User Reviews for Macrobid

Learn more about Macrobid.

Macrobid Rating Summary

4.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 383 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Macrobid to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"The most important thing about having a UTI, is making sure a urine culture is done. Many don't realize that there are antibiotics that simply just won't work because the bacteria they have, are resistant to the antibiotic prescribed. Just because the antibiotic didn't work for you, doesn't mean it won't work for others. I've been prescribed Cipro and Bactrim for UTIs in the past, but after the ABT course my UTI kept coming back with a vengeance. Macrobid was the only antibiotic that was able to clear my Bladder/UTI infection. I've seen that sometimes it can make you feel worse before you feel better. Urine culture and sensitivity test is key for those suffering from recurrent infections."

LizzyBee805 (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2016

"I was on this medication for about 5 days. I took 2 doses once a day. Remember to take this medication with A LOT of food. Do not, do not, do not take this on an empty stomach. When I took it on an empty stomach, I felt super weak. Thus far, my UTI symptoms have greatly disappeared. I'm not peeing every 15 minutes like I was before."

Anonymous August 15, 2016

"So I went in on tuesday for a uti but no bacteria showed up so the doc prescribed the generic macrobid and the first pill I took was on Wednesday i ended up having a severe headache 30 minutes later and got a slight fever all day and took the 2nd pill. The next day I woke up feeling great and took the medicine again leaving me with a terrible headache again. So that night I did not want to take it what so ever. Then Friday came (today) and I went back in for a different medicine and my head didn't hurt really at all but I found out I still had a temp of 100.1. This pill has given me the worst with terrible headaches and a fever. Definitely doesnt work with me. Bdid slightly help whatever I have going on but not as quick as others"

Anonymous August 13, 2016

"Barely stopped symptoms then two days after ending RX came right back."

XOC (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2016

"I was prescribed Macrobid the same day my UTI symptoms began, by my visit to the clinic it was already very painful. By the second day my uti was slightly better, the dizziness and nausea was intense but it didn't impede my ability to function. This continued until the fourth or fifth day when the headaches began, first they were manageable, but after dose 10 I wasn't able to function without getting sick (By then the UTI symptoms were almost completely gone). The side effects lasted until all the medication was taken and for a couple days after. That being said I've always been very sensitive to side effects from medications and everyone's body will react differently. Take with food and lots of water and the whole ordeal will be over soon."

romsten (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

"I was prescribed for a very painful UTI. After 3 days, I felt no relief. The 4th day, I began to feel better but very fatigued. The 5th day I developed a rash on my scalp. I thought it was shingles. I woke up the 6th day with extreme itching and discomfort. The rash had spread to my shoulders and eventually down my chest and to my waistline. I went to my doctor who took me off Macrobid, switched me to Cipro for another round of antibiotics and prescribed a shampoo and topical ointment for the rash. I wish I had changed antiobiotics that 4th day. This is miserable, red itchy welts everywhere, and low grade fever."

Laced (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016

"Honestly I was pretty scared taking this medicine after reading these reviews, but I took it and did not have one problem what so ever, also cleared my UTI right up ! Started off taking bacterium and had The WORST side effects, headache, dizziness, my body tingled, Super sick so they switched me to macrobid for 5 days and had no problems, ate with a healthy meal ever time I took it and drank lots of water throughout the day. Everyone is different, so I guess I found the one that works best for me!"

Anonymous August 5, 2016

"Honestly I was pretty scared taking this medicine after reading these reviews, but I took it and did not have one problem what so ever, also cleared my UTI right up ! Started off taking bacterium and had The WORST side effects, headache, dizziness, my body tingled, super bad headaches so they switched me to macrobid for 5 days and had no problems, ate with a healthy meal ever time I took it and drank lots of water throughout the day. Everyone is different, so I guess I found the one that works best for me!"

Anonymous August 5, 2016

"by end of day one (2 doses) I felt very tired. Day two I woke up weak, fatigued, achey but was advised to stay on Macrobid as the UTI symptoms had improved. As day wore on (3 doses) I became increasingly tired, no energy, headache, sensation of heart racing, nausea. Another call to provider and they suggested I switch to Cipro. Before I could do that, an episode of nausea sent me to the bathroom. I passed out, hit my head and ended up hospitalized. I would be very afraid of this medication, considering the other options."

Weed93 July 27, 2016

"This drug is fine for me. It makes me feel foggy, tired and just out of sorts for a few hours but i can still function. The headaches are the worst part. I'm on day 4 so I'm sticking it out!"

knbarnes (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016

"I started taking 100mg of macrobid twice a day on Wednesday evening. It is now Tuesday, I have two pills left. One for this morning and one for tonight. I can't wait to be off this medication. My uti symptoms were gone between day one and two but I was told to take all the medication even if it gets better. I take this medication at 8am and 8pm. From about 4pm-6pm I am extremely nauseous, it's horrible. Then I also wake up off and on from 4-6am because of nausea. I always take the pill with a meal so I don't know why I'm still experiencing the nausea. That's the only bad side effect I have experienced so far. Can't wait to be done with this medication!"

shreffy (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016

"I took Macrobid 100mg twice a day for 7 days. I had no symptoms at all, except day 1 I had an upset tummy. But I can't for sure say that was caused by this antibiotic. I'm very sensitive to a lot of medications and I was really surprised Macrobid didn't give me any problems. I think a lot of people don't realize how crazy a UTI can actually get. You can get some pretty awful symptoms/side effects just from the UTI itself. Blurred vision, headaches and nausea are all side effects of a UTI, not just the antibiotic. I caught my UTI in time and had no symptoms from this antibiotic. There is a reason older people in their 70's and up go mental when they have a UTI. It's a serious condition."

alwayscoffee (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2016

"Was prescribed this medication for my UTI. After taking my second pill, I started experiencing severe migraines and blurred vision. It was so bad that I couldn't drive. I stopped taking it yesterday and my vision is still not 100%. I recommend people try this for a day and observe your bodies reaction. Lots of people have a bad reaction to this medication (Ive NEVER had a reaction to medication in my life only this one). If your sensitive to certain medication I highly recommend you don't take this one."

MQM9999 July 22, 2016

"Have anxiety issues and think this medicine affected my anxiety...felt a bit lightheaded and nauseous and had a panic attack. Not sure if it the macrobid or pyridium. Symptoms of UT I better but not totally gone yet."

Mammadee (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

"I am currently on day 2 of macrobid, 2x daily for 5 days. Pharmacist was sure to emphasize to take macrobid with food to prevent nausea. So far, I have no nausea, but have developed a terrible headache. I must say, that pain of the UTI was gone within two hours of taking my first dose, which is worth it to me. So I'll be sticking this one out and hope the headache doesn't worsen."

Ali18 July 8, 2016

"When taking macrobid I felt slightly nauseous and had a headache for a few hours. My advice is to eat a light meal with it. I didn't hence I felt sick. After 5 days symptoms improved though. Glad I stuck through it the last 4-5 days :)"

Teppers (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2016

"3 months ago I was on Macrobid for a UTI. On the 5th day of taking it (last day), I had a hard time breathing during the night and I thought that I was catching a cold or something. It went away fairly quickly so I didn't associate it with this antibiotic until yesterday. I have another UTI and was prescribed Macrobid again. It worked great in taking away my UTI the first time, so I didn't think anything of it. Took the first dose yesterday morning with food and was fine. Took the 2nd dose before bed with food and that's when I realized I made a mistake. I was up ALL night because I was having a HARD time breathing. I felt like I couldn't catch my breath. When I got up this morning and saw the side effects. How scary!"

Weebs123 June 16, 2016

"After reading the reviews for this antibiotic, I was terrified to even take it. I went to urgent care in Orlando because I had gotten a uti during my vacation in Disney World, so it wasn't even my own doctor prescribing me the medication. I was prescribed 100 mg to take 2 times a day for 7 days. The majority of people claimed to have horrible side effects, but I did not have any, besides small stomach cramps a couple hours after taking the pill. Do not let the reviews scare you. Everyone is different! My only complaint is that it worked so slowly. It took 6 days for all of my symptoms to completely clear up. Now I have to wait and see if the infection comes back."

MirandaPanda14 (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2016

"I wish I would have read these reviews before I started taking this medication! I feel soooo sick! I started to wonder if I have something really serious like cancer. I am so weak. One minute I am drenched in sweat and then I have chills so bad no amount of blankets will warm me. I can't get out of bed and I must go to work tomorrow. I am a teacher and I have parent/teacher conferences! I constantly have a fever of 101 or higher! Why would they prescribe this medication to any one. Too many people have the same terrible side effects!"

Ogarc3 (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2016

"I was put on this antibiotic to take after I had sex, it was my last hope I get a UTI every time me and my boyfriend have had sex and have 18 since January. Anyway I took this pill in hope it will be the only thing to work for me I'm only on my second dose so I cannot give an accurate answer but so far my ratings are not good after taking true first pill it worked however the next time I had sex with my boyfriend I took this antibiotic and felt the symptoms of a UTI coming back on, the side effects I experienced on this pill were also fast heart beat, drowsiness, waking up in the middle of the night neaseous and shortness in breath which is very scary when trying to sleep, good luck to anyone taking this antibiotic as I give up."

Elljade June 4, 2016

"Wasted my money on this antibiotic. Made me feel so nauseated for several hours after taking it, & gave me diarrhea, but I tried it for four days, twice daily, hoping it might treat the UTI I had it prescribed for. No such luck Yet. Still having symptoms of burning, urgency and frequency; now I'll be going back to the clinic, to wait for hours and get a new script. Wait in line at the pharmacy, pay more money...Such a waste of precious time, money & sick leave."

Jobogru (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2016

"I was prescribed Macrobid in a third world country by an urgent care doctor. So I'm not sure if or how it might differ from the US formulation. I experienced absolutely no negative side effects. Not even fatigue. However, the pain and discomfort from the UTI returns right around the time I need to take my next pill (2x daily for 7 days). After I take the pill, the pain goes away. But after finishing all of my prescribed Macrobid, I still have some discomfort so I feel as though it did not clear up the infection."

CH2016123 (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2016

"Took this drug for 3 days.The infection got better after 2 doses. However, I slowly developed headaches and a little chills on the 2nd day of treatment. Thought I might be getting a bit of flu so I ignored the symptoms and continue my medication. As soon as I took the last dose, my symptoms got worst. I was so weak I could hardly walk. My eyes got blurry and generally nauseous and drowsy. As I type this, I still have all this symptoms with raised heart beat, occasional numbness of my hands and feet. All I want is to sleep but too scared to sleep just in case it got worst. Nonetheless, the medicine does the job as it cleared my infection after two days of taking it but it gave me a bad experience so am not taking this drug again."

pen01 May 11, 2016

"Took Macrobid for five days. It caused constant nervousness/jitteriness and I could not sleep. Two days after Macrobid regime was done, my UTI started up again. So much pain and suffering for nothing. What upsets me the most is that I had told the nurse at the clinic that Cipro works for me, and she prescribed Macrobid instead! Some people are worse than useless."

Apple Annie April 27, 2016

"I was wondering why I was so fatigued and now the mystery is solved thanks to this page. It has alleviated the UTI symptoms but from reading through the board, it looks like there are better options."

sullspinn (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016