User Reviews for Macrobid

Learn more about Macrobid.

Macrobid Rating Summary

5.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 380 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Macrobid to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"I was extremely hesitant about taking this drug because of all the negative reviews. This drug worked great for my UTI for a few weeks. No real side effects except a headache here and there. I would definitely take it after a meal. Even with all of the negative reviews, just remember that each person is different and everyone reacts differently to drugs. I was so afraid of trying this drug because of the horrible side effects, however I am so glad that I did! I would have rated it a 10, however I now have to take something stronger due to the type of bacteria that showed up in my urine that is hard to treat."

Maureen S. (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a UTI not too long ago, and I was prescribed Macrobid. I did not have any crazy side effects. Unfortunately I get them frequently and just started a new round of Macrobid, and this time has been nothing but bad news. I am on day 5 of 7 and I have been extremely nauseous, dizzy, and tired along with sharp abdominal pain. The UTI isn't as severe anymore but I feel like it hasn't been as effective and that it's still lingering. I made sure to eat a decent meal before and drink plenty of water, I think that it's just not reacting well with my system. I am definitely stopping after today and going to the doctor to figure out a new solution."

Good then bad (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been to scared to use the bathroom all day. After one dose of Macrobid (3ish hours after) I already have relief! I seriously can't believe it's working this fast."

Xnotilh September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So, Macrobid can certainly have some uncomfortable side effects. Most of these are preventable/treatable with headache pills, taking it with lots of food, and probiotics. If you are allergic, that is not the fault of the medicine, nor is it yours. That's just the way the cards were dealt. Macrobid, or nitrofurantoin, is very good for UTI treatment and the methods it does so makes bacteria unlikely to build resistance to it. Macrobid should be the first option before general antibiotics for this reason. Macrobid works very well and usually is taken twice daily (breakfast, dinner). For me, I had fatigue and headaches but they left after two days. After that, I felt fine for the remaining 8 days. And it worked!"

Kibbler (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prescribed this after recurrent UTI. I am very prone to them and if you are too try to listen to your body and know your triggers. I know it sucks to not be able to drink soda, or having to jump up after sex to pee but it's well worth it in the long run. Macrobid like sulpha and cipro make me feel uneasy but there's no getting around that but I would rather feel a little uneasy then peeing what feels like fire and sitting on the toilet for hours crying thinking how unfair it is to be born with a short urethra. I'm shocked how many people would rather have a UTI than the uneasiness of an antibiotic. Not for me. Obviously my symptoms of painful urinating makes it so worth just a little tummy ache to feel better. Take with food. Take all reviews with a grain of salt."

Mlmlmlml August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this for a UTI and while it did help with that, it ended up giving me the worst yeast infection of my life that I am still treating 2 months later. I usually don't have too much of an issue with antibiotics but this was awful."

theoguiseppe (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Microbid for a UTI that I had for about 2 weeks. I took 2 pills so far 100mg each. I have stomach issues so I took mine with vanilla yogurt and had no nausea or vomiting. I highly suggest yogurt when taking antibiotics. It works like a charm. I have had no bad issues or side effects. I already feel better after 2 pills. Give the medication a chance it's working to kill bad bacteria which can make anyone feel yucky. Good luck!!!"

SpenceMJ1985 (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took 1 pill...4 hours later and I was vomiting like crazy. Ridiculous."

Stacy12345 August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on 200 mg day for 3 of 4 weeks. Restarted after first 2. Have my doubts I am winning the battle on this one. Test does not show resistance built up but when it comes toward time for the next pill the soreness and all start kicking in. Of course I think there is a stone a hiding some where - we will see"

Walt99 August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worst medicine ever!!! Went to the ER & was diagnosed with a UTI so this med was prescribed! I've been in bed now 2 days straight! The headaches & body aches are just ridiculous! Not to mention I don't have an appetite but I've been throwing up off & on! This medicine made me worse than I was in the beginning! This is my first & last time taking this that's for sure!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed Macrobid by my physician for UTI. On the third day of taking this medicine, my hands became numbed. It was so bad that when I was driving to work, my left hand slipped off the steering wheel. Talking about scared. I thought I was going to drive off the bridge. They need to do something about this medicine. Because the severe side effect that I received, this medication is dangerous. I'm still suffering from weakness from both hands. And it's very scary when I have to go somewhere. I never thought that I would get this bad reaction from this medication."

Ambitious August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had UTI's before that have been treated with Cipro with no side effects. This last infection was pretty bad and the physician I saw prescribed Macrodantin, which I had never used. The first dose gave me a severe headache and then second dose put me almost under. The leg cramps were so severe my husband wanted to take me to the Emergency room. They were so painful and came so often until I was scared. I had to call in sick from work because they kept coming and I threw up and was very fatigued. I drank tonic water and orange juice which helped the cramps so I'm calling my physician for Cipro first thing in the morning and I'll list this medication as an allergy from now on. The side effects were horrible and outweighed the benefits."

Sassy m77 (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. I had a great experience with Macrobid. I am actually allergic to a few meds so I was relieved to have one for a mean UTI I got over the last few days. I actually started taking it Macrobid, 100MG twice daily for 7 days, BEFORE coming to this site to read the reviews. Firstly, it says to take it with food or milk, so many probably didn't follow those directions b/c it will give you nausea/vomiting if you don't. The only side effect I've had is drowsiness. But my doctor also prescribed me with metronidazole 500mg, taken twice daily WITH the Macrobid to offset symptoms that can bring on a yeast infection etc. I only get UTIs once or twice a year, but this one reared it's ugly head and Macrobid worked wonders for me."

K Monique (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was diagnosed with a kidney infection last Friday and was prescribed MacroBID by the doctor...100mg four times a day. I have to say the side effects aren't great... I had vomiting on the Saturday evening and banging headaches the entire time I was taking them, however these eased with paracetamol and the main thing is the kidney infection felt a lot, lot better after 2 days. It's not the perfect drug but it's not horrendous."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prescribed to me for a stubborn UTI, after Bactrim didn't seem to work. Took once a day for 10 days. Had no negative side effects, but didn't clear up my UTI either."

OneWithFrequentUTI's (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 66 yr. old and get a lot of UTI's after going on the bike, in the pool, and apparatus at the gym that causes friction in that area. I usually get ciproflaxcin, which doesn't affect me much. But, Macrobid, causes, stomach troubles, nausea, chest and lung problems, chills, fevers, dizziness, palpitations, headaches, and more. I didn't have time to say " no" to the walk in doc. who gave me this again, but, I will never, ever, use it again. I know it going to take another week, to get " semi- normal" again, but, this med takes me down every time."

EllyMay77 (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given this medicine for the 2nd time yesterday. I have had it before no issues but this time not the case. I took my first dose at night and this morning my feet and hands are burning and itchy. I keep rubbing the bottom of my feet under my desk to see if it will stop. I am dizzy, headache and my pain is actually worse. I get UTIs all the time and usually use other meds but the CVS Minute clinic gives this one for some reason. I will NOT be taking anymore and will be going back to get a different medicine."

ChyHoney July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Macrobid a few months ago for my UTI. Worked great. No side effects. This time after getting a UTI again, I was prescribed Macrobid again but this time I'm getting all the side effects. Fever, chill, body aches, fatigue, nauseated.. etc etc. I will probably stop using it now. My UTI does feel a bit better though."

Mwwong (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is the third antibiotic in 2 weeks used for a UTI. Yes the drug has been effective in healing the infection. However. It would not be my 1st choice. I've had muscle pain in my legs and feet Exhaustion. Insomnia.grotesque nightmares. Weakness unsteadiness walking. Nausea dry mouth with a taste of metal in my mouth.."

H Rose (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Macrobid immediately helps get rid of my UTIs and I am prone to very bad ones because of some preexisting conditions. Once on a trip I happened to luckily have a spare one floating around in my toiletries that I took when I realized that I had developed a UTI and, in spite of not having a full regime, it still got rid of it. HOWEVER, I do have an EXTREME reaction to Macrobid. It gives me the most EXCRUCIATING body pains a couple hours after taking it. The best way that I can describe it is like acid in my veins or my nerves spasming nonstop. I vomit, cry, and can't even stand, bend, or roll over in bed without exacerbating the pain, making me nonfunctional. After about 2 hours it goes away but it is awful until then."

MorganHeidi June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this drug after being prescribed it for a UTI. I read some reviews after feeling a little weird but figured I would push through. I called my doctor after taking two pills and the nurse told me to wait it out and see if it gets worse. Things got worse very quick. What began as a little bit of nausea, ended with body aches, leg cramps, intense chills, night sweats, dizziness, confusion, to fainting twice (terrifying), to getting a vaginal infection because of this drug. My UTI symptoms have gotten better, but the pain from my VI is unbearable, and how I feel from this drug is terrible. NOT worth it...do not take this drug. P.S. I only got through taking FOUR pills, out of my prescribed ten. I am going to the doctor today, again.:("

Adele1995 June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After having severe headache and vomiting with a sulfa drug, I was put on Macrobid for my UTI. I got a little headache after second dose, but popped a Tylenol. Also, made sure I took my pills with food. I was able to finish the full regimen and although the UTI took a bit longer to get kicked out, the Macrobid worked. It really wasn't bad at all to take. I have many food allergies, too, and was able to tolerate Macrobid pretty well."

Missalergies (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The second I took my first pill instant relief! It took away the heavy pressure and by the 2nd one could go to the washroom normally. But itchy and thats ok I dealt with it"

lashgirl June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Awful medicine, the worst. The side effects outweigh the benefit. Headache the first night, leg and back pain, Sensitive skin, just awful. Pain got worse and worse. I changed my meds to ciproflaxcin. I have used this in the past so hopefully, it will continue to help. I even questioned the doc at urgent care to see if I can take cipro and she offered macrobid. Maybe this urgent care and this medication is something they get a deal on....stay away from macrobid."

Mirchi (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I get UTIs pretty frequently, so as soon as I felt the symptoms coming on I went to an urgent care. The first day of macrobid I got a headache. The second day I had severe headache, body aches, weakness and malaise. However, I thought it was just my illness, because I have never had an experience like this with medication before. Day 3, I am in hell and sicker than a dog. Severe headache, nausea, light headed, weak, fatigued. I called in for Bactrim. DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION. I get that not everyone has this reaction, but the risk is not worth it to me."

normalworkingwoman (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2017