User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin (Page 3)

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 43 reviews 29 medications

7.2
Urinary Tract Infection 424 reviews 188 medications

Bladder Infection 196 reviews 82 medications

4.9
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 663 reviews 5.7

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Very good experience with some minor side effects.....minor and worth having rather than being in the hospital with a kidney infection! I read some of the reviews on here. I have health anxiety and a bit of hypochondria and I am afraid to take medications. I was hesitant to take this one as well after reading the reviews. Only side effects I felt was some mild diarrhea, headache, some muscle aches, fatigue, mild pelvic and side pain and chills (which could have been from the UTI rather than a side effect of the medication). Please take the bad reviews with a grain of salt. Everyone responds differently to medications and my experience was good with this. Don't take UTI's lightly as they can lead into more serious problems."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have been taking these tablets for 2 days now & I'm amazed how quickly my symptoms cleared up . 1st 2 tablets in the morning & 2 at night I was able to go to the toilet with no pain at all . I've had another 4 tablets today & finish my course tomorrow all with no side affects at all :-) I'm just very relieved to be able to pee again without the horrid pain ! If i happen to get another UTI then I will definitely take this medication it works wonders :-)"

LoubLou :-) (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I've taken antibiotics many times before in my life, but with nitrofurantoin I experienced really bad headaches after day one. Quit taking them for 48 hrs, headache cleared rapidly, then recommenced course..same again..very bad headaches, energy loss, feeling very weak and nauseous.. have ceased now and feel better again. Now I just have to clear up my UTI ! Yes reaction to antibiotic far worse than UTI. Be wary of this one, though everyone's different."

Mazza55 March 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Tested positive for UTI and was put on nitrofurantoin, 100mg 2x per day for 7 days. No problems the first day, evening of second day I started with a frequent dry cough (not quite hacking, but close). Only able to sleep 1-2 hours per night and coughing got worse each day. Called clinic on 5th day and changed to Bactrim for 3 days. No burning, some pressure and frequent urge to urinate. Going to doctor for regular checkup today and will discuss this, but will not take this medicine again."

Junebugsy March 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed 100mg 2x daily for 7 days. I noticed my bowels were unusual (more watery). Also, headaches were common as well. Not terrible, but annoying. My UTI did in fact go away. I recently have been having reoccurring UTI's with not being treated. This was my first treatment for my UTI. I'm hoping they no longer continue to frequently occur. So overall, it gets the job done with very manageable side effects!"

Hopper90 (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I have taken this medication tons of times and every time without side effects. It is the only thing I can take to take care of my UTIs. I took it off and on in the past for UTIs due to having 4 urether instead of two. Then I had to take it for 9 months while I was pregnant (one a day for prevention), never had a problem. Now years later, Just had a hysterectomy and had a UTI again. Asked for macrobid and within two days the pain is gone and I am getting better. Couldn't live without this medicine. I don't know what these people are talking about."

Knokke70 March 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was a bit scared to take this due to a bad experience years ago but the doctor said its the only anti biotic that will get rid of my current bacteria. First hour I took it, I was nauseous but I kept myself distracted and it's been a few hours and the nauseous has gone. The best thing is to drink a lot of water and eat well even if u don't have the appetite. It's only been a few hours so my symptoms are still there but I'm feeling quite positive that I'll be back to normal in the next couple days due to how strong this anti biotic is"

Miimii88 March 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection: "I used to have recurrent UTIs, and had no problems with other antibiotics. I hadn't had one in around 6 months, but am in week 7 of my second pregnancy and they've returned. I was given nitrofurantoin, 50mg 4 times per day. The first and second dose made me incredibly nauseous all day, delirious and with a fever but freezing hands and feet. The 3rd and 4th mild nausea. I'm on day 2 and there are still mild cystitis symptoms, and again the 1st dose in the morning made me nauseous and delirious. I'm too sick to leave the house to change my medication and have had to miss work, but I will definitely be asking for something else if ever prescribed this again."

Dgunvtssadhj March 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: "I was prescribed a low dose of it for prevention if UTI's and it gave me diarrhea..which for someone already dealing with IBS I'm on top of constant UTI's...is not helpful at all. Aside from that no side effects. Still stopped taking it though and was prescribed methenamine... hope it works!"

kristinmcaff35 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Never taking this again. Day 2 of taking this antibiotic for UTI and I have never felt so ill. Constant feeling of vomiting, bloating and loss of appetite. I rather have UTI than these symptoms. Horrible!"

Kaye8181 March 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "My dr wanted to give me Cipro or Bactrim but since I have a pill complex, I asked for something smaller. He prescribed Macrobid and I came to this site to apparently scare myself before taking it. Well I'm here to tell you that this antibiotic was GREAT! As someone who has colitis and constant headaches, both triggered by virtually anything, neither were affected by this drug. I experienced zero side effects. I took 100mg twice a day for 5 days. I would take 1 capsule right after breakfast and 1 capsule right after dinner so it was always accompanying a meal. 5 days later, urine culture came back negative. This worked great for me! I didn't start feeling pain relief til day 4 though. Hang in there and take with meals."

keleliwei22 (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "I've taken two doses after my gall baldder surgery. The first one left my lips swollen and a bit numb. In about 1 hour, my face felt hot and looked flushed. I felt tingling in my legs. The second time I took it (which was today) after 1hr I felt my face really flushed again and it was red. My chest broke out in a rash. Now I feel flu like symptoms and I have a slight fever. I feel aches all over. I'm calling my doctor on Monday to change antibiotics. I'm not taking this anymore."

Sage09173 March 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Been taking nitrofurantoin for a little less than 24hrs and already I feel anxious nauseous and heavy depression. But to be fair I haven't been taking them with food in me considering I have a loss of appetite due to my UTI. This is my second UTI and I don't remember me having severe side effects like the one's I'm experiencing with this pill. I'm gonna give it another day and if my symptoms don't get better then I'll be calling in for another prescription."

Rgonzales1421 March 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed Genfura (Nitrofurantoin) after a previous antibiotic was ineffective in curing a UTI. UTI symptoms were completely gone within 3 days, but I had major side effects within hours of taking the first pill. Side effects: Worst flu like symptoms of my life and I nearly went to A&E I was so sick. I had a high fever for 2 days, chills, shallow laboured breathing, no appetite, nausea, constipation, extreme weakness, severe headache and I couldn't leave my bed for 2 days. Strangely the side effects went away as soon as they came on, and 4 days into the medication I feel fine."

UK Genfura (Nitrofurantoin) February 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took it for frequency and burning and hesitancy that I had. I couldn't even walk. But 30 minute after taking it all my symptoms where gone Now today (3 day after first dosage) I have a terrible headache and I'm hungry, I am nauseated but not always. I'm just thinking about those poor animals that they test this drug on them. I also experience cramps and watery diarrhea first day after taking this drug"

Sadafsasa February 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I started Macrobid yesterday and I felt okay but today I've had the most horrible painful stomach cramps and the weirdest constipated diarrhea I have ever had. I am constantly feeling like I need to throw up and the bowel movements and pain are what prompted me to do some Internet digging. I have taken four of 100mg pills in two days and I refuse to take another. At work today I nearly tripped several times and I was disoriented, felt sick, and had difficulty walking straight. There are other meds out there and while I know that everyone reacts differently to medication, I seriously would not wish this stomach/abdominal pain on anyone; it is incessant and keeping me from sleeping. I pray for alleviation tomorrow but fear it may take a few days."

Napoleangirl80 (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Please don't be scared to take this medication. I read the reviews and was horrified, but honestly the drug was very tolerable. I went through 2 other medications for UTI before I was prescribed this one. First it was Bactrim, which a few hours after taking 3rd dose I got hives. Second was Ciprofloxacin Hcl 500mg and I ended up with tendinitis in both legs. Thirdly is Macrobid 100mg 2x a day for 7 days. My advice is to take it with a full meal. Only side effects I get is slight drowsiness, and nausea close to the 12 hours mark of my next dose. Eat large meals before taking Macrobid and then snack throughout the day and drink lots of fluids. You'll be ok."

Lily2006 (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I've taken macrobid for 15 years for recurrent UTIs. I get UTIs about 4-6 times a year (ugh) so I've taken it a ton of times. Macrobid gets rid of my infections every single time without fail. The only side effect I have ever noticed, which is pretty annoying, is nausea for about 2 hours after taking each pill. Once in a blue moon I puke, but not usually. Eating and drinking with the pill lessens the nausea but doesn't totally prevent it. So, it does its job really well and eliminates my infections, but I do cringe when I have to take it because it sucks to endure the nausea."

ShesGotSauce February 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "My first day of being prescribed with the medicine I thought everything will be ok. I took my first pill at 6 p.m at night when I finally got home from work, everything seemed fine. However, at 4:30 a.m I started getting serious abdominal pain and couldn't go to sleep. I started throwing up and had diarrhea, my body was so weak that I started crawling on the floor. This have to be the worst pain ever and I refuse to take it again!"

Shay.. (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "After 10 days on Cipro my UTI did not clear up. Pressure, frequent urination and passing gas through my vagina (yes..Frontal farting...Anyone else have this?). I'm on my 5 th day of Macrobid and have not had any unpleasant side effects...Just some loose BM and gas."

Nelly R February 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I went to the ER and they determined I didn't exactly have a UTI but it was a possibility so they started me on Macrobid. I had never taken it before. Within two days I was hysterical. I had such intense migraines that I fell multiple times and couldn't see straight. My stomach was a mess, I couldn't go to the bathroom, I wanted to sleep but I couldn't fall asleep because my head was pounding too hard. I called my PCP who checked the ER records and told me I had never had a UTI to begin with and to stop the Macrobid ASAP. Once I stopped it the migraines went away, I stopped falling, my gastrointestinal system has now days later, returned to normal."

KTSM February 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection: "Only hours after taking this medication for a UTI I had severe pain in my chest! I thought it was gas and it wasn't until day four of having extreme shortness of breath and lethargy I decided to research what the side effects of this medication are. It looks like many other people have experienced breathing issues as well from taking this. I am stopping it asap and never taking it again!"

Zoe1982 February 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Horrible horrible horrible. I was prescribed this as I interact with most antibiotics. It got rid of my UTI but I was sick, had a 38 degree temperature, major shakes. I still feel lethargic and sick so for me the cons outweigh the pros. I did finish complete the course as it was only for three days- had it been a seven day course I would have stopped taking them."

purple vicky (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I woke up a week or more ago and found myself having to pee frequently. I thought "Oh that's weird." Then it began to smell funky and I decided to go get a urinalysis done. It came back negative, but the doctor gave me some Bactrim anyway. Halfway through my treatment with Bactrim, I had an allergic reaction and called it in. They gave me Macrobid instead, and gosh is it expensive. I took it for a few days for a total of 5 days on antibiotics and my symptoms were gone, but something new was happening. I always felt fatigued and nauseated, especially when I woke up, and when I tried to eat, I felt like my appetite had left me completely. My stools had turned to diarrhea and my stomach always felt uneasy. The doc took me off them."

Ixie February 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Both extremes of Macrobid are accurate. I've had a lot of UTIs- to the point of having Macrobid prescribed with refills as needed. I never experienced any symptoms and this stuff was like a miracle. Took 24 hrs to kick in and felt great. I didn't get a UTI for 2 years and then just got one. I took Macrobid and it has made me feel horrible! I feel weak, have no energy, am always dizzy, have headaches, diarrhea, bad pain around my lymph nodes and always feel like I need to throw up. Fortunately I'm a sahm (stay at home mom) so I'm able to deal with it at home, but I had to have someone take my child to school because I couldn't get out of bed! Also it feels like it hasn't completely started working. So it can be great and horrible, even with the same person!"

Danielle_3456 February 10, 2017