User Reviews for Macrobid

Learn more about Macrobid.

Macrobid Rating Summary

4.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 92 medications used in the treatment of Bladder Infection.

Reviews for Macrobid to treat Bladder Infection

"I'm on day 2, so I have taken 4 pills and I feel absolutely horrible nausea. I have aches all over like the flu and pains in my stomach, sharp ones. I can barely keep my head up. I am stopping them and going back to the doctor tomorrow. I have never felt so bad, also very explosive diarrhea. I'm thinking of going to the hospital. I feel as if I have been poisoned."

Heidila July 18, 2016

"After reading a lot of bad reviews I was hesitant to use macrobid as a treatment for a pretty severe bladder infection. However, I didn't experience many of the side effects that I read about. Although it did make me rather fatigued, I made sure to drink lots of water and took my pills with a nice healthy meal! I also took my 100mg pills twice a day at the exact same time as to get my body on a routine. Almost 3 days off of it and feeling back to 100%! Would have no problem using this antibiotic again!"

Vicky__ July 8, 2016

"Lower back pain gone after 1st day of this medicine. Nausea is horrible - taking phenegran to offset nausea. I'm lethargic and resting. This stuff must be strong - but I'd take bed rest and nausea over a knife in my back anyway!!! I'm on 2X daily WITH FOOD for 5 days. I'm on day 3."

Amy Aggie (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2016

"Recurring infection and two courses of different medications prior to macro bid. It started working in 24hrs but did have headache and visual episode, plus dizzy spell over course of five days. Relief of the infection outweighs side effects."

Jcbumps June 23, 2016

"Prescribed for a UTI. Long story short I thought there was something seriously wrong with me. Sever body aches, joint pain, back, chest, fever up to 101.7, major chills, headache, anxious, depressed, crying, irritable, FATIGUE, weakness, night sweats, tight jaw, the list goes on and on. This medication is dangerous and I'm glad I stumbled across this site because I thought I was going crazy. I have 1 more day of this horrible medication and I'll stick it out because I don't want to have to take anymore antibiotics. 100mg 2x a day for 7 days"

No no no more June 6, 2016

"I took this twice a day for 5 days. Cleared my infection but made me tired, hot, and had shortness of breath the whole time. Had nausea the first two days but that went away. Allergic to sulfa and several other drugs so this was prescribed. While it worked, I don't think I would ASK for this again."

Sterling2001 May 22, 2016

"This medication was prescribed to me for a bladder infection. After I took the second dose I woke in the middle of the night with the worst headache I've ever had in my whole life! I literally thought I might have to go into see the doctor. After it subsided I read all the reviews I could about this medication and it side effects. It seemed as though it was starting to work for my bladder infection but the terrible side effects were not worth it. I called my doctor and they prescribed Cipro instead. It took care of my infection with no side effects."

Jor Ethra April 17, 2016

"I was prescribed Macro bid for a bladder infection. After I took the 2nd pill, I got severe shortness of breath, chest pain, high fever and diarrhea. Although not as bad as the first day, the symptoms continued into the second day of taking them. On the 3rd day, out of the blue, my vision was blurred/impeded by what I can only describe as bursts of light/sunbursts for about 20 minutes followed by severe headache and fatigue. Very scary! My bladder feels a bit better so I decided to stop the medication after only 3 days. Will ask the doctor for something else with less side effects if it continues."

macronot March 31, 2016

"I was prescribed Macrobid for a bladder infection. By 3rd day in med I developed a horrible dry cough. I stopped taking at that point. I am now on another antibiotic for an upper respiratory infection. I will be sure to never take Macrobid again"

lmbwife (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2016

"I've taken Macrobid in the past, but I never noticed any side effects. This time, I felt very ill about two days in to a seven day regime. I had no idea what was wrong with me. My tongue felt numb, I got very lightheaded, and I felt like my life was draining out of me. I thought maybe I was developing a kidney infection, but I only had a low grade fever. I called my doctor, but she told me to only come in if my fever went over 100.5. I decided to see if Macrobid could have caused these symptoms and I stumbled across theses reviews. Wow! What an eye opener! I'm glad to know that it was the medicine and not some life-threatening illness. I'm glad the UTI is better, but it was scary when I thought I was about to die, lol."

Becky C (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

"Felt suddenly spaced-out, sat down at my work desk and passed out. Luckily I was already in a hospital. A friend took this med and also passed out. She wasn't so lucky. She fell and suffered a concussion."

Graddo February 26, 2016

"symptoms: SEVERE abdominal pain, constipation, nausea, achey pain in back, fatigue, chills, sweating, headache, cough. i just finishd my last dose of macrobid and I believe it cleared up my UTI but these side effects are not worth it. The abdominal pain I have been having is so bad that it has woken me up from my sleep 3 nights in a row. I have the chills and because of the abdominal pain it is hard to eat. I also have terrible headaches that worsen with certain movements or lights. This pill is awful and I wish I would've known about these symptoms before starting."

---- (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2016

"I am always prescribed Macrobid for UTIs, and it has always worked for me. It does cause some side effects, but for me it is usually just fatigue for a few hours after taking it and a bit of diarrhea near the end once the infection is gone but I am still finishing up the meds. I know some people get more severe side effects, but I have always been lucky on this drug."

souslapluie (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2016

"Macrobid has always helped me I have had many bladder infections..I am amazed how many people do not know of the miracle the medication Pyridium is to release bladder pain also I don't know why doctors don't recommend it...but please do know pyridium will not cure but mask the infraction release pain in about 20 min worked for me as needed for over 30 years. "

Good news January 10, 2016

"I took macrobid for two and half days felt sick. Plus I'm scared of anything that poses a risk of side effects that are mile and half long. Macrobid made me so sick that I ended up at the ER with swollen lymph nodes ,stiff neck, nausea migraine that caused eye pain, vomiting, chill I felt poisoned . My sister wanted to stay with us because she was so worried about me. I was sick for three days in bed . Never , ever again I'm only seeing nautropathic doctors and chinese medicine doc unless it is life or death"

1Grace007 January 9, 2016

"Fever chills fatigue headache pounding heartbeat chest pains and ached all over- I will never take this again!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2016

"I had a stubborn UTI that was unresponsive to Cipro and starting to show signs of a kidney infection. This drug was a miracle worker. Within 48 hours I finally felt relief after a long, horrible wait of dealing with intense bladder pressure. I ate heavy meals with each pill, did not experience nausea or other GI issues. I was however tired ALL 7 days of this pill. I slept so much, I mean seriously this pill knocked me out. So that is frustrating, but will take fatigue any day over GI symptoms and at the point I started taking this drug I was willing to try anything to get rid of this infection. I was SO miserable. I just finished my last pill and noticed a dry cough with shortness of breath, so that's why I gave it an 8."

Anonymous January 3, 2016

"I suffer with painful bladder syndrome and this medicine I've taken to help prevent me from getting water infections due to the nature of having PBS. I have had water infections while being on this still so was really disappointed and has hit hard. In my experience I don't think these are good for preventing water infections for my individual case."

Lunacat December 26, 2015

"I had an extremely painful bladder infection and this medication worked by day 3. ...........I'm on day 6 now, one more day to go, The only side effect I had was feeling tired and achey but I slept more which helped. Also extreme anxiety from reading the scary reviews on here lol. This medicine saved me from a kidney infection."

deedeeking (taken for less than 1 month) December 24, 2015

"Please read!!! Presccribed macrobid 100mg for bladder infection. Took the first dose at 5pm after a full meal (on the advise of my Dr who warned slight stomach irritation) around 2 am I woke up vomitting yellow bile which lasted for several hours. I was shaking and sweating and couldn't even keep water down. I'm on my 4th dose and symptoms are subsiding..I feel like I'm going to vomit, have a headache and am extremely dizzy. Please be careful when taking this its like a flu in pill form!"

Am1989 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2015

"Be aware. I was prescribed this med both for recurrent UTI's and prophylactic use. After using it for years, I suffered full body toxicity and now have been completely disabled by this medicine. I presented to the ER on several occasions, with burning in my hands and feet, and to my doctor. Nobody made the connection. I kept using the medicine. I am now disabled with severe body wide neuropathy that appears to be permanent. It is a living hell. Beware using this drug long term. It has ruined my life. I am homebound with severe bodywide neuropathic pain and am in "pain management" with no relief"

swim2lakes November 26, 2015

"I have been on macrobid twice for bladder infections. It cleared them up, but the side effects knocked me off my feet for days. Fever of 101 - 102 and flu-like achiness and wicked headaches or the entire time I was on the medication. The first time I took it the doctor said I must have had the flu too. The second time I called him after three days and had him switch me to another antibiotic."

SuzeR22 November 21, 2015

"I took this medicine for a bladder infection and took it for the full five days prescribed. The first day I felt immediate relief and reduced discomfort of about 50%. However with each day that followed my relief did not increase and within 12 hours of completing perscription my symptoms were back by 90%. So either the dose wasn't strong enough (100mg) or the prescription wasn't long enough. No way of knowing if either or both of these conditions were changed I would have experienced more success with this particular antibiotic."

Gaia.M October 24, 2015

"This works fine for me, I'm allergic to most of the antibiotics out there but not this one thankfully. I get uti's frequently, because I always have to be cultured, sometimes that waiting period helps the thing really get going. Normally its a 10 day course... I do not get headaches or any of the side effects others have had. Everybody's body is different, the only way you'll know how you will react is to take it yourself."

mizrob1960 October 17, 2015

"Ive been suffering from UTI's o & off for the last year. During this time I was prescribed a Sulfate antibiotic which I discovered I was allergic to within hours, I developed hives & blisters all over my face & body. So Cipro was prescribed every time for the UTI's that subsequently followed. It seemed it took about 5 days before the symptoms to go away but I never felt fully cured because even though the urgency and burning went away, I was having a hard time holding my urine if I had a close to full or full bladder. Then I would have about 2 weeks of feeling ok only to have the UTI start all over again. I was at my wits end. I was prescribe Macro, I felt relief in 2 hours with absolutely no side effects. I hope this is finally the end!"

HPG October 8, 2015