User Reviews for Macrobid

Learn more about Macrobid.

Macrobid Rating Summary

5.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 381 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Macrobid to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"Had abdominal discomfort, burning sensation, and blood after urination. Urgent care diagnosed me with an UTI. They prescribed this for me and after taking one pill my symptoms started to subside. I have only experienced slight headache but no other significant side affects. My urine however did turn a different kind of yellow but when looking at the packaging this is normal and doesn't warrant concern. Great antibiotic."

Katyrn313 April 30, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Before your freak out thinking that you're gonna have the worst experience ever on this drug, don't! Most people who have good experiences don't come to these sites and write reviews, it's always the bad ones! I have terrible health anxiety and I'm sensitive to lots of drugs. I also had C diff 3 months ago (cured by at home Fecal Microbiota Transplantation) so taking an antibiotic again was pretty scary for me. The side effects I got were a slight headache and nausea for a couple hours after each pill, some gas but no other digestive issues (thank goodness!!!). I was feeling better on the 4th day and have one more day to go. Take it with bread to make it easier on your stomach."

Anonymous April 12, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Very good experience with some minor side effects.....minor and worth having rather than being in the hospital with a kidney infection! I read some of the reviews on here. I have health anxiety and a bit of hypochondria and I am afraid to take medications. I was hesitant to take this one as well after reading the reviews. Only side effects I felt was some mild diarrhea, headache, some muscle aches, fatigue, mild pelvic and side pain and chills (which could have been from the UTI rather than a side effect of the medication). Please take the bad reviews with a grain of salt. Everyone responds differently to medications and my experience was good with this. Don't take UTI's lightly as they can lead into more serious problems."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My dr wanted to give me Cipro or Bactrim but since I have a pill complex, I asked for something smaller. He prescribed Macrobid and I came to this site to apparently scare myself before taking it. Well I'm here to tell you that this antibiotic was GREAT! As someone who has colitis and constant headaches, both triggered by virtually anything, neither were affected by this drug. I experienced zero side effects. I took 100mg twice a day for 5 days. I would take 1 capsule right after breakfast and 1 capsule right after dinner so it was always accompanying a meal. 5 days later, urine culture came back negative. This worked great for me! I didn't start feeling pain relief til day 4 though. Hang in there and take with meals."

keleliwei22 (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started Macrobid yesterday and I felt okay but today I've had the most horrible painful stomach cramps and the weirdest constipated diarrhea I have ever had. I am constantly feeling like I need to throw up and the bowel movements and pain are what prompted me to do some Internet digging. I have taken four of 100mg pills in two days and I refuse to take another. At work today I nearly tripped several times and I was disoriented, felt sick, and had difficulty walking straight. There are other meds out there and while I know that everyone reacts differently to medication, I seriously would not wish this stomach/abdominal pain on anyone; it is incessant and keeping me from sleeping. I pray for alleviation tomorrow but fear it may take a few days."

Napoleangirl80 (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Please don't be scared to take this medication. I read the reviews and was horrified, but honestly the drug was very tolerable. I went through 2 other medications for UTI before I was prescribed this one. First it was Bactrim, which a few hours after taking 3rd dose I got hives. Second was Ciprofloxacin Hcl 500mg and I ended up with tendinitis in both legs. Thirdly is Macrobid 100mg 2x a day for 7 days. My advice is to take it with a full meal. Only side effects I get is slight drowsiness, and nausea close to the 12 hours mark of my next dose. Eat large meals before taking Macrobid and then snack throughout the day and drink lots of fluids. You'll be ok."

Lily2006 (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2017

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've taken macrobid for 15 years for recurrent UTIs. I get UTIs about 4-6 times a year (ugh) so I've taken it a ton of times. Macrobid gets rid of my infections every single time without fail. The only side effect I have ever noticed, which is pretty annoying, is nausea for about 2 hours after taking each pill. Once in a blue moon I puke, but not usually. Eating and drinking with the pill lessens the nausea but doesn't totally prevent it. So, it does its job really well and eliminates my infections, but I do cringe when I have to take it because it sucks to endure the nausea."

ShesGotSauce February 24, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After 10 days on Cipro my UTI did not clear up. Pressure, frequent urination and passing gas through my vagina (yes..Frontal farting...Anyone else have this?). I'm on my 5 th day of Macrobid and have not had any unpleasant side effects...Just some loose BM and gas."

Nelly R February 17, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I went to the ER and they determined I didn't exactly have a UTI but it was a possibility so they started me on Macrobid. I had never taken it before. Within two days I was hysterical. I had such intense migraines that I fell multiple times and couldn't see straight. My stomach was a mess, I couldn't go to the bathroom, I wanted to sleep but I couldn't fall asleep because my head was pounding too hard. I called my PCP who checked the ER records and told me I had never had a UTI to begin with and to stop the Macrobid ASAP. Once I stopped it the migraines went away, I stopped falling, my gastrointestinal system has now days later, returned to normal."

KTSM February 17, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I woke up a week or more ago and found myself having to pee frequently. I thought "Oh that's weird." Then it began to smell funky and I decided to go get a urinalysis done. It came back negative, but the doctor gave me some Bactrim anyway. Halfway through my treatment with Bactrim, I had an allergic reaction and called it in. They gave me Macrobid instead, and gosh is it expensive. I took it for a few days for a total of 5 days on antibiotics and my symptoms were gone, but something new was happening. I always felt fatigued and nauseated, especially when I woke up, and when I tried to eat, I felt like my appetite had left me completely. My stools had turned to diarrhea and my stomach always felt uneasy. The doc took me off them."

Ixie February 13, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I began to take Macrobid (Nitrofurantoin mono) 100mg caplets on last Thursday for a UTI. Within 24 hours I had severe muscle aching, headache, and fatigue. Within 2 days I had even more severe body aches, joint pain, extreme fatigue and sleepiness, dizziness and difficulty walking as well as a fever of 101-102 degrees. I went in to a walk in clinic but symptoms progressed and by Sunday I was in the ER thinking I was in septic shock. I assumed my infection had spread, I had no idea it could be a reaction to the antibiotic. After a barrage of tests including a CT scan, the only possibility is that this poison was wrecking my health. This medication caused me a huge amount of problems. I stopped taking it yesterday and still have a headache, dizziness, muscle aches and low fever. I can only hope the damage caused by Macrobid is not permanent."

Mom in NM (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was instantly sick to my stomach after first dose. Now I wonder if it was just exhaustion from being up all night with the PAIN. I am on day 3 and feel so much better that I may be back at work in the morning. I haven't had a UTI since I was very young and sort of forgot how dreadful it can get. My Dr said usually 48 hrs and one is over the worst and I think the side effects for me are extremely minimal!/"

Auntj January 25, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After reading all of the horrible reviews on this site I was terrified to take Macrobid. I waited two days hoping that the symptoms would clear and I wouldn't have to take this "awful poison." Everything I read talked about flu'like symptoms and high fevers..Scary stuff. I finally gave in and took my first dose around 9:00am. By around 1:00pm I had a bit of a headache which was mostly controlled with Advil. Same side effect with the second and third dose. By day three I was side effect free and nearly symptom free too. I would take this again in heartbeat. Don't let the reviews scare you. Everyone reacts differently and you can't base what your experience will be off of the bad experience others had."

PunkyBee January 24, 2017

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had a few UTIs recently and the antibiotics has worked every time but this time I was prescribed Macrobid and after one pill I felt pretty horrendous. The symptoms of my UTI went away but it was replaced with really scary symptoms. I took the second pill not thinking it was side effects considering I've never had a bad experience with an antibiotic but woke up during the night feeling like my breathing was so heavy I wasn't sure if I'd need to go to hospital. The headache was unreal, I ached all over and walked about feeling like I was going to fall down any minute and like I was drunk or something. Called the doctor who told me to get an antihistamine and not take another. I felt poisoned! Still not fully recovered."

Miario (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It says ON THE BOTTLE to take this medicine with food. This is probably why you are experiencing nausea and fatigue. It's a great medicine and a great alternative and preventative if you're like me and suffer from chronic UTI's."

ALN9007 January 7, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It has been my personal experience in dealing with urinary tract infection's that Macrobid is a godsend. After having my youngest child I came down with a UTI which stemmed from the birthing unit nurse improperly inserting a catheter prior to my cesarean section delivery. Within about a week I began noticing some tenderness in my lower pelvic area but thought perhaps it was because I had a tubal ligation and c- section and returned to work upon my discharge from the hospital (yeah not the most health wise move but childbirth doesn't stop the bills from flowing in). I was put on antibiotics that didn't work ended up admitted with severly infected kidneys and macrobid was the only thing that cured me and to this day is the only antibiotic that works for my UTI's"

AP42 (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a UTI and my Dr. prescribed Macrobid. I'm allergic to most antibiotics and usually experience all the side effects possible so I read the reviews here and was so scared to take it that I waited a week to see if my symptoms would somehow go away on their own (they didn't). I finally said a prayer and started the Macrobid. The only side effect I had at all was a pretty good headache on days 1 and 2, which was relieved with Advil. I wish I had started sooner! Just remember that usually, the only people coming to these sites are people who have had bad reactions. My pharmacist said that she's been prescribing it for 35 years and never heard of anyone having really bad reactions to it."

Robbie22 January 3, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took 1 100mg Macrobid at 12pm today for a UTI. Felt bad around 6, so I went to lay down. Around 9, I woke up with extreme chills to the point my teeth were chattering (I'm a very hot-natured person), horrible muscle cramps, nausea, fever, and even hallucinations. I seriously thought I was dying. Thank God my mom called the pharmacist and he said not to take another. It's 12am now, and I still have a fever, and a horrible headache and body aches. AFTER ONE PILL. Don't take this medicine, y'all. It should be banned. I feel like I was poisoned."

AshLiz1004 (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am only taking the time to write this review because I see so many negative ones. I'd hate to see someone not take it and risk an infection getting worse! This drug does work, cleared up my UTI in 2 days. There are some not pleasant side effects-- Nausea, I've been feeling this one all week, body ache and chills, only on the first day. In my unique case I'd take any pain in the world over having a strong urge to use the restroom every 30 seconds and intense burning. I've taken this drug once before and felt fine. Talk to the dr. if you're concerned, there are other medications out there!"

ajetta (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed macrobid (100mg two times a day for 10 days) for a pretty severe UTI. The first day I took it I felt like I had a fever and I had chills and body aches, I figured it was just my UTI causing the symptoms. Today I am on day 10 (last day) and I am going to the doctors for a different medication because after taking one of the pills last night I developed what I thought was the flu, severe body aches, fever, chills. I really considered going to the ER cause I was that sick. Woke up this morning feeling better then last night but I refuse to take another pill. As far as cleaning up my UTI some days I have felt normal and other days I still have the burning and frequency."

Jme2245 December 20, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Macrobid cleared up my UTI in only 4 days. I was afraid to use it based on the comments on this site but keep in mind, most people who take time out to comment are those with negative experiences. Usually people with great experiences like myself don't take time out to talk about how well a medication works-they use it and go on with their daily lives. It's been over a year now and no reoccurrence of UTI. I had zero side effects."

Caycee577 December 19, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My husband passed a kidney stone, & was diagnosed with UTI, without being given a urine test to identify bacteria. After taking nitrofurantoin for 4 days, we went to urgent care as the chills and fever along with headache, confusion, loss of appetite, & weakness didn't go away. He was told to stop taking it as it was a drug to target 2 types of bacterias and given Cipro. The chills, fever, sweating and headache haven't gone away even after stopping this medicine. We may end up in the ER if symptoms don't sub side. I don't recommend this drug."

Jp7117 December 11, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Prescribed this medication for 5 days for UTI after Day 2 my symptoms were almost gone. However during the course of treatment, I had terrible flu like symptoms and my heart was really racing and pounding. It was scary. Nevertheless I finished all the antibiotics and after one day without treatment, the UTI symptoms came right back! SMH wow so now I have to call the dr. In the morning. This medication didn't have work for me for a UTI it only eased the symptoms during treatment."

MamaDebbie (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My doctor thought I had both a uti and yeast infection. 1 capsule was all I will take out of the 14 I got. I felt so nauseous and dizzy the rest of the day, I could only lie in bed, which caused me to miss my boyfriend's birthday. They also recommend to take it with food, which I did, so that wasn't the issue..."

Nope nope nope December 6, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"WARNING!!! I was hospitalized after taking just two days out of the 5 prescribed of macrobid (nitrofunatol). I went to urgent care for a UTI and after the 5th dose. I began to not be able to catch my breath and my body felt tingly and feet felt bruised. I stopped taking the medication and about a day later, I could barely breathe, my entire back seized up into the most excruciating pain I've ever felt in my entire life. I could not move my head without a migraine-like headache pulsating in my ears and top of my head. 5 days later I am still virtually bedridden, vomiting, no appetite, my body feels like a giant bruise and my skin tingles and hurts to touch even with clothing. Tread carefully around this stuff, it's not worth the pain AT ALL"

Shay M December 5, 2016