User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin (Page 3)

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 40 reviews 29 medications

6.9
Urinary Tract Infection 382 reviews 186 medications

Bladder Infection 190 reviews 82 medications

4.8
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 612 reviews 5.6

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "I used to have many UTI's a year, but no more with this drug. I have taken it every day for 4 years and have never had a side-effect. Sorry for those who do."

Zig Zag January 1, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I took 1 100mg Macrobid at 12pm today for a UTI. Felt bad around 6, so I went to lay down. Around 9, I woke up with extreme chills to the point my teeth were chattering (I'm a very hot-natured person), horrible muscle cramps, nausea, fever, and even hallucinations. I seriously thought I was dying. Thank God my mom called the pharmacist and he said not to take another. It's 12am now, and I still have a fever, and a horrible headache and body aches. AFTER ONE PILL. Don't take this medicine, y'all. It should be banned. I feel like I was poisoned."

AshLiz1004 (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I have a history of UTIs and kidney infections because my urethra is abnormal. However, with every UTI, i have been prescribed several different antibiotics. None that are accompanied by side effects but every person is different. With every UTI I have had, I have always experienced head ache, nausea, body aches and fever. All went away with the UTI. When I asked my doctor, he said the antibiotics take between 48 and 72 hours to start taking effect on your body. You may be experiencing some effects of your infection."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I am only taking the time to write this review because I see so many negative ones. I'd hate to see someone not take it and risk an infection getting worse! This drug does work, cleared up my UTI in 2 days. There are some not pleasant side effects-- Nausea, I've been feeling this one all week, body ache and chills, only on the first day. In my unique case I'd take any pain in the world over having a strong urge to use the restroom every 30 seconds and intense burning. I've taken this drug once before and felt fine. Talk to the dr. if you're concerned, there are other medications out there!"

ajetta (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed MacroBID after previous three antibiotic courses failed (1st Cipro made me violently ill, 2nd and 3rd were amazing drug Selexid with zero side effects and almost immediately relieved symptoms, however both times UTI returned after a week). Delayed starting the pills due to travelling and not wanting any of the awful side effects I'd read about this drug but my doc warned me of the infection spreading to kidneys so I risked it. I made sure I took a snack and some milk 10min before and swallowed with plenty of water and honestly no side effects, 5 days in only noticed runny nose but nothing else. UTI cleared up within a day too so I would highly recommend trying this, and not worry too much about the negative feedback"

booty.uk December 26, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "Effectively killed bacteria, but I had an extreme adverse reaction to the antibiotic--fever of 103.5, headache, body pains, sore red rash on calves. Adverse reaction developed after about 5 days of taking medication (the first time). Adverse reaction developed several hours after taking 1st dose of medication the second time it was prescribed for me."

NoNameOrNickname (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed macrobid (100mg two times a day for 10 days) for a pretty severe UTI. The first day I took it I felt like I had a fever and I had chills and body aches, I figured it was just my UTI causing the symptoms. Today I am on day 10 (last day) and I am going to the doctors for a different medication because after taking one of the pills last night I developed what I thought was the flu, severe body aches, fever, chills. I really considered going to the ER cause I was that sick. Woke up this morning feeling better then last night but I refuse to take another pill. As far as cleaning up my UTI some days I have felt normal and other days I still have the burning and frequency."

Jme2245 December 20, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Macrobid cleared up my UTI in only 4 days. I was afraid to use it based on the comments on this site but keep in mind, most people who take time out to comment are those with negative experiences. Usually people with great experiences like myself don't take time out to talk about how well a medication works-they use it and go on with their daily lives. It's been over a year now and no reoccurrence of UTI. I had zero side effects."

Caycee577 December 19, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "The side effects. Today I went to the Dr with symptoms of cloudy urine and frequent urination. I was diagnosed with a bladder infection and I was prescribed Macrobid, 2x po daily for 5 days. I've taken this medication before for a UTI and I was fine, but for some reason, I took this pill 2 hours ago and already I feel the sensation to gag every time a breathe in. This kind of nausea feels detestable. I'm so uncomfortable. I also got severe back pain and tight chest out of nowhere. I can't believe this."

i pray it works despite December 19, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "After being in SEVERE pain on passing (and after passing) urine saw my GP who prescribed nitrofurantoin as I'm resistant to the preferred prescribed Trimethropin. After 2 doses of 50mg same evening I woke in the night feeling like a total zombie; felt like I could barely move or breath, like I was almost comatose. Carried on the next day tho as felt I would put this down to the infection in my body (urine dip showed something) I took every 4 hours and feel snappy and lethargic but my main worry is the feeling of a fluttering racing heartbeat and pressure rising into my head. I have felt a little short of breath too, as if can't quite breath in. Bladder still feeling sensitive and urgent even tho finished course earlier today."

&& (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I normally get UTI All the time, I also suffer from Interstitial cystitis (IC) of the bladder, so it's hard to tell when I have a UTI or just a flare from my IC. I saw my Dr. Last week, and I had some burning, So I figured might as well get my urine checked, came back I have a UTI, my Dr. Called in antibitic, I assumed it would be Levaquin that's the one I have always gotten, really the only one that I get no side effects, will only take that or cipro, so when hubby came back with macrobid, I emailed my Dr. Thinking he forgot, he said the kind of UTI I have Levaquin will not work on it, I am on 4th day 2xday no side effects but still burning & pressure!so not sure if it is working."

Kittyx2 December 18, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "The reviews on this site scared me so much so that I almost didn't take this prescription. I've only taken two doses so far, and both times, I took it with food, but I have nothing strange to report. No drowsiness, no racing heart, no headaches (and I might add that headaches/migraines are very common for me). I'm already staring to feel some relief from my UTI symptoms. I know everyone is different, but I've not experienced anything out of the ordinary this far."

Sech (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "My husband passed a kidney stone, & was diagnosed with UTI, without being given a urine test to identify bacteria. After taking nitrofurantoin for 4 days, we went to urgent care as the chills and fever along with headache, confusion, loss of appetite, & weakness didn't go away. He was told to stop taking it as it was a drug to target 2 types of bacterias and given Cipro. The chills, fever, sweating and headache haven't gone away even after stopping this medicine. We may end up in the ER if symptoms don't sub side. I don't recommend this drug."

Jp7117 December 11, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I know a lot of people seem to have quite bad side effects however this was not the case with me. I had been suffering so bad from a severe UTI, went to the docs and got a prescription. I took my first dose at 11am, around 3pm that same day my severe symptoms were now non existent. I continued taking the medication for 5 days in total which is what my doctor advised, and didn't have one side effect. Maybe I'm lucky but honestly this medication worked perfectly for me."

Aj_345x December 9, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I get UTI's 2-3 times/year and I made an appointment with my doctor to get meds, but she was unavailable, so I had to see another one. (New doctor=different medication than the last time) I'm starting day 3 of this antibiotic and although I'm not in pain, I still feel uncomfortable down there. A previous medication I've taken, I felt fine by the next day. I know it can take a few days for the medication to take full effect, but compared to previous meds, this one doesn't work as fast. Side effects: It might not be from the medication, but I feel just really drained and tired. TAKE WITH FOOD! I've noticed several reviews where people said they experienced nausea. I take the medication after I eat and I haven't had any issues at all."

Bailey5710 (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Prescribed this medication for 5 days for UTI after Day 2 my symptoms were almost gone. However during the course of treatment, I had terrible flu like symptoms and my heart was really racing and pounding. It was scary. Nevertheless I finished all the antibiotics and after one day without treatment, the UTI symptoms came right back! SMH wow so now I have to call the dr. In the morning. This medication didn't have work for me for a UTI it only eased the symptoms during treatment."

MamaDebbie (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "So I just had a breast reduction 3 weeks ago, & two weeks into the healing process I got my 1st UTI. I consulted friends of the pain after urinating & they suggested lots of water & cranberry juice which didn't do much at all. A few days later after consuming all that liquid my kidneys started throbbing. I couldn't take it, & went to the doctors. They prescribed me Microbid. I'm currently on day 3, twice a day with food. I've experienced fevers, chills, constant abdominal & kidney pains to the point of tears. Only thing that's stopped hurting is going to the washroom. I'm on this medication for 4 more days & hoping I recover soon. My body's under enough stress with the reduction/infection so I'm hoping that this med will clear the UTI up"

Athenaxo December 7, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "My doctor thought I had both a uti and yeast infection. 1 capsule was all I will take out of the 14 I got. I felt so nauseous and dizzy the rest of the day, I could only lie in bed, which caused me to miss my boyfriend's birthday. They also recommend to take it with food, which I did, so that wasn't the issue..."

Nope nope nope December 6, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "WARNING!!! I was hospitalized after taking just two days out of the 5 prescribed of macrobid (nitrofunatol). I went to urgent care for a UTI and after the 5th dose. I began to not be able to catch my breath and my body felt tingly and feet felt bruised. I stopped taking the medication and about a day later, I could barely breathe, my entire back seized up into the most excruciating pain I've ever felt in my entire life. I could not move my head without a migraine-like headache pulsating in my ears and top of my head. 5 days later I am still virtually bedridden, vomiting, no appetite, my body feels like a giant bruise and my skin tingles and hurts to touch even with clothing. Tread carefully around this stuff, it's not worth the pain AT ALL"

Shay M December 5, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "No side effects, 15 days after taking the 1 week supply plus the 1 week refill... and my infection has come again... this is a nightmare...steer clear"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Macrobid caused me to get really sick and did NOT clear up a urinary tract infection. I will not take this medicine again as it was not right for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have never posted a review but, I wanted to let people know out there that you don't have to be afraid to take this if you need to. I am one of those who always Googles medicine reviews and I scared myself half to death with the horrible reviews on this antibiotic. So worried that I almost didn't take it. Well, I'm glad I did. It took away my UTI that was going into my kidneys and I had absolutely NO side effects. Yes, everyone is different and some people will have bad effects from it but, I am very sensitive to medications and I had no issues whatsoever. Always be sure to take it with food and just let it do it's job!"

Missxhausman November 27, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have had this medication 3 times now and on taking the very first tablet after about 5 hours it felt like I had been hit by a truck. Really fast heart, aching all over, couldn't even walk to the loo had to crawl on all fours, terrible headache, really bad flu symptoms. It lasted 24 hour for the heart rate to go down but 3 days for the larthagicness to go. Will definately not be taking these again, never felt so ill"

Dotty45 November 25, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I am only 18 years old and had to take this for a Uti. This would be my 4th one this year and I haven't had any other problems with any of the other antiobiotics I've taken until this one. STAY CLEAR OF THIS!!! It is absolutely awful. I had to take it twice a day for 7 days and let me tell you this medication made me feel like RUBBISH for all of the seven days. I dreaded taking this and everytime I took it I would have a minor breakdown and would gag just even looking at it. Like why would I purposely want to consume something that practically poisoned me. For seven days straight I had SEVERE nausea and i felt like I was going to puke all day, along with that, I had the worst pounding headaches. I couldnt even get out of bed the first 3 days"

mmm12345678 November 24, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "okay,i never ever post on review boards, but with all these high level ratings for this drug i just had to speak out. this drug is poison, literal poison. im only on my second dosage and it feels like my body is shutting down. rite this moment i am vomiting every ten mins, my head hurts constantly, and my body is riddled with the chills and shakes. i have followed the dr directions to the tee, taking it with food and all of that and it still has made me feel miserable. yes it has healed my uti almost instantly but now the rest of my body is suffering and breaking down because of it. please seek other options before taking this medication, please, i beg you, this is a very strong, dangerous drug."

AshtonVG November 22, 2016