User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin (Page 3)

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection
7.2

Urinary Tract Infection
4.9

Bladder Infection
4.8

Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 5.7 725 reviews

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Worst medicine ever!!! Went to the ER & was diagnosed with a UTI so this med was prescribed! I've been in bed now 2 days straight! The headaches & body aches are just ridiculous! Not to mention I don't have an appetite but I've been throwing up off & on! This medicine made me worse than I was in the beginning! This is my first & last time taking this that's for sure!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection: "I love this drug. A previous horrible experience with Cipro (severe diarrhea, dizziness, lethargy, extreme weight loss, and an inability to digest any of my normal foods for about 2 years) left me really afraid of the consequences of taking antibiotics again. I went in to the dr refusing to take Cipro again. He gave me nitrofurantoin. I had NO side effects. NO stomach upset. NO problems whatsoever. I just felt better within a day. I will say that I did need to take a second 7 day course to fully rid me of the infection, but it was so easy that I did not really care. If I need this drug again, I will ask for a longer course next time. And it is CHEAP."

W. In Oly (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Please please please don't use this drug! Was put on it for a bladder infection that I didn't even know I had and have been nothing but miserable. When I first started taking it 100 mg twice a day I noticed that I had severe nausea even though I took it with food. Then body pains and head pains came. My head would feel so heavy that I could barely hold it up and my ears felt as if they were full of fluid. Then came the vision problems and trouble balancing and basically walking. I had to take time off work because I have been have a mental breakdown because of this drug. I am constantly crying or in full on panic attacks, I feel like any day could be my last. Please don't take this pill its not worth it! I'm praying this won't be forever."

shadoow012 (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "The day after I started taking this I started having major leakage and had no warning. I also had diarrhea but thought it was something I ate. I have been off of it for 5 days and still peeing while I sleep, while I walk. It's annoying. Plus I still have the UTI. Not a fan of this medication."

jillwalter1 August 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Was prescribed Macrobid by my physician for UTI. On the third day of taking this medicine, my hands became numbed. It was so bad that when I was driving to work, my left hand slipped off the steering wheel. Talking about scared. I thought I was going to drive off the bridge. They need to do something about this medicine. Because the severe side effect that I received, this medication is dangerous. I'm still suffering from weakness from both hands. And it's very scary when I have to go somewhere. I never thought that I would get this bad reaction from this medication."

Ambitious August 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "After visiting my consultant for nearly 18 months, I'd had a cyscopy, dilation of the bladder, instillations of a drug to replenish the gag layer of my bladder (which didn't work I just got more infections from this), horrendous flare ups daily caused by sex, certain foods and drinks. They put me on nitrofurantoin, one 50mg tablet each night, I've been taking it for the last month and I've not had any side effects or any flare ups, until yesterday when I ran out and I've been in pain since. I cannot wait to pick up my new prescription, this tablet has truly been a god send and I feel like it's given me my life back."

Mel210983 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I've had UTI's before that have been treated with Cipro with no side effects. This last infection was pretty bad and the physician I saw prescribed Macrodantin, which I had never used. The first dose gave me a severe headache and then second dose put me almost under. The leg cramps were so severe my husband wanted to take me to the Emergency room. They were so painful and came so often until I was scared. I had to call in sick from work because they kept coming and I threw up and was very fatigued. I drank tonic water and orange juice which helped the cramps so I'm calling my physician for Cipro first thing in the morning and I'll list this medication as an allergy from now on. The side effects were horrible and outweighed the benefits."

Sassy m77 (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was diagnosed with a UTI about 2 weeks ago and was put on this medicine for 7 days. The burning and urgency symptoms went away, but I still feel "uncomfortable". I called my doctor and she refilled my prescription, so after another 7 days if I'm not better, I will go back in to see what's going on. I take the pill once in the morning and once at night (with food). Symptoms: I've taken this medication before and maybe it's just me, but I feel like my mood changes when I'm on it. I feel super emotional and just get super upset and even feel angry at times. So ready to be off of it in a few days..."

ava5710 (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Well like so many others I have to say I had extreme nausea for 3 days while taking this followed by a day of vomiting. I called my GP who told me to stop it immediately. I have never had a reaction to antibiotics before. On the other hand after taking just 3 doses on the first day the burning pain and need to urinate was gone! I also too 400mg ibruprofen for the flank pain. So yes it did work very fast at targeting my UTI symptoms which was great, but it left my lethargic, feeling terribly sick and throwing up after 3 days of doses. Worth trying if you are experiencing a severe UTI, but not as a first try!"

KatieDenwood July 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I get a couple UTI's a year. I always take Macrobid. If I take 10-20 billion probiotics 2 hours after taking the Macrobid, I'm fine. No yeast infections or nausea. You must replenish your flora after each pill. It is a must! When I didn't, I used to have all the bad symptoms you read about. Even after my course is done I continue to take the probiotics for another week or more."

Linhar July 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "I was getting extremely painful monthly UTIs before starting Nitrofurantoin. I tried everything - peeing after sex, cranberry juice, you name it, but nothing worked. I haven't had a UTI in over two years now since I started taking the drug. Truly a life saver."

Mo555 July 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection: "Had this antibiotic twice both times for a UTI. First time for 7 days, only side effect was coloured urine, cleared up the infection. Just came off it for the second time, this time a 3 day course twice a day. Side effects were more prominent this time, had exhaustion a few hours after the first tablet, had a 14 hour sleep the same day due to the extreme tiredness. Third day woke up feeling extremely nauseous with a green tinge to my skin and proceeded to vomit numerous times, followed by a sore throat and pain when swallowing for the rest of the day. Now I'm off them the only remaining side effect is the urine colour. Not sure if UTI gone but symptoms have settled down."

umbrellamickey July 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. I had a great experience with Macrobid. I am actually allergic to a few meds so I was relieved to have one for a mean UTI I got over the last few days. I actually started taking it Macrobid, 100MG twice daily for 7 days, BEFORE coming to this site to read the reviews. Firstly, it says to take it with food or milk, so many probably didn't follow those directions b/c it will give you nausea/vomiting if you don't. The only side effect I've had is drowsiness. But my doctor also prescribed me with metronidazole 500mg, taken twice daily WITH the Macrobid to offset symptoms that can bring on a yeast infection etc. I only get UTIs once or twice a year, but this one reared it's ugly head and Macrobid worked wonders for me."

K Monique (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Was diagnosed with a kidney infection last Friday and was prescribed MacroBID by the doctor...100mg four times a day. I have to say the side effects aren't great... I had vomiting on the Saturday evening and banging headaches the entire time I was taking them, however these eased with paracetamol and the main thing is the kidney infection felt a lot, lot better after 2 days. It's not the perfect drug but it's not horrendous."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Prescribed to me for a stubborn UTI, after Bactrim didn't seem to work. Took once a day for 10 days. Had no negative side effects, but didn't clear up my UTI either."

OneWithFrequentUTI's (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I am 66 yr. old and get a lot of UTI's after going on the bike, in the pool, and apparatus at the gym that causes friction in that area. I usually get ciproflaxcin, which doesn't affect me much. But, Macrobid, causes, stomach troubles, nausea, chest and lung problems, chills, fevers, dizziness, palpitations, headaches, and more. I didn't have time to say " no" to the walk in doc. who gave me this again, but, I will never, ever, use it again. I know it going to take another week, to get " semi- normal" again, but, this med takes me down every time."

EllyMay77 (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Before I started my antibiotic course of nitro, I read all the reviews online about it and was terrified to take it! But after being on Bactrim and cipro and neither clearing up my infection I was equally scared my infection would never go away so I took nitro anyway and was expecting to have terrible side effects. However after just 2 pills I noticed my infection was FINALLY going away. I am so happy. The only side effects I have is muscle aches. Just remember side effects are temporary guys. I am grateful for this antibiotic so far."

Pizzaturtles (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was given this medicine for the 2nd time yesterday. I have had it before no issues but this time not the case. I took my first dose at night and this morning my feet and hands are burning and itchy. I keep rubbing the bottom of my feet under my desk to see if it will stop. I am dizzy, headache and my pain is actually worse. I get UTIs all the time and usually use other meds but the CVS Minute clinic gives this one for some reason. I will NOT be taking anymore and will be going back to get a different medicine."

ChyHoney July 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I took Macrobid a few months ago for my UTI. Worked great. No side effects. This time after getting a UTI again, I was prescribed Macrobid again but this time I'm getting all the side effects. Fever, chill, body aches, fatigue, nauseated.. etc etc. I will probably stop using it now. My UTI does feel a bit better though."

Mwwong (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "MOST people who write reviews here are those who have had negative experiences, which can all scare you away from taking a medication, so I decided to write a positive one for a change. I'd had symptoms of a UTI/bladder infection for several weeks and all my urine tests came up negative for UTI but my MD decided to put me on this anyway based on my symptoms. I'd never taken it before & I'm VERY leery of taking new meds, but I didn't have any real problems with it. I had some mild wooziness and headache the first day and that was it, no other side effects. However I'm only giving it an 8/10 because it doesn't feel like it completely got rid of my symptoms. "

AntKristi July 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: "Before starting on this drug I was going through a nasty cycle of UTIs & thrush. I would get a UTI due to intercourse, & after taking antibiotics to treat it I would then develop thrush. The cycle happened about 7 or 8 times over the course of a year, even though my husband & I were taking every preventative measure possible and following drs advice (wash before and after, pee within 5 minutes, drink lots of water etc). I even saw a urologist to try & get to the bottom of it. I couldn't break the cycle until I was prescribed this. I don't take it daily; after we have had intercourse I take one as a preventative. Since starting this medication I have not had one UTI. I have no side effects. It has greatly improved my quality of life."

jthsrm (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This is the third antibiotic in 2 weeks used for a UTI. Yes the drug has been effective in healing the infection. However. It would not be my 1st choice. I've had muscle pain in my legs and feet Exhaustion. Insomnia.grotesque nightmares. Weakness unsteadiness walking. Nausea dry mouth with a taste of metal in my mouth.."

H Rose (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Macrobid immediately helps get rid of my UTIs and I am prone to very bad ones because of some preexisting conditions. Once on a trip I happened to luckily have a spare one floating around in my toiletries that I took when I realized that I had developed a UTI and, in spite of not having a full regime, it still got rid of it. HOWEVER, I do have an EXTREME reaction to Macrobid. It gives me the most EXCRUCIATING body pains a couple hours after taking it. The best way that I can describe it is like acid in my veins or my nerves spasming nonstop. I vomit, cry, and can't even stand, bend, or roll over in bed without exacerbating the pain, making me nonfunctional. After about 2 hours it goes away but it is awful until then."

MorganHeidi June 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed 6 pills for a bladder infection I got after a surgery. I took the first dose, 1 pill, on Friday evening. Everything seemed fine until Saturday afternoon. By this time I had taken 2 pills. A severe headache settled in so I took some Tylenol. I started to noticed I was getting really gassy. The medicine also started working at this point. It was no longer painful urinating the entire time but rather only as the bladder became empty. Took my 3rd pill and went to bed. Woke up around 4am feeling like I had the flu. Skin was hot, body aches, and I had chills. Headache was also back ten fold. Now the gas has turned into painful gas cramps. I won't be taking more until I talk to my doc Monday morning."

Sdmapps June 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed Nitrofurantoin(7 days) after Trimethoprim wasn't working after 3 days. What started as a urine infection got further up and spread to bladder & kidneys. I immediately looked online at reviews of Nitrofurantoin and was scared to death about taking it after what I read. I took it at 8am and 8pm WITH food (just 2 slices of toast or 2 weetabix was enough for me to not feel sick after taking it) BUT for me, if I got up and tried to do too much just after taking the tablet I'd feel a bit sick. So for the first hour after taking it i'd just sit and relax and then I'd be fine! The only side effect I got was a bit of a dry mouth. I started feeling the tablet working after 2 days. Definitely recommend this! U.K. England"

Tot3690 June 23, 2017