User Reviews for Macrobid

Learn more about Macrobid.

Macrobid Rating Summary

4.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 384 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Macrobid to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"by end of day one (2 doses) I felt very tired. Day two I woke up weak, fatigued, achey but was advised to stay on Macrobid as the UTI symptoms had improved. As day wore on (3 doses) I became increasingly tired, no energy, headache, sensation of heart racing, nausea. Another call to provider and they suggested I switch to Cipro. Before I could do that, an episode of nausea sent me to the bathroom. I passed out, hit my head and ended up hospitalized. I would be very afraid of this medication, considering the other options."

Weed93 July 27, 2016

"This drug is fine for me. It makes me feel foggy, tired and just out of sorts for a few hours but i can still function. The headaches are the worst part. I'm on day 4 so I'm sticking it out!"

knbarnes (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016

"I started taking 100mg of macrobid twice a day on Wednesday evening. It is now Tuesday, I have two pills left. One for this morning and one for tonight. I can't wait to be off this medication. My uti symptoms were gone between day one and two but I was told to take all the medication even if it gets better. I take this medication at 8am and 8pm. From about 4pm-6pm I am extremely nauseous, it's horrible. Then I also wake up off and on from 4-6am because of nausea. I always take the pill with a meal so I don't know why I'm still experiencing the nausea. That's the only bad side effect I have experienced so far. Can't wait to be done with this medication!"

shreffy (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016

"I took Macrobid 100mg twice a day for 7 days. I had no symptoms at all, except day 1 I had an upset tummy. But I can't for sure say that was caused by this antibiotic. I'm very sensitive to a lot of medications and I was really surprised Macrobid didn't give me any problems. I think a lot of people don't realize how crazy a UTI can actually get. You can get some pretty awful symptoms/side effects just from the UTI itself. Blurred vision, headaches and nausea are all side effects of a UTI, not just the antibiotic. I caught my UTI in time and had no symptoms from this antibiotic. There is a reason older people in their 70's and up go mental when they have a UTI. It's a serious condition."

alwayscoffee (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2016

"Was prescribed this medication for my UTI. After taking my second pill, I started experiencing severe migraines and blurred vision. It was so bad that I couldn't drive. I stopped taking it yesterday and my vision is still not 100%. I recommend people try this for a day and observe your bodies reaction. Lots of people have a bad reaction to this medication (Ive NEVER had a reaction to medication in my life only this one). If your sensitive to certain medication I highly recommend you don't take this one."

MQM9999 July 22, 2016

"Have anxiety issues and think this medicine affected my anxiety...felt a bit lightheaded and nauseous and had a panic attack. Not sure if it the macrobid or pyridium. Symptoms of UT I better but not totally gone yet."

Mammadee (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

"I am currently on day 2 of macrobid, 2x daily for 5 days. Pharmacist was sure to emphasize to take macrobid with food to prevent nausea. So far, I have no nausea, but have developed a terrible headache. I must say, that pain of the UTI was gone within two hours of taking my first dose, which is worth it to me. So I'll be sticking this one out and hope the headache doesn't worsen."

Ali18 July 8, 2016

"When taking macrobid I felt slightly nauseous and had a headache for a few hours. My advice is to eat a light meal with it. I didn't hence I felt sick. After 5 days symptoms improved though. Glad I stuck through it the last 4-5 days :)"

Teppers (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2016

"3 months ago I was on Macrobid for a UTI. On the 5th day of taking it (last day), I had a hard time breathing during the night and I thought that I was catching a cold or something. It went away fairly quickly so I didn't associate it with this antibiotic until yesterday. I have another UTI and was prescribed Macrobid again. It worked great in taking away my UTI the first time, so I didn't think anything of it. Took the first dose yesterday morning with food and was fine. Took the 2nd dose before bed with food and that's when I realized I made a mistake. I was up ALL night because I was having a HARD time breathing. I felt like I couldn't catch my breath. When I got up this morning and saw the side effects. How scary!"

Weebs123 June 16, 2016

"After reading the reviews for this antibiotic, I was terrified to even take it. I went to urgent care in Orlando because I had gotten a uti during my vacation in Disney World, so it wasn't even my own doctor prescribing me the medication. I was prescribed 100 mg to take 2 times a day for 7 days. The majority of people claimed to have horrible side effects, but I did not have any, besides small stomach cramps a couple hours after taking the pill. Do not let the reviews scare you. Everyone is different! My only complaint is that it worked so slowly. It took 6 days for all of my symptoms to completely clear up. Now I have to wait and see if the infection comes back."

MirandaPanda14 (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2016

"I wish I would have read these reviews before I started taking this medication! I feel soooo sick! I started to wonder if I have something really serious like cancer. I am so weak. One minute I am drenched in sweat and then I have chills so bad no amount of blankets will warm me. I can't get out of bed and I must go to work tomorrow. I am a teacher and I have parent/teacher conferences! I constantly have a fever of 101 or higher! Why would they prescribe this medication to any one. Too many people have the same terrible side effects!"

Ogarc3 (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2016

"I was put on this antibiotic to take after I had sex, it was my last hope I get a UTI every time me and my boyfriend have had sex and have 18 since January. Anyway I took this pill in hope it will be the only thing to work for me I'm only on my second dose so I cannot give an accurate answer but so far my ratings are not good after taking true first pill it worked however the next time I had sex with my boyfriend I took this antibiotic and felt the symptoms of a UTI coming back on, the side effects I experienced on this pill were also fast heart beat, drowsiness, waking up in the middle of the night neaseous and shortness in breath which is very scary when trying to sleep, good luck to anyone taking this antibiotic as I give up."

Elljade June 4, 2016

"Wasted my money on this antibiotic. Made me feel so nauseated for several hours after taking it, & gave me diarrhea, but I tried it for four days, twice daily, hoping it might treat the UTI I had it prescribed for. No such luck Yet. Still having symptoms of burning, urgency and frequency; now I'll be going back to the clinic, to wait for hours and get a new script. Wait in line at the pharmacy, pay more money...Such a waste of precious time, money & sick leave."

Jobogru (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2016

"I was prescribed Macrobid in a third world country by an urgent care doctor. So I'm not sure if or how it might differ from the US formulation. I experienced absolutely no negative side effects. Not even fatigue. However, the pain and discomfort from the UTI returns right around the time I need to take my next pill (2x daily for 7 days). After I take the pill, the pain goes away. But after finishing all of my prescribed Macrobid, I still have some discomfort so I feel as though it did not clear up the infection."

CH2016123 (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2016

"Took this drug for 3 days.The infection got better after 2 doses. However, I slowly developed headaches and a little chills on the 2nd day of treatment. Thought I might be getting a bit of flu so I ignored the symptoms and continue my medication. As soon as I took the last dose, my symptoms got worst. I was so weak I could hardly walk. My eyes got blurry and generally nauseous and drowsy. As I type this, I still have all this symptoms with raised heart beat, occasional numbness of my hands and feet. All I want is to sleep but too scared to sleep just in case it got worst. Nonetheless, the medicine does the job as it cleared my infection after two days of taking it but it gave me a bad experience so am not taking this drug again."

pen01 May 11, 2016

"Took Macrobid for five days. It caused constant nervousness/jitteriness and I could not sleep. Two days after Macrobid regime was done, my UTI started up again. So much pain and suffering for nothing. What upsets me the most is that I had told the nurse at the clinic that Cipro works for me, and she prescribed Macrobid instead! Some people are worse than useless."

Apple Annie April 27, 2016

"I was wondering why I was so fatigued and now the mystery is solved thanks to this page. It has alleviated the UTI symptoms but from reading through the board, it looks like there are better options."

sullspinn (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016

"After being diagnosed with a UTI, I was given macrobid 100mg 2xday. The first day was fine. On the second day, I noticed a lot of stomach pain after taking each dose. On the 3rd day, I woke up with a headache, abdominal pain, and a weak and ill feeling. I called my doctor to see if i could get switched to another medication. I felt ill, foggy headed and anxious the rest of that day. I did not like this medication and won't take it again."

Jillybean2 (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

"I would not choose this drug again. SEVERE abd pain, i was in clinical on the 3 day of it and i barely could walk, it gets worse when i sat down. The pain is so bad i almost passed out. Do NOT recommend this to any one!!"

RebeccaBecca April 5, 2016

"After day 3, had difficulty swallowing and terrible anxiety badly enough that I couldn't swallow pills or food without regurgitation. I started taking Prilosec thinking acid reflux. Even an Advil pill creeped up my esophagus and lodged into my throat. It went from bad to worse. Was living on a liquid diet. Had to see a Gastro doc and Ear Nose and Throat doc. My throat was scoped, found nothing. 3 days after getting off both Macrobid and Prilosec my symptoms went away. Fourth day off was given a swallow test which I passed. I am now able to eat solid foods without feeling as if I am going to choke to death."

WickedChowdah (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2016

"terrible pain continuously in shoulder arm neck legs macroBid side effects crying because of severity of pain depressing pain hope i am not permanately damaged bymacroBid will report to GP feelings of DOOM"

trynomore (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2016

"Took 2 pills...... TWO PILLS!! Spent 3 hours in the ER with rapid heartbeats (over 100), chest tightness, anxiousness and the shakes. Hospital did an array of tests and told me to stop taking...... No sheet. Now the bad news..... Other doctor told me it can take up to a week to get drug out of system...... My advice..... Take one and wait a day or so to see how body responds...... In my case this pill was garbage and dangerous..... I have never had a reaction to a medicine like this...... Stay away from this antibiotic....."

Studad1 March 31, 2016

"I got a UTI maybe a couple days after my cycle ended and was trying to do home remedies, but my boss told me it's better to get antibiotics so I don't end up in the ER. I am on my third day of Macrobid and the only thing it really does is make me feel better, aside from using my energy to help me get better. So I really only feel fatigue, but I drink lots of water or things with Vitamin C, to help as well, and I take the capsule with bread. Other than the fatigue, it's dealing with my UTI so I can't complain."

lululuvscats February 26, 2016

"This drug is going on my "Do Not Prescribe" list. After a day and a half on it, the fatigue was so bad I could barely function. No one claimed to know anything about this side effect, but when I looked it up I kept seeing it happening to users again and again. It helped my UTI, but I couldn't get off the couch. I phoned my doctor and was switched to Cipro. After skipping my evening dose of Macrobid and taking Cipro instead, I felt almost normal the next day. Be very, very cautious about using this drug."

E.C. February 23, 2016

"Took 1 pill woke up with rapid heartbeat 117 , chills, fever, head pressure, blood pressure high and nausea. It's been 4 hrs and heartbeat not back to normal. Beware, this is one bad drug"

horrible February 13, 2016