User Reviews for Macrobid

Learn more about Macrobid.

Macrobid Rating Summary

4.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 383 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Macrobid to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"I took this drug after being prescribed it for a UTI. I read some reviews after feeling a little weird but figured I would push through. I called my doctor after taking two pills and the nurse told me to wait it out and see if it gets worse. Things got worse very quick. What began as a little bit of nausea, ended with body aches, leg cramps, intense chills, night sweats, dizziness, confusion, to fainting twice (terrifying), to getting a vaginal infection because of this drug. My UTI symptoms have gotten better, but the pain from my VI is unbearable, and how I feel from this drug is terrible. NOT worth it...do not take this drug. P.S. I only got through taking FOUR pills, out of my prescribed ten. I am going to the doctor today, again.:("

Adele1995 June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After having severe headache and vomiting with a sulfa drug, I was put on Macrobid for my UTI. I got a little headache after second dose, but popped a Tylenol. Also, made sure I took my pills with food. I was able to finish the full regimen and although the UTI took a bit longer to get kicked out, the Macrobid worked. It really wasn't bad at all to take. I have many food allergies, too, and was able to tolerate Macrobid pretty well."

Missalergies (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The second I took my first pill instant relief! It took away the heavy pressure and by the 2nd one could go to the washroom normally. But itchy and thats ok I dealt with it"

lashgirl June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Awful medicine, the worst. The side effects outweigh the benefit. Headache the first night, leg and back pain, Sensitive skin, just awful. Pain got worse and worse. I changed my meds to ciproflaxcin. I have used this in the past so hopefully, it will continue to help. I even questioned the doc at urgent care to see if I can take cipro and she offered macrobid. Maybe this urgent care and this medication is something they get a deal on....stay away from macrobid."

Mirchi (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I get UTIs pretty frequently, so as soon as I felt the symptoms coming on I went to an urgent care. The first day of macrobid I got a headache. The second day I had severe headache, body aches, weakness and malaise. However, I thought it was just my illness, because I have never had an experience like this with medication before. Day 3, I am in hell and sicker than a dog. Severe headache, nausea, light headed, weak, fatigued. I called in for Bactrim. DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION. I get that not everyone has this reaction, but the risk is not worth it to me."

normalworkingwoman (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was scared out of my wits to take this antibiotic after reading these reviews but I am here to put your minds at ease. I'm highly allergic to penicillin & NSAIDs (Ibuprofen) so I have wicked medication anxiety when it comes to taking anything new. I had to take this for 5 days & I was warned when I received this medication that it would cause dizziness, nausea, upset stomach, and loose stools. Which is all I experienced with this pill. On the first day I had nausea, upset stomach, & diarrhea, the second day I had nausea & dizziness, on the 3rd day I had nausea, upset stomach, & diarrhea. The every other day of symptoms pattern continued the whole time I took this. Make sure you have a full stock of toilet paper at home. Pill tastes nasty"

M00000 June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking macrobid (well the generic version) for three days and I woke up this morning feeling AWFUL. I had a migraine all day yesterday but didn't really associate it with anything as I suffer from them often. This morning I woke up nauseous, dizzy and achy all over. I just took another dose and it occurred to me that the medication might be causing my symptoms so I looked it up and from all the reviews here it seems pretty common. I want my UTI to be cleared up but I don't want to continue feeling like this for four more days."

Albrowne (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lack of sleep, problem sleeping, lying down then falling into a void Anxiety. Had NONE of these side affects before taking this medicine, I slept soundly before ...."

Cheryl 72 May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Avoid this medication AT ALL COSTS! Although it may not cause side effects for some, I was one of the many unlucky ones who experienced terrible problems. I have never had a problem with any antibiotics except Sulfa drugs before, but this medication left me nauseated, vomiting, dealing with chills for hours, shaking so hard I couldn't move, and with a terrible headache. I haven't taken a dose in 12 hours (with my doctor's suggestion), and the headache is just now going away. It took about 8 hours for the shaking to stop. At one point it was so bad that I thought I was going to have to go to the ER. I was only two doses in, as well. This was worse than the Sulfa reaction I had!"

Skathlee May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Interesting reading about the flu like symptoms after coming back from our holiday with a UTI. I started the pills on Monday and that night I had all the flu symptoms and it was horrible but never thought it was the antibiotics so thank you. I'm covered in a rash which isn't itchy thank goodness but wow it's everywhere. Only 5 days worth but it's working. Thanks for sharing."

Canadian gal May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had abdominal discomfort, burning sensation, and blood after urination. Urgent care diagnosed me with an UTI. They prescribed this for me and after taking one pill my symptoms started to subside. I have only experienced slight headache but no other significant side affects. My urine however did turn a different kind of yellow but when looking at the packaging this is normal and doesn't warrant concern. Great antibiotic."

Katyrn313 April 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Before your freak out thinking that you're gonna have the worst experience ever on this drug, don't! Most people who have good experiences don't come to these sites and write reviews, it's always the bad ones! I have terrible health anxiety and I'm sensitive to lots of drugs. I also had C diff 3 months ago (cured by at home Fecal Microbiota Transplantation) so taking an antibiotic again was pretty scary for me. The side effects I got were a slight headache and nausea for a couple hours after each pill, some gas but no other digestive issues (thank goodness!!!). I was feeling better on the 4th day and have one more day to go. Take it with bread to make it easier on your stomach."

Anonymous April 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Very good experience with some minor side effects.....minor and worth having rather than being in the hospital with a kidney infection! I read some of the reviews on here. I have health anxiety and a bit of hypochondria and I am afraid to take medications. I was hesitant to take this one as well after reading the reviews. Only side effects I felt was some mild diarrhea, headache, some muscle aches, fatigue, mild pelvic and side pain and chills (which could have been from the UTI rather than a side effect of the medication). Please take the bad reviews with a grain of salt. Everyone responds differently to medications and my experience was good with this. Don't take UTI's lightly as they can lead into more serious problems."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My dr wanted to give me Cipro or Bactrim but since I have a pill complex, I asked for something smaller. He prescribed Macrobid and I came to this site to apparently scare myself before taking it. Well I'm here to tell you that this antibiotic was GREAT! As someone who has colitis and constant headaches, both triggered by virtually anything, neither were affected by this drug. I experienced zero side effects. I took 100mg twice a day for 5 days. I would take 1 capsule right after breakfast and 1 capsule right after dinner so it was always accompanying a meal. 5 days later, urine culture came back negative. This worked great for me! I didn't start feeling pain relief til day 4 though. Hang in there and take with meals."

keleliwei22 (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Macrobid yesterday and I felt okay but today I've had the most horrible painful stomach cramps and the weirdest constipated diarrhea I have ever had. I am constantly feeling like I need to throw up and the bowel movements and pain are what prompted me to do some Internet digging. I have taken four of 100mg pills in two days and I refuse to take another. At work today I nearly tripped several times and I was disoriented, felt sick, and had difficulty walking straight. There are other meds out there and while I know that everyone reacts differently to medication, I seriously would not wish this stomach/abdominal pain on anyone; it is incessant and keeping me from sleeping. I pray for alleviation tomorrow but fear it may take a few days."

Napoleangirl80 (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Please don't be scared to take this medication. I read the reviews and was horrified, but honestly the drug was very tolerable. I went through 2 other medications for UTI before I was prescribed this one. First it was Bactrim, which a few hours after taking 3rd dose I got hives. Second was Ciprofloxacin Hcl 500mg and I ended up with tendinitis in both legs. Thirdly is Macrobid 100mg 2x a day for 7 days. My advice is to take it with a full meal. Only side effects I get is slight drowsiness, and nausea close to the 12 hours mark of my next dose. Eat large meals before taking Macrobid and then snack throughout the day and drink lots of fluids. You'll be ok."

Lily2006 (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've taken macrobid for 15 years for recurrent UTIs. I get UTIs about 4-6 times a year (ugh) so I've taken it a ton of times. Macrobid gets rid of my infections every single time without fail. The only side effect I have ever noticed, which is pretty annoying, is nausea for about 2 hours after taking each pill. Once in a blue moon I puke, but not usually. Eating and drinking with the pill lessens the nausea but doesn't totally prevent it. So, it does its job really well and eliminates my infections, but I do cringe when I have to take it because it sucks to endure the nausea."

ShesGotSauce February 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After 10 days on Cipro my UTI did not clear up. Pressure, frequent urination and passing gas through my vagina (yes..Frontal farting...Anyone else have this?). I'm on my 5 th day of Macrobid and have not had any unpleasant side effects...Just some loose BM and gas."

Nelly R February 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went to the ER and they determined I didn't exactly have a UTI but it was a possibility so they started me on Macrobid. I had never taken it before. Within two days I was hysterical. I had such intense migraines that I fell multiple times and couldn't see straight. My stomach was a mess, I couldn't go to the bathroom, I wanted to sleep but I couldn't fall asleep because my head was pounding too hard. I called my PCP who checked the ER records and told me I had never had a UTI to begin with and to stop the Macrobid ASAP. Once I stopped it the migraines went away, I stopped falling, my gastrointestinal system has now days later, returned to normal."

KTSM February 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I woke up a week or more ago and found myself having to pee frequently. I thought "Oh that's weird." Then it began to smell funky and I decided to go get a urinalysis done. It came back negative, but the doctor gave me some Bactrim anyway. Halfway through my treatment with Bactrim, I had an allergic reaction and called it in. They gave me Macrobid instead, and gosh is it expensive. I took it for a few days for a total of 5 days on antibiotics and my symptoms were gone, but something new was happening. I always felt fatigued and nauseated, especially when I woke up, and when I tried to eat, I felt like my appetite had left me completely. My stools had turned to diarrhea and my stomach always felt uneasy. The doc took me off them."

Ixie February 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I began to take Macrobid (Nitrofurantoin mono) 100mg caplets on last Thursday for a UTI. Within 24 hours I had severe muscle aching, headache, and fatigue. Within 2 days I had even more severe body aches, joint pain, extreme fatigue and sleepiness, dizziness and difficulty walking as well as a fever of 101-102 degrees. I went in to a walk in clinic but symptoms progressed and by Sunday I was in the ER thinking I was in septic shock. I assumed my infection had spread, I had no idea it could be a reaction to the antibiotic. After a barrage of tests including a CT scan, the only possibility is that this poison was wrecking my health. This medication caused me a huge amount of problems. I stopped taking it yesterday and still have a headache, dizziness, muscle aches and low fever. I can only hope the damage caused by Macrobid is not permanent."

Mom in NM (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was instantly sick to my stomach after first dose. Now I wonder if it was just exhaustion from being up all night with the PAIN. I am on day 3 and feel so much better that I may be back at work in the morning. I haven't had a UTI since I was very young and sort of forgot how dreadful it can get. My Dr said usually 48 hrs and one is over the worst and I think the side effects for me are extremely minimal!/"

Auntj January 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After reading all of the horrible reviews on this site I was terrified to take Macrobid. I waited two days hoping that the symptoms would clear and I wouldn't have to take this "awful poison." Everything I read talked about flu'like symptoms and high fevers..Scary stuff. I finally gave in and took my first dose around 9:00am. By around 1:00pm I had a bit of a headache which was mostly controlled with Advil. Same side effect with the second and third dose. By day three I was side effect free and nearly symptom free too. I would take this again in heartbeat. Don't let the reviews scare you. Everyone reacts differently and you can't base what your experience will be off of the bad experience others had."

PunkyBee January 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had a few UTIs recently and the antibiotics has worked every time but this time I was prescribed Macrobid and after one pill I felt pretty horrendous. The symptoms of my UTI went away but it was replaced with really scary symptoms. I took the second pill not thinking it was side effects considering I've never had a bad experience with an antibiotic but woke up during the night feeling like my breathing was so heavy I wasn't sure if I'd need to go to hospital. The headache was unreal, I ached all over and walked about feeling like I was going to fall down any minute and like I was drunk or something. Called the doctor who told me to get an antihistamine and not take another. I felt poisoned! Still not fully recovered."

Miario (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It says ON THE BOTTLE to take this medicine with food. This is probably why you are experiencing nausea and fatigue. It's a great medicine and a great alternative and preventative if you're like me and suffer from chronic UTI's."

ALN9007 January 7, 2017