User Reviews for Macrobid

Learn more about Macrobid.

Macrobid Rating Summary

4.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 91 medications used in the treatment of Bladder Infection.

Reviews for Macrobid to treat Bladder Infection

"I use to get bladder infections all the time but this time was BY FAR the worst I've ever experienced. I managed to get myself into a walk-in and they prescribed me macrobid. The first pill I took -- along with cranberry juice, made me feel 80% better. By the third day taking macrobid, I felt 100% better. Definitely take it with a meal though, I took it with something small because I was in a rush and I felt very weak and nauseous."

TanyaG August 24, 2016

"Day two my kidney is not killing me .Able to go to the bathroom no burning feel so much better. 7 day supply Macrobid 100 mg one every 12 hours no side effects just a bad taste in my mouth"

Tumbles August 16, 2016

"Was prescribed this antibiotic for a bladder infection at emergency care Dr. said there were few side effects when I asked -was hesitant to take it because im very sensitive to Antibiotics but was assured this was the best medicine for me with the least side effects Wrong! By day 2 I was totally lethargic feeling very irritable and running a low-grade fever on and off. Thought temp was from bladder infection. Finished 6 day course went to my doctor for a urine recheck & since my culture appeared clean was told I could stop day earlier. Two days off the medicine and I'm still feeling like crap extremely tired and lethargic with a low-grade fever or of 100.5 feel like I have a minor case of the flu but since reading other articles I believe it's from the antibiotic never again will I take this"

816Lucy August 14, 2016

"I got a pretty bad bladder infection and got prescribed this medicine. I didn't bother to check reviews, as my infection was so bad that all I wanted to do was be able to pee. I'm on day 3. Symptoms barely better. On top of that, I now have bad pain in my lower back, a swollen stomach that hurts really bad, gas, constipation, and worst of all, I can barely stay awake. I'm exhausted. I have zero energy and I've been bed ridden since the first dose. My joints hurt, my shoulders hurt, I am dizzy and nauseous. And I take the dose with a decent meal to prevent stomach upset but it doesn't work. Worst part is that I keep having bouts of diarrhea but nothing comes out. I don't know if the medicine is worse than the disease, but I'm miserable."

AlexisMR August 8, 2016

"The first few doses made me feel like I had been hit by a truck. Things improved and now I am in the third day and fine. Burning, urgency, leaking GONE so I will finish my 10 days of medication. I had Cipro for 7 days previously and after I finished-- in three days I had symptoms again."

Granmary July 31, 2016

"I've take this before with no side effects. This time the doctor recommended me to take it for 90 days, 100 milligrams once a day for recurring UTI. By the second dose I am in the bed feel like I have the flu, a virus at the same time and vision going. Not going to take anymore of this microbid. Wish I had only filled 30 days of meds instead of 90 day. Spent to much money on something I can't take. Take with caution."

S.A.V.A.N.N.A.H July 29, 2016

"I'm on day 2, so I have taken 4 pills and I feel absolutely horrible nausea. I have aches all over like the flu and pains in my stomach, sharp ones. I can barely keep my head up. I am stopping them and going back to the doctor tomorrow. I have never felt so bad, also very explosive diarrhea. I'm thinking of going to the hospital. I feel as if I have been poisoned."

Heidila July 18, 2016

"After reading a lot of bad reviews I was hesitant to use macrobid as a treatment for a pretty severe bladder infection. However, I didn't experience many of the side effects that I read about. Although it did make me rather fatigued, I made sure to drink lots of water and took my pills with a nice healthy meal! I also took my 100mg pills twice a day at the exact same time as to get my body on a routine. Almost 3 days off of it and feeling back to 100%! Would have no problem using this antibiotic again!"

Vicky__ July 8, 2016

"Lower back pain gone after 1st day of this medicine. Nausea is horrible - taking phenegran to offset nausea. I'm lethargic and resting. This stuff must be strong - but I'd take bed rest and nausea over a knife in my back anyway!!! I'm on 2X daily WITH FOOD for 5 days. I'm on day 3."

Amy Aggie (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2016

"Recurring infection and two courses of different medications prior to macro bid. It started working in 24hrs but did have headache and visual episode, plus dizzy spell over course of five days. Relief of the infection outweighs side effects."

Jcbumps June 23, 2016

"Prescribed for a UTI. Long story short I thought there was something seriously wrong with me. Sever body aches, joint pain, back, chest, fever up to 101.7, major chills, headache, anxious, depressed, crying, irritable, FATIGUE, weakness, night sweats, tight jaw, the list goes on and on. This medication is dangerous and I'm glad I stumbled across this site because I thought I was going crazy. I have 1 more day of this horrible medication and I'll stick it out because I don't want to have to take anymore antibiotics. 100mg 2x a day for 7 days"

No no no more June 6, 2016

"I took this twice a day for 5 days. Cleared my infection but made me tired, hot, and had shortness of breath the whole time. Had nausea the first two days but that went away. Allergic to sulfa and several other drugs so this was prescribed. While it worked, I don't think I would ASK for this again."

Sterling2001 May 22, 2016

"This medication was prescribed to me for a bladder infection. After I took the second dose I woke in the middle of the night with the worst headache I've ever had in my whole life! I literally thought I might have to go into see the doctor. After it subsided I read all the reviews I could about this medication and it side effects. It seemed as though it was starting to work for my bladder infection but the terrible side effects were not worth it. I called my doctor and they prescribed Cipro instead. It took care of my infection with no side effects."

Jor Ethra April 17, 2016

"I was prescribed Macro bid for a bladder infection. After I took the 2nd pill, I got severe shortness of breath, chest pain, high fever and diarrhea. Although not as bad as the first day, the symptoms continued into the second day of taking them. On the 3rd day, out of the blue, my vision was blurred/impeded by what I can only describe as bursts of light/sunbursts for about 20 minutes followed by severe headache and fatigue. Very scary! My bladder feels a bit better so I decided to stop the medication after only 3 days. Will ask the doctor for something else with less side effects if it continues."

macronot March 31, 2016

"I was prescribed Macrobid for a bladder infection. By 3rd day in med I developed a horrible dry cough. I stopped taking at that point. I am now on another antibiotic for an upper respiratory infection. I will be sure to never take Macrobid again"

lmbwife (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2016

"I've taken Macrobid in the past, but I never noticed any side effects. This time, I felt very ill about two days in to a seven day regime. I had no idea what was wrong with me. My tongue felt numb, I got very lightheaded, and I felt like my life was draining out of me. I thought maybe I was developing a kidney infection, but I only had a low grade fever. I called my doctor, but she told me to only come in if my fever went over 100.5. I decided to see if Macrobid could have caused these symptoms and I stumbled across theses reviews. Wow! What an eye opener! I'm glad to know that it was the medicine and not some life-threatening illness. I'm glad the UTI is better, but it was scary when I thought I was about to die, lol."

Becky C (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

"Felt suddenly spaced-out, sat down at my work desk and passed out. Luckily I was already in a hospital. A friend took this med and also passed out. She wasn't so lucky. She fell and suffered a concussion."

Graddo February 26, 2016

"symptoms: SEVERE abdominal pain, constipation, nausea, achey pain in back, fatigue, chills, sweating, headache, cough. i just finishd my last dose of macrobid and I believe it cleared up my UTI but these side effects are not worth it. The abdominal pain I have been having is so bad that it has woken me up from my sleep 3 nights in a row. I have the chills and because of the abdominal pain it is hard to eat. I also have terrible headaches that worsen with certain movements or lights. This pill is awful and I wish I would've known about these symptoms before starting."

---- (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2016

"I am always prescribed Macrobid for UTIs, and it has always worked for me. It does cause some side effects, but for me it is usually just fatigue for a few hours after taking it and a bit of diarrhea near the end once the infection is gone but I am still finishing up the meds. I know some people get more severe side effects, but I have always been lucky on this drug."

souslapluie (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2016

"Macrobid has always helped me I have had many bladder infections..I am amazed how many people do not know of the miracle the medication Pyridium is to release bladder pain also I don't know why doctors don't recommend it...but please do know pyridium will not cure but mask the infraction release pain in about 20 min worked for me as needed for over 30 years. "

Good news January 10, 2016

"I took macrobid for two and half days felt sick. Plus I'm scared of anything that poses a risk of side effects that are mile and half long. Macrobid made me so sick that I ended up at the ER with swollen lymph nodes ,stiff neck, nausea migraine that caused eye pain, vomiting, chill I felt poisoned . My sister wanted to stay with us because she was so worried about me. I was sick for three days in bed . Never , ever again I'm only seeing nautropathic doctors and chinese medicine doc unless it is life or death"

1Grace007 January 9, 2016

"Fever chills fatigue headache pounding heartbeat chest pains and ached all over- I will never take this again!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2016

"I had a stubborn UTI that was unresponsive to Cipro and starting to show signs of a kidney infection. This drug was a miracle worker. Within 48 hours I finally felt relief after a long, horrible wait of dealing with intense bladder pressure. I ate heavy meals with each pill, did not experience nausea or other GI issues. I was however tired ALL 7 days of this pill. I slept so much, I mean seriously this pill knocked me out. So that is frustrating, but will take fatigue any day over GI symptoms and at the point I started taking this drug I was willing to try anything to get rid of this infection. I was SO miserable. I just finished my last pill and noticed a dry cough with shortness of breath, so that's why I gave it an 8."

Anonymous January 3, 2016

"I suffer with painful bladder syndrome and this medicine I've taken to help prevent me from getting water infections due to the nature of having PBS. I have had water infections while being on this still so was really disappointed and has hit hard. In my experience I don't think these are good for preventing water infections for my individual case."

Lunacat December 26, 2015

"I had an extremely painful bladder infection and this medication worked by day 3. ...........I'm on day 6 now, one more day to go, The only side effect I had was feeling tired and achey but I slept more which helped. Also extreme anxiety from reading the scary reviews on here lol. This medicine saved me from a kidney infection."

deedeeking (taken for less than 1 month) December 24, 2015