User Reviews for Macrobid

Learn more about Macrobid.

Macrobid Rating Summary

4.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 377 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Macrobid to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"I've had a few UTIs recently and the antibiotics has worked every time but this time I was prescribed Macrobid and after one pill I felt pretty horrendous. The symptoms of my UTI went away but it was replaced with really scary symptoms. I took the second pill not thinking it was side effects considering I've never had a bad experience with an antibiotic but woke up during the night feeling like my breathing was so heavy I wasn't sure if I'd need to go to hospital. The headache was unreal, I ached all over and walked about feeling like I was going to fall down any minute and like I was drunk or something. Called the doctor who told me to get an antihistamine and not take another. I felt poisoned! Still not fully recovered."

Miario (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2017

"It says ON THE BOTTLE to take this medicine with food. This is probably why you are experiencing nausea and fatigue. It's a great medicine and a great alternative and preventative if you're like me and suffer from chronic UTI's."

ALN9007 January 7, 2017

"It has been my personal experience in dealing with urinary tract infection's that Macrobid is a godsend. After having my youngest child I came down with a UTI which stemmed from the birthing unit nurse improperly inserting a catheter prior to my cesarean section delivery. Within about a week I began noticing some tenderness in my lower pelvic area but thought perhaps it was because I had a tubal ligation and c- section and returned to work upon my discharge from the hospital (yeah not the most health wise move but childbirth doesn't stop the bills from flowing in). I was put on antibiotics that didn't work ended up admitted with severly infected kidneys and macrobid was the only thing that cured me and to this day is the only antibiotic that works for my UTI's"

AP42 (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

"I had a UTI and my Dr. prescribed Macrobid. I'm allergic to most antibiotics and usually experience all the side effects possible so I read the reviews here and was so scared to take it that I waited a week to see if my symptoms would somehow go away on their own (they didn't). I finally said a prayer and started the Macrobid. The only side effect I had at all was a pretty good headache on days 1 and 2, which was relieved with Advil. I wish I had started sooner! Just remember that usually, the only people coming to these sites are people who have had bad reactions. My pharmacist said that she's been prescribing it for 35 years and never heard of anyone having really bad reactions to it."

Robbie22 January 3, 2017

"I took 1 100mg Macrobid at 12pm today for a UTI. Felt bad around 6, so I went to lay down. Around 9, I woke up with extreme chills to the point my teeth were chattering (I'm a very hot-natured person), horrible muscle cramps, nausea, fever, and even hallucinations. I seriously thought I was dying. Thank God my mom called the pharmacist and he said not to take another. It's 12am now, and I still have a fever, and a horrible headache and body aches. AFTER ONE PILL. Don't take this medicine, y'all. It should be banned. I feel like I was poisoned."

AshLiz1004 (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2017

"I am only taking the time to write this review because I see so many negative ones. I'd hate to see someone not take it and risk an infection getting worse! This drug does work, cleared up my UTI in 2 days. There are some not pleasant side effects-- Nausea, I've been feeling this one all week, body ache and chills, only on the first day. In my unique case I'd take any pain in the world over having a strong urge to use the restroom every 30 seconds and intense burning. I've taken this drug once before and felt fine. Talk to the dr. if you're concerned, there are other medications out there!"

ajetta (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2016

"I was prescribed macrobid (100mg two times a day for 10 days) for a pretty severe UTI. The first day I took it I felt like I had a fever and I had chills and body aches, I figured it was just my UTI causing the symptoms. Today I am on day 10 (last day) and I am going to the doctors for a different medication because after taking one of the pills last night I developed what I thought was the flu, severe body aches, fever, chills. I really considered going to the ER cause I was that sick. Woke up this morning feeling better then last night but I refuse to take another pill. As far as cleaning up my UTI some days I have felt normal and other days I still have the burning and frequency."

Jme2245 December 20, 2016

"Macrobid cleared up my UTI in only 4 days. I was afraid to use it based on the comments on this site but keep in mind, most people who take time out to comment are those with negative experiences. Usually people with great experiences like myself don't take time out to talk about how well a medication works-they use it and go on with their daily lives. It's been over a year now and no reoccurrence of UTI. I had zero side effects."

Caycee577 December 19, 2016

"My husband passed a kidney stone, & was diagnosed with UTI, without being given a urine test to identify bacteria. After taking nitrofurantoin for 4 days, we went to urgent care as the chills and fever along with headache, confusion, loss of appetite, & weakness didn't go away. He was told to stop taking it as it was a drug to target 2 types of bacterias and given Cipro. The chills, fever, sweating and headache haven't gone away even after stopping this medicine. We may end up in the ER if symptoms don't sub side. I don't recommend this drug."

Jp7117 December 11, 2016

"Prescribed this medication for 5 days for UTI after Day 2 my symptoms were almost gone. However during the course of treatment, I had terrible flu like symptoms and my heart was really racing and pounding. It was scary. Nevertheless I finished all the antibiotics and after one day without treatment, the UTI symptoms came right back! SMH wow so now I have to call the dr. In the morning. This medication didn't have work for me for a UTI it only eased the symptoms during treatment."

MamaDebbie (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2016

"My doctor thought I had both a uti and yeast infection. 1 capsule was all I will take out of the 14 I got. I felt so nauseous and dizzy the rest of the day, I could only lie in bed, which caused me to miss my boyfriend's birthday. They also recommend to take it with food, which I did, so that wasn't the issue..."

Nope nope nope December 6, 2016

"WARNING!!! I was hospitalized after taking just two days out of the 5 prescribed of macrobid (nitrofunatol). I went to urgent care for a UTI and after the 5th dose. I began to not be able to catch my breath and my body felt tingly and feet felt bruised. I stopped taking the medication and about a day later, I could barely breathe, my entire back seized up into the most excruciating pain I've ever felt in my entire life. I could not move my head without a migraine-like headache pulsating in my ears and top of my head. 5 days later I am still virtually bedridden, vomiting, no appetite, my body feels like a giant bruise and my skin tingles and hurts to touch even with clothing. Tread carefully around this stuff, it's not worth the pain AT ALL"

Shay M December 5, 2016

"No side effects, 15 days after taking the 1 week supply plus the 1 week refill... and my infection has come again... this is a nightmare...steer clear"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2016

"Macrobid caused me to get really sick and did NOT clear up a urinary tract infection. I will not take this medicine again as it was not right for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2016

"I have never posted a review but, I wanted to let people know out there that you don't have to be afraid to take this if you need to. I am one of those who always Googles medicine reviews and I scared myself half to death with the horrible reviews on this antibiotic. So worried that I almost didn't take it. Well, I'm glad I did. It took away my UTI that was going into my kidneys and I had absolutely NO side effects. Yes, everyone is different and some people will have bad effects from it but, I am very sensitive to medications and I had no issues whatsoever. Always be sure to take it with food and just let it do it's job!"

Missxhausman November 27, 2016

"I am only 18 years old and had to take this for a Uti. This would be my 4th one this year and I haven't had any other problems with any of the other antiobiotics I've taken until this one. STAY CLEAR OF THIS!!! It is absolutely awful. I had to take it twice a day for 7 days and let me tell you this medication made me feel like RUBBISH for all of the seven days. I dreaded taking this and everytime I took it I would have a minor breakdown and would gag just even looking at it. Like why would I purposely want to consume something that practically poisoned me. For seven days straight I had SEVERE nausea and i felt like I was going to puke all day, along with that, I had the worst pounding headaches. I couldnt even get out of bed the first 3 days"

mmm12345678 November 24, 2016

"okay,i never ever post on review boards, but with all these high level ratings for this drug i just had to speak out. this drug is poison, literal poison. im only on my second dosage and it feels like my body is shutting down. rite this moment i am vomiting every ten mins, my head hurts constantly, and my body is riddled with the chills and shakes. i have followed the dr directions to the tee, taking it with food and all of that and it still has made me feel miserable. yes it has healed my uti almost instantly but now the rest of my body is suffering and breaking down because of it. please seek other options before taking this medication, please, i beg you, this is a very strong, dangerous drug."

AshtonVG November 22, 2016

"I'm on my 4th pill of Macrobid...ok the reviews here will scare the crap out of you but let me give you a few tips. I made sure my dr prescribed me Zofran so when I took the first pill ( be sure to take it with FOOD) I took a Zofran . I did feel nauseous for about 30 mins and felt a little woozy but it didn't last long ...took the 2nd pill with FOOD and got a headache but nothing horrible and had no other side effects ... By the time I took the third pill I had no side effects but I still took pill with food and zofran . Don't let the reviews scare you . I feel so much better after 4 pills as far as my infection and the more the pills get in your system the less severe the side effects should be. Zofran and food and you'll be good to go"

C Slate (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2016

"Took 1 pill 50mg because I'm sensitive to medication. Within 2 hours, I itched everywhere. Took 25mg of Benadryl. Breathing is slightly labored as well. Dr reassured me I'd be okay. I'm limited to use of antibiotics due to severe allergic reactions. I feel nauseated and have a horrible headache. Was given this for kidney stones and high red blood cell count indicating unknown infection. I wish this would go away on its own ugh!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2016

"So far so good. Im on my 2nd day. NO side effects..that I am aware of. I did sleep a little harder last night..lol. I just found this and read some of the other reviews, but I honestly haven't noticed anything real abnormal. This is my 1st time taking it. I am usually given bactrim for uti's because I am highly allergic to penicillin. I usually dont have fever or severe pain with a uti, but I think I have had one for a while now due to other uti symptoms. So i dont think bactrim has been working. I do not have a regular doctor (cant afford it), and I feel awful having to constantly go to the ER...only to end up STILL having a UTI. I just hope this finally gets rid of it. Im tired of spending $$ on antibiotics only for it to not work."

Tried&Tested November 3, 2016

"I was on holiday and prescribed these by the Dr at the walk in centre, after a week, I still have faint burning, still urinating frequently, cold/flu symptoms, headaches ( I rarely suffer with headaches) sharp pains in my stomach, and still feeling sick even after not taking them for 2 days. Back to my own Dr's tomorrow. This drug is horrid!!!!"

BethanyArcher October 30, 2016

"Ok gotta make a long story short.. My docter gave me bactrim for a uti and usually it works but this time it didnt. I was miserable so I went to urgent care they prescribed me macrobid 100 mg 2× daily. I read all the awful reviews and since my stomach is very sensitive and easily nausiated I immediatly was discouraged. I asked the pharmacist and she told me she had taken it and as long as you follow the instructions on the bottle that say take with food or milk I would be fine and she didnt have any symptoms. Soo I have been eating a good meal bf I take it and its been 3 days now and I woke up on the 3rd day and its like its gone and I could tell after the 1st day I was getting better. I was in pain for 6 day and this med was a blessing!!!"

Michelle8907 October 29, 2016

"I was diagnosed with a UTI and kidney infections. They started me on Macrobid two days ago and yes, death on a doornail set in. When your body utilizes this drug to flush your system, it doesn't just run to your bladder and ta da! Your body handles this infection with all it's defenses so you SHOULD expect to feel really icky for about a week. I am floored at today's rush in society to get everything done right now or right away. Every body needs time to heal and recover. Allow yourself the precious gift of rest and recuperating it needs and unless you begin to spike fever or experience allergic reaction, hang in there and know it's okay to take some time off to nurture you."

PoDunkJunction (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2016

"I woke up feeling a nasty burning sensation, so I went to the walk in clinic today to be prescribed with macrobin. I must say, in the first hour after taking it, my extreme pain and irritation was gone, but as time went by, I started to feel like I was going through chemotherapy. Only one pill, and I feel extreme side effects. I wear corrective lenses and my vision is getting all messed up. My body is super weak, my heart beats very fast, my stomach is in knots, my abdomen is cramping up like nobody's business. I have a headache. Never ever taking this again. I would not recommend this antibiotic to anyone. Yes, everyone is different, therefore you will react differently to antibiotics, but this one is absolute agony."

Star Guardian Jinx (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2016

"I've been taking this medication for a uti. First bottle 3 pills a day for 30 days. NOTHING! Was given a second supply which I took 3 pills a day for 30 days. NOTHING! Yep, you guessed it. Third supply, 3pills a day.............really!"

Bille hank October 10, 2016