User Reviews for Macrobid

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Macrobid.

Macrobid Rating Summary

4.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 383 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Macrobid to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"While Macrobid got rid of my symptoms quickly, less than one month later, it’s was back and worse than the first time. Nurse at the clinic told me they and over a dozen people coming back for a UTI after being prescribed Macrobid. Don’t be shy with you doctor if they prescribe this med. Total waste of time and money!!!"

McShe (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2018

"I’ve gotten UTI’s periodically throughout my life and since becoming sexually active I typically get an infection 1-2x/yr. I am very diligent with my hygiene and take preventative measures, yet I still get them on occasion. This time around I was prescribed Macrobid to take 2x/day for 5 days. I have taken this medication once before and it successfully treated my UTI. This time however, on my fourth day of taking this medication I could still feel my symptoms through the AZO pills (which I was taking around the clock all 4 days). I was worried the antibiotics weren’t working, but I gave them a chance. I want to note that I also experienced HIGH anxiety throughout the duration of this UTI. Anyway, 24 hours after finishing my prescription, the UTI was back in full force. I had to go in for a urine culture and was given a different antibiotic (Cephalexin) which I start today. Hoping this will be the solution. It’s been a miserable week."

24 y/o female February 12, 2018

"Awful, thought I was going to die, sweats, fever, tight chest etc, confusion. Imagine a Flu bug that you wouldn't wish on you're worst enemy that is this awful product!!"

Tomtom61971 (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2018

"Was diagnosed with a UTI and was prescribed macrobid. Day 1 I was super tired but didn't pay no mind to it. Second day 2nd dose it's like I got run over millions of times. Super tired nausea vomiting stomach pain dizzy chills night sweats loss of appetite crazy he'll headaches. I just continued to take it thinking it was my UTI. After day 3 dose 5 I knew it was the medicine so had to stop it. Felt so bad and just couldn't do anything. I have been off it for 5 days and still feeling chills and dizziness. Hopefully it goes away soon. Will make an appointment with a doctor by Thursday if not a 100%"

Cindy0723 January 29, 2018

"I was prescribed the generic of Macrobid for a UTI. The last day of the treatment, early evening I started with severe chills which ended up being a very high fever. The next day I was not able to lift my head off pillow as my head was pounding and now my temp is over 102. I was taken to ER. ER could not find ANYTHING wrong with me. I was brought back to ER within 30 hours with 102.9 fever, covered in rash, ALL joints huge, red and painful, bottoms of feet burning lost the ability to walk without a 2 man assist. I was admitted to the hospital and spent 5 days with doctors testing everything possible for an answer. The answer was severed adverse allergic reaction to this hideous medicine."

Aletha61 January 24, 2018

"This is just my 3rd day on this medication and I am not sure what to do. I vomit about 2-3 hours after a dosage, loose stool, horrible smelling gas , upset stomach and neon green urine. However my UTI appears to be going away. I never want to experience this again."

QuiCiCi January 24, 2018

"I was prescribed this poison by my doctor for a UTI. One capsule to be taken every 12 hours after 5 tablets I had to stop them I thought I was going to die. I can’t remember when I last felt so ill. It seems to have cleared the UTI but at what cost it has been a week now and still not feeling well. I hope it clears up soon. I’ll never take macrobid again. I think doctors must tell us about the side affects of this drug when prescribing it so we can make our mind up if we want to take it. We know that most drugs have side affects but believe me you don’t want the ones you get with macrobid. Get an alternative anti biotic for a UTI if you can please be aware"

Doddo (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2018

"After first day of taking this medication, I started noticing a soreness in my neck. It got increasingly worse each day. I contacted the doctor and was told to discontinue taking it. I stopped yesterday and still have a very sore gland in my neck. It hurts when I swallow."

Scalab (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2018

"I'm wondering from the occasional decent reviews on here if there is a high-quality version of this drug that my insurance has cheated me out of. Because I have the horrible version and am suffering 20x more than what the UTI was giving me. HORRIBLE headache - Tylenol not effective and afraid to take anything else due to the nausea. Already allergic to one of the UTI antibiotics so I'm reluctuant to give this up after only 2 days but they have been 2 AWFUL days. If only drugs were capable of targeting our specific problem without killing off the rest of our body! Be prepared for the possibility you may not be able to work while on this - I sure as heck can't."

SickInMI (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2018

"Never seen my daughter so ill. Called an ambulance tonight as since being prescribed these last week. She has vomited daily. Been in so much pain with no effect from these new tablets. The other nittrofurantion were small white tablets that work in one or two days. These cheap nasty drugs are in capsule form by MicroBID. With some other ingredient to make sure the penicillin works. They worked perfectly well. Another cheap nasty substitute to save money. Avoid like the plague and insist on your normal tiny white tablets. These are hideous and the side effects are savage. Will be filling in the yellow card. Discussed the harm and distress they have caused. Did nothing for the kidney infection. Scandalous"

Annoyed parent January 11, 2018

"This antibiotic is the absolute worst antibiotics I have ever taken in my life. Not only did it not cure my infection it gave me horrific side effects. Within 3 to 4 hours of taking the tablets I was sick and had the worst headache of my life and I suffer from migraine and this didn't even compare. It felt like my skull was been squashed. After 48 hours of shaking, sickness, weakness and headaches I stopped taking the tablets and went back to doctors. What went from a mild kidney infection, I was nearly hospitalised. DO NOT TAKE THESE TABLETS! Unless you wanna feel like you wanna die."

Melissa.harrison2014 January 11, 2018

"I was prescribed this medication for a UTI while preg. 100 MG 2x a day for 7 days. I started the first dose at night so I took it & went to sleep. I took each dose with food as advised. By the evening of the 2nd night I had a terrible headache & a stiff achy neck. Let me reiterate the headache... I read the reviews but I really feel like I should emphasize this headache. I was in bed all afternoon & Tylenol did not help. The next day was the same. The morning was fine but by the afternoon/evening I had neck pain & that TERRIBLE headache. Now after the 5th dose or so the headaches & neck pain eased off for me."

JennSC87 (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2018

"Yes it worked and got rid of my UTI, but side effects are just horrible and so frustrating as I have previously had other antibiotics for a UTI that had no side effects and worked perfectly fine. Headaches and stomach aches for the whole 7 days. I would definitely ask for an alternative."

KFAS January 8, 2018

"I took two 100 milligram capsules and felt like death. I was extremely exhausted, had a low grade fever and woke up in cold sweats. I must be highly allergic to this medication."

Mememe34678 January 8, 2018

"Used for: UTI with susceptible E Coli in urine culture Course: 100 mg 2x daily for 7 days. I saw the positive effect on the 3rd day, which is later than with other antibiotics. Always took it with food or milk. First 2 days, I had legit migraines. Also, had a mild fever after the very 1st dose. Then, the sleepiness and 'brain tension' (literally, some tension in the brain :) ) kicked in. Unfortunately, the symptoms came back 12 hrs after the last dose, but I don't blame it on the drug. So, it should work for less severe cases and the side effects are tolerable. Go for it."

Tarragon83 December 24, 2017

"I read one comment stating that symptoms while taking this med were due to the UTI itself. I can tell you from hard experience that this med has side effects, maybe not for all, but certainly for me. This has been my third and last bout with this med. I was encouraged to take it twice, and had the same symptoms - severe headache, body aches, chills, nausea and vomiting, and diarrhea. The second time, I reported this and was switched to Bactrim, which I have never had a problem with. This time, I went to a doc in the box and Macrobid was prescribed again because it was the only med not to interact with my other meds. Same problems occurred. I am just recovering after 2 days of hell. This is real."

Nurse Kell December 23, 2017

"I was so scared to take this after reading the reviews but I had very little side effects, just a slight headache and a horrible taste in my mouth. I was given 100mg twice a day for 7 days. It seemed to work after a few days but now I’ve finished my course it has came back but just not as severe."

Rebeccaleannexoxo December 14, 2017

"I've read many comments on here which make it sound like this drug is quite scary, but after going through many of the symptoms BEFORE even taking the drug, I've come to the conclusion the symptoms many people speak of are actually the symptoms of the kidney/urinary tract infection itself. It is awful! I am extremely sensitive to the lowest dose drugs but I was given 100mg of the slow release form of this drug. I have had no bad side effects from the drug - maybe a bit of drowsiness but that could also be because I'm pregnant. As predicted, it made my pee a funny colour but that is what is meant to happen. I have one more pill to take, whether it's got rid of the UTI, I'm sure it has as my pee no longer smells horrendous."

Fayetography (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2017

"I took this medicine for only 3 days. It’s is the worse antibiotics I took my whole life. If I could say anything it would be: DONT EVER TRY IT. You will feel almost dead. After 24 hours without this I’m feeling much better, not 100% but 50%. Don’t take this drug! It’s a poison!"

Julia melo (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2017

"I cannot believe that it's even legal to sell this poison. Horrible side effects and not worth the risk, only took 3 pills and got extremely sick with body aches, headaches, intestinal problems, etc."

Abbey's Mom December 6, 2017

"I took 2 capsules on day 1 and by evening, time for dose 3, I had joint pain, a fever, chills and a headache. I thought I was getting the flu. Day 2 I was so weak I could not get out of bed nor eat. Took another capsule as I did not think a medication could cause this. By evening I was so sick I called my doc and he said to go to the ER. Thankfully I did. By the time I got there my Liver function was extremely impaired. Instead of being in the 9-35 range it was 667! After a day in the ER I was admitted to the hospital for 4 days. It took over 8 months for my Liver function to come down under 100. I don't drink or take either medications. The doc said this was a text book adverse reaction in the extreme."

Deenah (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2017

"Can't even explain how bad this made me feel. SERIOUSLY thought I was dying. Chills...Sweating ...throwing up...I actually passed out on my bathroom bath. My chest pain was so bad I thought I was having a heart attack. No desire to eat...I've never had a problem with meds like this before in my life. Never again. I took it for 2 days and stopped. Be cautious."

Nikki hidey November 29, 2017

"Extreme drowsiness. Never felt quite this drowsy from taking a medication. I’m vomiting every hour or so, I feel so sick, I don’t even want to leave my bed. It seems to be working for my UTI however so that’s good. Maybe it’s meant to flush your system out which is why most people puke? Who knows."

Stirlingarcher November 26, 2017

"I have been so ill for days I get sick a lot so I tried to brush it off but it’s to the point I was considering going to the hospital. I’m vomiting so bad it’s painful. I think about recently being prescribed this med and notice that oh it’s this damn pill that has me so violently ill. I’m still vomiting violently that’s not even right. Omg someone save me lol also tired achy skin blisters feel off like speedy light headed. Def no longer taking them"

Skullsnroses13 November 12, 2017

"Macrobid did nothing to eliminate my UTI. It was a failure just like amoxicillian. I was a bit nauseous at first but nothing that affected me. I took it for ten days."

Stephen20000 (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017