User Reviews for Macrobid (Page 3)

Learn more about Macrobid.

Prevention of Bladder infection 14 reviews 29 medications

6.3
Urinary Tract Infection 207 reviews 190 medications

Bladder Infection 113 reviews 82 medications

4.9
Summary of Macrobid reviews 334 reviews 5.4

Reviews for Macrobid

For Urinary Tract Infection "After reading all of the horrible reviews on this site I was terrified to take Macrobid. I waited two days hoping that the symptoms would clear and I wouldn't have to take this "awful poison." Everything I read talked about flu'like symptoms and high fevers..Scary stuff. I finally gave in and took my first dose around 9:00am. By around 1:00pm I had a bit of a headache which was mostly controlled with Advil. Same side effect with the second and third dose. By day three I was side effect free and nearly symptom free too. I would take this again in heartbeat. Don't let the reviews scare you. Everyone reacts differently and you can't base what your experience will be off of the bad experience others had."

PunkyBee January 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection "I came off the drug two weeks ago but still feel ill. I'm dragging myself around and feel confused, tired and full of aches and pains. I am normally a very fit person who loves to swim and walk. This drug needs to be banned if others can be used without the dreadful and long lasting side effects. I read I could now have liver damage."

Mammaroo (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection "Brilliant. Day 3 of taking microbid and UTI cleared up. Still 4 more days to go. Very happy."

Zen1 (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Prevention of Bladder infection "I have had recurring uti's for 5 decades. I've been on macrobid for a couple of years. I've found it does help prevent the kidney and bladder infections with few side effects. The side effects I do have are: darkened urine, diarrhea occasionally, nausea and dry heaves occassionally, dizziness occasionally and peripheral neuropathy on occasion. Now I know you would think that these side effects would deter someone from taking this drug but for me those side effects are better than having bladder and kidney infections for 6 months at a time. For me the macrobid is the lesser of the two evils. Living with the infections is worse than these few issues."

DebbyGre (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I've had a few UTIs recently and the antibiotics has worked every time but this time I was prescribed Macrobid and after one pill I felt pretty horrendous. The symptoms of my UTI went away but it was replaced with really scary symptoms. I took the second pill not thinking it was side effects considering I've never had a bad experience with an antibiotic but woke up during the night feeling like my breathing was so heavy I wasn't sure if I'd need to go to hospital. The headache was unreal, I ached all over and walked about feeling like I was going to fall down any minute and like I was drunk or something. Called the doctor who told me to get an antihistamine and not take another. I felt poisoned! Still not fully recovered."

Miario (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "It says ON THE BOTTLE to take this medicine with food. This is probably why you are experiencing nausea and fatigue. It's a great medicine and a great alternative and preventative if you're like me and suffer from chronic UTI's."

ALN9007 January 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "It has been my personal experience in dealing with urinary tract infection's that Macrobid is a godsend. After having my youngest child I came down with a UTI which stemmed from the birthing unit nurse improperly inserting a catheter prior to my cesarean section delivery. Within about a week I began noticing some tenderness in my lower pelvic area but thought perhaps it was because I had a tubal ligation and c- section and returned to work upon my discharge from the hospital (yeah not the most health wise move but childbirth doesn't stop the bills from flowing in). I was put on antibiotics that didn't work ended up admitted with severly infected kidneys and macrobid was the only thing that cured me and to this day is the only antibiotic that works for my UTI's"

AP42 (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I had a UTI and my Dr. prescribed Macrobid. I'm allergic to most antibiotics and usually experience all the side effects possible so I read the reviews here and was so scared to take it that I waited a week to see if my symptoms would somehow go away on their own (they didn't). I finally said a prayer and started the Macrobid. The only side effect I had at all was a pretty good headache on days 1 and 2, which was relieved with Advil. I wish I had started sooner! Just remember that usually, the only people coming to these sites are people who have had bad reactions. My pharmacist said that she's been prescribing it for 35 years and never heard of anyone having really bad reactions to it."

Robbie22 January 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I took 1 100mg Macrobid at 12pm today for a UTI. Felt bad around 6, so I went to lay down. Around 9, I woke up with extreme chills to the point my teeth were chattering (I'm a very hot-natured person), horrible muscle cramps, nausea, fever, and even hallucinations. I seriously thought I was dying. Thank God my mom called the pharmacist and he said not to take another. It's 12am now, and I still have a fever, and a horrible headache and body aches. AFTER ONE PILL. Don't take this medicine, y'all. It should be banned. I feel like I was poisoned."

AshLiz1004 (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection "I have a history of UTIs and kidney infections because my urethra is abnormal. However, with every UTI, i have been prescribed several different antibiotics. None that are accompanied by side effects but every person is different. With every UTI I have had, I have always experienced head ache, nausea, body aches and fever. All went away with the UTI. When I asked my doctor, he said the antibiotics take between 48 and 72 hours to start taking effect on your body. You may be experiencing some effects of your infection."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I am only taking the time to write this review because I see so many negative ones. I'd hate to see someone not take it and risk an infection getting worse! This drug does work, cleared up my UTI in 2 days. There are some not pleasant side effects-- Nausea, I've been feeling this one all week, body ache and chills, only on the first day. In my unique case I'd take any pain in the world over having a strong urge to use the restroom every 30 seconds and intense burning. I've taken this drug once before and felt fine. Talk to the dr. if you're concerned, there are other medications out there!"

ajetta (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I was prescribed macrobid (100mg two times a day for 10 days) for a pretty severe UTI. The first day I took it I felt like I had a fever and I had chills and body aches, I figured it was just my UTI causing the symptoms. Today I am on day 10 (last day) and I am going to the doctors for a different medication because after taking one of the pills last night I developed what I thought was the flu, severe body aches, fever, chills. I really considered going to the ER cause I was that sick. Woke up this morning feeling better then last night but I refuse to take another pill. As far as cleaning up my UTI some days I have felt normal and other days I still have the burning and frequency."

Jme2245 December 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Macrobid cleared up my UTI in only 4 days. I was afraid to use it based on the comments on this site but keep in mind, most people who take time out to comment are those with negative experiences. Usually people with great experiences like myself don't take time out to talk about how well a medication works-they use it and go on with their daily lives. It's been over a year now and no reoccurrence of UTI. I had zero side effects."

Caycee577 December 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection "The side effects. Today I went to the Dr with symptoms of cloudy urine and frequent urination. I was diagnosed with a bladder infection and I was prescribed Macrobid, 2x po daily for 5 days. I've taken this medication before for a UTI and I was fine, but for some reason, I took this pill 2 hours ago and already I feel the sensation to gag every time a breathe in. This kind of nausea feels detestable. I'm so uncomfortable. I also got severe back pain and tight chest out of nowhere. I can't believe this."

i pray it works despite December 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "My husband passed a kidney stone, & was diagnosed with UTI, without being given a urine test to identify bacteria. After taking nitrofurantoin for 4 days, we went to urgent care as the chills and fever along with headache, confusion, loss of appetite, & weakness didn't go away. He was told to stop taking it as it was a drug to target 2 types of bacterias and given Cipro. The chills, fever, sweating and headache haven't gone away even after stopping this medicine. We may end up in the ER if symptoms don't sub side. I don't recommend this drug."

Jp7117 December 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Prescribed this medication for 5 days for UTI after Day 2 my symptoms were almost gone. However during the course of treatment, I had terrible flu like symptoms and my heart was really racing and pounding. It was scary. Nevertheless I finished all the antibiotics and after one day without treatment, the UTI symptoms came right back! SMH wow so now I have to call the dr. In the morning. This medication didn't have work for me for a UTI it only eased the symptoms during treatment."

MamaDebbie (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection "So I just had a breast reduction 3 weeks ago, & two weeks into the healing process I got my 1st UTI. I consulted friends of the pain after urinating & they suggested lots of water & cranberry juice which didn't do much at all. A few days later after consuming all that liquid my kidneys started throbbing. I couldn't take it, & went to the doctors. They prescribed me Microbid. I'm currently on day 3, twice a day with food. I've experienced fevers, chills, constant abdominal & kidney pains to the point of tears. Only thing that's stopped hurting is going to the washroom. I'm on this medication for 4 more days & hoping I recover soon. My body's under enough stress with the reduction/infection so I'm hoping that this med will clear the UTI up"

Athenaxo December 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "My doctor thought I had both a uti and yeast infection. 1 capsule was all I will take out of the 14 I got. I felt so nauseous and dizzy the rest of the day, I could only lie in bed, which caused me to miss my boyfriend's birthday. They also recommend to take it with food, which I did, so that wasn't the issue..."

Nope nope nope December 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "WARNING!!! I was hospitalized after taking just two days out of the 5 prescribed of macrobid (nitrofunatol). I went to urgent care for a UTI and after the 5th dose. I began to not be able to catch my breath and my body felt tingly and feet felt bruised. I stopped taking the medication and about a day later, I could barely breathe, my entire back seized up into the most excruciating pain I've ever felt in my entire life. I could not move my head without a migraine-like headache pulsating in my ears and top of my head. 5 days later I am still virtually bedridden, vomiting, no appetite, my body feels like a giant bruise and my skin tingles and hurts to touch even with clothing. Tread carefully around this stuff, it's not worth the pain AT ALL"

Shay M December 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "No side effects, 15 days after taking the 1 week supply plus the 1 week refill... and my infection has come again... this is a nightmare...steer clear"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "Macrobid caused me to get really sick and did NOT clear up a urinary tract infection. I will not take this medicine again as it was not right for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I have never posted a review but, I wanted to let people know out there that you don't have to be afraid to take this if you need to. I am one of those who always Googles medicine reviews and I scared myself half to death with the horrible reviews on this antibiotic. So worried that I almost didn't take it. Well, I'm glad I did. It took away my UTI that was going into my kidneys and I had absolutely NO side effects. Yes, everyone is different and some people will have bad effects from it but, I am very sensitive to medications and I had no issues whatsoever. Always be sure to take it with food and just let it do it's job!"

Missxhausman November 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "I am only 18 years old and had to take this for a Uti. This would be my 4th one this year and I haven't had any other problems with any of the other antiobiotics I've taken until this one. STAY CLEAR OF THIS!!! It is absolutely awful. I had to take it twice a day for 7 days and let me tell you this medication made me feel like RUBBISH for all of the seven days. I dreaded taking this and everytime I took it I would have a minor breakdown and would gag just even looking at it. Like why would I purposely want to consume something that practically poisoned me. For seven days straight I had SEVERE nausea and i felt like I was going to puke all day, along with that, I had the worst pounding headaches. I couldnt even get out of bed the first 3 days"

mmm12345678 November 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection "okay,i never ever post on review boards, but with all these high level ratings for this drug i just had to speak out. this drug is poison, literal poison. im only on my second dosage and it feels like my body is shutting down. rite this moment i am vomiting every ten mins, my head hurts constantly, and my body is riddled with the chills and shakes. i have followed the dr directions to the tee, taking it with food and all of that and it still has made me feel miserable. yes it has healed my uti almost instantly but now the rest of my body is suffering and breaking down because of it. please seek other options before taking this medication, please, i beg you, this is a very strong, dangerous drug."

AshtonVG November 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Prevention of Bladder infection "i would experience urinary tract infections multiple times a year due to sexual intercourse. I would always make sure that my partner and I would both wash off before sexual intercourse to cut down on the spreading of bacteria which helped but I still suffered from frequent utis. My doctor then prescribed macrobid. I have had no negative side effects with or without food and I have had ZERO urinary tract infections for the past 9 months. This medicine has really increased my quality of life including my sex life. Definitely recommend!"

Anonymous November 17, 2016