User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin (Page 3)

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 34 reviews 29 medications

6.9
Urinary Tract Infection 301 reviews 185 medications

4.9
Bladder Infection 165 reviews 81 medications

4.8
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 500 reviews 5.5

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "I was given this drug to prevent an infection because I passed a kidney stone. After taking 2 doses, I ended up in the ER and was admitted to the hospital for 3 days! I went to the ER because of 103.1 fever along with severe shakes and disorientation, I passed out twice in the ER. I began feeling better the next day, butI had to stay the 3 days because of a rapid heartbeat. I am a very healthy 40 year old female, but this drug really did a number on me. Will never take it again!"

BankingLady July 5, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "First pill caused a slight tingling and numbness in lips, tongue, fingers and toes. Second dose twelve hours later caused much worse numbness and tingling, pain in hands, along with a very bad headache. Called physician in AM and she advised me to stop medication immediately which I did. She advised me to wait 24 hrs before using new script, she will call in for another antibiotic. Numbness and tingling lasted 48 hrs. after stopping meds. Will not try again!"

DMDEMA July 3, 2016

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "Getting many reoccurring uti's so starting taking one a night for 4 months and I've been perfect ever since! I did have mad itching with my hands legs and head but I took some piritin antihistamine for a few nights and I never got the itch after! I'm afraid to stop taking this drug as its been so amazing for me!"

Dee-78 July 3, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Lower back pain gone after 1st day of this medicine. Nausea is horrible - taking phenegran to offset nausea. I'm lethargic and resting. This stuff must be strong - but I'd take bed rest and nausea over a knife in my back anyway!!! I'm on 2X daily WITH FOOD for 5 days. I'm on day 3."

Amy Aggie (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "When taking macrobid I felt slightly nauseous and had a headache for a few hours. My advice is to eat a light meal with it. I didn't hence I felt sick. After 5 days symptoms improved though. Glad I stuck through it the last 4-5 days :)"

Teppers (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed this medication for my uti. I was asked to take it 2 times a day for 5 days. I took the first dose before I went to bed. I woke up at around 6 with chills. I went to use the bathroom and fainted. I was very dizzy the entire day. I couldn't walk without getting help. I couldn't sleep because of horrible lower abdominal pains I was having. I also had very bad chest pains. The next day I woke my body was in so much pain. I had sharp pains in my stomach the entire day. I stopped taking these pills and I would never recommend them to anyone."

Kas_Michelle July 2, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I used to get utis ALL THE TIME. Sulfate never work for me. Went to an old country doctor who prescribed me 100 50mg tablets. Told me to take one before and after sex. It has changed my world. Used to be that if my husband and I had sex and I didn't urinate immediately afterwards, you could BET I was getting one. Haven't had one in two years since staring this regiment."

Mommakate (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was feeling generally unwell last week and visited my doctor who did urine dipstick test and told me there were 'white blood cells' found and prescribed Nitrofurantoin 50mg 4 times a day for 7 days. About two days after I started taking them I had extremely dry mouth, horrendous headache and felt generally unwell as though the parts of my body were disjointed. I also started to think very disturbed depressive thoughts and prone to tears. The headache became unbearable and there was no sign of improvement in my condition so after five days of suffering on tablets I stopped taking them and rang my GP who told me my urine sample had come back from lab and it showed no sign of infection!!!!!! All this for nothing!!!! I was so upset."

V179 (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed Nitrofurantoin 3 separate times for UTI's. The first time it cleared up the infection immediately. The 2nd time I accidentally left the last two pills behind at a place we stayed so I wasn't able to complete the prescription. The 3rd time it cleared up the infection after two days. Each time I was prescribed 100 mg. 2 tablets a day for 7 days. The only side effect I had was it made me a little more tired than usual. The relief it brought was amazing and very soon. I would ask for it again as the Sulfa was resistant to the bacteria I had. Also, I didn't have any other side effects besides slight drowsiness."

Chorks June 27, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Recurring infection and two courses of different medications prior to macro bid. It started working in 24hrs but did have headache and visual episode, plus dizzy spell over course of five days. Relief of the infection outweighs side effects."

Jcbumps June 23, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "Not impressed with this drug. I was prescribed a 50mg tablet 4 times a day for 7 days to be taken with food. This was a struggle. Who wants to eat 4 times a day when you've lost your appetite and especially last thing at night for the final dose. Might have been working slightly by the last day but gave up then and am now taking Cefalexin."

Sushiwop June 19, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This medication is horrible. Went urgent care, the doc gave this med to treat kidney infection. Right after first dose I got a migraine and terrible stomach pains. I stopped taking after three days. Now, two days later I feel worse than I did initially. I can't see my dr for five more days. I think I'll go to ER, because I have fever and my kidneys are on fire. I read somewhere that this med is not for kidney infection. Guess I'll find out soon."

Jk6511 June 19, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "3 months ago I was on Macrobid for a UTI. On the 5th day of taking it (last day), I had a hard time breathing during the night and I thought that I was catching a cold or something. It went away fairly quickly so I didn't associate it with this antibiotic until yesterday. I have another UTI and was prescribed Macrobid again. It worked great in taking away my UTI the first time, so I didn't think anything of it. Took the first dose yesterday morning with food and was fine. Took the 2nd dose before bed with food and that's when I realized I made a mistake. I was up ALL night because I was having a HARD time breathing. I felt like I couldn't catch my breath. When I got up this morning and saw the side effects. How scary!"

Weebs123 June 16, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "After having taken Nitrofurantoin for 10 days, the side effects occurred a few hours later. First: hands itching, next day, itching under the armpits, and pubic area, saw no rash. itching behind the ears, itching at center of hairline in the back, upper and lower back, front of neck, blisters on my right shoulder, a few hives on my back, chills, severe neuropathy in feet and hands(almost unbearable burning and itching. Rashes on my neck(in front), at the large chest area, above the breasts, chest pan on and of."

slank June 15, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "I am so glad just googled everyone else's comments, I took 2 tablets yday and was fine .. After breakfast this morning I can honestly say my body hasn't known such pain and ALL over! From my head to my toes, it's hot outside yet I'm inside shaking with shivers and a hot water bottle. My head is pounding, I have a dry mouth, ifeel disorientated... I ache all over, my tummy hurts ...So I've stopped taking it and Dr says to wait and see what happens before I take another antIB. I'm glad I'm not alone as I thought I was going to call 999! Although not glad anyone else has suffered like this. Awful awful drug and F all help from doctors really."

Qazwerty02 (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "After reading the reviews for this antibiotic, I was terrified to even take it. I went to urgent care in Orlando because I had gotten a uti during my vacation in Disney World, so it wasn't even my own doctor prescribing me the medication. I was prescribed 100 mg to take 2 times a day for 7 days. The majority of people claimed to have horrible side effects, but I did not have any, besides small stomach cramps a couple hours after taking the pill. Do not let the reviews scare you. Everyone is different! My only complaint is that it worked so slowly. It took 6 days for all of my symptoms to completely clear up. Now I have to wait and see if the infection comes back."

MirandaPanda14 (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I wish I would have read these reviews before I started taking this medication! I feel soooo sick! I started to wonder if I have something really serious like cancer. I am so weak. One minute I am drenched in sweat and then I have chills so bad no amount of blankets will warm me. I can't get out of bed and I must go to work tomorrow. I am a teacher and I have parent/teacher conferences! I constantly have a fever of 101 or higher! Why would they prescribe this medication to any one. Too many people have the same terrible side effects!"

Ogarc3 (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "Was prescribed this medication for my urine infection. Took first two pills and felt fine. Went to bed and slept until 1am then was woken with the worse cramping in my stomach and groin it made me scream out in pain. Trip to the bathroom and more agony to pass urine and loose motion. Stomach felt swollen and tight. Rest of night was deprived of sleep. Yesterday morning went to the urgent care centre, hardly able to walk with the pain. Dr said id had a bad side effect. No kidding. Now prescribed alternate antibiotic which I hope will be ok. Really scared me never taking these again they are dreadful. Still suffering with cramps 48 hours later, dr advised can take up to 5 days to be fully out of the system. My advice avoid this antibiotic."

Mikkir1865 June 12, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "As a third line of attack against my persistent uti this stuff worked where Amoxyl had failed. No side effects."

Third time lucky June 12, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Second time I have had this tablet nitrofantenoin side effects were nasty this time round down right horrible. After 2 days headache started quite bad, shaky, anxious, irritable dreadful nausea was sick once. Chills. After 4 days feel I have a dreadful illness fast heartbeat stopped taking tablets. Still feel anxious & crying and getting upset so easily. The headache has come back as the day has worn on. Maybe it's fading. I hope so? Will never take this tablet again. UTI gone."

Jenharri June 6, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Prescribed for a UTI. Long story short I thought there was something seriously wrong with me. Sever body aches, joint pain, back, chest, fever up to 101.7, major chills, headache, anxious, depressed, crying, irritable, FATIGUE, weakness, night sweats, tight jaw, the list goes on and on. This medication is dangerous and I'm glad I stumbled across this site because I thought I was going crazy. I have 1 more day of this horrible medication and I'll stick it out because I don't want to have to take anymore antibiotics. 100mg 2x a day for 7 days"

No no no more June 6, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was put on this antibiotic to take after I had sex, it was my last hope I get a UTI every time me and my boyfriend have had sex and have 18 since January. Anyway I took this pill in hope it will be the only thing to work for me I'm only on my second dose so I cannot give an accurate answer but so far my ratings are not good after taking true first pill it worked however the next time I had sex with my boyfriend I took this antibiotic and felt the symptoms of a UTI coming back on, the side effects I experienced on this pill were also fast heart beat, drowsiness, waking up in the middle of the night neaseous and shortness in breath which is very scary when trying to sleep, good luck to anyone taking this antibiotic as I give up."

Elljade June 4, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "50mg for 90 days. Every day I'm nauseated especially after taking the pill, often dry heave, and have even vomitted. Headaches and fatigue. However, my UTI cleared up and I have only experienced one flare up so far. I'd rather have my stomach wretch for a few hours over the pain and discomfort of a UTI."

Ashley Walker (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 3, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Wasted my money on this antibiotic. Made me feel so nauseated for several hours after taking it, & gave me diarrhea, but I tried it for four days, twice daily, hoping it might treat the UTI I had it prescribed for. No such luck Yet. Still having symptoms of burning, urgency and frequency; now I'll be going back to the clinic, to wait for hours and get a new script. Wait in line at the pharmacy, pay more money...Such a waste of precious time, money & sick leave."

Jobogru (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was on Cipro, only 6 pills but after taking the last one I still had UTI symptoms. Was prescribed Nitrofurantoin, can't tell if it's working since I've only taken the first capsule, but the side effects are horrible! All day I had one of the worst headaches ever! Felt weak, fatigued and diahrea. Will call the Dr. today to find out what can I do."

Bubita (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2016