User Reviews for Macrobid

Macrobid Rating Summary

4.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 381 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Macrobid to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"I rarely suffer side effects from medication, but Macrobid has been a hard route, as following the 1st dose, began suffering extreme nausea, gas, stomach pain, anxiety. I pushed forward thru dose 4, when I decided on Day 3 to skip all medication, but did take only 1 dose of Macrobid with something to eat late in the evening, hoping to bypass nausea. I awoke early & began vomiting once an hour for 4 hours...so I'm calling Dr to request a different medication."

NancySydsMom (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2018

"I should of taken 4 in the space of 2 days by taken 2 ( 2 ever 12 hours) after taking my first one I got a severe bad headache and back pain, my kidney's swelled up and so did my spine. I got a red rash along my back and was struggling to sleep and breath. Didn't want to eat or drink and wasn't myself. The second day I took another after a few hours I completely lost my breath I was struggling, burning up all over, left shoulder felt loose and hurt, wasn't with it at all and thought it was the end as I was on the phone to 111. Today I didn't take anything going to the doctors as I've had a severe allergic reaction to these meds bad throat and chesty cough. My tablet's where blue and yellow and others seem to of have yellow and black? Really wouldn't recommend these to anyone!!!"

C (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2018

"I am on Macrobid for a UTI. I've had 3 doses so far. I have some shortness of breath since starting it and today I've had joint pain and muscle pain. I have arthritis in my hip and now the pain is much worse. I read these can be side effects. I don't really know when I have a UTI because I catherize myself. I do get some back pain and some lower abdominal pain and my urine showed I did have an infection. I'm a diabetic and it's causing low blood sugars. I don't like the Macrobid and have been on Cipro in the past which didn't cause any side effects. Today is Friday and my doctor won't be back till Tuesday. I'll try to stick it out, but if I feel worse tomorrow I'm going to stop taking it and wait till Tuesday when my doctor is back."

Jeannie (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2018

"I have foolishly taken macrobid twice for the same infection. It seems to clear it up but actually it reappeared within two weeks. Both time had a severe reaction. High fever alternating with chills No energy whatsoever Sleeping all the time Terrible headaches Nausea Unable to eat no appetite whatsoever Dry mouth no saliva to the extent my mouth stuck together overnight and my lips cracked and it felt like I had a trout pout my mouth was so swollen tongue fuzzed up and feeling like sandpaper. These drugs are cruel, I will tell my GP I cannot take ever again , I went downhill from getting the drugs, at first I imagined it was the infection coming out or maybe worse, I have a cancer, but I really should have read these reviews the negatives are spot on. I too was referred to ER who probably weren’t aware of the side effects or that they could be so bad"

Janey (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018

"UTI with very mild symptoms but I was traveling so I wanted to get something to take care of it pronto. Doctor said Macrobid (two 100mg for 7 days) had 85% success rate, so that sounded pretty good to me. Second day on it I was driving on the 10 freeway in Los Angeles and had to pull over from unbelievable anxiety. It felt like I had a “tunnel vision” like perspective. These side effects progressed so I stopped the medication after the 3rd day. Side effects didn’t go away. The night after I stopped taking Macrobid I was up until 2am with what felt like an insane flu. I almost drove myself to the ER because I thought the UTI spread (?) I was so confused by what was going on. This is 3rd day off this drug and still dealing with side effects."

J. (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018

"How does anyone take this drug? Severe migraine, severe nausea...you can't complete the course of therapy if you're sick in bed. There are better choices out there."

Ruffryde (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2018

"Took one pill a couple of months ago & violently vomited several hours later. Tried again yesterday. Took 2 doses. Nausea & vomiting followed a few. Hours later. I took it exactly as directed with food."

Lin (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2018

"I used this twice daily for 7 days for my UTI. It got rid of my worst symptoms but it didn’t completely get rid of the infection. After 7 days I still have mild symptoms and I just checked with the doctor and I still have the UTI infection. He just me prescribed Cipro. Hopefully that works."

Layla (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2018

"Was prescribed this during my first trip to the National health service (NHS) since moving to England. Typical UTI, and the timing made sense, so I knew the routine. I was prescribed Macrobid because "we have a better drug for UTI over here that isn't being used in the states and you should try it". It was at least 36 hours before I started to feel symptoms going away, which I found troublesome - my trusty Cipro always worked within a couple hours. I'm currently on day 5 of 7, and have found every night I wake up after about three hours sleep both with stomach cramps and completely ravenous. I'm so sleepy, I can barely complete a day at the office before coming home and passing out. I've thankfully not had the headaches others have described, but between the stomach aches, the drastic sleepiness, and delay in relief (which makes me scared of return soon as meds are done) I will definitely be requesting Cipro if there is a next time."

NHS Newbie March 3, 2018

"This is my second time taking this med for a UTI. Last time I took it I thought the horrible stomach pain, fever, chills, aches all over and pounding headache worse than my migraines was due to the infection because it took so long for it to clear. This time I have a milder infection and Today I started to feel better until I took this drug, and almost immediately the side effects kicked in so bad was bedridden, again. Yesterday I wasn’t able to get out of bed all day. I woke up crying the first morning I was in so much pain. I’m going to call my dr first thing tomorrow bc this is torture, and after reading these reviews and feeling so much better today before I took it, I know its the drug and not my infection. And the first time I took this med, I was sick for two weeks after. My dr refused to write me a note for work because they said that “you don’t get that sick from this type of infection”"

P (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2018

"I was prescribed Macrobid for UTI. I have taken it once before and had to come off it. This time the first day I took it had massive headache. I get migraines but this felt like my head was being crushed. I could barely move from bed. Had to have those cold migraine strips on my forehead. The pain was horrendous. First three days had headache. Felt nauseous, anxious, heart was palpitating, had no energy. Felt like I was going to fall over. Went to urgent care again and they cultured my urine and said if they found something that wouldn't respond to Macrobid they would contact me. Finished yesterday and still don't feel myself. I hope tomorrow is a better day."

Londonlisa February 21, 2018

"While Macrobid got rid of my symptoms quickly, less than one month later, it’s was back and worse than the first time. Nurse at the clinic told me they and over a dozen people coming back for a UTI after being prescribed Macrobid. Don’t be shy with you doctor if they prescribe this med. Total waste of time and money!!!"

McShe (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2018

"I’ve gotten UTI’s periodically throughout my life and since becoming sexually active I typically get an infection 1-2x/yr. I am very diligent with my hygiene and take preventative measures, yet I still get them on occasion. This time around I was prescribed Macrobid to take 2x/day for 5 days. I have taken this medication once before and it successfully treated my UTI. This time however, on my fourth day of taking this medication I could still feel my symptoms through the AZO pills (which I was taking around the clock all 4 days). I was worried the antibiotics weren’t working, but I gave them a chance. I want to note that I also experienced HIGH anxiety throughout the duration of this UTI. Anyway, 24 hours after finishing my prescription, the UTI was back in full force. I had to go in for a urine culture and was given a different antibiotic (Cephalexin) which I start today. Hoping this will be the solution. It’s been a miserable week."

24 y/o female February 12, 2018

"Awful, thought I was going to die, sweats, fever, tight chest etc, confusion. Imagine a Flu bug that you wouldn't wish on you're worst enemy that is this awful product!!"

Tomtom61971 (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2018

"Was diagnosed with a UTI and was prescribed macrobid. Day 1 I was super tired but didn't pay no mind to it. Second day 2nd dose it's like I got run over millions of times. Super tired nausea vomiting stomach pain dizzy chills night sweats loss of appetite crazy he'll headaches. I just continued to take it thinking it was my UTI. After day 3 dose 5 I knew it was the medicine so had to stop it. Felt so bad and just couldn't do anything. I have been off it for 5 days and still feeling chills and dizziness. Hopefully it goes away soon. Will make an appointment with a doctor by Thursday if not a 100%"

Cindy0723 January 29, 2018

"I was prescribed the generic of Macrobid for a UTI. The last day of the treatment, early evening I started with severe chills which ended up being a very high fever. The next day I was not able to lift my head off pillow as my head was pounding and now my temp is over 102. I was taken to ER. ER could not find ANYTHING wrong with me. I was brought back to ER within 30 hours with 102.9 fever, covered in rash, ALL joints huge, red and painful, bottoms of feet burning lost the ability to walk without a 2 man assist. I was admitted to the hospital and spent 5 days with doctors testing everything possible for an answer. The answer was severed adverse allergic reaction to this hideous medicine."

Aletha61 January 24, 2018

"This is just my 3rd day on this medication and I am not sure what to do. I vomit about 2-3 hours after a dosage, loose stool, horrible smelling gas , upset stomach and neon green urine. However my UTI appears to be going away. I never want to experience this again."

QuiCiCi January 24, 2018

"I was prescribed this poison by my doctor for a UTI. One capsule to be taken every 12 hours after 5 tablets I had to stop them I thought I was going to die. I can’t remember when I last felt so ill. It seems to have cleared the UTI but at what cost it has been a week now and still not feeling well. I hope it clears up soon. I’ll never take macrobid again. I think doctors must tell us about the side affects of this drug when prescribing it so we can make our mind up if we want to take it. We know that most drugs have side affects but believe me you don’t want the ones you get with macrobid. Get an alternative anti biotic for a UTI if you can please be aware"

Doddo (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2018

"After first day of taking this medication, I started noticing a soreness in my neck. It got increasingly worse each day. I contacted the doctor and was told to discontinue taking it. I stopped yesterday and still have a very sore gland in my neck. It hurts when I swallow."

Scalab (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2018

"I'm wondering from the occasional decent reviews on here if there is a high-quality version of this drug that my insurance has cheated me out of. Because I have the horrible version and am suffering 20x more than what the UTI was giving me. HORRIBLE headache - Tylenol not effective and afraid to take anything else due to the nausea. Already allergic to one of the UTI antibiotics so I'm reluctuant to give this up after only 2 days but they have been 2 AWFUL days. If only drugs were capable of targeting our specific problem without killing off the rest of our body! Be prepared for the possibility you may not be able to work while on this - I sure as heck can't."

SickInMI (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2018

"Never seen my daughter so ill. Called an ambulance tonight as since being prescribed these last week. She has vomited daily. Been in so much pain with no effect from these new tablets. The other nittrofurantion were small white tablets that work in one or two days. These cheap nasty drugs are in capsule form by MicroBID. With some other ingredient to make sure the penicillin works. They worked perfectly well. Another cheap nasty substitute to save money. Avoid like the plague and insist on your normal tiny white tablets. These are hideous and the side effects are savage. Will be filling in the yellow card. Discussed the harm and distress they have caused. Did nothing for the kidney infection. Scandalous"

Annoyed parent January 11, 2018

"This antibiotic is the absolute worst antibiotics I have ever taken in my life. Not only did it not cure my infection it gave me horrific side effects. Within 3 to 4 hours of taking the tablets I was sick and had the worst headache of my life and I suffer from migraine and this didn't even compare. It felt like my skull was been squashed. After 48 hours of shaking, sickness, weakness and headaches I stopped taking the tablets and went back to doctors. What went from a mild kidney infection, I was nearly hospitalised. DO NOT TAKE THESE TABLETS! Unless you wanna feel like you wanna die."

Melissa.harrison2014 January 11, 2018

"I was prescribed this medication for a UTI while preg. 100 MG 2x a day for 7 days. I started the first dose at night so I took it & went to sleep. I took each dose with food as advised. By the evening of the 2nd night I had a terrible headache & a stiff achy neck. Let me reiterate the headache... I read the reviews but I really feel like I should emphasize this headache. I was in bed all afternoon & Tylenol did not help. The next day was the same. The morning was fine but by the afternoon/evening I had neck pain & that TERRIBLE headache. Now after the 5th dose or so the headaches & neck pain eased off for me."

JennSC87 (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2018

"Yes it worked and got rid of my UTI, but side effects are just horrible and so frustrating as I have previously had other antibiotics for a UTI that had no side effects and worked perfectly fine. Headaches and stomach aches for the whole 7 days. I would definitely ask for an alternative."

KFAS January 8, 2018

"I took two 100 milligram capsules and felt like death. I was extremely exhausted, had a low grade fever and woke up in cold sweats. I must be highly allergic to this medication."

Mememe34678 January 8, 2018