User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin (Page 3)

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection
7.2

Bladder Infection
4.9

Urinary Tract Infection
4.9

Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 5.7 786 reviews

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This medicine made me so sick and I feel horrible. I have body aches, chills, fever, and a headache. Every once in a while I feel nauseous and sick to my stomach. When I first took the medicine my stomach hurts so bad.I took it for two days then I stopped taking it."

Felicia Dee December 22, 2017

For Bladder Infection: "I currently have a horrible UTI, my doctor prescribed me this and I’m on day 2 and I’m throwing my guts up over the toilet at 1AM. It helped my UTI so far but I can’t deal with being sick like this, I’m gonna call and see if I can get my prescription changed.. horrible!"

Yeslek December 20, 2017

For Bladder Infection: "Vertigo, mental fantasies, heart stopped twice, extreme high blood pressure, weeks in hospital and rehab. Weeks learning how to do things again and walk - nearly killed me at almost 85. Should never have been prescribed."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I am into my fourth day now with this drug, eight capsules, to date. I have had bad reactions to certain drugs and I was a little apprehensive about side effects that I may incur after reading the reviews posted on this site. To date I have not experienced any that bother me to any extent. I have given them a score of eight because I cannot at this time say for sure that they are doing me any good."

Shick (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Worked great for me. Minimal side effects and worked fast!"

bthroop (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I seriously don’t get what these people are talking about. These bad reviews must be fake. I'm not saying that it isn’t possible to have bad side-effects, but it’s pretty rare. I’m on day 2 of my 5 days. 100mg PO q12hr for 5 days. Doing just fine."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was so scared to take this after reading the reviews but I had very little side effects, just a slight headache and a horrible taste in my mouth. I was given 100mg twice a day for 7 days. It seemed to work after a few days but now I’ve finished my course it has came back but just not as severe."

Rebeccaleannexoxo December 14, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I've read many comments on here which make it sound like this drug is quite scary, but after going through many of the symptoms BEFORE even taking the drug, I've come to the conclusion the symptoms many people speak of are actually the symptoms of the kidney/urinary tract infection itself. It is awful! I am extremely sensitive to the lowest dose drugs but I was given 100mg of the slow release form of this drug. I have had no bad side effects from the drug - maybe a bit of drowsiness but that could also be because I'm pregnant. As predicted, it made my pee a funny colour but that is what is meant to happen. I have one more pill to take, whether it's got rid of the UTI, I'm sure it has as my pee no longer smells horrendous."

Fayetography (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2017

For Bladder Infection: "I was given this drug after CIPRO side effects so I tried it for 5 Days then started a fever after third day with weak flu like symptoms went to urgent care over weekend ran blood tests. They stopped medicine. Still sick all week, fever, now rash, hives. Elevated liver, still home resting with fevers"

Pammyshawammy (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed Macrobid this past Friday. It is now Monday and nothing has changed. I actually feel worse than I did the day I went to the DR for this UTI. He said that I only had a small infection, nothing bad but I feel terrible. The pinching and pressure on my bladder is just horrible. I get more relief from AZO pills OTC. Those things are a miracle drug for me, even though I have to take them with food. If I don't take the AZO with food, they make me terribly sick so if anyone decides to take those instead of this to make the UTI/bladder pains subside please try them with food. I haven't noticed any bad side effects from the Macrobid other than maybe dizziness. Its not been real bad either, just a little bit."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I took this medicine for only 3 days. It’s is the worse antibiotics I took my whole life. If I could say anything it would be: DONT EVER TRY IT. You will feel almost dead. After 24 hours without this I’m feeling much better, not 100% but 50%. Don’t take this drug! It’s a poison!"

Julia melo (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2017

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Excelent for UTI. Especially for E. coli. I had problems with Escherichia coli and ciprofloxacin did not solve it in three consecutive treatments. With Macrodantin the bad smell of urine and fever gone at first dose!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2017

For Bladder Infection: "I have had many bladder infections in my lifetime and twice was prescribed nitrofurantoin. Both times I took this medication I got a fever and was really lightheaded, had bad diarrhea, and was dehydrated severely probably because I had to force myself to eat and drink due to severe nausea on top of the diarrhea. My bladder infection symptoms didn't improve either. The first time I took this medication I just assumed the symptoms were from my bladder infection getting worse and not improving. Either way I ended up passing out at work and being taken by ambulance to the hospital for severe dehydration. The second time I took the medication(after I told my doctors it didn't work the first time and they convinced me to try it again) same."

Shedunn3 (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I cannot believe that it's even legal to sell this poison. Horrible side effects and not worth the risk, only took 3 pills and got extremely sick with body aches, headaches, intestinal problems, etc."

Abbey's Mom December 6, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I also have really bad nausea when taking these tablets, try drinking peppermint tea I found it helped a wonder!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I took 2 capsules on day 1 and by evening, time for dose 3, I had joint pain, a fever, chills and a headache. I thought I was getting the flu. Day 2 I was so weak I could not get out of bed nor eat. Took another capsule as I did not think a medication could cause this. By evening I was so sick I called my doc and he said to go to the ER. Thankfully I did. By the time I got there my Liver function was extremely impaired. Instead of being in the 9-35 range it was 667! After a day in the ER I was admitted to the hospital for 4 days. It took over 8 months for my Liver function to come down under 100. I don't drink or take either medications. The doc said this was a text book adverse reaction in the extreme."

Deenah (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Took one pill and it felt like a miracle. Was put on a dose of 1 tablet twice daily for 3 days. By the 5th tablet I was feeling flu like symptoms and dizziness. Not sure if I’m just feeling under the weather or it’s a side effect of taking this medication. Urine has also been bright yellow as many others have also stated. I would rather have this flu like symptom than feeling like I’m urinaring out razor blades. It definitely worked quickly and that worked for me."

Nomielou (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Can't even explain how bad this made me feel. SERIOUSLY thought I was dying. Chills...Sweating ...throwing up...I actually passed out on my bathroom bath. My chest pain was so bad I thought I was having a heart attack. No desire to eat...I've never had a problem with meds like this before in my life. Never again. I took it for 2 days and stopped. Be cautious."

Nikki hidey November 29, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Extreme drowsiness. Never felt quite this drowsy from taking a medication. I’m vomiting every hour or so, I feel so sick, I don’t even want to leave my bed. It seems to be working for my UTI however so that’s good. Maybe it’s meant to flush your system out which is why most people puke? Who knows."

Stirlingarcher November 26, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Had 3 doses of nitrofurantoin/MacroBID (100mg) now after being diagnosed with a UTI. Symptoms of UTI seem to have decreased a lot already. However, a few hours after taking my dose, even with/after a meal, I feel nauseous and exhausted. Plus I get stomach, leg and headaches. My concentration when these antibiotic symptoms hit is also terrible. The course is only 3 days (2 doses twice a day) thankfully, but I would definitely ask for a different antibiotic if I ever get a UTI again! My advice is to take time off work/school, because personally I would not be able to cope. Ginger biscuits/tea/etc. and plain food helps with the nausea. Keep drinking lots and take painkillers if you need. Doctor also recommended OTC cystitis symptom relievers:)"

loz76 November 25, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I feel extremely nauseous. Have not been able to keep anything down, every part of me aches and I have been in bed all day. Pretty sure I have been hallucinating at points today. However, my UTI seems to be on the mend. I would recommend using an antibiotic without these awful side effects. This is the first time I have ever written a review, I just feel others should be warned. Also, not that this matters...but my urine is bright yellow!"

lucy lucy November 22, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection: "First. Thank goodness I didn't read these reviews or I wouldn't have tried it. Interesting that the side effects everyone is describing are the same side effects I had on Ciprofloxicin. I was very worried taking this antibiotic because I lately don't do well. Also I have gotten hives from Bactrim so I got nervous taking any antibiotic. The difference this time I'm eating yogurt and taking a probiotic so I wonder if that made a difference. No pain at all in body no tiredness no dizziness. I don't even feel like I'm on a drug. I'm beginning to wonder if sometimes when we take these drugs it depends on our bodies at the time. When I got hives from Bactrim and told the doctor she said I had been on it before. Definitely eat yogurt and take probiotics."

Karenc03 November 19, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Had a painful UTI, after about 24 hours on the Nitrofurantoin, the UTI wasn’t as intense. I am extremely sensitive to medications and haven’t had much of an issue so far. Mind you, I drink about 65-80 oz of water every day, maybe that helps. Have had a little headache and I am sort of fatigued, otherwise no issues."

Squid A'Line (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed this to be taken 4 times daily for 3 days. My UTI symptoms were gone by the first day. I have now finished the course and my UTI is gone. This medication worked great for the infection. I did not experience any serious side effects except some tiredness, 'spaced out' feeling, and on the 2nd day I did feel very 'down' not sure if that was because of the medication. However on the third day I feel fine."

charlie8x (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have been so ill for days I get sick a lot so I tried to brush it off but it’s to the point I was considering going to the hospital. I’m vomiting so bad it’s painful. I think about recently being prescribed this med and notice that oh it’s this damn pill that has me so violently ill. I’m still vomiting violently that’s not even right. Omg someone save me lol also tired achy skin blisters feel off like speedy light headed. Def no longer taking them"

Skullsnroses13 November 12, 2017