. To date I have not experienced any that bother me to any extent. I have given them a score of eight because I cannot at this time say for sure that they are doing me any good."

Shick (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2017

"Worked great for me. Minimal side effects and worked fast!"

bthroop (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2017

"I seriously don’t get what these people are talking about. These bad reviews must be fake. I'm not saying that it isn’t possible to have bad side-effects, but it’s pretty rare. I’m on day 2 of my 5 days. 100mg PO q12hr for 5 days. Doing just fine."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2017

"I was prescribed Macrobid this past Friday. It is now Monday and nothing has changed. I actually feel worse than I did the day I went to the DR for this UTI. He said that I only had a small infection, nothing bad but I feel terrible. The pinching and pressure on my bladder is just horrible. I get more relief from AZO pills OTC. Those things are a miracle drug for me, even though I have to take them with food. If I don't take the AZO with food, they make me terribly sick so if anyone decides to take those instead of this to make the UTI/bladder pains subside please try them with food. I haven't noticed any bad side effects from the Macrobid other than maybe dizziness. Its not been real bad either, just a little bit."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2017

"After two 100mg doses of Macrobid in 15 hrs my UTI symptoms such as a non fully empty bladder and a pinching pressure on my bladder with more urine coming out. Still many trips but all the urine comes out for the most without discomfort. Side effect: headache each time I took a dose. Still within the 24 hour mark but noticable improvement"

Gail7877 (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2017

"After having six UTIs in about 5 months, my urogyn put me on 100 mg. of Macrobid (one every night). After ten solid months of it, I spent 2-1/2 days in the hospital: thought I was having a heart attack! Turned out it was a pulmonary problem. Heavy pressure in the chest, shortness of breath and tingling around the lips. Going back and researching Macrobid, I found out that indeed, long term usage can cause pulmonary problems. I do think if works for short term usage."

Be careful ! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 24, 2017

"I started taking the medication first day was okay. The second day I don't know what happen but I started getting a fever then chills it gets worse. I couldn't eat, body hurt so bad, tossing and turning. Not to mention that I lost ALL appetite to eat and that was yesterday ! I'm awake now with still a killer headache, can't sleep. My stomach hurts and I'm heading to the doctor cause ... the medication just isn't for me if its making me feel worse than when had the bladder infection."

Cynthiaks August 14, 2017

"Please please please don't use this drug! Was put on it for a bladder infection that I didn't even know I had and have been nothing but miserable. When I first started taking it 100 mg twice a day I noticed that I had severe nausea even though I took it with food. Then body pains and head pains came. My head would feel so heavy that I could barely hold it up and my ears felt as if they were full of fluid. Then came the vision problems and trouble balancing and basically walking. I had to take time off work because I have been have a mental breakdown because of this drug. I am constantly crying or in full on panic attacks, I feel like any day could be my last. Please don't take this pill its not worth it! I'm praying this won't be forever."

shadoow012 (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

"Works great, little side effects. I will get a little stomach upset if I don't take with food, which you should do. I am not sure why the reviews are bad unless you are allergic. My UTI symptoms start to disappear with one pill. Fast relief."

Angiehelp13 June 9, 2017

"I was prescribed this medication after having symptoms for 1-2 days. I am not a pill taker. I was in between insurance so I had to go see a minute clinic provider. I was told the drug was highly effective and asked if I wanted to try it. I knew cipro worked in the past, but the prescriber seemed avid that this med would take cake if my symptoms. To no avail, I've had a horrible smell in my urine, a bout of leakage and now on day 4, my bladder and urinary tract burn & literally feels sore and swollen. This medicine is complete crap! I would have been healed by now had I been given the medication I requested in the first place! Now I am out 200 bucks and feel horrible and wondering if I have to go this all over again in 2 days..."

Suffering4 April 23, 2017

"After being prescribed Monurol (a single dose, powder satchet antibiotic) for a pretty nasty Bladder Infection, I had to go back to the doctor because I was still in serious pain. My family doctor prescribed Macrobid, and after taking ONE dose, I started to have relief. I'm pretty sensitive to medications, I usually get the full list of side-effects; headache, nausea, diarrhoea, but with Macrobid, absolutely nothing-not even the weird possible "darkening of urine". Believe me, I'm a big baby, I'd whine about anything, this medication was amazing."

Lainezal (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

"I have taken this medication tons of times and every time without side effects. It is the only thing I can take to take care of my UTIs. I took it off and on in the past for UTIs due to having 4 urether instead of two. Then I had to take it for 9 months while I was pregnant (one a day for prevention), never had a problem. Now years later, Just had a hysterectomy and had a UTI again. Asked for macrobid and within two days the pain is gone and I am getting better. Couldn't live without this medicine. I don't know what these people are talking about."

Knokke70 March 13, 2017

"Both extremes of Macrobid are accurate. I've had a lot of UTIs- to the point of having Macrobid prescribed with refills as needed. I never experienced any symptoms and this stuff was like a miracle. Took 24 hrs to kick in and felt great. I didn't get a UTI for 2 years and then just got one. I took Macrobid and it has made me feel horrible! I feel weak, have no energy, am always dizzy, have headaches, diarrhea, bad pain around my lymph nodes and always feel like I need to throw up. Fortunately I'm a sahm (stay at home mom) so I'm able to deal with it at home, but I had to have someone take my child to school because I couldn't get out of bed! Also it feels like it hasn't completely started working. So it can be great and horrible, even with the same person!"

Danielle_3456 February 10, 2017

"I was prescribed Macrobid for a UTI. Within 12 hours of my first dose, I had extreme body and muscle pain from my ankles to my shoulders. I am 100% aware that many people can take Macrobid and be fine, I'm just relieved to read that some other people went through what I did for the simple fact that I thought I was dying! The morning after I started taking the meds, even my lungs felt bruised. I was too weak to hardly even walk. I returned to the doctor and totally thought they would hospitalize me. He wrote me a new script and sent me home. My mother and husband took turns taking care of me until I stopped vomiting and writhing in pain, which in total took days. I couldn't eat and even couldn't take care of my small children for two days."

Freaked out! (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2017

"I came off the drug two weeks ago but still feel ill. I'm dragging myself around and feel confused, tired and full of aches and pains. I am normally a very fit person who loves to swim and walk. This drug needs to be banned if others can be used without the dreadful and long lasting side effects. I read I could now have liver damage."

Mammaroo (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

"Brilliant. Day 3 of taking microbid and UTI cleared up. Still 4 more days to go. Very happy."

Zen1 (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2017

"I have a history of UTIs and kidney infections because my urethra is abnormal. However, with every UTI, i have been prescribed several different antibiotics. None that are accompanied by side effects but every person is different. With every UTI I have had, I have always experienced head ache, nausea, body aches and fever. All went away with the UTI. When I asked my doctor, he said the antibiotics take between 48 and 72 hours to start taking effect on your body. You may be experiencing some effects of your infection."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016

"The side effects. Today I went to the Dr with symptoms of cloudy urine and frequent urination. I was diagnosed with a bladder infection and I was prescribed Macrobid, 2x po daily for 5 days. I've taken this medication before for a UTI and I was fine, but for some reason, I took this pill 2 hours ago and already I feel the sensation to gag every time a breathe in. This kind of nausea feels detestable. I'm so uncomfortable. I also got severe back pain and tight chest out of nowhere. I can't believe this."

i pray it works despite December 19, 2016

"So I just had a breast reduction 3 weeks ago, & two weeks into the healing process I got my 1st UTI. I consulted friends of the pain after urinating & they suggested lots of water & cranberry juice which didn't do much at all. A few days later after consuming all that liquid my kidneys started throbbing. I couldn't take it, & went to the doctors. They prescribed me Microbid. I'm currently on day 3, twice a day with food. I've experienced fevers, chills, constant abdominal & kidney pains to the point of tears. Only thing that's stopped hurting is going to the washroom. I'm on this medication for 4 more days & hoping I recover soon. My body's under enough stress with the reduction/infection so I'm hoping that this med will clear the UTI up"

Athenaxo December 7, 2016